sgc1999
05-23-2012, 03:20 PM
:excited::excited::excited:Stephany meyer

joking!

killbourne
05-23-2012, 04:13 PM
:excited::excited::excited:Stephany meyer

joking!

Well, you could make some money if you had some signed books...I actually passed up the opp to get some because I didnt know who she was.

Patrick
05-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Just got two signed/LIMITED books by the great CORMAC MCCARTHY
Let's see 'em!

Simon: :lol:

Garrell
05-24-2012, 10:10 PM
please...noooooo!!!!!!!

killbourne
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
please...noooooo!!!!!!!

Im curious to ask why?

killbourne
06-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Took a break from collecting uncle steve and have finally and proud to say that I have finished collecting a signed set of THE BORDER TRILOGY by McCarthy. Not cheap, but negotiated some damn fine prices compared to what I have seen on the net.

Garrell
06-09-2012, 07:17 PM
please...noooooo!!!!!!!

Im curious to ask why?

I meant please no to S. Meyer books.

Patrick
06-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Took a break from collecting uncle steve and have finally and proud to say that I have finished collecting a signed set of THE BORDER TRILOGY by McCarthy. Not cheap, but negotiated some damn fine prices compared to what I have seen on the net.
That's fantastic! I'd love to see photos of the books and the sigs sometime.

mikeC
07-19-2012, 06:40 AM
I love this story and was thinking about trying to find it's original publishing in Epoch 1966. I'm not even sure what Epoch is but I can;t really find anything through google or abes, does anyone know anything about this title and it's scarcity?
Thanks for reading.

Room 217 Caretaker
07-21-2012, 04:19 AM
I love this story and was thinking about trying to find it's original publishing in Epoch 1966. I'm not even sure what Epoch is but I can;t really find anything through google or abes, does anyone know anything about this title and it's scarcity?
Thanks for reading.

EPOCH is a magazine published by Cornell University since 1947.

http://www.arts.cornell.edu/english/publications/epoch/#subscriptions

Hope this helps.

Mulleins

mikeC
07-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks for reading.

EPOCH is a magazine published by Cornell University since 1947.

http://www.arts.cornell.edu/english/publications/epoch/#subscriptions

Hope this helps.

Mulleins

I did not know this was Cornell thanks.

chrise
09-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Anyone else here a big China Mieville fan/collector?

-Chris

Stockerlone
09-03-2012, 02:08 AM

-Chris

Only have a few, my pride and joy is my limited to 250 from the illustrator Reinhard Kleist signed and remarqued and of cause signed from China Miéville.
SPIEGEL (The Tain)

chrise
09-04-2012, 07:17 PM

-Chris

Only have a few, my pride and joy is my limited to 250 from the illustrator Reinhard Kleist signed and remarqued and of cause signed from China Miéville.
SPIEGEL (The Tain)

Just checked out the pics on your collection. Beautiful!

deanhoadley
09-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Does anyone collect Lee Child at all?

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Some Mike Resnick proofs I've found in the last few months:

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/resnickproofs_zpsce9bd0ae.jpg?t=1348182049

herbertwest
10-28-2012, 09:33 AM
I found this article about this very old auction... but those books looks amazing : FRANKENSTEIN true 1st edition
>>> http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=658&lotNo=25585&type=prte-pr120706a

http://images.ha.com/lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F3%2F253853%5D%2Csizedata%5B4 50x2000%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

mae
10-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Holy shit!

Patrick
10-28-2012, 08:19 PM
How cool would it be to own that?!

The auction listing is an interesting read.

thegunslinger41
01-15-2013, 09:12 AM
paying $150 for Dean Koontz Dark Rivers of the Heart S/L.

G

Scoogs
01-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Over the last 6 months or so I've picked up copies of the three Dune series signed limiteds done by Frank Herbert. Interestingly, he signed two of them in locations other than the limitation page.
These three are pretty standard 1980's big publisher S/Ls. Cloth bound with a matching slipcase and no dust jacket.

Knowing that I can neither afford, nor justify the cost of signed trade copies of the first three Dune novels, I'm glad the last three were given S/Ls that I could afford to add to my collection.

God Emperor of Dune
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/God_Emperor.jpg

Heretics of Dune
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Heretics.jpg

Chapterhouse: Dune
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Chapterhouse.jpg

carlosdetweiller
01-22-2013, 06:43 AM
In 2006 I watched the movie The Prestige. I absolutely loved it and immediately watched it again. The next day I watched it again. I think I have seen it twice more since then. There is something about that story that really gets into me. Anyway (because I am a book collector and what else would you expect me to do?) I started looking for a first edition. I found that they were really expensive and online dealers were quoting figures like "only 200 printed in the first edition" and "between 200 and 500 printed." I finally found a F/F copy that was signed for a reasonable price and told myself that one day I needed to read the book.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/prestige1.jpg

I only recently got around to reading the book. I loved it even more than the movie. I think in this instance having already seen the movie INCREASED my enjoyment of the book, if that is possible. There are a few plot twists that are not in the movie and caught me completely by surprise. I think it is just a fantastic book. Anyway (because I am a book collector and what else would you expect me to do?) I found and bought an ARC/proof. On the back of the proof they mention a "massive PR and promotional campaign." I thought that was weird as supposedly they only printed 200 to 500 copies of the first edition.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/prestige2.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/prestige3.jpg

I asked the seller who seemed knowledgeable about the book and he thought the 200 to 500 copy numbers were made up by some bookseller to enhance the saleability of his book and that the numbers just got perpetuated by other sellers. He suggested that I contact the author, Christopher Priest, and see if he knew. I found Mr. Priest's website and asked him. I was pleasantly surprised to get this reply just a few hours later:

Dear Mr Jackson

I thought no one would ever ask.

I don't know where those estimated figures for the print-run of the Touchstone edition of The Prestige came from. Not from me, and certainly not from the publisher. I have always assumed it was a used book dealers' fiction to keep the price up.

When it was first published The Prestige was released as a conventional trade hardback novel, and would therefore have been given a conventionally sized UK first printing. According to sales figures I would estimate the minimum print was 2,000 copies, and probably as high as 3,000. It was never to my knowledge reprinted in hardcover by Touchstone.

However, to put these figures in context. Firstly, although the Touchstone edition is a handsome production it is not well manufactured: the paper is too thin and the binding is weak. Copies once read or carelessly handled are often damaged. As is common in the UK, most sales of hardback fiction are to lending libraries, and you can safely assume that all those copies, if they reached the secondhand market now, would also be damaged or seriously over-used. Finally, my novels in hardback are bought by a core audience of readers, who appear to collect and keep their own copies. Good secondhand copies almost never enter the used trade. I am an habitual book-buyer myself, spending much time in s/h bookstores, and in the last 40 years I have only ever seen ONE copy of one of my first editions on sale in an ordinary UK bookstore (and that was at a fancy price). It might be different in the USA, of course.

What all this means is that clean or mint or unread copies of the Touchstone edition of The Prestige are genuinely rare. The scarcity is for those reasons, not because only a small number were printed. Used-book dealers are entitled to get what they can for scarce editions, so I don't complain, but I believe what I've told you here is the reality.

All best wishes

Christopher Priest

I thought this was pretty cool and the point to emphasize is to not accept print run numbers listed in book listings as facts. I am as guilty as anyone in repeating print run numbers that I have heard or read and accepting them as true. Few people really know for sure and online booksellers are an unreliable source. They get accepted by collectors as facts and we perpetuate the inaccuracies.

jhanic
01-22-2013, 06:56 AM
Very interesting!

John

Tito_Villa
01-22-2013, 07:00 AM
That's great Bob and now i'm off to hunt for a copy of my own, i really, really loved the film too, kept me hooked all the way through!

carlosdetweiller
01-22-2013, 07:49 AM
That's great Bob and now i'm off to hunt for a copy of my own, i really, really loved the film too, kept me hooked all the way through!

I think you will really, really love the book too.

TwistedNadine
01-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Good job on pulling the strings. Very interesting info. Thanks

WeDealInLead
01-22-2013, 08:31 AM
That's a really cool story. Have you thought about having the arc signed or inscribed?

carlosdetweiller
01-22-2013, 09:02 AM
That's a really cool story. Have you thought about having the arc signed or inscribed?

It was signed when I bought it. I think that the author is pretty accessible for those who live in the UK.

Randall Flagg
01-22-2013, 01:48 PM
What a fantastic story, and a great response from the author. I too loved the movie. I saw it in an art-house theater and once again on TV. I might just hunt up the Blu-Ray DVD and watch it on my 70".

Tito_Villa
01-22-2013, 01:53 PM
I watched it on a blu-ray and it was spectacular!

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-22-2013, 04:21 PM
I also loved that movie. Priest seems like a really nice guy too. If you get tired of that 70" screen you can come over and watch the movie on my 85 incher Jerome.

That's an 85 inch TV, by the way.

Randall Flagg
01-22-2013, 05:23 PM
I also loved that movie. Priest seems like a really nice guy too. If you get tired of that 70" screen you can come over and watch the movie on my 85 incher Jerome.

That's an 85 inch TV, by the way.
Resolution?
I suppose I could watch it on my 70" AND the 55" mounted directly above...that equals 125"....mine are bigger than yours!:emot-aslol:

Tito_Villa
01-23-2013, 01:43 AM
We only have a 32" screen and it looked great on that!

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-23-2013, 02:13 AM
Weird. I have a 36" and an 85" in the same room! I have to get the 36" out of there though, I never watch it. The resolution is pretty good. It's a Mitsubishi and I mainly bought it so I could watch 3D movies.

