PDA

View Full Version : Lovecraft Country on HBO

fernandito
08-10-2020, 06:43 AM
Wow. Stellar reviews and %100 on RT. Looks like this show is off to an amazing start. Anyone else planning on catching this?

LOVECRAFT COUNTRY FIRST REVIEWS: CRITICS RAVE ABOUT HBO'S 'SPELLBINDING' NEW MONSTER SERIES (https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/lovecraft-country-season-1-first-reviews/)

MikeDuke
08-10-2020, 08:41 AM
Looks like it's taking the Perry Mason spot. Yep, I am going to give it a go.

St. Troy
08-11-2020, 08:22 AM
I'll be checking it out.

Ricky
08-17-2020, 02:50 PM
Someone tell me if this is worth it. I don't want to start a new series that's just OK and feel compelled to finish it.

Kingfan24
08-17-2020, 02:57 PM
First episode was so-so. Okay character setup and intro. Can’t tell if the universe that this show takes place in is some sort of story book or what but it feels a little contrived that “things from Lovecraft books are real, and the books themselves exist in the same world.”

Still Servant
08-17-2020, 03:01 PM
I'm intrigued and will be sticking with it for a few more episodes. I like Winter, who I think is going to be the next big thing. I've liked Jurnee Smollett since I saw her on Full House when I was a kid.

Kingfan24
08-17-2020, 03:15 PM
I'm intrigued and will be sticking with it for a few more episodes. I like Winter, who I think is going to be the next big thing. I've liked Jurnee Smollett since I saw her on Full House when I was a kid.

As long as jurnee doesn’t fake a hate crime to try to remain relevant I’ll stay a fan of her. She seems like a good actress.

St. Troy
08-21-2020, 06:12 AM
As long as jurnee doesn’t fake a hate crime to try to remain relevant I’ll stay a fan of her.

:emot-roflolmao:

St. Troy
08-21-2020, 06:47 AM
I enjoyed the first episode.

More detailed thoughts:

I was surprised that somehow Lovecraft's books are books within this universe, but so (apparently) are the things he wrote about

...but this doesn't bother me.

I was also surprised that we had full-on, balls-to-the-wall monsters running amok in the first episode; I expected atmospheric build-up to last at least an episode or two before we saw anything like this.

Also: those trousers...

Kingfan24
08-24-2020, 06:51 AM
Man... episode 2 was a jumbled mess compared to episode 1.

Merlin1958
08-24-2020, 05:49 PM
On the fence so far. I had high hopes going in.

Still Servant
08-25-2020, 05:56 PM
Man... episode 2 was a jumbled mess compared to episode 1.

Yeah, I felt like they could have really stretched out some of the stuff that was going on there for another episode or two. I'm intrigued enough to see it through.

webstar1000
08-26-2020, 03:12 PM
What did I just watch? Liked the first episode... but second was WAY out there for me. Not sure what I even seen.

Ben Eads
08-29-2020, 05:43 AM
Can't wait to check it out!

Still Servant
08-31-2020, 02:50 PM
If I didn't know any better, I would have thought this was an anthology series using the same characters. Until the final moments of episode 3, it felt like a completely different show than the first 2 episodes. I'm now unclear about the format, but I will see it through to the end.

St. Troy
09-08-2020, 10:41 AM
I liked the first episode, although some things had me scratching my head. I got about 15 - 20 minutes into the hokey bullshit that was the second episode before me (and my family) decided we'd seen enough.

I'm really going to miss watching (quickly checks IMDB) Jurnee (at least I still have Shiv on Succession - but I'd really like to have both).

Still Servant
09-08-2020, 03:33 PM
I liked the first episode, although some things had me scratching my head. I got about 15 - 20 minutes into the hokey bullshit that was the second episode before me (and my family) decided we'd seen enough.

I'm really going to miss watching (quickly checks IMDB) Jurnee (at least I still have Shiv on Succession - but I'd really like to have both).

I don't blame you. The show has kind of gone off the rails. The last episode was a clear Indiana Jones/Goonies ripoff.

I will keep watching to see what kind of pants Jurnee is wearing.

webstar1000
09-14-2020, 05:02 AM
Ok, I cannot keep going with this... anyone else wondering WTF is the point here?

Merlin1958
09-14-2020, 05:38 AM
Ok, I cannot keep going with this... anyone else wondering WTF is the point here?

Yeah. It's like this show can't seem to figure out what it is about. Is it about social commentary? A horror story? And what about perhaps the most intricate mythology I've ever seen? This last episode finally included the "Gay" experience like out of nowhere. Where is this going next?

I'm about to just give up trying.

webstar1000
09-14-2020, 05:40 AM

Yeah. It's like this show can't seem to figure out what it is about. Is it about social commentary? A horror story? And what about perhaps the most intricate mythology I've ever seen? This last episode finally included the "Gay" experience like out of nowhere. Where is this going next?

I'm about to just give up trying.

