PDA

View Full Version : Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Pages : [1] 2

mae
04-13-2020, 10:46 AM
I feel like we should have a Dune thread. It's probably going to be the biggest movie of the year, and it's only part one of an epic, plus there will be an HBO spinoff series. So...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/a-first-look-at-timothee-chalamet-in-dune

The first step of a hero’s journey sometimes begins with a push.

At the start of Frank Herbert’s science fiction epic Dune, the young royal Paul Atreides prepares to leave the comfortable life he knows for a desolate, dangerous mining planet known as Arrakis, where his wealthy family will oversee extraction of a spice vital to the galaxy.

If he only knew the chaos and death that awaited him, he might be even more sorry to leave.

This is the first look at Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides on his native planet of Caladan from this December’s film version of the novel, directed by Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 filmmaker Denis Villeneuve. The 1965 book was so seismic in its influence that its echoes still turn up in sci-fi and fantasy storytelling half a century later. Still, it has stubbornly defied appropriate adaptation itself.

Tomorrow, Vanity Fair will provide an even more expansive exploration of Villeneuve’s quest to bring Dune to the screen, but today we begin with the central hero: Paul Atreides, a child of privilege raised by a powerful family, but not one strong enough to protect him from the dangers that await.

As the Atreides family leaves the oceanic world of Caladan to take over scorching Arrakis, they are also becoming prey to the brutal rival House Harkonnen, which seeks to exploit the desert world they are about to inherit. House Atreides is just one more part of the landscape to annihilate.

“The immediately appealing thing about Paul was the fact that in a story of such detail and scale and world-building, the protagonist is on an anti-hero’s-journey of sorts,” Chalamet said.

In other words, he’s not dreaming of adventure. He’s resisting it. Afraid of it.

“He thinks he’s going to be sort of a young general studying his father and his leadership of a fighting force before he comes of age, hopefully a decade later, or something like that.” Chalamet said. But fate has a different timetable for him. And he may possess powers even his trainers could not anticipate.

In the shot above, the transport ships descend to take the Atreides leadership to their new destination. At this point, Paul is being taught the ways of war by a veteran soldier named Gurney Halleck, played by Josh Brolin. Paul’s parents, Duke Leto and Lady Jessica Atreides (Oscar Isaac and Rebecca Ferguson), must not only manage the spice mining on Arrakis—but also the politics at play in the broader galaxy.

Beyond the fortifications on Arrakis, giant carnivorous sandworms rule the landscape, while a tribe of indigenous humans known as Fremen, led by Javier Bardem’s Stilgar, somehow survive in the crevices, fearful that their world is about to be turned inside out by those they see as invaders.

Dune, still set to open on December 18, is one of the blockbusters that hasn’t yet shifted back due to the coronavirus outbreak. “Dune was made by people from all over the world. Many of these people are like family to me, and they’re very much in my thoughts,” Villeneuve said. “I’m so proud to showcase their hard work. I look forward to a time when we can all get together again as Dune was made to be seen on the big screen.”

For more on Dune, see Vanity Fair on Tuesday.

https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/5e90d6ed52ad2c00089f508f/master/w_2560%2Cc_limit/0520-Dune-Timothee-Solo-Lede.jpg

kingfan2323
04-13-2020, 11:02 AM
Was wondering why this had not hit our forum yet. This dude can direct too.
Bladerunner 2049
Prisoners
Arrival
Enemy
Sicario

His early film Incendies is excellent as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MikeDuke
04-13-2020, 11:10 AM
I have not read the Dune saga but have heard great things about it. Isn't it more than one book? I wonder if it will be more than just one movie and one season on HBO. I am interested in this a lot.

mae
04-13-2020, 11:11 AM
His other earlier film Polytechnique is really great as well, so well done and disturbing. And I think his first film, or one of, is August 32nd on Earth, and it's very good too.

WeDealInLead
04-13-2020, 11:32 AM
Very exciting!

Hunchback Jack
04-13-2020, 11:34 AM
I have not read the Dune saga but have heard great things about it. Isn't it more than one book? I wonder if it will be more than just one movie and one season on HBO. I am interested in this a lot.

I have the same question; I heard the movie only covers the first half of the book. Is that true? Will there be a second movie, or is there a minseries to complete the first book.

(And Mike, yes, there are six books in the series, although they could be filmed as separate "arcs". The first three form one arc, volume 4 stands on its own, and the last two are closely linked. There was to be a 7th, but it was never written).

HBJ

MikeDuke
04-13-2020, 11:40 AM
Thanks Peter. I am interested to see how this plays out.

mae
04-13-2020, 11:43 AM
From my understanding this upcoming film is the first half of the first novel, and there will be a second film. Whether they keep going I suppose depends on its success and if they want to keep going. The HBO series is not directly based on the Dune books, but I could be mistaken: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/dune-series-bene-gesserit-warnermedia-streaming-service-1203238799/

MikeDuke
04-13-2020, 11:55 AM
Thanks Mae. So the movies will be from the books and the HBO series is set in "the Universe of Dune". I like the casting that was already announced for the film. I don't know them all but I know enough to say that
they are taking this seriously.

Merlin1958
04-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Cautiously optimistic for this version.

Hunchback Jack
04-13-2020, 01:14 PM
From my understanding this upcoming film is the first half of the first novel, and there will be a second film. Whether they keep going I suppose depends on its success and if they want to keep going. The HBO series is not directly based on the Dune books, but I could be mistaken: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/dune-series-bene-gesserit-warnermedia-streaming-service-1203238799/

Oh, thanks, Mae. That's right - I'd forgotten that the miniseries was a spin-off from the main novel sequence, about the Bene Gesserit sisterhood. It's not adapting Frank Herbert's work, and therefore less interesting, in my opinion.

It would be interesting to see the later novels - God Emperor of Dune, for example - be given a miniseries treatment, although any visual medium for these books is pretty challenging.

HBJ

fernandito
04-13-2020, 01:17 PM
With Vileneuve involved, there is no doubt in my mind this is going to be a slam dunk. Dude was born for this kind of large scale sci-fi epic.

Can't wait!

mae
04-13-2020, 01:49 PM
That's right - I'd forgotten that the miniseries was a spin-off from the main novel sequence, about the Bene Gesserit sisterhood. It's not adapting Frank Herbert's work, and therefore less interesting, in my opinion.

True, but Villeneuve is directing it too, so I'm very excited for it too!

Hunchback Jack
04-13-2020, 02:45 PM
That’s promising, but the series will stand or fall on its writing. I am skeptical they will be able to do the original material justice - or show the necessary restraint. The Bene Gesserit cannot mind read, do magic, or fight like Black Widow.

frik
04-13-2020, 11:37 PM
I have not read the Dune saga but have heard great things about it. Isn't it more than one book?

http://www.howtoread.me/dune-reading-order/

sk

MikeDuke
04-14-2020, 05:11 AM
I have not read the Dune saga but have heard great things about it. Isn't it more than one book?

sk
Thanks. It's looks like a complex and involved story. I wonder how much of it they will really try and put on the screen.

Hunchback Jack
04-14-2020, 10:03 AM

sk

Personally, I would recommend reading the six books by Frank Herbert, in the order stated, and ignoring the rest.

I mean, okay, try the others if you like, but understand that they are someone else's extrapolation of Frank's work, and read like fan fiction. Really bad fan fiction.

That's why I said that the seventh Dune novel was "never written"; Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson wrote two novels that continued the story - claiming they were based on Frank Herbert's notes - but it's obvious that their story was not anything like what Frank Herbert intended. And the two novels they wrote were just awful.

HBJ

kingfan2323
04-14-2020, 10:38 AM

sk

Personally, I would recommend reading the six books by Frank Herbert, in the order stated, and ignoring the rest.

I mean, okay, try the others if you like, but understand that they are someone else's extrapolation of Frank's work, and read like fan fiction. Really bad fan fiction.

That's why I said that the seventh Dune novel was "never written"; Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson wrote two novels that continued the story - claiming they were based on Frank Herbert's notes - but it's obvious that their story was not anything like what Frank Herbert intended. And the two novels they wrote were just awful.

HBJThis sounds like what I would do, assuming the next two are as good as Dune (half way through now). Whether it's Hemingway or F. Herbert I am not interested in someone taking over just because they are related.

Does anyone know of a good "guide" to the Dune universe? I know an encyclopedia was released in 84 but anything newer/better/more complete?

mae
04-14-2020, 11:22 AM
Does anyone know of a good "guide" to the Dune universe? I know an encyclopedia was released in 84 but anything newer/better/more complete?

Try this: https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Dune_Wiki

fernandito
04-14-2020, 11:51 AM
True story: I started reading Dune in my early 20's, but the book I was reading belonged to a girl I was dating at the time, and when we broke it off she took her book back (I was like halfway through) and I never had the urge to get back to it because it had an ominous association for me lol.

Shit, I think I gotta read it now though.

kingfan2323
04-14-2020, 12:42 PM

Try this: https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Dune_WikiThanks. Sorry, I meant a book about the book series universe.

mae
04-14-2020, 05:20 PM
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac

Timothée Chalamet remembers the darkness. It was the summer of 2019, and the cast and crew of Dune had ventured deep into the sandstone and granite canyons of southern Jordan, leaving in the middle of the night so they could catch the dawn on camera. The light spilling over the chasms gave the landscape an otherworldly feel. It was what they had come for.

“It was really surreal,” says Chalamet. “There are these Goliath landscapes, which you may imagine existing on planets in our universe, but not on Earth.”

They weren’t on Earth anymore, anyway. They were on a deadly, dust-dry battleground planet called Arrakis. In Frank Herbert’s epic 1965 sci-fi novel, Arrakis is the only known location of the galaxy’s most vital resource, the mind-altering, time-and-space-warping “spice.” In the new film adaptation, directed by Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 filmmaker Denis Villeneuve, Chalamet stars as the young royal Paul Atreides, the proverbial stranger in a very strange land, who’s fighting to protect this hostile new home even as it threatens to destroy him. Humans are the aliens on Arrakis. The dominant species on that world are immense, voracious sandworms that burrow through the barren drifts like subterranean dragons.

