PDA

View Full Version : The Last of Us on HBO

fernandito
03-05-2020, 05:02 PM
'The Last of Us' Series in the Works at HBO From 'Chernobyl' Creator Craig Mazin, Neil Druckmann (Exclusive) (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/last-us-series-works-at-hbo-chernobyl-creator-1282707)

In a rare development in the world of video game adaptations, the writer and creative director of the game, Neil Druckmann, is also involved and will work with Mazin to pen and executive produce what is intended to be a series.

Carolyn Strauss will also executive produce along with Evan Wells, the president of Naughty Dog, the Santa Monica-based developer of the game. The project is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television in association with PlayStation Productions. It will be the first television series from PlayStation Productions.

Launched in 2013, Sony and Naughty Dog's The Last of Us garnered critical praise for its engrossing tale of the post apocalypse, centering on the relationship between Joel, a smuggler in this new world, and Ellie, a teenager who may be key to a cure for the deadly pandemic.

Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle the14-year-old girl out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival. The HBO series will cover the events of the original game, which was written by Druckmann, with the possibility of additional content based on the forthcoming game sequel, The Last of Us Part II, which will release on May 29, 2020.

webstar1000
03-05-2020, 05:40 PM
This sounds so good!

Hunchback Jack
03-05-2020, 05:59 PM
Makes total sense, given the video game was more or less an interactive movie.

Joe315
03-05-2020, 06:23 PM
The game was awesome. Hope they do it justice.

Mattrick
03-05-2020, 07:00 PM
I hope it isn't about Joel and Ellie.

Joe315
03-05-2020, 07:32 PM

“The HBO series will cover the events of the original game.”

webstar1000
03-06-2020, 05:15 AM

WHo else would it be about? lol

Still Servant
03-06-2020, 06:45 PM
People will brush it off as a Walking Dead clone, and that will be a shame.

Kongo
03-06-2020, 08:29 PM
I have complete faith in this, especially since Neil Druckman is involved. The game is easily one of the best of its generation, and I'm happy more people will get to experience it

Mattrick
03-06-2020, 09:13 PM

Literally anybody else.

Still Servant
03-07-2020, 06:05 PM

Literally anybody else.

But Joel dealing with the death of his daughter and the blossoming of his relationship with Ellie, who ends up being like a defacto daughter to him is the crux of the entire game and one of the many things that makes it so good.

Mattrick
03-07-2020, 08:38 PM

Literally anybody else.

But Joel dealing with the death of his daughter and the blossoming of his relationship with Ellie, who ends up being like a defacto daughter to him is the crux of the entire game and one of the many things that makes it so good.

Yes and I've seen that story half a dozen times already. Short of them totally rewriting it so it's different, what is the point when I can just pop the game back in? It would be one thing if they did years of story leading up to Ellie, Better Call Saul style,, since there's so much time between the intro of the game and the game itself. At least that would be different.

Still Servant
03-11-2020, 09:13 AM
I'm not opposed to a different story, I can understand why they want to stick with the same one. Yes, it's been done before, but that's hardly a good reason not to do it.

fernandito
03-11-2020, 09:19 AM
It's been done before but not nearly as good. I'm not necessarily opposed to new story either, but my interest in the show would drop significantly if its not about Joel & Ellie.

Besides, a full season (or 2, or 3) gives the creators the chance to enrich the texture of the story, similar to what Netflix is doing for Castlevania.

WeDealInLead
03-11-2020, 11:03 AM
I don't play video games so I'd prefer the origin story, thanks.

webstar1000
03-11-2020, 11:31 AM
I don't play video games so I'd prefer the origin story, thanks.

100%

mae
11-20-2020, 12:02 PM
https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/media-release/hbo-gives-series-order-last-us-craig-mazin-and-neil-druckmann-write-and-executive

HBO has given a series order to the drama THE LAST OF US, it was announced today by Francesca Orsi, Executive Vice President, HBO Programming. Craig Mazin (HBO’s “Chernobyl”), Neil Druckmann (“The Last of Us” and “Uncharted” video game franchises), and Carolyn Strauss (HBO’s “Chernobyl” and “Game of Thrones”) are executive producers along with Naughty Dog’s Evan Wells and PlayStation Productions’ Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan. Written by Mazin and Druckmann, the series is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television. PlayStation Productions, Word Games, and Naughty Dog produce.

“Craig and Neil are visionaries in a league of their own,” said Orsi. “With them at the helm alongside the incomparable Carolyn Strauss, this series is sure to resonate with both die-hard fans of ‘The Last of Us’ games and newcomers to this genre-defining saga. We’re delighted to partner with Naughty Dog, Word Games, Sony and PlayStation to adapt this epic, powerfully immersive story.”

“We’re thrilled to be working with HBO and this fantastic creative team to bring ‘The Last of Us’ series to life,” said Jeff Frost, President of Sony Pictures Television Studios and Asad Qizilbash, Head of PlayStation Productions. “PlayStation’s innovative storytelling and ingenuity is a natural complement to SPT’s creative focus. Our collaboration is a great example of our ‘One Sony’ philosophy at work. We look forward to developing even more iconic game IP in the future.”

Based on the critically acclaimed video game “The Last of Us,” developed by Naughty Dog exclusively for the PlayStation® platforms, the story takes place twenty years after modern civilization has been destroyed. Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle Ellie, a 14-year-old girl, out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.

“The Last of Us” will be available on HBO and to stream on HBO Max.

Still Servant
11-22-2020, 04:45 PM
I have faith that the creators of Chernobyl can do this justice.

fernandito
11-23-2020, 08:57 AM
The tandem of Chernobyl creators + Druckmann who's a great writer in his own right make me believe this will be the new, true gold standard for video game adaptations. They have everything they need creatively to make this a success.

Still Servant
11-23-2020, 05:43 PM
The tandem of Chernobyl creators + Druckmann who's a great writer in his own right make me believe this will be the new, true gold standard for video game adaptations. They have everything they need creatively to make this a success.

God, I hope so.

fernandito
01-19-2021, 01:25 PM
The Last of Us HBO TV Series Gets a New Director (https://www.ign.com/articles/the-last-of-us-hbo-tv-series-gets-a-new-director)

HBO’s The Last of Us Series officially has a new director. The Oscar-nominated Beanpole director Kantemir Balagov will direct the adaptation of Naughty Dog’s hit post-apocalyptic adventure game, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Beanpole, a drama focused on two women in post-WWII Leningrad, was selected as Russia’s entry for Best International Feature Film for the 92nd Academy Awards in 2019, but ultimately lost to South Korea’s Parasite. Beanpole earned Balagov the Cannes Film Festival’s best director award in 2019.

Balagov also directed 2017’s drama Closeness, a drama centering on a kidnapping of a young couple and the subsequent ransoming.

