PDA

View Full Version : Disney+

mae
04-12-2019, 06:22 AM
http://collider.com/disney-plus-update-details-streaming-service/

First thing’s first: Disney+ will launch on November 12, 2019 and will cost $6.99 a month. And it looks like Disney is gonna give you some bang for you bucks (not to mention ensuring themselves a healthy subscriber base) by including content from across the Disney brands, including Walt Disney Animation, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic, as well as titles from the recent Fox acquisition. Here are the details

Captain Marvel will be available on the service from Day 1.
The entire Signature Collection (which includes animated classics like Bambi, The Lion King, and The Little Mermaid,) will be available on the day of launch.
Live-action Disney films including Mary Poppins and Alice in Wonderland (2010) will also be available day of launch.
All Pixar films will be available within the first year of launch and all Pixar theatrical shorts will be available from Day 1.
Disney+ will allow downloading so that all shows and movies on the service can be accessed offline.
The service will come with customized settings and individual profiles, including the option to create a custom avatar with characters from the Disney library.
Disney plans to roll out the service in “each major region of the world” in the next two years.
The series will debut Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2, a documentary that goes captures the behind-the-scenes process of making the animated film.
Disney+ will host a series of Pixar shorts called Forky Asks A Question, based on the new character in Toy Story 4, available on Day 1 of the launch. Bo Peep will also get her own short, titled Lamp Life.
The Scarlett Witch and Vision series starring Elizbeth Olsen and Paul Bettany will be called WandaVision.
Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan will team for a series titled Falcon and Winter Soldier.
Other films set to debut on Disney+ including Timmy Failure from Oscar Winner Tom McCarthy (Spotlight), an Alaskan sled dog adventure titled Togo starring Willem Dafoe, Disney’s live-action remake of Lady and the Tramp, the Christmas comedy Noelle starring Anna Kendrick and Bill Hader, and the Young Adult drama Stargirl based on the best-selling novel of the same name.
NatGeo will roll out 250+ hours worth of content at launch, including the 2019 Oscar and BAFTA Best Documentary winner Free Solo.
NatGeo’s The World According to Jeff Goldblum will premiere at launch.
Over 5000 hours of Disney Channel series and 100 Disney Channel Original Movies will be available at launch, as well as the new High School Musical series, High School Musical: The Musical.
The original voice cast of Phineas and Ferb will return for The Phineas and Ferb Movie (working title), which will debut exclusively on the streaming service.
Former Fox titles including films like The Sound of Music and The Princess Bride will be available, as well as series like Malcolm in the Middle.
Disney+ will be the exclusive streaming home for all 30 seasons of The Simpsons.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D35-aWAUwAAaQ4e.jpg:large

fernandito
04-12-2019, 08:32 AM
The $6.99 is a great price for the content they're offering, but it'll probably be up by about 20% after the second year.

I love Disney so I'll probably give this a shot for at least 2 months. If it impresses me I'll keep the subscription. It all depends on whatever new content they create.

Joe315
04-12-2019, 08:37 AM
6.99 ain’t bad. Was expecting a higher price point because it’s Disney.

fernandito
04-12-2019, 08:42 AM
6.99 ain’t bad. Was expecting a higher price point because it’s Disney.

This price point is just an entry into the digital space. They'll use it to hook new viewers and steer people towards cancelling their Netflix service.

mae
04-12-2019, 08:49 AM
steer people towards cancelling their Netflix service.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/4BvHSffsBtRJu/giphy.gif

Earl of Popkin
04-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Really tough to say no to $70/year

The Mouse means business

Hunchback Jack
04-12-2019, 12:30 PM
steer people towards cancelling their Netflix service.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/4BvHSffsBtRJu/giphy.gif

Not a ridiculous idea, the way Netflix has been cancelling its content lately.

fernandito
04-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Yup, it's not really that far fetched. Honestly Netflix's original content is really not all that impressive save for a handful of programming - and some of thsoe they've already cancelled.

Disney has a pedigree and they could potentially entice studios to jettison Netflix and sign deals with them instead.

Netflix is shitting bricks right now, that's for damn sure.

Earl of Popkin
04-12-2019, 01:40 PM
I think Disney’s price point is absolutely a shot across the bow at Netflix. They’ve been quietly raising their price a buck or two here and there and now the 10-15 Netflix we pay is gonna look like way too much compared to what you get for $7.

Of course it’s all moot ka is a wheel and someone is just going to bundle all these streams and offer them for $75ish and we’ll be right back to traditional cable model

mae
04-12-2019, 06:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn1HE5dIB88

Merlin1958
04-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Well, I suppose this is a must subscribe for every self respecting grandparent out there. lol lol

Mattrick
04-12-2019, 10:34 PM
I guess it's maybe worth it for the existing catalogue. That new content though...you couldn't pay me to watch it.

Mattrick
04-12-2019, 10:35 PM
I think Disney’s price point is absolutely a shot across the bow at Netflix. They’ve been quietly raising their price a buck or two here and there and now the 10-15 Netflix we pay is gonna look like way too much compared to what you get for $7.

Of course it’s all moot ka is a wheel and someone is just going to bundle all these streams and offer them for $75ish and we’ll be right back to traditional cable model

Disney also doesn't have to pay any licensing fees and they can easily afford to make their own content. Netflix couldn't exist as it is on 6.99. I'm amazed it exists as is for what it costs tbh.

Still Servant
04-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Until Disney+ starts producing content that you can only find on Disney+, I don't think Netflix should be concerned.

Having access to Captain Marvel and all of their classic animated films is great, but it's all stuff that people have seen and more than likely already own. As for Marvel films, we know they will be available in theaters. There's only one place you are finding things like Stranger Things and that's on Netflix.

I'm sure Disney will start to roll out original content, but they have to be careful with that too. Spinoffs of current properties will run the risk of feeling like the bargain bin or direct to DVD content we've seen from them for decades.

DanHocker
04-15-2019, 08:10 AM
For me Disney+ will be just like every other service (except Prime Video). It'll maybe get a month or two at a time before I bounce my subscription over to one of the other services. They way I consume this type of content doesn't really require me to be subscribed to these services constantly. I usually subscribe for a specific show binge the whole season in a week and then I'm basically done with that service until the next specific show I want to see comes out. Prime Video is the only exception, just because it's bundled with Prime.

Ricky
04-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Spinoffs of current properties will run the risk of feeling like the bargain bin or direct to DVD content we've seen from them for decades.

This is what the majority of Netflix's original movies are like. :lol:

fernandito
04-15-2019, 12:57 PM
Spinoffs of current properties will run the risk of feeling like the bargain bin or direct to DVD content we've seen from them for decades.

Lol, yeah seriously. I groan when I see new Netflix originals honestly.

Still Servant
04-15-2019, 03:07 PM

I don't disagree, but at least they are original content and not watered down versions of beloved classics. All you're going to get from Disney+ is shit like Aladdin and the Return of Jafar.

mae
04-15-2019, 03:09 PM
Disney+ will have originals too, numerous series tied to the MCU, several Star Wars series, etc.

Still Servant
04-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Disney+ will have originals too, numerous series tied to the MCU, several Star Wars series, etc.

I'm sure they will. What I'm saying is the quality of those tie-ins will determine if the service is worth it.

I'm more interested in seeing if they produce original properties that you can't find in theaters.

fernandito
04-15-2019, 03:19 PM
I think that Disney+ will overtake Netflix eventually, but they're still at a disadvantage when it comes to content.

It's taken Netflix years and years to cultivate their selection and user base, that shit just doesn't happen overnight.

mae
04-15-2019, 03:28 PM
The advantage Disney+ has is branding. They have Marvel, Star Wars, and all the Fox properties now including The Simpsons. Netflix already has plenty of great originals (Stranger Things, for example), but they need to acquire more recognizable brands. They've been buying up lesser known comic properties and they've made a deal to develop Narnia as a series and Cowboy Bebop and The Witcher, and so on, but they do need recognizable brands as well. Like, they could buy, let's say, Sony with their Spider-Man properties. But on the other hand I think Netflix's idea is to have everything for everyone, so there is just tons of original content of all kinds, while Disney's will be very Disney. We won't ever have a Disney+ version of Orange Is the New Black or something.

fernandito
04-15-2019, 03:48 PM
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how Disney approaches their content. Like you said Netflix has everything for everyone.. Disney will probably need to tinker with their formula as all their stuff is tethered around being 'family friendly'.

Ricky
04-15-2019, 04:26 PM

I don't disagree, but at least they are original content and not watered down versions of beloved classics. All you're going to get from Disney+ is shit like Aladdin and the Return of Jafar.

Yeah, I see what you mean with that.

