PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen on HBO

fernandito
05-09-2019, 05:15 PM
I know there's lots of Watchmen fans on here.

What did y'all think about the trailer? Excited for the show? Will Lindelof get it right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zymgtV99Rko

Merlin1958
05-09-2019, 05:27 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

RUBE
05-11-2019, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure exactly what that was. Are they showing what happens years after the original comic/movie is set or is this just completely changing the story?

Merlin1958
05-11-2019, 08:18 AM
I'm not sure exactly what that was. Are they showing what happens years after the original comic/movie is set or is this just completely changing the story?

Then read this........................................

https://www.aintitcool.com/hbo-releases-brand-new-teaser-trailer-for-watchmen-82125/

mae
05-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Very much looking forward to this. And just in case anyone missed it, we have a thread dedicated to DC shows here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19371-Arrow-The-Flash-Supergirl-Legends-of-Tomorrow-(and-other-DC-TV-shows) Does this really need its own?

Merlin1958
05-11-2019, 09:49 AM

Did my post help? It apparently takes place after the events of the comic book. Looks really interesting and cool to me.

RUBE
05-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the link. That explains it in part but I am not sure how excited I am about a show based on a Rorshach cult.

Merlin1958
05-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the link. That explains it in part but I am not sure how excited I am about a show based on a Rorshach cult.

YW. I'm not trying to sell you on the show or anything, but who knows where they take the story from there? I think the article mentions that super heroes are still illegal and they didn't describe the roles Dr. Manhattan and company will play. I'm going to give it a half dozen episodes or so before I make up my mind FWIW.

fernandito
05-12-2019, 07:06 AM
I'm excited to see the state of affairs in a post Rorschach-journal world.

Also like that Jeremy Irons will be playing an old Ozymandias, you just know he's gonna have a hand in things.

Merlin1958
05-12-2019, 10:10 AM
I'm excited to see the state of affairs in a post Rorschach-journal world.

Also like that Jeremy Irons will be playing an old Ozymandias, you just know he's gonna have a hand in things.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I too am looking forward to see where they go from the original ending.

Does anyone know if the original creator, Alan Moore is involved in some fashion?

fernandito
05-13-2019, 12:38 AM
Nope. Moore has openly detested any and all adaptations of his works, especially this one.

It's okay, he's not exactly playing with a full deck these days lol.

Still Servant
05-13-2019, 02:20 PM
I don't know what to think. I thought the trailer looked amazing. I had no idea it was Watchmen and I started to make a note to watch it. Then it said Watchmen and I was like shit, now what.

I hated the film, so I'm not sure what to do.

fernandito
05-13-2019, 02:44 PM
I don't know what to think. I thought the trailer looked amazing. I had no idea it was Watchmen and I started to make a note to watch it. Then it said Watchmen and I was like shit, now what.

I hated the film, so I'm not sure what to do.

Oh don't worry I'll tell you what to do

https://media1.tenor.com/images/eb1ffeaef27b58b75beb7d5c86009ec7/tenor.gif?itemid=3462003

fernandito
05-13-2019, 02:46 PM
No in all serious tho. Yes, the movie is a shell of the game changing novel it's based on, but there are some tantalizing ways they can continue the story - this is one of them.

Mike, I'd urge you to read the comic if you're stuck between wanting to give the story another chance or not. It's a seminal work of art for many reasons.

Still Servant
05-13-2019, 03:51 PM
No in all serious tho. Yes, the movie is a shell of the game changing novel it's based on, but there are some tantalizing ways they can continue the story - this is one of them.

Mike, I'd urge you to read the comic if you're stuck between wanting to give the story another chance or not. It's a seminal work of art for many reasons.

Isn't it super long? Ain't nobody got time for that.

fernandito
05-13-2019, 04:19 PM
I read once somewhere that the average reader could finish Watchmen in a little under 8 hours. That's less than a standard season of any given show.

Just sacrifice one of those average shows you seem to watch and read that instead :)

RUBE
05-15-2019, 08:13 PM
I didn't think the movie was that bad (I enjoyed it in fact) but the graphic novel is amazing. The prose pieces added in between the graphic chapters really add depth to the story. The movie tried to stay as true as possible except changing the details of Ozymandias' plot but there is just too much detail to fit in a single movie.

The main reason I'm not sure about this show is that Rorshach wasn't my favorite character and the show seems to have some Rorshach worship in it.

mattgreenbean
05-16-2019, 06:32 AM

Isn't it super long? Ain't nobody got time for that.

