PDA

View Full Version : HBO Max

Pages : [1] 2

mae
07-09-2019, 10:33 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-09/at-t-capitalizes-on-hbo-brand-with-its-competitor-to-netflix?srnd=premium

AT&T Inc. is relying on HBO and a little help from “Friends” to anchor its new streaming service, an attempt to challenge Netflix Inc.

The company’s WarnerMedia division announced Tuesday that it will call the online platform “HBO Max,” following through on a pledge to make the premium network the heart of its streaming strategy. It also said the sitcom “Friends” -- currently a popular show on Netflix -- will be going to the new service, which is slated to debut next spring.

AT&T acquired Time Warner for $85 billion last year, and the new streaming service is a key test of its efforts to capitalize on a sprawling telecom and media empire. It’s racing with Walt Disney Co. and Comcast Corp.’s NBCUniversal, which are also launching new streaming services.

All three companies are playing catch-up to Netflix, which has nearly 150 million customers for its streaming service. Netflix already operates around the world, while the new products will start in the U.S. HBO Max also is coming later than originally expected: WarnerMedia had previously been aiming to release the service at the end of this year.

But Netflix will have to replace many of its popular rerun series as those shows go to other platforms. The company’s stock dipped on the news that “Friends” would be leaving, and Netflix lamented the move on Twitter.

HBO Max will include 10,000 hours of programming from across the WarnerMedia group of networks and studios, including the new DC Comics show “Batwoman,” reruns of “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air” and “Pretty Little Liars,” documentaries from CNN, kids’ programming from Cartoon Network and anime from Crunchyroll.

“HBO Max will bring together the diverse riches of WarnerMedia to create programming and user experiences not seen before in a streaming platform,” Bob Greenblatt, chairman of WarnerMedia’s entertainment and direct-to-consumer operations, said in a statement.

WarnerMedia Chief Executive Officer John Stankey has said HBO Max will build on HBO, which has 35 million customers in the U.S. The network has a library that includes “The Sopranos,” “Sex and the City” and “Game of Thrones.” Upcoming HBO shows include a science-fiction program created by producer Joss Whedon, a satire from “Veep” creator Armando Iannucci, and a horror series produced by J.J. Abrams and Jordan Peele.

Greenblatt will try to lure new customers to HBO Max with new original series and movies exclusive to the service. Kevin Reilly will oversee the development of those originals series, and has already ordered more than half a dozen shows. Actress Anna Kendrick will star in a romantic-comedy series, and Kaley Cuoco, from Warner Bros.’ “The Big Bang Theory,” will appear in a thriller produced by Greg Berlanti.

Berlanti scored one of the richest deals in TV history last year, part of a growing arms race for Hollywood talent. WarnerMedia touted its deals with Berlanti and actress Reese Witherspoon, both of whom will produce original series for the service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCS4CaZ9dwg

Merlin1958
07-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Very interesting!! At least AT&T realizes they aren't capable of doing this on their own (took them long enough) and are handing off to the pro's. I just hope they don't screw current hbo subscribers by shifting everything to the new service and abandoning the tried and true HBO. I'd probably look into subscribing to this service. Thanks for posting, Mae!!! You rock!!! :dance:

mae
07-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Not sure how true this is but I'd love it:

https://tvline.com/2019/07/02/warner-streaming-service-name-hbo-max-explained/

all of HBO’s current subscribers are expected to be automatically enrolled in the new streaming service

Merlin1958
07-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Not sure how true this is but I'd love it:

https://tvline.com/2019/07/02/warner-streaming-service-name-hbo-max-explained/

all of HBO’s current subscribers are expected to be automatically enrolled in the new streaming service

Cool beans!!!!

MikeDuke
07-09-2019, 11:49 AM
Can someone please explain how switching to streaming would work. I mean, right now I have Comcast and when I I want to watch HBO I go to the HBO numbers on my cable box. What would I do now? Sorry, but I don't have any streaming services at all so it's new to me.

mae
07-09-2019, 12:01 PM
If you have an HBO subscription now you can stream HBO at hbogo.com. Just log in with your TV provider credentials.

fernandito
07-09-2019, 12:30 PM
I'm surprised they didn't think of this sooner. They have a slew of prestigious award winning shows on deck, + some enticing original content, I can see them doing well for themselves.

The only issue now is dilution... Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney, now HBO. Only so much time and money to go around, and Netflix already has a considerable lead. We'll see.

MikeDuke
07-09-2019, 12:39 PM
If you have an HBO subscription now you can stream HBO at hbogo.com. Just log in with your TV provider credentials.
So I would need to find that out first. I don't know what that is. Hopefully HBO sends out letters saying they are doing this. So I would go on line through a browser to log in? Again,
I am new to this. If these are basic questions, sorry :redface:. Plus is this an either or thing (can I keep on doing it through my cable box?). Or is this the only way to get HBO, maybe.

mae
07-09-2019, 12:48 PM
So I would need to find that out first. I don't know what that is. Hopefully HBO sends out letters saying they are doing this. So I would go on line through a browser to log in? Again,
I am new to this. If these are basic questions, sorry :redface:. Plus is this an either or thing (can I keep on doing it through my cable box?). Or is this the only way to get HBO, maybe.

Do you have a Comcast login? Or do you just get a paper bill from them and that's it? If you're not sure, give them a call. But yes, once you have your Comcast login, go to hbogo.com in any browser (or download the app for a tablet) and get logged in. Then you can stream lots of new and older movies plus most of HBO's original programming.

MikeDuke
07-09-2019, 03:34 PM

Do you have a Comcast login? Or do you just get a paper bill from them and that's it? If you're not sure, give them a call. But yes, once you have your Comcast login, go to hbogo.com in any browser (or download the app for a tablet) and get logged in. Then you can stream lots of new and older movies plus most of HBO's original programming.
I am sorry, but that is ridiculous. "Forcing" me to stream is just crazy. I only have one TV that has access to the internet. The other one does not. Then, I am relying on a solid connection through the internet? I think not. If HBO does this and does not allow you to keep physical boxes, then I guess I am going to cancel HBO.

mae
07-09-2019, 03:35 PM
I'm sure the cable channels aren't going away any time soon. This is an extra.

MikeDuke
07-10-2019, 04:52 AM
I'm sure the cable channels aren't going away any time soon. This is an extra.
If it's an extra, then that's great for people who want it.
Thanks Mae.

MikeDuke
07-10-2019, 08:39 AM
OK. I will leave. Sorry if I am not as quick on the uptake and had questions.

Still Servant
07-13-2019, 05:37 PM

I am sorry, but that is ridiculous. "Forcing" me to stream is just crazy. I only have one TV that has access to the internet. The other one does not. Then, I am relying on a solid connection through the internet? I think not. If HBO does this and does not allow you to keep physical boxes, then I guess I am going to cancel HBO.

You will most certainly still be able to watch HBO via your cable box. HBO is responding to the growing number of "Cord Cutters" people who no longer subscribe to cable. Last quarter, more people dumped cable and satellite than ever before. The number was staggering, in the 6 figures I believe. I might be off though. Either way, the writing is on the wall.

mae
10-29-2019, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eASkqrwdg7Y

HBO Max has made some big announcements with regard to their DC plans, very exciting. Also, if you subscribe to regular HBO via AT&T (like me) or have HBO Now, you will get free access to HBO Max:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/29/att-hbo-max-improve-tv-wireless-customer-retention/40452893/

AT&T is giving its customers a reason to subscribe to HBO through one of its various channels.

The 10 million HBO subscribers that pay for it through their AT&T TV or wireless bill, or pay WarnerMedia directly for HBO Now, will get access to HBO Max at no extra charge when it launches in April, COO John Stankey told Reuters. In the long term, the company hopes HBO Max will help retain wireless subscribers, according to executives cited by Reuters.

AT&T is well versed in bundling. After acquiring DIRECTV and launching DIRECTV Now (which is now called AT&T TV Now), the company aggressively bundled its over-the-top service with its wireless service. It's eased off since, merely pushing a skinny bundle of linear television channels on its unlimited wireless data plan subscribers.

