PDA

View Full Version : New Stephen King novella collection: If It Bleeds (April 2020)

Randall Flagg
05-12-2019, 08:01 AM
King mentioned at a recent event in Minneapolis that he has a new novel titled If You Bleed, featuring Holly Gibney.

mae
05-12-2019, 08:32 AM
I guess this EW interview spilled the beans a couple of weeks ago but no one noticed:

https://ew.com/books/2019/05/01/richard-chizmar-gwendys-magic-feather-stephen-king/

What inspired the idea for a sequel about Gwendy 25 years after she first got the button box?
RICHARD CHIZMAR: I guess from just watching the news and seeing that a lot of new, diverse people were elected to Congress, a lot of females, a lot of young people, that stuck in my head. I woke up with a really clear picture of Gwendy and saw where she was all those years after we left her.

So you saw her in office? How did you pitch the idea to King?
I wasn’t pitching Steve, I emailed him and just said, “Hey, I saw Gwendy however many years later, and she’s an elected member of Congress, living in D.C., and the button box shows up again.” That’s all I wrote him. And I just looked at the email that he sent back. He said, “That’s a cool idea, very cool.”

But he didn’t want to write it himself?
He said, “I’m going to be spending the foreseeable future with Holly Gibney [a character in his Mr. Mercedes novels and The Outsider who is a major character in his newest book], but you should write it.”

I thought this was in reference to The Outsider.

Roseannebarr
05-12-2019, 08:45 AM
I guess this EW interview spilled the beans a couple of weeks ago but no one noticed:

https://ew.com/books/2019/05/01/richard-chizmar-gwendys-magic-feather-stephen-king/

What inspired the idea for a sequel about Gwendy 25 years after she first got the button box?
RICHARD CHIZMAR: I guess from just watching the news and seeing that a lot of new, diverse people were elected to Congress, a lot of females, a lot of young people, that stuck in my head. I woke up with a really clear picture of Gwendy and saw where she was all those years after we left her.

I wasn’t pitching Steve, I emailed him and just said, “Hey, I saw Gwendy however many years later, and she’s an elected member of Congress, living in D.C., and the button box shows up again.” That’s all I wrote him. And I just looked at the email that he sent back. He said, “That’s a cool idea, very cool.”

He said, “I’m going to be spending the foreseeable future with Holly Gibney [a character in his Mr. Mercedes novels and The Outsider who is a major character in his newest book], but you should write it.”

We knew holly was coming back. But not the title or plot. News reporters love to chase deadly crime scenes. Spoiler. What if one of these reporters needs to chase these events. Like a vampire. Feeding off the scene. (Sounds like dr sleep characters). Alzheimer’s and gettin old tie into the book. Fears that king currently worries about.

Merlin1958
05-12-2019, 10:18 AM

We knew holly was coming back. But not the title or plot. News reporters love to chase deadly crime scenes. Spoiler. What if one of these reporters needs to chase these events. Like a vampire. Feeding off the scene. (Sounds like dr sleep characters). Alzheimer’s and gettin old tie into the book. Fears that king currently worries about.

Well, that plot hint has taken the wind out of my sails. I'll probably still read it, but am not so enthused about it. I like the, "Holly" character, but I don't know if she can carry a whole novel. I know that may seem like a something a little "off" to say, but it's what popped into my addled brain first thing after reading this clip.

Randall Flagg
05-12-2019, 10:30 AM
I think Holly can carry a novel-absolutely.

Merlin1958
05-12-2019, 10:33 AM

I'll be happy to be proven wrong indeed, El Jefe. Like I said it was just the first reaction I had. Maybe with time and consideration that will change. I take it there is no news regarding a publication date as yet?

Edit: Did searches on Amazon US/UK and no pre-order info as yet that I could find.

kingfan2323
05-12-2019, 12:19 PM
What great Mother's Day News! My Mom loves Holly! Carry a book herself? Time will tell!

herbertwest
05-13-2019, 12:47 AM

I'll be happy to be proven wrong indeed, El Jefe. Like I said it was just the first reaction I had. Maybe with time and consideration that will change. I take it there is no news regarding a publication date as yet?

Edit: Did searches on Amazon US/UK and no pre-order info as yet that I could find.

I would be guessing may 2020

webstar1000
05-13-2019, 04:49 AM
Sigh... another book set in this Holly universe. Sad to hear for me anyways. I find her an unlikable chacter that I could care less about.

Ben Mears
05-13-2019, 05:56 AM
Holly might be able to carry a book but she won't be delivering one to me as I would have no interest in reading it.

Heather19
05-13-2019, 06:21 AM
Agreed. Not thrilled about it either. I was never a fan of Holly or the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I'll still buy it, but not sure if I'll read it :lol:

Garrell
05-13-2019, 07:01 AM
I loved the series and enjoy her character, looking forward to it

NoAttitudeThisTime
05-14-2019, 03:53 AM
The correct title is probably If It Bleeds since King has - according to Lilja - revealed it's about a journalist/vampire that feeds off the energy of people while chasing his stories

mae
05-14-2019, 03:59 AM
So a sequel to Night Flier and Doctor Sleep? Cool...