DanHocker
04-16-2019, 06:50 AM
The advantage Disney+ has is branding. They have Marvel, Star Wars, and all the Fox properties now including The Simpsons. Netflix already has plenty of great originals (Stranger Things, for example), but they need to acquire more recognizable brands. They've been buying up lesser known comic properties and they've made a deal to develop Narnia as a series and Cowboy Bebop and The Witcher, and so on, but they do need recognizable brands as well. Like, they could buy, let's say, Sony with their Spider-Man properties. But on the other hand I think Netflix's idea is to have everything for everyone, so there is just tons of original content of all kinds, while Disney's will be very Disney. We won't ever have a Disney+ version of Orange Is the New Black or something.

I actually don't think Netflix needs the recognizable brands for the reasons you say in the last sentence. On top of that Netflix is a recognizable brand in and of itself. It's pretty much a household name these days. Hulu and Prime Video didn't sink Netflix, I don't think Disney+ will either. That said I think Disney+ might sink Hulu though, just not in the way that we're talking about here. With Disney's purchase of Fox, Disney now owns something like 66% of Hulu. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for Hulu to eventually be fully owned by Disney and just dissolved / merged into Disney+.

Hunchback Jack
04-16-2019, 08:05 AM
I don't think Netflix will disappear. But will some people subscribe to Disney+ and cancel Netflix? Absolutely.

The recent trend has been for Netflix to shed even quite successful programs in order to promote the content it makes itself. And you can be sure that Disney won't be making any of its future IP available on Netflix. So Netflix's appeal, while still significant, is waning.

Disney, on the other hand, has scores of already recognizable properties, and is actively producing more - the biggest franchises out there. People will subscribe to Disney+ to get access to that content, potentially doing so in lieu of buying Disney properties on physical media.

Netflix isn't going anywhere. But will they lose subscribers to Disney? You bet.

DanHocker
04-16-2019, 08:27 AM
I don't think Netflix will disappear. But will some people subscribe to Disney+ and cancel Netflix? Absolutely.

The recent trend has been for Netflix to shed even quite successful programs in order to promote the content it makes itself. And you can be sure that Disney won't be making any of its future IP available on Netflix. So Netflix's appeal, while still significant, is waning.

Disney, on the other hand, has scores of already recognizable properties, and is actively producing more - the biggest franchises out there. People will subscribe to Disney+ to get access to that content, potentially doing so in lieu of buying Disney properties on physical media.

Netflix isn't going anywhere. But will they lose subscribers to Disney? You bet.

Maybe I just have a different perspective on this. I feel like most people subscribe to Netflix these days for Netflix's original programming, not the 3rd party stuff. That 3rd party stuff just happens to be a bonus. Pretty much the same reason why people subscribe to HBO. I guess what I'm getting at is that I feel like there's room for both, and more specifically I don't really think Disney+ will realistically hurt Netflix's bottom line.

webstar1000
04-16-2019, 11:37 AM

For the small price per month... I would be doing both. I wonder how many would actually leave Netflix over a few bucks? I doubt not many. More options for things to watch that way. Time wil tell though.

mae
07-22-2019, 12:52 PM
I guess this weekend's Marvel announcements make Disney+ a must-have. I knew I'd be getting it regardless but now I just can't wait.

Earl of Popkin
07-22-2019, 01:38 PM
I guess this weekend's Marvel announcements make Disney+ a must-have. I knew I'd be getting it regardless but now I just can't wait.

So spot on. I’m suffering from pretty severe superhero film fatigue, new Star Wars fatigue, and streamer fatigue. Really wanted to hate D+, but the Marvel shows look great and the Mandalorian has me amped. Without question a day one purchase, hopefully the annual $70 sticker wasn’t a rumor as I’ll be purchasing day one. Damn you Disney, here’s my credit card number though

Hunchback Jack
07-22-2019, 01:43 PM

Agreed. Disney could "rest on its laurels" and rely on just making its existing content available on launch, and still expect to have a huge subscription base. But with all the new content they are creating for their brands, that is exclusive to Disney+? It's a no-brainer.

webstar1000
07-22-2019, 03:57 PM
I’ll be signing up for the first year. Not even a question. These guys know what’s up.

mae
08-23-2019, 04:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7zW53OuvMg

mae
08-24-2019, 09:39 AM
Their website is up: https://preview.disneyplus.com/

Kongo
08-24-2019, 12:52 PM
Disney is out for blood! Disney+ went from meh, to I'll probably get it, to must have. Lots of exciting stuff coming out

mae
08-27-2019, 02:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCv5f6gTCpk

fernandito
08-28-2019, 08:26 AM
Nice, I like the interface. They should probably have the cleanest interface since everything is essentially going into 4 or 5 buckets - Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, NG, and Originals.

mae
08-29-2019, 11:20 AM
Wanna save 33% on Disney+?

https://d23.com/app/uploads/2019/08/Post-Expo_Offer-Page_Disney_web_v3_web.jpg

mae
08-29-2019, 01:41 PM
Anyone else subscribe already? All you need is a free D23.com membership. And 33% is a good deal. Only $140.97 for three years, that's just $46.99 a year, or only $3.92 a month. And it's locked in for the three years, and you know they might raise prices in that time. Couldn't pass it up! And now I cannot wait for 11/12!

webstar1000
08-29-2019, 03:31 PM
Anyone else subscribe already? All you need is a free D23.com membership. And 33% is a good deal. Only $140.97 for three years, that's just $46.99 a year, or only $3.92 a month. And it's locked in for the three years, and you know they might raise prices in that time. Couldn't pass it up! And now I cannot wait for 11/12!

I can’t seem to do it:( is it cause I’m in Canada?

mae
08-29-2019, 04:01 PM
Not sure since it's launching in Canada at the same time.

Oh I just checked the fine print and yes, sorry:

https://d23.com/disney-plus-exclusive-offer/

Valid for US residents with US payment method only.

Rjeso
08-29-2019, 10:18 PM
I wish I had the ability to pay up front because that is an excellent deal. Especially because I know for a fact that I am signing up -- I'd line up just for Falcon & the Winter Soldier and that Jeff Goldblum show.

mae
08-30-2019, 03:10 AM
I think it's an excellent deal, too, and I hope folks who are interested can take advantage of it before it expires on Labor Day. I got paid today (plus had some extra overtime this period) so I could afford to drop $140 on it and not have to worry or pay for this for the next three years, which gets me through all of Marvel's Phase 4 shows, and into Phase 5. I will definitely renew after that, but at just $3.92 a month I couldn't sign up fast enough. I'm such a nerd.

cit74
08-30-2019, 03:58 PM
I think it's an excellent deal, too, and I hope folks who are interested can take advantage of it before it expires on Labor Day. I got paid today (plus had some extra overtime this period) so I could afford to drop $140 on it and not have to worry or pay for this for the next three years, which gets me through all of Marvel's Phase 4 shows, and into Phase 5. I will definitely renew after that, but at just $3.92 a month I couldn't sign up fast enough. I'm such a nerd.

Thanks again for posting - a great deal and I was able to sign up for free and just got redeem email today

Hunchback Jack
08-30-2019, 07:52 PM
Thanks for posting! A great deal. I can’t imagine it’s not worth $4 a month.

(Signed up to D23; still waiting for the code to appear)

mae
08-31-2019, 08:08 AM
Absolutely, you're all very welcome. I hope anyone even remotely interested in Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, or Marvel gets to sign up for it. Remember, it's only until Labor Day! HBJ, I didn't really wait for an email like they said, just check your account (My Account > View Account) and there should be a banner there with the Redeem button, I had it show up a few hours after I signed up for D23.

fernandito
09-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Ngl, if (when) I get Disney+ I'm just going to spend that first weekend watching nothing but classic Disney. Sword in the Stone, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Peter Pan...

Just going to binge the hell out of my childhood years.

mae
10-14-2019, 06:29 PM
https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/10/disney-plus-tv-shows-movies/

On Monday, Disney unloaded a three-hour-long Twitter thread revealing every single movie and TV show that will be available on its Disney+ streaming platform at launch. They previously promised 400 films and upwards of 7,500 TV episodes, and it looks like they’ve delivered. Listed out in chronological order, the docket includes everything from new original series and films to National Geographic programs and properties picked up in the FOX acquisition.

There are animated Disney classics like Fantasia, Dumbo, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarves alongside live-action deep cuts like The Saggy D.A., Return to Witch Mountain, and… Fuzzbucket? Subscribers will also have access to both Sister Act films, Willow, and classic TGIF fare like Boy Meets World. Disney Channel original movies like the Halloweentown series will also be available as will classic cartoons like the original X-Men animated series and Gargoyles. Darkwing Duck, Big Hero 6, Evens Stevens, Phantom of the Megaplex, every Star Wars thing ever — it’s all here. Plus, all 31 seasons of The Simpsons. (Don’t worry, Song of the South is still banned.)

It’s frankly a lot — like, doing too much a lot — but we’ve braved it and listed out some of the highlights below. There’s also a three-hour-plus video featuring “basically everything coming to Disney+…” Unbelievably, the tweet-storm ended with the promise of more to come. That includes the future Marvel Cinematic Universe shows (Hawkeye, WandaVision, and Loki amongst them) , the Lizzie McGuire reboot, a Home Alone sequel, a sequel to Willow, the Sandlot series, the Monsters, Inc. series with stars John Goodman and Billy Crystal, a show centered on classic Disney villains, and Star Wars properties like Obi-Wan. That live-action/CGI Chip ‘N Dales: Rescue Rangers film The Lonely Island’s Akiva Schaffer is directing could end up on the streamer, as well.

