PDA

View Full Version : The Terror on AMC

mae
12-08-2017, 01:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7CmXNUcxTo

Heather19
01-17-2018, 06:07 AM
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but I can not wait! I just started my re-read of the book the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l328p5sSEmc

Still Servant
01-17-2018, 07:05 PM
That looks amazing. I just added it to my list. I'm not familiar with the book.

Heather19
01-18-2018, 09:07 AM
That looks amazing. I just added it to my list. I'm not familiar with the book.

You need to read the book. Its one of my all-time favorites. And now is a good time since its winter :D

RUBE
03-26-2018, 10:18 AM
Anyone going to watch The Terror? I watched the 1st hour last night after TWD. It was pretty good. It combines a historical mystery with a horror show. Going in I didn't know it was going to be that (looked like a Thing prequel) but the real story of the ships (HMS Erebus and HMS Terror) is really interesting as well.

Last night was a preview. The two-hour premiere is tonight on AMC.

fernandito
03-26-2018, 10:54 AM
I plan on watching it. I couldn't get into the novel, hopefully I'll have better luck with the show.

Heather19
03-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Yes, I can't wait!

I plan on watching it. I couldn't get into the novel, hopefully I'll have better luck with the show.

:( That sucks. It's one of my all-time favorite books.

fernandito
03-26-2018, 11:12 AM
I think as I've gotten older my patience for slow-burner books has waned. It sucks, I know. Hopefully it's something I can remedy in the years to come.

Heather19
03-26-2018, 11:15 AM
I hope so. It's funny because that's what I love so much about it. It really immerses you into the book so you feel like you're there struggling with them. Whereas shorter quick reads are fun and entertaining, but they can't draw me into their world as much as books like this can. Also I love anything to do with the arctic so I'm sure that helped.

allasorte
03-26-2018, 02:12 PM
AMC has a new show starting tonight or Sundays? Taking a factual story about the northwest passage and two missing boats using a fictitious supernatural story. Has a nice cast and looks good. "The Terror."

Heather19
03-26-2018, 03:43 PM
AMC has a new show starting tonight or Sundays? Taking a factual story about the northwest passage and two missing boats using a fictitious supernatural story. Has a nice cast and looks good. "The Terror."

Based on the great novel by Dan Simmons :)

mae
03-26-2018, 04:38 PM
Feels like this needed its own thread, since it looks like a great show, based on a great book, and being discussed pretty actively. So some posts have been moved and such... Discuss!

Merlin1958
03-26-2018, 04:51 PM
To my TIVO!!!!!! :harrier:

Heather19
03-27-2018, 05:35 AM
Awesome, thanks Mae!

What did everyone think of last night? Has anyone read the book? I'm a litte confused as to why Lady Silence is not silent? :orely:

Lookwhoitis
03-27-2018, 06:25 AM
GAH! I hate watching an adaptation before reading the book. I haven't read The Terror yet

Heather19
03-27-2018, 06:48 AM
Oh you must! It's so good!

Lookwhoitis
03-27-2018, 08:06 AM
I really want to! Right now im furiously reading Ready Player One before the movie comes out! LOL

Ben Staad
03-27-2018, 09:20 AM
When I can I will check out the book. A little tired of how AMC puts their seasons together. Half season...1/2 to 1 year off...multi media junk...resume show.

Heather19
03-27-2018, 10:36 AM
I really hope that's not the case with this one. Does anyone know if it's a limited standalone season? I surely hope it is.

I really want to! Right now im furiously reading Ready Player One before the movie comes out! LOL

:lol:

RUBE
03-27-2018, 10:48 AM
It is a ten episode miniseries. There are no gaps that I know about, so it will finish in eight weeks (two episodes played last night.)

Ben Staad
03-27-2018, 10:56 AM
Oh no. I assumed that this would be split up.

RUBE
03-27-2018, 10:56 AM
Awesome, thanks Mae!

What did everyone think of last night? Has anyone read the book? I'm a litte confused as to why Lady Silence is not silent? :orely:

I haven't read the book but
I assume she just isn't silent yet. Her dad's tongue was cut out so maybe she will be doing the same to herself?

