PDA

View Full Version : Elevation: A Castle Rock novel (out October 30, 2018)

Bev Vincent
12-22-2017, 07:46 AM
From the EW interview (http://ew.com/books/2017/12/22/stephen-king-pennywise-it-entertainers-of-the-year/): "I’ve written another novella called Elevation, which is also a Castle Rock story and, in some ways, it’s almost like a sequel to Gwendy. Sometimes you seed the ground, and you get a little fertilizer, and things turn out."

Later in the interview, he says it's longer than Gwendy's Button Box.

mae
12-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Awesome news :excited:

WeDealInLead
12-22-2017, 09:48 AM
I hope this story actually has something to do with Castle Rock.

BountyHunter
12-28-2017, 01:48 PM
When is this supposed to be out?

Bev Vincent
12-28-2017, 02:19 PM
When is this supposed to be out?

It isn't slated for publication anywhere yet.

herbertwest
02-07-2018, 03:43 AM
Per Stephen King's official website :

Elevation
By Stephen King
Release Date: October 30th, 2018

The latest from legendary master storyteller Stephen King, a riveting, extraordinarily eerie, and moving story about a man whose mysterious affliction brings a small town together—a timely, upbeat tale about finding common ground despite deep-rooted differences.

Although Scott Carey doesn’t look any different, he’s been steadily losing weight. There are a couple of other odd things, too. He weighs the same in his clothes and out of them, no matter how heavy they are. Scott doesn’t want to be poked and prodded. He mostly just wants someone else to know, and he trusts Doctor Bob Ellis.

In the small town of Castle Rock, the setting of many of King’s most iconic stories, Scott is engaged in a low grade—but escalating—battle with the lesbians next door whose dog regularly drops his business on Scott’s lawn. One of the women is friendly; the other, cold as ice. Both are trying to launch a new restaurant, but the people of Castle Rock want no part of a gay married couple, and the place is in trouble. When Scott finally understands the prejudices they face – including his own -- he tries to help. Unlikely alliances, the annual foot race, and the mystery of Scott’s affliction bring out the best in people who have indulged the worst in themselves and others.

From Stephen King, our “most precious renewable resource, like Shakespeare in the malleability of his work” (The Guardian), Elevation is an antidote to our divisive culture, as gloriously joyful (with a twinge of deep sadness) as “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

>>> https://stephenking.com/library/novella/elevation.html

Ricky
02-07-2018, 05:11 AM
Is that an early April Fool's prank? That synopsis sounds terrible (and is jarringly written).

NoAttitudeThisTime
02-07-2018, 07:39 AM
Looking forward to it. Despite the synopsis that could have used a rewrite

you ever seen a ghost?
02-07-2018, 09:18 AM
assume this is from Scribner and not CD?

mae
02-07-2018, 09:37 AM
assume this is from Scribner and not CD?

According to Amazon:

Hardcover: 144 pages
Publisher: Scribner (October 30, 2018)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1982102314
ISBN-13: 978-1982102319

Bev Vincent
02-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Anyone else figure out the homage yet?

St. Troy
02-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Gran Torino?

Bev Vincent
02-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Gran Torino?

Nope.

mae
02-07-2018, 10:35 AM
How is this related to the plot of the book? :beat:

stroppygoblin
02-07-2018, 10:40 AM
We have a thread for this - please take it there. I will move these posts shortly.

UPDATE: Posts moved here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17819-King-on-Twitter/page6)

herbertwest
02-07-2018, 10:43 AM

Is ELEVATION dedicated to TRUMP?

Bev Vincent
02-07-2018, 10:45 AM

The main character's name...

BigJoeHillfan
02-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Doesn't sound great to me.... His last 2 books have been average in my opinion and this doesn't sound much better. I am hoping the Outsider is good. If not I my be skipping this book.:rolleyes2:

frik
02-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Skipping a new King?? Impossible!

sk

herbertwest
02-07-2018, 12:39 PM

The main character's name...

"The shrinking man"?
That's funny ! Can I ask of it's just an hommage or there is more to it?

Ari_Racing
02-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Matheson's work?

Cordial Jim
02-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Matheson's work?

It most certainly is. One of the all-time great stories! I can't wait to read Elevation. It sounds great! :)

http://magnum-mania.com/images/books-81.jpg
http://magnum-mania.com/images/books-82.jpg

Girlystevedave
02-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Is that an early April Fool's prank? That synopsis sounds terrible (and is jarringly written).