Yeah, there’s a lot coming, but at least Disney is giving you time to consume it all. As previously reported, Disney+ plans to ignore the binge-watching trend by releasing episodes of its original programming weekly instead of all at once. With so much content coming out of the gate, that may actually be a good thing.

Disney+ officially launches on November 12th. It will be available as a standalone product for $6.99 and in a bundle with Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99. The bundle may be worth it, as Disney is keeping its proprietary streamer free of R-rated movies and more adult fare; that will mostly end up on Hulu, which the company now owns a controlling stake of thanks to the FOX deal. Hence Marvel shows like Ghost Rider and Helstrom going to the previously established service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0FRDaHnITI

mae
11-12-2019, 10:04 AM
So anyone start using their Disney+ yet? It launched this morning!

https://www.disneyplus.com/login

SystemCrashOverRide
11-12-2019, 11:04 AM
I signed up today and downloaded the Android App - but I've had a plethora of non-stop errors. I checked and Disney+ has tweeted about it, acknowledging the platform issues to due exceedingly high demand and users attempting to log in. I hope it gets sorted out shortly. But I wont realistically be able to view anything until I'm home from work anyways.

Joe315
11-12-2019, 12:01 PM
How are they not prepared for the bandwidth. Ridiculous.

Hunchback Jack
11-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Because providing a scalable video streaming service is much more difficult than most people think.

SystemCrashOverRide
11-12-2019, 01:17 PM
Quick update for anyone curious. Android App seems to be working for me now. I still haven't really watched anything, but it's no longer a wall of errors when navigating through the app like it was a few hours ago.

webstar1000
11-12-2019, 02:52 PM
MANDALORIAN!!! Wowowowowow!

cit74
11-13-2019, 07:19 AM
Only wish my DVD player (Sony) would have update w Disney plus app - now I might need to get a roku or Apple TV to attach to my tv - any thoughts there?

webstar1000
11-13-2019, 07:20 AM
NOT one of my devices will show the app. SO, I downloaded Mandaorian. I am going to buy a new Apple Tv today. I hope it works.

cit74
11-13-2019, 07:55 AM
NOT one of my devices will show the app. SO, I downloaded Mandaorian. I am going to buy a new Apple Tv today. I hope it works.

there was some info I found in a search that stated the app would be available upon release on certain platforms - there were not many listed though. Seemed like all apple products were listed, Roku as well:

Disney+ Streaming Service supported devices

Amazon Fire TV and Fire tablets
Roku boxes and sticks and TVs
Google Chromecast and Chromecast-enabled devices
iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
Android phones, Android TV
Apple TV (integrated with the TV app, available as in-app purchase)
Microsoft Xbox One
Sony PlayStation 4
Android-based Sony Smart TVs
Chromebooks will be supported
Samsung and LG devices

cit74
11-13-2019, 07:57 AM
Personally if Disney did it right...from the beginning - anyone who signed up in advance should have received an email which stated what devices would have Disney app from the start - so that we could have had them...I think this was a mis-step

SystemCrashOverRide
11-13-2019, 08:01 AM
I'm running it on my Roku which I've had for a few years, seems to work seamlessly so no complaints. I like my little Roku, it was cheap and works well for running Netflix and Youtube, Prime and now Disney+

I'm thinking I might upgrade to a 4K TV this year, and I might buy another (newer, 4K compatible) Roku - Or maybe I'll buy some sort of smart TV with all that shit built in, who knows.

Hunchback Jack
11-13-2019, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the list! I have a Chromecast Ultra, so I’m set. Best $50 I ever spent, that little dongle is.

mae
11-13-2019, 09:32 AM
You can also just use your web browser, too.

fernandito
11-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Damn, everyone in the office is talking about Disney+!

webstar1000
11-13-2019, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the list! I have a Chromecast Ultra, so I’m set. Best $50 I ever spent, that little dongle is.

does it have a remote?

Hunchback Jack
11-13-2019, 12:06 PM

does it have a remote?

No, it’s driven by mobile apps only.

It’s a bit of a different model from a smart tv or kindle fire. There is no on-TV navigation of apps that you scroll through. You fire up the relevant app on your phone, cast to the TV (using an icon in the app), and then select the media to play on the phone. You continue to use the phone app to control media playback.

When casting from a browser window where the CC has no support for the service, you’re streaming across your network twice - once to the browser and back to the CC. But if the service has CC support, the CC will stream video from it directly; you’re just using your mobile device for control.

So it’s just a matter of preference. Personally, I despise having to navigate through a menu on a TV, or to speak - or worse, select on screen keys - to search for stuff. With a CC you do all of that on your phone and then cast the media to the TV just to play it.

I’d check what services it supports before taking the plunge though. They only recently added Prime support (because Amazon and Google has a feud).

Hunchback Jack
11-13-2019, 12:12 PM
A bit of googling came up with this, though:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chromeunboxed.com/want-a-chromecast-remote-how-to/%3famp

sharki69
11-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Verizon customers with unlimited data plan get 1 year free of Disney +

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/disneyplus/

mae
11-13-2019, 07:57 PM
I've been sampling different old favorites (and The Mandalorian of course), but I'm most pleased with Mickey Mouse, the recent TV show. The animation is beautiful and it's silly and fun. It's got close to 100 episodes since 2013.

Shannon
11-13-2019, 08:56 PM
I'm running it on my Roku which I've had for a few years, seems to work seamlessly so no complaints. I like my little Roku, it was cheap and works well for running Netflix and Youtube, Prime and now Disney+

I'm thinking I might upgrade to a 4K TV this year, and I might buy another (newer, 4K compatible) Roku - Or maybe I'll buy some sort of smart TV with all that shit built in, who knows.

RCA 50" 4k Smart TV with Roku, $260ish delivered from Amazon. Not the best best best TV I've ever seen, but its pretty damn good. I now own three of them.

Garrell
11-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Got a new Ipad Pro this week so I get Disney+ and Apple TV+ free for a year :)

fernandito
11-14-2019, 09:04 AM
I caved in and d/l yesterday on my PlayStation. Was watching X-Men cartoons and Toy Story :)

Merlin1958
11-14-2019, 09:51 AM
So anyone start using their Disney+ yet? It launched this morning!

https://www.disneyplus.com/login

LOL I just posted alot in the SW thread on this!!! Doh, should have known there was a seperate thread!!! loll

EDIT: I expected more new episodic content like "The Mandalorian". I also expected a full season of that show to go online on the 12th instead of whatever schedule they have (I assume weekly) they have in mind.

However, I bought it mainly for the grandkids and they (and I) couldn't be more excited and satisfied with what is available to them now. I assume they intend to deliver quite a bit more content as we go from here. All those classic films and shows in one place!!! Whoo Hoo!!! I'm a big hit with the grand children!!!! LOL LOL

So, so far so good. I expect BIG things from this service in the future!!!!

Hunchback Jack
11-14-2019, 05:36 PM
Thanks to my D23 subscription, I now know that Disney makes beauty products.

https://d23.com/app/uploads/2019/11/h20-products-expo-1180x600hIris-780x440.jpg

It won't be long now before Disney rules every aspect of our lives.

HBJ

Merlin1958
11-14-2019, 07:19 PM
Thanks to my D23 subscription, I now know that Disney makes beauty products.

https://d23.com/app/uploads/2019/11/h20-products-expo-1180x600hIris-780x440.jpg

It won't be long now before Disney rules every aspect of our lives.

HBJ

I'd laugh at this if it weren't so sadly true!!!!!

cit74
11-14-2019, 10:32 PM
as soon as I see d23 in my inbox I just have to quickly delete that crap...although I did break down and get my Apple TV from Costco today - easy to set up - especially if an apple user - then setup dinner plus - watched gordon Ramsey eat bugs and then watched the Mandalorian - my son and I loved it

mae
11-16-2019, 08:09 PM
Another good show I just discovered is The Legend of the Three Caballeros, done in the style of classic Donald Duck cartoons! I love these modern interpretations of classic series, like the new Mickey Mouse series, too.

Merlin1958
11-16-2019, 08:25 PM
Is anyone out there having to deal with this "authorization code" business? Every time I log on (despite having set-up a password for acct.) I have to get a code from my email. Happens when I use different devices as well. Tried contacting Disney by phone & chat but there was 30-90 min wait times!!!!! I thought I did everything I was supposed to do to set up acct, but it makes me re-authorize through email every time I log in!!!! Very frustrating!!!!

Still Servant
11-17-2019, 08:12 AM
Does anyone have the Disney+/Hulu bundle? That seems like the most likely option for myself because I already have the Hulu subscription.

