PDA

View Full Version : Have many times have you read the series?

Letti
02-21-2008, 12:25 AM
How many times have you read the series?
Does it change? I mean I am rereading it and this is the third time and I must say it does... I guess I am changing as well and that's why I see a lot of things in a different way.
I have just finished Wizard and Glass and I must say there are so many things I changed my mind about...
Do you feel the same way?

If you are rereading right now, where are you in the series?

Erin
02-21-2008, 02:27 AM
I've actually only read the series the entire way through 3 times. *gasp!*

I was a bit of a "late-comer" to the series though as I didn't read the Gunslinger for the first time until after Wolves of the Calla was released.

Anyhoo, I'm badly in need of a re-read right now and I think I may pick it back up in about a month or two, once I get past my stack of books people have loaned me.

It's always fun to do a re-read. There is always some little tidbit you missed the first few go arounds or some new and interesting light you see a character or story-line in.

John Blaze
02-21-2008, 02:48 AM
I have read it about 7 times. The thing is, there's some books, like WaG that I have read about 10 times, so I voted between 6 and 10.

I was also a late comer to the series, because I waited until I'd read almost everything else SK before I started, and I finished SoS like 2 months before DT7 came out.
I consider this a good thing though, because I didn't have to wait forever between books, and one the plus side I got almost all the connections to the other books.

I didn't read little sisters until after I'd read all 7 books, but I had Everything's Eventual before I'd read them all. weird.

jayson
02-21-2008, 04:31 AM
put me in the over 10 times camp, between audio and physical re-reads. if my counting is not off, i've read the whole thing 12 times. the first three i read countless times waiting for W&G, and then one through four i read several more times waiting for Wolves to come out. having a lot of time at work to listen to audiobooks while i work [graphic design allows me to actually pay attention to the books while my hands and eyes do their thing on the computer] has accounted for a lot of the re-reads over the past three years. call me obsessed if you will, but once i start on the path of the beam, it's hard to get off.:rose:

ManOfWesternesse
02-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Three times for the full series.
Like others, I've read Books 1-3 a lot, say 10/12 or so? Book 4 at least 7/8 times, SoS 4 times.
Next re-read in a few months when my Sister returns the loan.

ATG
02-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Just about finished with my first time through.

Wuducynn
02-21-2008, 06:04 AM
I lost count sometime after 12.

ATG
02-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Wow. 12 times.
Huh.

Wuducynn
02-21-2008, 06:18 AM
No, more...I lost count after 12

Wuducynn
02-21-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm thinking 15 or 16.

jayson
02-21-2008, 06:29 AM
not surprised to find you in the higher numbers Matthew. we're like Eddie, only our junk is the books.

Brice
02-21-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm thinking 15 or 16.

:D

I'd guess I've read the series about that many times myself. Now the earlier books of course I've read more than that. Hell, I know I've read The Gunslinger at least a couple dozen times.

Letti
02-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Wow guys, you are incredible.
More than 10 times... that's something.

MonteGss
02-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Well, I voted 6-10 times but this is only counting since the series has been completed. I became a junkie when I was waiting for Wizard and Glass to come out. I had read Books 1-3 many times while I was waiting. So, I know there are some books that I've read more than ten times. If I include the two times I've listened to the audios, I would be around a dozen I guess. PROUD TO BE A DARK TOWER JUNKIE!

Brice
02-21-2008, 08:04 AM
If I include the two times I've listened to the audios, I would be around a dozen I guess.

No no no...it is time you learn audio books don't count as reading. It is listening to someone else read. :P

MonteGss
02-21-2008, 08:06 AM
:P

jayson
02-21-2008, 09:12 AM
i'm sure the blind community loves that statement brice ;)
of course, they can't see it...

Brice
02-21-2008, 09:18 AM
:rofl:

Yes, I'm sure they'd love it if they could read it.

But, in all fairness they can actually read too. There are braille books for them.

OT, but now I am wondering if there are braille SK books. :orely:

jayson
02-21-2008, 09:33 AM

But, in all fairness they can actually read too. There are braille books for them.

i could ask my mother-in-law who is blind. she tried The Gunslinger on audiobook but it wasn't for her.