CyberGhostface
05-14-2019, 07:58 AM
I don't mind Holly but it is kind of funny how she's become King's new pet character.

WeDealInLead
05-14-2019, 08:05 AM
So a sequel to Night Flier and Doctor Sleep? Cool...

Or Carrion Comfort. Flipping the Summer of Night - It deal upside down.

King had said you should write what you know. He obviously doesn't know female characters with mental/behavioural issues. Every time Holly speaks it's like someone's taking sandpaper to my nerve endings. Also, no one ever goes from barely functioning in the real world to solving a supernatural murder mystery on a plane ride.

"Poopy."

Bev Vincent
05-15-2019, 12:33 PM
King confirms title: IF IT BLEEDS

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1128759377417121792

mae
05-15-2019, 12:56 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/b7DD37muzh6VO/giphy.gif

stroppygoblin
05-15-2019, 01:00 PM
I updated the title of this thread and the Catalog entry...

mae
05-15-2019, 01:03 PM
But the question is, does Pennywise really bleed?

Randall Flagg
09-01-2019, 01:27 PM
Per Rolling Stone: King’s next book, If It Bleeds, is due out sometime in 2020. It’s a continuation of his ongoing Holly Gibney detective series. “I have to do a polish on that,” he says. “But it’s basically done.” He’s already jamming away on the one after that (though he’s not ready to divulge any details) and the sudden surge of interest in his work has been a great motivator to keep going. “I’m 71 years old,” he says, “and a lot of people my age are forgotten and I’ve had this late season burst of success. It’s very gratifying.”

Garrell
09-01-2019, 01:55 PM
Yeah!!!:drool:

RichardX
09-02-2019, 06:10 AM
King mentioned at a recent event in Minneapolis that he has a new novel titled If You Bleed, featuring Holly Gibney.

I'll read just about anything from King, but this is not great news. At 70+ years old, I can't imagine there are a lot of books left in him. There are plenty of better detective fiction writers out there. It seems a bit lazy to write a series based on the same character. And Holly is one of those characters that works only in King's mind. He often deals in stereotypes with minorities, children, and special needs. It is almost humorous given his liberal bent.

CyberGhostface
09-03-2019, 07:05 AM
What stereotypes are you referring to with Holly?

Garrell
09-03-2019, 07:31 AM
The Outsider (w/Holly in it) was a great novel IMHO. Just saying:rolleyes2:

CyberGhostface
09-03-2019, 08:50 AM
I don't hate Holly but it is kind of funny how she's become King's new main character. Maybe she'll join up with Roland's ka-tet next.

Ricky
09-03-2019, 03:36 PM
I love Holly but, on the flip side, I don't want her to become King's new go-to or crutch.

And regarding stereotypes, I work with kids in our school's Special Ed. dept. and I can say that King gets Asperger's. It rings very true.

Roseannebarr
10-02-2019, 09:12 PM
If It Bleeds
Release Date: May 5th, 2020

From #1 New York Times bestselling author, legendary storyteller, and master of short fiction Stephen King comes an extraordinary collection of four new and compelling novellas—Mr. Harrigan’s Phone, The Life of Chuck, Rat and the title story If It Bleeds — each pulling readers into intriguing and frightening places.

The novella is a form King has returned to over and over again in the course of his amazing career, and many have been made into iconic films, including “The Body” (Stand By Me) and “Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption” (Shawshank Redemption). Like Four Past Midnight, Different Seasons, and most recently Full Dark, No Stars, If It Bleeds is a uniquely satisfying collection of longer short fiction by an incomparably gifted writer.

kingfan2323
10-02-2019, 10:23 PM
If It Bleeds
Release Date: May 5th, 2020

From #1 New York Times bestselling author, legendary storyteller, and master of short fiction Stephen King comes an extraordinary collection of four new and compelling novellas—Mr. Harrigan’s Phone, The Life of Chuck, Rat and the title story If It Bleeds — each pulling readers into intriguing and frightening places.

The novella is a form King has returned to over and over again in the course of his amazing career, and many have been made into iconic films, including “The Body” (Stand By Me) and “Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption” (Shawshank Redemption). Like Four Past Midnight, Different Seasons, and most recently Full Dark, No Stars, If It Bleeds is a uniquely satisfying collection of longer short fiction by an incomparably gifted writer.Now if that does not get you pumped . . . ! Love the title too.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF

Garrell
10-03-2019, 03:36 AM
Super excited for this one.. oh wait, always excited for new SK.

mikeC
10-03-2019, 05:49 AM
Love to know if these are all crime novellas or a mix.

amd013
10-03-2019, 06:49 AM
interesting, all the rumors I heard indicated this would be a Holy Gibney book. I wonder if she is featured in one or more of the stories.

