PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Haven Foundation Fundraiser-Change

Randall Flagg
11-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Mr. King and the board of The Haven Foundation have decided to make their foundation private, and no longer will accept public donations. As such, we will not have a HF fundraiser in 2018.

I’m very proud of what we accomplished over the years, not only for The Haven Foundation, but for our members and the collecting community. Numerous auction winners have received one-of-a-kind King Books and art. Every Grand Prize was a book inscribed by Stephen King, and every winner was someone known to the community at TheDarkTower.org.

Each year we tried to top the previous year with a book that became priceless to the winner. Our apex, or acme if you will, may have been the personalized Bill Hodges Trilogy where King inscribed all three books with quotes from within.

As a group we raised over $100,000 for The Haven Foundation!

There are too many booksellers, artists, donors and members to thank in this notice, but rest assured they know who they are, and how much their help was appreciated.

Your humble owner entrusted with maintaining the site,

Jerome Smith

Room 217 Caretaker
11-24-2017, 03:03 PM
It cost Jerome personal money to run this site. How about a scaled back foundation auction for the benefit of this site?

Mulleins

Randall Flagg
11-24-2017, 03:31 PM
It cost Jerome personal money to run this site. How about a scaled back foundation auction for the benefit of this site?

Mulleins
Every year around December 1st, I ask for donations to not only keep the site running, but to also keep it ad free. Anyone who's been to even popular(rich) sites knows that pop-ups have become ubiquitous.
I don't want members that look at an auction to all of sudden be getting side bar ads on their email, or other internet searches for King stuff on ebay, etc.

webstar1000
11-24-2017, 04:43 PM

Mulleins
I love this idea. And take a process of the profit to buy a nice King item for the grand prize!

Shannon
11-24-2017, 05:39 PM
What are the benefits of making a foundation private?

Roseannebarr
11-24-2017, 05:51 PM
No audit. No accountability. No requirements for fund distribution. No public scrutiny/accounability

Merlin1958
11-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Pardon me for being obtuse, but I'm not sure what the thrust of this thread is establishing. Is it being suggested that we switch the benficiary of the annual haven fund raiser to the site and it's associated fees? Is the traditional "December fund raiser for site fee's" replacing Haven as the beneficiary since Haven will no longer accept donations? Or is the "Site Fee" contribution still going to be in effect come 12/1 and another charity chosen for the annual (2018) fundraiser?

Don't get me wrong I have long been an advocate for site fee's and am still committed to helping out a site sponsored charity, I'm just seeking a little clarity is all. Set me straight and wind me up. Even though I am "Retired" I am still one to be counted on to pony up in either case.

Just seeking direction and clarity is all if, that is, it is currently available.

Zidan
11-24-2017, 10:19 PM
Shame. I was really looking forward to participating this year for the first time.

I've only been a member for a very short time but this site has already been useful on countless occasions. I love the idea of a site-run fundraiser and will also be happy to donate to the site directly.

east-tennessee
11-24-2017, 10:53 PM
There will be a site donation period soon:huglove: don't worry :):):)

Randall Flagg
11-24-2017, 11:05 PM
What are the benefits of making a foundation private?

No audit. No accountability. No requirements for fund distribution. No public scrutiny/accounability
Roseannebarr you are correct.

Randall Flagg
11-24-2017, 11:08 PM
Pardon me for being obtuse, but I'm not sure what the thrust of this thread is establishing. Is it being suggested that we switch the benficiary of the annual haven fund raiser to the site and it's associated fees? Is the traditional "December fund raiser for site fee's" replacing Haven as the beneficiary since Haven will no longer accept donations? Or is the "Site Fee" contribution still going to be in effect come 12/1 and another charity chosen for the annual (2018) fundraiser?

Don't get me wrong I have long been an advocate for site fee's and am still committed to helping out a site sponsored charity, I'm just seeking a little clarity is all. Set me straight and wind me up. Even though I am "Retired" I am still one to be counted on to pony up in either case.

