PDA

View Full Version : Best Movie Scene Tournament: Round 3 - Group 15 of 32

T-Dogz_AK47
08-03-2017, 01:16 PM
During the third round of The Best Movie Scene Tournament, please vote for up to two movie scenes you would like to move onto the next round. The top two movie scenes will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given movie scene receives will determine its standing going forward.

IMPORTANT! Please do not simply vote on name recognition (or lack thereof) alone. Please do watch each nomination and then make your choice. Even if you think you know a movie scene well, it's still worth watching for a refresher.

Please remember that his tournament is for Best Scene, not Best Movie.
It's important to therefore judge each nomination on its individual merits and NOT by the entire movie.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are:

Head Spin - The Exorcist (1973)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSxuXQCEC7M

"You can't handle the truth!" - A Few Good Men (1992)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_frM44bBMfA

Earn This - Saving Private Ryan (1998)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv-67DFlOsM

Gold Watch scene - Pulp Fiction (1994)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWp6hZ-5ndc

Still Servant
08-03-2017, 07:16 PM
It looks like we never did anything about the fact that Saving Private Ryan got the same scene in twice. The "Earn This" scene is the same as the Saving Private Ryan "End Scene."

T-Dogz_AK47
08-03-2017, 08:30 PM
It looks like we never did anything about the fact that Saving Private Ryan got the same scene in twice. The "Earn This" scene is the same as the Saving Private Ryan "End Scene."

No they are not. They are two separate scenes, set during two separate time periods. Although they are appear linear (the end of "Earn This" is the beginning of the "End Scene"), they can be viewed as being independent from each other, due to the different location, actors and time period set.

Still Servant
08-05-2017, 05:08 AM
They can be viewed that way, for me, I've always viewed them together as one scene. In order to understand the end scene, you have to have seen the previous scene that takes place in WWII, what we are dubbing the "Earn This scene." If you're somebody who has never seen Saving Private Ryan, just watching the end scene might be somewhat confusing. You also lose the fact that Tom Hanks's character whispered "Earn this" in his ear before he died.

I just feel like both scenes work better together and would have opened up a spot for another scene if they were combined.

T-Dogz_AK47
08-05-2017, 11:51 AM
They can be viewed that way, for me, I've always viewed them together as one scene. In order to understand the end scene, you have to have seen the previous scene that takes place in WWII, what we are dubbing the "Earn This scene." If you're somebody who has never seen Saving Private Ryan, just watching the end scene might be somewhat confusing. You also lose the fact that Tom Hanks's character whispered "Earn this" in his ear before he died.

I just feel like both scenes work better together and would have opened up a spot for another scene if they were combined.

On reflection I agree with you, but it's far too late to even consider combining scenes at this point.

Still Servant
08-07-2017, 05:38 PM

On reflection I agree with you, but it's far too late to even consider combining scenes at this point.

Agreed. It is what it is.

T-Dogz_AK47
08-10-2017, 08:05 PM
The poll has closed and the following movie scenes are moving on to the next round:

Head Spin - The Exorcist (1973) 72.22%
"You can't handle the truth!" - A Few Good Men (1992) 66.67%

And the following are eliminated:

Gold Watch scene - Pulp Fiction (1994) 33.33%
Earn This - Saving Private Ryan (1998) 16.67%