PDA

View Full Version : StephenKing.com Discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

alinda
01-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I have been perusing said board and the office and so many of the links provided for about a hour or so, and was just about to exit when I came upon this....TheDarkTower.net (Unofficial) - Under Construction

I don't know about you guys but I find this laughable, it must not have been updated in a VERY long time:wtf:

Matt
01-21-2009, 01:43 PM
yes, I plan to let Marsha know it seems to be officially gone now. Figured I'd give it a full year though.

alinda
01-21-2009, 02:04 PM
:orely:I was so fond of that site Matt, but I wouldn't go back if it was resurrected from todash space itself! The Dark Tower .com is all I'll ever need to satisfy my appetite for all things tower related.Even that side trip I just took left me needing to come back home.:grouphug:

Matt
01-21-2009, 02:13 PM
:huglove:

Hearing stuff like that is what makes it all worth while Linda.

I totally agree, the site had it's cool stuff but it was never anything like we have here.

Wuducynn
01-21-2009, 03:34 PM
I added mine.

Also, who is this ms. darkside and why is she always trying to friend me? I've rejected her a good six times now! :lol:

Let me know because whoever she is stealing my drag persona name, that bitch!

Daghain
01-21-2009, 06:58 PM
:lol:

herbertwest
01-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Dammit! I forgot to put my name on my message, just in case... And CANT edit it... :-(

arnibeth
03-25-2009, 05:57 AM
Does anyone out there want to see Roland at peace? I felt cheated by the ending of the series despite following it for twenty years. (although I did think the connection to world was brilliant writing). Just curious. I am writing an ending I would feel better about but not sure if it just piss people off or not.

alinda
03-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Well we must be discussing that somewhere on the boards...tho' I can't seem to remember the where for you. In the meantime why not have a look at a thread, oh whats it called An ending at McDonalds or some such, and please do feel free to post your ending in one of those forums, I for one would like to read it. As R-O-G said earlier today I would like it if Roland finds Rosilita again and stays with her.;)

PS Welcome to the site arnibeth !

DanishCollector
03-25-2009, 08:05 AM
There's a small bunch of weird individuals on the message board on King's site. Some are trolls, and some are just...oh, well. Two are conspiracy theorists and keeps posting paranoid ramblings about government conspiracies, ufo's, demons, and all that, and sometimes mixing King into it. Freedom of speech, I know, but those ramblings don't belong there. Anyway, only visit that place a very few times...like it better here.

alinda
03-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Arnibeth, I had a look and here is one thread you may find interesting...

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2223&page=15&highlight=worst+ending

DanishCollector
03-25-2009, 08:15 AM
That being said, there's also nice people there, and serious fans like us who probably don't know of this place...

alinda
03-25-2009, 08:32 AM
*considerers going there and leaving a link in my posts*, but then it may lead the bozos too!:wtf:

arnibeth
03-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks, I found it while you were answering me. It seems many people may not agree with me. I guess in my old age I thought that some peace would be nice. At least I wouldn't have him on the Oprah Winfrey show

alinda
03-25-2009, 09:30 AM
:wtf: yeah we have had our moments of insanity to be sure.
I'd be interested in your idea of what would leave him happy
enough to stay anywhere in one place , A home with Jake and
Oy? A woman, the old folks who need protection? Lots of questions
I know, but my mind thinks he would always be looking for something.:(

Matt
03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
That being said, there's also nice people there, and serious fans like us who probably don't know of this place...

Ms Mod has been great about letting me advertise the place over there. Mostly fund raiser stuff but anytime there is a collecting question, I slip a link in.

This is really a special situation as Ms Mod is very careful about what links she allows on that site.

I think we have many from there that read here under different user id's

DanishCollector
03-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes, but I'm sure the few I talked about don't. Because they are not really interested in King...

Matt
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
I agree!

She has to deal with some serious weirdo's out there with all kinds of strange questions...

"My mother is dying, will Stephen King come and rub her feet?"

:lol:

arnibeth
03-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Believe me I know life is not full of happy endings. That said I think there can be a more positive end to the story. Even the Jedi master states that once Roland has the horn there may be redemption for him. Maybe someday I will publish or just throw it out on the web. I pick up the story from the end of Wizard of Glass and add someone who is magical and special. Perhaps when I feel less green to this site I will feel more comfortable sharing.

Matt
03-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I hope that's soon arnibeth, it's great to have you here.

arnibeth
03-25-2009, 04:52 PM
I am so new to this type of thing that my daughter had to give me an "in service" about what some of it means. I need to explore the place for a while. But thanks I am glad to be here.

alinda
03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
:) Take your time , we're not going any where trust me :lol:

arnibeth
03-26-2009, 04:23 PM
How do you know if you are becoming addicted to this? Or is my asking is that a bad sign? Maybe I need to reread "Quitters Inc."

jhanic
03-27-2009, 03:48 AM
If you're here, you're probably (actually, almost certainly) addicted.

John

arnibeth
03-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks John I am sure that is correct. I almost can't believe it to be true but I guess that is the phase of denial. :wtf:

LadyHitchhiker
09-25-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/links.html

Anybody check this page out lately?

I think they can take thedarktower.net off of the page...

and take off the "under construction" for our beloved .com!

Randall Flagg
09-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I agree.
Matt, have you mentioned this to Ms. Mod?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Snippet from SKMB...
"Steve had told me over a year ago that he had an idea for a new Dark Tower story. He has been working on many different projects since then. I have not seen a finished Dark Tower manuscript among them but I also didn't see the poems that have recently become available."

I think the important word here is, "finished". That means there *is* a DT story manuscript in the pipeline!

Matt
10-16-2009, 04:43 AM
I agree.
Matt, have you mentioned this to Ms. Mod?

The ones that say they are under construction are not actually us, there was a site that did not include the "the" in its name, never got off the ground.

I would love for them to remove dt.net so I might bring that up to her soon. Our link is right under Lilja on that page.

Spencer
10-25-2009, 05:45 AM
I joined up at the message board, but am blocked from posting anywhere. The best I can glean from the FAQ is you can't do anything till you make 5 posts, but how do you make 5 posts if you can't make any? what now? :lol:

Randall Flagg
10-25-2009, 06:21 AM
If you posted, it won't appear immediately. The board is fully moderated. Ms. Moderator doesn't usually work the board on weekends.

Spencer
10-25-2009, 07:49 AM
It's not that, there's no reply button, and at the bottom of the page, where, on this board, it says:

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

on their board it says I may NOT do any of those things. :doh:

jhanic
10-25-2009, 08:48 AM
And it will always say that as long as the Moderator (Ms Mod) has deactivated the board. We all get the same thing. She usually works regular office hours, five days a week. Sometimes, she extends things a bit, but that's it. It's often very frustrating.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-25-2009, 08:53 AM
It's not that, there's no reply button, and at the bottom of the page, where, on this board, it says:

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

The board closes at weekends. Did you not notice the "padlock" on all the threads? Try again on Monday.

Spencer
10-26-2009, 04:34 AM

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

The board closes at weekends. Did you not notice the "padlock" on all the threads? Try again on Monday.

I did notice the padlock, but thought it was only applying to me. Seems you're saying it applies to everyone in all threads on weekends. The FAQ said the board closes on weekends and holidays, I just thought that meant posts would be delayed going live till the board was open again, it appears that you're saying the board is totally locked down. That explains a lot, and I thank you for your help! :D

I guess it all depends on what your definition of "closed" is. :lol:
http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/political-pictures-bill-clinton-michelle-hawt.jpg

Letti
11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I made a new account on SK message board because my other one.. didn't work. I thought I might have got banned because I wasn't active for long. So I opened a new one and now I cannot post at all. What is this? I am lost.
I have checked the FAQ still I have no idea. I am sorry for stealing your time but if you can help me I will be absolutely grateful.

Bev Vincent
11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
The board is closed until the end of tomorrow for Veteran's Day.

Letti
11-10-2009, 01:20 PM
The board is closed until the end of tomorrow for Veteran's Day.

Cry your pardon... I thought I must have messed up something again.
Thank you.

Can-Tina
11-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Does anyone have more info on this. (See below) First JJs out, now more solid info on a new DT book is revealed. - Crazy week!

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/2009/11/asides/an-aside-new-dark-tower-novel-coming-from-stephen-king/

cuthbert1248
11-28-2009, 07:50 PM
The new DT site is great, it has a Marvel Trailer embedded which is viewable in HD. Check it out!http://www.stephenking.com/darktower

Randall Flagg
12-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Stephen King.com store to order Discordia, and Chester's Mill stuff benefiting The Haven Foundation
http://www.cafepress.com/stephenking/6969164

http://images7.cafepress.com/product/417942297v3_480x480_Front_Color-White.jpg

Patrick
12-05-2009, 03:37 PM
That shirt is pretty funny.

Brice
12-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I know. :lol: I need to get one.

Some of the other choices there are hilarious also. Who doesn't need a Discordia pet bowl?

Lily-sai
12-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Ooooooohhhhh. I need to get one for my kittehs. :evil:

jhanic
12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
It appears they've upgraded the forums software at StephenKing.com. Interesting!

