PDA

View Full Version : The Talisman Lettered and "of 70" Presentation Copies; How Many Total Were Produced?

George at C-Springs
09-15-2020, 04:17 PM
The Catalog is incomplete, so let's try and remedy that!

The total quantity of The Talisman Lettered and "of 70" Presentation Copies is unknown. Is it a combination of numbers and letters adding up to 70? Is it 26 Letters and 1 to 70 Numbered? Is it some other combination? As of 22 Sep 20 the highest letter is Y and number is 70. If you've got a copy, please drop a note here and we'll add it in.

17 - willie3
23 - needfulthing
24 - shaq
28 - Johnny007
31 - DoctorZaius
33 - superpm
64 - Robert's Bookshop (non-TDT.org)
65 - Shows on WorthPoint as previously sold; owner unknown
70 - amb013

G - amd013
I (Inscribed "To Michael Till, with best regards, Donald M. Grant) - NECON-Man
R - Johnny007
T - Mr. Rabbit Trick
Y - wizardsrainbow

PC - For sale on lwcurrey.com 22 Mar 2021

webstar1000
09-15-2020, 04:29 PM
64/70 has been for sale forever on line. Too high price I guess.

George at C-Springs
09-15-2020, 04:33 PM
amd013 - I have copies 70 and G. So I know there were 70 of the numbered lettered. But I still am not convinced there were actually 70 of the Lettered lettered. I haven't heard of any double lettered Letters so maybe the "lettered" variation is rarer, so I would say that the ones with the actual Letter would be more desirable. Not sure how that would effect the value.

Johnny007 - Letter R and number 28 of 70. John

shaq - I have number 24 of 70. Bought from David

willie3 - I own #17 of 70

George at C-Springs
09-15-2020, 04:53 PM
64/70 has been for sale forever on line. Too high price I guess.

Added that one, thanks. I also see that Copper Dragon has a copy, but the number is not annotated.

namelessnpoor
09-15-2020, 05:12 PM
Added that one, thanks. I also see that Copper Dragon has a copy, but the number is not annotated.

Little side note...Copper Dragon Books won't tell you the number or letter. Just saving you some time in case you were considering emailing them. I have sent him several messages asking for the numbers of his books for sale and he refuses to tell you.
Not sure why.
His comment to me about trying to find certain numbers was...Your chasing a ghost.

Randall Flagg
09-15-2020, 06:28 PM

Little side note...Copper Dragon Books won't tell you the number or letter. Just saving you some time in case you were considering emailing them. I have sent him several messages asking for the numbers of his books for sale and he refuses to tell you.
Not sure why.
His comment to me about trying to find certain numbers was...Your chasing a ghost.

Copper Dragon Books is a fraud. STAY away from him.

webstar1000
09-16-2020, 03:30 AM
Added that one, thanks. I also see that Copper Dragon has a copy, but the number is not annotated.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why.
His comment to me about trying to find certain numbers was...Your chasing a ghost.[/QUOTE]

He showed me. It looks like hen scratches where the number / letter should be. It says REVIEW.

superpm
09-16-2020, 05:02 AM
33 of 70
290 of 1200

The Catalog is incomplete, so let's try and remedy that!

The total quantity of The Talisman Lettered and "of 70" Presentation Copies is unknown. Is it a combination of numbers and letters adding up to 70? Is it 26 Letters and 1 to 70 Numbered? Is it some other combination? As of 15 Sep 20 the highest letter is T and number is 70. If you've got a copy, please drop a note here and we'll add it in.

17 - willie3
23 - needfulthing
24 - shaq
28 - Johnny007
64 - Robert's Bookshop (non-TDT.org)
70 - amb013

G - amb013
R - Johnny007
T - Mr. Rabbit Trick

George at C-Springs
09-16-2020, 10:45 AM
Thank you!

amd013
09-16-2020, 11:21 AM
My vanity just took a hit. You misspelled my username in the list. :P

DoctorZaius
09-16-2020, 12:45 PM
I have #31, with four remarques, one in each volume by Maitz and Berry.

George at C-Springs
09-16-2020, 01:41 PM
My vanity just took a hit. You misspelled my username in the list.

A thousand pardons, error corrected.

I have #31, with four remarques, one in each volume by Maitz and Berry.

Thank you, list updated.

George at C-Springs
09-22-2020, 06:41 PM
Bump .... only 11 copies accounted for so far, with highest letter being T. We've confirmed numbers to 70, now are really looking to confirm highest letter!