For the infinite seas of sand that give the story its title, the production moved to remote regions outside Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates, where the temperatures rivaled the fiction in Herbert’s story. “I remember going out of my room at 2 a.m., and it being probably 100 degrees,” says Chalamet. During the shoot, he and the other actors were costumed in what the world of Dune calls “stillsuits”—thick, rubbery armor that preserves the body’s moisture, even gathering tiny bits from the breath exhaled through the nose. In the story, the suits are life-giving. In real life, they were agony. “The shooting temperature was sometimes 120 degrees,” says Chalamet. “They put a cap on it out there, if it gets too hot. I forget what the exact number is, but you can’t keep working.” The circumstances fed the story they were there to tell: “In a really grounded way, it was helpful to be in the stillsuits and to be at that level of exhaustion.”

It wouldn’t be Dune if it were easy. Herbert’s novel became a sci-fi touchstone in the 1960s, heralded for its world-building and ecological subtext, as well as its intricate (some say impenetrable) plot focusing on two families struggling for supremacy over Arrakis. The book created ripples that many see in everything from Star Wars to Alien to Game of Thrones. Still, for decades, the novel itself has defied adaptation. In the ’70s, the wild man experimental filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky mounted a quest to film it, but Hollywood considered the project too risky. David Lynch brought Dune to the big screen in a 1984 feature, but it was derided as an incomprehensible mess and a blight on his filmography. In 2000, a Dune miniseries on what’s now the SyFy channel became a hit for the cable network, but it is now only dimly remembered.

Villeneuve intends to create a Dune that has so far only existed in the imagination of readers. The key, he says, was to break the sprawling narrative in half. When Dune hits theaters on December 18, it will only be half the novel, with Warner Bros. agreeing to tell the story in two films, similar to the studio’s approach with Stephen King’s It and It Chapter Two. “I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie,” says Villeneuve. “The world is too complex. It’s a world that takes its power in details.”

For Villeneuve, this 55-year-old story about a planet being mined to death was not merely a space adventure, but a prophecy. “No matter what you believe, Earth is changing, and we will have to adapt,” he says. “That’s why I think that Dune, this book, was written in the 20th century. It was a distant portrait of the reality of the oil and the capitalism and the exploitation—the overexploitation—of Earth. Today, things are just worse. It’s a coming-of-age story, but also a call for action for the youth.”

Chalamet’s character, Paul, thinks he’s just a boy struggling to find a place in the world, but he actually possesses the ability to change it. He has a supernatural gift to harness and unleash energy, lead others, and meld with the heart of his new home world. Paul comes from a powerful galactic family with a name that sounds like a constellation—the House Atreides. His father and mother, Duke Leto (played by Oscar Isaac) and Lady Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson), take their son from their lush, Scandinavian-like home world to preside over spice extraction on Arrakis. What follows is a clash with the criminal, politically connected House Harkonnen, led by the monstrous Baron Vladimir (Stellan Skarsgård), a mammoth with merciless appetites. The baron, created with full-body prosthetics, is like a rhino in human form. This version of the character is less of a madman and more of a predator. “As much as I deeply love the book, I felt that the baron was flirting very often with caricature,” says Villeneuve. “And I tried to bring him a bit more dimension. That’s why I brought in Stellan. Stellan has something in the eyes. You feel that there’s someone thinking, thinking, thinking—that has tension and is calculating inside, deep in the eyes. I can testify, it can be quite frightening.”

The director has also expanded the role of Paul’s mother, Lady Jessica. She’s a member of the Bene Gesserit, a sect of women who can read minds, control people with their voice (again, a precursor to the Jedi mind trick), and manipulate the balance of power in the universe. In the script, which Villeneuve wrote with Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts, she is even more fearsome than before. The studio’s plot synopsis describes her as a “warrior priestess.” As Villeneuve jokes, “It’s better than ‘space nun.’ ”

Lady Jessica’s duty is to deliver a savior to the universe—and now she has a greater role in defending and training Paul too. “She’s a mother, she’s a concubine, she’s a soldier,” says Ferguson. “Denis was very respectful of Frank’s work in the book, [but] the quality of the arcs for much of the women have been brought up to a new level. There were some shifts he did, and they are beautifully portrayed now.”

In an intriguing change to the source material, Villeneuve has also updated Dr. Liet Kynes, the leading ecologist on Arrakis and an independent power broker amid the various warring factions. Although always depicted as a white man, the character is now played by Sharon Duncan-Brewster (Rogue One), a black woman. “What Denis had stated to me was there was a lack of female characters in his cast, and he had always been very feminist, pro-women, and wanted to write the role for a woman,” Duncan-Brewster says. “This human being manages to basically keep the peace amongst many people. Women are very good at that, so why can’t Kynes be a woman? Why shouldn’t Kynes be a woman?”

As fans will know, there’s a vast menagerie of other characters populating Dune. There are humans called “mentats,” augmented with computerlike minds. Paul is mentored by two bravado warriors Duncan Idaho and Gurney Halleck, played by Jason Momoa and Josh Brolin. Dave Bautista plays a sinister Harkonnen enforcer Glossu Rabban, and Charlotte Rampling has a key role as the Bene Gesserit reverend mother. The list goes on. In the seemingly unlivable wilds of Arrakis, Javier Bardem leads the Fremen tribe as Stilgar, and Zendaya costars as a mystery woman named Chani, who haunts Paul in his dreams as a vision with glowing blue eyes.

The breadth of Dune is what has made it so confounding for others to adapt. “It’s a book that tackles politics, religion, ecology, spirituality—and with a lot of characters,” says Villeneuve. “I think that’s why it’s so difficult. Honestly, it’s by far the most difficult thing I’ve done in my life.” After finishing this first movie, he’ll just have to do it all over again.

https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/5e962efaac720b00089fd0a9/master/w_2560%2Cc_limit/0520-Dune-Tout-Lede-a.jpg

mae
04-14-2020, 05:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnaaMpsbW4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWm-3YObjY

DanHocker
04-15-2020, 07:59 AM
I've always been fascinated with Dune. Loved the SyFy mini series, played the real time strategy video game, but always had some false starts with the novel. Every time I'd start it or think about starting it, I'd either get distracted by something else or just kinda be bored of it. It's been years since I've given it an attempt. Maybe I'll have to give the audio book a shot one of these days.

WeDealInLead
04-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Ooh, the Dune audio is one of my favourite audio books. It's multicast and there are atmospheric interludes between chapters. Well, on the one I listened to years back, at least.

Still Servant
04-16-2020, 01:29 PM
Bladerunner 2049
Prisoners
Arrival
Enemy
Sicario

Incendies is fantastic. What a gut punch.

I will watch anything Villeneuve puts his name to. I'm concerned because Blade Runner 2049 was a masterpiece and it didn't find an audience. I fear Dune will suffer from the same fate. The trailer is going to have to make it look like a superhero film to get mainstream audiences interested.

kingfan2323
04-16-2020, 01:36 PM
Bladerunner 2049
Prisoners
Arrival
Enemy
Sicario

Incendies is fantastic. What a gut punch.

I will watch anything Villeneuve puts his name to. I'm concerned because Blade Runner 2049 was a masterpiece and it didn't find an audience. I fear Dune will suffer from the same fate. The trailer is going to have to make it look like a superhero film to get mainstream audiences interested.You made a few good points. Both Bladerunners were not given their due upon release. Time will tell on 2049. Such a fantastic movie. To be able to follow up Ridley Scott and pull it off. . . ! Wow.

Agree on Incendies!

seeking: anything DT related #246

mae
05-13-2020, 05:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsYTC1mYM8

mae
05-31-2020, 07:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hruuiw00onU

fernandito
06-01-2020, 07:19 AM
I will watch anything Villeneuve puts his name to. I'm concerned because Blade Runner 2049 was a masterpiece and it didn't find an audience. I fear Dune will suffer from the same fate. The trailer is going to have to make it look like a superhero film to get mainstream audiences interested.
Yes, it will have to be marketed as an action spectacle first, political sci-fi tale second. I'm not opposed to it if it means getting more butts in the seats and guaranteeing a sequel.

Still Servant
06-02-2020, 01:52 PM
Yes, it will have to be marketed as an action spectacle first, political sci-fi tale second. I'm not opposed to it if it means getting more butts in the seats and guaranteeing a sequel.

That's not how I would market it. I would market it has a love story. You have every female's wet dream Timothee Chalamet in the film, you have to use that. Get those female butts in the seats first. Everyone else will come for the action.

Merlin1958
06-10-2020, 12:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hruuiw00onU

Nice post!!! Good stuff!!! Just drooling for the release of a trailer!!!

mae
08-03-2020, 09:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIdV7AWd3ns

mae
09-08-2020, 12:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZrNyCkmlBY

Pere Jere
09-08-2020, 02:15 PM
If there’s anything that will finally get me back into a theater it’s this. I just re-watched Blade Runner 2049 this past weekend and it reinforced my feeling that they have the perfect director for the material. I haven’t been this excited and hopeful for a film adaptation since The Lord of the Rings.

Still Servant
09-08-2020, 03:14 PM
If there’s anything that will finally get me back into a theater it’s this. I just re-watched Blade Runner 2049 this past weekend and it reinforced my feeling that they have the perfect director for the material. I haven’t been this excited and hopeful for a film adaptation since The Lord of the Rings.

2049 is a masterpiece.

I want to watch this teaser, but I don't want to watch it! So conflicted.

mae
09-08-2020, 03:17 PM

It's not really even a teaser. It's a thirty-second announcement that the first trailer drops tomorrow.

Still Servant
09-08-2020, 03:25 PM

It's not really even a teaser. It's a thirty-second announcement that the first trailer drops tomorrow.

Oh, good! For some reason, I thought it dropped already. It was supposed to play before Tenet.

mae
09-09-2020, 05:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTKGsXTlkE

Trailer drops at noon ET.

mae
09-09-2020, 08:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4

webstar1000
09-09-2020, 08:50 AM
ok.... wasn't blown away BUT I am not familiar with the books. Denis is one of my fav directors today... him and Nolan. BUT question for Dune fans. Is this a stand alone film OR a trilogy? Did you like/love the trailer?

mae
09-09-2020, 08:58 AM
It's supposed to be part one of two. Wasn't blown away either, but I wasn't expecting it to be Star Wars or Avengers level trailer. This is subdued and elegant, as it should be.

