PDA

View Full Version : Fave Directors - Who do you love and why?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Odetta
03-11-2008, 07:14 AM
So... this is a thread to discuss directors. Who are your faves and why?

Storyslinger
03-11-2008, 07:31 AM
I like Mick Garris for some of the works that he has done by sai King.

Mainly The Stand

Odetta
03-11-2008, 08:21 AM
I just watched Heat again yesterday for like the billionth time and I realize how much I like Michael Mann. The mood he creates... I just love it.

fernandito
03-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez for the raw power that their movies emit (mainly Reservoir Dogs and Desperado, respectively). Stanley Kubrick for his habit of making films into brilliant tour de forces' of images, and the way he embeds social commentary and satire. James Cameron for his vision and attention to detail. Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. Tim Burton for dazzling us with just about every movie he makes. The list goes on and on...

Storyslinger
03-11-2008, 08:28 AM
I like Burton to and also John Carpenter

Brice
03-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Everyone Feev said...plus Oliver Stone, Frank Darabont, others I can't think of right now.

jayson
03-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez for the raw power that their movies emit (mainly Reservoir Dogs and Desperado, respectively). Stanley Kubrick for his habit of making films into brilliant tour de forces' of images, and the way he embeds social commentary and satire. James Cameron for his vision and attention to detail. Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. Tim Burton for dazzling us with just about every movie he makes. The list goes on and on...

all of the above are excellent choices Fev!
i'd also add Richard Linklater for showing that good "story" doesn't have to be formulaic and my hero, Terry Gilliam for, well for Brazil alone he ranks as my fav director ever, but for his ability to create realistic nightmares and dream worlds and making every shot stunning to look at.

obscurejude
03-11-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm a big fan of Zwick. I think his landscapes are amazing and he provides a good combination of action sequences and thought provoking social commentary (Last Samurai and Blood Diamond).

Letti
03-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Quentin Tarantino & Luc Besson

jayson
03-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Luc Besson is great Letti. good choice!

Letti
03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks. I do love most of his films.

jayson
03-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks. I do love most of his films.

i do too, except i didn't really care for "The Messenger" very much. i like the joan d'arc story, but didn't like this film so much. Now, Leon [aka "The Professional"] that is a GREAT movie

Letti
03-11-2008, 10:54 AM
I watched Leon 10 times or much more as a kid.

Heather19
03-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Quentin Tarentino, I just love the way he tells a story. He'll jump around, but in the end it all makes complete sense. I love his camera work and editing most of all. He really knows how to set up a great shot.

Tim Burton, all of his films are just so beautiful. They have a dreamlike quality to them that I love.

I'll go see any film either of them put out without hesitation, and even if I'm not too fond of the story, I know there'll be other things about the film that I'll enjoy.

Oh, and Hitchcock of course, we can't forget about him.

Mattrick
03-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Clint Eastwood (I can't believe none of you have mentioned him)

Ridley Scott

Cameron Crowe

Roman Polanski

Steven Spielberg

Christopher Nolan

Quentin Tarantino

Martin Scorscese

James Cameron

Tim Burton

M. Night Shyamalan

I feel like I'm missing somebody....

Unfound One
03-11-2008, 11:00 PM
michel gondry for eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - brilliant movie and one of my favorites.
and of course,
peter jackson...
yeah, i'm a lord of the rings nerd as well :)

Letti
03-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Anyway Quentin Tarentino is incredibly good at choosing the right acters.

Mattrick
03-11-2008, 11:34 PM
peter jackson...
yeah, i'm a lord of the rings nerd as well :)

I was hoping he wouldn't be named. While his movies may be good, imo, some of his techniques, especially the overuse of slow motion, get to me sometimes.

Unfound One
03-12-2008, 12:26 AM
ah i'm gonna agree with you on that one actually...
especially *one* of the last endings of return of the king - frodo in bed with everybody else coming in one by one. terrible. ha.

Brice
03-12-2008, 01:28 AM
David Lynch

Heather19
03-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Anyway Quentin Tarentino is incrdibly good at choosing the right acters.

Yes he is, as well as choosing music. He always has the perfect song playing at right moment.

And Brice, I can't believe I forgot about David Lynch. He is great as well.

Mattrick
03-12-2008, 02:29 AM
especially *one* of the last endings of return of the king - frodo in bed with everybody else coming in one by one. terrible. ha.

I love how he says everyones name but when Legolas walks in he says nothing as if 'who....are you, again, exactly?'

fernandito
03-12-2008, 06:13 AM
In the name of all that is holy, how could I possibly forget to mention Sir Ridley Scott? Alien and Gladiator are two of the best movies ever.

(hangs head in shame)

Storyslinger
03-12-2008, 06:17 AM
In the name of all that is holy, how could I possibly forget to mention Sir Ridley Scott? Alien and Gladiator are two of the best movies ever.

(hangs head in shame)

Hear, Hear!

Ruthful
03-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Critics give Scorcese crap-much of it justified-but you can't watch The Godfather or The Departed-granted, that one was essentially plagiarized wholesale from the popular Chinese original-and say he isn't at least somewhat talented.

I'm not going to delve into the minutiae of why I like each of these directors, but I'll give a more detailed explanation if asked,

-Jafar Panahi
-Tim Burton
-Pedro Almodóvar
-The Hughes brothers
-Christopher Nolan
-Ang Lee
-Chen Kaige
-Stanley Kubrick
-Federico Fellini
-Ingmar Bergman
-Akira Kurosawa
-Nicolas Winding Refn
-John Landis

jayson
03-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Critics give Scorcese crap-much of it justified-but you can't watch The Godfather or The Departed-granted, that one was essentially plagiarized wholesale from the popular Chinese original-and say he isn't at least somewhat talented.

i can watch the godfather and say whatever i want about scorcese since coppola directed it. i get your point though, and if you sub goodfellas in there, all the better.

Ruthful
03-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Pfft...

All of those Italians look alike.

:P

What can I say?

I'm not much of a cineaste.

:unsure:

I love Goodfellas though. The one thing I didn't enjoy was how much the film underplayed the imbecility of Henry Hill, although the final line of the film clues in the audience a bit.

fernandito
03-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I think the whole movie is a play on his imbecility :lol:

Unfound One
03-12-2008, 06:06 PM

I love how he says everyones name but when Legolas walks in he says nothing as if 'who....are you, again, exactly?'

ha! don't even get me started on legolas.
especially orlando bloom playing him.
every thing he says in all three movies = captain obvious
ugh.

Mattrick
03-12-2008, 11:23 PM
lol

*Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli stare down 10,000 orcs.*
Legolas: There are orcs.

I recently sat through Pirates 3 - At World's End for the second time. Bloom was horrible. HAve you by any chance seen Elizabethtown directed by Cameron Crowe? It's a good movie but Bloom plays a lead whom goes through many underlying issues and grows throughout the movie yet we just wouldn't see it if we weren't told. Shame Bloom had to take that movie down from something much better.

I've yet to see Blade Runner but I love Matchstick Men.

Unfound One
03-13-2008, 12:09 AM
*Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli discuss what to do to save Frodo*
Aragorn: We can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us.
Legolas: A diversion.
oh really? that's what that's called? man jesus...

And yeah, absolutely. Pirates is only good because of Johnny, imo. The third one did get a little long though, I went to the midnight premier and fell asleep a couple times.
I haven't seen Elizabethtown for the very reason that Orlando was in it and it looked like a chicflic... I'm not a big fan. Shall I give it a try though?
Also - Bladerunner. Brilliant film, one of my favorites.

Mattrick
03-13-2008, 02:57 AM
*Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli discuss what to do to save Frodo*
Aragorn: We can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us.
Legolas: A diversion.
oh really? that's what that's called? man jesus...

That's the line I meant to remember about it lol

I haven't seen Elizabethtown for the very reason that Orlando was in it and it looked like a chicflic... I'm not a big fan. Shall I give it a try though?

If you've seen any Cameron Crowe films 'Jerry McGuire, Almost Famous, Vanilla Sky' there is the prevailant story story aspect to it. But, like the previous movies it's pretty well done. The supporting cast was all good, Bloom is the only ink in the water. But the rest of the movie is well worth a watch. Me and my friend say it all the time 'why did Elizabethtown have Bloom in it? WHY CAMERON WHY!?' it could have had ANYONE else in it, besides Vin Diesel, Brendan Fraser and a few of that ilk. Keanu would've been better.

