PDA

View Full Version : Suntup Editions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

zelig
08-14-2020, 12:46 PM
Thanks, yes it’s always good to know the authors or the Estates are pleased with the results.

Paul, does your numbering system for books include the copies dedicated for the authors? Or are those separately numbered or marked somehow? How many personal copies do the authors get?

The way I designate contributor copies is with a “PC”. That would be for authors, artists, agents, publishers, etc., etc. These are produced in addition to the 250 run for public sale. As to how many copies an author receives, it can vary from book to book.

So the copies “reserved for private distribution” for Misery was a one-off? Just curious about the behind-the-scenes magic.

I think I did this with Horns as well. I can't recall now which books, but the first one or two yes. After that I changed it to how I described above.

HorrorfanTom
08-14-2020, 01:09 PM
Jason Mowry brought this to next level. What a fabulous choice Paul. I really hope you can work with him again in the future. Sheer beauty these books.

I agree! Especially if there are to be more Harris books

Noxus35
08-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Jason Mowry brought this to next level. What a fabulous choice Paul. I really hope you can work with him again in the future. Sheer beauty these books.

I agree! Especially if there are to be more Harris books

Agreed! Love his artistic style, great choice . I would love to see another Mowry/Suntup collaboration in the future. 😎

jeffingoff
08-14-2020, 02:02 PM
Just amazing, Paul and Becca! I am blown away. This is the most incredible set in my collection. Wow. I can’t keep my eyes off of them. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200814/8e7f20a1117381048939e5ff71d509e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firemonkey66
08-14-2020, 02:12 PM
I'm aware of your order as well. Turns out about around 10 orders did not get fulfilled. The software tagged them incorrectly, so they didn't show up when I was cutting labels. They will go out early next week. Sorry about that.

No worries at all, thank you, Paul!

GenericEric
08-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Just amazing, Paul and Becca! I am blown away. This is the most incredible set in my collection. Wow. I can’t keep my eyes off of them. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200814/8e7f20a1117381048939e5ff71d509e4.jpg

Always love the Suntup unboxings

CyberGhostface
08-14-2020, 02:59 PM
Just got my order. The numbered is the most I've ever spent on a single book but 'Red Dragon' is one of my favorite books and I figured I won't be getting an opportunity like this again.

https://abload.de/img/img-26769xkez.jpg

https://abload.de/img/img-2685d7j6t.jpg

zachip
08-14-2020, 03:54 PM
Someone has a spare red dragon gift?
I've mistakenly cancel order from dark regions thinking I ordered from suntup which I didn't. Bummer.

MikeDuke
08-14-2020, 03:56 PM
I can't stop turning and looking at the spine of these books. Is that wrong? They are wonderful.
I know Jeff posted some pics (probably a vid on YouTube). But here are some of my pics.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200813_151753_1597413318_16499.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200813_151557_1597413209_55031.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200813_151611_1597413264_59268.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200813_150413_1597412900_51465.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/20200813_150328_1597416357_10043.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200813_150345_1597416429_51882.jpg
Just an incredible design for both versions.

MikeDuke
08-14-2020, 04:12 PM
Just got my order. The numbered is the most I've ever spent on a single book but 'Red Dragon' is one of my favorite books and I figured I won't be getting an opportunity like this again.

https://abload.de/img/img-26769xkez.jpg

https://abload.de/img/img-2685d7j6t.jpg
Way to go. Glad you got one.

George at C-Springs
08-14-2020, 04:20 PM
Gorgeous as always Paul ... thank you! (I already need another folio box)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200814_181413.png

CyberGhostface
08-14-2020, 04:29 PM
I noticed I got some fingerprints on the AGE jacket. Is it safe to leave alone?

RichardX
08-14-2020, 04:40 PM
I received my artist and numbered Red Dragons on my birthday! Hard to top that. They are magnificent. Paul is the most organized man in the book publishing world. In fact, he is the only one. I got a kick out of the little insert that said the package contained two books. Imagine throwing the box away and realizing later it had another RD? Fantastic.

Randall Flagg
08-14-2020, 04:42 PM
I noticed I got some fingerprints on the AGE jacket. Is it safe to leave alone?
No. Keep it with you at all times. Treat it like an infant and never leave it unattended.

Splync
08-15-2020, 06:27 PM
Not only is this Paul's best production (I cannot speak for Misery), but this was perhaps Jeff's best unboxing as well!

It occurred to me while watching it though that my box didn't come with the Double Decker card. Is it possible to request one of those when the AGE bookmarks get sent out? It's such a minor card, but it'll make the box feel more special when I store it away.

Aremag
08-16-2020, 05:01 AM
My two editions are stuck in the Anaheim distribution center black hole...never to escape.

webstar1000
08-16-2020, 05:28 AM
I received my artist and numbered Red Dragons on my birthday! Hard to top that. They are magnificent. Paul is the most organized man in the book publishing world. In fact, he is the only one. I got a kick out of the little insert that said the package contained two books. Imagine throwing the box away and realizing later it had another RD? Fantastic.

