PDA

View Full Version : Which non-DT King book have you read the most?

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I got this idea from Letti's DT thread asking the same.

Now, I am sure The Stand is probably the most popular non-DT King book around here... but I am curious how many times you have read it.

I have read IT more than any (non DT) King book I own. I have read it six or seven times. The Stand is second for me and I believe if I include both versions of it, I have read it four or five times.

I am interested in hearing from you all. I know I will be astonished by some of the answers!

Brice
03-15-2008, 01:16 PM
What??? :beat: Monte wants NON DT talk? :P

j/k

I'm not 100% on which I've read the most. I've probably read It and The Stand (both versions) around a dozen times, EotD, The Talisman are probabbly close behind those too. There are some others I've read several times and with exception to the last few books I can't think of any I haven't read at least three or four times.

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 01:18 PM
@ Brice: :lol: I do like talking about King in general. :P It's not always Dark Tower. :D

A dozen times! Wow! There are many, many King books I've read 2-3 times but like I said, IT is the most so far.

Wow. :)

ManOfWesternesse
03-15-2008, 01:35 PM
It's definitely The Stand.
Probably at least 15 times - maybe 20 max? (It's my most re-read book ever bar only LotR).

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I think I may end up being the only person that has read something more that The Stand. :lol:

Jean
03-15-2008, 01:40 PM
it's It for me, too

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Hooray!!!!! Awesome Jean!! How many times?

Jean
03-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I can't say exactly. I've been reading it since about 1995, approximately once two years.

alinda
03-15-2008, 01:54 PM
The SK books I own and have read numerous times are: Totals are approx.....

The Stand / IT / Talisman / Blk. House / H's in A

6 or 7 x / 6 or 7 x / 5-6 x / 4-5 x / 4 x

Salems Lot / Insomnia / B of B / Rose Madder / Misery /
3x / 4x / 3x / 2 x / 3-4

Delores C. / Needful / Christine / Buick 8 / Desper/Regulator's
3x / 2x / 3x / 2x / 3x

Dead Zone / Shining / Dark 1/2 / Carrie / Eyes of Dragon
2x / 3 x / 3-4x / 3x / 3-4 x

All other stories that I own & have been read @ least 1 time are :

Dreamcatcher, Green Mile, GLTG, Cujo, Tommyknockers, Geralds Game, Cell
Liseys Story, Storm oCent, Blaze, Thinner,Duma Key

Colections By SK, and as RB I own & have read @ least once:

Four past Mid, Diff Sea's, Night Shift, Nightmares& Dreams, Everythings Event.
The Bachman Books,
Lots and lots of short stories, and a few Audio books , like Blood &Smoke ,
and now The Drawing of the Three.

There are still books I'm on the lookout for, and some I have yet to read...
like I have never read Firestarter !!:onfire:

And of course Dark Tower 1-7 Many times over( untold times really)

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Wow Linda, you are quite the avid Constant Reader! :cool:

I recommend Firestarter, I enjoyed it. I've only read it twice though, once in English and once in Spanish (Ojos de Fuego). :)

alinda
03-15-2008, 02:10 PM
I hope to own all of SK's books someday, I think I am only missing 6 or 7.
That's not counting short stories & stuff....but yeah, I do own alot of King books. I am also currently replacing all the old paperbacks with hardbacks
now that I have a library to put them in :)

Rjeso
03-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm actually right with you on the books and number of times I've read them, Monte. IT the most, The Stand the second-most.

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Great minds....:) :cool:

John Blaze
03-15-2008, 02:50 PM
The Stand- i love that book.

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 02:54 PM
How many times JB?

John Blaze
03-15-2008, 02:56 PM
actually, i was just thinking about it, The Stand, maybe 30 times; It, maybe 25

Rose Madder, probably 15

Ruthful
03-15-2008, 03:01 PM
You have to read Firestarter.

Rainbird, notwithstanding the horribly cliched mystical Indian trope our author employs throughout the narrative, is one of the single best villains in the King oeuvre.

I stopped trying to collect King books with the final, eponymous volume in this series. I might buy the trade paperback version of Blaze-not sure yet-and will probably purchase his next short story collection-since those are always good-but that's about it.

