PDA

View Full Version : Other authors you collect

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

thegreattim
01-26-2011, 07:20 AM
SubPress just announced the S/L of McCammon's first novel (http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SP&Product_Code=mccammon04) Baal and what unfortunately seems to be the new practice (if the last two announcements can constitute a pattern) of a $50 higher "deluxe" S/L with all the stuff a $75 book should have.

Not being into McCammon much (though I'd buy and S/L of Swan Song), I'm going to take a pass on this. But I know there are some here who will jump on this offer. So, here's the heads up!

biomieg
01-26-2011, 07:52 AM
I will be getting the $75 book but I'm not in a hurry with preordering.

frik
01-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Yep - I jumped!
Pre-ordered the $75.00 editions, plus the numbered one.
Just couldn't resist...

sk

swintek
01-26-2011, 09:06 AM
SubPress just announced the S/L of McCammon's first novel (http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SP&Product_Code=mccammon04) Baal and what unfortunately seems to be the new practice (if the last two announcements can constitute a pattern) of a $50 higher "deluxe" S/L with all the stuff a $75 book should have.

Not being into McCammon much (though I'd buy and S/L of Swan Song), I'm going to take a pass on this. But I know there are some here who will jump on this offer. So, here's the heads up!

Yeah, I was disappointed by the tiered pricing as well. And I agree- at 1000 copies, the $75.00 should have the leather and the slipcase. There seems to be no point to the $125.00 edition.

Was hoping Subpress would be moving away from what seems to be a universally reviled practice- rather than ramping it up. Make the best edition you can for a price the market will bear, and add a lettered if you must (I'm even against those in most cases, but I understand why they are done).

Ron

jhanic
01-26-2011, 10:04 AM
I'll probably wait until they start showing up in the secondary market at a much more reasonable price.

John

frik
01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
The lettered's sold out.

sk

WeDealInLead
01-26-2011, 04:43 PM
The only one I considered was the lettered but it sold out while I was at band practice. The 1000 copy edition is just a signed trade so the inflated price for an average presentation is not something I'm interested in. They could've just offered the same option they offered for The Five.. signed trade edition at an affordable price or at the very least an unsigned trade edition. They cornered the market with Baal and they know it - anyone who wants a hardcover has to dish out $75.

Fsmdr
01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks for your input on the signature, Eric and Alan.

At least I've got those to add to my notes. Very helpful indeed.

goathunter
01-27-2011, 09:30 AM
For anyone interested, the lettered edition of Baal is available again. The limitation has been increased from 26 to 52 copies. Baal at SubPress (http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SP&Product_Code=mccammon04).

Hunter

surly
01-27-2011, 10:07 AM
For anyone interested, the lettered edition of Baal is available again. The limitation has been increased from 26 to 52 copies. Baal at SubPress (http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SP&Product_Code=mccammon04).

Hunter

I like Sub Press, but that really grinds my gears.

biomieg
01-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I guess a 100% increase in print run does not equal a 50% reduction in issue price...

Brice
01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
, but it certainly should.

thegreattim
01-27-2011, 12:24 PM
I brought this "sales tactic" up on an earlier SubPress discussion and the general consensus then was that an increased print run does not does not realistically change the value of the book. I still contend, as the posters above do, that there should be a direct collation between the size of the increase and the reduction in price. It really pisses me off when they do this.

Brice
01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
I agree. Supply and demand and all that should mean that if the available copies are increased then the value is decreased accordingly. At least that's how it seems to me.

biomieg
01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
I don't hold this against the author(s), by the way. I don't think I've ever 'met' one who thinks like a collector, they just write stories and sell them.

Randall Flagg
01-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Some Robert McCammon items.

FYI, all but two or three of the books are signed.

Dark Harvest:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/IMG_22131.JPG

Kinnel:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/IMG_2215.JPG

Assorted US publishers:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/IMG_2216.JPG

Somehow I obtained an Usher's Passing w/O a DJ. Paperback is a 1st printing:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/IMG_2217.JPG

e_taylor
01-27-2011, 05:39 PM
The Swan Song trade, limited and lettered editions from Dark Harvest are all stunning productions.

I really hope this one isn't redone by Subterranean Pres.

thegreattim
01-27-2011, 07:48 PM
I didn't know Swan Song had a previous S/L! Another thing to add to my wishlist. :D I'd be very surprised if Subterranean redid it. I think if they intended to, it would have been a book mentioned in their "year of McCammon newsletter". I think that this is also why they called (and priced) the 1000 copy edition of Baal as a limited and not a "signed trade", as others have suggested, being that a trade was already once produced. In the case of Mr. Slaughter and The Five, SubPress was the first publisher.

ETA: Those are great looking books, Jerome. Thanks for posting the pics.

CurtSeattle
01-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Great stuff. One of my favorite authors.

e_taylor
01-27-2011, 08:25 PM
I didn't know Swan Song had a previous S/L! Another thing to add to my wishlist. :D I'd be very surprised if Subterranean redid it. I think if they intended to, it would have been a book mentioned in their "year of McCammon newsletter". I think that this is also why they called (and priced) the 1000 copy edition of Baal as a limited and not a "signed trade", as others have suggested, being that a trade was already once produced. In the case of Mr. Slaughter and The Five, SubPress was the first publisher.

ETA: Those are great looking books, Jerome. Thanks for posting the pics.

Taken from my collection thread, which has been woefully neglected for quite a while.

"Swan Song" by Robert McCammon.

Letter MM of 52 lettered copies in wooden slipcase.

Signed by both McCammon and artist Charles Lang.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2cmug4y.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/k9vrl3.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/vg3ek7.jpg

biomieg
01-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Dark Harvest also issued a trade hardcover of SWAN SONG with the same cover art as the S/L, but without limitation page and slipcase. I don't know what the print run of that one was.

thegreattim
01-28-2011, 12:55 AM
Nice pics, e_taylor! Is that an after market slip, or was it issued with the book? One of these days I will get around to exploring everyone's collection thread fully.

goathunter
01-28-2011, 04:08 AM
The wooden slipcase is what was issued with the lettered editions of both Swan Song and They Thirst (and both lettered editions were issued without dustjackets). From the Bibliography page of RobertMcCammon.com (http://www.robertmccammon.com/bib-books.html):

Swan Song
Winner of the 1987 Bram Stoker Award
Nominated for the 1988 World Fantasy Award

1. New York: Pocket Books, June 1987. Paperback.
2. London: Sphere Books, 1988. Paperback.
3. Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, June 1989. Deluxe hardcover edition limited to 672 signed, numbered, and slipcased copies (including 52 leather-bound copies lettered A--ZZ).
4. Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, June 1989. Trade hardcover edition.

I don't remember ever hearing how many trade editions were printed, but they're fairly scarce and pricey now....

Hunter

goathunter
01-28-2011, 04:40 AM
The Swan Song trade, limited and lettered editions from Dark Harvest are all stunning productions.

Over the years, I've received email from hundreds, if not thousands, of people who hope they do. The Dark Harvest limited was issues more than 21 years ago, and the book has found many new fans since then. At this time, Simon & Schuster own the print rights to Swan Song....

Regarding the cost of the Baal lettered, increasing the number of copies from 26 to 52 probably isn't going to change the production cost in any way, so why should the price be lowered? (Yes, I get that there will now be 52 copies of this rare book instead of only 26. While that could affect the resale value later, it probably doesn't affect the production cost now.)

Hunter

biomieg
01-28-2011, 05:04 AM
True! But collectors (who are the target audience for any type of limited edition, really) are not only paying lots of dollars for the quality of the production (high production costs) but also for the quantity (small print run). Resale value has nothing to do with it because collectors don't buy books with the sole purpose of reselling. Collectors are prepared to pay a certain price for the lettered edition because it's well-crafted but also because there are only a certain number of copies issued. When you preorder a book and decide to hand over x-hundred bucks for a book that (so you are assured) only 26 people will have in their collection, it's quite dissappointing when you subsequently hear that the size of the print run will be increased. Sure, the production quality remains the same but the limitation (which is an important reason for people to dish out extra cash for a lettered edition) is altered. It seems logical to me that this should be reflected in the issue price.

Of course, I'm not really serious about decreasing the price with 50% but I think there should be some kind of compensation. Especially since the size of the print run was increased as a sort of afterthought. Otherwise people could have decided not to take out their wallet in the first place, when weighing the issue price against a limitation of 52 instead of 26 copies.

Sometimes when publishers increase the print run they say it's because they 'want to give more people/collectors the opportunity to buy the numbered or lettered or whatever edition' but I think that's nonsense. If you want a lot of people to buy a book, then don't publish a limited edition. It's called limited for a reason! :D

Brice
01-28-2011, 05:29 AM
Exactly! If nothing else it shows poor planning on behalf of the publisher. It just seems like a shifty practice to me.

And if we're gonna' make the jump from 26 to 52 copies why shouldn't a publisher do a lettered with 78 copies or104 or....? Any number of lettered copies? There are only 26 letters.

goathunter
01-28-2011, 05:40 AM
I understand what you're saying (and knew that ahead of time, of course), but such considerations have never been a factor in my decision to buy a particular book or not.

I've never really understood that aspect of collecting. Yeah, it's neat to have one of only X copies of something, but if I buy a particular edition of a book, I buy it because it's what I want. I don't buy it with an eye toward how much it might be worth down the road. The book is only worth whatever it's worth to me and whatever I can get someone to pay me for it later. I learned many years ago that that $50 signed book may never sell at all, much less sell for $50 or more.

I buy the books I buy because they make me happy and I like to look at them. I have no doubt that when I die, the vast majority of my collection won't bring any money at all---certainly not as much as I've spent collecting it all over the years. But I'm OK with that, because it makes me happy now.

And I've heard from several people who were at work during the three-hour window from the announcement to the sell-out of the 26 copies and are elated that they were able to purchase the leatherbound edition. I can't speak for Subterranean, but I would assume that's the reason the print-run was changed.

Hunter

biomieg
01-28-2011, 05:51 AM
I don't buy it with an eye toward how much it might be worth down the road.

And I'm not saying you should. That's one of the things I wanted to point out with my lengthy post ;) it's not about an increase in print run affecting the resale value. Most of us couldn't care less about what a book sells for in the future. Like you say, we buy a book because we want that particular edition.

In this case it's all about paying for a certain expectation/promise and then having 'the man' stick it to you.

Randall Flagg
01-28-2011, 06:25 AM
The wooden slipcase is what was issued with the lettered editions of both Swan Song and They Thirst (and both lettered editions were issued without dustjackets).

For many years Dark Harvest put their Lettered Editions in wooden cases. I have some by Ray Garton, Fritz Leiber, and John Farris.

e_taylor
01-28-2011, 07:13 AM

Over the years, I've received email from hundreds, if not thousands, of people who hope they do. The Dark Harvest limited was issues more than 21 years ago, and the book has found many new fans since then. At this time, Simon & Schuster own the print rights to Swan Song....

I'm not doubting that there is a market for the book in hardcover, it would just suck to have a competing limited edition.

I'd rather see someone buy the rights to reproduce the trade edition of the Dark Harvest edition. That way new fans are happy, and long time collectors who made the investment 21 years ago are happy.

