PDA

View Full Version : New film version of Firestarter

mae
12-14-2010, 06:06 AM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/12/13/universal-de-laurentiis-rebooting-stephen-kings-firestarter/

Variety (via JoBlo) is reporting that Universal and the Dino De Laurentiis Company are teaming up for a brand new reboot of Firestarter, which was originally based on the 1980 Stephen King novel. The movie, which earned $17 million at the box office back in 1984, starred Drew Barrymore in another one of her very early roles as a girl with the ability to start fires at will. No sequels were made and plot details for the reboot are being kept under wraps, except that it'll be "loosely based on the original King book, but the main character is to be reinvented with a little more edge."

"We see this as a unique, character-driven thriller with a supernatural edge, based on a timeless concept and enhanced by recent visual effects advances," Martha De Laurentiis said. A girl being able to start fires is a timless concept? Okay. Anyway, the project was one of the last that legendary producer Dino De Laurentiis worked on before his death in November at age 91. "Firestarter has a great mythology and with Martha and Lorenzo's vision we believe the franchise can be extended in a new and exciting direction," said Uni's Debbie Liebling. Mark L. Smith (Vacancy, The Hole) is writing the script, but they haven't looked at directors yet.

Brice
12-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I liked the original. They should leave it be.

Merlin1958
12-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Apparently, Charlie will be ressurected:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47739

Thoughts?

Merlin1958
12-15-2010, 05:14 PM
No one interested? I thought that in light of the DT movie deal this was kinda telling, no?

Plus Charlie has to be one of my top three King Characters along with Roland (of course) and Danny Torrance. Followed closely by Jack Sawyer and Randall Flagg.

Mattrick
12-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Hope it isn't special effects heavy. This movie would have been great five years ago when Dakota Fanning could have played the role. They need to get decent actors to get Rainbird and the father across.

I liked the original though, one of the few king horror adaptation I like...most are pretty bad.

Merlin1958
12-17-2010, 03:24 PM
They were somewhat sketchy in the announcement about what they are planning to do with it except that they see it as a franchise and that Charlie will be edgier. To me that might indicate that they will only visit the events of the first movie as maybe a sort of "flashback". Making Charlie "Edgy" would seem to require building her character Post-Shop debacle so Rainbird, the Dad and the Shop director would all be dead. But I'm just guessing here. There is really no defnitive info in the announcement.

haunted.lunchbox
12-17-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm not diggin' the reboot. There are other works they could take on, this just seems like the wrong time. In regards to Dakota Fanning, she has a little sister who is starting to act.

Merlin1958
12-17-2010, 06:58 PM
LOL Damn you're good Pablo!!!! Fair is fair, Brice can you merge my thread into this one?

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11745-Firestarter-Re-Boot

Roland of Gilead 33
01-16-2011, 01:00 AM
uh why remake this? doesn't 'SK" have other books that could be movies? such as say "The Long Walk" ? numerous short stories. & so on. why remake a classic? since they are also remaking "IT" last i heard on that one why remake it? & shorten that one as well? it's just plain stupid if ya ask me

Kidd Ikarus
01-16-2011, 01:13 AM
I don't understand how studios keep referring to sequels or reboots of movies made almost 30 years ago . . . And most that haven't even been optioned yet as a franchise . . . The "Firestarter franchise"? It was an adaptation of a book made in 1984. Just because some production company wants to remake it doesn't make it a franchise. At least not yet anyway . . . I'm sure if it does get made, they'll make 3 or 4 shitty sequels and probably a prequel for good measure afterwards.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-16-2011, 03:02 PM
well said well said. i think & i just thought of this actually. is that since they did a tv movie sequel some years back. which i actually liked. a lot of people didn't. they refer to that as a franchise. i love the comment made by "Rob Zombie" when he made the film "The Devils Rejets"

the studio's told him you are destroying the franchise by killing of the characters, he goes fuck the franchise i didn't write these movies to make a franchise i made these movies to tell a story. & it's one story. i think i read that on 'Fangoria" website some years back when that 1st came out. i

think it was? & the answer to your question is why do they keep going back to these films? the answer is simple & i think everyone here will agree with me, "Hollywood" has Run out of idea's yes they every once in a blue moon come out with something original this is true. but if it's a hit, they do countless sequels & bleed it to death. "halloween" for example SHOULD have just ended in (1998) when "H2O" came out.

nobody needed another "halloween" film. "Friday the 13" is another one they SHOULD have ended years ago as well. i would say "SAW" as well but to be fair that's really the only series that i can think of that tells one long story that has countless sequels. in that series there's sequels that are better than others. & all that.

kinda of how did we REALLY NEED what 12 or so or however 'Children of the corn" sequels? no i think not. i love the 1st one. i don't think i've seen any of the sequels cept the one that "David Carradine" did i even forget which one he did. that's also another that didn't NEED to be remade as well.

but than what do we know ya know?

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Eyes of the Dragon and The Talisman. Otherwise stfu and gbtw Hollywood!