EDIT - Yes, I mean I bought the 85" so I could watch 3D movies on it. So far have watched HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, DIAL M FOR MURDER and MONSTERS VS ALIENS in 3D. Looked pretty good!

Randall Flagg
01-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Weird. I have a 36" and an 85" in the same room! I have to get the 36" out of there though, I never watch it. The resolution is pretty good. It's a Mitsubishi and I mainly bought it so I could watch 3D movies.
What? Your 85" isn't 3d? My 70" is 3D, Has Netfilx, 480 hertz blah blah blah

Ricky
01-23-2013, 01:43 PM
In 2006 I watched the movie The Prestige. I absolutely loved it and immediately watched it again. The next day I watched it again. I think I have seen it twice more since then. There is something about that story that really gets into me. Anyway (because I am a book collector and what else would you expect me to do?) I started looking for a first edition. I found that they were really expensive and online dealers were quoting figures like "only 200 printed in the first edition" and "between 200 and 500 printed." I finally found a F/F copy that was signed for a reasonable price and told myself that one day I needed to read the book.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/prestige1.jpg

I only recently got around to reading the book. I loved it even more than the movie. I think in this instance having already seen the movie INCREASED my enjoyment of the book, if that is possible. There are a few plot twists that are not in the movie and caught me completely by surprise. I think it is just a fantastic book. Anyway (because I am a book collector and what else would you expect me to do?) I found and bought an ARC/proof. On the back of the proof they mention a "massive PR and promotional campaign." I thought that was weird as supposedly they only printed 200 to 500 copies of the first edition.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/prestige2.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/prestige3.jpg

I asked the seller who seemed knowledgeable about the book and he thought the 200 to 500 copy numbers were made up by some bookseller to enhance the saleability of his book and that the numbers just got perpetuated by other sellers. He suggested that I contact the author, Christopher Priest, and see if he knew. I found Mr. Priest's website and asked him. I was pleasantly surprised to get this reply just a few hours later:

Dear Mr Jackson

I thought no one would ever ask.

I don't know where those estimated figures for the print-run of the Touchstone edition of The Prestige came from. Not from me, and certainly not from the publisher. I have always assumed it was a used book dealers' fiction to keep the price up.

When it was first published The Prestige was released as a conventional trade hardback novel, and would therefore have been given a conventionally sized UK first printing. According to sales figures I would estimate the minimum print was 2,000 copies, and probably as high as 3,000. It was never to my knowledge reprinted in hardcover by Touchstone.

However, to put these figures in context. Firstly, although the Touchstone edition is a handsome production it is not well manufactured: the paper is too thin and the binding is weak. Copies once read or carelessly handled are often damaged. As is common in the UK, most sales of hardback fiction are to lending libraries, and you can safely assume that all those copies, if they reached the secondhand market now, would also be damaged or seriously over-used. Finally, my novels in hardback are bought by a core audience of readers, who appear to collect and keep their own copies. Good secondhand copies almost never enter the used trade. I am an habitual book-buyer myself, spending much time in s/h bookstores, and in the last 40 years I have only ever seen ONE copy of one of my first editions on sale in an ordinary UK bookstore (and that was at a fancy price). It might be different in the USA, of course.

What all this means is that clean or mint or unread copies of the Touchstone edition of The Prestige are genuinely rare. The scarcity is for those reasons, not because only a small number were printed. Used-book dealers are entitled to get what they can for scarce editions, so I don't complain, but I believe what I've told you here is the reality.

All best wishes

Christopher Priest

I thought this was pretty cool and the point to emphasize is to not accept print run numbers listed in book listings as facts. I am as guilty as anyone in repeating print run numbers that I have heard or read and accepting them as true. Few people really know for sure and online booksellers are an unreliable source. They get accepted by collectors as facts and we perpetuate the inaccuracies.

Very nice, Bob! I've been a Priest collector for awhile now. We've exchanged e-mails in the past and I've interviewed him for a research paper I was writing.

I've been unable to find a Fine copy of The Prestige at a decent price (and unsigned. Seems like they're all signed out there). I, too, saw the film before I read the book and you're right; the book does enhance the experience of the film. Both are very compatible. The book is one of my favorites, as well as the movie.

If you want to continue with Priest, try The Affirmation. An amazing read and one of my favorite books.

carlosdetweiller
01-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks, Ricky, for recommending The Affirmation. I was wondering which one to try next.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Will they make a movie from The Affirmation, do you think?

Stebbins
02-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Just curious, does anyone else on this site read/collect John D. MacDonald books?

becca69
02-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Just wondering if anyone collects Steven Erikson and would know what the TOR ARCs for Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice might be worth?

Scoogs
03-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Added a few books from other authors this week.

For some reason I had never picked this one up for my Anne Rice collection.
It's not quite a nice as the seller described it, but it was cheap and a lot better than most of the copies I've seen.
Now I just need a first of Interview. (My 50 cent garage sale find barely qualifies as a reading copy.)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8225/8543191257_30985d7b56.jpg

Three of the UK slipcased ASOIAF books also arrived. Hopefully A Clash of Kings will be here in another week.

A Storm of Swords
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8386/8543193797_7d2ee922d4.jpg

A Feast for Crows
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8526/8543193937_a730a04297.jpg

A Dance with Dragons
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8086/8544291424_9520949998.jpg

carlosdetweiller
03-10-2013, 04:15 AM
Nice looking copy of THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. One of my favorite books. Is your copy of the variety with purple top stain on the pages....or without top stain?

Scoogs
03-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks Bob. Mine is without the top stain.
I've been casually looking for that version as well, but haven't come across one yet.
Most of the listings I've seen make no mention of it either way, which is a bit frustrating.

Was the top stain the first state and this is the second state?

carlosdetweiller
03-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Was the top stain the first state and this is the second state?

I think it is the other way around. I remember talking to Barry Levin about this several years ago. According to Barry, Anne Rice was unhappy that THE VAMPIRE LESTAT didn't have top stain originally. She said it didn't match her first book INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE which did have top stain. So, again according to Barry, they added top stain to several copies. If this it what really happened then the books without top stain would have to be considered the first state. I have never heard any other discussion about it. Have you? Or anyone else?

Scoogs
03-10-2013, 11:05 AM
I've never come across anything that specifically said either way. Even the site that I usually refer to for Anne Rice edition information isn't much help in this case.

This book was published by Alfred A. Knopf in 1985 in two versions: a limited release version with purple end-paper borders (much like the first edition of Inteview); and a white end-paper release.

carlosdetweiller
03-10-2013, 12:18 PM
I've never come across anything that specifically said either way. Even the site that I usually refer to for Anne Rice edition information isn't much help in this case.

This book was published by Alfred A. Knopf in 1985 in two versions: a limited release version with purple end-paper borders (much like the first edition of Inteview); and a white end-paper release.

What is this site you refer to for Rice information?

Here is a photo of the two states of THE VAMPIRE LESTAT:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/lestattopstain_zps102e52b4.jpg

Scoogs
03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Very nice, I like the look of top stains/edge stains. I wish more publishers would use them on S/L editions.

The Anne Rice Novel Photo Gallery (http://www.dbutts.com/annerice/)
The site backgrounds will give you a headache, but the content covers enough of the basics to be helpful.

Joe315
03-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Any one else here read the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch?

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/rodman109110/8BA1597B-6D51-4BAE-A8EB-67D33A5FF4FD-22044-00001FC17E218AE6_zpsb3d362df.jpg

jon10g
03-13-2013, 01:19 PM
I've read the first two and enjoyed them both. Goldsboro Books are offering a signed version of the next one.

Joe315
03-13-2013, 02:08 PM
I've already got that one ordered.:biggrin: Comes out in June though, so it'll be a bit if a wait

sgc1999
03-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Does anyone collect Lee Child at all?

I have signed 1st/1st editions of tripwire and killing floor.

becca69
03-14-2013, 11:28 AM

What is this site you refer to for Rice information?

Here is a photo of the two states of THE VAMPIRE LESTAT:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/lestattopstain_zps102e52b4.jpg

This is cool Bob. I've never heard of the purple top stain on Lestat and have never seen one in the "wild". :D

becca69
03-14-2013, 11:34 AM

And thanks for this info. Now I'm dying to have a copy of the American Limited Leather edition of The Mummy with the sarcophagus head!!!!

Scoogs
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM

And thanks for this info. Now I'm dying to have a copy of the American Limited Leather edition of The Mummy with the sarcophagus head!!!!

Good luck!
I've been looking off and on for 8-10 years and have never even seen one for sale!
(That one is kind of my Anne Rice holy grail book.)

carlosdetweiller
03-14-2013, 03:45 PM
I've never seen one either. I don't know of anyone who has one and have never seen one for sale. Are we sure they even exist?

Scoogs
03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
I've never seen one either. I don't know of anyone who has one and have never seen one for sale. Are we sure they even exist?

The photos on that site are the only evidence I've seen of its existence. I suppose that one could be a prototype, though the info provided doesn't make that claim.
I'm waiting to hear back from the site owner with more information about it, so I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

He manages to find quite a few editions that I've never heard of or seen before. He must be the carlosdetweiller of Anne Rice collectors.

carlosdetweiller
03-14-2013, 05:20 PM
He must be the carlosdetweiller of Anne Rice collectors.

He's good.....but he ain't THAT good.

becca69
03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
He manages to find quite a few editions that I've never heard of or seen before. He must be the carlosdetweiller of Anne Rice collectors.

LOL! The photo on the site is terrible and I would believe it's a possible prototype. It doesn't even list the publisher unless you guys know it.

Scoogs
03-14-2013, 07:15 PM
He does mention that it was printed by Ballentine in 1989, which is interesting since they scrapped their retail release of the hardcover.

