PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Watch-a-thon 2020: Holiday & Horror

Ricky
11-29-2020, 01:15 PM
Tis the season for watching Christmas movies and stuffing our faces with cookies! What's everyone planning on watching this year? Christmas classics? Holiday horror? And, most importantly, IS Die Hard a Christmas movie?

:sharepopcorn:

ICry4Oy
11-29-2020, 01:29 PM
Die Hard is ABSOLUTELY a Christmas movie.

For us also are "The Ref", "The Long Kiss Goodnight", "Christmas Vacation" and "Bad Santa".

Merlin1958
11-29-2020, 09:01 PM
Tis the season for watching Christmas movies and stuffing our faces with cookies! What's everyone planning on watching this year? Christmas classics? Holiday horror? And, most importantly, IS Die Hard a Christmas movie?

Cookies? Did someone say Christmas cookies? Where, when, how much? :excited::excited::excited:

MikeDuke
11-30-2020, 06:18 AM
Die hard is a Christmas movie. So is the first Lethal Weapon movie

DoctorDodge
11-30-2020, 03:39 PM
James McAvoy movie Filth is always an essential Christmas watch. One of the most heartbreaking (not to mention incredibly tasteless) films I've seen set during the season. Black Christmas is another essential, too.

Mattrick
12-01-2020, 02:06 AM
Im planning on watching Gremlins for the first time ever. I'm also upgrading my sole yearly Christmas viewing of Love Actually to Blu Ray. I'd really like to finally watch Krampus or Black Christmas too.

Heather19
12-01-2020, 12:21 PM
You've never seen Gremlins?! What are you waiting for.

Ricky
12-01-2020, 03:46 PM
I've never seen Gremlins either, Matt! It's on my list every year but I never manage to make it. I vow this to be the year! :lol:

Also, Rudolph is on CBS tonight at 8 ET. :)

Heather19
12-03-2020, 09:28 AM
Ok, this is just crazy. You both need to rectify this situation immediately.

And I missed Rudolph, hopefully they'll show it again. I already have a reminder set for when PBS is airing Charlie Brown Christmas because I can't miss that one. I'm still annoyed at Apple for taking it off tv.

RUBE
12-03-2020, 11:32 AM
I loved Gremlins when I was a kid. I am pretty sure I even had the lunch box. Thinking about it now, I probably was too young to have watched it. I seriously doubt my wife would let me watch it with my 10-year old. What do y'all think the minimum age for it is? They definitely better not believe in Santa anymore simply because of the story the female lead tells about why she hates Christmas.

Ricky
12-03-2020, 03:46 PM
I just noticed that I put 2019 in the title when I created the thread. I guess my subconscious took over. I must really want to get out of 2020. :lol:

And I missed Rudolph, hopefully they'll show it again. I already have a reminder set for when PBS is airing Charlie Brown Christmas because I can't miss that one. I'm still annoyed at Apple for taking it off tv.

Thanks for the reminder about Charlie Brown. I just set my DVR as well. As I was doing it, I saw that CBS is airing Rudolph again that same night (12/13) at 8pm. So you're in luck! :)

And I think I'm gonna watch Christmas Chronicles 2 this weekend.

Mattrick
12-03-2020, 10:58 PM

It meant to say in forever. I was half asleep when I wrote that lol

Mattrick
12-03-2020, 11:01 PM
I loved Gremlins when I was a kid. I am pretty sure I even had the lunch box. Thinking about it now, I probably was too young to have watched it. I seriously doubt my wife would let me watch it with my 10-year old. What do y'all think the minimum age for it is? They definitely better not believe in Santa anymore simply because of the story the female lead tells about why she hates Christmas.

The lunchbox with Gizmo driving the toy convertible? I had it.
https://images.app.goo.gl/NQJEFEAf8mCBHgTX8

Tommy
12-03-2020, 11:01 PM
Black Christmas and Inside

Heather19
12-04-2020, 01:47 PM

It meant to say in forever. I was half asleep when I wrote that lol

Few, I was a bit worried there. I was shocked that you wouldn't have ever seen it. It's been forever since I last watched it. I'm way overdue for another viewing.

