PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Sleep

mattgreenbean
01-06-2020, 07:24 AM
Doctor Sleep IMDB (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5606664/)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cf/Doctor_Sleep_%28Official_Film_Poster%29.png

Years following the events of "The Shining," a now-adult Dan Torrance must protect a young girl with similar powers from a cult known as The True Knot, who prey on children with powers to remain immortal.

Directed by: Mike Flanagan
Screenplay by: Mike Flanagan

Starring: Ewan McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson, Kyliegh Curran, Cliff Curtis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msJTFvhkU4

fernandito
01-06-2020, 10:19 AM
Didn't catch this in theaters... how was it?

webstar1000
01-06-2020, 10:41 AM

Boring and a waste of time for me. Lots of people seemed to like it... I, for one... did not. I could not wait for it to end. I hated the book though... it is the only King book I fought through and is my lowest rated King novel.

Merlin1958
01-06-2020, 11:35 AM

Boring and a waste of time for me. Lots of people seemed to like it... I, for one... did not. I could not wait for it to end. I hated the book though... it is the only King book I fought through and is my lowest rated King novel.

You're rating it below Lisey's Story, Gerald's Game, Faithful, Gwendy's, Tommyknockers, Cell and Sleeping Beauties? Really? He's had a few clunkers for sure, but this one is he worst or the worst for you? I mean if only for the fact that the first few chapters represent an epilogue for Danny, Halloran and Wendy has to count for something. The Shining is arguably his best novel so anything following up on it should rate above some of the books listed herein, no?

webstar1000
01-06-2020, 12:02 PM

You're rating it below Lisey's Story, Gerald's Game, Faithful, Gwendy's, Tommyknockers, Cell and Sleeping Beauties? Really? He's had a few clunkers for sure, but this one is he worst or the worst for you? I mean if only for the fact that the first few chapters represent an epilogue for Danny, Halloran and Wendy has to count for something. The Shining is arguably his best novel so anything following up on it should rate above some of the books listed herein, no?

Yes.. I do:( MY least fav Bill. I LOVED Tommyknockers haha

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-06-2020, 12:57 PM
I did not care too much for DOCTOR SLEEP the novel, although it was certainly readable, but I found myself enjoying the movie version quite a lot.
My brother, who did NOT read the book, disliked the movie quite a lot.
What the above means, I'm not really sure.

amd013
02-20-2020, 11:55 AM
Just watched on 4K disc (just the theatrical version so far). I really expected to be disappointed, but I was pleasantly surprised. At first I didn't like ....

... the idea of revisiting the overlook, but then I liked it. It was kind of fun "rooting" for the Overlook

Looking forward to watching the directors cut (maybe this weekend).

I liked the book, I felt it was one of his best in the last 20 years or so. (probably in the middle of the pack over all for me). I agree with Bill on the list of stinkers above (exept Gwendy, which I kind of liked).

I thought the actors they cast for Halloran and Wendy did a good homage to the original actors. (Jack Torrance not so much)

Mattrick
02-20-2020, 12:04 PM
I haven't read the book, but I thought the film wad solid. I'm a big fa of Mike Flanagan. Hear the Director's Cut is even better.

mattgreenbean
02-27-2020, 01:34 PM
I didn't see the theatrical version, but last night I watched the whole director's cut. I liked it a lot, even with the changes from the book. Mike Flanagan impressed me with what he did with his screenplay and direction. We could have ended up with a crap horror of the week. But, he gave us a film! Any nitpicks I had with the film fell by the wayside. I would welcome him back to the SK cannon any day. From A Buick 8 would be perfect in his hands. Ewan and Rebecca did amazing. Probably my favorite performance of Ewan's since Big Fish. Even though she's the bad guy, I loved watching Rebecca's scenes.

P.s. Near Dark is one of my favorite (vampire) movies, and the True Knot has that feel.