PDA

View Full Version : Forum Themes. ...and it was all yellow...

stroppygoblin
08-21-2018, 05:54 AM
For all those that may have just woken up to a shock of yellow when browsing the forum, chances are you have been reverted back to the sites standard 'Take 5 theme'

Where the hell is my Beloved 'GrayFolio-BLACK' theme I hear you cry? Well it's GONE. Switched off, never to be returned. As have all the other themes.

But all is not lost, a small, underpaid Goblin has been beavering away tirelessly night after night to bring you the all new and improved Take 5 Dark!

This new theme is entirely based on the most advanced theme we had (Take 5) but has been painstakingly modified to look and feel like the old GrayFolio black.

Please use this new theme and if you see any issues or discrepancies or stuff that just doesn't look right (difficult to see color combinations, etc) just let me know on this thread or PM me.

Randall Flagg
08-21-2018, 05:57 AM
Thanks stroppy. It looks great!

webstar1000
08-21-2018, 05:58 AM
Can you guys let me know how to do the change? I have a brown and almost beige. Not bad and always been this... but would like to try a different look:) Thanks!

stroppygoblin
08-21-2018, 06:00 AM
Can you guys let me know how to do the change? I have a brown and almost beige. Not bad and always been this... but would like to try a different look:) Thanks!

scroll all the way down to the bottom of any page and you will see a little box on the left, it will currently say 'Take 5 4.0.8'. Click this and select the alternative 'Take 5 Dark'

Randall Flagg
08-21-2018, 06:00 AM
At the bottom left of the page, there should be a drop-down box. Click on it and choose Take 5, or Take 5 Dark.

Iwritecode
08-21-2018, 06:01 AM
http://www.soxhaps.com/tags/smilies/darth_vader_nooo_7675.JPG

One of the things I loved about this place was the option to have an all black background. Now it's just all grey and white and looks like all the other message boards I'm on.

It's ok, I'll live with it, but the stealth black was 100X better.

Bev Vincent
08-21-2018, 06:06 AM
This is better than the other dark theme (although I always used to use the vB default theme until that was removed) -- the contrast, especially on button text -- is vastly better. I can't use the orange theme because I can't see the white text on the squash-colored background.

webstar1000
08-21-2018, 06:09 AM
WOW.. that is sick. LOL LOVE IT.

Randall Flagg
08-21-2018, 06:11 AM
As we prepare to upgrade our software it became apparent we couldn't support several skins, all but one of which were less than ideal. 95% of members were using either Take 5 or GrayFolio Black. Though not perfected yet, stroppy has been tweaking Take 5, and Take 5 Dark to be more mobile friendly. An example is the advance search box on Take 5 Dark no longer overlaps with the members collection link near the top of each page. It's a convoluted, complicated process; one that I literally couldn't do myself.

MikeDuke
08-21-2018, 06:12 AM
Looks pretty cool. Think I will leave it like this for a bit.

stroppygoblin
08-21-2018, 06:13 AM
http://www.soxhaps.com/tags/smilies/darth_vader_nooo_7675.JPG

One of the things I loved about this place was the option to have an all black background. Now it's just all grey and white and looks like all the other message boards I'm on.

It's ok, I'll live with it, but the stealth black was 100X better.

Black Stealth was like some Hitch Hikers's Guide Fan's tribute to the All Black space ship. A lot of it makes it hard to see any sort of highlighted content. It also doesn't size well on a mobile device.

'Every time you try and operate these weird black controls that are labeled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up in black to let you know you’ve done it.’"

This is better than the other dark theme (although I always used to use the vB default theme until that was removed) -- the contrast, especially on button text -- is vastly better. I can't use the orange theme because I can't see the white text on the squash-colored background.

Thanks Bev! :thumbsup:

mae
08-21-2018, 06:19 AM
Squash-colored forever! :excited:

Father Cody
08-21-2018, 06:20 AM
Looks great, Simon. It’s a much cleaner edition of the GrayFolio theme.

Ben Staad
08-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Pumpkin has always been my favorite here.

Ricky
08-21-2018, 07:32 AM
Was upset to see GrayFolio go away, then I was terrified to see the orange, but now I'm breathing a sigh of relief with the new Take 5 Dark. It's both new enough and old enough. :thumbsup:

lotuz
08-21-2018, 07:50 AM
Squash-colored forever! :excited:

Right on!

Anything else just feels funny to me

becca69
08-21-2018, 07:56 AM
I've always used the yellow - I'm a vegetarian - squash for the win!

WeDealInLead
08-21-2018, 08:21 AM
Ditto. I didn't even know there were options.

jhanic
08-21-2018, 08:31 AM
I vastly prefer the Take 5 Dark.

John

Merlin1958
08-21-2018, 08:59 AM
I vastly prefer the Take 5 Dark.

John

:clap::clap::clap:

DanHocker
08-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Take 5 Dark looks really nice. I think I was using the VB Default style before.

bdwyer19
08-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Thanks Simon! Was not loving the yellow. Take 5 Dark is much better!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-21-2018, 09:28 AM

Me too. The blue matched my eyes!

