PDA

View Full Version : Technical questions about the site

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

Br!an
11-09-2017, 04:28 PM
That's five times better than it was before!

:orely: Perhaps ten would be enough. :evil:

stroppygoblin
11-10-2017, 02:54 AM

OK, I upped it to 10. That should be sufficient. If you have more then you can do them in batches of up to 10. I think other than someone transferring their entire collection in one go, 10 will be more than adequate.

Brian861
11-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Stroppygoblin

I figured Simon was the guy behind the curtain.

OK, I upped it to 10. That should be sufficient. If you have more then you can do them in batches of up to 10. I think other than someone transferring their entire collection in one go, 10 will be more than adequate.

Thanks, Simon for doing this! Speaking selfishly, since this is the only way I upload my photos, ten is spot on!

stroppygoblin
11-11-2017, 09:16 AM
I have made another small tweak to the photo upload. You should now be able to upload directly from your newer mobile phone (at least an iPhone 6/7) without needing to resize or reprocess the image.

This tweak meant increasing the permitted max resolution (but not the overall file size) a little. RF, if this causes any problems server wise, let me know and I will restore the previous settings.

Randall Flagg
11-11-2017, 09:46 AM
I'll have to try that on my 4 year old Android...soon as I figure out how to even attempt it.

stroppygoblin
11-11-2017, 11:23 AM
I'll have to try that on my 4 year old Android...soon as I figure out how to even attempt it.

It's pretty much the same as doing it on a PC, Gallery>My Photos> Upload Photo.

When you hit the button to select a photo it should show the Phones native file selector. On an iPhone, this will allow you to pick from your stored photos on the device or use the camera. On an Android, it should be similar, but probably allow you to access the file system as well.

This has always been possible, its just that newer phones with better cameras create larger resolution photos which were then ignored in the upload process (no error is show, but the photo doesn't appear in the gallery). I jus increased the allowable resolution to allow this.

EDIT: small gotcha for those that use the GreyFolio Black theme. The font used in the top menu (where the Gallery button is) is larger for this theme. This means that on a phone (or at least an iPhone) the Gallery button gets obscured by the search field and you cant get to the gallery. A simple work round is to temporarily change your theme to VB4 Default whilst you upload your photos. this has a smaller font and you can get to the gallery button. I'll post some screenshots shortly to explain all this a little better.

this shows the problem with the Greyfolio skin:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/922/IMG_3753.PNG

and this is how it looks on the VB4 Default:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/922/IMG_3754.PNG

Randall Flagg
11-11-2017, 11:36 AM
All users should use the Take Five 4.0.8 skin.
That's what the site is supposed to look like. Of course we offer 3 other options because we love our members.

stroppygoblin
11-11-2017, 11:38 AM
That's what the site is supposed to look like. Of course we offer 3 other options because we love our members.

These days, like Roland, I'm a dark skin kind of a guy...

Randall Flagg
11-11-2017, 12:05 PM
On my Android, the only skin that doesn't cut off the Gallery option is the Take Five.

stroppygoblin
11-11-2017, 12:07 PM
On my Android, the only skin that doesn't cut off the Gallery option is the Take Five.

Ideally the menu should wrap over 2 lines. I don't think I have admin access to the skins though, otherwise I'd take a look at how it's managed.

Brian861
11-11-2017, 12:41 PM

Yep. I'm a Take Five guy.

P.S. Simon, you phone needs a charge, bud :)

jsmcmullen92
11-11-2017, 02:14 PM

Yep. I'm a Take Five.

P.S. Simon, you phone needs a charge, bud :)Its an apple feature ;) never hold a charge.

Brian861
11-11-2017, 04:29 PM

Yep. I'm a Take Five.

P.S. Simon, you phone needs a charge, bud :)Its an apple feature ;) never hold a charge.

:P

amd013
11-16-2017, 09:55 AM

I use the second option, mostly because if I see the Take Five 4.0.8 skin, then I know I am not logged in.

Anywho, came to this thread for a different question.

I am reading an old thread with many posts, and won't be able to read it all in one (or even several) sittings. So was wondering if there is a way to bookmark a post as where you stopped in the thread?

Thanks,
Mike

Iwritecode
11-16-2017, 10:03 AM

I use the second option, mostly because if I see the Take Five 4.0.8 skin, then I know I am not logged in.

Anywho, came to this thread for a different question.

I am reading an old thread with many posts, and won't be able to read it all in one (or even several) sittings. So was wondering if there is a way to bookmark a post as where you stopped in the thread?

Thanks,
Mike

Each post has a post number in the upper right that is an actual clickable link. You should be able to save that specific link into your bookmarks.

Iwritecode
11-16-2017, 10:06 AM
For example, here is the link for post #481 in this thread. I just picked one at random.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?22-Technical-questions-about-the-site&p=103215&viewfull=1#post103215

If you go to that link and do a "bookmark this page", it will take you directly to that post every time.

Brian861
11-16-2017, 01:57 PM
For example, here is the link for post #481 in this thread. I just picked one at random.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?22-Technical-questions-about-the-site&p=103215&viewfull=1#post103215

If you go to that link and do a "bookmark this page", it will take you directly to that post every time.

Wow. Never realized that. Lesson of the day.

Randall Flagg
11-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Don't feel bad, I didn't know either.

Brian861
11-16-2017, 03:08 PM
Don't feel bad, I didn't know either.

:thumbsup:

Jon
11-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Yes...and it's handy to send VIA pm to a friend when involved in a discussion... or stupid, ancient jokes...

How to keep a moron busy. Click Here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?22-Technical-questions-about-the-site&p=1087926&viewfull=1#post1087926)

Br!an
12-01-2017, 11:30 AM
The site is acting up. I can't expand the edit window. The formatting changes when posting. Using the newest Firefox.

Randall Flagg
12-01-2017, 02:13 PM
More info please.
PC, mobile, Apple, etc.
Screen shots help.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Does anyone know how, or a program I can download to fix and/or recover files from a corrupted flash drive using Windows 10?

stroppygoblin
12-13-2017, 01:11 AM
Does anyone know how, or a program I can download to fix and/or recover files from a corrupted flash drive using Windows 10?

Try, this: https://www.easeus.com/resource/drive/usb-flash-drive.htm (https://www.easeus.com/resource/drive/usb-flash-drive.htm)

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-13-2017, 05:18 AM
Thanks Simon. I almost used that program, then I got cold feet about it. But now I'll download and try it again!

dnemec
12-15-2017, 11:44 AM
I haven't been getting emails to my subscribed threads. It's only been happening for 2 days. Anyone else having this problem?

Randall Flagg
12-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Try unsubscibing to them, log out, then log in and resubscibe.
Not very elegant, but it might work.
Let me know.