None of this is really relevant though, as a few complaints here or there aren't going to impact the author's decision to re-release the books or not.

thegreattim
01-28-2011, 07:28 AM
True! But collectors (who are the target audience for any type of limited edition, really) are not only paying lots of dollars for the quality of the production (high production costs) but also for the quantity (small print run). Resale value has nothing to do with it because collectors don't buy books with the sole purpose of reselling. Collectors are prepared to pay a certain price for the lettered edition because it's well-crafted but also because there are only a certain number of copies issued. When you preorder a book and decide to hand over x-hundred bucks for a book that (so you are assured) only 26 people will have in their collection, it's quite dissappointing when you subsequently hear that the size of the print run will be increased. Sure, the production quality remains the same but the limitation (which is an important reason for people to dish out extra cash for a lettered edition) is altered. It seems logical to me that this should be reflected in the issue price.

Of course, I'm not really serious about decreasing the price with 50% but I think there should be some kind of compensation. Especially since the size of the print run was increased as a sort of afterthought. Otherwise people could have decided not to take out their wallet in the first place, when weighing the issue price against a limitation of 52 instead of 26 copies.

Sometimes when publishers increase the print run they say it's because they 'want to give more people/collectors the opportunity to buy the numbered or lettered or whatever edition' but I think that's nonsense. If you want a lot of people to buy a book, then don't publish a limited edition. It's called limited for a reason! :D

Thank you, Michaėl. That is exactly the point I was trying to make, though I was being much less concise that you were.

Whether it is a lettered going from 26 to 52, or a standard S/L going from 200 to 400 -- when I buy the book, a rather significant part of the purchase for me is being one of X/XXX people to own said book. When that print run is increased, while I suffered no material damage, I still feel that my special place in the collecting world has been devalued some. I just wish limited edition publishers would stick with the advertised print run. When an increase is made, I have a hard time believing that their bottom line isn't the key factor in the decision. Not that they just want to "share the book" with more collectors.

thegreattim
01-28-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm not doubting that there is a market for the book in hardcover, it would just suck to have a competing limited edition.

I'd rather see someone buy the rights to reproduce the trade edition of the Dark Harvest edition. That way new fans are happy, and long time collectors who made the investment 21 years ago are happy.

:thumbsup:

Brice
01-28-2011, 07:39 AM
I agree completely.

Also even if I never intend to sell (I've never sold a book) someone likely is going to eventually. If and when that happens and there is no or less demand for them it just might have something to do with the people who made the decision to money grab by increasing the production under the specious claim of sharing the sligtly less limited item.

biomieg
01-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Again, this is in no way an attack on the author, simply on observation/opinion of a book collector on publisher etiquette (or the lack thereof).

frik
01-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about this.
To me - the bottem line is the product, not how many of a particular edition have been published.
If I like what I see, I go for it. The fact that I'm only one out of 26 or 52 or 10.000 doesn't really concern me.

Three more McCammon hardcovers. Two from the UK, one US edition:
Blue World is a collection of short stories - I LOVED it.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8831/robertrmccammon001.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/691/robertrmccammon002.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5798/robertrmccammon003.jpg

biomieg
01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
The wooden slipcase is what was issued with the lettered editions of both Swan Song and They Thirst (and both lettered editions were issued without dustjackets).

Hunter

There happens to be one for sale here (BIN £150), with an added dust jacket. Nice! I hadn't seen this one before! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Robert-McCammon-They-Thirst-Ltd-Sig-Let-Wooden-SC-/200549623172?pt=Fiction&hash=item2eb1b06584

http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!B-qzWB!CGk~$(KGrHqZ,!jYEzKEH,tV)BM9VuSCZLw~~0_12.JPG

thegreattim
01-28-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this.
To me - the bottem line is the product, not how many of a particular edition have been published.
If I like what I see, I go for it. The fact that I'm only one out of 26 or 52 or 10.000 doesn't really concern me.

Everyone has their own reasons for collecting and I'm not arguing that. But surely the price, retail wise even, reflects the limitation in some regards. We all know that the traycase and the leather doesn't cost SubPress an extra $175 dollars for the McCammon book in question. And it really didn't cost them $705 dollars more for the Fifty-to-One title being discussed in another thread. As much as I don't like to admit it, price is a function of scarcity, not production values. I know many (most?) of us like to think we have have a "unique" collection. The SK proof market is a prime example of that. The price sure isn't driven by production values there...

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. It's just my final two cents, and I again want to reiterate that I'm not disparaging anyone else's opinion either.

P.S. I like your books!

carlosdetweiller
01-29-2011, 05:32 AM
I don't even think of it in terms of resale value, production costs, publisher profits or whatever. From this collector's perspective, I saw an offer for a limited edition (of 26 lettered copies) of a book by an author I really like and collect. I ordered a copy immediately and was pleasantly surprised to see that the edition had sold out in a matter of hours. Not only had I secured one of the 26 copies but I had also secured first refusal rights to subsequent lettered editions. I felt like I had "won" another event in this book collecting madness. My obsession and way too many hours on the internet had paid off once again. When I saw that the edition had subsequently doubled in size my first thought was "Well, shit!"

I have no real problem with the publisher's decision to do this. I really like Sub Press and buy a lot of Sub Press books. It is their decision to make. All I can say is that from a collector's viewpoint the doubling of the edition size made my "win" seem a lot less enjoyable. It took a lot of fun out it for me.

jhanic
01-29-2011, 05:48 AM
I had always assumed that the contract with the author regarding the quantities of signed books, numbered and lettered, spelled such numbers out. If the contract specified 26 lettered editions, then that was the number. If the publisher wants to publish an additional number, should the contract allow this?

John

carlosdetweiller
01-29-2011, 05:56 AM
I had always assumed that the contract with the author regarding the quantities of signed books, numbered and lettered, spelled such numbers out. If the contract specified 26 lettered editions, then that was the number. If the publisher wants to publish an additional number, should the contract allow this?

John

I'm not a lawyer but an agreement between two parties can very easily be amended if both parties agree to the change. In this case the change would likely result in more book sales and, therefore, increased profits for both the author and publisher. I suspect that an agreement, in this case, was very easily reached.

Sub Press: Hey, McCammon! You want to sell some more books and make some more money?

McCammon: Sure, I guess.

Sub Press: Gonna double the size of the lettered edition. You on board?

McCammon: Sure, I guess.

Sub Press: OK. It's done. Let's do lunch.

jhanic
01-29-2011, 06:04 AM
:)

John

Randall Flagg
01-29-2011, 06:07 AM
One of the few days lately I wasn't on the computer all day and I missed it. I was pleased when the lettered was doubled. I do however understand the feelings expressed here.

biomieg
01-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Some nice Michael Crichton items offered by this eBay seller:

*edit* the seller is open to reasonable offers and ending the auctions early, by the way.

LOST WORLD proof (not ARC) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Lost-World-Michael-Crichton-arc-proof-1st-rare-/260728777626?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item3cb4a56b9a)

http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!CCZ2SiQCGk~$(KGrHqYOKpkE0UrYTb2-BNLBigHJeg~~_12.JPG

LOST WORLD manuscript proof (http://cgi.ebay.com/Lost-World-Michael-Crichton-Super-RARE-Manuscript-/260728777620?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item3cb4a56b94)

http://i.ebayimg.com/09/!CCZ3UJQB2k~$(KGrHqEOKooE0fiLSu(lBNLBpnek8Q~~_12.J PG

AIRFRAME manuscript proof (http://cgi.ebay.com/Airframe-Michael-Crichton-large-manuscript-proof-arc-/260728777629?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item3cb4a56b9d)

http://i.ebayimg.com/08/!CCZ23vQEWk~$(KGrHqQOKpUE0Usc4FkrBNLBmeCYWg~~_12.J PG

George at C-Springs
01-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Regarding the doubling of print runs for lettered, CD did the same thing with The Passage. I got in on the original 26, and it was only a few months later when I went back to check on status that I saw it had been doubled to 52. I wasn't irate, but I was pretty damn irked; not so much as an e-mail from them explaining that the printing was going to be doubled, and hey, since you spent $500 based on a run of 26 do you still want it for a run of 52? I wrote, and of course the answer was basically "based on overwhelming response, we've doubled it to give more collectors an opportunity to own this edition". Well shit, that's great for those second 26 collectors but not so much for the first 26. Price was the same for the second batch as well, and no offer of a price cut or any other compensation to the first 26.

I didn't like the way it all went down, and let them know ... doesn't seem like good business practice to me, and I'm sure if I were the legal eagle type I'd have a good case for false advertising or sales fraud or something like that. Then again, if I was one of the second 26 I'm sure I'd be happy as a clam and be showering them with praise.

But what exactly did CD think was going to happen? How often to you really see a lettered print run of only 26? Either way, I gave my input to them, for what it was worth, and stressed to Mindy that I'd damn well better be getting a single letter; she assured me that I was. I haven't checked, but they likely did the same before and will likely do it again. It all wouldn't have been so bad if I'd just received a courtesy e-mail explaining what they were doing, giving me the option of bailing or staying with it (I'm sure the stand-by list was lengthy enough that they didn't have to worry about not selling the book), and maybe offering an incentive (price cut, free shipping, whatever) due to the changes. It's all about good customer relations, and this wasn't it.

Do I sound pissed? Sorry, backlash from missing out on Biomieg's Plume Proof Gunslinger today by minutes; I hate being 2nd. :shoot:

Cloysterpete
01-30-2011, 06:56 AM
It would sure annoy me heaps, Im not one who gives any thought to how scarce an item is, I just care about how good the story is, how well the books made and the overall price.

I would just be mad as hell because whatever way you look at it it's still a dirty underhand trick to pull to all the people who signed up when there was only 26 of them to suddenly find the publisher has gone and slyly (yes it is slyly when you don't even get an email to tell you) doubled the limitation, then when they come out with nonsense about how it's because of overwhelming demand (they know beforehand what the demand would be like) that would just make my blood boil, how dumb do they think collectors are?, if it wasn't about making more money then all the first batch of customers would get a nice partial refund seeing as the publisher isn't honouring their original deal.

jhanic
01-30-2011, 09:29 AM
backlash from missing out on Biomieg's Plume Proof Gunslinger today by minutes; I hate being 2nd. :shoot:

Darn! That's one I've been looking for for a long time. Darn!

John

thegreattim
01-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Newest (and smallest recently) S/L by Dan Simmons is announced by SubPress. I'm tempted but will pass. I feel the price is a bit much for a book that appears to have no internal art or slipcase. So go get 'em, Simmons fans!

http://subterraneanpress.com/index.php/2011/01/30/dan-simmons-announcing-the-signed-limited-edition-of-flashback/

Disclaimer: The following continue to beats a dead horse:
This particular price model also supports my disagreement with the limitation size / price conflict. SP is clearly pricing the book higher due to it's tiny print run, but they don't price books lower when other print runs are "unexpectedly" increased.

jhanic
01-30-2011, 10:22 AM
That does seem too pricey. I'll pass, although I'm a bit of a Dan Simmons fan.

John

Randall Flagg
01-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Very tempting.

carlosdetweiller
01-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Do I sound pissed? Sorry, backlash from missing out on Biomieg's Plume Proof Gunslinger today by minutes; I hate being 2nd. :shoot:

Did he have the proof with the orange wrappers? All I see listed (now sold) is the one with the variant pictorial cover.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-30-2011, 12:05 PM
It was the variant pictorial cover

biomieg
01-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Yes, it's the variant pictorial cover. If I had the orange GUNSLINGER proof you guys would have been the first to know!

Brice
01-30-2011, 01:37 PM
...and I'm just guessing, but you probably wouldn't be rushing to sell that particular proof. :)

jhanic
01-30-2011, 01:56 PM
I feel better now.

John

George at C-Springs
01-30-2011, 02:05 PM
I need both the ARC Variant and the Orange, so I'm still peeved ... either way I hate missing out on something by minutes! If only I hadn't been spending quality Sunday with my son and was glued to the computer like a good Calvin instead :lol:

swintek
01-30-2011, 05:29 PM
That does seem too pricey. I'll pass, although I'm a bit of a Dan Simmons fan.