WeDealInLead
03-27-2018, 11:20 AM
I see the first episode is available on AMC's website for free. I think I know what I'm doing later at work.

mae
03-27-2018, 12:07 PM
Working? :unsure:

WeDealInLead
03-27-2018, 12:09 PM
Working at work? A travesty, I say! Actually, work is completely insane until my clients go to sleep. Than it's paperwork and, as it turns out, The Terror.

webstar1000
03-28-2018, 05:21 AM
BEST NEW SHOW IN YEARS.

Ricky
03-28-2018, 05:41 AM
Watched it last night and while it wasn't bad, I was a little underwhelmed. I liked the first episode better than the second (I found myself checking the clock a lot, which isn't a good sign). I have a feeling I'm going to be glad I'm jumping right into the show instead of reading the book.

Heather19
03-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Watched it last night and while it wasn't bad, I was a little underwhelmed. I liked the first episode better than the second (I found myself checking the clock a lot, which isn't a good sign). I have a feeling I'm going to be glad I'm jumping right into the show instead of reading the book.

Oh no, I can already guarantee that the book is going to be much better than the miniseries. But you guys know I'm usually a purist, and get upset at changes. So far there's two big ones that bother me, but I'm hoping it'll get better. I really enjoyed the first episodes, but I hope it doesn't stray too much farther from the book.

One other thing that I liked about the book is that the story starts in Oct 1848, and then there's flashbacks as to how they got to where they are at that point. Kinda wish they did a similar thing, but I can see why they started where they did.

Awesome, thanks Mae!

I haven't read the book but
I assume she just isn't silent yet. Her dad's tongue was cut out so maybe she will be doing the same to herself?

That's probably my guess as well, but it kinda changes things quite a bit. Wonder why they felt the need to change that, as having her silent from the beginning adds a lot more mystery. No one knows who she is, where she's from, what happened to her, what she's feeling or thinking...

Not sure why my response is showing up in quotes like that.

ICry4Oy
03-28-2018, 08:45 AM
One other thing that I liked about the book is that the story starts in Oct 1848, and then there's flashbacks as to how they got to where they are at that point. Kinda wish they did a similar thing, but I can see why they started where they did.

They started it four years after the events on the ice, so isn't that what they did?

Heather19
03-28-2018, 08:57 AM
Sorry, Oct 1847. They've already been snowed in for two winters, and they're awaiting spring and hopefully with it the water to thaw so they can continue on with their expedition of finding the northwest passage. So about 2 1/2 years after they departed from England.

becca69
03-28-2018, 09:58 AM
I watched the first two episodes last night. Now I realize that AMC doesn't have the rest available unless you pay for them. Are episodes 3-10 available anywhere else?

WeDealInLead
03-28-2018, 11:31 AM
They'll probably release them after they air.

becca69
03-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Ah, I thought they had already aired and AMC was forcing me to purchase the remaining episodes.

Heather19
03-29-2018, 06:10 AM
Nope, they'll be airing every week, just like old fashioned tv :D Apparently AMC has some sort of streaming service now I guess. I think they're trying to promote it by releasing all episodes at once on there.

Merlin1958
03-29-2018, 02:09 PM
BEST NEW SHOW IN YEARS.

Easy now. It's good so far, but I wouldn't go putting it above say, Fargo/Better Call, Saul/Blacklist/Westworld for example as yet!!!!

Still Servant
03-30-2018, 03:56 PM
I want to read this thread so bad but I haven't watched the show yet. It's been sitting on my DVR since it aired.

*runs out of the thread*

Still Servant
04-02-2018, 03:45 PM
When I can I will check out the book. A little tired of how AMC puts their seasons together. Half season...1/2 to 1 year off...multi media junk...resume show.

Most of these network shows don't really do that. Honestly, it's really only The Walking Dead that does two halves of a season because it's so popular. Shows like Better Call Saul do their 10 episode run and they're out for the season. The same goes for shows like The Americans, Fargo, Mr. Robot. The list goes on. I honestly can't think of another cable show that does a 16 episode season.

