PDA

View Full Version : The Outsider - Collecting information

herbertwest
03-05-2018, 10:15 AM
THE OUTSIDER being released in exactly 2 months, I think that it's time to create a dedicated thread.

What I am guessing will be available:

US
- Proof (Scribner)
- Trade (Scribner)
- Limited edition (Cemetery Dance)?

UK :
- UK Proof (H&S)
- UK trade (H&S)
- UK trade Airport edition (H&S)?
- UK trade (WHSmith purple variant)?
- UK limited edition by Waterstone (?)

ICry4Oy
03-05-2018, 10:19 AM
THE OUTSIDER being released in exactly 2 months, I think that it's time to create a dedicated thread.

US
- Proof (Scribner)
- Trade (Scribner)

UK :
- UK Proof (H&S)
- UK trade (H&S)

I imagine there will also be:
UK trade with man with yellow eyes
UK trade with man with green eyes
UK trade with man with blue eyes
UK trade with man with purple eyes (WH Smith)
UK trade with man with no eyes

...at least...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-05-2018, 10:26 AM

US
- Proof (Scribner)
- Trade (Scribner)

UK :
- UK Proof (H&S)
- UK trade (H&S)

...at least...

and loads of you lot will buy them all!

:)

herbertwest
03-05-2018, 10:42 AM

US
- Proof (Scribner)
- Trade (Scribner)

UK :
- UK Proof (H&S)
- UK trade (H&S)

...at least...

Do you want me to suggest that idea to my contact at the publisher?
:D

Beverly Marsh
03-05-2018, 10:54 AM

US
- Proof (Scribner)
- Trade (Scribner)

UK :
- UK Proof (H&S)
- UK trade (H&S)

...at least...

:rofl:

Beverly Marsh
03-05-2018, 10:55 AM
I am glad this thread has been started though. Need info on when the UK edition (s) will go up.

Ricky
03-05-2018, 04:09 PM

...at least...

Oh man. :rofl:

Lilja
03-06-2018, 07:26 AM
THE OUTSIDER being released in exactly 2 months,

Not to be picky but it's released on May 22 so it's less than 2 months. :-)

Lilja

Randall Flagg
03-06-2018, 07:33 AM
By my count, May 22, 2018 is 77 days away.

herbertwest
03-06-2018, 12:05 PM
Dont know why, but for some reason I thought that it was the 5th

Bev Vincent
03-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Dont know why, but for some reason I thought that it was the 5th

It used to be June 5.

lotuz
03-06-2018, 02:44 PM
I'm curious about a possible Limited Edition - I don't remember the timing on the CD S/L of Gwendy and Sleeping Beauties. When were those announced relative to the actual publication date? I'm not sure what the most common practice is re: the timing of a S/L for a new book...

Randall Flagg
03-06-2018, 04:04 PM
I'm curious about a possible Limited Edition - I don't remember the timing on the CD S/L of Gwendy and Sleeping Beauties. When were those announced relative to the actual publication date? I'm not sure what the most common practice is re: the timing of a S/L for a new book...
It's awfully late for an announcement on signed limited editions, but stranger things have happened.

Hunchback Jack
03-06-2018, 04:36 PM
IIRC, the UK S/L for Sleeping Beauties was announced pretty much at release date, wasn't it? But yes, if a small press were doing an S/L, I expect it would be announced by now.

There was no S/L for any of the Bill Hodges novels, was there? Maybe this novel is in the same camp ...

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-06-2018, 07:09 PM
I fervently wish they'd do the US and UK hardcovers and that's it. I am running out of room and money.

stroppygoblin
03-14-2018, 09:33 AM
OK Purple WH Smith variant of the Outsider has been announced. PM me if you want a copy picking up.

Or Order here (https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/the-outsider/9781473676350)

herbertwest
03-14-2018, 10:15 AM
"Collector's edition"...

Beverly Marsh
03-14-2018, 10:29 AM
So it begins.....thanks for the info Simon!
Is the Hodder up for pre order yet? I've checked a couple of times and haven't seen anything. However, I am only getting ONE UK edition of this. Sleeping Beauties was too insane. Now, do I get the purple to go with said SB insanity? :orely: :rolleyes2:

Hunchback Jack
03-14-2018, 12:18 PM
I, for one, hope to get both standard and WH Smith editions, because I dig the UK trade edition variants, even though they aren't signed, or particularly limited.

(And yes, Sleeping Beauties was insane. I hope they don't have 17 different Outsider variants, because the 10 copies of SB sitting on my shelf seem enough of a rebuke, as it is :) ).

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-14-2018, 04:44 PM
The Book Depository has the UK trade paperback up for pre-order for $18.57, free postage. I ordered one copy.

Brian861
03-14-2018, 08:06 PM
OK Purple WH Smith variant of the Outsider has been announced. PM me if you want a copy picking up.

Or Order here (https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/the-outsider/9781473676350)

For I am weak, Simon and have placed my order for 2018 titles via PM :cry: I'm sure it goes without saying but one can't assume. (Ok, so you can with me. It's all about ironing out the logistics between you, Jeff, and myself in the end. You're a good man, Charlie Brown).

craigobau
03-17-2018, 05:20 AM
I'm also happy to help any non-UK fans who want a copy of the WH Smith edition of The Outsider.

bdwyer19
04-04-2018, 07:14 AM
This was on the Nocturnal Readers Box Facebook page...

“About the King box; we are saddened to tell you all that Stephen King will be going on tour for The Outsiders and will not be available to sign any of Salem's Lot for us. We were just as bummed to hear this news as, I'm sure, many of you will be. So, that means all the boxes will be the same price, $75 USD +shipping. Boxes go on sale in just a couple of hours for current subscribers (12p CST). Get ready and Good Luck!”

Has anyone else heard anything official about a signing tour this summer?

