PDA

View Full Version : eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Randall Flagg
02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I read today in the San Francisco Chronicle that E-bay is changing its feedback policy-much the the chagrin of some sellers:

EBay also said that the new feedback policy, which no longer allows sellers to offer feedback on their customers, was in the interest of buyers. But sellers worry that it gives buyers too much power, for instance, to retaliate or scam them.
I always (of course I primarily buy, not sell), hated the murual feedback policy.
Why should I, after spending money at Sears, have to tell them they were great, before they tell me they appreciate my business.

Link to full article (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/20/BURSV55SP.DTL)

Daghain
02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I've never sold on eBay, but I've bought my fair share. I think it's great the sellers can't leave feedback - you won't get anymore of that retaliatory crap from bad sellers who give you bad feedback because you've (deservedly) given it to them.

John Blaze
02-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I've never sold on eBay, but I've bought my fair share. I think it's great the sellers can't leave feedback - you won't get anymore of that retaliatory crap from bad sellers who give you bad feedback because you've (deservedly) given it to them.

I totally agree with that. From the part of the seller, all they should leave feedback on you for is if you paid them quickly. Once you've paid them, they SHOULD be able to leave feedback, right? Then why do so many of them hold it over you until after you've left feedback on them?

Daghain
02-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Because they want BS happy feedback. :lol:

They hold your feedback in ransom until you give them good feedback, then they'll leave it for you.

Really, how many buyers suck on eBay, compared to sellers? I'm curious.

It's the sellers you have to watch out for, IMHO. And the fact that they can screw with your buying feedback just because they are jerks is unfair.

I'd like to think the majority of buyers will be honest with their opinions. Bad sellers will leave a trail of bad feedback wherever they go, to try and cover themselves. I really think this whole "ban" is perpetrated by marginal sellers who have marginal feedback. Good sellers have no problems.

Just MHO. :)

John Blaze
02-20-2008, 11:27 PM
one time i bought an owner's manual for one of my vehicles, that someone had scanned and put on cdrom. When i tried it on my computer, it didn't work, because it required adobe 7.0 at that time xp wasn't released yet and I still had my 98. when i told him it didn't work on mine, and if he could email me a v6 version, he got all shitty on me and said it wasn't his problem. So i left him bad feedback, and he turned around and left me bad feedback, saying I didn't read the listing right, and that he had explained it to me.

After a few days, he comes back, apologizes, and offers to send me a new cdrom with my version of adobe at no extra charge, if I withdrew my feedback. So we mutually withdrew feedback, and he never sent it.

Isn't this some kind of asshole?

Daghain
02-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Some kind? THE kind. :lol:

e_taylor
02-21-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm conflicted here, as I've done an equal amount of buying and selling. Generally if you do your research when buying you won't get screwed, but when you do it is a bummer that you can't leave negative without getting it yourself. However, that said, as a seller, I have experienced A LOT of useless buyers. The type that argue with you that the shipping costs stated in the listing are too high (I get this a lot, as Americans aren't used to Canada Post shipping rates), take a month to pay, and then demand a refund because they didn't read the description in the listing.

This change WILL help buyers over all, but it will hurt GOOD sellers, which in the end is where eBay makes their commission. I think if they were willing to invest more time and money into the eBay community itself, they would crack down on the crappy sellers AND the crappy buyers - creating the perfect e-capitalists utopia!

Randall Flagg
02-21-2008, 07:52 AM
I know there is an uproar in the e-bay selling community, but I think this change is a done deal. Slowly over time sellers will get used to it, and truely good sellers will consistently have good feedback. I know there are scammers who buy, but overall there were probably as many if not more crappy sellers as there were buyers, so things will shake out in the interest of the consumer-which is where it should be.

MonteGss
02-21-2008, 08:13 AM
I have to say that I absolutely hate it when I purchase something, pay immediately without hesitation and then have to wait until I actually get my item in the mail, leave feedback and then wait even longer to see him say that I was a great buyer and paid immediately. What a f*cking joke.

Wow, that was a long sentence but a good rant. :)

Matt
02-21-2008, 08:23 AM
When I first started buying on Ebay, sellers would leave feedback as soon as they were paid regardless of weather the buyer had done it yet at all.

I liked those times. When I sold, I always did the same

Calla_Wolf
02-21-2008, 11:28 AM
You'll notice, if you check out my feedback (Calla_Wolf) that I've just gained a retaliatory neg feedback - bought an "Olympus" battery from the US and it didn't work. Tried to communicate with the seller so filed a Paypal case - was STUNNED when I got my money back. As for the neg feedback - really couldn't care less.

Brice
02-21-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm glad to hear you got your money back Ceri. :)

tippy4
02-21-2008, 11:38 AM
As I am an ebay buyer AND seller, I can offer the following perspectives.

I know that it irritates some of you when a seller waits for the buyer to leave feedback, before he will leave it for them, but I have to admit, I will do the same if I do not know the buyer. It is the only leverage I have against the following....

There are some wacky buyers out there who will leave you negative feedback for really stupid reasons. I saw a seller who had received negative feedback because he used the free Priority Mail packaging as internal padding for his Parcel Post shipment. I mean come on! Is that any reason to negatively affect a sellers reputation?!?!

The second reason I will wait is because there are some buyers out there who will leave negative feedback without even letting the seller know they are unsatisfied with their purchase. You can't please all the people all the time, and there might be someone out there who feels you did not accurately describe your item, or feels that you charged too much to ship it. Whatever the case may be, you should always give the buyer a chance to fix things BEFORE you leave negative feedback.

Now as a buyer, I run into problems all the time (most are bad packaging related), but am unable to leave negative feedback in fear of retaliation. I have 100% positive feedback as a seller, and the only negative feedback I have is from a seller who got mad at me for leaving negative feedback for them.

So, as a BUYER, I am glad they are changing their policy. I can finally leave the negatives I need to (first giving the seller a chance to make things right) without fear.

As a SELLER, well, I don't see this affecting me....time will tell.

Daghain
02-21-2008, 12:42 PM
That's why I usually go in and read a few of the negatives when I'm thinking of buying from a seller I have never dealt with. If it's constantly stupid stuff that's not worth complaining about, I don't hold it against the seller.

Matt
02-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Same here, I also look at the ratio. If you have 1000 satisfied customers and two of them said you were an asshole...I figure it was them. :lol:

John Blaze
02-21-2008, 01:06 PM
yeah, that's what I do too. If they did get a negative, you can tell by reading it and the reply whose fault it was, most of the time.

I agree there are some stupid buyers out there, but on the whole I think the buyers are more honest than the sellers.

tippy4
02-21-2008, 01:51 PM
I hear what you guys are saying. If some a-hole gave me an unjustified negative, it would probably not hurt my reputation.

But, I am protective of my feedback as I have worked hard and long to get it to the level it is at.

Now, If I can just get another 1000 positive feedbacks without getting a negative, my score will go from 99.9% positive to 100% positive :lol:

John Blaze
02-21-2008, 01:56 PM
whoa, i don't buy that much.

but I do take care of mine, and it's still at 100%

Randall Flagg
02-21-2008, 02:00 PM
All of this will shake out when the policy is implemented. most potential bidders/buyers-if interested in the item will check the feedback comments to weed out the dirtbag comments.
This really is a well needed change, driven by the fact that Amazon connects buyers with sellers, collects a fee, but only the buyers provide feedback about the transaction.
Thanks to Amazon (in this instace only) for driving the business where it nedds to (IMO) be.

oy-the-brave
02-21-2008, 11:53 PM
I think I may be done with Ebay/Paypal, I am so tired of the crap with both, tonight I get home from work to find out I have won (and paid for by paypal) around 6,000.00 worth of computer equipment auctions. Which is interesting since the winners Ebay ID is not mine and the accounts are linked together so I don't even understand how the winner paid with my account. With all the shaky stuff (including trying to pay with my bank account which has been closed for 1 1/2 years) there should have been red flags all over the place. I am really looking forword to spending tons of time on the phone trying to fix this mess:pullhair:

John Blaze
02-22-2008, 12:54 AM
damn oy, that sounds shitty.

Calla_Wolf
02-22-2008, 11:06 AM
I think I may be done with Ebay/Paypal, I am so tired of the crap with both, tonight I get home from work to find out I have won (and paid for by paypal) around 6,000.00 worth of computer equipment auctions. Which is interesting since the winners Ebay ID is not mine and the accounts are linked together so I don't even understand how the winner paid with my account. With all the shaky stuff (including trying to pay with my bank account which has been closed for 1 1/2 years) there should have been red flags all over the place. I am really looking forword to spending tons of time on the phone trying to fix this mess:pullhair:

TRULY SHOCKING

oy-the-brave
02-22-2008, 12:29 PM
I am on hold right now with Paypal who has thus far been about as helpful as a rock, plus I have had to close my credit card account:arg:

Matt
02-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Oh man, that last one is a huge pain in the ass for sure. :(

Rahfa
02-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Damn, Oy, that is awful...my account got hacked once, but ebay was right on it to fix the issue....

As for the new policy, I buy and sell, though very rarely of late...I think the new policy is pretty lame, but honestly I never cared about retaliatory feedback or what...ironically, my one negative feedback is from a bad seller, who listed obviously fake items who i then didn't pay.

For the most part, when I sell items, I immediately leave feedback and when I buy I leave feedback. For non-payers, I always gave them a couple weeks and then left bad feedback.

The problem is people were consumed by a perfect feedback rating, when really who cares? If you have a few bad feedbacks, it should be obvious to sellers or buyers that it was just a bad experience, not neccesarily an actual reputation.

oy-the-brave
02-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Man this whole thing just keeps getting wierder, after several attempts I have done what I needed to with Paypal, of course they can tell me nothing about how this happened. I have started to look closely at the auctions I paid for and as I said I (my ebay ID) was not the winner. Two of the auctions were won by ebay ID (adiaz0_0) and the rest to another (skymind428xp2) upon checking on the feedback for (skymind428xp2) they have a bunch of feedback from www.flatsigned.com and signedbookaddict, I am not sure the connection but the fact that the account that won these auctions was a book collector is VERY wierd.

Any ideas?

Daghain
02-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Did you buy anything form a book collector who could have swiped your ID?

oy-the-brave
02-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Did you buy anything form a book collector who could have swiped your ID?

I don't see how, I am very careful with account info and know all about the different scams and I have not dealt with either of the sellers that I mentioned gave the feedback (flatsigned.com or signedbookaddict).

Daghain
02-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Hmmm. Then I'm stumped, too.

Fsmdr
02-22-2008, 07:42 PM
So sorry to hear that. My ebay account was hacked too a month ago. Someone used an automated program to list over 500 motor cycle parts in a matter of 1 hour with my ID!. Imagine my surprise when I saw what I had for sale!.

Luckily I was online at the time and trust and safety wiped out all the listings and reset all my account info.

Ari_Racing
02-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Oy. That sucks! :(

If you don't have a firewall install one RIGHT NOW. Check the programs that try to access to the internet from your computer and download Adaware (it's free) once you installed the firewall. Maybe you have a spyware that got your info.

oy-the-brave
02-23-2008, 06:04 PM
I really doubt it was anything on my end I am VERY careful online and know all the scams (btw once I got a hotmail email account, I have not received the scam/spam etc emails I used to get). I am waiting to get some sort of info from paypal, I got an email from each of the sellers that the auctions were won by (adiaz0_0) and both said the buyer was in Indonesia. I have heard nothing from the sellers that (skymind428xp2) won, I still find it weird that (skymind428xp2) has all the feedback from 2 booksellers, that I can't explain. I hope paypal lets me know what went on but I doubt they will.

Fsmdr
02-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Could it be that the 2 bidder's account was also hacked?. One of the bidder shows location MA and the other CA. The hacker could have changed the paypal shipping address to ship to out of country?.