You can watch the motion comic version.

https://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Complete-Motion-Tom-Stechschulte/dp/B001QFYLJY

One guy narrates the whole thing and it's awesome! It's the entire book. Nothing cut out.

Still Servant
05-16-2019, 03:28 PM
I read once somewhere that the average reader could finish Watchmen in a little under 8 hours. That's less than a standard season of any given show.

Just sacrifice one of those average shows you seem to watch and read that instead :)

Average shows!?! Which ones? I want names!

fernandito
06-12-2019, 10:54 AM
HBO's Watchmen series teases new character (https://winteriscoming.net/2019/06/10/hbos-watchmen-series-teases-new-character/)

fernandito
09-03-2019, 04:57 PM
Damon Lindelof’s ‘Watchmen’ Adaptation Gets Premiere Date From HBO

HBO has set the premiere date for Damon Lindelof’s highly-anticipated adaptation of “Watchmen.”

The series will premiere on Sunday, Oct. 20 at 9 p.m. A week later, “Silicon Valley” will return for its sixth and final season, which will air at 10 p.m.

Source (https://www.thewrap.com/watchmen-premiere-date-hbo-damon-lindelof/)

Rjeso
09-04-2019, 02:47 AM
After the masterpiece that was The Leftovers, I trust Lindelof with anything.

fernandito
09-04-2019, 07:53 AM
Didn't The Leftovers end on a sour note, creatively speaking?

Rjeso
09-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Not that I'm aware of...

mae
09-10-2019, 03:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVK1-1vwAzE

fernandito
09-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Tick tock, tick tock...

mae
09-13-2019, 03:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-33JCGEGzwU

Merlin1958
10-06-2019, 12:11 PM
Premiere is right around the corner, Mae!!!!! Excited for this, anyone?

fernandito
10-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Tick Tock. Tick Tock.

Merlin1958
10-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Tick...Tock...Tick...Tock...Tick...Tock

MUST READ!!!!! FIRST 6 EPISODES REVIEWED!!!!!!!!!

https://www.aintitcool.com/herc-loves-hbo-watchmen-82543/

We're in for a real treat, my friends!!!!!!!!!

mae
10-19-2019, 01:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJvcvQZeHK0

Merlin1958
10-19-2019, 01:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJvcvQZeHK0

Cool, but you want to read the article above for loads of non-spoilery material. IMHO

allasorte
10-20-2019, 08:12 PM
I don't know what I just watched. A racist militia vs fascist cops. Not sure I have seen a storyline like this before. Sarcasm.

Merlin1958
10-20-2019, 09:04 PM

Edit: I was in a hurry to post last night, but I loved the premiere!!!! Obviously, lots of initial set up for the series. A really good kick off to the show. I hope Dr. Manhattan makes an appearance (in the flesh so to speak lol) the overall dynamic of the show and the world they have created in the aftermath of the incident looks very cool indeed. This one makes you think (like "Westworld") and I love that!!! Looking forward very much to the ensuing episodes!!!!

Still Servant
10-21-2019, 11:57 AM
I don't know what I just watched. A racist militia vs fascist cops. Not sure I have seen a storyline like this before. Sarcasm.

I came here to say the same thing. What did I just watch?

mae
10-23-2019, 03:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJOUk4iaHTg

Merlin1958
10-23-2019, 04:11 PM
That was a great video, Mae!!! I was very happy to find that I caught most of the "Easter Eggs" in the episode. I thought it was a very good initial episode and look forward to watching the story unfold!!!

Merlin1958
10-23-2019, 04:13 PM
That was a great video, Mae!!! I was very happy to find that I caught most of the "Easter Eggs" in the episode. I thought it was a very good initial episode and look forward to watching the story unfold!!!

Very to cool to see that they obviously respect and revere the source material. Makes me feel that this sequel is in good hands and will be an awesome spectacle to unfold for us to see!!!

DanHocker
10-24-2019, 10:10 AM

I came here to say the same thing. What did I just watch?

This storyline is a diversion. It's setup to make you think that it's the big conflict when there is a much larger thing going on in the background. Personally I really enjoyed the first episode.

Still Servant
11-11-2019, 08:09 AM
I just can't get into this one, fellas and fellaettes. Not sure why.

allasorte
11-18-2019, 05:42 PM
I think I am eating crow. After the first 2 episodes, I have felt the show has progressed much better and each episodes seems better then the last. I am intrigued by what I am seeing and interested in where it is going.

