PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #11: Lisey's Story (2006)

mae
02-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Lisey's Story, 2006
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Lisey_s_Story_face.jpg

Please vote for Lisey's Story (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisey%27s_Story) using the following scale:

Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

amd013
02-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Wished I could give this book a negative number. By far the most annoying and uninteresting book I ever read. Was a real struggle to get through, and could only read it 2 pages at a time. Forced myself to finish it, just so I could say I finished it (so someday can say I have read all his published books).

It pains me to hear this is one of his favorite books.

St. Troy
02-20-2018, 01:54 PM

A very good book. Supernatural, but so much more than that: childhood, marriage, grieving - almost like a micro-scale It in some ways.

For anyone who hasn't read it: ignore my build-up, go into it expecting nothing, and be surprised. This book doesn't come at you like a hurricane; more like a gradually rising tide.

Iwritecode
02-20-2018, 01:59 PM
Wished I could give this book a negative number. By far the most annoying and uninteresting book I ever read. Was a real struggle to get through, and could only read it 2 pages at a time. Forced myself to finish it, just so I could say I finished it (so someday can say I have read all his published books).

Same. It took me forever to get through this book reading a couple of pages here and a couple of pages there.The way it's written really confused me and it was difficult to keep the story straight at the beginning.

Heather19
02-20-2018, 02:39 PM
I recently re-read this one for a book club I go to. I used to really hate this book. The first time I read it I really struggled and had to force myself to finish it. And once I did, I thought what a complete waste of time. This was easily one of my least favorite King. That said, when I had to go back and re-read it I decided on the audiobook version. This definitely made it much easier to get through. The narrator was wonderful, and I have a long commute so I was able to listen to the whole thing in about a week, so at least this time it didn't drag on. And surprisingly I actually found myself really enjoying the portions of the book about Scott's past. Sadly they were very few. I wish the whole book was just about him growing up in that crazy family. If that was the case it would probably be one of my favorites. So since I was able to love portions of the book my rating has increased from last time to a 2.

jsmcmullen92
02-21-2018, 06:32 AM
this is the most spread out vote yet. Interesting too because King mentions this as his favorite.

WeDealInLead
02-21-2018, 07:12 AM
There were a few parts I enjoyed, but even being reminded of this book makes me angry.

Randall Flagg
02-21-2018, 07:41 AM

Gave it a zero. Still haven't finished it. I read 2 pages a month, then throw it back on the shelf. It's almost (for me) impenetrable.

Sai Sheb
02-21-2018, 02:05 PM
Wow really surprised at the negative comments!
I loved this book. I real love story with other dimensions, monsters and fucked up childhoods! I would love the story of Paul's childhood also... we all go down to our pools and wish we didn't have to come back but tear ourselves away.. it made scenes. 5

amd013
02-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Maybe that's why I don't like the book, I don't read SK for love stories. But I was also annoyed with all the drama with the sisters, and of course the language, sheesh! Even the "good" parts seemed to be a rehash of Secret Window, Secret Garden (IIRC)

fernandito
02-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Never read, have no inclination to, really.

Jean
02-21-2018, 10:57 PM
I loved this book. I real love story with other dimensions, monsters and fucked up childhoods!sounds like what most of us love, or else why would we be here at all http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif.html)
Regrettably, the story didn't seem (to me) to be focused on all those delicacies, but they were watered down with totally unpalatable stuff.
Gave it a 3, though, there actually were some good things. Especially comparing with some of the later SK works.

Jon
02-24-2018, 08:09 PM
yes... not his best work so...3... but a love story from King gives it an additional 0.5.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-25-2018, 01:27 PM
0. Hated it. Loathed it. Fished like 6 other books while I was reading it. Will not read it again.

mae
02-28-2018, 06:09 AM
The poll has closed. Lisey's Story has earned a FAS (final average score) of 2.850000000 or 57.00%. It received a rating of 4 with 7 votes.

St. Troy
02-28-2018, 06:21 AM
Surprised at the poor reception LS received; I never knew I was virtually alone.