The move to offer Max to HBO subscribers that also subscribe to one of AT&T's many television services or its wireless service is a bit different. HBO subscribers should already have a strong interest in HBO Max, although there seems to be some hesitancy. Providing the 10 million AT&T customers with HBO a free upgrade could help seed the customer base and get people talking about it, improving HBO subscriber retention (now that "Game of Thrones" and "Veep" are done) on top of keeping those customers with AT&T for their television or wireless phone needs.

Stankey also hinted at the possibility of creating a new bundle for HBO Max with one of AT&T's wireless plans. The company already technically offers such a plan; its high-end unlimited data plan includes a subscription to one of several streaming options, including HBO Now. Those customers that currently take HBO Now ought to qualify for the HBO Max upgrade when the service launches next spring. But a lower-priced plan with just an option for HBO Max could increase uptake and reduce churn for AT&T.

That said, MoffettNathanson analyst Craig Moffett pointed out to Reuters that "AT&T hasn't seen any more improvement (in churn) with wireless/video bundling than Verizon has seen without it."

Verizon notably just announced a partnership with Disney to offer its unlimited wireless data customers a free year of Disney+. The move may have been preemptive to combat incentives AT&T might provide customers interested in HBO Max.

A spokesperson confirmed to Reuters that HBO Now subscribers who signed up directly with WarnerMedia are eligible for the upgrade in April. In all likelihood, that means the company will launch HBO Max at $14.99 per month, the same price as HBO Now.

It could, however, result in two different prices for the service. One price for consumers subscribing directly with AT&T, and another for those that subscribe through an aggregation service like Amazon Channels or Apple TV Channels.

AT&T is building HBO Max for scale. It expects to reach 80 million subscribers by 2025, with 50 million of those in the United States. As such, it expects to create efficiencies in costs of delivering the service and handling customers. The value of aggregation services for distribution is greatly diminished when a service has scale. That's why none of the big over-the-top services are available on the aggregators.

The future may see AT&T raise the price for HBO Max while keeping HBO Now's pricing the same. Or WarnerMedia may eventually pull the option to sign up for HBO from those services, even though Amazon Channels currently accounts for a large portion of HBO Now subscribers.

One of AT&T's goals with HBO Max appears to be to foster more direct customer relationships. The move to offer current HBO customers with an existing AT&T relationship a free upgrade to the service may be just the first step. But AT&T will have to balance that goal with its aim of scaling the service and how it works with other distributors.

mae
10-29-2019, 04:19 PM
https://www.cbr.com/green-lantern-series-hbo-max/

Green Lantern is soaring back to screens everywhere. HBO Max will adapt the Emerald Knight for the small screen in a new series on the streaming service.

According to Entertainment Weekly, a “Green Lantern inspired series” is in the works for HBO Max, but additional details are being kept under wraps. "In what promises to be our biggest DC show ever made, we will be going to space with a Green Lantern television series, but I can’t reveal any more about that just yet,” producer Greg Berlanti teased in a statement.

Berlanti, the mastermind behind The CW's Arrowverse, took a first crack at the Green Lantern franchise back in 2011 alongside Arrow co-creator Marc Guggenheim. They co-wrote Green Lantern, though they ultimately lost creative control before its release. The film, which starred Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan, was a critical and box office flop.

Following this, Berlanti went on to produce Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Batwoman and Black Lightning for The CW. Additionally, he will have a hand in Superman and Lois as well as Green Arrow and the Canaries. He is also attached to DC Universe's Titans, Doom Patrol and Stargirl.

https://www.cbr.com/strange-adventures-adam-strange-hbo-max/

Today HBO Max announced that a Strange Adventures series starring Adam Strange is heading to the streaming service.

"One more for @DCComics fans. In partnership w/ @GBerlanti we're excited to bring to series the beloved Green Lantern AND intro audiences to Strange Adventures, about "man of two worlds" Adam Strange, an archaeologist-turned-intergalactic-hero when he's zeta-beamed to planet Rann," the HBO Max official Twitter account revealed this evening.

Strange Adventures is an anthology series that explores “close-ended morality tales about the intersecting lives of mortals and super-humans.” It will be a one-hour series produced by Greg Berlanti, who helped launched The CW's Arrowverse. A Green Lantern series is also heading to HBO Max.

“Both of these original DC properties we’ll be creating for HBO Max will be unlike anything seen on television,” Berlanti said in a statement. “An anthology series of cautionary tales set in a world where superpowers exist, and, in what promises to be our biggest DC show ever made, we will be going to space with a Green Lantern television series, but I can’t reveal any more about that just yet.”

Executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and showrunner/writer John Stephens, Strange Adventures currently does not have a release date.

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-max-orders-dc-high-school-comedy-elizabeth-banks/

HBO Max has given a series order to DC Super Hero High, a new comedy series from Elizabeth Banks that will be available exclusively on the streaming service.

According to TVLine, the half-hour comedy will focus on a group of teenagers attending a boarding school for gifted children. The synopsis reads:

These teens are just trying to navigate the pressures of high school, but none of them realize that someday they will become legendary DC Super Heroes.

Banks will serve as executive producer, with Scott Weinger serving as writer and EP. No casting announcements were made, and no release date has been given. However, the streaming service will launch in May 2020.

HBO Max is truly going all in with DC Comics programming. In addition to streaming every DC Comics live-action film from the last 40 years, the service also announced new series based around Adam Strange and Green Lantern. HBO Max is also expected to house HBO's new Watchmen series, as well The CW's Batwoman.

DC Super Hero High is executive produced by Elizabeth Banks and Scott Weinger, and will stream on HBO Max. The series currently has no release date or cast.

mae
10-30-2019, 07:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qZWcs7jZp4

Still Servant
10-30-2019, 01:10 PM
What if you are just a normal HBO subscriber through your cable and not through AT&T?

mae
10-30-2019, 01:20 PM
Then no. I believe it’s free only if you subscribe to HBO via AT&T (former DirecTV) or HBO Now. Also, one huge thing Grace forgot to mention in her video is that HBO Max will have the whole Studio Ghibli library.

Lurker
10-30-2019, 02:02 PM
I have Directv thro AT&T and HBO so I will be interested to see if I get it. But I have NO interest in paying for it.

mae
10-30-2019, 02:13 PM
And another huge thing, HBO Max will have classic and brand new Looney Tunes cartoons!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK541L5x_IY

mae
10-30-2019, 02:56 PM
Holy god they will have 50 (fifty) seasons of Sesame Street!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtzWQm_TKj4

DanHocker
10-31-2019, 11:49 AM
Hmm all the DC news with HBO Max makes me wonder if they're going to kill the DC specific streaming service in favor of rolling everything into HBO Max. Which would honestly make the most sense. Why own 2 different streaming services competing with each other.

mae
10-31-2019, 12:29 PM
The DC Universe service also has tens of thousands of comics, so it’s similar to Marvel Unlimited, which is separate from Disney+.

Mattrick
11-01-2019, 02:16 AM
All this talk about DC crap and no mention of South Park and the rumoured 500M bidding war over the streaming rights? It's literally the only thing that matters here. I just want to know what South Park was licensed for!

Jon
11-01-2019, 02:20 AM
Then, I am relying on a solid connection through the internet? I think not.

Don't sweat this detail, MD. Streaming service reliability has improved immensely in even the last 5 years. I live out in "the sticks" and my streaming services are more reliable than cable, and has been for quite some time (Comcast.)

mae
11-01-2019, 03:33 AM
All this talk about DC crap and no mention of South Park and the rumoured 500M bidding war over the streaming rights? It's literally the only thing that matters here. I just want to know what South Park was licensed for!

I'm not a South Park fan but the last video I posted did get into SP a lot, yes every season of South Park will be available, and future seasons too.

DanHocker
11-04-2019, 09:02 AM
The DC Universe service also has tens of thousands of comics, so it’s similar to Marvel Unlimited, which is separate from Disney+.

Right but Marvel Unlimited doesn't have streaming video, just comics. So wouldn't it make sense for DC Universe to be made into something just the same and move all their streaming video under one umbrella?

mae
11-04-2019, 09:37 AM
Maybe. Or maybe that's how they wish to distinguish themselves from MU.

