PDA

View Full Version : The Outsider: new Stephen King novel out May 2018

mae
09-24-2016, 09:22 AM
King was interviewed as part of the 2016 National Book Festival and mentioned he's working on a new book dealing with a Mr. Mercedes character:

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialStephenKing/videos/vb.191150541024536/814374042035513/?type=3&theater

becca69
09-24-2016, 10:48 AM
On the NJ stop he mentioned possibly continuing Holly's character in another book or series.

mae
09-25-2016, 07:27 AM
And here is that interview on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Px5XZJ2JE

CyberGhostface
09-25-2016, 03:08 PM
I'm kind of tired of all the "Mr. Mercedes" stuff at this point. IDK why King seems to be so set on it.

mae
09-25-2016, 03:21 PM
I agree, somewhat. I'd like him to do different things and looks like next year we'll get that with Sleeping Beauties. I believe he said so himself in the above interview that he's got maybe 10 good years left (I know we all hope it's much more than that), so I really hope we get some new classics in the next decade or so. I've really enjoyed the realist approach he's been taking with some his recent short fiction, and while he'll never be mistaken for Philip Roth or John Updike, I do hope we'll get some straight fiction novels from him.

mae
08-03-2017, 04:44 PM
http://collider.com/stephen-king-interview-the-dark-tower/

Can you talk about what you’re working on now?

KING: No.

[Laughs] Worth a shot.

KING: There’s a book done for next year and there’s a book I wrote with my son called Sleeping Beauties that’s out next month, and he and I are going to go on tour. It’s nice to be able to write a book with your son. He told me what to do and I did it. It’s a preview of the old folks home.

Could be something brand new, could be the fourth Mr. Mercedes book that was mentioned earlier: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?20522-Mr.-Mercedes-Quadrilogy

mae
08-04-2017, 05:19 AM
Of course, best case scenario is that it's Talisman 3. I've gone over this before, but if it ever comes, it needs to be 2018 ("The Talisman Cycle"): http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?8151-Talisman-3&p=1023228&viewfull=1#post1023228

webstar1000
08-04-2017, 05:22 AM
How many more books do you guys think we can expect from King? He turns 70 soon.... getting up there for sure...

mae
08-04-2017, 05:26 AM
He's not showing any signs of slowing down and I hope he doesn't. He may do more co-authored books, too, but I'm not sure if those are any easier than solo efforts. Could be more work. And King has stated a number of times he will essentially continue to write until his last days. There have been plenty of authors publishing new books in their 70s and into their 90s even.

herbertwest
08-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Of course, best case scenario is that it's Talisman 3. I've gone over this before, but if it ever comes, it needs to be 2018 ("The Talisman Cycle"): http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?8151-Talisman-3&p=1023228&viewfull=1#post1023228

We know that the Holly book is written, but we dont really know if they ever even started on TALISMAN 3, so I'd say that it's most likely to be the Holly one.

CyberGhostface
08-04-2017, 07:10 AM
How many more books do you guys think we can expect from King? He turns 70 soon.... getting up there for sure...

Well the way he makes it sound he has a compulsive need to write so I think he'll still be putting out books for a while.

Girlystevedave
08-04-2017, 12:45 PM

I don't like to think too much on that. It's a dark place for my mind to visit. :(

Brainslinger
08-04-2017, 09:01 PM

We know that the Holly book is written, but we dont really know if they ever even started on TALISMAN 3, so I'd say that it's most likely to be the Holly one.

I somehow missed that news! While I don't want a fourth Mr Mercedes novel* another novel based on Holly could be great. She was a wonderful character.

* I liked the Mr. Mercedes novels, and the fact Stephen King did something different with them (or at least he did in the first two as the third was more of the supernatural vein that he is known for. Again, not a criticism as I like that too, although my feelings on a certain character developing powers is mixed).. But I think as a trilogy that story is complete, and should not be extended. A story based on Holly would not necessarily be an extension of Mr. Mercedes however.

mae
08-09-2017, 08:23 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/08/09/q-stephen-king-interview-mr-mercedes-show/537371001/

It’s one aspect of a busy time for King: The film adaptation of The Dark Tower is in theaters now, a new It movie debuts on the big screen Sept. 8, he starts a book tour next month with son Owen for Sleeping Beauties (out Sept. 26), and the elder King has another tome, The Outsider, coming soon.

