PDA

View Full Version : Suntup Editions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

GenericEric
04-16-2021, 11:49 AM
Was finally able to get the artist edition of Rosemary's Baby from someone on the facebook group!

Trying to find this edition hasn't been easy. They rarely pop up on ebay anymore. It was sent in the original Suntup packaging too! Worth every penny!

Garrell
04-16-2021, 12:06 PM
Congrats. May be selling mine, still on the fence.

burgerhicks80
04-22-2021, 08:18 AM
One week until the new book is announced! I'm still thinking its Imajica but there are so many possibilities. Fantasy books are inclined to be long works. I'm wondering if this is a standalone work though or the first book of a larger series? If standalone it may be easier to narrow down what it could be.

BrewMeister
04-22-2021, 09:01 AM
Not Suntup related, per se, but I see Earthing Publications is producing a numbered edition of Ania Alborn's new novel Dark Across the Bay for $50. They are also doing a 15 copy lettered with a TBD price. Since this is just coming out, I doubt if Suntup will be doing an edition of this book, so I thought I'd send out a heads up.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-22-2021, 09:22 AM
Not Suntup related, per se, but I see Earthing Publications is producing a numbered edition of Ania Alborn's new novel Dark Across the Bay for $50. They are also doing a 15 copy lettered with a TBD price. Since this is just coming out, I doubt if Suntup will be doing an edition of this book, so I thought I'd send out a heads up.

If you want the lettered edition you have to put your name on a list.
The price will be about $500, which sounds reasonable, seeing there are only 15 copies.
I'm on the list but I doubt I will get one with my bad luck.

St. Troy
04-22-2021, 09:24 AM
One week until the new book is announced! I'm still thinking its Imajica but there are so many possibilities.

I'm reading Imajica now (for the first time) to try to see if it's something I'd want a deluxe edition of; I doubt I'll finish in time, but we'll see. Exciting, no matter what it is.

St. Troy
04-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Not that anyone needs any more trolling in their lives, but there are quite a few people on LibraryThing of the opinion that Paul invented the concept of limitation, of which (and of him) they don't think highly. It really is something.

webstar1000
04-22-2021, 10:30 AM
Not that anyone needs any more trolling in their lives, but there are quite a few people on LibraryThing of the opinion that Paul invented the concept of limitation, of which (and of him) they don't think highly. It really is something.

I WILL NOT go to that posineous bullshit site. That makes me vibrate with anger...

DoctorZaius
04-22-2021, 10:32 AM
One week until the new book is announced! I'm still thinking its Imajica but there are so many possibilities.

I'm reading Imajica now (for the first time) to try to see if it's something I'd want a deluxe edition of; I doubt I'll finish in time, but we'll see. Exciting, no matter what it is.

What a treat Imajica is - I hope you are enjoying it.

GenericEric
04-22-2021, 10:38 AM

I WILL NOT go to that posineous bullshit site. That makes me vibrate with anger...

I've never been there before, but I just skimmed through the thread St. Troy was talking about and you're not wrong. I've already had enough and won't be going there again.

St. Troy
04-22-2021, 10:39 AM

It makes me vibrate with amusement - all these supposed "book people" professing to be surprised by a publisher with small print runs.

It's unheard of!

What on earth is this Suntup about?

Who does he think he is?

Surely he takes us for a pack of uncultured swine!

Doubtless his rapid growth and constant sellouts are but the first leg of the road to failure!

...or maybe specialty publishing involves small runs of a custom product, but I'm no expert. :shrug:

(Also, no one tell them about Virgil Abloh's bricks. Shhhhh!)

St. Troy
04-22-2021, 10:41 AM
What a treat Imajica is - I hope you are enjoying it.

I'm about 270 pages in, and while I am enjoying it, the funny thing is that the parts that technically are more "fantasy":

with Gentle and Pie traveling outside our world

...are much less entertaining than the more conventional parts, which are gritty and compelling (I find the former sillier, almost unserious, as if Barker doesn't want us as invested in it).

Joe315
04-22-2021, 01:37 PM
Just looked at that library thing thread too. Suntup is “behind”? Come on. I think they’ve only been “late” because of production errors. Paul certainly seems to have hit his releases thus far.

willie3
04-22-2021, 02:08 PM
Won’t make much difference, but did add a comment on the spoiled child tone exhibited in the original Library Thing post.
Talk about an asshat...

webstar1000
04-22-2021, 03:32 PM
Won’t make much difference, but did add a comment on the spoiled child tone exhibited in the original Library Thing post.
Talk about an asshat...

Good work

Br!an
04-22-2021, 04:16 PM
What thread? Link?

willie3
04-22-2021, 05:56 PM
My post hidden now due to being “flagged by multiple users”.

https://www.librarything.com/topic/329789#n7487342

ajw2910
04-22-2021, 06:03 PM
Seems like a lot of folks aren’t happy unless they have something to complain about.

One more reason I’m not a big fan of people. 😁

St. Troy
04-22-2021, 06:55 PM
My post hidden now due to being “flagged by multiple users”.

https://www.librarything.com/topic/329789#n7487342

Dissent not welcome.

jeffingoff
04-22-2021, 07:55 PM
That was exhausting and unsatisfying (now I know how my wife feels). Every complaint, in other words: “I should have the right to buy whatever I want. This is only rights system I believe in.”

It’s all sour grapes. They can’t get them. They can’t get them for the price they want. They can’t tolerate a world where both those things are true. So it must be Suntup’s fault. Or human folly. Or hype. Or scam. Or gimmick. Or market manipulation. Or addiction. Or fad.

I’ve never seen a more privileged assortment of twats wrapping their pouting in such intellectual rendering worthy of a letterpress that requires nothing so barbaric and crude as electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webstar1000
04-23-2021, 01:47 AM
I couldn’t even read that all. Unreal... what is up their asses? That’s just pathetic lol

MikeDuke
04-23-2021, 05:54 AM
I did not even read the article, and although the day is young, THIS IS the quote of the day
"I’ve never seen a more privileged assortment of twats wrapping their pouting in such intellectual rendering worthy of a letterpress that requires nothing so barbaric and crude as electricity."

kingfan2323
04-23-2021, 07:52 AM
That was exhausting and unsatisfying (now I know how my wife feels). Every complaint, in other words: “I should have the right to buy whatever I want. This is only rights system I believe in.”

It’s all sour grapes. They can’t get them. They can’t get them for the price they want. They can’t tolerate a world where both those things are true. So it must be Suntup’s fault. Or human folly. Or hype. Or scam. Or gimmick. Or market manipulation. Or addiction. Or fad.

I’ve never seen a more privileged assortment of twats wrapping their pouting in such intellectual rendering worthy of a letterpress that requires nothing so barbaric and crude as electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat second paragraph was my thoughts exactly.

ISO: anything DT related #246

Noxus35
04-23-2021, 09:33 AM
I don't like that website, i think it is an overrated gimmicky (kind of) library thing, not worth my time and.. well, it's just too damn gimmicky tbh.

Sent from my CPH1919 using Tapatalk

mattgreenbean
04-23-2021, 09:51 AM
I remember the summer I read Imajica, 99'. I worked in the "garden" center of the Target near me. I had all the time in the day to read books. It was the complete paperback, (not the split in 2 books version.)

It would be such a experience to be able to return to that world by way of a Suntup production.

With 2 little ones and real work now in my life, it would have to wait. But, I'd have it waiting on my shelf; and when the time comes, it would bring a lot of joy!

Splync
04-23-2021, 09:54 AM
I read most of that thread and there are some actual good discussion points sprinkled throughout. The tone of the OP definitely doesn't help though.

Once you get past that OP and the attitudes of some of the contributors, there are actual some level-headed folks discussing the rights system and the community, and they weren't solely negative discussions.

There's actually a lot of praise for Paul in that thread, which is definitely NOT seen in the first post.

Oh there's definitely whining too, but there are some good discussions.

As for Willie's comment, I think it was a bit strong for the current temperature of that thread. The pissy nature of the OP had definitely sizzled out at that point, so I'm not surprised his comment got flagged. The discussion was down to a calm 3 when Willie kicked in the door with a solid 10.

jeffingoff
04-23-2021, 11:12 AM
I read most of that thread and there are some actual good discussion points sprinkled throughout. The tone of the OP definitely doesn't help though.

Once you get past that OP and the attitudes of some of the contributors, there are actual some level-headed folks discussing the rights system and the community, and they weren't solely negative discussions.

There's actually a lot of praise for Paul in that thread, which is definitely NOT seen in the first post.

Oh there's definitely whining too, but there are some good discussions.

As for Willie's comment, I think it was a bit strong for the current temperature of that thread. The pissy nature of the OP had definitely sizzled out at that point, so I'm not surprised his comment got flagged. The discussion was down to a calm 3 when Willie kicked in the door with a solid 10.

You’re obviously more generous than I am. Since the entire foundation of their discussion was baseless I toss it all out. Yes there were some valid points. Valid criticisms as well. There’s always a way to make things better. But the overall tone was entitled and whiny. Kids mad because they can’t sit at the cool kids table despite the fact that there are only so many chairs and it’s the unforgiving math that’s preventing them from inclusion. Not the perceived cool kids.

I think Paul’s done plenty to expand that table. With apology and sincerity.

They’re mad they’re outside and to make themselves feel better they declare there’s nothing worthwhile inside and no one inside but fools.

Also they don’t want to buy every book to maintain rights. But they also don’t want to pay secondary market prices. Both are governed by demand. So they claim Paul is a Svengali cult leader creating magical demand.

Fact is there is no bogeyman and the tantrum was just annoying. I don’t understand how reciprocating loyalty can be labeled unfair.

Anyway now I’m having a tantrum. So this beast feeds itself.

I love open discussion with positive and negative opinions on these books. I think it only hurts Suntup to only get praise. But there has to be substance in the discussion and not just declaring Paul a Machiavelli and his customers sycophants.

Ari_Racing
04-23-2021, 02:35 PM
I won't talk about the business model because it's none of my business and there's no way to please everyone. But I found some of the opinions on the market and fanbase interesting and worth reading, no matter if I agree with them or not.

willie3
04-23-2021, 03:06 PM
My favorite quote of the day...
“The discussion was down to a calm 3 when Willie kicked in the door with a solid 10.”

Jeff you are correct, “...the Beast feeds itself” and frankly the whining pissed me off.
Getting older, I have no patience or tolerance for that crap, especially from someone who feels entitled to talk down to me and/or people I have respect for.

Joe315
04-23-2021, 04:55 PM
As someone who can't always be available at release I really appreciate Paul's rights system. I have missed out on plenty of books because I was busy doing other things when the announcement email came through or I wasn't monitoring a site 24 hours a day to make sure I didn't miss the go live time. I've also missed out, although this is rare, on getting a matching copy of the next book in a series because I didn't get an email or the publisher didn't have a rights system. It is what it is and it doesn't bother me how the publisher(s) handled the release. It's one model of many. Other industries are suffering from release issues. I've been trying to get a new graphics card for months but get beat out from any potential buy by bots. I hate it and wish retailers would do something about it, but I will get it eventually.

Would I normally be interested in buying every single book Paul releases? Probably not but the collector in me really likes the idea of having a complete publishers back list (at least of the numbered; minus Misery (dammit)). And I now own beautiful copies of some great novels like Red Dragon and The Road.

And I do get the FOMO thing. I've experienced like everyone else. But a limited edition should be limited. 250 or 350 or 500. It's all fine.