Brice
02-21-2008, 09:35 AM

i could ask my mother-in-law who is blind. she tried The Gunslinger on audiobook but it wasn't for her.

I actually just found a copy of Needful Things on Amazon for $45.

Letti
02-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Now that I know how many of you have read the series more than 10 times I feel like a beginner.

Brice
02-21-2008, 09:44 AM
You can try to catch up. :dance:

Letti
02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
That's what I am doing whenever I can. :)

Brice
02-21-2008, 09:55 AM
:couple:

jayson
02-21-2008, 10:03 AM
something tells me you will be reading it over and over Letti.:thumbsup:

Armand St Pierre
02-21-2008, 10:08 AM
I know for a fact that when WotC was released I started the series anew for the 19th time....kinda stuck out.
better reading than coke as far as addictions go

MonteGss
02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah, coke vs DT.....no contest. :lol:

Wuducynn
02-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Both the drunk and snorted kinds.

Matt
02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Listening is reading people! :lol:

I put a low number because like most others, I have read the first 4 more times than I can count and the last three only 6 or 7

Brice
02-21-2008, 02:53 PM

Well, it's reading for the person you're listening to. :P

fernandito
02-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Once.

Girlystevedave
02-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I've only read the whole series once, but I have re-read I & IV a few times. I love reading I alot though. It has become almost poetic to me.

Brice
02-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Once.

Are you serious Feev?

fernandito
02-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Once.

Are you serious Feev?

Deadly serious. Although, if it's any consolation, I've reread The Gunslinger at least 6 times and Wizard & Glass twice. :)

Matt
02-21-2008, 03:17 PM

You're not much on oral are you Brice? :o

:lol:

Brice
Isn't it about time for a reread? :D

Girlystevedave
While I was finishing 7, I was reading 1 at home, and 4 at work. I was so desperate to make it last just a bit longer.

Brice
02-21-2008, 03:18 PM

You're not much on oral are you Brice? :o

:lol:

:rofl: Well, generally noone's reading then.

fernandito
02-21-2008, 03:20 PM

I plan to. I just need to replace Wolves of The Calla and The Dark Tower, since one was stolen and the other is in possession of my ex-gf, respectively.

Brice
02-21-2008, 03:22 PM

I plan to. I just need to replace Wolves of The Calla and The Dark Tower, since one was stolen and the other is in possession of my ex-gf, respectively.

Replace? I'd say it's time to reposses them. :shoot: It sucks that one was stolen though. :(

Letti
02-22-2008, 12:04 AM
While I was finishing 7, I was reading 1 at home, and 4 at work. I was so desperate to make it last just a bit longer.
That's interesting.
I can read more books at the same time, I mean one on the bus one at home one at work but I couldn't read more than one book of the series at the same time.

Girlystevedave
02-22-2008, 05:39 AM
Like I said, I was REALLY trying to prolong it for as long as I could. So, while I was reading about Roland and Susan in 4, Rolands's beginning of his journey in 1, I was saving 7 for the perfect moments at night in my bed. I was trying to savor it the best I could. I wanted to make sure the last line I read in the series wasn't wasted. I felt like I was going to be saying farewell to a loved one.:wub: :rose:

John Blaze
02-22-2008, 06:44 AM
girly, you really gave it a dignified ending.

blake316
02-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Once for me, read all seven in about four weeks, cant wait to start again

Storyslinger
02-22-2008, 07:01 AM
I've read it over ten times. I try to make it a point to read it atleast twice a year.

jayson
02-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Once for me, read all seven in about four weeks, cant wait to start again

welcome to junkie-hood

ATG
02-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Like I said, I was REALLY trying to prolong it for as long as I could. So, while I was reading about Roland and Susan in 4, Rolands's beginning of his journey in 1, I was saving 7 for the perfect moments at night in my bed. I was trying to savor it the best I could. I wanted to make sure the last line I read in the series wasn't wasted. I felt like I was going to be saying farewell to a loved one.:wub: :rose:

I am in exactly the same place.

BeDaN
09-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Just curious, how long have some of you who have re-read the series waited? It's been about 5 months for me. I've read Insomnia, Desperation, The Stand (To get a bit of DT in me after the series), and a few Koontz titles since then, and at the moment I'm reading "It". But now. . .man the series has just been stuck in my head. I'm just itching to read it again, but I really wanna read more of the other books that correspond to the series (I'm looking at you Eyes of the Dragon, Talisman, and Black House) so i have to wait through 4 more books! Grrrrrrrr damn you King and your wonderful story telling!