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 03:09 PM
actually, i was just thinking about it, The Stand, maybe 30 times; It, maybe 25

Rose Madder, probably 15

Thirty times! Dear God! :cool:

I've only read Roser Madder once. :(

John Blaze
03-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't know why, but Rose Madder is one of my favorites.

I've also read The Green Mile about 20 times.

Ruthful
03-15-2008, 03:37 PM
I like it too, but that is kinda insane.

jhanic
03-15-2008, 03:53 PM
For me, it's definitely The Stand. I actually wore out TWO paperback copies before I finally bought a cheap hardcover as a reading copy.

Second is probably, hold on to your hats, Bag of Bones. For me, that story just rang a lot of bells. It's a close tie to The Green Mile, too. I really enjoyed that story also.

John

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 04:04 PM
And how many times have you read it John?

LadyHitchhiker
03-15-2008, 04:07 PM
The Stand. I've worn out 5 paperbacks of it reading it so much.

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Damn.
Maybe I have too many books and too little time to wear a book out from that many times rereading. :lol:

I thought 7 times was a lot for a book. :lol:

jayson
03-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Stand

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Number of times R_of_G? Any idea?
That is what I am curious about. :)

mia/susannah
03-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Here is my list to the best of my memory.
The Stand--2-3 times
Carrie--2 times
The Dead Zone--2 times
Cujo--1
pet semetary--2 times
Needful things--1
Night Shift--1 and half, still reading for the second time
Skeleton Crew--1
Different Seasons-- have yet to finish all

The Shining is the one that I have read the most. 3-4 times, watched the movie several times:thumbsup:

ATG
03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
4, I think.

Girlystevedave
03-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I've read The Dead Zone, The Talisman, Eyes of The Dragon, and Desperation quite a few times.

alinda
03-15-2008, 05:41 PM
I am home now, and looking at my SK books, I also have
Pet Sematary, read 2x , and Danse Macabre, never finished.
Also there are pb copies of The Running Man, Roadwork, &
The Mist. Pretty good list before from memory tho'.

Along with Sai Kings books sharing that section of
shelves are Robin Furths concordance 1 + complete,
and Bev Vincents Road to DT.

jhanic
03-15-2008, 07:00 PM
And how many times have you read it John?

I've actually lost count! I just know that when the pages started falling out of the book, I went out and bought a new one!

John

Wuducynn
03-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Insomnia

Letti
03-16-2008, 01:27 AM
You amaze me guys... to read a book 20 times. That's something. Whenever I reread a book there is a little voice in the background advising that I should read something new because there are so many good books out there... but thank God that little voice shuts up quite quickly.

There are some books I have read 5 times or so but they are not from King.

jayson
03-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Number of times R_of_G? Any idea?
That is what I am curious about. :)

prob around 9 or 10

Jean
03-16-2008, 04:42 AM
You amaze me guys... to read a book 20 times. That's something. Whenever I reread a book there is a little voice in the background advising that I should read something new because there are so many good books out there... but thank God that little voice shuts up quite quickly.

there's lots of books I've read 20 times or more, but I didn't learn English early enough to have read any King book such a lot of times. It's five or six times for It, three or four for The Stand, and at least two for any other King novel I've managed to get (except those I've listed elsewhere as my least favorite ones, like The Eyes or Lisey's Story). Those figures will grow as I grow older...

blackrose22
03-16-2008, 05:43 AM
The Stand maybe about 6 times and IT over a dozen times.

Brice
03-16-2008, 05:52 AM
Damn.
Maybe I have too many books and too little time to wear a book out from that many times rereading. :lol: Maybe, but I have over a thousand books, have read probably 90% of them, and still keep going back to King books. I haven't really worn out a King book, but I am VERY careful with them.

I thought 7 times was a lot for a book. :lol: It is. :lol:

Brice
03-16-2008, 05:56 AM

Well, I'm always reading new books too. At any given time I might be reading as many as twenty books at once. Usually at least one or two are by King.

alinda
03-16-2008, 06:03 AM
20 @ a time? :panic:
I like my books, like I
like my men,
1 at a time !! :lol:

Brice
03-16-2008, 06:06 AM
:rofl:

obscurejude
03-16-2008, 06:24 AM
I've read the Talisman 3 or 4 times.

I've read IT 3 or 4 times.

I've read Different Seasons 3 or 4 times.

MonteGss
03-16-2008, 07:11 AM
Insomnia

Wow, I wouldn't have guess that. Do you know how many times you've read it?

MonteGss
03-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Well, I'm always reading new books too. At any given time I might be reading as many as twenty books at once. Usually at least one or two are by King.

I do sometimes have two going at once but not very often. If I were to count audios (which i really don't), I would have three going at once occasionally. Mostly though, I am reading one and listening to one on my commute.

I admire your dedication to reading Brice...20 at once! How can you keep storylines straight? :lol:

John Blaze
03-16-2008, 07:31 AM

I do sometimes have two going at once but not very often. If I were to count audios (which i really don't), I would have three going at once occasionally. Mostly though, I am reading one and listening to one on my commute.

I admire your dedication to reading Brice...20 at once! How can you keep storylines straight? :lol:

I'm usually reading about 4 or 5 books at a time.

Wuducynn
03-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Insomnia

Wow, I wouldn't have guess that. Do you know how many times you've read it?

Somewhere around 17 times.

Brice
03-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Simple...I can't. :lol: Well, of course that's not true. Within a couple pages of picking a book back up it comes back to me what was going on. I usually don't read quite that many at once these days (since the internet has swallowed my soul), but anyway I've just always read alot...everything I could get my hands on.

Wuducynn
03-17-2008, 04:03 PM
(since the internet has swallowed my soul).

No, that was me. I spit it back out because it tasted like shit.

cozener
03-17-2008, 04:48 PM
If the Dark Tower is being judged as one book and I stood it up against Salem's Lot and The Stand they beat The Dark Tower. But still, DT remains King's lulling green flame, drawing me like a cat watching the flame that cooks the witch's brew. A fantastic flame that drew me in and still keeps me in King's universe.

But I have a hard time choosing between Salem's Lot and The Stand. They're both great books. I've always loved gothic horror and Salem's Lot is my favorite vampire story to date. But The Stand is my favorite apocalyptic yarn. The buildup, action, and drama are totally different but just as enjoyable as the other. They're neck and neck. If someone who simply had to know for reasons of national security waterboarded me for an answer I'd pick Salem's Lot completely on the grounds of seniority.

Wuducynn
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
If the Dark Tower is being judged as one book and I stood it up against Salem's Lot and The Stand they beat The Dark Tower. But still, DT remains King's lulling green flame, drawing me like a cat watching the flame that cooks the witch's brew. A fantastic flame that drew me in and still keeps me in King's universe.

But I have a hard time choosing between Salem's Lot and The Stand. They're both great books. I've always loved gothic horror and Salem's Lot is my favorite vampire story to date. But The Stand is my favorite apocalyptic yarn. The buildup, action, and drama are totally different but just as enjoyable as the other. They're neck and neck. If someone who simply had to know for reasons of national security waterboarded me for an answer I'd pick Salem's Lot completely on the grounds of seniority.

I hate you.

cozener
03-17-2008, 04:55 PM
:nana:

Wuducynn
03-17-2008, 04:58 PM
:nana:

I HATE YOU DANCING BANANA MAN, BURN IN HELL!!!!

MonteGss
03-17-2008, 05:53 PM

Do you have any idea how many times you've read Salem's Lot, Cozener?
How about The Stand?

Unfound One
03-18-2008, 01:50 AM
Ahh, I can only aspire to someday be able to claim the large numbers you all have here...
I'm just getting started on Sai King's other books, having read The
Stand and 'Salem's Lot this summer, and I can't believe I've waited this long to enter his world!

I have Bag of Bones, The Shining, and Misery sitting on my bookshelf, but I'm currently re-reading Dark Tower again... :)

*edit*
Sorry, that was a bit off topic in this thread...

Wuducynn
03-18-2008, 05:18 AM
Ahh, I can only aspire to someday be able to claim the large numbers you all have here...
I'm just getting started on Sai King's other books, having read The
Stand and 'Salem's Lot this summer, and I can't believe I've waited this long to enter his world!

I have Bag of Bones, The Shining, and Misery sitting on my bookshelf, but I'm currently re-reading Dark Tower again... :)

*edit*
Sorry, that was a bit off topic in this thread...