Br!an
04-23-2021, 04:55 PM
I have been a member of that site for years. I hardly ever go there. I'm now reminded why that is.

The thing many people miss is that Paul is using artists, artisans and fine craftsmen to craft his books. An artist or artisan or craftsman can't produce an unlimited amount of product. Limitations are absolutely necessary.

There are mass market books available for readers.

Cry me river.

RC65
04-23-2021, 06:31 PM
I guess I have no real idea what Library Thing is — I always thought it was just where folks archived listings of their collection, not discuss books — but I found the portion of the thread I read vaguely interesting and perhaps more balanced than I think Jeff thought. But it did seem like there was some unwarranted criticism born of buyer frustration over Suntup’s business model, a model that may be a bit different than the typical small-press publisher but it’s certainly no less fair simply because it favors previous customers and rewards loyalty.

jeffingoff
04-23-2021, 07:11 PM
I guess I have no real idea what Library Thing is — I always thought it was just where folks archived listings of their collection, not discuss books — but I found the portion of the thread I read vaguely interesting and perhaps more balanced than I think Jeff thought. But it did seem like there was some unwarranted criticism born of buyer frustration over Suntup’s business model, a model that may be a bit different than the typical small-press publisher but it’s certainly no less fair simply because it favors previous customers and rewards loyalty.

If the comments there were like yours then I could see it being a constructive conversation. But few people are as thoughtful and level-headed as you, Ron.

My final thought on this: The rights system would have no teeth if there was no demand. It would merely be a courtesy. Current customers get a link ahead of everyone else. Simple as that. But the demand is there. And no amount of hype can create such sustainable, persistent, growing demand. Hype evaporates under scrutiny. In fact, it’s worse when expectations are over-inflated and the finished product is held to impossible standards. But Suntup books continue to meet and exceed expectations. 1984 is a prime example.

JGeis
04-24-2021, 06:50 AM
I think it’s pretty obvious that the largely negative commentary present in that thread is due (as others have already said) to some folks being irritated that they can’t just decide to purchase an individual Suntup numbered or lettered edition on a whim without paying a huge secondary market price. Many people find comfort in disparaging things they don’t have rather than just admitting that they wish they did have them.

I fully admit, as someone who is not a member of the numbered train, there have been times where seeing certain practices such as folks immediately listing their numbered editions for sale at a price increase, months before the book will be in hand, so that they can recoup their funds and maintain their rights, have been annoying to me. But those thoughts are ultimately hypocritical and fleeting. I can’t, with any degree of surety, say that were I in that position, that I wouldn’t do the same.

Regardless, the publisher certainly can’t be held accountable for the actions of the public. None of this would matter if the demand for these books wasn’t so high that people are willing to pay that secondary market premium in order to acquire them.

If anything, that fact alone should be considered all the evidence necessary to establish that Suntup is doing something, many things, very, very well, as a statement of truth rather than conjecture.

MikeDuke
04-24-2021, 07:39 AM
I think it’s pretty obvious that the largely negative commentary present in that thread is due (as others have already said) to some folks being irritated that they can’t just decide to purchase an individual Suntup numbered or lettered edition on a whim without paying a huge secondary market price. Many people find comfort in disparaging things they don’t have rather than just admitting that they wish they did have them.

I fully admit, as someone who is not a member of the numbered train, there have been times where seeing certain practices such as folks immediately listing their numbered editions for sale at a price increase, months before the book will be in hand, so that they can recoup their funds and maintain their rights, have been annoying to me. But those thoughts are ultimately hypocritical and fleeting. I can’t, with any degree of surety, say that were I in that position, that I wouldn’t do the same.

Regardless, the publisher certainly can’t be held accountable for the actions of the public. None of this would matter if the demand for these books wasn’t so high that people are willing to pay that secondary market premium in order to acquire them.

If anything, that fact alone should be considered all the evidence necessary to establish that Suntup is doing something, many things, very, very well, as a statement of truth rather than conjecture.
Can I get an Amen.

DoctorZaius
04-24-2021, 07:41 AM
I won't talk about the business model because it's none of my business and there's no way to please everyone. But I found some of the options on the market and fanbase interesting and worth reading, no matter if I agree with them or not.

I quite agree. Love to read the banter, but in the end it's up to the business owner to run his/her/their business the way they want. As a consumer I can then make up my own mind if I want to purchase.

Br!an
04-24-2021, 12:23 PM
Seems I'm the proud owner of a "very low end of the fine/private press tradition" set of Suntup books. :orely:

St. Troy
04-24-2021, 03:58 PM

The site prevents me from giving reputation to anyone who might deserve it, so I’ll do this the old fashioned way: well said, sir.

St. Troy
04-24-2021, 04:05 PM
The rights system would have no teeth if there was no demand...But the demand is there. And no amount of hype can create such sustainable, persistent, growing demand. Hype evaporates under scrutiny.

This. Repeated, proven substance which generates the sizzle.

Hunchback Jack
04-25-2021, 06:19 PM
As someone who can't always be available at release I really appreciate Paul's rights system. I have missed out on plenty of books because I was busy doing other things when the announcement email came through or I wasn't monitoring a site 24 hours a day to make sure I didn't miss the go live time. I've also missed out, although this is rare, on getting a matching copy of the next book in a series because I didn't get an email or the publisher didn't have a rights system. It is what it is and it doesn't bother me how the publisher(s) handled the release. It's one model of many. Other industries are suffering from release issues. I've been trying to get a new graphics card for months but get beat out from any potential buy by bots. I hate it and wish retailers would do something about it, but I will get it eventually.

Would I normally be interested in buying every single book Paul releases? Probably not but the collector in me really likes the idea of having a complete publishers back list (at least of the numbered; minus Misery (dammit)). And I now own beautiful copies of some great novels like Red Dragon and The Road.

And I do get the FOMO thing. I've experienced like everyone else. But a limited edition should be limited. 250 or 350 or 500. It's all fine.

This post sums up my position exactly. I have nothing to add.

MikeDuke
04-25-2021, 08:56 PM
"Would I normally be interested in buying every single book Paul releases? Probably not but the collector in me really likes the idea of having a complete publishers back list (at least of the numbered; minus Misery (dammit)"
I am with you there Joe, which is why I will continue to collect Suntup books. Besides, Paul has some picked some amazing books and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

Dolan
04-27-2021, 08:12 AM

Damn this was good.

jeffingoff
04-27-2021, 08:21 AM

Damn this was good.

I’ve been checking the thread for updates and it’s taken a constructive turn. We’re finally getting real opinions instead of high pitched whining. I like seeing the discussion even if I don’t agree with a lot of it.

One thing I don’t understand: if Suntup is at the “low end of fine press” why do they care to own any of the books? It shouldn’t matter to them if the rights system keeps them on the sidelines. Let the fools part with their money.

Hunchback Jack
04-27-2021, 08:47 AM
Some of it is definitely sour grapes, but a lot of it is just the cynicism you often see on the internet towards something new and successful. Especially when the cynic was not a part of it from the start.

And to be fair, from the outside, it would be easy to think that numbered editions priced like other publishers’ lettered editions, and Roman numeral editions priced at what you could buy a small car for, could be a money-grabbing scheme fueled by hype.

You have to see the books to understand.

My own reaction to the numbered Misery was pretty intense. I already owned some very nice lettered editions from other publishers, so I was no stranger to this level of production. But Misery exceeded all my expectations. A lesser publisher might have released a mediocre 185-copy signed edition at that price point, and it still would have sold out. But Suntup’s Misery was obviously the work not just of a King fan, but of a lover of fine books.

I said then that I’d be a Suntup customer for life, and the publications since have only reinforced that position.

HBJ

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-27-2021, 08:58 AM
Damn!
I knew I shouldn't have donated my numbered MISERY to Goodwill!
Grumble, grumble, grumble...

MikeDuke
04-27-2021, 09:03 AM
Even though I made some mistakes, I intend staying on the train as long as possible. I really love the Suntup books and want to continue to get them. The quality is to notch.

St. Troy
04-27-2021, 09:31 AM
...if Suntup is at the “low end of fine press” why do they care to own any of the books?

This is how sneering works.

St. Troy
04-27-2021, 09:36 AM
...from the outside, it would be hard to understand how numbered editions priced like other publishers’ lettered editions, and Roman numeral editions priced at what you could buy a small car for, could be anything but a money-grabbing scheme fueled by hype.

That's the thing about that thread - these people already understand how the small/fine press industry works. Random relatives around the holiday dinner table taking the "this is ridiculous" attitude? Logical. A bunch of fine press "connoisseurs" taking the same attitude? Silly - taking offense in the way they did required an ignorance they lack.

Joe315
04-27-2021, 11:04 AM
...if Suntup is at the “low end of fine press” why do they care to own any of the books?

And if Suntup is the low end what do they consider high end?

Dolan
04-27-2021, 11:37 AM
When I don't like something, I just don't buy it. I don't feel the desire to trash them on websites, or talk badly about business practices I disagree with. I simply and openly don't buy.

These are people locked out of buying at publishers price and they're taking their frustration out on the publisher. I've said dozens of times on the FB page, these are people who are not used to collecting books. They just want what they want, when they want it. They want the price to be really low, they want the value to skyrocket and NO ONE - repeat - NO ONE can make a profit from re-selling unless it's them because they have a dental bill. Or a car payment. Anyone else is a scalper!

It actually makes me nauseous to read sometimes. If I really said how I felt, Kris would have banned me MONTHS ago!

Hunchback Jack
04-27-2021, 11:37 AM
...from the outside, it would be hard to understand how numbered editions priced like other publishers’ lettered editions, and Roman numeral editions priced at what you could buy a small car for, could be anything but a money-grabbing scheme fueled by hype.

That's the thing about that thread - these people already understand how the small/fine press industry works. Random relatives around the holiday dinner table taking the "this is ridiculous" attitude? Logical. A bunch of fine press "connoisseurs" taking the same attitude? Silly - taking offense in the way they did required an ignorance they lack.

Fair point.

St. Troy
04-27-2021, 11:42 AM

A doily bearing a line of Shakespeare that has been embossed on a hand press that can trace its lineage to 17th century Bavaria.

But the whole issue boils down to this: what distinguishes me from the fools at LT (not that everyone there is a fool; I refer only to the fools among them) is that I'd have nary a negative word to say against such a doily, because I understand the value of the intersection of literature, history and craftsmanship such a product would represent, as well as why it would garner attention and appreciation, and would know better than to go all "it's a gimmick!" on them.

St. Troy
04-27-2021, 11:44 AM
When I don't like something, I just don't buy it. I don't feel the desire to trash them on websites...

I have second-hand appreciation for many things I don't actually enjoy; I'm not sure why others aren't the same.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-27-2021, 11:59 AM
Damn!
I knew I shouldn't have given my hand-made Shakespeare doily to Goodwill!

BrewMeister
04-27-2021, 02:51 PM
Damn!
Just as my spirits were starting to drop, a ray of light in the darkness.

Well said sir, well said!

St. Troy
04-28-2021, 03:47 AM
Alright: I’m going to expect everyone to start refining their guesses about tomorrow’s announcement, and since I’m plugging away at one of the things it could be (to see if I should jump on it, should that guess be correct), I’m particularly interested in which way the guesses go.

Hunchback Jack
04-28-2021, 06:39 AM
Damn!

If I could give you +ive rep, I would. That made me laugh.

Hunchback Jack
04-28-2021, 08:26 AM
Well, that was an exciting livestream. Bunch of books shipping. Bunch of books getting read to ship. Neuromancer #ed looking pretty great. Big announcement tomorrow. I’m stoked.