Just seeking direction and clarity is all if, that is, it is currently available.
Read post #1. I think it is clear. No where have I mentioned another charity.

peripheral
11-25-2017, 01:34 AM
That is a shame about the fund and some amazing work has been done by this site.

becca69
11-25-2017, 06:39 AM
I guess I need to update my avatar/info :(

Girlystevedave
11-25-2017, 07:59 AM

Mulleins

I am always up for pitching in to keep the site what it is now. :)

dnemec
11-25-2017, 09:16 AM

Mulleins

I love this idea!

But is there any chance we can push it back to January now that we won't be doing the Haven Fund stuff anymore? Jerome deserves our help, but I always have a hard time finding spare change during December...

Randall Flagg
11-25-2017, 10:49 AM
I could run the site fundraiser December and January.

ladysai
11-25-2017, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hear that the Haven board wont accept any more private donations.

A fundraiser for the site sounds excellent!

andyg75
11-25-2017, 12:54 PM
I’m happy to contribute to help keep this site helpful, insightful and ad-free 👍

Merlin1958
11-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Read post #1. I think it is clear. No where have I mentioned another charity.

Oops, my bad. No Haven Fund Raiser in 2018. Got it. Are we considering replacing with another charity or just doing the site fee donation in December and nothing more going forward?

Merlin1958
11-25-2017, 01:01 PM

Or, keep it going to the traditional May 19th date, subtract funds for the site fees and any monies left over contribute to other charities/member situations? Just to be clear, I'm down with the program whatever gets decided. Like I said, just wind me up and point me in the proper direction. lol lol

Edit: I've long advocated site fee contributions. There is no reason a single person should have to bear all the fiscal responsibility for something we ALL benefit from and enjoy regularly.

Randall Flagg
11-25-2017, 01:10 PM
As far as other charities are concerned, I had considered the Bangor Public Library. A $5K donation gets the site recognized at the library, and we can direct where the money is spent (teen readers, children, etc.)
Some of the problems I foresee are:

Contributors from the past-Small press, artists, members etc. may not be as motivated to donate for a library as they were for a foundation that specifically helped writers and artists

King himself may not want to participate by inscribing the grand prize.

The Library Policeman
11-25-2017, 01:18 PM
I’ll have to donate double site fees this year. Missed it last year cos of comas n’ shit. :frown2:

Shannon
11-25-2017, 04:03 PM
I don't know how the rest of you feel, but because of the decision to go private and pretty much tell us to go fuck ourselves, I'm of the mindset to go in a completely different direction, away from King. He's not going to do the grand prize anymore, why would he? So no, screw King, and screw Bangor. Might be blasphemy, but that's how I feel.

Kingfan24
11-25-2017, 04:41 PM
This is a very odd development from the foundation.

Merlin1958
11-25-2017, 08:32 PM
I don't know how the rest of you feel, but because of the decision to go private and pretty much tell us to go fuck ourselves, I'm of the mindset to go in a completely different direction, away from King. He's not going to do the grand prize anymore, why would he? So no, screw King, and screw Bangor. Might be blasphemy, but that's how I feel.

Good point and I kinda agree. There is certainly no shortage of reputable charities and I'm confident we can, together, come up with a worthy grand prize as well as othe auction items as we've managed to do over the years.

This is a very odd development from the foundation.

Not really. There are tax, management and other valid reasons for the change. Especially if it is funded and King feels there are other worthy causes to focus on.

dnemec
11-26-2017, 06:03 AM

Yes! This!

Ari_Racing
11-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Yes! This!

I'd be in favor of a fundraiser for the site for two months. :)

webstar1000
11-27-2017, 10:34 AM
I think Jan/Feb. I think we do it as we always did... BUT for the benefit of the site. I doubt King will want any part of it BUT we could take 30/35% of the money and buy a nice limited. SO... at the end we vote on what to buy and Brian at CD does the pic! One could win an S/L Stand! WHO KNOWS... that is what would make it so fun and exciting.

