PDA

View Full Version : Suntup Editions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

becca69
03-28-2018, 08:33 AM
what numbers are you seeing...Only trade I know of so far happened at $1100 for the S/L but I've told people it is going to $2000

I saw $4200 on FB... not sure if that's fact or not.

St. Troy
03-28-2018, 08:58 AM
King's version (during Lilja's interview) also mentioned Jerad contacted him with a new proposal (The Shining) right after Salem's Lot. King's complain were related that it'd never end.

...because King doesn't like when small presses repeatedly churn out editions of his books...

Here's what King thought of Salem's Lot at first:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51vxdSEKISL.jpg

That sentiment later morphed into:

This guy Jared Walters did Salem’s Lot in a limited. He basically fucking wore me down because he would come back every six months or so and say, “Please, please, please, please” and I’m very vulnerable to that if people, I mean, if he’d come to me and said that he wanted to do a Dollar Baby I would say, “Yes” immediately but this guy wants to do this big huge book with this, I don’t know, incredible binding done in some endangered species or something and finally the books come out and people like Frank Darabont and other collectors just loved that book and he wants to do The Shining next and so far I’ve just told him, “No”. Because it’d be another book like Salem’s Lot. It’ll weigh twenty pounds, and people will put it on their shelf and look at it and they won’t actually read it.

Source: http://www.liljas-library.com/showinterview.php?id=36

Was Jerad too aggressive about things? Jerad tells his side of the story here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?9267-Salem-s-Lot-Centipede-Owner-s-signed-and-deluxe-editions-for-sale!&p=446700&viewfull=1#post446700

It looks as if Jerad never had direct contact with King (although I'm not certain there was never any contact).

There are innocent ways King could come to the conclusion that Jerad was too pushy:

- Maybe there was a misunderstanding between Jerad and Greene.

- Maybe Greene mischaracterized his contacts with Jerad, and King was rubbed the wrong way by what he thought was going on.

- Maybe King misunderstood something Greene told him.

None of us were there for the conversations, but we do know what King said at different times, and given the large number of special editions King approved post-CP Salem's Lot, many of which were far more expensive, his comments about collector-oriented books to masturbate over ring hollow for me.

I post this info not to bash King (who would survive any fan bashing anyway), but in the interest of at least adding Jerad's full statement, given that it's his reputation and name that are actually at stake (not that he hasn't since built a reputation of creating fine and distinctive editions, but the possibility of being known as the guy "too needy for Stephen King" has to sting).

Ben Mears
03-28-2018, 10:12 AM
King's version (during Lilja's interview) also mentioned Jerad contacted him with a new proposal (The Shining) right after Salem's Lot. King's complain were related that it'd never end.

...because King doesn't like when small presses repeatedly churn out editions of his books...

Here's what King thought of Salem's Lot at first:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51vxdSEKISL.jpg

That sentiment later morphed into:

This guy Jared Walters did Salem’s Lot in a limited. He basically fucking wore me down because he would come back every six months or so and say, “Please, please, please, please” and I’m very vulnerable to that if people, I mean, if he’d come to me and said that he wanted to do a Dollar Baby I would say, “Yes” immediately but this guy wants to do this big huge book with this, I don’t know, incredible binding done in some endangered species or something and finally the books come out and people like Frank Darabont and other collectors just loved that book and he wants to do The Shining next and so far I’ve just told him, “No”. Because it’d be another book like Salem’s Lot. It’ll weigh twenty pounds, and people will put it on their shelf and look at it and they won’t actually read it.

Source: http://www.liljas-library.com/showinterview.php?id=36

Was Jerad too aggressive about things? Jerad tells his side of the story here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?9267-Salem-s-Lot-Centipede-Owner-s-signed-and-deluxe-editions-for-sale!&p=446700&viewfull=1#post446700

It looks as if Jerad never had direct contact with King (although I'm not certain there was never any contact).

There are innocent ways King could come to the conclusion that Jerad was too pushy:

- Maybe there was a misunderstanding between Jerad and Greene.

- Maybe Greene mischaracterized his contacts with Jerad, and King was rubbed the wrong way by what he thought was going on.

- Maybe King misunderstood something Greene told him.

None of us were there for the conversations, but we do know what King said at different times, and given the large number of special editions King approved post-CP Salem's Lot, many of which were far more expensive, his comments about collector-oriented books to masturbate over ring hollow for me.

I post this info not to bash King (who would survive any fan bashing anyway), but in the interest of at least adding Jerad's full statement, given that it's his reputation and name that are actually at stake (not that he hasn't since built a reputation of creating fine and distinctive editions, but the possibility of being known as the guy "too needy for Stephen King" has to sting).

I have always found SK's comments on this subject to be disrespectful and unprofessional. If, in the end, Jared was as aggressive as implied SK might have recognized some of himself in the way Jared was pushing and scraping to get his business underway similar to his own journey to get published. The fact that the CP 'Salem's Lot was such a well done edition should have earned Jared a shot at The Shining. History has shown that SK doesn't have a problem with allowing other publishers to do multiple limited editions of his books, let alone recycling titles that already have been published as limiteds, so why deny Jared? No knock against the Sub Press and Cemetery Dance limiteds of The Shining but who wouldn't have preferred the CP version that Jared proposed back in 2005? Had it happened I don't think Jared would have gone to the well a third time unless invited by SK himself and we would have bar setting limited editions of two of SK's signature works.

St. Troy
03-28-2018, 10:24 AM
If, in the end, Jared was as aggressive as implied SK might have recognized some of himself in the way Jared was pushing and scraping to get his business underway similar to his own journey to get published.

Interesting point.

The fact that the CP 'Salem's Lot was such a well done edition should have earned Jared a shot at The Shining.

It was a little too well done, apparently...

History has shown that SK doesn't have a problem with allowing other publishers to do multiple limited editions of his books, let alone recycling titles that already have been published as limiteds...

To say the least.

No knock against the Sub Press and Cemetery Dance limiteds of The Shining but who wouldn't have preferred the CP version that Jared proposed back in 2005?

I think there's no doubt we all would have appreciated the hell out of that, had it been made.

Ari_Racing
03-28-2018, 10:41 AM
I think King is not in favor of limited editions but at the same time he understands how his name on one allows a publisher to pay for a whole year of books by other authors.

becca69
03-28-2018, 11:04 AM
I think King is not in favor of limited editions but at the same time he understands how his name on one allows a publisher to pay for a whole year of books by other authors.

Yet he's published them himself. An enigma within an enigma :orely:

MikeDuke
03-28-2018, 11:30 AM
what numbers are you seeing...Only trade I know of so far happened at $1100 for the S/L but I've told people it is going to $2000

I saw $4200 on FB... not sure if that's fact or not.
If that's anywhere close to where it is, I guess I won't be getting one on the used market. That's one more for everyone else to have a chance at.

Br!an
03-28-2018, 12:04 PM
This may be of interest to some of you. This is footage of the photogravure printing process from the lettered dragon Portfolio.

https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/videos/1899431886793885/ (https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/videos/1899431886793885/)

That was very cool. Quite a process!

Ari_Racing
03-28-2018, 01:17 PM

I also think King changed his mind about limited edition as he grew older.

lotuz
03-28-2018, 01:35 PM

I think somebody mentioned it previously, but it also could be possible that he was just feeling cranky the day he gave the interview, for whatever reason, and it all snowballed from there. I don't think he ever mentioned Jerad again, right?

When one of us has a cranky day, it passes quickly or maybe leaves a brief impression on a message board, but when King has a cranky day, his words are read and scrutinized a literal decade after he said them.

I agree that he was rude in the interview, and I feel for Jerad. And as so many pointed out, he (King) has since done many, many projects that commanded a higher price and produced a lower quality product...

I guess the point is that King's words carry a lot of weight, whether he means them to or not.

Also, he has helped more than one small press get off the ground, and for that alone, I'm grateful! Jerad has been in business for almost 20 years now, and has made many of my favorite editions. And I can't imagine what Paul will do next, after the massive success of Misery. His options are so much wider thanks to King's involvement, which is surely to the great benefit of book collectors!

Randall Flagg
03-28-2018, 01:55 PM
Excellent points. I don't believe King (Philtrum) has published and sold a book for almost 25 years; although interestingly enough TEOTD S/L was sold by lottery...