DanHocker
11-22-2019, 08:14 AM
Is anyone out there having to deal with this "authorization code" business? Every time I log on (despite having set-up a password for acct.) I have to get a code from my email. Happens when I use different devices as well. Tried contacting Disney by phone & chat but there was 30-90 min wait times!!!!! I thought I did everything I was supposed to do to set up acct, but it makes me re-authorize through email every time I log in!!!! Very frustrating!!!!

Sounds like somehow when you set up your account you enabled 2-Factor authentication. It's a security measure that in probably 10 years time everything online will have. It's to prevent people from stealing your account, because it means they have to steal both the account you are logging into and your email account to gain access. My guess is there's a way to disable 2 factor authentication in your account settings somewhere. Probably under security options or something like that.

Merlin1958
11-30-2019, 03:25 PM

Sounds like somehow when you set up your account you enabled 2-Factor authentication. It's a security measure that in probably 10 years time everything online will have. It's to prevent people from stealing your account, because it means they have to steal both the account you are logging into and your email account to gain access. My guess is there's a way to disable 2 factor authentication in your account settings somewhere. Probably under security options or something like that.

Thanks for the reply. It went away on its own, which brings me to a bit of a beef I have with this whole thing offered by, Disney. First off, if you ask me they rushed this to market and didn't have their shit wired for release. I say this for several reasons you guys may feel are petty, but to me, Disney has always been a beacon for professionalism, attention to detail and extremely dependable. Disney + does not feel this way to me. First, there was the issues I described here with the login process. Maybe you may say that was on me, but what was even more distressing was the lack of any real customer service to try to identify and resolve the issue. I could not reach customer service by live chat, telephone or receive a response to my email. Both of the first two options left me on hold or experiencing the proverbial "moving circle" for eternity. There was also the lack of information or disclosure with regard to the content that would be available. The Marvel movie list is one example. I understand the reasons why all 22 films are not immediately available from the streaming service, but they should have properly disclosed that fact. Instead, the marketing lead one to believe you would immediately have access to virtually ALL the Disney content. Also, on "Black Friday" when they released chapter 4 of "The Mandalorian" their streaming site was not set up to handle the what should have been expected heavier than usual traffic. It took me a full hour (at least 25 tries) to hit "Play" and begin to watch the episode!!! I even figured what was happening and thought I'd watch the first 3 while waiting for the site to catch up, but could not gain access to any of these as well. Another thing was that it took four days before the "wish list" function actually worked!!! I'd click to add to wish list, it would respond in the affirmatively yet nothing would in fact appear or actually be added to my wish list.

There were several other issues like those explained above. Now some may say that I am nit picking, but I have come to expect much more from, Disney than other companies. Whether it be their stores, their films, restaurants, features or their parks, Disney always aspired to excellence and generally achieved it. IMHO they failed to achieve that goal with the Disney+ service and initially have grossly disappointed this long time loyal fan/customer.

mae
12-02-2019, 05:31 PM
Okay I know this isn't going to appeal to anyone who isn't a kid or a kid at heart (like moi), but I am utterly loving Star vs. the Forces of Evil on Disney+. It's zany and funny and colorful and in my mind I want to be Star Butterfly, but then I remember I'm an adult and I get sad.

Merlin1958
12-12-2019, 10:58 PM
Continuing in my observation of the shoddy way, Disney rolled out this entire enterprise, while doing a little online Xmas shopping with, Amazon I finally found some "Mandalorian" merchandise. I was amazed to find that "Baby Yoda" and the Nick Nolte character dolls were only available for pre-order. Furthermore, apparently if you order these things they will not be available for delivery until, May 2020!!! I could only find 1 LEGO Mandalorian set that was also a pre-order and BTW (not sure if I mentioned this before) be on alert for Amazon Lego set descriptions modified to read as "Mandalorian" characters/scenarios that are in fact just older Ep. 1-3 toys or "Bobba Fett" toys. I was kinda surprised that Amazon was not or, is falling down on policing these type of listings.

Say what you will about, George Lucas but the man knew how to capitalize on his film's merchandizing!! lol I would have thought that Disney would have had warehouses full of Mandalorian crap well in advance of the just before Christmas release date!!! Come to think of it, I should probably go see what they have for "The Rise of Skywalker" though I did spot a few things while searching for Mandalorian stuff. lol

Merlin1958
12-14-2019, 11:46 PM
Anyone catch, Baby Yoda on SNL? He had a bitch slap for Baby Groot among other things. It was kinda funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW5XJ7LHaWY

Side Note to staff: Okay, what am I doing wrong? I did it the same way I always did, but no embedded video?

Kongo
12-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Continuing in my observation of the shoddy way, Disney rolled out this entire enterprise, while doing a little online Xmas shopping with, Amazon I finally found some "Mandalorian" merchandise. I was amazed to find that "Baby Yoda" and the Nick Nolte character dolls were only available for pre-order. Furthermore, apparently if you order these things they will not be available for delivery until, May 2020!!! I could only find 1 LEGO Mandalorian set that was also a pre-order and BTW (not sure if I mentioned this before) be on alert for Amazon Lego set descriptions modified to read as "Mandalorian" characters/scenarios that are in fact just older Ep. 1-3 toys or "Bobba Fett" toys. I was kinda surprised that Amazon was not or, is falling down on policing these type of listings.

Say what you will about, George Lucas but the man knew how to capitalize on his film's merchandizing!! lol I would have thought that Disney would have had warehouses full of Mandalorian crap well in advance of the just before Christmas release date!!! Come to think of it, I should probably go see what they have for "The Rise of Skywalker" though I did spot a few things while searching for Mandalorian stuff. lol

Supposedly this was a deliberate decision on their part to avoid spoilers leaking. Not sure why they didn't have the non spoilery stuff ready to go, but rest assured it's gonna flood the market soon

Merlin1958
12-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Supposedly this was a deliberate decision on their part to avoid spoilers leaking. Not sure why they didn't have the non spoilery stuff ready to go, but rest assured it's gonna flood the market soon

Doesn't make a whole lotta sense in that there has been ample time to avoid spoilers and still have stuff out on the market. We'll see I guess, but its the 15th of the month already.

Merlin1958
12-15-2019, 02:02 PM
I'm also a little surprised that there hasn't been much discussion regarding "Baby Yoda". I'd like to see the series return to the BY story. What's his deal? Who's the parents? Are his species born with the force? What does this mean in the canon of the films? etc. etc.

Wikipedia says this about him:

[Jedi Master Yoda is amongst the oldest, most stoic and most powerful known Jedi Masters in the Star Wars universe. Series creator George Lucas opted to have many details of the character's life history remain unknown. Yoda's race and home world have not been named in any official media, canonical or otherwise, and he is merely said to be of a "species unknown" by the Star Wars Databank. Yoda's characteristic speech patterns have been analyzed and discussed by academic syntacticians, who found it somewhat inconsistent, but could extrapolate that it has object–subject–verb word order[16] making it anastrophe.

The films and Expanded Universe reveal that he had a hand in training almost every Jedi Master in the galaxy. In the Star Wars prequel films, he instructs several younglings in the Jedi Temple before they are assigned to a master. In The Empire Strikes Back he mentions that he had been training Jedi "for 800 years", which means he must have been a Master Jedi for quite some time before that.]

Given BY's projected life span, he sure looks like the last Jedi to me since he will surpass the Skywalker's in the universe. One would assume he could restart the order on his own if he desired and speaking of which why wasn't he involved when, Luke tried to revive the order with, Kylo? Who or what want him dead in the Mandalorian story? Lot's of questions , little answers so far. no? Surely you folks have theories/thoughts on Baby Yoda and the questions that go with him, no?

mae
12-15-2019, 02:13 PM
This would probably be more for the Star Wars thread, though.

mae
12-15-2019, 02:14 PM
Side Note to staff: Okay, what am I doing wrong? I did it the same way I always did, but no embedded video?

Just need to make sure you delete the s in https.

Merlin1958
12-15-2019, 04:27 PM
This would probably be more for the Star Wars thread, though.

Feel free to move it, Mae. BTW thx for the tip!!!

mae
01-01-2020, 02:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQP4bk1uGXM

Merlin1958
01-02-2020, 07:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQP4bk1uGXM

Oh yeah!!!! Mae, tell us more. What was that snippet about the Falcon and the Winter Soldier? Did I get that right? What's the scoop?

mae
01-02-2020, 07:23 AM
Just that it's coming this year, as well as WandaVision.

Merlin1958
01-02-2020, 12:25 PM

Oh, man I'm so disappointed in you. You're usually so well informed!!! What's next? Cats sleeping with dogs? Bears shitting anywhere BUT the woods? A Jewish Pope? :wtf:

fernandito
01-02-2020, 01:39 PM
I wonder how and where they're going to reintroduce Vision into the MCU timeline? :orely:

mae
01-02-2020, 02:04 PM

Oh, man I'm so disappointed in you. You're usually so well informed!!! What's next? Cats sleeping with dogs? Bears shitting anywhere BUT the woods? A Jewish Pope? :wtf:

I'm sorry! :cry:

As soon as know more I will send out an alert here.