DanHocker
11-04-2019, 11:15 AM
Maybe. Or maybe that's how they wish to distinguish themselves from MU.

True. But I don't really think there's much need to on that front. Marvel and DC comics have pretty much held the same amount of "market share" for years when it comes to the comic books. For me at least it would make much more sense for them to put all their video streaming content in one basket. Then again WB has been making all sorts of weird decisions with the DC video brand lately.

mae
02-26-2020, 03:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDkBOB3gkgE

St. Troy
02-27-2020, 10:46 AM
Oof - Friends. The ultimate way to discourage me from watching.

mae
04-21-2020, 05:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yLNhhHs3-k

mae
04-21-2020, 05:37 AM
AT&T and Charter clients with an HBO subscription will be upgraded to HBO Max free:

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/hbo-max-launch-date-price-streaming-1234585776/

mae
04-21-2020, 05:40 AM
They also just uploaded the first trailers for some of the original content:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXYwR5gDb34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZp_g271jpo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bgVmjX86bQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXzRha-pKLw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nalw1XRAiMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpsiesXLp14

mae
05-13-2020, 05:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6AM7BJ_IpQ

Merlin1958
05-14-2020, 08:53 AM
You know, this thing really disturbs me. I've been an HBO subscriber since the beginning and content as far as movies has declined somewhat, but the original content shows have held it up there. Now it would seem that some of the resources normally assigned to the regular HBO are being diverted to this new service and I scream NO FAIR!!!

I will admit I'm not "up to date" on the news and goals of the working of HBO/HBO MAX, but its owned by AT&T which is a fucking train wreck in the entertainment industry so far IMHO, so it doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. In fact, I get the feeling they're lubing up to screw me once again!!! lol

Anyone well versed in the proposed direction and goals for this new service?

mae
05-14-2020, 09:07 AM
Good news, though, Bill. If you currently have a regular HBO subscription with your AT&T (DirecTV) package, you'll get HBO Max free.

Merlin1958
05-14-2020, 10:17 AM
Good news, though, Bill. If you currently have a regular HBO subscription with your AT&T (DirecTV) package, you'll get HBO Max free.

Well, that is good news, but with AT&T I have to wonder "for how long". So Okay, and pardon me for being a block head, this will not appear as a new "channel" will it? It will only be viewable thru my "Apple TV" device correct?

mae
05-14-2020, 10:28 AM
Yeah I imagine there will be apps you can install or access it online with a browser. This will be like Netflix or Disney+.

Merlin1958
05-14-2020, 11:42 AM
Yeah I imagine there will be apps you can install or access it online with a browser. This will be like Netflix or Disney+.

Thanks for all the info, Mae. I really appreciate you taking the time.

Still Servant
05-18-2020, 04:17 PM
I can't believe it, but I'm with Bill. I don't think it's fair that people who have HBO through AT&T will get HBO Max, when I've had HBO as part of my cable package since before AT&T ever got into the cable business. I'm inclined to cancel my HBO subscription altogether.

mae
05-18-2020, 04:50 PM
https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2020/05/hbo-max-long-list-movies-watch-on-streaming

In an effort to get some of your sweet, sweet streaming cash before you eventually burn out (not there yet) HBO is launching HBO Max on May 27.

While Disney+ has The Mandalorian, The Simpsons, plus their own movies, and Netflix has their originals, HBO Max's pitch is that they'll live up to their acronym by offering up a shit ton of films to subscribers willing to plop down the $14.99 monthly fee.

The Verge adds that all of these films won't be available upon the service's launch, but most will. So if you're a cinema buff who appreciates the classics, this seems like a worthy investment.

HBO Max will launch with over 700 movies available from the outset. In addition to the rundown of classics, the catalog will contain DC Universe films, and pretty much every big release that's run on the main channel in recent years.

In addition to iconic films being a part of the package, HBO Max will also be the home to the every episode of Friends, in addition to every series from their own network (makes sense), like Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, etc.

The Verge adds that the service will feature shows from "TBS, TNT, and more." And, like every streaming service, the catalog will expand (and probably contract in a few places) as time goes on.

As for what, specifically, they're briging to the streaming arms race, here's a very long list of films from Warner Bros. and the Criterion Collection that have been confirmed to be making their way(s) to the new service (via The Verge).

A huge addition of the Criterion Collection. Wonder if I should then cancel my Criterion Channel subscription...

Lookwhoitis
05-20-2020, 08:56 AM
seems like everything is going the way of streaming nowadays. I'm planning on finally cutting the cable cord on the launch of HBO Max. I've bought HBO along with a cable subscription for a lot of years, but now with the pandemic, being out of work, and potential cancelling of live sports, I'm axing cable and going all streaming

currently subscribing to

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Hulu

and adding HBO Max

mae
05-26-2020, 06:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS8hHeKS178

mae
05-26-2020, 03:50 PM
Some last-minute updates on who gets HBO Max for free:

https://www.hbomax.com/

Subscribers who get HBO through AT&T TV, DIRECTV, AT&T U-Verse, Hulu, Spectrum, Altice, Suddenlink, Optimum, Cox Contour, Verizon Fios TV and select independent cable and broadband providers will get access to HBO Max at launch (at no extra cost). Check back with us here as we add additional partners to the list.

Ricky
05-26-2020, 04:14 PM
No Comcast/Xfinity?

cit74
05-27-2020, 07:08 AM
I have ATT, directV and have paid/subscribed to HBO for years - tried to log onto app today and I get message that they cannot verify my subscription through DirectV, tried using ATT - no luck either. Then tried calling att/directv - after 10 minutes on hold I am headed to work. Has anyone had success getting onto app? or have some sort of trouble shooting page that they've found?

cit74
05-27-2020, 07:10 AM
https://play.hbomax.com/page/urn:hbo:page:home?reentered=true&userProfileType=liteUserProfile&postToTokensPayload=%7B%22grant_type%22%3A%22user_ authenticator_login_hbomax%22%2C%22authenticatorLo ginData%22%3A%22eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1Ni J9.eyJhdXRoZW50aWNhdGlvblByb3ZpZGVyIjoic3luYWNvckJ yaWRnZUF1dGhuIiwicGxhdGZvcm1UZW5hbnRDb2RlIjoiaGJvR GlyZWN0IiwicHJvZHVjdENvZGUiOiJoYm9NYXgiLCJhZmZpbGl hdGVDb2RlIjoiQVRUX0JVTkRMRSIsIm9wYXF1ZUlkIjoidXVpZ DU2NTRhY2E3LTAxNzItMTdlMS1hNzY1LThjM2ZhZGUyMDgwZSI sIm1hc3Rlck9wYXF1ZUlkIjoiIiwic2FtbFNlc3Npb25JbmRle CI6InV1aWQ1NmFlNmIzMi0wMTcyLTE0ZWQtYTczYS1jM2VlM2F iMDgwMjQiLCJzYW1sTmFtZUlkIjoidXVpZDU2NTRhY2E3LTAxN zItMTdlMS1hNzY1LThjM2ZhZGUyMDgwZSIsImNyZWF0ZVRpbWV zdGFtcCI6MTU5MDU5MjE2OTc0NSwidXNlclByb2ZpbGVUeXBlI joibGl0ZVVzZXJQcm9maWxlIiwiY29udGFjdEVtYWlsIjoiY2h hZHRhcnRlckBzYmNnbG9iYWwubmV0IiwiZmlyc3ROYW1lIjoiQ 0hBRCIsImxhc3ROYW1lIjoiVEFSVEVSIiwicHJldmVudFJlcGx heUF0dGFja1RpbWVzdGFtcCI6MTU5MDU5MjE3ODU2MX0.UvIEa 1X4YZW4DvxUeTN2bhdZ7K5EH4ThaDSsGpQhbS4%22%7D

here's the message I get

mae
05-27-2020, 07:38 AM
I have ATT, directV and have paid/subscribed to HBO for years - tried to log onto app today and I get message that they cannot verify my subscription through DirectV, tried using ATT - no luck either. Then tried calling att/directv - after 10 minutes on hold I am headed to work. Has anyone had success getting onto app? or have some sort of trouble shooting page that they've found?