Anything you want to spill about The Outsider?

Nope. Well, there’s a lot of things I want to say about that, but I can’t. It’s too cool to talk about right now. All I can say is it won’t be out in 2017 because I’ve got enough going on.

herbertwest
08-09-2017, 08:57 AM
They also confirmed it to me in the meantime and the page should be up "soon"

Ricky
08-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Sounds mysterious. I like it. And totally could be referring to Holly.

webstar1000
08-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Outsider... Dark Tower related.... I can feel it.

NoAttitudeThisTime
08-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Wasn't there a mysterious force in Bag of Bones that Mike Noonan called The Outsider? But I'm sure it will be the Holly book

burial
08-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Wasn't there a mysterious force in Bag of Bones that Mike Noonan called The Outsider? But I'm sure it will be the Holly book

I think you are 100% right :) (About "Bag of Bones")

TravelinJack
08-09-2017, 12:10 PM
Looking forward to what ever it happens to be. I like the idea of a Holly Novel, a Bag of Bones sequel, and of course anything DT.

King's still got some serious novelizing ahead of him (so we all hope right), but I'm willing to bet, much like Noonan, he has manuscripts stored away as well. Of which, I just have to believe is DT related.

St. Troy
08-09-2017, 12:34 PM
They also confirmed it to me in the meantime and the page should be up "soon"

By "the page" do you mean some kind of product page or info page on King's website?

herbertwest
08-10-2017, 02:16 AM
My bad, I thought I was replying in the 1922 movie thread.
I really dont know ANYTHING AT ALL about the outsider.

Brian861
08-10-2017, 10:52 AM
He's not showing any signs of slowing down and I hope he doesn't. He may do more co-authored books, too, but I'm not sure if those are any easier than solo efforts. Could be more work. And King has stated a number of times he will essentially continue to write until his last days. There have been plenty of authors publishing new books in their 70s and into their 90s even.

The man shits gold bricks each time a novel drops. Be crazy to "plug it up" :)

mae
10-03-2017, 12:58 PM
http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=5847

Some in the audience at Stephen & Owen's stop in Milwaukee reported that Stephen revealed that he has a new book done that's to be released in June called The Outsider. Stephen said it was about some southwest gentleman committing some murders. He also said there would be a character we would recognize...

Please note that this (specially the release date) is unconfirmed news.

I'm hoping for a Southern Gothic type of thing with no supernatural.

mae
10-09-2017, 07:05 AM
We now have a date and page count:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1501180983/

June 5, 576 pages. And the synopsis:

From #1 New York Times bestseller Stephen King, whose brand has never been stronger, comes one of his most propulsive and unsettling stories ever.

An eleven-year-old boy is found in a town park, hideously assaulted and murdered. The fingerprints (and later DNA) are unmistakably those of the town’s most popular baseball coach, Terry Maitland, a man of impeccable reputation, with a wife and two daughters. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose son Maitland coached, orders an immediate and public arrest. Maitland is taken to jail, his claim to innocence scorned. Maitland has a foolproof alibi, with footage to prove that he was in another city when the crime was committed. But that doesn't save him either.

King constructs a propulsive plot, and a race against time to uncover the identity of a terrifying and diabolical killer who has left victims—and “perpetrators”—across the country, and who is on his way to his next horrific act.

King’s psychological suspense is at its most riveting in this extraordinarily dramatic and eerie story. He is devastatingly vivid on the experience of being falsely blamed—the effect on the accused, the spouse, the children; the suspicion of friends, even the most loyal; the impossibility of ever being innocent again (if you are lucky to enough to live). He is also masterful at showing us that supernatural monsters are startlingly like human beings who do monstrous things.

St. Troy
10-09-2017, 08:38 AM
That doesn't sound bad at all.

When I first saw:

June 5, 576 pages.

...the comma (and my excitement) made me read it as 1,576 pages.

Randall Flagg
10-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Sounds wonderful!