Merlin1958
03-28-2020, 07:01 PM
You know I have to say that I continue to be surprised and a bit disappointed at the Disney+ channel. I mean don't get me wrong it's very cool to have all that movie content in one place, but I would have thought that they would have more new content like "The Mandalorian all set to be streaming by now or even the initial "Go Live" date. I mean look how HBO/showtime/starz rolls out 10-12 or so new shows/seasons regularly. Doesn't seem to be much excuse either as they have their own Movie Studio and what not. They should have been much more ready with content to go live with IMHO. Don't you guys agree?

Garrell
03-28-2020, 07:05 PM
Agree. Haven’t been on it in awhile as a result

webstar1000
03-29-2020, 08:49 AM
Disney plus is total crap. Sorry.... I won’t renew this again. They need to get this going.... one watchable show produced so far since inception.

Brian861
03-29-2020, 09:04 AM
Disney plus is total crap. Sorry.... I won’t renew this again. They need to get this going.... one watchable show produced so far since inception.

Yea. Just sign up again when The Mandalorian returns and dump it after.

mae
03-29-2020, 09:43 AM
There's plenty of other content, too, it's not just one show.

webstar1000
03-29-2020, 10:08 AM

However... you missed the keyword needed: good. There is only one good show so far and that’s MANDALORIAN

Merlin1958
03-29-2020, 10:51 AM

However... you missed the keyword needed: good. There is only one good show so far and that’s MANDALORIAN

Nah man that I am afraid, Kris/Brian is a very minority attitude. Mae, is correct if you have children or grandchildren especially, there is shitloads of content. Fact is they have rolled out new content, but it's mainly targeted towards children (mostly animated) from what I have seen. In addition there is almost the entire Star Wars catalogue, the same for Marvel (and will have the entire collection soon) and Pixar AND the virtually entire "Disney" catalogue of animated and live action films. There is a LOT of content there and as I said especially if you have children or grandchildren. Mine LOVE it to death!!!

So, I don't think you're going to find much support for your opinion, IMHO that is!! LOL LOL

Plus, there's gotta still be a little of your inner child left. Surely you two have a secret favorite Disney film or three!!! LOL

However, I still stand by my opinion that they could have rolled all of that content PLUS the new stuff along the lines of the Mandalorian at the go "live" date. I mean look how much content Amazon has released in their short time. It's impressive, again IMHO, and they did not have the experience or license to IP Disney already has at their disposal. In that respect I totally agree with you guys. It's still worth the $15 bucks a month though.

Hunchback Jack
03-29-2020, 11:08 AM
I agree that Disney+ is largely aimed at kids – and I’m sure it’s a godsend for parents who have kids at home from school, self isolating. Revisiting their back catalog yields a wealth of discovery for kids of all ages.

I do wish they had more new content, though.

Merlin1958
03-29-2020, 11:58 AM

I agree that Disney+ is largely aimed at kids – and I’m sure it’s a godsend for parents who have kids at home from school, self isolating. Revisiting their back catalog yields a wealth of discovery for kids of all ages.

I do wish they had more new content, though.

I agree with you totally!!!

It's a HUGE fucking mistake that they blew this roll out as they have, despite the success of "The Mandalorian". They are a major film studio and should have been much better than Netflix or Amazon when they went live. This horse shit for new shows "Coming in 2020" should have resulted in a few heads rolling at, Disney.

Kingfan24
03-29-2020, 01:26 PM

Yeah buy Disney Plus wasn't really billed as a new content platform, and was largely billed as a way to watch classic and new movies once released.

cit74
03-29-2020, 03:42 PM
I signed up for the 3 year plan - they got 3 years to impress me - I love most of the movies they have streaming - hence I own them on blu ray - and get the Digital codes - to stream from where ever. I will give them the 3 years - but I will have. tough time renewing if there is really nothing new to keep me going back - like Netflix or amazon prime...time will tell

Brian861
03-29-2020, 09:46 PM
I'm not attempting to rally any support for my opinion. I don't have small children around but I did enjoy what I saw of the Clone Wars. I just wasn't making the time to watch it. I still have Mae's playlist that I might revisit at some point. I guess I've out grown the films and I'm not really a superhero guy.

mae
04-09-2020, 07:47 AM
https://cdn3-www.comingsoon.net/assets/uploads/gallery/maggie-simpson-in-playdate-with-destiny/maggie-simpson.jpg

fernandito
04-09-2020, 08:12 AM

Yeah buy Disney Plus wasn't really billed as a new content platform, and was largely billed as a way to watch classic and new movies once released.

True. Once I watched through all the classics I was nostalgic for, and after I finished Mandalorian, I was left with an empty feeling of uhhh, okay now what?. Cancelled my subscription right after.

Disney+ banked hard on the nostalgia factor/holiday season to carry them through the first months of launch, but they're going to have to work hard at producing top tier exclusives if they want to entice customers like me to come back and stay for good.

webstar1000
04-09-2020, 08:13 AM

True. Once I watched through all the classics I was nostalgic for, and after I finished Mandalorian, I was left with an empty feeling of uhhh, okay now what?. Cancelled my subscription right after.

Disney+ banked hard on the nostalgia factor/holiday season to carry them through the first months of launch, but they're going to have to work hard at producing top tier exclusives if they want to entice customers like me to come back and stay for good.

100%

WeDealInLead
04-09-2020, 08:46 AM
My coworker hooked us up with Disney+ at work (group home). I binged Mandalorian during a single quiet shift, browsed a bit and logged off. Probably won't log on again and now that I know what's available, I don't need to subscribe. I can get everything they have from the library. Not "hating", I'm just not the target audience.

mae
04-10-2020, 06:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QES8c-d6rI

Merlin1958
04-10-2020, 12:40 PM

100%

My coworker hooked us up with Disney+ at work (group home). I binged Mandalorian during a single quiet shift, browsed a bit and logged off. Probably won't log on again and now that I know what's available, I don't need to subscribe. I can get everything they have from the library. Not "hating", I'm just not the target audience.

Man, all of you cancellation guys need to do at least ONE of the following: 1: Get back in touch with your inner child, 2: Have Children OR 3: get your children to have grandchildren so you will DEFINITELY DO suggestion No. 1

And all of the above does not even necessarily include the Marvel & Star Wars content!!!! Geez!!!! lol

Merlin1958
04-10-2020, 04:45 PM

100%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QES8c-d6rI

OLIVER & CO.!!!! I had forgotten all about this gem for kids and adults alike!!!

DoctorZaius
04-12-2020, 09:36 AM
Just got this for the family for Easter. Loving it so far. We just watched a bunch of the Forky shorts - great stuff!

mae
05-13-2020, 08:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMzh0gPyD-E

Merlin1958
05-14-2020, 10:27 AM
Nice!!!

mae
06-22-2020, 09:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSCKfXpAGHc

mae
06-24-2020, 08:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6647smCPHQ

webstar1000
06-24-2020, 09:03 AM
There is NO way I will be paying for this service again. ONE show I watched. $90CAD for the deal and sorry not worth it. I have not even turned it on since Mandalorian ended:(

Hunchback Jack
06-24-2020, 04:58 PM
How long have Disney owned rights to The Muppets?

Joe315
06-24-2020, 09:17 PM
How long have Disney owned rights to The Muppets?

mae
07-08-2020, 08:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-uIQDRS4a8

mae
07-27-2020, 07:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avtx40X5GTc

fernandito
08-05-2020, 07:45 AM
Disney has decided to release Mulan on D+, but get this - they are charging $30 for it! Ohhhhh booooyyyyy

Disney to release Mulan online Sept. 4 on Disney Plus, for $30 in US (https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-mulan-release-date-online-disney-plus-sept-4-30-dollars-us/)

DoctorZaius
08-05-2020, 07:53 AM
Disney has decided to release Mulan on D+, but get this - they are charging $30 for it! Ohhhhh booooyyyyy

Disney to release Mulan online Sept. 4 on Disney Plus, for $30 in US (https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-mulan-release-date-online-disney-plus-sept-4-30-dollars-us/)

It would cost me more than that if I took the whole family to see it in the theater, not including the concessions.

webstar1000
08-05-2020, 08:25 AM

It would cost me more than that if I took the whole family to see it in the theater, not including the concessions.

We are both theatre people... you do have to admit this would show FAR better in that setting. Sad that Disney is doing this BUT after thier last quarter? I get it.

DoctorZaius
08-05-2020, 11:15 AM

We are both theatre people... you do have to admit this would show FAR better in that setting. Sad that Disney is doing this BUT after thier last quarter? I get it.

Totally agree. I get the sense the Hollywood is taking this opportunity to explore new revenue streams.

Still Servant
08-05-2020, 05:15 PM
This could be the interesting experiment that we have discussed in other threads. If Mulan does really well for Disney+, we may see them do it with other films. Other studios could follow.