My initial suspicion is that it's similar to the S/Ls from Trice. Those are just the standard first edition book block put into a new binding with a sig page tipped in.

I wonder if this was a small run special edition done in house by the publisher and only given to those involved with the book. That's pure speculation, but it would explain why so little is known about it.

The photos look like he just scanned the book, which might explain the motion blur on the 3D mummy head. Honestly, I'm so distracted by the horrible backgrounds that I almost don't notice the photo quality!

Scoogs
03-14-2013, 07:15 PM

Haha, that's the quote of the week!

Scoogs
03-23-2013, 07:55 AM
I posted this in the GRRM thread too.

My new addition just arrived from SGC:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8097/8582101419_8e543eafb4.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8226/8582102073_7bf1c013a8.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8509/8582101853_83c8d63f62.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8366/8583202214_ef678652a2.jpg

WeDealInLead
03-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Just a heads up for Charles Grant fans. The third book in the Oxrun series is up for pre-order from Centipede Press. I have the first two and they look fantastic.

Lurker
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
I don't think "The Nestling" is Oxrun - it's set in Wyoming. The third one should be "Last Call of Mourning". I wish he would get around to them - I would love to have the whole set from Centipede.

WeDealInLead
03-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Good eye. I'll still buy it.

Scoogs
03-31-2013, 07:13 PM
I like Dune and I like some of the Barnes and Noble Leather Bound Classics series, so this was a no brainer when I spotted it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8406/8608854554_ee0dd95843_b.jpg

WeDealInLead
04-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Dang son, that looks sweet! Any illustrations and bonus material? Also, how's the paper quality?

Booknutt
04-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Any Pratchett fans on here? I picked this up at a bookstore for like $2. Noticed it looked like it's signed. But I don't have any signed Pratchett here to compare it to. I've looked online and it doesn't look like his signature appears now, but could be his older sig? Anyone have any items from this era to compare it to . This is the original Berkley 1st ed. trade paper of Good Omens. 1992. Any help would be :excited:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a3da20b3127ccef297e4262cca00000030O12QYuGzRy4Yg9 vPgg/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00100890468120130401185915042.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D1/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Scoogs
04-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Dang son, that looks sweet! Any illustrations and bonus material? Also, how's the paper quality?

I think the two illustrated endpapers are both new. The back cover and spine artwork are also nice. I'll post a couple more photos tomorrow night if I can.
I don't see any other new content. Is has the four appendix sections, terminology, cartographic notes and maps.

I expected really thin paper, but this isn't bad. It's about the same weight as a regular trade hardcover.

For $20 or less, it's pretty nice. Now if they would just make all 6 books like this...

Empath of the White
04-01-2013, 07:25 PM
I have taken it upon myself to collect the late 90's-early 00's Tale of the Eternal Champion omnibuses. They collect the novels of Michael Moorcock's sword and sorcery and science-fantasy, including the novels of Elric, Hawkmoon, Corum, Erekose and others. As of now, I have Volume I: The Eternal Champion, Volume 2: Von Bek, Volume 3: Hawkmoon and Volume 15: Count Brass. Afterward I plan to move on to The Second Ether sequence: Blood: A Southern Fantasy, Fabulous Harbours, and War Amongst The Angels. Count Brass is a trilogy of novels serving as the initial conclusion to the Eternal Champion saga; it is followed by The Second Ether sequence and the Dream Quest sequence is the final concluding trilogy: The Dreamthief's Daughter, The Skrayling Tree, and The White Wolf's Son.

So I'm really getting into Moorcock's work and hope to have all of the above in good-like new to new condition on my shelf.

WeDealInLead
04-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks Scoogs. I like those leathebound books from B&N. I'll have to get that Dune and Bradbury.

Here is a complete set of four proofs by Gene Wolfe:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370291875604?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That seller has a lot of classic S.F. I wish I were made of money so I could buy them all.

Scoogs
04-02-2013, 06:45 PM
They are nice. I also have the Bradbury and the Foundation Trilogy. Whelan did the cover illustration for Foundation.

I forgot the good camera at work, so here are crappy cell phone photos of the endpapers, back cover and spine art for Dune.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8536/8614516905_f1a872e3a6_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8115/8615624302_aa4a5b0965_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8243/8615624784_de6c7e38d1_z.jpg

carlosdetweiller
04-14-2013, 05:19 AM
Always on the lookout for editions of DRACULA that are interesting and I thought this one was (unique anyway). Penguin Books in 2007 released several classic unabridged titles with blank "draw your own" covers. The front cover was completely blank except for the little penguin logo in the bottom right corner. This one was drawn by Duncan Scott (comic artist for Beano magazine in the UK).

Hope to have a pretty cool Michael Crichton item to share soon.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/draculaillustrationcover_zpsee9409e5.jpg

Randall Flagg
04-14-2013, 05:37 AM
That is funny. I like it.

cit74
04-14-2013, 06:02 AM
I agree - that's very unique and cool

carlosdetweiller
04-15-2013, 02:10 PM
I've been collecting Michael Crichton for awhile and have a pretty decent collection going. Still missing some of the early proofs, like ANDROMEDA STRAIN, GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY and EATERS OF THE DEAD. But I got this in today. A proof of DEALING written by Michael and his brother Douglas Crichton under the pseudonym of "Michael Douglas." Really fragile and just barely holding together. Still, I can't imagine there are too many of these out there.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/dealingproof_zps77b36847.jpg

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Very interesting!

Randall Flagg
04-15-2013, 05:45 PM
And the story itself?

carlosdetweiller
04-15-2013, 05:58 PM
And the story itself?

I've not read it. The plot summary (from Wikipedia): "In order to hook up with his new California girlfriend, a Harvard graduate involves her in an ill-fated plan to smuggle a suitcase full of marijuana bricks from Berkeley to Boston."

Scoogs
04-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Nice Dracula addition Bob.

carlosdetweiller
04-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Here is an interesting variation on Whitley Strieber's THE WOLFEN. I liked Strieber's early work quite a bit but sort of lost interest in his books when he started believing he was abducted by aliens and writing about it.

THE WOLFEN was published in 1978. The proof and Morrow edition with the standard dj are left and center in the first picture. In 1981 a promotional dust jacket was put on first edition copies and sold to promote the movie. It is on the right. I've talked to a few dealers and only two have ever seen one. Not a high dollar book but stuff like this really gets my collecting juices flowing.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/wolfen1_zpseeefb2d0.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/wolfen2_zps9df287aa.jpg

goathunter
04-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Here is an interesting variation on Whitley Strieber's THE WOLFEN. I liked Strieber's early work quite a bit but sort of lost interest in his books when he started believing he was abducted by aliens and writing about it.

I, too, really enjoyed Strieber's early work, and I, too, lost all interest when the alien stuff came out. I've long wanted to go back to The Wolfen to see if it's as good as I remember it being.

Hunter

jhanic
04-26-2013, 06:36 AM

THE WOLFEN was published in 1978. The proof and Morrow edition with the standard dj are left and center in the first picture. In 1981 a promotional dust jacket was put on first edition copies and sold to promote the movie. It is on the right. I've talked to a few dealers and only two have ever seen one. Not a high dollar book but stuff like this really gets my collecting juices flowing.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/wolfen1_zpseeefb2d0.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/wolfen2_zps9df287aa.jpg

Those are neat. I also lost interest in his works at that time.

John

becca69
05-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Those copies of Wolfen are cool!

onlylivingboyinny
05-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Anyone here besides me collect Ian Fleming's works?!

Scoogs
05-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Got this one today. Still need World War Z.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8399/8745772219_c38777a6fb_z.jpg

Booknutt
05-17-2013, 04:51 AM
I have an ARC of World War Z. That what you're looking for? PM and we can talk.

Scoogs
05-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Does anyone collect the Folio Society books?
There are at least 5 or 6 books that I want from them, so I'm debating if it's worth joining as a member or just purchasing them as a non-member.

hyraxia
05-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Terry Pratchett, Philip K. Dick, Haruki Murakami, Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Franz Kafka, William Hope Hodgson, Kim Stanley Robinson, Albert Camus, William Golding, John Wyndham, Iain M. Banks, Peter F. Hamilton, Arthur Machen, Arthur C. Clarke, Anne McCaffrey, Joe Abercrombie, GRRRRRRR Martin, JRR Tolkien...

Basically, anything speculative...

Let me know if you have anything you're looking to sell...

hyraxia
05-25-2013, 11:39 AM
There are at least 5 or 6 books that I want from them, so I'm debating if it's worth joining as a member or just purchasing them as a non-member.

Scoogs...let me know the titles, I buy a lot of FS books - I usually have a couple of hundred items in stock...

hyraxia
05-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Scoogs...let me know the titles, I buy a lot of FS books - I usually have a couple of hundred items in stock...

Of course, when I say buy I mean I buy and sell. I wasn't just asking for the titles you're after, so that I could buy them and gloat... :D

Lurker
05-25-2013, 03:43 PM

I don't collect them, but I just purchased Empires of the Ancient Near East from a seller on Amazon, in excellent shape, for 50.00 instead of the 235.00 at the Folio site.

carlosdetweiller
05-26-2013, 05:50 AM
Wish the condition were better. Not recommending anyone buy it, necessarily, just pointing it out. These are really rare.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE-Interview-with-the-Vampire-PROOF-FLATSIGNED-by-Anne-Rice-/130915726153?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item1e7b2f7349

Randall Flagg
05-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Rare for sure.

jhanic
05-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Isn't Rice the one who doesn't sign proofs?

John

carlosdetweiller
05-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Isn't Rice the one who doesn't sign proofs?