John

As a Looong time Simmons collector, I am passing on this as well. And I really hope more people do. I love Subpress, but the totally unjustified higher prices 'just because' trend is really irking me. I made a decision awhile ago to vote my displeasure with these hiked up prices- with my wallet- even if it means missing out. Unless you are going to make a truly unique, special edition- count me out at $125.00. I'll be very happy with a signed first trade, which can be had at under $30.00 upon release- just like I have with the last three Simmons books. All very nice trade editions.

Ron

jhanic
01-30-2011, 05:43 PM
I've done exactly the same thing--I got signed trade copies for the retail price of the last three books, The Terror, Drood and Black Hills. I just can't justify spending too much money on Simmons' signed limiteds, no matter how much I enjoy his writing.

John

thegreattim
01-30-2011, 05:55 PM
The sucky part is that "voting with your wallet" doesn't have any effect when the editions sell out pre-publication. The previous SubPress Simmons S/L sold for $80 with a 500 copy print run. With the exception of Black Hills, they are all sold out. I have a hard time believing that with a new SF title, which he has not done for a while, a $125 book with a print run half the size will not sell out very quickly. I'd be surprised if it lasts a week after it is announced via the newsletter.

Not that I disagree with you in principal.

swintek
01-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Oh, you're absolutely right- they do indeed sell out and my boycott is meaningless. However, I can't help but wonder if the fact that the last few titles consistently trade at less than retail value on the secondary market might be some kind of indication of a Simmons Subpress Apathy setting in! Ahh, probably not, but the books just don't seem to have any.... inherent interest in being an $80.00 book, anything beyond being "the limited edition", if that makes any sense.

In any case, I'm sticking to my guns- until they announce the next way overpriced Gaiman book, where the bastards know they have me by the shorts and I will probably drop whatever I have to. :arg:

Ron

thegreattim
01-31-2011, 03:40 AM
In any case, I'm sticking to my guns- until they announce the next way overpriced Gaiman book, where the bastards know they have me by the shorts and I will probably drop whatever I have to. :arg:

Ron

Well, at least the production values on the Gaiman's come *closer* to matching their price range...

swintek
01-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Very true, and good point.

Ben Mears
01-31-2011, 09:09 AM
I contacted SubPress a while ago and recommended they do Summer of Night limted edition. Response was open minded but I doubt anything will come of it.

swintek
01-31-2011, 01:09 PM
That's an interesting (and unbelievably obvious to me in hindsight!), choice. That's certainly one of my favorites, and I'd love to see a deluxe edition of it. But something more along the lines of The Wolf's Hour in price and format.

Ron

P.S. As an aside, I recently recommended to Bill that he should JUMP on the limited rights to the upcoming Kim Newman ANNO DRACULA reissues, which are set to be published in paperback in the UK. The 3 existing books (Bonus material including new stories, novellas, etc. are being included in each book) leading up to the LOOOONG awaited final book JOHNNY ALUCARD. I thought, especially considering Subpress' fantasy crossover roster that these would be no brainers and a PERFECT fit for Subpress. Bill said he didn't see it being right for him. I'm sure he knows what works and what doesn't, but are there any other ANNO DRACULA fans out there who want limited editions? I think the books are wonderful, myself.

Ben Mears
01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
That's an interesting (and unbelievably obvious to me in hindsight!), choice. That's certainly one of my favorites, and I'd love to see a deluxe edition of it. But something more along the lines of The Wolf's Hour in price and format.

Ron

P.S. As an aside, I recently recommended to Bill that he should JUMP on the limited rights to the upcoming Kim Newman ANNO DRACULA reissues, which are set to be published in paperback in the UK. The 3 existing books (Bonus material including new stories, novellas, etc. are being included in each book) leading up to the LOOOONG awaited final book JOHNNY ALUCARD. I thought, especially considering Subpress' fantasy crossover roster that these would be no brainers and a PERFECT fit for Subpress. Bill said he didn't see it being right for him. I'm sure he knows what works and what doesn't, but are there any other ANNO DRACULA fans out there who want limited editions? I think the books are wonderful, myself.

Ron,

SON is one of my top 5 books and I would love to see it get the limited treatment. I had had also suggested it to Jerad at Centipede but he doesn't care for the story. Since I'm 0 for 2 with limited propsals to SK maybe I should try Mr. Simmons!

swintek
01-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Ben,

If Summer of Night, and Salem's Lot are among your Top 5- well, you've got great taste, as they are indeed in mine as well. Would you mind sharing the other 3? If you're anything like me, I have a "Top 5" of about 10 different revolving books, depending on when you ask me, but Salem's Lot is ALWAYS there. As is Dracula.

Ron

thegreattim
01-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Ben,

If Summer of Night, and Salem's Lot are among your Top 5- well, you've got great taste, as they are indeed in mine as well. Would you mind sharing the other 3? If you're anything like me, I have a "Top 5" of about 10 different revolving books, depending on when you ask me, but Salem's Lot is ALWAYS there. As is Dracula.

Ron

Ooh, great idea for a thread topic! Top five (revolving or otherwise - I know exactly what you mean) favorite books of all time, not strictly King.

Mine:

Orwell's 1984
King's IT
Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo (the full 1000+ pg unabridged version)
Ted Chiang's The Stories of Your Life: And Others
Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray
Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind
Chaim Potok's My Name is Asher Lev
McCarthy's The Road
Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum

There are others I'm sure, these were just off the top of my head. But any given day most of my all-time "Top 5" come from this list. I've never read Summer of Night, but with that high of recommendations from at least two people, I'll add it to my list for sure.

biomieg
02-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Robert McCammon's THE FIVE - proof, starting bid $49.95 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Robert-McCammon-FIVE-SubPress-ARC-Proof-2011-/160539685439?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item2560e9323f)

frik
02-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Ben,

Ron

What about McCammon's They Thirst??
I LOVE that book - maybe more so than Salem's Lot. Dark Harvest came with a limited, years ago.

sk

swintek
02-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Ben,

Ron

Ooh, great idea for a thread topic! Top five (revolving or otherwise - I know exactly what you mean) favorite books of all time, not strictly King.

Mine:

Orwell's 1984
King's IT
Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo (the full 1000+ pg unabridged version)
Ted Chiang's The Stories of Your Life: And Others
Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray
Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind
Chaim Potok's My Name is Asher Lev
McCarthy's The Road
Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum

There are others I'm sure, these were just off the top of my head. But any given day most of my all-time "Top 5" come from this list. I've never read Summer of Night, but with that high of recommendations from at least two people, I'll add it to my list for sure.

Great list! Very eclectic mix. I've only read about half of those, with Foucault's Pendulum being the one I've been most curious about for a long while. Someday, I hope.

In addition to a good number of our beloved SK titles, other (genre, at least) books that I'll always reread are 2 Simmons- SUMMER OF NIGHT, and SONG OF KALI (Brilliant), and 2 Tim Powers' ANUBIS GATES, and ON STRANGER TIDES (Fun!). Added Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS to the rotation right after the first reading.

Ron

swintek
02-01-2011, 01:13 PM
If this works- first time attempting to post an image here- than you should be seeing a scan of the new Easton Press catalog, and what looks like a frigging AWESOME new signed, slipcased, limited of FAHRENHEIT 451! Yeah, it's not cheap at just under $200, but this is the kind of book that I don't mind paying $200 for. It looks uniquely well designed and executed.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/swintek9/Books/Bradbury2.jpg

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Wow, that book looks HOT!

thegreattim
02-01-2011, 02:34 PM
If this works- first time attempting to post an image here- than you should be seeing a scan of the new Easton Press catalog, and what looks like a frigging AWESOME new signed, slipcased, limited of FAHRENHEIT 451! Yeah, it's not cheap at just under $200, but this is the kind of book that I don't mind paying $200 for. It looks uniquely well designed and executed.

Call me "sold". :drool: I would think that this one would retain it's value, no? I don't think I'm going to try and find it cheaper on the secondary market later. A signed copy of this book has loooong been on my Bradbury want list.

Swintek, congrats. You've just sold me on my very first Easton.

Scoogs
02-01-2011, 03:06 PM

I just ordered that one myself. This might be the first S/L I've ordered in 2 or 3 years and it looks a lot nicer than the earlier signed versions of 451 that Easton has published.

There are so many S/L versions of Fahrenheit 451 out there that they almost qualify as a hobby of their own. I think this will be my 3rd version.

Scoogs
02-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Are there better secondary market choices for Easton Press books than ebay? Easton still has the set that I'm looking for, but I'd like to check prices elsewhere first.

ELazansky
02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I just can't get into Easton Press books. I don't know what it is about them, but they just don't scream out "buy me". They all seem kind of the same. Leather, gilt edges, etc. Although, the 451 book does look really cool. Anyone here collect Easton Press?

swintek
02-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I just can't get into Easton Press books. I don't know what it is about them, but they just don't scream out "buy me". They all seem kind of the same. Leather, gilt edges, etc. Although, the 451 book does look really cool. Anyone here collect Easton Press?

Eric, I know what you mean, and I sort of feel the same way. Sort of. I've been lightly collecting Easton for a long time, and yep, sometimes they all start to look the same, and thus- boring. Whenever I've subscribed to an Easton series', I'd end up sending half of the books back. Some worked and some didn't, and I can't really explain it other than feel. Sometimes it's the right sort of stamping motif and illustrations. Some just have a better interior design. Occasionally, you get something that just has the right vibe about it. The Dead Zone works for me that way. I just love that edition, but couldn't tell you exactly why. This Fahrenheit 451 looks amazing to me, however. I really love the design on this. They've been experimenting more and more with these special editions, and I hope they do more!

Ron

Patrick
02-01-2011, 10:19 PM

I just ordered that one myself. This might be the first S/L I've ordered in 2 or 3 years and it looks a lot nicer than the earlier signed versions of 451 that Easton has published.

There are so many S/L versions of Fahrenheit 451 out there that they almost qualify as a hobby of their own. I think this will be my 3rd version.

I saw this in their catalog and online as well. It looks beautiful and I am tempted to buy it. However, what is holding me back is exactly your last sentiment. There seem to be quite a number of different Signed/Limited editions of this book.

I like Easton Press books. I have THE DEAD ZONE. Also I collect the Vonnegut signed/somewhat-limited editions, albeit very, very slowly. I have only five out of about twenty.

Aside from those, I also own a few (less than five) other Easton Press books picked up on eBay where they are often cheaper than the publisher prices. I have no intention of joining any of the Easton series book clubs.

biomieg
02-02-2011, 01:12 AM
There is one on eBay already: http://cgi.ebay.com/Fahrenheit-451-Ray-Bradbury-Easton-Press-Signed-New-/160539509675?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item2560e683ab. At $212 right now with two days to go so if it's still available from Easton Press I would say: 'Get it from the publisher'. The listing has some great photos of the book. I'm almost tempted to get it myself but I haven't even read the story (I haven't read any Bradbury at all).

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Try reading Farenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man. I recall them as being excellent. Later Bradbury does not work for me though.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Gauntlet Newsletter...

Two Copies Remaining of THE PASSAGE

We have received our copies of the Cemetery Dance Limited Edition of THE PASSAGE by Justin Cronin. Eight of our ten copies went to customers who preordered (two canceled). We have two remaining copies available on a first-come, first-ordered basis (U.S. customers only as we can’t replace lost or damaged copies).