Kidd Ikarus
01-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I did not know about the tv sequel . . . But I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about Hollywood. There is no originality left in that town anymore.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-16-2011, 03:32 PM
really? it came out in (2002) & this really isn't a spoiler but a plot, in the tv movie "Charlie" in the film has trouble keeping the fire under control.
& it comes out at bad times like if she's horny. cause she's an adult in it. & "Malcom Mcdowall" takes over for "George C.Scott" you are asking how

is that character in the sequel if he was killed in the original film? "hollywood" look at "Donald Pleasence" in "Halloween 2" he was blown up with Michael both of them were

yet in Part 4 they both are alive & kicking. anyways it also aired on "The Scifi-Channel" well back when it was still a good channel & still called that. it i believe was a pilot for an option for a tv series. which never happend. to bad cause the films leaves you on a cliff-hanger. errrrrgh! & i believe 'Dennis Hopper" is in it as well. playing i think a good guy for a change in it.

CoolhandLocke
02-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Ugh please don't remake this one, leave it be. As it's been said in the thread already there are other good works of his that deserve a shot...The Long Walk is the one I'm waiting for but i only want Frank Darabont to touch it, he has the right idea with what he wants from it..

Roland of Gilead 33
02-05-2011, 01:18 AM
well said. don't get me started on the 3,0000000000000 'Children of the corn Sequels' each one worst than the last. also wasn't "The Eyes of the dragon' SUPPOSE To be made by some company in Japan, not sure if it was going to be in english mind you.

but last i heard they were going to turn it into a cartoon of some sorts? CGI i think? bear in mind it's been a few years since i last heard anything.
& i find it funny as hell that the "IMDB" still has 'The Talisman" on their list of fims for well (2011) & ups to the the next year each year to the current year. to my best of knowledge on that, "TNT" was going to do it but they cancelled it cause it would have cost to much money to make.

again it's been a couple years since i last heard that.

Blaine Is A Pain
02-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Yeah, this idea for a remake does not sound good at all. I liked the original for what it was. The buy that played the dad was kind of dull but not to bad.

Merlin1958
02-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, this idea for a remake does not sound good at all. I liked the original for what it was. The buy that played the dad was kind of dull but not to bad.

Ummmm, Ok whatever you say!!!!!!!!!!

:orely:

Bev Vincent
04-28-2017, 02:35 AM
Akiva Goldsman Will Write and Direct a New Version of Stephen King’s ‘Firestarter,’ Produced By Blumhouse (http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/stephen-king-firestarter-akiva-goldsman-jason-blum-blumhouse-1201810372/)

mae
04-28-2017, 02:50 AM
Could be good. Could be bad.

herbertwest
04-28-2017, 03:17 AM
Blumhouse is behind it, so i'd say that it should be good.
Although, MERCY was bad and I think they usually stick with a 5M budget

CyberGhostface
04-28-2017, 05:14 AM
Hopefully they cast an actual Native American this time around for the role of Rainbird.

St. Troy
04-28-2017, 05:17 AM
Hopefully they cast an actual Native American this time around for the role of Rainbird.

Tom Cruise, comin' right up.

mae
04-28-2017, 05:20 AM
There was also this, a while back: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18321-The-Shop-TNT-developing-sequel-to-Firestarter

mikeC
04-28-2017, 05:57 AM
With CGI the way it is I'm surprised it took this long to be remade.

St. Troy
04-28-2017, 06:28 AM
On one hand, I wouldn't have high hopes for this because Firestarter seems like a classic example of source material that tempts adaptors (clumsy way of saying "those that would adapt it") to move in entirely the wrong direction - because the novel isn't about fire and special effects.

On the other hand, Blumhouse does nice work; they may just understand this.

mae
04-28-2017, 06:43 AM
Two words: Akiva Goldsman

mikeC
04-28-2017, 07:28 AM

Lolz you're killing it today.

webstar1000
04-28-2017, 07:39 AM

Pardon my ignorance... fill me in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelinJack
04-28-2017, 12:03 PM
So, is it a sequel or a reboot? I was looking at the old thread, seemed like a sequel. They need to get that girl that played Eleven in Stranger Things!

Merlin1958
04-29-2017, 04:44 PM
So, is it a sequel or a reboot? I was looking at the old thread, seemed like a sequel. They need to get that girl that played Eleven in Stranger Things!

I believe it is a reboot, but a sequel, done right, would be awesome!!! I always expected, Charlie and Danny to make an appearance in TDT at the end and always wanted to know more about their respective stories. Of course we have, "Dr. Sleep", but what about, Charlie?

CyberGhostface
05-01-2017, 08:31 AM

It's a remake or reboot of the original story. Millie would be great.

I believe it is a reboot, but a sequel, done right, would be awesome!!! I always expected, Charlie and Danny to make an appearance in TDT at the end and always wanted to know more about their respective stories. Of course we have, "Dr. Sleep", but what about, Charlie?