I think she signs pretty much anything. I have never been to one of her signings and can't say personally but I've seen a lot of stuff, including proofs, for sale.

jhanic
05-26-2013, 09:22 AM
I must have been thinking of someone else.

John

Randall Flagg
05-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Amy Tan?

Tito_Villa
05-26-2013, 12:50 PM
I really need to read that book, thought the film was great!

carlosdetweiller
05-26-2013, 03:27 PM
I really need to read that book, thought the film was great!

If you are talking about INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE then, yes, you really do need to read it. But, if you do, I would highly recommend following it up with THE VAMPIRE LESTAT which I thought was even better. That book still amazes and thrills me when I read it and I have read it 3 or 4 times. The next book QUEEN OF THE DAMNED is almost as good. Then, IMO, everything she has written after that is pretty forgettable.

Scoogs
05-26-2013, 06:02 PM
I must have been thinking of someone else.

John

I think I remember Terry mentioning that at one time, but Bob is right.
I've seen a lot of proofs for sale that were signed by her.

carlosdetweiller
05-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Always on the lookout for editions of DRACULA that are interesting and I thought this one was (unique anyway). Penguin Books in 2007 released several classic unabridged titles with blank "draw your own" covers. The front cover was completely blank except for the little penguin logo in the bottom right corner. This one was drawn by Duncan Scott (comic artist for Beano magazine in the UK).

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/draculaillustrationcover_zpsee9409e5.jpg

I picked up another of these with the cover drawn by Duncan Scott. Just can't resist if the price is right. This is the third one I have seen. I got outbid on the second one.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/draculaduncanscott_zpsfafaa9da.jpg

jhanic
05-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Those ARE different!

John

Patrick
05-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Those are hilarious. Very creative and unique.

carlosdetweiller
06-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Anyone looking for a first edition of THE MALTESE FALCON?

http://www.lwcurrey.com/pages/books/144963/dashiell-hammett/the-maltese-falcon

Yikes!!

Dan
06-28-2013, 04:24 PM
That's great! I love seeing ultra high priced books. Knowing that I will never own them doesn't matter, they are fun to look at.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Darn, if it was only $5 cheaper I might consider it.

Patrick
06-29-2013, 09:22 AM
It's price clipped. Must be a Book Club Edition.

:lol:

mae
06-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Not technically an author I collect, but didn't know where else to stick this. Very exciting news for me, as I just found out that Robin Buss's amazing translation of The Count of Monte Cristo is finally being released in hardcover! I don't know what Penguin was thinking releasing it originally in paperback only. The edition was actually released in the UK late last year, but this August it comes out in the US as well:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ro1lyYdbL.jpg

Preordered that sucker right away! If you haven't read this translation, you haven't read the novel: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0141392460/

idlewarnings
07-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Don Robertson is the only other author I collect with the same fervor as Stephen King. I thought I had a fairly complete collection until recently.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/DSC_0875.jpg

I don't know why with all the discussion about SK proofs around here it never occurred to me to search for Don Robertson proofs. I didn't even think about it until a proof for Miss Margaret Ridpath showed up on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I got all three of these proofs within the last week. The left and middle one date to the 70s.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/DSC_0880.jpg

The one in the middle came with an interesting book plate inside signed by Robertson.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/DSC_0878.jpg

These feel like the new jewels of my collection. It's so fun to stumble upon things you never new existed.

Merlin1958
07-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Very Nice!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jhanic
07-27-2013, 03:30 PM
I like them!

John

Merlin1958
07-27-2013, 03:31 PM
I like them!

John

Post Whore!!! LOL LOL J/K John!!! LOL

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Who is Don Robertson? I am sorry to say he is an unknown author to me. Mystery writer? Science Fiction? Romance?

Dan
07-27-2013, 03:40 PM
I too, have not heard of him.

Merlin1958
07-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Who is Don Robertson? I am sorry to say he is an unknown author to me. Mystery writer? Science Fiction? Romance?

Here ya go....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Robertson_%28songwriter%29

idlewarnings
07-27-2013, 03:52 PM

Here ya go....

Wrong link, Merlin. This is the correct Wikipedia entry (which I wrote).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Robertson_(author)

The link to this forum with Robertson is that King's Philtrum Press published Don Robertson's novel, The Ideal Genuine Man. King has cited Robertson as an influence on his writing multiple times. That's how I first discovered him years ago when I was still in high school.

Dan
07-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Here ya go....

Songwriter? No mention of books?

dnemec
07-27-2013, 04:02 PM
I have an Ira Levin proof of Stepford Wives from the 70s and I was just so happy to find one that old. What would we do without ebay?

Merlin1958
07-27-2013, 04:03 PM

Here ya go....

Wrong link, Merlin. This is the correct Wikipedia entry (which I wrote).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Robertson_(author)

The link to this forum with Robertson is that King's Philtrum Press published Don Robertson's novel, The Ideal Genuine Man. King has cited Robertson as an influence on his writing multiple times. That's how I first discovered him years ago when I was still in high school.

Here ya go....

Songwriter? No mention of books?

My bad!! So sorry!!!

carlosdetweiller
07-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Congratulations, idlewarnings, on all of the new proofs. Sounds like you have lots of searching to do to complete your Don Robertson proof collection. And so it begins.

I've only known him through THE IDEAL GENUINE MAN connection with King. I have not read that book nor anything else by Robertson. I really should, I know.

The signed book plate (or card) is interesting. I presume it is a drawing of Don Quixote by Salvadar Dali. I have an identical card signed by King that was laid into a UK THE TALISMAN proof that I bought years ago. I thought it was odd and now even more so seeing that you have one signed by Robertson. I think I may have seen one somewhere else years ago but now I don't remember where.

jhanic
07-27-2013, 04:14 PM
What would we do without ebay?

Save a LOT of money!

John

idlewarnings
07-27-2013, 04:16 PM

Robertson's early books were about the Civll War. He also wrote a trilogy about a boy named Morris Bird III. The first book (The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread) deals with the explosion of the Cleveland Gas refinery, which leveled an entire neighborhood. Paradise Falls is a huge book covering the long history of a fictional Ohio town. As he got older, his books got more concerned with aging, memory, nostalgia and death. He has a unique writing style, very rhythmic and repetitive.

In his intro to The Ideal, Genuine Man, King says Robertson, John D. MacDonald and Richard Matheson were the three writers who influenced him as a young novelist.

dnemec
07-27-2013, 04:17 PM
What would we do without ebay?

Save a LOT of money!

John

Good point, John!

idlewarnings
07-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Congratulations, idlewarnings, on all of the new proofs. Sounds like you have lots of searching to do to complete your Don Robertson proof collection. And so it begins.

I've only known him through THE IDEAL GENUINE MAN connection with King. I have not read that book nor anything else by Robertson. I really should, I know.

The signed book plate (or card) is interesting. I presume it is a drawing of Don Quixote by Salvadar Dali. I have an identical card signed by King that was laid into a UK THE TALISMAN proof that I bought years ago. I thought it was odd and now even more so seeing that you have one signed by Robertson. I think I may have seen one somewhere else years ago but now I don't remember where.

Thanks, Bob. That's curious that you have a similar book plate signed by King. I wonder if they could be related some how. I know King and Robertson did at least one book signing together when TIGM came out.

I'm going to ask the seller if he knows anything about the provenance of the proof. He might know where the bookplate originated.

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Very interesting discussion above. Thanks guys!

Br!an
07-28-2013, 05:44 AM
Anyone looking for a first edition of THE MALTESE FALCON?

http://www.lwcurrey.com/pages/books/144963/dashiell-hammett/the-maltese-falcon

Yikes!!

I'll take two!

thegunslinger41
07-30-2013, 04:39 AM
Anyone here manage to purchase a copy of Terry Goodkinds (signed limited) "THE FIRST CONFESSOR: The Legend of Magda Searus"?

Will pay $350

Thank you.

Gabriel

cit74
07-30-2013, 06:16 AM
For those of you interested in Veronica Roth divergent series - she announce her signing tour for the third installment - divergent is being filmed now - due out in march 2014 - so this is getting big for her (and her books). Anyway not many stops according to her blog:

Tuesday, October 22nd @ 8:15PM
92nd St. Y
1395 Lexington Ave.
New York, NY 10128

Wednesday, October 23rd @ 7:00PM
Barnes & Noble – Store 2884
7700 West Northwest Hwy. Ste. 300
Dallas, TX 75225

Thursday, October 24th @ 7:00PM
The Castro Theatre, hosted by Books Inc.
429 Castro St.
San Francisco, CA 94114

Saturday, October 26th @ 2:00PM
Tivoli Theater, hosted by Anderson’s Bookshop
5021 Highland Ave.
Downers Grove, IL 60515

From her blog she gets exhausted from signings and it was listed as one signed book per person...anyway I've got 2 tickets for SF if anyone cares to join my wife and I.

ELazansky
07-30-2013, 06:35 AM
For those of you interested in Veronica Roth divergent series - she announce her signing tour for the third installment - divergent is being filmed now - due out in march 2014 - so this is getting big for her (and her books). Anyway not many stops according to her blog:

Tuesday, October 22nd @ 8:15PM
92nd St. Y
1395 Lexington Ave.
New York, NY 10128

Wednesday, October 23rd @ 7:00PM
Barnes & Noble – Store 2884
7700 West Northwest Hwy. Ste. 300
Dallas, TX 75225

Thursday, October 24th @ 7:00PM
The Castro Theatre, hosted by Books Inc.
429 Castro St.
San Francisco, CA 94114

Saturday, October 26th @ 2:00PM
Tivoli Theater, hosted by Anderson’s Bookshop
5021 Highland Ave.
Downers Grove, IL 60515

From her blog she gets exhausted from signings and it was listed as one signed book per person...anyway I've got 2 tickets for SF if anyone cares to join my wife and I.