Randall Flagg
10-09-2017, 08:56 AM
Catalog entry

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Stephen+King+First+Editions:The +Outsider+-+Trade+HC&redirect=no

BountyHunter
10-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Ralph Anderson. Lol.

mikeC
10-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Steve's brand is so hot right now. Lolz. I guess that's important.

St. Troy
10-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Steve's brand is so hot right now. Lolz. I guess that's important.

It's the kind of thing you say when you have nothing to say.

biomieg
10-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Sounds neat (insofar as gruesome killings are neat)! Now I'm wondering who the familiar character will be.

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Ralph Anderson. Lol.

You're thinking Storm of the Century like me?

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Sounds neat (insofar as gruesome killings are neat)! Now I'm wondering who the familiar character will be.

I still bet it's Holly Gibney

biomieg
10-09-2017, 11:49 AM
You're probably right...

Roseannebarr
10-09-2017, 03:06 PM
You're probably right...

poll time! its Holly Gibney. He likes her. Its easy. Involves a gruesome murder.

Ricky
10-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Love Holly, so I'd be cool with that. I'm calling that the killer plants "evidence" that links a murder to Holly.

Ben Mears
10-10-2017, 03:31 AM

I hope not. That character and series has run its course.

burial
10-10-2017, 04:10 AM

I'm with you on that... Hodges Trilogy is NOT my favorite

BountyHunter
10-10-2017, 04:27 AM
Ralph Anderson. Lol.

Yeah. I literally just watched it for the first time right before I came on and saw this thread.

stroppygoblin
10-10-2017, 04:54 AM
Anderson is a name that King has used often in his books:

Billy Anderson - Blockade Billy
Bob Anderson - A Good Marriage
Roberta Anderson - TommyKnockers
Darcy Anderson - A Good Marriage
Donnie Anderson - A Good Marriage
Frank Anderson - TommyKnockers
Leah Anderson - Under the Dome
Petra Anderson - A Good Marriage
Rachel Anderson - Insomnia
Tommy Anderson - Under the Dome
Willow Anderson- Under the Dome

BountyHunter
10-10-2017, 05:34 AM
Oh, I know. But there was literally a Ralph Anderson in SotC. Well, I guess it was Ralphie, but close enough.

Brian861
10-10-2017, 05:42 AM
Sounds like a nice healthy read at almost 600 pages. Seems to be right up my alley story wise.

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-10-2017, 05:59 AM
Ralph Anderson. Lol.

Yeah. I literally just watched it for the first time right before I came on and saw this thread.

Hope you liked the miniseries. It's one of my favorites. Well, this gotta be another Ralph Anderson, for sure. I just remember that there is a Patrick Hockstetter in both Firestarter and IT and they are, once again, not the same character

mae
10-10-2017, 06:26 AM
The name Ralph makes me think of Insomnia right away.

Brian861
10-10-2017, 06:28 AM
The name Ralph makes me think of Insomnia right away.

Same here. And Christmas Story :)

Zidan
10-10-2017, 07:58 AM

Agreed. The series was already tiresome enough as a trilogy. Hope it isn't rehashed here. Entirely unnecessary.

mae
10-10-2017, 08:13 AM
This sounds a bit like Black House and I would welcome that dark tone.

Brian861
10-10-2017, 10:37 AM
I enjoyed Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keeper not as much, and End of Watch was really unnecessary. MM & FK could be/are stand alone novels IMO. I wouldn't mind reading of Holly and Jerome in another novel.

BountyHunter
10-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Ralph Anderson. Lol.

Hope you liked the miniseries. It's one of my favorites. Well, this gotta be another Ralph Anderson, for sure. I just remember that there is a Patrick Hockstetter in both Firestarter and IT and they are, once again, not the same character

I absolutely loved it. I just wish King would give us a new Andre Linoge story, but I guess he probably can't due to rights issues.

MikeDuke
10-11-2017, 09:21 AM
We now have a date and page count:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1501180983/

June 5, 576 pages. And the synopsis:

From #1 New York Times bestseller Stephen King, whose brand has never been stronger, comes one of his most propulsive and unsettling stories ever.