Chooch
02-29-2008, 07:21 AM
I've done my fair share of both. I have no problem with the new policy, however, the only way a seller knows that 1-The buyer got the item 2-The buyer is happy with the item is by feedback. I have had a few expereinces where I have bought something only to get a totally different item (Bought a Canon Lens got a Takurma) and was not happy. Tried contacting seller and it just became a pissing contest with " I even left you positive feedback" well hey, I'm not buying feedback! On the other hand I've left buyers positive feedback and to this day have not heard boo from them. Lets face it, Ebay has that in place so you can get an idea of the person you are dealing with right. I would not buy from someone with a high number of negatives and I wont sell to people with the same. So what to do....

Cutter
02-29-2008, 08:52 AM
btw I am starting to sell off a lot of my collection on eBay. No Stephen King or Joe Hill items, though. I am keeping those, but I my collection is very large and I just need to whittle it down to just a few authors. I'll have stuff for sale probably for the next few months, as I'm just posting a few at a time.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgus.music

If this is bad timing because of the charity auctions, please delete this message, thanks!

Randall Flagg
02-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Don't worry about charity the auction-we will do fine. Your mention here of your auctions is cool with me.

Matt
02-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Same here, good to go.

Cutter
02-29-2008, 01:12 PM
cool, thanks!

Patrick
03-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Nice stuff, Geoff!

Mike, I hope that whole eBay mess gets sorted out soon. :(

tippy4
11-14-2008, 08:31 PM
OK, I need to vent.

Recently, ebay has created a couple of policies that are really pissing me off.

A couple months ago, ebay made a rule that as a book seller, if I charge a flat rate for shipping in the U.S., I have to offer a shipping option that costs $4 or less. I know media mail is usually pretty cheap, but postage is only part of the shipping cost. I buy tape and boxes and that adds to my cost. It should be my perogative to charge whatever I want as long as I list the cost in my auction, and the buyer can decide if my price is reasonable by either bidding or not.

Now, I just found out that come January 15th (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html), when I sell books on ebay, the only payment methods I can accept are PayPal, Credit/Debit Card, or ProPay. I am no longer allowed to accept checks or money orders. WTF is that!? Again, as a seller I should be able to take whatever payment methods I want. True, 98% of the people who make purchases from me use Paypal, but every now and then someone will mail me a money order. A couple weeks ago someone mailed me cash. Gee, I wonder if the fact that ebay owns Paypal has anything to do with their new rule?

Ebay is getting out of control. They are the only game in town, so I guess they figure they can do what they want.

OK, I am getting off of my soapbox.

Please discuss.

wizardsrainbow
11-14-2008, 08:42 PM
I will comment briefly.

Yes, I think a lot has to do with their owning PayPal, and it would not surprise me if PayPal fees are raised too. eBay is getting squeezed in this economy along with everyone else and it trying to maximize its revenue.

It is frustrating, but as you said, they are the only game in town. Their attitude is if you don't want to play, then see ya later.

tippy4
11-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Thank you for your comment Wiz.

Geesh, these new policies makes me feel like I am 16 years old again, and my dad is saying "This is my house and my rules...if you don't like it, you can always move out".

Randall Flagg
11-14-2008, 08:49 PM
The flippant answer would be to use dtbay:thumbsup: The (old) capitalist answer would be to use some other form of seller for your item (craigslist). The latest answer is that ebay will price themselves out of business, and then we as taxpayers will be asked to bail them out.
Now that I have attempted some humor, I have to say At first blush, their policies are a detriment to sellers, but intended to serve buyers. Of course ebay wants to corner the payment market and will continue to do so.

tippy4
11-14-2008, 08:56 PM
I have to say At first blush, their policies are a detriment to sellers, but intended to serve buyers. Of course ebay wants to corner the payment market and will continue to do so.

Yeah, and I am both a buyer and a seller, but these policies are crap.

Very frustrating.

Thank you for your comment RF

Fsmdr
11-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I am a buyer and a seller as well on Ebay. Although I buy 10 times more than I sell there. The new final value fee of 15% is really what kills me. Ebay used to be a venue to look for books at a more reasonable price that ABE or Alibris, but now seller will have to list their books higher to offset the new fees.

I read recently at a book collecting magazine an article about the new changes on Ebay. Ebay is basically modeling themselves to emulate Amazon. They also have contracts with various chains to list large amounts of listings to replace the sellers that is driven out by the new fees.

And yeah, I agree with Wiz that Paypal being owned by Ebay has a lot to do with their payment decision.

turtlex
11-15-2008, 02:49 AM
I didn't know about the no longer accepting checks or money orders.

I think that truly sucks. Though I do have a Paypal account, which I use for my cgc collecting, if I can pay with a check or money order - I prefer that. Then I don't have to deal with interest from the credit card and the seller doens't have to deal with Paypal fees.

Ugh.

e_taylor
11-15-2008, 06:45 AM
My two cents -

At the end of the day, they have us by the balls. ABE is an alternative, but they are more expensive and you need huge volume for it to be worth while (in comparison to eBay). Luckily the shipping hasn't dinged me, because I list on ebay.ca where those restrictions haven't come into effect, but they DO filter my auction to the bottom of search results on account of this.

I hadn't heard about the contracts to bring tons of listings in, but it seems like a bad idea. Whenever I see a listing from one of the big companies, I just avoid it. The descriptions are always lacking, and it takes weeks to get a response to a question, if you get one at all.

As a business model, I love it. As a consumer, I hate. But, given that I sell more than just books, I won't be going anywhere. :angry:

tippy4
11-15-2008, 07:13 AM
I didn't know about the no longer accepting checks or money orders.

I think that truly sucks. Though I do have a Paypal account, which I use for my cgc collecting, if I can pay with a check or money order - I prefer that. Then I don't have to deal with interest from the credit card and the seller doens't have to deal with Paypal fees.

Ugh.

There are some categories where you can accept checks and money orders, but books is not one of them, and that is mostly what I sell.

click here for details (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html)

Rahfa
11-15-2008, 07:27 AM
The positives of ebay's new rules: I do like the .15 cents fixed listing price...you can put something up for 30 days and let it sit there. ABE is $25 a month, and their fees are high on the back end, too.

The final value price on fixed price items isn't too bad...but if they raise paypal fees...well...

The real problem I have is that Ebay isn't a "fun" site anymore...it's not geared toward bidding and winning, it's just a storefront like overstock.com, with fixed prices for everything and while it has a more eclectic inventory, it's still an online store. So, as a seller, it's always easy to throw something up and see what happens, but as a buyer I don't have much interest in it. And for it to work the best, I think someone like me should be doing both.

As far as requiring Paypal, and a lower shipping rate, all that does is encourage higher listing prices...so that doesn't help anyone...not the seller, not the buyer.

After Christmas, I'm cancelling my Abe account and will probably try Alibris or something...and leave ebay for occassional things...

Bottom line...I agree with Tippy...it's lame.

e_taylor
11-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Another thing I dislike is the new search format. In times past, you'd search, click store inventory and worldwide too, and click show items. Now it takes two steps of reloading the page to get the same point. Yes, its nitpicky - but I still haven't adjusted!

tippy4
11-15-2008, 08:55 AM
The real problem I have is that Ebay isn't a "fun" site anymore...it's not geared toward bidding and winning, it's just a storefront like overstock.com, with fixed prices for everything and while it has a more eclectic inventory, it's still an online store.

As far as requiring Paypal, and a lower shipping rate, all that does is encourage higher listing prices...so that doesn't help anyone...not the seller, not the buyer.

I could not have said it better myself.

You know, I would not mind if they required Paypal as one of the payment options I must accept, but to tell me the options I can't accept is ridiculous!

Rahfa
11-15-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm sure the justification is by requiring Paypal, it raises the percentage of successful sales...

It might make sense for cheaper paperbacks or dvds or whatnot...but for a higher ticket sale like we're used to, the buyer is usualy legit and a money order/check would be fine...

I'll be honest, I actually require Paypal anyway, but that's MY choice...I don't want it required, but I guess we got no choice!

Scoogs
11-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I just discovered the shipping fee limit when I listed my DT7 S/L.
According to ebay I can only charge $4 for shipping AND insurance on a book I was listing at $500.
If we were talking about a paperback or basic hardcover, that would make sense, but a listing in Books > Antiquarian & Collectible being limited to $4 is completely ridiculous. USPS insurance alone costs $6.50 on a $500 book.

I admit that I like the 15 cent fixed price listings for books, but the fees for both ebay and paypal have gone up and they're now taking more than I consider their services to be worth.

I'm also not thrilled with the new feedback system. I had a buyer who never paid me over the summer and all I can do is file a non-paying bidder claim. He gets away clean and other sellers can only see his perfect feedback rating...

I have a few more oddball items left to sell off and then I'm finished with selling on ebay and will most likely be downgrading my paypal account .

I tried craigslist over the summer to sell my old TV and AC. It took a while, and I had quite a few potential buyers flake out, but they both eventually sold. It works, but it's more limited exposure to potential buyers. I don't think I would use it for books.

Rahfa
11-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah, the shipping limit is silly...again, it's focused on cheap paperbacks, not highend books...Abebooks is the same thing, and they should no better.

The problem is with books, there's nowhere else to sell...ABE has it's own problems, after all.

I think the best way around it is to just give free shipping and raise the price of the item to accomodate it. Sellers see the 'free' and I think it helps a little, and then you don't have to worry about it. I just sold a DT VII and I expect it to be $20 to ship insured/priority, but I factored it in as best I could when I accepted the bid, so...

tippy4
11-15-2008, 11:46 AM
I just discovered the shipping fee limit when I listed my DT7 S/L. According to ebay I can only charge $4 for shipping AND insurance on a book I was listing at $500. If we were talking about a paperback or basic hardcover, that would make sense, but a listing in Books > Antiquarian & Collectible being limited to $4 is completely ridiculous. USPS insurance alone costs $6.50 on a $500 book.

Agreed, I think that if the book is listed in the Antiquarian & Collectible section, it should not be subject to the same rules as regular old trade books.

I'm also not thrilled with the new feedback system. I had a buyer who never paid me over the summer and all I can do is file a non-paying bidder claim. He gets away clean and other sellers can only see his perfect feedback rating.

I have mixed feelings about the new feedback system. As a buyer, I like that I can leave negative feedback for a seller who rips me off or misrepresents their item, and not have to worry about retalitory feedback.

On the other hand, like you said, if I am the seller and the buyer never pays me, I don't get the chance to give him a "black-eye" with a negative feedback. Of course, there really is no point in giving a buyer a negative feedback anyhow, it does not stop them from buying. The whole point of the feedback system is to rate sellers in my opinion.

tippy4
11-15-2008, 11:50 AM
. I just sold a DT VII and I expect it to be $20 to ship insured/priority, but I factored it in as best I could when I accepted the bid, so...

Well shit, at that price you should gift wrap it for 'em! :P

jemaher
11-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I have never sold anything on ebay. It is a royal pain in the ass to win an auction and find out the seller Does not take paypal. Having been hosed out of several thousand dollars in various book deals when i was a neophyte on ebay, I welcome the buyer protection that paypal offers.

tippy4
11-15-2008, 01:16 PM
On an unrelated topic, here is the view from my front door 15 minutes ago.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/742/picture016xk0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Books are fire-proof....right?

:onfire:

jhanic
11-15-2008, 01:40 PM
THAT'S SCARY!!!

John

Room 217 Caretaker
11-15-2008, 01:47 PM
On an unrelated topic, here is the view from my front door 15 minutes ago.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/742/picture016xk0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Books are fire-proof....right?

:onfire:

Tip,

Send all your books by FedEX. I'll keep them safe.