Bev Vincent
10-03-2019, 07:10 AM
A novella from King is a novel by any other author!

herbertwest
10-03-2019, 07:11 AM
Seems like

The description is on the amazon UK page for the audiobook version

News people have a saying: 'If it bleeds, it leads'. And a bomb at Albert Macready Middle School is guaranteed to lead any bulletin.

Holly Gibney of the Finders Keepers detective agency is working on the case of a missing dog - and on her own need to be more assertive - when she sees the footage on TV. But when she tunes in again, to the late-night report, she realises there is something not quite right about the correspondent who was first on the scene. So begins 'If It Bleeds', a stand-alone sequel to the No. 1 bestselling THE OUTSIDER featuring the incomparable Holly on her first solo case - and also the riveting title story in Stephen King's brilliant new collection.

Dancing alongside are three more wonderful long stories from this 'formidably versatile author' (The Sunday Times) - *'*Mr Harrigan's Phone', 'The Life of Chuck' and 'Rat'. All four display the richness of King's storytelling with grace, humour, horror and breathtaking suspense. A fascinating Author's Note gives us a wonderful insight into the origin of each story and the writer's unparalleled imagination.

As for the UK cover

https://i.redd.it/66k712tcdcq31.jpg

amd013
10-03-2019, 07:20 AM
Ok, I'll admit I am happy to hear that the Holy story is only a novella and not a full novel.

Also surprised to see all of these announcements, but no announcement on stephenking.com.

Garrell
10-03-2019, 07:23 AM
There is an announcement near the bottom of the page stating what Kingfan2323 said up top

MikeDuke
10-03-2019, 07:27 AM
That's cool. Another anthology. Still have a lot to catch up on, but new King is a good thing I think.

Garrell
10-03-2019, 07:28 AM
Just ordered the slipcase from CD!!!

Ari_Racing
10-03-2019, 07:57 AM
Cover and excerpt:
https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/if-it-bleeds-final.jpg

https://ew.com/books/2019/10/03/stephen-king-if-it-bleeds-preview

herbertwest
10-03-2019, 08:11 AM
Thanks ari!

In the meantime, the official UK cover release is postponed to tomorrow

Kongo
10-03-2019, 08:13 AM
Very pleasantly surprised they're short stories. Also did anyone happen to read the excerpt yet?

Spoilers for The Outsider
Very excited to find out Ralph has a potential role to play. The end of The Outsider definitely paved the way for another team up, so I'm glad to see King delivering on that

Garrell
10-03-2019, 08:20 AM
That cover is SWEET!!!! The excerpt got the blood going...

mae
10-03-2019, 09:16 AM
That is an awesome cover for the US. As always, sorry UK :)

Ben Mears
10-03-2019, 09:26 AM
That is an awesome cover for the US. As always, sorry UK :)

Title font very similar to The Outsider.

Ben Mears
10-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Very pleasantly surprised they're short stories. Also did anyone happen to read the excerpt yet?

Spoilers for The Outsider
Very excited to find out Ralph has a potential role to play. The end of The Outsider definitely paved the way for another team up, so I'm glad to see King delivering on that

Very much looking forward to this. Hopefully only one of the four stories features Holly.

Heather19
10-03-2019, 10:14 AM
I really like that cover. Also very happy to hear that there's only one Holly story and that it's a novella and not a full novel.

The Library Policeman
10-03-2019, 11:52 AM
Yep much prefer that US cover.

mae
10-03-2019, 01:32 PM
The cover reminds me somewhat of Cujo:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/Cujo_trade_face.jpg

Kongo
10-03-2019, 01:35 PM
Maybe I'm just reaching here, but I just noticed the font for the title is the same for The Outsider. That also applies for the UK version as well.

mae
10-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Interestingly, King's been putting out a collection every five years: Full Dark, No Stars in 2010, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams in 2015, and now If It Bleeds in 2020.

mae
10-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Also, I may be the only one who's interested in these "cover to be unveiled" covers, I find them cool:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71-SbzzyPjL.jpg

I remember I made such a big deal about making sure we had backups of the Bazaar cover as it was revealed in stages for historical purposes :)

mae
10-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Also, the 576 pages has to be a placeholder. That's the page count of The Outsider.

M_O_O_N
10-03-2019, 06:11 PM
This would be THE book to have red blood dripping down the white edge.

stroppygoblin
10-04-2019, 03:07 AM
this seems to be the actual cover - from an official King tweet:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EF_cXJsWwAEVKRx?format=jpg&name=large

(Nice Rat in a Cat motif there...)

mae
10-04-2019, 03:12 AM
Yes, without the EW watermark. Amazon should updated theirs soon, I imagine.

stroppygoblin
10-04-2019, 06:43 AM
UK Cover

https://stephenkingbooks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/IF-IT-BLEEDS-Announcement-nofigure-768x576.jpg

Randall Flagg
10-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Also, the 576 pages has to be a placeholder. That's the page count of The Outsider.
That was also the placeholder count for The Institute (which is actually 561 pages).

mattgreenbean
03-24-2020, 07:26 AM
Went to pre-order the UK hardcover, but amazon.uk says, "This item does not ship to the United States." Anyone else run into this?

jreitan47
03-24-2020, 10:54 AM
New publication date for IF IT BLEEDS, has been moved up to 4.28.20 per his publicist today in an email. No reason given but moving up a date is always good news!

herbertwest
03-24-2020, 11:27 AM
For the US?

herbertwest
03-24-2020, 11:27 AM
That seems a bit... odd, given the current context. I would have expected them to push if further, not closer

jreitan47
03-24-2020, 11:31 AM
Yep, this is from his US publisher.

jreitan47
03-24-2020, 11:35 AM
And I’m surprised as well. I was just thinking to myself earlier that I’m sure we will hear soon about a delay.

Garrell
03-24-2020, 12:01 PM
His website has the April date also

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-24-2020, 02:41 PM
Went to pre-order the UK hardcover, but amazon.uk says, "This item does not ship to the United States." Anyone else run into this?

Try ordering the UK edition from THE BOOK DEPOSITORY. That's where I'm getting mine from.

Garrell
03-24-2020, 07:42 PM
Can order it from Waterstones also.

herbertwest
03-25-2020, 05:08 AM
And I’m surprised as well. I was just thinking to myself earlier that I’m sure we will hear soon about a delay.

Agreed. Althought it could still be postponed...

Something odd though : I am 500% confident that last night I saw the same 28th of april for the UK too.
But now I see that the date is back to the 5th of may of Amazon, but the Hodder website says the 28th of April. Still sent a message to my contact to enquire

St. Troy
03-25-2020, 05:55 AM
Amazon US shows April 28, FWIW.

mae
03-25-2020, 06:12 AM
Yes, I got an email that my preorder was moved up a couple of days ago.

Hunchback Jack
03-25-2020, 09:27 AM
Any word yet on UK variants - multiple trade edition variants, Waterstones edition, WH Smith edition?

(I, for one, would be glad if they didn't have multiple trade edition variants, as Sleeping Beauties and The Institute had).

HBJ

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-25-2020, 10:14 AM
Any word yet on UK variants - multiple trade edition variants, Waterstones edition, WH Smith edition?

(I, for one, would be glad if they didn't have multiple trade edition variants, as Sleeping Beauties and The Institute had).

HBJ

Just the two.. with Covid-19 or without Covid-19.

Hunchback Jack
03-25-2020, 10:32 AM

HBJ

I must admit, that made me laugh.

Randall Flagg
03-25-2020, 01:01 PM

HBJ

Positive rep sent!

herbertwest
03-26-2020, 01:14 AM
My contact confirmed to me that the UK edition is indeed moved to April 28th

I think that it's optimistic given the british gov has declared a 3 weeks lockdown, so that technically ends just before that date.
But I reckon that the uk publisher is blocked in the way that they HAVE TO release it at the same time than the USA. Otherwise there would be discrepancy between english/american speaking people.

And on the other hand, it's optimistic for the USA to announce that date given the current situation. But the publisher probably got over a million copies printed and would rather not have to stock them until.... later on....

I however wouldnt be surprised if both the US and the UK release will be postponed to later. End of june? October would make sense for a King book as none has been announced this year. But that's months away, so months of stock to keep + significant decrease of revenue for the year

mae
03-26-2020, 03:30 AM
I mean people are isolating at home, what else is there to do but watch movies and read books. Makes sense, if it's all printed up.

St. Troy
03-26-2020, 07:30 AM
Maybe it comes down to whether authorities in the various regions consider Amazon an "essential" business; since they sell damn near everything, maybe they do.

Merlin1958
03-26-2020, 08:17 AM
Fuck!!!! How did I miss this thread???????? :wtf::wtf::wtf: :sharepopcorn:

herbertwest
03-26-2020, 10:01 AM
Maybe it comes down to whether authorities in the various regions consider Amazon an "essential" business; since they sell damn near everything, maybe they do.

King books can probably be considered as an essential security weapon, in case of zombie attacks

RichardX
03-29-2020, 08:58 AM
With all the bookstores likely closed and Amazon backed up with "essential" deliveries, Walmart might be the best bet to get the book in April. Put on you biohazard suit and venture out among the masses.

Randall Flagg
03-29-2020, 09:11 AM
Costco will have it.

Merlin1958
03-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Costco will have it.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

herbertwest
04-01-2020, 09:47 AM
There will be a british WHSmith variant ;-)
>>> https://www.facebook.com/stephenkingbooks/photos/a.137820799658256/2876723655767943/?type=3&theater

Now the question is to know if only the cover will change or if there will be a small exclusive text.
Very unlikely though, as I think that it only happened once

https://scontent.fcdg1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p960x960/91628433_2876723672434608_7342601429825093632_o.jp g?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=2d5d41&_nc_ohc=qFA2BMZx6oYAX8h7B6h&_nc_ht=scontent.fcdg1-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=5c54222f4e0c1dbfa6f0378b56206496&oe=5EA94EF0

CyberGhostface
04-01-2020, 02:02 PM
I was hoping to get it from the library as I usually do but mine is going to be closed until May. :cry:

herbertwest
04-03-2020, 11:50 AM
I was told by the PR person at Scribner that the book was pushed to april 21st, and not 28th (like i previously thought).

The dates are not consistent across amazon and websites, but Scribner confirmed it to me !!!

For preordering it >>> https://amzn.to/3dYk9Sv

herbertwest
04-03-2020, 11:57 PM
According to one of my contacts, 21st is the ebook (usa/uk) and the book version will be on the 28th (usa /uk)

Stockerlone
04-04-2020, 12:56 AM
Stephen King - Blutige Nachrichten
pub. day: 10. August 2020
https://www.randomhouse.de/content/edition/cover/350px/9783453273078.jpg

herbertwest
04-04-2020, 07:08 AM
And the polish version :

https://club-stephenking.fr/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/ifitbleeds-stephenking-pologne.jpg

Brian861
04-04-2020, 09:40 AM
That German cover is cool.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-04-2020, 10:21 AM
I have ordered all the UK editions I could find and the US edition from The Book Depository in case I can't get to the bookstore.
I also have the slipcase and another US edition coming from CD.
The only ones I'm concerned about missing are any special UK hardcovers. Oh woe is me! But that is a minor matter compared to staying healthy.
And of course the darn proofs, the only ones of which I've seen so far are way beyond what I'm willing (or able) to pay. Oh woe is me again! But I can live without them, if just barely.

Garrell
04-04-2020, 11:10 AM
German wins for coolest cover.

Hunchback Jack
04-04-2020, 03:27 PM
I will probably just pick up the UK trade and WHSmith variant this time around. Unless Waterstones does another sprayed edge version.

Brian861
04-04-2020, 07:37 PM
German wins for coolest cover.

Agreed. They are stepping up their game lately. I really like The Institute cover as well.

herbertwest
04-05-2020, 02:39 AM
I will probably just pick up the UK trade and WHSmith variant this time around. Unless Waterstones does another sprayed edge version.

I wasnt told about any other variant than the WHSmith, so I dont think Waterstones will have one

herbertwest
04-07-2020, 03:28 AM
Well, new info directly from the UK publisher : 21st will be the official release date for both the ebook AND the book !

mikeC
04-08-2020, 07:41 AM
Have there been any reviews for this yet?

frik
04-08-2020, 07:44 AM

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-982137-97-7

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/stephen-king/if-it-bleeds/

sk

herbertwest
04-08-2020, 08:01 AM

Read it, but I'm on embargo until the release date :p

mikeC
04-10-2020, 07:15 AM

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-982137-97-7

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/stephen-king/if-it-bleeds/

sk

Wow, those stories sound great! I thought it was going to be in the mystery/crime genre bc of the Holly story. This is defintely more up my alley.
Thanks!

Roseannebarr
04-10-2020, 07:57 AM
found a copy for sale on ebay. they said they will ship within 3 days. got a copy yesterday! didn't start reading it yet.

Roseannebarr
04-12-2020, 09:27 PM
found a copy for sale on ebay. they said they will ship within 3 days. got a copy yesterday! didn't start reading it yet.

Read 3 of 4 so far. Enjoyed them all Rat is my favorite. Saved if it bleeds for tomorrow it is the longest of the 4 stories

Bev Vincent
04-16-2020, 03:54 AM
Listen to Steve reading from IF IT BLEEDS on YouTube on Friday April 17th at 2PM (Eastern).

https://www.bevvincent.com/messageboard/uploads/editor/y4/fkt28cf4t3ju.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/user/SimonSchusterVideos/videos

Bev Vincent
04-17-2020, 10:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edzUpphXr4w&feature=emb_logo

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-17-2020, 09:36 PM
Buckie Thistle football club get a mention. Thanks for the link Bev.

https://img-res.pitchero.com/?url=images.pitchero.com%2Fclub_logos%2F72129%2Fbu ckielogo_5a3fd0ab5f130.png&bg=null&h=180&w=180&t=square&q=80

Roseannebarr
04-17-2020, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edzUpphXr4w&feature=emb_logo

Thanks for posting! Always fun to see him read!

CyberGhostface
04-19-2020, 03:32 PM
"Featuring Holly Gibney, who is one of my favorite characters".

Who could have guessed? :P

mikeC
04-20-2020, 08:25 AM
Damn, amazon is selling this for almost $40! Anyone know a cheaper place to order it from?

Ari_Racing
04-20-2020, 08:37 AM
40?

It shows $18:

https://www.amazon.com/If-Bleeds-Stephen-King/dp/1982137975/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=if+it+bleeds&qid=1587400589&sr=8-1

mikeC
04-20-2020, 09:30 AM
40?

It shows $18:

https://www.amazon.com/If-Bleeds-Stephen-King/dp/1982137975/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=if+it+bleeds&qid=1587400589&sr=8-1

D'oh! I had the audio cd in my cart. Thanks Ari

Cook
04-20-2020, 09:38 AM
Anybody know if its at Costco yet ?

Randall Flagg
04-20-2020, 03:11 PM
It's in their stores, but they are pretty strict on not putting it out for sale until the street date (tomorrow).

Merlin1958
04-20-2020, 04:19 PM
It's in their stores, but they are pretty strict on not putting it out for sale until the street date (tomorrow).

But, Dolores has one for you she hid in the over head right, J? lol

sentinel
04-20-2020, 04:28 PM
Please buy from local independent bookstores and not Amazon. They are struggling right now.
You can go to Bookshop.org and buy from any bookstore you'd like.

kingfan2323
04-20-2020, 04:38 PM
Please buy from local independent bookstores and not Amazon. They are struggling right now.
You can go to Bookshop.org and buy from any bookstore you'd like.Plus, independent bookstores actually care about books and understand common decency and respect for collectors. It shows in the packing and condition of the book on arrival (usually).

seeking: anything DT related #246

Merlin1958
04-20-2020, 04:46 PM

I can't find it, my friend. https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=adk&hsimp=yhs-adk_sbnt&type=A1-athi-&param2=68bd6558-e0e8-4b85-ba34-d1aa38efbc2d&param3=searchmanager_~US~appfocus1~&param4=g-ccc1-lp0-dsf_searchmanager-cp_9092418609-srp-tst1--bb9~Chrome~Bookshop.org~EAC359F19D7A7430BFADA512F3 454B84&param1=20200407&p=Bookshop.org

Edit: Wait, is that it on Facebook? :doh:

Randall Flagg
04-20-2020, 04:49 PM
Try this:

https://bookshop.org/pages/store_locator

Lookwhoitis
04-20-2020, 06:03 PM
LOL i cant even afford to pay the amazon price, much less pay a higher price to support an independent bookstore...

I am hoping to win one of the copies that Cemetery Dance is giving away. If not i will have to wait for 66 holds in front of me to expire before I can borrow the e-book from my local library.

kingfan2323
04-20-2020, 06:09 PM
LOL i cant even afford to pay the amazon price, much less pay a higher price to support an independent bookstore...

I am hoping to win one of the copies that Cemetery Dance is giving away. If not i will have to wait for 66 holds in front of me to expire before I can borrow the e-book from my local library.Great point. When the price discrepancy gets that big it can be tough.

seeking: anything DT related #246

Garrell
04-21-2020, 12:08 PM
Amazon sucks on delivery at this time due to COVID. Pre ordered If It Bleeds only to find out today that they expect it to get delivered May 20:pullhair: Order cancelled.

Brian861
04-21-2020, 12:20 PM

I get all my trades from Camelot. Might cost a little more but it'll be Fine in Brodart. Plus, I usually always have something on lay-a-way with them anyway and add it to the next shipment.

mae
04-21-2020, 12:25 PM
EW has a new excerpt: https://ew.com/books/exclusive-excerpt-stephen-kings-newest-book-if-it-bleeds/

And Amazon's Look Inside features another one.

Randall Flagg
04-21-2020, 12:41 PM
Amazon sucks on delivery at this time due to COVID. Pre ordered If It Bleeds only to find out today that they expect it to get delivered May 20:pullhair: Order cancelled.
Costco has them. ~$18 plus tax =$20. I should have an extra or two. Still would take 3-5 days media mail ~$4, or 2 days Priority ~$8-$14 depending on how far from SF Bay Area you are.
Plus no waiting in line!

sentinel
04-21-2020, 04:47 PM
Here is a link to order If It Bleeds from your local Indie Bookstore where ever that may be.
https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781797104799

If you are in Florida you ae welcome to use zip code 32720 ! Thanks!

webstar1000
04-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Anyone read this yet? Is it any good?

Garrell
04-21-2020, 05:07 PM
Got one in purfect condition from Wally World. Thanks guys. Pic in my collection thread.

Ari_Racing
04-21-2020, 05:09 PM
I did. I liked it quite a bit. While most people I talked to liked the third story more, my favorite is THE LIFE OF CHUCK, it's the most unusual one, since the other three stories sound like King (Mr Harrigan's phone reminded me of Low men in yellow coats, Rat of Secret Windows, Secret Garden, and If it Bleeds of The Outsider).