Any chance you can get me a book? I am actually a big fan of the series and she is one signature I don't have. But, if it is only one book per person, I don't think you will have extras :-(

cit74
07-30-2013, 07:58 AM
unfortunately, from reading her blog - looks like this will be a difficult task. I did talk my wife into going that night - so we will get two books signed - probably just my copies of divergent and insurgent - and then hopefully go through the line again to get allegiant signed - but who knows.

herbertwest
07-31-2013, 02:43 AM
"Handwritten Edgar Allen Poe poem sells for $300,000 at South Shore auction" : Auctioneers had expected the item to fetch no more than $20,000
>>> http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/07/handwritten_poem_by_edgar_alle.html

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-31-2013, 02:47 PM
If I had $300,000 I'd retire, spend most of it on limited edition books, and then go job hunting.

cit74
08-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Abebooks has a new listing for signed divergent 1st/1st - sounds a bot worn and no pictures though:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=veronica+roth&bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&recentlyadded=all&sortby=17&sts=t&vci=114125&x=59&y=7

biomieg
08-05-2013, 12:25 PM
To my UK friends: I found a really nice set of Dune (Frank Herbert) books this weekend: vintage NEL paperbacks of volumes 4, 5 and 6 with great cover art (on a light blue background). Does anyone know which editions I'm talking about and if so, do you have a lead on volumes 1-3?

I can post pics tomorrow night if necessary.

swintek
08-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Anybody out there have those old Underwood/Miller HORRORSTORY Wagner collections? I'm thinking about finally picking these up, but was wondering if there were any new material (intros, etc.) unique to these editions. Also, if the original cover art (of the other 2 included older volumes- besides the actual cover- if you know what I mean) is included somewhere inside. Never actually seen one of these out in the wild.

Thanks,

Ron

deanhoadley
08-23-2013, 03:15 AM
Just today got a signed 1st/1st hardback copy of Susan Hill The Women in Black, the first from 1983 along with a 1st/1st of The Bird in Night (Susan Hill) signed, from 1972

Scoogs
09-07-2013, 07:25 PM
I picked this one up a couple of weeks back:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2883/9695472205_d63c554c78_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3819/9695472335_23e5044f4d_o.jpg

Scoogs
09-09-2013, 05:24 PM
I wonder how much hype will build around this book.

S. by Doug Dorst and J.J. Abrams (http://movies.yahoo.com/news/j-j-abrams-answers-mystery-trailer-second-trailer-185527820.html)

One book. Two readers. A world of mystery, menace and desire.

A young woman picks up a book left behind by a stranger. Inside it are his margin notes, which reveal a reader entranced by the story and by its mysterious author. She responds with notes of her own, leaving the book for the stranger, and so begins an unlikely conversation that plunges them both into the unknown.

THE BOOK: Ship of Theseus, the final novel by a prolific but enigmatic writer named V. M. Straka, in which a man with no past is shanghaied onto a strange ship with a monstrous crew and launched on a disorienting and perilous journey.

THE WRITER: Straka, the incendiary and secretive subject of one of the world's greatest mysteries, a revolutionary about whom the world knows nothing apart from the words he wrote and the rumours that swirl around him.

THE READERS: Jennifer and Eric, a college senior and a disgraced grad student, both facing crucial decisions about who they are, who they might become, and how much they're willing to trust another person with their passions, hurts and fears.

S., conceived by filmmaker J.J. Abrams and written by award-winning novelist Doug Dorst, is the chronicle of two readers finding each other in the margins of a book and enmeshing themselves in a deadly struggle between forces they don't understand. It is also Abrams and Dorst's love letter to the written word.

soonyouwillknow.com (http://soonyouwillknow.com/)

Booknutt
09-09-2013, 05:37 PM
I don't know but I'm interested.

Scoogs
09-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Agreed, it does sound interesting and I like the design of it with the slipcase as well.
I'm sure Abrams will have quite a bit of interesting marketing set up around the book.

Booknutt
09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm working a book trade show next week and this is at the top of my list to get an ARC of if they're available.

CRinVA
09-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Scoogs, I like the Frank Herbert book you picked up. I read The White Plague like 30 years ago. Frank Herbert is one of my fave authors of all time; he is a genius at Science Ficitno; I also like the collaborations between his son Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson for all the Dune books they added to the Duniverse! I have all the collaboratinos in HB and signed by both authors. Of the first six dune books written by Frank I have 4, 5, and 6 as 1st Editions, and 1, 2 and 3 as later printings. A first edition Dune is worth a pretty penny.

Do you know the backstory on getting that book published? Well, Herbert shopped it around to all the publication hosues that touched sci fi at the time and they all were not willing to take a risk on a "big" book that diverged from the standard stock sci fi stories. Eventually Chilton Publishing took a chance and the rest is History. And who is Chilton - why they mostly published Car Repair manuals by Make & Model!

jhanic
09-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Wasn't Dune first serialized in Analog SF? I'm not sure, but I think it was.

John

CRinVA
09-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Yes it was!

jhanic
09-10-2013, 12:08 PM
That's where I first read it. I'm not sure if I ever got the paperbacks or not (almost all my old books, magazines, etc. were destroyed in a flooded basement a number of years ago.)

John

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-10-2013, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE (almost all my old books, magazines, etc. were destroyed in a flooded basement a number of years ago.)

John[/QUOTE]

Now THAT'S a horror story!

jhanic
09-10-2013, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE (almost all my old books, magazines, etc. were destroyed in a flooded basement a number of years ago.)

John

Now THAT'S a horror story![/QUOTE]

My wife and I were vacationing in Hawaii. The remnants of a hurricane hit our area. We live on a slight slope and the rainwater came down so heavily that it floated some of our landscape timbers, one of which crashed through a basement window. We ended up with more than 8" of water in the basement. We didn't find out until we got home a week later. I had between 30,000 and 50,000 books, magazines, paperbacks and other items stored down there, which I had collected since about 1961. I lost about 80% of the collection.

John

Scoogs
09-10-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm working a book trade show next week and this is at the top of my list to get an ARC of if they're available.

Good luck! And if you get an extra...

Scoogs
09-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Scoogs, I like the Frank Herbert book you picked up. I read The White Plague like 30 years ago. Frank Herbert is one of my fave authors of all time; he is a genius at Science Ficitno; I also like the collaborations between his son Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson for all the Dune books they added to the Duniverse! I have all the collaboratinos in HB and signed by both authors. Of the first six dune books written by Frank I have 4, 5, and 6 as 1st Editions, and 1, 2 and 3 as later printings. A first edition Dune is worth a pretty penny.

Do you know the backstory on getting that book published? Well, Herbert shopped it around to all the publication hosues that touched sci fi at the time and they all were not willing to take a risk on a "big" book that diverged from the standard stock sci fi stories. Eventually Chilton Publishing took a chance and the rest is History. And who is Chilton - why they mostly published Car Repair manuals by Make & Model!

I actually just finished a reread of the original 6 Dune novels earlier this year and read a few interviews at the time where him where he mentioned the car repair manuals!
I have several of the BH/KJA novels that I've picked up at library sales, but haven't found the will to read them yet. (I have a very strong dislike of KJA from some of his previous work.)

One of my high school English teachers was a huge Dune fan and was the main reason that I picked up the books a few years later.

I only have the first three in various paperbacks, but I do have the signed/limited first editions of 4, 5 and 6.

herbertwest
09-11-2013, 01:26 AM

John

Now THAT'S a horror story!

My wife and I were vacationing in Hawaii. The remnants of a hurricane hit our area. We live on a slight slope and the rainwater came down so heavily that it floated some of our landscape timbers, one of which crashed through a basement window. We ended up with more than 8" of water in the basement. We didn't find out until we got home a week later. I had between 30,000 and 50,000 books, magazines, paperbacks and other items stored down there, which I had collected since about 1961. I lost about 80% of the collection.

John[/QUOTE]
Wow, that was some collection. What a shame it was mostly destroyed... how did it work out with your insurance?

jhanic
09-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Because they determined it was flood damage and I didn't have a flood policy they refused to cover any of the damage.

John

CRinVA
09-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Scoogs,

From what I gather Dune (original) fans either love or hate the followon novels by Brian Herbert and KJA. Personally I love them. I've been to a couple of their signings / talks. It is interesting to see how they collaborate. They outline every book and then split up chapters, KJA gets the more SciFi, galactic war type scenes, while Brian follows more in the vein of Frank with the philosophic, government, thought provocative type chapters.

I just finished a re-listen of the original 6 and am currently listening to Hunters of Dune - this would be book 7 in the series and will be following with Sandworms of Dune, book 8 (final). All the rest that are published by Brian Herbert and KJA are earlier in timeline all the way back to the Butlerian Jihad.

herbertwest
09-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Because they determined it was flood damage and I didn't have a flood policy they refused to cover any of the damage.

John

fuck....

Scoogs
09-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Scoogs,

From what I gather Dune (original) fans either love or hate the followon novels by Brian Herbert and KJA. Personally I love them. I've been to a couple of their signings / talks. It is interesting to see how they collaborate. They outline every book and then split up chapters, KJA gets the more SciFi, galactic war type scenes, while Brian follows more in the vein of Frank with the philosophic, government, thought provocative type chapters.

I just finished a re-listen of the original 6 and am currently listening to Hunters of Dune - this would be book 7 in the series and will be following with Sandworms of Dune, book 8 (final). All the rest that are published by Brian Herbert and KJA are earlier in timeline all the way back to the Butlerian Jihad.

