Matt
03-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Just a general thread for the topic, go nuts! :dance:

Darkthoughts
03-13-2008, 03:02 PM
And now they're allowed, no-one wants to play :P

Míchéal
03-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I've been reading alot on this in the papers, mainly from the Brits havig a go at each other about it. Personally I don't think it's moral at all. It's one thing hunting for food and shit(if you'll actually eat what you kill,i dunno,like a deer or something) but over here they just let psycho bloodthirsty dogs loose to kill poor little cute foxes :( bad out.

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I guess I might expound on what I said in the Displeased and Bothered thread.

Hunting is something I very much enjoy. To be out in the wild, breathing the fresh air, feeling the breeze on your neck, it's awesome.

Hunting is my way of "communing with nature" if you will. Some people go out in the woods and get high. I've done drugs in the past, but have given them up. Not my thing anymore. To each his own.

I was born in a small ranch, raised in cities, and lately bought myself some land on the outskirts of this town i live in now, and I love it. Pretty soon I will buy some cattle, some horses, some goats, and be like I used to. I had 8 horses before I got married, but sold them. Horses are very expensive.

There are two types of Hunters, meat hunters, and sport hunters. You can be both, but you're mostly one or the other. I'm mostly a meat hunter. If I hunt, I'm eating what I'm killing. I like Elk meat, Venison (deer meat), quail, even rattlesnake and rabbit. I don't hunt predators unless they are a nuisance, and only then only if they can't be caught and relocated by the game wardens.

I know I was all over the place here, but just wanted to state my position.

Míchéal
03-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Meat hunting-fine by me.
Sport hunting-mean and pointless.

Matt
03-13-2008, 03:17 PM
I think hunting is fine. The way humans have changed the environment means that 1000 of animals will simply starve if we don't cull the herds out.

I have no problem shooting something even though I never have.

Dora grew up in a house where her Dad was the sole provider and drove an over the road truck to do it (very poor). He hunted in the winter months to provide food for his family flat. I know there are plenty of families out there right now that probably do the same.

MonteGss
03-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I've never hunted before but it is cool with me too.

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I've been reading alot on this in the papers, mainly from the Brits havig a go at each other about it. Personally I don't think it's moral at all. It's one thing hunting for food and shit(if you'll actually eat what you kill,i dunno,like a deer or something) but over here they just let psycho bloodthirsty dogs loose to kill poor little cute foxes :( bad out.

Foxing is an old sport in Europe, and even Russia. It was mostly practiced by aristocrats, nobility, and the otherwise rich. It's a tradition that goes back for generations.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand it's a custom and tradition which people feel are important to pass on to their offspring.

On the other, it's killing for sport.

For me, it's a tough call. I won't condone it, but I can't condemn it. If it were me, I'd want to save the past as well. I want my children to grow up with me enjoying the outdoors as well.

here's where you can read more about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_hunting

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 03:37 PM
I think hunting is fine. The way humans have changed the environment means that 1000 of animals will simply starve if we don't cull the herds out.

I have no problem shooting something even though I never have.

Dora grew up in a house where her Dad was the sole provider and drove an over the road truck to do it (very poor). He hunted in the winter months to provide food for his family flat. I know there are plenty of families out there right now that probably do the same.

One of my first white friends growing up was very poor. His dad worked, but his mom had cancer, and was sick all the time. Because his dad couldn't even afford a hunting license, he used to go out at night and poach a deer about every 2 months. He'd bring it home and butcher it in the bathroom tub. That's how they had food for the next couple months.

Growing up myself, we didn't have much. so I grew up eating whatever my father brought home. Wild goat, snake, deer, antelope, rabbit, and even jackrabbit on occasion. I still like all of these except jackrabbit. Since now I have a taste for it, I put in for elk and deer every year, although I've only drawn for elk once, and try to bag one to bring home and eat. Although I'm not a sport hunter, it's also nice to keep the rack and put it on display.

Bethany
03-13-2008, 05:15 PM
meh.

i don't believe in out and out cruelty to animals (hello? michael vick anyone?) but otherwise meh. maybe it's from being raised in the south where admitting that you don't hunt gets you strange looks and pitying head shakes. i can scale and gut fish, clean dove and quail, skin squirrel and have watched many a deer skinning. maybe i need to start putting those skills on my resume and really shock some folks. :P

meh.

Ruthful
03-13-2008, 06:34 PM

I don't know. The whole fox-hunting kerfuffle seemed kind of absurd to me. Granted, I'm not an inbred aristocrat so the underlying concept strikes me as pretty retarded, but I don't think it was worth expending political capital, especially when you've got guys doing self tooth extraction and a huge subculture that wants to turn the country into a carbon copy of The Sudan.

Brice
03-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Okay, personally I'm not into hunting here's why. I have no desire to hunt for sport...it's just not my thing. In all honesty it makes me sad for the animals lives wasted, which to my mind is what it is. I'm really not passing judgement on anyone. Whatever you choose to do is your business alone. I have absolutely no problem with those who hunt for food at all. I just wouldn't myself. Here's why? If I had to clean the animal I couldn't eat it. Also, I don't like venison and have no interest in trying 99% of the animals that are traditionally hunted. Maybe, when they start pig and cow hunting season I'll get me a liscense. :lol:

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Okay, personally I'm not into hunting here's why. I have no desire to hunt for sport...it's just not my thing. In all honesty it makes me sad for the animals lives wasted, which to my mind is what it is. I'm really not passing judgement on anyone. Whatever you choose to do is your business alone. I have absolutely no problem with those who hunt for food at all. I just wouldn't myself. Here's why? If I had to clean the animal I couldn't eat it. Also, I don't like venison and have no interest in trying 99% of the animals that are traditionally hunted. Maybe, when they start pig and cow hunting season I'll get me a liscense. :lol:

so if you butchered your own beef you couldn't eat a steak out of said beef?

Brice
03-13-2008, 07:42 PM

so if you butchered your own beef you couldn't eat a steak out of said beef?

Honestly...no, I couldn't. I'd have to pay someone else to do it.

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 07:45 PM
damn boy, you won't survive in the South. :)

Brice
03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
:rofl: I've been in the south for most of my life. Luckily for me southerners like money too.

blackrose22
03-13-2008, 08:19 PM

Foxing is an old sport in Europe, and even Russia. It was mostly practiced by aristocrats, nobility, and the otherwise rich. It's a tradition that goes back for generations.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand it's a custom and tradition which people feel are important to pass on to their offspring.

On the other, it's killing for sport.

For me, it's a tough call. I won't condone it, but I can't condemn it. If it were me, I'd want to save the past as well. I want my children to grow up with me enjoying the outdoors as well.

here's where you can read more about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_hunting

If hunting for sport meant just killing the animal with a rifle shot to the head or heart that would be fine with me as the animal doesn't feel any pain. But to chase a fox for miles on horseback with a pack of dogs is not right to me. Being torn apart by a pack of hounds is not a quick or merciful way to kill an animal. And just because it's a tradition doesn't make it right either. I find it strange that people can get enjoyment from watching a defenseless animal getting killed like this. Strange and sad.

Armand St Pierre
03-13-2008, 08:58 PM
If hunting for sport meant just killing the animal with a rifle shot to the head or heart that would be fine with me as the animal doesn't feel any pain. But to chase a fox for miles on horseback with a pack of dogs is not right to me. Being torn apart by a pack of hounds is not a quick or merciful way to kill an animal. And just because it's a tradition doesn't make it right either. I find it strange that people can get enjoyment from watching a defenseless animal getting killed like this. Strange and sad.

Hunting for sport? Take on a Grizzly with a sharpened stick instead of a high powered assault rifle and I might get it.
Hunting for food....
It's probably better than spending all your life in overstocked feedlots, being fed hormones so you mature really fast and then having a bolt go through your skull (which hopefully kills you before you're hung on a conveyor line).
If you eat meat, you should be able to kill your own food. At least that way the animal can live a natural life.
After all, how many served at McDonalds? All that cow and chicken is coming from somewhere and I can guarantee it's not from Farmer Johnson's Paradise Animal Retreat.

Mattrick
03-14-2008, 12:13 AM
I've never been hunting but I was a damn good shot with a pellet rifle during scouts, best in Durham region and I was youngest. I've always wanted to go hunting, my uncles do it all the time but they fish a lot more than they hunt.

hunting liscence in Ontario is about 1000 dollars and with the cost of a gun, equipment etc I can't afford it now. Of course, when I go hunting I'll always try and limit my advatages. No scope and I'd have a single shot, bolt action rifle, probably with .30 calibre bullets. I'd love to get a WWII German Karibiner to shoot.

But if it all came down to it, I've got no problem using a bow and arror or even attemptiong to sneak up and use a Machete or throwing knives. As kid I trained at my old cottage with a homemade spear to go rabbit hunting, never saw a rabbit though but I obliterated a lot of bags full of newspaper

blackrose22
03-14-2008, 01:59 AM

Hunting for sport? Take on a Grizzly with a sharpened stick instead of a high powered assault rifle and I might get it.
Hunting for food....
It's probably better than spending all your life in overstocked feedlots, being fed hormones so you mature really fast and then having a bolt go through your skull (which hopefully kills you before you're hung on a conveyor line).
If you eat meat, you should be able to kill your own food. At least that way the animal can live a natural life.
After all, how many served at McDonalds? All that cow and chicken is coming from somewhere and I can guarantee it's not from Farmer Johnson's Paradise Animal Retreat.

I've worked in both poultry/pork processors for nearly ten years so I know what you are saying. There is some pain involved but its not the same as chasing after a fox and cheering on the hounds as the catch and rip apart a fox and getting fun out of it. And as far as intensive farming goes poultry are not feed hormones to make them mature at a faster rate but high protein diets. Its against the law to fed animals hormones to induce growth in Ireland and Europe.

Darkthoughts
03-14-2008, 03:42 AM
I live in the Cotswolds which is riddled with British aristocracy and is also in the heart of fox hunting country.
I think if The Hunt were forced to be perfectly honest, you'd discover this outcry over the ban wasn't really about hunting, its more a social issue.

The aristocracy in Britain have been losing their position in British society rapidly since the early 1900's. With more people from working class backgrounds becoming self made millionaires etc, the upper classes are even losing the financial status that previously divided them from us.
Fox hunting however, is traditionally a sport of the upper classes, as Ruthful rightfully pointed out, and I think they really just see banning hunting as another step towards completely integrating them into the rest of society - perhaps there is no longer any working class and the divide between middle and upper class is now very thin...but they will fight like hell to keep it from becoming solely middle class throughout.

alinda
03-14-2008, 05:04 AM
My thought's are as follows
Hunting and fishing are both
natural, and good. The rule
that you use what you take
is paramount tho' no waste.
Personally when its fresh it...
tastes better, has vertualy
no additives, and if your
crafty and can make use
of the skins/bones whatever
this should always be done.
Otherwise.....use a camara!!

Storyslinger
03-14-2008, 05:40 AM
I have hunted since a young age, and there has never been one occurance in my life where I have do it for sport. Anything that I have ever killed was eaten, or it was eliminated for outside reasons, such as damage to others or pets. I find nothing wrong with it and don't buy into the idea that hunters are hurting the environment. Much of the money used when it come to hunting is put into systems and plans to conserve wildlife and naturual habitats. Now, thats not to say that all hunters are good. Because, like in everything, you get the good with the bad.

John Blaze
03-14-2008, 05:45 AM

Hunting for food....

I've worked in both poultry/pork processors for nearly ten years so I know what you are saying. There is some pain involved but its not the same as chasing after a fox and cheering on the hounds as the catch and rip apart a fox and getting fun out of it. And as far as intensive farming goes poultry are not feed hormones to make them mature at a faster rate but high protein diets. Its against the law to fed animals hormones to induce growth in Ireland and Europe.

When I busted tires one of our clients was a meat processing plant. I got to see firsthand the practices and it is not humane.

One of my uncles in Colorado works for a turkey farm. I asked him and he said they do inject hormones in the young turkeys so they gain weight faster. The high protein diet is true also, they have to put on lean meat, not just fat.

About the dogs, I don't know if you've ever seen hunting dogs doing their thing, but there isn't a better trained or more obedient dog out there than a good hunting dog. It will not tear anything apart. Fox hounds are trained to track and if necessary bring down the fox, but they will not needlessly mangle an animal. It's not like people use fighting pit bulls to go out and rip their throat out.

John Blaze
03-14-2008, 05:53 AM
I'd love to get a WWII German Karibiner to shoot. It's called a Mossin Nagent. Cheap and fun to shoot. Look it up.

But if it all came down to it, I've got no problem using a bow and arror or even attemptiong to sneak up and use a Machete or throwing knives. As kid I trained at my old cottage with a homemade spear to go rabbit hunting, never saw a rabbit though but I obliterated a lot of bags full of newspaper

See, this is in no way more humane than using a rifle. If you were to actually hit a deer with a throwing knife, it'd be virtually impossible to kill it in one merciful stroke. And if it get away, it will most likely get it's wound infected and die in pain. This is why there are minimum caliber restrictions on hunting. Bow and arrow hunting takes alot of skill and patience. If you decide to do this, please practice alot first.

I use a rifle because I know I'm a good enough shot to take down my quarry without it suffering.

Rjeso
03-14-2008, 06:11 AM
I'm another one who is fine with hunting if you're planning on using the animal for food. I am also fine with culling herds if need be. Brown County in Indiana had so many deer at one point that the deer were killing all the trees in the state forests through excessive bark- and shoot-eating. By all means, if the animals are so numerous that they are having an adverse effect on their habitat, take them down. There has to be a balance maintained, and since it's getting rarer and rarer for people to hunt, deer are out of control in a lot of places and we need to step in to control the population.

Hunting animals just to be able to hang them on your wall (and for no other reason) bothers me, though.

John Blaze
03-14-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm another one who is fine with hunting if you're planning on using the animal for food. I am also fine with culling herds if need be. Brown County in Indiana had so many deer at one point that the deer were killing all the trees in the state forests through excessive bark- and shoot-eating. By all means, if the animals are so numerous that they are having an adverse effect on their habitat, take them down. There has to be a balance maintained, and since it's getting rarer and rarer for people to hunt, deer are out of control in a lot of places and we need to step in to control the population.

Hunting animals just to be able to hang them on your wall (and for no other reason) bothers me, though.

What pisses me off is that there are management teams for state wildlife preserves where no hunting is allowed who are paying "contractors" thousands of dollars to kill animals and leave them there, instead of selling tags, which raises money and also gives people meat to eat.

WTF?

Rjeso
03-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Wow. That's completely ridiculous. People don't think things through anymore. :(

John Blaze
03-14-2008, 06:37 AM
The thing is, people lobbied extensively for them to just sell tags, but they decided that instead of making more money for conservation efforts, making hunters happy, and solving their problem, they'd pay money out of the state pockets to private contractors to just come out and kill animals randomly and leave them to rot.

blackrose22
03-14-2008, 07:29 AM
There's strict laws in the Ireland and Europe about the way animals are slaughtered. They do it in away to minimise the pain and distress for the animal. There is some pain involved but its over very quickly so the suffering and distress is kept to a minimum. With fox hunting it seems to me to be a sadistic sport where people get enjoyment of putting a fox in distress by chasing it for miles on end and then watching a pack of hounds kill it when it cant run anymore due to exhaustion. A lot of the time the fox will manage to get away but still it's the distress it's been put under during the chase is bad anyway.
Hunting dogs are different in the way they are trained to help a hunter in his search for quarry and to help retrieve it if it's a pheasant or other kind of small animal after it's been killed.