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-21-2020, 10:35 PM
The Life of Chuck seamed to me to be written by someone other than King. I get a mention in If It Bleeds :)

frik
04-22-2020, 01:01 AM
Anyone read this yet? Is it any good?

Reading the first story, Mr. Harrigan's Phone, at the moment. Very low-key King, typical of his later work, but unmistakably his voice.
Really like it so far.

sk

herbertwest
04-22-2020, 01:01 AM
The Life of Chuck seamed to me to be written by someone other than King. I get a mention in If It Bleeds :)

Yep i saw that reference too !

Roseannebarr
04-22-2020, 05:08 AM
Rat was my favorite- even though it’s a story told a hundred times before.
Really liked Life of Chuck
Mr Harrigans phone really good except ending
Then holly story. Not much there but loved her philosophy in dealing with her mother. Does he have personal experience in dealing with someone like that? Tabitha? Very interesting

herbertwest
04-22-2020, 05:57 AM
Something bothered me with Harrigan's

(I thought that it wasn't needed to explain the reason why all this happens... you know, like the first computers / phones all had technical glitch)

Randall Flagg
04-26-2020, 09:37 AM
Has everyone in USA been able to obtain a copy? I have a spare if needed.

Merlin1958
04-26-2020, 09:42 AM

No!!! I fucking ordered mine in October from Amazon and it STILL has yet to arrive. I recently ordered a second and God knows when that will come.

Not soliciting for a copy as yet, J I can wait on my copies.

Randall Flagg
04-26-2020, 09:46 AM
All 5 of mine are true 1st editions.

MikeDuke
04-26-2020, 03:14 PM
Just ordered mine today.

RichardX
04-27-2020, 06:33 AM

No!!! I fucking ordered mine in October from Amazon and it STILL has yet to arrive. I recently ordered a second and God knows when that will come.

Not soliciting for a copy as yet, J I can wait on my copies.

I'm also still waiting on my Amazon copy. I sort of figured there would be a delay given how swamped they must be and the bizarre changes in the release date. Think positive. At least we didn't order from CD or we could be waiting years!

Ben Mears
04-27-2020, 06:53 AM
Try Walmart.com for in-store pick up with no shipping charge; it will arrive within two days.

mattgreenbean
04-28-2020, 04:24 AM
Got this message from Book Depository:
"We're sorry to let you know we are unable to fulfill your order of the below items, and have issued a refund. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused."
No explanation.

Guess I won't be getting my UK copy. That sucks, I liked that cover much better. Guess I'll track down a US copy.

RichardX
04-28-2020, 03:53 PM
Still waiting on Amazon. The irony is I could walk to one of their giant warehouses in about 15 minutes.

Aremag
04-30-2020, 02:44 PM
Just received one of my copies today from Barnes and Noble and their packing sucks as bad as Amazon. Too big of a box and one small sheet of that bigger bubble wrap so it was just bouncing around in the box. This will be my reader copy and the copy coming from CD should be in better condition. Now to start reading!

St. Troy
05-02-2020, 09:15 AM
So, what is the cover like? The typical cover image I see online is one thing, but a few pics I've seen of actual physical copies seem like a shiny, textured gold (looks nice, if that's what it is).

mae
05-02-2020, 09:28 AM
So, what is the cover like? The typical cover image I see online is one thing, but a few pics I've seen of actual physical copies seem like a shiny, textured gold (looks nice, if that's what it is).

The video quality isn't the best but from this it looks like it is textured with glossy raised lettering, similar to The Outsider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ebaMdF3iA

St. Troy
05-02-2020, 09:35 AM
Thanks

Br!an
05-02-2020, 11:14 AM
The background is a smooth matte finish, the lettering is raised/embossed high gloss and the rat/cat's nose is also raised/embossed.

Curly
07-04-2020, 05:01 AM
Buckie Thistle's blossoming bond with best-selling author Stephen King

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/153DC/production/_113240078_king.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53290374?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland&link_location=live-reporting-story

CyberGhostface
07-10-2020, 02:37 PM
Stephen King’s latest bestselling four novella collection If It Bleeds has quickly garnered three option deals, with a fourth in the offing because it involves a preexisting character who just starred in an HBO series adaptation. For those who know that King extends options for $1, that’s an extra $4 in the prolific author’s pocket, with a lot more coming when they get made.

Netflix, Blumhouse and Ryan Murphy have teamed to option the book’s first tale, Mr. Harrigan’s Phone, which John Lee Hancock will adapt and direct. Jason Blum, Murphy and Carla Hacken will produce the feature.

Rat has been optioned to Ben Stiller, who intends to product, direct and star in the feature.

And Darren Aronofsky’s Protozoa has optioned The Life Of Chuck. At this point, Aronofsky is just aboard as producer.

The fourth installment, Let It Bleed, might have found a deal of its own, but it revolves around Holly, the clairvoyant detective played indelibly in the HBO limited series The Outsider by Cynthia Erivo. Don’t be surprised if the If It Bleed bleeds into the future of the series.
https://deadline.com/2020/07/stephen-king-novella-if-it-bleeds-netflix-john-lee-hancock-jason-blum-ryan-murphy-ben-stiller-darren-aronofsky-1202982769/

Brian861
07-10-2020, 02:43 PM
I really enjoyed Mr. Harrigan's Phone because it felt like classic King to me. Didn't get the point of The Life of Chuck. I'm currently on If It Bleeds and it reads, so far, like The Outsider Part 2.

DoctorZaius
07-11-2020, 10:07 AM
Stephen King’s latest bestselling four novella collection If It Bleeds has quickly garnered three option deals, with a fourth in the offing because it involves a preexisting character who just starred in an HBO series adaptation. For those who know that King extends options for $1, that’s an extra $4 in the prolific author’s pocket, with a lot more coming when they get made.

Netflix, Blumhouse and Ryan Murphy have teamed to option the book’s first tale, Mr. Harrigan’s Phone, which John Lee Hancock will adapt and direct. Jason Blum, Murphy and Carla Hacken will produce the feature.

Rat has been optioned to Ben Stiller, who intends to product, direct and star in the feature.

And Darren Aronofsky’s Protozoa has optioned The Life Of Chuck. At this point, Aronofsky is just aboard as producer.

The fourth installment, Let It Bleed, might have found a deal of its own, but it revolves around Holly, the clairvoyant detective played indelibly in the HBO limited series The Outsider by Cynthia Erivo. Don’t be surprised if the If It Bleed bleeds into the future of the series.
https://deadline.com/2020/07/stephen-king-novella-if-it-bleeds-netflix-john-lee-hancock-jason-blum-ryan-murphy-ben-stiller-darren-aronofsky-1202982769/

Saw this, but it seems like shoddy reporting, as usual. To my knowledge, King does not option his work for $1 - never has, never will. King uses what he calls "Dollar Babies," which his website describes as the following: "These stories are not under contract for movies, which means they are available for film students who want to try their hands at a Stephen King story. If you want to be one of my dollar babies, send us your info." King is in the business of making money. Nothing wrong with that. If these are being optioned for production then they are paying handsomely. I hate when these articles can't get things right.

Ari_Racing
07-11-2020, 11:14 AM
Actually, the option for The Dark Tower was sold to JJ Abrahms for 1 buck. And if my memory serves well, so did Christine back in the early 80s.

jon10g
07-17-2020, 12:10 PM
The Guardian reports that one of the signed books King gave to the club sold for £900. The other is in their trophy room.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/17/stephen-king-buckie-thistle-if-it-bleeds

Buckie Thistle's blossoming bond with best-selling author Stephen King

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/153DC/production/_113240078_king.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53290374?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland&link_location=live-reporting-story

herbertwest
07-18-2020, 12:54 AM
Was it sold on ebay, locally through the club?

jon10g
07-18-2020, 08:02 AM
Sold through the club.

Was it sold on ebay, locally through the club?

Stockerlone
11-06-2020, 03:07 AM
Stephen King - Blutige Nachrichten / If it Bleeds
German HC - Publisher Heyne
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/PICT0370.JPG

jreitan47
11-12-2021, 01:30 PM
The Pocket Books paperback of IF IT BLEEDS will be released July 26, 2022.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/If-Bleeds-Stephen-King/dp/1982138009/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=%22stephen+king%22&qid=1636752471&qsid=140-1757976-1575602&sr=8-3&sres=B09JPK5FB8%2CB09KPT2XMD%2C1982138009%2CB09JG8 8VS9%2CB09K5X7QS1%2CB09L5G8Z4H%2CB09JFPLHL2%2CB09H SMKJPS%2CB09KNM3KKR%2CB09KQ1MW2D%2CB09K7P4PP9%2CB0 9K6NY1V4%2CB09K5RJSQP%2CB09HXYS8BB%2CB09GYPSTK3%2C B09CLL7CDS

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Pcn8Mo+HL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-12-2021, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the info!

herbertwest
11-12-2021, 02:18 PM
Is it me or the cover seems a bit oblong? Is that a normal format?

Br!an
11-12-2021, 05:02 PM
Is it me or the cover seems a bit oblong? Is that a normal format?

No, that seems tall.

Ricky
11-12-2021, 05:04 PM
I've seen those paperback sizes in the store and can't stand them. I won't buy them unless it's the only version available.

herbertwest
12-19-2021, 02:42 AM
The US Mass Market Paperback of If It Bleeds will be released July 26, 2022.

(via lilja)

http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/if-it-bleeds_pocket.jpg