PDA

View Full Version : Joe Hill, Author

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Room 217 Caretaker
07-16-2009, 02:03 AM
So the 500 hardcover are unsigned right?

Interesting that the paperback would get signed and not the hardcover.

Kenny,

I didn't know they released a paperback of The Saved. Only the signed hardcover and unsigned hardcover.

Have you seen one?

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Ari_Racing
07-16-2009, 05:09 AM
Congratulations, Karen! It looks PERFECT!

Dolan
07-16-2009, 05:14 AM
So the 500 hardcover are unsigned right?

Interesting that the paperback would get signed and not the hardcover.

Kenny,

I didn't know they released a paperback of The Saved. Only the signed hardcover and unsigned hardcover.

Have you seen one?

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Ah - my mistake. The one that I saw showed the signature page and the page before it, which I thought was the cover, was turned. So it appeared to be soft. It was soft - but it wasnt the cover.

Ok so 200 hardcovers signed and 500 unsigned paperbacks.

Remember that list I started to compile, with everyones help, over on DT.net? We should have one of those for Hill's work.

gsvec
07-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Gorgeous tat, Karen!! When do you plan on showing it to Joe? :evil:

Nerak
07-17-2009, 09:31 AM
When I see him again! lol

I posted a pic on the site but probably won't see him until Sept

Nerak
07-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Joe has seen the tat! Hubby saw him this afternoon!

Joe says I am crazy!!! Muah ha ha!!!

I think he's right!!!

gsvec
07-17-2009, 01:32 PM
So that's something new? :wtf: Other than that, did he like it??

Patrick
07-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Karen, you should have him autograph you near it, and then have that signature tattoo'ed into place as well. ;)

gsvec
07-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Ooo!! Great idea, Patrick! :thumbsup:

Brice
07-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I was thinking the same thing. :thumbsup:

Nerak
07-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah, that's just going above and beyond...I really really really liked the key. It does symbolize that I like Locke & Key..but it's really just a really really cool design...and I don't think I could walk around with someone's signature tattoo'd onto me...just strange!

And as to me being crazy, nope, nothing new.

He said that it was good work! Well, he talked to Hubby, not me, but that's what hubby said he said.

Pasiuk57
07-22-2009, 05:50 AM
I'm going to list a signed Lettered Thumbprint by Joe Hill Letter "L" for $650 on Sunday, if anyone is interested. It would be the cheapest on Ebay.....
Mike

Room 217 Caretaker
07-22-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm going to list a signed Lettered Thumbprint by Joe Hill Letter "L" for $650 on Sunday, if anyone is interested. It would be the cheapest on Ebay.....
Mike

Mike,

Make sure Dolan (Kenny) knows your selling a copy. I'm pretty sure he was looking for a copy.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

kacod
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
If memory serves, The Saved chapbook was the annual "Christmas gift" to subscribers of PS publishing's Postscripts mag...if you subscribed to the signed editions you got a signed chapbook; if you subscribed to the regular unsigned mag then you got the unsigned chapbook.

Pasiuk57
07-27-2009, 03:58 AM
In case anyone is interested I listed a Thumbprint lettered edition, a Locke and Key signed Limited and another Joe Hill lettered edition on Ebay last night.
If interested, let me know.
Mike

Cutter
08-03-2009, 01:06 PM
So Subterranean press is now selling Locke & Key for another $250, plus Lettered Editions (which I never knew existed) and another 1,000 trade editions. Whooopieee *sarcasm*

I just don't think $250 a story arc is worth it. I'm probably backing out of this one. I just can't seen myself forking over $250 every time Joe Hill does a new Comic story arc.

The first series, yes, as that was special. But every frickin' series? That's a tough pill to swallow. Now if it were $75 instead of the inflated (because it's Joe Hill) price tag I would be in for sure.

Room 217 Caretaker
08-03-2009, 04:16 PM
So Subterranean press is now selling Locke & Key for another $250, plus Lettered Editions (which I never knew existed) and another 1,000 trade editions. Whooopieee *sarcasm*

I just don't think $250 a story arc is worth it. I'm probably backing out of this one. I just can't seen myself forking over $250 every time Joe Hill does a new Comic story arc.

The first series, yes, as that was special. But every frickin' series? That's a tough pill to swallow. Now if it were $75 instead of the inflated (because it's Joe Hill) price tag I would be in for sure.

I think this is the 2nd book in the series. Head Games

The first is Welcome to Lovecraft. I ordered the lettered Welcome to Lovecraft back in 07 of November. It's not out yet.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Cutter
08-04-2009, 12:25 PM

I think this is the 2nd book in the series. Head Games

The first is Welcome to Lovecraft. I ordered the lettered Welcome to Lovecraft back in 07 of November. It's not out yet.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Yea, my mistake Sub press is selling Head Games now.

SkippyD023
08-04-2009, 01:23 PM
I hope this is the right spot to ask this question... Can anyone tell me what an ARC of Heart Shaped Box is worth? I found one on e-bay for a Buy-It-Now of $150, but have not been able to find any others to compare prices. Thanks.

jhanic
08-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Here's one on eBay for less than $80:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Arc-Uncorrected-Proof-heart-shaped-box-by-Joe-Hill_W0QQitemZ140337716289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiq uarian_Books_UK?hash=item20acc79c41&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

And one on ABE Book Exchange for $137.50:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetails?bi=1316870455

John

Room 217 Caretaker
08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I hope this is the right spot to ask this question... Can anyone tell me what an ARC of Heart Shaped Box is worth? I found one on e-bay for a Buy-It-Now of $150, but have not been able to find any others to compare prices. Thanks.

That's High. My opinion of course.

PM me I have an extra one. Read only once. No issues with it that I can remember. Kept in plastic. I can pull it out and take pictures if interested.

$75 Shipped

Yep, just pulled it out. Very nice condition.

Ralph Mulleins

Randall Flagg
08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Best answers and prices right here!

SkippyD023
08-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the information.

shnnrc01
08-04-2009, 09:16 PM
i got mine off ebay about a year ago for $20. mint.

Patrick
08-04-2009, 10:02 PM
In case anyone is interested I listed a Thumbprint lettered edition, a Locke and Key signed Limited and another Joe Hill lettered edition on Ebay last night.
Mike
Mike, if you look in your Control Panel, you can add an eBay button under your avatar that will link to your eBay auctions. The button becomes part of your site "identification" so it will appear in all your posts.

I agree, Geoff. I'm not paying $250 per story arc either. The second arc is out now, but there are just going to be too many of them for me to justify the all-in price. I wish they simply waited until the end and offered something like an "Absolute Locke & Key" in a signed, limited edition.

e_taylor
08-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Mike
Mike, if you look in your Control Panel, you can add an eBay button under your avatar that will link to your eBay auctions. The button becomes part of your site "identification" so it will appear in all your posts.

I agree, Geoff. I'm not paying $250 per story arc either. The second arc is out now, but there are just going to be too many of them for me to justify the all-in price. I wish they simply waited until the end and offered something like an "Absolute Locke & Key" in a signed, limited edition.

Oh, they will! :P And then six months later, they'll offer a second printing. :pullhair:

Rahfa
08-05-2009, 06:45 AM
No, I don't think $250 for an s/l of six comics is worth it...

As an investment, it's a tough call....if/when you sell it, you'd have to sell all the editions you have, so for two volumes it means you'd be expecting to get, what, $600, from a relatively new collector who wanted to start a Joe Hill collection from scratch? I don't see it. And that's for two volumes - what if when they have three or four?

And at $250, it's not cheap enough to just say "I guess I'll buy it."

I think they've overloaded the market on Joe Hill s/l's anyway....instead of building it a little at a time, they just piled the market with all sorts of them. It's like baseball cards - I don't know how many editions of which books there even are...and I'm not going to start buying them now...

But, that's my opinion...I'm just looking for an excuse to not start buying something new...haha...

Randall Flagg
08-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Way too expensive for my tastes.

Pasiuk57
08-10-2009, 05:01 PM
I just got my signed Joe Hill Locke and Key Key from the Con today. Pretty nice...
I can't believe the Lettered Thumbprint did not sell yet? Another sign of the economic times....

Randall Flagg
08-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I just got my signed Joe Hill Locke and Key Key from the Con today. Pretty nice...
I can't believe the Lettered Thumbprint did not sell yet? Another sign of the economic times....
Yes, and the wrong pricing in light of such.:orely:

Pasiuk57
08-12-2009, 03:17 AM
It's lowered now!! If it does not sell, I will just keep it instead!

Bev Vincent
08-12-2009, 05:20 AM
From joehillfiction.com regarding his next novel.

HORNS will be released in February 2010. William Morrow in America, Orion in the U.K. I don’t believe they’ve announced it, but PS Publishing will also be doing a limited print run with some Vincent Chong artwork. PS will almost certainly offer an edition that is signed and numbered

Gris
08-12-2009, 07:02 AM
I can't wait until we get the AREs in for Horns. Joe's Publicist is telling me early November.

Nerak
08-12-2009, 08:30 AM
I can't wait either! LOL

Cutter
08-12-2009, 11:17 AM
From joehillfiction.com regarding his next novel.

HORNS will be released in February 2010. William Morrow in America, Orion in the U.K. I don’t believe they’ve announced it, but PS Publishing will also be doing a limited print run with some Vincent Chong artwork. PS will almost certainly offer an edition that is signed and numbered

I'm glad PS Publishing will be doing the Limited, as it will be waaaay cheaper in price than if Subterranean were publishing it.