What actual subscription do you have? Is it a former DirecTV (now AT&T) satellite with HBO? Then you shouldn't have an issue. I have AT&T TV Now, a live streaming service, with HBO, and logged in fine.

becca69
05-27-2020, 07:47 AM
No Comcast/Xfinity?

Right? I'm going to say we're screwed. Just like Starz.

St. Troy
05-27-2020, 07:51 AM
I have ATT, directV and have paid/subscribed to HBO for years - tried to log onto app today and I get message that they cannot verify my subscription through DirectV, tried using ATT - no luck either.

I gather they have no trouble whatsoever figuring out exactly who you are and where to find you when the bill is printed (I love how that works, don't you? :emot-flame:).

St. Troy
05-27-2020, 07:52 AM
Some last-minute updates on who gets HBO Max for free:

https://www.hbomax.com/

Subscribers who get HBO through AT&T TV, DIRECTV, AT&T U-Verse, Hulu, Spectrum, Altice, Suddenlink, Optimum, Cox Contour, Verizon Fios TV and select independent cable and broadband providers will get access to HBO Max at launch (at no extra cost).

I wonder if "at launch" means temporarily, and if so, for how long?

cit74
05-27-2020, 08:02 AM
Yeah I’m a former directv - now att w hbo subscriber - still can’t get on. Spent 15 min on hold - finally spoke w someone who confirmed I have hbo and pay for it and should have hbo Max - couldn’t help me beyond that. Still can’t get in. Will try after work - I’m sure it won’t work and then I’ll wait on phone again…

mae
05-27-2020, 08:14 AM
You may need to log onto att.com with your account and activate HBO Max, mine was already active and I didn't need to do anything but I believe some people do:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HBOMAX/comments/gri0w3/if_youre_having_issues_with_signing_in_with_att/

St. Troy
05-27-2020, 08:21 AM

Thanks for all the info, Mae. I really appreciate you taking the time.

I'll echo this; Mae seems to be doing a better job of making this work for people than HBO.

Merlin1958
05-27-2020, 09:30 AM
My guess would be that like, Disney they did not have all there shit together for the rollout. Matter of fact, from my experience dealing with DTV since, AT&T purchased them I woul;d say that they DEFINITELY do not have their shit together yet and probably won't for at least another week. Same would apply to trying to call for help. They are likely innundated with calls (and they're a fucking phone company at heart!!! lol) and will have long waits and disconnects.

Come back and try in a week to 10 days.

On a side note, say a prayer for the majority of their employee's who I've found to be knowledgeable, courteous and professional despite the constant corporate fuck ups!!!! lol

Joe315
05-27-2020, 10:48 AM
Worked for me with Hulu.

cit74
05-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Thanks Mae - just got home and saw your posts - of course when I log on to my ATT account that HBO Max isn't even listed as an option...doh - so I will try and see where else I can activate it 0 and then call again - just for the sheer torture of it all...

mae
05-27-2020, 03:59 PM
You're welcome, hope you are streaming as we speak! There's so much, the TCM section alone is worth it for me, love the classics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_eLf2D0vDE

cit74
05-27-2020, 04:07 PM
well Ive been on the phone for close to an hour now - still unable to log on - we've changed password, tried multiple times, etc - seems like I am on off a lucky few where this is an issue. and oh by the way - the department that specifically deals with online issues like these has been shut down since the pandemic and not reopened yet. but the customer service woman I've been on with for nearly an hour has been helpful - but no go...shes trying to get me a promo code for free 30 days - until issue gets fixed

mae
05-27-2020, 04:14 PM
Sorry to hear... Since you're already paying for HBO as part of your TV package, HBO Max should be free, so is it like for a free 30-day trial kinda thing? Cause right now there is a 7-day trial.

cit74
05-27-2020, 04:21 PM
we tried the promo thing - unfortunately the website also wanted my CC info to start billing after 30 days - I said nope - this was the first time the woman on customer service had to go through the process - so she didn't know we would need CC info (she laughed and said she was sorry - she wouldn't have given the cc info either). so no access as of right now. It is a known issue - in case you are a Directv/Att customer. Basically check back in a week if it still does not recognize me. Seems like ATT/directv forgot to flip a switch somewhere. But she did try everything for an hour - but nothing worked...so we will see and I'll update you all if anything works, if there is a fix, etc - or when it comes online

not sure if them linking all of these accounts kinda screwed things up. when I log into directv it automatically reroutes to ATT website, etc...

Lookwhoitis
05-27-2020, 11:57 PM
what are you trying to activate it on? I had an issue that kept getting me error messages because i had adblock and privacy badger turned on. and it would not take the activation code from my xbox. After i deactivated them for the website it worked. If you are trying to activate from a PC i would check that.

cit74
05-28-2020, 07:08 AM
nothing to do with ad blocker - I keep getting message that says unable to verify subscription form provider...this is my first world dilemma...now starts day 2 :doh::cry:

we all know this will not magically correct on its own - but I am off a few days next week and will call again...

mae
05-28-2020, 07:32 AM
Keep us informed and good luck, hope they'll be able to sort this out for you soon and you can enjoy your content! I'm really liking it, and as a free upgrade, to boot!

Lookwhoitis
05-28-2020, 07:38 AM
I'm kind of miffed at HBO max because im paying for it twice at the moment lol. I signed up on 5/21 to get the 12 month discount rate locked in and it started me an HBO Now subscription that converted to HBO MAX on the 27th. I'm paying for my cable service sub until 6/4. i even called customer service and they wouldn't credit me for the week even though i did not know signing up would immediately create me an HBO NOW acct which was redundant.

Garrell
05-28-2020, 07:11 PM
Just signed on for the free 7 day trial thru my tv with the app. Was simple and will cancel it before the trial ends. The Outsider for free!!!

cit74
05-29-2020, 06:17 AM
Oh happy day - tried this morning and completely different screen - linked my account, sent a code and logged right in. It works now. Looks like att/directv figured it out

mae
05-29-2020, 07:16 AM
Oh happy day - tried this morning and completely different screen - linked my account, sent a code and logged right in. It works now. Looks like att/directv figured it out

Sweet! Congrats. There is so much stuff to enjoy, been watching some classic cartoons and movies. As for originals, I usually wait for the season to complete, because all HBO Max originals will follow the weekly model, like regular HBO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIBZoPre4Co

cit74
05-29-2020, 07:27 AM
thanks for all the updates and help...I really like it - Steph loves Harry Potter so she was psyched, Caleb always watches looney toons and we all enjoy Studio Ghibli - and I was ready to order some more movies - but the few (outside the mainstream ones) are all there :0

Heather19
05-29-2020, 07:55 AM
No Comcast/Xfinity?

Yeah, that's absurd. I've been paying for HBO thru them for years, doesn't make sense why they would only give it some and not others.

mae
05-29-2020, 08:15 AM
No Comcast/Xfinity?

Yeah, that's absurd. I've been paying for HBO thru them for years, doesn't make sense why they would only give it some and not others.

Actually, they reached a last-minute deal with AT&T, y'all are good to go: https://www.xfinity.com/hub/tv-video/hbo-max-on-xfinity

Heather19
05-29-2020, 08:17 AM
No Comcast/Xfinity?

Actually, they reached a last-minute deal with AT&T, y'all are good to go: https://www.xfinity.com/hub/tv-video/hbo-max-on-xfinity

Awesome, thanks Mae!