You aren't kidding about the split over the newer novels. Some of the online reviews are their own form of entertainment.
I do have Hunters and Sandworms in my pile of unread books, but decided not to start them yet after reading a synopsis of both online.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed 5 and 6 this time around. I didn't care for 4-6 much the first time through.
God Emperor is still my least favorite, but even that one was better the second time through.

I have several other Frank Herbert books that I picked up at a library sale that are waiting to be read. Some of those may be my next reads after A Song of Ice and Fire.

Scoogs
09-11-2013, 07:31 PM

John

Ouch, that had to hurt. :mad:

Scoogs
09-20-2013, 08:26 PM
I lucked out on a saved search through Abebooks recently and added received this today.

When the SFBC was celebrating their 50th anniversary a few years ago, they made a limited edition, leather-bound version of Dune. It was only available to members and despite not really being much to look at, remains highly sought after.

I've been looking for this one for a while, but they rarely show up for sale and usually cost a few hundred when they do. I snagged this one for $40.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7370/9847951473_9a58859644_o.jpghttp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7375/9847912236_873f90710a_o.jpg

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-21-2013, 01:01 AM
I like that DUNE. Makes me want to re-read it.

Tommy
09-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Other Authors I collect...Robert McCammon, Chuck Palahniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, Kealan Patrick Burke, Edward Lee, Jack Ketchum, Hugh Howey and Jeff Lindsay along with several strays of others, that copy of DUNE is quite nice looking, perhaps it's time I read it :thumbsup:

deanhoadley
09-26-2013, 04:43 AM
Does anyone collect Frederick Forsyth at all? Been recently given a signed 1st of The Day of The Jackal from 1971

herbertwest
09-29-2013, 03:20 AM
Angel time, by Anne Rice, will become a serie for CBS

Br!an
09-29-2013, 04:36 AM
Does anyone collect Frederick Forsyth at all? Been recently given a signed 1st of The Day of The Jackal from 1971

Nice! Is the the UK first?

I just noticed you are in the UK so it probably is.

deanhoadley
09-30-2013, 01:14 AM
Yeah thats right, I was very excited to get it!

Patrick
10-01-2013, 08:12 PM

Nice! Is the the UK first?

I just noticed you are in the UK so it probably is.

Yeah thats right, I was very excited to get it!

Congrats! I'd love to see a couple photos of that book.

mosheprigan
10-02-2013, 12:16 PM
TOM CLANCY has died. Here is a link:
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/tom-clancy-has-died_b78579

herbertwest
10-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Any Douglas Kennedy fans here?
I havent read anything from him, but i just found out that on the 8th he will be doing a signing at, literally, next door to my work on the Champs Elysées.

herbertwest
10-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Heard that Max Brooks will be in Paris next monday for a free signing in a geeky bar :)

herbertwest
11-03-2013, 09:02 AM
As well as Orson Scott Card who does a signing in Paris on monday. I will try to go there, but cant promise as it's supposed to be earlyish in the evening... :-/

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Speaking of Card, who I used to collect; I just saw ENDER'S GAME today and enjoyed it very much. I hope it accelerates the price of my VF first edition to the stars! Just kidding of course (NOT). It's just a book! (right)

divemaster
11-04-2013, 05:41 AM
Speaking of Card, who I used to collect; I just saw ENDER'S GAME today and enjoyed it very much. I hope it accelerates the price of my VF first edition to the stars! Just kidding of course (NOT). It's just a book! (right)

The Washington Post gave it a very good review this weekend. 3.5 out of 4 stars. Said it was not only entertaining, but thought-provoking and poignant as well.

Question: If I want to read the book, is it just one book? Or am I setting myself up for a bunch of sequels a la Dune.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-04-2013, 06:06 AM
I thought the first two, ENDER'S GAME and SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD, were absolutely great. But, to be honest, I hated every other book I read in the series. That's one of the reasons I stopped reading Card's books. I read the next five Ender-Bean books, could hardly get through any of them.

On a better note, I absolutely LOVED his Alvin Maker series, every book a real gem.

Weird, but true!

Booknutt
11-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Having only read Ender's Game, even though it's a series, I thought it was pretty self contained and could be read by itself.

herbertwest
11-04-2013, 11:47 AM
I bought 2 copies of ENDER'S GAME, and got them signed by the author. I'll be giving a copy away to a friend of mine.
I must admit that i was a bit surprised. I discovered about this signing, by pure accident a few days ago. The signing was starting at 6pm, I arrived at 7pm... and there was a woman in front of me... and a guy that arrived just after me.
First time that I saw a signing that quiet. Dunno if it's because I arrived "late" or not. Although I dont think that there was a lot of communication about it. Even in the store (a chain store), there was posters for another upcoming event : a discussion between 2 experts about Tolkien. But nothing about OSC. :s

goathunter
11-11-2013, 02:04 PM
I thought the first two, ENDER'S GAME and SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD, were absolutely great. But, to be honest, I hated every other book I read in the series. That's one of the reasons I stopped reading Card's books. I read the next five Ender-Bean books, could hardly get through any of them.

I agree about Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. I thought the next two were not bad, but after reading a couple of the Ender-Bean books, I gave up on them completely.

I met Card at a booksigning in 1989 and had him sign my SFBC edition of Ender's War, which was an omnibus edition of the first two books. He told me then that he'd never write a third book. ;-)

On a better note, I absolutely LOVED his Alvin Maker series, every book a real gem.

I couldn't get into those or any other Card books. I gave up trying many moons ago.

Hunter

Booknutt
11-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Finally got my copy of S. by JJ Abrams and Doug Dorst. Really impressive looking book. I see now why they put the slipcase on it. Lots "notes" and other goodies tucked into the book.

And this book may out House of Leaves , House of Leaves for weird typography.

Comrade Alex
11-12-2013, 05:57 PM
John Scalzi,

one of my favorite sci-fi writer twitted: "Want signed/personalized books from me for holiday gifts? This is the way to do it: http://t.co/CeKxA7iDrJ (Note: US only)"

becca69
12-03-2013, 07:17 AM
For fans of Patrick Rothfuss, The Signed page is offering SubPress trade edition copies of The Dark of Deep Below double signed by Pat & Nate. Nate is offering a limited number of remarques.

http://signedpage.com/2013/12/pre-order-the-dark-of-deep-below-by-patrick-rothfuss-nate-taylor/

Carter
01-22-2014, 04:08 PM
I collect Dennis Lehane, Dan Brown, Cormack McCarthy, and anything by any contributor to Rod Serling's Twilight Zone.

Nickelwise
01-30-2014, 11:48 AM
I collect Robert Bloch, and am really big on horror anthologies from the 50's on. Also anything Alfred Hitchcock or Rod Serling related. Also Clive Barker, David J. Schow, Ramsey Campbell, Joe Hill and Joe R. Lansdale to name a few.

Amber
02-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Can someone help me? How do I do a return postage if I send a book to an author to be signed? Thanks-Amber

becca69
02-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Can someone help me? How do I do a return postage if I send a book to an author to be signed? Thanks-Amber

Some authors ask you to include $$ or you can purchase stamps that are equal to the shipping cost.

thegunslinger41
02-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Anyone get a chance to snatch a copy of THE FIRST CONFESSOR: THE LEGEND OF MAGDA SEARUS? Hardback was only released as a limited edition. Uber rare and first of it's kind. See link.

http://www.terrygoodkindstore.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-first-confessor-collectors-edition

Dan
02-25-2014, 05:59 PM
I just finished Gone Girl today. Great book, excellent writing, fantastic story.

I didn't care for the way it ended. I also didn't care for the way Amy constantly listed options like her quizzes and selected an answer. The constant back and forth points of view along with the emotional roller coaster that is felt with each character were things that I did enjoy. Amy is a pretty smart girl, although psycho.

Joe315
02-25-2014, 06:14 PM
I just finished Gone Girl today. Great book, excellent writing, fantastic story.

I didn't care for the way it ended. I also didn't care for the way Amy constantly listed options like her quizzes and selected an answer. The constant back and forth points of view along with the emotional roller coaster that is felt with each character were things that I did enjoy. Amy is a pretty smart girl, although psycho.

My Sister didn't like the ending either. I liked it but can see where you're coming from.

Dan
02-26-2014, 10:21 AM

My Sister didn't like the ending either. I liked it but can see where you're coming from.

To clarify, I didn't dislike the ending, I just wish it would have been different. Probably sounds weird, sorry.

Scoogs
03-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Looks like Easton Press is doing a second run of the Vampire Chronicles with Interview signed by Anne Rice.
I missed them the first time around, so I'm kind of happy to see them available again, but would have like something to distinguish these from the first run.

Does anyone here have the original edition? Was Interview numbered, or just signed?
These appear to be numbered out of 3,000 copies.

carlosdetweiller
03-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Looks like Easton Press is doing a second run of the Vampire Chronicles with Interview signed by Anne Rice.
I missed them the first time around, so I'm kind of happy to see them available again, but would have like something to distinguish these from the first run.

Does anyone here have the original edition? Was Interview numbered, or just signed?
These appear to be numbered out of 3,000 copies.

I have the original edition. It was numbered out of 3,000 copies and signed. There is also a certificate of authenticity laid in. The other four volumes are not signed or numbered.

Scoogs
03-10-2014, 07:21 PM
I have the original edition. It was numbered out of 3,000 copies and signed. There is also a certificate of authenticity laid in. The other four volumes are not signed or numbered.

Thank you.

Shannon
03-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Speaking of the Vampire Chronicles ...