Also, I introduced my brother-in-law to the series yesterday, he's 120 pages into The Gunslinger and he's loving it. Finally someone in flesh and blood to talk with it about. My first conversion!

razz
09-02-2008, 04:24 PM
about...hmm....lets see.... 4 days?

Unfound One
09-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I read it for the first time last summer and then again in April, so like 10 months for me.
I didn't read all the tie-in books until after my re-read though.
:shrugs:

Ves'Ka Gan
09-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I waited awhile, got to book three and have been waiting to go on again until I get through some more non-DT reading (notice I didn't say non-King?) I did get through the first three much faster this time.

Tony_A
09-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I read DT when it came out and did a re-read this past summer. I'll probably not wait so long the next time through, but I told my sister the other day I'd lend her the first couple of books in the series since she hasn't read any SK in a looong time.

JQ The Gunslinger
09-02-2008, 06:07 PM
I finished the series this May. I still have about 15 King books left to read. And after im all done with those (thats about a year my friends) the first book im gonna re read is IT. So im gonn have to wait about 14 months. Wow

KaLikeAWheel
09-02-2008, 07:47 PM
I finished DT: VII and then immediately opened The Gunslinger and started all over. I've read the entire series twice more since then and am beginning to feel the itch to read it again. I think I may have an obsessive personality....maybe. :P

Donna

BeDaN
09-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I think I may have an obsessive personality....maybe. :P

Donna

When it comes to the Dark Tower. I'm with ya there. :)

ManOfWesternesse
09-03-2008, 01:29 AM
First full, 7-book, re-read I started about 3 months after I read DT7, far as I remember.

Brice
09-03-2008, 03:55 AM
Since finishing Dt VII a day or so before it's release I've been on a pretty much perpetual reread. Occasionally I take a break for a short time, but I am almost always at some point in the series.

Wuducynn
09-03-2008, 06:06 AM
Since finishing Dt VII a day or so before it's release I've been on a pretty much perpetual reread. Occasionally I take a break for a short time, but I am almost always at some point in the series.

Spoilers for DTVII

You're caught in a loop, Brice. Only by letting go of trying to reach the Dark Tower with Roland will you finally be at peace and possibly reach the Dark Tower.

Wuducynn
09-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Just curious, how long have some of you who have re-read the series waited?

About five months.

Brice
09-03-2008, 06:13 AM

Spoilers for DTVII

You're caught in a loop, Brice. Only by letting go of trying to reach the Dark Tower with Roland will you finally be at peace and possibly reach the Dark Tower.

Fuck it! Damnation never felt so good. :thumbsup:

Wuducynn
09-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Yeah.

Letti
09-03-2008, 12:29 PM
When I finished the Dark Tower I was rereading W&G so... in fact I didn't wait at all.

ManOfWesternesse
09-04-2008, 12:51 AM
When I finished the Dark Tower I was rereading W&G so... in fact I didn't wait at all.

:lol: - you started before you finished! Cool Letti!

Letti
09-04-2008, 12:56 AM

:lol: - you started before you finished! Cool Letti!

I know how to live. :D

cozener
09-04-2008, 07:28 AM
I haven't reread it yet. Its been 2 years since I finished it. I've never reread anything without at least a two year pause. I will say though that I'm starting to feel a slight itch to do it again. (something I hope will clear up with a little Gold Bond but if not I suppose I'll have to read it) I have picked up the books from time to time to skim through certain parts to verify something I might have been referring to when discussing the books on this forum. :)

The Lady of Shadows
09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
i said this before in the "what are you currently reading" thread (i think it was there). i read the gunslinger when it was first published. i reread each preceeding novel when the next one was published. during the loooong years between i reread the series up to that point. when the final book was published i bought it, reread all six, then read seven.

after finishing i think i waited about seven or so months before reading the series again. and i do a reread every year.

hello, my name is turtlesong and i am addicted to the dark tower.

NeedfulKings
09-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I think for me it was about a year and a half. During that time, my wife read the series for the first time and then we both reread it together.