Pere Jere
09-09-2020, 09:22 AM
Being a huge fan of the books I think it looks amazing. Everything looks almost exactly like I imagined it and the tone seems perfect for what little they show. I remain confident that Villeneuve is going to knock it out of the park. Mae says it perfectly, “subdued and elegant.” This is not and should not be Avengers or Star Wars.

webstar1000
09-09-2020, 09:30 AM
Being a huge fan of the books I think it looks amazing. Everything looks almost exactly like I imagined it and the tone seems perfect for what little they show. I remain confident that Villeneuve is going to knock it out of the park. Mae says it perfectly, “subdued and elegant.” This is not and should not be Avengers or Star Wars.

No it def should not be Avengers or Star Wars. Because it isn't. Trying to re-create either of those that would have been silly BUT it didn't have an 'epic' feel. Like those movies OR say... Lord Of The Rinds. I have total faith in Denis V but it really lacked for me.... so it is good to hear others thoughts on what they say as well.

Pere Jere
09-09-2020, 10:51 AM
For me Dune has always felt very subdued (yet still incredibly engaging and interesting) as all the pieces are moving on the game board so to speak but when they all fall into place is when my mind has been blown in an epic way. Mostly felt this during books 1, 3, and 5.

webstar1000
09-09-2020, 10:54 AM
For me Dune has always felt very subdued (yet still incredibly engaging and interesting) as all the pieces are moving on the game board so to speak but when they all fall into place is when my mind has been blown in an epic way. Mostly felt this during books 1, 3, and 5.

So they are condensing all these books into two movies? That even possible?

Pere Jere
09-09-2020, 10:57 AM

So they are condensing all these books into two movies? That even possible?

No, this first movie is half of book 1. They decided to film the two halves of the first book separately. It should work well as there is a distinct separation in the novel between the two halves. Quite a bit of time passes between them.

DanHocker
09-09-2020, 11:34 AM
This looks incredible.

Merlin1958
09-09-2020, 03:28 PM
This looks incredible.

Ditto

Still Servant
09-09-2020, 04:38 PM
I don't know what I just watched but I loved it!

mae
09-09-2020, 05:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kysALFHWuU

webstar1000
09-10-2020, 05:43 AM
Man I went on Reddit last night and THIS WAS ROASTED. I didn't think it was that bad and I know nothing of the books. But my goodness... there was so much hate for this trailer. I read about 100+ comments under the post and only one or two were ok. The rest were scathing... lol

mae
09-10-2020, 05:52 AM
Man I went on Reddit last night and THIS WAS ROASTED. I didn't think it was that bad and I know nothing of the books. But my goodness... there was so much hate for this trailer. I read about 100+ comments under the post and only one or two were ok. The rest were scathing... lol

Such as what? Did you watch the above video from a noted Dune expert? He loved it.

webstar1000
09-10-2020, 06:03 AM

Such as what? Did you watch the above video from a noted Dune expert? He loved it.

Just that it looked horrible. They HATED the Pink Floyd.. that was a recurring 'issue'. They hated the sombre tone. They hated the focus of the trailer and thought it would have done better to show other characters. Again, I only stumbled on it and am sharing here. I don't yet know what I think. BUT many did say on the comments... that the trailer for Blade Runner 2049 (only one of his films I didn't like) and for Arrival ( I loved it) sucked and they loved those so MANY had faith. They were just slamming the choice of the trailer. One guy even said that the studio didn't do it themselves... but hired out a company to do it and that could be why it was so bad... but he provided no proof.

fernandito
09-10-2020, 08:33 AM
Denis the GOAT about to give us another sci-fi masterpiece. Loved the tone and feel, and holy s what a superb cast.

Pere Jere
09-10-2020, 10:01 AM

I find Reddit to frequently be an echo chamber of mewling children so I take what I find there with a half grain of salt. I generally leave subs I follow quickly as I get tired of all the crying. Though so far the Dark Tower sub is pretty enjoyable. In fact, now that I think about it, as I’ve sunk into my obsession with the Tower I’ve found the community to be one of the more positive and embracing around. These forums have reinforced that 😁

mae
09-10-2020, 11:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjLijCWt76o

Br!an
09-10-2020, 11:51 AM
They HATED the Pink Floyd.. that was a recurring 'issue'.

Anyone who hates Pink Floyd is not to be taken seriously.

Hunchback Jack
09-10-2020, 11:56 AM
I find Reddit to frequently be an echo chamber of mewling children so I take what I find there with a half grain of salt. I generally leave subs I follow quickly as I get tired of all the crying.

Pretty much this. There's a cadre of viewers poised to accuse any big movie as being "too woke" or "not faithful to the source material", so you will get that regardless of what's actually in the trailer. I've heard complaints about Liet-Kynes being made a female character (male in the book), and the choice of the word "crusade" (rather than the novel's use of "jihad"). Personally, neither of those things bother me in the least.

(That's not to say that no criticism is valid; just that the presence of that criticism isn't an indication that the film will be badly received)

BTW Kris, as said before, this film will be cover the first half of Dune, the first book in the series. There will be a second film to complete the first book. There are six books altogether in the Dune series, but the first one stands alone enough that they could make these two films and call it a day, without the story feeling incomplete.

(If reading the books, though, I would *highly* recommend reading all six. There are developments and complexities in later volumes that are really wonderful.)

HBJ

webstar1000
09-10-2020, 01:27 PM
I find Reddit to frequently be an echo chamber of mewling children so I take what I find there with a half grain of salt. I generally leave subs I follow quickly as I get tired of all the crying.

Pretty much this. There's a cadre of viewers poised to accuse any big movie as being "too woke" or "not faithful to the source material", so you will get that regardless of what's actually in the trailer. I've heard complaints about Liet-Kynes being made a female character (male in the book), and the choice of the word "crusade" (rather than the novel's use of "jihad"). Personally, neither of those things bother me in the least.

(That's not to say that no criticism is valid; just that the presence of that criticism isn't an indication that the film will be badly received)

BTW Kris, as said before, this film will be cover the first half of Dune, the first book in the series. There will be a second film to complete the first book. There are six books altogether in the Dune series, but the first one stands alone enough that they could make these two films and call it a day, without the story feeling incomplete.

(If reading the books, though, I would *highly* recommend reading all six. There are developments and complexities in later volumes that are really wonderful.)

HBJ

Think if good enough we could get them all? All 6 books?

Hunchback Jack
09-10-2020, 02:49 PM

HBJ

That would be great. Some of them are a bit tough to film, I would imagine, but it could be done.

Pere Jere
09-10-2020, 03:39 PM

HBJ

That would be great. Some of them are a bit tough to film, I would imagine, but it could be done.

God Emperor of Dune in particular would be tough to film in part because it’s separated from both the third and fifth novels by centuries. A great book but of the six original it might work best as a scifi drama mini-series bridging the films’ eras.

Still Servant
09-10-2020, 03:52 PM
Denis the GOAT about to give us another sci-fi masterpiece. Loved the tone and feel, and holy s what a superb cast.

Anybody roasting the trailer is not a fan of film. Anybody who knows anything would know that it's directed by Denis. That alone means the film should be given a chance. Plain and simple. Reddit is a cesspool anyway. That and the fact it's impossible to follow a conversation.

Hunchback Jack
09-10-2020, 04:44 PM

HBJ

God Emperor of Dune in particular would be tough to film in part because it’s separated from both the third and fifth novels by centuries. A great book but of the six original it might work best as a scifi drama mini-series bridging the films’ eras.

Agreed. I think GEoD might work as a standalone movie or miniseries. It is a sequel to the third volume in the series, but it could work as an independent tale set in the same universe.

(GEoD is great, by the way. It might be my favourite of the series, although Dune Messiah is also pretty great.)

HBJ

webstar1000
09-10-2020, 04:47 PM

HBJ

Agreed. I think GEoD might work as a standalone movie or miniseries. It is a sequel to the third volume in the series, but it could work as an independent tale set in the same universe.

(GEoD is great, by the way. It might be my favourite of the series, although Dune Messiah is also pretty great.)

HBJ

Man I should read these. I just never have.... are they Game of Theones dense? I cannot stand that. My mind wanders a bit when I read and I love it but dense books I have a big issue with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still Servant
09-10-2020, 05:20 PM
See, I don't think the Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire) books are dense at all. By breaking up each chapter with a different character perspective, I think it makes what could be a tough read into a really manageable one.

Hunchback Jack
09-10-2020, 05:45 PM
I think Dune is probably the most accessible of the six. Start with that. The others can be heavy going, particularly the first time through, so if you find Dune too dense, you will probably bounce off the others.

They are very satisfying and thought-provoking, though. Dare I say it, the sequels make Dune better.

webstar1000
09-11-2020, 03:29 AM
See, I don't think the Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire) books are dense at all. By breaking up each chapter with a different character perspective, I think it makes what could be a tough read into a really manageable one.

They are. I can asssure you I am not alone in that thought process either.

Br!an
09-11-2020, 05:28 AM

I thought Game of Thrones was an easier read than Dune. That might be partly because I prefer fantasy to SF.

Still Servant
09-11-2020, 04:59 PM

They're dense with character and locations, but the prose is pretty straight forward.

Hunchback Jack
09-11-2020, 08:38 PM
I broke down and watched the trailer. It looks very promising, indeed.

It looks pretty close to the source material - and a few shots are reminiscent of the 1984 movie, although that may just be because the scenes themselves are so identifiable.

I like the feel of the movie, but I wonder whether it will fare the same as Blade Runner 2049, where it will be atmospheric and slow moving, but not a box office hit. I hope moviegoers will have the patience to give it a chance.

Still Servant
09-13-2020, 02:51 PM
I like the feel of the movie, but I wonder whether it will fare the same as Blade Runner 2049, where it will be atmospheric and slow moving, but not a box office hit. I hope moviegoers will have the patience to give it a chance.

I have felt the same way since the film was announced. Dune is not a property that is well known by mainstream audiences.

I think they really need to play up the romance angle. Young women go crazy for Chalamet, they need to feed into that. Obviously, the virus has added a whole other layer of concern when it comes to the box office.

I do think Dune will get pushed to 2021 like Wonder Woman. Reports have mentioned that WB doesn't want to cut into Tenet's box office.

webstar1000
10-05-2020, 03:03 PM
DUNE now delayed. There is no way theatres can last through the winter with no films!

Joe315
10-05-2020, 03:56 PM
DUNE now delayed. There is no way theatres can last through the winter with no films!