Yeah, I've read that synopsis more than once and don't understand what's happening. :lol:

Ricky
02-14-2018, 09:29 AM
I'm glad it wasn't just me. What is it even about? I can't tell the tone, either.

Girlystevedave
02-14-2018, 09:51 AM
Ricky, it's about a man with an affliction who has some lesbian neighbors whose dog poops in his yard. :cyclops:

Ricky
02-14-2018, 05:38 PM
If he made it a Mr. Mercedes crossover, Bill Hodges could investigate which of the lesbians let the dog poop in the man's yard. :lol:

Girlystevedave
02-15-2018, 06:50 AM
If he made it a Mr. Mercedes crossover, Bill Hodges could investigate which of the lesbians let the dog poop in the man's yard. :lol:

:lol: !

It sounds like straight-up-edge-of-your-seat suspense.

NoAttitudeThisTime
02-15-2018, 10:19 AM
The butler did it. Or it was Molly A.K.A. The Thing of Evil

mae
05-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Amazon has the "cover to be unveiled" cover:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/818ugpf4MPL.jpg

Hunchback Jack
05-08-2018, 04:53 PM
Hmm, they are calling it a novel. I wonder if King expanded it, or Amazon are mistaken?

ETA: I guess 144 pages is a short novel.

mae
05-29-2018, 02:53 PM
And now the official cover has been revealed. It's being billed as a novel:

http://ew.com/books/2018/05/29/stephen-king-elevation-first-look/

Finished reading The Outsider? Because there’s another Stephen King book coming your way this year.

The beloved best-selling author will next publish Elevation, a short novella that returns to his Castle Rock setting but strikes a blessedly different tone. Described as a rebuke to our divisive culture, Elevation tells a story that’s joyful, uplifting, and tinged with sadness.

Here’s the official synopsis: “Although Scott Carey doesn’t look any different, he’s been steadily losing weight. There are a couple of other odd things, too. He weighs the same in his clothes and out of them, no matter how heavy they are. Scott doesn’t want to be poked and prodded. He mostly just wants someone else to know, and he trusts Doctor Bob Ellis.

“In the small town of Castle Rock … Scott is engaged in a low-grade — but escalating — battle with the lesbians next door whose dog regularly drops his business on Scott’s lawn. One of the women is friendly; the other, cold as ice. Both are trying to launch a new restaurant, but the people of Castle Rock want no part of a gay married couple, and the place is in trouble. When Scott finally understands the prejudices they face — including his own — he tries to help. Unlikely alliances, the annual foot race, and the mystery of Scott’s affliction bring out the best in people who have indulged the worst in themselves and others.”

King has exclusively shared the Elevation cover with EW, as well as a tasty bite-sized excerpt. Read on below, and pre-order Elevation ahead of its Oct. 30 release here.

Excerpt from Elevation, by Stephen King

Scott Carey knocked on the door of the Ellis condo unit, and Bob Ellis (everyone in Highland Acres still called him Doctor Bob, although he was five years retired) let him in. “Well, Scott, here you are. Ten on the dot. Now what can I do for you?”

Scott was a big man, six-feet-four in his stocking feet, with a bit of a belly growing in front. “I’m not sure. Probably nothing, but . . . I have a problem. I hope not a big one, but it might be.”

“One you don’t want to talk to your regular doctor about?” Ellis was seventy-four, with thinning silver hair and a small limp that didn’t slow him down much on the tennis court.

“Oh, I went,” Scott said, “and got a checkup. Which was overdue. Bloodwork, urine, prostate, the whole nine yards. Everything checked out. It was diabetes I was worried about. WebMD suggested that was the most likely.”

Ellis led him into the living room, where a big bay window overlooked the fourteenth green of the Castle Rock gated community where he and his wife now lived.

“I’m losing weight,” Scott said abruptly. “That’s what’s on my mind. It’s sort of funny, you know. I used to steer clear of the bathroom scale, because these last ten years or so, I haven’t been crazy about the news I got from it. Now I’m on it first thing every morning.”

“I’m sure you know that weight-loss isn’t just a marker for diabetes, Scott, it’s a marker for cancer. Among other things. How much weight are we talking about?”

“Twenty-eight pounds. So far.”