There are very few books that I'll read twice. These 7 I will read thrice!!! :D

BeDaN
09-04-2008, 05:50 PM
and i do a reread every year.

Yea this will definitely be a series I will re-read my whole life about every year, I can see that already.

stone, rose, unfound door
09-05-2008, 04:47 AM
I had a lot of time to read all the DT related books while waiting for the three last ones, so I just started the series back right away when I was finished :)

RandoofGilead
09-23-2008, 10:58 AM
I drive an hour each way to work and back so I've been listening to the series. Once it finished and I listened to the last CD OVER AGAIN to catch the end...I started THE NEXT DAY!

What else am I going to do going to work and back? It is a boring ride! Plus I needed to go through it again.

I'm caught in that damn "Ka is a wheel" loop. I was so exhausted once it ended. I felt just like Roland but cursed more about it than he did. :pullhair:

I started thinking about how King gave us the option to stop (Roland was asked multiple times to stop his quest). I see the ending as a couple of different things but am not sure if this should be a separate thread, but here goes:

1. If we stopped when King gave us the option to, we would have enjoyed the journey where all ended as it did. BUT, being the stubborn, obsessed reader/gunslingers like we were, we were introduced to our own damnation which we now share with Roland!

2. Do you think King knew there would be complaining if the story ended the way it did before we stopped reading? Do you think he pulled a bit of a "Misery" twist to the end where if he stopped the story, readers would have complained "How could you end it this way...blah blah blah. You have to change it." Maybe he ended it this way to 'punish' those by ending it in the loop? He got the last laugh on his readers for not just enjoying the ride to the Tower. He was able to silence those that have nagged him throughout the years with prior stories by drawing them in to the end not satisfied with the original outcome and turned it upside down on them making things worse!? King IS the Crimson KING!!

Just a thought from my pyscho-babble. :panic:

Matt
09-23-2008, 11:25 AM
1. If we stopped when King gave us the option to, we would have enjoyed the journey where all ended as it did. BUT, being the stubborn, obsessed reader/gunslingers like we were, we were introduced to our own damnation which we now share with Roland

I think this is a really amazing observation. Because of our obsession as readers, we couldn't cry off either. So what did we get, no salvation whatsoever.

Very nice man, welcome to the site.

RandoofGilead
09-23-2008, 11:31 AM
1. If we stopped when King gave us the option to, we would have enjoyed the journey where all ended as it did. BUT, being the stubborn, obsessed reader/gunslingers like we were, we were introduced to our own damnation which we now share with Roland

I think this is a really amazing observation. Because of our obsession as readers, we couldn't cry off either. So what did we get, no salvation whatsoever.

Thanks Matt. That is how I took it anyway and I think this is why this series and this book is my favorite because I never dealt with an ending like that before and be able to make a comparsion like that at the same time. It is like he lulled us to sleep walk through to the end. Kind of like how the Tower called out to Roland. HE JUST COULDN'T STOP! All I can see is King's smirk of satisfaction to see another reader has been snagged by the wheel of Ka.

Letti
09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm gonna make the thread title a little bit more elaborate. Just a tiny bit, to have more posts here. ;)

I agree with Matt with all my heart. Amazing observation. I would quote it if ut wasn't such a big spoiler. :)
Welcome here.

RandoofGilead
09-23-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm gonna make the thread title a little bit more elaborate. Just a tiny bit, to have more posts here. ;)

I agree with Matt with all my heart. Amazing observation. I would quote it if ut wasn't such a big spoiler. :)
Welcome here.

I'm glad to see we are well met may it do ya. :cowboy:

Tank
12-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I find myself about once a year, ever since book 7 came out, re-reading the entire series. I've literally been in bed at night and finished one book and opened the next in the series and kept going. I think with the nature of the series and how it ends it's kind of fitting to re-read it like I do.

So, how often do you re-read the series and do you skip any books or parts of the books when you do?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-14-2008, 10:37 PM
There are too many books out there that I havent read yet to spend much more time rereading anymore. I used to when I was younger, but now I feel like I have too many books I want to get to.