Merlin1958
05-29-2020, 11:56 AM
Huh, I just signed in to HBOMAX and it was surprisingly easy. I'm a Directv customer and view streaming on an AppleTV device. It was a little goofy having to go and create an account via my PC after setting up on the Apple device as an existing customer, but not too much of a hassle. So, Now I have added a ton of shit to another device and service that I used to get all in one place!!! lol Or, together with my DVD collection. Of course now I don't have to get off my fat ass to watch the movie, but I do have to figure out who the fuck is streaming it!! LOL

In all seriousness though this is getting ridiculous and expensive. I pay $100+ a month for DTV and the sports packages are extra. Then I have Disney+, Amazon prime and Netflix. And now HBOMAX which is free to me (for now I'm sure). Fortunately, my daughter and I split subscriptions. She pays for Netflix and gives me her PW and I pay for Amazon and give her mine. I pay for Disney+ and share it with my grandson's, but my son doesn't pitch in yet. It's becoming a really complicated deal to watch fucking "Friends"!! lol Just kidding about "Friends", but seriously in the past I really never gave a fuck who made the movie or TV show. Now I gotta be versed in networks, studio's and what not. lol And BONUS none of these guys have anything new except the old, HBO, Starz and Showtime I've had for years!!! lol

Ain't technology grand??? lol lol

mae
05-29-2020, 01:07 PM
Bill, use JustWatch to see who's streaming what, and what's being added daily:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/new?providers=amp,dnp,hbg,hbm,hlu,nfx

cit74
05-29-2020, 02:30 PM

once again Mae - you are awesome

and guess what - there is an app for that too - downloaded the app, selected only streaming services that we use and viola - pretty sweet

mae
05-29-2020, 02:37 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnBcmnTLlf914v6/giphy.gif

Still Servant
05-29-2020, 03:09 PM
Just Watch is a great app. I'm so glad Mae told me about it.

Still Servant
05-29-2020, 03:21 PM
Hmm, so it's good to hear that Comcast subscribers were added to HBO Max. I downloaded the app and signed in with my Xfinity login info. It then made me create an HBO Max account. Then a curious message came up saying that my HBO Max subscription will be billed through my Xfinity account. That now makes me nervous that I'm going to get charged extra for HBO Max. I was under the impression that it was free with an Xfinity subscription.

If that's the case, I will be canceling.

mae
05-29-2020, 03:26 PM
It is free. It means your access to HBO Max is billed through your HBO subscription with Xfinity. As long as you keep your HBO package, you should keep HBO Max access. At least that's my understanding.

Merlin1958
05-29-2020, 04:30 PM

Who rocks? Mae does!!!! Thanks very cool site. It will definitely come in handy!!!

mae
06-01-2020, 07:59 AM
Thank you, Bill, enjoy. Here are some good movies I saw on JW that HBO Max added today:

Titanic
Full Metal Jacket
Mystic River
The Iron Giant
Misery
The Neverending Story
Elf
When Harry Met Sally
Chicago
Magic Mike
Flipped
Cabaret
A Perfect World
Lucy in the Sky
The Hunger
Splendor in the Grass
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Running on Empty
Heaven Can Wait
Personal Best
Amelie
Lights Out
Crash
Dune
Weird Science
Uncle Buck
A Monster Calls
Ray
In Her Shoes
Hanna
Doubt
U-571
The Fountain
Adventures in Babysitting
An American Werewolf in London
Beautiful Girls
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Tess
Like Water for Chocolate
The Stepfather
Home Alone
X-Men: First Class

Garrell
06-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Worst app ever. For 2 days it is just spinning 3 dots on the bottom of screen. Redbox and Netflix are fine. Even dumped the app on my TV and retried. Nothing. Thanks HBO for taking my money and not providing a service.

Lookwhoitis
06-07-2020, 05:58 AM
I've been streaming through Xbox ok.

Garrell
06-07-2020, 06:31 AM
I had to delete the app and start over to fix it

Merlin1958
06-07-2020, 12:09 PM
I haven't had any issues with it. It's kinda cool, but somewhat redundant. Though my grandson's enjoy the "Looney Tunes" on demand!!!! lol That's all, folks!!! lol

Lookwhoitis
06-08-2020, 03:37 AM
I haven't had any issues with it. It's kinda cool, but somewhat redundant. Though my grandson's enjoy the "Looney Tunes" on demand!!!! lol That's all, folks!!! lol

its kinda crazy that they replaced the gun in Elmer Fudds hand with a Grim Reaper scythe in that one cartoon. :rofl:

mae
06-11-2020, 12:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TusmSgYoDhQ

St. Troy
06-11-2020, 12:29 PM

its kinda crazy that they replaced the gun in Elmer Fudds hand with a Grim Reaper scythe in that one cartoon. :rofl:

Sign of the grievancehood times in which we live.

mae
06-11-2020, 12:55 PM
To be clear, nothing has been replaced. Old shorts are still the same. This is about the new Looney Tunes series on HBO Max, where Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam are no longer using guns.

mae
06-11-2020, 01:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-mKXB_3S8g

Merlin1958
06-13-2020, 03:49 PM
To be clear, nothing has been replaced. Old shorts are still the same. This is about the new Looney Tunes series on HBO Max, where Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam are no longer using guns.

So, how pray tell is Elmer "Hunting Wabbits"??? With a bow & arrow??? A sharp carrot??? Give me a break!!!! That means you never see, Daffy get his beak blown around backwards either!!!! I suppose the Coyote is now trying to serve the Road Runner a subpoena, right? Let's see, Acme was acquired by G.E. and now makes air bags and went "green"!!!! LOL LOL Oh, what a world!!!!! lol

fernandito
06-15-2020, 08:13 AM
That Elmer Fudd no guns thing is so freaking stupid lol

cit74
06-15-2020, 02:52 PM
It is - I told my 12 y/o son and he was like WTF?? He never killed anyone with gun - and he was a hunter...my son asked what he was going to hit Daffy with instead - and we went through the list - and he said - won't those things hurt Daffy even more than a near miss or his beak swing around? So will he "miss" with the shovel so we get the same effect? Needless to say we will just be sticking with the older looney toons....

mae
06-19-2020, 09:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sfQehgUUFQ

mae
07-03-2020, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBC0pTh6GDM

mae
07-15-2020, 04:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-og_rj0NfI

Still Servant
07-18-2020, 12:37 PM
I'm actually reading The Flight Attendant right now. I didn't even realize it was being made into a show until I watched that video.

Br!an
07-18-2020, 02:08 PM
I've watched the series Deadwood and Westworld. The movie Yesterday was pretty great. I need to watch the last couple of seasons of Six Feet Under from watching the first three seasons previously.

Is there something else I should watch before starting Game of Thrones?

mae
07-18-2020, 02:18 PM

I'm enjoying The Plot Against America. Check out Chernobyl, Euphoria, Watchmen, Doom Patrol, if you haven't yet.

Lurker
07-18-2020, 02:56 PM

No more.

"The HBO GO® app will no longer be available as of July 31. Your HBO® subscription gives you access to an alternative streaming option with the HBO Max™ app and at hbomax.com at no additional cost to you."

Still not interested.

mae
07-18-2020, 03:14 PM
But if you already have HBO then it's great and usually free. Lots of stuff to watch!

Still Servant
07-18-2020, 03:24 PM
I've watched the series Deadwood and Westworld. The movie Yesterday was pretty great. I need to watch the last couple of seasons of Six Feet Under from watching the first three seasons previously.

I would check out Barry.

Lurker
07-18-2020, 04:01 PM
But if you already have HBO then it's great and usually free. Lots of stuff to watch!

If it was something I could just punch a button on the remote a watch - fine. Downloading an app, streaming whatever - I'm too much of a Ludite. It took me several hours to hook up Bluetooth speaker to the computer. And I never figured out how to get MLB one team order on the TV and had to cancel it.

mae
07-18-2020, 04:20 PM
I just watch on my PC most of the time, honestly. Just hbomax.com.

DoctorZaius
07-19-2020, 01:16 PM

I would check out Barry.

Love Barry!

fernandito
07-20-2020, 08:39 AM
I second or third Barry. Great show.

Merlin1958
07-20-2020, 10:05 AM

If it was something I could just punch a button on the remote a watch - fine. Downloading an app, streaming whatever - I'm too much of a Ludite. It took me several hours to hook up Bluetooth speaker to the computer. And I never figured out how to get MLB one team order on the TV and had to cancel it.

As far as I know they do not offer a single team option you have to buy the entire MLB lineup in order to get your "Home" teams' games. Think it goes for around 275$ now. I have a grandfathered rate because I have purchased MLB and NFL package since way back when it was Directv and they first started offering it. Along with the subscription you get full access to MLB League pass on the web as well so, if you can figure it out on AppleTV or your Firestick you can stream as well.