Randall Flagg
04-04-2018, 07:18 AM
First I've heard of one.

Father Cody
04-04-2018, 07:43 AM
Is it practically a sure thing that there’ll be a signing tour? Is getting a ticket just a matter of following the official SK site for updates and buying the minute they’re released? Thanks for any guidance you can give me on this.

Randall Flagg
04-04-2018, 07:50 AM
Previously it was stated that there would not be a tour. It might happen, and if so, hopefully info will break here promptly.

RichardX
04-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Is it practically a sure thing that there’ll be a signing tour? Is getting a ticket just a matter of following the official SK site for updates and buying the minute they’re released? Thanks for any guidance you can give me on this.

According to Ms. Mod there is no signing tour for this one. That doesn't necessarily mean that King wouldn't do a one off event like he did in Bridgton a few years ago but apparently no tour. And there may be the possibility of some type of signed limited edition being released.

stroppygoblin
04-04-2018, 08:10 AM
According to a FB post from The Nocturnal Box club, they are unable to get some books signed because King will be doing a tour for the Outsiders...

"we are saddened to tell you all that Stephen King will be going on tour for The Outsiders and will not be available to sign any of Salem's Lot for us."

bdwyer19
04-04-2018, 08:20 AM
According to a FB post from The Nocturnal Box club, they are unable to get some books signed because King will be doing a tour for the Outsiders...

"we are saddened to tell you all that Stephen King will be going on tour for The Outsiders and will not be available to sign any of Salem's Lot for us."

I posted that earlier :)

C1TIZEN_X
04-04-2018, 08:25 AM

Seems there is contradictory information regarding an Outsiders tour. Ms. Mod says no tour, but NRB says that is the reason there won't be any signed Salem's Lot NRB editions. HMMMM...

Father Cody
04-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Ah I see. Thanks guys. Gotta say I’m pretty excited about even the possibility of going to a signing event and possibly meeting the big guy.

bdwyer19
04-04-2018, 08:35 AM

Seems there is contradictory information regarding an Outsiders tour. Ms. Mod says no tour, but NRB says that is the reason there won't be any signed Salem's Lot NRB editions. HMMMM...

It is possible that Ms Mod is saying there is no tour yet because not all dates have been confirmed. We shall see.

C1TIZEN_X
04-04-2018, 08:37 AM

It is possible that Ms Mod is saying there is no tour yet because not all dates have been confirmed. We shall see.

True, I hope there is one. I had a blast going to the Sleeping Beauties tour.

RichardX
04-04-2018, 10:50 AM

Ms Mod posted that "He won't be doing any book tours this year." Also no tour for Elevation. Anything is possible though. He could do a one off in Maine or Florida or book festival event. I doubt there would be a signing tour though given the timeline and complexities of arranging it and selling tickets in advance etc. There are also publicity tours (i.e. TV appearances) which might be the complication with NRB.

herbertwest
05-09-2018, 10:01 AM
The usual WHSmith purple exclusive cover
> http://fal.cn/yB8m

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcxgaOjXcAAOa41.jpg

Brian861
05-09-2018, 10:53 AM
I like that.

Fsmdr
05-10-2018, 08:20 AM
Not even a UK S/L for The Outsider?

Patrick
05-10-2018, 08:24 AM

I always like the WHSmith covers.

Hunchback Jack
05-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Not even a UK S/L for The Outsider?

None announced yet. Not every King book has had an S/L, so there may not be one for The Outsider. We will just have to wait and see.

HBJ

stroppygoblin
05-10-2018, 09:04 AM

I always like the WHSmith covers.

I can add you to my list if you want one Patrick.
Get your ar$e down to Vegas and I'll hand deliver it to you! :evil:
Please do add me to your list, Simon. Thank you!
I’m trying to find a way to Vegas, but your timing is killing me!
Because, really, isn’t it all about me?

shaq
05-11-2018, 12:22 AM
Stephenking.com has a comp for a signed copy.

Open to US only.

biomieg
05-11-2018, 12:39 AM
US friends - anyone willing to get me a nice trade 1st edition when the book is out? I used to be able to get them locally on or before the official publication date, but lately it has been taking a bit longer before my go-to store has the US editions in stock. I don’t want to rely on Amazon and their shitty cardboard envelopes.

I’m based in Europe and don’t mind paying shipping from the US (even though it’s probably more than the book itself haha).

Father Cody
05-11-2018, 12:45 AM
US friends - anyone willing to get me a nice trade 1st edition when the book is out? I used to be able to get them locally on or before the official publication date, but lately it has been taking a bit longer before my go-to store has the US editions in stock. I don’t want to rely on Amazon and their shitty cardboard envelopes.

I’m based in Europe and don’t mind paying shipping from the US (even though it’s probably more than the book itself haha).

Sure. Will you just remind me to do it when the book is released?

Fsmdr
05-11-2018, 08:13 AM

Emailed you.

MikeDuke
05-12-2018, 08:19 AM
So just to be sure, this is being released May 22 right?

herbertwest
05-12-2018, 09:51 AM
yep

MikeDuke
05-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Thanks Herb. Only 10 days to go.

herbertwest
05-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Not for all of us :p

stroppygoblin
05-22-2018, 04:43 AM
UK Books are on sale!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/922/medium/IMG_02191.jpg

If you have contacted me, I now have your book(s) :dance:

peripheral
05-22-2018, 05:07 AM
Niiiiicceeee...

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-22-2018, 05:23 AM
Time for me to build another bookshelf.

zelig
05-22-2018, 05:27 AM
What, no twelve variants this time?

Hunchback Jack
05-22-2018, 08:35 AM
YAY!! And I'm secretly glad there are only two variants. Although a S/L from Waterstones would be neat.

Beverly Marsh
05-22-2018, 10:11 AM
UK Books are on sale!