Excerpted from Elevation by Stephen King. Copyright © 2018 by Stephen King. Reprinted with permission of Scribner, a Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/011.jpg

NoAttitudeThisTime
05-30-2018, 11:09 AM
Could this short excerpt be in the actual magazine? Or is it more likely to be an online exclusive?

Bev Vincent
05-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Could this short excerpt be in the actual magazine? Or is it more likely to be an online exclusive?

The summer preview double issue (June 1/8) is the next out and makes no mention of King on the cover, so I expect it's online only.

Ricky
05-30-2018, 03:16 PM
I still can't get a feel for the tone of this one. :orely:

mae
06-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Amazon now has the cover with no EW watermark:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81J1fpDialL.jpg

Cordial Jim
06-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Interesting story. Can't wait to read it. But I don't care who you are: gay, straight, bi, trans... If you don't pick up your dog's poop, then to hell with you! (unless it's in the woods, then it's ok) :)

RichardX
06-06-2018, 03:57 AM
Third straight story/book with an important dog walking scene. I guess we know what King is doing in his spare time.

Heather19
06-06-2018, 05:41 AM
:lol: I can't tell you how many times I've been out in public areas, hiking, beach trails, sidewalk... where people have left their dog's poop right in the middle of the path. I once stepped in it while hiking on a heavily travelled trail and had to go find a stream to try to wash some of it off. It was beyond disgusting, and luckily I had another pair of shoes in the car. But yes, those people shouldn't be allowed out if they're not going to pick up their mess.

mae
06-06-2018, 06:21 AM
:lol: I can't tell you how many times I've been out in public areas, hiking, beach trails, sidewalk... where people have left their dog's poop right in the middle of the path. I once stepped in it while hiking on a heavily travelled trail and had to go find a stream to try to wash some of it off. It was beyond disgusting, and luckily I had another pair of shoes in the car. But yes, those people shouldn't be allowed out if they're not going to pick up their mess.

Oh, Heather, no! That's awful :(

Where I go hiking every once in a while there are lots of ducks and sometimes you need to navigate their poop on the trails, so people's dogs adding to that would just be too much.

St. Troy
06-06-2018, 06:30 AM
It's biodegradable - what's the problem? :)

Vern
06-07-2018, 05:05 AM
The UK cover, which I much prefer to the US one.

https://i.imgur.com/MWSgxnb.jpg

mae
06-07-2018, 05:07 AM
I really don't like the font they always use for "Stephen King" in the UK. Could just be me.

mikeC
06-07-2018, 05:32 AM
I really don't like the font they always use for "Stephen King" in the UK. Could just be me.

Agreed, It's very bland and wimpy.

herbertwest
06-07-2018, 06:03 AM
The UK cover, which I much prefer to the US one.

https://i.imgur.com/MWSgxnb.jpg

I prefer the american

mae
06-08-2018, 07:12 AM
I'm still not sure what the title is referring to, is it "elevation" in the sense of raising the level of communication in the community?

Brainslinger
06-08-2018, 08:34 AM

Coincidentally,* this very day, (just 2-3 hours ago, I’m still in a Cafe in town right now) taking the countryside walk into town, I was walking a path between two lakes, and there, strewn across the path, a whole lot of dog poo.

Thankfully, this is quite a rare experience in this area.

What I really hate, are those times I didn’t notice at the time, only to get the smell after entering the house....

And so as not to go off topic too much, I like both those covers. Nice to see the UK one has a little gag!

*or would that be ka? Definitely kaka.

Bev Vincent
06-08-2018, 09:28 AM
I'm still not sure what the title is referring to, is it "elevation" in the sense of raising the level of communication in the community?

In one sense.

Brian861
06-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Actually prefer the US cover for this title. I'm usually a UK cover fan.

WeDealInLead
06-09-2018, 04:38 AM
Third straight story/book with an important dog walking scene. I guess we know what King is doing in his spare time.

Maybe he's trying to outKoontz Koontz.

Bev Vincent
07-31-2018, 07:27 AM
King is reading the audiobook version. See the announcement here: https://twitter.com/skdotcom_news/status/1024284549688291328

Brian861
07-31-2018, 07:41 AM
King is reading the audiobook version. See the announcement here: https://twitter.com/skdotcom_news/status/1024284549688291328

That's great news!

kimmysawi
08-06-2018, 02:40 AM
Is that an early April Fool's prank? PhenQ Review (https://phenq-reviews.com/) That synopsis sounds terrible (and is jarringly written).