Pick up Rose Madder, not only is it a fantastic book, but it is Dark Tower connected. :harrier:

ManOfWesternesse
03-18-2008, 06:25 AM
You amaze me guys... to read a book 20 times. .......
Ah, but you're only a youngster yet Letti! Think how many times you'll have read them when you're as old mature as me. :lol:

I like my books, like I
like my men,
me too! Me too!
WAIT! - women that is.. *sheepish* - Oh, no wait, that's Jon's territory.....

Wuducynn
03-18-2008, 06:39 AM
women that is.. *sheepish* - Oh, no wait, that's Jon's territory.....

Boy, someone needs to take you to the Death Camp of Tolerance! Its not "women" you misogynistic, patriarcal, pig! Its "womyn"!

cozener
03-18-2008, 06:43 AM

How about The Stand? Yes...I do. :)

Justin Case
03-18-2008, 06:52 AM
For me it's also IT but I loved Skeleton Crew too.... Salem's Lot, Dreamcatcher, Bag of Bones and Duma Key are great too. Love the stand but not as much as the aforementioned:ninja:

Storyslinger
03-18-2008, 07:00 AM
MIne would have to be either Eyes of the Dragon or Black House.

MonteGss
03-18-2008, 07:52 AM

How about The Stand? Yes...I do. :)

And won't you share this with us? :)

Wuducynn
03-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Dancing Banana Man never tells, Monte. You should know that.

MonteGss
03-18-2008, 07:57 AM
:lol: Oh....well then he should stay the hell out of this thread! :lol:
I want answers!!! Damnit! :lol:

It's alright Cozener, I know you can't really read anyway. :P

cozener
03-18-2008, 11:21 AM
And won't you share this with us? :)

Ah thats what you wanted to know? I thought you were asking if I knew how many times I'd read the books. It struck me as a rather odd question. :lol: I've read all three once. I'll get around to rereading The Stand and Salem's Lot. These two I'm sure I'll reread a few times but with DT, I'll likely reread 1 to 4 then 7...the last half of 7 anyway.

fernandito
03-18-2008, 11:24 AM
I've read Desperation at least 6 times; It was my first King book, and it will forever be my favorite.

Jean
03-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I've read Desperation at least 6 times; It was my first King book, and it will forever be my favorite.
am going to start re-reading it tonight. It will be the fourth time.

Wuducynn
03-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Fucking dancing bananas. They are SO dense.

Unfound One
03-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Pick up Rose Madder, not only is it a fantastic book, but it is Dark Tower connected. :harrier:

I'll add it to my reading list.
My plan for the summer: Read as much Stephen King as humanly possible.
My birthday's in May and I'm hoping for LOTS of Barnes & Noble gift cards :)

Wuducynn
03-18-2008, 03:55 PM
My plan for the summer: Read as much Stephen King as humanly possible.

Smart plan

My birthday's in May and I'm hoping for LOTS of Barnes & Noble gift cards :)

Hell yeah. :harrier:

John Blaze
03-18-2008, 07:59 PM
:lol: Oh....well then he should stay the hell out of this thread! :lol:
I want answers!!! Damnit! :lol:

It's alright Cozener, I know you can't really read anyway. :P

"You want Answers?"

"I want the TRUTH!"

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

cozener
03-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Fucking dancing bananas. They are SO dense.Yeah...it does help one gain a better perspective when he bothers to read the original post before answering it... :blush:

LadyHitchhiker
05-07-2008, 04:03 PM
The Stand... definitely.. hands down...

Ves'Ka Gan
06-01-2008, 02:26 PM
First place is tied probably between The Stand (unabridged) and The Dark Half.

I've read those two at least half a dozen times each. The Stand because it is one of the greatest King books IMO, and The Dark half because I just feel for Thad. I adore him in some weird way. I actually made my fiance agree to name our first boy baby Thaddeus.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-01-2008, 02:30 PM
I like my books, like I
like my men,

I, too, like my books like I like my men---TWO at a time!!:rock:

Just kidding. I am a one-man kind of woman, but I like reading two to three books @ a time, especially if I am not writing anything very challenging.

LemurJones
06-05-2008, 02:27 PM
This is a hard thing for me to pin down. I know I have read The Talisman and Black House twice each. I know I have read Salem's Lot and Needful Things three or four times each... I might have read the Bachman Books (It was four in one book) three times, although some stories (Rage, probably) I read a lot more. My mom's had the paperback for Insomnia since I was 8 or 9, so I'm pretty sure I've read that one at least 4 or 5 times, maybe more. I've read his collections once each except for Skeleton Crew which I read twice. I've read The Stand a lot of times, but I am really confused about how many times because I kept not realizing that I was switching between editions each time I read it, and it was driving me nuts how it kept ending differently each readthrough. I've read Eyes of the Dragon twice but I probably won't ever again because I read some really horrible Thomas-Flagg pedo-slash fanfic. IT I read twice and will probably read again. The Green Mile I also read twice.

A lot of his books I've only read once, and will probably not read them too many more times, although I'll probably read Lisey's Story, Cell, and From a Buick 8 a few more times because I like them. And I will definitely read the Talisman and Black House a lot more times because they are awesome.

...this sort of makes me want to make a Lemur-Reads-King Timeline, lol.

turtlex
06-05-2008, 02:29 PM
I've read The Stand probably 10 times. It's my favorite after the DT series.

MonteGss
06-06-2008, 06:00 AM
IT and The Stand are my top 2 besides DT. IT is ahead and I am currently listening to it on my iPod. :)
I think this takes IT to somewhere in the 8-10 range. I honestly don't remember.

theBeamisHome
06-06-2008, 07:03 AM
I think I've read Everything's Eventual the most (and I do mean basically the whole thing) and that would be about 4 or five times. But that's only because I'm constantly separated from my collection. I'm a college student and I kind of consider myself homeless now. I just stay with family members and skip around houses.. Most of my books are in my parents' place in New Jersey tho. :(

MonteGss
12-20-2008, 07:56 AM
I plan to start The Stand again sometime in early 2009. Once I do, I think it will replace IT as the (non DT) book I've read the most...somewhere in the 7-10 range. I honestly don't know the exact number.

Ben Mears
12-20-2008, 09:14 AM
'Salems's Lot annually since 1976.

MonteGss
12-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Wow!! Impressive!!! I just listened to that a couple months ago. It was the first time I visited the story since I read it years ago. I liked the audio version just as much as I enjoyed reading it years ago. :)

Ben Mears
12-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Monte

I agree. Ron McLarty does a fantastic job with 'Salem's Lot on the audio book.

Redsoxtony13
12-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Pet Sematary - 13 times ( had this book with me while I was deployed during my Marine days)
Shawshank and The Body - at least 10 times each
The Stand - 8 times
Low Men I Yellow Coats - 6 times
It - 5 times

Tiffany
01-08-2009, 11:58 AM
The Talisman, maybe five times.

Insomnia, The Regulators and Desperation, Gerald's Game probably three times a piece.

Quite a lot of others have been read twice.

LadyHitchhiker
02-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I think a lot of the books ARE tower related....

All the ones I liked had some reference to the dark tower in some way or had a character in them that was in the dark tower series..

The Lady of Shadows
02-01-2009, 01:21 PM
wow. how have i not seen this thread before?

it's a tie between bag of bones and rose madder. and the talisman.
then all the short story collections.

MonteGss
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I think a lot of the books ARE tower related....

All the ones I liked had some reference to the dark tower in some way or had a character in them that was in the dark tower series..

Liz, for the purpose of this thread....if the novel doesn't have the words The Dark Tower in the title, than it isn't a DT book. So, even though we all know The Stand, IT, Salem's Lot, etc, all have connections to our favorite series...that is not the question at hand.

It is: Which non-DT book have you read the most and how many times?
:)
I'm curious.

I still haven't started The Stand again...but I'm getting closer.

ClicheGuevara
02-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Looks like I'm with the majority here, The Stand.

candy
02-10-2009, 11:47 AM
i too have read the stand a fair few times, i approx 5? i have only read IT once, but i have re read four past midnight about 10 times. fire starter about 4 times. the shining thrice, i think i have all of SK books and have read them all twice (except IT - which is a recent buy)

AlishaRiley
02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Oh, mine would be Misery.
Either that, or Pet Sematary.
Wuthering Heights is straggling at the rear.
Yes, Wuthering Heights, random, I know.

stone, rose, unfound door
02-10-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't actually know for sure which one I've read the most but I guess Desperation and The Long Walk must be in the most read list.

MonteGss
02-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Wow, The Long Walk. I liked it but I don't remember too many people saying that that story is on their most read list. :thumbsup:

Jon
02-11-2009, 12:47 AM
The Stand

MonteGss
02-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Do you know how many times you've read it Jon? I think I'm at 5 for The Stand. I can't wait to read it again. :)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-11-2009, 01:36 AM
Pet Sematary, 3 times
Stand and It twice

I dont reread much, too many books......such a short lifetime

Sam
02-11-2009, 02:22 AM
Let's see, Cycle of the Werewolf more times than I can count/remember (certainly more than 30, maybe more than 40) and EotD about a dozen times. Those two are in the lead for me. The others I've read one, two, or three times but no more than that.

at_one
02-19-2009, 11:05 PM
The Stand. More then a half dozen, less then a dozen times read....

Lost Rose
03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I'd have to say Duma Key..if you can count listening to the audio book, too. Each time I read, or listen to it I find something else I like..or missed.

Myste
10-05-2009, 07:27 AM
The Stand and The Talisman + Black House

lowdown
10-06-2009, 02:12 PM
the stand at 3 times ...and it seems to be the main book most folks re-read .....eyes of the dragon 2 times ......i personllay love the book .......its like a terry brooks book almost with a SK twist .........

divemaster
10-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I first read The Stand (my very first King book, actually) in 1984 and I've read it approx. once every 2-3 years since then. So, 11-12 times?

I've read most of King's books twice. 'Salem's Lot 3 times for sure and Christine probably 4 times. Night Shift and Skeleton Crew probably 4 times each.

But definitely The Stand is the hands-down winner.

Sickrose
10-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I have read 'It' three times and was thinking about starting it again soon! Also I have read 'The Regulators' four times.

Delah
10-16-2009, 05:43 AM
Huh. It would probably be a tie between It and the Stand, for me.

It 'cause it was the first Stephen King book I ever read, when I was eleven. When everyone else my age was reading R.L. Stine and Goosebumps, I read It, and there was no going back to lesser horror books. I've revisited it a lot since then. For some reason, its a book I love to read when I'm sick -- which happens a lot -- its spooky but comfortable to curl up with.

I've re-read the Stand quite a few times as well. As much as I love It (the book, not the murderous clown) The Stand just seems to have a fascination that It doesn't have. I'd say I've probably read both books at least seven times and probably more.

ewald
10-16-2009, 06:53 AM
I've read The Green Mile three times. And there will be a fourth time one day as well.

ConstanToweReader
11-05-2009, 09:37 AM
The Stand at least 10
IT same as the Stand
The Girl who Loves Tom Gordon 5 or 6
Night Shift many times (These are my most reread books of his)
The Green Mile 2
Rose Madder 2
The Shining 3 or more
Salem's Lot 2 or 3
Insomnia 2
The Dark half 2
Firestarter 3
Carrie 2
I've worn out several copies of The Stand and IT

subie09lega
05-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Looks like I'm way late to this post (and the site as well :) )
I've read a few of them a couple times and I think that's the most of any of them, twice.
Salem's Lot
Christine
Misery
Pet Sematary
The Eyes of the Dragon
The Tommyknockers - second reading in progress

I have several others on the list to read, just don't have enough time to get to all the ones on the list.

ICry4Oy
05-29-2013, 04:30 PM
I guess I'm the weirdo in the house. Never in my life have I read any book more than once. I don't even like watching a movie or tv show I've seen before.

Merlin1958
05-29-2013, 05:01 PM
LOTR, almost annually!!!

Jean
05-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Looks like I'm way late to this post (and the site as well :) )
No, you're not! You're perfectly in time.

I guess I'm the weirdo in the house. Never in my life have I read any book more than once. I don't even like watching a movie or tv show I've seen before.
yes, this is something bears can't understand at all...

LOTR, almost annually!!!
I hate to break it to you, Bill, but LoTR is not a King book...

Merlin1958
05-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Oops, thought it said Non-King book. My bad!!!

subie09lega
05-30-2013, 09:15 AM
My non-King book is To Kill a Mockingbird. Read it several times. (just continuing with the non-King theme :) )

Oops, thought it said Non-King book. My bad!!!

Empath of the White
05-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Black House. I love the Thunder 5.

Merlin1958
05-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Black House. I love the Thunder 5.

Yeppers!!! Black House would be my fav as well!!!

Highbury
05-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Out of King's books, I'd have to say Carrie. Read it 4 or 5 times.

Roland of Gilead 33
06-27-2013, 04:44 PM
honestly i dunno, i've read the Shining a few times. i dunno the numbers though. really The Regulators i thought that one was terrible but to each their own. Desperation i've read 3 or 4 times. It oh it has to be about 10 times by now. i'm 700 pages into IT now. i've been reading off and on that's why it's taking me so long. "The Stand' is my favorite one. i've read that at least 5 or 6 times. i no doubt have read IT more times but i also read that before i ever started "The Stand' and actually for those 2 it's kinda of a tie on which one i love more.

i've also read Rose Madder a couple times, Insommina. i've read a couple times. i've read the 1st DT books a few times as well. the (2003) edition only once though. and this was before W&G ever came out. and after it came out as well. i've read The Tommyknockers a few times as well.

Bag of Bones at least 3 or 4 times. The Dark half a few times as well. that's all i got for now without looking up each of his novels. that's what i got from the top of my head.

rico567
07-22-2013, 03:30 PM
The Stand, followed by The Tommyknockers.

Nick Stefanos
02-26-2014, 07:20 AM
The Stand (more times than I'd admit) and then Insomnia

webstar1000
02-28-2014, 11:35 AM
DARK TOWER!~

webstar1000
02-28-2014, 11:35 AM
haha and IT.

Saintmatthew
03-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Salem's Lot for me. I've read it countless times. Really. I'd say ay least 25 times front to back but it also was in the bookrack in the shitter for years and was one of the books I oculd just pick up, open to a random page and read while doing the business. Dune, LOTR and a couple others hung out in that rack too but I can probably recite Salem's Lot from memory. The weirdest part about reading it now, compared to even 10 years ago, is how much the world has changed. I'll also admit to liking the 4 hour miniseries made for TV way back in the 70s, despite all the differences it was creepy as hell when I was a kid.

stroppygoblin
03-08-2014, 04:04 AM
The Long Walk, by a country mile... :) 30 plus times, then The Stand - usually once a year.

blunthead
03-17-2014, 02:51 PM
As for non-DT sK books, I've only read one more than once, which is On Writing. I didn't start reading sK 'til 2006, and I'm a slow reader, both in the sense of not reading very constantly (:() and taking a relatively long time to get thru a page. There are a number of sKs I've read which I'd like to reread, tho; in fact, I can't think of one which I wouldn't.

jonahwriter
04-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Probably "IT", followed closely by "Misery" and "Gerald's Game". I think I've re-read those 3 the most.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-01-2014, 11:30 AM
This thread has spurred me into rereading the King oeuvre. Since my last post, I have reread most of my favorites. Its been like rediscovering them.

Jean
04-01-2014, 11:33 AM
shit!!! who the fuck resurrected this thread?! I want to read new books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, I can compromise... I can, for example, reread one King after each 10 new books... no, five... no... three... no...

Merlin1958
04-03-2014, 06:30 PM
shit!!! who the fuck resurrected this thread?! I want to read new books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, I can compromise... I can, for example, reread one King after each 10 new books... no, five... no... three... no...

Go re-read, 11/22/63!! Maybe you'll appreciate it this time round!! LOL

Groomp
04-03-2014, 08:25 PM
I've re-read Dolores Claiborne about 6 or 7 times, it's one of my favorites.

Jean
04-03-2014, 11:31 PM

Go re-read, 11/22/63!! Maybe you'll appreciate it this time round!! LOL

I would, if I expected to live forever.

Girlystevedave
04-04-2014, 08:51 AM
1.Desperation
2.The Dead Zone
3.The Talisman

SirJohn
04-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Well, I read The Shining roughly 35 years ago... and have read it at least 20-25 times over the years. Back when I was in high school, I read constantly. When I was a young adult, I had a job that required nearly two and a half hours a day on a bus. I read the entire time on the bus. If I do not have a new book to read, I simply grab something from my collection and re-read it. I have read many of my King books a TON of times. IT is my favorite... I think I have read it about a dozen times, maybe a few more than that. Eyes of The Dragon I've read many a time, as well as Pet Semetary. I suppose it helps that I am also a rather quick reader. Granted, the re-reading happened far more often when I was younger and had more time on my hands (and less things in my head to worry about... responsibilities and whatnot). I have been out of my King loop for a bit, unless you count the graphic novels. If I were to pick up a classic again, I think I would probably read something along the line of Salems Lot, or The Stand... neither of which I have read in the last twenty years or so.

Speaking of 'The Stand'... I absolutely love the made for television adaptation. It was very entertaining.

-SJ

Jon
05-02-2014, 12:33 AM
I have read The Stand - both versions, repeatedly. Due to drug use in youth and middle age, I do no hold facts as I should.

But it is my clear favorite.

mtdman
05-07-2014, 08:11 PM
At this point, it's probably Salem's Lot, The Shining, and Duma Key. I've also done Cell many a time as well.

SirJohn
05-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Cool av Jon... glad to find another who is South of Heaven too.

Merlin1958
05-08-2014, 08:33 PM
I re-read, Black House, quite often. It is one of my favorites and so freaking twisted it just calls to me. It also kind of confounds me in that it is obviously a TDT related book, but so little is referred to in the actual series. That has always stuck in my craw, so to speak.

Jon
05-08-2014, 11:09 PM
I re-read, Black House, quite often.

Do the words change? Or just the pictures?

LOL. I cannot blame you, Bill A GREAT book! Certainly a top 5 for me!

Deaf&Dumb
05-12-2014, 10:41 AM
I've only recently(2012ish) started to read any King books, but so far have read The Stand(Complete & Uncut) 3 or 4 times. With It coming in next with probably 3 reads.

Jacqui
05-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Hmm...the first SK book I read was It, when I was about fourteen. One English teacher told me off for reading it in "free reading" English lessons, saying it was not suitable for my age group, my other, regular teacher (the first was covering the lesson) said that it was good that I was "widening my reading base", whatever that means...

Anyway, that's the one I've read the most, with The Talisman a close second. Of the newer books, few of which I like as much as the older books, I have read 11/22/63 quite a few times for the length of time I've owned it.

Bunyip
02-20-2016, 03:16 AM
I've read IT probably 6-7 times, The Stand 4 times...Deadzone over a dozen times, Misery 4 times, Christine 4 times....books like Shining,Salems and 11/22/63 all 3 times. I think I've read most of his earlier titles 2-3 times, a couple of years apart. Some of his newer stuff I have no desire to read again. This may change in time. A few of them left me a little bit cold, and don't compare to the fever I got from the earlier stuff. Maybe nostalgia, but it's also a pretty high bar he set himself, I guess every book,can't be a classic. But yeah, I gladly re read old books several times over, no different than listening to a favourite song, or watching your favourite movie for the 50th time...a bit more time consuming, but very rewarding.

DoctorZaius
02-23-2016, 05:26 PM
Eyes of the Dragon - once for myself, once for my two daughters, and once each year for my freshmen, so with twenty years of teaching that makes it 22 readings. I just started it this week with my freshmen. They love it.

Dan
02-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Eyes of the Dragon - once for myself, once for my two daughters, and once each year for my freshmen, so with twenty years of teaching that makes it 22 readings. I just started it this week with my freshmen. They love it.

That's a teacher I wish I had in school!

Letti
05-01-2016, 12:10 AM

Wow, your students are really lucky with you. : ) And can this book say something new to you after 22 readings?

Tommy
05-01-2016, 07:24 AM
Love this read.

The only one I've read more than once is The Shining. Read that one twice.

I don't reread a lot of books (I have read some of Thomas Harris' books more than a few times and American Psycho and Blood Meridian each twice and Lolita three times (probably my favorite book)).

This thread makes me want to reread some of King's (and the handful I haven't read yet). If I had to pick one to reread right now it would definitely be It.

firemonkey66
05-01-2016, 07:49 PM
I've read IT a bunch of times, probably 5 or more.

For the hell of it, books I should read again? From a Buick 8 and Insomnia. I remember really liking both of those books the first time I read them.