Balagov’s somber aesthetic is likely a factor in HBO’s decision to hire him, likely ensuring a dark tone congruent with the original game’s harrowing tale, and likely pairs well with writer and executive producer Craig Mazin. Mazin’s Chernobyl series was similarly known for being visually and thematically somber.

It was originally reported that the project would reunite Mazin and Chernobyl director Johan Renck, at least for the first episode, but THR reports that he has dropped out due to a scheduling conflict.

The Last of Us series was officially greenlit by HBO in November last year. The game’s creative director and writer Neil Druckmann is also writing and executive producing the series.

Sony Pictures Chairman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra announced in December last year that the studio is currently developing seven shows and three movies based on PlayStation properties. Vinciquerra didn’t clarify if The Last of Us series and Uncharted film were included in that count.

The Last of Us series doesn’t have an official premier date, but it’s estimated that it may debut alongside The Walking Dead’s final season.

Still Servant
01-19-2021, 06:29 PM
I continue to have hope for this.

mae
02-11-2021, 07:27 AM
https://deadline.com/2021/02/pedro-pascal-star-joel-the-last-of-us-hbo-series-video-game-playstation-1234691935/

In one of the biggest TV castings of the year, The Mandalorian star Pedro Pascal is set to headline The Last Of Us, HBO’s high-profile series adaptation of the Sony Playstation franchise from Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann.

Based on the critically acclaimed video game The Last of Us, developed by Naughty Dog exclusively for the PlayStation platforms, the story takes place twenty years after modern civilization has been destroyed. Joel (Pascal), a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle Ellie (Game of Thrones‘ Bella Ramsey), a 14-year-old girl, out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.

Pascal’s Joel, tormented by past trauma and failure, must trek across a pandemic-ravaged America, all the while protecting a girl who represents the last hope of humanity.

This marks a homecoming for Pascal who became a household name with his role as Oberyn Martell on HBO’s mega hit Game Of Thrones.

Pascal currently stars in Disney+’s hugely popular and acclaimed series The Mandalorian, which recently received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Drama Series. He will continue on the Star Wars series, where he is used sparingly because of the nature of his character, though The Last Of Us has him in first position.

The actor recently became available for a new series, attracting multiple big offers from top premium networks and streamers, opting to do The Last Of Us.

Pascal is coming off starring as the villain, Max Lord, in Wonder Woman 1984. The Narcos and Kingsman: The Golden Circle star is currently in production on Judd Apatow’s The Bubble for Netflix. He is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Jackoway Austen Tyerman.

Kantemir Balagov is directing the pilot episode of The Last Of Us, a co-production with with Sony Pictures Television. PlayStation Productions, Word Games, The Mighty Mint, and Naughty Dog.

Druckmann and Mazin write and executive produce; Carolyn Strauss (Game of Thrones, Chernobyl) also executive produces along with Naughty Dog president Evan Wells alongside Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan of PlayStation Productions.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/last-of-us-game-of-thrones-breakout-bella-ramsey-to-star-as-ellie

Bella Ramsey, perhaps best known for her breakout role as the fierce Lyanna Mormont in HBO’s Game of Thrones, is reuniting with the cabler to star in The Last of Us, the company’s adaptation of the hit video game.

Craig Mazin, who created HBO’s acclaimed limited series Chernobyl, is penning the script and executive producing with Neil Druckmann, the writer and creative director of the game. Russian filmmaker Kantemir Balagov, the Cannes darling behind 2019 drama Beanpole, has been tapped to direct the pilot.

One person not involved with the show is former True Detective star Mahershala Ali, whom geek websites on Wednesday had pegged as having an offer. Ali did circle a role, say sources, but a deal ever came to fruition.

Last of Us, from Sony and game developer Naughty Dog, took the world by storm when it was released in 2013, winning numerous game of the year awards and going on to sell more than 17 million copies across both its original release on the PlayStation 3 and re-release on the PlayStation 4. The game’s popularity has only grown since.

The story, set 20 years after modern civilization has been destroyed, centers on the relationship between Joel, a smuggler in this new world, and Ellie, a teenager who may be the key to a cure for a deadly pandemic. Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle the 14-year-old girl out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey as they traverse the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.

Ramsey will play Ellie, a 14-year-old orphan who has never known anything but a ravaged planet and who struggles to balance her instinct for anger and defiance with her need for connection and belonging … as well as the newfound reality that she may be the key to saving the world.

The series is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television. PlayStation Productions, Word Games, The Mighty Mint and game developer Naughty Dog produce. Also executive producing are Carolyn Strauss, Naughty Dog’s Evan Wells, and Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan of PlayStation Productions.

Ramsey, 17, skyrocketed to fame after her fierce portrayal of Lyanna Mormont in HBO's Emmy-winning fantasy drama Game of Thrones. The role marked her acting debut. She's repped by Conway van Gelder Grant and Gang Tyre.

fernandito
02-11-2021, 08:10 AM
We got our Joel and Ellie. Let's roll baby!

https://www.etonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/max_970x546/public/images/2021-02/blank_1280_x_720_31.png?h=c673cd1c&itok=IU5i5PnC

Still Servant
02-11-2021, 06:02 PM
I'm good. Just give Pedro some facial hair and make him a little more grizzled and he's all set.

mae
03-20-2021, 07:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54yqJym8nA0

Still Servant
03-21-2021, 03:46 PM
Please be good.

fernandito
03-22-2021, 05:47 AM
as long as Druckmann is at the helm, I have the utmost confidence this will turn out great.

fernandito
09-27-2021, 08:34 AM
First Image Of The Last Of Us Live-Action Series From HBO (https://kotaku.com/first-image-of-the-last-of-us-live-action-series-from-h-1847750359)

mae
08-22-2022, 08:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWsY3DlLdIA

fernandito
08-22-2022, 09:55 AM
Pedro got the voice down PAT. It'll take me some time to get used to that actress as Ellie, but as long as she's able to pull off the Ellie-isms I'll be fine.

Man if they get this right it could truly become something special. I feel like playing the games through again.

webstar1000
08-22-2022, 10:18 AM
Pedro got the voice down PAT. It'll take me some time to get used to that actress as Ellie, but as long as she's able to pull off the Ellie-isms I'll be fine.

Man if they get this right it could truly become something special. I feel like playing the games through again.

are the games good?

Joe315
08-22-2022, 10:24 AM

are the games good?

The first one was great. I haven't played the second.

fernandito
08-22-2022, 11:52 AM

are the games good?

Yes. The 2 games together form one of my all time favorite stories, any medium (books, movies, comics etc.,)

If you own a Playstation, no reason not to play them!

mae
08-22-2022, 12:26 PM
If you own a Playstation, no reason not to play them!

And they're being remastered for PC, and coming soon.

Still Servant
08-30-2022, 03:54 PM

are the games good?

