PDA

View Full Version : New novel: Gwendy's Final Task by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar (February 15, 2022)

Bev Vincent
10-16-2020, 02:18 PM
Some exciting news for all you faithful GWENDY readers: @StephenKing and @RichardChizmar are hard at work on the third volume. No publication details as of yet, but it will be a full-length novel.

https://twitter.com/RichardChizmar/status/1317219334234771457

Merlin1958
10-16-2020, 05:04 PM
Rather see a DT or a Abra/Danny 3rd entry for The Shining myself.

ICry4Oy
10-16-2020, 06:06 PM
Guess some day I'll have to read the 1st Gwendy book. :shrug:

Garrell
10-16-2020, 07:43 PM
Yeah(fake excitement). Wonder if I will see my CD Limited of the 2nd book before the release of the 3rd story? Lisey’s Story Part 2 sounds more exciting.

Curly
10-16-2020, 10:53 PM
Guess some day I'll have to read the 1st Gwendy book. :shrug:

Don't rush. You can tell it's not a King book.

frik
10-17-2020, 01:11 AM
I really liked the first Gwendy. Thought King and Richard Chizmar did a wonderful job. Always great to be back in Castle Rock and Flagg was a welcome surprise...
Definitely looking forwards to Gwendy III.

sk

Merlin1958
10-17-2020, 03:56 AM
Yeah(fake excitement). Wonder if I will see my CD Limited of the 2nd book before the release of the 3rd story? Lisey’s Story Part 2 sounds more exciting.

Oh Snap!!!! That was cold, man! Just cold!!! lol lol

kingfan2323
10-17-2020, 06:52 AM
I really liked the first Gwendy. Thought King and Richard Chizmar did a wonderful job. Always great to be back in Castle Rock and Flagg was a welcome surprise...
Definitely looking forwards to Gwendy III.

skI enjoyed it as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mae
02-11-2021, 12:01 PM
Since Billy Summers is coming out unusually in August, could a third 2021 King book in November be this?

By the way, this reminds me I should get the second book, just ordered it. What was the "exclusive bonus" from King in the limited edition?

Randall Flagg
02-11-2021, 02:29 PM
Alternative cover art in book IIRC.

frik
02-11-2021, 10:47 PM
Since Billy Summers is coming out unusually in August, could a third 2021 King book in November be this?

Pretty sure I've read 2022....

sk

Ari_Racing
02-18-2021, 06:31 AM
Yeah, I think it was Brian Freeman who mentioned it won't be ready this year but I might be wrong.

Garrell
02-18-2021, 06:46 AM
Maybe we will get the 2nd book limited version before the 3rd comes out:razz:

Bev Vincent
03-09-2021, 11:53 AM
Gwendy's Final Task will be a Cemetery Dance hardcover in February 2022 and a Gallery (Scribner) edition in May 2022.

Brian861
03-09-2021, 11:57 AM
Gwendy's Final Task will be a Cemetery Dance hardcover in February 2022 and a Gallery (Scribner) edition in May 2022.

Any word on limiteds? SST did really well with their productions.

mae
03-09-2021, 12:05 PM
Great news! Thanks, Bev!

mae
03-09-2021, 12:32 PM
I wonder if there will be a boxed set for the trilogy.

Merlin1958
03-09-2021, 12:50 PM
I think its time, Gwendy got back in the box. lol lol

Brian861
03-09-2021, 02:46 PM

Ugh. Don't give them any ideas. Cause I'll have to have the damn thing.

Merlin1958
03-09-2021, 03:23 PM

Ugh. Don't give them any ideas. Cause I'll have to have the damn thing.

The first one was a decent story and I enjoyed it. Anything thereafter is a money grab IMHO. You're probably very on point about a boxed set and what have ya.

JackMortal
03-12-2021, 07:10 AM
I checked out Gwendy's Button Box (and Elevation) from the library two years ago. I appreciate the first book for what it was, but I'm going to opt of picking up the sequel.

Ricky
03-12-2021, 08:14 AM
I still haven't gotten to Magic Feather, though I probably will sometime before Final Task comes out.

fernandito
03-12-2021, 09:19 AM
I honestly forgot this book existed. Am curious about the book, but the replies in this thread don't sound very encouraging lol.

Brian861
03-12-2021, 02:56 PM
I honestly forgot this book existed. Am curious about the book, but the replies in this thread don't sound very encouraging lol.

You aren't missing much. I just have it as part of my collection.

Merlin1958
03-12-2021, 05:38 PM
I checked out Gwendy's Button Box (and Elevation) from the library two years ago. I appreciate the first book for what it was, but I'm going to opt of picking up the sequel.

Can I get an "A-Men"???????????????? lol lol

kingfan2323
03-12-2021, 10:16 PM
Maybe we will get the 2nd book limited version before the 3rd comes out:razz:Just like stephen king can write a book, have it edited, and printed, and released faster than CD can get a slipcase made.

ISO: anything DT related #246

RichardX
03-13-2021, 06:47 AM
I'll read it but with low expectations and because it is short.

Hunchback Jack
03-14-2021, 01:22 PM
Is this volume co-written or is it Chizmar only?

Brian861
03-14-2021, 02:32 PM
Is this volume co-written or is it Chizmar only?

From what I gathered, it'll be co-written.

mae
04-15-2021, 05:22 AM
https://www.cemeterydance.com/gwendys-final-task.html

Gwendy's Final Task
by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar
A Cemetery Dance Publications Exclusive Trade Hardcover!

Gwendy's Final Task
by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar

Featuring cover artwork by Ben Baldwin
Interior artwork by Keith Minnion

Trade Hardcover World's 1st Edition From Cemetery Dance Publications!

About the Book:
When Gwendy Peterson was twelve, a mysterious stranger named Richard Farris gave her a mysterious box for safekeeping. It offered treats and vintage coins, but it was dangerous. Pushing any of its seven colored buttons promised death and destruction.

Years later, the button box entered Gwendy’s life again. A successful novelist and a rising political star, she was once again forced to deal with the temptation that box represented.

Now, evil forces seek to possess the button box and it is up to Senator Gwendy Peterson to keep it from them. At all costs. But where can you hide something from such powerful entities?

In Gwendy’s Final Task, “horror giants” (Publishers Weekly) Stephen King and Richard Chizmar take us on a journey from Castle Rock to another famous cursed Maine city to the MF-1 space station, where Gwendy must execute a secret mission to save the world. And, maybe, all worlds.

Published as a trade hardcover edition:
• Printed on acid-free paper
• Bound in cloth with colored head and tail bands
• Featuring hot foil stamping on the front boards and spine
• Wrapped in a full-color dust jacket
• Retail price $28

https://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/2/king20.jpg

Garrell
04-15-2021, 05:55 AM
Ordered, thank you

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-15-2021, 08:51 AM
Me also.
Another book to add to the list of the ones I've forgotten I ordered.

Garrell
04-15-2021, 11:16 AM
I have a list so I don't forget on my phone. It is at 30 atm.

mae
05-13-2021, 04:48 AM
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/gwendys-final-task-returns-to-stephen-kings-castle-rock-and-beyond-301290608.html

Cemetery Dance Publications is pleased to announce that Gwendy Peterson, heroine of the New York Times bestselling Gwendy's Button Box and Gwendy's Magic Feather, will be returning to bookstores everywhere on Feb. 15, 2022, in Gwendy's Final Task, an original novel by "horror giants" (Publishers Weekly) Stephen King and Richard Chizmar that will take readers on a spellbinding journey from Castle Rock to another famous cursed Maine town to the MF-1 space station, where Gwendy must execute a secret mission to save the world. And, maybe, all worlds.

"Several years ago, when I was roadblocked on a story called Gwendy's Button Box, Richard Chizmar rode to the rescue and finished it," Stephen King said. "The little book that resulted was fun for us and fun for readers, so I was happy when Rich decided to write a sequel, called Gwendy's Magic Feather. It was great to see Gwendy all grown up and succeeding not only in politics but as a writer. We both felt her story needed a third act — if, that was, the act was a good one. We think Gwendy's Final Task is a great conclusion to her story, and hope readers will agree."

Richard Chizmar said, "Spending time with Gwendy Peterson is always a joy, and the writing of Gwendy's Final Task was a real pleasure from start to finish. Steve and I followed her to some unexpected places and had a heckuva lot of fun doing it."

And editor Ed Schlesinger said, "Gwendy's Final Task is an astonishing collaboration, the epic finale of an unforgettable tale that has truly taken on a life of its own — Constant Readers should expect the unexpected in every suspense-filled moment spent with Gwendy Peterson."

Gwendy's Final Task will be published in hardcover and eBook formats by Cemetery Dance Publications on Feb. 15, 2022. Simon & Schuster Audio will publish the audiobook on that same day, with Gallery Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, publishing a trade paperback and its own eBook edition later in the spring.

This is already shaping up to be a busy year for Stephen King and Richard Chizmar. In addition to completing their work on the Gwendy Peterson trilogy, Scribner will publish Billy Summers by Stephen King, a novel about a killer-for-hire, on Aug. 3, 2021, and Gallery Books will publish Chasing the Boogeyman by Richard Chizmar, a story of small-town evil that combines the storytelling power of Stephen King with the true-crime suspense of Michelle McNamara, on Aug. 17, 2021.

Bev Vincent
10-20-2021, 07:28 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCGXCaIVgAARcsx.jpg

mae
10-20-2021, 07:46 AM
Will Gwendy meet Roland? :panic:

Garrell
10-20-2021, 07:57 AM
Is Gwendy Roland's daughter?:wink1:

webstar1000
10-20-2021, 09:37 AM
This is setting up kings next DT release next year. FYI

you ever seen a ghost?
10-20-2021, 09:51 AM
what do you mean by that?

also, i do wonder if there really is a DT connection? i have my proof of Final Task but i haven't it yet because i haven't read the second book yet!) i plan on it, but things have been absurdly busy!

The Great Buchinsky
10-21-2021, 08:55 AM
This is setting up kings next DT release next year. FYI

Are you just speculating or have you actually heard King is working on something Dark Tower?

Ricky
01-20-2022, 11:18 AM
Finished the book and enjoyed it.

CyberGhostface
02-11-2022, 04:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5JqDAt3qbE

herbertwest
02-13-2022, 04:33 AM
Nobody will care but it really does bother me that in the book, chapter 43, there are 3 expressions written in french.
They dont really bring anything to the story, but two of them are not correct.
Even a simple Google check would have spotted them

It's a shame, I would have had one of the ARC when Richard started posting pictures of them, I could have told them and the books may have been fixed before they were printed.

I wondered a couple of weeks ago if I should mention it to Richard or not, in order to fix it for the Gallery Books version, but I am not sure. It would probably create some frustration for nothing.

Oh well. I guess french readers will eventually read the translation and won't notice the mistake

But really : writers, whomever you are.
If you want to put a few french expressions in your book.
Ask some actually french people. And not either some french canadians, because well. There are some differences, just like US/UK I guess

Ari_Racing
02-13-2022, 05:43 AM
The same happened with Billy Summers and a Spanish expression/text. I reported it so they'd correct it before it was printed and didn't get an answer. The mistake remains there.

herbertwest
02-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Another one that bugs me but is even less significant : i reckon that it's in "The bazaar of bad dreams", where is a note about the inspiration behind "That bus is another world" coming from parisian traffic, when he visited Paris and the wrong year is mentionned.
It's irking to me because it's so obvious it's wrong lol

Ari_Racing
02-13-2022, 07:12 AM
I reported that one as well when I got the proofs. Uk replied immediately but USA didn't. I hear they corrected it in later editions.

EXPLORER
02-13-2022, 08:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOF0CmSwICI

As for you completists, the best way to find the gray version is to order a copy from Amazon or pick one up at your local chain bookstore. Don’t forget to send in your confirmation to cdancepub@aol.com so you will be entered in the contest.

Hunchback Jack
02-13-2022, 01:03 PM
So the green ones went to CD and the grey ones to the larger retailers?

HBJ

Randall Flagg
02-13-2022, 02:41 PM
So the green ones went to CD and the grey ones to the larger retailers?

HBJ
That has not been independently confirmed.
Not have the different printers been clarified.
IMO, it's really much ado about nothing.

The Great Buchinsky
02-13-2022, 07:36 PM
I generally order books from Amazon but got this one directly from CD. Should I expect it to arrive on Tuesday or ship then?

Bev Vincent
02-14-2022, 03:51 AM
Some people have reported receiving their copies from CD already.

The Great Buchinsky
02-14-2022, 05:37 AM
Some people have reported receiving their copies from CD already.

Thanks! Hopefully mine shows up today or tomorrow then.

Brian861
02-14-2022, 11:30 AM
Rich confirmed in a video that they used two different printers and a follow up email confirms that CD orders will contain the green boards. Some retailers were selling the book as early as this past weekend and some retailers received the green board editions as well.

Bev Vincent
02-14-2022, 11:53 AM
Stephen King talks how 'Gwendy's Final Task' takes its heroine across his literary universe (https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/books/2022/02/14/stephen-king-richard-chizmar-collaborate-gwendys-final-task/6752167001/)

mae
02-14-2022, 04:58 PM
Stephen King and Richard Chizmar’s Gwendy saga comes to a satisfying conclusion: https://www.washingtonpost.com/books/2022/02/13/stephen-king-richard-chizmar-gwendys-final-task/

Garrell
02-15-2022, 06:28 AM
Got mine today from CD

mae
02-15-2022, 01:32 PM
Rich confirmed in a video that they used two different printers and a follow up email confirms that CD orders will contain the green boards. Some retailers were selling the book as early as this past weekend and some retailers received the green board editions as well.

Got gray from Amazon.

Brian861
02-15-2022, 01:38 PM

Got gray from Amazon.

Got green from CD. I ordered a copy from Water Street but they are out so not sure if their restock will be 1st or not. I'll probably check B&N tomorrow.

Was your Amazon copy beat to hell and gone?

mae
02-15-2022, 01:44 PM

Nope, it was perfect and smooth!

Brian861
02-15-2022, 01:46 PM

Nope, it was perfect and smooth!

Nice.

Randall Flagg
02-15-2022, 04:48 PM
I don't see on Amazon for the book. Only the Trilogy package.
It also looks like Costco (in my area) and my local Barnes & Noble aren't stocking it.

sentinel
02-15-2022, 05:18 PM
They are having some distribution issues with Gwendy's Final Task. Ingram, the largest book distributor, does not have them yet and evil Amazon has a date of next week.
Most Independent bookstores use Ingram, and my local Barnes & Nobel nor Books-a-Million has copies.

Brian861
02-15-2022, 06:06 PM
Gonna check my B&N tomorrow if anyone needs a copy. If they have them that is.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-15-2022, 06:30 PM
I went to B&N today and they didn't have any, so I ordered one.

EXPLORER
02-16-2022, 05:11 AM
They are having some distribution issues with Gwendy's Final Task. Ingram, the largest book distributor, does not have them yet and evil Amazon has a date of next week.
Most Independent bookstores use Ingram, and my local Barnes & Nobel nor Books-a-Million has copies.

Gonna check my B&N tomorrow if anyone needs a copy. If they have them that is.

I went to B&N today and they didn't have any, so I ordered one.

OUR Barnes & Noble knew of the release date however had none and suggested we might get quicker if ordered rather than just wait to arrive.
SAMS Club had none. I watched staff load new releases yesterday. It was a painfully disappointing!

Our Mailman might wonder why we act so excited when he arrives to smiles however leaves to frowns.

The Great Buchinsky
02-16-2022, 03:13 PM
My CD shipping label was finally created but still hasn't shipped(ordered July 2021). Ended up buying the Kindle version while I wait. Liking the story so far!

Ricky
02-16-2022, 04:18 PM
Here's my review I sent to Rich. Not sure where it'll pop up, so figured I'd post here. No spoilers, just hidden to save scrolling space:

In Gwendy’s Final Task, the newest—and last (according to the authors’ afterward)—installment in the Gwendy series, reading about the latest adventures of Gwendy Peterson feels like revisiting an old friend. Readers have had the benefit of getting to know Gwendy over the course of three novels as she has grown from a child to an adult to an older woman, and it’s a testament to the series’ writing that her character feels consistent and manages to have added depth with each subsequent volume.

In Final Task, the now sixty-four-year-old Gwendy is once again tasked with protecting the button box first entrusted to her by the enigmatic (and seemingly ageless) Richard Farris when she was twelve. Although Gwendy is reluctant—and with good reason, since the box tempts its possessor with the great power to destroy—she faces the task with bravery, determination, and the desire to do what’s best for her world…and all worlds. After all, to quote another memorable King character, there are other worlds than these.

Whether in her childhood school days in Gwendy’s Button Box or political stardom in Gwendy’s Magic Feather, Gwendy’s story has always managed to reflect current events. The same is true here (despite just a few too many mentions of a certain former president) as Gwendy’s latest responsibility leads her to the M-F space station. It’s an interesting setting and allows Gwendy to be much more introspective than we’ve seen her before. There are some new characters this time around, as well as some returning ones who are fun to revisit, but it’s clearly Gwendy’s story, and co-authors Stephen King and Richard Chizmar smartly focus on her character development and arc. Along with King and Chizmar’s blended voices and crisp prose, the result is a propulsive, readable story that feels incredibly intimate and honest. A flashback in which a young Gwendy and her mother discuss their beliefs regarding heaven and the afterlife while looking up at the stars is one of the book’s best—honest, beautiful, and touching.

If readers glance at the book’s beautiful cover and surmise that Gwendy’s Final Task might feature a few Dark Tower Easter eggs, they’d be right. It’s genuinely fun to discover both the overt and subtle links to Stephen King’s magnum opus (no spoilers here) and they, along with references to the towns and histories of fictional Maine locales like Derry and Castle Rock feel organic rather than shoehorned into the story. If anything, it would have been welcome if Final Task had been even longer (it’s over 400 pages, but the print and line spacing are fairly large) in order to more fully develop those connections as well as the story’s particularly nasty villain.

Overall, Gwendy’s Final Task is great fun with a satisfying (and genuinely surprising) ending that rings true for the story and Gwendy’s character as a whole. But perhaps most of all, its message of love, positivity, and doing the right thing even when it’s hard is one that’s easy to rally behind, and just the kind of story we need right now.

—Ricky Ruszin, author of Showtime and writer for Collider.com

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-18-2022, 10:38 AM
From B&N's tracking service:

Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery.

My aching back from shoveling my looooooong driveway this morning confirms this!

Brian861
02-18-2022, 11:42 AM
From B&N's tracking service:

Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery.

My aching back from shoveling my looooooong driveway this morning confirms this!

I feel your pain on the shoveling.

Brian861
02-18-2022, 01:13 PM
The Gwendy Collection: Gwendy's Button Box, Gwendy's Magic Feather, Gwendy's Final Task (The Gwendy Collection: Gwendy's Button Box, Gwendy's Magic Feather, Gwendy's Final Task)

mae
02-18-2022, 01:22 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/811+Uh0rsvL.jpg

Randall Flagg
02-18-2022, 05:17 PM
The Gwendy Collection: Gwendy's Button Box, Gwendy's Magic Feather, Gwendy's Final Task (The Gwendy Collection: Gwendy's Button Box, Gwendy's Magic Feather, Gwendy's Final Task)
This post is nonsensical.

Brian861
02-19-2022, 11:55 AM
This post is nonsensical.

Was trying to link to the product page that Mae shows above.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-20-2022, 09:51 AM
It seems B&N gave my book to the UPS who handed it off to the USPS who delivered it today, Sunday.
I theorize a conspiracy, and have duly notified Mel Gibson.

Ricky
02-20-2022, 09:54 AM
I'm about 40 mins. from CD and my BN only had four copies yesterday.

Brian861
02-21-2022, 08:58 AM
It seems B&N gave my book to the UPS who handed it off to the USPS who delivered it today, Sunday.
I theorize a conspiracy, and have duly notified Mel Gibson.

Should receive my B&N order on the 25th. Received my CD order on the official release day. Green boards and all.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-23-2022, 06:27 AM
I just noticed the texture of the dust jacket on my CD copy is glossy, while the dust jacket on the B&N book is of a different material.
I don't know if this has been pointed out before.

Hunchback Jack
02-24-2022, 06:08 PM
I got mine from CD earlier this week (green) and one from Amazon today (grey).

The two variants are quite different. Same contents, of course.

The gray version has a matte dustjacket, gray boards, the authors’ names - no title! - stamped on the spine, a simple glued binding, and white endpapers. The green version has glossy dust jacket, green boards stamped on the spine and the front, a more sturdy stitched binding, and black endpapers.

The paper stock and print quality looks to be the same in both editions. The gray version’s page block looks slightly thinner, but that might just be a byproduct of the different binding.

HBJ
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/930/1B4D7873-FA87-4E9B-8E3E-17B446A63D2C.jpeg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/930/3671BF7C-724C-4B28-9030-8BC2932F907D.jpeg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/930/medium/298465E3-9147-45F2-8E40-CB3ABB7CE22F.jpeg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/930/D85EAE65-B129-4F8B-8808-1F4ABE04E4CA.jpeg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/930/C9C5E6ED-166B-4E4C-9A97-F8E686651515.jpeg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/930/B2DFC8B2-94F0-4E5A-850E-B4129332B1CE.jpeg

Brian861
02-25-2022, 10:34 AM
Definitely should be added to the catalog for future collectors.

Hunchback Jack
02-25-2022, 01:20 PM
Added photos to my comparison post.

Randall Flagg
02-25-2022, 02:28 PM
I'll get the info and pics added to the Catalog.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-25-2022, 02:58 PM
After the 1st reading, I would say King never contributed to this.

Brian861
02-25-2022, 03:32 PM

Thanks, Jerome.

Brian861
02-25-2022, 03:33 PM

Having read some Chizmar in the past, I would agree wholeheartedly.

Hunchback Jack
02-25-2022, 03:48 PM

Thanks, Jerome. Let me know if I can provide any more pics (copyright pages, etc).

HBJ

Hunchback Jack
02-25-2022, 06:10 PM
Publishing info from Richard Chizmar:

First hardcover printing: 100,000 copies
Green binding: 80,000 copies
Gray binding: 20,000 copies
Flat signed copies: approx 5,000
Signed Bookplates: 4,000

HBJ

mae
02-25-2022, 06:44 PM
Even though I got the apparently "rarer" variant, I like the green more.

Randall Flagg
02-25-2022, 07:10 PM
Not sure where the purported 80,000 green binding books are (CD's warehouse to be remaindered in 2 years?) as I'm still waiting on my order from CD.

Brian861
02-26-2022, 11:56 AM
Even though I got the apparently "rarer" variant, I like the green more.

The green one is nice. Surprised it's not the rarer of the two. Ordered a couple of grays. Hopefully they'll be first.

herbertwest
02-27-2022, 06:23 AM
Given the pictures, the grey version looks extremely basic and not nice

Randall Flagg
02-27-2022, 10:31 AM

Thanks, Jerome.
Info and pics added. Thanks to Hunchback Jack for the info and pics.

Brian861
02-27-2022, 10:49 AM
It seems H&S also printed the title. From what I've seen, green boards without the stamping.

SystemCrashOverRide
02-27-2022, 03:18 PM
It seems H&S also printed the title. From what I've seen, green boards without the stamping.

A third printer of a 1st/1st? The plot thickens

Hunchback Jack
02-27-2022, 04:05 PM

Second printings of that edition exist already, too.

Randall Flagg
02-27-2022, 04:05 PM
H&S is a UK publisher.

Hunchback Jack
02-27-2022, 04:20 PM

Having read some Chizmar in the past, I would agree wholeheartedly.

I’ve just finished it, and I would say it’s a mix, but definitely more Chizmar than King. If I were guessing, I would say that Chizmar wrote the first draft, and King did an editorial pass to insert some story elements and changes of wording.

More comments and massive spoilers behind the spoiler tag.

Generally, I thought the central story was fine, but not great. The story of Gwendy tasked with destroying the box, and evil powers trying to take it from her is a fine premise, and I think it was executed reasonably well.

However, the inclusion of references to Kings other work made it feel very fan-fictiony. Some of the references were fun, and had they been restricted to Kings Maine, I think they would’ve worked fine. But I felt like Chizmar introduced some of the more expansive elements to try to make Gwendy’s story bigger, and the result was to make King’s other work feel smaller.

For example, the button box was clearly designed to be used on earth – our earth, or an earth very similar to ours. So the idea that it would be a threat to the Tower, the linchpin of all existence, the enormous edifice that the Crimson King spent centuries trying to destroy Beam by Beam, just makes the Tower seem weaker.

I don’t consider this trilogy to be part of King’s canon.

It’s also interesting that King joked about Chizmar sending Gwendy into space in his preface to the second volume, so that raises questions in my mind about how seriously King takes this little tale set in his worlds.

HBJ

nocny
02-27-2022, 10:34 PM
From Bev Vincent's interview:

As you worked on the novel, did you discuss where the book was going, or was it simply a process of passing the manuscript back and forth and giving the other author free rein to do as he liked with the story?

Chizmar: Pretty much total freedom, which made the process all the more challenging and exciting.

How did you decide when it was time to hand the manuscript off to your collaborator?

King: 50-page Rule.

Once you finished the first draft, how did you handle revising each other's sections?

Chizmar: We actually did a lot of minor revising and tweaking as we went along. Most of the time, when one of us received a new batch of pages, the first thing we did was read and revise. That helped to get us back into the flow of the narrative. Then, we picked up where the other had left off and ran with it.

RichardX
03-03-2022, 07:07 AM
Nice to see the book dedicated to Marsha DeFilippo who was the moderator on the old SK forum.

herbertwest
03-03-2022, 08:14 AM
More than the moderator, she was one of King's assistant for about 15-20 years

RichardX
03-04-2022, 06:48 AM
The tiresome political commentary of the book is unfortunate, but predictable. King is like the old guy in the neighborhood whose favorite activity is yelling at the kids to keep off his lawn and he can't stop even after the kids have moved away. My favorite part has to be the lecture on global warming coming from the guy who takes a private jet on his book tours. It's sad to see an author like King go out like this. Writing mediocre books and being a hypocrite. I still read his books but the enjoyment is gone.

webstar1000
03-04-2022, 07:42 AM
The tiresome political commentary of the book is unfortunate, but predictable. King is like the old guy in the neighborhood whose favorite activity is yelling at the kids to keep off his lawn and he can't stop even after the kids have moved away. My favorite part has to be the lecture on global warming coming from the guy who takes a private jet on his book tours. It's sad to see an author like King go out like this. Writing mediocre books and being a hypocrite. I still read his books but the enjoyment is gone.

If the enjoyment is gone… don’t read them. Seems simple to me

CyberGhostface
03-04-2022, 07:58 AM

It seems they're always attacking King (at one point he called King a coward because he signed a statement supporting trans people) and complaining about King's politics in his work because they differ from his. If I hated someone that much I would have stopped reading their books years ago.

webstar1000
03-05-2022, 07:17 PM

It seems they're always attacking King (at one point he called King a coward because he signed a statement supporting trans people) and complaining about King's politics in his work because they differ from his. If I hated someone that much I would have stopped reading their books years ago.

Totally. Reading the hate like this over and over is tiring. Leave it if your is offended.

St. Troy
03-05-2022, 09:17 PM
...complaining about King's politics in his work because they differ from his...

...or because King insists on beating the reader over the head with them? In Elevation (for example), you have to wait for the actual story to emerge from the mass of "here's what's wrong with all of you/here's where you should stand on the issues" (and I actually liked it).

SystemCrashOverRide
03-05-2022, 09:39 PM
Anyone have a copy with grey boards for sale?

Brian861
03-06-2022, 11:23 AM
I'm looking for a 1st UK trade edition if anyone can help me out.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-06-2022, 02:21 PM

So am I.
I've put out a few feelers but no luck so far.
My Book Depository copy was a 3rd printing; I ordered it too late.

Brian861
03-06-2022, 02:26 PM

So am I.

The reason I didn't order from them is because I figure that would happen with me being late as well. I'm subscribed to the H&S newsletter and they never mentioned it. And forgot to check BD before hand.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-06-2022, 02:45 PM

So am I.

The reason I didn't order from them is because I figure that would happen with me being late as well. I'm subscribed to the H&S newsletter and they never mentioned it. And forgot to check BD before hand.

If I do find someone who has 1sts I'll try to get two, one for me and one for you.
I've tried Camelot and a bookstore owner I know in the UK so far and E-Bay and Abe with no luck.
I still have one other person who hasn't replied yet in mind. I always order these in advance but this one slipped through my fingers.

Brian861
03-07-2022, 02:14 PM

So am I.

If I do find someone who has 1sts I'll try to get two, one for me and one for you.
I've tried Camelot and a bookstore owner I know in the UK so far and E-Bay and Abe with no luck.
I still have one other person who hasn't replied yet in mind. I always order these in advance but this one slipped through my fingers.

I really appreciate it, Steve. I've managed to secure a copy but I have a friend looking for you as well. I should know something later in the week.

Ari_Racing
03-07-2022, 05:22 PM
I have one UK 1st hardcover.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-08-2022, 01:39 PM
I am having no luck finding a UK 1st.
The Abe Books sellers don't respond to my inquiries.
I will soon give up.

Ari_Racing
03-08-2022, 03:10 PM
I have one. Send me a PM.

herbertwest
03-27-2022, 02:53 AM
I would need to check but I think that i also have a UK 1st (probably the 3 books actually)

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-27-2022, 05:56 AM
I have one now, from Ari, with my thanks!
I still need to read it though, I'm way behind on my reading.

herbertwest
05-22-2022, 06:11 AM
If anyone else is looking for UK 1st editions, I may be able to help with the last 2 books of the trilogy.

Available for sale :
- Gwendy's Button Box : CD version, 1st edition, signed by Richard Chizmar
- Gwendy's Magic Feather : 1st UK edition
- Gwendy's Final Task : 1st UK edition