As for a year off, that's standard for most shows. Most shows, especially networks shows, come back in September. Cable shows premiere throughout the year and usually tie up their season by the end of May. Most networks and cable channels will avoid the summer like the plague. I can't tell you how often I've had this conversation with family and friends and they ask me why their favorite shows seem to go off the air during the summer. :lol: It's not a coincidence.

I much prefer the short episode runs than investing in 22 episodes like on network TV. I enjoy shows like Blacklist but they really start stretching things to get to 20 episodes.

As for The Terror. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing how things unravel. I really like time period stuff and, being from New England, I've been to Mystic Seaport numerous times, so I love old ships.

Still Servant
04-09-2018, 04:08 PM
I found The Terror at a used book store for 50 cents. Score!

My backlog grows.

Heather19
04-09-2018, 04:27 PM

My backlog grows.

:excited:

Still Servant
04-09-2018, 04:59 PM

My backlog grows.

:excited:

My library has a really awesome used bookstore. I went in there specifically to see if they had The Terror. Not only was I excited to see that they had it, but it was on the 50 cent rack. This kind of stuff doesn't happen to me.

Heather19
04-11-2018, 06:48 AM
Anyone watching the show that has also read the book? I'm dying to discuss with someone that has.

Lookwhoitis
04-17-2018, 08:44 PM
Good Gravy... I just finished my first read of the Terror and I loved it (especially the ending)

Now I'm ready to jump into watching the episodes. The snippets I've seen in promos during recently watched Walking Dead eps look great!

Heather19
04-18-2018, 04:54 AM
:D The book is amazing isn't it! Just a warning the show doesn't strictly follow the book. I'll be excited to talk to you about it once you catch up.

Still Servant
04-23-2018, 03:46 PM
I'm enjoying the show, but not as much as I was hoping. I'm not sure what it is, but it's not wholly grabbing me yet.

Heather19
04-23-2018, 04:35 PM
I agree, although I think in my case it's some of the big changes from the book.

Ricky
04-23-2018, 04:42 PM
I still can't tell you a single character's name (aside from Lady Silence). That's the first sign of a show not grabbing me.

On a related note, it bothers me that no one ever looks cold. Were ships really that well insulated? :lol:

webstar1000
04-23-2018, 04:51 PM
Just finished it and loved it. So well done!

Heather19
04-23-2018, 05:21 PM
I still can't tell you a single character's name (aside from Lady Silence). That's the first sign of a show not grabbing me.

On a related note, it bothers me that no one ever looks cold. Were ships really that well insulated? :lol:

That's one of the problems I have with the show too. When I was reading the book it always talked about how layered up they were, and in the winter they were wearing their full outfits inside. Hats, and gloves and were still very cold. I'm surprised that they're not even wearing full gloves outside, especially because at that temperature if your skin touches metal it will tear it off, which we've seen, but yet their fingers are still free? The book actually made me feel cold when I was reading it, but yet I don't really get that feeling while watching the show. I do wish the show conveyed this more because it must have been torturous for the real men. I can't even begin to fathom what they must have gone through.

Ricky
04-24-2018, 04:37 AM
I guess that's one of the things lost in the transition from page to screen. There's a lot more you can do with description and internal feelings in writing. Then again, like you said, if they just showed them wearing gloves and all their "winter" clothes all the time, a little of that would go a long way. :lol:

Still Servant
04-24-2018, 03:24 PM

That's one of the problems I have with the show too. When I was reading the book it always talked about how layered up they were, and in the winter they were wearing their full outfits inside. Hats, and gloves and were still very cold. I'm surprised that they're not even wearing full gloves outside, especially because at that temperature if your skin touches metal it will tear it off, which we've seen, but yet their fingers are still free? The book actually made me feel cold when I was reading it, but yet I don't really get that feeling while watching the show. I do wish the show conveyed this more because it must have been torturous for the real men. I can't even begin to fathom what they must have gone through.

I'm with you. We should be seeing their breath even when they are in the ship. It would go a long way to helping the atmosphere. Honestly, it would be bone chillingly cold. I don't care how well-made those ships are.

Also, I've been to Mystic Seaport here in Connecticut and I've been on original ships from that era and I can tell you they are most certainly not air tight.