Not sure if you ever heard the story.. but I was in touch with Rick Berry back when Misery came out. Long story short... he complained to me that Paul owed him a book still. I informed him of the two book box when you get a number/letter. He threw the box away with the lettered in the bottom!!! I was shocked. Told
Him to try and get it. Turned out it was still in his garage with that trash to be picked up that week! Another day and he said it would have been gone!! Magine that!

Cook
08-16-2020, 05:58 AM

Not sure if you ever heard the story.. but I was in touch with Rick Berry back when Misery came out. Long story short... he complained to me that Paul owed him a book still. I informed him of the two book box when you get a number/letter. He threw the box away with the lettered in the bottom!!! I was shocked. Told
Him to try and get it. Turned out it was still in his garage with that trash to be picked up that week! Another day and he said it would have been gone!! Magine that!

Lol, yes indeed, Magine that!

kingfan2323
08-16-2020, 05:59 AM
I received my artist and numbered Red Dragons on my birthday! Hard to top that. They are magnificent. Paul is the most organized man in the book publishing world. In fact, he is the only one. I got a kick out of the little insert that said the package contained two books. Imagine throwing the box away and realizing later it had another RD? Fantastic.Funny you mention that. I showed that little card to a couple of my friends and said: You want to see a publisher that has their shit together? It is such a little thing but isn't it the little things that set the greats apart?

seeking: anything DT related #246

burgerhicks80
08-16-2020, 06:24 AM

I've heard this story before but hearing it again I still get a panic attack imagining if it was me, lol!

zelig
08-16-2020, 07:02 AM
Not only is this Paul's best production (I cannot speak for Misery), but this was perhaps Jeff's best unboxing as well!

It occurred to me while watching it though that my box didn't come with the Double Decker card. Is it possible to request one of those when the AGE bookmarks get sent out? It's such a minor card, but it'll make the box feel more special when I store it away.

You want a double decker card, you got it. If you didn't get the card, it's likely your box had the rubber stamp on the outside alerting you to the fact that there are two books in the box. Please submit the contact form on the website requesting one of those cards. Thanks!

MikeDuke
08-16-2020, 10:14 AM
Not be a dummy, but what is a double decker card?

webstar1000
08-16-2020, 10:16 AM

It’s a secret for letter and number owners. It shouldn’t have been posted publicly!

MikeDuke
08-16-2020, 10:23 AM
OK. I think I figured it out anyway. So there :).

ZombieElvis
08-16-2020, 10:23 AM

people who get two books shipped at the same time from Suntup sometimes miss that there is a second book below the first, the double decker card is a small note left on the toop of the first book, informing the customer there is a second book beneath the first. Giving this 'double decker' card a dubious collectability

webstar1000
08-16-2020, 10:24 AM
OK. I think I figured it out anyway. So there :).

https://media1.giphy.com/media/kr5PszPQawIRq/giphy.gif

MikeDuke
08-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Besides my mistake, who is ready for this weeks release.

MikeDuke
08-16-2020, 10:32 AM
It's all good Kris. I did not take it the wrong way. But again, I will admit, on certain things I a, slow on the uptake.

T-Dogz_AK47
08-16-2020, 10:40 AM
A highly coveted treasure is the double decker card. ;)

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/(edited)_20200328_120922.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds (https://app.photobucket.com/u/T-Dogz_AK47/p/84821dc1-8002-41ee-a131-14b907a95a3c)

zelig
08-16-2020, 11:49 AM
Or the expertly designed and painstakingly crafted quintuple decker card! Even more rare than the double.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200816/55c27f474b5f9450731f24616f9c126e.jpg

NiceM
08-16-2020, 12:39 PM
Feel free to send this my way! They will be cherished

Randall Flagg
08-16-2020, 02:35 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1597617280-suntop%20card.jpg

jeffingoff
08-16-2020, 04:13 PM
Whoever was asking for a Suntup Edition of GEEK LOVE you should know you may be getting the wonderful limited treatment from Centipede instead. From Jerad’s newsletter:

And we are still trying to get rights nailed down for Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny and Geek Love by Katharine Dunn. Man, acquisitions are taking a long time!

