PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Horror-thon 2020 (Because 2020 Hasn't Been Scary Enough!)

Ricky
09-26-2020, 02:27 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/sDbY6C3T/horror.jpg

I don't know about you guys but 2020 has made me ready for Halloween faster than I've ever been. I think we all need something to look forward to so let's kick off the fun a little earlier!

What's everyone planning on watching this season? With the virus kind of ruining all the theatrical releases we might've had this year, I mostly have stuff that I missed out on last year. Quarantine gave me a lot of time to catch up on some of the older films on my horror list.

For movies, I'd like to get to: Drag Me to Hell, It (re-watch), It Chapter 2, Happy Death Day 2 U, The Addams Family (animated), and maybe The Invisible Man. Also gotta re-watch Halloween (1978 and 2018) and maybe the Scream series.

On the TV front, I'm watching Ratched now and am definitely going to check out The Haunting of Bly Manor. I'd also like to (finally) get to American Horror Story: Hotel and maybe Slasher.

OldCrow88
09-26-2020, 06:07 PM
I always find time to re-watch classic Carpenter. Watched The Thing today. I'll watch the original Halloween, Halloween III, and The Fog. I'll cycle thru all the Halloween movies except the Rob Zombie things. I might re-watch Stranger Things season 2. I'm trying to get to the recent Fantasy Island movie because I like Michael Pena. The Haunting of Bly Manor does look intriguing, I might check it out as well.

Pere Jere
09-27-2020, 05:59 AM
I plan on watching *Salem’s Lot (1979), *The Conjuring 1 & 2, Insidious 1 & 2, The VVitch, Trick ‘r Treat, Let the Right One In, and *Near Dark if I can find a way to watch it. (*) = first time viewing.

Heather19
09-27-2020, 06:56 AM
I've already started on my Halloween reads, but I haven't really thought about what films to watch this year. I always watch the original Halloween, and Kenny and Company has also become another annual watch for us as well. I'd love to watch some of the classic universal monster movies this year. And then of course all of the Halloween food shows and I do have Ratched and Haunting of Bly Manor on my list.

I did just watch Frankenweenie along with the original short. It had been forever since I watched the original, that I forgot a lot of the actors that were in it. Such a great little film.

Ricky
09-27-2020, 08:34 AM
I'm trying to get to the recent Fantasy Island movie because I like Michael Pena.

I watched Fantasy Island a few months ago and there was a lot going on in that movie plot-wise. :lol: It wasn't bad, but it's like they had four ideas and crammed them all into one movie.

I'd love to watch some of the classic universal monster movies this year. And then of course all of the Halloween food shows

I watched The Creature From the Black Lagoon and The Mummy for the first time during quarantine and was surprised at how much I enjoyed them. It was also cool to watch Creature From the Black Lagoon having already seen The Shape of Water and seeing what elements inspired del Toro.

And yeah, can't forget about all those Food Network shows!

Oh, and I watched Elvira's Haunted Hills last night. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one but it was a fun satire of the old Edgar Allan Poe/Hammer movies.

Heather19
09-27-2020, 11:06 AM
I should give it another watch, it's been so long.

I love Creature From the Black Lagoon. That's such a good one. I think I've seen all of the first films, and maybe Bride of Frankenstein? But it's been quite some time so I don't remember too much about a lot of them.

Hunchback Jack
09-27-2020, 02:31 PM
I always find time to re-watch classic Carpenter. Watched The Thing today. I'll watch the original Halloween, Halloween III, and The Fog. I'll cycle thru all the Halloween movies except the Rob Zombie things. I might re-watch Stranger Things season 2. I'm trying to get to the recent Fantasy Island movie because I like Michael Pena. The Haunting of Bly Manor does look intriguing, I might check it out as well.

Oh yeah. That’s a great idea. Love me some John carpenter spooky.

Shannon
09-28-2020, 01:21 PM
Woot woot! The 8th Annual Shannon and Rose Halloween Spooktacular is coming up! I love coming up with the schedule as much as watching the movies. We'll be doing that this week. The only "tradition" movies we watch every year are Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas.

Mattrick
09-28-2020, 01:29 PM
I'll probably just watch Haunting of Hill House and whatever the follow up is called because Turn of the Screw is fantastic.

Ricky
09-28-2020, 02:36 PM
Woot woot! The 8th Annual Shannon and Rose Halloween Spooktacular is coming up! I love coming up with the schedule as much as watching the movies. We'll be doing that this week. The only "tradition" movies we watch every year are Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas.

Is that just one day, or the whole season? That's awesome that she's into those kind of movies at such a young age.

I'll probably just watch Haunting of Hill House and whatever the follow up is called because Turn of the Screw is fantastic.

Bly Manor!

And will this be your first viewing of Hill House?

Mattrick
09-28-2020, 03:02 PM

Bly Manor!

And will this be your first viewing of Hill House?

Yes. I'm a huge Flanagan Flan so I've been letting it marinate, but watching both series back-to-back sounds like a good take. I've been meaning to rewatch Oculus and I haven't rewatched Gerald's Game yet, and I want to see the Director's Cut of Doctor Sleep, so maybe I'll just have myself a Mike Flanagan fest.

becca69
09-29-2020, 06:10 AM
Kicked off the season early with the classic My Bloody Valentine.

mattgreenbean
10-01-2020, 06:22 AM
Getting my list started...