GenericEric
04-28-2021, 08:32 AM
Just curious, is there a reason most seem to think tomorrow's books is Imajica?

I know the clues mention it's epic fantasy novel over 1000 pages and it's the first time they've done a book by this author. I didn't know if there was something else mentioned where people narrowed it down to Imajica.

OldCrow88
04-28-2021, 08:50 AM

I know the clues mention it's over 1000 pages and it's the first time they've done a book by this author. I didn't know if there was something else mentioned where people narrowed it down to Imajica.

I think there was no mention of an artist signature, which implies author and artist are the same person.

GenericEric
04-28-2021, 08:56 AM

I know the clues mention it's over 1000 pages and it's the first time they've done a book by this author. I didn't know if there was something else mentioned where people narrowed it down to Imajica.

I think there was no mention of an artist signature, which implies author and artist are the same person.

That's for the May book. I thought that one could be Barker, but who knows.

OldCrow88
04-28-2021, 09:06 AM

That's for the May book. I thought that one could be Barker, but who knows.

Sorry, got confused. But now I'm definitely confused because I wouldn't anticipate two books in a row from the same author. To your original question I have no idea what clues point to Imajica per se for tomorrow. I suppose there are only so many 1000 page books to choose from. Honestly I prefer to be surprised so I try to ignore any clues and on Thursday stay in blackout mode till noon.

herbertwest
04-28-2021, 09:27 AM
Today's facebook live was interesting
- The end of the cover collection : it's a shame but I am not surprised. I always wonder how many people order them.... I know that there are some awesome french covers I would like to be treated the same way, but
- Tomorrow's book
- Proof reading

Does that mean that the text in the Suntup book versions may be different from other editions?
I know that some books may have typos, but I always assumed that books had to be the same because contractually the author wrote XYZ and therefore, even if XYZ may be grammarticarly wrong, this was the book the way the author designed/wrote it. Different-ish subject, but I believe that for translations, in theory the translator has to agree and validate the final text (I know that because of an issue a few years ago in France), but I don't know what that means for reprints : are correcting obvious typos forbidden or not? Maybe I willl ask a friend of mine that is a translator as I always found that subject interesting

Hunchback Jack
04-28-2021, 10:55 AM
Others on here can speak to this better than I can, but I think sometimes there isn’t a good digital copy of the text available, so the text is scanned in from physical copies of the book. The scanning process isn’t 100% reliable, so a lot of proofreading is needed to ensure accuracy.

Cemetery dance just went through this with Robert McCammon's Usher’s Passing. It was a right pain, apparently.

jsweet
04-28-2021, 11:28 AM
Others on here can speak to this better than I can, but I think sometimes there isn’t a good digital copy of the text available, so the text is scanned in from physical copies of the book. The scanning process isn’t 100% reliable, so a lot of proofreading is needed to ensure accuracy.

Cemetery dance just went through this with Robert McCammon's Usher’s Passing. It was a right pain, apparently.

Exactly. While I can't speak to this book specifically, I do freelance copy editing for a few publishers that publish older books that have no digital version, so they are taken from scans/PDFs and have to be fixed to address those issues. For just one sometimes amusing example, quite often "rn" becomes "m" so yarn becomes yam; barn becomes bam, etc.

St. Troy
04-28-2021, 11:52 AM
So...no speculation about what 1,000 page "epic fantasy" might go well with "graphical elements" the oldest of which dates to 1847? I forget what other guesses are out there, but I recall seeing Imajica (which might have been a guess based on a mistake as noted above), The Name of the Wind, and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell...and damn if Strange/Norrell don't match right up with the 19th century (of course, "graphical elements" could mean different things, and if all we're talking about is something akin to an aged map, then many fantasies are fair game (The Name of the Wind among them) - but I'm not Mr. Fantasy, and I'm sure others must have some ideas.

Br!an
04-28-2021, 12:09 PM
Pillars of the Earth was mentioned.

JeremyM
04-28-2021, 12:14 PM
So...no speculation about what 1,000 page "epic fantasy" might go well with "graphical elements" the oldest of which dates to 1847? I forget what other guesses are out there, but I recall seeing Imajica (which might have been a guess based on a mistake as noted above), The Name of the Wind, and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell...and damn if Strange/Norrell don't match right up with the 19th century (of course, "graphical elements" could mean different things, and if all we're talking about is something akin to an aged map, then many fantasies are fair game (The Name of the Wind among them) - but I'm not Mr. Fantasy, and I'm sure others must have some ideas.

I'm pretty sure Paul is referencing Oliver Byrne's 'Elements of Euclid', which was published in 1847. It's notable for having using colored graphical elements to illustrate the various geometric concepts. How that might fit into an 'epic fantasy' novel though - you've got me.

Edited to add: If the description didn't also say 'epic fantasy' - I'd think 'Anathem' would be a good candidate, given this graphic element.

BrewMeister
04-28-2021, 04:34 PM
I am unfortunately not familiar with any of the books being guessed for tomorrow's announcement. In fact, other than the uncut version of The Stand, I don't believe I've ever owned or read a book over 1,000 pages.

One item that stood out for me from today's announcement was that the AE would have letterpress printing for the "section" pages. If this book is indeed broken up into sections, would that make any of the guesses more or less likely to be correct?

St. Troy
04-28-2021, 06:05 PM
One item that stood out for me from today's announcement was that the AE would have letterpress printing for the "section" pages. If this book is indeed broken up into sections, would that make any of the guesses more or less likely to be correct?

My thoughts exactly (I just couldn’t put the work in to articulate them).

burgerhicks80
04-29-2021, 04:23 AM
Jonathan Strange and mr. Norrell has been a popular guess for todays announcement but I wouldn't call it epic fantasy, if anything I think the June book description would be a more likely place for JS&MN.

shaq
04-29-2021, 04:44 AM
I have seen it described often as Historical Fantasy fiction... not long to find out now, but this is the wiki description..

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is the debut novel by British writer Susanna Clarke. Published in 2004, it is an alternative history set in 19th-century England around the time of the Napoleonic Wars. Its premise is that magic once existed in England and has returned with two men: Gilbert Norrell and Jonathan Strange. Centred on the relationship between these two men, the novel investigates the nature of "Englishness" and the boundaries between reason and unreason, Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Dane, and Northern and Southern English cultural tropes/stereotypes. It has been described as a fantasy novel, an alternative history, and a historical novel. It inverts the Industrial Revolution conception of the North–South divide in England: in this book the North is romantic and magical, rather than rational and concrete.

The narrative draws on various Romantic literary traditions, such as the comedy of manners, the Gothic tale, and the Byronic hero. The novel's language is a pastiche of 19th-century writing styles, such as those of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. Clarke describes the supernatural with careful detail. She supplements the text with almost 200 footnotes, outlining the backstory and an entire fictional corpus of magical scholarship.

I’m interested to see what today’s is. I loved reading this book.

burgerhicks80
04-29-2021, 05:09 AM
I have seen it described often as Historical Fantasy fiction... not long to find out now, but this is the wiki description..

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is the debut novel by British writer Susanna Clarke. Published in 2004, it is an alternative history set in 19th-century England around the time of the Napoleonic Wars. Its premise is that magic once existed in England and has returned with two men: Gilbert Norrell and Jonathan Strange. Centred on the relationship between these two men, the novel investigates the nature of "Englishness" and the boundaries between reason and unreason, Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Dane, and Northern and Southern English cultural tropes/stereotypes. It has been described as a fantasy novel, an alternative history, and a historical novel. It inverts the Industrial Revolution conception of the North–South divide in England: in this book the North is romantic and magical, rather than rational and concrete.

The narrative draws on various Romantic literary traditions, such as the comedy of manners, the Gothic tale, and the Byronic hero. The novel's language is a pastiche of 19th-century writing styles, such as those of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. Clarke describes the supernatural with careful detail. She supplements the text with almost 200 footnotes, outlining the backstory and an entire fictional corpus of magical scholarship.

I’m interested to see what today’s is. I loved reading this book.

When I see the term epic fantasy It conjures up thoughts of lord of the rings or game of thrones. JS&MN is often described as genre defying which I feel fits the bill for the first June title rather than todays. But as you say we'll find out very soon!:lol1:

St. Troy
04-29-2021, 05:17 AM
I suppose it could be one of the other many names in fantasy (Brandon Sanderson is one), although I don't know who has a thousand pager.

shaq
04-29-2021, 05:38 AM
Here’s a fantasy,

It is Jonathon Strange, with Charles Vess on art, and Rich Tong of Lyra fame on board printing and binding etc....

All wrapped in a neat Suntup glow!

One can only dream of such a collaboration.

webstar1000
04-29-2021, 06:25 AM
Here’s a fantasy,

It is Jonathon Strange, with Charles Vess on art, and Rich Tong of Lyra fame on board printing and binding etc....

I WOULD FREAKIN DIE FOR A RICH BOUND SUNTUP. He would just do it under the other company Ludlow Binders. But I am a HUGE fan of his work...

webstar1000
04-29-2021, 06:25 AM
Here’s a fantasy,

I WOULD FREAKIN DIE FOR A RICH BOUND SUNTUP. He would just do it under the other company Ludlow Binders. But I am a HUGE fan of his work...

EVEN more so.. A Dragon Rebound!

OldCrow88
04-29-2021, 07:38 AM
Here’s a fantasy,

EVEN more so.. A Dragon Rebound!

Don't tease me like that!

St. Troy
04-29-2021, 08:02 AM
Definitely of interest, but $195 is high for me (given that I'm an "entry level" type of collector). I'm reading this now and not sure (although I'm liking it) that I need a deluxe of it. If I end up loving it, and if there are any left in 2 weeks or so when I finish it, perhaps. Until then...

herbertwest
04-29-2021, 08:04 AM
Imajica by Barker

St. Troy
04-29-2021, 08:06 AM
Forgive my temporary insanity: FOMO engaged and order placed (if the book goes on to disappoint - on a relative basis - I can always cancel). I love the colors...

St. Troy
04-29-2021, 08:12 AM
Kudos to JeremyM for nailing this:

I'm pretty sure Paul is referencing Oliver Byrne's 'Elements of Euclid', which was published in 1847. It's notable for having using colored graphical elements to illustrate the various geometric concepts.

MikeDuke
04-29-2021, 08:20 AM
Got the numbered. They all look great and the 2 volume lettered is special.

St. Troy
04-29-2021, 08:23 AM
I am curious about the Artist Edition's slipcase, which is described as "a color shifting paper covered slipcase with an acrylic coating." "Paper covered" makes me think I'm touching paper, but "acrylic coating" sounds like I'm touching acrylic and paper happens to be under it. Fine either way; I'm just having a hard time imagining what it would be like.

GenericEric
04-29-2021, 08:29 AM
I figured the AE would be in the $200 range considering the size and production value.

BrewMeister
04-29-2021, 08:31 AM
Forgive my temporary insanity: FOMO engaged and order placed (if the book goes on to disappoint - on a relative basis - I can always cancel). I love the colors...
Looks like a wise decision. I was curious on sales with the price point, but I purchased mine as soon as the site was up, and there were 730 or so copies available. I'm guessing copies reserved for other sellers may have accounted for perhaps 250 copies, so roughly 750 available for purchase. Thirty minutes in, 316 copies remaining. Not sure if it could be a one day sellout, but it may be close!

Lookwhoitis
04-29-2021, 08:45 AM
I am contemplating (due to financial need) the idea of selling my numbered copy of Imagica WITHOUT RIGHTS.