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-02-2011, 05:33 AM
I like the Easton Press books, used to belong to both the Masterpieces of and the First Edition Science Fiction 'clubs'. I dropped out but now I need all the 1st edition Resnicks and Bovas they did, which I will pick up someday.

willie3
02-02-2011, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Swintek. :drool:
I also pulled the trigger on this one.
Beautiful presentation, and the payment plan fit my immediate needs.
Between deals with Ralph and Jerad, book budget was more than tapped out.

Karl

Ben Mears
02-02-2011, 05:58 AM
Ben,

Ron

Ron,

'Salem's Lot & Second Coming are 1A & 1B and that will never change! The rest of my top 5 are:
The Dead Zone-SK
Summer Of Night-Dan Simmons
Semi-Tough-Dan Jenkins
Rookie- Jerry Jenkins

A quick note on SON. I left Dan Simmons a message on his forum about possibly adding the Banished Dreams material into the upcoming re-issue of Summer Of Night. He responded back and indicated that he liked the idea but it is too late for the Thomas Dunne re-issue. I forwarded the response to Bill at Sub Press encouraging him to touch base with Dan about doing a fully restored limited edition of SON. Since they have done several Simmons limiteds I fgured it has a chance. We'll see.

swintek
02-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Ben,

Ron

Ron,

'Salem's Lot & Second Coming are 1A & 1B and that will never change! The rest of my top 5 are:
The Dead Zone-SK
Semi-Tough-Dan Jenkins
Rookie- Jerry Jenkins

A quick note on SON. I left Dan Simmons a message on his forum about possibly adding the Banished Dreams material into the upcoming re-issue of Summer Of Night. He responded back and indicated that he liked the idea but it is too late for the Thomas Dunne re-issue. I forwarded the response to Bill at Sub Press encouraging him to touch base with Dan about doing a fully restored limited edition of SON. Since they have done several Simmons limiteds I fgured it has a chance. We'll see.

Ben,

Well, I'm glad someone's on this. It's an important book, and if we get a nice Subpress limited out of it- I'll indeed thank you. Good idea about including Banished Dreams! Yeah, that has to be in there! I'd almost forgotten about that little chapbook that was trading for $300 at one point many years ago. I'd love to see a larger trim size, fully illustrated SON. Hope it happens!

Ron

Stockerlone
02-02-2011, 09:50 AM
This “new“ Easton Press Fahrenheit 451 is realy nice. I have some sig lim Books from Ray Bradbury but this
new Fahrenheit 451 is ...:thumbsup::drool::rock:

ELazansky
02-02-2011, 09:51 AM
You guys have almost talking me into buying one, even though I've never read it and I don't collect Bradbury...

swintek
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
One thing to consider is based on the pictures in the auction, and comparing them with the legendary LEC edition pictures, I'm wondering just how much this new edition is based on the old LEC, or how much is designed fresh (purely from an interior perspective). A lot of the Easton books are essentially reprints (and rebinds) of the old LEC and the trade version of the LEC stuff, which name is escaping me right now,oh- HERITAGE! There it is! Anyway, we really need Bob over here to scope this out for us, because he is pretty well versed in LEC/Heritage, if I remember right. The point being that this "New" Fahrenheit might be "new" in binding only, and that is a consideration for some.

Ron

Ben Mears
02-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Ben,

Ron

Ron,

The Dead Zone-SK
Semi-Tough-Dan Jenkins
Rookie- Jerry Jenkins

Ben,

Well, I'm glad someone's on this. It's an important book, and if we get a nice Subpress limited out of it- I'll indeed thank you. Good idea about including Banished Dreams! Yeah, that has to be in there! I'd almost forgotten about that little chapbook that was trading for $300 at one point many years ago. I'd love to see a larger trim size, fully illustrated SON. Hope it happens!

Ron

Ron,

Let SubPress know you support the idea. Can't hurt to build a little consensus to spur them on.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-02-2011, 12:41 PM
A few of my Easton Press signed first editions:

THE TRANQUILITY WARS by Gentry Lee
HOT SKY AT MIDNIGHT by Robert Silverberg
HEAVY WEATHER by Bruce Sterling

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/EP1.jpg?t=1296679102

PRELUDE TO FOUNDATION by Isaac Asimov
GET A LIFE by William Shatner
GALAPAGOS by Kurt Vonnegut

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/EP2.jpg?t=1296679213

Roland of Gilead 33
02-07-2011, 01:19 AM
i have some autographed books as well. One kids book if anyone here read as a kid or got one of their kids this series. well one of the series called

"The Plant that ate dirty Socks' a great little series for kids. i think the one that's got her autograph is called "Escape of the plant that ate dirty socks'

i forget how many there actually are so bear with me. or even who wrote them at the moment. anyways, "meatloaf" wrote a bio in the late 90's. & i met him & he signed it. 1st edition. never been read. hard back book.

anyways, i also have a book that the great "John Waters" Wrote i met him in (1995) & he signed it. i never read that one either. cause i didn't want to tear or ruin these books. i think that's my only autographed books that i can think of at the moment.

Stockerlone
02-07-2011, 02:15 AM
I don“t collect Poppy Z. Brite books but this USED STORIES Lettered SS leather chapbook was NICE.

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=156903520&imageType=image

WeDealInLead
02-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I really like Tim Lebbon. If anyone has anything by him that they don't need, drop me a line. S/Ls only though.

daveblog
02-10-2011, 09:04 AM
I also ordered the new Easton press Fahrenheit 451. It looks to be a really nice edition and I have been wanting to add a signed copy of that book to my other signed Bradbury books. I have about 60 other easton press signed books and look forward to adding this one to my collection. Now if I coud only find a buyer for my Easton Press signed Dave Barry book that I got stuck with.

Rahfa
02-10-2011, 09:32 AM
I also ordered the new Easton press Fahrenheit 451. It looks to be a really nice edition and I have been wanting to add a signed copy of that book to my other signed Bradbury books. I have about 60 other easton press signed books and look forward to adding this one to my collection. Now if I coud only find a buyer for my Easton Press signed Dave Barry book that I got stuck with.

I've thought about ordering the 451 s/l, but I dunno...I was never a big fan of the book itself.

I have about 200 signed Easton editions! It's such a crap shoot, of which will be worth something and which will be like Dave Barry...the reality is Barry will for something on Ebay, but you know you're going to lose something on the same. I sold a copy of a few weak Easton signed editions for $59 recently (including Barry I think)...but sold others for real money.

Like others have said, they're neat for awhile, but they do all look the same and some of the authors aren't all that interesting.

The Library Policeman
02-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Looks great. I've got one on the way too.

Did you get your Centipede copy of The Dark, Bob? I got mine a few days ago. I'm thrilled with it. Lovely looking book.

carlosdetweiller
02-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Looks great. I've got one on the way too.

Did you get your Centipede copy of The Dark, Bob? I got mine a few days ago. I'm thrilled with it. Lovely looking book.

Yes and it really is a nice looking book. I hope to read it soon.

Randall Flagg
02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Sub Press just mentioned:

We were recently contacted by Dagmara Matuszak, who offered us copies of the Signed Limited Edition of Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, published by Hill House a number of years ago. We bought out his entire stock, and are happy to offer copies to our customers at some incredible prices. (The cheapest copy of the book we could find on the Net was $300. Our copies start at less than half of that!)

In addition to the book and slipcase, some of the copies we've acquired come with the elusive notebook published to accompany the novel proper. To make things more attractive to collectors, Datsuka has agreed to remarque (add a small sketch to) ten copies of the book.

At these prices, we don't expect copies to last long, so please head over to the book's page, and get your order in. Copies are en route to the SubPress warehouse, and will ship as soon as they land.

Signed Limited Edition: $125

Signed Limited Edition with Notebook: $200

Signed Limited Edition with Notebook and Original Sketch: $300

Link: (http://www.subterraneanpress.com/)

ELazansky
02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Dreamhaven Books also has copies of the book/notebook combo for $200 is anyone couldn't get one from SubPress. Dreamhaven has numbered copies, not PC ones

thegreattim
02-10-2011, 01:42 PM

I've thought about ordering the 451 s/l, but I dunno...I was never a big fan of the book itself.

I have about 200 signed Easton editions! It's such a crap shoot, of which will be worth something and which will be like Dave Barry...the reality is Barry will for something on Ebay, but you know you're going to lose something on the same. I sold a copy of a few weak Easton signed editions for $59 recently (including Barry I think)...but sold others for real money.

Like others have said, they're neat for awhile, but they do all look the same and some of the authors aren't all that interesting.

Anyone have an S/L Easton of China Miéville's The Scar? I'm looking to buy that one.

biomieg
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I have a very nice trade PB of that book and I would be more than willing to sign it for you. Including shipping costs from The Netherlands your credit card won't notice the difference from the true S/L, I promise :evil:

swintek
02-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Dreamhaven Books also has copies of the book/notebook combo for $200 is anyone couldn't get one from SubPress. Dreamhaven has numbered copies, not PC ones

In addition to being a really cool novel that doesn't get it's due, I consider this particular edition one of the finest books- in terms of design & craftsmanship- that I've ever seen, and certainly one of the top books in my collection. It's astonishingly lovely, inside and out.

Ron

willie3
02-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Ben,

If Summer of Night, and Salem's Lot are among your Top 5- well, you've got great taste, as they are indeed in mine as well. ...

Ron

Ron,

Ben,

Ron

Well, based on everone's lists and recommendations, I purchased a signed 1st/1st of Summer of Night with the Banished Dreams chap.
$75 total including shipping. (Thinking that was a good deal)
Moved this one to next-up in the reading queue.

Also received the Easton Press Fahrenheit 451 this week.
What a great looking book. My first Easton also, very happy with the purchase.

Thanks to all for the info.

Karl

ELazansky
02-10-2011, 06:58 PM

In addition to being a really cool novel that doesn't get it's due, I consider this particular edition one of the finest books- in terms of design & craftsmanship- that I've ever seen, and certainly one of the top books in my collection. It's astonishingly lovely, inside and out.

Ron

I completely agree. The Hill House books were absolutely beautiful. And as for the story itself, I find that people either enjoy Gaiman a lot or they don't get it at all. I am glad I fall into the first group.

swintek
02-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Well, based on everone's lists and recommendations, I purchased a signed 1st/1st of Summer of Night with the Banished Dreams chap.

Karl

Congrats, Karl! The thing about SON is it has a few scenes in there that are just flat out terrifying. I've read it twice- last time about 6-7 years ago, but those scenes have always stayed with me. REALLY good book. A lot of people think it's a little too close to King's IT for their tastes- and it is, in a way, but I love IT, and I love SON as well.

Still waiting on my Fahrenheit! Can't wait to see this thing.

Ron

swintek
02-11-2011, 08:47 AM
I completely agree. The Hill House books were absolutely beautiful. And as for the story itself, I find that people either enjoy Gaiman a lot or they don't get it at all. I am glad I fall into the first group.

Yep, I know a lot of people got burned by HH, and I'm sensitive to that, but damn if they weren't my favorite publisher- when they actually sent books to people who paid for them. I like all of them, but I gotta say that ANANSI BOYS- their last book- is by far the best. It's just a masterpiece of design, printing, craftsmanship. Guess they spent so much on it, it turned out to be the final nail in their coffin. Total bummer, because as much as I love Subpress, their Gaiman's just haven't measured up. But, there's also a reason that Bill is still in business after all these years- and HH went down in flames- a brilliant failure. The difference is that I will be taking ANANSI BOYS and AMERICAN GODS off the shelf and marveling at their beauty over and over until I'm old and grey, and THE GRAVEYARD BOOK....meh, not so much. I have optimistic hope for Smoke & Mirrors, however. We'll see.