A big chain closed their locations until movies are actually being released

webstar1000
10-05-2020, 03:57 PM

Seen that but how long can they hold on? Still bills to pay being closed:(

Joe315
10-05-2020, 04:05 PM

Not much longer is my guess. I hope they hang on though. I really enjoy the movie theatre experience.

webstar1000
10-05-2020, 04:06 PM

Not much longer is my guess. I hope they hang on though. I really enjoy the movie theatre experience.

I have to agre. Not much longer and I love the movies

webstar1000
10-05-2020, 05:20 PM
A Life On Our Planet... Netflix. Moving on so many levels. I’m a HUGE David Attenbough fan. He is 93 years old and seen the world.. 20 times over. This movie is a hidden gem. I cannot say it enough... watch it. 10/10.
Brilliant, eye opening... heart breaking and moving on many levels.

Lookwhoitis
10-05-2020, 05:47 PM

Regal Cinemas are closing all 536 theaters in the US this week

Still Servant
10-05-2020, 06:04 PM
That's why I'm trying to see as many movies as I can in theaters. I went yesterday and I was the only one in the theater.

Lookwhoitis
10-05-2020, 06:17 PM
i need to go to tenet on wed

mae
10-06-2020, 04:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DZnLLNPgeQ

Pere Jere
10-06-2020, 06:46 AM
It sucks it has been delayed but it really is the right decision. I’m very worried we will never get the second movie if there are any more delays. It’s a shame WB didn’t have enough faith in Denis and the source material to just film both films at once. With every passing year I become more grateful over how The Lord of the Rings came to be. Truly a bold move by New Line Cinema at the time.

fernandito
10-06-2020, 07:48 AM
I was expecting a delay but damn... a whole freaking year!?

Still Servant
10-06-2020, 03:38 PM
When Tenet was realeased, I thought that it would open the flood gates for more films. The studios thought the same thing.

Unfortuantely, as great as Tenet is, the film is a high-concept Sci-fi film with no real star power. I felt from day one that it was going to be a hard sell to get people in the seats. That coupled with the fact that many major markets like LA and NY haven't opened theaters are the reason we are where we are.

Make no mistake, if a film like Wonder Woman came out, people would go see it. Maybe not in the pre-COVID numbers, but better than what we saw from Tenet.

At this point, we have to be patient again. 2020 will forever be known as the year that never was for film.

webstar1000
10-06-2020, 05:24 PM
When Tenet was realeased, I thought that it would open the flood gates for more films. The studios thought the same thing.

Unfortuantely, as great as Tenet is, the film is a high-concept Sci-fi film with no real star power. I felt from day one that it was going to be a hard sell to get people in the seats. That coupled with the fact that many major markets like LA and NY haven't opened theaters are the reason we are where we are.

Make no mistake, if a film like Wonder Woman came out, people would go see it. Maybe not in the pre-COVID numbers, but better than what we saw from Tenet.

At this point, we have to be patient again. 2020 will forever be known as the year that never was for film.

Yep.
This.

I totally agree. I think Tenet would have done much better but any film would have. Our theatres in North America will fold if films don’t come back sooner rather than later.

mae
10-06-2020, 05:36 PM
2020 will forever be known as the year that never was for film.

I wouldn't go that far. There are plenty of smaller movies coming out on streaming all the time. Never Rarely Sometimes Always just dropped on HBO Max.

Still Servant
10-06-2020, 05:51 PM
2020 will forever be known as the year that never was for film.

I wouldn't go that far. There are plenty of smaller movies coming out on streaming all the time. Never Rarely Sometimes Always just dropped on HBO Max.

I guess I mean the blockbuster. There have been quite a few streaming films I have enjoyed. I loved Palm Springs (more than most) and The Devil All the Time were two of my favorites. As far as big-budget studio films, there's yet to be anything significant released for streaming.

mae
10-06-2020, 05:54 PM
I'm fine with that. We can all use a little breather from the blockbusters. I hope the Oscars don't cave and cancel but honor the great but lesser-seen gems that have been coming out all year on on streaming and VOD, as well as some theaters.

Still Servant
10-06-2020, 06:02 PM
I'm fine with that. We can all use a little breather from the blockbusters. I hope the Oscars don't cave and cancel but honor the great but lesser-seen gems that have been coming out all year on on streaming and VOD, as well as some theaters.

Hmmm, I'm not seeing the gems, Mae. I added my top 10 list of the year so far in the General Movie thread. I'd love to see what kind of stuff you're finding.

I'm hoping it's more than The Vast of Night. Films like Da 5 Bloods, I'm Thinking of Ending Things and Greyhound were all duds for me.

It's not just the big blockbusters we aren't getting, it's the smaller Oscar-bait films that are getting pushed too.

webstar1000
10-07-2020, 04:59 AM

Hmmm, I'm not seeing the gems, Mae. I added my top 10 list of the year so far in the General Movie thread. I'd love to see what kind of stuff you're finding.

I'm hoping it's more than The Vast of Night. Films like Da 5 Bloods, I'm Thinking of Ending Things and Greyhound were all duds for me.

It's not just the big blockbusters we aren't getting, it's the smaller Oscar-bait films that are getting pushed too.

No gems for me either.. I could not even do a top 10~

mae
12-11-2020, 09:18 AM
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/dune-denis-villeneuve-blasts-warner-bros-1234851270/

I learned in the news that Warner Bros. has decided to release “Dune” on HBO Max at the same time as our theatrical release, using prominent images from our movie to promote their streaming service. With this decision AT&T has hijacked one of the most respectable and important studios in film history. There is absolutely no love for cinema, nor for the audience here. It is all about the survival of a telecom mammoth, one that is currently bearing an astronomical debt of more than $150 billion. Therefore, even though “Dune” is about cinema and audiences, AT&T is about its own survival on Wall Street. With HBO Max’s launch a failure thus far, AT&T decided to sacrifice Warner Bros.’ entire 2021 slate in a desperate attempt to grab the audience’s attention.

Warner Bros.’ sudden reversal from being a legacy home for filmmakers to the new era of complete disregard draws a clear line for me. Filmmaking is a collaboration, reliant on the mutual trust of team work and Warner Bros. has declared they are no longer on the same team.

Streaming services are a positive and powerful addition to the movie and TV ecosystems. But I want the audience to understand that streaming alone can’t sustain the film industry as we knew it before COVID. Streaming can produce great content, but not movies of “Dune’s” scope and scale. Warner Bros.’ decision means “Dune” won’t have the chance to perform financially in order to be viable and piracy will ultimately triumph. Warner Bros. might just have killed the “Dune” franchise. This one is for the fans. AT&T’s John Stankey said that the streaming horse left the barn. In truth, the horse left the barn for the slaughterhouse.

Public safety comes first. Nobody argues with that. Which is why when it became apparent the winter would bring a second wave of the pandemic, I understood and supported the decision to delay “Dune’s” opening by almost a year. The plan was that “Dune” would open in theaters in October 2021, when vaccinations will be advanced and, hopefully, the virus behind us. Science tells us that everything should be back to a new normal next fall.

“Dune” is by far the best movie I’ve ever made. My team and I devoted more than three years of our lives to make it a unique big screen experience. Our movie’s image and sound were meticulously designed to be seen in theaters.

I’m speaking on my own behalf, though I stand in solidarity with the sixteen other filmmakers who now face the same fate. Please know I am with you and that together we are strong. The artists are the ones who create movies and series.

I strongly believe the future of cinema will be on the big screen, no matter what any Wall Street dilettante says. Since the dawn of time, humans have deeply needed communal storytelling experiences. Cinema on the big screen is more than a business, it is an art form that brings people together, celebrating humanity, enhancing our empathy for one another — it’s one of the very last artistic, in-person collective experiences we share as human beings.

Once the pandemic is over, theaters will be filled again with film lovers.

That is my strong belief. Not because the movie industry needs it, but because we humans need cinema, as a collective experience.

So, just as I have both a fiduciary and creative responsibility to fulfill as the filmmaker, I call on AT&T to act swiftly with the same responsibility, respect and regard to protect this vital cultural medium. Economic impact to stakeholders is only one aspect of corporate social responsibility. Finding ways to enhance culture is another. The moviegoing experience is like no other. In those darkened theaters films capture our history, educate us, fuel our imagination and lift and inspire our collective spirit. It is our legacy.

Long live theatrical cinema!

— Denis Villeneuve

Lookwhoitis
12-11-2020, 10:08 AM
that is a great take...

Merlin1958
12-11-2020, 03:06 PM
Looking at the trailer, I don't see anything mind shattering over the original film other than some FX and a bigger worm. I'll still watch it, but my expectations aren't tremendously high.

Still Servant
12-14-2020, 06:19 PM
Looking at the trailer, I don't see anything mind shattering over the original film other than some FX and a bigger worm. I'll still watch it, but my expectations aren't tremendously high.

And Denis Villeneuve.

People will come back to the theater just like they will come back to the stadiums to watch football and baseball. It's still the best way to watch a film, I don't care how great your home setup is. There's something about going to a place to watch a movie. There are less distractions (for the most part) and it becomes more of an event.

I'm lucky enough to still be going to theaters. It's been weeks since I saw a movie with someone else in the theater. Unfortunately, they aren't allowing food, which is hard for me because popcorn is a large part of the experience for me.

webstar1000
12-15-2020, 05:14 AM

And Denis Villeneuve.

People will come back to the theater just like they will come back to the stadiums to watch football and baseball. It's still the best way to watch a film, I don't care how great your home setup is. There's something about going to a place to watch a movie. There are less distractions (for the most part) and it becomes more of an event.

I'm lucky enough to still be going to theaters. It's been weeks since I saw a movie with someone else in the theater. Unfortunately, they aren't allowing food, which is hard for me because popcorn is a large part of the experience for me.

I had a $28K theatre at my last home. I STILL went out to new movies. People will come back. It is still the best way to watch a film... for sure:)

fernandito
12-15-2020, 07:36 AM
I don't care how good anyone's home setup is, it's not a substitute for the real thing. Watching a film in theaters will always be the way to experience a film.

Merlin1958
12-15-2020, 08:44 AM

And Denis Villeneuve.

I had a $28K theatre at my last home. I STILL went out to new movies. People will come back. It is still the best way to watch a film... for sure:)

Well, that's $28K you could have spent better!!! lol

That's like "Look at me, I bought a $250K Maserati but, I drive my volkswagon everywhere I go"!

webstar1000
12-15-2020, 12:57 PM
I got this negative rep for saying how much I love the theatre: "Despite hosting a toy drive for your wife’s company, you are the most pretentious ass that TDT or Facebook has ever seen!" I am sorry you feel that way. I host the toy drive and not for my wife's company. It really has nothing to do with her company. We use the company van to move the toys. I love Xmas and there are many that need help and well I like to help people that are in need and if that makes me a POS well there ya go:) Whoever left this... I feel sad for you and am sorry your life is marred by such hate and discorn. I do however wish you have a good holidays whoever you are. And I mean that. Kris

Randall Flagg
12-15-2020, 01:26 PM
Kris,

That sure seems like a harsh thing to say annonymously to a person. If it makes any difference, I think you are a nice, generous person.

webstar1000
12-15-2020, 01:47 PM
Kris,

That sure seems like a harsh thing to say annonymously to a person. If it makes any difference, I think you are a nice, generous person.

Thanks.
Prettt shitty thing to say to someone that tries to help people day in and day out. And then brings up my charity’s work like that? I feel bad for them. I really do. Love ya buddy.. thanks for the kind words my brother:)

MikeDuke
12-15-2020, 01:58 PM
I have to agree. I think it's great that you can help people the way you do. And what does having a HT have to with anything. I have a small one, but it sounds and looks great. It's in a small room so I make due with what I have.
But I don't think you deserve that neg rep at all. You have been more then nice to me in answering questions when I had them.
Anyway, enough of a distraction. Back to Dune talk.

Merlin1958
12-15-2020, 03:54 PM
For the record, it was not I who posted that Rep and feel free to have, Jerome confirm it. That wasn't very cool. You all know how I feel about charity work. Anybody helping those in need is doing right in my book.

fernandito
12-16-2020, 09:47 AM
FWIW, Kris, I think your charity work is great and I heart you, despite being a pretentious ass :redface:

Patrick
12-16-2020, 10:38 AM
FWIW, Kris, I think your charity work is great and I heart you, despite being a pretentious ass :redface:
Aw, Ferny, we don’t think you’re a pretentious ass. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

Pointing vaguely in direction of the topic: I have never read Dune.

fernandito
12-16-2020, 10:44 AM
Aw, Ferny, we don’t think you’re a pretentious ass. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

Lmao, shut cho ass up!! It's good to see on the boards again broski.

mae
12-23-2020, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZ3TGf9cOc

Merlin1958
12-23-2020, 07:56 PM
You know, I don't see why the dual release is such a huge fucking issue. They are still releasing the films at theaters. It can't really fuck with the Directors revenue can it? I mean they still get their contractual piece and if it did, Warner would be spending A LOT of time in court. I mean it gives people a choice and is especially good for movie goers at this time of a pandemic. I'm running out of shit to watch!!! lol

I too, prefer to see the big budget films in the theater, but if others feel differently they should have the choice. If you're a film buff and appreciate all the finer points of film in theaters then by all means GO TO THE THEATER and watch it!!!

CRinVA
12-26-2020, 12:30 PM
Pointing vaguely in direction of the topic: I have never read Dune.
Blasphemy!

mae
12-26-2020, 03:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzJvpmoWQrI

mae
05-18-2021, 12:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJmaorxdbk

Merlin1958
05-18-2021, 05:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJmaorxdbk

Video is unavailable, Mae. The first one was not bad. I don't agree with all her points, but some of them are spot on. Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to this version of the book.

mae
05-18-2021, 05:42 PM
It was a report saying Dune will not be going to HBO Max, but apparently that's not true. Not sure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvC0dySLKTE

Merlin1958
05-18-2021, 06:29 PM
Everthing I've heard so far says, HBO-MAX in theaters and streaming in, October. Of course, who knows, right? lol

mae
07-14-2021, 02:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwEn2fqVdjQ

Merlin1958
07-14-2021, 02:40 PM
Looking good!!

fernandito
07-14-2021, 03:03 PM
My most anticipated movie this year!!

Still Servant
07-15-2021, 05:46 PM

And last year too!

webstar1000
07-16-2021, 02:08 AM

And last year too!

Ok me too but Come in guys.. more so than Neo’s return?!?!

MikeDuke
07-16-2021, 06:49 AM
There are 4 main Dune books right? Are they just going to make a series of all of them, or just adapt the first book of Dune.
And yes Kris, I am hopeful that The Matrix 4 is a good one, even though I am still trying to figure out what it will be about
since Revolutions really did wrap it up, except for the very last scene with the Oracle, and the Architect.

DoctorZaius
07-16-2021, 11:43 AM

And last year too!

Much more than Neo's return - sorry.

webstar1000
07-16-2021, 11:44 AM

And last year too!

I loved Denis’s work. But none of his movies are my all time favorites. The matrix is:)

DoctorZaius
07-16-2021, 01:25 PM

And last year too!

I loved Denis’s work. But none of his movies are my all time favorites. The matrix is:)

Yeah, you don't want me to finish that "Matrix is..." statement. I loved the first one, but then the next two didn't impress me so much. Sorry.

Merlin1958
07-16-2021, 05:17 PM

And last year too!

I gotta say, I'm with ya 100% on this one!!! And I absolutely loved the original books (I believe I read like 4.5 of the novels). To be fair, it is by no means an easily adapted book for the big screen regardless of the director. The trailers paint a pretty nice picture and I am looking forward to viewing it. I'm also pumped to see what they cooked up for The Matrix IV!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Still Servant
07-16-2021, 05:25 PM

And last year too!

Well... yeah. Do you not remember Reloaded and Revolutions? We have zero evidence that another Matrix film will come anywhere close to the original. As for Dune, Villeneuve is simply one of the greatest filmmakers working right now.

Merlin1958
07-17-2021, 01:49 PM

And last year too!

Well... yeah. Do you not remember Reloaded and Revolutions? We have zero evidence that another Matrix film will come anywhere close to the original. As for Dune, Villeneuve is simply one of the greatest filmmakers working right now.

Pardon my ignorance, but what has he done before that makes you so sure? Maybe there's something I should be looking for out there. Again, the trailers look very good, but so do a lot of trailers.

Joe315
07-18-2021, 10:39 PM

And last year too!

Pardon my ignorance, but what has he done before that makes you so sure? Maybe there's something I should be looking for out there. Again, the trailers look very good, but so do a lot of trailers.

Blade runner 2049, sicario, prisoners were all pretty good

Lookwhoitis
07-19-2021, 07:46 AM

And last year too!

Don't forget ARRIVAL

MikeDuke
07-19-2021, 07:55 AM
Arrival was awesome.

Joe315
07-19-2021, 09:44 AM

And last year too!

Don't forget ARRIVAL

Haven’t seen it so I couldn’t list it.

fernandito
07-19-2021, 03:04 PM
Arrival is arguably his best film. It's my personal favorite, anyway. Followed closely by Sicario.

webstar1000
07-19-2021, 03:48 PM
Arrival is arguably his best film. It's my personal favorite, anyway. Followed closely by Sicario.

Arrival is so good but Prisoners is my fav. I’d say Incendies is my second fav. I really fell in love with that film. It’s my favourite foreign language film of all time!

Lookwhoitis
07-19-2021, 04:05 PM
I will tell you guys... If you have not read Ted Chiang yet do yourself a favor and check out his collections. He is a Master of the short format. He wrote the novella that arrival was based on and it really is a mindfuck. Part of my being on the side of the fence that proclaims Villeneuve is a Maestro is his work in adapting that story (which was difficult to adapt in how metaphysical it is) I really recommend y'all reading the story "Story of Your Life" that Arrival is based upon.

It is very seldom that you get two legitimate virtuosos putting their own stamp on a story like King and Kubrick did. In my opinion Chiang's source work and Villeneuve's intelligent adaptation certainly qualify.

Cook
07-21-2021, 05:24 AM
100% agree, Ted Chiang is quite the author.
His latest short format "Exhalation".. pretty damn good :)

I will tell you guys... If you have not read Ted Chiang yet do yourself a favor and check out his collections. He is a Master of the short format. He wrote the novella that arrival was based on and it really is a mindfuck. Part of my being on the side of the fence that proclaims Villeneuve is a Maestro is his work in adapting that story (which was difficult to adapt in how metaphysical it is) I really recommend y'all reading the story "Story of Your Life" that Arrival is based upon.

It is very seldom that you get two legitimate virtuosos putting their own stamp on a story like King and Kubrick did. In my opinion Chiang's source work and Villeneuve's intelligent adaptation certainly qualify.

mae
07-21-2021, 06:08 AM
I wanted to get a hardcover copy of Ted Chiang's first collection to go along with the new one (Exhalation) and god they're so expensive! The first Tor edition. I see there was also a Sub Press limited that I also missed the boat on. So there is no affordable hardcover edition of it? Are there any plans for a trade 20th anniversary edition?

mae
07-22-2021, 06:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6LCD7nyD0s

webstar1000
07-22-2021, 07:00 AM
Oh. My. WOW. I am so pumped. I love his work.... THAT girl Zendaya??? IS THE NEXT big thing. Im saying it now and I did when I first seen her in Homecoming. She is beautiful, strong, sexy, commanding the scene in every way. HUGE fan here. I cannot wait for this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunchback Jack
07-22-2021, 11:50 PM
I wanted to get a hardcover copy of Ted Chiang's first collection to go along with the new one (Exhalation) and god they're so expensive! The first Tor edition. I see there was also a Sub Press limited that I also missed the boat on. So there is no affordable hardcover edition of it? Are there any plans for a trade 20th anniversary edition?

Yeah, the SubPress editions are very nice indeed, but very expensive on the secondary market. I’m fortunate to have a matching numbered set of Stories/Exhalation, but they were bought direct from SubPress on preorder.

The Tor edition is probably your best bet. But it will take patience.

Hunchback Jack
07-22-2021, 11:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6LCD7nyD0s

Yeah, Dune is looking very promising indeed. I do think Dune is a very difficult novel to adapt, and we are not going to get a movie entirely faithful to the source material. That’s okay though - Villeneuve seems to have found a tone I really like, and a style not a million miles away from Lynch’s version.

Villeneuve has proven he can handle big budget SF (BR2049) and smart, thoughtful SF (Arrival) Dune looks like it’s in good hands. I’m really looking forward to it.