ZombieElvis
08-16-2020, 05:08 PM
Whoever was asking for a Suntup Edition of GEEK LOVE you should know you may be getting the wonderful limited treatment from Centipede instead. From Jerad’s newsletter:

And we are still trying to get rights nailed down for Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny and Geek Love by Katharine Dunn. Man, acquisitions are taking a long time!

that would be me and FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!!!
I still wish it was a Suntup production, :/ I got on the Suntup bus and im never getting off NEVER!

zelig
08-16-2020, 05:12 PM
I would have liked to publish this one but I knew Jerad was doing it so I stayed away. I have no doubt it will be a beautiful edition. There’s more than enough books to go around and we have some highly desirable ones in the pipeline.

zelig
08-16-2020, 05:42 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1597617280-suntop%20card.jpg

Good one. I have a couple pallets on the floor which this tag would work well for.

lotuz
08-16-2020, 06:47 PM
I would have liked to publish this one but I knew Jerad was doing it so I stayed away. I have no doubt it will be a beautiful edition. There’s more than enough books to go around and we have some highly desirable ones in the pipeline.

I really want to write a Centipede and Suntup side-by-side essay again someday and with an attitude like this I'm never going to get the chance :cry:

Patrick
08-16-2020, 07:05 PM
I posted comments and pics in the Facebook group the other day, but want to add here that these editions of RED DRAGON are absolutely amazing. The slipcase for the numbered edition is the nicest I can ever remember owning. It’s up there with with the Suntup MISERY case, except that one has the advantage of being a traycase and has that cool little ax closure.

Paul, you and your team have really outdone yourselves with this one. Thank you!

zelig
08-16-2020, 07:28 PM

I really want to write a Centipede and Suntup side-by-side essay again someday and with an attitude like this I'm never going to get the chance :cry:

I’m afraid you won’t on this one! With HH, neither of us knew the other was doing it until it was too late. I don’t mind creating a limited book that has been done before, provided enough years have passed. Other factors like the book itself, who published the other edition/s, etc. will play a part in the decision. For now you will have to enjoy Centipede’s GL, and I have no doubt you will.

I posted comments and pics in the Facebook group the other day, but want to add here that these editions of RED DRAGON are absolutely amazing. The slipcase for the numbered edition is the nicest I can ever remember owning. It’s up there with with the Suntup MISERY case, except that one has the advantage of being a traycase and has that cool little ax closure.

Paul, you and your team have really outdone yourselves with this one. Thank you!

Patrick, thanks man. Appreciate it. I always knew you had good taste!

DoctorZaius
08-16-2020, 08:27 PM

I already have one of the 32 limiteds done of Geek Love back in 1989 - it's gorgeous. Thanks for the heads-up. I look forward to seeing what Jerad can come up with. Paul, you are a class act for backing off to give Jerad the space needed to do it. This book begs for something special - I'm sure your's would have been great.

swintek
08-16-2020, 10:20 PM
Man, love that professionalism in respect to backing off a book that a a fellow publisher is trying to land. Kudos, and much respect.

Also, I finally opened my RED DRAGON "gift" edition. I had purposely let some time sit in between enjoying the numbered for a few days, and opening the "gift". I think everyone is in agreement that the numbered is a crowning achievement, both in Suntup's roster, and the Horror small press in general. A landmark edition of a massively important book. And it's also important that it's signed, unlike Subpress's. But- the gift edition, I think- is the Book of the Year. It's a stunner, and I do absolutely factor in price and availability. Anyone can make a $1K plus "beautiful" book, but a truly gorgeous book at this price point is amazing. And, gorgeous it is. When I pay $500 for a book- I expect it to look as good as the numbered RED DRAGON does. It damn well better. That's a lot of money for a book. The "Artist Gift" was just a shocker at the level of quality and attention to detail. I now get why Paul had to up the price for the next Gift edition. If the quality keeps up to this level- and I'm sure it will- they should still be worth it.

Anyway, just really wanted to say how much I really love both editions. I just dig the idea that 1000 people get to read this seminal novel in a truly beautiful- and affordable edition. Well, I'm not sure about now- I haven't checked, but I'm sure the price is going up on eBay. Anyway- thanks for both, Paul!

MikeDuke
08-17-2020, 05:33 AM
Again, I have to agree that Red Dragon is a spectacular edition. The case for the numbered is so original in my mind. I love the idea of that kind of cloth. And the AGE textured fell on the slipcase, and that art on the DJ. Wow.

jeffingoff
08-17-2020, 05:37 AM
Again, I have to agree that Red Dragon is a spectacular edition. The case for the numbered is so original in my mind. I love the idea of that kind of cloth. And the AGE textured fell on the slipcase, and that art on the DJ. Wow.

I agree Mike. When I hold them I know I’m holding someone’s Holy Grail. It’s wonderful to see a book I love get such an incredible treatment.

zelig
08-17-2020, 08:52 AM
Man, love that professionalism in respect to backing off a book that a a fellow publisher is trying to land. Kudos, and much respect.