Heather19
04-24-2018, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I want to say he keeps stressing it being -30 degrees in the book. Maybe I'm off on that number, but whatever it is it's way below zero outside, and inside the ship it's still below freezing or close to it.

They could show their breath, or have them shiver, wear more clothing. There's definitely ways to convey extreme cold.

RUBE
05-01-2018, 04:14 AM
Who knew that cans could become a major cause of terror and a central plot point in a show?

Ricky
05-01-2018, 01:10 PM
I am two episodes behind right now. Not a good sign.

Ricky
05-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Glad that there's only two more episodes. If this was a 22-episode network show, I don't think I could finish.

Heather19
05-16-2018, 09:59 AM
I got a little behind too. Almost got caught up last night, just have half the episode left to finish, and then the finale next week. I really wish they showed more of their struggles with the cold and the march south. I also don't like how they have a communication link to the native people and that Lady Silence is also in contact with them. One of the great things about the book to me was that they were so isolated up there. It really made it a much more terrifying story. Oh and I also really wish they only showed the bear in quick glimpses. It looks pretty cheesy in full view. Oh well, I'm still trying to enjoy it for what it is, and at least I'll always have the book. I can see why it might be a drag for people that haven't read the story though. Curious how they're going to end it.

RUBE
05-16-2018, 10:51 AM
I like it even though I haven't read the book. As far as the "bear" is concerned, I think that the show would have been better not having any supernatural element. To me the struggles with cold, hunger, and sickness and the power struggles between the crew are more interesting than the few random attacks of the creature. You could have practically the same story if you removed the creature and just had a single polar bear attack early on and fear of another from the sailors. Of course, I probably would never have started watching in the first place without the advertised horror elements so I guess it served a purpose.

Ricky
05-16-2018, 03:11 PM
I really wish they showed more of their struggles with the cold and the march south. I also don't like how they have a communication link to the native people and that Lady Silence is also in contact with them. One of the great things about the book to me was that they were so isolated up there. It really made it a much more terrifying story. Oh and I also really wish they only showed the bear in quick glimpses. It looks pretty cheesy in full view.

And I agree that the polar bear creature does look pretty cheesy. I also don't like how "easy" everything seems for the crew. It's like they're not even suffering. And I think I heard one of the characters say they've been there for years? Is that right? Because it definitely just feels like a few weeks.

RUBE, also agree that you could take out the Inuit mythology part and have essentially the same story.

Heather19
05-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Yes, they set sail in 1845 and it is now 1848. Their march is so hard and draining. They have to pull those sledges up and over pack ice. They have to pull them across the land. All while on very, very small rations. They're all getting sick and dying from scurvy. Making very little headway each day. The march in the show seems pretty easy compared to the book. The "terror" in the book is pretty minor as well. I did really enjoy that aspect of the story, but what they went through was far scarier than the thing on the ice.

Father Cody
05-16-2018, 05:27 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed. If that’s the case can you let me know and I’ll read through the replies? I’m a little over halfway through the book (first time) so I’m trying to avoid spoilers.

My wife is bugging me to watch the show with her but there’s no way I’m doing that if it ruins the book for me. Do you think it would be safe to watch the first episode or two considering I’m about 60% through the book?

RUBE
05-16-2018, 05:34 PM
I think it's hard to show how hungry someone is or exactly how exhausted they are. I do think they are showing how bad the illness is for them and that is why I said earlier that the cans were the main villain. It also would have helped if they filmed in weather at least cold enough so that we see their breath.

As for the time element, there was a two year time jump in the first or second episode so that is part of the reason it doesn't seem like they have been there that long on the show. We don't see the monotonous time they spent stuck on those ships doing the exact same chores and eating the exact same poisoned food day after day for two years.

Heather19
05-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed. If that’s the case can you let me know and I’ll read through the replies? I’m a little over halfway through the book (first time) so I’m trying to avoid spoilers.

My wife is bugging me to watch the show with her but there’s no way I’m doing that if it ruins the book for me. Do you think it would be safe to watch the first episode or two considering I’m about 60% through the book?

I think you should be ok if you're just watching the first two. If you're a fast reader however, then I'd say just hold off until you finish the book. The show tells stuff in a much more linear format than the book does.

Father Cody
05-16-2018, 05:57 PM

I think you should be ok if you're just watching the first two. If you're a fast reader however, then I'd say just hold off until you finish the book. The show tells stuff in a much more linear format than the book does.

Thanks Heather! Unfortunately I’m probably the slowest reader on TDT, so I’ll probably just watch them, and hope to be done sooner than later so we can watch the rest. Thanks again.

Ricky
05-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Yesterday I went with our fourth graders on a field trip to the Inner Harbor and toured the USS Constellation, the last sail-only warship designed and built by the United States Navy. I've lived in Baltimore all my live but have never been on board, so it was pretty cool. We went throughout all four decks (the top, common area, sleeping area, and below where they stored everything). The quarters were tight, the ceilings low, and all the info. about their lack of medical knowledge and working aboard the ship really makes you think how tough the conditions must've been for Erebus and Terror even without the extreme cold. The Constellation launched in 1854, so only a few years afterwards. I thought that was pretty cool.

Still Servant
05-27-2018, 05:11 PM
Well, I finally finished The Terror.

I got bogged down in the middle. I watch a lot of my shows at night, and I found myself falling asleep during episodes and having to rewatch them. This is not the kind of show that is good for night viewings.

I will say this, the show ramps up in the final 4 episodes. I thought they did a great job of portraying the hopelessness of the situation. They also did a great job of showing how desolate the environment was. I thought the show did an amazing job at the end with makeup and the acting was top notch. I felt like these guys were truly wasting away. I'm not sure I totally understand or love the ending, but I'm okay with it.

I really started hyping this show in my mind before it aired and it didn't live up to the hype, but I'm glad I stuck with it at the end of the day.

Heather19
05-30-2018, 05:08 AM
I hate to say it, but I was a bit disappointed with the show. I don't know if it's my immense love of the book, or that I had hyped it up so much in my mind beforehand. There were some big changes from the story which really bothered me. Maybe if I hadn't read the book I would have enjoyed it more.

Ricky
05-30-2018, 05:40 AM
Maybe if I hadn't read the book I would have enjoyed it more.

No you wouldn't have. Trust me. :lol:

Heather19
05-30-2018, 06:31 AM
:lol:

Lookwhoitis
05-30-2018, 08:43 AM
I enjoyed the adaptation and really liked the book a lot. Of course a few of the changes threw me off a bit but in the end I really kind of dug it. I enjoyed being able to SEE all the stuff depicted in a film world. The Ship, the monster, the visual representation of their weakening and sickness. I like the actors portrayals of Crozier, Goodsir and Hickey. I wish there had been more of the explanation of the Inuit mythology in the show. I really thought that added to the book. I understand it would be hard to get into that with the limitation of number of episodes.

I think i understand some folks being unhappy with this adaptation. I feel like it really required a high degree of "suspension of disbelief" which some folks were unable to do. Simmons' writing was so rich and detailed that was difficult to capture all of it in a mini series adaptation, but the depiction of the atmosphere, the feeling of dismay, and yes even the inclusion of showing the supernatural elements helped bring me into the story.

Lookwhoitis
05-30-2018, 08:57 AM
I like it even though I haven't read the book. As far as the "bear" is concerned, I think that the show would have been better not having any supernatural element. To me the struggles with cold, hunger, and sickness and the power struggles between the crew are more interesting than the few random attacks of the creature. You could have practically the same story if you removed the creature and just had a single polar bear attack early on and fear of another from the sailors. Of course, I probably would never have started watching in the first place without the advertised horror elements so I guess it served a purpose.

I don't really agree with this. In The Terror, Simmons undertook a supernatural explanation of of one of history's unsolved mysteries. There have been numerous straight ahead adaptations of the Franklin expedition.

mae
06-22-2018, 06:58 AM
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-terror-renewed-amc-1202854102/

AMC has renewed horror anthology “The Terror.”

The second season of the show will tell the story of a specter that haunts the Japanese-American community during World War II in the homes of Southern California, the internment camps where many were held during the war, and in the Pacific theater. Season two is created and executive produced by Alexander Woo (“True Blood”) and Max Borenstein (“Kong: Skull Island,” “Godzilla”), with Woo serving as showrunner.

“’The Terror’ has given us the opportunity to take a unique approach to the anthology format. We loved the concept of beginning with an actual historical event and overlaying it with a fictional horror element, and we are immensely proud of this show’s combination of cinematic scope and intimate character work. We are thrilled to announce a second season and dramatize one of the most chilling and important events of the 20th Century, guided by the vision of the gifted Alexander Woo and Max Borenstein,” said David Madden, president of original programming for AMC, SundanceTV and AMC Studios. “Our deep appreciation goes to the persistently creative and passionate showrunning team of David Kajganich and Soo Hugh, the incomparable Ridley Scott and the rest of the producing team, and the outstanding cast led by Jared Harris for launching this concept and leaving us on the precipice of terrifying new adventures as we continue with the next chapter of ‘The Terror.’”

Woo, currently in an overall production deal at AMC Studios, added, “I’m deeply honored to be telling a story set in this extraordinary period. We hope to convey the abject terror of the historical experience in a way that feels modern and relevant to the present moment. And the prospect of doing so with a majority Asian and Asian-American cast is both thrilling and humbling.”

“The Terror” is produced by Scott Free, Emjag Productions and Entertainment 360. Executive producers for the series are Ridley Scott, Dan Simmons, David W. Zucker, Alexandra Milchan, Scott Lambert and Guymon Casady.

RichardX
06-22-2018, 11:40 AM
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-terror-renewed-amc-1202854102/

AMC has renewed horror anthology “The Terror.”

The second season of the show will tell the story of a specter that haunts the Japanese-American community during World War II in the homes of Southern California, the internment camps where many were held during the war, and in the Pacific theater. Season two is created and executive produced by Alexander Woo (“True Blood”) and Max Borenstein (“Kong: Skull Island,” “Godzilla”), with Woo serving as showrunner.

“’The Terror’ has given us the opportunity to take a unique approach to the anthology format. We loved the concept of beginning with an actual historical event and overlaying it with a fictional horror element, and we are immensely proud of this show’s combination of cinematic scope and intimate character work. We are thrilled to announce a second season and dramatize one of the most chilling and important events of the 20th Century, guided by the vision of the gifted Alexander Woo and Max Borenstein,” said David Madden, president of original programming for AMC, SundanceTV and AMC Studios. “Our deep appreciation goes to the persistently creative and passionate showrunning team of David Kajganich and Soo Hugh, the incomparable Ridley Scott and the rest of the producing team, and the outstanding cast led by Jared Harris for launching this concept and leaving us on the precipice of terrifying new adventures as we continue with the next chapter of ‘The Terror.’”

Woo, currently in an overall production deal at AMC Studios, added, “I’m deeply honored to be telling a story set in this extraordinary period. We hope to convey the abject terror of the historical experience in a way that feels modern and relevant to the present moment. And the prospect of doing so with a majority Asian and Asian-American cast is both thrilling and humbling.”

“The Terror” is produced by Scott Free, Emjag Productions and Entertainment 360. Executive producers for the series are Ridley Scott, Dan Simmons, David W. Zucker, Alexandra Milchan, Scott Lambert and Guymon Casady.

That sounds like an interesting premise. I hope, however, they don't try to turn this into some type of political platform. There is more than enough of that in the "news."

Still Servant
08-18-2019, 05:30 PM
Is anyone watching The Terror Season 2? The first episode didn't hold my attention very well, but I will be back for a second episode.

Lookwhoitis
08-18-2019, 06:51 PM
I saw the first ep and liked it a lot.

St. Troy
08-19-2019, 06:19 AM
I thought I was paying attention, but I didn't know it was back.

Bev Vincent
08-19-2019, 06:29 AM
Is anyone watching The Terror Season 2? The first episode didn't hold my attention very well, but I will be back for a second episode.

I loved the first episode, both the story with the Japanese mythology and the fantastic cinematography.