On a serious note: If you and your family need a place to stay, my door is open. I know I'm on the East Coast but your always welcome.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

tippy4
11-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks Ralph!

That fire has now moved west of us, but unfortunately, there is another one to the east of us. We are about a mile from the hills, so that should keep us safe.

The Lady of Shadows
11-15-2008, 04:24 PM
i don't sell on ebay i only buy (my husband sold a bunch of star wars stuff years ago for someone but that's neither here nor there).

now i am very particular. and i tell everyone i'm bidding with - before i bid - that i expect insurance (i'll pay for it), and i expect the item to be well packaged (now i specify a box since that moron sent me the book in a f'n bubble wrap package). how can a seller cover my demand for insurance, which the usps has on a sliding scale based on the value of the item, the box, the packing stuff and the postage for $4 or less. i don't care how much it costs to ship the f'n thing to me - i'll pay what you have to pay. so long as you don't charge me a 25% fee (which one seller was doing, needless to say no bid from me).

but i only bid on auctions that accept paypal. except for a (now friend) seller who lives in israel. we use a credit card for those transactions.

tippy4
11-15-2008, 05:41 PM
now i am very particular. and i tell everyone i'm bidding with - before i bid - that i expect insurance (i'll pay for it), and i expect the item to be well packaged. how can a seller cover my demand for insurance, which the usps has on a sliding scale based on the value of the item, the box, the packing stuff and the postage for $4 or less? i don't care how much it costs to ship the f'n thing to me - i'll pay what you have to pay. so long as you don't charge me a 25% fee but i only bid on auctions that accept paypal.

I like you turtlesong...you tell it like it is.

I also tell sellers how I want my item packed, but I wait until after I have won the auction becuase i probably only win less than 25% of the stuff I bid on.

The Lady of Shadows
11-15-2008, 06:03 PM
now i am very particular. and i tell everyone i'm bidding with - before i bid - that i expect insurance (i'll pay for it), and i expect the item to be well packaged. how can a seller cover my demand for insurance, which the usps has on a sliding scale based on the value of the item, the box, the packing stuff and the postage for $4 or less? i don't care how much it costs to ship the f'n thing to me - i'll pay what you have to pay. so long as you don't charge me a 25% fee but i only bid on auctions that accept paypal.

I like you turtlesong...you tell it like it is.

I also tell sellers how I want my item packed, but I wait until after I have won the auction becuase i probably only win less than 25% of the stuff I bid on.

thanks. i don't believe in wasting time with bs or in lies. i'm too lazy for either if you want the gan's honest truth. :)

but what happens if you win the auction and they say no? then you're pretty much screwed because that's not a reason to back out of an auction. which is why i like to get all the details out of the way before i bid. and i've only had a few seller say no to the requests. and the no people were to insurance believe it or not. they said they would ship it priority and i wouldn't need insurance. :nope: no go for the turtle.

Sam
11-15-2008, 07:17 PM
I've dealy with selling things (and shipping them) before and always, ALWAYS sent them at least via priority, and if the item is worth $100 or is irreplaceable I ALWAYS add insurance even if it's at my own expense. I have sold only a few books through ebay, but always stated that insurance was a requirement and that insurance would be for the total selling price and no more. More often than not, I paid for part of the shipping costs myself.

jcf817
11-15-2008, 08:34 PM
I sold some books on eBay in October. The $4 thing threw me off at first...pissed me off, too....until I realized that's only if you want to set the cost. You do have other options, I just can't think of them at the moment.

I don't spend nearly as much time on eBay as I used to...but then I don't have as much disposable income as in the past...and my collection is about where I want it to be.

NeedfulKings
11-15-2008, 10:32 PM
I don't like the shipping cost restriction either. There's no option to cover your packing materials, other than raising the cost. And I like to start my auctions low, in hopes of snagging a few more bidders.

e_taylor
11-16-2008, 06:13 AM
I sold some books on eBay in October. The $4 thing threw me off at first...pissed me off, too....until I realized that's only if you want to set the cost. You do have other options, I just can't think of them at the moment.

I don't spend nearly as much time on eBay as I used to...but then I don't have as much disposable income as in the past...and my collection is about where I want it to be.

Yes, but that sends your items to the bottom of the search results lists.

tippy4
11-16-2008, 12:22 PM
A picture of the sky yesterday.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/749/picture019ex9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

What I woke up to this morning

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8159/picture022ht4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/1276/picture023uw9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It's raining ash!

herbertwest
11-16-2008, 01:01 PM
hope your safe

The Lady of Shadows
11-16-2008, 02:14 PM
my god tippy. :o

tippy4
11-16-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm good. Just a little smokey and ashey here at my place.

I really feel for those that have lost their homes.

Fsmdr
11-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Extremely ashy. My car was covered in ash this morning. The whole day, the air has been tinted orange from the dust.

I agree with Tippy, I's a shame for those who had lost their homes.

gsvec
11-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Tons of goodmind to both of you!!

NeedfulKings
11-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Yes. Goodmind is coming your way.

tippy4
11-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks all.

Things have cleared up quite a bit here.

ok, now my next ebay issue:

A while back, ebay started concealing the IDs of the underbidders.

Now it seems, even the winners IDs are concealed:

Case in point this Gunslinger 3rd ed. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280284708309&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:1123). It sold for less than $50, and yet I have no idea who bought it.

This sure makes the potential for schill bidding more likely.

jhanic
11-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Agreed. I always like to see who at least won the item, but with this new system, it's virtually impossible.

John

Scoogs
12-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this here.

Microsoft Live Search (http://www.live.com runs a cashback program that ebay participates in.

1. All you have to do is setup a free cashback account through live.com.

2. Then go to live.com(not the cashback site, ebay doesn't come up in the store list there) and search for something common, like "PS3"

3. Look at the sponsored links at the top of the results page and click on the ebay link.

4. Look at the top of the ebay page, see the green Microsoft Cashback banner? That tells you what the current amount is. As I write this it's 20% back, sometimes it can be as much as 30%.

5. Seach for something you want to buy. It MUST be a Buy It Now item and you MUST pay through Paypal.

6. Usually within a day or two of you "winning" the auction, you will get a message from ebay saying that you have qualified for cashback. This should provide you with a link so you can match your cashback account up to your ebay account.

7. Your pending cashback should be listed within a couple of days. Microsoft makes you wait 60 days until you can have the actual money sent to your paypal accound. (so you can return it right away and get the cashback money).

Ebay conditions are listed here:http://pages.ebay.com/cashbackoffer/terms.html?_trksid=m38

It actually works and there really aren't any catches. I used this a couple of months ago and got a full 30% back. It cleared yesterday and I have over $100 transfering to my Paypal account.

Seems like a good way to save some cash on King books (like say my Grant DT IV ARC on ebay ;) )

Scoogs
12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
I should also point out that this doesn't cost the seller anything. Microsoft must fund it using the advertising revenue generated through the search site.

e_taylor
12-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Bah! Not open to Canadians.

e_taylor
12-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Although, of quasi relation to this thread.

If you sign up for airmiles, and access your account online. There are a bunch of sites that let you earn airmiles if you access them through the airmiles site, ebay being one of them!

bast_imret
12-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Signing up. I'll give it a shot.

Daghain
12-02-2008, 08:48 PM
OMG, why did I NOT know about this!

You are my new favorite person. :wub:

wizardsrainbow
12-03-2008, 03:36 AM

Shit! Displaced again. It was nice while it lasted Dags.

Daghain
12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
:rofl:

Scoogs
12-03-2008, 06:11 PM

Shit! Displaced again. It was nice while it lasted Dags.

Ok Wiz, you can be favorite 5 months out of the year and on alternating holidays.

Scoogs
12-03-2008, 06:12 PM
BTW, I think ebay limits each user account to a total of 5 cashback purchases. I may be off on the number, just check ebay's terms and conditions page the I linked to in the original post.

Randall Flagg
12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
BTW, I think ebay limits each user account to a total of 5 cashback purchases.
Make the purchase count!:thumbsup:

herbertwest
12-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Sorry if you think this thread isnt at the right place, but i think that as there are a lot of collectors around here, they 'probably' know better than me about those issues

I've recently sold a book on ebay.
I am french, the buyer is in Switzerland. He requested me to send it at a specific adress, what i did. He didnt ask me to send it as "registered" or with any insurance.

It was about 20 days ago i think. He still didnt recieve anything (according to him) : i dont have any way to track what i've sent.
We exchange some emails, and i suggested him to make a "complaint" via paypal. (My ebay profile is 100%, he is a new ebayer, and it wsa the first time he used paypal). I mean, i dont want to refund it as i am not responsible of the loss by the post office...

so, what kind of things can decide paypal through the complaints?
in the complain form, we can exchange some emails (i've resumed what happened and our emails), i can choose to refund but i aint really keen of it as it isnt a really "cheap" sale (not that much but still), and we can decide to classify it as a complaint.

I suggested him to make a complaint to paypal, as i thought that he could may get his money back without me to pay it back or something...

With everything i have sent in the USA or Europe, it's the first time i got something lost through the mail... and i dont really know what to do...
Any advices? Any idea of what COULD happen next???

Rahfa
12-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah, if he makes a complaint through Paypal, I think you ARE going to pay it back, or at least Paypal will make you try. If you have money in your Paypal account, I would get it out ASAP.

The problem is you actually ARE responsible for getting it to him. If you use Paypal and don't use some sort of confirmed shipping method, you will lose that dispute.

Your feedback and his doesn't have anything to do with it. If you can't confirm delivery, then you can't really confirm you shipped it at all, so the buyer has a valid complaint.

How much money is at stake?

turtlex
12-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I thought it was on the buyer to request insurance?

Rahfa
12-07-2008, 10:23 AM
It is NOT on the buyer...credit card sales are pretty cut and dry...if, as the seller, you cannot prove the buyer actually recivied the package, then it's over. You lose.

Insurance where it's damaged is different...then you can say "Hey, you got it, it's not my problem. I told you buy insurance."

But if it never shows up that's totally the seller's responsibility. It's unwinnable as a credit card dispute. They will say "provide the tracking number? Oh, you don't have one? That's easy then. We're taking your money and we're refunding the buyer."

turtlex
12-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Rahfa - Yes, that makes sense. The insurance is incase of damage.

herbertwest
12-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah, if he makes a complaint through Paypal, I think you ARE going to pay it back, or at least Paypal will make you try. If you have money in your Paypal account, I would get it out ASAP.
I already have transfered my money on my bank account...
But since the complaint, my paypal account shows "- amount" (so it looks like that the plan is that i will be paying it...)

The problem is you actually ARE responsible for getting it to him. If you use Paypal and don't use some sort of confirmed shipping method, you will lose that dispute.
I've sent quite a few things the same day, and unfortunately i think i bined the receipt ticket as the others were recieved.

Your feedback and his doesn't have anything to do with it. If you can't confirm delivery, then you can't really confirm you shipped it at all, so the buyer has a valid complaint.
Well, so i am definitely "stupid". The buyer was kind of thinking he lost the money and the book... and i was nice enough to suggest him to make a "complaint" through paypal.

How much money is at stake?
Only 52€, but still annoying...

It is NOT on the buyer...credit card sales are pretty cut and dry...if, as the seller, you cannot prove the buyer actually recivied the package, then it's over. You lose.

Insurance where it's damaged is different...then you can say "Hey, you got it, it's not my problem. I told you buy insurance."

