PDA

View Full Version : Susannah...anyone else find her character annoying?

Eldred Jonas
07-19-2018, 01:02 PM
I know it’s a brutal statement, I’ve just finished the Dark Tower books, I loved all of the characters....apart from Susannah, maybe it was the grind of Song of Susannah that did it? But yeh, I just couldn’t get on with her character, maybe in another world Mort would have finished her off.

Merlin1958
07-19-2018, 01:19 PM
I know it’s a brutal statement, I’ve just finished the Dark Tower books, I loved all of the characters....apart from Susannah, maybe it was the grind of Song of Susannah that did it? But yeh, I just couldn’t get on with her character, maybe in another world Mort would have finished her off.

While I can't disagree that her character was somewhat tedious in SoS or, at least drawn out she was really one of the most interesting and diverse characters in the Ka-Tet with the exception of Roland himself. She was disabled, a victim of racism and mentally challenged as well. Quite the mixed bag, no? How she manages to overcome these disadvantages and still be a formidable member of the team is pretty compelling IMHO

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-19-2018, 01:40 PM
I liked her in the first three volumes, possibly the first four.

But, full disclosure, I hated her ever-lovin' guts by the time I finished Volume 7.

Merlin1958
07-19-2018, 01:49 PM
I liked her in the first three volumes, possibly the first four.

But, full disclosure, I hated her ever-lovin' guts by the time I finished Volume 7.

LOL Yeah, that drawn out intricate "feelings crap" in SoS physically hurt a lot!!!! LOL

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Every time she said the word "chap" I wanted to reach inside the book and strangle her.

dnemec
07-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Well I was going to start SoS tomorrow, but I think I'll read something else for now. Thanks a bunch, guys!

Merlin1958
07-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Well I was going to start SoS tomorrow, but I think I'll read something else for now. Thanks a bunch, guys!

NO!!!!! Read it!!!! It's still part 6 of the story!!!! It's integral to the saga. Go for it, Dez I assume you made it thru W&G, yes? Onward and upward you won't regret it. Plus, as a woman you will probably see things from a whole different angle than us Cave dwellers!!! lol

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Ugh!

dnemec
07-19-2018, 03:59 PM

NO!!!!! Read it!!!! It's still part 6 of the story!!!! It's integral to the saga. Go for it, Dez I assume you made it thru W&G, yes? Onward and upward you won't regret it. Plus, as a woman you will probably see things from a whole different angle than us Cave dwellers!!! lol

Yes, I've read everything up till that, I just haven't gotten around to SoS yet. It's funny, I had a hard time getting into The Gunslinger, but I forced my way through. The Drawing of Three was awesome and I immediately read through The Waste Lands afterwards. I thought Wizard and Glass was just okay, but liked Wolves of the Calla. We'll see which way SoS goes!

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-19-2018, 04:41 PM
I hated WOLVES OF THE CALLA, so you will probably like SONG then. King's made up lingo just bothered the heck out of me by this time and I had a hard time with the last three books. I may try to reread the whole saga again one day to see if my opinion changes, which is a very real possibility, because it's happened before.

St. Troy
07-19-2018, 05:12 PM
Yes (I hated “chap” too), but she was kind of a walking psychological bruise, so I just accepted it.