LESTAT'S BACK BAAAABBBAAAAYYYY!

carlosdetweiller
03-11-2014, 05:24 AM
The picture on the Easton Press website shows a very similar binding to the original editions. The original Easton edition of "Interview" has Rice's facsimile signature in gold on the front board and the photo of the current edition lacks that. So there will at least be that difference to help distinguish between the two editions. I suspect there will be other subtle variations noticeable when the two editions are held side by side.

Scoogs
03-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Speaking of the Vampire Chronicles ...

LESTAT'S BACK BAAAABBBAAAAYYYY!

Nice, I had not heard the news yet.

http://www.today.com/books/lestat-back-anne-rice-announces-new-vampire-chronicles-sequel-2D79346057

Rice said the new book in the series, out in October, will be a "true sequel" to "Queen of the Damned," the 1988 novel that was third in the series that began with "Interview with the Vampire."

I hope that's true.
The quality dropped a lot after book 5 (Memnoch), although I did like the last two.

It might be time to start a rereading.

fearless-freak
03-11-2014, 09:54 AM
just read that myself

becca69
03-12-2014, 11:29 AM
I wonder if there will be a limited of Prince Lestat? She also said there would be a second book... maybe a third.

Lurker
03-12-2014, 09:20 PM
And the original Easton Press sold individually for 39.75. Now you have to buy the whole set. Decisions, decisions.

carlosdetweiller
03-13-2014, 04:12 AM
And the original Easton Press sold individually for 39.75. Now you have to buy the whole set. Decisions, decisions.

I paid more than that through Easton. I paid $80 for Interview (received in December, 1999) and $59 each for the last four (received in June, 2001). I honestly do not recall buying and receiving these. That is just what I have in my records. Was Interview published as a stand alone signed edition in 1999? And the last four books offered as a set in 2001? I don't remember.

Lurker
03-13-2014, 09:17 AM
It must have been sold alone - I did have a subcription to signed firsts of science fiction but it wouldn't fit in that - and I did not buy the others. I have been trying to organize drawers full of paper lately so I remembered scanning this in:

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac54/ICONfan/IWTVEP.jpg

Edit: Unless maybe it was split into two payments...then I'm missing a checkstub!

Scoogs
03-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Interesting, I always thought it was a full set. Admittedly though, that was before I started collecting books.
I do have the unsigned set that they issued later.

becca69
03-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Anne Rice signed copies of Prince Lestat for $18

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/prince-lestat-anne-rice/1118889153?r=1&ean=9781101874400&cm_em=rebeccadornsife%40comcast.net&cm_mmc=Targeted-_-New%20Release%20Alerts-_-140326_TD_NRA_P_PRINCELESTAT-_-NA

Scoogs
03-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks Becca!

jonahwriter
03-29-2014, 07:45 PM
I also collect Dean Koontz and Peter Straub. Lately I've begun to collect some Agatha Christie works as well - I'd always read her but never collected her, goal is to get a genuine Christie signed copy one day but it's difficult and expensive. I have a few signed Koontz and Straub books.

carlosdetweiller
03-30-2014, 04:17 AM
I also collect Dean Koontz and Peter Straub. Lately I've begun to collect some Agatha Christie works as well - I'd always read her but never collected her, goal is to get a genuine Christie signed copy one day but it's difficult and expensive. I have a few signed Koontz and Straub books.

Good luck with the Agatha Christie search! I used to collect Dean Koontz but lost interest a few years ago. I still have tons of Koontz stuff boxed up and put away. It is nice to have another Straub collector on board. I started a Straub thread in this forum a while back but it is buried way back now due to lack of posts/interest. Start posting on it and I will pitch in too.

Tito_Villa
03-30-2014, 01:59 PM
I've only read two Straub novels ( Ghost Story & Koko) and really enjoyed them, couldn't get into Floating Dragon though

The Library Policeman
03-30-2014, 02:49 PM
I tried Mr X some years a go but gave up. I may try it again though.

carlosdetweiller
03-30-2014, 03:49 PM

I would recommend The Hellfire Club over Mr. X if you haven't read a lot of Straub.

The Library Policeman
03-31-2014, 03:36 AM

I would recommend The Hellfire Club over Mr. X if you haven't read a lot of Straub.

Cheers for the recommendation, Bob. I will give The Hellfire Club a go instead.

MLG
03-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Hell Fire Club and Lost Boy/Lost Girl are great reads. Mr. X is puzzling at best.

Scoogs
03-31-2014, 07:33 PM
Easton Press just added a signed edition of Fight Club.

jonahwriter
03-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Highly agree about "The Hellfire Club". By far and away, my favourite Straub. Love it, especially the literary colony Shorelands... ah, I want to re-read it now yet again LOL! Second favourite Straub is "Mystery" - stunning and best of the "Blue Rose" original trilogy (now a quintet?) in my opinion. "If You Could See Me Now", "Shadowland", and "Ghost Story", would complete my Top 5 Straub!

becca69
04-01-2014, 07:02 AM
Easton Press just added a signed edition of Fight Club.

Thanks. Just ordered it!

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-05-2014, 05:35 PM
I just finished reading BAD RONALD again, which I highly recommend. It's the whole book or included in these:

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/ronald.jpg

Booknutt
04-10-2014, 10:31 AM
How did I not know Patrick Rothfuss was signing in town tonight?

Br!an
06-04-2014, 05:19 AM
From Gauntlet's newletter:

Owen’s Kings DOUBLE FEATURE has arrived and we have begun shipping the numbered edition. All copies of the numbered edition will have shipped by the time you receive this newsletter. We also expect slipcases to arrive by the end of the week and will begin shipping those copies as soon as they arrive.

Traycases may take a little longer to receive. The traycase will be beveled with the cover art inset on the top of the traycase. Our manufacturer had to wait until he received dustjackets from our printer before he could begin work on the traycases.

We are down to twenty copies of the numbered edition and 2 copies of the lettered.

http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=template&thispage=DoubleFeature&ORDER_ID=249155743

Dan
06-04-2014, 05:25 AM
From Gauntlet's newletter:

Owen’s Kings DOUBLE FEATURE has arrived and we have begun shipping the numbered edition. All copies of the numbered edition will have shipped by the time you receive this newsletter. We also expect slipcases to arrive by the end of the week and will begin shipping those copies as soon as they arrive.

Traycases may take a little longer to receive. The traycase will be beveled with the cover art inset on the top of the traycase. Our manufacturer had to wait until he received dustjackets from our printer before he could begin work on the traycases.

We are down to twenty copies of the numbered edition and 2 copies of the lettered.

http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=template&thispage=DoubleFeature&ORDER_ID=249155743

Got my numbered edition last week. Looks nice, nothing spectacular, but nice. It came with a bookmark signed by Owen. Not sure what to do with the bookmark, but always nice to have a free extra.

Br!an
06-04-2014, 05:50 AM
Got my numbered edition last week. Looks nice, nothing spectacular, but nice. It came with a bookmark signed by Owen. Not sure what to do with the bookmark, but always nice to have a free extra.

I ordered the slipcase so will have to wait a little longer.

I put on a Brodart cover and then tuck bookmarks, event tickets, etc., into the pocket formed by the cover and dustjacket in the flap.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_4671.JPG

Kingfan24
06-04-2014, 06:20 AM

I ordered the slipcase so will have to wait a little longer.

I put on a Brodart cover and then tuck bookmarks, event tickets, etc., into the pocket formed by the cover and dustjacket in the flap.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_4671.JPG

Nice to see another white glove user here!

WeDealInLead
06-04-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure if I posted in this thread already and I'm not going to go through 59 pages to investigate. Other than King, I collect:

Neil Gaiman - signed trades only. I'm missing two or three. No rush, his signature isn't expensive. US editions only.

China Mieville - whatever I can get a deal on. Most Mieville fans hold onto the really expensive books so they don't come up for sale often. When they do, they're expensive (compared to their cover price).
Cheaper than King but generally speaking, his lettereds are more difficult to find than King's. UK and US editions (he lives in UK).

Tim Powers - whatever I can get a good deal on. Ultramarine and Charnel House books are pricey so I'm getting out the "cheaper" editions out of the way first. I'm collecting US editions only.

Gene Wolfe - I have nothing fancy by him now but my mental finger is always on the pulse if I come across the Centipede edition of the New Sun tetralogy. I love and admire his books, but his bibliography is massive and I'm too intimidated to start collecting even trades.

Tim Lebbon - I believe that next to Lebbon himself I have the most extensive collection of his books. I don't know how to say that without sounding like an arrogant jerk, but it is what it is.

Jack Vance, PKD and Silverberg have nice collections from Subterranean and those are the ones I collect. I'm a huge fan of a short story.

Not everything by Dan Simmons is worth collecting IMO but I'm always on the lookout for the Hyperion/Endymion signed firsts in fine condition.

ajw2910
06-04-2014, 10:31 AM
I have almost all the S/L Brian Keene, a number of Robert McCammon, some Clive Barker, Greg Gifune, and Dean Koontz. A lot of one-offs of other authors as well. In addition to all my S/L King stuff of course.

carlosdetweiller
06-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Not everything by Dan Simmons is worth collecting IMO but I'm always on the lookout for the Hyperion/Endymion signed firsts in fine condition.

It is interesting (to me anyway) that what appeals to one person does not appeal to another. I love almost everything Simmons has written but I like the Hyperion/Endymion books the least.

becca69
06-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Is there a reason the Neil Gaiman thread is closed?

BTW - I was able to order a signed copy of Truth in a Cave from the Connecticut bookstore.

biomieg
06-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I think threads sometimes close when a mod posted something. I have no idea how that works.