TCCBodhi
11-30-2017, 08:01 PM
The fundraiser IS one of the big events that kind of brings us all together for a common cause, plus it generates so much conversation, I'd hate to see that go away completely just because we can't donate to Haven.

I think we should certainly continue to be philanthopic to some charity, preferably King-related in some way, since King IS the main focus of the site. There must certainly be charities that SK approves of that could perhaps continue his participation. I would guess that Marsha or others with a personal connection to SK would be the ones that can find that out. To keep the artists involved, perhaps there are other Haven-type charities out there that benefit authors/artists/etc, they just need to be asked what exists like that. If SK bows out of participating, then still raise the funds with a percentage of the total being used for that Grand Prize, pretty much like Kris suggested.

Merlin1958
12-01-2017, 09:05 AM
The fundraiser IS one of the big events that kind of brings us all together for a common cause, plus it generates so much conversation, I'd hate to see that go away completely just because we can't donate to Haven.

I think we should certainly continue to be philanthopic to some charity, preferably King-related in some way, since King IS the main focus of the site. There must certainly be charities that SK approves of that could perhaps continue his participation. I would guess that Marsha or others with a personal connection to SK would be the ones that can find that out. To keep the artists involved, perhaps there are other Haven-type charities out there that benefit authors/artists/etc, they just need to be asked what exists like that. If SK bows out of participating, then still raise the funds with a percentage of the total being used for that Grand Prize, pretty much like Kris suggested.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Br!an
12-01-2017, 11:26 AM
I like the idea of having the site fundraiser extended through January. It would be awesome if King would designate another charity and continue to inscribe the Grand Prize. If it turns out that isn't possible, I like the idea of helping another charity that helps authors and artists. We'll have to brainstorm some worthy charities. The artists who've contributed might have some good ideas. Bill, perhaps you can talk to your contacts and see what they're thinking. The Grand Prize can be something like what Kris suggested, or some original art, or a remarqued edition, or etc..

webstar1000
12-01-2017, 11:37 AM
I like the idea of having the site fundraiser extended through January. It would be awesome if King would designate another charity and continue to inscribe the Grand Prize. If it turns out that isn't possible, I like the idea of helping another charity that helps authors and artists. We'll have to brainstorm some worthy charities. The artists who've contributed might have some good ideas. Bill, perhaps you can talk to your contacts and see what they're thinking. The Grand Prize can be something like what Kris suggested, or some original art, or a remarqued edition, or etc..

+1

Merlin1958
12-01-2017, 03:47 PM

A very good point.

I'm unsure of what selection process for another charity here is. Several very good suggestions have been made including some that would involve a portion of the proceeds going to the site fees. There have also been suggestions regarding the duration. All of which have validity.

For whatever reasons I have been designated "retired". However, from strictly my own point of view I choose to let the other members, TPTB or, whomever decide what to do for the future. I am more than willing to bring whatever support and resources I can to the party, including perhaps providing a signed book of some sort for a grand prize. However, I think I will reserve that decision until a suitable charity, duration, etc has been chosen by others. If it is something I can get behind I'm there, if not I'll quietly abstain.

You all know me to be a generous person so whatever meaningful organization, duration/structure everyone agrees to I will most likely jump on the band wagon for and I am reasonably certain that most of the artists. etc can be persuaded to support it as well. So, I say we develop some sort of selection process, form a committee or something and get going ASAP. Times a wasting folks!!!! LOL LOL

El Jefe? You're the leader (owner) here so I say get to the leading/owning and set out the parameters. I'll have your back as always. lol

Randall Flagg
12-06-2017, 02:50 PM
I am more than willing to bring whatever support and resources I can to the party,

I might just hold you to that commitment.

Randall Flagg
12-06-2017, 04:14 PM
I made an executive decision and have sent an email to Marsha (no idea if she will even respond) asking if Mr. King would once again personalize a book to our Grand Prize winner. I asked and The Bangor Public library is excited about the possibility of our site donating money to them. A $5,000 endowment gains us public recognition and allows us to specify a subject or genre for the donation to be used.

The fate rests in Mr. King's hands.

becca69
12-06-2017, 04:36 PM
I made an executive decision and have sent an email to Marsha (no idea if she will even respond) asking if Mr. King would once again personalize a book to our Grand Prize winner. I asked and The Bangor Public library is excited about the possibility of our site donating money to them. A $5,000 endowment gains us public recognition and allows us to specify a subject or genre for the donation to be used.

I like this.

bdwyer19
12-06-2017, 05:08 PM

Glad to hear this is still moving in a positive direction!

webstar1000
12-07-2017, 05:09 AM

AMAZING... I hope it works out and good for you for having the balls to ask brother. NICE JOB!

Brian861
12-07-2017, 07:25 AM
This is good news.

peripheral
12-07-2017, 11:52 AM
What a great idea, RF...

jcmanske
12-07-2017, 12:22 PM
I'm excited about the idea as well and look forward to supporting the new fundraiser. Hopefully, King will be on board.

jhanic
12-07-2017, 12:25 PM
Even if King will not contribute, I'll help,out.

John

becca69
12-07-2017, 01:22 PM

John

Ditto

jcmanske
12-07-2017, 01:35 PM

John

Ditto

Definitely, agree!

Merlin1958
12-07-2017, 07:17 PM

I guess I will not be popular for this and I'm sure the Bangor library could use the funds, but I gotta say that IMHO (and its just that, my humble opinion) there is no shortage of more deserving and impactful charities out there that are deserving of our efforts. I'm not advocating for any one charity in particular, but weigh the Bangor public library against the good deeds done by such mainstream charities as (in no particular order):

The Red Cross
American Heart Association
The Salvation Army
St. Jude's Children's Huspital
American Cancer Society
Christian Charities

And that is just a few. Quite frankly, if Mr. King can't get behind one or more of the major charities out there (and I'm sure he contributes to a few) then I think we can just move on, on our own. As I stated I'd be willing to provide a Signed book of some import for a grand prize and also do what I can to rally the artists and publishers behind the cause with books and/or art. Just an alternate proposal for, El Jefe et al to chew on is all.

Also, something to bear in mind. Convincing artists to pivot to a charity like the BPL may prove more difficult than asking them to support a more far reaching and established charity. Now I realize this suggestion could devolve into 100 peopke proposing a 100 different charities, but I think that the core membership that has been so generous and supportive in the past could fairly quickly disregard personal bias' and settle on one, or perhaps three generally accepted charities that the proceeds could be divided amongst equally. Again, just food for thought, Boss-man/fellow members.

A quickly designed and executed poll might do the trick?

Personally, I would suggest the Shriner's Children's Hospitals because I have had first hand knowledge of their work, but I could and would certainly get behind any of the other mainstream Charities out there in the world that the membership here could also get behind. In the end, it's about helping those less fortunate and in need, no?

stroppygoblin
12-08-2017, 03:34 AM
Whilst I bow to Bill's greater knowledge on charities and donations, (his charity works and getting others to contribute are legendary around here) on the comments above I would disagree, for the following reasons:

1. This is foremost a site that revolves around books, Stephen King books in the majority, but plenty of other authors have threads as well.
2. RF has already made the decision and approached Bangor Library and they appear very positive about working with the site. Public recognition will also spread word about the site and potentially gain more members (and therefore the possibility of additional future donations)
3. IMHO SK will be more inclined to donate or sign a book if the charity is associated with literature.
4. The bigger charities, whilst doing excellent work have many, many supporters and marketing machines to spread the word and get donations, It's the smaller charities that tend to get overlooked by the general public.
5. I don't want to annoy the Library Policeman....

JM2C

peripheral
12-08-2017, 04:29 AM
It would be remiss not to acknowledge Bill’s charitable values, but I do have to agree with Stroppy’s points here.

The Library Policeman
12-08-2017, 04:57 AM
Whilst I bow to Bill's greater knowledge on charities and donations, (his charity works and getting others to contribute are legendary around here) on the comments above I would disagree, for the following reasons:

1. This is foremost a site that revolves around books, Stephen King books in the majority, but plenty of other authors have threads as well.
2. RF has already made the decision and approached Bangor Library and they appear very positive about working with the site. Public recognition will also spread word about the site and potentially gain more members (and therefore the possibility of additional future donations)
3. IMHO SK will be more inclined to donate or sign a book if the charity is associated with literature.
4. The bigger charities, whilst doing excellent work have many, many supporters and marketing machines to spread the word and get donations, It's the smaller charities that tend to get overlooked by the general public.

JM2C

Regarding point 5, you’re fine :evil:

webstar1000
12-08-2017, 05:10 AM
It would be remiss not to acknowledge Bill’s charitable values, but I do have to agree with Stroppy’s points here.

I do as well... I think King would be more apt to get on board with this than any other charity and if you have seen the Bangor library.. it HAS to cost a lot to keep that up and running. It's beautiful AND huge!

EXPLORER
12-08-2017, 06:26 AM
As this thread has developed I have checked in to see the discussion without contributing to gather the collective feeling of those here who direct the fundraiser as well as members concerns. One thought that occurred to me and perhaps others is another option (if needed/desired) might be to look to other organizations which King has noted he suggest might be worthwhile alternatives.

The Haven Foundation has a links page which might be a resource to consider alternative charities which support writers and/or artists. http://www.thehavenfdn.org/links

jhanic
12-08-2017, 07:03 AM
I have no problem with the selection of one or more of those links as long as they are properly vetted. I still like the idea of the Bangor library though. They are small enough that a donation would mean something.

John

Merlin1958
12-09-2017, 03:15 PM

JM2C

As this thread has developed I have checked in to see the discussion without contributing to gather the collective feeling of those here who direct the fundraiser as well as members concerns. One thought that occurred to me and perhaps others is another option (if needed/desired) might be to look to other organizations which King has noted he suggest might be worthwhile alternatives.

The Haven Foundation has a links page which might be a resource to consider alternative charities which support writers and/or artists. http://www.thehavenfdn.org/links

I'll probably go with the general consensus and, Simon makes some very valid points.

Jims' post also makes a lot of sense. I guess I just see it as a chance to get a bigger bang for our buck so to speak by contributing to a more well knownw charity. If we can find one that King is involved with as well then I think we have covered all the bases. Again, I'll got with whatever the majority determines. That includes a "Grand Prize" type auction/giveaway item even if Mr. King agrees to sign for the fund raiser again. How's that sound?

I just really think just about anything other than a local library would make artist/publisher pivoting easier and more inclusive. JMHO

Also, I don't see why we cannot split the funds amongst two or three valid charities (which would not proclude the BPL from participation) and make a decision that much easier. no?

Shannon
12-09-2017, 10:33 PM
It's up to RF, of course. It's his ball, we're just playing with it. But, that being said, I'm with Bill, especially about the Shriners.

Brian861
12-09-2017, 11:12 PM
It's up to RF, of course. It's his ball, we're just playing with it. But, that being said, I'm with Bill, especially about the Shriners.

I'm gonna have to draw the line at playing with Jerome's balls. Just not my bag, baby.

Merlin1958
12-10-2017, 06:28 PM
After further consideration I think I am going to formally withdraw from assuming any kind of a role, such as it is/was from the fundraiser going forward. As such I officially withdraw any offer (s) and/or commitments I have made in the past. I just don't have the wherewithal any longer with my past/present health issues, etc.

I'll drop my few sheckles in the bucket when I can, but I just cannot assume any role as I have in the past (such as it may have been) or considered recently. I wish the site and its very generous members nothing but the best in whatever direction they should choose to pursue. I need to focus on my own personal issues going forward. I'll just continue to support the membership from behind the scenes as I have done in the past.

If there is someone out there who chooses to pick up the mantle in assisting the sites fundraising efforts please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to transfer my contacts and goodwill with the artists/publishers over to him/her if they should so choose. I enjoy the site and community too much to risk letting them/it down when pursuing charitable efforts for those in need. Thank you in advance for your understanding and let me know when or where I can drop a few sheckles in the proverbial bucket!!!! LOL

Also, I apologize in advance if my reversal causes anyone any consternation. I suppose my charitable eyes were bigger than my stomach could bear. lol Furthermore, concerning, RF's "Balls" I'll leave that discussion and its outcome to more knowledgeable members!!! LOL

Best of luck, folks. I'll be watching!!! lol lol I'll see you all around the forum/site and wish you all the happiest of holidays!!!!!

P.S. On a side note, I want to thank, El Jefe for allowing me to assist in the past fundraisers and their resultant success's. It was a great run, we had some fun and we did an amazing amount of good for others over the span. I also want to applaud, RF again for the HUGE amount of work and dedication he has provided to the fund raisers over the years. You folks really have no idea just how much time, money, work and dedication he demonstrates and provides for these things every year!!!!

THANK YOU, BOSS!!!!!!!!!!

Randall Flagg
12-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Mr. King has graciously agreed to inscribe a book to our Grand Prize winner. He did say that due to his desire to spend more time writing, this would be the last year he would do so.

stroppygoblin
12-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Mr. King has graciously agreed to inscribe a book to our Grand Prize winner. He did say that due to his desire to spend more time writing, this would be the last year he would do so.

:excited::clap::dance:

Randall Flagg
12-12-2017, 09:29 AM
In light of King's participation, I think I will start the fundraiser January 19th and run it through May 19th.

Since I don't want to fund-raise for the site at the same time, I believe I should put up the site donation button now, and leave it up until January 18th.

jcmanske
12-12-2017, 09:30 AM
Outstanding, RF! So excited to hear this and am very grateful that you asked. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Ari_Racing
12-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Very good news. :)

webstar1000
12-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Gotta love it. Mr. King is too busy writing to write 10 words in a book for some of his most die hard fans in the world. I don't know whether to be disgusted OR happy he has that many more stories to write. LOL :angry_002:

Randall Flagg
12-12-2017, 10:29 AM
I try not to look at it in a negative way. He is getting older, and although it's just one book for us, I'm sure he's pulled in many other directions, and the cumulative time adds up. He could have simply declined, so I'm happy for our last hurrah.

webstar1000
12-12-2017, 11:13 AM
I try not to look at it in a negative way. He is getting older, and although it's just one book for us, I'm sure he's pulled in many other directions, and the cumulative time adds up. He could have simply declined, so I'm happy for our last hurrah.

Well said. I will lean towards happy. Hopefully it is a doozy of a sign too!

Ben Staad
12-12-2017, 12:33 PM
I agree. I think it was fairly amazing that he did this for the fundraiser to begin with so I'm happy to hear there will be another year with an SK inscribed grand prize. Simply outstanding that he is willing to do this.

I try not to look at it in a negative way. He is getting older, and although it's just one book for us, I'm sure he's pulled in many other directions, and the cumulative time adds up. He could have simply declined, so I'm happy for out last hurrah.

Brian861
12-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Well said. I will lean towards happy. Hopefully it is a doozy of a sign too!

And more importantly, signed to me :) Reading into the words "our last hurrah"; '18 will be the last year for fundraising of this nature?

Randall Flagg
12-12-2017, 01:19 PM
2018 will certainly be the last year King will inscribe a book for our Grand Prize winner.

Randall Flagg
12-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Since it's no longer a fundraiser for The Haven Foundation, and it doesn't start until 1/19/2018, I was thinking of archiving this thread in a day or two. That or changing the name.

I'd really like to focus on getting members to donate to the site over the next ~5 weeks.

peripheral
12-12-2017, 03:08 PM

Well said, RF. I remember when I first joined TDT how amazed I was that King was associating so closely with this site to begin with, via this charity. I think it's a wonderful legacy of TDT.