Good would be putting it really, really, really mildly.

fernandito
09-20-2022, 01:44 PM
Getting closer... :cool:

mae
09-26-2022, 09:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBRRDpQ0yc0

webstar1000
09-26-2022, 09:28 AM
Reminds me a bit of the first/second season Walking Dead when it was legit magical in many ways. I really am excited for this.. I feel these guys seen them losing thier way and know what to do... to not go that route!

fernandito
09-27-2022, 09:06 AM
Like I said from the beginning, I have complete faith in this creative team. Both in front and behind the camera. I just have this gut feeling that this show will be special.

Druckmann from Naughty Dog is involved so I know it will be as faithful to the games as humanly possible. And that shot of the Clicker (name of the infected) is almost a 1:1 of the games.

Can't wait!

fernandito
09-27-2022, 09:07 AM
Also I've been bumping that song from the trailer all morning lol.

Mattrick
09-28-2022, 02:25 PM
I want to have high hopes for this. It's just hard to ever get excited for any video game adaptation. Fallout is my favourite game franchise and I'm not even pumped for that. The only thing from this trailer that really grabbed me was the scenes clearly from the outbreak in the games intro, it looks like they might have nailed that. Ideally I'd like the entire first episode to be pre-outbreak/outbreak.

mae
11-06-2022, 11:55 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgkugNbVUAAPAVS?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

webstar1000
11-07-2022, 06:30 AM
I want to have high hopes for this. It's just hard to ever get excited for any video game adaptation. Fallout is my favourite game franchise and I'm not even pumped for that. The only thing from this trailer that really grabbed me was the scenes clearly from the outbreak in the games intro, it looks like they might have nailed that. Ideally I'd like the entire first episode to be pre-outbreak/outbreak.

You will always have Walking Dead brother and Negan lol Lets be honest... there is no way this could be worse than what The Walking Dead turned into.

mae
12-03-2022, 01:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLtkt8BonwM

fernandito
12-05-2022, 09:25 AM
getting closer...

webstar1000
12-05-2022, 09:35 AM
getting closer...

I never played the game BUT I am VERY pumped for this. It has the vibe that WD did for the first couple seasons. I REALLY hope they can keep that vibe alive for the run it goes on. The second trailer was AMAZING...

Joe315
12-05-2022, 04:35 PM
getting closer...

I never played the game BUT I am VERY pumped for this. It has the vibe that WD did for the first couple seasons. I REALLY hope they can keep that vibe alive for the run it goes on. The second trailer was AMAZING...

The game is great. Haven’t played the second yet though. Might be better you didn’t play it so you won’t have any preconceived ideas of what the show should be.

mae
01-05-2023, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7L8AGYAjrE

T-Dogz_AK47
01-06-2023, 02:03 AM

The Last of Us is amazing and has probably the most immersive and gripping storyline ever produced for a video game. The fact that the production and design team were heavily inspired by the novel The Road by Cormac McCarthy when creating the game demonstrates how good this is. It's nothing short of a masterpiece.

fernandito
01-06-2023, 08:56 AM
Yeap. It was once called the "Citizen Kane of video games". While I think that's a little hyperbolic, there's no denying its place in the inner sanctum of all time greatest games.

Its one of my favorite stories, regardless of medium. The fact that it's presented in such an immersive fashion is the icing on the cake.

Can't believe we have to wait just one more week+! :excited:

Still Servant
01-09-2023, 06:18 PM
It's not even a game to me. It's an experience. It's perfect in every way.

webstar1000
01-10-2023, 04:12 AM
The early reviews are GLOWING with praise....

Still Servant
01-16-2023, 04:57 PM
I thought it was very well made and it truly felt like the game. You can tell there's been a lot of care taken here. Looking forward to the ride.

Merlin1958
01-16-2023, 09:09 PM
:rock::rock:

Bev Vincent
01-17-2023, 04:03 AM
I know absolutely nothing about the game, but the cast is terrific and I enjoyed the first double episode. The design of the creatures looks amazing.

webstar1000
01-17-2023, 04:29 AM
The first episode was all that and more for me!!!! Wowowowow 11/10. My new fav show for sure…. Cannot wait for next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St. Troy
01-17-2023, 09:56 AM
I know nothing of the game, but I liked the first episode.

Some thoughts:

- I like the whole fungus idea (it works in that it makes me nervous - could something like this happen??)

- Fun to see Big Head from Silicon Valley pop up

- I'm not sure if I actually dislike Bella Ramsey (who plays Ellie) or if she's doing a great job playing a character I dislike (I get the feeling we're supposed to sympathize with Ellie, but I can't)

- Sometimes with (post)apocalyptic stories, I end up preferring the very beginning (where everything goes to shit) to everything that follows - now I wait to see if it moves forward, or bogs down into a season of dark 'n' dirty walking occasionally interrupted by yelling and dying ("we've discovered the location of the next outpost!" isn't plot development; it is plot deferment).

T-Dogz_AK47
01-17-2023, 11:38 PM
The casting choice for Ellie is piss poor. thumbsdownsmall

Still Servant
01-18-2023, 05:58 PM

Yeah, I agree. Maybe she will grow on me, but I hate to say this, she's odd looking to me.

I know she had a small role on Game of Thrones that everyone really lost their minds over, but there's something off about her face.

ICry4Oy
01-19-2023, 08:04 AM

Yeah, I agree. Maybe she will grow on me, but I hate to say this, she's odd looking to me.

I know she had a small role on Game of Thrones that everyone really lost their minds over, but there's something off about her face.

I don't do video games, so I have no preconceived notions about the character or the show. So far I love it and think she is doing a great job.

Brian861
01-19-2023, 11:21 AM

That's where I've seen her. Couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Iwritecode
01-19-2023, 12:46 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that. :wtf:

Iwritecode
01-19-2023, 12:49 PM

I don't do video games, so I have no preconceived notions about the character or the show. So far I love it and think she is doing a great job.

There was/is one actor that everyone thought of when they saw Ellie in the game.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right-click/ellen-page-critical-look-alike-character-last-us-183716900.html

fernandito
01-19-2023, 04:51 PM
First episode was phenomenal. In terms of world-building pilots, that was one of the best I've ever seen. Loving the respect to the source material.

Give the Ellie actress a chance, I'm sure she'll grow on you. I trust Druckmann/Mazin's decision to cast her.

Still Servant
01-19-2023, 05:02 PM

There was/is one actor that everyone thought of when they saw Ellie in the game.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right-click/ellen-page-critical-look-alike-character-last-us-183716900.html

Ellen Page was definitely the perfect casting for that role back in the day. Now, that might be a bit of an issue...

Mattrick
01-20-2023, 07:58 AM
If the adapted this 5 years ago, Kaitlyn Dever would've been perfect for Ellie.

https://static.onecms.io/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2019/09/unbelievable_101_unit_01125r-2000.jpg

webstar1000
01-20-2023, 08:07 AM
I have NO issues with the cast.. BUT I have not played the game either.

fernandito
01-20-2023, 10:07 AM
I have NO issues with the cast.. BUT I have not played the game either.