Ruthful
03-13-2008, 03:40 AM
I think the whole movie is a play on his imbecility :lol:

To a certain degree, but they still had to trim their sails in order to obtain his cooperation with the script. You only get a taste of what a complete stunad this guy is, and how that led him to make the series of decisions that completely destroyed his life.

cozener
03-13-2008, 04:34 AM
Peter Jackson...I love him for what he did with The Lord of the Rings. I don't know what else he's done. I don't care. This was plenty.

Tim Burton...I love just about every movie he's done

John Carpenter...I like the feel of his movies and The Thing is one of my favorite sci fi flicks

Quentin Tarantino...his flicks just blow me away...Dusk til Dawn might just be my favorite vampire movie of all time.

Russell Mulcahy...just for directing Highlander.

John McTiernan...just for directing Die Hard

Ridley Scott...Alien, Bladerunner, etc

Clint Eastwood...every movie this guy has directed was a solid flick...most of them outfuckingstanding.

And why the hell does everyone hate Orlando Bloom? He's not a bad actor...as good as most if you ask me. And the scripts he delivers are not his fault. Don't hate the guy because he's pretty! :)

Mattrick
03-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Clint Eastwood...every movie this guy has directed was a solid flick...most of them outfuckingstanding.

My favourite director. His style is so basic and elementary but that is what makes it so good. Mystic River is in my top five favourite movies. I was blown away when I first seen it. Fucking Return of the King just had to take best picture and Jackson stole the directing away which he didn't deserve next to Clint. Hadn't see an oscar travesty so bad since Shakesphere In Love beat Saving Private Ryan.

And why the hell does everyone hate Orlando Bloom? He's not a bad actor...as good as most if you ask me. And the scripts he delivers are not his fault. Don't hate the guy because he's pretty! :)

Because he has two expressions; perplexed and intense eyes, perplexed face. Seeing Bloom star in a quality movie like Elizabethtown and know he dragged it down where as a heath ledger or even Hayden Christensen would've suited ore. Bloom can play actiony, heart throb roll as much as he wants but when he starts rolling into movies by my favourite directors with his mediocracy and monotoned acting I get sad.

Odetta
03-13-2008, 11:05 AM
don't even get me started on Christensen, Mattrick... yuk!

Mattrick
03-13-2008, 11:17 AM
I just said this in another thread but watch Life as a House and Shattered Glass to see his talents :D

fernandito
03-13-2008, 11:43 AM
His biggest talent is fucking up everything he appears in.

Odetta
03-13-2008, 01:17 PM
:lol:

jayson
03-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Quentin Tarantino...his flicks just blow me away...Dusk til Dawn might just be my favorite vampire movie of all time.

me too dude, me too, though i believe QT only wrote and produced it and "acted" in it, while Robert Rodriguez directed it. that said it is still a great vamp movie. not only is it worth it for salma hayek alone, it has great humor, and action rodriguez style and an awesome soundtrack [which you knew Tarantino had a hand in picking].

Heather19
03-13-2008, 01:36 PM
I just said this in another thread but watch Life as a House and Shattered Glass to see his talents :D

Great film. Haven't heard of Shattered Glass though, what is it about?

cozener
03-13-2008, 02:18 PM

me too dude, me too, though i believe QT only wrote and produced it and "acted" in it, while Robert Rodriguez directed it. that said it is still a great vamp movie. not only is it worth it for salma hayek alone, it has great humor, and action rodriguez style and an awesome soundtrack [which you knew Tarantino had a hand in picking]. Ah...didn't know that. But I have to wonder how much input he had in the direction. I mean he was big at this point. Its his screenplay. He produced it. He's also constantly on the set because he's in it. The movie has a lot of that Tarantino feel to it.

Mattrick
03-13-2008, 03:22 PM

Great film. Haven't heard of Shattered Glass though, what is it about?

It's based on the true story of Stephen Glass, a politcal journalist for a washington politcal paper who learned how to fabricate news stories without the fact checkers finding the fallacies and was much loved for his journalistic abilities for years until it all caught up with him. It's a very good movie.

I love From Dusk Till Dawn but I almost wish it didn't turn into a vampire movie halfway through. You have a whole plotline going with no mention or foreshadowing of vampires. You could seriously tell someone the movie is about two outlaws getting into mexico to out run authorities and they would be shocked when Salma Hayek transforms.

I still think Tarantino's best screeplays were written with Roger Avery so I don't think Tarantino can take all the credit for his earlier works. Kill Bill is his only movie since Pulp Fiction that was great. IMO, Tarantino needs to revitalize himself. He's considered this amazing talent for what, a couple good movies? Of course Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs wouldn't have been as good if not for their amazing casts.

I hated Death Proof, it was a wretched movie. He says 'it was a homage picture' but seemed to purposely make a bad movie just because the old ones were bad.

His biggest talent is fucking up everything he appears in. Again, basing ones acting talents on seeing him in action movies isn't a good way to show someones talents. If you've seen the two movies I listed then badmouth him all you want. Unlike an Orlando Bloom or a Vin Diesel or a Keanu Reeves he's not helpless without explosions.

jayson
03-14-2008, 03:06 AM

me too dude, me too, though i believe QT only wrote and produced it and "acted" in it, while Robert Rodriguez directed it. that said it is still a great vamp movie. not only is it worth it for salma hayek alone, it has great humor, and action rodriguez style and an awesome soundtrack [which you knew Tarantino had a hand in picking]. Ah...didn't know that. But I have to wonder how much input he had in the direction. I mean he was big at this point. Its his screenplay. He produced it. He's also constantly on the set because he's in it. The movie has a lot of that Tarantino feel to it.

a lot i am sure. with the dvd is a great making of documentary. it was rodriguez' film but QT had a MAJOR hand in it.

sarah
03-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez for the raw power that their movies emit (mainly Reservoir Dogs and Desperado, respectively). . Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. Tim Burton for dazzling us with just about every movie he makes. The list goes on and on...

oh yes, exactly. I feel the same way. I edited out Kubrick because I personally haven't liked any movie he's done with the exception of The Shining.

Everyone Feev said...plus Oliver Stone, Frank Darabont, others I can't think of right now.

seriously, Frank Darabont is freaking amazing. I just watched The Shawshank Redemption the other day and I'm still so impressed. I personally and not a fan of Oliver Stone.

I also want to add Clint Eastwood as a director. Amazing every time around, imo

fernandito
03-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez for the raw power that their movies emit (mainly Reservoir Dogs and Desperado, respectively). . Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. Tim Burton for dazzling us with just about every movie he makes. The list goes on and on...

oh yes, exactly. I feel the same way. I edited out Kubrick because I personally haven't liked any movie he's done with the exception of The Shining.

You left out James Cameron? T2? :(

Oh yeah, and that whole Stanley Kubrick thing will definitely have to be addressed once we meet face to face ;)

Also, as far as I know , Rodriguez writes the music for the majority of his movies. There's a special feature in Once Upon A Time In Mexico where he gives a quick tour through his studio-home, and he plays guitar while the scene with eyeless Depp plays in the backround. His band is also the one that performed the Malageña song at the end of Kill Bill Vol. 2.

jayson
03-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Also, as far as I know , Rodriguez writes the music for the majority of his movies. There's a special feature in Once Upon A Time In Mexico where he gives a quick tour through his studio-home, and he plays guitar while the scene with eyeless Depp plays in the backround. His band is also the one that performed the Malageña song at the end of Kill Bill Vol. 2.

that is true, though not the case with Dusk Til Dawn. The soundtrack features a wide array of artists, none of who are Rodrgiuez. In the making of documentary you can see though that he always had an acoustic guitar with him throughout the whole shoot. I also saw the Once Upon a Time in Mexico dvd spec feat on his home studio which is sweet, and he is a pretty good player as well.

fernandito
03-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Yes he can, he's pretty fucking talented. He can direct, edit, produce, and score a film! He's also a kickass cook! :lol:

sarah
03-14-2008, 11:51 AM

You left out James Cameron? T2? :(

Oh yeah, and that whole Stanley Kubrick thing will definitely have to be addressed once we meet face to face ;)

oh snap! How could I forget that? :doh:

also, I'm feelin the love of your Eazy-E av/sig combo. Everytime I see it I start singing

This is a stick-up, everybody get face-down
Ren, gag their mouths so they can't make a sound
Tie em up for the fact that I'm kickin ass
I got my hand on my gat, and I'm tempted to blast
My name is Eazy, but I go the hard way out

fernandito
03-14-2008, 11:54 AM
:wub:

Is there no limit to your awesomeness?

sarah
03-14-2008, 04:15 PM
:wub: back at 'cha

Ruthful
03-15-2008, 03:04 AM
I have to agree with FP about Robert Rodriguez.