That being said, 30 bucks might be pretty steep for a lot of people.

Hunchback Jack
08-05-2020, 08:18 PM
Would it be a one-time purchase or per viewing? I would think it would have to be the former, in which case it would pay off if your kids love it.

fernandito
08-06-2020, 08:36 AM
It's actually pretty brilliant on Disney's part if you think about it. $30 to rent it, you'll probably go halfers with your significant other or siblings or parents or w/e. Then, Disney gets to keep all of the profits since they don't have to kick any money to distributors or theater chains. If Mulan is a success I can see them trying this approach more and more.

webstar1000
08-06-2020, 09:29 AM
It's actually pretty brilliant on Disney's part if you think about it. $30 to rent it, you'll probably go halfers with your significant other or siblings or parents or w/e. Then, Disney gets to keep all of the profits since they don't have to kick any money to distributors or theater chains. If Mulan is a success I can see them trying this approach more and more.

The amount kicked to the distributed is VERY SMALL. Their money comes from concessions, upgraded seats, Imax, etc. You go to a theatre you would spend more than $30 for the average family... Not really sure this would impact it much. With pirate's stealing digital copy I believe this will be a detriment.

fernandito
08-06-2020, 10:22 AM

The amount kicked to the distributed is VERY SMALL. Their money comes from concessions, upgraded seats, Imax, etc. You go to a theatre you would spend more than $30 for the average family... Not really sure this would impact it much. With pirate's stealing digital copy I believe this will be a detriment.

Noooo, where did you hear that? Domestic movie theaters in 2019 made %40 of each ticket sales, overseas theaters can make up to 60%(!) of each ticket sale. That's not chump change.

Average ticket prices in 2019 was $9.16. So if a family of 4 in the USA went to catch Mulan in theaters, Disney would have received $21.95 after the theater takes their cut.

And of course, this only gives Disney the ability to further leverage the power of their streaming service.

If this works out like they're gambling on, it'll be a win-win for them and could have some serious ripple affects on the way they approach their business model in a post Covid world.

webstar1000
08-06-2020, 10:23 AM

Noooo, where did you hear that? Domestic movie theaters in 2019 made %40 of each ticket sales, overseas theaters can make up to 60%(!) of each ticket sale.

Average ticket prices in 2019 was $9.16. So if a family of 4 in the USA went to catch Mulan in theaters, Disney would have received $21.95 after the theater takes their cut.

And of course, this only gives Disney the ability to further leverage the power of their streaming service.

If this works out like they're gambling on, it'll be a win-win for them and could have some serious ripple affects on the way they approach their business model in a post Covid world.

Where did you see those #'s? That is NOT the case here.....

fernandito
08-06-2020, 10:30 AM
https://www.doughroller.net/personal-finance/movie-ticket-prices/

...The general breakdown for a Hollywood movie gives the movie theater 45% of every ticket sold and the studio that created the movie 55%. This means if a movie ticket is $10, the theater that shows the movie receives $4.50 and the studio, lets say Paramount, receives $5.50. For the theater, the $4.50 pays for employees, maintenance, food and drink and other various costs while for the studio, the $5.50 can be further divided into the sub-categories below.

webstar1000
08-06-2020, 10:45 AM

...The general breakdown for a Hollywood movie gives the movie theater 45% of every ticket sold and the studio that created the movie 55%. This means if a movie ticket is $10, the theater that shows the movie receives $4.50 and the studio, lets say Paramount, receives $5.50. For the theater, the $4.50 pays for employees, maintenance, food and drink and other various costs while for the studio, the $5.50 can be further divided into the sub-categories below.

Thank you. I am blown away... here my theatre told us that they get $1.50 per ticket sold. ANd they are $12.99 for a regular movie, $22.99 for IMAX and $24.99 for DBOX. These are in CAD.

Hunchback Jack
08-06-2020, 02:05 PM

Thank you. I am blown away... here my theatre told us that they get $1.50 per ticket sold. ANd they are $12.99 for a regular movie, $22.99 for IMAX and $24.99 for DBOX. These are in CAD.

Profit vs gross, maybe?

webstar1000
08-06-2020, 02:17 PM

Profit vs gross, maybe?

Yeah maybe. Man this stuff worries me... theatres could end up just obsolete:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin1958
08-06-2020, 10:58 PM

Profit vs gross, maybe?

The longer the pandemic goes the less their chances. They are currently teetering anyway.

webstar1000
08-07-2020, 04:05 AM

Profit vs gross, maybe?

The longer the pandemic goes the less their chances. They are currently teetering anyway.

They sure are:( Breaks my heart... Ive gone to them since I was 5 years old and go at least a couple times a month.

Merlin1958
08-07-2020, 07:46 AM
Latest sign of the Coming Apocalypse!!!!

http://deadline.com/2020/08/kindergarten-cop-portland-oregon-film-festival-drive-in-overpolicing-complaint-1203004720/

Some folks in Oregon have WAAAAAAYYYYYY too much time on their hands!!!! LOL This is the template for the new world order for sure!!! Very sad!!!

Brian861
08-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Profit vs gross, maybe?

Set to open up there again on the 21st. Assuming the world doesn't end before then, again.......

mae
09-03-2020, 07:25 AM
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1147517-mulan-will-be-free-to-all-disney-subscribers-in-december/

Ahead of its PVOD release tomorrow, it has been revealed through Disney+’s official website that Niki Caro’s live-action Mulan will be available to all the streamer’s subscribers on Friday, December 4 for no additional cost. This revelation is good news to fans who were initially not on board with the film’s premiere access fee of $30. However, it remains unknown if this would affect the film’s performance tomorrow or not, especially if most subscribers might just opt to patiently wait for three months to see the film.

I can certainly wait three months.

webstar1000
09-03-2020, 07:41 AM
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1147517-mulan-will-be-free-to-all-disney-subscribers-in-december/

Ahead of its PVOD release tomorrow, it has been revealed through Disney+’s official website that Niki Caro’s live-action Mulan will be available to all the streamer’s subscribers on Friday, December 4 for no additional cost. This revelation is good news to fans who were initially not on board with the film’s premiere access fee of $30. However, it remains unknown if this would affect the film’s performance tomorrow or not, especially if most subscribers might just opt to patiently wait for three months to see the film.

I really wanted to see this is the theater... what a shame:( I just do not think it will be the same at home. You Mae?

mae
09-03-2020, 08:07 AM

I really wanted to see this is the theater... what a shame:( I just do not think it will be the same at home. You Mae?

Same here. Before the shutdown my friend and I had plans to see it in IMAX when it opened. She's also Chinese and was super excited about everything. It definitely won't be the same. I wish they had waited. We'll still hopefully see Wonder Woman 1984 in October and then Black Widow in November, but we were also really looking forward to Mulan.

webstar1000
09-03-2020, 08:18 AM

Same here. Before the shutdown my friend and I had plans to see it in IMAX when it opened. She's also Chinese and was super excited about everything. It definitely won't be the same. I wish they had waited. We'll still hopefully see Wonder Woman 1984 in October and then Black Widow in November, but we were also really looking forward to Mulan.

This doesn't help eh?

https://collider.com/mulan-disney-plus-review/

LOOKS amazing by the reviews:)

fernandito
09-03-2020, 01:40 PM
Sooooooooo who's streaming Mulan this weekend?

Brian861
09-04-2020, 11:14 AM
I'm waiting the 3 months with Mae :)

I see you're red now, Mae. Another promotion?

mae
09-04-2020, 12:11 PM

It's actually crimson! :redface1:

But yes, very honored: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?22948-mae-promoted-to-Special-Projects-Manager

Hunchback Jack
09-04-2020, 08:58 PM
I have to say, I was skeptical about the live action Mulan, but after seeing the trailer, I’m sold. I’ll probably wait three months, but with a high amount of anticipation.

Brian861
09-04-2020, 11:37 PM

It's actually crimson! :redface1:

But yes, very honored: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?22948-mae-promoted-to-Special-Projects-Manager

sweet!

mae
10-05-2020, 03:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ODhWjCxydU

mae
10-09-2020, 06:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnLqMsYS6Uc

mae
11-11-2020, 08:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lnw6DFZTYo

Iwritecode
11-11-2020, 08:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lnw6DFZTYo

Interesting that they decided to go with their "old school" outfits where Mickey and Minnie both wear pants and no shirt and Donald wears a shirt but no pants.

mae
11-11-2020, 09:34 AM
This is the same design, I think, they've been using for a few years now with the new Mickey Mouse TV series. It's also on Disney+ and it's very good. Highly recommended!

mae
12-10-2020, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0xnI1sBp_g

fernandito
12-11-2020, 09:56 AM
There were way way way too many announcements yesterday for me to address individually. Suffice to say that I'm looking forward to all the new Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar that Disney is putting out over the next few years. I hope they maintain their excellent quality threshold.

webstar1000
12-11-2020, 11:48 AM
There were way way way too many announcements yesterday for me to address individually. Suffice to say that I'm looking forward to all the new Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar that Disney is putting out over the next few years. I hope they maintain their excellent quality threshold.