Merlin1958
07-24-2021, 05:21 PM
I thought this was a pretty good breakdown of the latest trailer for this very anticipated film............................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKfbU9mwgC0

May help tide us over to the release date anyway!!! LOL This guy does a lot of MCU reviews and breakdowns that I have always felt he does a very good job with. Check it out and I think you will agree!!

mae
07-24-2021, 05:50 PM

Yeah, the SubPress editions are very nice indeed, but very expensive on the secondary market. I’m fortunate to have a matching numbered set of Stories/Exhalation, but they were bought direct from SubPress on preorder.

The Tor edition is probably your best bet. But it will take patience.

Yeah I’ve added it to price watch at CamelCamelCamel, but I don’t know if it will drop to double digits any time soon.

Merlin1958
07-25-2021, 06:42 PM
Just because you are a internet movie reviewer doesn't mean you should review every movie!!! This woman has no business offering her opinion on this film what so ever, IMHO. However, in the interest of giving everyone a voice that has one for your information......................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vxzU56oQ_8

She has never read the books and happily states she never intends to do so!!! Though, I suppose as someone who has no clue about the source material her perspective is somehow worth taking under advisement. LOL
Sad, because generally I like her reviews ands break downs for MCU material, but she is clearly out of her element here. Never the less, take a look and post your thoughts below. What a shame IMHO :crow burp::crow burp::crow burp:

Edit: I mean she can't even pronounce half the names of the characters nor does she seem to have any clue as to what is happening if not a direct reference to the '84 film!!! Just so wrong, wrong, wrong IMHO!!!

CRinVA
07-26-2021, 06:42 AM
Just because you are a internet movie reviewer doesn't mean you should review every movie!!! This woman has no business offering her opinion on this film what so ever, IMHO. However, in the interest of giving everyone a voice that has one for your information......................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vxzU56oQ_8

She has never read the books and happily states she never intends to do so!!! Though, I suppose as someone who has no clue about the source material her perspective is somehow worth taking under advisement. LOL
Sad, because generally I like her reviews ands break downs for MCU material, but she is clearly out of her element here. Never the less, take a look and post your thoughts below. What a shame IMHO :crow burp::crow burp::crow burp:

Edit: I mean she can't even pronounce half the names of the characters nor does she seem to have any clue as to what is happening if not a direct reference to the '84 film!!! Just so wrong, wrong, wrong IMHO!!!

Wow - i couldn't listen to it all. Read the damn books!

Personally I am psyched for this movie to hit the theatres.

mae
07-26-2021, 07:18 AM
It's not a requirement to read the books to be able to comments on a trailer or analyze a movie. That said, her credentials and strengths are in comics, so I always go to her for comics-related stuff, even if I don't always agree with her takes (she hated Birds of Prey and keeps crapping on it every chance she gets while I absolutely loved it).

webstar1000
07-26-2021, 08:21 AM
It's not a requirement to read the books to be able to comments on a trailer or analyze a movie. That said, her credentials and strengths are in comics, so I always go to her for comics-related stuff, even if I don't always agree with her takes (she hated Birds of Prey and keeps crapping on it every chance she gets while I absolutely loved it).

KNOWING the source material SHOULD and HAS to be a requirement. It is simply a must.... in order to do what she does. It loses credibility. Bill is right 100%. She had none before with me.. and this just solidifies that she is a buffoon.

mae
07-26-2021, 08:52 AM

KNOWING the source material SHOULD and HAS to be a requirement. It is simply a must.... in order to do what she does. It loses credibility. Bill is right 100%. She had none before with me.. and this just solidifies that she is a buffoon.

Do you always read the source material before watching any adaptation?

webstar1000
07-26-2021, 09:28 AM

Do you always read the source material before watching any adaptation?

No I do not. But nor do I do what she does. Little different...

Still Servant
07-27-2021, 06:16 PM
Siskel and Ebert reviewed thousands of films. I'm sure many were adapted from books. I doubt they were familiar with the source material before evaluating the film. They were film critics. They were giving their opinion on the quality of the film. Knowledge of the source material is 100% not required.

Merlin1958
07-27-2021, 06:44 PM
Siskel and Ebert reviewed thousands of films. I'm sure many were adapted from books. I doubt they were familiar with the source material before evaluating the film. They were film critics. They were giving their opinion on the quality of the film. Knowledge of the source material is 100% not required.

I hear you and don't disagree but, you have to admit she does, in this video anyway, come off like a complete idiot. Ideally, I would think you'd do a little basic research before hand or, maybe she just should have skipped the trailer and waited to view the entire film before offering a critique or breakdown. Of course, its just my opinion on this one video.

Also, FWIW, I don't recall, Siskel & Ebert ever breaking down a trailer like this in the day. I may be wrong just don't remember one.

webstar1000
07-28-2021, 05:09 AM
A friend of a friend got to view Dune. I chatted with him briefly... he said it might be his favourite movie of all time. He stated that it will fall among the greatest SciFi of all time without a doubt and that the movie blew by (its long) and left dying for more.... Talking with him made me even more exited to see this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
07-28-2021, 02:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS0Sdx7AdqI

Still Servant
07-28-2021, 04:20 PM

I hear you and don't disagree but, you have to admit she does, in this video anyway, come off like a complete idiot. Ideally, I would think you'd do a little basic research before hand or, maybe she just should have skipped the trailer and waited to view the entire film before offering a critique or breakdown. Of course, its just my opinion on this one video.

Also, FWIW, I don't recall, Siskel & Ebert ever breaking down a trailer like this in the day. I may be wrong just don't remember one.

Oh, I have no idea. I never watch her videos. She annoys the shit out of me. :lol:

A friend of a friend got to view Dune. I chatted with him briefly... he said it might be his favourite movie of all time. He stated that it will fall among the greatest SciFi of all time without a doubt and that the movie blew by (its long) and left dying for more.... Talking with him made me even more exited to see this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did he or she get to see it?

webstar1000
07-28-2021, 04:21 PM

Oh, I have no idea. I never watch her videos. She annoys the shit out of me. :lol:

How did her or she get to see it?

I asked that very question and all he would say was that he wouldn’t say. But was very adamant that this is a BIG deal movie wise. I tend to believe him.

Still Servant
07-28-2021, 04:22 PM
I have no doubt. I feel it's going to be the kind of movie that really has an impact on people.

webstar1000
07-28-2021, 04:33 PM
I have no doubt. I feel it's going to be the kind of movie that really has an impact on people.

He said this is one that you will go to the theatre more than once to see. I said Stars Like and he said maybe not like that but Matrix like. That was enough for me

mae
09-03-2021, 12:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbc4JhierFA

MikeDuke
09-03-2021, 12:51 PM
This is only one movie that will become part of a series correct?

Merlin1958
09-03-2021, 02:14 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

webstar1000
09-03-2021, 03:30 PM

This got me super excited. Then I open Google And the first one I see is how it’s a massive disappointment! I hope it stays up on Rotten… 82% now

Merlin1958
09-03-2021, 05:08 PM

This got me super excited. Then I open Google And the first one I see is how it’s a massive disappointment! I hope it stays up on Rotten… 82% now

Looking very much towards this film as well, Kris!!! I'm encouraged. Haven't seen any bad press myself yet. Wonderful source material for sure

mae
09-06-2021, 08:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huC_e9EkN8U

Stunning! Best Score Oscar guaranteed?

mae
09-13-2021, 07:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbMBvesE3T4

mae
09-17-2021, 04:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTmBeR32GRA

frik
09-17-2021, 05:31 AM
Saw Dune (in 3D) yesterday - absolutely loved it.
Will be back next week - but will attend the 2D version. The 3D glasses made an already dark movie even darker yet.

sk

mae
09-17-2021, 06:32 AM
They still release 3D movies?

webstar1000
09-17-2021, 06:54 AM
They still release 3D movies?

Its 100% coming back. The last 3 I seen were 3D!!!! Ten Rings was amazing in 3D~

fernandito
09-17-2021, 07:40 AM
Yeah honestly I completely forgot about 3D as well... :fairy:

@frik - what was your favorite aspect of the film? without getting into spoiler territory, of course...

mae
09-19-2021, 06:14 AM
This feels appropriate to post here. If y'all haven't seen all of DV's films, you really should. His first films are especially interesting because of how his style evolved. One of my favorites of his to this day is still 2009's Polytechnique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XC0dItruI

webstar1000
09-19-2021, 06:50 AM
This feels appropriate to post here. If y'all haven't seen all of DV's films, you really should. His first films are especially interesting because of how his style evolved. One of my favorites of his to this day is still 2009's Polytechnique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XC0dItruI

I’m a huge fan but have not seen Polytechnic….
It’s good eh? Worth seeing?

mae
09-19-2021, 07:04 AM
He's one of my favorite directors so I feel like all of his films are absolutely worth watching, but Polytechnique is one of his best, I feel. It's in the top ten for 2009 for me.

frik
09-19-2021, 07:59 AM
Yeah honestly I completely forgot about 3D as well... :fairy:

@frik - what was your favorite aspect of the film? without getting into spoiler territory, of course...

Will have to see it again before I can really answer this question - off the top of my head.....astonishing production design....immense sense of scale......wonderfully bombastic Zimmer soundtrack.....simply had a great time with this movie - not bored for a single second and can't wait for part 2 (fingers crossed.)

sk

fernandito
09-20-2021, 02:43 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to see it for myself.

Still Servant
09-20-2021, 04:34 PM
Denis is my boy. He's honestly my favorite working director right now. That being said, I've tried twice to get through Polytechnique and couldn't do it.

Also, the ridiculous 3D fad went extinct again about 3 years ago around here. I don't miss it for one second. Very few movies did it right. Chances are the films you are watching in 3D now are converted in post and not shot with 3D cameras. That completely defeats the purpose.

mae
10-04-2021, 11:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xea2sStGlNw

Lookwhoitis
10-04-2021, 06:03 PM
Denis is my boy. He's honestly my favorite working director right now. That being said, I've tried twice to get through Polytechnique and couldn't do it.

HAH! I want to see it (just to say I have) cant find a cheap copy on ebay.

Are August 32nd and Maelstrom obtainable?

Merlin1958
10-04-2021, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xea2sStGlNw

IMAX here I come!!! Can't wait!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mae
10-07-2021, 10:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBYsSos0xhY

mae
10-08-2021, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRN-X4V31Zc

mae
10-21-2021, 11:47 AM
Got my IMAX tickets for this Saturday matinee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVKNaJKETGA

Gonna go on a walk and listen to Klaus Schulze's Dune... it's been a while. An amazing album.