SkippyD023
08-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Can anyone tell me what a reasonable price would be to pay for a First Edition/First Printing of 20th Century Ghosts signed by Joe. I am talking about the William Morrow edition not the PS Publishing edition. Thanks.

Room 217 Caretaker
08-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Can anyone tell me what a reasonable price would be to pay for a First Edition/First Printing of 20th Century Ghosts signed by Joe. I am talking about the William Morrow edition not the PS Publishing edition. Thanks.

$35 Flat Signed

$45 Flat Signed with Joe drawing in the book.

Beware of some fake sigs out there with this book. Post any pictures of the signature here before buying.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Dr. Dawg
08-20-2009, 07:34 PM
I've got a spare that is signed with a drawing that I'd be willing to sell for $45 shipped. I can post pictures if anyone's interested.

biomieg
08-20-2009, 09:49 PM
I've got a spare that is signed with a drawing that I'd be willing to sell for $45 shipped. I can post pictures if anyone's interested.

I might be... If you're willing to ship abroad, that is :) can you post some pictures? Thanks!

Dr. Dawg
08-20-2009, 11:07 PM

I might be... If you're willing to ship abroad, that is :) can you post some pictures? Thanks!

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6940/jhx2.jpg

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7871/jhbug.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5783/jhballoon.jpg

If you're interested, PM me. I'll sell either one... just one though, one for me to keep!

Patrick
08-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Oh man, I don't have a signed copy of that one. :cry:

Can I call dibs?

SkippyD023
08-21-2009, 04:01 AM
I had run across this one on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320411236712&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) but I am always leary of buying signed copies off their. It looks legitimate but I am certainly no expert. Can someone tell me if this is the real deal. Thanks.

jhanic
08-21-2009, 05:18 AM
That one looks okay to me, but I'm far from an expert on Joe Hill signatures.

John

Gris
08-21-2009, 05:35 AM
here is a copy of his sig from my Gunpowder if you want to compare...

http://allgris.dns4me.com:8085/books/Images%5Cgunpowder_ag.jpg

Randall Flagg
08-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Oh man, I don't have a signed copy of that one. :cry:

Can I call dibs?
I have 2 from his signing in Keane, New Hampshire 10/20/07.:P

Nerak
08-21-2009, 06:26 AM
The sig looks good to me!

Randall Flagg
08-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Cover for JH's new novel Horns:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/4350/horns5copy1.jpg

Cloysterpete
08-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Pretty uninspiring cover aint it :orely:.

Any synopsis of the plot kicking around?.

Gris
08-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Ignatius Martin Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke the next morning with a headache, put his hands to his temples and felt something unfamiliar, a pair of knobby, pointed protuberances. He was so ill-wet-eyed and weak-he didn’t think anything of it at first, was too hungover for thinking or worry. But when he was swaying over the toilet, he glanced at himself in the mirror above the sink and saw he had grown horns while he slept.

The second son of a renowned musician and doting mother, Ig Perrish had a privileged life and expectations of a bright future with his childhood sweetheart, Merrin Williams. But life takes an unexpected dark turn when Merrin is brutally killed and suspicion falls hard on Ig.

A year passes, but Ig is nowhere near over his grief or his rage… feelings that come to a head in a lost evening of drinking and hate. When he wakes the next morning he discovers that he has undergone a surreal transformation, and is in possession of an incredible power. It isn’t long before he turns his terrible new abilities towards vengeance. Unfortunately Ig is about to learn that when it comes to revenge, the devil is in the details…

jhanic
08-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Interesting!

John

Cloysterpete
08-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Sounds like it could be good!. I've still not read any of Hill's work but I did get a copy of 20th Century Ghosts today, Christopher Golden hypes him up a lot in the intro so I hope I like his work!.

Gris
08-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Heart Shaped box was great, but his shorts in 20th are AMAZING. I really liked his version of Kafka's The Metamorphosis

Nerak
08-22-2009, 02:07 AM
Craig..where's the synopsis come from?

Gris
08-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Karen, where do I work?

Internal company info :D

Hell, we might not have the ARC yet, but I know how many copies have been presold :P

Patrick
08-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for sharing the synopsis, Craig. I'm looking forward to the book.

Nerak
09-01-2009, 10:24 AM
http://www.spike.com/event/scream2009/

Vote for Joe for best Comic Writer!!!

shnnrc01
09-01-2009, 12:45 PM
done. hope he gets a good shot at it!

Patrick
09-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Voted. Good luck, Joe!

Pasiuk57
09-02-2009, 01:30 PM
The lettered Thumbprint sold today. Very good price for one of only 52 copies...

Patrick
09-02-2009, 01:40 PM
The lettered Thumbprint sold today. Very good price for one of only 52 copies...
Link?

rosie real
09-02-2009, 01:49 PM
despite what the brilliant mr. hill is tweeting, you can only vote once in the awards so be sure to tell your friends and neighbors to vote for him too! :D

Pasiuk57
09-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Hill lettered
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110428155081&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

Gris
09-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Got an email from PS...

On the dilemma of Horns
No, it's not another of PS's famous goofs... you read it right. We've had a few enquiries following an announcement on Joe Hill's website so we may as well come clean. We will be doing a 500-copy limited edition of Joe's second PS novel, Horns - there'll be 300 slipcased copies signed by the man himself, and 200 traycased copies signed by Joe and artist Vinny Chong.
The slips will feature a wraparound dust-jacket cover (with the cover art also on the actual boards) plus four interior colour plates. The trays will feature a different dust-jacket (though the boards will still have the artwork from the slipcased edition) plus an additional interior piece... which will complement a deleted chapter from the book (note: the deleted chapter will feature only in the traycased edition).
We'll be putting up the order page as soon as we get some artwork in from Vinny. The book is currently scheduled for February 2010, and the prices will be as follows:
• 300 slipcased copies signed by Joe, with wraparound cover A (on both the boards and the dust-jacket) and four interior colour illustrations - £75 [$125 approx. at current rates of exchange]
• 200 traycased copies, signed by Joe and Vinny Chong, with wraparound cover B on the dust-jacket (and cover A on the boards), with the same four interior colour illustrations PLUS a deleted chapter AND an extra colour illustration - £200 [$330 approx. at current rates of exchange]
And get this: once the order page is up, all copies ordered before the end of 2009 will feature a reduction of £10 for the slips (to £65) and £25 for the trays (to £175)... and that's in addition to the usual pre-publication free postage offer (which will run all the way through to the day finished copies are received from the printers).
Please also note that customers who bought Gunpowder may request the same number for Horns; this will also apply to any future books or novellas from Joe.
And finally, the person ordering the first traycase on the ordering page will receive #1, as will the person ordering the first slipcase. (Please note that we will be strictly limiting copies to one per person, whatever the combination of slips and trays.)

Cutter
09-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Thanks Gris, the traycased copies sound like The Colorado Kid traycased copies. If so, then it will be an awesome production!

Nerak
09-03-2009, 06:09 AM
I want number 1 I want number ! I want number 1 I want number 1 I want number 1
:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Ricky
09-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the news Craig! I think I'm going to go for one of the slipcased copies.

Could you tell me where to sign up for the e-mail list that you received this from?

jhanic
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
http://store.pspublishing.co.uk/

John

Ricky
09-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Oh, is this only for the UK? Anything about a SL from WM?

Solar
09-03-2009, 12:17 PM
It's not just UK; they ship to the US too.

Gris
09-03-2009, 12:37 PM
They'll ship to the US. WM is releasing nothing other than HC, PB, Audio, & e-book.

Ricky
09-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Ah, gotcha. Thanks guys.

oy-the-brave
09-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I would love to get this in the 1/200 state like I have for the other Joe Hill books from PS but I can't believe the jump in price 330.00 for 1/200, if I recall correctly the earlier books were around 75.00 for the 1/200 state, this is ridiculous :arg:

Rahfa
09-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I'm all set with paying that much too...

He'll do his first signing in Exeter again, so I'll get a signed copy then.

Patrick
09-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I would love to get this in the 1/200 state like I have for the other Joe Hill books from PS but I can't believe the jump in price 330.00 for 1/200, if I recall correctly the earlier books were around 75.00 for the 1/200 state, this is ridiculous :arg:
But why should the eBay'ers make all the profit? I don't like the opening price either, but I don't fault PS for recognizing that they are way under market for a Joe Hill limited release of only 200 books.

oy-the-brave
09-03-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't think you will see much profit selling on ebay for this book at this price. The latest Locke & Key S/L to sell on ebay went for 191.00, it cost 265.00 w/shipping.

It's a shame but I won't pay lettered prices for a 1/200 book.

Patrick
09-03-2009, 09:52 PM
But why should the eBay'ers make all the profit? I don't like the opening price either, but I don't fault PS for recognizing that they are way under market for a Joe Hill limited release of only 200 books.

I don't think you will see much profit selling on ebay for this book at this price. The latest Locke & Key S/L to sell on ebay went for 191.00, it cost 265.00 w/shipping.

It's a shame but I won't pay lettered prices for a 1/200 book.
I don't consider those two items a fair comparison (HORNS vs. L&K). First, I put more stock in a novel collectible than a comic book collectible. But that aside: I already have all the comic books, and as much as I love them, I am not willing to pay $265 for a hardcover collection of only a few of them - despite the signatures. There are still multiple S/L volumes to be released of this story, so the all-in cost of the complete story (in S/L format) is going to be pretty significant.