Yay Simon! I'm on that list :biggrin:
Thank you! I'd love to know how big that pile of books ended up being :cool:

stroppygoblin
05-22-2018, 10:13 AM

Thank you! I'd love to know how big that pile of books ended up being :cool:[/QUOTE]

I bought 24 copies today :) nowhere near the Sleeping Beauties pile!

becca69
05-22-2018, 10:24 AM
My B&Ns only have 2nd printings. I grabbed a copy from Ebay. Wonder what the 1st print run is on this one?

webstar1000
05-22-2018, 10:32 AM
All the stores by me have 2nd's BUT the local Costco's. The one on Ebay signed is a 2nd too!

amd013
05-22-2018, 10:55 AM
I ordered mine through CD (with custom slipcase), so hope they get all 1sts.

wizardsrainbow
05-22-2018, 11:59 AM
I bought several (all 1sts ) at my Barnes & Noble...I had to look at 46 books to cull 8 perfect ones from the pile as all the others had one or more bumped corners or wrinkle to DJ edge.

Beverly Marsh
05-22-2018, 12:05 PM

I bought 24 copies today :) nowhere near the Sleeping Beauties pile![/QUOTE]

They either love or hate seeing you walk in :smile_002:

Beverly Marsh
05-22-2018, 12:06 PM
My local BAM had firsts. I didn't inspect all of them but the ones I checked were firsts.

MikeDuke
05-22-2018, 12:16 PM
I bought one today. The person I was with noticed it had a 3. I said, that doesn't look right. Most of them were 3's. But, we looked again and found a real first that started with a 1. Very strange. Even in another book store the number line said 3. I wonder how many say 1 out there. I never saw that before.
Bev Vincent on Reddit said this "Sometimes they go back to the press pre-publication based on advanced orders from stores."
https://www.reddit.com/r/stephenking/comments/8lasqv/the_outsider_copyright_page_number_line/

Glad I double checked. Now I am really interested how many say 1 because like I said, we looked at few and this was the only book we found that had the number 1.

Lurker
05-22-2018, 12:26 PM
Mine from Amazon starts with a 1.

Father Cody
05-22-2018, 12:29 PM
I bought several (all 1sts ) at my Barnes & Noble...I had to look at 46 books to cull 8 perfect ones from the pile as all the others had one or more bumped corners or wrinkle to DJ edge.

I noticed that too! Wasn’t as bad as the ones you described but some are definitely not perfect.

MikeDuke
05-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Too me, mine looks to be in great shape. No bumps or wrinkles. It may be my imagination, but the DJ does seem a bit big for the book. Just a bit loose. Not like Mr. Mercedes for ex. I sure it's fine though because I see no flaws on the DJ at all. I think others did but not the one I got.

Br!an
05-22-2018, 01:50 PM
All third printings at my B&N. I'll check Books A Million tomorrow.

I bought one from CD. That should be a first.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about the CD in the slipcase. They shipped later printings on a previous book but made up for it later. I'm going OUTSIDER hunting tomorrow.

TravelinJack
05-22-2018, 02:12 PM
We’ll get our CD ones in 2019 :lol:

Ricky
05-22-2018, 02:21 PM
Already a 2nd and 3rd printing? Yikes! Fingers crossed when I go Saturday.

WeDealInLead
05-22-2018, 02:50 PM
Unless you live somewhere in the boonies, why would anyone pre-order a trade edition? Your local book store should have it and you get to hand pick your copy. Plus you won't wait years to receive it.

Father Cody
05-22-2018, 03:55 PM
The signed copies on eBay made me wonder. They’re listed at around $1,000 and from what I’ve been reading, that’s way too high but the reason I’m seeing is because it’s not a 1st printing. So what would you guys say a signed 1st printing is worth?

Randall Flagg
05-22-2018, 04:05 PM
The signed copies on eBay made me wonder. They’re listed at around $1,000 and from what I’ve been reading, that’s way too high but the reason I’m seeing is because it’s not a 1st printing. So what would you guys say a signed 1st printing is worth?
$900 today.
Maybe $500 in two weeks. This could play out like Mr. Mercedes and be harder to find signed.
I'm a bit surprised that a person I consider pretty astute got a 3rd printing signed.

I went on vacation this morning and needed a reading copy. I grabbed one at Walmart at 6am. True 1st/1st.

The Costco near me has a dozen or two, all true 1st/1st, but naturally only a few in F/F condition. I had a couple picked up for me by my son (who works there, but no purchase could be made until after 10am).

Randall Flagg
05-22-2018, 04:07 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to find stacks of 1st/1st on remainder in 7 months, but who knows the condition, or if they will have a felt pen remainder mark on them.

alltimegreatauthentics
05-22-2018, 04:39 PM
We definitely did not intend to have Stephen sign third printings, there was a limited window of time to go buy the new book before Stephen left his location. We grabbed books at 5th Ave Barnes and Noble and they were all third printings.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-22-2018, 05:05 PM
We’ll get our CD ones in 2019 :lol:

If we're lucky!

By the way, that's just a friendly joke!

becca69
05-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Whoever has a proof, does it have the 1st print run listed?

Brian861
05-22-2018, 05:48 PM
Unless you live somewhere in the boonies, why would anyone pre-order a trade edition? Your local book store should have it and you get to hand pick your copy. Plus you won't wait years to receive it.

I'm now buying my 1st from Camelot because they come in mylar at no extra cost. I've never got around to ordering mylar and would probably screw it up anyway. Plus she uses cool wrapping paper :)

Brian861
05-22-2018, 05:50 PM
UK Books are on sale!

I bought 24 copies today :) nowhere near the Sleeping Beauties pile![/QUOTE]

:excited: Thanks, Simon! Only two more runs to make this year (maybe) :)

Father Cody
05-22-2018, 05:54 PM

I'm now buying my 1st from Camelot because they come in mylar at no extra cost. I've never got around to ordering mylar and would probably screw it up anyway. Plus she uses cool wrapping paper :)

Really? That’s cool. I’ll start ordering from Camelot too then.