John

Bev Vincent
12-29-2009, 08:48 AM
There were some major security issues with the old version, apparently. They haven't been able to implement the custom skins yet and some old features (thanks/welcome buttons) aren't in, either.

jhanic
12-29-2009, 08:56 AM
So far, I don't really like the new version. It's too hard to determine what I've not read vs. what I've read. The light blues and greys are just too close for these old eyes!

John

Matt
12-29-2009, 09:45 AM
SK.com went to vBulletin version 4.0 (as this site will have to do soon).

There wasn't exactly a security issue with previous versions but vBullletin is trying hard to create a "one stop" system that includes a blog, chat, member galleries, and content management for the rest of the site.

I spoke with Jordan and it looks like any custom modifications he put on were a bit zapped by the new version. This is why I'm doing my best to prepare this site for the inevitable switch.

This is called a "major upgrade" because the version number has switched to "4". There will be "4.1, 4.2..." and so on but we usually don't mess with them unless it is totally necessary. Obviously this one needs to be done so the site doesn't become obsolete which is about a year off if you don't maintain upgrades. :thumbsup:

Bev Vincent
12-30-2009, 06:08 AM
So far, I don't really like the new version. It's too hard to determine what I've not read vs. what I've read. The light blues and greys are just too close for these old eyes!

John

When I visit the page, I always just click on the "New Posts" link at the top. I do the same thing on this MB. That way I can just scan down the list of topics with new posts and pick the ones that interest me. When I'm done I Mark All Posts Read to prepare for the next visit.

jhanic
12-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Has anyone tried to get into the SKMB today? I get the "cover" page okay, but when I try to go into any of the forums, things seem really messed up. Or is it just me?

John

Brice
12-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Messed up, how?

jhanic
12-31-2009, 10:59 AM
When I click on the Written Works, this is a small sample of what I get:

Welcome, jchanic
Notifications
No new messages

Inbox

My Profile
Settings
Log Out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum
Private Messages
FAQ
Calendar
Community
Groups
My Albums
Friends & Contacts
Member List
Forum Actions
Mark Forums Read
Forum Settings
Edit Profile
Quick Links
Subscribed Threads
Open Contacts Popup
Banned Users
Who's Online
My Posts
My Threads
My Posts
What's New?

Advanced Search

Forum
Written Works

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum: Written Works
Want to discuss a book, short story or novella? Here's the place for you.

Sub-Forums Last Post
Novels Last Post

'Salem's Lot
Forum Actions:
View this forum's RSS feed
Subscribe to This Forum
Forum Statistics:
Threads: 21
Last Post:
Favorite scenes from Salem's...

by
DancingCorpse
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Add as Contact
1 Day Ago
John

Brice
12-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Ok, I'm seeing that page as normal. :orely:

jhanic
12-31-2009, 11:08 AM
I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'll try logging out, then back in. It was okay yesterday.

John

Didn't help. Oh, well, I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

John

I tried restarting my browser, then I rebooted my computer. Didn't help.

John

Brice
12-31-2009, 11:34 AM
That's weird! All I'm seeing different from normal is the new forum setup.

jhanic
01-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I just got into the SKMB and everything was back to normal.

John

herbertwest
03-17-2010, 12:59 PM
NEW MESSAGE by Steve :

Message from Steve re Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

Liv Ullmann? Probably but don't believe it until you see it here. Remember, stephenking.com is the horse's mouth, the rest is just rumor.

Steve

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/17177-Message-from-Steve-re-Ghost-Brothers-of-Darkland-County

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-18-2010, 11:56 PM
This was a reply to a question about unpublished works. (The door is firmly open for future releases of unpublished works).

"I think the answer to your question is also twofold and for the same conclusion you have already come to. Some of the work is not, in Steve's opinion, publishable because the writing is not up to his standards and he does not want it made public during his lifetime. The other reason is that he is reserving the right to edit incomplete or completed/unpublished manuscripts that are worth saving and publishing at a later time."

mae
03-19-2010, 04:45 AM
I think the majority of uncollected short stories are fully publishable. Especially if collected in a specific volume with a preface explaining what these are, their origin, etc.

jhanic
03-19-2010, 06:40 AM
I agree that many of his uncollected short stories are eminently readable. I'm thinking specifically about Weeds (which was later transformed into Creepshow's Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill and has NEVER been published in any anthology--it's only been published in two men's magazines, Cavalier and Nugget) and The Crate (which was also transformed into one of Creepshow's stories, but has been published in some anthologies). Both stories are excellent, at least in my opinion. I especially like Weeds, which is much darker than the slapstick Lonesome Death.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-19-2010, 06:50 AM
The Mod was refering to unpublished stories not uncollected.

mae
03-19-2010, 07:04 AM
There is less that's unpublished, at least what's known. A volume of uncollected fiction could be a good idea down the line.