Randall Flagg
06-05-2014, 10:24 AM
I think threads sometimes close when a mod posted something. I have no idea how that works.
I opened it back up.
The usual reason threads get accidentally closed is a Mod using a smart phone to check a thread mistakenly double clicks on the thread icon and closes the thread.

becca69
06-05-2014, 11:19 AM
I opened it back up.
The usual reason threads get accidentally closed is a Mod using a smart phone to check a thread mistakenly double clicks on the thread icon and closes the thread.

Patrick :orely:

Patrick
06-05-2014, 11:38 AM
:doh:

carlosdetweiller
06-07-2014, 10:27 AM
I can't get enough of Dracula editions. In 2008 The Folio Society published an edition of Dracula that I liked quite a bit, especially the woodcut illustrations by Abigail Rorer. I found this on eBay a couple of weeks ago and had not heard of this edition. It is published by The Lone Oak Press. One of five copies (this is "III" of "V"). It has a custom traycase, a signed copy of the book and a portfolio of the nine engravings all signed and numbered (all "III" of "V"). Happy to have found this.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/foliodracula1_zps8adf4c0f.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/foliodracula2_zps93a2e261.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/foliodracula3_zps22c60f6d.jpg

jhanic
06-07-2014, 10:39 AM
It's beautiful! Congratulations!

John

Randall Flagg
06-07-2014, 11:13 AM
That is marvelous. Great find!

Dan
06-07-2014, 11:50 AM
That is great! I keep my eyes open for various Dracula books, but haven't found any that I want to spend money on yet. Love that book, top ten for sure.

becca69
06-08-2014, 10:04 AM
I can't get enough of Dracula editions. In 2008 The Folio Society published an edition of Dracula that I liked quite a bit, especially the woodcut illustrations by Abigail Rorer. I found this on eBay a couple of weeks ago and had not heard of this edition. It is published by The Lone Oak Press. One of five copies (this is "III" of "V"). It has a custom traycase, a signed copy of the book and a portfolio of the nine engravings all signed and numbered (all "III" of "V"). Happy to have found this.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/foliodracula1_zps8adf4c0f.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/foliodracula2_zps93a2e261.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/foliodracula3_zps22c60f6d.jpg

That's awesome. Did you see the new Easton Press edition illustrated by Rick Berry, not quite as nice, but...

http://www.eastonpress.com/Books/prod/4A0/Bram-Stoker-s-DRACULA_2870.aspx?source=E1669&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dracula_5-28-14

carlosdetweiller
06-08-2014, 11:08 AM
That's awesome. Did you see the new Easton Press edition illustrated by Rick Berry, not quite as nice, but...

http://www.eastonpress.com/Books/prod/4A0/Bram-Stoker-s-DRACULA_2870.aspx?source=E1669&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dracula_5-28-14

Thanks! I had not seen the Rick Berry illustrated book. I knew it was coming but didn't know when. But wow! It is $276! Says it is not shipping until 6/30.

Patrick
06-08-2014, 12:23 PM
That is beautiful edition, Bob.

I like Rick Berry's artwork in the Easton edition too.

becca69
06-09-2014, 06:43 PM

Thanks! I had not seen the Rick Berry illustrated book. I knew it was coming but didn't know when. But wow! It is $276! Says it is not shipping until 6/30.

Yeah, that's why I haven't ordered one yet. Kinda high.

ap275
06-09-2014, 07:54 PM

Yeah, that's why I haven't ordered one yet. Kinda high.

All their numbered editions are expensive, but the production quality is usually second to none. They seem to be reissuing many books they have published before now in limited, sometimes numbered and/or signed editions, so would not be surprised if reissues of Frankenstein and Phantom of the Opera would follow at some point. I think Dracula will be signed by the artist and numbered.

becca69
06-10-2014, 06:14 AM
Yep, it is signed by Rick Berry and numbered - 1200 edition.

Booknutt
06-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Anybody collect China Mieville?
I've got a few of his books I'm letting go.

Perdido Street Station UK Arc
The Tain signed limited
King Rat Signed Limited
Iron Council UK signed, slipcased.

Let me know if you're interested.

Stockerlone
07-11-2014, 09:35 AM
My Japanese historical novels Taiko + Musashi from Eiji Yoshikawa and the book from Miyamoto Musashi 1584 – June 13, 1645 -
Das Buch der Fünf Ringe - The Book of Five Rings.
He was the founder of the Hyōhō Niten Ichi-ryū or Niten-ryū style of swordsmanship and the author of The Book of Five Rings Go Rin No Sho,
a book on strategy, tactics, and philosophy that is still studied today.

Eiji Yoshikawa - Taiko
German HC first
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2946.JPG

Eiji Yoshikawa - Musashi
German HC first
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2947.JPG

Eiji Yoshikawa - Musashi
German SC first
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2949.JPG

Eiji Yoshikawa - Taiko
German SC first
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2950.JPG

Eiji Yoshikawa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiji_Yoshikawa

Miyamoto Musashi - Das Buch der Fünf Ringe The Book of Five Rings
German HC first
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2944.JPG

Miyamoto Musashi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi
1584 – June 13, 1645

Miyamoto Musashi - Fünf Ringe / The Book of Five Rings
German SC first
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2953.JPG

frik
07-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Ray Harryhausen anyone?
I'm letting this one go on eBay - no reserve!

sk

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ray-Harryhausen-Master-of-the-Majicks-The-British-Films-vol-3-by-Mike-/261529933147?pt=US_Texbook_Education&hash=item3ce466155b

Booknutt
07-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Anybody here a Terry Brooks fan? (Or want to be?) I have a largish collection I'd like to let go as a set but will take inquires on specific pieces. I don't have everything by him, but some nice gems including a signed limited arc of Jerle Shannara, hardcover signed Sword of Shannara (1991 edition) a lot of ARCs. Plus a lot are signed. (some personalized)

Pm me if you want a complete list.

carlosdetweiller
08-10-2014, 03:49 AM
I read The Amityville Horror way back in 1978 or so. It was one of those books that really scared me. I think it scared me so much because it was supposed to be a true story. I guess it has pretty much been exposed as a hoax but some still believe something supernatural was going on in that house. Anyway I feel pretty naive that I bought in to the story and let it scare me but I certainly was not alone. It seems like such a long time ago.

Nice first edition copies of the book seem to be very hard to come by and there are several later printings that are advertised as "first editions." But I had never seen a proof of this title for sale until recently. This one looks unread and just about as new. An interesting piece of American horror literature history.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/amityville_zps99fb76d6.jpg

The Library Policeman
08-10-2014, 04:17 AM
Very nice, Bob. I think I read it for the first time in the early 80's and really enjoyed it also.

dnemec
08-10-2014, 05:52 AM
I read The Amityville Horror way back in 1978 or so. It was one of those books that really scared me. I think it scared me so much because it was supposed to be a true story. I guess it has pretty much been exposed as a hoax but some still believe something supernatural was going on in that house. Anyway I feel pretty naive that I bought in to the story and let it scare me but I certainly was not alone. It seems like such a long time ago.

Nice first edition copies of the book seem to be very hard to come by and there are several later printings that are advertised as "first editions." But I had never seen a proof of this title for sale until recently. This one looks unread and just about as new. An interesting piece of American horror literature history.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/amityville_zps99fb76d6.jpg

Wow, Bob. Unbelievable! I loved this book too when I read it in the 80s (of course, I was not even a teenager, so I blame my naivete on that!). But I have been looking on and off for a good 1st edition. I can't believe you found a proof! Do you have super powers?!

carlosdetweiller
08-10-2014, 06:11 AM
But I have been looking on and off for a good 1st edition. I can't believe you found a proof! Do you have super powers?!

No. Just some good fortune every now and then from spending way too much time on the internet. And I'm looking for a nice first edition copy too.

biomieg
08-10-2014, 12:52 PM
One of the many books I still need to read. Fabulous acquisition, Bob!

Scoogs
08-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Anyone that has looked at my collection thread knows that I'm a Dune fan.
Easton Press announced today that they are finally publishing a set of all 6 original novels. I've been waiting for that to happen for a long time.

They are kind of overpriced at $110 each for regular unsigned EP editions, considering you can still buy their regular edition of Dune for $70 (or less on ebay).
However, I'm pretty excited to get them. (At least until I can convince Jerad at CP to publish them.)

WeDealInLead
08-18-2014, 02:25 PM
. (At least until I can convince Jerad at CP to publish them.)

That's a great idea.

Also, Ringworld and Space Odyssey.

Scoogs
08-18-2014, 02:42 PM
. (At least until I can convince Jerad at CP to publish them.)

That's a great idea.

Also, Ringworld and Space Odyssey.

I've actually talked to him a couple of times about Dune. He did show some initial interest, but has a lot in the publishing schedule. I need to follow up with him again.

WeDealInLead
08-21-2014, 09:46 AM
I have two Tim Lebbon lettered editions for sale: Mind the Gap and Last Exit for the Lost. Not PC, both in fine condition. $100 + shipping for both.

WeDealInLead
08-28-2014, 05:39 PM
I didn't know Christopher Priest wrote comics. His 600+ page collection is coming out in a couple months. The price is reasonable but I think I'll hold off on pre-ordering until I see the book in person in a comic store. I'd like check out the paper stock, binding, art etc. before spending $60 on a book I've never read.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1939346363/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

Booknutt
08-28-2014, 05:51 PM
That's a different Christopher Priest.
But it's a hilarious comic that's worth a read.

DoctorZaius
09-14-2014, 06:06 AM
A really cool signed limited edition of Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card just went up for sale from Centipede Press - ships the end of the month and it sounds/looks awesome!