O/t but one of the reasons why I'm glad that King did Dr. Sleep was he had made an earlier comment during his tour for 'Rose Madder' that Danny would probably be beating up his kids due to the cycle of abuse. So I was happy to see that was wrong and that he turned out 'ok' in the end.

needfulthings
05-02-2017, 10:03 AM
1982 (UNFILMED) FIRESTARTER SCRIPT TO BE FILMED AFTER THE THING BY JOHN CARPENTER.
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/6569/YbfSyn.jpg

mae
06-28-2018, 03:46 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/firestarter-remake-director/

The Stephen King adaptations keep on coming. The latest: Faith Akin, director of In the Fade and Goodbye Berlin, has been hired to helm a Firestarter remake for Universal Pictures and Blumhouse. The film will be another adaptation of King’s 1980 novel about a girl with pyrokinetic abilities. Drew Barrymore starred in the 1984 adaptation of the King novel.

Sooner or later, the Stephen King adaptation bubble is going to burst. For now, though, studios are moving full steam ahead to cash-in on the King kraze. Variety is reporting that filmmaker Faith Akin will direct a remake of King’s Firestarter for Universal Pictures, Akiva Goldsman, and Blumhouse Productions. Goldsman will produce along with Jason Blum of Blumhouse. Scott Teems, a writer for shows Narcos and Rectify, will write the script.

Firestarter was the sixth book King published, and it’s not what I’d call his best work. But everyone wants to be in the Stephen King business right now, so producers are going to take what they can get. Here’s the book’s synopsis:

The Department of Scientific Intelligence (aka “The Shop”) never anticipated that two participants in their research program would marry and have a child. Charlie McGee inherited pyrokinetic powers from her parents, who had been given a low-grade hallucinogen called “Lot Six” while at college. Now the government is trying to capture young Charlie and harness her powerful firestarting skills as a weapon.

Faith Akin is a very interesting choice for this project. He’s not someone I’d consider a horror filmmaker, but I’m curious to see what he does with this material. The book was adapted into a somewhat dull 1984 film by director Mark L. Lester, with a cast that included David Keith, Drew Barrymore, Martin Sheen and George C. Scott.

In 2002, the Sci Fi Channel aired a miniseries sequel to the film, Firestarter: Rekindled. Wet Hot American Summer‘s Marguerite Moreau starred as the adult version of Barrymore’s character, Charlie McGee. Danny Nucci, Dennis Hopper, and Malcolm McDowell also appeared. It was awful and you should avoid it at all costs.

The Firestarter remake grows an ever-expanding list of King films and TV shows that will be coming our way very soon. King movie and TV adaptations are nothing new, but after the blockbuster success of 2017’s It, Stephen King is a hot commodity again. Upcoming titles include Pet Sematary, It Chapter 2 ; Hulu’s Castle Rock; Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining; The Long Walk; The Tommyknockers; a 10-hour miniseries adaptation of The Stand; The Bone Church; Amazon’s Dark Tower series; Netflix’s In The Tall Grass; and The Gingerbread Girl.

Merlin1958
06-28-2018, 04:36 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

CyberGhostface
06-29-2018, 06:14 AM
What do you guys think of Zahn McClarnon as Rainbird?

https://abload.de/img/14mcclarnon-articlelauzs8a.jpg

He played a great ruthless assassin in 'Fargo' and they'd be casting an actual Native American this time around.

Bev Vincent
06-29-2018, 06:16 AM

He played a great ruthless assassin in 'Fargo' and they'd be casting an actual Native American this time around.

He was awesome in Westworld, and pretty good on Longmire.

St. Troy
06-29-2018, 06:22 AM

I saw him in Fargo - he's the guy.

Stockerlone
06-30-2018, 04:38 AM
‘In the Fade’ Director Fatih Akin to Helm Stephen King’s ‘Firestarter’ Remake for Universal and Blumhouse

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni62113806

https://www.morgenpost.de/vermischtes/article214723663/Fatih-Akin-verfilmt-Stephen-Kings-Roman-Feuerkind.html

Brian861
07-01-2018, 07:36 AM

He was awesome in Westworld, and pretty good on Longmire.

Completely agree! 1st round pick for the part all the way. Awesome actor.

P.S. 8+ years in the making. That didn't turn out to well for TDT.

Merlin1958
01-23-2019, 02:10 PM
BUMP

Any new info on this one out there in the film ether?

Randall Flagg
01-23-2019, 02:30 PM
BUMP

I had some but it evaporated before I could post.

Merlin1958
01-23-2019, 02:49 PM
BUMP

I had some but it evaporated before I could post.

Comedian, huh? :wtf:

mae
12-16-2019, 07:29 PM
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/universal-blumhouses-firestarter-vigil-director-1203440204/

Universal Pictures, Blumhouse Productions and Weed Road Productions are ramping up the adaptation of “Firestarter.” Keith Thomas has been tapped to direct the reboot based on Stephen King’s novel. Sources exclusively tell Variety that Blumhouse also acquired domestic distribution rights to Thomas’ upcoming horror film “The Vigil.”

Scott Teems, who penned Universal and Blumhouse’s “Halloween” sequel “Halloween Kills,” is adapting the screenplay. King’s original story follows a young girl who develops pyro-kinetic abilities and is abducted by a secret government agency that wants to harness her powerful gift as a weapon.

