PDA

View Full Version : In Honor of Longtime member John Hanic

Randall Flagg
12-10-2020, 12:07 PM
Longtime member John Hanic passed away yesterday. In his honor, the color scheme for the site will be black for the next few days.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0MuMDXXzzfM/VdtgvMZrMfI/AAAAAAAACtI/wnFArlWx8Do/s1600/us-hm.gif

wizardsrainbow
12-10-2020, 12:17 PM
JOHN-

I've "known" you for like 20 years and got to meet you for the first time ever in September when I packed up your collection. Rest in Peace my collector friend. You will be missed more than you know.

David

stroppygoblin
12-10-2020, 12:18 PM
Such sad news. A huge loss to this community.
Thoughts are with his family. Rest in Peace John you will be missed.

Dolan
12-10-2020, 12:19 PM
Wow - like David, I've been apart of this community for going on 20 years. What a gentleman and a wealth of knowledge. I am so honored to have been apart of some small part of this world with someone so impactful. Much love to him, his family, and to us who've known John like a great uncle.

Randall, excellent tribute. Thank you.

Patrick
12-10-2020, 12:24 PM
In the 16+ years I’ve known John, he was unfailingly a good, kind man. Always welcoming and willing to share his extensive knowledge with anyone who took an interest. Sending love to his family, friends, and the wide circle of us who knew him from the collecting world. We’ll miss you, John.

Ari_Racing
12-10-2020, 12:26 PM
This is a really sad news. :( I've known him for almost 20 years as well and was the first person I interviewed for a magazine. A true gentleman, I'll miss him and I won't forget him.

Rest in peace, John.

zelig
12-10-2020, 12:28 PM
So sad to hear this. John was a pillar of this community and will be missed. RIP John. You were a true gentleman and I had great respect for you. Condolences to the family.

Randall Flagg
12-10-2020, 12:36 PM
Words can barely convey my deep sense of personal loss, as well as community loss. Those of us who knew John since he joined the boards in 2007, knew a man that was always helpful to those seeking his guidance and advice on everything related to Stephen King proofs, arcs, manuscripts, you name it-John likely owned it or had knowledge of it. As mentioned, John also was knowledgeable about other authors too.

Although I never met John, my perception of him was of a kind, gentle, giant (certainly in heart) Ohioan. John never had a sharp word or barb to say to someone else. He avoided conflict-not because he couldn't win an argument, but because he felt there was little to gain on the forum by battling with others. In other words-He was a true gentleman.

My heart goes out to all of his family and friends (including you who are reading this post).

John,

May your memory live a very long time. Bless you.

peripheral
12-10-2020, 12:42 PM
This is very sad news. He was a great contributor here on the boards and he and I shared some messages over the years. He was always very helpful, friendly and generous with his time. Vale, John.

MikeDuke
12-10-2020, 12:49 PM
Awe man. That is so sad. He was always so nice. He was the first person to post in my thread. I don't know what else to say except that he will missed very much. And I was just going to email him today :cry:.

Garrell
12-10-2020, 12:50 PM
I have been here for 9 years and he has always been part of DT to me. This saddens my heart and prayers go out to him and his family.

Merlin1958
12-10-2020, 12:53 PM
Rest in peace, John. You'll be missed.

firemonkey66
12-10-2020, 12:58 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of John's passing. He was an awesome, kindhearted guy and a TDT keystone, he will be sorely missed.

webstar1000
12-10-2020, 12:58 PM
John was such a nice man... so sad. SO SO sad:(

mae
12-10-2020, 01:00 PM
RIP.

As a longtime member who's not a collector as many of you here I didn't know John that well but that doesn't matter. This is a tremendous loss for the community and more importantly his family.

This is one evil year.

shaq
12-10-2020, 01:02 PM
The messages over the last few months regarding how well people will care for your books is a great testimony of the impact and respect you have here.

Feel so sad, as no doubt so many all over the world are.

Rest In Piece John.

Johnny007
12-10-2020, 01:12 PM
John,

You welcomed me with kindness when I first began participating on Calvin's Corner. You bestowed knowledge to me, and many others, when questions arose. You graced us with your anecdotal intelligence to quench our collective Stephen King curiosity. You have been a gentleman and always above the fray. I remember you telling me that the Steelers were your favorite football team and I replied that they were my father's 2nd favorite football team (after the Packers). Perhaps you'll meet and have a chat about football. I admired you greatly and, even though we never met face-to-face, I will miss you immensely.

My condolences to your wife and the extended Hanic family. Rest in Peace, John.

John

George at C-Springs
12-10-2020, 01:29 PM
John was the very first person that I corresponded with 11 or so years ago when I discovered Stephen King proofs and then TDT.org. He was THE MAN and never hesitated to help out this novice collector with all the dumb questions (or perhaps it was this dumb collector with all the novice questions). It is no exaggeration to say that my collection is what it is and that I'm here today because of John.