HORNS, on the other hand, is a complete novel. Pay once and you get the whole thing. $330 may be a bit high in today's market, but I don't think it's completely unreasonable given the author's popularity, the limitation figure (200 vs. 500 or 1500, etc.), and the fact that it is a novel, not a comic book.

Nerak
09-04-2009, 06:36 AM
If I had the money, I would buy it. :( But, alas, I don't....ce la vie

Rahfa
09-04-2009, 07:15 AM

I agree 100 percent with that - just because I'm not buying a copy doesn't mean that's not the market price. I think there's def. 200 people who will pay $330, and yes, PS Publishing should see that profit, not speculators.

But...the problem is you price out the new collectors (or even would-be on-going collectors) and pretty soon, you don't have that market anymore. I think they are trying to make Joe Hill a collector's brand name, before he's got the track record to back it up...so I don't think it's a wise investment at that $330 price.

Cutter
09-04-2009, 09:17 AM
If the book is like The Colorado Kid traycased edition I have no problem paying that much money as that book was very nice and bound in real leather, but if it is like the Artist Editions of The Colorado Kid with a standard cloth bound book with glue binding and a dust jacket with a traycase, then it will be a rip-off.

Patrick
09-04-2009, 09:50 PM
If the book is like The Colorado Kid traycased edition I have no problem paying that much money as that book was very nice and bound in real leather, but if it is like the Artist Editions of The Colorado Kid with a standard cloth bound book with glue binding and a dust jacket with a traycase, then it will be a rip-off.
Agreed. Until proven otherwise, my assumption is that PS will present an edition worthy of a higher price.

Dolan
09-05-2009, 11:24 AM
sorry - its labor day weekend and I must be slow.

he said 1 copy pp, right? Does that mean buying 1 slip and 1 tray is not an option? Or does that not count...?

Just want to be sure

Randall Flagg
09-05-2009, 03:15 PM

he said 1 copy pp, right? Does that mean buying 1 slip and 1 tray is not an option? Or does that not count...?

Just want to be sure
<------------Asked for a clarification from PS Publishing. Answer to come.

Dolan
09-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Just want to be sure

Ahh thank you Randall - i guess i could have done the same. I just caught up to this topic late and wasn't sure. Thanks for that, buddy

Darkmaniscoming
09-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Can anyone give me an idea of good price for the UK S/L heart shaped box with Slip?

jhanic
09-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I think they're still going for about the issue price, about US$100. I've got one still in the shrinkwrap.

John

Darkmaniscoming
09-05-2009, 05:05 PM
hmmm nice thank you JOHN...is the book flatsigned or book plate?
How many were printed? It appears as though I'm seeing two different versions?

PS since I have you here and you are the Proof man...any idea about Chrichton proof values?
Jurrasic Park and Prey? Thanks

Randall Flagg
09-06-2009, 05:37 AM

Just want to be sure

Ahh thank you Randall - i guess i could have done the same. I just caught up to this topic late and wasn't sure. Thanks for that, buddy

Per PS Publishing:

Hi Jerome

It's either or. We're trying to make it fair for all of Joe's fans. There's only 500 copies total so we wanted to make sure people had a good chance of getting one or the other of them.

Best wishes

Pete Crowther

Dolan
09-06-2009, 07:47 AM

Just want to be sure

Per PS Publishing:

Hi Jerome

It's either or. We're trying to make it fair for all of Joe's fans. There's only 500 copies total so we wanted to make sure people had a good chance of getting one or the other of them.

Best wishes

Pete Crowther

F*ck. Okay - traycase edition it is...

Dolan
09-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Just got an email from Camelot Books. Apparently we can order through them as well.

I really don't want to be the scammer here, but I am thinking of ordering a slipcased edition through them and a tray-cased edition through PS. I don't feel entirely guilty because I'm not re-selling...so...

For those who were interested in both, this might be an option...

Patrick
09-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I got the same email, Dolan, but I hadn't thought of that option. :lol:

Nerak
09-07-2009, 12:58 AM
bad collector!!! he he

Dolan
09-07-2009, 07:12 AM
bad collector!!! he he

LOL! I thought, "I hope someone doesn't report me!"

You guys know I don't sell my Joe Hill stuff... so this is just s little secret detour :drool:

Darkmaniscoming
09-07-2009, 08:08 AM
So is this flatsigned or bookplate? anyone know?
I'm seeing two different ones i think...

I think they're still going for about the issue price, about US$100. I've got one still in the shrinkwrap.

John

kacod
09-07-2009, 08:14 AM
The UK S/L HSB :thumbsup:is flatsigned, 1300 copies.

e_taylor
09-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Flatsigned.

So is this flatsigned or bookplate? anyone know?
I'm seeing two different ones i think...

John

Darkmaniscoming
09-07-2009, 08:30 AM
thanks to both of you!!
seems rather cheap for a s/l?
is it decent ???

Brice
09-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I like mine quite a bit. :)

Dolan
09-07-2009, 11:38 AM
I like mine quite a bit. :)

Ditto...

Darkmaniscoming
09-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Ok i get it now...there's a UK S/L
and a Centepede S/L yes?

Dolan
09-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Ok i get it now...there's a UK S/L
and a Centepede S/L yes?

No. Subterranean for the US edition.

Here are 2 photos of the UK edition. The endpapers are quite cool as well.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/nykennyny/photo2-1.jpg

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/nykennyny/photo-4.jpg

Darkmaniscoming
09-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Wow great thanks...is there color illustrations?
thats golancz publisher right?

Patrick
09-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Darkman, regarding HEART-SHAPED BOX:

Here are some photos of my copy (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=44546#post44546). I like it and wouldn't hesitate to purchase one if I didn't already own it.

In the two subsequent posts in that link to my collection thread, you can see:

The Sub Press edition. Although mine is, as clearly marked, the second printing, it will give you the idea.

Below that is the Trade Edition.

Darkmaniscoming
09-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Always the best info here (really nice collection BTW)
That black house S/L is on my serious short list as well as soon as I get some $$$

So the Golanz does NOT (?) have illustrations but subterranean does right?
But subterranean is a later reprint in theory correct?

What is real first? S/L Golantz UK or Morrow US trade?
I assume Morrow but you never know...?

I have 3 Morrow US trade editions and could spare one for cost if anyone needs?

Thanks very much Patrick.

Darkman, regarding HEART-SHAPED BOX:

Here are some photos of my copy (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=44546#post44546). I like it and wouldn't hesitate to purchase one if I didn't already own it.

In the two subsequent posts in that link to my collection thread, you can see:

The Sub Press edition. Although mine is, as clearly marked, the second printing, it will give you the idea.

Below that is the Trade Edition.

Randall Flagg
09-09-2009, 06:09 AM
Got these back from Joe Hill yesterday:
(FYI, Joe has been very busy so if you send a book(s) to him for a signature, be patient and prepared to wait a bit. Mine took almost 5 months to be returned.)
He did write me a note apologizing for the delay.:thumbsup:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/P10102791.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/P10102801.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/P10102811.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/P10102821.JPG

Dr. Dawg
09-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Those signatures are VERY nice! I didn't know he accepted books to sign like that. Is there a protocol for sending books posted on his website somewhere? I have a couple of chap books I'd like signed!

Nerak
09-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I want your gunpowder! Le Sigh

Patrick
09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Darkman, very good questions up there... I'm not certain of the answers. I thought the Sub. Press 1st edition of HSB would be the true first, but I'll leave it to others more knowledgeable to clarify.

Very nice autographed books, Jerome. Does he still personalize, or did you ask him not to?

Darkmaniscoming
09-09-2009, 10:12 AM
OK so I found out that the subterranean was in fact the true first at it was published as an "advance" version. It looks like the second printing of it is in fact previous to the trades as well but not 100% sure.....wilkepedia even does not say what comes first after that because it focuses on the "hype" as you called it, around these editions selling out so fast..

I just bought the UK s/l because it looks like a very nice book to have and I'm thinking the SUB one is probably hard to come by and a million dollars now???:orely:

Darkmaniscoming
09-09-2009, 10:25 AM
TOTAL WRONG INFO....SORRY

The Morrow came out 2 months before SUB...

Still dont know when the UK fits in but somebody find out please...i'm getting a headache from arguing with myself here so I will go fishing now..:)

OK so I found out that the subterranean was in fact the true first at it was published as an "advance" version. It looks like the second printing of it is in fact previous to the trades as well but not 100% sure.....wilkepedia even does not say what comes first after that because it focuses on the "hype" as you called it, around these editions selling out so fast..

I just bought the UK s/l because it looks like a very nice book to have and I'm thinking the SUB one is probably hard to come by and a million dollars now???:orely:

Ricky
09-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I didn't know he accepted books to sign like that. Is there a protocol for sending books posted on his website somewhere?

Yes, I would like to know the answer to this as well; I didn't know he accepted books through the mail. Believe me, I've tried searching--unsuccessfully--for a mailing address.

Dolan
09-09-2009, 03:31 PM
I didn't know he accepted books to sign like that. Is there a protocol for sending books posted on his website somewhere?

Yes, I would like to know the answer to this as well; I didn't know he accepted books through the mail. Believe me, I've tried searching--unsuccessfully--for a mailing address.