Randall Flagg
08-21-2018, 09:47 AM

Are you sure you don't mean:

Me too. The bluebloodshot matched my eyes!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-21-2018, 10:17 AM

Are you sure you don't mean:

Me too. The bluebloodshot matched my eyes!

Not any more. I took them out and cleaned them.

Heather19
08-21-2018, 03:22 PM
I've always used the yellow/orange as well. I'll try the new one for a bit to see if I can get used to it. Are you going to keep the original yellow around with the future updates or discontinue it?

Randall Flagg
08-21-2018, 04:24 PM
I've always used the yellow/orange as well. I'll try the new one for a bit to see if I can get used to it. Are you going to keep the original yellow around with the future updates or discontinue it?

The butternut squash color is my vision of how the site should look. It is the default skin, and will be here until I'm gone.

Room 217 Caretaker
08-21-2018, 04:41 PM

The butternut squash color is my vision of how the site should look. It is the default skin, and will be here until I'm gone.

Thank you! The other hurts my eyes, not sure why. I even toned down the brightness but it didn't help. I'm staying with butternut squash (but secretly I call it pumpkin spice).

Mulleins

dnemec
08-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Thanks for having another option. I changed the eye-searing yellow a long time ago, and I can't go back!

Heather19
08-21-2018, 04:48 PM

Good news! It feels weird viewing the site any other way to me for some reason.

Thank you! The other hurts my eyes, not sure why. I even toned down the brightness but it didn't help. I'm staying with butternut squash (but secretly I call it pumpkin spice).

Mulleins

I agree. I was browsing the site for a bit with it earlier, and it was making my eyes go crazy.

jhanic
08-22-2018, 09:22 AM
I DO miss having the full color banner at the top of the page with the dark skin, though.

John

fernandito
08-22-2018, 10:09 AM
I DO miss having the full color banner at the top of the page with the dark skin, though.

John

Me too. I'll get used to this though.

Iwritecode
08-22-2018, 10:18 AM
That's actually one part that I do like. It was always weird having the banner colors not match the rest of the site.

Girlystevedave
08-22-2018, 11:33 AM
I can make do with this. :)

Randall Flagg
08-22-2018, 05:38 PM

John

I'm sure we could put the full color Kocurek banner above Take 5 dark, but it (IMO) would be too great a contrast. Particularly since Kocurek created the banner for us knowing the color of the background I had in mind.

Merlin1958
08-22-2018, 06:27 PM

John

I'm sure we could put the full color Kocurek banner above Take 5 dark, but it (IMO) would be too great a contrast. Particularly since Kocurek created the banner for us knowing the color of the background I had in mind.

Actually, J I've always used the "Grayfolio Black" in the past and it had the color banner and it looked fine. I'm not saying it needs to be done just and FYI is all.

It would be nice if it came back under this skin if it is not too much effort. The all B&W is a little distracting, but I'm sure we'll all eventually get used to it. It's strictly up to you & Simon and how involved it is to accomplish. Overall, I'm just thankful that you guys put in the work/effort to insure that the option for the B&W skin is still there for us "Old Folks"!!! lol I know you vastly prefer the orange skin and feel it's the one you envisioned for the site so, many thanks to you and Simon for thinking of us and going through the effort. Very considerate of you guys!!!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-22-2018, 10:46 PM
This site is called, The Dark Tower, so the dark theme suits the title.

Merlin1958
08-22-2018, 11:48 PM
This site is called, The Dark Tower, so the dark theme suits the title.

Good point. like I said, I'm cool with it and very thankful.

jsmcmullen92
08-23-2018, 06:38 AM
My thought is if we are going to color it (I love the color in the rose), only color 3 things. Make Blaine Pink, Jake and Roland in color, and the rose red. everything else can stay in the dark theme as if the world if failing. Really those are the only things that would have vibrant color in a dying world.

Girlystevedave
08-23-2018, 07:07 AM
I'm starting to get used to the theme. I feel like I'm watching an old black and white movie on AMC. I mean, back when AMC played black and white movies. :lol:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-24-2018, 01:54 PM
The colour title bar is now longer than the rest of the page.

Sort it!

Randall Flagg
08-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Via PC, Mac, iPhone, Android?

Please clarify before having another shot of rum.:crow burp:

jhanic
08-24-2018, 02:30 PM
It is on my laptop with Firefox.

John

Randall Flagg
08-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Screenshot please?

jhanic
08-24-2018, 02:54 PM
https://screenshots.firefox.com/QcxsDAXio9fY7HRE/www.thedarktower.org

John

Father Cody
08-24-2018, 02:55 PM
https://screenshots.firefox.com/QcxsDAXio9fY7HRE/www.thedarktower.org

John

That’s a browser cache thing. You have to clear your history/cache. Or hold down control, Shift, and “r”at the same time.

jhanic
08-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Nothing happens when I do that.

John

Randall Flagg
08-24-2018, 03:07 PM
Refresh and try again.
I changed the settings so that (hopefully) only Take 5, and Take 5 Dark are available.

Problems.
Working on a fix. It sucks, and I apologize.

