PDA

View Full Version : Dusting books

herbertwest
06-28-2020, 03:32 AM
How often do you brush the dust of your bookshelves?
Any tips?

herbertwest
06-28-2020, 03:33 AM
My wife has been nagging me about dusting my shelves since a few months now.
I soooo cannot be bothered with it :)

Garrell
06-28-2020, 04:28 AM
That is why I bought enclosed bookcases

kingfan2323
06-28-2020, 08:00 AM
Love doing it. I take my time and as I go a long I pick books, have a seat and flip through the book, enjoy it, dust it, put it back.

May take several days.

Quick tip. If you have a book with no slip case lightly brush the text block in one direction AWAY from the binding so you do not push dust into it.

seeking: anything DT related #246

Hunchback Jack
06-28-2020, 12:05 PM
I give the shelves a quick dust or wipe once every couple of months, I would guess. If I take a book out, or put one back in, and noticed the shelf looks dusty, I’ll give it a quick wipe over.

Ricky
06-28-2020, 02:38 PM
If it's a shelf and not an enclosed case, I'll take the books off the shelf, wipe the shelf, and just lightly blow the dust off the books' top into a trashcan. I don't use a brush or anything for fear of getting dust particles inside the pages. I do this maybe once or twice a year.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-28-2020, 06:15 PM
I dust the shelves themselves once a month (used to be every 2 weeks, but I'm too old and lazy to do that now), and every time I have a major book movement (not a bowel) I take the books in hand to an open window and blow the dust off the tops. I used to put plastic sheeting on top of my paperback books (I had a huge roll from peanut packaging I used), but I do not do that anymore, too much trouble.

As Ricky above said, this happens once or twice a year, sometimes longer.

Curly
06-28-2020, 11:01 PM
All my books are in slipcases and behind glass, so never.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-29-2020, 04:23 AM
Even objects behind glass gather dust, unless they are hermetically sealed, I guess.
I find I have to dust my glass shelves in my curio cabinets about once a year, when I trace my finger along them and can see the path it makes. A tedious project, unless I am in a good mood.