If anyone is looking to buy the book only, send me a pm and we can discuss.

BrewMeister
04-29-2021, 10:00 AM
Two hours in, 82 AE copies left!

MikeDuke
04-29-2021, 10:08 AM
Make that 72.

St. Troy
04-29-2021, 10:32 AM
Is 1,000 the highest Artist Edition limitation quantity Suntup has done (as I suspect)? That's pretty fast for that number of $200 books.

MikeDuke
04-29-2021, 10:44 AM
Yes he has done 1,000 before. Most recently, The Exorcist And there are only 10 now.

MikeDuke
04-29-2021, 10:46 AM
Make that 7. WOW.

St. Troy
04-29-2021, 10:49 AM
Yes he has done 1,000 before. Most recently, The Exorcist.

But nothing over 1,000?

BrewMeister
04-29-2021, 10:49 AM
Is 1,000 the highest Artist Edition limitation quantity Suntup has done (as I suspect)? That's pretty fast for that number of $200 books.

Misery had 1,250 copies, otherwise I believe 1,000 has been the highest for any other title. I also believe $195 makes this the highest priced AE to date.

Less than three hours in and only 3 copies left. I'm going to pop the cork and congratulate Paul and team for another same day sell out! :excited: :clap:

MikeDuke
04-29-2021, 10:51 AM
.....AND the AE is SOLD OUT.

St. Troy
04-29-2021, 10:52 AM
Gone. Whether, in the end, I end up keeping my order, I clearly made the right choice.

St. Troy
04-29-2021, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info MikeDuke and BrewMeister.

MikeDuke
04-29-2021, 10:56 AM
right, I forgot that there were 1,250 for the AE of Misery. But most have been 1,000. Except RB which was 500 and I think a few of the new ones are 750.

St. Troy
04-29-2021, 11:03 AM
how loud do you suppose the teeth-gnashing over at LibraryThing is going now?

frik
04-29-2021, 11:16 AM
Selling my numbered Imajica INCLUDING rights - $1475.
If interested, let me know.

sk

mattgreenbean
04-29-2021, 11:19 AM

Less than three hours in and only 3 copies left. I'm going to pop the cork and congratulate Paul and team for another same day sell out! :excited: :clap:

Congrats to Clive as well! People still love his stories, and the way he wrote them.

webstar1000
04-29-2021, 11:21 AM

Oh I cannot imagine

burgerhicks80
04-29-2021, 01:02 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Raenas
04-29-2021, 02:24 PM

I can answer this, as I am one of the commenters trying to argue against the nonsense there. Quite funny how OP arguments get more and more irrational once he starts to run out of defenses.

Anyhow, he defines high-end like this:
1) Oversize
2) Handmade / specially milled paper
3) Fancy typesetting

OP kindly ignored that some Suntup books have these characteristics. Naturally oversize is subjective preference, but obviously as any sneering trolls do he projects his personal views onto everything as they were the universal law of existence. And fancy typesetting just doesn't suit large majority of the modern novels Paul publishes anyway.

In any case I agreed with him on the fact that Paul in most cases doesn't go over the top, but for a very simple reason - cost. A $500 (or even $1000) Numbered edition of a novel (assuming 250+pages) cannot be made with these specifications that he regards high-end, not feasible in any way. And the Lettereds and Roman Numerals use the same format and typesetting due to efficiency.

I pointed out that a book that checks all boxes for his specifications is very expensive if it is an actual novel that Paul tends to publish, not a 20-page poetry book. For example, take the St James Park Press 1984 - https://www.stjamesparkpress.com/1984. Now, this costs $3,200 for pre-subscribers and $4,900 for everyone else, in a simple quarter-cloth binding with paper covered boards, not even the leather bound deluxe edition that has no price yet but I predict will be at least double considering all the extras. It would be beyond ridiculous to compare this to Paul's 1984 editions, it's quite more expensive to produce.

His response was that you can buy decades old second hand LEC's that have these production standards (in reality most don't, not even close) for a few hundred bucks, so Suntup is not worth it. When asked that how these old LEC's don't invalidate then other publishers he regards as true high-end fine press with even higher prices than Suntup (e.g. St James Park Press), he was unable to give any coherent response and just said he is free to buy what he wants. I left it at there.

Joe315
04-29-2021, 03:47 PM

I can answer this, as I am one of the commenters trying to argue against the nonsense there. Quite funny how OP arguments get more and more irrational once he starts to run out of defenses.

Anyhow, he defines high-end like this:
1) Oversize
2) Handmade / specially milled paper
3) Fancy typesetting

OP kindly ignored that some Suntup books have these characteristics. Naturally oversize is subjective preference, but obviously as any sneering trolls do he projects his personal views onto everything as they were the universal law of existence. And fancy typesetting just doesn't suit large majority of the modern novels Paul publishes anyway.

In any case I agreed with him on the fact that Paul in most cases doesn't go over the top, but for a very simple reason - cost. A $500 (or even $1000) Numbered edition of a novel (assuming 250+pages) cannot be made with these specifications that he regards high-end, not feasible in any way. And the Lettereds and Roman Numerals use the same format and typesetting due to efficiency.

I pointed out that a book that checks all boxes for his specifications is very expensive if it is an actual novel that Paul tends to publish, not a 20-page poetry book. For example, take the St James Park Press 1984 - https://www.stjamesparkpress.com/1984. Now, this costs $3,200 for pre-subscribers and $4,900 for everyone else, in a simple quarter-cloth binding with paper covered boards, not even the leather bound deluxe edition that has no price yet but I predict will be at least double considering all the extras. It would be beyond ridiculous to compare this to Paul's 1984 editions, it's quite more expensive to produce.

His response was that you can buy decades old second hand LEC's that have these production standards (in reality most don't, not even close) for a few hundred bucks, so Suntup is not worth it. When asked that how these old LEC's don't invalidate then other publishers he regards as true high-end fine press with even higher prices than Suntup (e.g. St James Park Press), he was unable to give any coherent response and just said he is free to buy what he wants. I left it at there.

Thank you. I saw your comments on LT as well. I feel like he also likes books as art, which is fine, but I imagine a lot of people also want a book they enjoy in a nice package. I’m certainly not tracking down fancy books just because the book is made out of fine materials. I’d like to enjoy the content of the book as well, which is art in and of itself.

It doesn’t seem that he is taking into account what it costs for the rights to publish the book and get the author/artist to sign in the first place. I can’t imagine getting Thomas Harris to sign 300ish copies of red dragon and sotl was cheap.

And comparing second hand prices on decades old books is illogical.

Additionally complaints about the art not being to ones taste is dumb. Art is subjective. I know I won’t like every artist Paul picks, that’s impossible.

swintek
04-29-2021, 06:42 PM
The Lettered edition of IMAJICA looks truly stunning!

Lookwhoitis
04-29-2021, 07:40 PM
I am contemplating (due to financial need) the idea of selling my numbered copy of Imagica WITHOUT RIGHTS.

offering my numbered Imajica at Cost:

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12394-The-Collectible-Clive-Barker&p=1239293&viewfull=1#post1239293

Ben Mears
04-30-2021, 03:55 AM
...likes books as art, which is fine, but I imagine a lot of people also want a book they enjoy in a nice package. I’m certainly not tracking down fancy books just because the book is made out of fine materials. I’d like to enjoy the content of the book as well, which is art in and of itself.

While I can appreciate the beauty and design of Paul's books along with those of other other fine press publishers the only aspect that motivates me to acquire a limited is the actual story. If I don't love the story, the window dressing won't change that fact. It's like acquiring a painting for the frame.

Cook
04-30-2021, 07:01 AM
I would like to trade a unopened/as new/mint HC trade edition of later for any of the following:

Suntup Artist ed or proof of 1984
Suntup Silence of the Lambs proof (woman on cover, not moth)

If interested please PM me.

RC65
04-30-2021, 09:13 AM
...likes books as art, which is fine, but I imagine a lot of people also want a book they enjoy in a nice package. I’m certainly not tracking down fancy books just because the book is made out of fine materials. I’d like to enjoy the content of the book as well, which is art in and of itself.

While I can appreciate the beauty and design of Paul's books along with those of other other fine press publishers the only aspect that motivates me to acquire a limited is the actual story. If I don't love the story, the window dressing won't change that fact. It's like acquiring a painting for the frame.

That's how I approach each purchase decision as well. My affinity for Barker’s work -- outside of BOOKS OF BLOOD, which I think is a seminal, important work -- has become progressively marginal. Not sure if I read IMAJICA Back in the Day or not when I was a bit of a fan, but regardless it’s just not the kind of book that interests me anymore. The production values on this new Suntup edition are impressive, but if it’s not either a book I love (e.g. I AM LEGEND, RED DRAGON, et al) and want a deluxe treatment on my shelf...or a book that sounds intriguing or, if a reprint of an older title, I want to finally read (e.g. WOLFEN and the Heinlein set)...then it’s not a book I need. Barker's book was neither, so it was a pass for me in this case.

Lookwhoitis
04-30-2021, 11:16 AM

offering my numbered Imajica at Cost:

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12394-The-Collectible-Clive-Barker&p=1239293&viewfull=1#post1239293

Update: this has been *SOLD*

BadHatHarry
04-30-2021, 01:06 PM
I had to go figure out what the LibraryThings talk was about. That's crazy talk. For complaints about the number limitations, these are signed books. I am sure some authors will sign thousands of signature pages, but my understanding is that most authors (and artists with enough pull) cap the number of signature pages they are willing to sign. So Suntup can't produce "enough books to satisfy demand." I am 100% sure that the authors eventually just say "no more, I am not signing 1250 signature pages."

As far as quality goes, I don't know what else anyone can want without quadrupling pricing (don't get ideas, Paul!). However, Paul's designs and production quality are second to none in terms of "mainstream small press publishers." Maybe Centipede and Charnel House are on the same level?

scottb
04-30-2021, 03:34 PM
I had to go figure out what the LibraryThings talk was about. That's crazy talk. For complaints about the number limitations, these are signed books. I am sure some authors will sign thousands of signature pages, but my understanding is that most authors (and artists with enough pull) cap the number of signature pages they are willing to sign. So Suntup can't produce "enough books to satisfy demand." I am 100% sure that the authors eventually just say "no more, I am not signing 1250 signature pages."

As far as quality goes, I don't know what else anyone can want without quadrupling pricing (don't get ideas, Paul!). However, Paul's designs and production quality are second to none in terms of "mainstream small press publishers." Maybe Centipede and Charnel House are on the same level?

No. Centipede Press is not on the same level of quality, overall. CP hasn't (to my knowledge) done any letterpress titles and the bindings, at least consistently, aren't at the level of Suntup Editions. CP does deliver consistently great value.

I do love Centipede Press and I'm a subscriber. Jerad does a great job of producing interesting titles in a wide variety of price points. Some of my favorite CP titles are very affordable classics or niche titles that I've never read before.

The interior designs of some of the titles and series (such as Elric) are fantastic and are better designed than the interiors of the numbered Suntup Editions in my opinion. Other CP titles and series have minimal design but provide a lot of content for a low price but the quality of production is not intended to be high. Other CP editions are a nice quality. My only gripe is that some of the productions are very large for my taste and I wish they were smaller.

Edit: comments reflect Suntup Numbered Editions to CP.

Cook
04-30-2021, 06:03 PM
Or.. make cash offer

I would like to trade a unopened/as new/mint HC trade edition of later for any of the following:

Suntup Artist ed or proof of 1984
Suntup Silence of the Lambs proof (woman on cover, not moth)

If interested please PM me.