Sources tell Variety that Blumhouse wanted to board the project after being blown away upon seeing “The Vigil” world premiere at the Toronto Film Festival. JD Lifshitz and Raphael Margules at Boulderlight and Adam Margules of Angry Adam Productions are producers on “The Vigil.”

“Every once in a while you see a film that grasps and shakes you. ‘Vigil’ did that for us, and we were eager to be a part of the film and to work with Keith and the BoulderLight team,” Blum said in a statement.”

Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road Productions will also produce “Firestarter,” along with, Martha De Laurentiis, who was an associate producer on the 1984’s “Firestarter” with Drew Barrymore, will executive produce.” Elle Driver recently acquired the international sales rights out of TIFF.

Blum and Goldsman previously worked together on the “Paranormal Activity” franchise and “Stephanie.”

King’s books have been box-office goldmines with recent adaptations of “It” and “Pet Sematary” becoming commerical hits.

Thomas is is represented by CAA, Antonio D’Intino at Circle of Confusion and Peter Sample at Jackoway Tyerman.

mae
04-22-2020, 10:18 AM
https://movieweb.com/firestarter-remake-production-start-date-2020/

We have a little update on the status of the Firestarter remake. Stephen King is one of the hottest brands in all of entertainment right now, in no small part thanks to the massive success of both IT and IT Chapter Two. King's 1980 novel has been on Universal's to-do list for some time now. As revealed to us by screenwriter Scott Teems, the movie is, or at least was, eyed to begin production sometime this year.

I recently had the chance to speak with Scott Teems in honor of his new movie The Quarry being released digitally. During our conversation, I asked about the status of Firestarter. According to Teems, Universal and Blumhouse Productions are eager to get this one going. Here's what he had to say about it.

"I'm still the writer. We just got a new director named Keith Thomas and he made a great film called The Vigil coming up this year, and Universal and Blumhouse, they want to make Firestarter. It has always been an important project to them. I think we're making active steps toward that happening this year. You know, the industry shut down notwithstanding, and that may change things, but right now, I'm really hopeful that it might happen this year."

Currently Hollywood is at a standstill until social distancing orders are lifted and productions can find a way to resume safely. That will unquestionably impact whatever plans studios had, but it seems safe to assume Firestarter isn't something they are going to scrap, as it has a great deal of potential. As Scott Teems mentions, Keith Thomas was brought on board to direct the Stephen King adaptation in December of last year, signaling the project had gained some new steam. The remake was initially announced in April 2017.

Firestarter centers on an organization called the Department of Scientific Intelligence, aka "The Shop." Two participants in their mysterious research program end up getting married and having a child. Their offspring, Charlie McGee, inherited pyrokinetic powers from her parents, who were given a low-grade hallucinogen called "Lot Six" during their college years. Now the government is trying to apprehend the young Charlie in order to harness her powerful and unique skills as a weapon. There is no word on casting currently and the big question is who will be tapped to play Charlie this time around.

Mark L. Lester previously helmed an adaptation of the novel which was released in 1984 which starred Drew Barrymore as Charlie. It proved to be modestly successful, though far from a runaway hit. A TV miniseries titled Firestarter: Rekindled was also released in 2002. Universal has not yet set a release date for the new adaptation, but we'll be sure to keep you posted as any further information is made available. In the meantime, Scott Teems' new movie The Quarry is available via On Demand now from Lionsgate.

Merlin1958
04-22-2020, 11:57 AM

Bev Vincent
09-29-2020, 01:41 PM
Zac Efron will be Andy McGee in ‘Firestarter’ Remake from Blumhouse (https://collider.com/zac-efron-firestarter-remake-blumhouse/)

Merlin1958
09-30-2020, 12:35 AM
I feel compelled to say that I always thought the original version was a grossly under rated version. They'll always take a few liberties here and there but the general spirit of the book was fairly well maintained IMHO

Bev Vincent
09-30-2020, 02:04 AM
King has always said that he feels nothing of himself in the movie -- the story is all there, but he isn't.

Brian861
09-30-2020, 10:31 AM
I feel compelled to say that I always thought the original version was a grossly under rated version. They'll always take a few liberties here and there but the general spirit of the book was fairly well maintained IMHO

Agreed, Bill. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of the Pet Sematary remake. Surely King didn't feel anything of himself in that dumpster fire.

webstar1000
09-30-2020, 03:58 PM
Zac Efron will be Andy McGee in ‘Firestarter’ Remake from Blumhouse (https://collider.com/zac-efron-firestarter-remake-blumhouse/)
I like Zac a lot. This is good!

Bev Vincent
02-10-2021, 12:41 PM
Michael Greyeyes Cast as Rainbird (https://dailydead.com/michael-greyeyes-cast-as-rainbird-in-new-adaptation-of-stephen-kings-firestarter/)

Randall Flagg
02-10-2021, 04:18 PM
He looks more the part than George C Scott.

Merlin1958
02-10-2021, 04:25 PM
He looks more the part than George C Scott.

Brian861
02-16-2021, 01:46 PM
Michael Greyeyes Cast as Rainbird (https://dailydead.com/michael-greyeyes-cast-as-rainbird-in-new-adaptation-of-stephen-kings-firestarter/)

Great choice.

mae
04-29-2021, 06:24 AM
https://www.thespec.com/entertainment/movies/2021/04/29/hamilton-movie-shoots-firestarter-stephen-king-remake-zac-efron.html

Zac Efron is coming to Hamilton.

The actor probably best known for playing Troy Bolton in the “High School Musical” trilogy from Disney will be in the city to film a remake of “Firestarter.”

Reports say the film from Blumhouse/Universal Studios will also be filmed in Toronto. The phone number for the production company is a Hamilton number. Shooting is expected to run between May 25 and July 21, says the government agency Ontario Creates.

“Firestarter” is based on the 1980 Stephen King horror/sci-fi novel. It is about a couple — Andy and Vicky McGee — who take part in a college medical experiment, gain telepathic powers, and then have a child, Charlie, who is pyrokinetic. A secret U.S. government agency known as The Shop seeks to imprison Charlie and study her.

The first film came out in 1984 and starred Drew Barrymore as Charlie. David Keith and Heather Locklear played her parents. The film also featured George C. Scott as assassin John Rainbird, as well as Martin Sheen, Art Carney and Louise Fletcher.

The remake will feature Efron playing Andy McGee. Michael Greyeyes, a Cree man from Saskatchewan who is featured in the new Ed Helm comedy series “Rutherford Falls” (Peacock/Showcase in Canada), will play Rainbird.

This is likely not Efron’s first time to Hamilton. He was in the musical “Hairspray” and it shot scenes at Queen Victoria Elementary School on Forest Avenue in 2006.

Since then, he has been in such other films as “Neighbours” (2014), “Dirty Grandpa” (2016) and “Baywatch” (2017).

Director Keith Thomas is planning on exploring other aspects of the novel.

“I’m excited about doing a different, a new adaptation of the book, and getting into some things the original film didn’t,” he told CinemaBlend in February.

Hamilton may also have another visit from Stephen King to see how filming is going. He came to the city to see filming of the miniseries adaptation of his 2011 novel “11.22.63” in 2015. The series starred James Franco.

Brian861
04-30-2021, 04:08 PM
This is a somewhat bothersome statement to me.

“I’m excited about doing a different, a new adaptation of the book, and getting into some things the original film didn’t,” he told CinemaBlend in February.

St. Troy
05-01-2021, 11:13 AM
This is a somewhat bothersome statement to me.

It got my attention as well. For me, it depends on whether this means increasing (good) or decreasing (bad) the fidelity to the novel.

CyberGhostface
06-02-2021, 12:17 PM
First look at Ryan Kiera Armstrong as Charlie.

https://abload.de/img/fire-e162266014736910j3t.jpg

https://deadline.com/2021/06/firestarter-first-look-photo-ryan-kiera-armstrong-lead-role-1234768087/

Merlin1958
06-02-2021, 05:11 PM
She works so far. lol

Brian861
06-03-2021, 08:42 AM
If looks could kill :evil:

Ari_Racing
01-12-2022, 10:29 AM
Firestarter has been rated R:

https://comicbook.com/horror/news/firestarter-reboot-gets-official-rating/

MikeDuke
01-12-2022, 10:55 AM
Firestarter has been rated R:

https://comicbook.com/horror/news/firestarter-reboot-gets-official-rating/
As it should. I am reading it for the first time and even though I haven't seen the movie in years,
I can still picture the movie in my head. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

CyberGhostface
02-09-2022, 08:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59MJfJPP5eo

mae
02-09-2022, 08:38 AM
Looks AWESOME! :excited:

Bev Vincent
02-09-2022, 08:47 AM
NBCUniversal announced that Firestarter will release in both theaters and on Peacock May 13.

mae
02-09-2022, 08:49 AM
Like how they're using the font from the hardcover for the title!

St. Troy
02-09-2022, 02:15 PM
Looks like they took a few liberties, but still looks good.

Brian861
02-09-2022, 02:56 PM
I'm liking what I saw in the trailer. I don't mind different as long as it's done well.

RichardX
02-09-2022, 03:01 PM
John Carpenter doing the movie score is interesting.

RichardX
02-10-2022, 08:22 AM
I wonder if King had to do it over again in these times if he writes a book in which defiant parents try to protect their kid from the government? And the bad guy is a Native America etc. Just shows how much has changed since the book was written. If he wrote Firestarter today, the government would likely be saving the kid from dangerous parents who weren't capable of understanding the risks.

CyberGhostface
02-10-2022, 08:29 AM
He had an evil government book three years ago?

RichardX
02-10-2022, 08:59 AM
He had an evil government book three years ago?

Still acceptable then. Not today.

CyberGhostface
02-10-2022, 09:17 AM
Is this antivaxxer wank? :yawn:

St. Troy
02-10-2022, 09:57 AM
John Carpenter doing the movie score is interesting.

Yes it is.

RichardX
02-10-2022, 09:57 AM

No, but your rude response proves my point on how times have changed.

CyberGhostface
02-10-2022, 10:01 AM

No, but your rude response proves my point on how times have changed.

When you said "the government would likely be saving the kid from dangerous parents who weren't capable of understanding the risks", what were you making reference to given that it was something that would have occurred after 2019?

St. Troy
02-10-2022, 10:03 AM
I wonder if King had to do it over again in these times if he writes a book in which defiant parents try to protect their kid from the government? And the bad guy is a Native America etc. Just shows how much has changed since the book was written. If he wrote Firestarter today, the government would likely be saving the kid from dangerous parents who weren't capable of understanding the risks.

I share your concern for his ability to consider certain topics without reflexively going down a certain road defined by his feelings about specific current events (I'm not recommending he ignore current events; I'm recommending he realizes he is writing fiction, as in "any resemblance to actual persons etc. is purely coincidental").

I'm not saying he can't do this; I'm saying I'm concerned (much of Elevation - which, on balance, I really liked - felt like it was focus-grouped by the people who advised him to back off his short-lived "the best movie should be the Best Movie" stance).

St. Troy
02-10-2022, 10:05 AM

One man's "antivaxxer wank" is another's "antiauthoritarian commentary."

CyberGhostface
02-10-2022, 10:06 AM
Here we go...

St. Troy
02-10-2022, 10:10 AM
Anyway:

Zac Efron will be Andy McGee in ‘Firestarter’ Remake from Blumhouse

...I didn't even recognize Zac until like halfway through the trailer (a good sign, for me). I agree; he's not bad.

mae
02-10-2022, 10:12 AM
Please refrain from personal attacks based around politics and other issues. This is for discussing the upcoming film adaptation of Firestarter. Thank you.

St. Troy
02-10-2022, 10:18 AM
Firestarter is one of those early King works that, I think, doesn't get quite the attention that the others get (I feel the same about The Dead Zone) and I'm glad to see it get what looks like a good update.

mae
02-10-2022, 10:44 AM
I agree, Firestarter is actually one of my favorites of the early King, that first decade or so, along with Cujo.

Brian861
02-11-2022, 10:36 AM
Firestarter is one of those early King works that, I think, doesn't get quite the attention that the others get (I feel the same about The Dead Zone) and I'm glad to see it get what looks like a good update.

Two of my all time favorite King books. Looking forward to this update. The Dead Zone film for me is fine where it is. I hope a great update of Christine is around the corner.

St. Troy
02-11-2022, 11:00 AM
I also like the Dead Zone film; nothing in it doesn't work.

As for Christine, I find the film a bit hokey (and therefore possibly in need of a good update), but then, I also found the novel a bit hokey, and since the movie matches, maybe we don't need another one (although I'm always curious to see what new filmmakers do with King).

Brian861
02-11-2022, 11:05 AM
I also like the Dead Zone film; nothing in it doesn't work.

As for Christine, I find the film a bit hokey (and therefore possibly in need of a good update), but then, I also found the novel a bit hokey, and since the movie matches, maybe we don't need another one (although I'm always curious to see what new filmmakers do with King).

As long as it didn't become The Fast and The Furious 28, I think we'd be fine.

Merlin1958
02-12-2022, 02:13 PM
Please refrain from personal attacks based around politics and other issues. This is for discussing the upcoming film adaptation of Firestarter. Thank you.

Yeah!! What, Mae said!!! :crow burp::wtf::wtf:

mae
02-12-2022, 02:39 PM
Trailer breakdown: https://shows.acast.com/losersclub/episodes/breaking-down-the-firestarter-trailer

Iwritecode
04-21-2022, 06:15 AM
I just saw a trailer for this last night and had completely forgotten about it.

It's gonna be in theaters in a few weeks.

Bev Vincent
04-21-2022, 09:24 AM
And streaming on Peacock the same day

Bev Vincent
04-21-2022, 09:27 AM
John Carpenter Announces Firestarter Soundtrack, Shares New Song: Listen (https://pitchfork.com/news/john-carpenter-announces-firestarter-soundtrack-shares-new-song-listen/)

herbertwest
04-21-2022, 11:57 PM
The link doesnt work, but here it is :
https://pitchfork.com/news/john-carpenter-announces-firestarter-soundtrack-shares-new-song-listen/

Merlin1958
04-26-2022, 08:27 PM
The trailer looked kind of promising but, then again most trailers do, don't they? lol We'll see soon enough I suppose.

Bev Vincent
04-29-2022, 12:49 PM
Zac Efron is a Real ‘Firestarter’ in Over 20 Images from Peacock’s Stephen King Movie (https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3713077/zac-efron-firestarter-stephen-king/)

Jon
04-29-2022, 05:17 PM
The trailer looked kind of promising but, then again most trailers do, don't they? lol We'll see soon enough I suppose.

Not so for the trailer my Uncle /daddy Tim and Auntie/ FWB Anna live in!!