Merlin1958
11-18-2019, 06:05 PM
I think I am eating crow. After the first 2 episodes, I have felt the show has progressed much better and each episodes seems better then the last. I am intrigued by what I am seeing and interested in where it is going.

Merlin1958
12-01-2019, 09:14 PM

This is an awesome show!!! As you predicted, each episode is better than the last!!! And now......................................

Dr. Manhattan!!!!!!

allasorte
12-08-2019, 08:56 AM

This is an awesome show!!! As you predicted, each episode is better than the last!!! And now......................................

Dr. Manhattan!!!!!!

To slam on the brakes, I felt the "two much background story" was simply too much and not needed for Sister Night and her family. Sure it was interesting but it truly dragged out and I felt this episode was almost unwatchable. The last episode had MORE backstory on Sister Night and she is not one of my favorite characters nor do I like her as an actor in real life. Couldn't have found anyone better for this part? The ending of the episode saved it with the tell all, but we have two episodes left. The most interesting characters are hidden in prison and imprisoned but they don't get much screen time. See what happens.

Merlin1958
12-08-2019, 10:34 AM

Dr. Manhattan!!!!!!

To slam on the brakes, I felt the "two much background story" was simply too much and not needed for Sister Night and her family. Sure it was interesting but it truly dragged out and I felt this episode was almost unwatchable. The last episode had MORE backstory on Sister Night and she is not one of my favorite characters nor do I like her as an actor in real life. Couldn't have found anyone better for this part? The ending of the episode saved it with the tell all, but we have two episodes left. The most interesting characters are hidden in prison and imprisoned but they don't get much screen time. See what happens.

I really don't know what to say to all of that. I mean, no offense but are you really watching?

The back story on Sister Night is critical to the entire storyline so far. And that was before we found out that she was sleeping with Dr. Manhattan!!! Can't wait to find out what that was all about. I think you really have to try and distance yourself from your bias for the actress. I don't know what you mean by imprisoned characters, Veidt? That whole story line has yet to be revealed but it's a good bet his predicament has to do with the Giant Squid incident!!! lol

allasorte
12-08-2019, 10:46 AM
I am simply mentioning the backstories are drawn out too long, we don't have a ton of episodes left, and the present story is much more interesting. There are two original Watchmen in prison and still alive. Remember? I'm watching it. I enjoyed episodes 3-5 and the ending of the last episode. Episode 6, which is predominantly all backstory, has a major drop off in ratings for any of the current episodes run thus far. The show isn't bad, it has it's ups and downs, but I'm not loving it overall and no one talks about it at work. I'm not stating the ratings are the makings of a good or bad show, just stating what I've read. The most intriguing character by far is Veidt and his trial was a joke.

Merlin1958
12-08-2019, 02:58 PM
I am simply mentioning the backstories are drawn out too long, we don't have a ton of episodes left, and the present story is much more interesting. There are two original Watchmen in prison and still alive. Remember? I'm watching it. I enjoyed episodes 3-5 and the ending of the last episode. Episode 6, which is predominantly all backstory, has a major drop off in ratings for any of the current episodes run thus far. The show isn't bad, it has it's ups and downs, but I'm not loving it overall and no one talks about it at work. I'm not stating the ratings are the makings of a good or bad show, just stating what I've read. The most intriguing character by far is Veidt and his trial was a joke.

I didn't mean to come off snarky. I'm just enjoying the show very much. Could the back story have been a little more condensed? You bet, but of course they have to be sure to ram their social commentary down your throat as everyone in Hollywood seems to be compelled to do these days. You got me though, which "original watchmen" are in jail? I thought I was paying pretty good attention.

Viedt is definitely a very interesting character and I can't wait to find out exactly what that whole situation is exactly about and who or what put him there. I have my theories of course, but I look forward to a full reveal. However the "Dr. Manhattan" reveal sure got my attention!!! I also assume that they are looking to do multiple seasons of the show which may be to blame for some of the slow pace. Normally the pace would bother me a well, but for some reason I'm cool with it in this show. BTW the music is phenomenal IMHO. Sorry you're not enjoying it as much as I am. I hope, Lindeloff doesn't disappoint me again!!! lol lol

Still Servant
12-08-2019, 03:03 PM
I only see Merlin and Allasorte commenting here. Is anyone else watching? I'm trying to figure out if I should catch up.

allasorte
12-08-2019, 03:44 PM
I only see Merlin and Allasorte commenting here. Is anyone else watching? I'm trying to figure out if I should catch up.

I would Mike. It's only 9 total episodes for the season and overall I have liked it. Though I have several things I don't like about the show, there are worse things out there to spend your time on television wise.

allasorte
12-09-2019, 02:37 PM
We got more Angela backstory which I am not fond of. It was nice dialogue, but it's taking too long to get to the present. Regardless, dealing with two of my favorite characters together, Dr. Manhattan and Veidt, was by far the best parts of the episode. I didn't get the ending though. One more episode left so I am hoping it is a good one.

Still Servant
12-09-2019, 06:51 PM

I would Mike. It's only 9 total episodes for the season and overall I have liked it. Though I have several things I don't like about the show, there are worse things out there to spend your time on television wise.

There certainly are worse things. I will keep it in the queue.

Are you a little surprised the film hasn't been more buzzed-about though?

allasorte
12-09-2019, 07:29 PM

There certainly are worse things. I will keep it in the queue.

Are you a little surprised the film hasn't been more buzzed-about though?

I'm pissed about that, I truly enjoyed the film and even the director's cut which was roughly 30 plus minutes longer. I even watched the graphic comic I enjoyed the Watchmen world so much. People.....

Merlin1958
12-15-2019, 12:31 AM
I'm with you, Allasorte this is an awesome show and I'm surprised there isn't way more chatter going on here about it. However, I saw this article on AICN and thought it was good and might spark some discourse prior to the season finale this evening........................

First of all: holy shit, you guys. There are so many layers here. I feel like the show rewards rewatching, much like the original comic series invited re-reading and interpretation while you waited for the next issue. As a meditation on the superhero genre, the show is really just super smart. It gets to the heart of what superhero stories are about, which is trauma and the ways we struggle to resolve trauma and seek justice by creating meaning out of what happened to us - that trauma is an origin story for the hero we're meant to be. Each of these characters wears the trauma of their origin story. That Hooded Justice is a black man who was about to be lynched, who then ran out and fought crime with a noose around his neck, makes TOTAL SENSE. His wife is incredulous that he put the hood back on, and why wouldn't she be? Reliving your trauma makes no sense to the rational mind. But to our subconscious, it feels like we're resolving something. Mirror Guy, aka Looking Glass, can't get over the humiliation and pain that happened when he was in the hall of mirrors, to the point where, even when he knows the squid attack was a hoax, he STILL goes back and gets his expensive security alert system out of the trash - because that's what it takes for him to feel secure.

Mirror guy having a bad night.

And then there's intergenerational trauma. OH YES. Which episode 6 explored with such a degree of sophistication that I don't even know where to begin talking about it. I mean, aside from being beautifully shot, the fluidity between Angela and her grandfather's experience in THIS EXTRAORDINARY BEING is both beautiful and terrifying, and encapsulates an "origin story" for Angela's search for justice that resonates through generations of people she never even met. I mean, look at this. Is this not Sister Night's origin, as well as Will Reeves's?

Sister Night reliving the memories of Hooded Justice, in the mirror.

Are we gonna get to explore Silk Spectre's intergenerational trauma next? Cause OMG OMG YOU GUYS I don't know if I can handle it.

Speaking of what happens next - what are your predictions for tomorrow's finale? If you're not into making/reading predictions, you can skip the rest, but here are my thoughts/questions/proposals:

Dr Manhattan in Vietnam

First of all: Did Dr. Manhattan kill Angela's grandmother? After Angela's grandmother dropped dead of a heart attack, the camera pans back to a mural of Dr. Manhattan on the wall behind her, with the word "Murderer" scrawled on it. Dr. Manhattan knows all, and sees time backwards and forwards. Would he have influenced events just to keep Angela in Vietnam? So he could meet her in the bar 25 years later? Come to think of it, the original Cal Abar died from a "suspected heart attack" as well. There are just a lot of people keeling over with convenient heart attacks in Vietnam, is all I'm saying.