Noxus35
05-01-2021, 07:25 AM
Finally ordered my numbered copy about 40 minutes ago, it will be interesting to see if this will get a lottery or perhaps might be the "first through the gate" method again. 😎

Brian861
05-01-2021, 07:40 AM
Finally ordered my numbered copy about 40 minutes ago, it will be interesting to see if this will get a lottery or perhaps might be the "first through the gate" method again. 😎

Looks like the numbered will be first come, first served. Lettered will be going to lottery.

Noxus35
05-01-2021, 07:57 AM

Looks like the numbered will be first come, first served. Lettered will be going to lottery.

Thought so, with 25 copies it just seems like the right thing to do.

Brian861
05-01-2021, 07:59 AM

Thought so, with 25 copies it just seems like the right thing to do.

That's the most in quite awhile.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-01-2021, 08:03 AM
They didn't last long!

MikeDuke
05-01-2021, 08:08 AM
Wow. Impressive. Very impressive.

St. Troy
05-02-2021, 10:57 AM
I've noticed that Suntup's Artist Edition listings tend to show the slipcase and dust jacketed book but not the jacketless book itself. This stands out to me because, while I appreciate dust jacket artwork, I'm personally much more interested in the cloth (or whatever the binding material happens to be). In the case of Imajica, I also wonder how the cloth binding goes with the orange dust jacket and the purple slipcase.

I also have to say, I'm wildly excited about Suntup producing an edition of one of Barker's works.

MikeDuke
05-02-2021, 03:57 PM
I would have loved to get the AE as well as the numbered, but it just was impossible with the other stuff I have going on. Congrats to those who were able to get it. I am very excited to the numbered in
person though.

Patrick
05-07-2021, 09:15 AM
Out of curiosity now that it’s coming to end, how many of us have the complete Covers Collection?

OldCrow88
05-07-2021, 09:19 AM
Out of curiosity now that it’s coming to end, how many of us have the complete Covers Collection?

(looks in mirror) This guy! Large size with remarques. Love seeing the monthly package arrive. I'm sad to see the run end, but I agree with Paul that it's a fun journey that has run its course.

Patrick
05-07-2021, 09:23 AM

(looks in mirror) This guy! Large size with remarques. Love seeing the monthly package arrive. I'm sad to see the run end, but I agree with Paul that it's a fun journey that has run its course.
Same, except I have the “small” prints, which are not small at all. I can’t imagine where I’d store all those large ones, but I bet they’re even more beautiful.

racerx45
05-07-2021, 09:41 AM

I do, also the small size.

Tommy
05-07-2021, 09:44 AM
I had a subscription and had to put it on pause a few times. Now that monthly shipments are done with and a few of the prints are sold out, meaning I probably won't get my number, should I continue ordering them if the set is broken? Also, I missed the opportunity to get a Archival Folio box to store them. Again, all of this is my fault, have only myself to blame for not keeping up, I just want to know what you guys would do in my situation? I do love all the prints (I even had my The Shining print signed by Danny Lloyd) I have so far but I am behind quite a bit. I've already discussed this with Paul so I hope he doesn't mind me asking other collectors this question. If so, I apologize in advance, Paul, and will remove my post.

zelig
05-07-2021, 10:52 AM
I had a subscription and had to put it on pause a few times. Now that monthly shipments are done with and a few of the prints are sold out, meaning I probably won't get my number, should I continue ordering them if the set is broken? Also, I missed the opportunity to get a Archival Folio box to store them. Again, all of this is my fault, have only myself to blame for not keeping up, I just want to know what you guys would do in my situation? I do love all the prints (I even had my The Shining print signed by Danny Lloyd) I have so far but I am behind quite a bit. I've already discussed this with Paul so I hope he doesn't mind me asking other collectors this question. If so, I apologize in advance, Paul, and will remove my post.

All good Tommy.

amd013
05-07-2021, 11:44 AM
I have all the US covers, and a few of the first UK covers. Paul was nice enough to update his subscription to allow me to only receive US covers. I wonder if I was the only one who did that. All of mine are small. I might take advantage of the discount to get a large, maybe with the thought of framing it.

Hunchback Jack
05-07-2021, 01:13 PM

If you still have hopes of getting a matching set, I would buy non-matching numbers of any you dont have, to trade if you find the owner of your number. Then put the word out on the FB group.

Tommy
05-07-2021, 04:01 PM

If you still have hopes of getting a matching set, I would buy non-matching numbers of any you dont have, to trade if you find the owner of your number. Then put the word out on the FB group.

That's a good idea but I don't have FB.
The amount of time I can spend in front of the screen is diminishing. But I'll just ask here, anyone have a print that is number 22?
Also, does anyone happen to have an extra folio they are willing to part with? I have the small prints.

Tommy
05-07-2021, 04:10 PM

The amount of time I can spend in front of the screen is diminishing. But I'll just ask here, anyone have a print that is number 22?
Also, does anyone happen to have an extra folio they are willing to part with? I have the small prints.

And I just realized the problem with this scenario. The ones that are sold out, I have no way of trading with someone because I won't be able to get that print. Man, I really screwed myself.
As collectors, do you guys and gals ever get very depressed when things like this happen or do you just say "oh well"?

MLG
05-07-2021, 04:17 PM

And I just realized the problem with this scenario. The ones that are sold out, I have no way of trading with someone because I won't be able to get that print. Man, I really screwed myself.
As collectors, do you guys and gals ever get very depressed when things like this happen or do you just say "oh well"?

I am firmly in the "oh well" camp. When I mess up I accept that it was not the first time and will not be the last time I do something I regret. I then move on to make my next mistake.

Tommy
05-07-2021, 04:31 PM

I am firmly in the "oh well" camp. When I mess up I accept that it was not the first time and will not be the last time I do something I regret. I then move on to make my next mistake.

Yet again, I find myself wanting to be more like MLG. You're just to cool for words, M. :thumbsup:
Maybe one day I can learn to be more like that.

MLG
05-07-2021, 05:20 PM

Yet again, I find myself wanting to be more like MLG. You're just to cool for words, M. :thumbsup:

Careful what you wish for, it's not all kittens and candy bars over here. Just know that if I can help you in any way reach out!

Tommy
05-07-2021, 05:24 PM

Careful what you wish for, it's not all kittens and candy bars over here. Just know that if I can help you in any way reach out!

You da man!! :couple:

Spidergirl
05-07-2021, 08:00 PM

Same, except I have the “small” prints, which are not small at all. I can’t imagine where I’d store all those large ones, but I bet they’re even more beautiful.
I have the small prints as well. But Im missing The Shining paperback cover. It sold out before I started my subscription. BI wish I had that one but I love all the covers! I cant wait for the last one.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-08-2021, 05:49 AM
I have finally started reading BIBLIOMYSTERIES, and have finished the first two stories, to my great reading pleasure.

However, I have found THREE typos!

I forget the 1st one, but.......

on page 109, "...we will place it in trunk..." should be "...we will place it in a trunk..."

on page 114, 'library to himself at his time of day', should be 'library to himself at this time of day'

A missing 'a' and a missing 't' -- my gosh! I want my money back!

I am, of course, just kidding. This is one of the most wonderful books in my entire library and I am enjoying the heck out of it. I love the whole presentation of it. It is a joy to read.

RichardX
05-08-2021, 07:19 AM
I have all the US covers, and a few of the first UK covers. Paul was nice enough to update his subscription to allow me to only receive US covers. I wonder if I was the only one who did that. All of mine are small. I might take advantage of the discount to get a large, maybe with the thought of framing it.

I have all the small covers. The end comes as good news/bad news as I really like them but don't have any way to display them all. I framed a couple but haven't even unboxed the majority which are beginning to pile up to the ceiling.

Splync
05-09-2021, 09:21 AM

What do you have against those UK covers? ;-)

In all seriousness though, that's really cool of him!

Ari_Racing
05-09-2021, 09:33 AM
I have the large covers (I had a suscription until December 2019 when I got fired from my job and had to suspend it) and I also skipped the UK ones and most of the paperbacks with the exception of Don Brautigan's ones. It's not that I don't like the others, it's just that I have to draw the line somewhere.

This last week when Paul announced it was coming to an end I spent money I didn't plan to but bought the Firestarter Whelan + the Glen Orbik set. I'm still missing a couple of the hardcover US covers (Four past midnight, Dolores Claiborne, Gerald's Game, Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers) and four paperbacks from Don Brautigan that well....these will be low prio for me at this stage: Skeleron Crew, The Running Man, The Dark Half and The Bachman Books.

I'll buy the new one for sure, even more if it turns out to be the one I imagine.

webstar1000
05-11-2021, 11:15 AM
Anyone sell their Nuromancer letter? I have a chance to trade for a whelan... you all know me! Lol

BrewMeister
05-11-2021, 01:28 PM
So, this is mainly curiosity, but has anyone else noticed that Imajica doesn't appear on the Suntup homepage? I was showing the site to my sister this weekend, and I was surprised that the featured and first edition shown is The Island Of Doctor Moreau. I know Paul and team are swamped; maybe they just haven't had time to update it?

Patrick
05-11-2021, 10:59 PM
So, this is mainly curiosity, but has anyone else noticed that Imajica doesn't appear on the Suntup homepage? I was showing the site to my sister this weekend, and I was surprised that the featured and first edition shown is The Island Of Doctor Moreau. I know Paul and team are swamped; maybe they just haven't had time to update it?
I see IMAJICA on the Suntup homepage. Was it missing for a while?

MOREAU is the headliner most likely because it still has copies available, whereas IMAJICA is sold out.

herbertwest
05-11-2021, 11:40 PM
At the moment, it's still/back on Moreau

OldCrow88
05-12-2021, 02:35 AM
I see IMAJICA on the Suntup homepage. Was it missing for a while?

MOREAU is the headliner most likely because it still has copies available, whereas IMAJICA is sold out.

Agree. Moreau is the banner yet Imajica is amongst the thumbnails. You can reach the product page with all the juicy pics via the thumbnail.
Total side-note that I love the design and artwork for Moreau. I was never an HG Wells guy until Paul came along. Every time I walk past one of the earlier trilogy I just want to pick one off the shelf and start reading it.

BrewMeister
05-12-2021, 05:33 AM
Yes, The Island Of Doctor Moreau has been the banner picture for a while. As stated, most likely because AE copies of it are still available.

The first thumbnail was The Island Of Doctor Moreau as well; no Imajica.

Unless, of course, if I'm losing it, which is always a possibility! I do see the Imajica thumbnail now... :unsure:

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-12-2021, 05:58 AM
Nah, you're loosing it, just give up, I did a long time ago.

Tommy
05-12-2021, 02:39 PM
PLEASE, everyone give Paul some POS REP for being very patient and generous. Thank you, Paul!

BrewMeister
05-12-2021, 04:36 PM
PLEASE, everyone give Paul some POS REP for being very patient and generous. Thank you, Paul!
No doubt. It blew me away when he said he's working 6 1/2 days a week; only taking some time off on Sunday afternoons! That has to be exhausting, no matter how much he loves his work.

Thank you very much for all you do Paul!

kingfan2323
05-12-2021, 10:49 PM
No doubt. It blew me away when he said he's working 6 1/2 days a week; only taking some time off on Sunday afternoons! That has to be exhausting, no matter how much he loves his work.

Thank you very much for all you do Paul!Great customer service. Sticks to timeliness. Communication is great. Great product.