There are a few of us who do have his mailing address. Years ago he used to just give it out. I am sure that has changed now. Check over at his website. www.joehillfiction.com

Do be careful though. A year or more back I sent Joe an ARC of 20th Century Ghosts and I never got it back. I believe it never made it to him. I even included a check for him to address to a charity of his chosing. Check went undeposited.

Don't send anything really valuable...

Ricky
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I've checked his site (and message board) over the months but have been unable to find anything regarding signings through the mail.

Randall Flagg
09-09-2009, 04:18 PM
The protocol for having Joe Hill sign something is to check with his webmaster Shane at
http://joehillfiction.com/
go to the Message board (you may have to sign up) and PM him.
http://joehillfiction.informe.com/forum/member120.html
The address is in this thread, but it was mentioned many months ago, and I would hate for someone to send him something and either have it sent back, or expect it in a few weeks (perhaps for Christmas) and be disappointed.
Additionally, even if Shane says go ahead, be VERY patient. Mine took several months.

Patrick-I didn't even bother asking for personalization-I am sure he would do so, I didn't ask for the little artwork, but Joe doodled.:P

Nerak
09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Joe likes to doodle! And I was nice enough to not run him over this morning, so, he will live to sign more books! :lol:

Randall Flagg
09-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Joe likes to doodle! And I was nice enough to not run him over this morning, so, he will live to sign more books! :lol:
Please drive carefully.
Collecting depends on you.

Nerak
09-09-2009, 04:50 PM
HE HE HE There was a crossing guard...he felt safe to walk across the street! HE HE HE

Patrick
09-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Karen, you are a great humanitarian.

Nerak
09-10-2009, 03:26 AM
I do my best :lol:

Randall Flagg
09-10-2009, 05:41 AM
I forgot to mention that if Shane says send a book to Joe Hill, you need to enclose a pre-printed, prepaid, adhesive return label.

Ricky
09-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks Jerome. I thought of e-mailing the webmaster, but in other times like this, the webmaster turns out to not be affiliated with the site's owner in any way.

Now I know to try this one.

Randall Flagg
09-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Webmaster wasn't the best choice of words on my part. Shane is the Administrator for Joe Hill's Message Board.

Brice
09-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Congratulations, Jerome!

Here's my newest little treasure:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/P9100013.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/P9100012.jpg

Nerak
09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Nice Key Brice! :lol:

Brice
09-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Thank you! :couple:

Ricky
09-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Webmaster wasn't the best choice of words on my part. Shane is the Administrator for Joe Hill's Message Board.

Ah, now that clears things up a bit.

dyetye
09-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Oh, I was able to get a key from a friend who went to SDCC...wonder if I could get that signed if I sent it in...

Patrick
09-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Here's my newest little treasure:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/P9100013.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/P9100012.jpg
Sweet! I'm jealous.

Nerak
09-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Patrick...I am trying to get my hands on more. If I do, you are first in line!!!

Patrick
09-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Patrick...I am trying to get my hands on more. If I do, you are first in line!!!
:huglove:

Nerak
09-11-2009, 05:43 AM
News from the land of Joe:

"Two Locke & Key related items:

First, when Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft was released in hardcover, I did a thing where folks could call and preorder a copy from a certain local bookstore, and I’d sign it for them. That seemed to work pretty well, so I thought I’d do it again with Locke & Key: Head Games, which is out later this month.

If you’d like to get your paws on a signed copy of Locke & Key: Head Games, put a call in to the River Run Bookstore in Portsmouth, NH, sometime between now and the 23rd of September. Their number is (603) 431-2100.

Before you pick up the phone, hang on a second, ’cause there are a few nitpicky ground rules. I’ll sign up to three books per household, but at least one of them has to be Locke & Key: Head Games. I can only personalize and doodle in one. Remember that you’ll be paying cover price and shipping costs. Finally, every effort will be made to deliver your orders in mint collection. But no one can promise your books won’t pick up a scuff or something in shipping. River Run Books can’t offer refunds.

Secondly, I want to give a head’s up that today sees the release of LOCKE & KEY - SPECIAL EDITION, which reprints the first issue from “Welcome to Lovecraft,” the script, and, best of all, a color release of “Freddy Wertham Goes to Hell.” Some of you know the story behind “Freddy,” but to recap for those who don’t: this was the second comic I ever wrote, and my second collaboration with artist Seth Fisher, a blazing talent who passed away far, far too young. Seth was midway through his work on “Freddy” when he died, and the pages were finished by his best friend, the equally gifted Langdon Foss. I’m delighted to see the story get a big color release (it was originally published in b&w) and I hope people will give ‘er a look. You can learn more about Seth’s life, and view lots of his work, here at his website, floweringnose.com."

Dolan
09-11-2009, 06:00 AM
Thanks for posting that Karen. I saw that last night and was going to post it...but it was my bedtime :cyclops:

Gris
09-11-2009, 07:35 AM
I called em. figured I'm going to buy it anyway, might as well pay cover instead of amazon price and get the man to sign it.

Nerak
09-11-2009, 07:46 AM
I asked if the comic one is going to be available at the book store as well, waiting for an answer on that.

I will just have him sign mine if he does a reading in the area, or when he has time. I know where to find him! :lol:

Patrick
09-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks, Karen.

Dolan
09-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I got this today. I had no idea it was even out there until recently... VERY happy to have this...

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/nykennyny/pc1.jpg

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/nykennyny/pc2.jpg

Nerak
09-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I am getting one too! :) Can't wait! It's in the mail!

Room 217 Caretaker
09-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I got this today. I had no idea it was even out there until recently... VERY happy to have this...

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/nykennyny/pc1.jpg

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/nykennyny/pc2.jpg

:thumbsup: It is a very cool book. I own BB.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Dolan
09-16-2009, 03:09 PM
:thumbsup: It is a very cool book. I own BB.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

AhhhhhH! Very nice!

Patrick
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I have the book on order too. It should have been here by now in my estimation.

Dolan
09-16-2009, 07:22 PM
I got mine on eBay - did you guys get yours directly from the publisher? I paid a fair price.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-17-2009, 02:17 AM
I got mine on eBay - did you guys get yours directly from the publisher? I paid a fair price.

I traded some books with Roy at Bad Moon Books. It was one of my choices from a list.

The way the trade worked out I paid between $70-80 for it. I was happy to get a lettered edition at that price. Joe's intro is great. Worth the money to carefully read that part.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Nerak
09-17-2009, 06:51 AM
I got mine this morning. I got #47. It's not as good as the lettered, but I have one.

But it needs a new dust jacket, it's dinged :(

But I still have one! :lol:

And got my Gunpowder, finally.

Dolan
09-17-2009, 07:00 AM
did we ever make that list of the Joe Hill S/L the way we did the King S/L?

Nerak
09-17-2009, 07:24 AM
I don't think so...if we did, it is probably in this thread

Patrick
09-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I can't remember either, to be honest.

Kenny, if you don't find a list buried in this thread, feel free to compile one! I'd be interested in seeing it.

Dolan
09-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Kenny, if you don't find a list buried in this thread, feel free to compile one! I'd be interested in seeing it.

I will get to work on it. I might need some help though with a few odds - I think I am missing a few items. Should have it for you guys by next week

Patrick
09-17-2009, 10:37 PM

I will get to work on it. I might need some help though with a few odds - I think I am missing a few items. Should have it for you guys by next week
You might be missing something by Joe Hill? Say what?!

Cool, thanks, Kenny. :thumbsup:

Patrick
09-17-2009, 10:47 PM
I asked if the comic one is going to be available at the book store as well, waiting for an answer on that.
Any response on this yet, Karen?

Thanks.

Nerak
09-18-2009, 03:45 AM
yeah um, nope! lol They didn't even have it at the local bookstore

willie3
09-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Any word on the order date for PS limited of Horns?

Also hoping to see a proof show up sometime soon.

Gris
09-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Just checked. No Horns proofs yet.

Boxes of proofs show up on Friday mornings. I'll check again next week.

Patrick
09-18-2009, 07:43 PM
My copy of Peter Crowther's books arrived today. I forgot that I had ordered the numbered rather than the lettered, so no Joe Hill sig for me in this one. However I did ask Peter to inscribe the book to me since he is the publisher and the author (Joe provides an intro only, for those who don't already know).

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Crowther-End3.jpg...http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Crowther-End4.jpg

Patrick
09-18-2009, 07:45 PM
I received this S/L hardcover chapbook by Joe Hill today as well.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Hill-Saved1.jpg...http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Hill-Saved3.jpg

Brice
09-19-2009, 04:01 AM
Congratulations! I like the look of that Saved chapbook a lot. :)

Nerak
09-19-2009, 04:16 AM
The Saved is a pretty little chap! My fave of all of Joe's.

Brice
09-19-2009, 04:30 AM
I don't think I've seen that one before. It's very nice.

Randall Flagg
09-19-2009, 05:19 AM
Very nice Patrick.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-19-2009, 05:33 AM
The Saved is a cool chap.

Yep, Joe only signed the lettered edition but his intro in both editions is a great add on to Pete's book.

Congrats Patrick (:drool: my Saved isn't numbered)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
09-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks, guys!

If Joe ever makes it back out to the west coast again, I may take Crowther's book and have Joe inscribe it too.

I've wanted that SAVED chapbook since it was released, I'm happy to finally have a copy.

Dolan
09-19-2009, 09:29 AM
The Saved is a pretty little chap! My fave of all of Joe's.

That's one I don't have...

Dolan
09-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Ok here is what I have, can someone help with any of the blanks? The BOLD is where we need clarity. And also, if I am missing anything

2005 - Subterranean Issue #2 - 150 numbered
2005 - Voluntary Committal - 26 Lettered/250 numbered
2005 - Postscripts #3 - 150 numbered
2005 - Postscripts #5 - 150 numbered
2005 - 20th Century Ghosts - 200 numbered, signed by Hill and Golden (slip cased)/ 300 numbered, signed by Hill
2006 - Looking Glass - 550 numbered
2007 - Thumbprint - ? lettered/276 numbered (is that right?)
2007 - Pop Art - 52 Lettered/150 numbered
2007 - Heart Shaped Box - 15 Lettered, ? First printing, ? Second printing
2007 - Heart Shaped Box, UK S/L - 1300 numbered
2008 - Locke & Key - 26 lettered/250 numbered
2008 - At the End of the Working Day - 56 Lettered
2008 - Gunpowder - 200 numbered, signed by author and artist (slip cased)/300 signed by author

Saved - can someone give year and total on this? Is it 100 signed hardcovers?

Patrick
09-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Also:

Postscripts 10, signed with his dad

and

He Is Legend, also signed with his dad.

I don't have the detail info handy though.

Dolan
09-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Also:

Postscripts 10, signed with his dad

and

He Is Legend, also signed with his dad.

I don't have the detail info handy though.

Ahhh yes! I have all my Joe Hill stuff together but those are with my King stuff... which is all over the place. Karen - remember when you slept over my house that time you said, "Gosh i wish all your King stuff was in one place!"

Ha! It still isn't!

Updated:

2005 - 20th Century Ghosts - 200 numbered, signed by Hill and Golden (slip cased)/ 300 numbered, signed by Hill
2006 - Looking Glass - 550 numbered
2007 - Thumbprint - ? lettered/276 numbered (is that right?)
2007 - Postscripts 10 - 200 numbered (slipcased)
2007 - Heart Shaped Box - 15 Lettered, ? First printing, ? Second printing
2008 - At the End of the Working Day - 56 Lettered
2008 - Gunpowder - 200 numbered, signed by author and artist (slip cased)/300 signed by author
2009 - He Is Legend - 750 numbered

Room 217 Caretaker
09-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Looking Glass 26 lettered copies

2009 Locke & Key: Head Games 26 lettered/250 numbered (I'm looking for my order to verify these numbers)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

willie3
09-19-2009, 11:24 AM
2007 Heart Shaped Box (Sub Press)

15 Lettered (A-O)

200 Deluxe Limited (Extras Included) Signed by Author #1-200

300 Limited Signed by Author #201-500

100 Second Print Deluxe Signed by Author

400 Second Print Limited Signed by Author

(Can't remember if the second prints were #, will have to check)

Thumbprint 52 Lettered 276 Numbered

Karl

willie3
09-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Also Joe Hill signed the sig page for

IDW: The First Decade

But no limitation is noted

Nitpicking, but it is
The Land At The End Of The Working Day-52 lettered
but you already knew that !!

willie3
09-19-2009, 11:57 AM
And lest I forget...

Great Job and Thank You for putting together the list !!

:clap:

Dolan
09-19-2009, 12:07 PM
THANKS for your help with this, guys!!!! Does anyone have more info about "IDW: The First Decade?"

Updated:

2006 - Looking Glass - 26 Lettered/ 550 numbered
2007 - Thumbprint - 52 lettered/276 numbered
2007 - Heart Shaped Box - 15 lettered/200 deluxe (with extras)/ 300 non-deluxe/ 100 second printing deluxe/ 400 second printing non-deluxe
2008 - The Land At The End Of The Working Day - 52 Lettered
2009 - Locke & Key: Head Games 26 lettered/250 numbered

willie3
09-19-2009, 12:17 PM
What would you like to know?

Printed this year, 2 hardback books & a comic housed in a black "velvet" traycase with a cutout in the traycase front to house the IDW 'Key', reminiscent of the Ghost Key given out at this year's SDCC.
Thing is huge at 14" x 10 1/2" x 2"

Has an interview with Joe Hill and the comic has a 5pg Locke & Key comic.

Ordered from the IDW website for $75.

(Just checked and seems to be still available. The order page says pre-order, but I received my copy a couple of months ago.)
http://store.idwpublishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1656

Dolan one more I just remembered...

2009 Grave Tales #6 - 100 Signed Hardcovers (Cemetery Dance)

Room 217 Caretaker
09-19-2009, 01:02 PM
also 2009 Grave Tales #7: Hill, Crowther, Gorman 100 signed hardcovers (Cemetery Dance)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Room 217 Caretaker
09-19-2009, 01:09 PM
(not yet published) Smoke and Mirrors (Cemetery Dance)

Deluxe Slipcased 400 signed
Deluxe Traycased Lettered Edition 52 signed

Room 217 Caretaker
09-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Printed this year, 2 hardback books & a comic housed in a black "velvet" traycase with a cutout in the traycase front to house the IDW 'Key', reminiscent of the Ghost Key given out at this year's SDCC.

(Just checked and seems to be still available. The order page says pre-order, but I received my copy a couple of months ago.)

Willie3 is right. This is a very nice book. The traycase with magnetic closure is cool. Hint if your want one:

Order from Amazon with our link. You can get the book for $49 and free shipping.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

willie3
09-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Hint if you want one:

Order from Amazon with our link. You can get the book for $49 and free shipping.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Sometimes I feel so stupid...:beat:

At that price though, I may order another :orely:

Dolan
09-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the info and link guys - here is what we have so far:

2007 - Heart Shaped Box - 15 lettered/200 deluxe (with extras)/ 300 non-deluxe/ 100 second printing deluxe/ 400 second printing non-deluxe
2009 - IDW: The First Decade - indeterminate number of copies
2009 - Grave Tales #6 - 100
TBD - Smoke and Mirrors - 52 lettered/400 numbered

willie3
09-19-2009, 02:18 PM

Year would be 2007, unknown totals, though there seem to be a lot of signed "PS File Copies" out there.

Both the signed and unsigned were hardcovers, the same except for the sig page.

The unsigned edition is still available from PS.

willie3
09-19-2009, 02:22 PM
One more and I'll climb again down my hidey-hole.

While looking for some of the info above I pulled out my Subterranean Magazine #6 with the signed Pop Art Chapbook.

I had forgotten I had #1 :rock:

Room 217 Caretaker
09-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Need to add

2009 Grave Tales #7: Hill, Crowther, Gorman 100 signed hardcovers (Cemetery Dance)

Willie3: Don't feel stupid. I just got lucky when a friend pointed that out to me. I'm thinking about getting a 2nd copy, removing the book and storing the Lock & Key comic set inside the traycase :orely:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
09-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Patrick started this thread, and Dolan is now clarifying (with the help of many members here) the list of Joe Hill S/L's.
We'll figure out whether to break the list out as a separate thread, or have Patrick; if willing to add and update the list in his initial post.
Thanks to everyone here who has helped, and also to those who will.:grouphug:

Nerak
09-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Man, I am missing a lot of crap!! I need a sugar daddy to buy me some limited!!!! :lol:

Room 217 Caretaker
09-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Man, I am missing a lot of crap!! I need a sugar daddy to buy me some limited!!!! :lol:

:rofl::lol::lol::rofl:

OK.....I couldn't help it. When you posted I immediately thought of this video:

YouTube - I'm Her Daddy

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

willie3
09-19-2009, 03:44 PM
:rofl:

Patrick
09-19-2009, 05:22 PM
:wtf: :rofl:

- - - -

Jerome makes an excellent point. I'll be happy to update my first post with Dolan's list from time to time. I'll wait until the weekend is over as the list is expanding almost hourly, then edit. We can keep editing going forward as new info is uncovered.

Kenny, if you don't mind adding more info to your list, I'd love to see it include the original issue price of the various editions.

Patrick
09-19-2009, 05:41 PM

Willie3 is right. This is a very nice book. The traycase with magnetic closure is cool. Hint if your want one:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
Thanks for the info, willie, and for the link, Ralph.

I just ordered a copy of IDW: THE FIRST 10 YEARS (I don't know they call it that when the book says "IDW: THE FIRST DECADE") using the Amazon link at the bottom of TDT.com.

Even used the free shipping option too because I'm that patient (i.e. cheap).

Nerak
09-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Ralph, very funny!! HA HA HA!!

Love ya! :couple:

Dolan
09-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Kenny, if you don't mind adding more info to your list, I'd love to see it include the original issue price of the various editions.

I was aiming to have this as similar as the one that I had made over at dt.net for the King SL editions... if anyone wants to tackle the issue prices, please - I welcome it! Here is what I have thus far with the addition of Saved

2007 - Saved - indeterminate number of hardcovers signed by Hill

Room 217 Caretaker
09-20-2009, 05:02 AM

I was aiming to have this as similar as the one that I had made over at dt.net for the King SL editions... if anyone wants to tackle the issue prices, please - I welcome it! Here is what I have thus far with the addition of Saved

Need to add 2009- Grave Tales #7 - 100 $75 (#6 is also $75)

willie3
09-20-2009, 06:32 AM
I sent Miss Mindy at CD an email last night asking if the hardcover of Grave Tales 6 had been published yet. Will let you know when she responds.

I do know Grave Tales 7 has not been published yet.
We may get lucky and see it by year's end, though I wouldn't bet on it.

Pasiuk57
09-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Who out there has a copy of the Heart Shaped Box 15 Lettered Editions? Mine is Letter I.
Who has the remaining 14?

Dolan
09-20-2009, 07:40 AM
2009 - Grave Tales #6 - 100 ($75)
2009 - Grave Tales #7 - 100 ($75)

jon10g
09-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Is the Locke and Key comic in the IDW 10 years a new one or is it a reprint?

Brice
09-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't know if it would count as a separate item, but wasn't there one unique copy of the US S/L HSB sold on Ebay when the book first went up for sale? :unsure: I may be wrong, but it seems I remember something about that.

Dolan
09-20-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't know if it would count as a separate item, but wasn't there one unique copy of the US S/L HSB sold on Ebay when the book first went up for sale? :unsure: I may be wrong, but it seems I remember something about that.

Wasn't it #1? I was bidding on it...

willie3
09-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Cut and pasted Dolan's list, here's what I have so far.

2005 - Postscripts #3 - 150 numbered ($40)
2005 - Postscripts #5 - 150 numbered ($40)
2005 - 20th Century Ghosts - 200 numbered, signed by Hill and Golden (slip cased) ($80)/ 300 numbered, signed by Hill ($40)
2006 - Looking Glass - 26 Lettered ($175)/ 550 numbered ($35)
2007 - Thumbprint - 52 lettered ($400)/276 numbered
2007 - Pop Art - 52 Lettered/150 numbered ($80 only included with hardcover Subterranean Magazine#6)
2007 - Postscripts 10 - 200 numbered (slipcased)($80)
2007 - Saved – ($24) indeterminate number of hardcovers signed by Hill
2007 - Heart Shaped Box - 15 lettered/200 deluxe (with extras)($75)/ 300 non-deluxe ($50)/ 100 second printing deluxe/ 400 second printing non-deluxe ($60)
2008 - Locke & Key - 26 lettered/250 numbered ($250)
2008 - Gunpowder - 200 numbered, signed by author and artist (slip cased)($80)/300 signed by author ($40)
2009 - He Is Legend – 52 lettered ($500)/750 numbered ($200)
2009 - IDW: The First Decade – ($75) indeterminate number of copies
2009 - Locke & Key: Head Games 26 lettered/250 numbered ($250)
2009 - Grave Tales #7 - 100 ($75)
TBD - Smoke and Mirrors - 52 lettered ($400)/400 numbered ($150)

Still trying to fill in the gaps, but help is appreciated and solicited.

Karl

e_taylor
09-20-2009, 05:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Postscripts 10 was split between 300 signed but unnumbered copies, and 200 signed/numbered and slipcased copies.

willie3
09-20-2009, 05:58 PM
You are correct, I saw the error but forgot to change it. Thanks.

2005 - Postscripts #3 - 150 numbered ($40)
2005 - Postscripts #5 - 150 numbered ($40)
2005 - 20th Century Ghosts - 200 numbered, signed by Hill and Golden (slip cased) ($80)/ 300 numbered, signed by Hill ($40)
2006 - Looking Glass - 26 Lettered ($175)/ 550 numbered ($35)
2007 - Pop Art - 52 Lettered/150 numbered ($80 only included with hardcover Subterranean Magazine#6)
2007 - Postscripts 10 - 200 numbered (slipcased)($80)/ 300 signed ($40)
2007 - Saved – ($24) indeterminate number of hardcovers signed by Hill
2007 - Heart Shaped Box - 15 lettered/200 deluxe (bonus section)($75)/ 300 numbered ($50)/ 100 second printing deluxe/ 400 second printing non-deluxe ($60)
2007 - Heart Shaped Box, UK S/L - 1300 numbered (₤20)
2008 - Thumbprint - 52 lettered ($400)/26 lettered chapbooks/250 numbered chapbooks (only available with signed Subterranean Tales of Dark Fantasy) ($150)
2008 - Locke & Key - 26 lettered ($500)/250 numbered ($250)
2008 - Gunpowder - 200 numbered, signed by Hill and Chong (slip cased)($80)/ 300 signed by Hill ($40)
2009 - He Is Legend – 52 lettered ($500)/750 numbered ($200)
2009 - IDW: The First Decade – ($75) indeterminate number of copies
2009 - Locke & Key: Head Games 26 lettered ($500)/250 numbered ($250)
TBD - Horns – 200 tray cased signed by Hill and Chong ($330)/ 300 slip cased signed by Hill ($125)
TBD - Grave Tales #7 - 100 ($75)
TBD - Smoke and Mirrors - 52 lettered ($400)/400 numbered ($150)

Brice
09-21-2009, 02:15 AM

Wasn't it #1? I was bidding on it...

You may be right about that. My memory isn't so good. I just remembered because a friend was visiting from me .net at the time and I believe she was bidding on it also.

Rahfa
09-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Boy...that is a LOT of s/l editions that Joe has!

It doesn't compare to SK of course...but in that short a time-span, that is a pretty significant number of signed books floating around out there...

I'm pretty sure I remember the #1 copy of HSB coming up for auction...but wasn't there some even more unique item than that? I remember it went for big money, but I can't remember why.

Cloysterpete
09-21-2009, 09:31 AM
By god there must be more S/L Joe Hill than standard mass-market releases :pullhair:, thats unbelievable!.

How much of that is available as mass-market releases?. Cause i'll only stop complaining if someone says all of it lol.

Nerak
09-21-2009, 09:55 AM
5/6 of it was released as a non signed limited...but some of it is still limited, as in a small press run and sold out.

Patrick
09-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I just updated the first post in this thread with the latest list. Check it out. We can continue to update as needed. Should we add the publishers?

kacod
09-21-2009, 11:36 AM

Year would be 2007, unknown totals, though there seem to be a lot of signed "PS File Copies" out there.

Both the signed and unsigned were hardcovers, the same except for the sig page.

The unsigned edition is still available from PS.

I think the total number depended upon the number of subscribers to the Postscripts Mag; remember The Saved was the annual Christmas gift to subscribers - if you subscribed to the signed editions of Postscripts then you got a signed/numbered chapbook. Pete Crowther would probably be the only one who could answer that...

Dolan
09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
5/6 of it was released as a non signed limited...but some of it is still limited, as in a small press run and sold out.

I think if we are matching this list to the one like the Stephen King one we did years ago - we are only doing signed editions. I remmeber that was a question with books by King (like 999).

willie3
09-21-2009, 01:18 PM

I think the total number depended upon the number of subscribers to the Postscripts Mag; remember The Saved was the annual Christmas gift to subscribers - if you subscribed to the signed editions of Postscripts then you got a signed/numbered chapbook. Pete Crowther would probably be the only one who could answer that...

Initially that was the intent, I thought, but they came up in the PS store for separate ordering for $24 shortly thereafter.

They were sold out before I saw that (of course), but wouldn't that mean there were copies beyond what was need for subscriptions?
I wonder also if they were numbered or stamped as file copies.:orely:

Would be nice to hear what Mr. Crowther has to say...

Also as an addition, Miss Mindy from CD responded to my inquiry, the hardcovers of Grave Tales #6 have yet to be completed.
So I guess the 2009 release date needs to be changed to 'TBD'

Karl

Ari_Racing
09-21-2009, 07:50 PM
These last weeks I've been talking with Vincent Chong, who did the illustration artwork of ‘20th Century Ghosts’, ‘Heart-Shaped Box’, ‘Locke & Key’ and ‘Gunpowder’ (talking only about Joe Hill. He did also a lot of incredible illustrations for several Stephen King books). He also did the artwork for the limited edition of his next book ‘Horns’.

If anyone's interested, he sells prints of the illustrations. Here are some samples:

http://www.vincentchong-art.co.uk/images/image%20panels/2008%20image%20panels/void.jpg

http://www.vincentchong-art.co.uk/images/image%20panels/2008%20image%20panels/the%20boys.jpg

http://www.vincentchong-art.co.uk/images/image%20panels/2008%20image%20panels/locke%20&%20key.jpg

http://www.vincentchong-art.co.uk/images/image%20panels/2008%20image%20panels/thumbprint.jpg

http://www.vincentchong-art.co.uk/images/image%20panels/2006%20image%20panels/craddock.jpg

http://www.vincentchong-art.co.uk/images/image%20panels/2005%20image%20panels/20th%20century%20ghosts%20collage%201.jpg

http://www.vincentchong-art.co.uk/images/image%20panels/2005%20image%20panels/20th%20century%20ghosts%20collage%202.jpg

http://www.vincentchong-art.co.uk/images/image%20panels/2005%20image%20panels/ghost%20girl.jpg

Prints cost £20 + S/H. In order to avoid spam, I won't put Vincent's email here but I'll provide it by PM upon request.

And something you don't see too often:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/Gunpowder.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/Gunpowder_2.jpg

Two remarques done for Gunpowder. He also does remarques upon request. Cost is £10 for a small remarque and £30 for a full page one (like the one of the Low man in yellow coat.

I encourage all to visit his website:

http://www.vincentchong-art.co.uk/

I'm really astonished by some of the images (and not only the King-based ones!)

Dolan
09-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Looks AMAZING - id love to get mine done!