But if it never shows up that's totally the seller's responsibility. It's unwinnable as a credit card dispute. They will say "provide the tracking number? Oh, you don't have one? That's easy then. We're taking your money and we're refunding the buyer."
Being nice : get fucked... :arg:

And the buyer appreciate that i am nice. for instance, in the complaint he really says that he dont have anything against me, not at all, that i always have been corteous & answered his questions about first purchase on ebay...
i guess is pointless and that i got fucked anyway :beat:

turtlex
12-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Seems like, in this day and age, everything of any value should be sent with tracking.

gsvec
12-07-2008, 12:44 PM
And there's still always the possibility that it'll show up! I had a guy in TX mail me an SK postcard that I never received. Quite amicably, he refunded me my money (all $2 or whatever) when it'd been over 2 months. Lo and behold 13 months later I received the postcard!! I gave him back my refund and we both laughed about it!

Rahfa
12-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, I don't think you HAVE to pay it since they can't get the money if there isn't any in your Paypal account (in which Paypal will refund your customer)...I just don't think you could use Paypal again, because they'll take the money as soon as it shows up...

It's not really about being nice, or being fucked....bottom line is every shipper is responsible for getting the item to the buyer...if it was you on the other end, you'd be pretty annoyed if a seller just said "oh, you didn't get it? Tough break." So, if you get something with a tracking number and insurance, then you at least can get the money back from the shipping company.

So you''re not getting fucked by anybody on purpose...but it's pretty bad luck.

herbertwest
12-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I need Paypal, and although is not linked to my account it is linked to my visa...
So bottom line : i guess i'll have to pay, or... finding a compromise with the buyer.

And yeah i guess i would have been the buyer i would have been upset too... but i think i would have been more upset about me for not choosing recorded delivery...
It is really the first time that the post office fucks up.. guess i'll get a lesson from that, and at least it's not a huge amount of money...

thanks anyway for everyone's advice.

Randall Flagg
12-07-2008, 04:34 PM
The Shipper is the person (to my knowledge) who files an insurance claim for ALL shipments. Even if a buyer pays insurance-which can only be paid for at the point of shipping by the seller (shipper) the buyer has no "relationship" with the carrier.
As a seller on any transaction you can't "afford" to refund, it's usually a good idea to pay for insuarance AND SIGNATURE delivery confirmation. Without signature confirmation, a buyer can claim, and (will usually prevail), they never received the item. I.E. "It must have been stolen off my doorstep".
herbert, save the agony, learn from your lesson and give the person a refund.

Rahfa
12-07-2008, 04:59 PM
If an item shows up damaged, then the buyer (or shipper) can file a claim based on what it was insured for, with pix of damage, etc....but the shipping company (USPS, UPS, etc.) can deny it based on how it was packed (which I know from personal experience), in which case the recipient could claim failure to deliver and dispute it with Paypal or credit card companies...

A seller will never win a dispute where they can't at least prove delivery...not even debatable.

I agree, though, with a full refund if it doesn't show, and a lesson learned...

But, I would wait two more weeks before refunding...it's an international shipment and I don't think a full month shipping time is that unlikely...so I wouldn't definitley consider it lost yet, and it sounds like the buyer is honest and patient and would understand why you want to wait a little longer.

turtlex
12-08-2008, 04:06 AM
As a buyer, if an item is particularily cool - I always ask for both insurance and tracking. That's for my sake, because really - I don't want a refund, I want the cool thing!

Sorry, herbert, but I think you should probably do as RF suggests - "save the agony, learn from your lesson and give the person a refund".

carlosdetweiller
12-08-2008, 04:45 AM

Personally I would not voluntarily give a refund. Jeremy has done nothing wrong and has fulfilled his obligation as a seller. If PayPal wants to come in and reverse the charges then let them. That is out of Jeremy's control. But I certainly wouldn't admit to being at fault when I have done nothing wrong.

CRinVA
12-08-2008, 10:20 AM
I agree Bob, but if it were me I am not sure what I would do - I have a 100% positive feedback and would hate to see it damaged becaseu the good ole USPS screwed up and lost an item that I shipped.

When I seel anything for $50 or more I insist on the buyer paying for insurance! Just in case. When I buy anything of value I try to get it insured! Like Turlex I don't want a refund, I want what I legitimately won in auction. :-)

herbertwest
12-08-2008, 11:00 AM
i've checked on the paypal website and yeah i think i will loose anyway.
the buyer seems nice and i also am, so i will offer him that we both 'lose' on it, 50/50.
there are chances he will accept as he believe i am courteous, and 50/50 will allow him to buy the same book on another website (i will provide him the link) : so basically he will get the book for the same money... i will be losing half of it... such is life

Rahfa
12-08-2008, 12:00 PM

Personally I would not voluntarily give a refund. Jeremy has done nothing wrong and has fulfilled his obligation as a seller. If PayPal wants to come in and reverse the charges then let them. That is out of Jeremy's control. But I certainly wouldn't admit to being at fault when I have done nothing wrong.

Huh? He hasn't remotely fulfilled his obligation as a seller - he took money and hasn't yet provided the product.

It's totally not his fault; it's the shipping companies fault, but a seller takes money in good faith that he'll get the product to the person. If you're argument is about insurance not being paid for, that's the buyer's responsibility when it comes to damage, but the product still has to appear. Otherwise, why would anyone trust anyone?

This is a case of bad luck, nothing more, but as sellers we have to actually, you know, make sure we get the product to the customer.

I tell you what...anyone who wants can send me $500 and I'll send out a s/l Gunslinger. I'm not going to track it, and I'm not going insure it, but I feel reaaal good that it'll get to you...you know?

carlosdetweiller
12-08-2008, 12:35 PM

Huh? He hasn't remotely fulfilled his obligation as a seller - he took money and hasn't yet provided the product.

I guess my feelings are that we don't know that the buyer has received the book and is now claiming that he hasn't received it. Jeremy says that the buyer seems like a nice guy but what con artist doesn't come across that way? That is the reason they are able to "con."

To me, voluntarily sending this guy some money is an admission of guilt when there is no guilt on Jeremy's part. I would not send this guy anything. Let PayPal work it out. That is what the resolution center is for. They may investigate and find this guy has done the same thing before and rule in Jeremy's favor. Or, as someone else mentioned, the book may eventually be delivered.

I also wouldn't worry about an isolated instance of unwarranted negative feedback. Most eBay users are savvy enough ignore a single negative if the explanation makes sense.

It's a good topic and one we may all face at one time or another. Hopefully I will learn something that may help me later.

herbertwest
12-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Carlos : it crossed my mind that he might have recieved and wants the money too.. but i dont know for sure.

The buyer have accepted my offer : we both share the loss. 50-50 (is better than me losing it all by paypal, as cant prove have been posted)

he says that what matters is that he gets the book (it was supposed to be a gift, he told me that from the beginning) : so i'll see if the book on abebook disappear within a week or so. If not, i can suspect that he was a con. He get the benefit of my doubt, and i always want everything to get sorted : i am a 'fair guy'.
I usually gets a lot of review copies so i rarely pay (french Stephen King related) books. On top of that, i've recently sold quite a few extra, so for once this loss will be ok.... and i'll get a lesson from it

Rahfa
12-08-2008, 01:02 PM

I guess my feelings are that we don't know that the buyer has received the book and is now claiming that he hasn't received it. Jeremy says that the buyer seems like a nice guy but what con artist doesn't come across that way? That is the reason they are able to "con."

To me, voluntarily sending this guy some money is an admission of guilt when there is no guilt on Jeremy's part. I would not send this guy anything. Let PayPal work it out. That is what the resolution center is for. They may investigate and find this guy has done the same thing before and rule in Jeremy's favor. Or, as someone else mentioned, the book may eventually be delivered.

I also wouldn't worry about an isolated instance of unwarranted negative feedback. Most eBay users are savvy enough ignore a single negative if the explanation makes sense.

It's a good topic and one we may all face at one time or another. Hopefully I will learn something that may help me later.

Yeah, the question about whether it's a con or not is a different issue, and to let Paypal deal with it rahter than admit the blame is probably a good idea in a similar-type situation...I misunderstood what you meant...bottom line, though, that's why the seller needs to protect themselves.

I would still wait a couple weeks before sending anything...

herbertwest
12-08-2008, 01:07 PM
(the book is sold from abebooks)

I would also wait couple of weeks more... BUT complaints to paypal must be done within 20 days, AND next week i am going back to Scotland.
I'll send a check, and we both agreed that if the books turns up to me i'll send him and he'll send me the money, and he'll send me the money if he gets it...

Randall Flagg
12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I don't know why a seller (shipping within the U.S.), wouldn't pay the nominal amount to have a "Signature Required" shipment.

Rahfa
12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Yes, within the US, there's really no reason...but for int'l shipments it's just as important, because it's actually likelier that something can go wrong.

On Abebooks, they put a place to input the tracking number. In fact, when they process credit cards for sellers they make a point of saying "we take all the risk, etc." UNLESS you don't/can't provide some proof of shipment.

Then, of course, they only put an international shipping charge of $14 on packages, which is absurd (Tracked shipping from US to UK is at least $40), so then you have to request extra charges from the buyer and it's a whole big mess....pretty much another reason why I'm pulling my books off of Abe at the end of the year.

In this case, it's just a lesson learned...If you spend any time selling at all, you're pretty much guaranteed a lost package, a damaged package, and probably a package that gets returned to you for a mistake on the address so you have to pay shipping three times - to, from, and then back to the buyer again...

Fsmdr
12-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Yes, within the US, there's really no reason...but for int'l shipments it's just as important, because it's actually likelier that something can go wrong.

On Abebooks, they put a place to input the tracking number. In fact, when they process credit cards for sellers they make a point of saying "we take all the risk, etc." UNLESS you don't/can't provide some proof of shipment.

Then, of course, they only put an international shipping charge of $14 on packages, which is absurd (Tracked shipping from US to UK is at least $40), so then you have to request extra charges from the buyer and it's a whole big mess....pretty much another reason why I'm pulling my books off of Abe at the end of the year.

In this case, it's just a lesson learned...If you spend any time selling at all, you're pretty much guaranteed a lost package, a damaged package, and probably a package that gets returned to you for a mistake on the address so you have to pay shipping three times - to, from, and then back to the buyer again...

and then there's the guy who received the book you sold him and said...oops. I already own this book. can I return it?. :angry:

Brice
12-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Ummm...if they bought it and you represented the item with a full description and/or pictures I don't think I'd accept that. I'd just politely suggest that they resell it then.

Patrick
01-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Finally signed up for this. Hope it goes as well as you've billed it!

pickle
01-03-2009, 07:05 AM
grrr... not for the UK :(

Scoogs
01-03-2009, 07:21 AM

Doesn't look like ebay has any cashback at the moment, but they seem to offer it every few weeks.

Patrick
01-03-2009, 09:35 AM

Doesn't look like ebay has any cashback at the moment, but they seem to offer it every few weeks.
Thanks, no worries, one of these days I'll try it out.

herbertwest
01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
The item finally arrived, and the buyer was honnest enough to let me know that will send my check back.
Must have been stucked at the swiss customs for some reason... 1 month and half to send it to switzerland...

wizardsrainbow
01-05-2009, 12:28 PM
The item finally arrived, and the buyer was honnest enough to let me know that will send my check back.
Must have been stucked at the swiss customs for some reason... 1 month and half to send it to switzerland...

From personal experience, Swiss post must be run by Saint Bernard carriers through the mountains!

Cutter
01-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I thought it was on the buyer to request insurance?

Congrats Herbert on getting it cleared up!

And I thought I would comment, on "the buyer is to pay for insurance". This always ticks me off. If I get the book damaged, or I do not receive the book, then I am returning it (if damaged) or I am going through eBay to get my money back (if never arrived). I will not pay an extra fee for insurance. If the seller can't get the book to me, even if it's the post office's fault, it's not my problem. I didn't receive it so I'm getting my money back.