Hey, Perry Mason finally became a lawyer last night!!!!!

Lurker
07-20-2020, 10:21 AM
Single Team
$49.99
Stream ONE TEAM'S out-of-market games live or on demand on your favorite supported devices.

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe

Even with the instructions, could never get it to work on the TV.

Merlin1958
07-20-2020, 10:45 AM
Single Team
$49.99
Stream ONE TEAM'S out-of-market games live or on demand on your favorite supported devices.

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe

Even with the instructions, could never get it to work on the TV.

Yeah, I've gotten it on the PC while I was in the hospital a couple times, but frankly the broadcasts suck and I don't care for the format. Also, there is a lot of timeouts/chop from internet connects not in your home. At least I would guess it better at home than "in the field" so to speak. Single team subscriptions is something fairly new, I've been bitching about it for years as I could give a fig what the other teams are doing, I'm watching my Yanks and generally I watch the "YES" broadcast thru Directv and have always had to pay for the entire MLB package. I'll have to really look into this. Thanks a bunch and if I end up going for it I'll tell you how to set it up!! lol lol

mae
07-25-2020, 02:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lCscBFY2Lg

Merlin1958
07-31-2020, 05:37 AM
Can't believe no one has posted about that fucking awesome trailer for "Lovecraft Country" (or did I miss it?)!!! Cthulu is alive and well on HBO!!!!!

mae
08-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Harley Quinn, the animated series is up on HBO Max today, both seasons. This is a fantastic show, absolutely hilarious, and one of the best things DC has ever done. Binge it now!

Aremag
08-01-2020, 02:46 PM
Harley Quinn, the animated series is up on HBO Max today, both seasons. This is a fantastic show, absolutely hilarious, and one of the best things DC has ever done. Binge it now!

Watching it now and it's a lot more adult than I thought it would be. Also watched the first episode of Doom Patrol and that was pretty good. So far those two series are better than the recent movies.

Merlin1958
08-06-2020, 11:32 PM
Can't believe no one has posted about that fucking awesome trailer for "Lovecraft Country" (or did I miss it?)!!! Cthulu is alive and well on HBO!!!!!

So really? No love for Lovecraft Country here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvamPJp17Ds

St. Troy
08-07-2020, 06:50 AM
I think Lovecraft Country looks mighty intriguing, especially since Peele is behind it.

Merlin1958
08-07-2020, 07:20 AM
I think Lovecraft Country looks mighty intriguing, especially since Peele is behind it.

There ya go!!!! You'll need the entertainment anyways since the Yanks just swept your Boys of Boston Summer!!! lol j/k lol

St. Troy
08-07-2020, 07:28 AM
I think the Sox are busy sweeping themselves, honestly.

Hunchback Jack
08-07-2020, 07:30 AM
For anyone who likes True Crime documentaries, I'll Be Gone in the Dark is very good.

HBJ

Merlin1958
08-07-2020, 08:01 AM
For anyone who likes True Crime documentaries, I'll Be Gone in the Dark is very good.

HBJ

Yeah Just like this one............................................... ..................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g94n4I0-anU

Still Servant
08-07-2020, 04:12 PM

I'm really looking forward to that one. I think it has a chance to be the sleeper hit of the summer.

Merlin1958
08-10-2020, 09:38 PM
First, full season of Perry Mason just finished and it was really, really good IMHO. Season finale was one of the best I've seen in quite a while. Give it a go I think you'll be glad you did.

Heather19
08-11-2020, 03:44 AM

HBJ

Just watched this one last week. Really interesting, but so terrifying that that guy was able to do what he did.

mae
08-13-2020, 03:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDulv-J1bEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vi_vP1s5dY

Merlin1958
08-17-2020, 12:52 AM
Lovecraft Country was brilliant despite the skewed view of America. I LOVED it!!!

mae
08-24-2020, 12:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnwttF7uv1I

Joe315
08-24-2020, 12:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnwttF7uv1I

Have you seen I am Mother? This seems to have a similar premise.

Still Servant
08-26-2020, 05:19 PM
I loved I am Mother! People don't talk about it much which is too bad.

mae
12-03-2020, 12:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGy16GQHz-g

webstar1000
12-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the end of the theatre experience. I was just coming here to share the same thing. HBO thank you for ruining cinema forever.

mae
12-03-2020, 03:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67TOPUDcYls

Merlin1958
12-12-2020, 07:38 AM
I thought this might be worth a look. IDK how to imbed it though.

https://www.hbomax.com/same-day-premieres?utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ENG_2230_Max

mae
12-12-2020, 07:40 AM
I think it's the same promo I posted earlier. Exciting, but certainly controversial.

Merlin1958
12-12-2020, 08:06 AM
I think it's the same promo I posted earlier. Exciting, but certainly controversial.

Sorry, I thought it had just a little more info.

mae
12-12-2020, 08:12 AM
I really don't know what to think of this move by HBO Max. On the one hand it's amazing we'll be getting all these new 2021 theatrical releases for no extra charge (and I just recently bought a 77" 4K OLED), but I agree with the filmmakers, too. Even if they put it on HBO Max like a month after a theatrical run that would be great.

Still Servant
12-14-2020, 06:35 PM
I really don't know what to think of this move by HBO Max. On the one hand it's amazing we'll be getting all these new 2021 theatrical releases for no extra charge (and I just recently bought a 77" 4K OLED), but I agree with the filmmakers, too. Even if they put it on HBO Max like a month after a theatrical run that would be great.

I don't think it's going to have the impact they think it's going to. I haven't met one person that has signed up for HBO Max because of this deal. I understand it from their standpoint, but it's shortsighted. Movie studios need theaters.

Also, Mae, I hope you're turning off motion blur when watching movies. I just got a 75 inch 4k and it's the first thing I did. Can't stand that shit.

mae
12-14-2020, 08:23 PM
Also, Mae, I hope you're turning off motion blur when watching movies. I just got a 75 inch 4k and it's the first thing I did. Can't stand that shit.

Yeah took some fiddling with picture settings, but I think I have it now in a good place. I don't like the sped-up effect it has at all! Or whatever you call it. I'm too used to the normal ways. This is not a videogame! But I love how even plain HD content looks on my new TV. I was just watching some Clone Wars on Disney+ (not in 4K, plain old HD) after watching The Mandalorian, which is in 4K, and the difference is not that huge. Very happy with this TV, it was time for an upgrade as our old 40-something-inch plasma was closing in on 20 years old.

mae
12-17-2020, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6soiKvRl5rM

Merlin1958
12-17-2020, 07:56 PM
Have you guys seen the trailer for "30 Coins"? I think it's an HBO, but cou;d be Showtime or Starz I don't recall. Gist seems to involve the 30 pieces silver, Judas receoved for snitching on, Christ. Some kind of evil cult with, magic and whatnot is involved. Looks really good from the trailer that I can't seem to locate!! lol

Premiere's, January 4th I believe

Still Servant
12-21-2020, 03:38 PM

Yeah took some fiddling with picture settings, but I think I have it now in a good place. I don't like the sped-up effect it has at all! Or whatever you call it. I'm too used to the normal ways. This is not a videogame! But I love how even plain HD content looks on my new TV. I was just watching some Clone Wars on Disney+ (not in 4K, plain old HD) after watching The Mandalorian, which is in 4K, and the difference is not that huge. Very happy with this TV, it was time for an upgrade as our old 40-something-inch plasma was closing in on 20 years old.

That's fantastic life you got out of the plasma! No burn-in or anything?

mae
12-21-2020, 03:48 PM
There was a little burn-in, yes, but it was thankfully minimal and not very noticeable, and I know OLEDs can have that too but to a lesser degree.

