PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk Vinyl

Matt
02-15-2008, 05:06 PM
I know at least Brice loves collecting music on the classic format but I understand that vinyl is undergoing a serious come back.

Couple of reasons:

1. Vinyl is a medium that will last for literally hundreds of years if well taken care of. The groove does not degrade.

2. It is an amazing way to release things limited now. There is no way to easily convert vinyl to digital format so people who issue stuff on that medium do not have to worry about being immediately pirated.

CBS Sunday Morning said that studies have proven that the human ear is not capable of picking up the difference in formats (cd's are data in very packages that play one after the other too quickly to hear)

Vinyl is obviously a groove that is literally continuous . Cassette tapes were essentially a recorded version of a vinyl record.

I don't actually have a vinyl collection as I'm not much of a music guy but I would be interested to see what you guys think. :fairy:

Telynn
02-15-2008, 05:41 PM
I still have my Peaches crate full of albums. Unfortunatly no turn table to play them on anymore.

jayson
02-16-2008, 04:08 AM
Good thread Matt. I love the sound of analog recordings. In audio terms, it's a "warmer" sound. Perhaps it's my ears, but I appreciate tone much better on vinyl. I worked at a radio station for awhile and took advantage of the equip archiving my vinyl to data cds. now i can listen to my vinyl on my iPod.

Tel - look into USB turntables, you'll be able to listent to your albums all the time again.

Jon
02-16-2008, 04:24 AM
Plenty of vinyl here.

And look what I inherited.

It has a great needle and a spare one which is still sealed in the package, and of course it has the 45 adapter.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/walterodim_photos/10-22-07023.jpg

jayson
02-16-2008, 05:00 AM
that's awesome Jon!

funky dredd
02-16-2008, 08:19 AM
I know at least Brice loves collecting music on the classic format but I understand that vinyl is undergoing a serious come back.

Couple of reasons:

1. Vinyl is a medium that will last for literally hundreds of years if well taken care of. The groove does not degrade.

2. It is an amazing way to release things limited now. There is no way to easily convert vinyl to digital format so people who issue stuff on that medium do not have to worry about being immediately pirated.

CBS Sunday Morning said that studies have proven that the human ear is not capable of picking up the difference in formats (cd's are data in very packages that play one after the other too quickly to hear)

Vinyl is obviously a groove that is literally continuous . Cassette tapes were essentially a recorded version of a vinyl record.

I don't actually have a vinyl collection as I'm not much of a music guy but I would be interested to see what you guys think. :fairy:

Statement #2 is false. 9 out of 10 times the promo will be out in digital format before the vinyl hits the shelf (illegally). It takes no time at all to rip a track and have it in digital format. I have been Djing since '92 and have been a collector since 1978, I still have all of my equipment (they'll have to pry it out of my dead hands to get it) and records.
As for statement #1 and the vinyl degradation bit...I have quite a few records that have degraded over time, but I will say that it was more from the fog machines than from playing them. So you really have to clean them good if you play them at a club.

Great thread...if you want some of my sets just let me know. :)

Matt
02-16-2008, 08:34 AM
That's too bad about number one. I thought the idea of it was pretty cool.

So basically anyone who got the vinyl production could rip it digitally? Would that take serious equipment? Or you are saying that people involved in the production of the vinyl would rip and release it before it could ever be put out legally?

If its the second one, wouldn't there be a way to run say...1000 copies in a control (close friends or trusted business or whatever) and keep that from happening?

OchrisO
02-16-2008, 08:37 AM
From what I understand, you can buy record players that have a usb connection to hook into your computer and easily rip them.

Edited to add:

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1401&src_t=wnp

Matt
02-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Well there you go dammit!!

:lol:

So I guess it would be the people who they were distributed to that you really need to worry about. But at least there would be a short lag time I guess.

funky dredd
02-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I've seen promos show up 2 months before they are actually released. But the legal way to get those promos would be in a record pool. Also you have to watch out for those members as well because they can do the ripping too.

Darkthoughts
02-16-2008, 10:29 AM
I didn't know about those USB thingers. Thats cool, I've got a load of great jazz and old beatles vinyl my dad gave me :rock:

jayson
02-16-2008, 12:00 PM
I didn't know about those USB thingers. Thats cool, I've got a load of great jazz and old beatles vinyl my dad gave me :rock:

those were the two things i had on vinyl i most wanted commited to cd for archiving as well.

Jon
02-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Hooking a "record player" to a USB is not rocket science and is cheap.

How do I know...I have a "friend" who had done it over and over.

Darkthoughts
02-17-2008, 04:21 AM
A "friend"? Sheep have vinyl? :P

funky dredd
02-17-2008, 08:10 AM
baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad friend!

Matt
02-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Okay, so a person can easily lay it down digitally but doesn't that do the same thing as putting it on a CD?

Parse the music into digital packets?

So even a USB turntable will never be the actual continious groove like the vinal

jayson
02-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Okay, so a person can easily lay it down digitally but doesn't that do the same thing as putting it on a CD?

Parse the music into digital packets?

So even a USB turntable will never be the actual continious groove like the vinal

oh but you can, once you've ripped it from vinyl to digital you can than burn that to cd. i've done it plenty and it sounds like vinyl when you listen to it.

Frunobulax
02-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I've transfered only one of my at least 100 records (the Dirty Projectors LP The Glad Fact for the bonus track), and I used a 1/4"-->1/8" adapter into my computer's sound card/mic line input. But USB would be better.

As for quality wars, well vinyl is much warmer, cannot peak (if it does, the needle physically jumps out of the groove) like many CDs do today, and vinyl just tends to envelop a room better than digital formats in my opinion. Prime example of the first two points: Radiohead's Hail To The Thief on CD versus vinyl. I own the normal EMI CD, a super clean vinyl transfer, and the unmastered leaked promo version. Doing an A/B comparison of the CD and the vinyl, the CD tends to veer into distortion during louder parts and the guitars can sound distant when acoustic--the vinyl doesn't have either of these issues, and actually does sound superior.

jayson
02-18-2008, 12:27 PM
As for quality wars, well vinyl is much warmer, cannot peak (if it does, the needle physically jumps out of the groove) like many CDs do today, and vinyl just tends to envelop a room better than digital formats in my opinion. Prime example of the first two points: Radiohead's Hail To The Thief on CD versus vinyl. I own the normal EMI CD, a super clean vinyl transfer, and the unmastered leaked promo version. Doing an A/B comparison of the CD and the vinyl, the CD tends to veer into distortion during louder parts and the guitars can sound distant when acoustic--the vinyl doesn't have either of these issues, and actually does sound superior.

Excellent points!

Patrick
02-20-2008, 09:00 PM
I still have the "Hotel California" album by The Eagles on vinyl.

That's how old I am.

:lol:

http://www.discogs.com/image/R-588440-1135256400.jpeg

funky dredd
02-21-2008, 05:46 AM
I have it to ;)
My treasure though is the first KISS album!
http://www.discogs.com/release/776636

Brice
02-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Oh, that's pretty sweet. :D

I'm not sure what my one treasure is. Maybe my Metallica-Metal Up your Ass, or original 2 disc TMOQ boot of a Led Zeppelin show on red and purple vinyl, or Grateful Dead-Historic Dead, or my sealed Fleetwood Mac-Rumours, oror... :panic: I can't pick. :lol:

Scoogs
02-24-2008, 02:39 PM
I only have a very small vinyl collection, but eventually I'll get a new turntable and have an excuse to buy more.

Got the In Rainbows disc box for Christmas, so I'd like to be able to play that at some point. Otherwise all I really have on vinyl are some Smashing Pumpkings albums, Beastie Boy promos, Modest Mouse, Beatles and a stack of my mom's old 45s.

Jon
02-25-2008, 06:12 AM
To show my age. I have a Herman's Hermits 45. My wife has the Grease sound track (UHG!) on vinyl.

*Opens his "Queen - Live Killers" double album. A few roundish seeds roll out.*

How do you suppose those got there???:evil:

blackrose22
02-27-2008, 04:26 AM
The sound of vinyl also depends on the length of the music on it. Usually if its more than 20 minutes long the sound is a lot more thinner and lower in volume. That's why bands use to release 12" singles on vinyl. One song on one side as the groove was a lot more wider and gave a better sound. Thinner the groove the lower the quality the sound will be.
The only thing I really miss about the vinyl format is the sleeves which gave you the full artwork not like the condensed CD format. If it was a double sleeve than even better.

frango
05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Frunobulax, is there any way you can send me an mp3 of the untitled track from the Glad Fact vinyl?

Frunobulax
05-29-2008, 09:24 PM
frango, if you gave me a few minutes I could up it to MediaFire and PM you the link tomorrow.

Frunobulax
05-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Found some original Big Black and Rapeman on vinyl earlier this year/late last year. I have to say, Songs About Fucking rules on vinyl.

Frunobulax
05-29-2008, 09:48 PM
frango and all other Projectors fans:
http://www.mediafire.com/?j76fmrmd4jx

frango
05-30-2008, 06:06 PM
thank you so much, i've been searching for this forever

Frunobulax
05-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Forever seems a tad over exaggerated, but I'm glad to help out. It's actually a great tune, shame D-Lo left it off of the CD.