Letti
12-14-2008, 11:35 PM
I am DT junkie so I don't remember when I was not rereading it (during the last years). It doesn't mean that I don't read anything else that's why my rereading is quite slow. Because I am reading 3 book or so at the same time and usually DT is one of them.

I could never ever skip any lines of the books.
Any books.

ManOfWesternesse
12-15-2008, 01:05 AM
I'v e re-read the full series twice after my DT7 read.
Of course all the earlier Books had already had their varying number of re-reads.
Will do anothere full re-read sometime in '09, and regularly every year or two thereafter.

Daghain
12-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Now that the series is complete, I reread it every couple of years. I recently got he books on CD and I'm listening to them on my way to/from work.

flaggwalkstheline
12-15-2008, 10:19 AM
I reread it about once a year

Tatts4Life
12-15-2008, 10:31 AM
I recently got he books on CD and I'm listening to them on my way to/from work.

I've been wanting to do this. It would have been great to have this year if we were going down to Georgia like we had planned.

Brice
12-15-2008, 11:13 AM
I've been on nearly a perpetual reread of the series since around the time it was finished. I lost count around seven or so times. That was awhile back. When the books came out I'd always reread before starting the next and would often pick it up and read portions kinda' like most christians read the bible. :lol: I believe I've read just The Gunslinger no less than 25 times. I gave up trying to count. I'll be reading it when they put me in a box. :D

Ryan
12-19-2008, 06:57 AM
I've read the series start to finish every year starting on my Birthday usually ending the series with whatever new book of SK came out that year for Christmas. So now I've read the entire series twice and now on a third. I think this makes the 10th read of the Gunslinger and still I find new nuances in the story. Currently on Book V (started it this morning)

Ryan
12-19-2008, 07:00 AM
I just noticed I've graduated from "Gunslingers Apprentice" to "Michael Jackson"
Having trouble however understanding if this is a promotion or demotion......
Perhaps the dancing banana will help... If only Michael could dance like this :nana:

Ryan
12-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Wait a minute.... now it's back to 'Gunslingers Apprentice' I'm confused :unsure:

Brice
12-19-2008, 08:58 AM
You are only Michael Jackson for one post. :lol:

MonteGss
12-19-2008, 10:32 AM
I also have many, many more books that I want to read. However, that does not stop me from returning to The Dark Tower. I do have the benefit of owning the series in audiobooks so the last two times I "read" it, it was in audio form. I have a long commute so I use that time to visit Mid-World when I can. Anyway, I will probably reread the series about once every year or two, whether it is listening or actually reading it. :D

Wilbur
07-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I felt like I was going to be saying farewell to a loved one.:wub: :rose:

This is the most beautiful and poetic description of finishing the series I have ever heard. Kudos to you girly:clap::rose::thumbsup::huglove:

Wilbur
07-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I find it interesting that no one has voted for 5 times. Or maybe that's just me. I recently finished rereading for the 8th time for myself and I'm currently on my 9th reading of the series total, reading it in bed to my wife who has never read the series. By the time I found The Gunslinger, I believe SK was putting the finishing touches on SoS, so there was never a gap for me to wait out. I reread once a year and take my time, so there's only about a couple month gap in the year that I'm not on a reread, and every time I find some nuance or phrase that I either missed or had forgotten, like the belt Roland's mother made for him in W&G.:)

Letti
07-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I find it interesting that no one has voted for 5 times. Or maybe that's just me. I recently finished rereading for the 8th time for myself and I'm currently on my 9th reading of the series total, reading it in bed to my wife who has never read the series. By the time I found The Gunslinger, I believe SK was putting the finishing touches on SoS, so there was never a gap for me to wait out. I reread once a year and take my time, so there's only about a couple month gap in the year that I'm not on a reread, and every time I find some nuance or phrase that I either missed or had forgotten, like the belt Roland's mother made for him in W&G.:)

9th reading? Impressive. :) I am really happy to have you here. You are a real DT junkie.

Disincarnate
07-03-2009, 01:26 AM
I recently got he books on CD and I'm listening to them on my way to/from work.

I really want to do this. I've only read it once so far :(

Wilbur
07-03-2009, 04:16 AM
I have a recording studio at my theater, and it just occured to me that I could get one of my musician friend's to read the books and put them on cd......that could be cool. Free DT cds:excited::shoot:

Wilbur
07-03-2009, 04:18 AM

9th reading? Impressive. :) I am really happy to have you here. You are a real DT junkie.