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome
Sept 25 The Uninvited (2009) $$
Sept 26 Night of The Comet * $$$
Sept 26 The Houses October Built $$$$
Sept 27 The Houses October Built 2 * $$$
Sept 30 The Innkeepers $$

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 TBD

Ricky
10-01-2020, 02:07 PM
Anyone watching Ratched?

mattgreenbean
10-02-2020, 04:38 AM
Anyone watching Ratched?

Has that Ryan Murphy look, that's for sure. Haven't watched it myself. I enjoy the movie, but I'm not sure I have the interest for a series based on the Ratched character.

mattgreenbean
10-02-2020, 04:53 AM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 Tusk $$$$

Oct 1 Tusk $$$$ The guest star is a little odd, but other than that, I find this film pretty crazy. There is a bonus feature with the podcast where Kevin Smith comes up with the story beat-by-beat for the film on the spot. I'm fairly sure he's hitting the bowl during this :cool2:

Heather19
10-02-2020, 07:58 AM
I loved Tusk, such a fun movie.

Heather19
10-02-2020, 08:04 AM
We started off Oct watching Don't Look Now. I swear I've seen this movie on lots of best horror lists, but it was a bit odd and I wasn't really a fan of it. I saw it's based on a book by Daphne Du Maurier. I'm curious to read that as I like her and the story line wasn't bad, but the filming and pacing of the movie was just weird. For instance the film starts with 2 kids, a boy and girl, but the boy suddenly disappears for most of the film. I was confused forever on who the boy was thinking it was the son, but the movie is just following the parents of the dead girl and he's no where to be seen or even mentioned. Until at least halfway thru we find out he's back home being watched over by someone else. Then there was that very long sex scene which is interspersed with shots of them getting ready afterwards.

Ricky
10-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Has that Ryan Murphy look, that's for sure. Haven't watched it myself. I enjoy the movie, but I'm not sure I have the interest for a series based on the Ratched character.

I finished it last night. You're right--it definitely that that Ryan Murphy look and feel. I feel like a lot of his projects have the same highs and lows. Highs: casting, production design, lighting, costuming. Lows: writing, too many plot threads. Overall I enjoyed Ratched. I didn't know it was already picked up for a second season so my subtle grievances about the finale aren't so strong.

We started off Oct watching Don't Look Now. I swear I've seen this movie on lots of best horror lists, but it was a bit odd and I wasn't really a fan of it. I saw it's based on a book by Daphne Du Maurier. I'm curious to read that as I like her and the story line wasn't bad, but the filming and pacing of the movie was just weird. For instance the film starts with 2 kids, a boy and girl, but the boy suddenly disappears for most of the film. I was confused forever on who the boy was thinking it was the son, but the movie is just following the parents of the dead girl and he's no where to be seen or even mentioned. Until at least halfway thru we find out he's back home being watched over by someone else. Then there was that very long sex scene which is interspersed with shots of them getting ready afterwards.

I've had this one on my list for years but have never gotten around to it. So would you not recommend it?

Heather19
10-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Unfortunately I wouldn't. Maybe I was more disappointed with it than I should have been since I was expecting this great horror film. But I feel like there was a bit of confusion with a lack of explanation on a lot of things. I'm really curious to read the book however. Hopefully that will be better.

mattgreenbean
10-05-2020, 06:04 AM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 Tusk $$$$
Oct 2 White Noise * $$$
Oct 3 The Forest * $$
Oct 4 Demon City Shinjuku * $$$
Oct 4 The Terror Within * $$

Oct 2 White Noise * $$$ I thought I watched this back when it first came out, but I didn't remember any of it while watching. Had so jump scares that worked really good. It was refreshing to watch this after years of Ghost Hunters and the like, (I really despise that guy.)

Oct 3 The Forest * $$ Unique location with an okay story. Natalie Dormer apparently has a lopsided face, and I'm not knocking her for it, but her smirk made most of the serious scenes not as believable. Although, she's not to blame for the story.

Oct 4 Demon City Shinjuku * $$$ Anime Horror. Some really cool monsters. This is by the Ninja Scrolls writer/director. Adult animation.

Oct 4 The Terror Within * $$ Hmmm, Alien, but on Earth, with a small budget. I'd like to see a 60 min version. This is OK as a low budget film.

Heather19
10-05-2020, 08:42 AM
Since I just finished reading a book about Salem, and I'm yearning to head out there this season but can't, I decided to revisit a Salem movie so I rewatched Lords of Salem. I enjoyed it way more on a second viewing. I remember watching it when it came out and liking it, but it was definitely at the bottom of my Rob Zombie list. This time I thought it was great. Not his best film by any means, but very enjoyable, and from a stylistic point of view I thought it was a beautifully shot film.

Ricky
10-05-2020, 09:04 AM
Oct 3 The Forest * $$ Unique location with an okay story. Natalie Dormer apparently has a lopsided face, and I'm not knocking her for it, but her smirk made most of the serious scenes not as believable. Although, she's not to blame for the story.

I hated The Forest. But you're right, it wasn't Dormer's fault the story wasn't great.