A couple of months back he and I were talking about his health. Even though he was bed-ridden and in a nursing home he was still in pretty good spirits; "I'm okay. The weather changes sometimes get to me though." he said. He was concerned that he couldn't keep up on TDT as much, and was very concerned about his collection and how his wife and daughter would handle it when the time came.

I offered to assist with upkeep of his Proofs/ARCs thread in case he couldn't do it (he said yes) and I also recommended getting ahold of David at Betts for the collection. I'm sure I'm not the only one who did that, it was obviously the way to go.

The last time I heard from him was October 19th. I dropped him a note two weeks ago but didn't hear anything back, so I figured something was up. Was going to follow up with him tonight, see how he felt, mention what I picked up from Round 2 of his sale.

Instead now I have to say goodbye to my proofs mentor and friend, and wish for him that the clearing at the end of the path be piled high with his collection.

Bev Vincent
12-10-2020, 01:43 PM
Man -- I'm devastated to hear that. I never met John in person, but I have corresponded with him for years and years. A terrible loss.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-10-2020, 01:45 PM
My last PM to John was on October 28. He always gave me good advice, he was always very pleasant and easygoing.
I am extremely saddened to hear of his passing.
Rest in peace, John.

thecollector
12-10-2020, 01:46 PM
What a crushing loss to the entire community. As many have already said, John was a great man who was always willing to help out a ton of folks here, myself included. He will be sorely missed.

fernandito
12-10-2020, 01:49 PM
A long standing, valued member of this community from Day 1. He will be missed.

Alec
12-10-2020, 02:53 PM
John, everyone looked up to you, but you never looked down on anyone.
A true Gentleman.

DoctorZaius
12-10-2020, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the advice over the years John. We'll miss you.

MikeDuke
12-10-2020, 03:26 PM
This is going to be hard to get over. Even though we never met, he was a big time forum friend for me. I would PM him and he would always answer.
I am just heartbroken now for the loss to this forum and of course his family. I remember when he told me things weren't going well and he was
moving to a nursing home and that he had to sell his collection. I felt bad then. I feel so bad now. I really liked our conversations.
He will be missed. I hope we can make his collection thread (if he had one) and the stuff he did in the proof sections sticky's. so they
will always be there. Man this sucks.

Tommy
12-10-2020, 03:45 PM
RIP

John was always willing to answer any question I had about SK proofs. A nice man and a fountain of knowledge is lost to us. I commend his service to this country and will miss him. Goodbye John and thank you, Sir.

willie3
12-10-2020, 04:25 PM
Bought several items from John over the years, as Jerome stated above, he was

A True Gentleman

John will live on through us all as friends and collectors.
I hope we can serve his memory well.

CyberGhostface
12-10-2020, 04:28 PM
Rest in peace, John.

darkseer
12-10-2020, 04:33 PM
Wishing John's family my condolences.

dnemec
12-10-2020, 04:48 PM
This makes my heart ache. RIP John.

cit74
12-10-2020, 04:56 PM
I only knew John from the boards and all of the wonderful stories members have shared. A tough loss. Rest In Peace and I wish his family the best.

namelessnpoor
12-10-2020, 05:29 PM
Known John on here for years. Wonderful and kind man who never shyed away from helping any of us.
RIP in John.

tippy4
12-10-2020, 05:41 PM
John.....I will miss you.

You were always one of the good guys....and I am so very sad to hear we have lost you.

becca69
12-10-2020, 06:56 PM
So very sorry to hear this. Rest In Peace John.

NeedfulKings
12-10-2020, 07:41 PM
Very sad news. He was a legendary collector - and his name will always be synonymous with SK proofs.

St. Troy
12-10-2020, 08:08 PM
WTF. Sad day.

George at C-Springs
12-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by MikeDuke

He will be missed. I hope we can make his collection thread (if he had one) and the stuff he did in the proof sections sticky's. so they will always be there. Man this sucks.

I worked with John to assist with and eventually assume the reigns on his Stephen King Proofs thread; I'm honored to keep it going in his memory.

Scoogs
12-10-2020, 08:17 PM
Over 17 years across the .net, .com and .org iterations of this community John was a constant presence and always a voice of kindness and knowledge to any that asked.

Despite never meeting him, he always felt like a friend or maybe that older uncle you didn't see often enough(with all the good King stuff, of course).