I always pay for insurance myself when I sell on eBay, to cover my own butt, not the buyer's butt. I do not charge the buyer and have always been perplexed at why that option is even supported by eBay. The seller gets screwed if it doesn't arrive, not the buyer.

Rahfa
01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Yes, the whole 'buyer pays insurance' is phony...it's the seller's job to get the item to the buyer, and if it gets lost it doesn't matter to the buyer.

If it gets damaged without insurance, that's a different argument...but, since Paypal charges can be disputed for cuase, it's still up to the seller to pack correctly and avoid that possibility.

Insurance is actually pretty useless in the case of damage anyway...the post office is the one's who determine whether the item is packed well enough, or if the damage merits being covered...so while it's good in event of loss, I'm not sure the post office would even grant a claim for a 'torn dustjacket' or whatever.

Glad this worked out and glad your buyer was honest! I told you to be patient! Haha....

turtlex
01-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Glad it worked out for you.

( what I had meant, that it was up the the buyer to request insurance )

Cutter
01-05-2009, 07:03 PM

I just wanted to comment on the insurance topic, not attack your statement. I just think eBay is screwy when it expect the buyer to pay for the insurence. :)

Fsmdr
01-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Another point regarding insurance, I've had a rather unhappy transaction in the past year with a respectable seller ( no, it's not Shibus, Hutch or Calla Wolf in case you are wondering). I paid for the item which was $400 including free shipping and assumed since the seller is established, he would take good care in packing and getting it to me in the most reliable method.

The item ended up shipped Media Mail and arrive with a hole through the packaging. Naturally, I emailed the seller that the item was damaged and requested that I ship it back for the refund. The seller balked and said that I never asked for insurance, which I was never offered in the 1st place.

Long story short, I filled a Paypal dispute and lost as Paypal protection does not cover damaged item, only if the item never arrived. Needless to say, now I ask for and purchase insurance on all valuable items.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-06-2009, 03:14 AM
When I buy an item, I don't mind paying for insurance.

It's my own peace of mind. I also ask the seller to apply all tracking.

If the seller fails to do either and ships, it gives them no where to go if something happens. You have the email record supporting your request.

Again, it's my own piece of mind. A lot of these items we are passing around through mail, UPS, etc. aren't exactly cheap or easy to find items. :)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

wizardsrainbow
01-06-2009, 03:33 AM
The insurance company that Bob, Stu Tinker (Bett's) and I use covers all books that you have bought and sold while still in transit, also when you are transporting your book(s) to a convention, display etc. So, I don't "buy" extra insurance in my transactions.

turtlex
01-06-2009, 03:57 AM

I just wanted to comment on the insurance topic, not attack your statement. I just think eBay is screwy when it expect the buyer to pay for the insurence. :)

Oh, I understand, no worries. :couple:

I agree 1000% on ebay!

Pasiuk57
01-06-2009, 04:13 AM
I know what you mean but I've been charging on all Ebay items I sell about $2.00 for insurance and make it mandatory, thus helping the buyer and seller out a bit. Many times it is over $2 but that's ok at least it is insured for the value. I've not had a complaint since I started doing that about 2 years ago. On a nice item, it's pretty inexpensive.

Rahfa
01-06-2009, 06:06 AM
The seller balked and said that I never asked for insurance, which I was never offered in the 1st place.

Long story short, I filled a Paypal dispute and lost as Paypal protection does not cover damaged item, only if the item never arrived. Needless to say, now I ask for and purchase insurance on all valuable items.

That would obviously annoy me a lot, as I'm sure it did you!

Not that this helps this time, but you should always do the dispute through your credit card company, and you claim the seller sent you an unusable item...you will 100 percent win...anything bought on a credit card can be returned and refunded through the dispute process.

You should mention the seller too...that's a pisspoor business practice and I would not want to buy from them.

Randall Flagg
01-15-2009, 10:10 AM
What is the best way to know when these cash-back offers occur?

at_one
01-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Be careful with this cashback program!!! I purchased a camera lens with a winning bid around $700 earlier this year that qualified for 15% cashback.....or so I thought. After 4 months and 15 emails through the Live.com help desk and a few to ebay, they finally told me, "sorry, your purchase does not qualify".....buncha bullshit if you ask me. I'm sure that it does work for some though.....

Scoogs
01-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Was it a bidding auction or fixed price? You said winning bid, so I'm assuming it wasn't Buy It Now. That's why it didn't qualify.
Cashback only works if you use the Buy It Now option and then pay through Paypal.

Randall, I just do a search on the live site every so often to see if it comes up. Usually if it's running I'll also see it mentioned on some other non-book forums that I frequent.

Patrick
01-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I have absolutely no idea what I did right, but this week I received this notice in my PayPal acccount:

Cash Back

Transfer to: PayPal
------
Total Amount: $14.40 USD
Fee: $0.00 USD
Total: $14.40 USD
------
Date: Jan. 12, 2009
Time: 22:53:47 PST

:)

at_one
01-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Was it a bidding auction or fixed price? You said winning bid, so I'm assuming it wasn't Buy It Now. That's why it didn't qualify.
Cashback only works if you use the Buy It Now option and then pay through Paypal.

You had me thinking there....I went back and checked the auction, it was a buy it now....even more mad :pullhair: Oh well, I still got a nice camera lens.

Daghain
01-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I have an eBay Mastercard, and recently got $50 in free eBay stuff. I purchased the entire Lemony Snickets series for $30 after the rebate.

SWEET!

wizardsrainbow
01-16-2009, 04:16 AM
Nice move Dags!

Darkmaniscoming
03-04-2009, 06:05 AM
OK, I need to vent.

Recently, ebay has created a couple of policies that are really pissing me off.

A couple months ago, ebay made a rule that as a book seller, if I charge a flat rate for shipping in the U.S., I have to offer a shipping option that costs $4 or less. I know media mail is usually pretty cheap, but postage is only part of the shipping cost. I buy tape and boxes and that adds to my cost. It should be my perogative to charge whatever I want as long as I list the cost in my auction, and the buyer can decide if my price is reasonable by either bidding or not.

Now, I just found out that come January 15th (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html), when I sell books on ebay, the only payment methods I can accept are PayPal, Credit/Debit Card, or ProPay. I am no longer allowed to accept checks or money orders. WTF is that!? Again, as a seller I should be able to take whatever payment methods I want. True, 98% of the people who make purchases from me use Paypal, but every now and then someone will mail me a money order. A couple weeks ago someone mailed me cash. Gee, I wonder if the fact that ebay owns Paypal has anything to do with their new rule?

Ebay is getting out of control. They are the only game in town, so I guess they figure they can do what they want.

OK, I am getting off of my soapbox.

Please discuss.

This was a really stupid thing we were all hit by....I'm Canadian but I list on the US site so it hit me even harder cause we dont have any cheap media mail. I box my items and only ship expedited w/ tracking which costs me $14.

I got around this by simply saying in black and white in my listings:
"Shipping is boxed, expedited, with tracking for $12.70 to all of North America despite that Ebay thinks I can ship this item for $4. - IMPOSSIBLE.
Please don't ask for cheap bubble mailer shipping on pristine first editions. If the cost of quality shipping does not suit you, please do not buy our items."

People looking for quality stuff dont seem to mind paying for quality shipping.
These are the customers we want anyway.

Brice
03-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Or you could just give a four dollar option NOONE would want:

$4.00 shipping option-We affix the stamps and write the addresses directly onto the dustjacket and then violently throw your book in a post office drop box. :lol:

turtlex
03-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Oh, I've bought from that guy !

Brice
03-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Oh, I've bought from that guy !

:wtf: Is someone already using my idea...like for real?

Sam
03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
I DID buy a book through ebay once that came to my house wrapped in a couple of sheets of notebook paper with the addresses and a stamp on it, so the answer is yeah. Someone has pretty much already done that.

Thankfully, the book was to be read and wasn't a collectible. I blasted his ass on the feedback though.

Brice
03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I got one once wrapped in wrapping paper turned inside out. :lol:

turtlex
03-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I think we should add a tag to eBay...

How's this : eBay... It Bring Out The Best In People!

( that was sarcasm folks )

Randall Flagg
03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I got one once wrapped in wrapping paper turned inside out. :lol:

This is a picture of the wrappings on a book I received. I did not open the wrapping-it looked just like this upon arrival. Needless to say the book was damaged.
FYI, the wrapping was a grocery bag.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/7551/bag.jpg

jhanic
03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
I hope the book wasn't too valuable.

John

Rahfa
03-04-2009, 04:20 PM
You can just not charge for shipping and save the stress and aggravation...add the cost to your starting bid...I've been doing it for years on any item of serious value. I love it. One price, no questions about how I'll ship or anything.

tippy4
03-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah...but that is exactly what ebay wants us to do so they can take a bigger slice of the pie.

Ebay makes more money if I sell an item for $100 with free shipping vs. $96 plus $4 shipping.

Sure, it is only pennies...but ebay takes a big enough slice already with listing fees, final value fees, and Paypal fees.

Rahfa
03-04-2009, 07:25 PM
100 percent true...though I'm not sure ebay looked at it that way...I think they got tired of hearing people's complaints about overpriced shipping.

Still, I am on ebay's side...they make it very easy to have as big or small storefront as you want - without rent, insurance, employees, etc...so you gotta take the good with the bad!

tippy4
03-05-2009, 08:46 PM
....without rent, insurance, employees, etc...so you gotta take the good with the bad!

Agreed...but I still like to whine about it. :P

Scoogs
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Cashback is active again. It's currently at 10%.

F1racefan
08-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I found this on another board, and just wanted to spread the word here.

Some might care, some not, but in any event it could be important to know. Check out this text, and accompanying instructions, that are making the rounds of the web right now. I've made the appropriate changes myself already:

Starting on August 31st, eBay is going to institute a new policy where photos you upload to any listing are put into a "catalog" of online images that any eBay user can then use for their own listings. The default setting for this is opt-in, which is a problem if you, like me, consider your photographs your property and want to control how they are used and by whom. A copyright notice is posted with a link to your user profile, but no additional information is given, and the link is quite small.
Since the default setting is opt-in, and eBay has not sent messages out about this, a lot of people are going to be caught flat-footed by this new policy.

Again, the default for this setting is YES, you have opted in. Meaning "Yes, I will allow eBay to make my photos available for anyone to use."

If you do not want eBay to make the photos you upload to all of your future auctions available to other users in a sort of catalog process, you need to go change your settings now, before August 31st. If you opt out after then, any photos you upload between the 31st and when you opt out will still be eligible for inclusion in their "catalog."

In order to opt out of this so-not-okay process, do the following. I've broken it down exhaustively. Hopefully your eBay pages look like mine.

1) Go to your eBay summary page ("My eBay").

2) On the left-hand side, there are three tabs that say "Activity," "Messages," and "Account." Hover over the "Account" tab.

3) A drop-down list will appear. Move your mouse down to "Site Preferences" and click.

4) You will be taken to a page with a list of site options for selling, shipping, and listing. About the sixth from the top is "Share your Photos." Click on the word "show" on the right hand side next to this option.

5) The box will expand, and if you are opted in, "yes" will appear. If you are opted out, "no" will appear. A small "edit" link will appear below the "show" link. If you want to change the settings, click "edit."

6) You will be taken to a new page with the following text: If you'd like to opt-out of this program, please do so by checking this box and clicking the "submit" button below.
(If you opt-out before August 31, 2009, none of your photos will be considered for inclusion in this program unless you opt back in at a later time. If you opt-out after August 31, 2009, any photos we select for inclusion in this program prior to your opt-out may continue to be used in the catalog)

7) If you want to opt out of the program, check the ticky box on the left-hand side next to the text, then go down and click the "submit" button.

8) You will go back to the settings screen you were just on, and there will be a green checkmark and a confirmation message. Go down to the "Share your Photos" option again and click "show." Your setting should now appear as "no."