You're lucky, you can go into the show fresh without any preconceived notions of what the cast 'should' look like.

I've played, replayed the games numerous times so even for me it's difficult to not have an image in my head of what Ellie should look like. I'm sure once I get another ep or two under my belt I'll be able to assess the actress on her own merits.

fernandito
01-20-2023, 10:08 AM

https://static.onecms.io/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2019/09/unbelievable_101_unit_01125r-2000.jpg

Holy crap she looks just like her lmao.

Sadie Sink would have been another good choice too

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/Sadie_Sink_1-00895_%2843866089942%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

mae
01-20-2023, 10:48 AM
I'm not a strong believer in the "they should look exactly like the character" thing. Pedro doesn't look much like Joel and nobody says anything.

Mattrick
01-20-2023, 11:07 AM

Holy crap she looks just like her lmao.

Sadie Sink would have been another good choice too

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/Sadie_Sink_1-00895_%2843866089942%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Yeah, Kaitlyn really could have portrayed Ellie as a character very well too. I liked Sadie in The Whale, but that's the only thing I've seen her in.

Iwritecode
01-20-2023, 12:21 PM
Yeah, Kaitlyn really could have portrayed Ellie as a character very well too. I liked Sadie in The Whale, but that's the only thing I've seen her in.

You've never watched Stranger Things? :frown2:

Mattrick
01-20-2023, 03:09 PM

No. I avoided all that 80s nostalgia stuff. Barely heard anything about it after the first season so I assumed it went off a cliff.

fernandito
01-21-2023, 05:20 PM
I'm not a strong believer in the "they should look exactly like the character" thing.

Me either but it's always a nice touch, and an appreciated one.

Pedro doesn't look much like Joel and nobody says anything.

Idk about that

https://i0.wp.com/blog.indiegala.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/cover-6.jpg?fit=1400%2C700&ssl=1

Vigoran
01-22-2023, 08:31 AM
If it stays true to the game, the end of this season will have audiences losing their minds.

Merlin1958
01-22-2023, 09:52 AM
Really good start and looking forward to more. Haven't played the game so I guess I'm objective. Cast seems solid so far. I'm getting a real, McGammon (?) "Song of Sussanah" hit so far anyone else? Not that it is a bad thing, Good book, good show so far.

Iwritecode
01-23-2023, 08:02 AM

No. I avoided all that 80s nostalgia stuff. Barely heard anything about it after the first season so I assumed it went off a cliff.

That's surprising. The last season kind of exploded and jolted 2 songs from the 80s back onto the music charts again.

You should check it out. It's really good.

fernandito
01-23-2023, 03:01 PM
Episode 2 was awesome. That encounter in the museum was almost ripped straight from the game.

According to some advanced reviews, episode 3 might be the best ep of the whole season. Stoked!

webstar1000
01-23-2023, 05:12 PM
Episode 2 was awesome. That encounter in the museum was almost ripped straight from the game.

According to some advanced reviews, episode 3 might be the best ep of the whole season. Stoked!

Man I’m legit gonna buy a Sony 5 to play this. That episode was OFF THE CHARTS. It’s my favorite show out now. 11/10. If they keep this up??!! Will be my all time favorite show

ICry4Oy
01-24-2023, 09:10 AM

That's surprising. The last season kind of exploded and jolted 2 songs from the 80s back onto the music charts again.

Haven't watched ST since season one. But every time i'd turn on the radio, that damned Running Up The Hill song was on. Hated that song in the 80's and hate it even more now.

Iwritecode
01-24-2023, 11:29 AM

Haven't watched ST since season one. But every time i'd turn on the radio, that damned Running Up The Hill song was on. Hated that song in the 80's and hate it even more now.

I don't remember ever hearing it in the 80's. It was ok the few times they played it in the show but the radio stations certainly beat it to death.

Still Servant
01-24-2023, 05:08 PM

Nope! I could argue the last two seasons have been the best.

webstar1000
01-25-2023, 06:54 AM

Pass... the first season was the best. I felt it got progressively worse and boring/repetitive.

Merlin1958
01-25-2023, 10:45 AM
I'm enjoying it so far. Ep 2 was intense!! Looks like tis show will take us right into S2 of "Yellowjackets" as well!! Good stuff ahead for the show and us as viewers!!!

fernandito
01-25-2023, 10:58 AM

Man I’m legit gonna buy a Sony 5 to play this. That episode was OFF THE CHARTS. It’s my favorite show out now. 11/10. If they keep this up??!! Will be my all time favorite show

Do it! TLoU universe is one of my favorite all time stories. It also hits different when you're experiencing it in an interactive fashion. Plus, you'll appreciate the callouts/easter eggs on the show.

Still Servant
01-26-2023, 04:58 PM

Pass... the first season was the best. I felt it got progressively worse and boring/repetitive.

Really? You thought season 3 was boring? You're the first person I've heard say that.

ICry4Oy
01-30-2023, 09:03 AM
Last night's episode #3 was beautiful and heartbreaking. Sad but predictable comments online about that episode.

ICry4Oy
01-30-2023, 09:09 AM
I'm not a strong believer in the "they should look exactly like the character" thing.

Me either but it's always a nice touch, and an appreciated one.

Pedro doesn't look much like Joel and nobody says anything.

Idk about that

https://i0.wp.com/blog.indiegala.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/cover-6.jpg?fit=1400%2C700&ssl=1

They're not even the same race.

Brian861
01-30-2023, 11:23 AM
Last night's episode #3 was beautiful and heartbreaking. Sad but predictable comments online about that episode.

I read it has already been picked up for a second season.

fernandito
01-31-2023, 09:38 AM
Last night's episode was heartbreaking. Nick Offerman was perfectly cast as Bill.

The piano scene was a litttttle hokey... "It's not a girl" *single tear* "I know" *kiss*

But otherwise the episode was phenomenal. As a game lover though, I really wish...

that they had kept Bill around for the gym part. Woulda been awesome to see the 3 of them kicking ass together.

So far, the show is everything I hoped for!

Brian861
01-31-2023, 12:34 PM
As far as your spoiler, I have yet to watch the show, it was a super intense moment.

Still Servant
02-01-2023, 04:07 PM
One of the greatest episodes of TV I have ever seen. Bravo.

Iwritecode
02-06-2023, 02:14 PM
DirectTV had a free weekend preview of HBO and Cinemax so I was able to record the first 4 episodes. Watched the first 2 last night. So far I actually like the Ellie character more than I thought I would.

The scene where she asked if she could have a gun and they said no and then she mumbled something about just throwing her sandwich cracked me up. :wtf:

fernandito
02-06-2023, 03:04 PM
Last night's episode was... ok. Just ok.