The cooking segment he did for the extras in the DVD of the last part of the Mariachi trilogy was pretty awesome.

Lance
03-18-2008, 08:33 AM
I'll watch anything that has Tarantino's name on it. Although I was a little disappointed with Death Proof.

fernandito
03-18-2008, 08:36 AM
A little? That shit bored me to tears.

Lance
03-18-2008, 08:44 AM

Yeah, it sucked balls until the last half hour or so. I did love the scene where Zoe was on the hood. And when the girls beat the shit out of Stuntman Mike. :lol:

Mattrick
03-18-2008, 11:27 PM

Death Proof was balls. First half was alright and when Stuntman Mike started playing dirty I knew all the building was leading to something. Just when there starts to be a plot...there isn't.

Really, I think Robert Rodriquez had an idea with Planet Terror and Tarantino is like 'man, please, I'm stoked for ideas and it's not good but coupled with yours we'll both make more money.'

Can't believe I left out Sam Raimi and David Fincher. Sam Raimi's real telents are there as shown with movies such as For Love of the Game and A Simple Plan but is more known for his Evil Dead and Spiderman movies, which is sad. A Simple Plan was simply amazing. Sad that shitty band had to soil the name.

Still Servant
03-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure if anybody heard, but director Anthony Minghella died.

He directed one of my favorite films, The Talented Mr. Ripley.

He also directed Cold Mountain and the English Patient.

A young director taken way before his time.

Mattrick
03-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Cold Mountain was good, Ripley was alright and I LOATHED The English Patient but RIP

LadyHitchhiker
03-21-2008, 11:12 AM
James Cameron
Steven Speilburg
George Romero
Kevin Smith
Leonard Nimoy

because they rock...

Lance
03-23-2008, 05:01 AM
I also love David Lynch's movies.

Brice
03-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Yes, David Lynch is fuckin' great. :D

A few more I usually like movies by:

Lucio Fulci
Mario Bava
Dario Argento

cozener
03-25-2008, 04:36 AM
The Cohen brothers....of course.

ZoNeSeeK
04-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Jim Cameron, not only does he produce brilliant action movies but the groups of writers and actors he attracts are also legendary.

Cohen brothers - just imagine what they'll be producing when they're scorcese's age :)

Ruthful
04-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Coen Brothers.

No "h."

ZoNeSeeK
04-02-2008, 08:48 PM
:)

Seymour_Glass
04-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Wes Anderson is my favorite director. He's amazing. Everything about his films I love. Watch 'em. He did Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and The Darjeeling Limited.

Richard Kelly. Donnie Darko made me realize what I what to do with my life.

The Coens.

Kevin Smith. Quentin Tarantino.

Ruthful
04-26-2008, 05:59 AM
I also love David Lynch's movies.

I tend to agree, although "love" is a strong term.

I watched "Eraserhead" for the first time a few weeks ago.

WTF??!!

I mean, even for David Lynch that crap was weird.

><

Arthur Heath
04-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Ridley Scott. 1 word - BLADERUNNER

turtlex
04-26-2008, 12:38 PM
For style alone, I'm going to toss out Kathryn Bigelow.

"Near Dark" is one of my all time favorite vampire movies, and it's all about her direction. "Point Break", cheesy as all get out, but stylistically, it's great to watch. I wish she worked more. I also really enjoyed the look and feel of "Strange Days".

Oh, yea, she was married to James Cameron before he left her for Linda Hamilton. The mention of Cameron above reminded me of Bigelow.

Personally, I think Cameron is a bit over-rated. For one thing, I thought "Titanic" was an overlong suckfest of self absorption.

Someone mentioned Luc Besson and he directed one of the coolest films I ever lucked upon - The Big Blue. It was great.

jayson
04-26-2008, 12:52 PM
"Near Dark" is one of my all time favorite vampire movies, and it's all about her direction.

good call Turtlex. I also love "Near Dark"

NeverAgain
04-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Akira Kurasawa - If it weren't for his movies then...we'd have some shitty movies now.

Paul Thomas Anderson - An example of learning through experience rather than learning through education.

Stanley Kubrick - Expert at showing emotions in physical form.

turtlex
04-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Oh, PT Anderson!
Good call. Boogie Nights and Magnolia. Rocking Awesome.

susie
04-29-2008, 04:09 PM
1. coen brothers! they're impressive.

2. akira kurosawa. his movies mesmerize me.

3. julie taymor. she directed frida, titus, and across the universe, and she uses incredible masks and puppetry in her films. visually stunning.

NeverAgain
04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
3. julie taymor. she directed frida, titus, and across the universe, and she uses incredible masks and puppetry in her films. visually stunning.

I've seen bits and pieces of Frida. I haven't seen the others. I'll probably pick a couple of these this weekend Thanks for the mention!

turtlex
04-30-2008, 06:01 AM
Speaking of "Across The Universe" - I just got it on Blu-Ray. I plan on watching it this weekend.

susie
05-01-2008, 02:51 PM
neveragain: i hope you see frida! it's my favorite of her films. i love the scene where chavela vargas as "death" sings to frida, because she was frida kahlo's lover in real life.

YouTube - Chavela Vargas - La Llorona (Clip)

boq
05-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Ridley Scott and Terry Gilliam. There'll be others I've not connected to their movies. I quite enjoyed Shyamalan's stuff... something about "Signs" really struck a chord after a couple of viewings, though I know it's not a lot of people's favourite.

jemaher
05-01-2008, 04:06 PM
billy wilder,ridley scott, hitchcock,mel brooks, stanley donan, and i would have added frank darbonnet but im still undecided on the mist....

devo133
05-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Stanley Kubrick: Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, 2001. I don't know of another director with as many monumental films to his/her credit.

turtlex
05-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Stanley Kubrick: Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, 2001. I don't know of another director with as many monumental films to his/her credit.

Speilberg.

Seymour_Glass
05-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Sam Raimi. Wes Anderson (again). Christopher Nolan. David Fincher. Love.

fernandito
11-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Christoper Nolan and The Coen Brothers (a*k*a the director with two heads) have quickly sky rocketed to the top of my favorite director(s) list.

John_and_Yoko
11-11-2008, 12:52 PM

Speilberg.

:lol: They worked on a movie together--A. I.

But yeah, love Kubrick--I don't know if there's any other director whose films I watch that religiously BECAUSE of who directed them....

Seymour_Glass
11-14-2008, 07:09 PM
He's only recently directed anything, but Charlie Kaufman is one of the people who makes me see all of his movies.

Still Servant
11-14-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure if anybody has said his name yet, but I always enjoy his movies.

David Fincher.

I think he's one of the more underrated filmmakers working today.

He's made some really good films like Fight Club, Se7en, Panic Room and Zodiac. He also made Alien 3, but I won't hold that against him.

He also directed one of my favorite films of all time, The Game. Nobody ever talks about this film, but I think it deserves a lot more attention than it gets. Michael Douglas and Sean Penn.

If you haven't seen this film yet, look it up.

The Lady of Shadows
11-14-2008, 10:05 PM
wow. the game. i haven't thought of that movie in years. that one was freaky - i don't know why it got to me on the level that it did but man did it get to me.

hmmmmm - :: looks through movies in all four bookcases ::
only have it on vhs (if that gives you any indication of how long it's been). have to go rent it.

:cool:

Unfound One
11-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Hmmm...

Has anybody said Alfonso Cuarón?
Children of Men and Y tu mamá también are both grrrrrreat.

jayson
11-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Y Tu Mama Tambien was good, but I thought Children of Men was one of the singular worst movies I've ever seen. Other than Michael Caine's performance, I hated everything else about that entire film.

Seymour_Glass
11-15-2008, 09:43 AM
I really liked Children of Men. It had great cinematography.

Empath of the White
11-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Tim Burton

When I was in kindergarten, my dad took me to see The Nightmare Before Christmas, which had just come out, and I loved it. From there I saw Beetlejuice then his Pee Wee movie, liked both of them. Saw Batman. It was okay. Saw Batman Returns and loved it (I was in first grade at this point, WB and Soccer Moms that claim this movie is too dark and awful take note). Hell, I even liked Big Fish. Planet of the Apes is the only place where I feel Burton fumbled the ball.

Aside from getting an introduction to his movies so early in my life, I think its his visual style that I really like. The best example I can think of would be Edward Scissorhands. Specifically, the darker colors of the Inventor's Castle, which contrasts sharply to the sugary brightness of the little suburb at its base.

I love...

*puts on flame suit*

Paul Anderson.