I am sure that this will be a useful feature for some people, for some items, but the automatic opt-in is not okay with me at all, as I don't want my photographs used to illustrate someone else's auction for a different item, not for any reason whatsoever.

jhanic
08-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Great information! Thanks for posting!

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-10-2009, 12:27 PM
FYI: This only applies to ebay in the USA. The UK has different laws, and this would not be allowed.

Darkmaniscoming
08-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Hmmm I dont have that option on US or Canada site...

e_taylor
08-10-2009, 12:58 PM
FYI: This only applies to ebay in the USA. The UK has different laws, and this would not be allowed.

Presumably the same for Canada - at least I hope so as there was no such option listed for my account.

Darkmaniscoming
08-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I guess that's why those sellers were using signed "Stand" pictures for their unsigned book club....I can see where this is going.....item not as described...ask seller a question/get more vague answers......item not as described...paypal claim....item not as described....seller says he used "stock photo" by mistake.....buyer must eat return shipping cost.....they gotta be insane to allow this in collectibles of any kind....

Rusher
08-10-2009, 03:07 PM
I guess that's why those sellers were using signed "Stand" pictures for their unsigned book club....I can see where this is going.....item not as described...ask seller a question/get more vague answers......item not as described...paypal claim....item not as described....seller says he used "stock photo" by mistake.....buyer must eat return shipping cost.....they gotta be insane to allow this in collectibles of any kind....

I totally agree with you, at least now we know, and fortunately it will say if the photo was taken from someone else, thats something at least. I went into my account and found it, and I changed it.

I wonder who comes up with these stupid ideas...as if the stock photos weren't bad enough

Randall Flagg
08-13-2009, 08:16 AM
FYI, I merged the last 7 posts from another thread. I also merged the Ebay feedback, and Cash back threads.
The hope is that this will be the thread to discuss all issues concerning Ebay

The Ebay BS thread is still available to discuss questionable items, sellers, etc.

jhanic
08-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks, Jerome. I'd forgotten all about this thread.

John

Patrick
08-17-2009, 01:43 PM
I've yet to use eBay in a selling capacity, but as a buyer, it's good to be alerted that I should pay attention to 'stock photos' going forward.

Thanks for sharing this info.

tippy4
10-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Ebay is run by idiots I think. Bring back the days of Meg Whitman.

Here is one of their latest policy changes:

Optional buyer charges for shipping insurance removed: The insurance option creates the perception that buyers need to purchase shipping insurance as a protection on eBay, an experience they're not accustomed to on other ecommerce sites. In fact, sellers have always been responsible for their items until they arrive safely in their customers' hands. That's why shipping insurance will no longer be included in the purchase flow as either an option or requirement for buyers.

Of course you can choose to purchase insurance on shipments, but not ask buyers to buy insurance separately. In some categories like Antiques, Collectibles, and Jewelry, shipping insurance for sellers is essential. When appropriate, you can include the cost of insurance in your item or shipping price.

----------------------------------------------------------

First off, ebay is NOT an ecommerce site. You do not buy anything FROM ebay. Ebay acts as a FACILITATOR between buyers and sellers....nothing more.

As a seller, I always gave the OPTION to buy insurance. Now, to protect myself, I am going to have to charge EVERYONE for insurance.

Likewise, as a buyer I liked having the option to insure my items or not. Now, like I mentioned above, most sellers are going to work the cost of insurance into their shipping prices whether I want it or not. In most cases, I do not insure my purchases...now I am going to be paying for somehing I do not want.

Damn it this really pisses me off. :arg:

Patrick
10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
The decision-making over at eBay is so weird sometimes.

tippy4
10-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Weird is being nice. I prefer stupid.

Here is another problem with that policy.....

The only way you can include the insurance in the shipping fee is if you use the FLAT COST option (instead of CALCULATED COST), but with books, when using the FLAT COST option, you have to offer at least one shipping charge that is $4 or less (another brilliant policy that ebay recently established).

So, how can I include the insurance cost if I can only charge $4 for shipping?

Those geniuses over at ebay do not know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I would like some of the other members here who sell books on ebay (shibus and Hutch for instance) to weigh in with their thoughts.

Patrick
10-03-2009, 05:21 PM
As you know, I don't sell anything on eBay, but the whole thing they've done with shipping and insurance is ridiculous.

Coincidentally we'll be with friends later tonight, two of whom work for eBay (on the tech side). I'm going to ask them what the hell they are thinking over there. But in a nice way, of course.

tippy4
10-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Patrick, give them hell!

Rahfa
10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I think if you use the 'auction' listing, you can charge different shipping rates, right?

It's buy-it-now, where it only lets you charge $4.

I think, anyway...not really sure.

tippy4
10-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Nope.

If you are selling a book on auction with flat cost shipping, you have to offer a $4 or less shipping charge.

Sam
10-03-2009, 07:02 PM
I say put it in your listing that you have the $4 option but will not ship without the buyer paying additional for the required insurance. I got hit by some that sort of addendum by a seller that I missed when I made the purchase. His was to cover his cost on shipping materials (and had I known about that extra charge I wouldn't have bid as high as I did but that's another discussion), but the charge WAS in the very fine print on the listing.

Rahfa
10-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Yeah, but you were annoyed by the small print...so that's the problem with selling that way...

It does suck, especially if like Tippy said you can't do anything other than the $4 option....

Sam
10-03-2009, 07:37 PM
What I was saying was don't put it in the fine print. Tell them in the open what you're doing.

Patrick
10-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi guys. My friends who work at eBay (who work on the tech side, and not involved in these customer policy decisions) said that the bottom line is that eBay is trying to make things simple for the buyers.

Rusher
10-04-2009, 05:14 AM
I can understand making things simple for the buyers. Ebay is a pretty simple site to use, whether buying or selling. It was simple before when they were given the option to buy insurance or delivery confirmation or whatever, and the shipping charges were also in plain site. They either agreed to the amount and bought the item or they didn't. Simple as that.

It seems a little odd that they would try to make things more "simple" for the buyers when its the sellers that they are making all their money from. There should be a better balance there. When someone buys something...ebay doesn't make any money from the buyer..they make it all from the seller. The seller is the one who has the listing fees, the final value fees, and then the paypal fees for accepting the buyers money.

Ebay is always going to have plenty of buyers...but they are increasingly pissing off the sellers with these stupid rules and regulations. There are other sites out there that up and coming but just don't have the buyer traffic that ebay has yet, so in order to reach the widest audience, us sellers still have to rely on ebay but compared to other sites...the fees and rules are just getting way way out of hand.

They could easily make a simple dashboard on the top of the listing with the amount, the shipping amount and any other optional thing the buyer may or may not want. They should be a little more concerned about alienating sellers but unfortunately they are making millions an hour so they probably don't really care too much either way unless another site can really start to overtake their revenues.

Rahfa
10-04-2009, 05:41 AM
They just want big bulk sellers who are more of a real business...they don't care about actual auction sales anymore, or small one or two item sellers.

Randall Flagg
10-04-2009, 06:00 AM
I always wondered why buyers were responsible for insurance, since even if they pay, it is the shipper who has to deal with the USPS, or whatever carrier was used in the event of loss or damage. It was just an extra fee to the benefit of the seller.
Correct me if wrong, but I don't think e-bay made money off whatever was charged for insurance.
$500 insurance from the USPS is $6.70. A seller now eats that 1.34%

tippy4
10-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Correct me if wrong, but I don't think e-bay makes money off whatever is charged for insurance.

You are correct Jerome....sort of.

While EBAY does not make any money off of shipping and insurance fees.....PAYPAL does.

And since PAYPAL is owned by EBAY.....in the end they do.

It seems a little odd that they would try to make things more "simple" for the buyers when its the sellers that they are making all their money from. There should be a better balance there. When someone buys something...ebay doesn't make any money from the buyer..they make it all from the seller. The seller is the one who has the listing fees, the final value fees, and then the paypal fees for accepting the buyers money.

Well said!

I say put it in your listing that you have the $4 option but will not ship without the buyer paying additional for the required insurance.

While I generally dislike auctions that are overly-wordy, I think for now that is my best option. I just modified an auction that I have scheduled to start tomorrow with the following.....

I am not responsible for packages that are lost or damaged by the Post Office unless you purchase insurance. Ebay no longer offers the option of insurance (brilliant huh?). Ebay also forces book sellers to offer one shipping option that is $4 or less. So, if you are the winner of this auction, and want your book insured, DO NOT SELECT THE MEDIA MAIL OPTION. Insurance is included in the Parcel Post and Priority Mail options.

Rahfa
10-04-2009, 08:31 AM
I dunno...I'm not a fan of those kinds of auction listings...I know what you're trying to accomplish, but it doesn't sound all that professional...I would say the same thing, but lose the anti-ebay wording...

The reality is you ARE responsible...if a shipment shows up damaged, and they dispute it versus Paypal, you're going to lose whether the package was insured or not...maybe you could fool the person into thinking they're stuck and they wouldn't dispute it, but the truth is they're not. It's exactly like Jerome said -the insurance is more for the shipper, not the buyer. And really, that's how it should be - if I sell something, it's up to me to actually get it to the buyer in good order.

You know my policy - most shipments will end up being $20 for insured, priority shipping...just charge the $4, and factor the shipping in as one more cost...but it does suck, that's for sure...

Patrick
10-04-2009, 07:26 PM
It seems a little odd that they would try to make things more "simple" for the buyers when its the sellers that they are making all their money from. ...
I'm not defending eBay here, but I disagree with this statement. Whether you're buying a book on eBay, a car from a dealership, or a house down the street, the buyer is the one opening their wallet and therefore paying for everything. The seller decides what minimum sales price is acceptable given all the relevant costs of doing business and any other influencing factors.

On the eBay subject though, I was fine with the old days of choosing between offered shipping options at whatever cost the seller set, and choosing whether to buy insurance.

tippy4
10-05-2009, 05:54 AM
I would say the same thing, but lose the anti-ebay wording...

Ok, you are right...I was just steamed. I have re-worded it to say....

I am not responsible for packages that are lost or damaged by the Post Office unless you purchase insurance. Ebay no longer offers the option of insurance. Ebay also requires book sellers to offer one shipping option that is $4 or less. So, if you are the winner of this auction, and want your book insured, DO NOT SELECT THE MEDIA MAIL OPTION. Insurance is included in the Parcel Post and Priority Mail options.

Rahfa
10-05-2009, 06:39 AM
That's good, Tippy.

The sad truth is the reason for this is seller abuse...people were selling books for .99 cents, but then charging $3.99 for shipping (which ebay doesn't take a cut of)...or were just charging exorbitant rates like $12 for a $5 priority mail envelope.

Yes, sellers have the right to not bid on an item - but if nobody's bidding, then ebay isn't profiting...When ebay "fixed" that problem they simply should have made allowances for expensive items that really require insurance or extra shipping costs.

herbertwest
11-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I dont know if it would be in the USA as well, but I recieved an email from Paypal about new policies from january:

from what i understand, there is a limit of paying maximum 2,500€ per year ??? (to fight against fraud & financial risks)
OK, personnally i am far from spending that much, but that's low for some collectors.

Randall Flagg
11-28-2009, 06:21 AM
I merged and retitled the Paypal threads we had.

tippy4
01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
So last month I bought a copy of The Waste Lands on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260518469383), and it never arrived. I tried to contact the seller, and no response. I filed a claim with Paypal last week, and today I received the following email:

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favor.

We were able to recover $75.00 USD and this amount has been credited to
you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.

At first it says that Paypal was able to recover the $75, and that it will be credited to my account. The last paragraph seems to say it is not a 100% done deal.

I am confused.

The seller has been on ebay for 12 years, has a 100% positive rating, and 233 transactions. Very strange.