Since I just finished reading a book about Salem, and I'm yearning to head out there this season but can't, I decided to revisit a Salem movie so I rewatched Lords of Salem. I enjoyed it way more on a second viewing. I remember watching it when it came out and liking it, but it was definitely at the bottom of my Rob Zombie list. This time I thought it was great. Not his best film by any means, but very enjoyable, and from a stylistic point of view I thought it was a beautifully shot film.

I think that one might be my least favorite Rob Zombie movie. If I had to rank them from favorite to least favorite:

1. Devil's Rejects
2. Three from Hell
3. House of 1000 Corpses
4. 31
5. Lords of Salem

I still haven't seen his Halloween re-makes yet.

mattgreenbean
10-05-2020, 09:40 AM
I think that one might be my least favorite Rob Zombie movie. If I had to rank them from favorite to least favorite:

1. Devil's Rejects
2. Three from Hell
3. House of 1000 Corpses
4. 31
5. Lords of Salem

I still haven't seen his Halloween re-makes yet.

Lords of Salem is actually my favorite of his films. I'm a sucker for witch movies. Haven't seen 3 From Hell yet.

My best to worst
1. Lords of Salem (some of it was filmed in Salem and there is a novelization of it, [that I have not read.])
2. House of 1000 Corpses & Devils Rejects (I haven't seen 3 From Hell yet.)
3. Halloween 1 & 2 (these are brutal, he makes it the perspective of, what if Micheal Myers wasn't just a movie monster, but a really monster.)
These other 2, I just don't like thumbsdownsmall
4. 31
5. The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (Couldn't even sit through the whole thing when I watched it 9 or 10 yrs ago.)

Heather19
10-05-2020, 02:21 PM
Since we're ranking films mine would be...

1. House of 1000 Corpses
2. Devil's Rejects
3. 31
4. Halloween (I really enjoyed the first one)
5. Lords of Salem
6. Three From Hell

but honestly I really enjoyed all of the above, and depending on my mood some might switch places.

and then
7. Halloween 2 (hated it, even watched it a second time and still didn't care for it)
8. El Superbeasto (agree that this one was a struggle to watch)

Ricky
10-05-2020, 02:41 PM
Oh no, Three from Hell is low on your list. :(

You know, maybe I'll watch his Halloween this year since I've finally seen all the other Halloween movies.

Heather19
10-06-2020, 04:57 AM
Well like I said I enjoyed all those so it doesn't mean I disliked it by any means. And you should watch his first Halloween movie! It gives a backstory to Michael, then goes into a remake of the first film. I know some people didn't care for that, but I really liked it. Halloween 2, now that's another story :lol:

becca69
10-06-2020, 09:32 AM
If you haven't seen it, I would recommend Let's Scare Jessica to Death. It's one of the earliest horror movies I can remember seeing and it took me years to figure out what it was that I watched way back when I was a small child.

Ricky
10-06-2020, 02:13 PM
And you should watch his first Halloween movie! It gives a backstory to Michael, then goes into a remake of the first film. I know some people didn't care for that, but I really liked it. Halloween 2, now that's another story :lol:

I just went to Netflix to look for it but they don't have it. I'll have to remember to DVR it one day when it airs on SyFy or AMC.

If you haven't seen it, I would recommend Let's Scare Jessica to Death. It's one of the earliest horror movies I can remember seeing and it took me years to figure out what it was that I watched way back when I was a small child.

Added!

Heather19
10-06-2020, 02:42 PM
Wait, netflix doesn't have it :panic: I'm not sure it'll be the same watching an edited tv version.

Ricky
10-06-2020, 02:59 PM
Oh damn, I didn't think of that. I'll have to check On Demand and see if it's there for free.

Shannon
10-07-2020, 09:47 PM
The 8th Annual Rose and Shannon October Horrorthon has started with Hush and season one of the Walking Dead. Season one was only six episodes, and season 2 is only 13 episodes, so we'll be finishing season 2 as well. Haven't finalized the list and schedule yet (shame, I know) but I'm doing it now. This is what I have so far. I try not to have too many movies in the same categories, we go for variety. So categories like VAMPIRE and B&W will be cut down extensively.

ZOMBIES: walking dead (s1 and s2), #alive, shaun of the dead, warm bodies
WITCHES: witches, hocus pocus
SURVIVAL: psycho, purge, misery, hush, final destination, strangers
ANIMAL: anaconda
B&W: nosferatu, dracula, bride of frankenstein, invisible man, phantom of the opera, mummy
MONSTER: sleepy hollow, fly, silent hill, cabin in the woods
GHOSTS: sixth sense
VAMPIRE: let the right one in, interview with the vampire, nosferatu, dracula, underworld, van helsing, 30 days of night
ALIENS: avp, independence day
DEMONS: exorcist, evil dead
WEREWOLF: underworld, van helsing, american werewolf in london
POWERS: carrie, omen
SMALL CREATURES: critters
COMEDY: hocus pocus, shaun of the dead, warm bodies
KIDS: hocus pocus, nightmare before christmas, witches
REWATCH: hocus pocus, nightmare before christmas
GIANT MONSTERS: kong skull island, monsters, them!

Rose has seen Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas
Shannon has NOT seen Warm Bodies, Original Dracula, Nosferatu, Original Invisible Man, Original Mummy, Original Phantom Of The Opera, Bride Of Frankenstein, Monsters, Them!