This was the best time to make these pranks ;)

mae
10-13-2018, 07:16 PM
Amazon has the back cover:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81a91dibPZL.jpg

Girlystevedave
10-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Am I the only one still sort of lost on the premise/feel of this book? :lol:

I don't remember ever reading such a vague synopsis.

mae
10-17-2018, 11:50 AM
It's got fireworks apparently? :unsure:

Girlystevedave
10-17-2018, 11:58 AM
:lol:

It's almost like it's a joke or something. I mean, a guy losing weight rapidly..Is this Thinner part 2, or? Also, I remember seeing another author by the name Stephen King once (with either a different spelling or with an added middle initial) and I keep feeling like we're gonna found out this book is by that guy. I know that can't be the case since King himself has mentioned this book, but the whole situation is just weird. :lol:

mae
10-17-2018, 12:03 PM
Those lucky few that have read it already say it's some of King's best work.

St. Troy
10-17-2018, 12:05 PM
It struck me as Under The Dome (disagreeable neighbors) without the aliens and death, which paves the way for a greater understanding or something.

herbertwest
10-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Nope
The UK cover fits better with the story

https://club-stephenking.fr/wp-content/uploads/ELEVATION-de-stephenking-hodder.jpg

Bev Vincent
10-17-2018, 12:41 PM
There are fireworks, and it does involve weight loss, but it's more kin to The Shrinking Man by Matheson than to Thinner.

Roseannebarr
10-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Really? I thought it was a mediocre Joe Hill story. :frown2: I found myself puzzled for a few minutes and then forgot about the whole thing after that.

I liked every book of his better than this. Even Gwendys.

herbertwest
10-17-2018, 12:53 PM
Oh shit, did I really forget / didnt notice the fireworks???

Roseannebarr
10-17-2018, 01:21 PM

Really? I thought it was a mediocre Joe Hill story. :frown2: I found myself puzzled for a few minutes and then forgot about the whole thing after that.

I liked every book of his better than this. Even Gwendys.

I really had to think hard to remember the fireworks. Lower your expectations and you might like the book more than I did.

Ricky
10-17-2018, 02:30 PM
I've seen a lot of good comments/reviews, too, but I'm still skeptical after the disappointments of Sleeping Beauties, The Outsider, and Gwendy's.

No! I still have no idea. I still am thinking back to the first synopsis that mentioned the lesbian neighbors and a pooping dog. :lol:

It got to the point where each synopsis I was like, "I still don't understand what this is. I'll just wait to read it." :lol:

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-17-2018, 03:51 PM
The Outsider was terrific, the best King book in a long time. I suppose Elevation is to be taken as a light read, an upbeat tale that perhaps isn't that strong or memorable as so many of King's works. Sort of like the Bill Hodges books. I'm sure I will like it, but I hope we will get something grand as...say, a new Dark Tower novel :)

Girlystevedave
10-18-2018, 09:10 AM
I've seen a lot of good comments/reviews, too, but I'm still skeptical after the disappointments of Sleeping Beauties, The Outsider, and Gwendy's.

No! I still have no idea. I still am thinking back to the first synopsis that mentioned the lesbian neighbors and a pooping dog. :lol:

It got to the point where each synopsis I was like, "I still don't understand what this is. I'll just wait to read it." :lol:

"the lesbian neighbors and the pooping dog". :rofl:
Worst synopsis ever!

It's like, with each synopsis, we know less and less. Much like the character from the book is shrinking, so is our understanding of things. :lol:

I know I'll read it either way, I just wish I wasn't so lost. haha

Ricky
10-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Much like the character from the book is shrinking, so is our understanding of things. :lol:

:rofl:

"You are now entering...The Twilight Zone."

Girlystevedave
10-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Much like the character from the book is shrinking, so is our understanding of things. :lol:

"You are now entering...The Twilight Zone."

Now I'm just really dying to read this thing just so I can see what the hell is going on. :lol:

Ricky
10-19-2018, 01:27 PM
I'm going to be so upset if the book is not 100% about pooping dogs. They got me all hyped up! :lol:

Merlin1958
10-19-2018, 03:35 PM
I'm going to be so upset if the book is not 100% about pooping dogs. They got me all hyped up! :lol:

:wtf::wtf:

mae
10-19-2018, 03:45 PM
With Elevation referring to elevating the poop from the lawn to the poop-bag?