Felt like it's setting the stage for what's sure to be a much bigger episode 5.

webstar1000
02-07-2023, 04:17 AM

IT was good... but yeah it was the weakest. My buddy and and I just bought the remastered game for Sony 5. Each got a 24 of beers... and our weekends mission? TO BEAT THE GAME:)

fernandito
02-07-2023, 10:00 AM

IT was good... but yeah it was the weakest. My buddy and and I just bought the remastered game for Sony 5. Each got a 24 of beers... and our weekends mission? TO BEAT THE GAME:)

Dude you are going to have a blast! I think playing it will give you a deeper appreciation for both the game and the show. You might be able to pull it off in one weekend... it's like a 10+ hour game though, depending what difficulty you set it at.

And gd 24 beers each?? :lol:

Still Servant
02-08-2023, 03:10 PM

That sounds like Heaven.

fernandito
02-08-2023, 05:29 PM
don't forget the new episode this week will be released Friday night as opposed to Sunday.

HBO wisely doesn't wanna compete with the Super Bowl

St. Troy
02-09-2023, 06:59 AM
Just watched episodes 3 and 4.

Episode 3 felt like a giant domestic digression, but of course it was not truly a full digression, as many bits related directly to the breakdown of society, and it did a decent job fitting 20 years of humanity into a little over an hour.

Episode 4 did one thing I absolutely would have done if I wrote/directed TV shows:

Ellie: "I'm not even tired."
(moments later): Ellie: slumped over, mouth open, sleeping.

I'm not wild about this show (the book of puns was pretty much my favorite bit, and that can't be what they wanted), but I'm still watching.

webstar1000
02-12-2023, 11:47 AM
Well…. Played the game. Took 15 - 16 hours to beat it. Was awesome! Ran out of beer to. Haha. The last episode was amazing. This show is perfect. The Bloater scene gave me goosebumps!!!!!

Mattrick
02-12-2023, 02:55 PM
I just finished the second episode. The show after two episodes is perfectly fine. The real star so far is the production design team. There are some changes to the story which I'm not overly fond of, namely the way show handled Robert in the opening episode and changing Joel/Tess' motivations. In the game, it's all about guns, and Joel/Tess kill Robert and others to get the guns. It does a great job of establishing that they are criminals and killers and not good people, which functions much better than Tess in the show saying "We're not good people". The dramatic aspect of the game is that Joel and Tess don't view themselves as good or bad people, just survivors, and I'm not a fan of Tess's moral objectivity in that scene.

I'm actually a little worried that they're cramming the entire game into 9 episodes now, especially since I know episode 3 is largely standalone and it looks like there is another standalone episode based on the Left Behind DLC, which means they're really cramming the game into about 7 episodes.

webstar1000
02-13-2023, 04:07 AM
I just finished the second episode. The show after two episodes is perfectly fine. The real star so far is the production design team. There are some changes to the story which I'm not overly fond of, namely the way show handled Robert in the opening episode and changing Joel/Tess' motivations. In the game, it's all about guns, and Joel/Tess kill Robert and others to get the guns. It does a great job of establishing that they are criminals and killers and not good people, which functions much better than Tess in the show saying "We're not good people". The dramatic aspect of the game is that Joel and Tess don't view themselves as good or bad people, just survivors, and I'm not a fan of Tess's moral objectivity in that scene.

I'm actually a little worried that they're cramming the entire game into 9 episodes now, especially since I know episode 3 is largely standalone and it looks like there is another standalone episode based on the Left Behind DLC, which means they're really cramming the game into about 7 episodes.

THERE IS NO way this season will be all of game 1.... after 5 episodes and playing the game its clear this will be 2 seasons.

Mattrick
02-13-2023, 05:56 PM

THERE IS NO way this season will be all of game 1.... after 5 episodes and playing the game its clear this will be 2 seasons.

Well, spoilers to be safe: The next episode will be meeting up with Tommy. Then Episode 7 is Left Behind which will likely be a blend of Left Behind DLC and going to University of Colorado. Episode 8 will likely be with David and his group. Then all that leaves is the final area of the game with The Fireflies in the hospital. They would have to seriously, seriously expand on the Tommy/Wyoming part or the David part to make this story stretch 2 whole seasons.

ICry4Oy
02-14-2023, 11:05 AM
That last episode. First I was like...DAAAAMN!!! :o :panic: Then I was like.....damn :cry:

webstar1000
02-14-2023, 11:13 AM

Well, spoilers to be safe: The next episode will be meeting up with Tommy. Then Episode 7 is Left Behind which will likely be a blend of Left Behind DLC and going to University of Colorado. Episode 8 will likely be with David and his group. Then all that leaves is the final area of the game with The Fireflies in the hospital. They would have to seriously, seriously expand on the Tommy/Wyoming part or the David part to make this story stretch 2 whole seasons.

Isnt Philly the longest part of the game by a long shot?

Mattrick
02-14-2023, 12:23 PM

Isnt Philly the longest part of the game by a long shot?

Yes. But the Pittsburgh part of the game ends when Henry and Sam both die. Then they're in Wyoming with Tommy.

If they were going to expand upon the story to stretch it out, now would be the time. I've always felt it strange that Joel and Ellie travel nearly 2,000 miles without anything of note happening to them. It's a good stretch of road for them to fill in the gaps.

Still Servant
02-14-2023, 04:41 PM
One of the standout moments from the game for me was the gym scene. I'm thinking we aren't going to get that.

Mattrick
02-14-2023, 06:45 PM
One of the standout moments from the game for me was the gym scene. I'm thinking we aren't going to get that.

I haven't seen the last two episodes yet, but that would've happened in Bill's town. I know the first bloater was in the last episode so I'm guessing they waited until the sewers to show the first bloater. The likely main issue with the show I imagine will be a lot less action with regards to the infected compared to the game, so I imagine we'll be missing a lot of the set pieces which came with the action gameplay.

webstar1000
02-15-2023, 04:44 AM

That was a fun part to the game for sure. BUT the bloater coming out of the ground like that.. with the music????????/ It gave me goosebumps. I just hope Last of Us doesn't go off the rails like Walking Dead.

Still Servant
02-23-2023, 04:00 PM

That was a fun part to the game for sure. BUT the bloater coming out of the ground like that.. with the music????????/ It gave me goosebumps. I just hope Last of Us doesn't go off the rails like Walking Dead.

It won't last nearly as long, so it's not likely to go off the rails. Honestly, I don't see how they get more than 2 or 3 seasons unless they start making stuff up.

Mattrick
02-23-2023, 06:47 PM
It's the making stuff up after Part 2 that bothers me. There is more than enough content and room to expand on the game for two solid seasons. 1 would be with if they were doing a typical HBO 13 episode season.

Maybe their plan is to fill in the gap between Part 1 and 2 with made up content. I don't know.

