PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Watch-a-thon 2021 (Bring Your Own Cookies)

Ricky
12-01-2021, 05:11 PM
It's officially December and Christmas show and movie time is full swing! What's everyone planning on watching this year?

Aside from Fatman, Gremlins 2, and Die Hard (I know, I know), I don't think there's really any new Christmas movies I want to see. Is there anything new out this year?

Of course, also gonna do lots of the traditional re-watches: Last Holiday, Arthur Christmas, Elf, Krampus, and all the regular stop-motion specials. :)

Merlin1958
12-01-2021, 05:48 PM
Hawkeye on Disney+

However, I'm not participating unless I get some Xmas cookies from some one!!! :P

Jon
12-01-2021, 06:29 PM
FOOTBALL!

RUBE
12-08-2021, 07:15 PM
It's officially December and Christmas show and movie time is full swing! What's everyone planning on watching this year?

Aside from Fatman, Gremlins 2, and Die Hard (I know, I know), I don't think there's really any new Christmas movies I want to see. Is there anything new out this year?

Of course, also gonna do lots of the traditional re-watches: Last Holiday, Arthur Christmas, Elf, Krampus, and all the regular stop-motion specials. :)

Wait, are you saying that this is your first watch of Die Hard?

Merlin1958
12-09-2021, 12:51 AM
"Shitters Full"!!!!!

Only two must see Holiday films. "Christmas Vacation" and "It's a wonderful life". Watch both films faithfully every season. Honorable mention to "A Christmas Carol" and "Scrooged". :biggrin:

Ricky
12-09-2021, 04:29 PM

Yes.

"Shitters Full"!!!!!

Only two must see Holiday films. "Christmas Vacation" and "It's a wonderful life". Watch both films faithfully every season. Honorable mention to "A Christmas Carol" and "Scrooged". :biggrin:

No A Christmas Story? :o

Merlin1958
12-09-2021, 05:29 PM

Yes.

"Shitters Full"!!!!!

No A Christmas Story? :o

thumbsdownlarge:wtf:

St. Troy
12-09-2021, 08:02 PM
"Shitters Full"!!!!!

Possibly the greatest single scene in motion picture history (and I'm not kidding).

Tommy
12-10-2021, 01:46 AM
À l'intérieur 2007

Ricky
12-10-2021, 03:42 PM
I watched A Clusterfunke Christmas on Comedy Central recently. It was a parody of all those Hallmark Christmas movies. Pretty enjoyable but a little light on the laughs for a comedy.

divemaster
12-10-2021, 04:43 PM
Die Hard is not "a" Christmas movie!

It is THE Christmas movie.

daniel_pyle
12-10-2021, 08:30 PM

It is THE Christmas movie.

:thumbsup:

I've always loved Christmas movies, but I've been on a real kick this year. So far, I've watched:
Gemlins
Christmas Vacation
Jingle All the Way
Black Christmas
The Wolf of Snow Hollow
Mercy Christmas
Anna and the Apocalypse
Wind Chill
Scrooged
Deathcember
Sint
Die Hard
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Tales From the Crypt: "And All through the House"
Silent Night, Deadly Night 2

Still to come:
Silent Night
Home Alone
Elf
Batman Returns
Krampus

And whatever else I feel like between now and the big day. Many of the ones I've already watched are old favorites, but I've also been taking serious advantage of several trial subscriptions to check out the ones I hadn't seen before. Some have been good. Some have been fun only because they're so, so terrible (I'm looking at you, Silent Night, Deadly Night 2.)

Here are some (maybe-lesser-known?) movies I haven't re-watched yet this year but that I think are worth checking out:
Rare Exports
P2
The Lodge
Better Watch Out

St. Troy
12-10-2021, 08:50 PM
...time for the candy cane girls...

Tommy
12-10-2021, 09:53 PM
Eyes Wide Shut

Maybe Female Trouble....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYTkavEt20

Heather19
12-11-2021, 06:56 AM
I've been slacking. The only thing I've seen so far is a bunch of Hallmark Christmas movies earlier this season :lol:

Ricky
12-11-2021, 09:25 AM
Silent Night, Deadly Night

P2

I keep meaning to watch Silent Night, Deadly Night but never get around to it. It's free On Demand this year so maybe this will be the year!

Also, I caught P2 last year and was pleasantly surprised by it. I really enjoyed it.

Heather19
12-12-2021, 09:06 AM
Good to know, that's one that's been on my list forever too. I'll try to get to it this year.

Iwritecode
12-13-2021, 06:14 AM

Agreed.

Neither are Shazam!, Gremlins, Enemy of the State, Lethal Weapon, Trading Places, Rocky IV or Iron Man 3...

Just because there are a couple of Christmas decorations in the background doesn't mean it's a Christmas movie. I will go to my grave with this argument. :P

Lurker
12-13-2021, 06:40 AM
Every year - The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant

Tommy
12-13-2021, 06:46 AM
Every year - The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant

Gosh it's been nearly 20 years since I've seen that but just reading it made the whole movie fly right back into my head.

Tommy
12-13-2021, 07:08 AM

Agreed.

Neither are Shazam!, Gremlins, Enemy of the State, Lethal Weapon, Trading Places, Rocky IV or Iron Man 3...

Just because there are a couple of Christmas decorations in the background doesn't mean it's a Christmas movie. I will go to my grave with this argument. :P

It's a Wonderful Life is not a Christmas movie either.

Gremlins is a Christmas movie though because without Gizmo you don't have a movie and Gizmo was a Christmas Present. So without Christmas, there wouldn't be a Gremlins movie.

I've been ranting and raving about À l'intérieur 2007 since I joined this site and the one person I think I got to watch it is now banned. I NEED more people to see this Christmas horror miracle! :evil::evil::evil:

Iwritecode
12-13-2021, 09:30 AM
Gremlins is a Christmas movie though because without Gizmo you don't have a movie and Gizmo was a Christmas Present. So without Christmas, there wouldn't be a Gremlins movie.

I remember years back when people first started classifying Gremlins as a Christmas movie and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had watched it when I was a kid and even had a Gizmo stuffed animal and one of those read-along books on tape. I had absolutely zero recollection of the Christmas parts of the movie.

I just knew Gizmo was a gift. Not necessarily a Christmas gift.

Tommy
12-13-2021, 09:45 AM

I remember years back when people first started classifying Gremlins as a Christmas movie and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had watched it when I was a kid and even had a Gizmo stuffed animal and one of those read-along books on tape. I had absolutely zero recollection of the Christmas parts of the movie.

There's a character dressed as a Christmas tree, one character tells how her father died dressed as Santa bringing the family presents. The family dog is nearly killed by Christmas lights. Mrs. Deagle's entire personality is shown through issues with Christmas from denying people loan extensions, bitching about her broken snowman and wanting a dog dead for it, threatening what she thought were carolers with water etc. Very much a Scroogish type not redeemed. The credits roll with my favorite Christmas song playing ,Baby, Please Come Home by Darlene Love with Christmas music throughout.

Several of the characters personalities are developed through Christmas in some way.
It would not be the same movie without Christmas in it. I think that's the very basic assumption here right? If you took Christmas out, you'll still have relatively the same movie, not true with Gremlins.

Iwritecode
12-13-2021, 09:53 AM

There's a character dressed as a Christmas tree, one character tells how her father died dressed as Santa bringing the family presents. The family dog is nearly killed by Christmas lights. Mrs. Deagle's entire personality is shown through issues with Christmas from denying people loan extensions, bitching about her broken snowman and wanting a dog dead for it, threatening what she thought were carolers with water etc. Very much a Scroogish type not redeemed. The credits roll with my favorite Christmas song playing ,Baby, Please Come Home by Darlene Love with Christmas music throughout.

Several of the characters personalities are developed through Christmas in some way.
It would not be the same movie without Christmas in it. I think that's the very basic assumption here right? If you took Christmas out, you'll still have relatively the same movie, not true with Gremlins.

Yea, I don't remember any of that. I just remember Gizmo getting water on him, all the other little Gizmos show up, and they set the clocks back to trick the kid (I don't even remember the characters name) into feeding them chicken after midnight. Then they hatch from a bunch of cocoons, wreck havoc and end up in a movie theater I think?

A bitchy background character, a single scene with a dog and different song in the credits? I'm guessing you could take out all the Christmas stuff and have basically the exact same movie.

Tommy
12-13-2021, 09:55 AM
Not Phoebe Bates Character development tho, Christmas is actually used to tell the story.

Ricky
12-13-2021, 03:54 PM
Anyone like The Great Christmas Light Fight on ABC? That's one of my favorite seasonal watches. :)

RUBE
12-13-2021, 04:45 PM
Not Phoebe Cates Character development tho, Christmas is actually used to tell the story.

This.

I feel like we had this exact conversation last year. I remember talking about not letting any kids that still believe in Santa watch this movie because of that scene.

St. Troy
12-13-2021, 08:55 PM
In general, if anyone thinks it's a Christmas movie, it is a Christmas movie.

Heather19
12-18-2021, 01:44 PM
Thank you guys for mentioning The Bishops Wife. It's been years since I last saw it so I just rewatched it. It's such a great movie.

Still Servant
12-21-2021, 04:56 PM
I've been talking about Die Hard being a Christmas movie since before it was a thing. I've been arguing with people for years that Gremlins is also a Christmas movie.

However, I had a discussion today that I just can't buy. The guy said he considers Goonies a Christmas movie. Nope.

mae
12-22-2021, 02:06 PM
I don't normally watch these made for TV movies they make by the boatload every year, but this one looks cute and queer and has Ricki Lake of all people! I'm down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lgndN4Zvs

Iwritecode
12-22-2021, 07:34 PM
I was thinking about this earlier but how many actors can you name that have been in at least 2 completely separate and unrelated movies?

Not like Macaulay Caulkin who was in Home Alone and Home Alone 2 but separate movies. Also not counting Hallmark or Lifetime movies because they use the same actresses year after year.

I can think of at least 4. I'll wait to name them to see what everyone else comes up with.

St. Troy
12-22-2021, 08:22 PM
I was thinking about this earlier but how many actors can you name that have been in at least 2 completely separate and unrelated movies?

If we're talking Christmas (assumed), Tim Allen was in Christmas With The Kranks as well as all 3 The Santa Clause movies (all good stuff).

Going back several decades, Gene Lockhart played the judge in the original Miracle On 34th Street (which, aside from being a great Christmas movie, broke ground for women's power shoulders) as well as Bob Cratchit in the 1938 adaptation of A Christmas Carol.

Tommy
12-22-2021, 09:59 PM
Watched Black Christmas 1974 again and I never realized the implication of that final shot.

Lurker
12-22-2021, 10:22 PM
Bing Crosby in Holiday inn and White Christmas, although they do share a song.

Heather19
12-23-2021, 05:15 AM
Watched Silent Night, Deadly Night last night. It was pretty cheesy but enjoyable enough. Also that toy store in the 80s brought back memories. I lost it when I saw that Poochie stand :rofl:

Iwritecode
12-23-2021, 05:45 AM

If we're talking Christmas (assumed), Tim Allen was in Christmas With The Kranks as well as all 3 The Santa Clause movies (all good stuff).

Going back several decades, Gene Lockhart played the judge in the original Miracle On 34th Street (which, aside from being a great Christmas movie, broke ground for women's power shoulders) as well as Bob Cratchit in the 1938 adaptation of A Christmas Carol.

Bing Crosby in Holiday inn and White Christmas, although they do share a song.

Tim Allen was definitely one I was thinking of. I haven't seen any of the older movies but I'll believe you. :cool:

Another one is Vince Vaughn in Fred Claus as well as Four Christmases.

I can think of at least 2 more...

St. Troy
12-23-2021, 06:14 AM
Jim Carrey in A Christmas Carol (the 2009 Disney animated adaptation) and How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the 2000 movie).

Iwritecode
12-23-2021, 07:38 AM
Daniel Stern in Home Alone 1 & 2 but also played the old man in the worst sequel ever.

A Christmas Story 2.

St. Troy
12-23-2021, 07:41 AM
Peter Billingsley played Ralphie in A Christmas Story and Ming Ming (the senior elf who asks Buddy how many Etch A Sketches he's made) in Elf.

Iwritecode
12-23-2021, 08:03 AM
Here's one I just thought of.

Brian Doyle-Murray was in Scrooged as well as National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

St. Troy
12-23-2021, 08:31 AM
Brian Doyle-Murray was in Scrooged as well as National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

He also played Mr. Twitchell in Frosty Returns (of course, that's not a movie).

St. Troy
12-23-2021, 08:33 AM
Molly Shannon played Betty Lou Who in How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the 2000 movie) and Tracy (Scott Calvin's/Santa's overenthusiastic scene-stealing date) in The Santa Clause 2.

Iwritecode
12-23-2021, 08:42 AM
Catherine O'Hara - The mom in Home Alone and was also in Surviving Christmas.

Also the voice of Sally in A Nightmare Before Christmas.

St. Troy
12-23-2021, 09:39 AM
William Hickey played Lewis in Christmas Vacation and the evil scientist in The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Ricky
12-23-2021, 04:23 PM
Watched Silent Night, Deadly Night last night. It was pretty cheesy but enjoyable enough.

Wasn't it? Every time he came on screen with those wide eyes and said "Naughty" was just a little too on-the-nose. :lol:

Apparently there's like 4 more sequels. I have no interest in watching them. :lol:

Tracy (Scott Calvin's/Santa's overenthusiastic scene-stealing date) in The Santa Clause 2.

One of the best scenes in Christmas movie history. :rofl:

Iwritecode
12-23-2021, 06:17 PM
Molly Shannon played Betty Lou Who in How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the 2000 movie) and Tracy (Scott Calvin's/Santa's overenthusiastic scene-stealing date) in The Santa Clause 2.

That's a good one I forgot about.

St. Troy
12-23-2021, 08:07 PM
Tracy (Scott Calvin's/Santa's overenthusiastic scene-stealing date) in The Santa Clause 2.

One of the best scenes in Christmas movie history. :rofl:

You know it! She sells it so completely.

I want to get me one of those "Santa but it's actually Tim Allen/Scott Calvin" shirts she's wearing.

Merlin1958
12-23-2021, 08:39 PM
Somebody wake up, Jerome (Randall Flagg) and get his opinion will ya? lol

Have to admit that, "Its a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Carol" are big favs for me as well. Almost "must see" TV. lol Still can't beat, J. Stewart and D. Reed at their finest!!! lol

St. Troy
12-23-2021, 08:54 PM
Have to admit that, "Its a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Carol" are big favs for me as well. Almost "must see" TV. lol Still can't beat, J. Stewart and D. Reed at their finest!!! lol

I watched IAWL tonight; it holds up well.

T-Dogz_AK47
12-24-2021, 03:55 PM
All right. Listen up, guys...

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except...

The four assholes coming in the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation.

Tommy
12-24-2021, 08:38 PM
Bob Clark is in both Black Christmas and A Christmas Story

Iwritecode
12-24-2021, 10:10 PM
One I just discovered last night. Christine Baranski who played Martha May Whovier in How The Grinch Stole Christmas was also in A Bad Mom's Christmas.

Funny enough, she plays almost the same type of character in both movies.

divemaster
12-25-2021, 07:45 PM
One I just discovered last night. Christine Baranski who played Martha May Whovier in How The Grinch Stole Christmas was also in A Bad Mom's Christmas.

Funny enough, she plays almost the same type of character in both movies.

She was also in The Ref, a very funny Christmas movie. I really like this one.

Heather19
12-30-2021, 05:52 AM
Has anyone watched Silent Night yet? Just watched it last night. It wasn't anything like what I was expecting but I did enjoy it.

St. Troy
12-30-2021, 07:49 AM
Watched many of the usual:

A Christmas Carol (Disney, Jim Carrey)
A Christmas Carol (1951, Alastair Sim)
A Christmas Carol (1938, Reginald Owen)
The Santa Clause
The Santa Clause 2
The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause
Elf
Christmas Vacation
Christmas With The Kranks
Jingle All The Way
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey)
A Christmas Story
Arthur Christmas
The Polar Express
The Christmas Consultant (The Hoff! Caroline Rhea!)
It's A Wonderful Life
Miracle On 34th Street

If we're including TV cartoon specials:

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
The Year Without A Santa Claus
Twas The Night Before Christmas
Frosty The Snowman
Frosty's Winter Wonderland (the one with Mrs. Frosty)
Jack Frost
Yes, Virginia (the peerless Neil Patrick Harris)
A Charlie Brown Christmas

Episodes of animated TV shows, but they're like specials to me:

Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation! (45 minutes of greatness; maybe you need to be familiar with P&F to get all of it, but it's great)
A Phineas and Ferb Family Christmas (standard 15 minute P&F episode, not at the level of the 45-minute one, but fine nevertheless)

On the list but never found time for:

The Man Who Invented Christmas
A Christmas Carol (1984, George C. Scott)
A Christmas Carol (1999, Patrick Stewart)
Deck The Halls (Matthew Broderick, Danny DeVito)
Frosty's Return (the one with "summer wheeze" and Brian Doyle-Murray; the real reason this didn't make the cut is that my family hates this with a raging passion)

Ones I want to watch but don't own and TV now refuses to run them:

Cranberry Christmas (featuring music from Barry Manilow - he doesn't rate TV? Come on.)
Eloise At Christmastime (Julie Andrews? Yeah, who is she anyway...)

Ricky
12-30-2021, 09:06 AM
Has anyone watched Silent Night yet? Just watched it last night. It wasn't anything like what I was expecting but I did enjoy it.

It's on my list but I haven't seen it yet.

Also, I didn't see Elf or Christmas with the Kranks air ONCE on TV this season. They usually play them non-stop! Guess I might have to break down and buy them on DVD.

Heather19
12-30-2021, 12:30 PM
Let me know what you think if you watch it Ricky!

daniel_pyle
12-30-2021, 01:37 PM

I did! It wasn’t exactly what I was expecting either, but I thought it was great.

Heather19
12-31-2021, 08:04 AM

I did! It wasn’t exactly what I was expecting either, but I thought it was great.

Glad you enjoyed it! I saw a lot of bad reviews and I think those people were probably expecting a typical horror film. Honestly I'm not sure I would even classify it as horror.

daniel_pyle
12-31-2021, 08:35 AM
Glad you enjoyed it! I saw a lot of bad reviews and I think those people were probably expecting a typical horror film. Honestly I'm not sure I would even classify it as horror.

Yeah, I agree, it's a hard one to classify. It's probably more dark humor than anything. But I like a wide range of movie types, so as long as it's well made, it's usually not hard to win me over!

Iwritecode
12-31-2021, 11:34 AM
Cranberry Christmas (featuring music from Barry Manilow - he doesn't rate TV? Come on.)

We are getting ready to go through my late mother-in-laws stuff and she LOVED Barry Manilow. I'm betting she has this movie somewhere.

I'd never even heard of it.

Ricky
12-31-2021, 11:48 AM
Let me know what you think if you watch it Ricky!

I watched it last night and thought it was really well done. It did a great job seamlessly transitioning from the comedy/party/Christmas elements to the more darker and depressing ones. I don't know why, but I found it really upsetting. I think I just picked the wrong time to watch it. I'm on Day 5 of isolation with COVID and a lot of the elements/moods in the film hit just a little too close to home at this particular moment. (Don't worry, I'm not dying.) I guess that's the mark of a good film when it elicits such a strong emotional response.

Yeah, I agree, it's a hard one to classify. It's probably more dark humor than anything.

Yeah, I think dark comedy is a good category.

Heather19
12-31-2021, 01:17 PM
It's definitely not a happy feel good movie, that's for sure. For some reason it kinda reminded me of that movie with the red lights (blanking on the name). Not sure why as they were quite different but it almost had a similar feel to it.

And I hope you feel better soon!

Ricky
12-31-2021, 02:47 PM
Ah, The Invitation! Is that what you're thinking of? I kind of got Coherence vibes even though the only similarities were friends getting together and bad things happen.