And I know what you mean about Gaiman. All I can say is that although he and King couldn't be more different writers, over the last 10 years- Gaiman has been to me what King was to me 20 years ago- the guy I would drop everything for and read cover to cover. Sadly, for whatever reason, King doesn't do that for me anymore. I keep hoping...

Ron

Ben Mears
02-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Karl

After your finish SON/BD follow it up with Simmons' A Winter Haunting which is a sequel of sorts and a good read.

vbull
02-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Got a great book today.

Reggie Oliver's "The Complete Symphonies of Adolph Hitler"
If you like short stories, you should really have a look at his collections. They are pretty scarce though. But Centipede made a collection last year called Dramas From the Depth.
This one complete my RO collections so far.

Received earlier this week Chimera 1 by Centipede and I'm a bit disapointed by the overall production. Maybe that's why they only made less than 60 instead of 500.

Jerome

Stockerlone
02-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I don“t collect Jack Vance, i try to become ALL lim/sig Edition Phantasia Books.

Jack Vance Morreion Edition Phantasia limited 247/250 golden clothbound oversice hartcover.

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=157093410&imageType=image

thegreattim
02-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Willie, did you ever get a shipping notice or confirmation email? I have received neither, nor a charge to my bank account (I ordered the day it appeared in this thread) and when I emailed customer service they were all "It'll charge when we ship it."

Just curious as this is too my first Easton order, and I'd like my book sooner rather than later.

thegreattim
02-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Yep, I know a lot of people got burned by HH, and I'm sensitive to that, but damn if they weren't my favorite publisher- when they actually sent books to people who paid for them. I like all of them, but I gotta say that ANANSI BOYS- their last book- is by far the best. It's just a masterpiece of design, printing, craftsmanship. Guess they spent so much on it, it turned out to be the final nail in their coffin. Total bummer, because as much as I love Subpress, their Gaiman's just haven't measured up. But, there's also a reason that Bill is still in business after all these years- and HH went down in flames- a brilliant failure. The difference is that I will be taking ANANSI BOYS and AMERICAN GODS off the shelf and marveling at their beauty over and over until I'm old and grey, and THE GRAVEYARD BOOK....meh, not so much. I have optimistic hope for Smoke & Mirrors, however. We'll see.
Ron

I wouldn't hold your breath! The very least Hill House limited is still not comparable to the very best SubPress limited. But like you said, there's a reason Bill does so well. Books come out more or less on time and they are generally more affordable. Not to mention the volume quantity over an average year.

thegreattim
02-12-2011, 03:34 PM
And as for the story itself, I find that people either enjoy Gaiman a lot or they don't get it at all. I am glad I fall into the first group.

I find that even within the Gaiman fan base, there are splits. I've talked to others who (like myself) who loves Neil's work, but dislikes the American God novels/stories. I was really tempted on the HH Anansi, but in the end turned it down, because I was sooo... "meh" on AG that I never even read AB.

willie3
02-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Willie, did you ever get a shipping notice or confirmation email? I have received neither, nor a charge to my bank account (I ordered the day it appeared in this thread) and when I emailed customer service they were all "It'll charge when we ship it."

Just curious as this is too my first Easton order, and I'd like my book sooner rather than later.

No shipping notice, just showed up at the house.
They did charge my account for the first payment & shipping.
I asked for "express' shipping, which turned out to be UPS Second Day.

Karl

willie3
02-12-2011, 04:26 PM
I was also a Hill House Gaiman Series member.
And I too, thought the production values were superb.
Though SubPress is not Hill House, I have been happy, for the most part, with the price value from them.
I was burned on the Bradbury stuff I paid for.
Some of my early posts here show how upset and angry I was when they folded up their tent and skipped town (figuratively) with the money.
Even though I had to pay for it again, SubPress and PS did a great job finishing Hill House's edition of the Martain Chronicals.
Not what HH would have done, but a good job none the less. (And they published it)

Karl

(And I loved American Gods. Wish Neil would get off his ass and write another "adult" novel !!)

thegreattim
02-12-2011, 04:30 PM
A new adult Gaiman would be awesome!

thegreattim
02-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Karl

Thanks Karl. I just emailed customer service again to check on the situation. After more than a week, I'd expect some kind of a communication. Even if it is only a "Thank you for your order" email.

carlosdetweiller
02-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Karl

Thanks Karl. I just emailed customer service again to check on the situation. After more than a week, I'd expect some kind of a communication. Even if it is only a "Thank you for your order" email.

I, too, ordered on the first day it was mentioned on this site. I got an e-mail confirmation but have had no further communication from them and my card has not been charged. I have no idea as to the inner workings of Easton Press but I am thinking that they don't bind up all 700 copies at once, maybe 100 or so to see how it sells. I think they might have sold what they had on hand and are having another batch bound up. We will probably be in the next group and when they are ready we will see the charge on our cards and the books arrive later. At least that is what I suspect is going on. Let us know if you hear from customer service.

thegreattim
02-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Will do. It's nice that you at least got the initial confirmation. The lack of that, more than anything, is why I wrote them again to see what's going on.

willie3
02-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Karl

I, too, ordered on the first day it was mentioned on this site. I got an e-mail confirmation but have had no further communication from them and my card has not been charged. I have no idea as to the inner workings of Easton Press but I am thinking that they don't bind up all 700 copies at once, maybe 100 or so to see how it sells. I think they might have sold what they had on hand and are having another batch bound up. We will probably be in the next group and when they are ready we will see the charge on our cards and the books arrive later. At least that is what I suspect is going on. Let us know if you hear from customer service.

I ordered and was charged on 2/2.
Shipped on 2/3, received on 2/7.
I received #205.

Karl

swintek
02-13-2011, 12:03 AM
I ordered Jan 31 by phone, but chose to have Easton bill me. This is the method I have used for nearly 20 years. They send the book(s) with the first invoice, and I make the first payment then and am billed (via snail mail) every month until balance is paid. I just received an invoice only today- no book- saying that once my first payment was received, then they would ship out my book. Never had that happen with Easton, so perhaps Bob is on to something. Could they be stalling?!

Ron

Cutter
02-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Though SubPress is not Hill House, I have been happy, for the most part, with the price value from them.
Some of my early posts here show how upset and angry I was when they folded up their tent and skipped town (figuratively) with the money.
Even though I had to pay for it again, SubPress and PS did a great job finishing Hill House's edition of the Martain Chronicals.
Not what HH would have done, but a good job none the less. (And they published it)

Karl

(And I loved American Gods. Wish Neil would get off his ass and write another "adult" novel !!)

Sorry I gotta disagree with the edition PS and Sub Press did with The Martian Chronicles. The paper boards are the same paper and design that PS uses in it's Stanza line of poetry books. They sell for $18 I think. Also the black cloth is horrible - within seconds of bringing the book out of its packaging it was all smudged and looked dirty. That type of black cloth is horrible to use in a book. Now the interior design is nice, though. Anyway my point is Hill House would have done a better job by far and I felt PS and Sub Press went with some pretty cheap materials for such an expensive book.

Hill House was the best, the American Gods Lettered Edition is one of my most prized possessions and will never be sold. And sadly I have a promotional page for the Lettered Edition of Anansi Boys. It was going to use the same wooden case that was used for American Gods, but just all wood this time, and the notebooks was a hardcover. From this picture there was a case and hardcover created, so there is at least one copy out there, but I am sure it is at Peter's house. Also of note I have a Lettered Anansi Boys metal plate, it was a plate similar to the one for American Gods that goes on the outside of the wooden case. I was sent this stuff saying the lettered Edition was almost ready! (yea, right) Damn, this Lettered was so close to being made, I just cry thinking about it. :(

Randall Flagg
02-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Inquire to see if Dolso can duplicate the case.

surly
02-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Haven't seen anybody mention this one yet, but I know McCammon is popular amongst the group:

Now available for pre-orders: THE HUNTER FROM THE WOODS, the collection of stories featuring Michael Gallatin, the lycanthropic hero from THE WOLF'S HOUR! The book will be published in November 2011 by Subterranean Press.
McCammon, The Hunter from the Woods (preorder): Subterranean
http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=McCammon05&Category_Code=PRE&Product_Count=24

thegreattim
02-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Karl

Today from Easton Press Customer Service:

Hi Tim,
Your ship date is 2/17/11 and you will see the charge soon after that.
Thank you for your patience!
Regards,
Maryann
Customer Service

No explanation as to the difference in shipping/order processing times, nor an explanation of lack of communication... but at least it should be here soon.

Cutter
02-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I ordered one from Easton too and when I was on the phone the person told me it would ship on Thursday. I thought that meant last Thursday but it must mean this Thursday when the orders go out.

@RF, good idea but I only have a sheet of paper and a metal label for the Lettered, I only have the Limited Edition of Anansi Boys.

EDIT: I lied, I just received mine today, so it was sent last Thursday.

lophophoras
02-14-2011, 03:25 PM
:thumbsup:

This one is on my list to order soon.

ELazansky
02-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Can you guys post some pics of the Fahrenheit 451? I'm still on the fence about this one, so maybe some pics will make me change my mind.

Thanks.

Rahfa
02-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Karl

Today from Easton Press Customer Service:

Hi Tim,
Your ship date is 2/17/11 and you will see the charge soon after that.
Thank you for your patience!
Regards,
Maryann
Customer Service

No explanation as to the difference in shipping/order processing times, nor an explanation of lack of communication... but at least it should be here soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about Easton...

Remember, they aren't a book publisher in the usual sense...they're basically a Franklin Mint collectible company with books as just one of many items, so their "customer service" is a mammoth phone bank, not somebody who knows too much about individual inventory items.

I'd like to see some pix too...I'm on the fence about buying this one now!

Scoogs
02-14-2011, 09:17 PM

How many Bradbury books did Hill House actually publish? I have The Cat's Pajamas and The Wish chapbook. Wasn't there originally a 3rd full size book?

I'm glad I never actually got around to ordering The Martian Chronicles.

Patrick
02-14-2011, 11:14 PM
I am perfectly happy with my Sub Press books and would not hesitate to order from them when comfortable with the product-to-price equation.

Ben Staad
02-15-2011, 05:28 AM
Well I'm not going to try to quote everyone so I will just so thanks for all the great feedback. I was a little scared when I asked the question as I thought maybe it would turn into a bashing for subpress. Thank you everyone for keeping the responses positive and helpful!

After hearing all the positive responses I really....really....really...can't wait to get my first order from them...which I believe will not be until the summer. :arg:

Randall Flagg
02-15-2011, 11:01 AM
This forum is primarily dedicated to collecting related to Stephen King. To my knowledge the only author thread we have is the Joe Hill thread. I'm not certain we are ready to have dedicated threads to any and every author in the Collecting market.
We have the "Other Authors You Collect" thread. I am open to listening to members opinions, but this thread will likely be merged today.

carlosdetweiller
02-15-2011, 11:23 AM
I think I agree with this. The Joe Hill thread should also be merged with the "Other authors...." thread as well.

carlosdetweiller
02-15-2011, 11:25 AM
By the way, Hunter, are you, by any chance, from the woods?

ICry4Oy
02-15-2011, 12:09 PM
I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time - but i'd move the thread over to Dutch Hill. McCammon deserves his own thread and I see several threads there for other authors and not just their one book. Like I said, I could be wrong.....I still get lost in this place :(

jhanic
02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
I'd say merge it with the "Other Authors" thread. The thread in Dutch Hill is more concerned with the stories themselves and not the books, if that makes any sense.

John

ICry4Oy
02-15-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm from Kentucky

Ever had Paducah Pink?

ICry4Oy
02-15-2011, 04:57 PM
HAHA! Paducah Pink is ara-ma-juana-ya :cool:

carlosdetweiller
02-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Got my copy of FAHRENHEIT 451 today from Easton Press. Still not showing up on my credit card but I'm sure Easton hasn't forgotten about me.

Patrick
02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Got my copy of FAHRENHEIT 451 today from Easton Press. Still not showing up on my credit card but I'm sure Easton hasn't forgotten about me.
Maybe they are billing you?

Bob, any chance you could post some photos of the book? I'd like to see something besides the Easton catalog pic. Thanks.

carlosdetweiller
02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Maybe they are billing you?

Bob, any chance you could post some photos of the book? I'd like to see something besides the Easton catalog pic. Thanks.

I'll try to get some photos up on this thread in a few minutes. I submitted my cc info and asked to pay in full rather than installments. Like I said, I'm sure they will get around to getting their money from me soon enough.

Patrick
02-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Awesome. Thanks, Bob.

carlosdetweiller
02-15-2011, 05:52 PM
It's a nice book and I think fans of either Bradbury, this particular book or both would like it. Full leather front and back. Gold gilt page edges. Signed, of course, by Bradbury and numbered (700 copies total). About 9 or 10 decent enough illustrations in color and black and white (about half and half) by two different artists.

Book in the slipcase.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/fahrenheit1.jpg

Spine.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/fahrenheit2.jpg

Front board.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/fahrenheit3.jpg

Back board.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/fahrenheit4.jpg

jhanic
02-15-2011, 05:58 PM
A beautiful book!

John

Randall Flagg
02-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Marvelous. It almost looks "hot to the touch".

Patrick
02-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow. Thanks, Bob. I might have to get me one of those...

swintek
02-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Gotta say that looks terrific! Hope they actually send me a copy now. Wonder if they are indeed making them in batches. I figure that they do that with their "regular" books, but thought they would certainly print an entire limited edition in one run. Hmmm...

carlosdetweiller
02-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Question for the mods: Since the McCammon thread has been rolled over into the "Other authors....." thread, what are the thoughts on keeping the "Joe Hill, Author" thread standing separately? Is it because he is related to Stephen King? Other than that he is really no different from the hundreds (thousands?) of other published writers out there. Should that thread be merged into this one too?

jhanic
02-16-2011, 09:21 AM
I've always wondered that myself. Of course, I'm not a big fan of Hill's, so it doesn't really make that much difference to me one way or another.

John

Stockerlone
02-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Damn, i need my “cheating from GD“ money back. Then i can order this beautiful book.

biomieg
02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
I like Joe Hill's books quite a bit but that doesn't mean he needs his own thread. The thing is, other authors are mostly discussed on this forum when they have a new book coming out. When there's no new book a dedicated author's thread gets little attention and will slowly drift back to the last page of The Corner. Having all 'other authors' together in a single thread keeps things nice & tidy and ensures a prominent place on the front page (IMO).

Randall Flagg
02-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Question for the mods: Since the McCammon thread has been rolled over into the "Other authors....." thread, what are the thoughts on keeping the "Joe Hill, Author" thread standing separately? Is it because he is related to Stephen King? Other than that he is really no different from the hundreds (thousands?) of other published writers out there. Should that thread be merged into this one too?

It is a legitimate question.
By itself the Joe Hill thread has almost twice the posts, pages and views as the entire "Other Authors You Collect" thread. It is ~7th most popular out of 133 threads in Calvin's Corner-that is pretty significant. We'll discuss it in the staff area-and I appreciate and encourage members comments and suggestions.

Patrick
02-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Joe's thread was started separately because he is King's progeny and because his work is in the same genre. Therefore he seems to have a lot of fans in the SK community. Based on those factors combined his fairly consistent output (novels, comic books, related merchandise) and the fact that the messageboard on his own website shut down, his single thread has remained here.

I have always assumed (correctly or not) that if related authors Tabitha King or Owen King garnered the level of attention from our membership that Joe does, then they would have their own dedicated threads as well based on their family member status.

As many know, I'm a big fan of Joe Hill and therefore have a personal slant toward keeping his collecting thread open so the discussions are easier to locate. However I am also open to discussion about whether we should merge it, or whether any other authors are of sufficient interest to warrant their own threads from a collectibility interest perspective.

(I haven't checked in with Jerome on this at all, these are just my personal views.)

EDIT: I had this posting box open for a long while due to work distractions and didn't see that Jerome had posted.

carlosdetweiller
02-16-2011, 11:44 AM

It is a legitimate question.
By itself the Joe Hill thread has almost twice the posts, pages and views as the entire "Other Authors You Collect" thread. It is ~7th most popular out of 133 threads in Calvin's Corner-that is pretty significant. We'll discuss it in the staff area-and I appreciate and encourage members comments and suggestions.

If you left the McCammon thread up it might have garnered some strong support, gained momentum and had lots of posts too. Just sayin'.

mae
02-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I like lavish reprints and new translation of classics, so it was with great excitement that I found out about Penguin's new three-volume hardcover complete Arabian Nights set. Then I saw it was published in 2008 and is already out of print. Moreover, I was astonished to see it selling for $2,000 used. Supposedly the original price was around $200. There are cheap paperbacks, but after seeing what the hardcover set looks like no one would want those.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zf5V1LgfL.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TChLzjupL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0140911669/

:cry:

Randall Flagg
02-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Very interesting thoughts.
We could do a sub-forum devoted to "Collecting" books from authors other than SK. There could be a self imposed limit of say 100 threads. The oldest thread would be archived, andupon request considered for revival.
All great thoughts so far.

swintek
02-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Joe's thread was started separately because he is King's progeny and because his work is in the same genre. Therefore he seems to have a lot of fans in the SK community. Based on those factors combined his fairly consistent output (novels, comic books, related merchandise) and the fact that the messageboard on his own website shut down, his single thread has remained here.

I have always assumed (correctly or not) that if related authors Tabitha King or Owen King garnered the level of attention from our membership that Joe does, then they would have their own dedicated threads as well based on their family member status.

As many know, I'm a big fan of Joe Hill and therefore have a personal slant toward keeping his collecting thread open so the discussions are easier to locate. However I am also open to discussion about whether we should merge it, or whether any other authors are of sufficient interest to warrant their own threads from a collectibility interest perspective.

(I haven't checked in with Jerome on this at all, these are just my personal views.)

EDIT: I had this posting box open for a long while due to work distractions and didn't see that Jerome had posted.

Uhhh, pretty much "Ditto". I'd like to see it left alone.

jhanic
02-16-2011, 12:06 PM
I like the sub-forum idea.

John

Randall Flagg
02-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Just an idea.

carlosdetweiller
02-16-2011, 01:05 PM
We could do a sub-forum devoted to "Collecting" books from authors other than SK. There could be a self imposed limit of say 100 threads. The oldest thread would be archived, andupon request considered for revival.

I'm wondering if the "popularity" of the Joe Hill thread is because there many individual users posting or if there are just a few core people who are putting up most of the posts? I have no idea.

It would also seem that there is a more appropriate location for hard core Hill fans to discuss Hill's work. http://joehillfiction.com/

Just some more thoughts.

Tito_Villa
02-16-2011, 01:08 PM
I have to say that i really like the individual Joe Hill thread, especially after the Joe Hill forum was discontinued!

Ricky
02-16-2011, 02:28 PM
I think that the idea of a sub-forum for other author collecting would be a fantastic addition.

Rahfa
02-16-2011, 02:39 PM
I dunno...there's just that one Joe Hill thread here, same as there's on McCammon thread.

I don't think they bother anybody, and if there's no action, they'll fade away on their own...but since I post in neither one I guess it doesn't matter to me!

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
If you do a sub-forum for other authors I'll post a lot of pictures of Philip Jose Farmer and Jack Vance books, until you're sick of looking at them! They're my two favorite authors of all time and space in this universe and any other universes that may or may not exist. Anyway, you get the idea.

I also collect about 8 or 10 other authors whose books I'd love to post pictures of, if you can stand it, that is.

Randall Flagg
02-16-2011, 03:28 PM

I'm wondering if the "popularity" of the Joe Hill thread is because there many individual users posting or if there are just a few core people who are putting up most of the posts? I have no idea.
It would be difficult to go through the 2,000 posts and ascertain the number of posts by each member, then compare them to to any other thread.

It would also seem that there is a more appropriate location for hard core Hill fans to discuss Hill's work. http://joehillfiction.com/

Just some more thoughts.
I don't think sending Joe Hill fans to http://joehillfiction.com/ is the best solution. No more than sending Stephen King book collecting fans away from TheDarkTower.org to StephenKing.com would be best for our site. There was debate (not by me, but by the original owners) as to whether or not to even have a Collector's forum.
The old site REALLY fought it.
Currently Calvin's Corner is the most visited area of the site.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Currently Calvin's Corner is the most visited area of the site.

This does not surprise me. Many members never venture outside the "corner".

I do not have a problem with threads of other authors on this site, (I don't read the posts), buy why not post in that "other authors" own site.

Randall Flagg
02-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Joe Hill doesn't have a discussion bulletin board any more-most authors don't have a "live" (unmoderated) board. I think you can follow JH via Twitter, and even have your Twitter message show up @ JH fiction, but no offense to JH-the posts by fans are pretty boring-and of course limited to short responses due to the 140 character count limit in a message.

Clacke
02-17-2011, 01:41 AM
I think the other authors sub-forum is a great idea. We all congregate at Calvin's Corner for the same reason - we love collecting books. And there's a vast world of books out there beyond the King. I love reading about other people's interests in different authors, and seeing their collections in photos.

biomieg
02-17-2011, 01:53 AM
After giving it some thought, I think a separate subforum is the way to go - no more need for debating over which authors do or don't deserve a dedicated thread in The Corner, more room for collection pics and interesting discussions, the option to ignore such a 'Go Then. There Are Other Authors than King' subforum ;) and most importantly: keeping the community together (i.e. less need for people to visit other forums).

mikeC
02-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Mike, check the 'Other Authors You Collect' thread. If you go to the last page of the thread and work your way back I'm pretty sure you'll find a couple of pics of the lettered edition not too far back. I have the new trade edition but haven't taken a pic yet.

I tried that a week or two ago but never found it. I see someone posted new pics though. thanks. i'll try again.

ICry4Oy
02-18-2011, 08:35 AM
I like the subforum idea. I'm really more of a reader than a collector - even though I keep all the books I read :}

But I had never heard of Joe Hill or Robert McCammon until very recently and since that time, I read Swan Song and absolutely fell in love with the man...and found a signed copy of Wolf's Hour that should arrive in the next day or two. I plan on getting hold of all the Joe Hill books now too.

With the subforum, clueless people like me could find out about these other amazing authors.......without having to trudge thru the 47/48+ pages of this thread. :evil:

Brice
02-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I like lavish reprints and new translation of classics, so it was with great excitement that I found out about Penguin's new three-volume hardcover complete Arabian Nights set. Then I saw it was published in 2008 and is already out of print. Moreover, I was astonished to see it selling for $2,000 used. Supposedly the original price was around $200. There are cheap paperbacks, but after seeing what the hardcover set looks like no one would want those.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zf5V1LgfL.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TChLzjupL.jpg

Very nice, but I like my set better. I'll have to remember to take and post some pics.

Brice
02-18-2011, 12:30 PM
...and personally I'd be in favor of a subforum for other authors.

Patrick
02-19-2011, 10:53 AM
I like this concept of a sub-forum for other authors. We have that sort of thing here at TDT.org from a story perspective, but not from a book collecting perspective.

Although it would take some time, it shouldn't be too difficult to do a search through this thread and break out discussions of specific authors such as McCammon to start a thread for those who warrant one.

thegreattim
02-19-2011, 02:43 PM
I also vote for the sub forum. While I collect a lot of King, the majority of my money is spent on other authors. I'd love to see everyone's collections of other author books in separate place where one could ignore it if he/she is uninterested, or ignore threads of specific authors, etc...

Randall Flagg
02-19-2011, 02:49 PM
A Non binding request-suggestions for the sub-forum name?

biomieg
02-19-2011, 02:57 PM
"Go then. There are other authors than King".

I know, I know... not really a nice and concise name for a forum but that was the first thought that popped in my head when the subject of a new subforum came up.

thegreattim
02-19-2011, 02:57 PM
I really like Michaėl's "Go then. There are other authors than King", but I suppose that might just be a bit long.

Edit: He beat me to it.

biomieg
02-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Or maybe just use the thread name and call it "Other Authors You Collect"? A bit on the safe and boring side maybe, but...

Patrick
02-19-2011, 08:11 PM
If we do the subforum, it is important we distinguish that the focus is on the collector's perspective, as we have another forum that focuses on other authors' writing.

biomieg
02-21-2011, 01:13 AM
What is going to happen to this thread now that the new subforum is in place? I imagine that it is still useful for news and discussion about authors that don't need a dedicated thread, but maybe it should be moved to the new subforum as well? Just my opinion, of course. And will the Joe Hill thread be moved, too?

Patrick
02-21-2011, 01:17 AM
I agree, it makes sense to move both this thread and the Joe Hill thread to the new subforum.

Ben Mears
02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Ben,

Ron

Ron,

The Dead Zone-SK
Semi-Tough-Dan Jenkins
Rookie- Jerry Jenkins

Ben,

Ron

Ron,

Through communications on the Simmons forum about the upcoming re-issue of Summer Of Night it was learned that Mr.Simmons' childhood home (his house and hometown were models for Elm Haven in the story) is going to be razed during construction for a new high school. To commemorate it looks like Dan will be doing a SON book signing in August on the front porch of his old house followed by a tour of the town landmarks from the SON. One thing I really like about the Simmons forum is that he frequently participates in the conversations; that is how the booksigning/tour idea came about. Should be an interesting event.

BM

Ari_Racing
02-21-2011, 10:50 AM
What an awesome idea!

Are you attending, Ben?

Sadly the forum has been offline for a while now. Or does it has another address now (I'm talking about the one present in his website).

goathunter
02-21-2011, 10:52 AM
The forum is there at http://forum.dansimmons.com/ubbthreads/ . I got an error on the first visit, but a refresh loaded it.

Hunter

Ari_Racing
02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Cool. Thanks! :)

Ben Mears
02-21-2011, 11:21 AM
What an awesome idea!

Are you attending, Ben?

Sadly the forum has been offline for a while now. Or does it has another address now (I'm talking about the one present in his website).

Ari,

I plan to attend although a date hasn't been finalized. Likely August 13.

BM

swintek
02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Ben,

Thanks for the info! I had given up on the Simmons forum awhile ago as I thought it went dormant- until I just tried Hunter's refresh suggestion (thanks, Hunter!), and just read that section with great interest. Wow. What an event that would be!

Ron

Ari_Racing
02-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd be nice to have Dan's own topic about his S/L editions. :)

Ben Mears
02-23-2011, 04:56 AM
Ben,

Thanks for the info! I had given up on the Simmons forum awhile ago as I thought it went dormant- until I just tried Hunter's refresh suggestion (thanks, Hunter!), and just read that section with great interest. Wow. What an event that would be!

Ron

If it happens it should be a good time. I found the exchanges at the Simmons forum between Dan and and an individual named Kevin (it turns out he is one of Dan's Elm Haven childhood friends that the Kevin Grumbacher character is based upon) to be interesting. The possibility of a reunion with some or all of the guys featured in the story along with the book signing could make it a very unique event.

mae
02-23-2011, 06:59 AM

Very nice, but I like my set better. I'll have to remember to take and post some pics.

Which set is that? I'd love to see it. This is supposedly a very good translation, brand new.

WeDealInLead
02-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Not sure if there are William Ollie fans on here (I am) but The lord of the mountain is at 20% from Dark Regions. Use this code at checkout: LOTM20

I snagged a lettered for $80 and they also have a free trade paperback promotion for first time buyers.

Brice
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Which set is that? I'd love to see it. This is supposedly a very good translation, brand new.

Mine is a 3 volume edition translated by Burton. I'll try to get pics soon.

Brice
03-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Mine is a 3 volume edition translated by Burton. I'll try to get pics soon.

Here it is.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/110302_074323.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/110302_074358.jpg

Tito_Villa
03-02-2011, 03:08 PM
They look great Brice :thumbsup:

Brice
03-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks, my friend! :)They were much more in my budget than the above set (which looks really nice) also. I paid about $8 or $9 for them at a used book store. The only thing is they don't have the slipcases.

Tito_Villa
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Sounds like a bargain to me!

Clacke
04-02-2011, 02:29 PM
I meant to post this up a while ago and forgot! Tree Of Codes by Jonathan Safran Foer, published by Visual Editions.
What Foer did was to take his favourite book, Street Of Crocodiles by Bruno Schulz, remove large portions of the original text to create an original story of his own with the remaining words. Visual Edition though, instead of just printing the new story, printed the original novel and die-cut out the unwanted words: that's 128 pages, each page a completely different die-cut.
It was first published in November 2010 and already on it's third print run. The publishers were completely taken by surprise by it's success and the first print run wasn't very large. 1st/1st editions from November 2010 which originally cost $40 are already going for anything from $215 - $300.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/727/medium/290320111042.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/727/medium/290320111044.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/727/medium/290320111045.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/727/medium/290320111053.jpg

Tito_Villa
04-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Thats a very interesting idea!

Randall Flagg
04-03-2011, 06:52 AM
Painstaking, but cool.

Patrick
04-09-2011, 09:21 PM
That's crazy cool!

Stockerlone
04-16-2011, 05:00 AM
For a long time i collect the books from the late satiric book author Ephraim Kishon.
He sold more then 43 mill. books, his books get translatet in 37 languages.
I have all his German books, on the pic you can see some German hartcover books, two of them are
signed from Ephraim Kishon, and one is also signed from his late wife Sara.

http://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=159129474&imageType=image

Stockerlone
04-28-2011, 01:19 AM
Mickey Spillane Tomorrow I Die ed by Max Allan Collins.
The Mysterious Press 1984
Nr.186 of 250 numbered copies signed by Spillane slipcased first edition.

I“am a big Spillane fan, specially his Mike Hammer books are amazing...

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=159539625&imageType=image

swintek
04-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Does anyone know why the Tim Powers thread is locked?

Randall Flagg
04-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Does anyone know why the Tim Powers thread is locked?
I don't know how or why, but it is open now.

Tito_Villa
06-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Does anyone else collect James Herbert's books???

Clacke
06-14-2011, 06:25 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Carte_Blanche.JPG

Yes, I like James Bond! And Jeffery Deaver!
From left to right: Promotional leaflet - Jeffery Deaver, On Writing Carte Blanche; Signed UK Trade Edition; Signed Numbered 'Indie' Edition; Signed Numbered Limited Slipcased Edition.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
I used to collect the John Gardner Bonds. All 1st US and UK hardbacks and paperbacks. Missing some of the UK titles, most notably COLDFALL, which I think is a short print run.
Mixed in with my Ian Fleming paperbacks.
I never pursued the other Bond authors, just sort of lost interest I guess, though I'm still a James Bond fan.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/Gardner.jpg?t=1308090502

Clacke
06-15-2011, 04:25 AM
I used to collect the John Gardner Bonds. All 1st US and UK hardbacks and paperbacks. Missing some of the UK titles, most notably COLDFALL, which I think is a short print run.
Mixed in with my Ian Fleming paperbacks.
I never pursued the other Bond authors, just sort of lost interest I guess, though I'm still a James Bond fan.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/Gardner.jpg?t=1308090502

That's a really cool collection of Bond books! Congratulations!

sgc1999
06-15-2011, 05:02 AM
I have a ton of 1st edition signed and limited books and graphic novels from Joseph hillstrom King. I really like his work!

Scoogs
06-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Just picked up an ARC of Colin Meloy's first book, illustrated by his wife, Carson Ellis.
I believe this is the first part of a trilogy aimed at the young adult market.

I like the story telling in his lyrics, so I'm hoping I will be able to say the same about his books.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Wildwood.jpg

Scoogs
06-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Here's another Colin Meloy book I recently picked up. This one was self-published earlier this year and was printed entirely on letterpress. It's a limited edition of 200, with 26 of them being lettered. Only the lettered edition was signed and also included an individual print on one of the stories illustrations.
I have one of each, but since both versions look the same, I'm only showing the regular edition here.

Carson's description of the story:
Colin wrote The Grievous Demise of Whitley Rackham for a Halloween party that our friend Stiv threw long ago. A lot of guests read original ghost stories. Colin’s was a classic, spooky, overwritten (in a nice way), Victorian one. Yes, it has a cursed Turkish amulet.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Grievous01.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Grievous02.jpg

Maybe I'll take a couple of photos of my Bradbury books next and add them to his thread.

Stockerlone
06-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Tina Uebel

Last Exit Volksdorf
Die Wahrheit über Frankie
Ich bin Duke

Before Mrs Uebel started to write books, she was the co-founder of an non-profit book publishing company, she studdys graphic design... (I realy want remarques in my books, but in the q+a part of the bookpresentation, she said, that when she studdys graphic design, she find out that she CAN“T Paint well....:onfire: OK.... no remarque...
All 3 books dated 21.06.11 signed and inscribed at bookpresentation of Last Exit Volksdorf 2.nd Edition.

After a lawsuit the almost the complete first edition of Last Exit Volksdorf get destroyed, now the 2.nd Ed
is available.
Of cause i have the FIRST edition, and Mrs Uebel writes in my book: The bad book, pls tell it nowbody.. :onfire:
In the second book, The truth about Frankie (a book inspired by the story: The spy who stolen my live)
Mrs. Uebel writes in the book: The truths about YOU Frank, here you can read it....
In the third book, I“am Duke she writes: I“am Duke, you are Frank, i“am not realy Duke but Tina Uebel

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=161792090&imageType=image

The Road Virus
06-23-2011, 05:56 AM
I have 1st edition Harry Potter's 1-5 (and only CoS DJ is beat up). Are these worth (or going to be worth) anything? I assume there was a buttload of at least 4 and 5 so they won't be much but just curious (mainly about the first three)

jhanic
06-23-2011, 06:09 AM
If you have a true first edition of the UK Philosopher's Stone (HP 1), it's worth a small fortune. If you have a first of Sorcerer's Stone (the US edition), it's still fairly valuable.

John

The Road Virus
06-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Nice, thanks a lot John. It's a US 1st but it is safe to presume that in 5-10 years it will be worth a sizeable chunk of money? Does that mean all the other ones are not valuable (or just for the time being).

Your post intrigued me more :D

jhanic
06-23-2011, 07:30 AM
I don't really follow the HP editions very much. I found this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harry-Potter-and-Sorcerers-Stone-Rowling-1st-1st-/400221991758?pt=US_Childrens_Books&hash=item5d2f16f34e

This auction included all the US firsts.