St. Troy
04-30-2022, 01:22 PM
Zac Efron is a Real ‘Firestarter’ in Over 20 Images from Peacock’s Stephen King Movie (https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3713077/zac-efron-firestarter-stephen-king/)

Looks like it's coming along well.

ratchet41
05-01-2022, 10:44 PM
i've actually never read all of Firestarter i dunno why i just haven't i love the (1984) film and consider it one of my favorte child hood movies. i've always wanted to know why he never put The Shop in pretty much anything else the only other thing i think that uses it is Golden Years (1991) i think it was used in maybe one or two more things but i can't really remember to be honest. The Dead Zone i think i think gets more attention than Firestarter part of it but not the whole reason is cause of the show. i have not seen the firestarter trailer yet my brother has seen it though and he thinks it looks like shit and has no intention on watching it.

Merlin1958
05-04-2022, 04:13 AM
i've actually never read all of Firestarter i dunno why i just haven't i love the (1984) film and consider it one of my favorte child hood movies. i've always wanted to know why he never put The Shop in pretty much anything else the only other thing i think that uses it is Golden Years (1991) i think it was used in maybe one or two more things but i can't really remember to be honest. The Dead Zone i think i think gets more attention than Firestarter part of it but not the whole reason is cause of the show. i have not seen the firestarter trailer yet my brother has seen it though and he thinks it looks like shit and has no intention on watching it.

IMO "The Shop" and "The Institute" are close cousins!! lol

TDZ may get more buzz but, the show didn't really shine for me I prefer the "Firestarter" film (and book). Ummm, you better put it close to the top of your reding list, mister!!! lol

jreitan47
05-04-2022, 05:28 AM
Just completed a re-read of FIRESTARTER in anticipation of the new movie. I think this is my fourth time reading it, and it's just as good as when I read it as a teen!

Merlin1958
05-04-2022, 11:07 AM
Just completed a re-read of FIRESTARTER in anticipation of the new movie. I think this is my fourth time reading it, and it's just as good as when I read it as a teen!

:clap::clap::clap:

I will no doubt view this film of course however, I'm sure the original will top it even if just by a hair. I mean, Barrymore was just freaking awesome and you just can't stop, Martin Sheen!!! LOL

I have to say though, Blumhouse usually does films/subject matter in horror better than most. Should be interesting for sure.

Bev Vincent
05-12-2022, 08:56 AM
Well, this sucks, if true:

Sadly for viewers who were hoping they could watch the film free with a Peacock trial, the service discontinued this at the end of last year. Though the surface does have a free tier, this only offers a limited number of programs and films — and Firestarter won't be one of them for the time being.

This means that the cheapest way to watch the film will be to pay for a month of Peacock. The streamer offers two paid tiers. You can watch the movie with commercials as part of the Peacock Premium package, which costs $4.99 a month or $49.99 a year, or you can watch without advertisements with a Peacock Premium Plus account at $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year.

CyberGhostface
05-12-2022, 09:41 AM
Hope I'm wrong but this is looking to be a stinker. There's been almost zero promotion at a time where such a film would be an easy sell (given how similar the concept is to Stranger Things), there seems to be a review embargo for American critics and the early reviews on Letterboxd from people who have seen it are generally negative.

herbertwest
05-13-2022, 02:19 AM
I wonder if they got any cool promos or anything else :

https://www.wabi.tv/2022/05/13/stephen-king-superfans-show-out-exclusive-firestarter-premier/

Bev Vincent
05-13-2022, 03:19 AM
We've got this covered: ‘Firestarter’ reviews spell doom for the hyped Stephen King adaptation (https://wegotthiscovered.com/news/firestarter-reviews-spell-doom-for-the-hyped-stephen-king-adaptation/)

Ben Mears
05-13-2022, 04:17 AM
WIll check it out on DVD when my library receives a copy.

mae
05-13-2022, 04:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqoejLSY84o

Bev Vincent
05-13-2022, 06:07 AM
That is a terrific (albeit strongly negative) review.

Ricky
05-13-2022, 01:41 PM
I have zero interest in seeing this.

Kongo
05-14-2022, 08:47 AM
$5 to watch on Peacock wasn't bad at all. That being said, the movie was aggressively average. It reminds me of the new Pet Semetary in that regard

Positives:
Decent cast
Great music (done by John Carpenter no less)

Negatives:
Bland
Lacks tension
Plays it too safe

RichardX
05-14-2022, 10:48 AM
If you have extremely low expectations, then you won't be too disappointed. There are a few unintentional Ed Wood-like moments like the scene with the cat, but this is basically typical soulless Hollywood drivel. The current political climate traps the filmmakers like rats since they can't explore any of the obvious relevant themes like governmental overreach into parental rights. Verboten. So it is just a series of increasingly implausible vignettes in which you could care less about any of the characters and hope for the end. Mercifully that doesn't take very long. Almost like they ran out of film and ideas at some point and just rolled the credits.

CyberGhostface
05-14-2022, 11:32 AM
The current political climate traps the filmmakers like rats since they can't explore any of the obvious relevant themes like governmental overreach into parental rights.

What are you referring to?

Randall Flagg
05-14-2022, 01:50 PM
Firestarter

St. Troy
05-15-2022, 09:13 AM
Disappointing to see that virtually all reviews are negative; I had high hopes for this.