Cranky at the time of the interview is a distinct possibility. King is a notoriously "moody" person. He's pulled at everywhere he goes, and might seem rude one day to an autograph seeker, and the next day sign 5 books for the same person.

becca69
03-28-2018, 02:09 PM
Excellent points. I don't believe King (Philtrum) has published and sold a book for almost 25 years; although interestingly enough TEOTD S/L was sold by lottery...

Cranky at the time of the interview is a distinct possibility. King is a notoriously "moody" person. He's pulled at everywhere he goes, and might seem rude one day to an autograph seeker, and the next day sign 5 books for the same person.

There's that lottery word again Mr.:crow burp:

St. Troy
03-28-2018, 04:39 PM
Apparently it wasn’t just one interview:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?9267-Salem-s-Lot-Centipede-Owner-s-signed-and-deluxe-editions-for-sale!&p=443763&viewfull=1#post443763

I haven’t hunted down the interview in question, but would be interested in hearing it.

herbertwest
03-29-2018, 12:26 AM

I personnally think that it's not necessarily that he changed his mind about the limited edition, but as you said, that he realised that he can help small publishing houses by getting them enough money to boost them for an extra year or even more

jeffingoff
03-29-2018, 06:21 AM

I personnally think that it's not necessarily that he changed his mind about the limited edition, but as you said, that he realised that he can help small publishing houses by getting them enough money to boost them for an extra year or even more

I think King's relationship with small press publishing is a complicated one. After all, he had been playing in Grant's house with the Dark Tower series since early in his career. Those books all came out as Grant editions first, even after they were released as Plume trade paperbacks. So I don't get his disdain with CP.

RichardX
03-29-2018, 06:38 AM
It's interesting that King has seemingly had a relaxed attitude to movie and TV adaptations of his works. Many of which have been not very good. But he seems to be a bit touchy when it comes to book collecting and publishing. The list of rules for his recent book signings was absurd. Some of which appeared to be directed at deterring reselling of signed copies. Why he cares is a bit mystifying. And of course it doesn't work since copies appear instantly on ebay.

jeffingoff
03-29-2018, 06:50 AM
It's interesting that King has seemingly had a relaxed attitude to movie and TV adaptations of his works. Many of which have been not very good. But he seems to be a bit touchy when it comes to book collecting and publishing. The list of rules for his recent book signings was absurd. Some of which appeared to be directed at deterring reselling of signed copies. Why he cares is a bit mystifying. And of course it doesn't work since copies appear instantly on ebay.

That's interesting and maybe it shines some light on King's mindset. Because movies are interpretations of his work, then maybe he feels more "hands-off," with lowered expectations and standards. But his books are his babies and no one messes with his babies.

amd013
03-29-2018, 09:10 AM
I suspect his comment about people buying 20lb books and putting them on a shelf and never reading them is a clue as to his mindset regarding limited edition books. I don't think that is an issue with movies/tv adaptations of his books. To the best of my knowledge people don't plop down 100's or 1000's of dollars on nice signed limited edition blu-rays of movies/tv shows based on his books.

I think its just the mindset of "books are for reading, not putting on you bookshelf and never touching"!

Just speculation/"reading between the lines" on my part.

Tommy
03-29-2018, 09:15 AM
He has misgivings about limited editions but agrees to them to oblige his fans and to help out small presses is how I've always looked at it.

Hunchback Jack
03-29-2018, 09:24 AM
With respect to Grant, those editions included an inexpensive trade edition, and the signed edition was really just a regular book. Very nicely made, don't get me wrong, but also practical and affordable at the time. I think Kings frustration with the CP edition was that it was unweildly and impractical to read, and very expensive.

He's clearly changed his mind about that - or at least decided that helping a small press out is more important than worrying about whether collectors will read the final product.

Ben Mears
03-29-2018, 12:36 PM
...I think Kings frustration with the CP edition was that it was unweildly and impractical to read, and very expensive.

I respectfully disagree. Like most limited editions the CP 'Salem's Lot was available in 3 versions: signed deluxe ($900; print run 25 with 15 for sale), signed limited ($470; print run 380 with 300 for sale) and gift ($110; print run 600 with 600 for sale) which would be $1200, $620 and $147 respectively in 2018 dollars. Compare that to recent Suntup Press, Cemetery Dance, Sub Press or PS Publishing prices, which all had higher print runs, for perspective. As for being unwieldy to read, the design was based on, and inspired by, the SK produced limited edition of The Eyes Of The Dragon.
This is a very interesting discussion but maybe we should move it out of this thread.

Hunchback Jack
03-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Good points! I didn't remember the Gift edition being that inexpensive. I stand corrected.

HBJ

zelig
03-29-2018, 04:13 PM
I don't know how much of the behind-the-scenes fun you'd like to see, but if you feel you'd rather just wait for the finished products, let me know and I'll keep the posting to a minimum. But here's something I wanted to share. This is the covering material I received today for the Misery numbered edition, which will cover the book, and the walls of the box. It's a beautiful red Japanese cloth that looks and feels like a million bucks.

https://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/IMG_0836.jpg

https://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/IMG_1873.jpg

St. Troy
03-29-2018, 04:15 PM
I don't know how much of the behind-the-scenes fun you'd like to see, but if you feel you'd rather just wait for the finished products, let me know and I'll keep the posting to a minimum.

Please, keep the posting to a maximum.

webstar1000
03-29-2018, 04:16 PM
I don't know how much of the behind-the-scenes fun you'd like to see, but if you feel you'd rather just wait for the finished products, let me know and I'll keep the posting to a minimum.

Please, keep the posting to a maximum.

100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randall Flagg
03-29-2018, 04:42 PM
150% of max is requested,

HONKYTONKSMASH
03-29-2018, 04:46 PM
All of it, Paul...100000000019%

wolfehr
03-29-2018, 04:56 PM
What everyone else said :)

Father Cody
03-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Another vote here for keeping to a maximum :drool:

Beverly Marsh
03-30-2018, 01:39 PM
That is beautiful!
Maximum to infinity and beyond please :drool:

becca69
03-30-2018, 01:56 PM
There is a video on FB about the lettered dummy book. https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/videos/1909456515791422/

Zidan
03-30-2018, 02:13 PM
There is a video on FB about the lettered dummy book. https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/videos/1909456515791422/

Really cool to see the process in this much detail. Learning a lot.

Side note: The excitement on Paul's face truly emphasizes how much of a labor of love this is for him. Congrats to whoever will own that Lettered edition.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-30-2018, 03:14 PM
I'd only be comfortable with 99%. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

zelig
03-30-2018, 03:31 PM
I'd only be comfortable with 99%. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

That’s why I like you Steve. Always put a smile on my face.

Ben Mears
03-30-2018, 04:50 PM
Side note: The excitement on Paul's face truly emphasizes how much of a labor of love this is for him.

+1. Clearly Paul is very passionate about what he is doing. He looks as happy and excited about receiving the prototype as his customers will be in August when they receive their Misery orders.

TravelinJack
03-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Love it.

ICry4Oy
03-31-2018, 08:37 AM
I wanna see all the fun behind the scenes stuff Paul. That's some beautiful stuff!

swintek
03-31-2018, 04:48 PM
Side note: The excitement on Paul's face truly emphasizes how much of a labor of love this is for him.

+1. Clearly Paul is very passionate about what he is doing. He looks as happy and excited about receiving the prototype as his customers will be in August when they receive their Misery orders.

+2! Came here to say exactly this. The genuine joy comes through loud and clear. Love seeing that.

zelig
04-01-2018, 06:15 AM
Hi all. I just woke up and saw that post about The Dark Half. I want to make it clear that I had nothing to do with this and that I did not post that thread. I knew nothing about it, and had no prior knowledge of it. The associated web page also had nothing to do with Suntup. I think I’ve been punked as part of an April Fools joke.

Over and out.

Paul Suntup

becca69
04-01-2018, 08:23 AM
What an edition though... brain tumor and feathers :coo3l:

peripheral
04-01-2018, 08:58 PM
What an edition though... brain tumor and feathers :coo3l:

Sure, the joke may have ruffled some feathers, so to speak, but that design and concept (twin books) was a ripper!

zelig
04-02-2018, 08:47 AM
I have heard it said that parody is the sincerest form of flattery. Although the April Fool's prank caught me off guard, I will say that I was cracking up at some of it. For example, the stuffed sparrow 'mounted on an oak base turned from a 200 year old oak tree', and something I missed at first was the 'craftely flawed limited editions' spoof of my logo with my last name misspelled.

At first, I wasn't sure if I should be flattered or ticked off, and even though it pushed some boundaries, the perpetrators deserve some kudos for the effort they put into it.

And yes, those were some good looking books. Hmmm.

Father Cody
04-02-2018, 08:53 AM
And yes, those were some good looking books. Hmmm.

They sure were. It’d be a shame to let those design drafts go to waste...just sayin. :lol:

zelig
04-02-2018, 03:38 PM
For those interested in the gory details of the road to Misery, I will be posting these stories every couple weeks or so. First installment started today with this FB post (https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/posts/1913804758689931). These won't be sent out to the mailing list, and also probably not here unless someone posts links, so anyone who wants to follow along would need to subscribe to posts here (https://suntup.press/subscribe-to-our-blog-updates/).

Beverly Marsh
04-03-2018, 07:38 AM
All signed up! Love the stories.

MikeDuke
04-03-2018, 07:49 AM
I like that Part one was named after a painting one of my favorite artists did. "The persistence of memory" by Dali. Your story of how you got to where you are is, I am sure, impressive. I noticed you said you were sick. So was I. Near death as a matter of fact. But I came through with persistence as well. Keep up the great work Paul. Maybe one day...

TravelinJack
04-03-2018, 07:51 AM
Great background on this. Fun and interesting to read. Thanks for sharing, Paul.

zelig
04-03-2018, 08:26 AM
I like that Part one was named after a painting one of my favorite artists did. "The persistence of memory" by Dali. Your story of how you got to where you are is, I am sure, impressive. I noticed you said you were sick. So was I. Near death as a matter of fact. But I came through with persistence as well. Keep up the great work Paul. Maybe one day...

Sorry to hear Mike, good that you came back from it, and thanks for the comment.

Great background on this. Fun and interesting to read. Thanks for sharing, Paul.

Thanks for reading. I wanted to share some of the story, but when I started writing it, I found myself having to go back, and share parts of my life experiences, as it was all connected. I've never been one to share these things in a public forum, but I've had to move out of my comfort zone a little here. I also got used to remaining in the shadows, but with Misery, well, that became impossible! Anyway, more soon.

TravelinJack
04-03-2018, 08:50 AM
It’s never easy to unveil anything behind the curtain; boy do I know it. But, it does create some sort of inner-peace I bet. Good on you, nothing you are doing right now is easy, we all see that and appreciate the risks you’ve taken for yourself and for collectors like all of us here. It’s fun to watch your excitment, endearing to read your journey. With all this will come great reward. And of course, you don’t need me to say it, but you have many a friend near and far.

Looking forward to the chapters ahead my friend.

Br!an
04-03-2018, 12:07 PM
I'm impressed! Great read!

:orely: Who knew you had all this extra time to right a blog. :wtf:

Hunchback Jack
04-03-2018, 12:39 PM
A very entertaining read, Paul, and I'm looking forward to future installments.

(And very well written, by the way. You have a storyteller in you, that's for sure)

HBJ

becca69
04-10-2018, 04:12 AM
There will be a surprise guest interviewed on FB live at 12:10pm PT Tuesday 4/10. He is considered a legend in the Stephen King collecting world. Don’t miss it!

T-Dogz_AK47
04-10-2018, 05:24 AM
There will be a surprise guest interviewed on FB live at 12:10pm PT Tuesday 4/10. He is considered a legend in the Stephen King collecting world. Don’t miss it!

Michael Whelan?

Randall Flagg
04-10-2018, 05:27 AM
Maybe Bob Jackson?

Father Cody
04-10-2018, 05:30 AM
On Suntup’s Facebook page, yeah?

stroppygoblin
04-10-2018, 06:35 AM
Maybe Bob Jackson?
He's already interviewed Bob. (https://firewireblog.com/2017/10/16/paul-suntup-takes-us-on-a-tour-of-bob-jacksons-impressive-stephen-king-collection/)

TravelinJack
04-10-2018, 06:51 AM
Alec?

herbertwest
04-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Richard Chizmar?

ICry4Oy
04-10-2018, 09:44 AM
David?

zelig
04-10-2018, 09:45 AM
So far no one has guessed it.

biomieg
04-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Peter Schneider?

HONKYTONKSMASH
04-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Dean Koontz

T-Dogz_AK47
04-10-2018, 10:03 AM
I think we should turn this into a sweepstake. :lol:

Room 217 Caretaker
04-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Is he an active collector now or did he sell?

Mulleins

T-Dogz_AK47
04-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Frank Darabont is a bonafide legend within the King community. An interview with him would be spectacular. :clap:

T-Dogz_AK47
04-10-2018, 10:09 AM
As far as "collecting" legends go, nobody can outstrip David at Betts. :clap:

Randall Flagg
04-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Michael Whelan

Duh to me for not reading Ak's post.

Stephen King

Randall Flagg
04-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Direct link?

T-Dogz_AK47
04-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Michael Whelan

That was my first guess right at the start, immediately after this event was announced.

Aronstg
04-10-2018, 10:18 AM
RF?

T-Dogz_AK47
04-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Paul has already interviewed a few other publishers, including Jared at Centipede Press. I think an interview with Brian James Freeman at CD would be rather cool - and he is indeed a bonafide legend too! :clap:

becca69
04-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Direct link?

It hasn't started yet as it will be live. But here is the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/

Merlin1958
04-10-2018, 11:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlwnbcxBuzI

Randall Flagg
04-10-2018, 11:47 AM
That was one great interview!

Father Cody
04-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Dean Koontz

Are you bummed? :lol:

Br!an
04-10-2018, 11:59 AM
I only caught part of it.

Will you be posting on your website, Paul?

Father Cody
04-10-2018, 12:01 PM

You can watch it again right now on the same page: https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/videos/1924766350927105/

biomieg
04-10-2018, 12:18 PM
How cool!

Br!an
04-10-2018, 12:46 PM

You can watch it again right now on the same page: https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/videos/1924766350927105/

Thanks, Adam.

zelig
04-10-2018, 01:21 PM
I'm pleased you enjoyed it. I think Mulleins was onto something. Thanks for watching!

needfulthings
04-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Another GREAT interview......But now I have to decide if I have to move this into the KING side of the collection.
https://imageshack.com/a/img924/638/El4UyK.jpghttps://imageshack.com/a/img924/3125/JMQKrA.jpg
being that it's King's favorite Bloch book.:lol:
A SUNTUP LIMITED WITH A KING INTRO?:evil:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Correction from the interview: Chris bought the UK Night Shift ARC from me and not Betts.
I still have the unpublished handwritten manuscript for Dave Marsh's book that was a prized part of Chris's collection.

Ari_Racing
04-11-2018, 02:23 PM
Great interview!

And once again, Alan, you gotta post more often about your knowledge and collection! :)

Br!an
04-12-2018, 10:29 AM
I'd like to reply to Bill's question about 1st/1sts.

The rebound editions do use 1st printings.

So those books are no longer available on the market as 1st/1sts.

It might be some consolation to know that most of the rebound books are in very good condition, not fine condition.

Johnny007
04-13-2018, 03:56 PM
Correction from the interview: Chris bought the UK Night Shift ARC from me and not Betts.
I still have the unpublished handwritten manuscript for Dave Marsh's book that was a prized part of Chris's collection.

A little more of the story...
Alan is right. Chris misspoke when he said he bought the UK Night Shift ARC from Betts. Alan made it available for sale on ebay. Chris and I were the 2 serious bidders on the item. When the auction ended, he and I tied with the highest bid. But because his bid came before my bid, Chris won the auction. I've tried to buy it a couple of times since that auction but Chris wants to hold on to it for a while longer. It's in a great place!

Very nice interview, Paul.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-13-2018, 11:29 PM

A little more of the story...
Alan is right. Chris misspoke when he said he bought the UK Night Shift ARC from Betts. Alan made it available for sale on ebay. Chris and I were the 2 serious bidders on the item. When the auction ended, he and I tied with the highest bid. But because his bid came before my bid, Chris won the auction. I've tried to buy it a couple of times since that auction but Chris wants to hold on to it for a while longer. It's in a great place!

Very nice interview, Paul.

John

The money went to a good cause. Hic!

Jimimck
04-15-2018, 05:43 PM
I see some guy on FB is asking $2500 for the rights to his ordered Misery. It's that what people are thinking is about right?

Father Cody
04-15-2018, 05:47 PM
I see some guy on FB is asking $2500 for the rights to his ordered Misery. It's that what people are thinking is about right?

Pretty sure one sold for $2000 a few weeks ago, if that helps.

TravelinJack
04-15-2018, 06:52 PM
For a S/L.

Tommy
04-15-2018, 07:39 PM
An extremely limited edition of what will be an extremely beautiful book....prices should be higher :evil:

HONKYTONKSMASH
04-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Pretty much; know of another that went for more

shaq
04-16-2018, 01:23 PM
This will be my new retirement funds purchase from the secondary market (the stand was until it became my 50th birthday present to myself) in 10 years time.

Just wish I’d got it at cost (I may have said that once or twice before)

RichardX
04-16-2018, 04:25 PM
The Colorado Kid and Joyland covers look nice but not a fan of facsimile signatures as it doesn't add much and likely is a source of confusion. I even have a difficult time remembering which are signed and which are facsimiles. Never really saw the point but I suppose some like them for consistency sake.

Patrick
04-16-2018, 04:42 PM
The Colorado Kid and Joyland covers look nice but not a fan of facsimile signatures as it doesn't add much and likely is a source of confusion. I even have a difficult time remembering which are signed and which are facsimiles. Never really saw the point but I suppose some like them for consistency sake.
I love this style of artwork, so I’m stoked.

webstar1000
04-17-2018, 04:30 AM

I know of 3 sales: $2000, $2250 and $2750

Jimimck
04-17-2018, 04:06 PM
This will be my new retirement funds purchase from the secondary market (the stand was until it became my 50th birthday present to myself) in 10 years time.

Just wish I’d got it at cost (I may have said that once or twice before)

I hear that.

WeDealInLead
04-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Paul, if you publish limited editions by other authors, does one have to have the Misery S/L or would you open the ordering to everyone? Thanks.

stroppygoblin
04-17-2018, 11:36 PM
Paul, if you publish limited editions by other authors, does one have to have the Misery S/L or would you open the ordering to everyone? Thanks.

I have discussed this previously with Paul, I’m keen to know his final decision on this.

zelig
04-18-2018, 04:28 AM

I plead the 5th.

webstar1000
04-18-2018, 04:56 AM

Great question. If we assume Paul keeps his limitations low... then everyone with a Misery S/L is going to say one thing and the rest of the world that don't...well we know what they will say. However, if he does more than the 185 that was Misery.. then the choice is easy no? I think this is a great question and is a VERY tough one for Paul. From a business standpoint I am sure he wants to reach more fans as possible though...

WeDealInLead
04-18-2018, 06:18 AM
The question doesn't need to be tough. Look at it from a King collector's perspective and just imagine how much different everyone's collections (on here at least) would be different if the first published book determined the ENTIRETY of a publisher's customer base. How many 'Salem's Lot (Centipede) owners own previous books Jared did? Or on a bigger scale, think about all the King books Cemetery Dance published and think how many collections would be different if people had to have bought CD #1? Or not being able to get The Green Mile from Subterranean? Or not being able to get a Ray Bradbury or a Neil Gaiman book because you missed some crummy Kelley Armstrong book (or a Connie Willis novella - this one's for you ur2ndbiggest fan).

Appeasing the customers who got in on the action with The Eyes of the Dragon portfolio would be neat - in theory. Things would get messy if those owners started passing on future books. Would they still hold the rights to that number in 2030 even if they bought nothing since 2018?

Just food for thought without any prior knowledge as to what the next book might be.

webstar1000
04-18-2018, 07:07 AM
The question doesn't need to be tough. Look at it from a King collector's perspective and just imagine how much different everyone's collections (on here at least) would be different if the first published book determined the ENTIRETY of a publisher's customer base. How many 'Salem's Lot (Centipede) owners own previous books Jared did? Or on a bigger scale, think about all the King books Cemetery Dance published and think how many collections would be different if people had to have bought CD #1? Or not being able to get The Green Mile from Subterranean? Or not being able to get a Ray Bradbury or a Neil Gaiman book because you missed some crummy Kelley Armstrong book (or a Connie Willis novella - this one's for you ur2ndbiggest fan).

Appeasing the customers who got in on the action with The Eyes of the Dragon portfolio would be neat - in theory. Things would get messy if those owners started passing on future books. Would they still hold the rights to that number in 2030 even if they bought nothing since 2018?

Just food for thought without any prior knowledge as to what the next book might be.

Allow me to play devils advocate... the rights follow the last book.. so why would someone that bought the first book matter in 2030? I agree though with ya... things would be much different in the instances you mentioned...

Father Cody
04-18-2018, 07:19 AM
The question doesn't need to be tough. Look at it from a King collector's perspective and just imagine how much different everyone's collections (on here at least) would be different if the first published book determined the ENTIRITY of a publisher's customer base. How many 'Salem's Lot (Centipede) owners own previous books Jared did? Or on a bigger scale, think about all the King books Cemetery Dance published and think how many collections would be different if people had to have bought CD #1? Or not being able to get The Green Mile from Subterranean? Or not being able to get a Ray Bradbury or a Neil Gaiman book because you missed some crummy Kelley Armstrong book (or a Connie Willis novella - this one's for you ur2ndbiggest fan).

As a pretty motivated and aggressive collector, I’d be lying if I said it’s not a bit disheartening to know I’m out of DRE game unless someone else opts out (and even then it’s a crap shoot). In my short time as a member here and collecting altogether, I’ve somewhat gotten to know Paul and I like the guy. I’m genuinely interested in his journey as he builds his company. It’s fun to watch someone you like succeed in accomplishing a dream. The books are awesome, too, but I really doubt I’d have nearly as much of an interest in them knowing I won’t ever own one, if we were talking about any company other than Suntup. My point is this. Will other collectors who don’t know that much about the Suntup story give a rat’s ass about these books when they realize they simply can’t own one? And how does that affect their collectibility in the long run?

Brian861
04-18-2018, 07:43 AM
I'll always regret having to pass up on the Dragon Rebound. For a brief moment, I was a member of the exclusive club.

As far as the Misery Limited, the 185 original folks will always be just that. Outside of the numbers changing hands via aftermarket sales. Obliviously there is a huge demand for Paul's product so I can't see him staying at 185. Of course as far as the limiteds, it's whatever number the author is willing to sign. Without looking back, weren't there 750 of the GEs for Misery published?

amd013
04-18-2018, 08:06 AM

Allow me to play devils advocate... the rights follow the last book.. so why would someone that bought the first book matter in 2030? I agree though with ya... things would be much different in the instances you mentioned...

Personally I think the rights should follow the last book by the same author. So if Paul's next book is by Dean R Koontz, it should be wide open to who can buy it. If his third book is Different Seasons, then those who bought Misery should be able to match their numbers regardless of whether they bought the Dean R Koontz book.

I've been able to match my numbers with CD even though I have only bought SK Limited editions from them.

Just my 0.02

Mike

PennyUnwise
04-18-2018, 08:22 AM

Personally I think the rights should follow the last book by the same author. So if Paul's next book is by Dean R Koontz, it should be wide open to who can buy it. If his third book is Different Seasons, then those who bought Misery should be able to match their numbers regardless of whether they bought the Dean R Koontz book.

I've been able to match my numbers with CD even though I have only bought SK Limited editions from them.

Just my 0.02

Mike

I agree with your notion that rights follow the authors. This way those interested in the next author can get in on the action, while those only interested in King don't have to worry about shelling out more money just to keep out for the likelihood of another King book. It is all up to Paul though, so I respect his decision.

MikeDuke
04-18-2018, 08:33 AM
One thing is confusing to me. Unless I am wrong, the only people who were going to get a S\L misery for sure are those who bought the EOTD portfolio. But that was done in Paul's Dragon Rebound side of the company. The Misery was done on the Suntup side of things. To me, that just seems (seemed) a little confusing. I know that caused the EOTD portolios to sell out though.