Merlin1958
10-19-2018, 03:49 PM

With Elevation referring to elevating the poop from the lawn to the poop-bag?

Okay, now you guys are just full o shit!!! lol

Ricky
10-19-2018, 06:32 PM

Girlystevedave
10-22-2018, 07:55 AM

I feel like, once I read the book and get to the part with the pooping dog, I'm gonna be all excited, like: "That's it! The dog poop part!" :lol:

Bev Vincent
10-22-2018, 08:07 AM

I feel like, once I read the book and get to the part with the pooping dog, I'm gonna be all excited, like: "That's it! The dog poop part!" :lol:

I just submitted my review to News from the Dead Zone. Should be up either at the end of the week or early next week.

Ricky
10-22-2018, 09:35 AM

If it's at all like the poop scene in Dolores Claiborne, I'll be very excited. :lol:

jeffingoff
10-22-2018, 09:41 AM

If it's at all like the poop scene in Dolores Claiborne, I'll be very excited. :lol:

NOTHING beats the pooping in DREAMCATCHER.

CyberGhostface
10-22-2018, 01:20 PM

NOTHING beats the pooping in DREAMCATCHER.

I have a soft spot for this bit from Roadwork.

"He went into the bathroom, sat on the ring, and a huge diarrhea movement rushed out of him like a mail train highballing through a deserted station. His waste fell into the water with a sickening series of jets and plops that made him groan and clutch his head. He urinated without getting up, the rich and dismaying smell of his digestion’s unsavory end product rising thickly around him."

Or who can forget Mordred Poopingpants?

"He gave out a victory-fart, but although this one was long and smelly, it was silent. His asshole was now a broken squeezebox that could no longer make music but only gasp."

Ricky
10-22-2018, 02:28 PM
Oh man, those are great. No one writes poop better than King. :lol:

Bev Vincent
10-23-2018, 07:52 AM

I just submitted my review to News from the Dead Zone. Should be up either at the end of the week or early next week.

My review is now up at News from the Dead Zone.

Randall Flagg
10-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Link:
https://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/bev-vincent-reviews-elevation/

Merlin1958
10-23-2018, 09:31 AM

Nice review, Bev!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Roseannebarr
10-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Nice review, Bev!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That is the story in a nutshell! Great job!

Girlystevedave
10-23-2018, 01:25 PM

Aw man, I didn't read that one and I can't believe I feel like I'm missing something because I didn't read a poop scene. :lol:

CyberGhostface
10-28-2018, 03:04 PM
Just finished it. It was decent but didn’t blow me away. I think it might have worked better as part of an anthology.

St. Troy
10-29-2018, 08:23 AM
Link:

Main character becomes "woke" - no thanks.

Earl of Popkin
10-29-2018, 09:58 AM
Link:

Main character becomes "woke" - no thanks.

This is my fear as well - will read, but the second it starts to sound like some perpetually outraged social media profile, I’m out

CyberGhostface
10-29-2018, 02:33 PM
It's actually very tame politics-wise with the most taboo bit of commentary being "gay people are just like everyone else". Not preachy especially compared to some of the stuff in 'Sleeping Beauties'. Don't see how anyone could take offense to it (I mean obviously some will but...).

Earl of Popkin
10-29-2018, 03:13 PM
It's actually very tame politics-wise with the most taboo bit of commentary being "gay people are just like everyone else". Not preachy especially compared to some of the stuff in 'Sleeping Beauties'. Don't see how anyone could take offense to it (I mean obviously some will but...).

Fantastic - music to my ears

mae
10-30-2018, 07:24 AM
Amazon's delivering my copy today :excited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhMeJwxPSqg

CyberGhostface
10-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Was a bit surprised at how small the book is. Not just length but in size, it's probably not much bigger than a paperback.

Did anyone catch the Gwendy reference? I missed it.

Bev Vincent
10-30-2018, 10:14 AM

it has to do with the destruction of the suicide stairs

sentinel
10-30-2018, 10:29 AM
Hey Bev,
Any appearances, talk shows, radio etc...scheduled?

Bev Vincent
10-30-2018, 11:14 AM
Hey Bev,
Any appearances, talk shows, radio etc...scheduled?

Haven't heard of any. They probably would have happened/been announced by now, I figure if there were going to be any.

herbertwest
10-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Was a bit surprised at how small the book is. Not just length but in size, it's probably not much bigger than a paperback.

I also spotted references to Cujo & The Night Flier :)

Bev Vincent
10-30-2018, 01:02 PM

Plus It.

herbertwest
10-31-2018, 12:48 AM

Plus It.

I dont remember writing it down, can you please refresh my memory?
But maybe i totally missed it...

nocny
10-31-2018, 01:23 AM
Cujo: there is a line about Bannerman and his death.
Night Flier: Scott says he doesn't want to see his face in tabloid next to Night Flier.
It: there is a band named Pennywise and Clowns.

CyberGhostface
10-31-2018, 07:46 AM
Didn't really care for the Pennywise joke, don't think it works 'in-universe'. Like how would the band be even aware of Pennywise and even if they had heard stories from Derry it's still a name associated with brutal child murders.

Randall Flagg
10-31-2018, 12:49 PM
There is an actual band named Pennywise.

mae
11-02-2018, 11:00 AM
I found it cool that the Library of Congress CIP data on the copyright page lists genre as Literary. Is that a first for King?

biomieg
11-02-2018, 11:02 AM
There is an actual band named Pennywise.

Yes, and I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that King is a fan.

WeDealInLead
11-02-2018, 11:07 AM
That's not that much of a stretch. King likes his punk rock. First episode of Castle Rock features a Misfits song and a Slapshot (a straight edge hardcore band from Boston) poster in one of the early scenes.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-02-2018, 11:50 PM
Stephen King read it to me in my bed last night. Quite liked it.

Merlin1958
11-03-2018, 06:18 AM

I knew you had a kinky side, RT!!!! So, which did you enjoy more, the book or the author???? lol lol

Now, if King were wearing a "Pennywise" outfit whilst orating his novel I'd say that makes you the No.1 Fan with a bullet!!! lol

Cook
11-03-2018, 06:33 AM
Really looking forward to reading, but I gotta complain.
Went to pick it up from my local store and was more than a little surprised at the list price.... I just set it back down (1st time ever for a king hardcover)
I'll have to make a trip to Costco or do the amazon thing,
Is the page count even a hundred?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-03-2018, 09:09 AM

I knew you had a kinky side, RT!!!! So, which did you enjoy more, the book or the author???? lol lol

Now, if King were wearing a "Pennywise" outfit whilst orating his novel I'd say that makes you the No.1 Fan with a bullet!!! lol

I enjoyed finding out that we pronounce some words differently than Mainers. Even the name Deidre is different here.

biomieg
11-03-2018, 09:19 AM
It's 146 pages, Richard. I read it today and I really liked it, it's a sweet little tale with a touch of melancholy.

St. Troy
11-03-2018, 09:59 AM
It's 146 pages, Richard.

I'm a big-page-count guy, but I have to say, this intrigues me.

mikeC
11-05-2018, 12:19 PM
This is an incredible story. If you are skipping it bc of implied woke stuff or the lame summary you'd be missing out on one of Steve's best stories, one that only he could write.

St. Troy
11-05-2018, 12:56 PM
Ultimately (by which I mean, before I die), I probably won't skip anything SK writes, for any reason; it's just a question of priority. At some point in the 90s, I stopped picking up everything he did as soon as it hit the shelves (due to my having become a "family man," not due to anything SK did or didn't do), and I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, but even now I don't pick things up immediately, because I have so many competing books of interest (and a wife who doesn't appreciate books...).

So, I will get to Elevation (and The Colorado Kid, and Joyland, and 11/22/63, and The Wind Through The Keyhole, and Bill Hodges, and Full Dark No Stars, and The Bazaar Of Bad Dreams, and Sleeping Beauties, and On Writing) eventually...

Fortunately I actually have a copy of The Outsider and am therefore reasonably confident I'll read it sometime before next Halloween.

WeDealInLead
11-05-2018, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't read The Outsider before the Hodges trilogy.

biomieg
11-05-2018, 01:53 PM
Joyland and 11/22/63 are two of my favorite King books. I wish I could read them for the first time again.

webstar1000
11-06-2018, 04:34 AM
LOVED this book. One of my favs in years... only issue? I wish it was longer!

St. Troy
11-06-2018, 06:20 AM
I wouldn't read The Outsider before the Hodges trilogy.

Really? I'd heard (from some here) that, although The Outsider had a character from the Hodges trilogy, it wasn't necessary to read the trilogy first, nor would it ruin anything to read The Outsider first.

But I assume you've read all 4, and since you spoke up, I'd like your take before I jump in.

CyberGhostface
11-06-2018, 06:52 AM
It spoils nearly every major event from the Hodges trilogy. Fates of different characters, plot twists, etc.

St. Troy
11-06-2018, 07:18 AM
It spoils nearly every major event from the Hodges trilogy. Fates of different characters, plot twists, etc.

Jesus, I had no idea. Thanks.

CyberGhostface
11-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Yeah. I had already read the trilogy by then but I was a bit surprised that King went as far as he did especially since the Hodges trilogy is still pretty recent.

Brian861
11-06-2018, 10:18 AM
Joyland and 11/22/63 are two of my favorite King books. I wish I could read them for the first time again.

Agreed!

Ari_Racing
11-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Agreed as well.

SystemCrashOverRide
11-08-2018, 06:49 AM
Read Elevation in basically a single sitting. It's 146 pages sure, but it's not a normal size page. It reminds me a bit of increasing the font size on your highschool English paper to reach the mandatory page count.This reads like a novella because I would argue that it is one. I feel like the cover art is trying to convince me when it calls Elevation "a novel".

That said, I thought the length was great. The story didn't overstay it's welcome, or have length enough to slow down or meander, so it keeps things rolling along to a satisfying ending. Feels tight from start to finish.

I really enjoyed this. Had no issue spending the money on it - tough my copy was 40% off from Indigo. I have the UK and WHsmith editions in the mail and I'm quite pleased with that as well. Great little read.

Stockerlone
11-12-2018, 09:52 AM
The German Erhebung / Elevation is out now...
https://www.randomhouse.de/content/edition/cover/350px/9783453272026.jpg

Hunchback Jack
11-12-2018, 12:57 PM
I thought it was a solid novella. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

HBJ

Ricky
11-21-2018, 12:43 PM
Finished Elevation and really enjoyed it. Agree with this:

I thought the length was great. The story didn't overstay it's welcome, or have length enough to slow down or meander, so it keeps things rolling along to a satisfying ending. Feels tight from start to finish.

I wanted it to be longer just because I was enjoying it, but I really don't think it needed to be or should've been any longer. The length was fine to me. I do feel like it was more of a short story/novella, though.

One of my few "issues" with it was I didn't like how he so quickly came to terms with his eventual death. I know he had months to sit with it, but I didn't feel the reader had the same amount of time. I would've liked a little more of his thoughts and his cycle from disbelief to acceptance.

kimmysawi
11-26-2018, 11:26 PM

Nope
The UK cover fits better with the story read giannasgrille blog (https://www.giannasgrille.com)

https://club-stephenking.fr/wp-content/uploads/ELEVATION-de-stephenking-hodder.jpg

That was great because the name it self is many many many

Earl of Popkin
12-26-2018, 11:12 AM
Finally got to read this yesterday. It reminds me of Solo the Star Wars movie in that I’m glad that I experienced it and was engaged throughout. However once I closed the book or walked out of the theatre, I realized I’d never think about it again

Pretty forgettable in the grand scheme but definitely worth reading. It also makes me want Mexican food

St. Troy
12-26-2018, 11:13 AM
It also makes me want Mexican food

Now, I'm intrigued.

Brian861
12-26-2018, 11:18 AM
It also makes me want Mexican food

Now, I'm intrigued.

Gave me the same craving!

St. Troy
03-05-2020, 12:46 PM
Didn't really care for the Pennywise joke, don't think it works 'in-universe'. Like how would the band be even aware of Pennywise and even if they had heard stories from Derry it's still a name associated with brutal child murders.

Young rockers aren't always that sensitive - ever heard of the Dead Kennedys?

St. Troy
03-05-2020, 12:48 PM
I read it last month (I liked it; my full thoughts at http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?113-What-are-you-currently-reading&p=1187171&viewfull=1#post1187171) and agree with this:

...I thought the length was great. The story didn't overstay it's welcome, or have length enough to slow down or meander, so it keeps things rolling along to a satisfying ending. Feels tight from start to finish.