DavidK44
09-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Some more prices for the list:

Subterranean #2 HC was $80

Voluntary Committal (250 numbered SC) was $12

Pop Art - the 150 numbered SC copy was only available as a bonus with Subterranean#6 for $80. The 52 copy lettered HC was available separately for $75.

Might want to note that 'The Land at the End of the Working Day' is by Pete Crowther, with intro by Joe - otherwise, there's going to be a bunch of people wondering what Hill book that one was....

Patrick
09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks for sharing those, Ari, including the link. I love Chong's work.

EDIT:

I was so mesmerized by Vincent Chong's artwork, I glossed right past the subsequent posts. Thanks for the additional information, DavidK.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-22-2009, 01:15 PM
These last weeks I've been talking with Vincent Chong, who did the illustration artwork of ‘20th Century Ghosts’, ‘Heart-Shaped Box’, ‘Locke & Key’ and ‘Gunpowder’ (talking only about Joe Hill. He did also a lot of incredible illustrations for several Stephen King books). He also did the artwork for the limited edition of his next book ‘Horns’.

If anyone's interested, he sells prints of the illustrations. Here are some samples:

<see photos upthread>

Prints cost £20 + S/H. In order to avoid spam, I won't put Vincent's email here but I'll provide it by PM upon request.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/Gunpowder_2.jpg

Two remarques done for Gunpowder. He also does remarques upon request. Cost is £10 for a small remarque and £30 for a full page one (like the one of the Low man in yellow coat.

I encourage all to visit his website:

http://www.vincentchong-art.co.uk/

I'm really astonished by some of the images (and not only the King-based ones!)

hehehe....the top remarque looks familiar :P

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM

hehehe....the top remarque looks familiar :P

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
I love your remarque, Ralph!

Here's mine:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Hill-Gunpowder-5.jpg

Roomtemp
09-23-2009, 05:46 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned the s/l sub copy of The New Dead. Limited to 250 copies. Published late 2009 I think.

Nerak
09-23-2009, 06:20 AM
you people are killing me with all the stuff I DON'T have!!!

Patrick
09-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the additional info, Roomtemp. Who is the publisher on that one?

If anyone wants to update and repost the list, I'll copy it into the first post.

Sure are plenty on that list that I don't have either, so I know how you feel.

Nerak
09-23-2009, 09:33 AM
I thought I was doin so good! I gotta stop almost running him over and get on him about Horns! LOL I wanna read it!

Room 217 Caretaker
09-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the additional info, Roomtemp. Who is the publisher on that one?

If anyone wants to update and repost the list, I'll copy it into the first post.

Sure are plenty on that list that I don't have either, so I know how you feel.

The Subterranean Press edition of The New Dead will be very limited -- only 250 copies, with no lettered edition -- and feature a full color cover and four interior color plates by Stephen R. Bissette. In addition, Glenn Chadbourne has contributed an original illustration to appear at the head of each story.

Table of Contents
“Lazarus” by John Connolly
“What Maisie Knew” by David Liss
“Copper” by Stephen R. Bissette
“In the Dust” by Tim Lebbon
“Life Sentence” by Kelley Armstrong
“Delice” by Holly Newstein
“Closure, LTD” by Max Brooks
“The Wind Cries Mary” by Brian Keene
“Family Business” by Jonathan Maberry
“The Zombie Who Fell From the Sky” by M.B. Homler
“My Dolly” by Derek Nikitas
“Second Wind” by Mike Carey
“Among Us” by Aimee Bender
“Ghost Trap” by Rick Hautala
“The Storm Door” by Tad Williams
“Kids and Their Toys” by James A. Moore
“Shooting Pool” by Joe R. Lansdale
“Weaponized” by David Wellington
“Twittering from the Circus of the Dead” by Joe Hill

Limited to 250 numbered copies signed by all contributors and sold out pre-publication - $125.00 SOLD OUT

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
09-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the detail info on that Sub Press book, Ralph. I don't know how I missed out on even hearing about that book completely. :doh:

News from the land of Joe:

"Two Locke & Key related items:

First, when Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft was released in hardcover, I did a thing where folks could call and preorder a copy from a certain local bookstore, and I’d sign it for them. That seemed to work pretty well, so I thought I’d do it again with Locke & Key: Head Games, which is out later this month.

If you’d like to get your paws on a signed copy of Locke & Key: Head Games, put a call in to the River Run Bookstore in Portsmouth, NH, sometime between now and the 23rd of September. Their number is (603) 431-2100.

Before you pick up the phone, hang on a second, ’cause there are a few nitpicky ground rules. I’ll sign up to three books per household, but at least one of them has to be Locke & Key: Head Games. I can only personalize and doodle in one. Remember that you’ll be paying cover price and shipping costs. Finally, every effort will be made to deliver your orders in mint collection. But no one can promise your books won’t pick up a scuff or something in shipping. River Run Books can’t offer refunds.

Secondly, I want to give a head’s up that today sees the release of LOCKE & KEY - SPECIAL EDITION, which reprints the first issue from “Welcome to Lovecraft,” the script, and, best of all, a color release of “Freddy Wertham Goes to Hell.” Some of you know the story behind “Freddy,” but to recap for those who don’t: this was the second comic I ever wrote, and my second collaboration with artist Seth Fisher, a blazing talent who passed away far, far too young. Seth was midway through his work on “Freddy” when he died, and the pages were finished by his best friend, the equally gifted Langdon Foss. I’m delighted to see the story get a big color release (it was originally published in b&w) and I hope people will give ‘er a look. You can learn more about Seth’s life, and view lots of his work, here at his website, floweringnose.com."

Just a reminder that today is the last day to call and order your inscribed LOCKE & KEY: HEAD GAMES hardcover!

I finally called this morning and ordered mine.

They are definitely limiting the inscription to only one book, so that's all I ordered (no need for flatsigned copies).

Also they do not have the comic book, LOCKE & KEY - SPECIAL EDITION, darn it.

Dolan
09-23-2009, 09:44 AM
wow... another one i had no idea about but i do know about that story....

Nerak
09-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah River Run is a book store, not Comic book. y'all will have to get the comic someplace else.

And I almost ran him over again...he needs to learn to NOT cross the street in front of me! LOL

I think if we get a good settlement from the ins. company...I am going Joe Hill book shopping...after I pay some bills....

Pasiuk57
09-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Just ordered an inscribed...SUPER NICE PEOPLE THERE!!!

Roomtemp
09-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Hey Everyone...

Thanks on the info on The New Dead. I was on my phone so not to easy to type long entries while I browse.

I thought some people here might be interested that IDW has listed some of those Signed / Limited San Diego Comic Con Locke and Key Keys... Signed by Joe.! For $20 bux !
I ran across it on Joe's Site so props to sgc1999 for posted it...

Here's the link:

https://shop.idwpublishing.com/locke-and-key-exclusive-ghost-key-signed.html

gsvec
09-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Roomtemp! Order placed! :D

Patrick
09-23-2009, 08:58 PM
I was on Joe's site just last night and didn't see this, so thanks, Roomtemp! Order placed.

There were 500 numbered keys, I kind of get the impression that these are the extras - also signed, but maybe unnumbered. How do you guys read it?

Roomtemp
09-23-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm with you there Patrick. Still pretty excited about it though... I was kicking myself for not ponying up for an ebay one. Gotta be one of the few times that waiting has payed off.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-24-2009, 02:28 AM
Thanks Roomtemp

One on the way to me as well. It will look good with my IDW S/L

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Nerak
09-24-2009, 04:04 AM
There were extras after Comic Con and they were sent to Joe to have him sign them. So I am assuming these are numbered.

Randall Flagg
09-24-2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Ordered one.

SkippyD023
09-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the info, I placed an order as well. It's a steal for $20 compared with what they are trying to sell them for on e-bay.

Cutter
09-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks Roomtemp a lot. Who Hoo, I just ordered a key!

...and I forgot all about The New Dead. I'm glad I ordered this one, not only is Joe Hill in it - the list of authors is really good!

Patrick
09-24-2009, 10:37 AM
I placed my IDW order late last night and I've already received an email notification that the package has shipped. Sweet!

Roomtemp
09-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I also got a shipping confirmation. I wonder how many they have?

Patrick
09-24-2009, 10:59 AM
If these are numbered when we receive them, we'll know the limit.

If they're not, then someone would need to ask, although we may never find out.

DavidK44
09-24-2009, 11:50 AM
They made 500 of them, and according to a post on Joe Hill's forum he sold out of all of the keys he took to the San Diego Comic Con. I'd be surprised if they had more than a couple of hundred left to sell via IDW.

Patrick
09-24-2009, 01:43 PM
They made 500 of them, and according to a post on Joe Hill's forum he sold out of all of the keys he took to the San Diego Comic Con. I'd be surprised if they had more than a couple of hundred left to sell via IDW.
Ooooh, I get it now: He did not take all 500 to San Diego. Is that correct?

Patrick
09-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Today I received this book from Amazon. Nice production for only $48. Signed by Hill and others, as discussed upthread.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Hill-IDWdecade-1.jpg

Also picked up the Special Edition of L&K today at my local comic store. It's a much thicker, nicer book than I expected give the $6 price tag.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Hill-LK-SpecialEd-1.jpg

(Please excuse the lousy cellphone camera pics.)

Patrick
09-26-2009, 02:16 PM
If anyone is interested, I just posted some photos of the IDW: THE FIRST DECADE package in my Collections page right here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=443275#post443275).