Randall Flagg
08-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Joseph Here: The Banner being over sized on Grayfolio-Black has always been an issue that we have been aware of. We have tried some fixes with it, none seemed to stick and fix it, but in general as it was not an invasive or harmful bug it has been placed on the back burner. We are instead working on a "NEW" skin to replace Grayfolio-black (will look virtually identical but wont have the few bugs we know exist in the Grayfolio series of skins). The site being Quirky right now due to Data-mining hackers is making Firefox browsers unable to load the web pages correctly. Chrome appears to function fine for the moment being. For the Grayfolio series of skins, I would suggest you either swap over to the less buggy Standard Take 5 4.0.8 (our default pumpkin colored skin) or to the VB4 Default skin. Both of those skins are enabled and are the LEAST buggy and BEST performing skins (especially default for mobile platforms currently). Remaining on the Grayfolio series of skins (while it may be your visual preference) will not be supported bug wise in the immediate future as again we are moving toward a generally better and more mobile friendly version instead.

Randall Flagg
08-24-2018, 04:07 PM
Joseph Here: If anyone is having their web page come up completely utterly blank white, (happening on firefox ATM), please append "?styleid=8" (without the quotation marks) to the end of your URL to force the website to load in default skin mode. Obviously you cant see this post if the issue is affecting you so i have added this advice onto the MAIN PAGE www.thedarktower.org where even firefox still loads a white blank version of the main page currently. Somehow firefox is loading a NULL skin which has a NULL body unless you force it to load the default style first. not sure why this is happening but at least we have a short term solution until we can find out why it is happening.

stroppygoblin
08-28-2018, 02:07 AM
It's been bought to my attention that the last few tweaks I made to the Take-5 Dark skin have been lost when it was restored after last weeks issues. I will be fixing those shortly. In the meantime, If you are using the skin, please PM me any issues you have with the skin currently.

biomieg
08-28-2018, 04:22 AM
My issue is that the skin doesn't seem to 'stick' when I choose it :smile: almost every time I log in it defaults to the yellow one (without me clearing caches or whatever in between).

stroppygoblin
08-28-2018, 05:28 AM
My issue is that the skin doesn't seem to 'stick' when I choose it :smile: almost every time I log in it defaults to the yellow one (without me clearing caches or whatever in between).

Make sure you have set it as your default skin, rather than just picked it for the current session.
Go to Settings> My account - General Settings and scroll down to Forum Skin. - set the Take5 Dark as your default.

biomieg
08-28-2018, 06:34 AM
That makes sense :wtf: it's a bit confusing (to me at least) that one is able to choose a skin on any 'main' forum page but it is not automatically used as the standard setting.

Randall Flagg
08-28-2018, 08:00 AM
That makes sense :wtf: it's a bit confusing (to me at least) that one is able to choose a skin on any 'main' forum page but it is not automatically used as the standard setting.
That is because the Take 5 4.0.8 is the default skin. Once you go into your settings and make Take 5 Dark your own default, the issue should go away.

jsmcmullen92
10-31-2018, 11:35 AM
Hey Stroppy/RF,
I just noticed that there is a new announcement on the top of the forum. on the take5 dark it is almost lost in the background. is there a way to brighten these up so they dont get lost?

stroppygoblin
11-01-2018, 03:40 AM
Hey Stroppy/RF,
I just noticed that there is a new announcement on the top of the forum. on the take5 dark it is almost lost in the background. is there a way to brighten these up so they dont get lost?

Done.

jsmcmullen92
11-01-2018, 05:17 AM
Hey Stroppy/RF,

Done.

If you made a change, I dont think it populated (or if it did, I just didn't notice). I was thinking something bold like the dark grey of the banner or even pumpkin/red.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Image_62.jpg

stroppygoblin
11-01-2018, 05:22 AM
Thats because you have already acknowledged the announcement.(by clicking the 'X')
If you haven't then it looks like this:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/922/medium/Screenshot_2018-11-01_at_13_19_20.png

Bev Vincent
11-01-2018, 05:57 AM
Thats because you have already acknowledged the announcement.(by clicking the 'X')
If you haven't then it looks like this:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/922/medium/Screenshot_2018-11-01_at_13_19_20.png

I haven't seen that green announcement on Take Dark 5.

stroppygoblin
11-01-2018, 06:28 AM
It only became Green today Bev. Before that it was a brown colour. There is a big 'X" to the far right, that once you click removes the announcment text and just leaves it as the standard announcement.

herbertwest
11-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Probably a cache issue

jsmcmullen92
11-01-2018, 12:24 PM
It only became Green today Bev. Before that it was a brown colour. There is a big 'X" to the far right, that once you click removes the announcment text and just leaves it as the standard announcement.

I was more talking about the announcement (div class = announcement) for helping Betts not the notice. But I like the green :D

(I just saw there was a notice and an announcement for Betts hence the confusion)

Randall Flagg
11-01-2018, 12:50 PM

I was more talking about the announcement (div class = announcement) for helping Betts not the notice. But I like the green :D

(I just saw there was a notice and an announcement for Betts hence the confusion)
There is a Notice, and an Announcement. The Notice should be "Dismissible"