Brian861
12-15-2017, 03:13 PM
I haven't been getting emails to my subscribed threads. It's only been happening for 2 days. Anyone else having this problem?

No problems here, Dez although I have experienced it before. Seemed to have fixed itself about a week later.

dnemec
12-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Let me know.

Thanks, Jerome. Done. Now we shall see!

dnemec
12-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Let me know.

Thanks, Jerome. Done. Now we shall see!

No luck. Any other ideas?

Randall Flagg
12-16-2017, 02:41 PM
I just changed a setting in your user info.
Let me know.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-20-2017, 05:56 PM
Why, if I upload a photo to my gallery, copy the image location, put it on my collection thread, then try to upload another photo, won't the next upload take place even though the site says it did? I hope that makes sense.

stroppygoblin
12-21-2017, 01:26 AM
Why, if I upload a photo to my gallery, copy the image location, put it on my collection thread, then try to upload another photo, won't the next upload take place even though the site says it did? I hope that makes sense.

First, why not upload all the photos at the same time? The upload got enhanced recently enabling you to do up to 10 at once.
Secondly, If you try again does the second photo upload that time? basically I'm asking if you cannot upload that second photo at all, or just in the sequence you stated above.

Br!an
12-21-2017, 04:30 AM

If the image is too large it won't upload. It will say the upload is complete though.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-21-2017, 05:16 AM
The image is not large, will not upload, and the only times I tried uploading more than one image at a time, neither uploaded, although the prompt says they did. I will try the multiple upload again though, and see what happens.

stroppygoblin
12-21-2017, 05:47 AM
The image is not large, will not upload, and the only times I tried uploading more than one image at a time, neither uploaded, although the prompt says they did. I will try the multiple upload again though, and see what happens.

PM sent

Jon
01-07-2018, 12:26 AM
When I visit threads that have folks posting many videos, such as The Forge's Best/Worst Cover Songs or Now Playing, my ad blocker goes ape shit; on the order of 30 ads blocked. Yet the videos all play and load fine. Why?

Not a big deal..just curious.

Br!an
01-07-2018, 05:41 AM
When I visit threads that have folks posting many videos, such as The Forge's Best/Worst Cover Songs or Now Playing, my ad blocker goes ape shit; on the order of 30 ads blocked. Yet the videos all play and load fine. Why?

Not a big deal..just curious.

You should be able to click on the ad blocker and see what is being blocked. There are no ads. There are plenty of trackers though.

Randall Flagg
01-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Back on topic please. This is one of the few threads that concern me when there is a new post, thus I freak out, only to see it isn't a problem with the site, just a tech question and a few snappy comments,

stroppygoblin
01-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Back on topic please. This is one of the few threads that concern me when there is a new post, thus I freak out, only to see it isn't a problem with the site, just a tech question and a few snappy comments,

I created a new thread - Brady Hartsfield Tech Line (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?21325-Brady-Hartsfield-Tech-Line&p=1093263#post1093263).

Please use this for non site tech advice/requests - I'll move the above posts shortly.

Randall Flagg
01-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Brilliant Title.

Brian861
01-18-2018, 09:56 PM

I created a new thread - Brady Hartsfield Tech Line (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?21325-Brady-Hartsfield-Tech-Line&p=1093263#post1093263).

Please use this for non site tech advice/requests - I'll move the above posts shortly.

I've read that he even does home visits :evil:

Br!an
03-09-2018, 11:12 AM
The site is acting up. I can't expand the edit window. The formatting changes when posting. Using the newest Firefox.

More info please. PC, mobile, Apple, etc. Screen shots help. More info? Okay. Lenovo PC running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with Firefox Quantum browser. None of the BBCode works by clicking icons. I can't post a link, a picture, a video, a smiley. I can't use spoilers or italics or change fonts. I can't write paragraphs, or more accurately the site renders separate paragraphs as a single paragraph. I can't copy and paste a news article because all formatting is removed and it appears as one paragraph. I can type the code myself and make it work, but that's mostly a pain in the ass.

ICry4Oy
03-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Some of that happens to me (desktop Windows 10 PC, IE11) but if I click the "Switch Editor Mode" on the far right, it all works fine.

Randall Flagg
03-09-2018, 12:48 PM

More info please. PC, mobile, Apple, etc. Screen shots help. More info? Okay. Lenovo PC running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with Firefox Quantum browser. None of the BBCode works by clicking icons. I can't post a link, a picture, a video, a smiley. I can't use spoilers or italics or change fonts. I can't write paragraphs, or more accurately the site renders separate paragraphs as a single paragraph. I can't copy and paste a news article because all formatting is removed and it appears as one paragraph. I can type the code myself and make it work, but that's mostly a pain in the ass.

Have you experimented with Chrome, or IE? I love Firefox, but sometimes I experience quirks when editing my own posts, or articles in the Catalog, and I switch to Chrome-no problem.

Br!an
03-09-2018, 01:08 PM

Have you experimented with Chrome, or IE? I love Firefox, but sometimes I experience quirks when editing my own posts, or articles in the Catalog, and I switch to Chrome-no problem.

I have switched over to IE in the past in order to keep the formatting of articles I wanted to share.. That works most of the time. I have had some problems with IE too though. Also I just don't like it. Chrome works, but Alphabet gets enough info about me without me providing them with all of my browsing activity. I don't even have it on my computer or phone. I wouldn't have IE on my computer either if that was an option.

Br!an
03-11-2018, 07:04 AM
So here are a few screenshots from a thread in which I replied to a post.

The Reply With Quote window:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/tdtss1.png

My response the way I want it to be:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/tdtss2.png

The way the site changes the intended formatting:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/tdtss3.png

My response the way I must enter it in order for the formatting to work correctly:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/tdtss4.png

The way it appears after entering the code myself:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/tdtss5.png

Randall Flagg
03-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Did you try clicking on the "Switch editor mode" button near the top right?
It's a square with two "A's" in it.

Br!an
03-11-2018, 07:43 AM
It doesn't work. Nothing above the edit window works. I can scroll over the icons and the dialog box explaining the icon comes up. Nothing happens when I click. Right-click treats it as a picture.

jsmcmullen92
03-11-2018, 07:51 AM
I believe I get an email the other day saying something about BBCode and Vbulliten were having issues (or it was tapatalk). Not sure whatever came if it.

Iwritecode
03-12-2018, 05:04 AM

Comparing his screenshots to my window, I don't even have that button. I have the button next to it that increases/decreases the size of the window. But that's it.

stroppygoblin
03-12-2018, 05:28 AM

I dont have that button either.

Whats worrying is that Brian is entering HTML tags in his post which AFAIK shouldn't be allowed as it's specifically switched off. Thats why we have the BBCODE tags so that it limits whats allowed in the markup.
Having HTML switched on opens the site up to some nefarious posts...

While vB provides the capability to allow HTML, one should never use it. It opens your board to attack.

Use bbcodes. If you need to emulate an HTML tag, write a new bbcode.

The problem with allowing the injection of HTML is a complicated one. There is no 100% safe method to allow HTML and feel secure. Some of the issues and interactions are:

1. The obviously dangerous tags like SCRIPT and APPLET are not the only danger. Any injection of a URL can be dangerous. Any tag that allows for a URL (e.g., a, img, frame, ...) can be used for cross-site scripting and cookie stealing, which can allow someone to hack into your board.

2. Hackers can use various tricks that would result in a tag getting through the filter imposed by the PHP checker. Possible examples:
a) <sc\0ript> becomes <script>
b) <scr<embed>ipt> becomes <embed> or <script>

3. Then there is the issue of malicious tag attributes and events such as onclick and onmouseup.

jsmcmullen92
03-12-2018, 05:31 AM

I dont have that button either.

Whats worrying is that Brian is entering HTML tags in his post which AFAIK shouldn't be allowed as it's specifically switched off. Thats why we have the BBCODE tags so that it limits whats allowed in the markup.
Having HTML switched on opens the site up to some nefarious posts...

While vB provides the capability to allow HTML, one should never use it. It opens your board to attack.

Use bbcodes. If you need to emulate an HTML tag, write a new bbcode.

The problem with allowing the injection of HTML is a complicated one. There is no 100% safe method to allow HTML and feel secure. Some of the issues and interactions are:

1. The obviously dangerous tags like SCRIPT and APPLET are not the only danger. Any injection of a URL can be dangerous. Any tag that allows for a URL (e.g., a, img, frame, ...) can be used for cross-site scripting and cookie stealing, which can allow someone to hack into your board.

2. Hackers can use various tricks that would result in a tag getting through the filter imposed by the PHP checker. Possible examples:
a) <sc\0ript> becomes <script>
b) <scr<embed>ipt> becomes <embed> or <script>

3. Then there is the issue of malicious tag attributes and events such as onclick and onmouseup.

Wow didn't even notice that... wonder if some HTML gets translated to BB on insert of the reply.

Br!an
03-12-2018, 06:02 AM
Good thing I'm not a hacker. :evil: It is worrying that one could gain access though.

I just ran CCleaner to clear out cookies, history, settings, and the registry. It seems that the site is working again. :orely:

Did you also do something, Simon? I don't think I could have granted myself HTML privileges.

stroppygoblin
03-12-2018, 06:03 AM
Ok, a quick bit of testing shows HTML is definitely off.

That button is not shown in Chrome but does appear if using Firefox. Basically it switches the editor into WYSIWYG mode, but doesn't allow entering of HTML

Br!an
03-12-2018, 06:11 AM
Ok, a quick bit of testing shows HTML is definitely off.

That button is not shown in Chrome but does appear if using Firefox. Basically it switches the editor into WYSIWYG mode, but doesn't allow entering of HTML

I find it makes editing easier when posting multiple images. You'll see the links with BBCode tags instead of the picture.

jsmcmullen92
03-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Is anyone else having issues with the site lately? When I try and come here I always get the below error on Chrome. If I go through Mozilla it works just fine.

*Running Windows 10 Chrome Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/tdt.png (http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showfull.php?photo=22828)

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-12-2018, 11:40 AM
I'm having zero issues, using Firefox.

Brian861
03-12-2018, 11:45 AM
No problems with IE.

Bev Vincent
03-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Is anyone else having issues with the site lately? When I try and come here I always get the below error on Chrome. If I go through Mozilla it works just fine.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/tdt.png (http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showfull.php?photo=22828)

No problem with Windows Chrome 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit) for me.

jsmcmullen92
03-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Just cleared cookies and Cache and it's still happening... Weird. Maybe I'll just move overt to firefox

Randall Flagg
03-12-2018, 12:17 PM

When I test with the exact version of Chrome that you are running there is no problem accessing the page.

jsmcmullen92
03-12-2018, 12:18 PM

When I test with the exact version of Chrome that you are running there is no problem accessing the page.I'm guessing it's my chrome. I don't think there is an issue on your end. Seems to happen mostly with this site but now I'm seeing it in other places as well.

Iwritecode
03-22-2018, 06:42 AM
Anyone else getting a database error screen when trying to navigate the site?

Randall Flagg
03-22-2018, 07:34 AM
Sorry about the site outage. Hopefully all is well now.

Randall Flagg
03-22-2018, 07:35 AM
???

Bev Vincent
03-22-2018, 07:49 AM
Has there been a bad merge? These last three posts look like they belong somewhere else.

mae
03-23-2018, 04:37 AM
Is this related to the site issue we had yesterday? I have one PM showing unread and had an email notification come in, but inside my PM area I do not see any new message... Weird.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-23-2018, 04:39 AM
My latest posts have all vanished and it seems no new posts are shown for the last 8 hours. Something's wrong, but I don't know what.

jsmcmullen92
03-23-2018, 05:29 AM
Looks like there might still be an issue. when I try looking at the thread 'Aftermarket Slipcases & Traycases'. I can hit page 46 but when I try to go to the last post I get:

Database Error Database error
The Palaver - A forum for Stephen King fans & Book Collectors database has encountered a problem.
Please try the following:
Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
Open the www.thedarktower.org home page, then try to open another page.
Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.thedarktower.org forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

stroppygoblin
03-23-2018, 05:32 AM
Looks like there might still be an issue. when I try looking at the thread 'Aftermarket Slipcases & Traycases'. I can hit page 46 but when I try to go to the last post I get:

The Palaver - A forum for Stephen King fans & Book Collectors database has encountered a problem.
The www.thedarktower.org forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

Yes, for me it's page 47. I know there are more posts after that ('cos I posted them) , but I dont see them. The last Post I see is from Kerry (Sentinel)

stroppygoblin
03-23-2018, 05:34 AM
It seems all of my posts from this morning have gone.

jsmcmullen92
03-23-2018, 05:34 AM
Simon IDK what you just posted as now that you posted here I can no longer open the last page of this one either. I confirmed it on a few other pages too. I tried other browsers and it's happening in all of them.

Randall Flagg
03-23-2018, 06:12 AM
We are working on the database error problem.

Randall Flagg
03-23-2018, 06:12 AM
Working on database error

becca69
03-23-2018, 07:30 AM
I can't see the last page of this thread so not sure if this has been addressed. I've been getting this message for a few days, randomly…

Tommy
03-23-2018, 07:32 AM
omit

Girlystevedave
03-24-2018, 05:26 AM
Seriously, whoever put the time and energy into fixing the very odd database error,...thank you. :)

Randall Flagg
03-24-2018, 05:50 AM
That would be my tech person (son). Sorry it took so long, but he is in the Philippines on business, so when problems started he was dead asleep due to the 15 hour time difference from home.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-24-2018, 06:13 AM
My daily 'fix' is up and running again, thank you.

mae
03-24-2018, 06:30 AM
All hail the King! :panic:

mae
03-24-2018, 11:40 AM
I think if you see any weird post that's not yours, just click edit and save it. It will be your post again.

Is this related to the site issue we had yesterday? I have one PM showing unread and had an email notification come in, but inside my PM area I do not see any new message... Weird.

Any way this could be fixed? :unsure:

Randall Flagg
03-24-2018, 12:21 PM
I think if you see any weird post that's not yours, just click edit and save it. It will be your post again.

Any way this could be fixed? :unsure:

It has been fixed. ..repaired.
There were corrupted posts, etc. At least we didn't have to roll the site back to 1 or 2 days ago.
The site backs up day at ~12:05 am .
We didn't want to erase 200+ posts, so settled for a few dozen.

mae
03-26-2018, 02:43 AM
My issue with the phantom PM is still happening, though. At the top it says Notifications: 1 and 1 Unread Private Messages, but when going to the PM inbox, it's not there. I think it's gotta be related, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

stroppygoblin
03-26-2018, 04:20 AM
My issue with the phantom PM is still happening, though. At the top it says Notifications: 1 and 1 Unread Private Messages, but when going to the PM inbox, it's not there. I think it's gotta be related, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

just sent you a PM - see if viewing this will reset your unread message count

mae
03-26-2018, 04:33 AM
It worked, thank you :excited:

stroppygoblin
03-26-2018, 04:34 AM
It worked, thank you :excited:

:thumbsup:

Br!an
03-26-2018, 03:03 PM
I haven't been able to log since 3/20. The problem has now been fixed. :clap:

stroppygoblin
03-26-2018, 03:13 PM

Good to have you back Br!an :thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
03-26-2018, 04:16 PM

Good to have you back Br!an :thumbsup:
Although his post count shows as 1.
BTAIM, his posts are there; I just don't fell like counting them. :)

Randall Flagg
03-30-2018, 09:50 AM
TEST

herbertwest
03-30-2018, 09:50 AM
Are the site's outage "finish" now? :)

mae
03-30-2018, 09:58 AM
Looks like some posts might have been lost?

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-30-2018, 10:13 AM
I lost a telephone pole post, a fence post and some post-it notes. I'm blaming that on Palaver.

Tommy
03-30-2018, 01:39 PM
I'm just now able to sign back on.

Randall Flagg
03-30-2018, 01:49 PM
Me too.
I'm so frustrated I'm ready to throw in the towel.
There are so many medical issues I'm dealing with, then having this stuff makes me want to prioritize.

Tommy
03-30-2018, 01:50 PM
I'm sorry to hear that RF.

Girlystevedave
03-30-2018, 02:03 PM
I'm sorry as well. I can't imagine the stress that must go into running this site when you look at the amount of members who are dependent on it.
I feel like this is a stupid question, but is there a way we can help?

Randall Flagg
03-30-2018, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry as well. I can't imagine the stress that must go into running this site when you look at the amount of members who are dependent on it.
I feel like this is a stupid question, but is there a way we can help?
Not really, but thanks for asking. Members contributed to keep the site ad free, and I don't feel comfortable asking for any more help-particularly when the site has been offline several times in the last week or so.

Randall Flagg
03-30-2018, 02:41 PM
But, hey, there are still no ads :)

Jon
03-31-2018, 07:28 PM
Not really, but thanks for asking. Members contributed to keep the site ad free, and I don't feel comfortable asking for any more help-particularly when the site has been offline several times in the last week or so.

Then post a pic of your junk.

Randall Flagg
04-01-2018, 03:36 AM
http://res.cloudinary.com/hrscywv4p/image/upload/c_limit,fl_lossy,h_9000,w_1200,f_auto,q_auto/v1/296541/junk_Image_trqtlk.png

stroppygoblin
04-01-2018, 04:12 AM
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/navio-chinês-da-sucata-63634307.jpg

Bev Vincent
04-15-2018, 03:30 PM
Locked thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1283-Stephen-King-Collecting-Questions&p=1104567#post1104567

stroppygoblin
04-15-2018, 04:16 PM
Locked thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1283-Stephen-King-Collecting-Questions&p=1104567#post1104567

fixed.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-18-2018, 04:30 AM
Is there a way to select all messages in my SENT box, and delete them all at once instead of one at a time?

Bev Vincent
04-18-2018, 04:41 AM
Is there a way to select all messages in my SENT box, and delete them all at once instead of one at a time?

On the upper-righthand side of the page, there's a checkbox that selects all of the messages in the message listing, or you can check the boxes next to the entries you want to delete. After your selections are made, choose Delete from the dropdown at the bottom of the listing (it says Selected Messages)

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-18-2018, 04:17 PM

On the upper-righthand side of the page, there's a checkbox that selects all of the messages in the message listing, or you can check the boxes next to the entries you want to delete. After your selections are made, choose Delete from the dropdown at the bottom of the listing (it says Selected Messages)

Thanks! Now I know why I couldn't do it - it was extremely simple!

Br!an
04-18-2018, 06:41 PM

It's a good idea to download a copy of your PMs prior to deletion.

stroppygoblin
04-18-2018, 07:58 PM

Unless you are a politician...

Jon
04-21-2018, 06:26 PM

Unless you are a politician...

But you'll want to save those pics Stormy PMed you!!

Br!an
05-05-2018, 08:17 AM
So the site went out for a short while this morning. Maintenance?

Now the clock is wrong. It's 12:17 PM in Florida. This post says 8:17 AM.

Randall Flagg
05-05-2018, 08:52 AM
I'm seeing the correct time for the site, and this post (9:52 PDT)

Randall Flagg
05-05-2018, 08:53 AM
So the site went out for a short while this morning. Maintenance?

Now the clock is wrong. It's 12:17 PM in Florida. This post says 8:17 AM.
I see your post stamped as 9:17 AM PDT (which equals 12:17 PM EDT).

Br!an
05-05-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm seeing the correct time for the site, and this post (9:52 PDT)

Your post says 08:52 AM

Mine is still wrong, 8:17 AM

Perhaps it's a Daylight Savings Time thing.

Randall Flagg
05-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Go to Settings
General Settings
Scroll down to date and time options
Make sure you have the correct time zone selected, and from drop down box choose automatically detects DST

Br!an
05-05-2018, 02:52 PM
That did it. Thanks.

Randall Flagg
05-05-2018, 03:21 PM
We aim to please.

Jon
05-06-2018, 06:48 PM
...sure I'll loan ya' a dime!