An eleven-year-old boy is found in a town park, hideously assaulted and murdered. The fingerprints (and later DNA) are unmistakably those of the town’s most popular baseball coach, Terry Maitland, a man of impeccable reputation, with a wife and two daughters. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose son Maitland coached, orders an immediate and public arrest. Maitland is taken to jail, his claim to innocence scorned. Maitland has a foolproof alibi, with footage to prove that he was in another city when the crime was committed. But that doesn't save him either.

King constructs a propulsive plot, and a race against time to uncover the identity of a terrifying and diabolical killer who has left victims—and “perpetrators”—across the country, and who is on his way to his next horrific act.

King’s psychological suspense is at its most riveting in this extraordinarily dramatic and eerie story. He is devastatingly vivid on the experience of being falsely blamed—the effect on the accused, the spouse, the children; the suspicion of friends, even the most loyal; the impossibility of ever being innocent again (if you are lucky to enough to live). He is also masterful at showing us that supernatural monsters are startlingly like human beings who do monstrous things.

Now that sounds like a bad ass novel.

herbertwest
10-11-2017, 12:15 PM
Ralph Anderson. Lol.

I absolutely loved it. I just wish King would give us a new Andre Linoge story, but I guess he probably can't due to rights issues.

Why? He published the script, wouldnt he owns the rights to this character?

BountyHunter
10-12-2017, 12:20 AM
I don't know. I'm assuming because it was a network tv miniseries, that whatever network it was on probably owns at least partial rights to the whole thing. Anybody know differently?

CyberGhostface
10-13-2017, 09:05 AM
King could probably do it if he wanted to, there's been a number of licensed TV tie-in novels and comics that even if ABC owned the rights he could do the book through an affiliated publisher.

mae
10-16-2017, 02:45 AM
For some reason Amazon put up a rewritten synopsis:

An unspeakable crime. A confounding investigation. At a time when the King brand has never been stronger, he has delivered one of his most unsettling and compulsively readable stories.

An eleven-year-old boy’s violated corpse is found in a town park. Eyewitnesses and fingerprints point unmistakably to one of Flint City’s most popular citizens. He is Terry Maitland, Little League coach, English teacher, husband, and father of two girls. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest. Maitland has an alibi, but Anderson and the district attorney soon add DNA evidence to go with the fingerprints and witnesses. Their case seems ironclad.

As the investigation expands and horrifying answers begin to emerge, King’s propulsive story kicks into high gear, generating strong tension and almost unbearable suspense. Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face? When the answer comes, it will shock you as only Stephen King can.

Bev Vincent
10-16-2017, 03:22 AM
King wasn't happy with the original version (http://stephenking.com/xf/index.php?threads/synopsis-and-pub-date.16114/#post-812629).

mae
10-16-2017, 03:34 AM
Yeah this one reads better and basically says the same thing.

But I'm glad we have a copy of both for posterity.

Ben Mears
10-17-2017, 05:41 AM
Very much looking forward to this one.

craigobau
10-17-2017, 07:21 AM
The blurb on Hodder's UK webpage for the book says "Stephen King has written an unputdownable crime thriller with a unique twist........A compelling and chilling suspense novel, which will delight all readers of King's bestselling Hodges Trilogy".

Not great news for those people who weren't fans of the Hodges trilogy!

Ben Mears
10-17-2017, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=craigobau;1083755]...which will delight all readers of King's bestselling Hodges Trilogy". [QUOTE]

Will have to revise my expectations. Hopefully no Holly, Jerome or supernatural elements.

Roseannebarr
10-17-2017, 07:51 AM
They are easy to read. (apparently easy to write too!)

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-17-2017, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=craigobau;1083755]...which will delight all readers of King's bestselling Hodges Trilogy". [QUOTE]

Will have to revise my expectations. Hopefully no Holly, Jerome or supernatural elements.