Brian861
05-15-2022, 05:33 PM
Kinda of boring. I didn't realize there was a mini-series done back in 2002 I think it was titled Firestarter Rekindled. It's on Peacock also. I'm watching it just for the helluva it.

RichardX
05-16-2022, 06:22 AM
The current political climate traps the filmmakers like rats since they can't explore any of the obvious relevant themes like governmental overreach into parental rights.

What are you referring to?

There are numerous recent examples of debates about the role of government vs parents in making decisions regarding children. Do you really want to go down that path again? The point being that liberal filmmakers in Hollywood are not going to explore the theme that the government can overreach in some instances with misinformation. And no I'm not an anti-vaxxer. Sorry.

St. Troy
05-16-2022, 07:09 PM
...liberal filmmakers in Hollywood are not going to explore the theme that the government can overreach in some instances with misinformation.

Hey, maybe during the next Republican administration they'll regain their skepticism.

CyberGhostface
05-17-2022, 05:29 AM
There are numerous recent examples of debates about the role of government vs parents in making decisions regarding children.

Like?

CyberGhostface
05-18-2022, 08:00 AM
A week old but in case anyone wanted to see the two Charlies together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IZc7qGXJg

St. Troy
05-18-2022, 09:54 AM
Everyone looks cool with wind-blown hair against a backdrop of fire; it's basically a rule.

Brian861
05-18-2022, 07:45 PM
That was really cool. Regardless of how well or not well the reboot was.

RichardX
05-20-2022, 05:22 AM
I re-watched the original after having not seen it in decades. It has not held up well. Comes off as low budget even with its big-name talent. It certainly has its moments but mostly cringe worthy stuff. Most amazing was how different the original treats the "Shop." In the aftermath of Vietnam and Watergate, in this time period there was a very anti-government bias among liberals. This movie is brutal in its treatment of the government. The climatic scene is basically a war on government. A bit disturbing. It could have been written by Randy Weaver or a survivor of Waco.

herbertwest
06-25-2022, 03:09 PM
The bluray/dvd version will be released in a couple of days. In the USA, not in France where it will probably be in at least 6 months. If ever.
I am intrigued to find out what the alternate ending was

Merlin1958
06-27-2022, 06:33 AM
The bluray/dvd version will be released in a couple of days. In the USA, not in France where it will probably be in at least 6 months. If ever.

Is it available thru one of the streaming services yet?

Ricky
06-27-2022, 08:53 AM
I watched the Blu-ray last night (review up tomorrow), and the alternate ending is incredibly similar to the one in the finished film, with one small difference. It's not drastic at all.

Brian861
06-27-2022, 08:58 AM

It premiered on Peacock but not sure if it's still there.

Bev Vincent
06-27-2022, 10:37 AM

It was released on Peacock simultaneously with the theatrical release.

herbertwest
06-27-2022, 03:49 PM
I watched the Blu-ray last night (review up tomorrow), and the alternate ending is incredibly similar to the one in the finished film, with one small difference. It's not drastic at all.

Ah. Ok...

Ricky
06-30-2022, 04:15 PM
My full review: ‘Firestarter’ is a Stephen King Remake Without Much Spark [Blu-ray Review] (https://wickedhorror.com/horror-reviews/firestarter-is-a-stephen-king-remake-without-much-spark-blu-ray-review/)

Merlin1958
07-06-2022, 12:47 AM
Started out very promising and then quickly turned to crap!! LOL Kind of surprised actually, Blumhouse has showed some potential in the past. I expected better from them especially with a prized IP.

CyberGhostface
07-06-2022, 10:17 AM
Kind of sad this turned out to be a misfire. I would have figured with Stranger Things being a hit something like this would have been a higher priority to get right.

Merlin1958
07-06-2022, 10:25 AM
Kind of sad this turned out to be a misfire. I would have figured with Stranger Things being a hit something like this would have been a higher priority to get right.

CyberGhostface
01-23-2023, 08:19 AM
Ryan Kiera Armstrong was nominated for a Razzie for Firestarter.

Ignoring that it’s a dick move to go after a 12 year old like that, was it her performance that anyone took issue with? King said on a podcast that he didn’t like the film but he thought she did a good job.

Ari_Racing
01-24-2023, 01:36 PM
The Razzies are a disgrace in my opinion and shouldn't exist.

mae
01-25-2023, 08:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGROT2LVkQ8

Merlin1958
01-25-2023, 10:48 AM
Flawed as it may be, the original is still the best version, IMHOl

St. Troy
01-25-2023, 12:46 PM
The Razzies deserve a Grand Razzie?

Brian861
01-25-2023, 01:24 PM
Flawed as it may be, the original is still the best version, IMHOl

Agreed.

CyberGhostface
01-25-2023, 01:48 PM
They apologized for nominating her.

https://variety.com/2023/awards/news/razzies-apologize-age-limit-ryan-kiera-armstrong-1235502000/

Brian861
01-25-2023, 02:18 PM
They apologized for nominating her.

https://variety.com/2023/awards/news/razzies-apologize-age-limit-ryan-kiera-armstrong-1235502000/

She was really cute on the Drew Barrymore show.