Why? Yeah, he bastardized Resident Evil, but he's still doing movies. Nothing, not even a legion of a franchise's best troops (fanboys) can stop him. He lets nothing compromise his vision. Not even logic. Just watch the end of Resident Evil: Extinction.

fernandito
11-16-2008, 05:32 AM
Paul Anderson is great, even if he did butcher (and then some) the Resident Evil movies.

He gave us Event Horizon and Mortal Kombat, two of my favorite movies.

Seymour_Glass
12-05-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure if anybody has said his name yet, but I always enjoy his movies.

David Fincher.

I think he's one of the more underrated filmmakers working today.

He's made some really good films like Fight Club, Se7en, Panic Room and Zodiac. He also made Alien 3, but I won't hold that against him.

He also directed one of my favorite films of all time, The Game. Nobody ever talks about this film, but I think it deserves a lot more attention than it gets. Michael Douglas and Sean Penn.

If you haven't seen this film yet, look it up.

Yeah, man. I had seen and loved Fight Club, but I really realized he was a director to watch when I saw Zodiac.I have yet to see anything else of his.

Also, I heard he didn't really have a script while shooting Alien 3.

Odetta
12-06-2008, 10:45 AM
I absolutely LOVED The Game as well, Servant... quite an underrated movie in my opinion

Jean
12-06-2008, 11:05 AM
I didn't even know it was underestimated! I think it was very interesting, a real movie - which, you know, bears can very seldom say of American movies in last three or four decades. Also, it is well known and well loved in Russia.

jayson
12-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Some Fincher I like, Fight Club, Se7ev, The Game... Some Fincher I didn't care for like Panic Room. I do think he's done more good films than bad and I am usually willing to go see his work.

Ruthful
12-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Christopher Nolan, Jafar Panahi, Judd Apatow, Nicolas Winding Refn

Roland number 19
12-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Quentin Tarentino.

Two words:
Reservoir Bunnies.

Erm.. I mean, Dogs. :D

Odetta
12-07-2008, 04:21 PM
I didn't even know it was underestimated! I think it was very interesting, a real movie - which, you know, bears can very seldom say of American movies in last three or four decades. Also, it is well known and well loved in Russia.

I dunno, it seems to me that I haven't heard many talk about it, but I truly loved the film

Sam
12-07-2008, 06:20 PM
I didn't bother reading all four pages... I'm lazy that way.

My fave director still is Akira Kurosawa. He made such films as Ran, Seven Samurai, High and Low, Rashomon, and Yojimbo. Any one of those films would be considered a masterpiece in most current directors works and yet these are just a few of the works Kurosawa created. Not every film he made was a masterpiece of film, but his worst was far greater than many a director's best. Kurosawa created ART on celluloid not movies. He put human emotion, raw power, and great sorrow into his work. To view one of his films is to invest yourself not just to sit and watch a few flicking pictures. I cannot honestly think of a director living today to compare him to. If you are not familiar with the work of Akira Kurosawa, you are not a fan of film. He inspired most of the works we think of as great film. Star Wars, The Man With No Name, The Magnificent Seven, Wolves of the Calla (It's DAMN true), and on and on.

pathoftheturtle
12-11-2008, 09:49 AM
:orely:How can I follow that? :idea: David Lean.

:unsure:Woody Allen, at times. Mostly, it is his writing that I admire.
I’m really more of a biliophile than film buff; all about story, and theme.

John Ford, Orson Welles, and Charlie Chaplin.

Terry Gilliam is generally good. Time Bandits, TAOB Munchausen, The Fisher King

Robert Altman was definitely a fav director of mine.

... Martin Scorsese for his ability to recreate real life events into enjoyable and unforgetable films. ...Yar. He’s the best. There are scads of terrific docu-dramas out there, from this great director and that one who had an exciting subject, but no one scores consistently with them the way that Scorsese does.
Oliver Stone has some of that ability, though never with the same acumen.
Also wanna mention Ron Howard, if only for A Beautiful Mind.

Sydney Pollack did some good work, and I like Barry Levinson.
Rob Reiner
Robert Zemeckis
Bob Fosse
Blake Edwards
Mike Nichols
Arthur Penn, without question.

…Not to dis Fincher, though. Fight Club is a subversive classic! :thumbsup: We’re not likely to see another film like that anytime soon.

I’m wild about the Coen brothers.:drool:

Christopher Nolan is one to watch.

Paul Anderson is great, even if he did butcher (and then some) the Resident Evil movies.

He gave us Event Horizon and Mortal Kombat, two of my favorite movies.Menh. I didn't enjoy any of that.
Here’s what I don’t get, though: Punch-Drunk Love. Director I don’t much like works with star I don’t much like, resulting in movie I quite adore.:beat:

jayson
12-11-2008, 09:58 AM
:
Terry Gilliam is generally good. Time Bandits, TAOB Munchausen, The Fisher King

Don't forget the one in your member title. Twelve Monkeys was excellent :)
He also directed my favorite film of all time, Brazil.
Looking forward to 2009 and the release of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus starring Tom Waits and Heath Ledger (in his final performance).

pathoftheturtle
12-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Sure. I just wanted to highlight that "trilogy" because I had noticed that Brazil was the only one that'd been mentioned on this thread.

That reminds me, I wanted to respond to an older comment:
...I love From Dusk Till Dawn but I almost wish it didn't turn into a vampire movie halfway through. You have a whole plotline going with no mention or foreshadowing of vampires. You could seriously tell someone the movie is about two outlaws getting into mexico to out run authorities and they would be shocked when Salma Hayek transforms. ...... I think that was the point. Weird QT thing. I liked it, though, in a way.:onfire:
:lol:

Empath of the White
12-11-2008, 11:20 AM
I gotta add Guilermo del Toro and Peter Jackson as well.

Now on another forum I visit, anytime there's word of some "epic" movie, like a Halo adaption, The Legend of Drizzt, or anything like that, people start calling for Jackson. PJ is a good director, but the thing is, he is a really big fan of LOTR, that is why the movies are so enjoyable for the most part. There are some fans that are miffed about changes but its understandable. That is why I like PJ: he's a fanboy who didn't let things like runtime or studio imput dilute his vision

I like Del Toro because the man has a great eye for visuals, be it creatures or environments. His stuff has really inspired my fantasy writings, and his storylines aren't too bad either. Hellboy II was pretty good, and Pan's Labyrinth was great.

jayson
12-11-2008, 11:50 AM
fan of LOTR, that is why the movies are so enjoyable for the most part. There are some fans that are miffed about changes but its understandable. That is why I like PJ: he's a fanboy who didn't let things like runtime or studio imput dilute his vision

He didn't seem to let little things like Tolkien's source material get in his way either.

Melike
12-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Kim Ki-Duk is my favorite. I love all of his films. So deep, natural, stunning.
Besides, I like Chan-Wook Park, Pedro Almodóvar, Emir Kusturica, Lars Von Trier, Coen Brothers, Jeunet & Caro, Darren Aronofsky, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Guillermo del Toro, Takeshi Kitano.

Seymour_Glass
01-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Who directed Debbie Does Dallas?:lol::wtf:

The Cosmic Geek
01-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Tim Burton and Steven Spielberg.

Brice
01-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Who directed Debbie Does Dallas?:lol::wtf:

Tim Burton and Steven Spielberg.

No, I'm quite sure it wasn't them.

fernandito
01-29-2009, 12:00 PM
I think he was just stating who his favorite directors are :lol:

Seymour_Glass
01-29-2009, 03:27 PM
That warranted a new signature.

Brice
01-29-2009, 05:16 PM
I think he was just stating who his favorite directors are :lol:

I know he was, but I couldn't resist. :cyclops:

That warranted a new signature.

Thank you sir! :D

The Cosmic Geek
01-30-2009, 05:42 PM
:wtf: That was the best laugh I had all day, thank you!

Seriously though I love Burton and Spielberg. They represent sort of a Yin and Yang of my personality.

Del Toro is great too, loved Hellboy and I cannot wait to see what he does with The Hobbit.

Brice
01-31-2009, 06:18 AM
Glad I could help. *bows*

Burton and Spielberg are both great though.

The Cosmic Geek
01-31-2009, 11:36 AM
I really like Steven Chow, well, at least from what I have seen with Kung Fu Hustle and Shoalin Soccer, both were great.

And Edgar Wright. Love his stuff, Shaun of the Dead turned me onto his directing, Hot Fuzz made me want more, and when I saw Spaced, I was hooked.

Seymour_Glass
04-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Danny Boyle. He just does whatever the fuck he wants, and does it well. Trainspotting is an amazing film, one of the best directed I've ever seen. Slumdog was, too.