RUBE
10-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Pretty good movie. Too bad they didn't film the second one at the same time. The wait is going to be too long.

mae
10-22-2021, 07:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Mc4RTOeLg

mae
10-22-2021, 07:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mKJzGKb1c

Lookwhoitis
10-22-2021, 07:37 AM
I am going to go see the film in the theater after I score a copy of Centipede Dune.

webstar1000
10-22-2021, 07:42 AM
I am going to go see the film after I score a copy of Centipede Dune.
What if you dont? :panic:

Lookwhoitis
10-22-2021, 07:45 AM
I am going to go see the film after I score a copy of Centipede Dune.
What if you dont? :panic:

Then i'll watch it on HBO Max :P

Lookwhoitis
10-22-2021, 07:46 AM
to be serious though, I've been on the list since 2017, so I feel my chances are pretty good :D

webstar1000
10-22-2021, 07:54 AM
to be serious though, I've been on the list since 2017, so I feel my chances are pretty good :D

Your good then!

Still Servant
10-25-2021, 02:19 PM
Pretty good movie. Too bad they didn't film the second one at the same time. The wait is going to be too long.

The wait could be eternal! We need to tell everyone we know to go see Dune in theatres. Fuck streaming.

Merlin1958
10-25-2021, 03:21 PM
Much as I enjoyed the film I find it pretty fucked up that it was only one half of the story.

mae
10-25-2021, 03:40 PM
Much as I enjoyed the film I find it pretty fucked up that it was only one half of the story.

There's no way to tell the full story of the first book in a single movie. I think they found a good point to end on. It still works as an ending, just obviously more ambiguous. But I like endings like that. Of course, I hope we get Part Two, and Three, and more.

webstar1000
10-25-2021, 03:46 PM

There's no way to tell the full story of the first book in a single movie. I think they found a good point to end on. It still works as an ending, just obviously more ambiguous. But I like endings like that. Of course, I hope we get Part Two, and Three, and more.

Many of the bad reviews are just that. Mind you there isnt many bad reviews but most of them call it an incomplete movie. For me it prepared me so I embraced that and am
Very excited for the next one.

Merlin1958
10-25-2021, 04:01 PM

Many of the bad reviews are just that. Mind you there isnt many bad reviews but most of them call it an incomplete movie. For me it prepared me so I embraced that and am
Very excited for the next one.

Anyone recall the 1st LOTR by, Bakshi???

mae
10-25-2021, 04:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8pNEqq1CfQ

Merlin1958
10-25-2021, 04:30 PM
Not for nothing but what happened to Pink Floyd??? Don't recall hearing it at any time.

kingfan2323
10-25-2021, 09:01 PM
Hasn't it been known for years (2018) that the first book was going to be in two parts for the movie? And the opening title card says Dune Part One.

Kingfan24
10-25-2021, 09:04 PM
Dune: very abridged. I feel like literally nothing happened in this movie. Duncan’s death made me feel absolutely nothing.

mae
10-26-2021, 07:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVT0E4kOJbQ

MikeDuke
10-26-2021, 11:41 AM
Dune: very abridged. They should have done the first book in two movies.
I thought that was the plan.
P.S The expectations were a $30-$35mil opening. It made just over $40mil. And it has made 223+ million world wide. Although the 3 day drop is pretty steep. It cost $165mil so it does need to do better domestically.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dune-2-greenlit-movie-release-date-1235036655/

And there are a few sites that say 2023 will be Dune part 2
https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a37662998/dune-2-release-date/

mae
10-26-2021, 11:55 AM
Yes, seems like Part Two just got officially confirmed:

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1453058884516466691

This is only the beginning...

Thank you to those who have experienced @dunemovie
so far, and those who are going in the days and weeks ahead. We're excited to continue the journey!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCpNWqoVkAQI7Qs?format=jpg&name=large

webstar1000
10-26-2021, 12:35 PM
YESSSS DUNE 2 is coming.

mae
10-26-2021, 02:25 PM
And it's coming pretty fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7qhf9fjGo

webstar1000
10-26-2021, 02:28 PM
And it's coming pretty fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7qhf9fjGo

Lol she has a breakdown of a movie that’s not even out yet. Omf

Still Servant
10-26-2021, 02:52 PM
Wow! I'm so happy we don't have to wait ages for news of a second film. This puts me at ease.

mae
10-26-2021, 02:53 PM

It's a breakdown of the news.

webstar1000
10-26-2021, 02:54 PM

It's a breakdown of the news.

Something the world
Legitimately doesn’t need. I’m sorry. I cannot stand her.

Kingfan24
10-26-2021, 09:06 PM
Meh - part 1 was so lackluster. It felt like literally nothing happened in this movie. It was 2 and a half hours of setup for Dune part 2. None of the characters are relatable, no one built any types of relationships. Duncan’s "death" felt meaningless and hollow.

Aremag
10-28-2021, 08:49 AM
Meh - part 1 was so lackluster. It felt like literally nothing happened in this movie. It was 2 and a half hours of setup for Dune part 2. None of the characters are relatable, no one built any types of relationships. Duncan’s "death" felt meaningless and hollow.

I'm glad to read I'm not the only one that wasn't impressed with Dune. It is better than the Lynch fiasco but to me this Dune was just average.

Merlin1958
10-28-2021, 01:50 PM

I'm glad to read I'm not the only one that wasn't impressed with Dune. It is better than the Lynch fiasco but to me this Dune was just average.

You know, I have to kind of agree. Visually, this version was stunning. The cinematography in this version was far superior as were the FX, of course. Sometimes though, I feel like he fell in love with the visuals to the detriment of the story. I watched the. Lynch version right after and even though, Lynch was always a little wacky for me (JMHO) and of course didn't have the FX tech available now, he really didn't do a wholly terrible job on the film. In fact, I still believe some of his cast were better than the new ones. Sting, was born for the role of Feyd (I know he really hasn't entered, Denis' film so far) like, Nicholson was to be, Jack Torrance. Thufir, was a better fit in the Lynch version (IMHO). Lynchs', Jesscia was better to name a few. To be sure some of the new cast was spot on like, Paul, Gurney and Idaho. Chani as well.

Just seemed a little like, Denis spent a little too much time showing us the vistas of Aarakis and lagged the plot. IDK, as I said I enjoyed it but it was a little lacking. Made me appreciate the, Lynch failed attempt a little more and hopefully, he'll come out swinging in 2 years in part two.

Hunchback Jack
10-30-2021, 03:13 PM
I saw it in the theater yesterday. Generally, I’m hugely positive. Definitely should not be seen at home.

It’s a slow burn, much like the book.Very faithful to the text, apart from a couple of obvious departures. I think a few things did not come across particularly well, though, which may lead to some confusion. It’s hard to tell, because I understood what specific scenes meant, but I’m not sure someone who hadn’t read the book would. The movie was very Paul-centric, which I can understand, but longer scenes with other characters might have explained things better. I suspect we will have an extended edition of the film on home media.

The design and feel of the world was masterful. Acting was superb. I don’t think a better movie of Dune that is this faithful to the text could be made.

Still Servant
10-31-2021, 04:13 PM
I saw Dune again today and enjoyed it equally as much. The first showing was in 3D, which I didn't realize when I bought the tickets. I honestly didn't think it was still a thing.

One of my main issues with 3D has always been how it washes out the visuals. Needless to say, the film is even more stunning to look at than my initial impressions.

I do have a few things that stood out to me, both are spoilers.

Gurney just disappears. His character is built up as being a badass and someone who is important to the story. We see him rush off into battle, but we never see him again one way or the other. If he's dead, that's a pretty lame off-screen death. If he's alive, then a hint of that at some point would have been nice.

Bautista's character is built up as the main bad guy, but he never gets his "scene." Honestly, the fact that Duncan Idaho doesn't square off against him is a missed opportunity. I would have loved to have seen that.

All in all, Dune is one of the best theater experiences I have had in a long time and I really can't wait to explore this world more. This is also a day 1 Blu-ray purchase for me. Long live Denis.

Hunchback Jack
10-31-2021, 05:34 PM

The film did a better job of this than the book, in my humble opinion. When reading the book, you get a sense that Herbert has a lot of unwritten backstory about some of the supporting characters that he never included in the book itself. Gurney Halleck, Thufir Hawat, and Duncan Idaho are all present, and are shown to have a close relationship with Paul, but we don’t really get very many scenes of them before events leave them behind. Duncan’s death, particularly, doesn’t have the emotional resonance I think Herbert intended, precisely because we really don’t spend much time with him.

The movie included some exchanges between Duncan and Paul that showed a bond between them and added weight to those later scenes. I do understand that it might not have been enough for some, though.

Lookwhoitis
11-20-2021, 11:27 PM
saw Dune today in the theater and really enjoyed it. Visually spectacular.

My first time back in a theater in 18+ months

Still Servant
11-22-2021, 06:44 PM

Perfect film to welcome you back to the theater.

Hunchback Jack
11-22-2021, 09:44 PM

Perfect film to welcome you back to the theater.

Great movie for a return to the theater! It was my second movie since things opened up (the new Bond was the first).

Bev Vincent
11-23-2021, 05:41 AM
I watched it the other day on HBO Max. Still not ready to go back to a theater. I thought it was good. Not OMG good, but decent. I haven't read the book in decades, but I could remember scenes from it as they were playing out on the screen.

webstar1000
11-23-2021, 06:38 AM
I watched it the other day on HBO Max. Still not ready to go back to a theater. I thought it was good. Not OMG good, but decent. I haven't read the book in decades, but I could remember scenes from it as they were playing out on the screen.

I think you would think more of it had you seen it in theatre. And to back Bev… it’s safe and you will be happy you did.

Still Servant
11-23-2021, 03:52 PM

Pick the right time and you will likely be by yourself. I've been going to the movies since they reopened back up in September of 2020. I would say about a dozen of those times I was the only person in the theater.

Recently, there are more people, but if you pick an early showing, you will be one of a very few people.

ICry4Oy
11-23-2021, 08:48 PM
I quit going in theaters way before any pandemic. People are just stupid and rude in theaters - always talking, moving around, playing on their f'ing phones, etc. We do go to the drive-in now and then but would much rather just watch at home.

webstar1000
11-24-2021, 07:01 AM
I quit going in theaters way before any pandemic. People are just stupid and rude in theaters - always talking, moving around, playing on their f'ing phones, etc. We do go to the drive-in now and then but would much rather just watch at home.