I like Paul. We have talked a few times and they have always been good talks. And I understand about people wanting a certain number to match what they already have. I just don't know about needing something from the Dragon Rebound side to get something from the Suntup side. Once the remaining Misery books were free to the rest of the public, it was probably almost impossible to get one. That's the only thing that confused me. Paul has two great business going on and that's great. To me though, someone who was not aware of his work, it did not work out. I guess I could have bought a portfolio and then I would have the rights to the Misery book but I did not. So unless something changes, I will probably be out for good. I look at is an "oh well" moment. TBH, I mainly collect only King. So if the next Suntup book was not a King book, or something really cool, who knows if I would get it. I am not upset or mad. I still have a few other S\L that I need to get. This went on way too long so I will stop here.

RichardX
04-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Demand is always going to be much greater than supply with these books unless the prices are raised to some exorbitant level. Even then they probably still sell out. So some folks are always going to be left out. And there is a secondary market. So I wouldn't worry so much about 2030. If we are still alive then, that will be reward enough.

frik
04-18-2018, 08:40 AM
One thing is confusing to me. Unless I am wrong, the only people who were going to get a S\L misery for sure are those who bought the EOTD portfolio. But that was done in Paul's Dragon Rebound side of the company. The Misery was done on the Suntup side of things. To me, that just seems (seemed) a little confusing. I know that caused the EOTD portolios to sell out though.

I like Paul. We have talked a few times and they have always been good talks. And I understand about people wanting a certain number to match what they already have. I just don't know about needing something from the Dragon Rebound side to get something from the Suntup side. Once the remaining Misery books were free to the rest of the public, it was probably almost impossible to get one. That's the only thing that confused me. Paul has two great business going on and that's great. To me though, someone who was not aware of his work, it did not work out. I guess I could have bought a portfolio and then I would have the rights to the Misery book but I did not. So unless something changes, I will probably be out for good. I look at is an "oh well" moment. TBH, I mainly collect only King. So if the next Suntup book was not a King book, or something really cool, who knows if I would get it. I am not upset or mad. I still have a few other S\L that I need to get. This went on way too long so I will stop here.

Well-said, Mike!

sk

jsmcmullen92
04-18-2018, 08:48 AM

Half right. ETOD Portfolio was required to get Misery BUT that was the first publication out of Suntup. You are also correct though that it was based on the owners of EoTD rebound from DRB. Some people jumped on it, others passed due to lack of an interest in portfolios so the Lettered wand numbered were open to buy to the public.

amd013
04-18-2018, 08:50 AM

No the EOTD portfolio was the first Suntup Publishing product. It was not a Dragon Rebound product. However having said that, was the lettered edition of the portfolio based on the Dragon Rebound ownership? I am just trying to remember why I didn't buy a lettered EOTD portfolio. I cant remember if I wasn't eligible, was too late, or I was just too cheap.

EDIT: Looks like I was beaten to it, by Josh, who also answered my questions.

WeDealInLead
04-18-2018, 08:52 AM
Brian can correct me, but isn't CD matching numbers just them being super nice to their customers (unless it's the Doubleday set)? I don't think anyone's guaranteed a book, let alone a number. You stand in the proverbial line with the rest of us and hope you're fast enough.

Different publishers have different approaches to rights and such; Centipede and Subterranean will match numbers for books in a series (with ordering being limited to previous owners) but stand alones by those writers aren't guaranteed. Charnel house has books limited to 100 and they're open to everyone. I know they had a subscription but I can't remember the specifics.

I'm also in the camp of those who don't understand why the art portfolio of book A determined the rights to an actual limited of Book B. What's done is done but yeah, it's a bit disheartening to know if the limitation doesn't go up, I'm SOL for future books because I didn't buy a portfolio.

amd013
04-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Brian can correct me, but isn't CD matching numbers just them being super nice to their customers (unless it's the Doubleday set)? I don't think anyone's guaranteed a book, let alone a number. You stand in the proverbial line with the rest of us and hope you're fast enough.

Different publishers have different approaches to rights and such; Centipede and Subterranean will match numbers for books in a series (with ordering being limited to previous owners) but stand alones by those writers aren't guaranteed. Charnel house has books limited to 100 and they're open to everyone. I know they had a subscription but I can't remember the specifics.

I'm also in the camp of those who don't understand why the art portfolio of book A determined the rights to an actual limited of Book B. What's done is done but yeah, it's a bit disheartening to know if the limitation doesn't go up, I'm SOL for future books because I didn't buy a portfolio.

I think you are right that you are not guaranteed a book, but CD generally gives advance notice to previous customers, but I don't think even that is guaranteed. I don't know if that is only done with
Doubleday set or not, since Salem's Lot was one of the first Limited editions I bought from the publisher (I did buy the SOD S/L, but at that time I was not committed to collecting and may have blown off any email from CD, so not sure if that gave me any rights or not).

But from that point of view I am sure Paul would not guarantee a book to anyone either, you might get an earlier opportunity to buy, but if you don't pull the trigger in time, I am sure you will be SOL.

becca69
04-18-2018, 09:25 AM
It's not an easy thing to decide how future rights to books should go, and there will be many discussions, I'm sure, but as far as Misery being pre-sold to EOTD customers (which is a Suntup product) - it was about being loyal to those who had supported Paul from the beginning. And he gave everyone who didn't have one a chance to get in on it before Misery went on sale. It's hard for any collector to accept not being able to have something they want, but limited editions are just that - limited… and in this case, extremely limited. It's just not possible to please everyone.

I definitely overpaid to get into the Dark Tower S/L club, back in the day, so I could purchase future books at cost (and not even a number under 500).

Pasiuk57
04-18-2018, 09:40 AM
I, for one, like the way Paul sold the Misery three editions.
I would like my potential future books to "match" my current items-who wouldn't. but if the next book is not King, I'm not sure I would buy it.
It all depends on the book though.
How about a Joe Hill?
King might be so excited with Misery he ok's another for Paul to design.
I hope so!
Anyway, great discussions...

TravelinJack
04-18-2018, 09:52 AM
It's not an easy thing to decide how future rights to books should go, and there will be many discussions, I'm sure, but as far as Misery being pre-sold to EOTD customers (which is a Suntup product) - it was about being loyal to those who had supported Paul from the beginning. And he gave everyone who didn't have one a chance to get in on it before Misery went on sale. It's hard for any collector to accept not being able to have something they want, but limited editions are just that - limited… and in this case, extremely limited. It's just not possible to please everyone.

I definitely overpaid to get into the Dark Tower S/L club, back in the day, so I could purchase future books at cost (and not even a number under 500).

Well said Becca.

St. Troy
04-18-2018, 10:07 AM
My concerns are much smaller scale: for the right book (not all definitely; I am small-time), I would eventually like access to a Suntup gift edition.

I haven't had any trouble yet getting 1 of 3,000 from CD (although that may be tested very soon...right?), but I don't know just how chaotic it will get (how much I should panic about notice and acting fast, as well as how many elbows to the head, abdomen and/or groin I may suffer) if I try to get a Suntup GE (there were 1,250 for Misery; I don't know if this will be the limitation for future gift editions).

St. Troy
04-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Does anyone recall how long it took Suntup to sell out of the Misery GEs?

webstar1000
04-18-2018, 10:17 AM

less than a week I think

becca69
04-18-2018, 10:20 AM

less than a week I think

Closer to 4 weeks.

webstar1000
04-18-2018, 10:31 AM

less than a week I think

Closer to 4 weeks.

WOW! IT was a month! Seemed so fast!

zelig
04-18-2018, 11:05 AM
I appreciate all the discussion on this. How we handle it will be posted when the next book is released.

Brian James Freeman
04-18-2018, 11:15 AM
I appreciate all the discussion on this. How we handle it will be posted when the next book is released.

You're going with my idea to select names and book numbers/letters from two oversized novelty hats, right?

lotuz
04-18-2018, 11:33 AM

You're going with my idea to select names and book numbers/letters from two oversized novelty hats, right?

Maybe you guys should try it first and report back how it goes :evil:

St. Troy
04-18-2018, 11:35 AM

Yeah, like Folio Society does (and their shipping department does something similar).

zelig
04-18-2018, 12:04 PM

I think it was three hats, and that was supposed to be a secret. Oh well, now everyone knows...

Brian James Freeman
04-18-2018, 12:09 PM

I think it was three hats, and that was supposed to be a secret. Oh well, now everyone knows...

Well, they still don't know the part about you streaming the process live on Facebook and taking the orders over the phone as you select names, right!?

zelig
04-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Well, they still don't know the part about you streaming the process live on Facebook and taking the orders over the phone as you select names, right!?

Actually, I was thinking about doing it old school and taking orders through the mail. No email or internet allowed. Orders must be typed on a typewriter. Numbers and Letters are assigned in the order of postmarks.

becca69
04-18-2018, 12:17 PM
How about an old-fashioned telegram! Western Union, here we come!

Father Cody
04-18-2018, 12:20 PM
What’s your mailing address, Paul? :biggrin:

zelig
04-18-2018, 12:22 PM
How about an old-fashioned telegram! Western Union, here we come!

I like it.

What’s your mailing address, Paul? :biggrin:

I think when I go to the mailbox next week, I'm gonna see some typed orders in there... :lol:

Brian James Freeman
04-18-2018, 12:25 PM
Actually, I was thinking about doing it old school and taking orders through the mail. No email or internet allowed. Orders must be typed on a typewriter. Numbers and Letters are assigned in the order of postmarks.

If you could announce the next book via an old fashioned folded paper newsletter, that would be terrific! I kind of miss those days...

Brian

zelig
04-18-2018, 12:27 PM

If you could announce the next book via an old fashioned folded paper newsletter, that would be terrific! I kind of miss those days...

Brian

I think I need to include this in the budget. Love it.

MikeDuke
04-18-2018, 12:33 PM
I guess I just did not realize they were the same when I discovered Dragon Rebound. I see the little icon on top of that page that takes you Suntup but I guess I never put the two together. I am not complain though. It is what it is and both companies produce great books. I will still be interested in what book is next.

MikeDuke
04-18-2018, 12:53 PM

No the EOTD portfolio was the first Suntup Publishing product. It was not a Dragon Rebound product. However having said that, was the lettered edition of the portfolio based on the Dragon Rebound ownership? I am just trying to remember why I didn't buy a lettered EOTD portfolio. I cant remember if I wasn't eligible, was too late, or I was just too cheap.

EDIT: Looks like I was beaten to it, by Josh, who also answered my questions.

OK I understand now. I saw it on the Dragon Rebound site so I assumed it was from there. But I also see it in Suntup. I would have missed out anyway. No big deal. I did not make the connection between Suntup and Dragon Rebound. Oh well. Again, I am not complaining. This is just how I processed everything. I never got the concept of having the prior book or portfolio in this case in order to buy the next book. It's cool though. We are bound to miss somethings once in awhile especially me as I am new to this side of collecting.

Beverly Marsh
04-18-2018, 01:09 PM
I'd be down with a carrier pigeon. As long as it doesn't fly directly over my freshly washed car.

This is a fascinating discussion.
As being one of the very few on here who doesn't have a disposable income I can only collect King(and family)so of course I liked the idea of being able to opt out of another authors book but having Misery, still being able to maintain rights to future King items. Ultimately the decision lies with Paul and whatever will be will be. I'm just extremely happy to have been able to get a Misery and if that's all I can ever get again I imagine it will end up being one of my very favorites!

Br!an
04-18-2018, 05:34 PM

Brian

I love it too.

A touch of class.

sentinel
04-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Brian

I'm getting old and can't remember but I think it was CUJO that you had to send in a postcard and they held a lottery from the entries.

Hunchback Jack
04-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Somehow, all the names in the hats will turn out to be Ari's.

amd013
04-18-2018, 07:50 PM

Will the hats also be included in the lottery? If so will they be signed?

Ricky
04-19-2018, 04:29 AM

Brian

I'm getting old and can't remember but I think it was CUJO that you had to send in a postcard and they held a lottery from the entries.

I remember doing that for LSOE. I think that was back in 2008/2009.

zelig
04-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Here's a first look at the Misery ARC.

https://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/miseryarc1.jpg

And the black tape version

https://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/miseryarc3.jpg

(Don't worry proof collectors, I wouldn't do that to you...)

Father Cody
04-19-2018, 02:30 PM
That’s a cool looking proof. The proofs are all spoken for at this point, yeah?

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Wahhhh! I want one.

I really want two, but I don't want to be greedy

Merlin1958
04-19-2018, 02:35 PM
Here's a first look at the Misery ARC.

https://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/miseryarc1.jpg

And the black tape version

https://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/miseryarc3.jpg

(Don't worry proof collectors, I wouldn't do that to you...)

Very, very nice!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

TravelinJack
04-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Awesome to see a collector inspired/created proof. Very cool.

lotuz
04-19-2018, 03:09 PM
Awesome to see a collector inspired/created proof. Very cool.

Agreed - a graphic and two-color printing!! What a nice proof :)

sharki69
04-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Awesome Paul!

HONKYTONKSMASH
04-19-2018, 03:20 PM
That is cool as hell :thumbsup:

C1TIZEN_X
04-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Now that is an awesome looking proof!!

jhanic
04-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Added to proof listing. Great job, Paul!

John

AKC
04-19-2018, 04:32 PM
Auction Thread CLOSED.

Momentum killed.

webstar1000
04-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Auction Thread CLOSED.

Momentum killed.

Lol proof stalls at $1500:(

AKC
04-19-2018, 04:36 PM
That is unfortunate. Silly.

Father Cody
04-19-2018, 04:38 PM
What do you guys mean? What’s the Auction Thread?

AKC
04-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Way to go Sharki....

You upset the Wizard of Oz...or TDT I mean.

sharki69
04-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Way to go Sharki....

Really?

Well, I only wanted to make a suggestion. I apologize if I did something wrong

AKC
04-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Way to go Sharki....

Really?

Well, I only wanted make a suggestion. I apologize if I did something wrong

All good with me bud.

Let’s see what the Wizard has to say.....

AKC
04-19-2018, 04:50 PM
The thread and corresponding auction momentum is open and running once again.

Thank you Sir Wizard....

Randall Flagg
04-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Not sure what is going on. A staff level person (I don't think it was me), can accidentally double click on a thread and close it.
Usually happens on a cell phone.
Everyone needs to take a deep breath and relax.

Jimimck
04-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Not sure what is going on. A staff level person (I don't think it was me), can accidentally double click on a thread and close it.

I've accidentally done that on a FB thread, stopped comments in error. People FLIP OUT!

You're dead right, take a breath people.

Brian James Freeman
04-22-2018, 02:50 PM

I've accidentally done that on a FB thread, stopped comments in error. People FLIP OUT!

You're dead right, take a breath people.

:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:: panic:

Ari_Racing
04-23-2018, 08:23 AM
Very nice proof! Congratulations, Paul! I really can't wait for the final book! :)

zelig
04-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Very nice proof! Congratulations, Paul! I really can't wait for the final book! :)

Thanks Ari!

becca69
05-02-2018, 09:12 AM
New Misery interior by Rick Berry posted on FB: https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/posts/1954145991322474?comment_id=1954176811319392&notif_id=1525280963723886&notif_t=feed_comment&ref=notif

FlyerPhan0826
05-02-2018, 10:09 AM
New Misery interior by Rick Berry posted on FB: https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/posts/1954145991322474?comment_id=1954176811319392&notif_id=1525280963723886&notif_t=feed_comment&ref=notifWow, looks fantastic!

MikeDuke
05-02-2018, 10:26 AM
New Misery interior by Rick Berry posted on FB: https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/posts/1954145991322474?comment_id=1954176811319392&notif_id=1525280963723886&notif_t=feed_comment&ref=notif
Yea, that does look awesome. I like how the shadow on the wall almost looks like a spider, or bug of some kind

Br!an
05-02-2018, 11:31 AM
That is fantastic.

I like the "bug" shadow.

I like the obscure transition of floor to wall, and the shadow transition of the back inside corner. Both made it easier for the artist, but they actually add to the picture instead of feeling like cheats. Also that allowed him to spend time on the outside corner of the stone work which looks amazing.