AGREED. After the feedback they MUST see from Mando? They know the path the fans want taken and I can see that path stylized to its fullest.

mae
01-28-2021, 10:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLoSmXtkXl0

mae
04-14-2021, 02:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYEowXzs7xw

mae
04-28-2021, 06:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYfJxlgR2jw

Iwritecode
04-28-2021, 06:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYfJxlgR2jw

I swear you must get notifications the second any new movie trailer hits the interwebs. I just saw this on Yahoo, come here and it's already posted. :emot-roflolmao:

webstar1000
04-28-2021, 06:53 AM
Can anyone explain how the end of Falcon COULD BE SO BAD? WTF

mae
05-20-2021, 08:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUpFzScK7P8

fernandito
05-20-2021, 10:53 AM
Can anyone explain how the end of Falcon COULD BE SO BAD? WTF

Everything about that finale felt rushed tbh.

mae
06-11-2021, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijsh5RVYnoY

mae
07-20-2021, 12:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLdY__1EKic

mae
08-27-2021, 12:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYxLChVy_0

mae
11-12-2021, 07:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcYPrMk12zw

mae
11-12-2021, 07:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US0ZiWJ3y5A

mae
11-12-2021, 07:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vPHYRJtLYE

Iwritecode
02-04-2022, 07:44 AM
My daughter has watched this movie at least 3 times now and I've gotten this song stuck in my head. This was a cool little explanation of it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O28uSZxyEw

Merlin1958
02-14-2022, 03:51 AM
All this content is great but, if you are a sports fan (and I know there is at least a dozen or so fans on here) they have dropped a few ESPN video's that are really worth a look. There is "The Book of Manning", a video about the 0 for four, Bills and a few others that were really good and looked at the subjects in a different angle.

One that was especially good and informative is a video about the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" that focuses on the game from the Russian side of it that was like, Wow!!! i think it's worth checking out even if you're not a sports fan for the way it explores the politics in play at the time and the plight of some of the Russian players. Give it a try and it will hook you. I can almost guaranty you'll enjoy it and learn a few things as well.

I couldn't locate a trailer for it, but its very hood, trust me. There is also several video's that deal with the miracle from our perspective that breaks down this momentous victory in history.

cit74
03-24-2022, 08:54 PM
Ok I learned something new and possibly hidden on Disney +...

I knew that Daredevil was leaving Netflix and going to Disney plus (like last week) - I never knew about it or saw it on Netflix - but wanted to start watching it. So I tried to search on Disney and it said it was not available - and issue with my profile. Go ahead and try to search for it or Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Punisher, etc - if they do not come up - they are hidden but we can "unlock" this content. Apparently when I signed up the parental controls were set at Y-14 (I had no idea that was how it was set) - but you can go into your profile (either on the app or website - NOT on the TV though) and I changed the settings on my profile to MA - which includes all content, even R ratings. Loa and behold - after that I pulled up the Marvels content on Disney and Daredevil and all of those shows were now available. So I am assuming there might be more of this content that is now available on Disney that was "hidden" from view.

Now if you already knew this - well you are much wiser than me...if not - enjoy :)

cit74
03-24-2022, 08:57 PM
After you update - you will get this fun email:

THE CONTENT RATING FOR PROFILE HAS BEEN UPDATED
The Content Rating for Profile has been updated to TV-MA.

Titles rated TV-MA and below are now available to watch on this profile.

Manage Parental Control settings anytime by heading to Edit Profiles from your mobile app or web browser.

For more information, visit our Help Center.

Brian861
03-26-2022, 08:25 AM
Recently discovered this myself.

Merlin1958
03-26-2022, 10:03 AM
Hey, thank you!! Great tip!!

mae
05-26-2022, 11:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbveDpUZv4

Iwritecode
05-26-2022, 12:38 PM

I watched the original when I was a kid at least once or twice and remember almost nothing about it.

Merlin1958
05-26-2022, 01:19 PM

I watched the original when I was a kid at least once or twice and remember almost nothing about it.

Trailer looks better than what we got in the original film although, it did have a few good moments.

OBI-WAN, begins tomorrow!!! :excited::excited::excited:

Merlin1958
06-18-2022, 04:05 PM
I'm sure the minority LGBTQ community will jump all over me for this but, I understand the new "Buzz Lightyear" film has lesbian kissing and marriage. Couple that with the recent, "RED" film and there goes the Holy "G" rating status for most folks. I understand diverse representation for older audiences but, when did, Disney take on the parenting role for everyone? Stick to vanilla, white bread (no race connotation) middle of the road children's entertainment guys. You're a huge corporation and not the conscience of the population. I know, very old fashioned thinking with no place in this society, right?

All I know is my grandkids are taking a pass at the new film and in the future I'll have to view the films before I can take the kids!! You are blowing it, Disney!!!!

mae
06-18-2022, 05:05 PM
Why is it okay to depict straight relationships in children’s media but not gay relationships?

DoctorZaius
06-18-2022, 07:31 PM
"Old fashioned thinking" - yes, in my mind. "No place in this society" - no, you have a right to express your opinion.

I'm with Mae on this one. My wife teaches kindergarten and how families are presented in the books she reads in class it's important to present diversity. Admittedly, she teaches in a very progressive district. She has two lesbian couples in the class, one family with a parent who is transitioning, and she has a family that has similar concerns to your views, which they have expressed all year, so much so that they pull their child from class sometimes. As for the rest, I'm not sure.

Are your grandkids taking the pass, or are you taking the pass for them? Just wondering, and I am no way trying to antagonize.

Lurker
06-18-2022, 11:35 PM
Maybe the grandkids will grow up to be gay liberal Democrats who root for the Red Sox! LMAO

ICry4Oy
06-19-2022, 08:43 AM
Why is it okay to depict straight relationships in children’s media but not gay relationships?

BINGO!!!!!!!

Merlin1958
06-19-2022, 10:05 AM
Look, I don't give a flying fig who you choose to sleep with. What consenting adults choose to do is their own matter. While I don't necessarily believe the "Born this way" theory I understand it and accept it that others do. All I'm saying is that when it comes to children we don't encourage it. Let it come about naturally or organically then a child can approach their parents and have it all explained. It is certainly not the responsibility or purview of the Disney corporation to take on the role of a parent or guardian.

Disney should provide just vanilla children's entertainment in its "G" rating. That goes for the MPAA and its rating system. These are parental matters and should not be usurped by the state or corporate world IMHO. When kids are older and better able to understand and deal with these matters parents should take on the role of educators. just my "old fashioned" opinion.

And Mae, turn on your TV and I dare you to find 5 shows not currently depicting LGBTQ relationships/situations. I wouldn't think that the cause really needs to indoctrinate children under 12. And lets keep something in perspective here. LGBTQ community is still a minority. While they are entitled to the same rights and privileges as everyone else they shouldn't be able to dictate their position to the masses anymore than anyone else including the majority. I'm all for equal representation and openess, not indoctrination.

I may not be expressing my thoughts as eloquently as I should but basically I'm just saying lets leave the kids out of it and their education to the parents as they see fit. Is that so bad?

DoctorZaius
06-19-2022, 10:55 AM
Disney is not taking on the role of a parent or a guardian, they never have, they are creating entertainment. Then as a consumer, parents don their rightful roles said consumers and decide what they allow their children to watch. It's always been this way.

Presenting the world in a "vanilla" way is just another form of indoctrination. It's a just a form that you find more palatable to your personal beliefs, beliefs that many people share.

The reality for me is that children are born into LGBTQ+ families on a daily basis, and as they grow up they too deserve to see reflections of their own lives.

As a 58 year old white cisgender heterosexual male it's taken me a long time change my own thinking on this very complex issue.

mae
06-19-2022, 12:42 PM
And Mae, turn on your TV and I dare you to find 5 shows not currently depicting LGBTQ relationships/situations. I wouldn't think that the cause really needs to indoctrinate children under 12. And lets keep something in perspective here. LGBTQ community is still a minority. While they are entitled to the same rights and privileges as everyone else they shouldn't be able to dictate their position to the masses anymore than anyone else including the majority. I'm all for equal representation and openess, not indoctrination.

But Bill, you still haven't answered my question.

There is nothing inherently more sexual or something about same-sex relationships. Disney's movies about princess always have them swoon over some guy. Why can't the princess swoon over a girl? How is it different?

Also, "indoctrination"? As if who you're attracted to can be taught, it's something you're either attracted to or not. I don't like asparagus. No matter now many asparagus commercials I see, I won't start to like it.

Curly
06-19-2022, 08:22 PM
Bloody swooning girls! They're everywhere. 😀

webstar1000
06-20-2022, 03:07 AM
I wonder if the same sex / kiss affected this films opening weekend though? It did 30-35 million less than they expected...

Iwritecode
06-20-2022, 04:59 AM
While I don't necessarily believe the "Born this way" theory I understand it and accept it that others do.

Really? So tell me, when did you make the decision to be straight instead of gay?

DoctorZaius
06-20-2022, 05:44 AM
I wonder if the same sex / kiss affected this films opening weekend though? It did 30-35 million less than they expected...

I doubt that the "kiss" is responsible for the dramatic drop off, so much as weekend two of Jurassic Part Dominion, though I recognized it may have played a small part - so hard to speculate. The PG versus the traditional G rating surely played a part as well, and no Woody and the gang. So many variables.

Merlin1958
06-20-2022, 05:50 AM
Look, as stated above its a complex issue and obviously there are points to be made for either belief. We'll just have to agree to disagree and move on. I'm certainly not looking to start an argument. I'll just be screening, Disney "G" content in advance of my grand children viewing anything. I don't think a 5 or 6 yr old needs to learn about a woman's period or the gay community from a cartoon. Of course, that's just my opinion and all of you are more than entitled to yours as well. 'Nuff said?

webstar1000
06-20-2022, 05:58 AM

I doubt that the "kiss" is responsible for the dramatic drop off, so much as weekend two of Jurassic Part Dominion, though I recognized it may have played a small part - so hard to speculate. The PG versus the traditional G rating surely played a part as well, and no Woody and the gang. So many variables.

Totally agree. I do sincerely think there is a GOOD many homes that heard this and decided to not take their kids to see it. I think that would defiantly impact it but JP 100% played a part for sure.

Brian861
06-20-2022, 06:53 AM
Also, "indoctrination"? As if who you're attracted to can be taught, it's something you're either attracted to or not. I don't like asparagus. No matter now many asparagus commercials I see, I won't start to like it.

:lol: Never going to be an asparagus guy either. Literally or metaphorically.

Iwritecode
06-20-2022, 07:24 AM
Look, as stated above its a complex issue and obviously there are points to be made for either belief. We'll just have to agree to disagree and move on. I'm certainly not looking to start an argument. I'll just be screening, Disney "G" content in advance of my grand children viewing anything. I don't think a 5 or 6 yr old needs to learn about a woman's period or the gay community from a cartoon. Of course, that's just my opinion and all of you are more than entitled to yours as well. 'Nuff said?

Turning Red is rated PG and is definitely targeted at the young girls that need to or will soon be learning about what's happening with their bodies. Sure 5 or 6 may be a few years too young but that's why it's PG.

And I can't count the number of times I saw Bugs Bunny put on a dress and kiss another male cartoon character. Didn't bother me at all. I just cannot fathom why people are so upset about a Disney cartoon showing 2 consenting adults kissing.

That's a thing that happens in *checks notes* pretty much every Disney princess movie ever.

Lurker
06-20-2022, 07:46 AM
Just what is an old time Disney G? Shooting Bambi's mother? Wanting to catch and kill puppies to make coats?

ICry4Oy
06-20-2022, 08:15 AM
Just what is an old time Disney G? Shooting Bambi's mother? Wanting to catch and kill puppies to make coats?

It's funny that way, huh! Parents who are perfectly okay with showing their kids deatth and violence but freak tf out when two adults kiss.

OldCrow88
06-20-2022, 09:07 AM
Can we refocus this debate on the really pejorative part where somebody wished Merlin's grandkids would grow up to be Red Sox fans?!?

Merlin1958
06-20-2022, 09:46 AM
Can we refocus this debate on the really pejorative part where somebody wished Merlin's grandkids would grow up to be Red Sox fans?!?

God forbid that ever happens!! If it did I would have to send them to live with you in your shed or something!!! Fortunately, Grandpa has taught them well and they are both avid, Yankee fans!!! They both love, Judge.

Satisfied????? lol lol lol

ICry4Oy
06-21-2022, 09:15 AM

God forbid that ever happens!! If it did I would have to send them to live with you in your shed or something!!! Fortunately, Grandpa has taught them well and they are both avid, Yankee fans!!! They both love, Judge.

Wait a minute! At your age, wouldn't your grandkids be in their 20's? :nana:

Merlin1958
06-21-2022, 05:25 PM

Wait a minute! At your age, wouldn't your grandkids be in their 20's? :nana:

:FU: :wtf::wtf:

Merlin1958
06-24-2022, 08:23 PM
May I solicit a little help from some of you more "Tech" oriented folks out there?

I watch my streaming apps on my TV. I have a firestick to do this with. The other day, my internet went down for an hour or so. When it came back all the apps worked fine except for Disney+. Now, I can access, DTV on my laptop but I keep getting an error code (42 I think it was) trying to view DTV thru the firestick and my TV. Everything else works fine and the hi-speed internet connection is working fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get the DTV app working again? I was so looking forward to watching the Obi-Wan dinale and a rewatch of Dr. Strange but had to watch them on my laptop. Of course, DTV doesn't offer any telephone based help only FAQ. I'm an old fart what can I say. One DTV suggestion was to pull the firestick and re-insert it but, I'm worried I'll lose passwords fr the other apps and getting them again would be a real chore. I pay for Amazon and Disney, my daughter pays for Netflix, my son pays for Apple TV and Directv is just too much of a complicated issue to risk losing the PW. It's a whole thing with AT&T/Directv and my phone acct. Trust me you don't want to know the PITA that was to finally get right!!

HELP!!!???

Kongo
06-25-2022, 07:36 AM
Hey Wild Bill,

I have a firestick too, and sometimes I run into the same issues. If you go into your app menu, you can find and highlight Disney +, or your DTV app. It should give you various options, but if you click "force close" and "clear cache" it usually does the job.

Merlin1958
06-25-2022, 09:30 AM
Thank you. Ill give it a try!!!

mae
07-07-2022, 11:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGs-5G3qVwk

mae
08-11-2022, 04:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iYhpfuecI0

I have one of those 3-year promos at $140 that was given out before the launch and it should renew at the old price, before the increase.

cit74
08-12-2022, 05:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iYhpfuecI0

I have one of those 3-year promos at $140 that was given out before the launch and it should renew at the old price, before the increase.

Same here - we will see

cit74
10-14-2022, 08:06 AM
I just got my Disney+ renewal email - annual subscription for $79.99 or about $6.66/month - so I still guess that is a pretty decent price. So I updated my payment info on the website (stuff changes in 3 years) - and the renewal subscription price on my account says $69.99 annually - so we will see. Then they offer the bundle with HULU for $13.99/month. Not gonna switch - just stay at the lower price and then see what I am billed and where it goes next year.

Hopefully add free and still better than $10.99/mo

fernandito
10-14-2022, 08:34 AM
Did anyone here get a Disney Mystery Box? Apparently it was offered to those who extended their yearly contract...

My boss and her fam got one, there was some cool stuff in there!

mae
10-15-2022, 09:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocYDDO_04lQ

mae
11-07-2022, 01:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ6DbWEKyvQ

Tommy
11-14-2022, 08:09 PM
Disney+ is asking their subscribers to identify their genders. Not for kids under 13 and you can opt out but the reasoning is weird to me.
Why does Disney+ need my birthdate and gender? (https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=a3f7af9f87c791d44e3f7557cebb35d0)
The real reason is advertising.

Joe315
11-14-2022, 08:29 PM
Disney+ is asking their subscribers to identify their genders. Not for kids under 13 and you can opt out but the reasoning is weird to me.
Why does Disney+ need my birthdate and gender? (https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=a3f7af9f87c791d44e3f7557cebb35d0)
The real reason is advertising.

It’s all about the data.

fernandito
11-15-2022, 08:30 AM
Yeap, it's all about the data. They want to know how to market their future products and ads.

It's still weird as hell though.

mae
11-15-2022, 09:40 AM
Makes sense if it's the ad version, but useless if it's the regular version.

Brian861
11-15-2022, 12:00 PM
Looks like my cost will double to stay ad-free.

Hunchback Jack
11-15-2022, 12:09 PM
With a date of birth, full name, and gender, there's usually enough information to find a customer's public identity and record - date of birth, legal name, marital status, history of residence addresses, outstanding liens, homes purchased or rented, etc. They can then connect your viewing history to your public identity, and sell that information as market data. Buyers of that information can correlate that viewing data with data they get from other companies, also tied to your public identity.

So these simple pieces of information form an anchor point to which all data tracked about you across multiple platforms can be tied, increasing the market value of that data.

Even if Disney don't advertise to you personally, your viewing data is worth more to the companies they sell it to, if they can tie it unambiguously to your identity.

HBJ

mae
11-15-2022, 12:20 PM

My $140 promo for three years expired and was renewed at $80, instead of the $70 it was supposed to be :(

Brian861
11-15-2022, 12:22 PM

My $140 promo for three years expired and was renewed at $80, instead of the $70 it was supposed to be :(

Bummer for sure.

mae
06-13-2023, 03:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThU7_06h0fQ

mae
09-22-2023, 04:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuQrVla3TTk