Father Cody
05-09-2018, 06:19 PM
I can’t figure out if “Followers” is a feature of the forum or the Tapatalk app. It’s acting a little wonky for me so thought I’d ask here in case it’s a forum thing. The issue I’m having is that followers and followings seem to be added and/or removed every so often. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, is there any functionality gained by using this feature? I think I’m missing the point if there is.

jsmcmullen92
05-09-2018, 06:50 PM
That's tapatalk. No idea what it's for

Father Cody
05-10-2018, 02:19 AM

Ah ok. Thank you sir.

Father Cody
05-10-2018, 02:28 AM

Ah ok. Thank you sir.

One thing I just noticed is that it added you to my “Following” list after I quote-replied to your reply. So it seems Tapatalk is possibly automatically following members we have conversations with. Probably for some feature of vBulletin not used on this forum, I’m guessing.

becca69
05-17-2018, 11:16 AM
I have to use Firefox now as Safari is no longer supported on my iMac so I've switched to Firefox. Just now, it automatically updated and now I see this and I'm not sure what the problem is? A font maybe? Any help appreciated.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/1003/medium/Screen_Shot_2018-05-17_at_3_00_59_PM.png

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 11:22 AM
Maybe font issue but that would be odd considering you’re using the default theme. When I get back to my computer I’ll check which fonts are used on the site so you can check if you have them installed on your Mac. Maybe try updating Firefox or using Chrome instead.

becca69
05-17-2018, 11:28 AM
Maybe font issue but that would be odd considering you’re using the default theme. When I get back to my computer I’ll check which fonts are used on the site so you can check if you have them installed on your Mac. Maybe try updating Firefox or using Chrome instead.

This literally just happened. I had Firefox open, I quit out of Firefox, when I relaunched it, it automatically updated and now I see this. I didn't shut down my computer or close any fonts.

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 11:32 AM

This literally just happened. I had Firefox open, I quit out of Firefox, when I relaunched it, it automatically updated and now I see this. I didn't shut down my computer or close any fonts.

Oh I see, so you’re already running the latest version of FF. Can you try restarting your computer? Does it also look like that in Chrome?

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 11:36 AM
It looks like an encoding issue really. Check this out: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1075866

Just going to keep throwing possible solutions your way until one works :lol:

becca69
05-17-2018, 11:59 AM
I am not a web person at all. And this is the only site I'm having the issue with. I don't have or use Chrome. I was a Safari only person until I could no longer update it and it's started giving me problems although I am using it to post on this site. I can't upgrade the OS because all of my design programs would have to be repurchased and that's a huge expense.

becca69
05-17-2018, 12:09 PM
I was able to fix the issue. I had to disable "allow websites to chose their own fonts".

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 12:12 PM
I was able to fix the issue. I had to disable "allow websites to chose their own fonts".

Ninja :ninja:

Randall Flagg
05-17-2018, 12:15 PM
That's weird, but glad you figured it out. I use a PC and Firefox auto upgraded this morning, but no issues. I really want to switch to Chrome, but I've used FF forever.

becca69
05-17-2018, 04:00 PM
It's super weird as this is the only site it affected.

Randall Flagg
05-17-2018, 04:25 PM
It's super weird as this is the only site it affected.
Just for the hell of it (although if it's fixed, why go back to test), try other skins.

Father Cody
06-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Noticing double/duplicate posts in collection threads the last few days. Someone posts one comment but two (identical) comments display instead of just the one. Check peripheral and ur2ndbiggestfan’s collection threads.

Edit: not sure if this is the appropriate thread to post this. It’s the most relevant one I could find.

ICry4Oy
06-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Did something change on the site or is it just me? I've tried it in IE11, MS Edge and Firefox. When I log in at the top right (desktop) my password shows instead of "dots" and it tells me it is incorrect and gives me a full page login where I am able to log in. Also when I double click the sub forum icons to make those posts go away from the "unread posts", nothing happens. Not really a big deal, just slightly annoying.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Everything's working the same for me, no problems at all.

St. Troy
06-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Did something change on the site or is it just me? I've tried it in IE11, MS Edge and Firefox. When I log in at the top right (desktop) my password shows instead of "dots" and it tells me it is incorrect and gives me a full page login where I am able to log in. Also when I double click the sub forum icons to make those posts go away from the "unread posts", nothing happens. Not really a big deal, just slightly annoying.

I've got some weird stuff happening too: the same things you mention when I logged in, then when I hover my cursor over the "top" button at the bottom of the page, I can't click it because instantly a menu pops up with all kinds of stuff on it (I think subforums but possibly includes other things as well).

It hasn't stopped me from getting around, but something seems to be up.

FYI, I access it with Chrome and haven't tried anything else.

Randall Flagg
06-14-2018, 12:30 PM
Looking into it. Not using my laptop right now. Using Android phone, but I am experiencing the Top of Page misdirect.

jhanic
06-15-2018, 05:26 AM
I'm having the same problem with double-clicking the forum symbol to indicate the threads have been read. It just stopped working. I use the latest version of Firefox.

John

Father Cody
06-15-2018, 06:14 AM
Noticing double/duplicate posts in collection threads the last few days. Someone posts one comment but two (identical) comments display instead of just the one. Check peripheral and ur2ndbiggestfan’s collection threads.

Edit: not sure if this is the appropriate thread to post this. It’s the most relevant one I could find.

So no one else is seeing double posts? Must be a Tapatalk bug then.

Randall Flagg
06-15-2018, 06:16 AM
Not seeing double posts.

ICry4Oy
06-15-2018, 09:51 AM
Also not seeing anything doubled. ...but glad I'm not the only one with the double-clicking icons and login stuff!

Randall Flagg
06-15-2018, 03:53 PM
This is Joseph (Randall Flagg's youngest) here posting for him, just a quick update;

DO Not CLEAR Cache/History
There is currently an issue effecting Phones and ALL PCs (all web-browsers) when one clears cache/history.
The issue causes Context menus to overshadow the "Top" button on the forums as well as disables the "Skin Change" menu. (you can select a skin but it will not enact).
This issue effects ALL Phone browsers CURRENTLY and WILL affect ALL PC browsers upon Cache/History clear.
We are working on this issue. It appears to be PHP/Java related.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

As a Slight Workaround on the phone for the "Top" Button, there is an ADDITIONAL NON-Javascript "Top" button on the VERY VERY bottom of the website next to "Privacy Statement" which DOES currently work and shouldnt be affected by our current issue

jhanic
06-16-2018, 01:07 AM
Not clearing rhe cache and history seems to have worked for me. Thanks!!

John

ICry4Oy
06-16-2018, 09:45 AM
I still clear my cache & history every time I exit any browser BUT for me everything is back to working the way it did! Thanks to the gurus!!!

jhanic
06-16-2018, 10:26 AM
I'll start clearing mine again and see what happens.

John

Jon
06-17-2018, 02:39 AM

My friend. When I see double, I just switch to beer and close one eye.

jhanic
06-17-2018, 04:32 AM
I've been clearing the cache and histories for the past couple days with no problems at all.

John

Father Cody
06-17-2018, 04:35 AM

My friend. When I see double, I just switch to beer and close one eye.

Haha! Well done, sir.

Father Cody
06-18-2018, 07:46 PM
How do we report a possible error in the catalog?

stroppygoblin
06-19-2018, 12:39 AM

Mention it in the comments section of that particular entry. If it's up for debate it will be debated. I (or RF) will then fix the error.

Father Cody
06-19-2018, 08:15 AM

Mention it in the comments section of that particular entry. If it's up for debate it will be debated. I (or RF) will then fix the error.

Thanks and done.

Jon
06-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Do you mean the bra section of the Sears catalog page 127?

There;s NO way that brunette is a 34c!!

Br!an
07-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Why am I suddenly getting email notifications about people replying to threads I've subscribed to?

Why am I still getting emails after I changed the setting about receiving emails?

I've never asked for email notification and I don't want it.

Randall Flagg
07-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Re do your settings,or allow my to experiment.

Jon
07-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Why am I suddenly getting email notifications about people replying to threads I've subscribed to?

Why am I still getting emails after I changed the setting about receiving emails?

I've never asked for email notification and I don't want it.

Possibly related:

For the past 5 months or so I have been subscribed, mysteriously to every thread I have posted in. No big deal , just FYI. My account has been screwy for a long time.

Br!an
07-22-2018, 03:50 AM
When I first noticed the notifications, I went into the settings. My subscriptions were set to receiving emails for some strange and unknown reason. I never set it that way.

I changed the setting back to "Through my control panel only."

I still received notifications for a couple of threads.

I've now unsubscribed from those threads and then resubscribed with the "Through my control panel only" option.

We'll see if that solved the problem.

Br!an
07-30-2018, 03:47 PM
Am I allowed to ask a technical question that is NOT about the site, but about my computer start up?

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Merlin1958
07-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Am I allowed to ask a technical question that is NOT about the site, but about my computer start up?

Technically, no!!!! lol lol

stroppygoblin
07-31-2018, 01:38 AM

I created a thread specifically for that purpose: Brady Hartsfield tech Line (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?21325-Brady-Hartsfield-Tech-Line)

Father Cody
07-31-2018, 03:46 PM
So no one else is seeing double posts? Must be a Tapatalk bug then.

Turns out it is in fact a Tapatalk bug. And it causes some of the latest posts to disappear in addition to duplicating the last post. To fix it just click the double up arrows then the double down arrows. Unfortunately you have to do this every time you open a thread.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180731/45b3fa86b8fe91ae4b5b9881333a7463.png

Br!an
08-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Is the attachment option a thing you can do with this version of vBulletin?

If so, have you simply chosen not to use it?

Randall Flagg
08-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Is the attachment option a thing you can do with this version of vBulletin?

If so, have you simply chosen not to use it?
Please clarify a bit more.

Randall Flagg
08-11-2018, 12:03 PM

I believe the above image is an attachment.

Br!an
08-11-2018, 12:08 PM
It seems there is an attachment option. You have control of the parameters as to who can do it and the file type. It allows a person to attach files to their post.

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/acp_attachments_introduction

Br!an
08-11-2018, 12:11 PM

I believe the above image is an attachment.

Yes it is.

Randall Flagg
08-11-2018, 12:12 PM
It seems there is an attachment option. You have control of the parameters as to who can do it and the file type. It allows a person to attach files to their post.

I believe I just did that 2 posts up.

Are you not allowed to upload an attachment?

What are the benefits to allowing members to upload attachments?
What are the drawbacks (I seem to recall discussing this with staff years ago, and can't recall the thoughts for/against)?

Br!an
08-11-2018, 12:13 PM
There may well be good reasons not to allow this or at least limit it.

Father Cody
08-11-2018, 12:14 PM
One benefit is we could post pictures without using an app or uploading somewhere else first.

Father Cody
08-11-2018, 12:16 PM
A negative is some images can contain malicious code so it’s best to let third parties handle that, and keep any unwanted shit off your server.

Br!an
08-11-2018, 12:17 PM

I believe I just did that 2 posts up.

Are you not allowed to upload an attachment?

What are the benefits to allowing members to upload attachments?
What are the drawbacks (I seem to recall discussing this with staff years ago, and can't recall the thoughts for/against)?

There may well be good reasons not to allow this or at least limit it.

I am not allowed attachments.

I can see that there is a potential for abuse.

Positives would be the ability to upload a picture, or document file, or etc., directly in the post instead of through the gallery.

Br!an
08-11-2018, 12:18 PM
A negative is some images can contain malicious code so it’s best to let third parties handle that, and keep any unwanted shit off your server.

He allows the image upload to the gallery. Is that handled differently or is that vulnerable to malicious code?

Father Cody
08-11-2018, 12:21 PM

He allows the image upload to the gallery. Is that handled differently or is that vulnerable to malicious code?

I’m checking for any info on that. Theoretically, yes, but it’s not unlikely vBulletin could have security measures in place to limit the chances of that happening.

Randall Flagg
08-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Good points/questions. I'd love to hear stroppy's (and other members) opinions pro and con.

Father Cody
08-11-2018, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately it looks like there are quite a few documented vulnerabilities in this version of vBulletin, attachment uploads included.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-8142/Vbulletin.html

I know this is bad news, RF, but you may really want to consider upgrading to the latest version of vBulletin.

stroppygoblin
08-11-2018, 12:51 PM
There is already a plan in place to upgrade the site. Unfortunately its not a simple 'flick the switch' and requires careful planning and documentation of the steps to ensure no element of the site is lost or broken. I have already put considerable time and effort into this task and its still nowhere near the level I need it to be before I can recommend it to be done to Jerome.

I would definitely hold off on this till the upgrade is complete.

Father Cody
08-11-2018, 01:05 PM
There is already a plan in place to upgrade the site. Unfortunately its not a simple 'flick the switch' and requires careful planning and documentation of the steps to ensure no element of the site is lost or broken. I have already put considerable time and effort into this task and its still nowhere near the level I need it to be before I can recommend it to be done to Jerome.

I would definitely hold off on this till the upgrade is complete.

Hopefully I didn’t come across the wrong way. I know how much planning and precision is required for a system upgrade, especially for a site with this much content and traffic. When I saw the list of exploits for this version, I thought it would be best to at least mention it.

Jon
08-11-2018, 08:05 PM
As long as the upgrade doesn't expose all of the sheep on sheep porn I have in the gallery I'm ok with it.

Father Cody
08-16-2018, 12:48 PM
FYI: something’s up with the site on mobile Safari.

I’d post a screenshot but it seems Tapatalk is also acting up today. Can’t scroll past a certain point when writing a post nor can I upload images.

ke7285
08-16-2018, 02:59 PM
When I’m logging into this wedsite via a Ipad or IPhone I have notice in red letters on search that the “website is not secure”

Randall Flagg
08-16-2018, 03:05 PM
When I’m logging into this wedsite via a Ipad or IPhone I have notice in red letters on search that the “website is not secure”
At this time we are not running vBulletin software that is http(S) .
The site is "secure" so you have to accept the warning and come to the site.

FYI, many of the major companies that experienced security breaches have a HTTPS URL . Hackers gained confidential info in other ways.

Merlin1958
08-16-2018, 03:14 PM

I’d post a screenshot but it seems Tapatalk is also acting up today. Can’t scroll past a certain point when writing a post nor can I upload images.

Actually, when I first logged in today something was different. New font size, Jerome? Seems a little lager today. Whatever it is its nice!!!

stroppygoblin
08-16-2018, 03:23 PM

Actually, when I first logged in today something was different. New font size, Jerome? Seems a little lager today. Whatever it is its nice!!!

I have been tweaking the GrayFolio - Black Style. Im trying to fix some of the long standing issues on this particular skin. No other skin should be affected.

Father Cody
08-16-2018, 03:46 PM
I have been tweaking the GrayFolio - Black Style.

Oh, that would be it then!

jhanic
08-16-2018, 04:20 PM

I have been tweaking the GrayFolio - Black Style. Im trying to fix some of the long standing issues on this particular skin. No other skin should be affected.

I noticed the difference. I also noticed that the times on each thread are red!!

John

Randall Flagg
08-16-2018, 04:22 PM
Maybe we should just shut off the Black Stealth skin

Merlin1958
08-16-2018, 04:41 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PuuuuuuuLeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzeeeeeee??????????????? lol

FWIW, I really like the new look!!!! Easier on us old farts!!! Great job, RF/Stroppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iwritecode
08-17-2018, 04:42 AM

http://www.soxhaps.com/tags/smilies/darth_vader_nooo_7675.JPG

stroppygoblin
08-17-2018, 08:11 AM
Actually Black Stealth can go for all I care - It's GRAYFOLIO BLACK that I'm working on :)

In all honesty there are really only 2 themes that are used by 99% of the members. Take 5 and GrayFolio Black. Take 5 is by far and away the most robust theme as it scales well across all devices (including mobile) and has had the most attention paid to it. GrayFolio Black is preferred by everyone else as it is considerably less garish 'bright' :evil: but it has some issues, some of which I have been attempting to fix (as it's my theme of choice). Going forward, I think I will change the plan and try to create an alternative theme to Take 5 but BASED on it. This should (in theory) mean that RF only needs to make a change in T5 for things like announcements or Donation widgets and it will automatically appear in the other theme. A positive way forward for all.

To this end I will create a new theme and try a few things out. If you notice it, I would advise not using it as it will most likely be broken for a lot of the time. At least this way I can experiment and not affect others. If I can get this right, we should be able to reduce the options to just these 2 themes and still leave everyone happy.

Randall Flagg
08-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Take 5 is my favorite, by a long shot.

mae
08-17-2018, 08:27 AM
Take 5 is my favorite, by a long shot.

Yeah I can't imagine using this forum with anything else. This mustardy color is burned into my mind now.

jhanic
08-17-2018, 10:05 AM
My favorite is the GrayFolio Black by far. It's easiest on my eyes.

John

Merlin1958
08-17-2018, 10:07 AM
My favorite is the GrayFolio Black by far. It's easiest on my eyes.

John

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Girlystevedave
08-22-2018, 11:31 AM
So, I don't remember the name of it, but is the default skin gone now? (The one with the white background).
I can make do either way, but I just need to figure out if I need to adjust to the Take 5 Dark. :lol:

Edit: Never mind. I just saw the thread about the new skin.

Br!an
08-24-2018, 02:07 PM
A couple of things...

My browser shows Notification:1▽

I don't seem to have any unopened messages. The notification won't go away. I'll try clearing my cache.

There's a new member "edward". He's showing as a guest instead of a member.

Randall Flagg
08-24-2018, 02:26 PM
We are trying to fix numerous problems caused by hacker exploitation of the site software, and or the server. It's a mess, but we are doing the best we can.

Jon
09-02-2018, 04:12 AM
Sigh...I prefer the GrayFolio Black as it doen't trigger my migraine aura very often. But the truth is I will likely always have them no matter what so I suspect it's bot a huge deal

Also... there is the saying " Once you go GrayFolio Black. you never go back."

But I'll be ok. I just thank you folks for your work. I assure you it is appreciated.

stroppygoblin
09-02-2018, 04:19 AM
Sigh...I prefer the GrayFolio Black as it doen't trigger my migraine aura very often. But the truth is I will likely always have them no matter what so I suspect it's bot a huge deal

But I'll be ok. I just thank you folks for your work. I assure you it is appreciated.

Jon, What is it that Take 5 Dark doesnt have that Grayfolio Black does? Other than the header image, it's almost identical with regard to colors and layout.

Jon
09-08-2018, 04:32 PM
A bigger penis...duh!

Jon
09-08-2018, 07:36 PM

Jon, What is it that Take 5 Dark doesnt have that Grayfolio Black does? Other than the header image, it's almost identical with regard to colors and layout.

Yeah man. When I posted that I was comparing to the burning orange/ yellow of the default...sorry I wasn't more clear.

But I stand by my statement " Once you go GrayFolio Black. you never go back."...you know...larger penis and all.

Br!an
10-04-2018, 04:04 AM
YouTube videos won't play anymore. Is that us or them?

If you click the title on the embedded video it takes you to YouTube. Might as well just post the link rather than the video.

mae
10-04-2018, 04:47 AM
Have you tried different browsers? All videos load on the page for me. And you know I like me some YouTube.

Br!an
10-19-2018, 03:24 AM
YouTube videos won't play anymore. Is that us or them?

If you click the title on the embedded video it takes you to YouTube. Might as well just post the link rather than the video.

So after a couple of weeks of videos not playing on the site with Firefox, they started working again yesterday. (At least I noticed it yesterday.)

Jon
10-20-2018, 08:55 PM
yeah. Mozilla did an update and now all videos are back for me.

evg321
10-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Hello ,
I've just joined but can't seem to be able to use inbox or send PMs , what can I do? :)
Thanks

evg321
10-30-2018, 02:58 PM
the inbox page says something about permissions....

jsmcmullen92
10-30-2018, 04:22 PM
You have to make so many posts and RF will approve

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

evg321
10-31-2018, 01:29 PM
all good thanks

Jon
11-03-2018, 09:11 PM
the inbox page says something about permissions....

When accessing your inbox, you must be wearing blue jeans backwards like 80's rappers Khris Kross.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1921/45708117211_a9dc2ff1e5_m.jpg

Jerome has some strange fetishes. But we don't judge.

Bev Vincent
11-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Accidentally locked thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10359-Rate-The-Last-Movie-You-Saw.

Randall Flagg
11-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Thanks. Fixed it.

Jon
12-19-2018, 05:58 AM
Just FYI:

In the early morning hours of Monday 12-17-18, this site wouldn't let me post or reply to a PM. At this moment, it won't let med edit a post.

Randall Flagg
12-19-2018, 08:20 AM
Just FYI:

In the early morning hours of Monday 12-17-18, this site wouldn't let me post or reply to a PM. At this moment, it won't let med edit a post.
Try a different browser and see if it works.

Jon
12-24-2018, 04:53 AM
Seems fine now.

Randall Flagg
01-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Power failure at data center was cause of outage.

mae
03-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Looks like something happened with our embedable YouTube code, see for example the trailers thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10057-The-Movie-Trailer-thread/page69

mae
03-04-2019, 07:28 PM
Looks like it's fixed now. Was all in errors.

herbertwest
03-22-2019, 03:55 AM
Is it not possible to send emails anymore to someone from their profile page, if their inbox is full?

Randall Flagg
03-22-2019, 06:08 AM
Not sure. I'll try to figure out how to test.

herbertwest
03-22-2019, 07:13 AM
Actually, i noticed that it depends on profile.
Some persons may have been in their "privacy" settings in the account, and decided that not everyone can email them

kingfan2323
03-22-2019, 08:21 AM
Perhaps someone can help me with this?

Do you know how to block certain threads in the UNREAD POSTS section? I like to check that for new posts but want to block some that I do not/never will care about at all.

stroppygoblin
03-22-2019, 09:52 AM

Do you know how to block certain threads in the UNREAD POSTS section? I like to check that for new posts but want to block some that I do not/never will care about at all.

I think the best you can do is mark them as read. it's possible to do this for a whole forum/thread.

mae
03-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Yes, you can simply double-click the forum or sub-forum icon to mark all threads there as read. Or just ignore threads you're not really interested in. I do that all the time with most collecting threads.

kingfan2323
03-22-2019, 11:49 AM
Yes, you can simply double-click the forum or sub-forum icon to mark all threads there as read. Or just ignore threads you're not really interested in. I do that all the time with most collecting threads.

I think the best you can do is mark them as read. it's possible to do this for a whole forum/thread.

Thank you to both of you.

Bev Vincent
03-29-2019, 11:33 AM
Locked thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1320-The-eBay-BS-Game-Questionable-items-Stephen-King-signatures-sellers&p=1142560#post1142560

Ben Eads
04-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Thanks in advance!

I just purchased a book from a member of this site and I'm having trouble finding where to leave them positive iTrader feedback.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben

Br!an
04-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Thanks in advance!

I just purchased a book from a member of this site and I'm having trouble finding where to leave them positive iTrader feedback.

Thanks!

Ben

You can go to any one of their posts and click on the number by Feedback Score in their sidebar profile. For instance, your feedback score is 4. I can click on the 4 and leave you feedback.

You can also go to their main profile and click on the Feedback Score tab.

Ben Eads
04-13-2019, 05:27 PM
Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

Ben

You can go to any one of their posts and click on the number by Feedback Score in their sidebar profile. For instance, your feedback score is 4. I can click on the 4 and leave you feedback.

You can also go to their main profile and click on the Feedback Score tab.

Thanks, Br!an! It worked out great. =)

TnTzDad
04-16-2019, 05:00 AM
For about two weeks not I'm not receiving emails that I have DM's. I've made no changes to my settings here or in Hotmail. Any suggestions?

Randall Flagg
04-16-2019, 05:45 AM
Click:
Settings
General Settings
Select Don't receive Email notification of new Private Message
Save change

Log out of site
Log back into site

Reverse the changes you made.

TnTzDad
04-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Didn't work.

Randall Flagg
04-17-2019, 08:39 AM
Didn't work.
PM me your email address so I can confirm it's correct.

Randall Flagg
04-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Also, are any other users experiencing this same issue?

Brian861
04-17-2019, 08:44 AM
Also, are any other users experiencing this same issue?

No problems here.

Tommy
04-22-2019, 09:58 AM
My sent items aren't showing up in my sent folder. I hope members are getting my responses...:panic:

Brian861
04-22-2019, 10:00 AM
My sent items aren't showing up in my sent folder. I hope members are getting my responses...:panic:

Hey, Tommy. You do have it set that your sent messages will go there, correct?

herbertwest
04-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Since a few days, the links to go to a direct message in a thread do not work.

I do not know if it is related, but the Chrome console mentions an error :
Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ||
In this file : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/clientscript/vbulletin_facebook.js?v=408

The issue seems to be the ASCII comment at the top, before the code.
Probably because that code is not commented, and therefore is tried to be executed

Randall Flagg
04-25-2019, 09:06 AM
You completely lost me on that. Can you describe it in layman's terms?

Br!an
04-25-2019, 01:14 PM

This jibberish - � - in the code is screwing things up.

herbertwest
04-27-2019, 11:01 AM

This jibberish - � - in the code is screwing things up.

It may be, although I am not sure.

herbertwest
04-27-2019, 11:04 AM
Regarding the problem :
- try accessing a message that is not at the top of a thread
- you'll see a flickering as if it's trying to bring you there, but end up back at the top.

In video, although it doesnt catch up the flickering :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yc590kgqv9upqz4/2019-04-27%20at%2021-02-28.mp4?dl=0

Am I the only user that 'experience that issue?

Br!an
04-27-2019, 12:13 PM
Am I the only user that 'experience that issue?

I use Firefox and don't have a problem.

Randall Flagg
04-27-2019, 12:42 PM
I tried to duplicate it using Chrome, but was unable to do so.

herbertwest
04-27-2019, 12:52 PM
OK so that explains why nobody was complaining about it...
Must be one of my Chrome plugins as in private browsing I do not encounter this issue..

edit : I found which was causing the issue

Jon
04-28-2019, 09:32 AM
I will check again but I would be crazy not to remember doing that....a possibility I must concede.

I can't tell you how much I am restraining myself from commenting on this.

Br!an
04-28-2019, 09:50 AM
The Promotional Items thread is locked.

Randall Flagg
04-28-2019, 09:51 AM
Unlocked now.

jsmcmullen92
05-24-2019, 07:12 AM
The Letterpress thread is locked

kingfan2323
06-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Whether I am on my desktop or Tapatalk why do subjects/forums get added to my Subscription section automatically? I just want the ones I manually add. HELP! ha! Thanks.

seeking: anything DT related #246
Night Shift Anniversary Ed. (blue skull cover)