Heather19
04-11-2009, 06:19 AM
I love Danny Boyle. He'd rank up near the top for me as well. 28 Days Later, Trainspotting, and we can't forget Shallow Grave. Great first feature film for a director.

Seymour_Glass
04-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I haven't seen Shallow Grave yet. It's on my Netflix queue.

Now I need to contact him to get him to direct an adaptation of Doom Patrol.

Munchausen
04-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Terry Gilliam
Kevin Smith
Sir Ridley Scott
(Early) James Cameron
John Carpenter
The Coens
John Landis
Martin Scorsese
Tim Burton
Mel Brooks
Akira Kurosawa
Quinten Tarantino
Michael Mann
William Friedkin
Guy Ritchie
Francis Ford Coppola
David Lean
Kenneth Branaugh

Hmph...this is turning into a bloody phonebook. I guarentee that there are others but head and shoulders, Terry and Ridley have always entranced me.

Heather19
04-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I haven't seen Shallow Grave yet. It's on my Netflix queue.

Now I need to contact him to get him to direct an adaptation of Doom Patrol.

Let me know what you think of it. It's a great film.

Seymour_Glass
06-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Francis Ford Coppola is really hit (The Godfather, 1 and 2, Apocalypse Now) or miss (The Outsiders). I want to see Tetro, though.

I never got Jim Cameron's appeal. The first two Terminators were good, as was Aliens, but there's better stuff out there. And all the fuss about Titanic....

jayson
06-22-2009, 06:01 PM
I never got Jim Cameron's appeal. The first two Terminators were good, as was Aliens, but there's better stuff out there. And all the fuss about Titanic....

But Aquaman was good... oh wait, that was only on Entourage. :P

I don't really get the James Cameron thing either.

However, take back what you said about The Outsiders!!!

ola
06-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Maybe my eyes are fuzzy right now, and I didn't see him mentioned...but...David Lynch!! :thumbsup:

Stanley Kubrick is another one who was consistently good. I'm sure he's on here already. He had a knack for great book adaptations, which is unique.

It's tough to pick directors because most good ones make too many movies, and thus a few too many "eh" ones in between the amazing ones. It's so much easier to pick out individual favorite films. It's almost like some directors can only do one or two, ever, and then that's it.

Mattrick
06-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Steven Spielberg
David Cronenberg
Cameron Crowe
James Cameron
David Fincher
Clint Eastwood
Ridley Scott
Wes Anderson
Danny Boyle
Darren Aronofsky

More but can't remember currently.

ola
06-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Christoper Nolan and The Coen Brothers (a*k*a the director with two heads) have quickly sky rocketed to the top of my favorite director(s) list.

I have high hopes for Christopher Nolan! And a few Coen movies are definitely among my favorites (Big Lebowski, No Country For Old Men).

ola
06-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh wow, and I can 't believe I forgot Chris Cunningham. If he ever does a whole movie (and not just a music video) I think I'll explode.

Mattrick
06-22-2009, 07:28 PM
I forgot Paul Thomas Anderson

Seymour_Glass
06-22-2009, 07:47 PM
However, take back what you said about The Outsiders!!!
The Outsiders was a mishmash of uninspired direction and painful nonacting from people who would become good actors. When I saw it, I couldn't believe it was the same guy who did the freaking Godfather.

Seymour_Glass
06-22-2009, 07:51 PM
I forgot Paul Thomas Anderson

I'm getting Magnolia in from Netflix tomorrow. I haven't seen any PT Anderson yet, so I'm excited.

fernandito
06-22-2009, 08:07 PM
PTA has become one of my new favorites after Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood. I need to watch more of his movies.

Heather19
06-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I agree with the Paul Thomas Anderson love.
And David Lynch, did I actually forget to add him to my list!

Edit - Phew, I just re-read thru the whole thread, and Lynch had been mentioned numerous times. I feel so much better now.

But I'm just going to mention Hitchcock again. I can't believe no one has really talked about him in here yet.
And Orson Welles. Another amazing director, easily one of the best ever (in my opinion).

And I'm also going to add Guy Ritchie to my list. But that should be a given for anyone that knows me.

ola
06-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Edit - Phew, I just re-read thru the whole thread, and Lynch had been mentioned numerous times. I feel so much better now.

Whoops, I guess he was. This is what happens when one stares at computer screens a good 10 hours a day. :/

Haven't thought about Hitchcock in a while - now there's another director that demands some re-watching! My parents introduced me to a lot of his movies when I was a kid and they definitely stuck.

Brice
06-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I agree with the Paul Thomas Anderson love.
And David Lynch, did I actually forget to add him to my list!

But I'm just going to mention Hitchcock again. I can't believe no one has really talked about him in here yet.
And Orson Welles. Another amazing director, easily one of the best ever (in my opinion).

And I'm also going to add Guy Ritchie to my list. But that should be a given for anyone that knows me.

To me Hitchcock is so good as to be obvious. I honestly didn't think to mention him, but love even his lesser known films. He was truly brilliant.

Seymour_Glass
06-24-2009, 08:40 PM
I just watched Magnolia. Jesus Christ. Fucking masterpiece. I loved every minute of it, despite my increasing urge to pee. Still, I couldn't bear to hit the pause button. I loved every minute of that.Even..... no, especially(actual spoiler)the frogs.

ola
06-24-2009, 08:51 PM
I loved every minute of it, despite my increasing urge to pee.

Haha, was that because of how vivid that excruciating quiz show scene was?

I hope you like Punch Drunk Love too. I was pleasantly surprised by Adam Sandler, and Emily Watson is great in it too.

Seymour_Glass
06-24-2009, 09:01 PM
No, but that seen spoke to me. When I was a little kid I always had to pee.

Punch Drunk Love tomorrow. I not surprised at all the good press Sandler got. I liked him in Reign Over Me. But those goddamned stupid ones make all the money.....

Brice
06-25-2009, 04:47 AM
I long for the day when Keanu decides to turn to directing. I am sure he'll bring the same level of emotion and expression as he's brought to his acting career.

jayson
06-25-2009, 05:20 AM
I long for the day when Keanu decides to turn to directing. I am sure he'll bring the same level of emotion and expression as he's brought to his acting career.

Ok, seriously Brice, it is way too early in the morning to be laughing as hard as I just did at that. :D

Brice
06-25-2009, 05:25 AM
No it's not. :rofl:

I was thinking of you when I posted that. :D

fernandito
06-25-2009, 05:26 AM
It's never too early in the morning to make a joke at Keanu Reeves' expense! :lol:

jayson
06-25-2009, 05:40 AM
Yeah, I pretty much assume at this stage that all Keanu jokes are for my benefit. :)

It's just difficult to laugh that hard before the caffeine kicks in. I almost fell out of my chair.

pathoftheturtle
06-25-2009, 07:23 AM
...I not surprised at all the good press Sandler got. I liked him in Reign Over Me. But those goddamned stupid ones make all the money.....Well said. :clap:

flaggwalkstheline
06-25-2009, 07:24 AM
My favotie directors are Kubrick amd Dreyer
Kubrick just knew how to get into the viewers head in a way I've never seen in a movie directed by anyone else, he's like a visual hypnotist
And dreyer, well dreyer did more with silent films and early black n white sound films than most directors do now with all their high tech cgi gadgets combined

ICry4Oy
06-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Idi Amin is and will always be my favorite dictator.

Whut? :blush:

Brice
06-25-2009, 08:08 AM
:rofl:

flaggwalkstheline
06-25-2009, 08:42 AM

:clap::nana:

Seymour_Glass
06-25-2009, 10:39 AM

For the Win!!!! :dance:

Heather19
06-25-2009, 01:51 PM
No, but that seen spoke to me. When I was a little kid I always had to pee.

Punch Drunk Love tomorrow. I not surprised at all the good press Sandler got. I liked him in Reign Over Me. But those goddamned stupid ones make all the money.....

Punch Drunk Love is a great film. And while I'm not a fan of Sandler whatsoever, I'll admit that he was really good in that role. He should stick to films like that.

pathoftheturtle
06-26-2009, 08:17 AM
My favorite dictator is still Adenoid Hynkel.:P
"When you're making a movie, you need a director to run things. He's the dinh."
--"Eddie Dean"
To me Hitchcock is so good as to be obvious. I honestly didn't think to mention him, but love even his lesser known films. He was truly brilliant.I agree 100%. If we're seriously trying to list all of the great filmmakers, I guess someone had better post Fellini, too.
One of the best reasons for loving the deceased is that you know just what you're getting. Living directors have an annoying way of shaking up our expectations.

Seymour_Glass
06-26-2009, 12:55 PM
But dead directors never come out with anything new......