Thank you Letti. I'm glad I found this site, it's become my new addiction. I hardly even play World of Warcraft anymore, I'm too busy checking this page...:onfire:

Letti
07-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I have a recording studio at my theater, and it just occured to me that I could get one of my musician friend's to read the books and put them on cd......that could be cool. Free DT cds:excited::shoot:

Sounds really good but never forget the copyright. For my part I try to respect it as much as possible.

Thank you Letti. I'm glad I found this site, it's become my new addiction. I hardly even play World of Warcraft anymore, I'm too busy checking this page...:onfire:

DT.com beats World of Warcraft easily. ;)

Disincarnate
07-07-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm glad I found this site, it's become my new addiction. I hardly even play World of Warcraft anymore, I'm too busy checking this page...:onfire:

I second this! The addiction part AND the WoW part. I don't even go on my other message boards much anymore. This is by far my favorite board ever. DT + Awesome people = :wub:

Wilbur
07-08-2009, 04:44 AM

Sounds really good but never forget the copyright. For my part I try to respect it as much as possible.

I was thinking just for my own enjoyment. I had no intentions of selling it or trying to disrespect the copyright in any way. As an artist myself (musician and actor) I respect and adhere to copyright laws. (when they make sense, let's face it, some of them don't):panic:

DonCarlito
07-08-2009, 05:04 AM
I'm just finishing my 7th reading of the series, from start to finish. From time to time, I read one of them by itself. I just love reading Wizard and Glass, this book has so many little details that you don't see on your first reading. The 8th or 9th time, though... :)

turtlex
07-08-2009, 05:08 AM
DonC - Do you consider LSoE as part of your reading?

DonCarlito
07-08-2009, 05:14 AM
Good point :) I always forgot LSOE, and the worst thing is that I do have the story...

Well, I just have to finish the 300 pages left on the last book... and start all over again, this time by LSOE :)

John Blaze
07-08-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm curious, to you people who bought the series on cd or audio formats, was LSOE included?

reptiler
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I've read DT twice and now just started my third run through the desert...

Kidd Ikarus
07-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I've only read it once. I finished my first read through in April after 2 months pretty much non-stop except to go to work. But I've really been thinking about picking it up again soon. My girlfriend (who is an avid reader and I am so far from that) keeps asking me, 'Well why don't you read something else? There are a lot of good books out there.' Which I know is true, but right now, I only want to read the Tower again. I miss Roland and the Ka-Tet.

weezy
08-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Only ever read the series through once as all my copies are hard back which I imported from the US and I don't want to damage them, as I do like to carry a book in my bag with me when I'm out and about.

Was considering buying the series again in paperback but am not to sure if it's money wisely spent as I do already own them and my original copies cost me a fair amount of money although it was a few years back now. :pullhair:

Letti
08-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Only ever read the series through once as all my copies are hard back which I imported from the US and I don't want to damage them, as I do like to carry a book in my bag with me when I'm out and about.

Was considering buying the series again in paperback but am not to sure if it's money wisely spent as I do already own them and my original copies cost me a fair amount of money although it was a few years back now. :pullhair:

They're worth. Believe me I am not a Bill Gates either but for my part I spend on DT books with pleasure whenever I can. If you don't want to re-read the series because of this reason you should get some new paperback books sooner or later.
My two cents. :)

weezy
08-06-2009, 10:42 AM

They're worth. Believe me I am not a Bill Gates either but for my part I spend on DT books with pleasure whenever I can. If you don't want to re-read the series because of this reason you should get some new paperback books sooner or later.

Thanks for the advice, I will purchase a new set as soon as I can because being on this site is really making me want to reread the series and i know i'll want to read it almost non stop including when i'm at work.

ToWeR JunkiE
08-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I started this series when I was 11 yrs old and have read and re-read it at least a dozen times over the last 15 yrs or so!! When book V was FINALLY released I made myself re-read the first 4 again before I read it.
Right now I just started Wizard and Glass for the umpteenth time and yes.. I get something new out of it everytime I read them. I think it's where I am in my life at the time I read, different things call out to me, or there is a small piece I had forgotten about. I don't think I will ever tire of these books.
:rose:

Letti
08-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will purchase a new set as soon as I can because being on this site is really making me want to reread the series and i know i'll want to read it almost non stop including when i'm at work.