WeDealInLead
05-22-2018, 05:59 PM
They're the best book store there is and their customer service is unparalleled.

Brian861
05-22-2018, 06:08 PM

Really? That’s cool. I’ll start ordering from Camelot too then.

Yeppers. Kim is great people too. Probably pick up a reader from Amazon or whatnot since no more BCEs.

Father Cody
05-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Great to know. Thanks guys.

Roseannebarr
05-22-2018, 06:40 PM
Whoever has a proof, does it have the 1st print run listed?

Full number line. Sure does!

wizardsrainbow
05-22-2018, 07:09 PM
They're the best book store there is and their customer service is unparalleled.

I agree...Kim and Tony at Camelot do a bang-up job!

Lurker
05-22-2018, 07:12 PM

Could be you have a severe leg injury which has cost you a lot of hospital time and treatment and precludes you from walking more than about five feet at a time. Hmm.

Merlin1958
05-22-2018, 07:15 PM

Could be you have a severe leg injury which has cost you a lot of hospital time and treatment and precludes you from walking more than about five feet at a time. Hmm.

I can do better than 5 ft but "Amen"!!!!

biomieg
05-23-2018, 12:49 AM
I'm going to check out the American Book Center in The Hague this afternoon to see if they have the book in stock (and if so, whether they have any 1sts in nice condition). If not I'll be sure to contact one of my benefactors from the US :smile:

webstar1000
05-23-2018, 03:47 AM

I disagree. Bett's is. :rose:

biomieg
05-23-2018, 04:54 AM
I got myself a 1st/1st! Unfortunately, all available copies were a bit scuffed (probably due to the type of cover finish). Oh well... looking forward to reading it!

*edit: it turns out that the DJ is also very sensitive to finger prints... I took the book out of the bag and it has finger prints of the bookstore employee on the cover that I can't wipe away... :mad1:

Hunchback Jack
05-23-2018, 06:26 AM
Just to be clear - if the number line starts with a 3 but ends in a 2, that's an Outsider second printing, yes?

webstar1000
05-23-2018, 06:32 AM
Just to be clear - if the number line starts with a 3 but ends in a 2, that's an Outsider second printing, yes?

100%

Bev Vincent
05-23-2018, 06:54 AM

Lowest number wins. Some publishers use 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 but others alternate 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2 so that the number line stays nearly centered on the page when they remove digits.

Father Cody
05-23-2018, 07:05 AM

This seemed to help someone yesterday:

https://www.biblio.com/book-collecting/basics/what-is-a-number-line/

Ben Staad
05-23-2018, 08:13 AM
1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2. Now I'm confused. What printing is this?

*I do have to admit I did have a drink at brunch so this may be the reason I'm befuddled. :doh:

zelig
05-23-2018, 08:20 AM
If you see a 1 in there you’re good. If you see pink elephants, you’ve had too much to drink.

webstar1000
05-23-2018, 08:28 AM

*I do have to admit I did have a drink at brunch so this may be the reason I'm befuddled. :doh:

This is a true 1st.

bdwyer19
05-23-2018, 08:44 AM

Brunch on a Wednesday?!?!

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-23-2018, 09:50 AM
Went to Walmart, no copies. Went to Target, 14 copies according to their hand computers, nobody could find them. Went to Meijer, a whole bunch of firsts, bought 2.

Ben Staad
05-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yep. Weekday brunch at a local joint. Nice little place that doesn't do dinner.

Brunch on a Wednesday?!?!

Ben Staad
05-23-2018, 10:37 AM
Went to Walmart, no copies. Went to Target, 14 copies according to their hand computers, nobody could find them. Went to Meijer, a whole bunch of firsts, bought 2.

My local Walmart had at least 10 copies (maybe more) with the number line I asked about. I stopped looking after the ten.

wizardsrainbow
05-23-2018, 11:46 AM
I just bought a legitimately flatsigned 1st/1st of Outsider from a contact of mine.....no it was not the 2nd printing on eBay.....

Father Cody
05-23-2018, 11:52 AM
I just bought a legitimately flatsigned 1st/1st of Outsider from a contact of mine.....no it was not the 2nd printing on eBay.....

Keeping it?

wizardsrainbow
05-23-2018, 11:54 AM
yes

Hunchback Jack
05-23-2018, 05:35 PM

Lowest number wins. Some publishers use 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 but others alternate 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2 so that the number line stays nearly centered on the page when they remove digits.

Thanks, Bev.

One reason I'm asking is that I've heard reports of 3rd printing copies, but have only seen pictures of 2nd printing copies. I wonder if some people are equating the number line "starting with a 3" with "being a third printing".

Merlin1958
05-23-2018, 09:27 PM
So, I'm a little taken back to hear folks are already getting 2nd/3rd editions/printings. I generally (last few tears) order my reading copy from Amazon and my collecting copy from CD w/slipcase. I have my Amazon copy which I started reading. Now, I hear there's an issue, Brian is dealing with getting 1/1 from S&S to fill their orders. I'm sure it will all work out, Bri and the folks at CD are professionals and give a damn about us collectors, but ain't this shit supposed to get easier as we get older? lol lol

FWIW, my S&S from Amazon also states "first edition May 2018" in addition to the number line

becca69
05-24-2018, 05:45 AM
FWIW, my S&S from Amazon also states "first edition May 2018" in addition to the number line

All the copies state that regardless of the numberline. It's still the first edition but not necessarily the first printing.

Pasiuk57
05-24-2018, 06:36 AM
I got a first edition from Amazon.com --came in the mail Tuesday

Lookwhoitis
05-24-2018, 09:39 AM
So, I'm a little taken back to hear folks are already getting 2nd/3rd editions/printings. I generally (last few tears) order my reading copy from Amazon and my collecting copy from CD w/slipcase. I have my Amazon copy which I started reading. Now, I hear there's an issue, Brian is dealing with getting 1/1 from S&S to fill their orders. I'm sure it will all work out, Bri and the folks at CD are professionals and give a damn about us collectors, but ain't this shit supposed to get easier as we get older? lol lol

I've got a copy preordered from amazon on May 15th and it hasn't even shipped yet. I hope it is a 1st printing, if not, i'll have to send it back. what a pain in the butt.

Lookwhoitis
05-24-2018, 09:40 AM

Camelot is sold out! :(

Lookwhoitis
05-24-2018, 09:42 AM
The good news is that I've already checked out a copy from the Library and start reading it today! :D

Father Cody
05-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Considering this first printing fiasco, I’m wondering if I should hang on to all the extras I bought. I planned on returning them for a refund, but then had a thought. How many first printings out there will end up with remainder marks due to whatever happened here? As I understand, the reason second and third printings were selling on release day was due to the major stores pre-ordering so many copies of the book. I’m sure the Walmarts and Targets or even B&Ns don’t care about whether they stock their shelves with first or second printings. So how many true firsts are going to end up with remainder marks I wonder. And how much will that affect the value of unmarked first printings?

Br!an
05-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Thanks, Bev.

One reason I'm asking is that I've heard reports of 3rd printing copies, but have only seen pictures of 2nd printing copies. I wonder if some people are equating the number line "starting with a 3" with "being a third printing".

My Barnes and Noble has nothing but third printings with the lowest number in the numberline being a 3.

webstar1000
05-24-2018, 11:09 AM
Considering this first printing fiasco, I’m wondering if I should hang on to all the extras I bought. I planned on returning them for a refund, but then had a thought. How many first printings out there will end up with remainder marks due to whatever happened here? As I understand, the reason second and third printings were selling on release day was due to the major stores pre-ordering so many copies of the book. I’m sure the Walmarts and Targets or even B&Ns don’t care about whether they stock their shelves with first or second printings. So how many true firsts are going to end up with remainder marks I wonder. And how much will that affect the value of unmarked first printings?

Honestly? I would return them. The first print run would be well in excess of a million. The later King books will never be worth big money. Like comics... when people found out they had value they jumped all over them and kept them perfect... still to this day that change in the 80's remains the same.. the older ones still worth money and the ones after that revelation... not worth much at all. Same thing here... get your money back dude.

bdwyer19
05-24-2018, 11:20 AM
I agree with Kris. A first edition trade of this book is not going to be worth much in the long run.

Father Cody
05-24-2018, 11:22 AM

Honestly? I would return them. The first print run would be well in excess of a million. The later King books will never be worth big money. Like comics... when people found out they had value they jumped all over them and kept them perfect... still to this day that change in the 80's remains the same.. the older ones still worth money and the ones after that revelation... not worth much at all. Same thing here... get your money back dude.

Thanks. That makes sense. Especially considering millions were printed. Hypothetically let’s say half of the first printings end up marked. Still wouldn’t make a difference you think? I don’t know much about number of copies printed for the newer versus older books other than I’d guess there’s a hell of a lot more printed now but still it seems anything affecting scarcity of a book increases value. I’m not talking about hundreds of dollars, but $20? $30 above list price?

I’ll be returning them for a refund but now I’m just curious.

webstar1000
05-24-2018, 11:23 AM

Thanks. That makes sense. Especially considering millions were printed. Hypothetically let’s say half of the first printings end up marked. Still wouldn’t make a difference you think? I don’t know much about number of copies printed for the newer versus older books other than I’d guess there’s a hell of a lot more printed now but still it seems anything affecting scarcity of a book increases value. I’m not talking about hundreds of dollars, but $20? $30 above list price?

nothing above list. lol

Father Cody
05-24-2018, 11:41 AM
I agree with Kris. A first edition trade of this book is not going to be worth much in the long run.

Thanks guys.

Br!an
05-24-2018, 12:09 PM

Return them. No doubt.

No, I don't think it makes a difference.

As Bev said,

The first printing is based on pre-orders from stores. As they get closer to pub date, they may adjust those figures.

So the pre-orders which constitute the first print run were for some unknown amount - 1,000,000 ~ 1,250,0000, - but their first estimates didn't satisfy demand, so they ordered more. The order for a second printing was of an unknown amount ~ 500,000. They then realized that wasn't enough and ordered another unknown amount. There may well be a fourth printing already ordered.

Some of those books will stay in warehouses. Since they don't really care about first printings, some of those that stay in warehouses will be first printings. Since they don't constantly stock hardcovers, some of the first printings will be sold at remainder prices, as RF said, whether remaindered or not. I doubt that will be a large percentage of first printings.

Dealers like Cemetery Dance will be able to make sure they receive first printings, because there are some in warehouses, and since CD makes an issue of it, first printings will be sought out and provided.

Father Cody
05-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Return them. No doubt.

As Bev said,

The first printing is based on pre-orders from stores. As they get closer to pub date, they may adjust those figures.

So the pre-orders which constitute the first print run were for some unknown amount - 1,000,000 ~ 1,250,0000, - but their first estimates didn't satisfy demand, so they ordered more. The order for a second printing was of an unknown amount ~ 500,000. They then realized that wasn't enough and ordered another unknown amount. There may well be a fourth printing already ordered.

Some of those books will stay in warehouses. Since they don't really care about first printings, some of those that stay in warehouses will be first printings. Since they don't constantly stock hardcovers, some of the first printings will be sold at remainder prices, as RF said, whether remaindered or not. I doubt that will be a large percentage of first printings.

Dealers like Cemetery Dance will be able to make sure they receive first printings, because there are some in warehouses, and since CD makes an issue of it, first printings will be sought out and provided.

Thanks, Brian. That’s all very enlightening. I’m kind of relieved about it to be honest. I didn’t know where I was going to put them haha. Thanks again for breaking it down for this newbie. :thumbsup:

webstar1000
05-24-2018, 12:50 PM

Return them. No doubt.

As Bev said,

Thanks, Brian. That’s all very enlightening. I’m kind of relieved about it to be honest. I didn’t know where I was going to put them haha. Thanks again for breaking it down for this newbie. :thumbsup:

How many did ya buy dude?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-24-2018, 12:50 PM
Wow, if Mr. King gets a penny for every one of those million copies sold, he'll get TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Makes me wish I cud rite good two.

Father Cody
05-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Return them. No doubt.

As Bev said,

Ten. :doh: I got a little excited lol

webstar1000
05-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Return them. No doubt.

As Bev said,

Damm pretty much but a signed older one for that. Good call retuning them.

Father Cody
05-24-2018, 12:54 PM

Return them. No doubt.

As Bev said,

Damm pretty much but a signed older one for that. Good call retuning them.

:thumbsup: thanks again for your help

Merlin1958
05-24-2018, 01:33 PM
You know, Adam if all ten are up for grabs Brian at CD might appreciate taking them off your hands and offering a deal since he's got S&S searching for 1st printings to fill his slipcase orders. Just a thought. Who knows? maybe he'd throw you some kind of extra collecting bone to boot.

I doubt S&S hired, Indiana Jones to go looking for the 1st printings it owes CD. lol lol

Can't put a price tag on good karma, right?

Father Cody
05-24-2018, 02:27 PM
You know, Adam if all ten are up for grabs Brian at CD might appreciate taking them off your hands and offering a deal since he's got S&S searching for 1st printings to fill his slipcase orders. Just a thought. Who knows? maybe he'd throw you some kind of extra collecting bone to boot.

I doubt S&S hired, Indiana Jones to go looking for the 1st printings it owes CD. lol lol

I’d be happy to. I’ve got four I was returning for sure, and two holding for a couple members until they know if they can get a copy locally or not. So possibly six total if those two members find a copy.

If you see this, Brian at CD, and are interested in doing what Bill suggested, shoot me a PM. I bought them each for $26. Hell, I bet the other Half Price Books here has more, too.

Randall Flagg
05-24-2018, 02:47 PM
I hate to disagree with people, but there is NO WAY they printed 1 million books on the 1st printing. True figures are somewhat of a closely held secret to the publisher, but simply no.

The HUGELY anticipated 1st run of "IT" was purportedly 860,000.

amd013
05-24-2018, 02:55 PM

Well maybe not Indiana Jones, but they do have "top men" working on it right now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoy4_h7Pb3M

Merlin1958
05-24-2018, 03:00 PM
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Brian861
05-25-2018, 03:52 PM
Local grocery stores here have 1st/1st. Kim verified my order from them is a 1st/1st.

redsoxfan565
05-26-2018, 06:59 AM
Anybody have a print run for this first printing? Costco, Target, Walmart and Amazon seem to have first printings. Some Barnes and Nobles I've been in are already at 3rd printings. Completely all over the place.

Br!an
05-26-2018, 07:00 AM
I found firsts at Walmart.

I definitely need to put this in a Brodart cover immediately.

Father Cody
05-26-2018, 07:01 AM
Anybody have a print run for this first printing? Costco, Target, Walmart and Amazon seem to have first printings. Some Barnes and Nobles I've been in are already at 3rd printings. Completely all over the place.

Not sure if this is what you’re asking but here’s the number line on the first printing...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180526/2b6a6d03adb6f0d7c167b817dd1a2a9f.jpg

redsoxfan565
05-26-2018, 07:03 AM
Yea I was referring to if anybody knew how many The Publisher printed in the first printing.

Father Cody
05-26-2018, 07:07 AM
I was wondering the same thing and learned that’s not information the publisher shares publicly. Scroll up a little in this thread and you’ll see the discussion.

dnemec
05-26-2018, 07:44 AM
My boyfriend found me a first printing at BJ's (which is like Costco & Sam's). He didn't even need to call and ask how to identify it. I have trained him well. ;)

Father Cody
05-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Haha my wife got a taste of it with this release. There was a little bit of eye rolling but she knows what a number line is now and how there needs to be a 1 somewhere in it. :lol:

zelig
05-26-2018, 07:57 AM
My boyfriend found me a first printing at BJ's (which is like Costco & Sam's). He didn't even need to call and ask how to identify it. I have trained him well. ;)

He’s a keeper.

stroppygoblin
05-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Went to pick up 4 pre-ordered WH Smith copies from my local store yesterday. 1 had a torn cover and 2 had very creased dj's. The woman serving me looked like i was a madman when I refused to take them. Simply couldn't understand how "such a little thing" would prevent me from buying a book....

Managed to find alternative copies in another store in a town nearby. Even then I struggled to find good copies amongst the piles of books. The other store's assistant (who was a little more understanding) said "Yeah, we get them shipped to us in plastic skips, no packaging at all really..." :eek:

Ricky
05-26-2018, 10:30 AM
My B&N only had about two dozen copies, some firsts, some seconds. Out of the firsts, none were really "collection copy worthy." Gonna try eBay unless anyone here managed to pick up an extra F/F copy they're willing to sell.

Randall Flagg
05-26-2018, 10:46 AM
The book (DJ) by it's very nature is prone to slight marring. Just being packaged and unpackaged can and will result in a slight rubbing mark(s), particularly on the rear of the DJ, as the front of the DJ rubs on the back of the book on top of it in the box, or stacked on the shelf. I don't think it's much to fret about as it will be years, if ever that the book is worth a significant amount.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Went to pick up 4 pre-ordered WH Smith copies from my local store yesterday. 1 had a torn cover and 2 had very creased dj's. The woman serving me looked like i was a madman when I refused to take them. Simply couldn't understand how "such a little thing" would prevent me from buying a book....

Managed to find alternative copies in another store in a town nearby. Even then I struggled to find good copies among the piles of books. The other store's assistant (who was a little more understanding) said "Yeah, we get them shipped to us in plastic skips, no packaging at all really..." :eek:

That's like a new car dealer saying, "It's only a little scratch. The car will run just as good with or without it."

Tommy
05-26-2018, 12:28 PM
I'm told my B&N has firsts (I don't know when I will get a chance to go look) but they put those damn discount stickers on the cover. They usually damage the jackets depending upon the material. Anyone know if they peel off this material easily or does it get messed up in the process?

Randall Flagg
05-26-2018, 12:32 PM
I'm told my B&N has firsts (I don't know when I will get a chance to go look) but they put those damn discount stickers on the cover. They usually damage the jackets depending upon the material. Anyone know if they peel off this material easily or does it get messed up in the process?
Usually with patience cover stickers can be removed with no damage or residue.

RichardX
05-26-2018, 12:32 PM

Would avoid them if possible. Walmart does the same thing. At best it leaves a sticky residue when you remove it.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-26-2018, 12:33 PM
Mine from Meijer left a sticky residue but I got most of it off by gently dabbing it with a piece of scotch tape.

Tommy
05-26-2018, 12:36 PM

Would avoid them if possible. Walmart does the same thing. At best it leaves a sticky residue when you remove it.

I know! It sucks! Sometimes they peel right off, no problem, but from what everyone is saying about the jackets, I'm not hopeful. :(
40% off with member discount too.

Randall Flagg
05-26-2018, 12:40 PM
The Collecting tutorials section is your friend:

HOW TO: Remove Stickers from Books (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1363-HOW-TO-Remove-Stickers-from-Books)

richardsrarebooks
05-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Stickers will come off using lighter fluid. Doesn't leave any stains either.

Ricky
05-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Sam's Club didn't have ANY copies...OR Wal-mart. What gives?

Hunchback Jack
05-26-2018, 01:50 PM

I can understand why she doesn't get it. But she's wrong. ;)

Managed to find alternative copies in another store in a town nearby. Even then I struggled to find good copies amongst the piles of books. The other store's assistant (who was a little more understanding) said "Yeah, we get them shipped to us in plastic skips, no packaging at all really..." :eek:

Just reading that made my blood run cold.

Brian861
05-26-2018, 01:55 PM

We really appreciate the time and effort you put into searching out the best copies for us, Simon.

Brian861
05-26-2018, 01:57 PM
I'm willing to go on a trek around town here if anyone is in need of a 1st/1st. Probably be a day or two before I'll have time though. PM if interested. Adam (Father Cody) has several copies too.

Father Cody
05-26-2018, 05:07 PM
I'm willing to go on a trek around town here if anyone is in need of a 1st/1st. Probably be a day or two before I'll have time though. PM if interested. Adam (Father Cody) has several copies too.

Four left. I’m going to take some pictures of them so anyone interested is sure they’re in the condition they want (they all look good to me but there’s a little scuffing on some and very very small bumps on the corners of some). I don’t think any (including mine) are “Fine” after reading some of the posts about this book. In fact, I’m not sure I have any fine books at all anymore.

Also happy to go shopping for more if there’s a need.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-26-2018, 09:42 PM
My ebook and audiobook are in perfect condition. No brodarts required. Both are 1st printings.

stroppygoblin
05-27-2018, 01:11 AM
My ebook and audiobook are in perfect condition. No brodarts required. Both are 1st printings.

If you got it from the same source as me, there is a small defect between memory location &0C2ADD3F and &0C2ADF4A1

:evil:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-27-2018, 06:48 AM

If you got it from the same source as me, there is a small defect between memory location &0C2ADD3F and &0C2ADF4A1

:evil:

Who do I complain to?

herbertwest
05-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Can someone please confirm that there is additional text in the WHSMith version? Cause I believe that 1 of the whsmith version DID have an additional text in the past

Thanks

jhanic
05-27-2018, 12:59 PM
The Waterstone edition of Doctor Sleep had an Author's Note at the beginning of the book that wasn't in any of the other editions.

John

herbertwest
05-28-2018, 01:51 AM
My mistake, thanks !

Tommy
05-28-2018, 02:56 AM
The sticker came off, no problem! My B&N has about 20 firsts in surprisingly good shape. I noticed 2 second prints mixed in. I wish I could have gotten more but funds were low. I will check back next weekend to see what remains.

Beverly Marsh
05-28-2018, 04:36 AM

We really appreciate the time and effort you put into searching out the best copies for us, Simon.

I second that!

Brian861
06-11-2018, 08:28 AM
FWIW. I ordered a reading copy on Friday from Amazon and received it yesterday. It surprisingly arrived in great condition and is a 1st/1st.

stroppygoblin
06-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Las Vegas Airport was full of 1st/1sts....

Randall Flagg
06-11-2018, 04:13 PM
Las Vegas Airport was full of 1st/1sts....
I counted 24+ on display, but only a couple were in NF+ condition.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-11-2018, 06:27 PM
I accidentally ordered two copies again from CD (I seem to do that every time), so I now have 4 1st/1sts. They look good on the shelf. One of these days I'll read one of them.

Tommy
06-20-2018, 09:46 AM
My B&N had 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th printings. Crazy!

Kongo
06-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Funny enough, when the book first came out last month I had to legitimately hunt for a good condition 1st. Now in June, I'm seeing a lot more out in the wild. Pretty odd

Father Cody
06-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Funny enough, when the book first came out last month I had to legitimately hunt for a good condition 1st. Now in June, I'm seeing a lot more out in the wild. Pretty odd

You definitely weren’t alone in that. Even CD had to hunt some down to make good on their orders.

Br!an
06-20-2018, 02:39 PM

You definitely weren’t alone in that. Even CD had to hunt some down to make good on their orders.

The bookstores don't care about a first edition. They care about sales. Their warehouses hold first, second, third, fourths, etc., editions. Whatever pallet is picked up by the forklift is shipped to the customer regardless of printing.

CD requested first editions. They do exist in the warehouses. It was just a matter of finding them and providing them. Most booksellers don't bother.

Tommy
06-20-2018, 02:45 PM
I asked a few employees of B&N about first printings of some book or another years and years ago and they all looked at me like my head fell off. I got the message. :wtf:

Father Cody
06-20-2018, 02:59 PM
CD requested first editions. They do exist in the warehouses. It was just a matter of finding them and providing them. Most booksellers don't bother.

Have to say I thought it was pretty cool of CD to find them for their customers. I wonder if they were able to exchange the later printings for firsts. Can’t imagine any of their customers would want a later printing, and I’m guessing they ordered a ton of them.

Father Cody
06-20-2018, 03:11 PM
I asked a few employees of B&N about first printings of some book or another years and years ago and they all looked at me like my head fell off. I got the message. :wtf:

I think I had a similar experience as you did when I walked up to the counter with 10 copies of The Outsider :wtf: They even remembered me when I came back to return the leftovers.

Merlin1958
06-20-2018, 07:04 PM
Stroopygoblin (Simon) is da man!!!! My UK purple copy is on the way via "Royal Mail". Does that mean a member of the monarchy will make delivery? lol

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-21-2018, 12:05 AM
Stroopygoblin (Simon) is da man!!!! My UK purple copy is on the way via "Royal Mail". Does that mean a member of the monarchy will make delivery? lol

No, but UK stamps are the only ones in the world that do not state the country on it. We only need our monarch's head.

http://www.cardcrushgreetings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/card_crush_first_class_stamp-510x600.jpg

Merlin1958
06-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Good to know, Mr. RT!!

Br!an
06-24-2018, 05:35 AM
We only need our monarch's head.

That's what the French said about Louis XVI. :wtf:

Tommy
06-24-2018, 06:28 AM
We only need our monarch's head.

That's what the French said about Louis XVI. :wtf:

:lol:

herbertwest
06-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Does anybody know what page the Kubrick & Shining reference is at?
I've been looking for it tonight but cant find it. I believe that steve explains just after that youngster (filmmaker) takes more risks or something like that, but I would like the actual quote

shaq
06-28-2018, 06:04 PM
Does anybody know what page the Kubrick & Shinin reference is at?
I've been looking for it tonight but cant find it. I believe that steve explains just after that youngster (filmmaker) takes more risks or something like that, but I would like the actual quote

It is chapter 8.

“I’ve seen Paths of Glory at least a dozen times. It’s one of Mr Kubrick’s finest. Much better than The Shining and Barry Lyndon, in my opinion, but of course he was much younger when he made it. Young artists are much more likely to be risk-takers, in my opinion.”

Quick search in Kindle. Not sure what the page number is though.

herbertwest
06-29-2018, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the quote, that's exactly what I needed !

Beverly Marsh
07-09-2018, 01:34 PM
I just want to publicly thank Simon for getting me two beautiful books! Packed well and shipped fast. Thanks for taking the time to take care of us across the pond. Much appreciated.

lotuz
07-09-2018, 01:48 PM
I could have sworn that I saw a picture of The Outsider on this site that had a fore-edge graphic of the silhouette that is on the cover... but I can't find reference to it in this thread or a few of the others in which I looked.

Did I imagine this? If not, what edition is it, and does anyone know of any that are up for sale? I think fore-edge art is really cool and am intrigued...

EXPLORER
07-09-2018, 01:56 PM
I could have sworn that I saw a picture of The Outsider on this site that had a fore-edge graphic of the silhouette that is on the cover... but I can't find reference to it in this thread or a few of the others in which I looked.

Did I imagine this? If not, what edition is it, and does anyone know of any that are up for sale? I think fore-edge art is really cool and am intrigued...

I think it was on a UK PROOF.. ?

See Stephen King Proof Tread page 239, post #5975

The Library Policeman
07-09-2018, 02:06 PM

You can see it in Jon’s collection here:

post #3887

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18338-Book-Collection-jonp/page156

lotuz
07-09-2018, 02:12 PM
I think it was on a UK PROOF.. ?

You can see it in Jon’s collection here:

post #3887

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18338-Book-Collection-jonp/page156

Thank you!! Seems this might be a bit scarce, but if anyone has a line to one, please let me know :)

herbertwest
07-10-2018, 01:11 AM

My pictures are here :
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?443-Stephen-King-Proofs&p=1106260&viewfull=1#post1106260

stroppygoblin
07-10-2018, 03:26 AM
I just want to publicly thank Simon for getting me two beautiful books! Packed well and shipped fast. Thanks for taking the time to take care of us across the pond. Much appreciated.

My pleasure Lori - pleased to help :thumbsup:

Brian861
07-10-2018, 05:51 AM

Couldn't agree more, Lori and I keep piling stuff onto the poor guy. Gonna need a freightliner come fall.

stroppygoblin
07-10-2018, 07:36 AM

Couldn't agree more, Lori and I keep piling stuff onto the poor guy. Gonna need a freightliner come fall.

Don't feel too bad, I'm making a fortune renting all your books out as read/return copies.....:evil:

Brian861
07-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Don't feel too bad, I'm making a fortune renting all your books out as read/return copies.....:evil:

:wtf: +1

Beverly Marsh
07-11-2018, 05:22 AM

:wtf: +1

Touche' Simon :biggrin1: