PDA

View Full Version : The Gingerbread Girl - new King story

jhanic
05-23-2007, 01:00 PM
According to Lilja's Library (www.liljas-library.com) King has a new short story, The Gingerbread Girl, in the July issue of Esquire magazine, due to hit the stands June 15.

John

Randall Flagg
05-23-2007, 01:24 PM
John,
thanks so much for the information.
I have redirected this to The Oracle, as it is the official Stephen King/Tower new and announcement thread. I have left a 24 hour redirect.

Jerome

Patrick
05-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, John, and for putting this where the whole site will know, Jerome.

Matt
05-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm also going to stick it out on the current news page. :D

Lots of work tonight.

VolsToTheWall
05-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Something else for me to buy next month. ;)

Ruki
05-23-2007, 05:29 PM
sounds good :D i'm so glad there won't be much of a wait for this one, i'm starving for some new stories.

Spencer
05-23-2007, 10:33 PM
I'll definitely have to pick that up.

ErinPatricia
05-24-2007, 11:47 AM
At least I wont feel as silly buying that as I did when "Low Men in Yellow Coats" was previewed in Womans Day magazine

Frunobulax
05-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Hmm....I'll have to pick up Esquire for the first time in my life then.

VolsToTheWall
05-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Hmm....I'll have to pick up Esquire for the first time in my life then.
Same here bud. :D

jhanic
06-01-2007, 03:24 AM
You all didn't get the December 2003 issue of Esquire with King's story Rest Stop in it?

John

Brice
06-01-2007, 05:27 AM
I tried to but I missed it. :( I did however read it online.

Frunobulax
06-01-2007, 06:27 PM
You all didn't get the December 2003 issue of Esquire with King's story Rest Stop in it?

John

Nope. I wasn't heavy into King as I am now.

ErinPatricia
06-02-2007, 01:21 PM
This is from the Stephenking.com newsletter I recieved:

In the emotional aftermath of her baby's sudden death, Em starts running. Soon she runs from her husband, to the airport, down to the Florida Gulf and out to the loneliest stretch of Vermillion Key, where her father has offered the use of a conch shack he has kept there for years. Em keeps up her running - barefoot on the beach, sneakers on the road - and sees virtually no one. This is doing her all kinds of good, until one day she makes the mistake of looking into the driveway of a man named Pickering. Pickering also enjoys the privacy of Vermillion Key, but the young women he brings there suffer the consequences...

jhanic
06-02-2007, 04:03 PM

In the emotional aftermath of her baby's sudden death, Em starts running. Soon she runs from her husband, to the airport, down to the Florida Gulf and out to the loneliest stretch of Vermillion Key, where her father has offered the use of a conch shack he has kept there for years. Em keeps up her running - barefoot on the beach, sneakers on the road - and sees virtually no one. This is doing her all kinds of good, until one day she makes the mistake of looking into the driveway of a man named Pickering. Pickering also enjoys the privacy of Vermillion Key, but the young women he brings there suffer the consequences...

jhanic
06-02-2007, 04:04 PM

I wonder if it is either Charlie Pickering (from Insomnia) or one of his relatives?

John

Steve
06-07-2007, 02:41 PM
I just remembered the Pickering in Insomnia, that's all. That guy was a douche.

Tvmorbid
06-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Damn, for some reason cant bring Pickering to mind, the name rings a bell but I cant think what he was like.

I wonder if/when this will be available in the UK? And in what format...

jhanic
06-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Charles Pickering was the character in Insomnia that stabbed Ralph.

John

Ruthful
06-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Damn, for some reason cant bring Pickering to mind, the name rings a bell but I cant think what he was like.

I wonder if/when this will be available in the UK? And in what format...

Don't they have Esquire in the Britain?

So, is this going to be released this Thursday?

I read somewhere that it was hitting newstands tomorrow.

Tvmorbid
06-11-2007, 02:38 PM
If they do, I've never come across it lol

Ruthful
06-11-2007, 02:51 PM
If they do, I've never come across it lol

Maybe that's because you're too busy looking over Cosmopolitan.

Ooh, burn!

:cyclops:

Seriously though, that's surprising.

I know they publish Playboy all over the globe, even in a few Muslim countries.

It's surprising that Esquire wouldn't be available, since it was one of the more widely-circulated men's mags-or "lad mags"-before the Maxim/Loaded soft core phenomenon took off.

I'll probably check out this issue, because I do look over the glossy mags when they have a particularly intriguing feature/article and I think this qualifies.

I don't know if I'll lay out the eight or nine bucks to purchase it though.

I stopped buying The American Spectator when that bastard RET sold it to that gadfly George Guilder, rebought it, then rereleased it with a two dollar price hike.

-good times, G.

Randall Flagg
06-11-2007, 05:33 PM
So, is this going to be released this Thursday?

I read somewhere that it was hitting newstands tomorrow.

I picked up 2 copies today at Barnes & Noble (Northern California) USA.

Ruthful
06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I'll check it out at my local magazine shop tomorrow.

funky dredd
06-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Just picked mine up :D
Tonight will be a reading night....

Ruthful
06-13-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm only three pages in, but so far so good.

VolsToTheWall
06-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Just finished reading it. Nice little story.

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 06:27 PM
I'll buy it on Friday.

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 09:06 PM
I need monies to buy my copy now. Damn you, Traveling Wilburys!

Ruthful
06-14-2007, 08:53 AM
This is the first time I've read any new work from him since completing the final, eponymous volume in The Dark Tower.

It was a pretty good short story.

:thumbsup:

jhanic
06-16-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm convinced the Pickering in Insomnia and the Pickering in The Gingerbread Girl are related!

John

VolsToTheWall
06-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I like a quote from the new SK interview regarding the publication of this story.

But you'll notice that Esquire put Angelina Jolie on the cover because they didn't want me in a Speedo. That was my suggestion: Me in a Speedo and boots, like Pierce Brosnan in "The Matador."
:lol:

Ruthful
06-20-2007, 09:02 AM
I like a quote from the new SK interview regarding the publication of this story.

But you'll notice that Esquire put Angelina Jolie on the cover because they didn't want me in a Speedo. That was my suggestion: Me in a Speedo and boots, like Pierce Brosnan in "The Matador."
:lol:

:cyclops:

The Angelina Jolie story made me want to puke, but overall the rest of the issue wasn't too bad.

They had a great story on Africom, which you don't see much reportage of in major media publications-except when the talking heads want to go to a local sheikh who claims that a C-104 murdered his entire family of innocent villagers in Baidoa.

The piece on radical honesty was pretty fascinating as well, but the main reason I picked it up was for The Gingerbread Girl.

It actually made me want to go out and pick up Blaze, to be truthful.

Randall Flagg
07-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Read and enjoyed the story yesterday.

ErinPatricia
07-05-2007, 03:14 PM
I finally picked it up and am very happy so far :)

It was so hard to finish my break at work cause I knew I would have to stop reading