Merlin1958
12-26-2020, 05:03 PM
AT&T strikes again to bleed its customers for every last red cent!!! Apparently, with the advent of "Max" and the addition of "Epix channel", all the first time films that would normally premiere on HBO saturday nights are going there instead of the regular HBO broadcast channels. On top of that, and this really grinds my grits, they are recycling films that have already premiered on HBO/Starz/Sho and making them $3.99 rentals!!! I mean come on we already paid for those films in our monthly subscription!!! That's double dipping, baby and should not be allowed. I know I can probably watch those films on another streaming service I pay monthly for, for free. It's just the principles involved that gall me.

And switching up the new releases to another channel for $6.99 is just not right!!! I know you folks will likely tell me that's the way it is now a days and so forth, but I just had to get that off my chest, Man, do I woe the day, AT&T bought Directv. DTV was one of the only corporations that seemed to give a fuck about their customers and offered EXECELLENT cust svc as well, IMHO

Heather19
12-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Are you not able to get HBO Max? But you have an HBO subscription?

I have a subscription to HBO thru cable (Xfinity) but I was able to get Max for no extra charge because I had a subscription to HBO. Only thing is I have a fire stick and it doesn't have Max on there so I have to screen mirror it to my TV. I hope this changes in the near future. It's workable but annoying.

mae
12-27-2020, 10:31 AM
Bill, I'm not sure what you're referring to, AT&T has nothing to do with Epix, that's owned by MGM, not AT&T. Everything that's on HBO with your subscription is also on HBO Max.

Merlin1958
01-25-2021, 07:17 PM
Viewed "WW84" what a disappointment. Looking forward to "All the Little Things" or something like that with, Denzel!!

Garrell
01-25-2021, 07:24 PM
Yep. Watching The Little Things the night it comes out.

Merlin1958
01-25-2021, 07:49 PM
Yep. Watching The Little Things the night it comes out.

Do yourself a huge favor and check out "30 Coins" on HBO, Monday's. It's got subtitles, but it's a fucking awesome. Horror plot to beat the Band!!! Centers around the 30 pieces of silver, Judas received for betraying, JC. Apparently, they have supernatural significance and there's a conspiracy within the Catholic church. 'Nuff said?

Garrell
01-26-2021, 06:26 AM
It is on the list Bill, after we are done with Yellowstone (we started it last night).

mae
01-26-2021, 12:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnR5DxP2e2g

Ricky
01-26-2021, 03:22 PM
The Little Things is next on my list as well--can't wait!

Still Servant
01-26-2021, 03:56 PM
I started watching Lockdown and it was pretty bad.

Ricky
01-26-2021, 04:42 PM
That the one with Anne Hathaway? It didn't look like much.

Merlin1958
01-26-2021, 06:32 PM

Mine as well!! I think it premiere's Friday night? You know, so far the only things I've found enjoyable on HBO Max have been the new movies and WW84 blew chunks. Everything else, I think, are available and I watch on my regular DTV HBO subscription. i think they have a few films that look good coming up and it's cool that they are same day as theaters. Other than that, my grandson's love watching "Looney Tunes" with me!!! Gotta get that "Waskly Wabbit!!! Thufferin' Thuccotash!!! Meep Meep!!! LOL

webstar1000
01-27-2021, 05:12 AM

I was very excited for this but its not getting good reviews so far:(

mae
01-27-2021, 08:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbuHb-zl1Tk

Merlin1958
01-27-2021, 08:59 AM
THE MATRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!

webstar1000
01-27-2021, 11:26 AM
THE MATRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that the matrix?? I cannot see it

Merlin1958
01-27-2021, 11:41 AM
THE MATRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last Frame of trailer

webstar1000
01-27-2021, 11:51 AM
THE MATRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last Frame of trailer

Not able to see here in Canada... is it cool?

Merlin1958
01-27-2021, 12:02 PM
THE MATRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last Frame of trailer

This particular trailer only features the titles of the upcoming films. You're really not missing anything. I don't think they have released a trasiler for "The Matrix" yet. Not due until summer or Xmas.

Br!an
01-27-2021, 04:18 PM

You need a VPN. Mozilla (Firefox) has a VPN for $5 per month. You can choose a location from a dozen US states and several dozen countries. It's available in Canada.

https://vpn.mozilla.org/

mae
01-28-2021, 06:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HSKmXPrl9o

Merlin1958
01-28-2021, 06:52 AM
What is deceiving, and they are not divulging apparently, are the number of new subscribers that already are HBO subscribers who have simply signed up for HBO Max. Those subscribers are not really contributing revenue to the service and are simply "Signing on" because its free. Of course, I know that at some point AT&T will drop a fee on us and at that point a lot of folks will either drop the streaming service or the original subscription unless, they fuck around with the DTV packaging. I wouldn't put that past them either. So, in my mind their subscription numbers are some what useless until they disclose this element and they will likely see a big fall-off when they announce fees that I am relatively sure are coming. So, enjoy your HBO while you can. AT&T will be fucking that up just as they did to DTV. It's almost criminal that they were able to buy DTV and HBO and then rape both entities. Mark my words they will be raping HBO in the near future by forcing a decision to go DTV OR HBO Max.

This will likely extend to a lot of the other pay channels as they are all incestuous in one way or another. I used to live in NY and specifically on L.I. where HBO, Showtime, and Starz all had their main office in the "Cablevision" office complex's that are huge. I remember when my parents first signed up for HBO back in the '70's or '80'sand how cool it was to have it. HBO had its own special box back then added to the regular cablevision box. lol In any case, IMHO AT&T is the worst thing to happen to entertainment since the McCarthy hearings and witch hunt!! As we speak AT&T is already monetizing films that we have already paid for through the subscription service as PPV or Purchase options. Next will be the separate subscription fee for the HBO Max streaming service.

I for one will be balking at that and my 25+ years as a DTV customer coming to an end. On the brighter side, at some point I think AT&T will realize how badly they fucked everything up and the numkbers will become public and they'll have to sell the dying service and associated assets. We'll see how this all unfolds, but from what I've seen from AT&T so far I can only expect doom and gloom.

mae
01-28-2021, 10:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGuoZcfR7_8

Merlin1958
01-28-2021, 04:09 PM
^ Well now, that looks interesting indeed!!

Shannon
01-28-2021, 08:07 PM
Finally, a trailer that doesn't give everything away, lol

fernandito
01-29-2021, 10:26 AM
I'm getting The Thing, Sphere vibes.

I'm in obviously.

DoctorZaius
01-29-2021, 01:27 PM
Intriguing.

mae
02-06-2021, 06:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okFP4iQrfu8

fernandito
02-06-2021, 07:27 AM
Did anyone catch the first episode of The Head yet?

Br!an
02-07-2021, 02:55 PM

No, but good idea. I'll watch it tonight.

Merlin1958
02-07-2021, 07:16 PM

Looks good. Mr. Wednesday!! And based on how much I am enjoying "30 Coins" I'm definitely gonna give this show a shot. It's only on "Max"?

Works out nicely since there is no American Gods episode this week.

Merlin1958
02-08-2021, 06:38 PM
New episode of "30 Coins" drops this evening, folks!!! Be there!!!

mae
02-10-2021, 09:53 AM
Season One was so funny! Happy to see it back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2ZQLXAGsM

mae
02-11-2021, 11:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaW_mdEqwpg

mae
02-12-2021, 08:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQN-uyEyuwY

fernandito
02-15-2021, 08:20 AM
Started watching Succession and I am hooked. Pretty much binged S1 over the weekend. Anyone else watching this?

Merlin1958
02-15-2021, 03:14 PM
Started watching Succession and I am hooked. Pretty much binged S1 over the weekend. Anyone else watching this?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Still Servant
02-15-2021, 04:30 PM
I just hope everyone who has HBO Max is using it to watch Barry.

Joe315
02-15-2021, 08:29 PM
I just hope everyone who has HBO Max is using it to watch Barry.

Great show and I hear season 3 is ready to film and a fourth has been completely written.

mae
02-17-2021, 10:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwaLLEZO6FM

Heather19
02-23-2021, 03:14 PM
Is anyone watching The Head? I'm loving it.

Merlin1958
02-23-2021, 03:39 PM

yeah, I binged it. It wasn't bad, but I expected a little more. The whole CO2 eating bacteria thing was cool though.

ICry4Oy
02-24-2021, 08:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnR5DxP2e2g

Very good show! Hit close to home for me. I got out of the Air Force in the late 1970's and during the 80's and 90's watched nearly everyone I loved die before they hit 30. Parts of this show absolutely gutted me to watch.

fernandito
02-24-2021, 10:03 AM
@Webstar - Banshee is on HBO now! :excited:

mae
02-24-2021, 10:24 AM
@Webstar - Banshee is on HBO now! :excited:

And so is The Knick! Great Cinemax series (weird that they didn't add them from the start since WB also owns Cinemax and it was announced that Cinemax will no longer do original series).

fernandito
02-24-2021, 10:32 AM
Oooh and I see that every episode was directed by Soderbergh. Adding to list too!

Ricky
02-24-2021, 03:54 PM
I had to quit The Knick after awhile. Slow burn is an understatement. :lol:

Merlin1958
02-24-2021, 04:09 PM
"Succession" is a somewhat under rated, but very good show if you're looking for something to watch.

mae
02-25-2021, 11:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPlHLkiXFbs

mae
03-05-2021, 05:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNrMMLOTdso

webstar1000
03-05-2021, 06:20 AM
Man I LOVE 30 Coins. I have 2 left to watch!

Lookwhoitis
03-05-2021, 10:36 AM

that show is off the chain. Ive only seen two eps but i am really digging it

Merlin1958
03-05-2021, 01:58 PM

that show is off the chain. Ive only seen two eps but i am really digging it

We have a dedicated thread for this show here to discuss and what not. I've been trying to hype it and hopefully get a season two. Love to discuss your thoughts.

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?23128-HBO-30-COINS-(Please-use-Spoiler-Tags)

fernandito
03-05-2021, 02:46 PM
Damn y'all got me intrigued!

webstar1000
03-06-2021, 09:28 AM
Damn y'all got me intrigued!

It’s not just good... it’s freakin unreal good. Amazing!

Heather19
03-06-2021, 12:04 PM
I really enjoyed 30 Coins as well.

Heather19
03-06-2021, 12:05 PM

yeah, I binged it. It wasn't bad, but I expected a little more. The whole CO2 eating bacteria thing was cool though.

I forgot to come back in here and post, but I finished it the other week. I thought it was excellent. Great little winter horror series. At first I wasn't sure about the final episode but then it all came together in the end and I was pretty satisfied.

Merlin1958
03-06-2021, 02:34 PM

I forgot to come back in here and post, but I finished it the other week. I thought it was excellent. Great little winter horror series. At first I wasn't sure about the final episode but then it all came together in the end and I was pretty satisfied.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mae
03-10-2021, 06:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK_Gf9H2CWI

mae
03-15-2021, 05:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCYrqpng9QA

mae
03-24-2021, 05:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqH9DLdZ7u4

mae
04-03-2021, 12:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycI3odQwhE4

mae
04-07-2021, 08:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTk3nLrW-sc

Lookwhoitis
04-07-2021, 08:27 AM
I watched the Q anon doc and thought it was pretty good.

mae
04-22-2021, 06:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PvbspVZ19I

mae
04-26-2021, 01:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBiOmOQYCR4

Still Servant
04-26-2021, 04:57 PM
I find Cristin Milioti adorable, so I was all in on Made for Love. Not amazing and it could have been funnier, but it's a really easy weekend binge. Ray Romano has a sex doll. So that's pretty funny.

fernandito
04-27-2021, 04:19 AM
for the longest time I thought Cristin Milioti and Oona Chaplin were the same person.

Still Servant
04-27-2021, 05:02 PM
for the longest time I thought Cristin Milioti and Oona Chaplin were the same person.

I could see that.

mae
05-20-2021, 09:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3JxUdbJ0do

mae
05-28-2021, 10:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwHGSIDfrk4

mae
06-04-2021, 12:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wvOX4G6bgQ

mae
06-04-2021, 12:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT4NfXFzsSg

Merlin1958
06-04-2021, 03:54 PM
Conjuring 3 left me wanting. Nowhere near as intense as the first two. Much more story oriented in my opinion. You can see alll the twists coming.

mae
06-17-2021, 10:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd09zvjdktE

mae
06-17-2021, 11:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id7XSe3UFzk

mae
06-24-2021, 09:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAVgdujUWQ

mae
07-09-2021, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iang9SWVmdI

Merlin1958
07-09-2021, 04:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iang9SWVmdI

It's a great show!!!! The trailer seems to be of S1 which was originally a, Starz or Showtime show. They're due for a S2. It's a really great show, check it out.

mae
07-19-2021, 07:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62RmIsx6MA

mae
07-20-2021, 10:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCG6E1r0PZA

mae
08-16-2021, 12:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMgEupbTsus

mae
10-07-2021, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaQvsFIB4Uw

mae
11-03-2021, 01:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ECFdDHTFw

ICry4Oy
11-12-2021, 09:21 AM
Didn't care much for season 3 of Doom Patrol. Was just too all over the place.

Joe315
11-12-2021, 02:41 PM
Didn't care much for season 3 of Doom Patrol. Was just too all over the place.

That's too bad. Was looking forward to it.

mae
11-12-2021, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul3sh7DUK4w

mae
11-18-2021, 11:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYBuU32B8PI

mae
11-22-2021, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEx_CBxNrXY

cit74
11-22-2021, 03:28 PM
I saw Sarah on seth Myers the other day - can’t wait for this one to drop

mae
11-23-2021, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPz_XktsEFE

mae
12-20-2021, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdwZwrs8Qt0

mae
12-22-2021, 02:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36F9JxfDEA4

mae
12-22-2021, 04:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRA9sw0SkPs

Still Servant
02-10-2022, 05:25 PM
Has anyone watched Station Eleven? I'm hearing good things. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it here.

webstar1000
02-11-2022, 05:14 AM
Has anyone watched Station Eleven? I'm hearing good things. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it here.

IT starts WITH A BANG.. then by the 3rd... its a fizzel... im struggling. It just goes off into la la land and had such promise. I stopped at 5... and will finish but in no hurry:(

cit74
02-11-2022, 09:10 AM
we finished it - it came around full circle in the end and was a decent single season show

webstar1000
02-11-2022, 09:46 AM
we finished it - it came around full circle in the end and was a decent single season show

oh good to know. Ill keep going!

Merlin1958
02-11-2022, 04:25 PM
My apologies if this is redundant but, anyone watching "Peacemaker" on HBOMAX? I have to admit I was somewhat dubious about signing on for this but said "WTF" and gave it a try. Bottom line is it is actually kind of good. Starts off slowly and picks up momentum. Season finale is next week. The series is done by, James Gunn so its pretty well done. You may want to give it a go , it's a hoot!!

Also, I hate to admit it but, I'm a bit hooked on the intro and song!! LOL LOL Can't seem to get it outta my head until saturday after the Thursday viewing!! lol lol

Garrell
02-11-2022, 05:39 PM
Peacemaker is amazing and the intro should win awards

Ricky
02-11-2022, 05:42 PM
https://collider.com/30-coins-season-2-release-date-2023/

:)

Merlin1958
02-11-2022, 06:51 PM
https://collider.com/30-coins-season-2-release-date-2023/

:)

Damn!!! A whole year!!! LOL Ar least its coming back I guess, right? lol

Merlin1958
02-11-2022, 06:52 PM
Peacemaker is amazing and the intro should win awards

I'm telling ya!! LOL LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrr3UNALww

The dancing is hysterical!! lol

cit74
02-11-2022, 09:16 PM
We love the intro - can’t skip over it- we all start dancing when it’s on and give the eagly double screech at the end

Bev Vincent
02-12-2022, 05:19 AM
We really enjoyed Carole King and James Taylor: Just Call Out My Name -- a concert / doc about their reunion concert in 2010. They still got it.

Merlin1958
02-12-2022, 10:10 AM
We love the intro - can’t skip over it- we all start dancing when it’s on and give the eagly double screech at the end

:thumbsup: :wtf::wtf::wtf:

mae
03-04-2022, 08:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZBacZqwbCA

mae
03-04-2022, 08:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTc5I86to_8