Heather19
12-04-2020, 01:48 PM
I just noticed that I put 2019 in the title when I created the thread. I guess my subconscious took over. I must really want to get out of 2020. :lol:

Thanks for the reminder about Charlie Brown. I just set my DVR as well. As I was doing it, I saw that CBS is airing Rudolph again that same night (12/13) at 8pm. So you're in luck! :)

And I think I'm gonna watch Christmas Chronicles 2 this weekend.

Excellent! I'll set a reminder so that I don't forget. I love all of those old Christmas specials.

And I hadn't even realized that you put 2019 in the title either :lol:

Tommy
12-04-2020, 06:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip72BBccQDY

RUBE
12-04-2020, 06:33 PM

I think it was that one but I honestly can't remember. It was over 30 years ago and my memory sucks.

Heather19
12-05-2020, 06:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip72BBccQDY

Thanks Tommy!

Mattrick
12-05-2020, 12:06 PM

I think it was that one but I honestly can't remember. It was over 30 years ago and my memory sucks.

I still have mine! Found it today packing.

St. Troy
12-08-2020, 06:42 AM
Recently had the annual view of Jim Carrey's Grinch. It's funny how, with something you watch so often, you can forget something that's there or imagine something that isn't:

- For some reason I had grown completely certain, over the years, that William H. Macy played Cindy Lou's father, but it's not him...
- I'm always surprised that the final feast is in the Grinch's lair
- I'm usually taken by surprise by at least some of the food-oriented clothing characters wear

I never forget the candy cane girls...

Ricky
12-08-2020, 08:38 AM
I love when Cindy Lou's family has the eggnog hats. :lol:

Iwritecode
12-08-2020, 09:32 AM
And, most importantly, IS Die Hard a Christmas movie?

I argue this every single year but there is a difference between a "Christmas movie" and a movie that happens to take place around Christmas.

Good examples of the latter are: Die Hard, Shazam, Gremlins, The Family Man, Trading Places, Batman Returns. These are *not* Christmas movies. They just happen to take place on or around Christmas. The holiday is literally just happening in the background as the movie takes place.

ACTUAL Christmas movies are the ones that deal directly with the holiday itself. The entire Santa Clause trilogy, Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Elf, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Ernest Saves Christmas, Christmas With the Kranks, 4 Christmases. They are all about either "saving" Christmas from being ruined somehow or they are about the characters dealing with the holiday in some way.

You will not change my mind about this either. :nope:

RUBE
12-08-2020, 08:03 PM
Gremlins was on TV last night. I stayed up later than I should have to watch it.

Ricky
12-27-2020, 02:19 PM
Heather, I watched Gremlins yesterday! :D

Tommy
12-27-2020, 09:18 PM

Me too! I know people criticize the rule about feeding after midnight for not making much sense but when Stripe escapes the house after the other 4 original gremlins are killed, he runs off into the snow. Wouldn't the moisture from the snow get him wet and make him start multiplying immediately?

Ricky
12-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Oh man, I didn't even think of that. Maybe it's the temperature of the water that matters? :lol:

Heather19
12-28-2020, 12:10 PM

And...?!?!

Hope you enjoyed it! :D

Ricky
12-28-2020, 03:11 PM
I did enjoy it! I liked the first half better than the second half, though.

RUBE
12-28-2020, 05:59 PM

Me too! I know people criticize the rule about feeding after midnight for not making much sense but when Stripe escapes the house after the other 4 original gremlins are killed, he runs off into the snow. Wouldn't the moisture from the snow get him wet and make him start multiplying immediately?

Really, none of the rules make sense. For example, we see Stripe spit on Gizmo but he doesn't multiply. Is there not water in their spit? You could go on and on. Ultimately, you just have to go with it and then the movie is fun.