Help us Correct the Catalog! :catalogfriend:

wizardsrainbow
09-22-2020, 06:49 PM
I have letter Y

George at C-Springs
09-22-2020, 07:27 PM
I have letter Y

Thank you David ... I wasn't expecting that! That would certainly seem to imply that there was a Letter Z, so now the big question is were there any double letters produced (but first we need confirmation on that Z!)

webstar1000
09-23-2020, 06:15 AM
Damm I would love to find one of these lettereds~!

George at C-Springs
03-21-2021, 01:12 PM
Bump; any updates?

George at C-Springs
03-22-2021, 07:05 PM
Added #65 (appearing on WorthPoint as previously sold, no further info) and a Publisher's Copy currently for sale by L.W. Currey here https://www.lwcurrey.com/pages/books/105277/stephen-king-peter-straub/the-talisman if interested, $1500.

Thanks to Alec for dropping me the info!

webstar1000
03-23-2021, 03:35 AM
Added #65 (appearing on WorthPoint as previously sold, no further info) and a Publisher's Copy currently for sale by L.W. Currey here https://www.lwcurrey.com/pages/books/105277/stephen-king-peter-straub/the-talisman if interested, $1500.

Thanks to Alec for dropping me the info!

I’ve looked at this and it’s in very dirty condition. I would pass at this price

Dolso
03-24-2021, 06:36 AM
Don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for but I sold 'BB' quite some time ago. Don't remember if it was Presentation, Lettered or just what. Don't recall who bought it....If that helps?

Edit - that was #33 (they were odd looking '3's) not 'BB'. Must be 'old man memory'! That one is already accounted for.

George at C-Springs
03-27-2021, 08:22 PM
Don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for but I sold 'BB' quite some time ago.

Edit - that was #33 (they were odd looking '3's) not 'BB'.

Dick, you made my heart skip a beat as no double letters have ever been reported! Dammit!

Merlin1958
03-28-2021, 02:17 PM
Don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for but I sold 'BB' quite some time ago.

Edit - that was #33 (they were odd looking '3's) not 'BB'.

Dick, you made my heart skip a beat as no double letters have ever been reported! Dammit!

Hobbit-Motherfucker should have sold it to me instead of having me sell it for him!!!! Ahhh, but what you gonna do when the "Hobbit-Motherfucker" is a dear friend of us "Ent type-Motherfuckers"? Did I tell you he made me a "Firestarter" wooden case, set it on fire and then "pissed on it" to put it out? You know you have a great friend when he'll piss on your stuff as a term of endearment. Am I right? lol lol

Little fucker owes me a call too!! lol lol Make no mistake, girls and boys, "Dolso" is, was and will continue to be, "Da Wood Man" in the King Collecting Universe!!!! He's a bonafide legend around here creating many awesome, craftmanship-rich wooden slip/tray cases and ultimately integrating both with original art to create several "Limited Series", King cases with books. Truly an example of good things coming in small (and short) packages. Real shame he doesn't come around here as often as he once did, but things change and the world moves on.

Dolso, crafted two extremely remarkable cases for me in particular that I love to death. One for my collectible UK early editions of "The Lord of the Rings" and the other for my UK early edition of "The Hobbit". Both were inscribed with classic phrases from the books and "aged" with chains and various material to appear as if they had been transported through ancient sea voyage to the "New World". JMHO, but really original and amazing pieces of good old "American Craftsmanship". You can see some lame pics of these cases and books in my collection thread if you should have the inclining.

Sadly, Dick has retired from crafting cases, but there is the off possibility that he could be cajoled into doing additional work for the right project and price. Otherwise, very sadly, that is something from the "King Collecting Past". However, you may be able to find his work listed on "E-Bay" evry now and then.

My apologies if I may seemingly have "Hi-jacked' the thread it just hit a memory nerve and I shared. Please, just move on with relevant content.

NECON-Man
06-04-2021, 12:06 PM
George I have Letter I with an inscription from Don Grant. I had posted a picture with my Gunslinger set

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1622838392-Talisman%20letter%20I.jpg

George at C-Springs
06-04-2021, 12:36 PM
Awesome; Master List updated!

shaq
06-04-2021, 12:42 PM
That is awesome. Not seen one of them before.

Necon man. I suspect you have a killer collection.

webstar1000
11-29-2022, 06:44 AM
ONE of only three lettereds I am missing:(

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-01-2022, 06:45 AM
http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/talisman_6.jpg

You don't see any for sale that often. Hard to come by.