Second: is Angela going to take over Dr. Manhattan's powers? There's been some speculation on this point around the internet, and here's how I think it's gonna go down. Remember when Angela and Jon are in the bar and he says that technically, he could imbue organic material with his powers and transfer them, and she says, "you mean I could eat an egg and walk on water?" And then when Jon comes back, he walks on water, saying "you're going to need to see this later." And then goes and makes breakfast, pulling eggs out of the refrigerator. But Angela smashes the eggs. Does this indicate a lack of consent (Jon said he'd never transfer his powers without the other person's consent?)

I don't necessarily agree with the theories posited by this writer, but it does get you thinking. I was surprised she didn't touch on the, Veidt story. There may be some credibility to the Abar/Dr. Manhattan theory. There just seems to be too many hints for it to be off, but we shall see. I propose that all of us still with the show commence a re-watch/binge a week or so after the finale and come back here with your thoughts. Any takers?

Joe315
12-15-2019, 12:35 AM
I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it.

Question for those that read the comics or have more knowledge of the mythos. Can manhattan actually experience love? Or is his love of Angela just created for this show?

Merlin1958
12-15-2019, 12:53 AM
I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it.

Question for those that read the comics or have more knowledge of the mythos. Can manhattan actually experience love? Or is his love of Angela just created for this show?

Yes, he can. He was formerly in love with the current FBI lady (Silk Specter). Though why he tried love again after her I am not sure. In the GN he became disinterested in her and she had enough of his disappearances if I recall correctly. I draw your attention to the FBI lady placing the, Dr. Manhattan call in the specially designed "Mars phone booth".

allasorte
12-17-2019, 03:46 PM
I've heard rumors that this might be a one and done series. I would not lose any sleep if that were true. I enjoyed much of this finale episode, though I felt some of the characters didn't get what they deserved. I won't go into detail, but overall I felt this show was better then average.

Merlin1958
12-17-2019, 07:10 PM
I too enjoyed the living shit out of this and there definitely is a chance for a season two. I find it hard to believe that, Manhattan allowed himself to be destroyed.

I don't see how or why he couldn't re-constitute himself as he did initially in the novel. The whole "Egg" symbolism/plotline would seem to support that in some way.

DanHocker
12-27-2019, 11:27 AM
My understanding of the show was that it was always supposed to be essentially a mini series, one season and no more. That said I really kinda like that it's one and done. I don't need every show to be beat to death with tons of seasons until they run out of ideas and ruin it. More stuff like this would be really refreshing. One season of TV with a cohesive story that's planned out from the beginning.

Shannon
05-03-2020, 11:15 PM
Not reading the comments yet, don't want to be spoiled, one more to go, which I'll start as soon as I'm done smoking.

Just had to comment, for a show which I've found to be mostly unimpressive, the eighth episode is one of the best examples of clever time-travel I've ever seen. Fantastically written, here's hoping the finale is just as entertaining. Be back tomorrow.

Merlin1958
05-04-2020, 08:26 AM
Not reading the comments yet, don't want to be spoiled, one more to go, which I'll start as soon as I'm done smoking.

Just had to comment, for a show which I've found to be mostly unimpressive, the eighth episode is one of the best examples of clever time-travel I've ever seen. Fantastically written, here's hoping the finale is just as entertaining. Be back tomorrow.

Yes, they probably could have told the story with a couple less episodes, but I for one found the writing, acting and production to be pretty darn fantastic. The finale was great IMHO.

Shannon
05-04-2020, 10:59 AM
It was a slow burn for sure. I mean, the first episode and last episode are only vaguely connected to each other. I've never seen a television season go from cops vs. racist fucks to trying to steal a God's power and space moon prison escapes so fast lol.

All in all an enjoyable show, but the rating definitely went up due to the back half.

Next season to watch (this week) will be either the newest seasons of the Purge or Grey's Anatomy.

Merlin1958
05-04-2020, 02:35 PM
It was a slow burn for sure. I mean, the first episode and last episode are only vaguely connected to each other. I've never seen a television season go from cops vs. racist fucks to trying to steal a God's power and space moon prison escapes so fast lol.

All in all an enjoyable show, but the rating definitely went up due to the back half.

Next season to watch (this week) will be either the newest seasons of the Purge or Grey's Anatomy.

BILLIONS!!!!!!

Also, PENNY DREADFULL: CITY OF ANGELS, is usually a solid show in the past.

fernandito
07-29-2020, 09:52 AM
Finally finished this last weekend. What a fantastic show. I've been critical of Lindelof in the past, but he really did some great work here.

Also I see Watchmen was nominated for a s-load of Emmys, and deservedly so.