Thank God for Sidney Lument.

Seymour_Glass
06-29-2009, 07:13 PM
NOT Fave Directors:

Brett Ratner
Michael Bay

Heather19
06-30-2009, 01:39 PM
:lol: yeah, I'd agree with both of those as well.

Ozymandias
06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Zack Snyder, Edgar Wright, James Cameron, Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino, Clint Eastwood, Ron Howard. I'm sure there's a few more but that's what I got

DoctorDodge
06-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Ok, here's a director that i didn't even know was one of my favourites until recently:

Rob Reiner.

Seriously, anyone who can direct such excellent but very different films like Stand By Me, This is Spinal Tap, The Princess Bride and When Harry Met Sally is nothing short of brilliant! You can see why i didn't realise until now they were all directed by the same bloke, though!

And he directed Misery?!? Now I really do need to see this film!

turtlex
07-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Doc - And don't forget A Few Good Men. You can't handle the truth!!

( He kind of went downhill for me after AFGM. )

I did absolutely love AFGM though. Anyone who can get an actual performance out of Demi Moore is okay with me.

Lt. Weinberg: Why do you like them so much?
Galloway: Because they stand upon a wall and say, "Nothing's going to hurt you tonight, not on my watch."

For visuals alone - I like Kathryn Bigelow. Forget all the James Cameron connection crap. Visually she can hold her own : Near Dark is one of my favorite vampire movies. The night surfing scene in Point Break is great visually, and I thought Strange Days was a good sci-fi flick.

DoctorDodge
07-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Another favourite director of mine, whose work i've loved for YEARS: Edgar Wright, co-writer and director of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. LOVE those movies! But then again, who doesn't? :D You gotta love a man who's so good at being able to get everything right about the films he pays tribute to, whether it's the close up action shots on the most ordinary of things like knifes and forks, or the "trumbone effect" of the zoom in/zoom out camera shot when someone's about to fire a rifle at a bunch of rampaging zombies (and fails)!

Also, of course, the director of Spaced, which is one of the greatest tv shows ever! Seriously, what was McG thinking when he tried to remake it?!?

pathoftheturtle
07-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Ok, here's a director that i didn't even know was one of my favourites until recently:

Rob Reiner.

Seriously, anyone who can direct such excellent but very different films ... is nothing short of brilliant!:D:thumbsup::rock::D

Seymour_Glass
07-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Rob does have a very impressive resume.........
SPINAL TAP!!!:onfire:!!!!

ola
07-11-2009, 03:05 AM
Hayao Miyazaki! The art wall reminded me about this one. :)

I can't think of anything he's done that I don't like. Those movies have inspired me a lot over time.

(How can you not love Totoro?)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/My_Neighbor_Totoro_-_Tonari_no_Totoro_%28Movie_Poster%29.jpg

Heather19
07-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Excellent pick Ola, I love Miyazaki's films.

pathoftheturtle
07-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Former favorites: Want to talk about M. Night Shyamalan? I don't know why it is that directors who start strong sometimes go right down the tubes. I've seen similar career patterns, before, but never one as steadily pronounced as Shyamalan. Every film he has made has been a little worse than the previous one. ><

jayson
07-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Former favorites: Want to talk about M. Night Shyamalan? I don't know why it is that directors who start strong sometimes go right down the tubes. I've seen similar career patterns, before, but never one as steadily pronounced as Shyamalan. Every film he has made has been a little worse than the previous one. ><

personally, i think a lot of it is because the twist ending went out with o henry. i can see where m night, or anyone else, could get away with one, but to make it the focal point of his entire body of work, he quickly establishes himself as a one trick pony and when that trick becomes more and more predictable and the stories around it less and less interesting, what you get, is m night shyamalan.

pathoftheturtle
07-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Maybe. It's not just a matter of perception, though. I mean, being desensitized to twists wouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker, if the stories around them were still interesting, and there was better overall quality to the productions. Of course, that still might be the trouble, indirectly -- a big part of directing is getting everyone on the project to believe in it. It probably is true, anyway, that he should try working in some other styles.

Seymour_Glass
07-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Yeah. I think the main reason Unbreakable worked for me was because it didn't really rely on the twist. And then after that........... he kinda killed his career. But hey, who's going to see the Lat Airbender?

(I'm probably not.)

Melike
07-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Yeah. I think the main reason Unbreakable worked for me was because it didn't really rely on the twist. And then after that........... he kinda killed his career. But hey, who's going to see the Lat Airbender?

(I'm probably not.)

I will see Last Airbender. I just hope Shayamalan doesn't ruin it with his fingerprints.

'The Happening' is the worst of his career.

turtlex
07-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Melike - I don't know, the trailer for Last Airbender looks only okay and honestly, M.Night has always been strongest in the trailer department.

Melike
07-14-2009, 03:06 AM
You're right, Pam. But, I just have to see it. Honestly I am not very optimistic about it either. But I love Avatar, and have to see it...

turtlex
07-14-2009, 03:13 AM
You're right, Pam. But, I just have to see it. Honestly I am not very optimistic about it either. But I love Avatar, and have to see it...

Though I tend to stay away from the theater with MNS films, I will probably go see it, too... just because I love the genre.

Honestly, I can't stand M.Night's directing. At all. So my expectations will be low.

( fun fact - I've been in the same building where M.Night has his production offices ... it's near Philly )

Morgandalf
07-14-2009, 03:33 AM
i love Steven Spielberg because i love schindler's list
i love Nuri Bilge Ceylan because i love üç maymun
i love Tim Burton because i love Tim Burton XD

Melike
07-14-2009, 04:08 AM

Hey! Nuri Bilge Ceylan? :excited: Are you from Turkey?

Morgandalf
07-14-2009, 04:18 AM

evet!(yes XD)

Melike
07-14-2009, 04:36 AM

evet!(yes XD)

:rose: Awesome. Welcome to Palaver. You'll enjoy the site. :)

Morgandalf
07-14-2009, 04:55 AM
thanks everyone!

pathoftheturtle
08-05-2009, 09:04 AM
i love Steven Spielberg because i love schindler's listIt's tempting to dismiss Spielberg because of the commercial nature of much of his work, but it is hard to deny that some real artistry is there. Occasionally.

Ruthful
08-08-2009, 12:18 AM
http://newsreel.org/articles/OusmaneSembene.htm

Seymour_Glass
08-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Let it be noted that Scorsese is now my fucking hero. As if you guys couldn't tell...

Armand St Pierre
08-13-2009, 06:33 PM

personally, i think a lot of it is because the twist ending went out with o henry. i can see where m night, or anyone else, could get away with one, but to make it the focal point of his entire body of work, he quickly establishes himself as a one trick pony and when that trick becomes more and more predictable and the stories around it less and less interesting, what you get, is m night shyamalan.

Hitchcock did the same thing without all the fanboy scrutiny. Personally I've really liked everything Night has done. He has a taste for setting intimacy that most other directors can only drool over. My biggest admiration of Night is his ability to deliver quality based on story alone. I think his rise has less to do with an audience formula than it has to do with a PRODUCER formula. Actor salaries aside, his films can deliver on a skeleton budget....with the possible exception of his newest film The Last Wind Bender (which is a previously existing franchise). LOVED LOVED LOVED Lady in The Water. GRAND Fairy Tale storytelling at it's best.

My pick is Brad Bird. His ability to focus solely on the story is a LOST art......which is why his relationship with Pixar has been so bountiful. I have never seen a Superhero film as rich as The Incredibles. Ratatouille is the PERFECT example of any film delivering on story alone.....and I haven't even mentioned Iron Giant. Perfection in animation that works on every desirable level imaginable.

jayson
08-13-2009, 07:51 PM
My pick is Brad Bird. His ability to focus solely on the story is a LOST art......which is why his relationship with Pixar has been so bountiful. I have never seen a Superhero film as rich as The Incredibles. Ratatouille is the PERFECT example of any film delivering on story alone.....and I haven't even mentioned Iron Giant. Perfection in animation that works on every desirable level imaginable.

:clap:

all excellent films. brad is a master of storytelling.

also, it can never be overstated how incredibly influential he was on the way the simpsons is shot. a handful of the early season directors made a huge impact on the way the show looks. the early seasons had such a cinematic look to them and brad's episodes are among the finest.

Seymour_Glass
08-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Pixar has been making some really quality stuff.

And, i forget if i mentioned him before and i'm too lazy to look back, but Paul Thomas Anderson. Amazing stuff.