Patrick
09-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Just checked the mailbox!

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Hill-LKkeySDCC09-1.jpg

Nerak
09-26-2009, 03:33 PM
And they ARE numbered, right

Patrick
09-26-2009, 04:01 PM
And they ARE numbered, right

Yes, as you can see here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=443289#post443289).

Dolan
09-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Nice Patrick! Can't wait for mine!!

carlosdetweiller
09-27-2009, 06:07 PM
By god there must be more S/L Joe Hill than standard mass-market releases :pullhair:, thats unbelievable!.

It is an interesting phenomenon. I'm just talking off the top of my head here and will probably be shot down by the Joe Hill fans but this is definitely weird. Usually an author has to generate large numbers of trade edition sales and be widely read before there is any interest at all in producing S/L editions. What publisher in their right mind would go to the trouble and expense of producing an S/L for an author with no publishing/sales history? (Unless that author is related to another more popular author?)

It seems like manufactured popularity to me. Maybe it is just me but I don't think his writing history yet justifies this instant selling out of S/L's when there is no track record of trade edition sales. Sales based on speculation that he will one day be as famous as his dad? We'll know in 10 years or so, I guess. Personally, having read HEART SHAPED BOX, I just don't get it. I'm sure he is a fine young man and I have heard nothing but good things about his treatment of fans and his personality but I just don't get it.

OK. Now I expect to be fully shot down by all you Joe Hill fans.

Ari_Racing
09-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Actually...I was going to post something similar not so long ago. But there's one thing that I don't quite agree, and that's when you say that an author has to generate large numbers of trade edition. And I don't know how much I am qualified for this, but I think that several small publishers that produce S/L editions have a lot of authors completely unknown (Cemetary Dance is an example).

For Joe Hill, it's easy..."uncover" Joe Hill's true identity just before the release of the first novel was a great marketing move. And even when I liked Heart-shaped box (better than the first novels of a lot of horror authors), Joe is hundred miles away of the 70s King.

As for the short story collection, I encourage all to compare it to Night shift (King's first short story collection). Black and white if you ask me. I only liked two or three of the stories. Some were okay, some were poor, and some....man, I don't understand why he even agree to include 'em.

Just a thought :)

Dolan
09-27-2009, 06:43 PM
As for the short story collection, I encourage all to compare it to Night shift (King's first short story collection). Black and white if you ask me. I only liked two or three of the stories. Some were okay, some were poor, and some....man, I don't understand why he even agree to include 'em.

I like to think that (among these boards anyway) that I am the bigger Joe Hill fan...

But what has been said above isn't totally invalid.

There certainly is a level of manufactured success... that is a great way of putting it Bob. I think the same of the show Glee. While I think it's a great show, there is a lot more hype to the show than actual satisfaction.

Now when it comes to Hill's work, 20th Century Ghosts was unexpectedly amazing. There was a quality to the stories that made it better than a standard "ghost story." The title is incredibly fitting. If you guys haven't read it, try looking up Pop Art. Or Best New Fiction.

Now, if we are comparing it to Night Shift, sure, it might pale in comparison. Night Shift has stood the test of time, for sure. But who says that 20thCG won't as well? I think that publishers look at Hill as a ticket to fast cash. And people, like me, will pay for his signed limited editions... doesn't matter how good it is. I loved Thumbprint. I love his short stories... I think they are great. Pop Art is one of my favorite short stories of all time, and I have a BA in Comparative Literature so that speaks volumes to the amount of reading I do.

When it comes to Heart Shaped Box - I have to agree with Bob. I wasn't incredibly impressed... but it was his first novel and I am forgiving of that. Did that one novel deserve the attention that he now gets? No way. But Hill went out of his way to distance himself from King to make a path of his own in the beginning. A lot less than we can say from our little Owen King who seems to have gone the way of Tabitha with his fame and yet made sure to ride on Stephen's coat tails (IMO).

It's a great point to bring up, though. Making that list of Joe Hill SL's I thought, "Wow... he's done WAY more than I thought!" And as a collector it's annoying as I thought I had them all - or most.

Let's hope that he slows down with the signings and sharpens up on the writing... but this is a great discussion topic. Thank you, Bob.

Patrick
09-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I think it is pretty simple.

Fans are buying the S/L's because they appreciate Hill's writing and perhaps like the man himself as well.

Speculators are driving up prices by buying the S/L's because of the fame of Hill's father.

Dolan
09-27-2009, 06:54 PM

Fans are buying the S/L's because they appreciate Hill's writing and perhaps like the man himself as well.

Speculators are driving up prices by buying the S/L's because of the fame of Hill's father.

Exaclty... 2 types of collectors. Well said, Patrick.

Patrick
09-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks, Kenny. By the way, I agree with you about 20th CENTURY GHOSTS. I thought it was a fantastic short story collection.

Also, it might be worth mentioning that Joe Hill signed some of the various hardcover S/L's from the small print presses before he gained fame and while he was trying to establish himself on his own credentials rather than simply ride on his father's coattails.

DavidK44
09-27-2009, 07:25 PM
I started collecting Hill books before the news of his parentage broke. I first read 'Voluntary Committal' from SubPress, and got a complimentary copy of '20th Century Ghosts' as part of a package deal from SubPress. After reading that, I picked up the slipcased version of the book immediately, and began to track down other published stories of his. I got about half of them before they disappeared after news of his relationship with King broke, just prior to 'Heart-shaped Box' publication. While 'Heart-shaped Box' wasn't quite as good as '20th Century Ghosts', it was still a very strong first novel. I saw him as one of the most promising of the current crop of new writers. His relationship to his father has quite muddied the waters (so to speak), and in some respects clouded over the worth of his own output.

Right now I'd say that Joe's certainly not as strong a novelist as his father was at the same age (Carrie is better than Heart-shaped Box), but I'd argue that he's a better short-story writer than his father was at the same stage. King improved dramatically after 'Carrie' as a novelist; who's to say that Hill won't also? Given what we've all seen with 20th Century Ghosts, I think he's got lots of innate talent and style, and the best is still to come.

I don't really care much how many limiteds and signeds he's produced - the only way that matters is for the monetary value as collectables - but rather how strong these earliest works are. It's the words that matter, not the housing they come in.

Just my $0.02

Regards, DavidK

Rahfa
09-27-2009, 07:31 PM

I sort of see the LARGER number being the speculators...and I think there are fewer "fans" actually buying all those s/l editions.

I've liked his stories, and I think he's a good writer - but is he better than Dennis Etchison, who has toiled in relative obscurity for years? Who knows...it's not a fair argument. And it's not even that fair to Joe to make any such comparisons, but then this is the profession he chose, so...

I'm with the 'manufactured success' to a point. He earned some level of success on his own, but this superstar status is absolutely because of SK. But I'm sure we'd all agree that no talent = no sales, regardless of neptotism. I actually like Owen King's writing a little bit more, and I'm not sure he's done any more or less 'coattail riding' than Joe...I mean, he didn't change his name, but is he supposed to? If anything, he tried to write more 'literary fiction,' not the supernatural stuff that would make an SK-OK connection even more overt.

As a collector, I'm actually pretty happy with all these s/l editions, because if it were one or two, I might speculate, but there are so many that I'm leaving them for the fans. I'll get signed trade editions when I can, and that will good enough for me.

These publishers know their market - obsessive fans who get it in their head that they need to have every example of something, of which I am a card-carrying member - and they are totally milking a sellable product in a bad economy. If Joe's oversaturated s/l market can keep these little presses in business, then more power to him.

As far as short stories go...I just re-read "Night Shift" and the original "Stand." SK, in those books, made most authors look like they are writing grocery lists. Nothing against Joe, but he's not in the category to even deserve a comparison. SK was competing against Lovecraft and Poe, and beating them at the game they made...

Patrick
09-27-2009, 07:38 PM

I sort of see the LARGER number being the speculators...and I think there are fewer "fans" actually buying all those s/l editions.
No one knows the relative percentages between the two groups, but certainly the speculators are causing some of the fans to be priced out of the market. For example, there are certain of the S/L's that I do not own because the prices are ridiculously high.

Rahfa
09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah, but if the actual market is made up of speculators, than the normal "fan" was never the intended customer anyway...and they're charging more because the fan was probably never going to pay...

Overall, I see it sort of like Bob did above - is he such a super bestselling author that he can handle a market of all these s/l editions? I mean, Peter Straub was never able to maintain this level. Heck, 'maintain?' He never reached it...

So I just think the "fan involvement" with these s/ls are more minimal than maybe we think...I think it's a lot of speculators buying to flip to other speculators. NOT all, obviously, but many. People bought million dollar overvalued condos because they thought another speculator would pay a dollar more - not because a family was actually going to move in.

But who knows...just talking out my ass...haha...

Patrick
09-27-2009, 08:42 PM
I think we're pretty much in agreement, Rahfa, except that I think the fan base is there. However the speculators are doing exactly as you say and icing out many of the fans.

One thing worth pointing out is that the quantities of books in each of these S/Ls is much lower than what you tend to see with his dad's books.

Also Joe Hill's signature is especially easy to fake, and that motivates people to buy his S/Ls rather than flatsigned editions.

Dolan
09-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Also Joe Hill's signature is especially easy to fake, and that motivates people to buy his S/Ls rather than flatsigned editions.

I have seen the slight (or not so slight) change in his signature since 2004... anyone else see the change? It's gotten a bit larger, for one