Paul Sheldon looks young. :orely:

Annie Wilkes looks like... Annie Wilkes. She could kick my butt.

Fantastic!

surly
05-02-2018, 11:36 AM
I absolutely love Berry's style and it's exciting to hear how dedicated he is to this project. It is certainly shaping up to be one for the ages, and I cannot wait to see how it all turns out.

RichardX
05-02-2018, 11:39 AM
That is fantastic.

Paul Sheldon looks young. :orely:

Fantastic!

Yes, I was wondering who the kid was for a while.

Father Cody
05-02-2018, 01:14 PM
That spider shadow is holy shit creepy.

Patrick
05-02-2018, 04:58 PM
I like the spider shadow. It feels like a nod to the Dark Tower series and other King books.

webstar1000
05-03-2018, 04:04 AM
I like the spider shadow. It feels like a nod to the Dark Tower series and other King books.

MY thoughts on this exactly.

Ari_Racing
05-03-2018, 05:14 AM
Very intriguing email from Paul today and new entry in his website:

https://suntup.press/news/invitation/

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/invitationv2.jpg

Father Cody
05-03-2018, 05:16 AM
Very intriguing email from Paul today. May 8th. :)

Wait that was a real invite?

Ari_Racing
05-03-2018, 05:21 AM
It's a wink. We'll have to wait until May 8th to know...maybe Suntup's next book? ;)

TravelinJack
05-03-2018, 05:21 AM
Tis’ a clue.

Father Cody
05-03-2018, 05:23 AM
Oh geez I better get another cup of coffee :doh:

Ari_Racing
05-03-2018, 05:23 AM
If it's by King...may it have something to do with Jerusalem's Lot?

Father Cody
05-03-2018, 05:25 AM
If it's by King...may it have something to do with Jerusalem's Lot?

At first I thought it was an excerpt from Jerusalem’s Lot. Paul you write like the King!

Ari_Racing
05-03-2018, 05:26 AM
It sounds so Lovecraft. :)

webstar1000
05-03-2018, 05:31 AM
Omg Suntup book!! New one!!!

Tony
05-03-2018, 05:34 AM
This is most definitely Fall of the House of Usher. You heard it here first!

Room 217 Caretaker
05-03-2018, 05:39 AM
My spam filter thought the Suntop invitation was phishing....hahahaha.

Mulleins

jon10g
05-03-2018, 05:40 AM
Very Poe like

firemonkey66
05-03-2018, 05:51 AM
Damnit, I have to buy a house warming gift?:)

TravelinJack
05-03-2018, 05:56 AM
Agreed on Poe'esq.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-03-2018, 06:15 AM
The book publishers are trying to bleed me as dry as Barlow did Susan in the Lot. Oh well, it's sexy no matter how you look at it.

Frondz
05-03-2018, 06:46 AM
Usher's Passing by McCammon??

amd013
05-03-2018, 08:27 AM
My guess:

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

lotuz
05-03-2018, 08:44 AM
This is excellent news! As much as I'm looking forward to Misery I am more excited to see the direction that Paul chooses to go with the press.

Burnt Offerings or Coldheart Canyon would be my guess for this one.

There are no shortage of excellent Haunted House classics to choose from, and the wording on the invitation is clever enough that it sounds familiar but I just can't quite put my finger on it...

webstar1000
05-03-2018, 08:50 AM
My guess:

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Your not the first I have heard say this...

lotuz
05-03-2018, 09:07 AM
I'm a little skeptical of The Haunting of Hill House because I know another small press has the rights to it and is planning a special edition.

Of course, if there is list of horror classics that deserve the attention of multiple fine publishers, The Haunting of Hill House is surely on it!

EDIT: Going through my emails I see that it has been mentioned several times in the newsletter, so here are the details: The Haunting of Hill House will be published by Centipede Press, with art by Matt Mahurin and a new introduction by Caitlin Kiernan. It's oversized with a slipcase, and will probably be out in 2019.

Patrick
05-03-2018, 09:22 AM
I love the creativity of the hints that Paul releases. I enjoyed receiving this email. Looking forward to more information on Monday.

T-Dogz_AK47
05-03-2018, 10:21 AM
The Haunting of Hill House features an 80 year old mansion with a female caretaker (Mrs Dudley). Reading Paul's invite, it is clearly this book that is being referenced.

Br!an
05-03-2018, 11:30 AM
I highly doubt Paul would do a limited that another publisher is putting out as a limited unless it was a collaboration.

Room 217 Caretaker
05-03-2018, 11:34 AM
I wonder what Paul is serving for dinner when we all show up...hahahaha.

Mulleins

TravelinJack
05-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Mulleins

Fava beans.

amd013
05-03-2018, 11:47 AM

Mulleins

Yeah, I gotta confess when I first started reading it, I thought it was a real invitation, until I realized there was no address and the date was only 4 days away. LOL

Beverly Marsh
05-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Heck I was getting ready to start packing a suitcase!
VERY intriguing......and VERY clever :biggrin:

Randall Flagg
05-03-2018, 01:02 PM
Heck I was getting ready to start packing a suitcase!
VERY intriguing......and VERY clever :biggrin:
The only thing to pack in the suitcase is cash...

zelig
05-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Good times. And I’m sure a party at my place with all of you would be epic!

Randall Flagg
05-03-2018, 01:23 PM
I'll bring the Pliny The Elder.

DoctorZaius
05-03-2018, 01:37 PM
This is excellent news! As much as I'm looking forward to Misery I am excited to see the direction that Paul chooses to go with the press.

Burnt Offerings or Coldheart Canyon would be my guess for this one.

There are no shortage of excellent Haunted House classics to choose from, and the wording on the invitation is clever enough that it sounds familiar but I just can't quite put my finger on it...

Coldheart Canyon was already done, so I doubt that title very much.

lotuz
05-03-2018, 01:47 PM

This is the house party of my dreams

Centipede Press did Burnt Offerings also, but I figured maybe it had been long enough for someone else to take it on. Looking back, it was in 2011 (which is more recently than I thought) so probably not.

I didn't know about Coldheart Canyon!

TravelinJack
05-03-2018, 04:05 PM
I hate to break it to everyone, but this is actually the first ever signed limited and lettered, ‘Goodnight Moon’ ever. First dozen get a signed Remarque of the little old lady whispering hush.

jsmcmullen92
05-04-2018, 05:38 AM
I hate to break it to everyone, but this is actually the first ever signed limited and lettered, ‘Goodnight Moon’ ever. First dozen get a signed Remarque of the little old lady whispering hush.

I thought it would be "Go the Fuck to Sleep" signed: Samuel L. Jackson - Motherfucker.

Father Cody
05-04-2018, 05:57 AM
I’d buy that in a New York minute

Brian861
05-04-2018, 02:13 PM
Well, I gotta hand it to Paul this time. He decided to break the news on my payday. Evil, evil man :evil:

T-Dogz_AK47
05-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Well, I gotta hand it to Paul this time. He decided to break the news on my payday. Evil, evil man :evil:

:lol::nana:

Hunchback Jack
05-04-2018, 04:46 PM
I’d buy that in a New York minute

Me too.

DoctorZaius
05-04-2018, 07:26 PM

This is the house party of my dreams

Centipede Press did Burnt Offerings also, but I figured maybe it had been long enough for someone else to take it on. Looking back, it was in 2011 (which is more recently than I thought) so probably not.

I didn't know about Coldheart Canyon!

Coldheart Canyon was done by B. E. Trice - 150 numbered copies and 26 lettered.

Father Cody
05-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Newbie question: does it really matter if another limited edition from another publisher exists? Can there only be one? If I’m not mistaken, CD and PS both published a limited edition of Salem’s Lot, no?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-04-2018, 10:55 PM
Newbie question: does it really matter if another limited edition from another publisher exists? Can there only be one? If I’m not mistaken, CD and PS both published a limited edition of Salem’s Lot, no?

And both CD and PS were years behind the Centipede Press S/L from 2004.

webstar1000
05-07-2018, 02:11 AM
5 hours till next Suntup reveal!!!! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!

Stockerlone
05-07-2018, 03:53 AM

The first EOTD Portfolio get published 1987
from Edition Phantasia.

Pasiuk57
05-07-2018, 03:58 AM
Frank
your box is full...

Father Cody
05-07-2018, 05:07 AM

The first EOTD Portfolio get published 1987
from Edition Phantasia.

So really it could be anything. I’m sticking with my original guess of Jerusalem’s Lot. Something about the letter made me think of that story. Whatever it is, I’m buying it! :lol:

Hunchback Jack
05-07-2018, 07:07 AM
Paul has announced:

https://suntup.press/the-haunting-of-hill-house/

Congratulations, Paul!!! It looks like an amazing edition.

And note to previous collectors:

Owners of our previous publication will have first refusal rights on our next publication. For those who own a Numbered or Lettered edition of Misery, IF we publish another Stephen King book in the future, you will not lose your matching rights if you choose to pass on this edition. Keep in mind though, that if you do pass, you will not have first refusal rights to the book that is published after The Haunting of Hill House.

jeffingoff
05-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Sad that there is no Gift/Artist edition. I hope that won't always be the case going forward.

zelig
05-07-2018, 07:14 AM
I highly doubt Paul would do a limited that another publisher is putting out as a limited unless it was a collaboration.

Now that it has been announced, I wanted to respond to this. You’re correct Brian. Ordinarily I would not. However, in the case of Hill House, neither Jerad or myself knew we were each planning an edition. I found out at the last minute when the deal was done. Neither of us were told at any point during the process, and we were both too far into it to change anything. When I learned of Centipede’s plans, I reached out to Jerad. He and I are good and as mentioned by Lotuz, if there were ever a book that deserves to get special treatment by more than one publishers, Hill House is that book. We will both have different takes on it and will end up with two beautiful editions I’m sure.

jeffingoff
05-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Paul has announced:

Owners of our previous publication will have first refusal rights on our next publication. For those who own a Numbered or Lettered edition of Misery, IF we publish another Stephen King book in the future, you will not lose your matching rights if you choose to pass on this edition. Keep in mind though, that if you do pass, you will not have first refusal rights to the book that is published after The Haunting of Hill House.

I think it's great to give King collectors the chance to opt in just for King books. But I don't know why you wouldn't want every edition! This one looks gorgeous.

webstar1000
05-07-2018, 07:23 AM
That book looks unreal. Paul could you share more about the key lock on the front? It looks soooo cool on both edition!!

RC65
05-07-2018, 07:24 AM

Now that it has been announced, I wanted to respond to this. You’re correct Brian. Ordinarily I would not. However, in the case of Hill House, neither Jerad or myself knew we were each planning an edition. I found out at the last minute when the deal was done. Neither of us were told at any point during the process, and we were both too far into it to change anything. When I learned of Centipede’s plans, I reached out to Jerad. He and I are good and as mentioned by Lotuz, if there were ever a book that deserves to get special treatment by more than one publishers, Hill House is that book. We will both have different takes on it and will end up with two beautiful editions I’m sure.

Paul, I appreciate the behind-the-scene insight...I knew about the Centipede edition, so as soon as I saw this morning's announcement from you, that potential conflict of plans was the first thing that entered my mind.

Best of luck with your edition; it looks to be a gorgeous production.

Father Cody
05-07-2018, 07:30 AM
I want that Planchette! But I guess I’d settle for the brass key :)

Father Cody
05-07-2018, 07:31 AM
It’s stunning, Paul! You’ve done it again.

MikeDuke
05-07-2018, 07:32 AM
They both look fantastic Paul. Really. A great choice for your next edition.

St. Troy
05-07-2018, 07:34 AM
I thought it would be "Go the Fuck to Sleep" signed: Samuel L. Jackson - Motherfucker.

A great coffee table book.

ICry4Oy
05-07-2018, 07:46 AM
Looks GREAT Paul! But I'm not gonna lie, I had to google "escutcheon" to find out what the heck would be on the book...

ICry4Oy
05-07-2018, 07:47 AM

A great coffee table book.

I would SOOOO love to own that!

Patrick
05-07-2018, 07:52 AM
This is going to be another beautiful Suntup edition!

St. Troy
05-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Looks GREAT Paul! But I'm not gonna lie, I had to google "escutcheon" to find out what the heck would be on the book...

In that, you don't walk alone...

Frondz
05-07-2018, 07:55 AM
Hey Paul, beautiful looking edition coming for an amazing book! Can't wait. Do you have any time frame for when the pre-order link might be sent out today? Ahem...trying to plan work breaks around it. :)

jsmcmullen92
05-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Hey Paul, beautiful looking edition coming for an amazing book! Can't wait. Do you have any time frame for when the pre-order link might be sent out today? Ahem...trying to plan work breaks around it. :)

It's at the very bottom of the page with information. (sorry dont have it open right now but I think it was the 9th)

firemonkey66
05-07-2018, 08:13 AM
Paul has announced:

I think it's great to give King collectors the chance to opt in just for King books. But I don't know why you wouldn't want every edition! This one looks gorgeous.

The interesting thing is that means a numbered or lettered Misery will indefinitely retain rights to a matching number or letter of the next King book Suntup publishes regardless of what else they publish in the interim. I think that is going to bolster the value of Misery significantly on the secondary market in the years to come. The pricepoints we have seen for private sales up until today were with further rights as an unknown factor. Now sellers/buyers know, if you own a numbered or lettered Misery, you will be able to buy a matching number or letter King book at publication price if Suntup publishes one. I think that certainty is going to add additional significant value to Misery:)

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Wowza

firemonkey66
05-07-2018, 08:17 AM
Paul, awesome choice and design! Congratulations on your third Suntup publication!

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Looks fantastic, Paul. Another home run

Frondz
05-07-2018, 08:21 AM

It's at the very bottom of the page with information. (sorry dont have it open right now but I think it was the 9th)

Yes, general pre-order is the 9th. Previous owners get a link to match numbers/letters sometime between today and tomorrow. Perhaps I will just take a FEW extra breaks today to make sure I'm on top of it. It is, after all, a Monday. :)

zelig
05-07-2018, 08:30 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words!

That book looks unreal. Paul could you share more about the key lock on the front? It looks soooo cool on both edition!!

It's an antique style keyhole cover that will be mounted onto the cover of the boxes.

Don't worry, I had to as well when I was working on this. And there's a picture of them on the release page.

The email just went out a few minutes ago.

ICry4Oy
05-07-2018, 08:31 AM
Ordered!!! :nana:

Hunchback Jack
05-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Also ordered! :dance:

(Hopefully I'm one of the first 25 - that planchette looks like a beautiful little bonus. I was diligently watching my inbox up until a couple of minutes before the email went out, but got distracted and didn't see it until 10 minutes after it arrived, darn it!) :eek:

HBJ

firemonkey66
05-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Another order! :nana::nana:

webstar1000
05-07-2018, 08:44 AM

In that, you don't walk alone...

lol I did to. :thumbsup:

Father Cody
05-07-2018, 08:53 AM
I’m sitting here watching my emails like a hawk and I step away for 12 minutes to tell my kid, “be a good boy and stop crying. I know you’re hungry but daddy’s got this important email coming, see, so just play with your toys until mommy gets back and I promise she’ll give you your num nums.” Then I threw a cracker at him and rushed back and what do ya know!

firemonkey66
05-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Paul, why did you choose The Haunting of Hill House? Any special connection to it?

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-07-2018, 09:30 AM
He was scared not to.

cit74
05-07-2018, 09:35 AM
I’m on the suntup lifetime installment plan…at some point I’ll add a direct deposit from my paycheck

Ari_Racing
05-07-2018, 09:56 AM
It looks AWESOME. WELL DONE! :)

zelig
05-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Paul, why did you choose The Haunting of Hill House? Any special connection to it?

Interesting story about the origin of this release. Last year I was visiting Stephen Gervais. We were sitting in his living room chatting about nothing in particular. I don't remember how the topic came up, but he mentioned how much he would love to illustrate a limited edition of Hill House, and at the time I was also considering what books to add to the pipeline. So I said, okay I'm going to make it happen. He brought out a copy of the Franklin biography and we talked about it further. He mentioned some other publishers had tried in the past, but weren't successful. It was enough of a challenge for me to pursue. It took many months, but as you can see, it happened. Aside from that, it's a beautiful work, and Ruth Franklin will explore some of the themes in her introduction.