Ricky
10-08-2020, 07:20 AM
Nosferatu

I just watched this for the first time the other night after having it on my list for years and was kind of underwhelmed. I liked the atmosphere and creature design, but I thought the pacing was incredibly slow and the music made me insane.

I was reading up on it afterwards and I had no idea that it was an unauthorized adaptation of Dracula. Stoker's widow apparently went around the country burning whatever surviving copies she could find after the lawsuit. :lol:

fernandito
10-08-2020, 07:45 AM
Watched Books of Blood on Hulu yesterday. Was really looking forward to it after the trailer....

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

mattgreenbean
10-08-2020, 10:32 AM
Nosferatu

I just watched this for the first time the other night after having it on my list for years and was kind of underwhelmed. I liked the atmosphere and creature design, but I thought the pacing was incredibly slow and the music made me insane.

I was reading up on it afterwards and I had no idea that it was an unauthorized adaptation of Dracula. Stoker's widow apparently went around the country burning whatever surviving copies she could find after the lawsuit. :lol:

Watched it last year and yeah, :( boring.
But that's funny about the wife.

Well, In my opinion, you all should watch Shadow of the Vampire with John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe. Because that's a great film and it's Nosferatu.

mattgreenbean
10-08-2020, 11:27 AM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 Tusk $$$$
Oct 2 White Noise * $$$
Oct 3 The Forest * $$
Oct 5 The Fourth Kind * $$$
Oct 6 Dream Cruise $$$
Oct 7 Shrooms $$$

Oct 5 The Fourth Kind * $$$ I genuinely got goosebumps watching this. But, one of the main characters whines her entire performance, and that really worked against the film.

Oct 6 Dream Cruise $$$ Master of Horror, nice foray into the Asian horror genre.

Oct 7 Shrooms $$$ You would think this would go into the spoof arena, but it's a pretty solid horror flick from the Emerald Isle, (The characters are American though.)

I also caught the new episode of TWD, I really don't like the new guy doing the music with/in-place-of Bear McCreary this season. There's way too much music now IMO.

Shannon
10-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Here we go, the final schedule:

ALREADY WATCHED:
Hush (2016)
Walking Dead: Season 1
Walking Dead: Season 2
Faculty

UPCOMING:
10/11: Misery
10/12: Invisible Man (1933)
10/13: Let Me In
10/14: Hubie Halloween
10/15: Exorcist
10/16: Birds
10/17: DOUBLE FEATURE - American Werewolf In London / Wolf Of Snow Hollow
10/18: DOUBLE FEATURE - AVP / Witches (1990)
10/25: 30 Days Of Night
10/26: Warm Bodies
10/27: Them!
10/28: Nightmare Before Christmas
10/29: Final Destination (2000)
10/30: Hocus Pocus
10/31: DOUBLE FEATURE - Evil Dead (1981) / Cabin In The Woods

Pere Jere
10-10-2020, 03:15 AM
Somehow I’d never seen John Carpenter’s The Thing so I remedied that last night. Awesome movie and should be exhibit A for why practical effects are superior to CGI. Also possibly exhibit A for Kurt Russell’s facial hair mastery.

Shannon
10-10-2020, 08:42 AM
The Thing was fantastic. Rose has seen it before, but now with the popularity of the game Among Us, which she plays all the time, maybe we should watch it again.

kingfan2323
10-11-2020, 09:01 AM
Somehow I’d never seen John Carpenter’ The Thing so I remedied that last night. Awesome movie and should be exhibit A for why practical effects are superior to CGI. Also possibly exhibit A for Kurt Russell’s facial hair mastery.Top Three in both Sci-Fi and Horror!

Amazing why practical effects are better. . . Oh yeah. . . Because it looks real!

In the age of really shitty beards well said regarding Kurt's.

Good modern horror/thriller- Don't Breathe! Director of the Evil Dead remake.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

becca69
10-11-2020, 06:42 PM
Just rewatched The Autopsy of Jane Doe. What a great movie to watch with all the lights out!

mattgreenbean
10-12-2020, 08:53 AM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 Tusk $$$$
Oct 2 White Noise * $$$
Oct 3 The Forest * $$
Oct 6 Dream Cruise $$$
Oct 7 Shrooms $$$
Oct 8 Sinister $$$$
Oct 9 Drag Me To Hell $$$
Oct 10 Blood Tea and Red Strings * $$$
Oct 11 Hell House LLC II * $

Oct 8 Sinister $$$$ Creepy and macabre!

Oct 9 Drag Me To Hell $$$ Lots of fun.

Oct 10 Blood Tea and Red Strings * $$$ Weird stop motion film

Oct 11 Hell House LLC II * $ NONONONO, such a disappointment.

Ricky
10-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Drag Me to Hell is next on my list!

kingfan2323
10-13-2020, 05:26 PM
Just in! Pumped! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201014/be75fdd8564849367a085c71d1b34af9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201014/5b0a03da78ba814b8ce374c15384b5b3.jpg

Ricky
10-14-2020, 05:20 AM
I watched Drag Me to Hell last night and thought it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed it way more than I was expecting to.