I don't see that at all. I love going to the movies:)

ICry4Oy
11-24-2021, 09:15 AM

You live in a much smaller city than I do (Dallas) and well, Canadians are overall much more polite than Americans! :smile:

webstar1000
11-24-2021, 09:44 AM

You live in a much smaller city than I do (Dallas) and well, Canadians are overall much more polite than Americans! :smile:

yes We try to be polite. lol About half a million where i live so a lot smaller

Still Servant
11-29-2021, 06:10 PM

First showing on a Sunday. It will be you and two old ladies. I guarantee it.

Joe315
11-29-2021, 07:06 PM

Be happy this isn’t a thing in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B74wD5sfktg

Hunchback Jack
11-30-2021, 09:01 AM
I’ve been lucky in that the two times I’ve been back to the theater recently, we’ve had a good number of people in the theater, but they all seem to be there to watch the movie. It was nice seeing it with other people without any of the downsides of loud talking or people moving around.

I think the theater layout helped as well. These were big comfortable seats with some distance between them, so quiet talking wasn’t heard.

webstar1000
12-02-2021, 02:16 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dune-Signed-Limited-by-Centipede-Press-Frank-Herbert-/224719713122?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

mae
05-03-2023, 09:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Way9Dexny3w

DoctorZaius
05-03-2023, 11:11 AM
The trailer for part two looks excellent. I hope it's as good as the first one, and really hope that they continue with the series into Dune Messiah.

Cook
05-04-2023, 04:27 AM
The trailer for part two looks excellent. I hope it's as good as the first one, and really hope that they continue with the series into Dune Messiah.

Agree with all :thumbsup:

fernandito
05-04-2023, 07:39 AM
That looks freaking amazing. The visuals are just insane. Is Denis V. the premiere sci-fi director of our generation? I can't think of anyone else that comes close.

The score is fantastic too, such an underrated component of the craft.

Can't wait for November! I hardly splash cash for premium IMAX formats these days, but for this one I'm going all out.

MikeDuke
05-04-2023, 08:57 AM
The director said that trilogy would be Dune, Dune part 2, and Dune Messiah. He said that wraps up the Paul story well he has no desire to move on beyond that. I did read
some articles that they may try and continue with more books, but I don't know what exactly they are thinking about doing. I just hope that two books in three movies can
be wrapped up with a real ending and not with a cliffhanger. But the trailer does look awesome.

mae
05-04-2023, 09:41 AM
I’m sure Denis wants to do things other than Dune, so he could produce subsequent sequels but I do hope they do all the books.

fernandito
05-04-2023, 09:41 AM
A Dune trilogy would be aces. Admittedly I've never read Dune Messiah, but if DV is involved again I'm sure it'll be awesome.

DoctorZaius
05-04-2023, 12:41 PM
A Dune trilogy would be aces. Admittedly I've never read Dune Messiah, but if DV is involved again I'm sure it'll be awesome.

Messiah is brilliant, as are the two that follow, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune. After that, I kinda lost my interest.

MikeDuke
05-05-2023, 07:38 PM
I tried to read Dune, got pretty far, but it did become tough. I might try again. Can they do a full complete story with using only two books and 3 movies? Can it be wrapped up
like that to a final ending that does not leave you hanging? I heard yes, because that is basically Paul's story. Is that correct about it being Paul's story?

DoctorZaius
05-06-2023, 10:52 AM
Yes, three would work, as Dune Messiah clocks in at roughly half as many pages as Dune itself. The next book, Children of Dune, is just that, about Paul's children. God Emperor of Dune wraps up the tale of the children as well. Again, for me. beyond book four become tough chores.

MikeDuke
05-06-2023, 12:04 PM
Yes, three would work, as Dune Messiah clocks in at roughly half as many pages as Dune itself. The next book, Children of Dune, is just that, about Paul's children. God Emperor of Dune wraps up the tale of the children as well. Again, for me. beyond book four become tough chores.
Thanks. As long as I am not left hanging with and.... what's next.

mae
06-29-2023, 10:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YUzQa_1RCE

DoctorZaius
06-29-2023, 11:06 AM
Dune Part 2 looks sooooo...good!

webstar1000
06-29-2023, 11:10 AM

I CANT WAIT.

mae
08-24-2023, 03:04 PM
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dune-2-delayed-2024-strikes-1235703991/

“Dune: Part Two” has been delayed to 2024.

The story of Paul Atreides, played by Timothée Chalamet, will be continued on March 15.

Warner Bros. made the announcement Thursday after Variety exclusively reported last month that the company was eyeing a 2024 date for the sci-fi tentpole. Legendary Entertainment co-produced “Dune: Part Two” with Warner Bros. Film Group, and both parties had to agree on a new release date.

As part of the shift, “Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire” — which was previously dated for March 14 — is getting pushed back one month to April 12. The film is also produced by Legendary and Warner Bros. and is the latest entry in the Monsterverse franchise.

The “Dune” delay comes as the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes continue to drag on. Due to the SAG-AFTRA strike, actors may not do press for any struck films, which would have meant the star-studded “Dune” cast would not have been on the press circuit for the big-budget film.

The date change is not expected to have a material impact on IMAX, who has fall product in titles like “The Equalizer 3,” “Wonka” and “The Marvels” (assuming none of those titles move on the calendar, as well). Both WB and Legendary are confident that next year’s spring break for students and the Easter holiday will provide runway for both titles to succeed.

In addition to Chalamet, the “Dune: Part Two” cast includes Zendaya, Austin Butler, Florence Pugh, Rebecca Ferguson, Javier Bardem Dave Bautista, Christopher Walken, Lea Seydoux and more.

As Variety reported last month, Warner Bros. was also assessing possible delays to 2024 for “The Color Purple” (Dec. 25) and “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” (Dec. 20), but the studio currently plans to retain December dates for both titles.

Sony is the only other major studio to delay several of its movies amid the strikes; last month the company pushed back “Kraven the Hunter” and a “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” sequel to 2024, in addition to removing “Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse” from the release calendar. And “Dune: Part Two” isn’t the only Zendaya-starring movie to get delayed; MGM’s “Challengers,” a tennis drama starring Zendaya, Mike Faist and Josh O’Connor, also moved to next year.

fernandito
08-25-2023, 09:14 AM
Had a feeling this was gonna happen. Its all good, Mar 15 will be here sooner than we think.

DoctorZaius
08-25-2023, 01:22 PM

I CANT WAIT.

Ahhh, now you will have to. :P

mae
08-28-2023, 12:12 PM
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/denis-villeneuve-teases-dune-part-three-dune-messiah-exclusive/

From the beginning, Denis Villeneuve’s plan for Dune was to adapt Frank Herbert’s original tome as an epic two-part movie experience. And thankfully, given the success of Dune back in 2021, he got the green light to complete his adaptation with this year’s Dune: Part Two. So far, so good. But as Dune completists know, the story doesn’t end there. Herbert continued the story of Arrakis in a series of subsequent novels, before his son Brian took over to continue it even further – and if Part Two performs well too, Villeneuve might not be done with the sand (or the sandworms) quite yet.

Rumours have swirled that Villeneuve could be eyeing up more Dune for the big screen – and, as he tells Empire in our world-exclusive Dune: Part Two cover story, that is indeed the case. “If I succeed in making a trilogy, that would be the dream,” he says. Part Three, then, would consist of Dune Messiah, Herbert’s direct follow-up to Dune. “Dune Messiah was written in reaction to the fact that people perceived Paul Atreides as a hero,” Villeneuve explains. “Which is not what he wanted to do. My adaptation [of Dune] is closer to his idea that it’s actually a warning.” If it does happen, the Messiah-spanning Dune: Part Three would mark the end of Villeneuve’s time on Arrakis. “After that the books become more… esoteric,” he says.

And while any future Dune sequels once again hinge on the box office results of Part Two, Villeneuve’s plans for Part Three aren’t just nebulous thoughts. “I will say, there are words on paper,” he teases. Fingers crossed, there will eventually be images on a screen too.

fernandito
08-28-2023, 01:40 PM
Yeah I've Wiki'd a summary of the latter books beyond Book 3 and let's just say there's some... interesting narrative choices lol.

I'd love for him to at least do Messiah tho.

craigobau
09-06-2023, 11:23 AM
For those who liked David Lynch’s adaptation of Dune, this book sounds really interesting;

https://screenrant.com/masterpiece-in-disarray-david-lynch-dune-oral-history-book-excerpt-exclusive/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterpiece-Disarray-David-Lynchs-History/dp/1948221292/ref=pd_lutyp_d_bmx_gp_6f39401n_sccl_4_5/262-5276625-2640947?pd_rd_w=w4W1R&content-id=amzn1.sym.3d10a5aa-039f-4e49-bab7-89039678e508&pf_rd_p=3d10a5aa-039f-4e49-bab7-89039678e508&pf_rd_r=CMFEB1RDBYW9NBRK0TVB&pd_rd_wg=pMLmz&pd_rd_r=a1ebf73d-9ace-41da-8a63-5c0aee016d2f&pd_rd_i=1948221292&psc=1

Hunchback Jack
09-10-2023, 01:53 PM
Dune Messiah is a natural stopping point for a trilogy, and it’s good that Villeneuve is planting seeds and setting the tone for that conclusion to the narrative. The next book, Children of Dune, although concluding the book trilogy, really starts a new narrative involving Paul’s children.

After Messiah the next stopping point is really the end of book 4, God Emperor of Dune, but there are a lot of pages and narrative years between books 2 and 4. You could do a second trilogy covering that material, though.

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-10-2023, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on that book, I ordered a copy.
I'm a big David Lynch fan, and so I needed one.
(Except for INLAND EMPIRE, of course)

mae
12-12-2023, 09:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Qp5pL3ovA

fernandito
12-13-2023, 03:37 PM
Looks cool. I like the DV's Dune films because they have the substance Blade Runner 2049 lacked, which at times just felt like 3 hours of conceptional art and slim pickings on the rest.

Also can I take a small break from Timothy Chamalet after this. Can't go 2 days without seeing this dude on my feeds.

mae
01-28-2024, 06:38 PM
Got my tickets for the IMAX fan screening on 2/25:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVQRnDFZ1Qs