EDIT

A quick check of my Paypal account shows that the money has already been credited (the email said it could take up to five days, so I did not expect to see it today). I guess I am good.

Patrick
01-09-2010, 06:28 PM
That is odd given the seller's track record you mention. Glad you got your full refund though.

herbertwest
01-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Is the refund the same value that you paid?

frik
01-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Is the refund the same value that you paid?

Exactly what was going through my mind.

And if I understand correctly, the amount of the refund depends on the total of funds in the seller's account? So, no funds=no refund??

sk

tippy4
01-11-2010, 09:02 AM
I got a full refund.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I have to share my Paypal/Ebay experience with everyone. This one is hard to believe:

I won a book from a seller who described the book as

NEAR FINE (Near Pristine) book / no dust jacket. A clean, bright, tight copy with NO previous owner's names nor other owner markings to text. Very clean inside and out. Tips and ends sharp. Some minor signs of handling to top board. No smudges, no dog ears, no remainder mark. No dust jacket. Tight, perfectly square copy. Beautifully manufactured and produced.

When the book arrived it had a very large water ring on the top board from where someone used the book as a coaster. I asked for a refund and let me return. He said no. I started a dispute with Paypal. Here is the funny thing:

Time of Paypal dispute opened: 5:48 a.m. April 22nd 2010

Paypal Email Response: 5:58 a.m. April 22nd 2010

Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User
Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It
does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods
received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund.

I contacted the seller and told him he is really messing up by not giving a refund because I'm part of a very large collecting group. I won't post his Abebooks or Ebay contact just yet but sellers like this need to be posted as a warning to stay away from.

I just felt the water ring sort of killed the near fine, near pristine comment but Paypal says "Sorry....can't help with it."

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Tito_Villa
04-22-2010, 01:34 PM
I have to share my Paypal/Ebay experience with everyone. This one is hard to believe:

I won a book from a seller who described the book as

NEAR FINE (Near Pristine) book / no dust jacket. A clean, bright, tight copy with NO previous owner's names nor other owner markings to text. Very clean inside and out. Tips and ends sharp. Some minor signs of handling to top board. No smudges, no dog ears, no remainder mark. No dust jacket. Tight, perfectly square copy. Beautifully manufactured and produced.

When the book arrived it had a very large water ring on the top board from where someone used the book as a coaster. I asked for a refund and let me return. He said no. I started a dispute with Paypal. Here is the funny thing:

Time of Paypal dispute opened: 5:48 a.m. April 22nd 2010

Paypal Email Response: 5:58 a.m. April 22nd 2010

Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User
Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It
does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods
received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund.

I contacted the seller and told him he is really messing up by not giving a refund because I'm part of a very large collecting group. I won't post his Abebooks or Ebay contact just yet but sellers like this need to be posted as a warning to stay away from.

I just felt the water ring sort of killed the near fine, near pristine comment but Paypal says "Sorry....can't help with it."

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Im very disapointed with Ebays thoughts on this as clearly the seller has not described the book accurately giving you the right to return the book! It does worry me that if i had a similar problem Ebay would act the same way!

Hope it gets sorted for you Ralph!

carlosdetweiller
04-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Ralph, did you pay with a credit card through PayPal? If so, you may have recourse through your credit card issuer. I'd call their customer service number and discuss it with them. I hardly ever go through eBay/PayPal with my complaints. I go straight to VISA customer service. I've never had a dispute that wasn't upheld.

Cujo56
04-22-2010, 02:41 PM
This is odd. About a year ago I won a Fine Christine 1st on Ebay. When I got it, it was a BC edition and in not fine condition. I contacted the seller and he basically said too bad so, I disputed with paypal and Ebay. I returned the book to the sender with signature confirmation and got my money back from paypal.

Rahfa
04-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Ralph, did you pay with a credit card through PayPal? If so, you may have recourse through your credit card issuer. I'd call their customer service number and discuss it with them. I hardly ever go through eBay/PayPal with my complaints. I go straight to VISA customer service. I've never had a dispute that wasn't upheld.

Right...just deal with it through your CC company.

Basically, if you're a seller, you have to allow for returns.

Randall Flagg
04-22-2010, 03:24 PM
I used to only charge items that were ~$100 or more, but when using Paypal-as Bob mentioned, just charge it.
Credit card companies are on the users side, Paypal is owned by ebay and thus has a vested interest in the sellers side.

jhanic
04-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Quite a while ago, I had trouble with a seller (he didn't ship the item) and tried to contest it through Paypal. They said they could do nothing. I then contested it with my credit card company who credited it to me. A week later, I got a message from Paypal asking me why I didn't go through them. I let them know what I thought.

John

Patrick
04-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Note: As today's discussion is more about eBay/Paypal policies and practices, I have moved the relevant posts to this thread (from the eBay BS thread). Please continue. Thanks.

Patrick
04-22-2010, 04:50 PM
... I won't post his Abebooks or Ebay contact just yet but sellers like this need to be posted as a warning to stay away from.
Ralph, if you choose to identify the seller, here's the thread for it (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2482).

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope the seller does right by you and refunds your payment.

Fsmdr
04-22-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your problem, Ralph.

I've had a few dispute with sellers via Paypal before too. A year ago I had a rather large sum dispute. I purchased a S/L Skeleton Crew that came with water damage. I filed the claim under 'fradulent listing' as it was nowhere near as described. Thankfully I won the claim and all I had to do was proof of return delivery and my money was refunded.

I'm not really sure why some claims are rejected and some awarded. But in John's case, if the seller cannot show proof of delivery, that should have been a clear cut case in John's favor.

CurtSeattle
04-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I sent back UK Under the Dome limited which was supposed to be perfect and was not.

I bought it through EBay though and got the entire amount back and refunded to my PayPal account.

Seller said 3 day money back guarantee, so that is what saved me.

I'm pretty sure your CC company will let you contest it. Not sure if that will piss off PayPal or not though. Would suck if PayPal banned you. Doh!!

I also called EBAY and PayPal and spoke with a rep and said that I have zero negative feedback in over 10 years on EBay and I'm a collector and look at my purchases recently which helped since I have spent an ungodly amount lately, but I find that getting an actual person and saying that there are certain standards and NF is NF...in my case the seller said MINT and the Slipcase and Book of the UK Limited Under the Dome were damaged (go figure).

Let us know who the seller is and I will be happy to write them a letter telling them that they have lost my business forevermore, so I hope they are happy with the nominal amount they made off of you as that is the last blood money they will get from any of your friends. :(

CurtSeattle
04-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Can't you just charge a "handling" fee that covers the insurance and build it in?

Or use calculated and choose a larger size to offset the extra fee insurance fee?

I guess I need to double check this stuff. I'm planning on selling about 20 auctions of extra books soon and some have to be insured.

How does the insurance work by the way for you expert sellers?

I cover up to $999 for a Gunslinger 1st/1st...Buyer says he doesn't want it because it isn't VG+ (even if it was before shipping) because it got squished in shipping or something.

What do I get as the seller?

1. damaged book back and a "tough luck" letter?
2. book back and some compensation?
3. book goes away and auction value back?
4. book goes away and I get $999 insured value?

Thanks for your advice on this stuff. I'm going to be selling VG copy of a 1st/1st Gunslinger with a complete set of the original 5 Fantasy & Science Fiction mags that started the The Gunslinger included with it. Figure that will be cool and get some eyeballs on the auction, so want to make sure it's insured and not goofed up! :)

Patrick
04-22-2010, 06:22 PM
I'll let the knowledgeable ones answer your questions, but in regards to this:

... I'm going to be selling VG copy of a 1st/1st Gunslinger with a complete set of the original 5 Fantasy & Science Fiction mags that started the The Gunslinger included with it. Figure that will be cool and get some eyeballs on the auction...
You're right, that will be cool. However if I were a buyer who wanted a 1st Gunslinger but already owned the five F&F's, they would not add value to my bidding. And the same in the reverse situation as well. In my opinion, you would be unnecessarily narrowing down your pool of potential bidders to those who want both (i.e. own neither or are willing to go to the bother of later selling what they don't need). My unsolicited advice is to split these into two separate auctions.

idlewarnings
04-22-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm going through something similar right now. I won a 1st edition copy of The Stand and one of those handwritten Dreamcatcher promo ledgers from the same seller about 4 weeks ago. Got a prompt shipping notice. Three weeks later no books. Lost in the mail? *shrug* He's offering a full refund. I'm more upset about the not getting the books than I am being out the money. (I've been looking for that Dreamcatcher ledger forever.)

Does ebays Buyer Protection Plan mean he's out the books and the money? I feel bad about how things are turning out.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-23-2010, 02:21 AM
... I won't post his Abebooks or Ebay contact just yet but sellers like this need to be posted as a warning to stay away from.
Ralph, if you choose to identify the seller, here's the thread for it (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2482).

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope the seller does right by you and refunds your payment.

Thanks for the support everyone. Unfortunately it has taken a turn for the worse. I won't be posting his Ebay or Abebooks name here because of this:

Dear Sir

First, no return of book and no refund. My description of fine/pristine still stands. I've been selling books since 1989 in the California and have never run across an unprofessional buyer like you. You never asked enough questions about the condition before I shipped.

Second, I can tell you are a rookie in the book collecting world. Be careful what you post about me and my business. I will and can go after you for slander. If you want to see what a group of collectors is like my friend (this is the killer here dt.com members and why I'm not posting his info here) why don't you stroll over to www.thedarktower.org and check out the professional collectors there. Learn from them, and consider this to be a $50 lesson in buying etiquette.

R**S (I'm leaving his name off on purpose)

In another Email he mentioned he knows two of the higher end King collectors and recommended I get in touch with them to learn about book grading.

So, I'm just venting here my friends. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. He is right with one thing. I got a $50 lesson in buying. That is, I won't buy from him again. If he knew about my closet and what's in it :P he would have been very happy to return the book and offer a new one just to get future business. HIS LOSS.

Ralph Mulleins signing off of this issue and moving onto better things and better sellers (picking my coffee cup up from my new coaster)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
04-23-2010, 02:43 AM

Thanks for the support everyone. Unfortunately it has taken a turn for the worse. I won't be posting his Ebay or Abebooks name here because of this:

Dear Sir

First, no return of book and no refund. My description of fine/pristine still stands. I've been selling books since 1989 in the California and have never run across an unprofessional buyer like you. You never asked enough questions about the condition before I shipped.

Second, I can tell you are a rookie in the book collecting world. Be careful what you post about me and my business. I will and can go after you for slander. If you want to see what a group of collectors is like my friend (this is the killer here dt.com members and why I'm not posting his info here) why don't you stroll over to www.thedarktower.org and check out the professional collectors there. Learn from them, and consider this to be a $50 lesson in buying etiquette.

R**S (I'm leaving his name off on purpose)

In another Email he mentioned he knows two of the higher end King collectors and recommended I get in touch with them to learn about book grading.

So, I'm just venting here my friends. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. He is right with one thing. I got a $50 lesson in buying. That is, I won't buy from him again. If he knew about my closet and what's in it :P he would have been very happy to return the book and offer a new one just to get future business. HIS LOSS.

Ralph Mulleins signing off of this issue and moving onto better things and better sellers (picking my coffee cup up from my new coaster)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Well, that makes your reluctance to say who it is totally understandable.

It also makes them a total bitch and I hope they read this. :D

The Library Policeman
04-23-2010, 03:16 AM
You never asked enough questions about the condition before I shipped.

Unbelievable!:angry:

Cujo56
04-23-2010, 03:58 AM
"I will and can go after you for slander"
That only stands if your statements are false or untrue.