Hunchback Jack
05-12-2021, 10:56 PM
I’m rereading Nineteen Eighty-Four, and like every previous time I’ve read it - only a handful of times over the past 30 years or so - it’s even better than I remember. Orwell had such a clear, complex, uncompromising vision of his dystopia. So horrible yet so familiar.

For those that haven’t seen it, I’d recommend the 1984 film adaptation, starring John Hurt ... AFTER reading the novel. It’s excellent - almost perfect.

HBJ

T-Dogz_AK47
05-12-2021, 11:51 PM
Yes, The Island Of Doctor Moreau has been the banner picture for a while. As stated, most likely because AE copies of it are still available.

The first thumbnail was The Island Of Doctor Moreau as well; no Imajica.

Unless, of course, if I'm losing it, which is always a possibility! I do see the Imajica thumbnail now... :unsure:

Maybe I'm slightly biased, but I'm rather fond of The Island of Doctor Moreau banner picture. :cool:

herbertwest
05-13-2021, 03:06 AM
Let's not forget that this is the last day I reckon for the 20% discount at the Cover Collections !
Use the code : TCC20

=> https://shop.suntup.press/collections/the-covers-collection-individual-prints

Dave1442397
05-13-2021, 04:53 AM
Let's not forget that this is the last day I reckon for the 20% discount at the Cover Collections !
Use the code : TCC20

=> https://shop.suntup.press/collections/the-covers-collection-individual-prints

Thanks for the reminder! I decided to go for two of my favorites - The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands, and Four Past Midnight.

I had bought The Stand a while back, so now I need to get all three prints framed. All three have similar color palettes, so I'll try to get complementary matching frames.

GenericEric
05-13-2021, 03:50 PM
I know there's been a ton of editions done for Edgar Allan Poe's complete works, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Suntup edition of his work.

St. Troy
05-13-2021, 04:43 PM
I know there's been a ton of editions done for Edgar Allan Poe's complete works, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Suntup edition of his work.

Hell yes (not to mention Lovecraft, or the great women writers of the 19th century, or...).

amd013
05-14-2021, 10:21 AM
Was a little confused when I got an email title "Oskar's Cube Shipping - have you moved" since I didn't order any of the LTROI books.

Looks like it is actually for Exorcist Artist. - YAY! First Suntup book in awhile since I jumped off the train.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-14-2021, 11:58 AM
Just don't forget to tuck and roll on impact.

Tommy
05-15-2021, 07:07 PM
WOW, those last prints sold out fast! Congrats Paul!

BrewMeister
05-17-2021, 06:31 AM
I keep all the boxes from Suntup, and my current storage has just about hit the saturation point. My next step will be to relocate the AE boxes to the garage attic, and keep the numbered boxes inside as long as space permits.

As part of this process, I've been going through the AE boxes and removing any bookmarks. Per a suggestion on the Fans of Suntup Facebook page, I'm keeping them in the book, between the inner dust jacket flap and the dust jacket protector.

I wanted to check to see if what I found on bookmarks is correct. All AEs, that have shipped so far, came with one bookmark. The exceptions are Red Dragon and Fahrenheit 451, which came with two bookmarks, and Misery, which did not include a bookmark. Is that correct?

ajw2910
05-17-2021, 11:45 AM
What was the guess for this weeks release? You folks all seem to be right on with your guesses to this point! So, who will it be this month?

Joe315
05-17-2021, 11:51 AM
Since all copies will be signed by the author (including artist) I think people were thinking Joe Hill.

BrewMeister
05-17-2021, 12:41 PM
Since all copies will be signed by the author (including artist) I think people were thinking Joe Hill.

I'd love another Joe Hill book, even if it only contains one new novella, but would he illustrate it as well? I know he's done a lot of graphic novels, but I thought he writes/co-writes those and they are illustrated by someone else?

He's written four collections, if you count A Little Silver Book of Sharp Shiny Slivers, and all four have been done in limited editions. Do you think he would pull stories from these for a new collection? Or does he have three novellas that have been published individually?

GenericEric
05-17-2021, 02:07 PM
I'm still sticking with Kealan Patrick Burke. I know he's not a huge name like a lot of Suntup releases, but I'd be happy with that choice.

ajw2910
05-17-2021, 02:45 PM
I would be happy with either one, but KPB getting Suntup treatment would be really nice. I’ve been a fan of his for a long time and I don’t think he gets the notice that others get.

Cook
05-17-2021, 05:33 PM
I'm still sticking with Kealan Patrick Burke. I know he's not a huge name like a lot of Suntup releases, but I'd be happy with that choice.

Who's Kealan Patrick Burke?
I've never heard of him. Does he have a standout title I should read first?
Thanks

MLG
05-17-2021, 05:40 PM

Thanks

Kin is a classic horror story.

Tommy
05-17-2021, 07:58 PM

Thanks

I knew the mention of KPB would bring a response from you MLG, ha! Yeah, Kin is amazing, I love KPB and if you don't follow him on Twitter, he is hilarious and has helped me through many days of this pandemic.

He is also a very good graphic designer that has designed many of his own trade covers along with some other author's covers as well.

MLG
05-17-2021, 08:05 PM

Thanks

I knew the mention of KPB would bring a response from you MLG, ha! Yeah, Kin is amazing, I love KPB and if you don't follow him on Twitter, he is hilarious and has helped me through many days of this pandemic.

I do love Mr. Burkes story telling. His collection The Number 121 to Pennsylvania has some amazing short stories as well. I do follow him on Twitter and have even stumbled on an Instagram Live he was doing one night.

I would love a Suntup release of some of his work. With that said, I do not expect it this week. He has put so much into the completion of his next novel I do not expect he has an unpublished novel available at this point. Would be happy to be wrong though.

Tommy
05-17-2021, 08:08 PM

Thanks

I do love Mr. Burkes story telling. His collection The Number 121 to Pennsylvania has some amazing short stories as well. I do follow him on Twitter and have even stumbled on an Instagram Live he was doing one night.

I would love a Suntup release of some of his work. With that said, I do not expect it this week. He has put so much into the completion of his next novel I do not expect he has an unpublished novel available at this point. Would be happy to be wrong though.

Yeah, I could be wrong but I really don't think it's him either. I hope one day it happens though, a Turtle Boy One Volume Edition? That would be sweet!

MLG
05-17-2021, 08:34 PM

Thanks

Yeah, I could be wrong but I really don't think it's him either. I hope one day it happens though, a Turtle Boy One Volume Edition? That would be sweet!

Thunderstorm already did that. They published "Stage Whispers The Collected Timmy Quinn" as part of their Black Voltage series.

Tommy
05-17-2021, 08:50 PM

Thanks

Thunderstorm already did that. They published "Stage Whispers The Collected Timmy Quinn" as part of their Black Voltage series.

Yeah, got that one but CD had already done Kin and I was just spitballing ideas.

SubPress had already done TSotL so I'm thinking anything is possible.

Should also mention I'm on a lot of pain meds right now plus antibiotics, going tomorrow for possible dental surgery or at least a consultation if they can't get it numbed enough. So anything I say right now probably won't make much sense. Though most might say it never makes sense in the first place but I digress.

RichardX
05-18-2021, 04:36 AM
My Suntup wish list is:

"The Man Who Fell to Earth" - Walter Trevis

"Under the Skin" - Michel Faber

"1Q84" - Haruki Murakami

jeffingoff
05-18-2021, 07:59 AM

Thanks

KPB is a fantastic author. I loved KIN and his short stories in We Live Inside Your Eyes are amazing. Even his short chapbook Distinguishing Features is a great read. His stuff reminds me of Barker but more lonely and surreal.

Tommy
05-18-2021, 08:11 AM
Jack & Jill traumatized me, loved it!

GenericEric
05-18-2021, 09:08 AM
https://shop.suntup.press/collections/in-print-editions/products/imajica-by-clive-barker-numbered-edition

Edit: And sold.

There's one numbered available that just popped up for sale. Someone must have canceled their order I guess. Anyone who wants it with rights better act fast. I'm sure it won't last long.

MLG
05-18-2021, 09:12 AM

Thanks

KPB is a fantastic author. I loved KIN and his short stories in We Live Inside Your Eyes are amazing. Even his short chapbook Distinguishing Features is a great read. His stuff reminds me of Barker but more lonely and surreal.

I am not familiar with Barkers story telling but I completely agree with the "Lonely and Surreal" comment.

burgerhicks80
05-18-2021, 09:13 AM

Does he also illustrate? I think the overall consensus is that the author is also the artist. This one is still very much a mystery to me. :confused:

MLG
05-18-2021, 09:17 AM
Jack & Jill traumatized me, loved it!

That was a fun read! I also discount Mr. Burke from this weeks announcement because Thunderstorm released a four story collection called The Novellas also. I am expecting this weeks announcement to not be from any of the authors I have seen mentioned so far.

CyberGhostface
05-18-2021, 10:15 AM

Does he also illustrate? I think the overall consensus is that the author is also the artist. This one is still very much a mystery to me. :confused:

He does.

https://www.elderlemondesign.net/interior-illustrations

webstar1000
05-18-2021, 10:24 AM

He does.

Holy cow he is good. Real good.

burgerhicks80
05-18-2021, 10:38 AM

He does.

Yes. And I just confirmed with Kealan himself that the art is his work. There was some confusion on the website for me as he does not list himself as an artist in his bio. but he did confirm that he did all the art on the site and the cover designs are his as well.

ajw2910
05-18-2021, 10:57 AM
Awesome work. The guy can write fantastically and draw like that...... and yet some folks still don’t know him. Crazy. He needs more recognition for sure.

St. Troy
05-18-2021, 11:25 AM
All this raving about KPB (who I've never read but have probably seen mentioned here before) prodded me to check out the synopsis and sample of The House on Abigail Lane on Amazon - I'm in! (I will get this).

jonster monster
05-18-2021, 11:45 AM
Hello friends - I am rethinking my book collection and am looking to sell several of my Suntup editions. DM me with any questions or photo requests - all books are unread & as new.

**In Hand, Ready to Ship**

Red Dragon AE - $325

Let the Right One In AE -$175

Misery AE - $525

A Scanner Darkly AE - $225

The Road Numbered - $1850

Rosemary's Baby Numbered - $850

Silence of the Lambs gift ARC - $150

**Ships upon arrival**

The Exorcist AE - $275

The Wolfen Numbered - $425

The Wolfen AE - $150

kingfan2323
05-18-2021, 12:47 PM
Huge price cut!
RIGHTS!

FOR SALE:
SUNTUP NUMBERED:

Imajica $700!!!! (Ask about possible rights for no additional charge) PM ME
Let the Right One In- $700 (sold)
The Wolfen w/matching Art Portfolio- $600

All #183 in original box and all extras
p.p. f.f. shipping to U.S. onlyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210518/52019bbb252ffc50cf9f29eefa983781.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210518/1fc0a596f76ed276fdad1d7ff9113abf.jpg

amd013
05-18-2021, 03:10 PM
Paul, now that the covers collection is complete (once the last ships), was there a reason you did the first two of the Hodges trilogy, but not End of Watch? Was it a licensing issue?

zelig
05-18-2021, 05:38 PM
Paul, now that the covers collection is complete (once the last ships), was there a reason you did the first two of the Hodges trilogy, but not End of Watch? Was it a licensing issue?

Something like that yes. I don’t recall the details now, but that cover wasn’t done by the same artist. I just can’t recall the details.

The biggest let down for me was Cayea’s The Stand. I tried really hard to get that licensed but he didn’t want to do it. Had to respect his wishes.

I feel that I got every one that could be got and some just weren’t meant to be.

It was a great run, and I had an opportunity to meet some of the artists in the early days which was a lot of fun. Giusti, Stroud, Gervais, Wood, Fennimore. And of course Palladini. I got to see several of the Brautigam originals in person.

burgerhicks80
05-19-2021, 09:50 AM
2nd June title has changed. Will you give us a new clue now Paul?

ajw2910
05-19-2021, 10:01 AM
Where did you see that?

daniel_pyle
05-19-2021, 10:11 AM
Paul mentioned it in the Facebook Live video today.

burgerhicks80
05-19-2021, 10:13 AM
Where did you see that?

Paul's Facebook live video

GenericEric
05-19-2021, 10:44 AM
He mentioned the 2nd June title wasn't as far along in production as he hoped so the announcement for that title is being pushed back and replaced with a different book.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-19-2021, 12:07 PM
I'm still waiting for the William Shatner book.....

simmer...simmer...simmer...

St. Troy
05-19-2021, 12:11 PM
Should someone post a link to this video over on LibraryThing, given how much detail Paul provided on how and why he does what he does? Or will that only intensify the cries of "gimmick! gimmick!"?

jeffingoff
05-19-2021, 12:28 PM
Should someone post a link to this video over on LibraryThing, given how much detail Paul provided on how and why he does what he does? Or will that only intensify the cries of "gimmick! gimmick!"?

It’s amazing how convinced people are of their reasons to hold grudges. And how nearly impossible it is for someone who isn’t them to convince them that those grudges are pointless. You’ll either be met with cricket song or full throated outrage. They will insist that Suntup should print on demand like Folio Society and the only reason Paul doesn’t is greed. To continually compare Suntup to FS is laughable.

ajw2910
05-19-2021, 02:01 PM
Where did you see that?

Thanks. I’m not on Facebook so don’t see those.

scottb
05-19-2021, 02:15 PM
With Folio Society teasing a Dark Tower release, is there any chance we ever see a Suntup version or is that a pipe dream?

FS has done some great limited and deluxe editions. Beowulf, for instance punches well above it's weight class. The Book of the New Sun limited edition is great and a solid value. The Lovecraft limited they did a few years back is fantastic. Their Stephen King editions solid but uninspiring.

amd013
05-19-2021, 02:34 PM
Where did you see that?

Thanks. I’m not on Facebook so don’t see those.

Neither am I, but was still able to watch it (first 40 minutes live, then rest after back from lunch). I think there a stream of comments that you can't see if you aren't logged in. (I think this was just 1st or 2nd time I watched it live).

Paul, great you did the Q&A, hope you do this 1 or 2 times a year. Seems a lot of the questions are good candidates for your FAQ

burgerhicks80
05-19-2021, 03:59 PM
With Folio Society teasing a Dark Tower release, is there any chance we ever see a Suntup version or is that a pipe dream?

FS has done some great limited and deluxe editions. Beowulf, for instance punches well above it's weight class. The Book of the New Sun limited edition is great and a solid value. The Lovecraft limited they did a few years back is fantastic. Their Stephen King editions solid but uninspiring.

what was the tease?

Randall Flagg
05-19-2021, 04:06 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41kgDtS6t9L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

jeffingoff
05-19-2021, 04:46 PM
What a great FB live today. It needed to happen and Paul did an exceptional job answering the criticisms line by line. If you left that broadcast wondering where Paul stands then you need to rewatch or reconsider your bias.

Randall Flagg
05-19-2021, 05:01 PM
Link for replay?

jeffingoff
05-19-2021, 05:05 PM
Link for replay?

If you have a FB account this should work:

https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/videos/202519998380172/

scottb
05-19-2021, 05:24 PM

what was the tease?

https://www.librarything.com/topic/332182#n7510578

MikeDuke
05-19-2021, 05:25 PM
I agree Jeff. This was a great change of pace. I am really looking forward to the future but seeing how things work (how the sausage is made) was really cool as well.

Joe315
05-19-2021, 08:58 PM

what was the tease?

https://www.librarything.com/topic/332182#n7510578

Is this person for real?
I very much enjoyed The Dark Tower for the books I read in it (I-IV). I stopped at Wolves of the Calla, I got kind of turned off to it because the edition I got the font was the same as the Harry Potter books which I didn't like AT ALL.

Patrick
05-19-2021, 09:27 PM
I said it on the feed comments and I’ll say it again here. That was my favorite of all the livefeeds so far. I absolutely loved it. I find private production businesses fascinating and it’s a joy to listen to astute business owners discuss their passions. Hearing Paul address questions and clarify gossiped and misunderstood topics in a detailed but understandable manner was especially delightful. Well done today, Paul. Thank you.

zelig
05-19-2021, 10:24 PM
Thanks Patrick and others who watched and commented here and on the broadcast. I appreciate that. I enjoyed it!

Ben Mears
05-20-2021, 03:31 AM
Link for replay?

Replay won't be announced until June 3rd...:innocent:

St. Troy
05-20-2021, 03:52 AM
Very informative and interesting video; I’d gladly eat up more such videos.

Garrell
05-20-2021, 05:24 AM
REPLAY!!!! REPLAY!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

shaq
05-20-2021, 07:15 AM
Jeez I hope so. I think Paul avoided that beautiful story in his feed for a reason 🙏🙏🙏

Ari_Racing
05-20-2021, 07:25 AM
Thanks Patrick and others who watched and commented here and on the broadcast. I appreciate that. I enjoyed it!

It was a delight to watch it, Paul. Thanks for taking the time. :)

Joe315
05-20-2021, 08:00 AM
New book looks great. Love the artwork

amd013
05-20-2021, 08:07 AM
Not my thing, but big congrats on getting an exclusive story!!

CyberGhostface
05-20-2021, 08:14 AM
I've only read 'Kin' by the author but I liked that a lot so I'll be keeping this one.

Garrell
05-20-2021, 08:21 AM
Excited for this one.

OldCrow88
05-20-2021, 08:44 AM
Paul knocked it out of the park with this one. 'Course I said that with Moreau, and Silence, and Neuromancer, and F451, and Horns, and...

He's hitting so many home runs he needs an MLB moniker, a la Hammering Hank. Maybe henceforth Pummeling Paul Suntup?

BrewMeister
05-20-2021, 09:02 AM
Paul knocked it out of the park with this one. 'Course I said that with Moreau, and Silence, and Neuromancer, and F451, and Horns, and...

He's hitting so many home runs he needs an MLB moniker, a la Hammering Hank. Maybe henceforth Pummeling Paul Suntup?

"Pounding Paul"?

EDIT: Or based on his avatar, maybe, simply, The "Bat" Man?

ajw2910
05-20-2021, 09:06 AM
Very excited to see this! Looks to be a beautiful book. Glad that KPB is getting the Suntup treatment.

BrewMeister
05-20-2021, 09:09 AM

Kudos! :clap:

GenericEric
05-20-2021, 09:37 AM
Another announcement from the facebook live video yesterday that some might have missed.

Paul confirmed we will be getting a third Suntup release of Ania Ahlborn at some point!

daniel_pyle
05-20-2021, 09:46 AM
Another announcement from the facebook live video yesterday that some might have missed.

Paul confirmed we well be getting a third Suntup release of Ania Ahlborn at some point!

That was the most exciting part of the whole thing for me!

Garrell
05-20-2021, 10:12 AM
Wow, best part!!!!!!

MikeDuke
05-20-2021, 10:21 AM
You guys are going to make me watch the entire video again, not that it's a bad thing.

OldCrow88
05-20-2021, 10:50 AM

"Pounding Paul"?

EDIT: Or based on his avatar, maybe, simply, The "Bat" Man?

The Bat Man. Nice!

Splync
05-20-2021, 11:42 AM

Paul confirmed we will be getting a third Suntup release of Ania Ahlborn at some point!

Ooh, that's great!

I need to watch the rest of the video. I usually watch the Facebook live videos during a break at work. But yesterday's video exceeded my break time, haha!

Very excited for the Burke collection, by the way! Picked up my numbered and AE.

jeffingoff
05-21-2021, 08:05 AM
So I need to vent a little. Just a little.

Paul does a Q&A with the invitation to ASK ANYTHING. And when he goes live he frontloads all the hardest, most negative questions first. He doesn't censor the questions, instead reading them to us. He didn't name names or shame anyone. He simply pointed out how some opinions are uninformed yet stated as fact. The chatter had to be addressed. A lot of the negativity seemed to be lifted directly from the Library Thing thread. But go to that thread now and see how they've responded to Paul's responses and it's childish. To save you the trouble here are their stances:

Why did Paul bother responding to our questions? He sounded defensive.
Paul should have just said a few words and moved on.
The books aren't worth the money, they can hardly be considered fine press, the authors Suntup selects are largely unworthy. Why can't I buy the ones I want?
We're really just concerned for people buying things they can't afford. Like a group of elitist snob superheroes here to save the sheep from the slaughter.
The admins of the Suntup FB page are fomenting a cult where no negativity is allowed. They should not be so happy!
Paul states that he can't control the secondary, but he has low limitations! Never mind all the other presses with low limitations! He's a Svengali!!!!
We're all a bunch of asshats. Your mileage may vary.

As one of the two admins of the FB group the only negativity we don't allow is harassment or abuse. You're fine to disagree with anything you don't like. You're free to not like an author or a release or a price or whatever the hell you don't like. Just don't ride someone's ass for not agreeing with you.

Anyway I stopped short of setting up an account on Library Thing to share more unfiltered thoughts with these cultured swine. It's not worth it and this post isn't worth it.

webstar1000
05-21-2021, 09:29 AM
That just irritates me... BUT... maybe I should go there looking for the Misery S/L I have someone asking for... LOL Im sure since it is not worth the money they would surely sell if they have one? ALL JOKING ASIDE.... I am offering $7500 CASH for anyone with a misery they may sell... :) Thanks

jeffingoff
05-21-2021, 09:40 AM
That just irritates me... BUT... maybe I should go there looking for the Misery S/L I have someone asking for... LOL Im sure since it is not worth the money they would surely sell if they have one? ALL JOKING ASIDE.... I am offering $7500 CASH for anyone with a misery they may sell... :) Thanks

I’m sure if you post there, those fine fools would recommend that you lobby Paul to simply print another thousand numbered Editions of Misery and sell each copy for whatever the customer feels like paying until demand is satisfied. And then you can use that $7500 to pay off your student loan debt or cure cancer.

MLG
05-21-2021, 09:44 AM

Paul does a Q&A with the invitation to ASK ANYTHING. And when he goes live he frontloads all the hardest, most negative questions first. He doesn't censor the questions, instead reading them to us. He didn't name names or shame anyone. He simply pointed out how some opinions are uninformed yet stated as fact. The chatter had to be addressed. A lot of the negativity seemed to be lifted directly from the Library Thing thread. But go to that thread now and see how they've responded to Paul's responses and it's childish. To save you the trouble here are their stances:

The books aren't worth the money, they can hardly be considered fine press, the authors Suntup selects are largely unworthy. Why can't I buy the ones I want?
We're really just concerned for people buying things they can't afford. Like a group of elitist snob superheroes here to save the sheep from the slaughter.
The admins of the Suntup FB page are fomenting a cult where no negativity is allowed. They should not be so happy!
Paul states that he can't control the secondary, but he has low limitations! Never mind all the other presses with low limitations! He's a Svengali!!!!

As one of the two admins of the FB group the only negativity we don't allow is harassment or abuse. You're fine to disagree with anything you don't like. You're free to not like an author or a release or a price or whatever the hell you don't like. Just don't ride someone's ass for not agreeing with you.

Anyway I stopped short of setting up an account on Library Thing to share more unfiltered thoughts with these cultured swine. It's not worth it and this post isn't worth it.

I certainly hope that Paul's decision to respond to internet chatter was to inform people and not to appease those making uninformed complaints. Attempting to appease people whos opinion has no bases in fact will not be swayed by facts. Although I am not on Facebook and can't speak to those people, I will admit I am an asshat so they have at least somewhat of a point there.

jeffingoff
05-21-2021, 09:56 AM

I certainly hope that Paul's decision to respond to internet chatter was to inform people and not to appease those making uninformed complaints. Attempting to appease people whos opinion has no bases in fact will not be swayed by facts. Although I am not on Facebook and can't speak to those people, I will admit I am an asshat so they have at least somewhat of a point there.

You are no asshat!! You’re the furthest from asshattery out of all the forums! I don’t think Paul’s intention was to give the complaints legitimacy. Just some facts and perspective.

MLG
05-21-2021, 09:58 AM

You are no asshat!! You’re the furthest from asshattery out of all the forums! I don’t think Paul’s intention was to give the complaints legitimacy. Just some facts and perspective.

I may be respectful online but in person I can be an absolute asshat! I was not speaking of giving them legitimacy, I was speaking of attempting to change their views.

jeffingoff
05-21-2021, 10:15 AM

I may be respectful online but in person I can be an absolute asshat! I was not speaking of giving them legitimacy, I was speaking of attempting to change their views.

Ah yes, there’s no hope of changing minds. But it’s very telling with how they respond.

Patrick
05-21-2021, 10:20 AM
Paul was there to answer questions, educate, and correct misperceptions. Nothing about his discussion felt like appeasement in its negative connotation.

While you may be right about those with ill-intentions, people with good intentions can often be swayed with facts that inform their otherwise uninformed opinions.

Finally, you mention people on Facebook, but I think you meant people on LibraryThing which was the focus of Jeff’s well-deserved rant.

Hunchback Jack
05-21-2021, 10:22 AM
Regardless of the motivation, I’m glad Paul did the Q&A. It brought some subjects out into the open that benefitted from that discussion, in my opinion. And not just in library thing, where there seems to be a bunch of people looking for things to complain about and to accuse Paul of. Even in the fan Facebook group, there was an undercurrent of concern in response to the recent increase of announcements, and a few recent higher priced titles.

Paul said some things that needed to be said, and needed to be heard. And he was also forthcoming about what motivates him, how pricing is set, and lots of other details that many other publishers don’t talk about. I thought it was great, and very constructive.

Patrick
05-21-2021, 10:25 AM
Regardless of the motivation, I’m glad Paul did the Q&A. It brought some subjects out into the open that benefitted from that discussion, in my opinion. And not just in library thing, where there seems to be a bunch of people looking for things to complain about and to accuse Paul of. Even in the fan Facebook group, there was an undercurrent of concern in response to the recent increase of announcements, and a few recent higher priced titles.

Paul said some things that needed to be said, and needed to be heard. And he was also forthcoming about what motivates him, how pricing is set, and lots of other details that many other publishers don’t talk about. I thought it was great, and very constructive.
Well said. Thank you.

Splync
05-21-2021, 10:41 AM

Ah yes, there’s no hope of changing minds. But it’s very telling with how they respond.

"How they respond"? It's one guy on LibraryThing who had complaints about the Q&A (StumGuy). Sure, he commented multiple times, but it's still just him. There are actually more people in this thread who have complained about his response than there are people on LibraryThing complaining about the Q&A. It's best to just ignore them...

On the subject of the Q&A, I thought it was well done. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was his reading of the comment/question from the man who was disgruntled over the lottery for The Stand. That individual shouldn't have submitted such a mean-spirited question, but I don't think Paul was taking the higher ground by reading it live. That's one of those situations where it would have been best to just straight up ignore such an angry question, in my opinion.

jeffingoff
05-21-2021, 11:01 AM

"How they respond"? It's one guy on LibraryThing who had complaints about the Q&A (StumGuy). Sure, he commented multiple times, but it's still just him. There are actually more people in this thread who have complained about his response than there are people on LibraryThing complaining about the Q&A. It's best to just ignore them...

On the subject of the Q&A, I thought it was well done. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was his reading of the comment/question from the man who was disgruntled over the lottery for The Stand. That individual shouldn't have submitted such a mean-spirited question, but I don't think Paul was taking the higher ground by reading it live. That's one of those situations where it would have been best to just straight up ignore such an angry question, in my opinion.

Fair enough. Stumguy is chief asshat. But there are others who have dubbed themselves standard bearers of small press publishing. Astropi is one. The problem with identifying the posters is that I’m viewing the thread on my phone and the names don’t display clearly so I am reacting more to the posts and not considering that it’s a small number of posters.

OldCrow88
05-21-2021, 11:38 AM
Glad I've not paid a bit of attention to the LibraryThing world. I was and remain a fan of Paul Suntup. I believe everything he does as a small business owner is driven by his heart, which makes all the difference. Seriously, his driving force is seeing us hug the boxes when they arrive! I fussed a bit last week about his penchant for surprise but the simple fact is the vast majority of his surprises are wonderful. I mean, Michael Whelan closing out the Covers Collection, with remarques? Then turns around and releases Guests with fabulous details at a very reasonable price. I can't think of a single change that has ever been made in the course of producing any edition that hasn't been a bump UP. Never taking away a detail, always adding. Just to give us a hug.
I'd always considered myself more an Earl of Misbegotten Fuckery, but I suppose I'll also cop to being an asshat. Either way, I'm absolutely 100% a fan of Paul Suntup.

MikeDuke
05-21-2021, 12:29 PM
I found the Q&A very enlightening. Paul gave us an inside look on how he does things and why he does them that way. Paul has the right to run HIS business the way he sees fit. Did I make mistakes in the beginning, sure. They still bother me to this day. But you know what, they were my mistakes. I don't run a business so I can't comment on that, but I am sure this is not an easy thing to do. As to pricing, I just checked all the numbered books only (since I don't buy lettered and only a few AE).
This is what I found. Now Paul admitted that when he started he was learning and maybe did not have a good way to set pricing. Even though that first book was Misery, let's take the first two out of the equation. And let's just a price of $550 as a price where people may think the books are getting expensive. Here is what I found. Paul has put out 28 books that have numbered versions. 11 were above $550 and 17 were below $550. Now I am not got at math either (trust me, I was in L.D math all through high school. ) But even I know 11 is less than 17. I mean, really, how much do we want to pay for quality. Just because we want them, do we expect Paul to just give the books away?

Maybe this is a wasted post. I don't know. If you think that, the completely disregard. I am not here to come to the rescue of Paul. He doesn't need it.
(But I have my fire suit ready, just in case).

Hunchback Jack
05-21-2021, 12:31 PM
Well said.

And yes, Guests is VERY reasonably priced, given its length, quality of materials, and the number of illustrations included. Obviously the production details were decided on long ago, but it served as a well timed response to anyone concerned that the recent higher priced titles were a trend, rather than select individual releases with greater production values.

MLG
05-21-2021, 12:37 PM
Paul was there to answer questions, educate, and correct misperceptions. Nothing about his discussion felt like appeasement in its negative connotation.

While you may be right about those with ill-intentions, people with good intentions can often be swayed with facts that inform their otherwise uninformed opinions.

Finally, you mention people on Facebook, but I think you meant people on LibraryThing which was the focus of Jeff’s well-deserved rant.

My response was fully a tongue in cheek response to Jeffingoff (The Jeff Word's) note. My comment about changing minds is regarding the people who are going online explaining how all that Suntup is doing is wrong. I believe Paul's video was informative and educational for those interested in knowing the process. The people making those comments are not in that group. The responses Jeff mentioned from them are predictable to the point that f they did not respond like that I would be shocked. The Facebook mention was specific to what Jeff said they were saying about the 'Friends of Suntup' group. Other than what I read here I am not aware of what is happening on Library Thing or Facebook and I prefer it that way.

MLG
05-21-2021, 01:07 PM
Glad I've not paid a bit of attention to the LibraryThing world. I was and remain a fan of Paul Suntup. I believe everything he does as a small business owner is driven by his heart, which makes all the difference. Seriously, his driving force is seeing us hug the boxes when they arrive! I fussed a bit last week about his penchant for surprise but the simple fact is the vast majority of his surprises are wonderful. I mean, Michael Whelan closing out the Covers Collection, with remarques? Then turns around and releases Guests with fabulous details at a very reasonable price. I can't think of a single change that has ever been made in the course of producing any edition that hasn't been a bump UP. Never taking away a detail, always adding. Just to give us a hug.
I'd always considered myself more an Earl of Misbegotten Fuckery, but I suppose I'll also cop to being an asshat. Either way, I'm absolutely 100% a fan of Paul Suntup.

Completely agree.

MLG
05-21-2021, 01:08 PM
I found the Q&A very enlightening. Paul gave us an inside look on how he does things and why he does them that way. Paul has the right to run HIS business the way he sees fit. Did I make mistakes in the beginning, sure. They still bother me to this day. But you know what, they were my mistakes. I don't run a business so I can't comment on that, but I am sure this is not an easy thing to do. As to pricing, I just checked all the numbered books only (since I don't buy lettered and only a few AE).
This is what I found. Now Paul admitted that when he started he was learning and maybe did not have a good way to set pricing. Even though that first book was Misery, let's take the first two out of the equation. And let's just a price of $550 as a price where people may think the books are getting expensive. Here is what I found. Paul has put out 28 books that have numbered versions. 11 were above $550 and 17 were below $550. Now I am not got at math either (trust me, I was in L.D math all through high school. ) But even I know 11 is less than 17. I mean, really, how much do we want to pay for quality. Just because we want them, do we expect Paul to just give the books away?

Maybe this is a wasted post. I don't know. If you think that, the completely disregard. I am not here to come to the rescue of Paul. He doesn't need it.
(But I have my fire suit ready, just in case).

Not a wasted post. Although I do not expect Paul to give away books I can honestly say that I have two books on my shelves that he gave me and I know many other people have books he has gifted them!

ajw2910
05-21-2021, 02:23 PM
This makes me glad that I shun social media for the most part and just buy the damn book if I choose to when the email arrives. If I don’t have the money, I don’t buy it. If I can afford it, it’s ordered. No bitching about price points and limitations, etc. What’s the point? Paul puts out a superior product. He chooses what materials and the number of copies. If they don’t like it, then they just need to step off. Are there books I have missed lately? Sure. And I’m sure it will happen more and more as the number of collectors increases. Sure it would be nice for there only to be 350 of us collecting so we all got what we wanted, but that ain’t gonna happen. Suck it up and deal with it. And just to be clear, this rant is completely meant for the asshats at Librarything.

webstar1000
05-21-2021, 02:43 PM
The response to the new book is amazing. Only one or two resold. Barker didn’t do as well with tons being sold. But damm... this was a well received book!! Well done Paul!

T-Dogz_AK47
05-21-2021, 02:48 PM
Fair enough. Stumguy is chief asshat. But there are others who have dubbed themselves standard bearers of small press publishing. Astropi is one. The problem with identifying the posters is that I’m viewing the thread on my phone and the names don’t display clearly so I am reacting more to the posts and not considering that it’s a small number of posters.

To those on LibraryThing who are posting disparaging remarks about Paul's business model...

Suntup books are an acquired taste. If you don't like them, acquire some taste.