Yeah I really loved the first episode too. But damm.... this is off the walls for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still Servant
09-14-2020, 04:57 PM
It's been a long time since I've seen a show drop in quality from the pilot as drastically as Lovecraft Country has. It's a shame because I thought the show had a lot of potential.

I wish there were some people here who have read the book. I'd be interested to hear their take.

Heather19
09-15-2020, 03:49 AM
I watched the first 3 episodes, and part of the 4th. I enjoyed the first one, the second one was a bit crazy and seemed to wrap up everything from the first episode, and then episode 3 felt like a completely different show from the first two. I just might give up on it. This show is a bit too crazy even for me. It seems to be all over the place.

Ricky
09-15-2020, 02:33 PM
Man, now I want to check it out to see how nuts it is. :lol:

Glad I didn't start it or I would've been compelled to finish it.

Still Servant
09-15-2020, 03:13 PM
It's a complete trainwreck at this point. I'm blaming poor producing.

Heather19
09-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Yeah, its just a jumbled mess. I feel like they need to pick one thing and go with that. I did hear positive things about the most recent episode, so maybe I'll try to watch a few more with the hopes it gets better.

MikeDuke
09-16-2020, 12:40 PM
HBO shows are what 8-10 episodes a season? I might as well finish it up. If it gets dropped, oh well. But it is all over the place and I think they don't know
what to do sometimes so they just through in a shock scene or two. But I will at least finish the season.

Still Servant
09-16-2020, 04:19 PM
HBO shows are what 8-10 episodes a season? I might as well finish it up. If it gets dropped, oh well. But it is all over the place and I think they don't know
what to do sometimes so they just through in a shock scene or two. But I will at least finish the season.

Yeah, I'm the same way when it comes to shows like that. There aren't that many episodes left. It's just not one of the shows I will give my undivided attention to.

Still Servant
09-23-2020, 05:06 PM
what the fuck

webstar1000
09-23-2020, 05:07 PM
what the fuck

I stopped after the 3rd. It’s trash...

Merlin1958
09-24-2020, 01:59 AM
what the fuck

I stopped after the 3rd. It’s trash...

And usually, HBO is money in the bank on new shows. Can't remember one that failed this miserably. 'Course the reviews and news snippets are still glowing. Likely cause they can't quite figure out what they're watching!! lol lol

RUBE
09-30-2020, 08:37 PM
what the fuck

I assume this is from when you watched the Kumiho episode, it did seem like a weird live-action anime at first. Some have griped that this almost seems like an anthology series due to how each episode has such a different tone and goes on different tangents. Well apparently this is what the book did as well. I read that it had eight different stories each representing a different kind of horror that ended up all tying together. Let's hope the show can find a way to successfully do that.

Heather19
10-01-2020, 03:29 AM
what the fuck

I assume this is from when you watched the Kumiho episode, it did seem like a weird live-action anime at first. Some have griped that this almost seems like an anthology series due to how each episode has such a different tone and goes on different tangents. Well apparently this is what the book did as well. I read that it had eight different stories each representing a different kind of horror that ended up all tying together. Let's hope the show can find a way to successfully do that.

Interesting, I was curious what the book was like since the show seemed to be all over the place.

For those that have kept up with it, is it worth continuing? I think I've only seen the first 3 or 4 episodes.

Still Servant
10-01-2020, 04:34 PM
what the fuck

Yes. I guess part of my frustration with the show is that I didn't know it was going to be formatted that way. I really enjoyed those first two episodes and was looking forward to seeing that thread continue on.

That episode was actually really good. Fucked up, but really good. It just felt so different in tone. The most recent episode was a real miss for me too. Trying to be like the Twilight Zone is really hard. It's not easy to have an engaging story with interesting characters all in one hour.

I applaud the show for trying something different, but by in large, it's been a failure.

Merlin1958
10-01-2020, 04:48 PM
what the fuck

So, the book also employs the overt racism the show does? Where all whites are evil and all African Americans noble and little or no in between? To me the overt reverse racism is a turn off much the saame as if it purported all whites to be noble and African Americans to be evil. Reality is loads of shades of gray IMHO

RUBE
10-01-2020, 05:53 PM
I haven't read the book but based on the Wiki page for it those themes of American racism are a big part of the book. Take a look at the book cover:

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1426364617i/25142937._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

Mattrick
10-01-2020, 10:15 PM
I saw one episode and that was more than enough for me.

Merlin1958
10-01-2020, 10:25 PM
I haven't read the book but based on the Wiki page for it those themes of American racism are a big part of the book. Take a look at the book cover:

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1426364617i/25142937._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

The racial overtones it exhibits seem counter productive and exactly the kind of hate they are trying to eliminate. Then what do I know. For me its a rare miss for HBO. I haven't found anything but the occasional imagery to be redeeming or interesting. Sucks, I had such high hopes.

Still Servant
10-05-2020, 06:08 PM
I'd prefer if this was an anthology at this point. The skipping around feels jarring.