John

jhanic
07-12-2011, 10:06 AM
For you George R. R. Martin fans out there:

Hatchards Signed First Editions

Hatchards is pleased to announce that we have signed first edition copies of the following title in stock:

A Dance With Dragons by George R.R.Martin - £25

The fifth volume in the greatest epic work of the modern age

The future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance.

In the east, Daenerys, last scion of House Targaryen, her dragons grown to terrifying maturity, rules as queen of a city built on dust and death, beset by enemies.

Now that her whereabouts are known many are seeking Daenerys and her dragons. Among them the dwarf, Tyrion Lannister, who has escaped King’s Landing with a price on his head, wrongfully condemned to death for the murder of his nephew, King Joffrey. But not before killing his hated father, Lord Tywin.

To the north lies the great Wall of ice and stone – a structure only as strong as those guarding it. Eddard Stark's bastard son Jon Snow has been elected the 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, but he has enemies both in the Watch and beyond the Wall, where the wildling armies are massing for an assault.

On all sides bitter conflicts are reigniting, played out by a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves. The tides of destiny will inevitably lead to the greatest dance of all…

If you would like to place an order for the above title then please telephone 020 7439 9921 and ask to speak to the Hardback Fiction Department or visit the Signed Editions section of our website, www.hatchards.co.uk.

John

namelessnpoor
07-17-2011, 04:33 AM
If anyone is interested in checking out a new Author and maybe helping him out with a purchase, Look up David J Guyton. He is a talented author and extremely talented artist. He does his own artwork and book covers. His books have received decent reviews through amazon, he self published them and is selling them through amazon (hoping to get picked up by a publishing company) , either as an over-sized soft cover for $10.99 or you can get it as a Kindle eBook for 99 cents.
His First book is called "Mighty Hammer Down" the second is "Blood and Bronze" , called the Legend of Reason series, i believe there are a few more books planned for the series.
If you happen to buy the books and like them and would like them signed, you know just in case he becomes a famous collectible author, let me know and i can get that done for you. i work with his sister, and he is a very nice guy, more than willing to sign a book. I bought a couple copiesof each and had them signed, you never know !1 and i didn't mind helping him out with a purchase anyway.

heres a link to his Bio on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/David-J.-Guyton/e/B002BOFRYC/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1310905646&sr=1-1

jhanic
08-05-2011, 07:48 AM
For you Christopher Paolini fans, from Hatchards:

Hatchards Special Editions

Hatchards is pleased to announce that we are now taking advance orders for the following Special Edition:

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Not so very long ago, Eragon - Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider - was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now, the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders. Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chances. The Rider and his dragon have come farther than anyone dared to hope. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaėsia? And if so, at what cost? Featuring spectacular artwork by cult artist John Jude Palencar, this stunning book brings the bestselling Inheritance cycle to a breathtaking conclusion.

THIS SPECIAL EDITION IS SIGNED, SLIPCASED AND LIMITED TO 1,500 COPIES.
THIS TITLE WILL BE AVAILABLE IN NOVEMBER.
£ 40 Hardback 978038561649X

If you would like to place an advance order for the above title then please telephone 020 7439 9921 and ask to speak to the Children's Department or visit the Special Editions section of our website, www.hatchards.co.uk.

John

Rahfa
08-31-2011, 12:11 PM
He only has the one book, so I don't really "collect" him, but Christopher Beuhlman's debut, "Those Across the River" has recieved some early accolades.

Here's my Amazon review, which links to the product page, for those interested in checking it out:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RLDKN08...wasThisHelpful

Ben Staad
08-31-2011, 03:19 PM
He only has the one book, so I don't really "collect" him, but Christopher Beuhlman's debut, "Those Across the River" has recieved some early accolades.

Here's my Amazon review, which links to the product page, for those interested in checking it out:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RLDKN08...wasThisHelpful

I read the reviews on Amazon (I couldn't get your link to work) and the book looks pretty good. Thanks.

herbertwest
10-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Any Jack Ketchum fans?

CONTEST

THE WOMAN giveaway, organised by Jack Ketchum : http://bit.ly/qDgjs1

Patrick
10-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Chuck Palahniuk's new book, DAMNED, has been released. Here's my inscribed copy, received yesterday. He included some extras in the form of postcards, hot pepper seeds, and even Atomic Fire Ball candies. :dance:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/Palahniuk-Damned1.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/Palahniuk-Damned2.jpg

Looking forward to reading it.

Tito_Villa
10-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Wow how did you come by that? Congrats Patrick!

Patrick
10-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks, Tom. I preordered it months ago from a little bookstore where he is known to sign books.

I like that Chuck P. always inscribes (not just flatsigns) and he always comes up with some stamps for each of his books (like that jack-o-lantern in this case) when he signs. The special postcards, seeds and candies were a total surprise bonus.

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-21-2011, 02:22 PM
That's one DAMNED nice looking book. There are so many interesting authors around today. I wish I had the time to read all of them.

Robert Fulman
11-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Are there any Jim Butcher collectors out there? On a whim I picked up a signed/limited edition of Side Jobs from Science Fiction Book Club for $13 (it's actually cheaper than the non-signed edition). If anyone's interested, I could pick up more.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2907/005jl.jpg

neosatus
01-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Thats a very interesting idea!

Yeah. I wonder if the idea was inspired by Crispin Glover's books.

Merlin1958
01-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Chuck Palahniuk's new book, DAMNED, has been released. Here's my inscribed copy, received yesterday. He included some extras in the form of postcards, hot pepper seeds, and even Atomic Fire Ball candies. :dance:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/Palahniuk-Damned1.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/Palahniuk-Damned2.jpg

Looking forward to reading it.

Very, very nice, Patrick!!!! Awesome, in fact!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Patrick
01-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks, Bill. I love how he takes the time to inscribe books, add stamps (like the jack-o-lantern), and throw in some extra stuff sometimes. He really makes it a fun experience. And, hey, how about that penmanship!

neosatus
01-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I don't know where else to put this... but someone just dropped over 40 Cemetery Dance S/Ls on ebay--none by King--but they're all min bid $9.99 so maybe some good deals there. I'm not familiar with most of the authors so I have no clue.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/hkjhill2/m.html?hash=item256be4e356&item=160723952470&pt=US_Fiction_Books&_trksid=p4340.l2562

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Talking about Larry Niven in another thread reminded me that I used to collect his books, until he started writing ones that I found unreadable. Anyway, here's my first Niven shelf of books:

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/NIVEN1.jpg?t=1331077639

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/NIVEN2.jpg?t=1331077901

Lurker
03-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Wow. I've just gotten thro about half this thread and it's absolutely amazing. Great collecting.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-15-2012, 01:16 AM
I also collect Nancy A. Collins. Just recently got a couple more states of TEMPTER. Now I'm just missing the Gauntlet slipcase for the signed edition, which I beleive is still available:

Lettered, signed, ARC, first US paperback (1st true edition), 1st UK paperback (2 copies):

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/tempter.jpg?t=1331802835

Clacke
05-02-2012, 12:28 AM
For anybody who picked up a copy of Goldsboro Books exclusive limited/signed numbered to 250 slipcased edition of The Passage, the link is now live on their website to buy The Twelve.

http://www.goldsborobooks.com/books/the-twelve-passage-2-3231.html

Tito_Villa
05-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the link, i've ordered a copy :)

Stockerlone
05-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the link, i've ordered a copy :)

Looks nice, who is the Illustrator (Not Mr. Tikulin) ?

biomieg
05-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Quick question: is there a website somewhere with pointers to identify true 1st editions of George R.R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' books? Or is it simply a question of checking number lines and DJ prices? Maybe I'm too used to the intricacies of collecting King...

ELazansky
05-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Quick question: is there a website somewhere with pointers to identify true 1st editions of George R.R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' books? Or is it simply a question of checking number lines and DJ prices? Maybe I'm too used to the intricacies of collecting King...

US Editions:
Game of Thrones - silver shiny foil cover (no photo) - $21.95 price, 10-1 numberline
Clash of Kings - gold cover w/red print - $25.95 price, 10-1 numberline
Storm of Swords - blue foil cover w/white print - $26.95 price, 10-1 numberline
Feast for Crows - red cover - $28.00 price, 10-1 numberline
Dance with Dragons - white cover, $35.00 price, 10-1 numberline

Much easier than King :-)

Here are the first three (and most expensive):

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/GRRM.jpg

biomieg
05-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks a LOT!

Patrick
05-16-2012, 09:39 PM
I've just read the first two books in the series and I am loving it!

What are the current price ranges for those 1st/1st editions? Are they hard to find?

I'm guessing the popularity of the HBO series is driving the market price higher.

Thanks.

biomieg
05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
I haven't finished the first book yet but I like it a lot! I'm interested in the 1st/1st market values too.

Patrick
05-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I just checked eBay, and the ones currently listed ain't cheap!

ELazansky
05-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Game of Thrones is really getting harder to find since the HBO series is on. A while ago, you could find a 1/1 in the 200-300 range. Now, it looks like it is pushing 500. Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords can go anywhere from 100-300. Feast for Crows you can usually get for under 50. And Dance with Dragons at face value. They are getting very hard to find. Keep checking eBay and good deals will always pop up.

becca69
05-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Game is the only hardcover I'm missing and I was bidding on one over the weekend (badly listed but in new condition) that went for $62.00. Ebay, my computer, Ka, the Universe or whatever was working against me and there was an error and my bid was not entered. Never had that happen before. That person got an great deal! I was able to get a NF ARC for a pretty low price recently though.

Now I'm in the process of trying to get a S/L set together. I've got books 4 & 5, Sub Press is re-doing 1 & 2, so I'm missing book 3 (it's my DT set all over again :()

BTW - can someone start a collectible thread for GRRM? I think he deserves one dedicated to him. Yes? (I wasn't sure if we need permission for this or can just do it?)

ELazansky
05-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Game is the only hardcover I'm missing and I was bidding on one over the weekend (badly listed but in new condition) that went for $62.00. Ebay, my computer, Ka, the Universe or whatever was working against me and there was an error and my bid was not entered. Never had that happen before. That person got an great deal! I was able to get a NF ARC for a pretty low price recently though.

Now I'm in the process of trying to get a S/L set together. I've got books 4 & 5, Sub Press is re-doing 1 & 2, so I'm missing book 3 (it's my DT set all over again :()

BTW - can someone start a collectible thread for GRRM? I think he deserves one dedicated to him. Yes? (I wasn't sure if we need permission for this or can just do it?)

I have #4 and will get #5 from Camelot once it is issued, along with the future 6, 7, and the new versions of 1 and 2. I'm also looking for book 3, but good luck finding one. Nobody ever has a single edition for sale at westeros.org, and their are none on AbeBooks or eBay. That hole is going to be there for quite some time.

becca69
05-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Also, I have an extra Signed Dance with Dragons that I got while he was on tour last summer (@ Mysterious Galaxy) and two Storm of Swords 1sts that I was going to list on Ebay unless someone here is interested. Just send me a PM.

becca69
05-17-2012, 06:35 AM
I have #4 and will get #5 from Camelot once it is issued, along with the future 6, 7, and the new versions of 1 and 2. I'm also looking for book 3, but good luck finding one. Nobody ever has a single edition for sale at westeros.org, and their are none on AbeBooks or eBay. That hole is going to be there for quite some time.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I don't find Westeros very helpful. I'm at least hoping to find an orphan or maybe get a complete set and then sell what I have. I came close to a full set last week and was litterally outbid under a second by a few dollars. That set was only $3550.

becca69
05-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Also looking for the reprint with the illustrated cover by Stephen Youll that matches books 2-3.

Randall Flagg
05-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Feel free to start and populate the thread.