Holly is in it, so Jerome might be too, probably not much. I doubt this will be supernatural. I like Holly but I agree she should not fill too many pages, and based on the synopsis she might be a secondary or minor character.

mae
10-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Season four/five of Mr. Mercedes on Audience? :excited:

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-17-2017, 09:07 AM

The books were summer capers, and in that regard they succeeded well, I think. Not King's best works, for sure, but not bad either. Just fun. I liked them much more than, say, Joyland.

herbertwest
10-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Ralph Anderson is the name of the kid in THE STORM OF THE CENTURY...

mae
11-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Amazon has two cool placeholder covers now up on their US and UK sites, respectively:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91qniIx4cvL.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Auuh6PcWL.jpg

mae
11-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Slightly higher quality version of the UK cover here: https://www.hodder.co.uk/assets/HodderStoughton/img/book/350/isbn9781473676350.jpg

https://www.hodder.co.uk/assets/HodderStoughton/img/book/350/isbn9781473676350.jpg

Brian861
11-03-2017, 10:17 AM
I'm sure the UK cover will be much better.

mae
11-03-2017, 10:52 AM
I always prefer the US covers. They feel right.

Bev Vincent
12-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Looks like this release has been moved up to May 22nd.

mae
12-23-2017, 10:30 AM
Yup, Amazon lists the updated date.

MikeDuke
12-24-2017, 09:02 PM
So is this a sure thing to be a continuation of the other books, or just something in the same style.

NoAttitudeThisTime
12-25-2017, 04:13 AM
So is this a sure thing to be a continuation of the other books, or just something in the same style.

It's own book but with a character popping up that we know from the Hodges trilogy

herbertwest
12-26-2017, 12:00 PM

It's own book but with a character popping up that we know from the Hodges trilogy

Are we sure that THE OUTSIDER features Holly?

NoAttitudeThisTime
12-27-2017, 06:04 AM

Pretty sure! Last year he mentioned that he was writing a novel where Holly pops up. He couldn't let go of her. This year he mentioned that a character we know will show up in The Outsider. If it's not Holly I would be very surprised. But she's not the main character, it seems

herbertwest
12-28-2017, 01:40 AM
It could be, but that would be a guess. Especially since King mentionned that he finished a second untitled book.

herbertwest
01-05-2018, 03:47 AM
Ralph Anderson is the name of the kid in THE STORM OF THE CENTURY...

Still wonder if that's more than a coincidence.
I guess that in february at the latest we'll get the covers, and the proofs may start to popup :)

BountyHunter
01-09-2018, 05:02 PM
I'd love it if it was more than a coincidence. I think it is just one, though.

mae
01-12-2018, 08:03 AM
Could be something else but maybe it’s the Holly book?

http://ew.com/books/2017/12/22/stephen-king-pennywise-it-entertainers-of-the-year/

What else is on the horizon for you? I know you have The Outsider coming up next year. That’s about the murder of a little boy, and a father and coach who is prominent in the town being accused …

Yeah, The Outsider is in May. I’m looking at the page proofs now. I love that book. I’ve got another book that doesn’t have a title yet and that’s done, and a novella that’s longer than Gwendy that’s called Elevation that will come out in some form.

NoAttitudeThisTime
01-12-2018, 03:48 PM
The Holly book is The Outsider

mae
01-12-2018, 03:53 PM
That's just speculation at this point, I think. Could be. We'll see.

herbertwest
01-18-2018, 02:00 AM
The cover should be revealed very soon as Steve twitted : "Watch EW for the cover of THE OUTSIDER. Coming very soon."
>>> https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/953796522772221952

Bev Vincent
01-18-2018, 11:12 AM
https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com %2F2018%2F01%2Foutsider-cover.jpg&w=1100&q=85

mae
01-18-2018, 11:31 AM
https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com %2F2018%2F01%2Foutsider-cover.jpg&w=1100&q=85

I like it. Pretty different!

biomieg
01-18-2018, 11:43 AM
Nice!!

Randall Flagg
01-18-2018, 11:43 AM
Is there an image available without the EW stamp?

Bev Vincent
01-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Is there an image available without the EW stamp?

Probably after their term of exclusivity is over.

mae
01-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Amazon should have it up soon I imagine.

mikeC
01-18-2018, 01:23 PM
I like that cover. It also gives me hope that the book will have supernatural elements.
The murder crime mystery synopsis held zero interest for me.

mae
01-18-2018, 01:59 PM
The bottom portion almost looks like a fax.

nocny
01-18-2018, 02:10 PM

I can confirm that it features Holly.

Randall Flagg
01-18-2018, 02:14 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1516313621-Outsider%20EW%20image%20upside%20down.jpg

needfulthings
01-18-2018, 04:07 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1516313621-Outsider%20EW%20image%20upside%20down.jpg

:wtf:No wonder he's an OUTSIDER... His eyes are in the middle of his forehead.

Ricky
01-18-2018, 07:36 PM
I was thinking the same thing. You don't really notice until it's right-side up. :lol:

Brian861
01-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Looking forward to the UK cover.

herbertwest
01-19-2018, 01:19 AM

I can confirm that it features Holly.

Am guessing that you got a US proof?

nocny
01-19-2018, 03:37 AM
No no, I know it from polish publisher.

herbertwest
01-19-2018, 04:37 AM
Ok, thanks !

herbertwest
01-19-2018, 04:40 AM
By, the way, a speculation on reddit regarding the name "THE OUTSIDER" that could be related to BAG OF BONES?
> https://www.reddit.com/r/stephenking/comments/7rfuj9/the_outsider_speculation_link_to_the_same_figure/

NoAttitudeThisTime
01-19-2018, 06:23 AM
By, the way, a speculation on reddit regarding the name "THE OUTSIDER" that could be related to BAG OF BONES?
> https://www.reddit.com/r/stephenking/comments/7rfuj9/the_outsider_speculation_link_to_the_same_figure/

Yeah, first I thought the outsider could be Holly, then I remembered the Outsider from Bag of Bones. It could very well be the latter. If so, it's amazing that King remembers this entity after all these years since Bag of Bones.

Girlystevedave
01-19-2018, 06:28 AM
:wtf:No wonder he's an OUTSIDER... His eyes are in the middle of his forehead.

:rofl:

Kevbot
01-19-2018, 07:24 AM

The books were summer capers, and in that regard they succeeded well, I think. Not King's best works, for sure, but not bad either. Just fun. I liked them much more than, say, Joyland.

I thought that Finders Keepers was a lot deeper and more engaging than the other two, likely because of the reading/writing aspect. And I *loved* Joyland.

RichardX
01-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Like it. That image reminds me of "The Iron Giant".

Brainslinger
01-21-2018, 11:33 PM
I liked that a lot! Wonderfully atmospheric. (As for the placement of the eyes, isn’t his head tilted upwards?}

I hope we get a nice cover in the UK. Outs tend to be a bit generic, although the one for Sleeping Beauties is relevant, and rather nice

needfulthings
01-22-2018, 03:02 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1516313621-Outsider%20EW%20image%20upside%20down.jpghttps://imageshack.com/a/img924/8250/7JTEru.jpg

mae
01-22-2018, 03:04 AM
Amazon has the unmarked hi-res image up: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1dKbG0mq8L.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1dKbG0mq8L.jpg

Randall Flagg
01-22-2018, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the image. Stroppygoblin updated the catalog.

herbertwest
01-31-2018, 04:04 AM
extrat from THE OUTSIDER !
> http://stephenkingbooks.co.uk/2018/01/31/read-extract-stephen-kings-new-novel-outsider/

C1TIZEN_X
01-31-2018, 04:37 AM
extrat from THE OUTSIDER !
> http://stephenkingbooks.co.uk/2018/01/31/read-extract-stephen-kings-new-novel-outsider/

Very cool. I can't wait.

Vern
02-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Here’s the UK cover. Can’t say I like it too much.

https://www.hodder.co.uk/assets/HodderStoughton/img/book/350/isbn9781473676350.jpg

RichardX
02-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Here’s the UK cover. Can’t say I like it too much.

Yes, I often like the UK covers better, but not that one. Has more of a spy type thriller feel. Is every novel ever written "breathtaking"?

Brian861
02-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Not really impressed with either cover of this one.

Merlin1958
02-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Not really impressed with either cover of this one.

Ditto

racerx45
02-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Amazon has the unmarked hi-res image up: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1dKbG0mq8L.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1dKbG0mq8L.jpg

Is the Outsider in The Upside-down? Is the cover just Stranger Things homage or is there a tie-in?

RichardX
02-14-2018, 08:17 AM
No book tour for this one or Elevation according to Ms. Mod. I suppose that leaves open maybe a book festival or one off type event like Bridgton a couple years ago.

mae
03-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Amazon now has the back cover:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A11BxJZ3U%2BL.jpg

And Scribner put out another excerpt: http://www.simonandschuster.biz/books/The-Outsider/Stephen-King/9781501180989

Hunchback Jack
03-28-2018, 09:03 PM
https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/nfiHAIOrbFsciZ6jYSuipH0lijW.jpg

fernandito
03-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Just realized this book is being released exactly on my birthday, May 22.

Simple shit that makes me happy :)

Bev Vincent
04-13-2018, 09:12 AM
Simon & Schuster has announced that award-winning narrator Will Patton will return to read the audiobook edition of THE OUTSIDER, available on CD and for download on May 22nd, 2018.

Stockerlone
04-14-2018, 09:42 AM
German Cover

https://www.randomhouse.de/content/edition/cover/350px/9783453271845.jpg

herbertwest
04-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Odd

Vern
04-16-2018, 05:04 AM
I wonder if you'll be okay to read this book without having read any of the Hodges series...

Bev Vincent
04-16-2018, 06:01 AM
I wonder if you'll be okay to read this book without having read any of the Hodges series...

Yes, you will be.

mae
04-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Something odd I just noticed. According to our Release Dates List (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?3555-Stephen-King-Book-Release-Dates-List), not counting Gwendy's Button Box, this will be the first King novel published in May since Gerald’s Game in 1992 (the first volume of The Green Mile was also published in May of 1996, but I'm talking full-fledged book). And other than Gerald’s Game, prior to that it was only The Drawing of the Three in May of 1987 and The Running Man in May of 1982. For bonus points the uncut version of The Stand came out in May of 1990. But that's it! Seems like King doesn't like May for some reason.

Ari_Racing
05-01-2018, 08:02 PM
I've just came across a neat surprise in Stephen King's The Outsider. One character he promised to return. Can you guess who?

NoAttitudeThisTime
05-02-2018, 12:54 AM
I've just came across a neat surprise in Stephen King's The Outsider. One character he promised to return. Can you guess who?

Holly Gibney

TravelinJack
05-02-2018, 03:02 AM
Our pal, the large spider, that really had nothing to do with the story??

Bev Vincent
05-02-2018, 03:11 AM

I think he's hoping to keep that detail a secret until the book comes out.

Ricky
05-02-2018, 04:37 AM
I'd like to be surprised, too.

mikeC
05-02-2018, 05:45 AM
Is this a crime novel like Bill Hodges or supernatural?

Bev Vincent
05-02-2018, 06:23 AM

Yes.

mikeC
05-02-2018, 08:41 AM

Yes.

Which?

Bev Vincent
05-03-2018, 04:23 PM
I received my finished hardcover copy with publisher's letter tonight. The cover is quite striking -- almost metallic.

Father Cody
05-03-2018, 06:49 PM
I received my finished hardcover copy with publisher's letter tonight. The cover is quite striking -- almost metallic.

Can you post a picture?

Bev Vincent
05-04-2018, 03:07 AM

Can you post a picture?

https://www.bevvincent.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Outsider-02.jpg

Father Cody
05-04-2018, 03:25 AM
Cool, thanks Bev!

CyberGhostface
05-15-2018, 10:02 AM
New review, a bit spoilery

http://www.startribune.com/review-the-outsider-by-stephen-king/482559071/

mikeC
05-15-2018, 10:27 AM

Thanks for posting. Reviewer is a little snobby, (is prison-escape drama really a genre?) and the pic they use of Steve makes him look like a loon.

Heather19
05-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Yes.

Which?

Yes, I'm curious if it's a straight up crime novel as well? I'm personally not typically a fan of those types of stories, and hated the Bill Hodges ones. I'll still buy it though, but after Sleeping Beauties I'm craving a really good book. I haven't read reviews yet, curious if the early ones are positive or not.

Heather19
05-15-2018, 10:30 AM

Thanks for posting. Reviewer is a little snobby, (is prison-escape drama really a genre?) and the pic they use of Steve makes him look like a loon.

:rofl: I skipped reading it because I hate spoilers, but had to check out the pic after that comment. Indeed, it is an odd photo to choose.

mikeC
05-15-2018, 10:33 AM
The answer is in the review if you read it. I read it mainly to find out that question. I didn't hate the Bill books, but yea still waiting on something horror or fantasy for awhile seems like.

Father Cody
05-15-2018, 10:35 AM

:rofl: I skipped reading it because I hate spoilers, but had to check out the pic after that comment. Indeed, it is an odd photo to choose.

I had to look at it a few times but think I see what you mean. Oh well, they can try to make him look like a loon all they want, he’s still my favorite author.

mae
05-17-2018, 01:17 PM
So is The Outsider the Holly book? The confusion continues:

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/996760112550301697

THE OUTSIDER is NOT a Hodges book. It's a stand-alone.

It can still be a Holly book and also be not a Hodges book technically, if he's not in it.

herbertwest
05-17-2018, 01:44 PM
May 18th
Entertainment Weekly
The May 25th issue of Entertainment Weekly contains an excerpt from THE OUTSIDER, and it will be available May 18th. Read an excerpt of THE OUTSIDER online and in the magazine.
> http://ew.com/

mae
05-17-2018, 04:39 PM
https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/ew1515_832649324423904.jpg

Bev Vincent
05-18-2018, 10:03 AM
Exclusive excerpt from EW (http://ew.com/books/2018/05/18/stephen-king-the-outsider-excerpt/): Stephen King's The Outsider gets a chilling first look (+ audio excerpt)

mae
05-18-2018, 01:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI7ryxLWXq0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uADoORD84rY

Merlin1958
05-18-2018, 02:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI7ryxLWXq0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uADoORD84rY

Cool!!! Thanks for that, Mae!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Brian861
05-21-2018, 05:34 AM
This was stated in the SK Newsletter. Will there be no more BCE of his titles?

THE OUTSIDER will not be available through The Stephen King Library or any of Bookspan's clubs, and neither will any Stephen King books coming down the foreseeable road. Stephen King Library members should get their books for future releases elsewhere and by other means.

The Stephen King Library can be contacted through their website

Father Cody
05-21-2018, 05:45 AM

THE OUTSIDER will not be available through The Stephen King Library or any of Bookspan's clubs, and neither will any Stephen King books coming down the foreseeable road. Stephen King Library members should get their books for future releases elsewhere and by other means.

What do you think, will BCEs become slightly more collectible now?

Brian861
05-21-2018, 05:56 AM

What do you think, will BCEs become slightly more collectible now?

Seriously doubt it. I've been a member for years as they are cheaper reading copies.

Bev Vincent
05-21-2018, 07:20 AM
My review (http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/the-outsider-review/). The deeper into it you go, the more likely you are to encounter something you might consider a spoiler, although I try not to reveal too much.

biomieg
05-21-2018, 07:43 AM
Great review, Bev - really looking forward to this one!

Cordial Jim
05-22-2018, 05:19 PM
My book arrived today. Can't wait to dive into it! :) Somewhat surprised King didn't update his back-flap photo. The photo they used is going back quite a few years. I wish they had used an updated 2018 photo. He looks great today! :)

mae
05-22-2018, 05:26 PM
I must say I really like the tactile feel of the dust jacket. I hope they do that type of design more often.

RichardX
05-23-2018, 11:44 AM
It's nice to be in 2018 and still getting a new King book. I've started reading and the narrative technique of intertwining the police interviews reminds me a bit of how newspaper articles were used in Carrie.

cowboy_ed
05-24-2018, 07:24 PM
Arc sodium on page 38! Ding ding ding!

Ricky
05-25-2018, 05:38 AM
:lol:

Bev Vincent
06-15-2018, 02:04 AM
Stephen King Just Wants to Tell Stories. His Readers Want Trump-Era Resistance. (https://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/stephen-king-the-outsider-donald-trump-resistance-twitter?utm_term=.vmqNpAbE3#.vmqNpAbE3)

The iconic author’s new novel The Outsider has nothing to do with politics, but it can’t escape that reading.