I am happy to hear it. :)
Believe me I am crazy about my DT books and I wish I could keep them behind glass all the time but I can't help.. I must put them into my handbag and re-read them.
For example I could buy this DT7 awhile ago
http://i43.tower.com/images/ss100924333/dark-tower-stephen-king-paperback-cover-art.jpg
it's my forever favourite edition and I had been dreaming of putting my hand on it for long when I saw it on the shelf in a bookstore. But it's the only paperback edition I have so... it travels with me wherever I go. Time and the journeys have left their marks in it already but still it's worth.
I can get into Roland's world anywhere.

I started this series when I was 11 yrs old and have read and re-read it at least a dozen times over the last 15 yrs or so!! When book V was FINALLY released I made myself re-read the first 4 again before I read it.
Right now I just started Wizard and Glass for the umpteenth time and yes.. I get something new out of it everytime I read them. I think it's where I am in my life at the time I read, different things call out to me, or there is a small piece I had forgotten about. I don't think I will ever tire of these books.
:rose:

Welcome! Your words are like rain to my thirsty heart. You are speaking from my soul.

Hammer
08-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Have you read the DT series for me i have never read any book more than once , but i started reading the series again once i downloaded it to my android phone and i must say i am enjoying it all over again it seems new even tho i know whats coming up

weird huh?

Jean
08-05-2011, 09:53 AM
it's not weird, it's wonderful

even though this thread will soon be merged with that one (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?2188-Have-many-times-have-you-read-the-series&highlight=times)

candy
08-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Hello, Just rediscovered this thread again thanks to Jean and Hammer

I have read the series around 7 times, and it never gets old. I am looking to start again - poss next year as I have a fair old reading list this year

alkanto
08-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I just finished my third time through, almost a year after my second re-read. This might become a yearly thing...who knows.

Merlin1958
08-07-2011, 04:58 PM
7 Times!!!!

Brainslinger
08-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm really not sure how many time's I've reread it. Thinking about it, not as much as it seems, maybe, as the story is often on my mind when I'm not reading it.

I think I've only read the last three books twice, but it could be three times. The other books more (perhaps four or five?) as we were waiting a while for the last three books to come out. (I was fortunate in starting the series after Wizard and Glass came out so didn't have the wait after The Waste Lands).

divemaster
08-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Full read throughs, twice. I've read the first 4 books three times I think, and Wizard and Glass, maybe 5 times (it's the best one). LSOE, twice.

Cixelsyd
08-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Read the whole series three times so far. currently on my fourth time via audiobook on my iphone. Decided to go audio this time after picking up the concordance and reading King's introduction in which he says he used the audiobooks to refresh his memory before completing the series. HE states that listening to them, and being forced ot slow down and absorb every word really changed the experience for him. You know what? He's right. I highly recommend listening to the series at least once. I'm just past Eddie defeating Blaine in Wizard and Glass and waiting and letting the suspense build through the mono ride without being able to speed through to get to the end like I usually do was pretty awesome.

getabettereraser
08-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I got tired of reading when i realized King was squinting his eyes in disapproval on the paperback covers. So i threw them all away.

Jean
08-12-2011, 12:20 AM
merged, as promised

blavigne
10-30-2011, 11:15 AM
I have read the series twice. I am planning a re-read but I am totally inexplicably obsessed with the audiobooks. I have been listening to them for 18 months, I am into the seventh book on my third go round now. I thought I would get tired of it but not so much. I am already getting antsy about the end so I can start over. Is that too weird or what?

I should explain that I travel a lot for work by car. I am in my car anywhere from three to six hours five days a week on average. I only listen in the car so it takes me about six months to complete the series that way. I started because I was tired of music radio (too much repeating) and talk radio, again too much repeating so here I am planning my fourth time with TDT go figure! I just thought I might want a new story but not yet........

ELazansky
10-30-2011, 11:24 AM
I've never finished it. I got through Wizard and Glass and got bored with it. I'm know I'm in the minority here, but the story just wasn't doing anything for me.