"My description of fine/pristine still stands"
"You never asked enough questions about the condition before I shipped"
Why would you have to? The book according to the seller is "Fine/pristine"

I would still contact ABEbooks.com. I'm sure they have higher standards than this seller.

This is copied from their website under "Seller Ratings"

Your Satisfaction Guaranteed
AbeBooks booksellers guarantee the condition of every book as it is described on our web site. You are eligible for a full refund of the purchase price, including shipping costs, if your return is a result of an error on the part of the bookseller.

I would probably link to this thread if you contacted ABEbooks. Since the seller isn't named, it reflects on them (badly) since he is a member/seller there. I think it also reflects on other sellers there. I for one would be a cautious about buying from that site now

Pay by Paypal or CC? contact them about a dispute.

This should not be a "$50 lesson in buying etiquette."

lophophoras
04-23-2010, 04:50 AM
That sux Ralph!!

Now I want to know who the seller was so that I don't do business with them.

:angry:

Lenny
04-23-2010, 04:55 AM
Ralph you are a better man than me. I would do what ever I could to put him out of business. First for lying to me about the book and taking my money. Second for being a smart ass. I would go to court if I had too, would cost me more money and would be stupid on my part but like I said you are a better man than me.

e_taylor
04-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Ralph -

What book was it? (Curiosity)

Room 217 Caretaker
04-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Ralph -

What book was it? (Curiosity)

WAG without jacket.

I will be able to put a mint jacket on it (i think I paid $5 for the WAG jacket) and get my money back.

I will explain ALL defects as I always do. The book is in nice shape though except the water ring on the black board making it GOOD. Not Fine/Pristine.

To answer a private message I received. No. I'm not posting info. The seller isn't on here but he knows people here. I value everyone here too much to possibly hurt the relationship between the seller and contacts here. If that makes sense.

:orely: It is 5 o'clock somewhere isn't it? Time for a drink.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

biomieg
04-23-2010, 07:07 AM
It is 5 o'clock somewhere isn't it? Time for a drink.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

As a matter of fact, it's 5 PM here right now, so... this one's on me! :)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-23-2010, 07:26 AM
:orely: It is 5 o'clock somewhere isn't it? Time for a drink.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

It's 4.30 pm here...close enough. Hic!

Randall Flagg
04-23-2010, 12:47 PM
If you are not willing to post the seller's name-partcucularly in the Book Dealers / eBay Members to Avoid like the Plague (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2482) thread, you increase the chance the seller will burn someone else.
As far as the "Sue for slander", I wouldn't sweat that at all-as they say in Texas: “all hat and no cattle.”

jemaher
04-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Ralph,

what you describes sounds like you have opened the wrong kind of dispute with paypal. If they are saying they cant help you because the item arrived, then you need to open a NEW claim as " item not as described".... I had a similar experience just this month with paypal involving a $600 signed book. I waited over a month had lots of dialogue thru ebay messages and finally got tired of the bullshit after 3 phony tracking numbers and filed a claim. The seller overnighted a bookturd with a forged signature but because they could prove delivery, they closed the item not received claim in the sellers favor. I turned around the same day and opened a BRAND NEW CLaim as "Item not as described" and paypal refunded my full amount. The only out of pocket expense was the return shipping with signature confirmation.

Give paypal another crack at this.... what have you got to lose.

jemaher
04-23-2010, 02:31 PM
If you are not willing to post the seller's name-partcucularly in the Book Dealers / eBay Members to Avoid like the Plague (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2482) thread, you increase the chance the seller will burn someone else.
As far as the "Sue for slander", I wouldn't sweat that at all-as they say in Texas: “all hat and no cattle.”

The truth is a complete and total Defense against libel and slander. They don't have to like what you say but they have no recourse if it is true!

Room 217 Caretaker
04-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Ahhhhh Haaaaa. Hold the phone here.

I received an Email from Paypal customer service AND Ebay customer service about the seller I'm in having issues with. Apparently they are looking into a couple things with this book seller from CA (a store in CA and a store in Hawaii)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Fsmdr
04-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Well, I am pretty confident that you will be able to recoup your money. Please let us know if there is any new development.

CurtSeattle
04-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Ralph, don't let him bully you. People who threaten legal action are usually doing it because they know they are WRONG.

I'm not saying "out" him if you don't want to, but I'd take a picture or two of the "water ring" and send that to PayPal and ABEBooks/EBay whoever you need to and in the e-mail copy/paste the NF/VG/G breakdown which which is pretty clear on certain things.

It's not like they said it was VG- and you are questioning that. They used INDUSTRY SPECIFIC terms that mean freakin pristine for the most part. A giant water stain is clearly an "item not as described" as suggested above.

The fact that he says you should have asked more questions is admitting fault in my mind. With the specific distinction he provided in terms of grading you do not have to ask questions. He should have chosen a lesser grading and then it would have moved the burden of proof to you more likely. With that grading, I think the onus is him to provide any defects no matter how small and a water ring is a huge defect in anyone's mind...let alone a collector's.

Patrick
04-24-2010, 11:45 AM
You never asked enough questions about the condition before I shipped.

Unbelievable!:angry:

I agree. That excuse is utter bulls**t given the seller's grade and description.

I suppose it is a compliment to all of us in general that a seller would refer someone here to this very site to get an education. However if they were paying any attention whatsoever they might have realized that you are one of the referenced collectors - you use your real name for your screen name after all!

Rahfa
04-28-2010, 06:48 AM

Any reputable book dealer will refund your money with no questions asked - especially a $50 sale. I wouldn't refund shipping, probably, but I would never care about refunding the sale itself.

But, if they think YOU are trying to scam THEM, it can change things...you're NOT a novice collector, so he read you the wrong way for some reason.

If this is Roy at Bad Moon Books, I know from other stories that he can be snarky and defensive, but is also a good guy...he gets his hackles up kind of quick, especially if he's approached in a confrontational way. I've always had good dealings with him, though.

No matter who it is, I can't see the "slander" from a purchase dispute...

e_taylor
04-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Any reputable book dealer will refund your money with no questions asked - especially a $50 sale. I wouldn't refund shipping, probably, but I would never care about refunding the sale itself.

But, if they think YOU are trying to scam THEM, it can change things...you're NOT a novice collector, so he read you the wrong way for some reason.

If this is Roy at Bad Moon Books, I know from other stories that he can be snarky and defensive, but is also a good guy...he gets his hackles up kind of quick, especially if he's approached in a confrontational way. I've always had good dealings with him, though.

No matter who it is, I can't see the "slander" from a purchase dispute...

Its not Roy. It seems to be "Russel's Books".

Randall Flagg
04-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Great promo shot, but careless regard for books.

http://www.russellbooks.com/files/grandpapa.jpg

The Library Policeman
04-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Great promo shot, but careless regard for books.

http://www.russellbooks.com/files/grandpapa.jpg

Santa! :ninja:

jemaher
04-29-2010, 10:28 AM
wow, i dont feel so bad about my library now

Cujo56
04-29-2010, 02:26 PM
I think I see a copy of my high school yearbook in there!

herbertwest
07-10-2010, 03:55 AM
the french eBay dont show anymore the possibility to search international items...
So if you're looking something, there is nothing in France (but it exists in the USA for instance)... Shows NOTHING, and you cant bid, and therefore eBay loses money on fees..

It is so stupid!

biomieg
07-10-2010, 04:14 AM
I never use the Dutch eBay website to look for books from other countries - when I'm looking for US books I use the US eBay website and when I'm looking for UK books I use the UK eBay website. You can log in to all of them with the same account so I don't see the problem :)

jhanic
07-10-2010, 04:19 AM
I use the US website with the worldwide option selected. I don't know if I'm missing some things or not, though.

John

herbertwest
07-10-2010, 04:22 AM
I know... but if i go on the french website, i want to be able to look for other stuff.. i really think that it's stupid.
Before, when there wasnt anything in France, it was showing items available internationnally. That way you wouldnt miss a thing...

biomieg
07-10-2010, 07:49 AM
John and Jeremy, when browsing eBay from your domestic site (US or France) you will be able to see some but definitely not all international listings.

As far as I know you can only see the listings for which the seller payed an extra fee in order for it to show up all over the world. If I look for Stephen King books on the Dutch eBay website I will get some results from the UK but these are only a small portion of the actual listings that are on eBay.co.uk...

herbertwest
07-11-2010, 02:32 AM
I mainly collect french items... i still think that it's not being efficient for ebay

herbertwest
09-04-2010, 10:42 AM
is that me or the capcha of ebay (when trying to reply a message from a seller) is fucked up?
I am trying to answer someone since yesterday! it's truefly doing my head in!

biomieg
09-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I never have to fill in a captcha when replying to a seller.... is this only on the French eBay?

herbertwest
09-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Actually no. I also tried with ebay.com : no way to answer... :-/

herbertwest
09-05-2010, 09:01 AM
It worked today. no specific reason...

Randall Flagg
10-12-2010, 08:48 AM
I need some advice on a deadbeat buyer.
I sold a broken laptop two days ago. Today I get a message from the "buyer" saying:
Hi, I have developed a problem; I cannot make a payment until I get a problem resolved with a sold laptop that a guy who bought it filing a complaint. I sold him, shipped it, it was damaged and received more damage on the return. I will get this resolved asap and get yours paid.
Thanks, Richard
If he doesn't pay within 7 days, what is my best course of action?

turtlex
10-12-2010, 09:04 AM
RF - Did the sale ad say that payment was due within a certain number of days?

jhanic
10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
I don;t think it matters. His problems are his, not yours. If it were me, I'd void the sale and list it again.

John

Rahfa
10-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Well, you have to wait a certain number of days before starting an Ebay dispute resolution claim anyway...so if he pays in that timeframe, wonderful, and if he doesn't than just claim non-paying bidder and start again.

He might pay...you never know.

Randall Flagg
10-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Is 7 days the time frame before a resolution claim can be filed?

Fsmdr
10-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Is 7 days the time frame before a resolution claim can be filed?

It was. Now it is 4 days.

herbertwest
10-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Does anyone how to look for members in ebay without knowing exactly their pseudo?
By email it doesnt work if we dont have a 'recent' transaction with them: it doesnt say the pseudo

I know a part of the pseudo, but dont know it all, and apparently "*" doesnt work... any idea?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Advanced search - Members - Find a member - enter name or part name.

herbertwest
10-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Can you please show me a screenshot? I dont see that...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Can you please show me a screenshot? I dont see that...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/medium/Image16.jpg

herbertwest
10-22-2010, 12:44 PM
ok so nothing more than what i had.
This looks for the closest match to what you type.

But for instance, if i wanted to get your pseudo in which you would have MrRabbitTrick in it, but it wouldnt be the whole pseudo... i couldnt find it by typing : MrRabbitTrick

Do you get my point?
I guess that it's impossible :-(

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Yes, I think you have to be pretty close to the full name.

herbertwest
10-23-2010, 02:33 AM
:-/

herbertwest
10-27-2010, 02:10 AM
eBay Launches New Hub for Reporting Bad Buyers

http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2010/10/1287716716.html

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-27-2010, 06:23 AM
I used to sell things on ebay, but the fees are just way too much and ended up not being worth it. I now sell stuff on Craigslist and Etsy for my crochet stuff. With craigslist you dont have to deal with shipping or feedback, sure it has its disadvantages but I dont see myself every selling from ebay again

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-27-2010, 07:13 AM
List things on ebay at 0.99 and it's free. Then when you get some bids, cancel auction and sell offline. Cost zero.

Ebay will eventually catch you though. Then just open another account.

Fsmdr
11-11-2010, 09:45 PM
There is a promotion on ebay, that anything purchased on the day of 12th Nov, will receive double Ebay bucks. So instead of 2%, you will receive 4% in Ebay bucks. Certain categories are excluded, but books are good.:)

Not great but at least something....