Farewell John, may you Rest In Peace.

sharki69
12-10-2020, 08:39 PM
Very sad day. A true gentleman. RIP buddy

Stockerlone
12-11-2020, 12:34 AM
Sad news... RIP John

Ivo
12-11-2020, 02:09 AM
Rest In Peace John, you will be missed.

herbertwest
12-11-2020, 03:39 AM
I am very sad to hear John's passing.
I didn't know him very well, but we talked a bit over the years. He was very knowledgeable and had a very impressive collection.
But beyond his collection, he was a very nice person.

Rest in peace John.

vincent
12-11-2020, 05:00 AM
I've only been on this forum for about three years but I quickly found and became very fond of John, and I'm deeply struck by his passing. He was so generous with his knowledge of proofs, manuscripts, publication dates, print runs. If you messaged him, you always got a friendly reply. As you all know these past three years were very difficult for him, and he called this forum "a lifesaver". It's beautiful to see how we're honoring him here now. My condolences to his wife and daughter, and his whole family.

Rest in peace, John.

mattgreenbean
12-11-2020, 06:08 AM
My condolences to all his family and friends. :grouphug:
It was a pleasure to read his comments on the collecting world over the years. His memory will continue on in the halls of TDT for years to come.

The Library Policeman
12-11-2020, 07:02 AM
John.....I will miss you.

You were always one of the good guys....and I am so very sad to hear we have lost you.

Exactly what Rick said here. RIP John. A good, kind man with time for everyone. We’ll miss you my friend.

Br!an
12-11-2020, 07:19 AM
A wealth of knowledge. You will be missed, John.

Heather19
12-11-2020, 09:07 AM
Such sad news. My heart goes out to his family, friends, and members of this community. Rest in peace John.

Lurker
12-11-2020, 11:45 AM
Thanks John. RIP.

gsvec
12-11-2020, 03:50 PM
I have tears forming in my eyes as I type this. RIP, John. As many others have said, he was one of the most kind hearted people I've ever had the pleasure of "meeting" and I'll miss him a lot. I knew he wasn't well, but I'm still in shock that he's gone.

frik
12-11-2020, 11:09 PM
Never met John personally, but from what was obvious here, he was a true gentleman, always there to help out.
Condolences to his loved ones.

sk

Beverly Marsh
12-12-2020, 08:06 AM
So very sorry to hear of this loss. John was one of the first people to welcome me to this site and an extremely good man. We talked a few times behind the scenes and what a joy it was to absorb his knowledge. May he be at peace now. Thanks for everything John.

Ben Eads
12-12-2020, 09:45 AM
Very sorry to hear the news. Sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Hunchback Jack
12-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Apart from buying a few things from him over the years, I didn’t really know John. But he seemed kind, honest and generous with his knowledge. My condolences to his family, and his friends here who knew him and will miss him.

amd013
12-12-2020, 07:44 PM
Its rare for me to feel a sense of loss for anyone I never met or spoke too. But John is a rare exception. Seeing him on stephenkingcollector forums gave me courage to join this site.

Although I never met John, my perception of him was of a kind, gentle, giant (certainly in heart) Ohioan. John never had a sharp word or barb to say to someone else. He avoided conflict-not because he couldn't win an argument, but because he felt there was little to gain on the forum by battling with others. In other words-He was a true gentleman.

To add to the above comment, not only did I never see John make a hostile or negative comment, but I never saw anyone direct a negative comment his way, which says a lot about how much he was respected.

We will miss you John, RIP.

Mike

Brian861
12-13-2020, 12:24 PM
Returned from vacation to this very sad news :cry: I last spoke with John on November 11 via PM asking him for some info to add to the thread honoring this collection. John advised he wasn't feeling well and would get back with me. Sadly, that day never came and we all lost a great, maybe the best, member of this community. John was the one would brought me to TDT via the CD forums. R.I.P, my friend. May the memory of you never be forgotten here in our small, little corner of world.

CRinVA
12-14-2020, 06:47 AM
John and I corresponded privately over the years. He was one of my true online friends and will be sorely missed.

John, you may be gone but never forgotten. You will always be in my heart and memories. RIP my friend.

stroppygoblin
12-16-2020, 02:32 AM
Today would have been John's 76th Birthday. :(

MikeDuke
12-16-2020, 06:42 AM
Awe man. This SUCKS.

CRinVA
12-16-2020, 06:58 AM

Saw that on FB this morning. Sad news at best! :-(

Dolan
12-16-2020, 07:44 AM

Ugh. Same. :(

Patrick
12-16-2020, 10:32 AM

Ugh. Same. :(
Same. Sending peace and love to his family.

Brian861
12-16-2020, 10:57 AM

:cry:

Ari_Racing
12-16-2020, 11:38 AM
Remembering him today. Sending his family love. :(

mikeyw
12-17-2020, 04:34 PM
Truly saddened to learn of this. A gentleman and someone who always seemed to have time and a positive word for others. Ar dheist Dé go raibh a anam dílis