And, I just finished reading the book Making Movies by Sidney Lument, who's been quietly making some classics since Twelve Angry Men. Dog Day Afternoon is amazing.

fernandito
10-15-2009, 11:50 AM
A Q&A session with Terry Gilliam :

http://movies.ign.com/articles/103/1034919p1.html

Seymour_Glass
11-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Two additions to my list:

Spike Jonze and David O. Russell.

fernandito
11-11-2009, 08:31 AM
I've recently begun to watch a lot of David Cronenberg films ... I'm looking him up on IMDB and adding all the movies of his that I have yet to see on my Netflix queue.

Heather19
11-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Two additions to my list:

Spike Jonze and David O. Russell.

I love Spike Jonze. Being John Malkovich is one of my favorite films. And that reminds me, I really have to go see Where the Wild Things Are before it leaves theaters.

I've recently begun to watch a lot of David Cronenberg films ... I'm looking him up on IMDB and adding all the movies of his that I have yet to see on my Netflix queue.

Have you seen eXistenZ yet? or A History of Violence?

fernandito
11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I really have to go see Where the Wild Things Are before it leaves theaters.

Yes! Yes you do.

Have you seen eXistenZ yet? or A History of Violence?

These are the Cronenberg films that I have under my belt : A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, The Fly, Scanners, and Videodrome. I do have eXistenZ on my list, but I think Naked Lunch is the next DC film on my queue :)

Heather19
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Naked Lunch is great. Let me know what you think of it.
How was Videodrome? I just added it to my queue after watching the trailer :)

fernandito
11-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Oh man, Videodrome is a mind trip! :lol: I obviously haven't seen eXistenZ yet, but I have read the premise online, and I have to say that if you liked that, then you'll most certainly enjoy Videodrome.

Melike
11-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I am so happy that there will be one more person to appreciate it, except Heather(<3); if I change my combo back to my old eXistenZ theme.

fernandito
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
:D

Seymour_Glass
12-05-2009, 10:02 AM
PTA

stone, rose, unfound door
12-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Ken Loach because his films ring so true.
Tarantino for the reasons mentioned above :)

pinkymcfatfat
12-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Terry Gilliam for his ability to film 'impossible' movies. 'Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas' completely impressed me.

fernandito
12-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Terry Gilliam for his ability to film 'impossible' movies. 'Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas' completely impressed me.

Have you seen Brazil ? :)

Brice
12-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Fear And Loathing was about a billion times better than I would have expected any movie based on that book to be.

pinkymcfatfat
12-18-2009, 05:15 PM
I actually loved 'Brazil'...

I knew from the opening credits featuring Steadman's art that 'Fear And Loathing' would be pretty dead on.

Jean
07-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I am so happy, I found myself a whole new big world, a whole new big favorite director!

Strange, come to think of it... always considered myself quite a connoisseur of cinema... and never watched anything by Polanski. Such a lot of years wasted! But Lord, what heavenly delight now!

I will not stop until I've seen everything by him, including the court-metrages he did before Knife in the Water.

The cinema - I am not talking of Russian now, which is very specific, - always seemed to me to rest on two big pillars, Hitchcock and Kurosawa... and I think I always felt that something was lacking in this picture. There should have been a triad, not a duo... well, there is now.

fernandito
07-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Polanski is a very versatile director, I've never seen anything by him I didn't love. I have yet to see his latest, The Ghost Writer, but I've heard it's excellent as well. Glad you discovered him, Jean.

Heather19
07-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I really need to start watching more of his films. I think the only one's I've seen so far are Rosemary's Baby and The Ninth Gate.

Jean
07-05-2010, 12:01 PM
not even The Pianist??? it should be available, it's triple-Oscared...

The Tenant, The Pianist, Repulsion. Start with any of these. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/awake.gif

Heather19
07-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I haven't :o but I'll add it right away.

The Tenant is at the top of my list right now, and Repulsion isn't far behind. :)

fernandito
07-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I suggest starting with The Pianist Heather, it's one of his most accessible films.

Brice
07-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I always go for the LESS accessible myself. :lol: I have yet to see The Pianist myself.

Jean
07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
do it! do it now! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/awake.gif

frik
07-06-2010, 02:52 AM
My first Polanski film was Rosemary's Baby....which I loved!
Followed by The Fearless Vampire Killers - totally off the wall, but hugely enjoyable. Still one of the best vampire movies ever.
Those two did the trick - and I've never been disappointed by any of his movies.

sk

Brice
07-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Fearless Vampire Killers is awesome! :D

Jean
07-06-2010, 03:24 AM
I have four unwatched Polanski movies waiting for me right now!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/poohbear.gif

Brice
07-06-2010, 03:25 AM
Is that one of them? :unsure:

Jean
07-06-2010, 03:27 AM
No, it will come later!

::rubs paws in anticipation::

Brice
07-06-2010, 03:27 AM
So what are the four then?

Jean
07-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Bitter Moon
Cul-de-sac
What?
China Town

Brice
07-06-2010, 03:35 AM
Damn there are more Polanski movies that I haven't seen than I realized. :(

Jean
07-06-2010, 03:40 AM
isn't that great? like discovering there's more new King to read!

Brice
07-06-2010, 04:16 AM
Yes, it is. :D ...except there's no more King for me to read unless he writes more and/or gives me free reign at The Fogler Library.

turtlex
07-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Jean! You've never seen Chinatown?!?

Make that your first one!

Jean
07-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Jean! You've never seen Chinatown?!?

Make that your first one!

I know, I know! just to think that I've been walking about all proud of myself and telling everybody how much I know about cinema, how well I understand cinema, and what great a connoisseur of cinema I am. Like calling oneself expert in British literature without ever reading a word by Shakespeare...

turtlex
07-06-2010, 04:55 AM
Chinatown is a classic. I mean, whether you like all Polanski or not specifically, I think it's hard to argue against that. It's iconic - at least here in the US.

And you should be proud - with all the hundreds and hundreds of directors/filmmakers out there, there is absolutely no way you could have made yourself familiar with all them.

You're working your way through a long list of talented people. I don't know that anyone can ever be completely versed in cinema... there's just so many excellent films.

:grouphug:

PS - who's this Shakespeare guy?!? :lol:

Jean
07-06-2010, 04:58 AM
oh, just a guy like Hitchcock or Polanski, only in literature http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/b02.gif

turtlex
07-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Oh, really? :orely:

Methinks I might have to look him up ... I mean, I may be mad, north-northwest, but when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. ;)

Just sayin'. :D

Jean
07-06-2010, 05:11 AM
oh, come on, don't waste your time, it's but a tale full of sound and fury

by the way, Polanski's Macbeth is fantastic! it's even better than Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, and quite matches Kurosawa's King Lear (Ran, I mean).

::a very impressed bear::

turtlex
07-06-2010, 05:12 AM
:huglove: Jean :huglove:

Jean
07-06-2010, 05:14 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gif

frik
07-06-2010, 05:50 AM
Another Polanski everyone should have seen: The Tenant!

http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/76/Locataire.jpg

Weird, psychological thriller, with a great Shelley Winters....and a very creepy ending..

sk

fernandito
07-06-2010, 06:13 AM
The Tenant is one of the few Polanski films I have yet to see. I'll need to correct that immediately. :)

Brice
07-06-2010, 01:30 PM
The Tenant is excellent. :)

frik
07-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I recently ordered a Polanski film I hadn't seen yet: Oliver.
Although it's a gorgeous looking film and the acting is excellent, it's the most mainstream Polanski ever. He doesn't really put his stamp on it.
If I wouldn't have known, I would never have guessed this was a Polanski movie.

sk

acdckingfan
07-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Polanski is one of the greats!

Heather19
07-10-2010, 07:42 AM
I watched The Tenant last night. :D
It's such a great psychological thriller. And the images that Polanski creates were insane. He definitely knows how to set up a great shot.

Jean
07-10-2010, 08:18 AM
at last! at last!!!!! I've been plotting and scheming last three days how to get you a copy... have already procured an English-language version (mine is French) and installed a file-splitter... was just going to PM you!

I myself have finished re-watching it (third time around) only four or five hours ago.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Heather19
07-10-2010, 08:36 AM
:huglove: Yes, I think it's one that I need to go back and rewatch. I'm still mesmerized by a lot of the scenes. The next one coming will be Repulsion.

Jean
07-10-2010, 08:44 AM
did you see Cul-de-Sac? it's astonishing

I've just watched his court-metrages, made before Knife in the Water (I hope you saw that one?), they are wonderful too, especially Two Men and a Wardrobe and Le Gros et le Maigre.

