PDA

View Full Version : March Madness!!

Randall Flagg
02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Just a teaser to see about interest in a March Madness contest.
One way or another, participants would need to check in and select promptly, or be left aside. 32 games the first round. 16 next etc. , but they sometimes are only 2 days apart.
The seed is planted.
Be ready.

RUBE
02-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Just a suggestion but every March Madness pool I ever saw made you pick all the games through the championship before any of them were played. Also, each round was worth twice as many points as the previous. This would make it where people wouldn't have to rush to get their picks in and it would reward people that had good foresight even more. Of course, if your champion pick then loses in the first or second round it also hurts you more.

NeedfulKings
02-26-2008, 09:25 PM
The seed is planted.

And it WILL grow!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jayson
02-27-2008, 05:03 AM
however it is most practical to run it on the site end, i am all up for participating on the user end. i'm just glad there'll we be meaningful basketball on soon!!!!

Randall Flagg
02-27-2008, 06:44 AM
Just a suggestion but every March Madness pool I ever saw made you pick all the games through the championship before any of them were played. Also, each round was worth twice as many points as the previous. This would make it where people wouldn't have to rush to get their picks in and it would reward people that had good foresight even more. Of course, if your champion pick then loses in the first or second round it also hurts you more.

That is how I have often seen it run. I am mulling it over now. If we did it that way, each person would submit 63 winners?

NeedfulKings
02-27-2008, 07:07 PM
My wife and I usually fill in the complete bracket before the first tip and see how we do.

I like the idea of a progressive competition as well. More work, of course.

Randall Flagg
02-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Since there are so many brackets out there, I wanted to see if there is interest in doing things a bit different.
I would post the first 32 games-with a point spread for each game. Just like in Vegas, you choose the favorite, or the underdog, and your team either has to cover the spread. Each entrant chooses all 32 games in round one, then 16 in round two (after I post the spreads) etc. All the way to the final game.
The person at the end with who "beats the spread" the most is the winner.
Any tie would be broken by cummulative points in the final game.

Thoughts?

RUBE
02-28-2008, 05:47 PM

That is how I have often seen it run. I am mulling it over now. If we did it that way, each person would submit 63 winners?

Actually, each person would need to submit 64 winners because of the play-in game that they added a few years ago.

RUBE
02-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Since there are so many brackets out there, I wanted to see if there is interest in doing things a bit different.
I would post the first 32 games-with a point spread for each game. Just like in Vegas, you choose the favorite, or the underdog, and your team either has to cover the spread. Each entrant chooses all 32 games in round one, then 16 in round two (after I post the spreads) etc. All the way to the final game.
The person at the end with who "beats the spread" the most is the winner.
Any tie would be broken by cummulative points in the final game.

Thoughts?

That would definitely require more thought than just picking winners and would require more work on your part, but it would be interesting.

NeedfulKings
02-28-2008, 09:15 PM
That would definitely require more thought than just picking winners and would require more work on your part, but it would be interesting.

Yep. What he said. :)

It would be a lot of math. I've never been a fan of point spreads (Vegas is strictly there for nickel slots--we all know that!). :evil: Either way, I'm in.

Randall Flagg
02-29-2008, 06:56 AM
Hopefully some others will chime in to say they want to play. If there are only 3-4 people, it is less interesting than 10-20.

Still Servant
03-14-2008, 02:01 PM
I'd be interested. I think it would be fun.

I was actually thinking about doing something like this on here the other day. I just couldn't figure out how it woud work.

I think your way is the only way it would work.

Randall Flagg
03-14-2008, 06:56 PM
As long as we get participants, it will be fun.

Still Servant
03-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Might want to change the title to something besides "teaser."

Just to get the attention of more people. Just a thought.

Matt
03-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I would play for sure but I know nothing about pro football or any other sport.

This is...Basketball yes?

At any rate, I'll participate as best I can if you guys get it going.