Also, the new season of History of Horror!

mattgreenbean
10-14-2020, 07:34 AM
Just in! Pumped!

I need to watch F13 IV at some point before Halloween. I never saw the ones between 3D and FvJ.

Heather19
10-14-2020, 11:45 AM
I watched Drag Me to Hell last night and thought it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed it way more than I was expecting to.

Also, the new season of History of Horror!

So glad to hear you enjoyed it! And yes, so excited that the new season of History of Horror has started.

mattgreenbean
10-17-2020, 01:30 PM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 Tusk $$$$
Oct 2 White Noise * $$$
Oct 3 The Forest * $$
Oct 6 Dream Cruise $$$
Oct 7 Shrooms $$$
Oct 8 Sinister $$$$
Oct 12 Wishmaster * $$$
Oct 13 City of The Living Dead * $$$$
Oct 14 Haxan * $
Oct 15 Marble Hornets * $$$
Oct 16 The Grudge * $$$

Oct 12 Wishmaster * $$$ Great special FX!

Oct 13 City of The Living Dead * $$$$ Man I loved this, great atmosphere and zombies. I can't believe I never saw this.

Oct 14 Haxan * $ I'm not sure what I expected from this, but it wasn't interesting to me.

Oct 15 Marble Hornets * $$$ This is the origin of the Slenderman myth. Well, the ppl/person who posted the story, then turned around and started posting videos online the next day. I watched 2 hours of what was posted. There's a lot more. Some of it is meh, but other parts are definitely creepy.

Oct 16 The Grudge * $$$ Not the best/Not the worst in the series by far. This would actually be a pretty solid follow up to the original for a person who hasn't seen the american versions of the Grudge movies. (The Netflix series is pretty good as well.)

Heather19
10-17-2020, 06:56 PM
I forgot about Marble Hornets. I watched all of the first season I think, and they've probably done a bunch more than what I saw. But there were definitely some creepy moments in it.

Ricky
10-18-2020, 03:28 PM
Oct 16 The Grudge * $$$ Not the best/Not the worst in the series by far. This would actually be a pretty solid follow up to the original for a person who hasn't seen the american versions of the Grudge movies. (The Netflix series is pretty good as well.)

Is this the new one? I didn't really care for it.

mattgreenbean
10-19-2020, 12:22 PM
Is this the new one? I didn't really care for it.

Yes, the newest. Having watched many of the Grudge films over the years, I didn't find this one that low in the franchise.
I've watched some pure dumpster trash films over the years, so this is pretty good compared to those. :shrug:

Ricky
10-19-2020, 02:28 PM
I watched Hubie Halloween last night. Knowing that Sandler films are pretty hit or miss, I was hoping for a light comedy with some laughs and Halloween atmosphere. The Halloween atmosphere and overall seasonal vibe is definitely there, but that's really one of the only good things I can say about the movie. The plot was so all over the place: There's an escaped mental patient on the loose! Is Sandler's neighbor a werewolf? There's people disappearing from town! There's just so much going on that it feels like they just threw plot points at the wall and saw what stuck. And don't get me started on that WTF climax where Hubie's mom kidnaps Hubie's bullies and...proceeds to burn them at the stake?!

It's also super tonally inconsistent. Am I supposed to laugh at how unbelievably awful the entire town treats Hubie? I get the message that they were going for with the forgiveness angle but it feels nasty that his bullies only like him when Hubie has something to offer them. Kind of like how Santa treats Rudolph in the Rankin-Bass special. It doesn't help that the voice Sandler chose for Hubie is so awfully grating.

There were some laugh-out-loud moments, and I enjoyed the cameos throughout, but I'm disappointed that this wasn't better. :(

Garrell
10-19-2020, 07:57 PM
Just rewatched The Autopsy of Jane Doe. What a great movie to watch with all the lights out!

Watched it yesterday. Really good even though the end felt rushed.

mattgreenbean
10-21-2020, 04:50 AM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 Tusk $$$$
Oct 2 White Noise * $$$
Oct 3 The Forest * $$
Oct 6 Dream Cruise $$$
Oct 7 Shrooms $$$
Oct 8 Sinister $$$$
Oct 12 Wishmaster * $$$
Oct 14 Haxan * $
Oct 16 The Grudge * $$$
Oct 17 Casper $$$
Oct 17 Black Christmas 2019 * $$
Oct 18 Friday The 13th The Final Chapter * $$
Oct 19 Books of Blood 2020 * $$$
Oct 20 All Hallows Eve * $$$

Oct 17 Casper $$$ When my kids got bored with it, I kept watching.

Oct 17 Black Christmas 2019 * $$ It had some good moments, but it was too heavy handed in it's message to be a fun watch.

Oct 18 Friday The 13th The Final Chapter * $$ A lot of killing and nudity. Watching this by myself was kinda boring.

Oct 19 Books of Blood 2020 * $$$ A couple of connected stories. No comedy, and that's usually how I like my horror. No corners cut here on budget or acting.

Oct 20 All Hallows Eve * $$$ Low budget anthology with strange presentation. There are plenty of cheap horror anthologies out there, but the low budget look works in it's favor here.

[Disclaimer: These are of course just my opinions]

mattgreenbean
10-23-2020, 03:18 PM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 Tusk $$$$
Oct 2 White Noise * $$$
Oct 3 The Forest * $$
Oct 6 Dream Cruise $$$
Oct 7 Shrooms $$$
Oct 8 Sinister $$$$
Oct 12 Wishmaster * $$$
Oct 14 Haxan * $
Oct 16 The Grudge * $$$
Oct 17 Casper $$$
Oct 21 Death House * $$
Oct 22 Lovely Molly * $$$
Oct 23 Nightbreed: Director's Cut $$$

Oct 21 Death House * $$ Back when SyFy channel was The Sci-Fi Channel, they used to make respectable movies. This would have been one of those, but with language and nudity.

Oct 22 Lovely Molly * $$$ Typical story of moving into a house and being possessed. But the acting and story are pretty believable. I think I'll probably watch this again sooner than later.

Oct 23 Nightbreed: Director's Cut $$$ I never saw the theatrical cut, and I probably never will. This is like Little Monsters for adults, if that makes sense.

Ricky
10-28-2020, 02:11 PM
I watched Blood Fest the other night and really enjoyed it. It's a horror-comedy that I'd describe as Cabin in the Woods meets Scream meets Hell Fest.

Ricky
10-28-2020, 06:23 PM
This was a fun watch: Conjuring Universe Featurette (https://www.comingsoon.net/horror/trailers/1153091-the-conjuring-universe-featurette). Includes some footage of The Conjuring 3. :)

mattgreenbean
10-29-2020, 09:13 AM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 Tusk $$$$
Oct 2 White Noise * $$$
Oct 3 The Forest * $$
Oct 6 Dream Cruise $$$
Oct 7 Shrooms $$$
Oct 8 Sinister $$$$
Oct 12 Wishmaster * $$$
Oct 14 Haxan * $
Oct 16 The Grudge * $$$
Oct 17 Casper $$$
Oct 21 Death House * $$
Oct 24 Vampire Hunter D * $$
Oct 24 Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust * $$
Oct 25 Unfriended * $$Oct 26 Evil Dead II $$$
Oct 27 Friday The 13th V: The New Beginning * $$$
Oct 28 Highway to Hell * $$$
Oct 28 Body Melt * $$$

Oct 24 Vampire Hunter D * $$ I liked this story better
Oct 24 Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust * $$ but I liked this animation better

Oct 25 Unfriended * $$ Everything about this was just okay, bordered on the bad.

Oct 26 Evil Dead II $$$ I like all the Evil Dead movies.

Oct 27 Friday The 13th V: The New Beginning * $$$ Found this one to have a decent story in the timeline.

Oct 28 Highway to Hell * $$$ Thought is was pretty good. It's somewhere between the movies Monkeybone and Wristcutters.

Oct 28 Body Melt * $$$ Australian version of a David Cronenberg movie.

Tommy
10-29-2020, 01:50 PM
Late to the game this year because my October has been terrible but showed Hush to my friend, second time watching it and still really good.

Last night, during a tropical storm no less, watched Demons and can we please have more movies with people on motorcycles riding through movie theaters hacking demons up with a samurai sword please? Probably my tenth time seeing it since childhood, such a fun movie.

Then I watched Tenebrae again. Argento rules!

Ricky
10-30-2020, 02:03 PM
Anyone have any movies (or any other cool Halloween things) lined up for the big day tomorrow? I decided not to put out my big pumpkin display this year or give out candy, so I'm kind of bummed about that. But movie-watching and dessert face-stuffing should make up for it. :)

mae
10-30-2020, 02:06 PM
The Witches on HBO Max!

Heather19
10-30-2020, 03:59 PM
No plans here other than staying in and watching Halloween. After our first snowstorm today, I think tomorrow is supposed to be nice. Might go for a drive and pick up another pumpkin to carve, and roast some more seeds. Also picked up stuff to make pumpkin banana bread tomorrow morning. And I'll probably spend some time reading Rosemary's Baby :D

Ricky
10-30-2020, 05:28 PM
First...snowstorm?! What the hell? :lol: Is that normal for you guys up there this early?

Also, that sounds like an amazing day. I'll be over at 12 for banana bread. :lol: I think I might carve a pumpkin also. And I got a recipe for apple cider that I think I'm gonna try tomorrow.

Heather19
10-30-2020, 05:52 PM
Well thankfully it wasn't much, we only got maybe 2" but its about all gone now. 9 years ago we got hit with a massive snowstorm a few days before Halloween, took down trees and wires. I think we were without power for almost a week. It was horrible. Thankfully this wasn't bad.

Good luck on the apple cider. I made some for the first time the other week. I followed a recipe but it came out super spicy. I think it was a tablespoon of cloves which was way too much. I'd recommend going easy on the spices as you simmer it and then adding more later on if needed. I also made pumpkin pie for the very first time earlier this week and that came out delicious. I just finished it up tonight but I'm already ready to make another one :lol:

Ricky
10-30-2020, 06:01 PM
I think two inches is more than we got all of last year. Haha. But a massive storm this early in the season would've been awful for sure. And who the hell is ready to enjoy snow in October? :lol:

Yeah, a whole tablespoon of cloves does sound like a lot. I'm not a big fan of adding 'em into things (unless it's mixed in with other warm spices) so I think I'm just going to do cinnamon and maybe some allspice. I'll let you know how it turns out. I've also been on a pumpkin baking kick as well. Last weekend I made a pumpkin dump cake (the bottom layer is like a pumpkin pie, the top is kind of like a cake-y crumble) and fried up some pumpkin donut holes. They were good but not as good as Dunkin's. :D

Heather19
10-30-2020, 06:19 PM
Sounds delicious! I haven't had DD's pumpkin donuts this year :( I did get some pumpkin donuts from a local orchard but they were just ok.

Ricky
10-31-2020, 07:44 AM
Sounds delicious! I haven't had DD's pumpkin donuts this year :(

Who are you and what have you done with Heather?!

My brain...does...not...compute. Can't...process...

Tommy
10-31-2020, 08:52 AM
His House on Netflix is messing with me right now, great use of light and dark and a very spooky story, I can dig it!

Heather19
10-31-2020, 10:59 AM
Sounds delicious! I haven't had DD's pumpkin donuts this year :(

Who are you and what have you done with Heather?!

My brain...does...not...compute. Can't...process...

Damn covid. But on the plus side its turning me into a baker. Apple cider, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin bread just went in the oven. Also Hocus Pocus is about to start so I'm in full Autumn/Halloween mode right now :D

Heather19
10-31-2020, 11:00 AM
His House on Netflix is messing with me right now, great use of light and dark and a very spooky story, I can dig it!

Sounds good, will have to check it out.

Ricky
10-31-2020, 11:24 AM

I've heard good things about this but the trailer didn't grab me for some reason. So I should watch it?

Damn covid. But on the plus side its turning me into a baker. Apple cider, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin bread just went in the oven. Also Hocus Pocus is about to start so I'm in full Autumn/Halloween mode right now :D

That's a big plus side, I'd say!

And I just finished up my apple cider and it turned out amazing! I did maybe 1.5 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of dried cloves and that was plenty. I think I did 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I even made apple sauce from the broken down apples afterwards. :)

Oh! And I listened to that Elvira podcast, too.

Heather19
11-01-2020, 04:49 AM
So glad yours came out well. And maybe I'm not a baker after all, the pumpkin bread was a bust. I followed a recipe for banana and pumpkin which said to cook for 40 min, well 40 min it was still very wet inside, so I let it cook and cook and cook. About an hour and a half goes by, the top is cooked but the inside was still not. I pulled it out thinking maybe it would firm up, which it did, but it also completely deflated and when I cut into it it still seems as if its not fully cooked. I have no idea who wrote this recipe but they were way off.

In other news we ended up watching Psycho last night :D

Tommy
11-01-2020, 08:10 AM

I've heard good things about this but the trailer didn't grab me for some reason. So I should watch it?

I'm not sure of your specific tastes and I try to avoid trailers for horror films since they give stuff away but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't know if that helps or not....

kingfan2323
11-01-2020, 09:59 AM
Watched original and 2018 Halloween movies last night. What a treat!

Ricky
11-01-2020, 11:30 AM
So glad yours came out well. And maybe I'm not a baker after all, the pumpkin bread was a bust. I followed a recipe for banana and pumpkin which said to cook for 40 min, well 40 min it was still very wet inside, so I let it cook and cook and cook. About an hour and a half goes by, the top is cooked but the inside was still not. I pulled it out thinking maybe it would firm up, which it did, but it also completely deflated and when I cut into it it still seems as if its not fully cooked. I have no idea who wrote this recipe but they were way off.

Aw, bummer. Sorry it didn't turn out like you wanted. I use my grandma's pumpkin bread recipe and it's the best I've had (and super easy to make). I'll have to send it to you.

Watched original and 2018 Halloween movies last night. What a treat!

That's cool to do them back-to-back like that. I haven't seen them this year. There's too much to watch! :panic:

Heather19
11-01-2020, 04:35 PM

Aw, bummer. Sorry it didn't turn out like you wanted. I use my grandma's pumpkin bread recipe and it's the best I've had (and super easy to make). I'll have to send it to you.

Yes please! I need to redeem myself :lol:

mattgreenbean
11-02-2020, 12:20 PM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = ok
$$$ = good
$$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 Tusk $$$$
Oct 2 White Noise * $$$
Oct 3 The Forest * $$
Oct 6 Dream Cruise $$$
Oct 7 Shrooms $$$
Oct 8 Sinister $$$$
Oct 12 Wishmaster * $$$
Oct 14 Haxan * $
Oct 16 The Grudge * $$$
Oct 17 Casper $$$
Oct 21 Death House * $$
Oct 24 Vampire Hunter D * $$
Oct 24 Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust * $$
Oct 25 Unfriended * $$
Oct 26 Evil Dead II $$$
Oct 27 Friday The 13th V: The New Beginning * $$$
Oct 28 Highway to Hell * $$$
Oct 28 Body Melt * $$$
Oct 29 Wounds * $$$
Oct 30 The Cell 2 * $$
Oct 30 The Conjuring 2 $$$$
Oct 31 The Cabin In The Woods $$$$
Nov 01 Hubie Halloween * $$$

Oct 29 Wounds * $$$ Weird and at points disturbing.

Oct 30 The Cell 2 * $$ Not as much horror as the first, or even much of a sequel. But for a cheap rehash, it wasn't bad.

Oct 30 The Conjuring 2 $$$$ A lot of creepy "monsters" makes this one top of my list.

Oct 31 The Cabin In The Woods $$$$ The whole thing craftily uses horror tropes to create a unique movie.

Nov 01 Hubie Halloween * $$$ You'd have to know the Happy Madison movies to get many of the jokes. Kind of like the Goosebumps movies. But I do, and I enjoyed it.

This year, I tried watching as many Horror movies that I hadn't seen before. I watch Horror all year long anyways, so using this month the find some new favorites was nice. There's one more that I'd like to watch that was suggested by y'all, The Autopsy of Jane Doe. I also started the Haunting of Bly Manor. After 5 episodes, I'm not digging it as much as Hill House.

Other movies I watched that weren't Horror, The Mandela Effect, 1917, The Current War, Toys in The Attic, The Empire Strikes Back, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Today I'm watching a Fan edit of the Hobbit trilogy where the person trimmed it down to a single 4.5 hr version.

Thanks for the thread!

Ricky
11-02-2020, 03:01 PM
Oct 30 The Conjuring 2 $$$$ A lot of creepy "monsters" makes this one top of my list.

I also started the Haunting of Bly Manor. After 5 episodes, I'm not digging it as much as Hill House.

I really enjoyed The Conjuring 2. More than the first one for sure.

And I feel the same way you do about Bly Manor. I've got two episodes left but haven't really been liking it as much as Hill House. It's very slow.

Girlystevedave
11-04-2020, 02:10 PM

That's so frustrating when you follow a recipe and it doesn't turn out right. But when you said you cut into it and it deflated, all I could think of was the turkey in National Lampoon's Christmas. :lol:

Heather19
11-04-2020, 02:47 PM
:rofl: I think that turkey probably tasted better than the pumpkin bread. On the plus side I've discovered that I make a really good pumpkin pie, so I might just make one for desert every week. Is that too much? :D

Ricky
11-04-2020, 03:19 PM
But when you said you cut into it and it deflated, all I could think of was the turkey in National Lampoon's Christmas. :lol:

:rofl:

I make a really good pumpkin pie, so I might just make one for desert every week. Is that too much? :D

No! It's practically a vegetable. :lol:

Girlystevedave
11-06-2020, 01:42 PM
:rofl: I think that turkey probably tasted better than the pumpkin bread. On the plus side I've discovered that I make a really good pumpkin pie, so I might just make one for desert every week. Is that too much? :D

One dessert a week is NEVER too much, Heather. And if anyone tells you differently, you kick them out of your life. :D

I make a really good pumpkin pie, so I might just make one for desert every week. Is that too much? :D

No! It's practically a vegetable. :lol:

I second that!

Heather19
11-07-2020, 01:18 PM
I'm gonna make another one tonight :D

Ricky
11-07-2020, 01:27 PM
And hand-deliver us all a slice, right? Right? :D

Girlystevedave
09-23-2022, 11:40 AM
I thought I was in the wrong thread for a minute because of all the dessert posts. :rofl:

Ricky
09-23-2022, 02:14 PM
Damn, now I want pumpkin pie. :lol:

Girlystevedave
09-26-2022, 09:23 AM
Haha. I think Heather should bake another one and bring us slices. :lol:

Heather19
09-27-2022, 03:39 AM
:lol: I was just thinking when I saw this thread that I've been slacking and really need to start baking some pumpkin pies.

Ricky
09-27-2022, 03:18 PM
I love that we resurrected a two-year-old movie thread to talk about pie. :rofl:

Girlystevedave
09-28-2022, 09:22 AM
:lol: I was just thinking when I saw this thread that I've been slacking and really need to start baking some pumpkin pies.

Haha. Yeah! Get to baking, Heather. :lol:
Hey, have you ever had Biscoff cookies? I've been thinking of wanting to make a Biscoff cookie crust and I think a pumpkin pie would be amazing with that crust.

I love that we resurrected a two-year-old movie thread to talk about pie. :rofl:

:rofl:
What's even funnier is that I went months without even logging on to the site, but popped my head in here like: "Is somebody talking about pie? Well, we should be." :lol:

Ricky
09-28-2022, 03:14 PM
Hey, have you ever had Biscoff cookies? I've been thinking of wanting to make a Biscoff cookie crust and I think a pumpkin pie would be amazing with that crust.

You and the Biscoff! :rofl:

Girlystevedave
09-28-2022, 05:51 PM
:rofl: Look, I need someone to weigh in on this Biscoff crust thing.
I’m gonna go post about it in all the threads…The donut thread, the In My Mind Right Now thread, the movie competition thread. :lol:

Ricky
09-29-2022, 04:06 PM
Oh man. Haha. I imagine you then be thought of as that weird forum member who only posts about cookies and pie crusts. :rofl:

Girlystevedave
09-29-2022, 05:33 PM
Haha. Like that’s a bad thing! :rofl:

Heather19
10-06-2022, 07:10 AM
Do it Amanda! I've never had them, but it sounds like it would be good with it. I always make mine with a graham cracker crust :D

Girlystevedave
10-08-2022, 06:29 AM
Mmmm, graham cracker crust has to be good with pumpkin pie.