Heather19
07-10-2010, 09:02 AM
No, I haven't! The only other one's I've seen our Rosemary's Baby and The Ninth Gate. I might watch Knife in the Water tonight though. I'll let you know first thing I see it. And netflix doesn't have Cul-de-sac :(

Jean
07-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I currently don't, either. I will try to find it for you, and then we'll try this file-splitter.

Watch The Pianist!!! it must be available.

Heather19
07-10-2010, 09:15 AM
It is! They even have it up on their instant viewing. I'll try to get to it soon :)

Empath of the White
07-10-2010, 08:38 PM
For me, its Tim Burton. I have fond memories of watching Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice and both of his Batman movies back in my younger--pre-K and Kindergarten--years. I think what I enjoy most about his movies are either the characters, especially his take on Penguin and Catwoman. Secondly, the visuals in his movies are usually excellent, such as the Netherworld in Beetlejuice. To date the only Burton movie I absolutely don't care for is his take on Planet of the Apes.

I'm not sure if having seen only 3 movies makes me a fan of a director, but the three Guilermo Del Toro movies I have seen--Hellboy 1, 2, and Pan's Labyrinth--have become some of my favorites. Like Burton, its Del Toro's visual style I really enjoy. The creatures of Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy 2 are some of the most interesting ones I have ever seen.

Sam
07-11-2010, 10:37 AM
What I find interesting about this discussion is how there are so many directors that are coinsidered great and yet I have not enjoyed their films. By that I mean I have seen their films and not liked them. I can see them and appreciate how their filming techniques have impacted the film world, and I can agree they are great filmmakers, but so few of them are great storytellers IMHO. For example, this is a list of the 25 most influencial directors of all time according to www.filmsite.org.

1. Alfred Hitchcock
2. D.W. Griffith
3. Orson Welles
4. Jean-Luc Godard
5. John Ford
6. Stanley Kubrick
7. Sergei Eisenstein
8. Charlie Chaplin
9. Federico Fellini
10. Steven Spielberg
11. Martin Scorsese
12. Akira Kurosawa
13. Ingmar Bergman
14. John Cassavetes
15. Billy Wilder
16. Jean Renoir
17. Francis Ford Coppola
18. Howard Hawks
19. Francois Truffaut
20. Buster Keaton
21. Fritz Lang
22. John Huston
23. Woody Allen
24. Luis Bunuel
25. Ernst Lubitsch

Of these 25, I haven't seen the films of nine of them (These names are in italics. This means I haven't seen three or more of their films). Of the remaining 16, I don't enjoy the films of five of them (These are in bold. This means that I've seen three or more films by that director and haven't enjoyed the majority of their work that I've seen). That's almost one third of the directors that I have experienced out of the 25 most influential, according to this website, directors. I don't feel this makes me a poor judge on quality films, and I don't think it makes others poor judges on quality. I just find it interesting how so many find Alfred Hitchcock such a wonderful director, and I've never enjoyed any of his films (and I've TRIED to enjoy them, really I have). The same goes for Kubrick, Scorsese, and Bergman. I wanted to like their films, but I just don't. They are slow, plodding, overblown, heavy handed, and in most cases, in desperate need of editing. BUT, that's just my opinion.

Heather19
07-11-2010, 10:48 AM
You don't like any of Hitchcock's films Sam! I think you might be the first person I've met that has said that. What one's have you seen? Maybe I could recommend a few of his less popular ones for you to try.

Sam
07-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Hitchcock films I've seen:
Psycho (not as suspenseful as I was hoping, but it could have been because the ending had been spoiled for me)
The Birds (boring)
Vertigo (long and drawn out, did not like)
Spellbound
Notorius
North By Northwest

I HAVE to say that I was wrong, there is ONE Hitchcock film I liked, Rear Window. I had forgotten he directed it.

Jean
07-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Of your list - excepting Rear Window which you liked - I personally love only Spellbound, and Hitchcock is one of my five favorite directors of all times.

Try these:

The Lady Vanishes
39 Steps
Trouble with Harry
Strangers on a Train
Rebecca
Lifeboat
Suspicion

Heather19
07-11-2010, 12:21 PM
I HAVE to say that I was wrong, there is ONE Hitchcock film I liked, Rear Window. I had forgotten he directed it.

:couple: And that was going to be the first I was going to recommend. I can't imagine anyone not loving that film. What about Rebecca, Strangers on a Train, Lifeboat, or Shadow of a Doubt. I think you might enjoy those.

Jean
07-11-2010, 12:23 PM
... and now look at the post right above yours, posted simultaneously...

...ta-da!...

Brice
07-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I am useless here. I haven't met a Hitchcock film I didn't love.

Heather19
07-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Great minds think alike :D
And I completely agree. Aside from Rear Window, his most popular films aren't my favorites either. I really enjoyed Psycho and The Birds, but he has far better films out there that really showcase him as a director.

Sam
07-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I didn't mention Lifeboat but I have seen it as well and just didn't care for it, I don't remember why. As for the others, I always felt I had sampled enough of his work that I didn't want to waster time with the rest. It's kinda like going to a restaurant several times and never liking the food. You haven't tried everything on the menu, but you've had enough that you don't want to try anymore.

Sam
07-11-2010, 02:39 PM
I like movies that make you forget you're watching a movie. The story must flow throughout and Hitchcock's often stall somewhere. One of the things I enjoy so much about Kurosawa's work is that it rarely feels like you're watching a movie. The story drives the film rather than it being a film about characters, which is what a lot of Hitchcock's films seem to be. Character is a very important part of the film too, don;t get me wrong, but the story HAS to be paramount for the film to be enjoyable for me.

turtlex
07-12-2010, 02:49 AM
I didn't mention Lifeboat but I have seen it as well and just didn't care for it, I don't remember why. As for the others, I always felt I had sampled enough of his work that I didn't want to waster time with the rest. It's kinda like going to a restaurant several times and never liking the food. You haven't tried everything on the menu, but you've had enough that you don't want to try anymore.

Oh! :( I was just going to suggest Lifeboat. ( Heather and Jean :huglove: ) It's one of my favorites!!!!

Dude... can I ask what you didn't like about some of the other Hitchcock films you named? North by Northwest specifically, I think it's brilliant.

And ... You really need to see if you can find some Cassavetes... I strongly suggest A Woman Under The Influence and Gloria. Both star John's wife ( and muse ) Gena Rowlands.

And I'm sorry, like him or not ... Woody Allen's Annie Hall is just amazing. I don't like all of Woody Allen's stuff... but both Manhattan and Annie Hall are wonderful. At least, to me.

Are you sure you haven't seen any Howard Hawks? ... Gentlemen Prefer Blondes ... The Big Sleep ... Bringing Up Baby ... Sergeant York ...

fernandito
07-12-2010, 05:00 AM
I think Hitchcock is a brilliant director, but some of his films seem to receive an ungodly amount of praise simply because .... well, it's Hitchcock.

Take for instance - North by Northwest. It's nothing new or unique, an identity crisis movie that plays it safe, very by the numbers, yet it's often viewed as this brilliant piece of film making. Yes, the crop duster scene is amazing, but the rest of the movie is very unremarkable, and don't even get me started on the "ending."

That brings me to my next point - Hitchcock has some of the worst endings I have ever seen. Vertigo , anyone ?!

alinda
07-12-2010, 05:09 AM
I feel useless in this thread. But I have enjoyed many Hitchcock films in my lifetime.
I think his way of looking at things was dark & strange.:thumbsup:

turtlex
07-12-2010, 05:14 AM
I think Hitchcock is a brilliant director, but some of his films seem to receive an ungodly amount of praise simply because .... well, it's Hitchcock.

Take for instance - North by Northwest. It's nothing new or unique, an identity crisis movie that plays it safe, very by the numbers, yet it's often viewed as this brilliant piece of film making. Yes, the crop duster scene is amazing, but the rest of the movie is very unremarkable, and don't even get me started on the "ending."

That brings me to my next point - Hitchcock has some of the worst endings I have ever seen. Vertigo , anyone ?!

The thing is, Feev... in a lot of places, Hitchcock did these things first - so they were new and unique when he did them.

Jean
07-12-2010, 06:00 AM
oh, absolutely

nevertheless, I understand how Hitchcock can disappoint someone for whom it's the story that matters

Sam
07-12-2010, 08:27 AM
And for me it really is about the story if I'm going to enjoy the movie. I can and have watched many films just to observe the acting (Leaving Las Vegas anyone?), the cinematography (2001), or some other aspect of the film making process. These days though, I'm more interested in just enjoying a good movie than watching for that great acting job in an otherwise mediocre film.

Woofer
07-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Repulsion also stars the always beautiful Catherine Deneuve, so it's a win-win-win.

Woofer
07-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes.