PDA

View Full Version : David Morrell's King manuscripts

Bev Vincent
01-17-2018, 10:24 AM
From his twitter feed (https://twitter.com/_DavidMorrell/status/953661548425129984):

In my office I recently found eight @StephenKing typescripts (IT, MISERY, THE DARK HALF etc.) that he sent me in the 1980s. I forgot I had them. They're going to be auctioned to help children's cancer research.

King has agreed to sign the manuscripts. Some of them contain annotations by King and some may represent versions of novels that are different than the published books. Stay tuned for more details as they become available.

Patrick
01-17-2018, 10:33 AM
This will be interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-17-2018, 11:31 AM
I'd run out and buy a lottery ticket, but the odds are against me.

east-tennessee
01-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Any info on the Auctions? links ect.........

Bev Vincent
01-18-2018, 03:46 AM
Any info on the Auctions? links ect.........

Not yet. Details still being worked out.

herbertwest
03-07-2018, 03:18 AM
Any news on this?

The only thing that I could find was from september :
https://www.facebook.com/DavidMorrellAuthor/posts/1471704772920177

Ari_Racing
03-07-2018, 02:02 PM
Gerald Winters has been posting pictures of the manuscripts. I'd guess he'll handle the auctions.

surly
03-11-2018, 01:33 PM
From his twitter feed (https://twitter.com/_DavidMorrell/status/953661548425129984):

[INDENT]In my office I recently found eight @StephenKing typescripts...

If this is best addressed in another thread, please feel free to move it.

Is it still considered a typescript if it is a photocopy? I always thought a typescript was a first generation piece directly typed on a typewriter and I am (perhaps) wrongly assuming that these would be copies. If these are indeed photocopies, would collectors still value them if they were not signed or is it the provenance of them where the value lies? I think it would be really cool to have something directly from King's typewriter, or a submission manuscript with provenance, but one of (presumably) an indeterminate number of photocopies doesn't really scratch my collecting itch. It would be fun to read a pre-publication copy of a known work, but i don't know that i would be willing to pay a premium for it. I know we all collect differently though; do you think these will go for a high value?

Phalucha
03-11-2018, 01:49 PM

[INDENT]In my office I recently found eight @StephenKing typescripts...

If this is best addressed in another thread, please feel free to move it.

Is it still considered a typescript if it is a photocopy? I always thought a typescript was a first generation piece directly typed on a typewriter and I am (perhaps) wrongly assuming that these would be copies. If these are indeed photocopies, would collectors still value them if they were not signed or is it the provenance of them where the value lies? I think it would be really cool to have something directly from King's typewriter, or a submission manuscript with provenance, but one of (presumably) an indeterminate number of photocopies doesn't really scratch my collecting itch. It would be fun to read a pre-publication copy of a known work, but i don't know that i would be willing to pay a premium for it. I know we all collect differently though; do you think these will go for a high value?

I agree with this distinction. I find many collectors are equating photocopies with manuscripts.

webstar1000
03-11-2018, 02:17 PM
These will cause they are signed and for charity. BIG money but they are just copies.... and I have no interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randall Flagg
03-11-2018, 04:33 PM
A copy of a $100 bill is a copy. Unless there is some extremely compelling reason, a copy of a $100 is worth nothing. In fact it's a negative.

I suppose if SK himself would personalize a "copy" of an important manuscript, and it was auctioned for charity; people would overbid (IMO).

Bev Vincent
03-12-2018, 04:11 AM
These will cause they are signed and for charity. BIG money but they are just copies.... and I have no interest.

More than signed -- in some cases they are annotated by King, and these notes aren't photocopies, they're original writing.

webstar1000
03-12-2018, 04:27 AM

More than signed -- in some cases they are annotated by King, and these notes aren't photocopies, they're original writing.

Are you sure Bev? I was under the understanding this was a copy sent to Morrell to look over?

Bev Vincent
03-12-2018, 06:02 AM

Are you sure Bev? I was under the understanding this was a copy sent to Morrell to look over?

Yes, but Steve made notes on the manuscripts, directing David's attention to certain passages.

webstar1000
03-12-2018, 07:17 AM

Yes, but Steve made notes on the manuscripts, directing David's attention to certain passages.

Thanks Bev. Definitely value added for that!!

Randall Flagg
04-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Update?

Bev Vincent
04-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Update?

From his twitter (https://twitter.com/_DavidMorrell/status/980928910576664576): Mark your calendars for the late-May auction of Stephen King typescripts he sent me in the 1980s, including IT, MISERY, and the never finished screenplay for THE NIGHTFLIER. The auction will benefit the Matt Morrell and Natalie Sanchez pediatric cancer research fund.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZz1kMuU8AETKnT.jpg

Gerald has been posting pictures on his Facebook page, too.