PDA

View Full Version : What movies have you re-watched the most times?

divemaster
12-10-2021, 08:00 PM
There are a number of movies I re-watch over and over again, for a variety of reasons. Not necessarily the same as a "top 25 list," although there is a lot of overlap. There are plenty of "5 star" movies I'd put above some of the below--just haven't come around to re-watching them multiple times.

According to my DVD spreadsheet, here are my top 25 re-watches. What are yours?

Mullholland Dr. -- I've re-watched this more than any other American movie. And I get more out of it with each watch. This is my "desert island" movie. So many layers; so much depth. So many great scenes and great quotes. ("Sometimes, there's a buggy...")
Comrades, Almost a Love Story -- just an absolutely wonderful telling of a find/lose/find again love story
A Tale of Two Sisters -- best psychological horror movie EVER
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- I swear, I watch this at least once a year
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon -- more than any other movie, this changed my entire movie paradigm and opened doors I didn't even know existed
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels -- complex plot and laugh-out-loud hilarity; what's not to love?
Goodfellas -- the best mafia film, bar none
Infernal Affairs -- the second best mafia film, bar none
Jackie Brown -- there's just so much "there" in this film
Kill Bill -- movie perfection
Mamma Mia! -- one of the most "fun" movies ever
Pulp Fiction -- I remember watching this for the first time, and realizing I had never seen anything like it before.
Sin City -- a visual treat; the craftsmanship here is amazing
Hard-Boiled -- the movie that prompted this thread. I re-watched it again tonight--there is no better film for hand-to-hand shoot 'em up action
The Mystery of Rampo -- perfect combination of mystery plot and visual artistry
Angel Dust -- one of the best psychological thrillers I've come across.
The Sixth Sense -- it's so much more than the reveal
The Pillow Book -- I didn't even know it I liked it the first time I watched it. But it stuck with me, and I've watched it again and again because I just can't shake its affect on me
No Blood, No Tears -- perfect combination of comedy and scam/heist movie
Oldboy -- wouldn't even make my top 25 of Korean movies, but there's just something about it that draws me back again and again
A Moment to Remember -- If this doesn't affect you, you have no soul
A Fish Called Wanda -- perfect combination of plot and comedy and cast
All for Love -- interweaving of so many great stories
Raiders of the Lost Ark -- the perfect movie for a 13-year-old kid to see for the first time
Mad Max: Fury Road -- one of the best "balls to the wall" action moves ever

Adding...

Airplane!. I was 12 or 13 years old. My dad took my sister and me to see this in the theater. I had never seen a parody/satire like Airplane! I actually fell out of my seat, laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. No lie. Many re-watches over the years.

Predator. This always seemed to be on TV or someone popped in a VHS. I did a summer tour on a research ship, and the lounge had like 10 VHS tapes to choose from. It was Predator all day, every day.

The Princess Bride. I was in grad school the first time I saw this. Another one of those movies that always seemed to be in the VCR for any get-together.

Tommy
12-10-2021, 09:34 PM
Love this thread, working on my list now....

daniel_pyle
12-10-2021, 09:54 PM
Back to the Future for sure. It was one of the only movies my brothers and I owned as kids and we used to watch it almost every day. It’s no exaggeration that I’ve probably seen it a thousand times.

Runners up (though nowhere close): Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard, and The Big Lebowski.

Mattrick
12-10-2021, 11:31 PM
Thinking of the films I've rewatched the most in my life is hard to say. Some films I've seen 15-20+ times yet haven't watched in 20 years. I'd say any film on this list I've seen at around or at least 10 times.

From Dusk Till Dawn
American Beauty
Almost Famous
Jurassic Park
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
I Love You, Man
Zoolander
Tropic Thunder
Punch Drunk Love
The Waterboy
Happy Gilmore
Mystic River
Into The Wild
The Shining
28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
About a Boy
Love Actually
Goldeneye
The Lion King
Donnie Darko
Borat
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
The Matrix
Spider-Man 2
Mimic
Halloween
The Usual Suspects
The Negotiator
Dark City
About Schmidt
Face/Off
There's Something about Mary
Dumb and Dumber
Man on the Moon
The Mask
The Naked Gun
The Double
Another Year
Her
The Pianist
Being John Malkovich
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Synecdoche, New York

Films From the past decade or so that are close to that benchmark:

Mad Max: Fury Road
A Ghost Story
Moonlight
La La Land
The Babadook
Inglourious Basterds
Whiplash
Blue Jasmine
Young Adult
Uncle John
John Wick
Pontypool
No Country For Old Men
Moneyball

divemaster
12-11-2021, 05:28 PM
Back to the Future for sure. It was one of the only movies my brothers and I owned as kids and we used to watch it almost every day. It’s no exaggeration that I’ve probably seen it a thousand times.

That's a good point--one that I didn't really consider. My list was primarily focused on DVD watchin as an adult. But I wore out any number of VHS tapes during middle and high school. I guess my top was Superman II. And for about a 20-year period, I must have watched Airplane! 50 times with my buddies. So I'll add those two to my list for sure. Then, as an older teen and into college/grad school, I swear every weekend somehow either Die Hard or Predator was on a TV or VCR somewhere.

RUBE
12-12-2021, 08:51 PM
Not sure that I'll be making a list but the first movie that comes to mind is Groundhog Day. I don't know that I've watched it that many times all the way through but if it's on while I'm flipping through channels, I'm watching it.

Iwritecode
12-13-2021, 06:09 AM
Just off the of my head in no particular order. Mostly movies that I watched a ton on VHS as a kid or movies that I just watch every time I stumble across them on TV.

Even though I probably own the DVD version of 99% of these. :wtf:

T2
A Christmas Story
National Lampoon's Vacation
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas
Click
Grownups 1 & 2
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore
Liar Liar
Ace Ventura 1 and 2
The Martian
Sister Act 2
Spaceballs
Airplane
Men in Tights
The Princess Bride
Alladin
Toy Story 1 - 3
The Lion King
The Shawshank Redemption
Rocky 4
Avengers Endgame
Saving Private Ryan
Office Space
Hot Shots
Child's Play 2 & 3
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

Tommy
12-13-2021, 07:23 AM
Some I've seen ridiculous amounts of time...

Laura
Out of the Past
The Shining
Rebel without a Cause
Sunset Blvd.
Clue
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Psycho (I've seen other Hitchcocks repeatedly as well but this one probably the most)
Big Trouble in Little China
A Christmas Story
Groundhog Day
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Pretty much most of the horror franchises Nightmare...., Friday...., etc. etc.
The MCU movies (SOME of them) I have playing in the background a lot.
Creepshow
Carrie
Steel Magnolias
The Wizard of Oz
Annie Hall
Demons
Tenebrae
The Seventh Seal
Rashomon
Bringing Up Baby
The Dark Knight
The Princess Bride
Natural Born Killers
Beetlejuice

There's more but I have to think about it...

divemaster
12-13-2021, 12:13 PM
The Princess Bride

Oh, yeah. That's gotta be in my top 25 somewhere.

Iwritecode
12-13-2021, 12:21 PM
2 more I just thought about that I keep on my DVR just because.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Waiting

Tommy
12-13-2021, 12:59 PM
The Princess Bride

Oh, yeah. That's gotta be in my top 25 somewhere.

SAME, adding it now.

Lurker
12-13-2021, 03:14 PM
I've been trying to think about this on and off today. When I was a kid we really didn't go to movies but The Wizard of Oz was on tv once a year. And all those old movies they showed after the late night news. But I clearly remember the shock, when after seeing Oz so many times, the year we finally got a color tv (I was 13 or 14) the Oz part was in COLOR!!!! What!!!!

I'm like RUBE, if I see it flipping channels or ahead to tape I watch these over and over. I have a DVD player, but it hasn't been hooked up in years. Might be out of date. I"m still trying to think of something recent I watch repeatedly, but am just coming up blank...

Giant
The American President
The Bishop's Wife (Cary Grant)
Goodbye Mr. Chips 1939
Lost Horizons 1939
Lawrence of Arabia
The Paper Chase
Bell Book and Candle
The Birds
South Pacific

Heather19
12-18-2021, 01:43 PM
I feel like most of the movies I've rewatched numerous times are more holiday related, Christmas or Halloween. I tend to rewatch a lot of the same movies every year. Then there's the movies from my childhood that we'd watch on a constant basis.

Off the top of my head my most watched are probably:
A Christmas Story
Halloween
The Shining
Christmas Vacation
March of the Wooden Soldiers
A Nightmare Before Christmas
Labriynth
Edward Scissorhands
Holiday Inn
It's a Wonderful Life
Beautiful Girls

And there's plenty other favorites of mine that I've seen numerous times, but probably not quite as many times as my holiday films.

Garrell
12-19-2021, 08:34 AM
The Wall
Fast Times At Ridgemont High