What I do know is that Melanie Lynskey was horribly miscast. I couldn't take her seriously as some cold-blooded, ruthless revolutionary. The bloater was really well done but the infected coming out of the hole like that was a little too World War Z for by taste, especially with how limited the infected have actually been shown. Seriously, where are all the infected? Where's the action? They're really short changing us. I like thy drama, but the drama is enhanced by the action. Like the entire Pittsburgh chapter of the game was reduced to one little shootout and the sniper ending. Joel and Ellie never really felt like they were in danger in Kansas City.

That's what's frustrating about this series. It's pretty good. But it could be even better.

mae
02-24-2023, 10:08 AM
Aren't there rumors they're working on Part III of the game?

Iwritecode
02-24-2023, 11:23 AM

That's all they are right now is rumors.

I still need to finish part 2. :redface:

fernandito
02-24-2023, 12:46 PM

Honestly, I don't see how they get more than 2 or 3 seasons unless they start making stuff up.

There are rumors that keep picking up steam that there will in fact be a Pt. 3.

Honestly at this point I'd be surprised if there WASN'T. There was already talks about a part3 before the show, but I think the show becoming a box office smash is going to convince Druckmann that a part 3 is in the best interest of all.

What I do know is that Melanie Lynskey was horribly miscast. I couldn't take her seriously as some cold-blooded, ruthless revolutionary.

Yes, she was god awful. The only casting misfire thus far.

Seriously, where are all the infected? Where's the action? They're really short changing us. I like thy drama, but the drama is enhanced by the action. Like the entire Pittsburgh chapter of the game was reduced to one little shootout and the sniper ending. Joel and Ellie never really felt like they were in danger in Kansas City.

That's what's frustrating about this series. It's pretty good. But it could be even better.

This has been my Big gripe thus far, was talking to a few buddies of mine a few days ago.

For all the shit that I've given to The Walking Dead over the years, there's one thing that they get right that TLOU doesn't - those small, moment-to-moment dangers. It doesn't matter if a TWD episode was going to be heavy on zombies or not, they'd find a way to inject a sense of danger in many episodes by doing simple things like having a 1 or 2 zombies tucked away in a gas station that our heroes had to dispose of. That let you, the viewer, know that even in those quiet, intimate moments our heroes are never truly safe and that there could be danger lurking behind around any corner, behind any door.

There's been long - too long - stretches where Joel and Ellie are not in danger. No Clickers, no raiders. This past episode those two side characters in the cabin kept telling them not to go West past the river because it was SOOPER, DOOPER DANGEROUS.... and they didn't encounter a single god damn thing :confused1:

There's still time to rectify, but this is becoming a glaring flaw for me. Too big to ignore.

Mattrick
02-25-2023, 12:39 AM
This has been my Big gripe thus far, was talking to a few buddies of mine a few days ago.

For all the shit that I've given to The Walking Dead over the years, there's one thing that they get right that TLOU doesn't - those small, moment-to-moment dangers. It doesn't matter if a TWD episode was going to be heavy on zombies or not, they'd find a way to inject a sense of danger in many episodes by doing simple things like having a 1 or 2 zombies tucked away in a gas station that our heroes had to dispose of. That let you, the viewer, know that even in those quiet, intimate moments our heroes are never truly safe and that there could be danger lurking behind around any corner, behind any door.

There's been long - too long - stretches where Joel and Ellie are not in danger. No Clickers, no raiders. This past episode those two side characters in the cabin kept telling them not to go West past the river because it was SOOPER, DOOPER DANGEROUS.... and they didn't encounter a single god damn thing :confused1:

There's still time to rectify, but this is becoming a glaring flaw for me. Too big to ignore.

I suppose they could be (speaking of The Walking Dead) pulling a Season Two where the zombie action was sparse, but that second season finale was amazing with over 30 minutes of zombie action. Knowing how the game end, they don't have many chances left for run-ins with The Infected. Basically there's The scene with Ellie/David fighting off infected and the tunnel before the hospital...though I suppose we'll get some in the Ellie flashback. The Pittsburgh/KC section was such a let down. What makes that portion of the game so great is that Joel and Ellie are alone for most of it, trying to sneak through the city full of people looking for them. They're so vulnerable. There could have been so many encounters in the show...not all resulting in violence. Is it too much to ask Joel to throw a fucking bottle/brick or to choke some dude out? There would have been so much tension with an entire episode of Joel and Ellie sneaking around, choking dudes out, getting into hand-to-hand combat when mistakes are made or bad fortune finds them. It would make the story about survival, which it has always been.

Like imagine a full episode of this stuff from The Walking Dead Season 4, except in city except in a house. There would still be room for some quiet moments and dialogue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTRmmzEZToo

As you said, there are long stretches where Joel and Ellie aren't in danger. They've literally been in danger three times (I haven't seen episode 6 yet so maybe more now): encountering the clickers in Episode 2, shootout in KC in episode 4, and sniper scene in Episode 5. How can a show about survival never have the leads in danger?

ICry4Oy
02-25-2023, 09:30 AM
What I do know is that Melanie Lynskey was horribly miscast. I couldn't take her seriously as some cold-blooded, ruthless revolutionary.

I thought she was channeling Sarah Huckabee.

Joe315
02-26-2023, 10:32 AM

I thought she was channeling Sarah Huckabee.

Agree. She didn’t portray someone who is supposed to be ruthless very well.

St. Troy
02-26-2023, 11:07 AM
I got the vibe that maybe they intended a "cute + kills people = a bit psycho" thing. It depends on what they were going for, and I have no idea what they were going for.

Joe315
02-26-2023, 03:58 PM
I got the vibe that maybe they intended a "cute + kills people = a bit psycho" thing. It depends on what they were going for, and I have no idea what they were going for.

I think that was the idea but there was no moment that showed she was a psycho behind the cute and cuddly facade.

fernandito
02-27-2023, 11:41 AM
Damn, they're going to have to pack a lot of stuff in these last two episodes...

fernandito
03-06-2023, 09:26 AM
My favorite episode thus far, hands down. It was almost like a self contained 1-hr movie. I'm glad we finally got to see Joel go full Brutality. Feel like we haven't seen enough of that side of him. "It's okay, I believe him" *THWACK*

The guy played David did a damn good job. He was menacing, creepy af. Creepier than his video game counterpart probably.

Also for the non-gamers, the guy that played James (cleaver'd guy) is the voice actor for video game Joel. I kept thinking that he would actually have made a good irl Joel. Add 30-40 pounds to that dude, dye him brunette and he's SET.

Mattrick
03-06-2023, 09:41 PM
My favorite episode thus far, hands down. It was almost like a self contained 1-hr movie. I'm glad we finally got to see Joel go full Brutality. Feel like we haven't seen enough of that side of him. "It's okay, I believe him" *THWACK*

The guy played David did a damn good job. He was menacing, creepy af. Creepier than his video game counterpart probably.

Also for the non-gamers, the guy that played James (cleaver'd guy) is the voice actor for video game Joel. I kept thinking that he would actually have made a good irl Joel. Add 30-40 pounds to that dude, dye him brunette and he's SET.

OG voice actors have had a rough go of it since Last of Us premiered. Tommy VA was decapitated by the bloater and Tess VA died IRL :'(

webstar1000
03-07-2023, 04:07 AM

Agreed. I also felt that Ellie was bad ass for a kid in this episode.. my fav with her yet. I surprised how fast this is moving.. BUT I suspect the last episode will be near an hour and a half to wrap up the season and the first game.. WITH perhaps a cliff hanger? I love this show.

Mattrick
03-08-2023, 05:40 PM
This was the part of the game they absolutely had to get right, so I'm glad to hear that it was done well. It's easily the best portion of the game. I'm still on episode 6 and likely won't catch up for another week or two.

St. Troy
03-09-2023, 11:48 AM
Will there be another season?

webstar1000
03-09-2023, 11:50 AM

1000000%

St. Troy
03-09-2023, 11:50 AM

1000000%

Announced, or you're just that confident?

webstar1000
03-09-2023, 12:00 PM

1000000%

both lol

fernandito
03-09-2023, 04:36 PM

1000000%

a second season was confirmed by HBO back at the tail-end of January

The Last of Us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/TheLastofUsHBO/status/1619017515581018112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1619017515581018112%7Ctwgr% 5Eab87089b977f1414f9f262972d25b8a64ee24ddc%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fjunkee.com%2Flast-of-us-season-two-netflix-cast-returning-update%2F348209)

fernandito
03-12-2023, 02:47 PM
Getting some pizza and wings for tonight's finale!

:sharepopcorn:

ICry4Oy
03-13-2023, 08:05 AM
Loved the first season! But I did think it was funny in last night's finale that the road Joel was driving on, after 20+ years of neglect, was better than most of the roads here in Dallas.

Mattrick
03-14-2023, 11:44 AM
From what I've heard about the finale, I'm feeling pretty anxious about it. It sounds like they really limited Joel's rampage, which goes along with the rest of the series which has gone out of his way to make Joel a far more redeemable character which, if you ask me, ruins the end of the story. Maybe they still found a way to pull it off, but like the rest of the series (that I've seen so far, anyways) I won't be surprised if they pussyfooted around the harsh violence this ending needs.

fernandito
03-14-2023, 12:04 PM
Whoever told you that is wrong. Joel is even more ruthless in the TV show. He seems so... detached when he's going full Rambo.

When you play the game, there's a sense of just-comeuppance when you finally get to the end as you - the player - battles your way through 20 armed guards.

That 'cushion' is not there in the TV show. It's Pedro Pascal with violent, determined eyes mowing people down without a shred of sympathy.

Mattrick
03-14-2023, 02:11 PM
Whoever told you that is wrong. Joel is even more ruthless in the TV show. He seems so... detached when he's going full Rambo.

When you play the game, there's a sense of just-comeuppance when you finally get to the end as you - the player - battles your way through 20 armed guards.

That 'cushion' is not there in the TV show. It's Pedro Pascal with violent, determined eyes mowing people down without a shred of sympathy.

I only heard that he only killed the one surgeon and not much else, but comments I read people seemed a little disappointed on that front. Glad to hear they might not have gotten gun shy for the ending.

webstar1000
03-15-2023, 03:22 AM
From what I've heard about the finale, I'm feeling pretty anxious about it. It sounds like they really limited Joel's rampage, which goes along with the rest of the series which has gone out of his way to make Joel a far more redeemable character which, if you ask me, ruins the end of the story. Maybe they still found a way to pull it off, but like the rest of the series (that I've seen so far, anyways) I won't be surprised if they pussyfooted around the harsh violence this ending needs.

Yeah watch it. It was amazing.

Randall Flagg
03-15-2023, 11:09 AM
I wasn't even following the series, but caught the last episode as my wife was watching it and I thought it was pretty ballsy.

Mattrick
03-16-2023, 01:17 PM
I've finally finished the season off and a lot of my key complaints about the series remain...namely the severe lack of infected. Seriously. Episodes 6-9 there were a grand total of TWO infected, and both were in flashbacks. Not only does it take away from the fact this is as much a zombie horror story as it is a drama, but it devalues the entire core plot: the cure. Why would anyone who hasn't played the game feel a cure is even crucial at this point? Joel and Ellie are literally wandering around cities joking around without a care in the world. Why is a cure even needed? There are barely any infected left. It really undercuts the drama and stakes from the final episode. In the game the infected are still in every location...they are drawn into Tommy's community after a raider attack, they force Joel and David to work together to survive (and that experience adds a whole lot to their dynamic which is missing from the show), and they could be in every dark space, out in the country...they are a constant, ever present threat. In the show they are basically absent. Is the real Last of Us the few infected we met along the way?

That said, the show mostly stuck the landing. The David/Cannibal chapter and the final chapter are so crucial to the story and I was satisfied with them. I'm not a huge fan of the choice to have Joel's rampage as a montage, but it was well-executed so that's mostly a preference quibble. I just think it being a bit longer, a bit more in the moment, could've really added to the intensity of it. I think what the montage hurts for me is we only get little glimpses of how much of a badass Joel is, while at this point in the game, as the player, we've offed like 100 people at this point. If we'd really seen how badass he was in the Kansas City (Pittsburgh) episodes, I think the montage would've been more effective for me. This is similar to my infected gripe and there was just a severe lack of action/violence up until the last two episodes. I understand a game is a game and has the gameplay and TV/Film cannot replicate that gameplay (and trying would harm the adaptation) but they went so far in the other direction. The whole point of the graphic violence being more present (and the infected as well) is to illustrate how cruel and hopeless and dangerous this world is, and what it turns ordinary people into, is what makes the cure so damn important...and that's mostly missing in the adaptation. They did well in the last two episode, but why hold back on the other 7? Did they feel if they didn't hold back the violence in episodes 8/9 wouldn't be as effective?

The final scene was missing something very crucial, which is in the game when Joel tells Ellie "You have to find something to fight for" and he grabs the broken watch that Sarah bought for him and it adds so much to that final exchange. But they keep the shots in closeups. That one little action adds so much to Joel's final thoughts in the game and provides so much subtext that it not being included seems like a very poor directing/editing decision.

https://preview.redd.it/oe57vu0cbli01.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&v=enabled&bac978a5

http://youtu.be/IOdNSgJEra0?t=520

The did a great job with all the Ellie and David stuff, even if David in the show wasn't as quietly menacing as in the game. The final showdown was executed very well and Ramsey did a great job during the cleaver scene...it must have been very physically demanding for her to do that, but it showed in the performance. We really felt her panic, exasperation, and despite the harrowing situations she had been in with Joel, it came across as the very first time where Ellie was not merely defending herself, but was infected by the sheer brutality of the world. Why did they feel the need to give David a preacher aspect? Lazy and unnecessary writing there. They didn't even DO anything with it so it was pointless...that they're survivors turned to cannibalism should be enough. Pedro did a great job with Joel animalistic side in the final two episodes. He came off as quite scary, but still...I wish we'd seen a bit more of that before this so his rampage at the end didn't come quite as out of nowhere as it does.

As I said since the first episode, the real star of this series is the production design team. The world they created looks excellent. The digital matte paintings for the wide, city shots add so much. The giraffe scene was perfectly recreated from a visual standpoint. The set designs were perfectly put together and really captured the world that nature, year by year, is reclaiming from us. The cinematography was often very beautiful, especially that montage between Tommy's town and the University of Eastern Colorado, which so well painted the romantic quality (not physical romance, obviously) of Joel and Ellie's relationship at it's most peaceful and hopeful before everything goes bad for them. There is a whole lot to appreciate in this series.

I almost forgot to mention episode 7, Left Behind. Was I the only one who felt this episode was extremely boring? I don't usually say "nothing happens" when an episode focuses on character, but the whole backstory between Ellie and Riley felt dragged out and hollow, despite the work the actors put in...I came away feeling, what actually happened? We got a very, very brief look into Ellie's life in Fedra, and then they wandered around a mall for 35ish minutes. The DLC intercuts Ellie's backstory with being in a mall in the present, looking for supplies for healing Joel. What was wrong with doing that in the show? Would it have been so bad to show Ellie's vulnerability with Joel laid out? Her desperation to keep him alive, to see parallels with losing Riley to her fear of losing Joel?

I think as a TV series, I would give this somewhere between an 8/10 or a 9/10, I guess a solid 8.5. The horrible miscasting of Melanie Lynsky takes a whole half star (or more off) because she's in two episodes and, frankly, that entire portion of the game was the worst adapted part, which makes the fact it's the only scenario in the entire game which stretches past a single episode all the more frustrating and damaging to the overall product. I imagine someone who never played the games would be kinder to those two episodes.

As an adaptation of the game, I'm afraid I have to give this a 7/10. They got the basic story right, and they definitely got the look and the performances of the core characters right. But outside of the expansion on Bill, none of the adaptation's "extras" like the situation in Kansas City and Lynsky, to David being a preacher, to the infected all being connected to the cordyceps fungus underground. All of these additions felt either pointless, misguided, or underutilized. I loved the idea of infected being connected...killing a single infected then can create a more dangerous situation, but outside of the ending to the 2nd episode with Tess, I don't believe this was ever used again, and I mean, COME ON! That's baked in tension and danger and it's just left on the table! The areas they expanded on could've been better served helping out the biggest blunder of the adaptation: the capture the look of this world to perfection, but not the FEEL of this world. There are barely any infected. They barely have any visceral combat for survival with humans. This is supposed to be a brutal world and it just isn't. The Walking Dead in first 5 or 6 seasons achieved this is far better. Granted TLoU doesn't have the cast of characters to kill, which is why it was necessary for Joel/Ellie to do the killing, either with The Infected for against people. The things missing from the game (the infected, the action, the violence, the feeling of rarely feeling safe) are what held this show back from a 9 or a 10 for me, and since they're so crucial to the game, they affect my rating as an adaptation more than my rating as it plays out as a series.

I wrote a lot. Damn.

fernandito
03-16-2023, 04:25 PM
https://media.tenor.com/KGKkHIf9JgMAAAAM/too-long-didnt-read.gif

fernandito
03-16-2023, 04:26 PM
Nah kidding. I'll read it later today. Think my brain is fried rn.

Randall Flagg
03-16-2023, 06:23 PM
I wrote a lot. Damn.

Yes. At ~1,400 words I began to fall asleep.

Reads like an opening to a senior thesis.

Mattrick
03-16-2023, 07:14 PM
I wrote a lot. Damn.

Yes. At ~1,400 words I began to fall asleep.

Reads like an opening to a senior thesis.

That's what happens when you watch 4 episodes in like a 30 hour span. And in my defense I am in the middle of writing TWO research papers so I that must've bled over lol

webstar1000
03-17-2023, 03:17 PM
I cannot believe you think the walking dead did anything better than Last of Us. This was a near perfect show for me…

Mattrick
03-17-2023, 07:04 PM
I cannot believe you think the walking dead did anything better than Last of Us. This was a near perfect show for me…

Could you imagine in that first season of The Walking Dead we went 4 episodes with only 2 zombies? It took them I think 7 seasons to have an episode without a single zombie. Walking Dead also got the tension of human to human interactions much better. The S2 episode Nebraska when Rick, Hershel, and Glenn are in that bar and those two guys come in...that distrust, and that tension, the explosion of violence was masterful.

The Ellie/David meeting should have had that kind of tension, but for me it didn't. In the game Ellie's ability to trust David is immediately tested in combat with the infected and they bond; David saves Ellie's life and fights with her. After the fight, Ellie puts down the rifle. She feels safe. Until David reveals his men were the ones who had attacked them previously. The game shows us that David could have easily been a Joel figure to Ellie if they met under different circumstances. None of that is in the show. David functions very well as villain of the week, but the dynamic nature of his character was entirely stripped away because there no infected.

The Walking Dead's Nebraska bar scene leads to a shootout which draws in the Zombies, where they save Randall's life, which drives the plot and the moral dilemma for the rest of the season. And none of that was in the comics, so they had no perfectly executed original to replicate like TLoU. That is a much better use of zombies/infected to drive and enrich the narrative than anything we saw in The Last of Us. TLoU did a lot of things really, really well...using the infected to enhance and drive the storytelling sure wasn't one of them. Don't even get me started on that Dues ex Machina bloater ending in the 5th episode. Again....extremely well executed. The bloater was awesome. The clicker chasing Ellie in the car was killer. But it was weak ass writing all the same. The game didn't have no dues ex machina...infected just showed up because of the gunfire and noise, just like the zombies did in TWD's Nebraska. And I'm being extra hard on the show because these where changes they didn't need to make that lessened the story..it's even more baffling when the Ellie/David meeting dialogue is essentially verbatim from the game. Why take out the infected? We didn't need a big action scene...the single clicker would've been enough.

fernandito
03-19-2023, 12:47 PM
@Matt - too lazy to reply to everything, but essentially, I agree with what you typed up there.

I made the Walking Dead comparison as well a page or 2 back; that show did a much better job of capturing the dangers of day-to-day living.

Regarding David - they made him a preacher because TV audiences have to be spoon fed. With the constraints of TV time you need a way to quickly let the audiences know that this is a man whom the flock will follow blindly, without asking questions (or at least, not many). Nothing encapsulates and gets the point across quicker than it being a charismatic man of faith.

Agreed on not enough infected.