Also, I finally opened my RED DRAGON "gift" edition. I had purposely let some time sit in between enjoying the numbered for a few days, and opening the "gift". I think everyone is in agreement that the numbered is a crowning achievement, both in Suntup's roster, and the Horror small press in general. A landmark edition of a massively important book. And it's also important that it's signed, unlike Subpress's. But- the gift edition, I think- is the Book of the Year. It's a stunner, and I do absolutely factor in price and availability. Anyone can make a $1K plus "beautiful" book, but a truly gorgeous book at this price point is amazing. And, gorgeous it is. When I pay $500 for a book- I expect it to look as good as the numbered RED DRAGON does. It damn well better. That's a lot of money for a book. The "Artist Gift" was just a shocker at the level of quality and attention to detail. I now get why Paul had to up the price for the next Gift edition. If the quality keeps up to this level- and I'm sure it will- they should still be worth it.

Anyway, just really wanted to say how much I really love both editions. I just dig the idea that 1000 people get to read this seminal novel in a truly beautiful- and affordable edition. Well, I'm not sure about now- I haven't checked, but I'm sure the price is going up on eBay. Anyway- thanks for both, Paul!

That's quite a review! I'm pleased you like it Ron.

MikeDuke
08-17-2020, 10:23 AM
I have to agree again, that this is a wonderful production. Both versions are fantastic. TBH, I did not realize that Red Dragon was such a seminal book in the horror arena. But I do now.
I also have to say that I love the cloth and I hope Paul would think about doing another book in this fashion. But dammit, I can't say it's my favorite because I love IAL and RB also.
But this is close to the top that Paul has put out (so far). I have a feeling 1984 will be another one where we talk about how great it is. But for now, I am amazed at the whole
package from design to implementation.

BadHatHarry
08-17-2020, 02:30 PM
Thanks, yes it’s always good to know the authors or the Estates are pleased with the results.

Paul, does your numbering system for books include the copies dedicated for the authors? Or are those separately numbered or marked somehow? How many personal copies do the authors get?

The way I designate contributor copies is with a “PC”. That would be for authors, artists, agents, publishers, etc., etc. These are produced in addition to the 250 run for public sale. As to how many copies an author receives, it can vary from book to book.

So the copies “reserved for private distribution” for Misery was a one-off? Just curious about the behind-the-scenes magic.

I think I did this with Horns as well. I can't recall now which books, but the first one or two yes. After that I changed it to how I described above.

Cool. I was just wondering - I like the behind the curtains stuff. I'm the type who plays way more "Franchise Mode" in NHL than actual games.

BadHatHarry
08-17-2020, 02:33 PM
I received my artist and numbered Red Dragons on my birthday! Hard to top that. They are magnificent. Paul is the most organized man in the book publishing world. In fact, he is the only one. I got a kick out of the little insert that said the package contained two books. Imagine throwing the box away and realizing later it had another RD? Fantastic.Funny you mention that. I showed that little card to a couple of my friends and said: You want to see a publisher that has their shit together? It is such a little thing but isn't it the little things that set the greats apart?

I had that same thought in unboxing my Red Dragon. Just, that kind of attention to detail is awesome.

MikeDuke
08-18-2020, 05:24 AM
Got the "Have you moved email" for the AGE F451 from Suntup. Paul, you make every one of those emails feel like it's Christmas. I am really excited to see that cover in person :excited:.

Aremag
08-18-2020, 09:54 AM
My Red Dragons have escaped the Anaheim black hole and are now leaving Miami before hopefully coming to NY. I think my F451 AGE might beat them to my house.

MikeDuke
08-18-2020, 09:55 AM
I figured some of you might want to see my Suntup shelf up close, and even maybe some of me so here we go
First are two of me with my proofs. First one is of me and the proofs
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/phpvaPg8nAM.jpg
This one is me saying to myself, "holy shit, I have two Suntup proofs
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/phpUKqmq6AM.jpg

MikeDuke
08-18-2020, 09:57 AM
Next is the actual shelf of total goodness
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/php30ZUDqAM.jpg
And then me with the shelf of total goodness
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/phphd4owiAM.jpg

MikeDuke
08-18-2020, 10:00 AM
And for those who are wondering about the cane, well, it's a Suntup cane of course
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/phppF6v0RPM.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/phpiPbGbvPM.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/phpxgSnZTPM.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/phpIdTuNcPM_1_.jpg

jeffingoff
08-18-2020, 10:00 AM
HEY! Great to see you, Mike!

MikeDuke
08-18-2020, 10:01 AM
So get off your butts and do what you have to do to get on the train :smile:.

jeffingoff
08-18-2020, 10:02 AM
That cane has the lowest limitation of any Suntup product!!

webstar1000
08-18-2020, 10:04 AM

LOVE THE HANDLEBAR STACHE MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeDuke
08-18-2020, 10:08 AM
Thanks Jeff. Yep, the cane is 1/1.

MikeDuke
08-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Thanks Kris. My Grandfather had one so why not me as well.

zelig
08-18-2020, 10:20 AM
Mike, good to see pics of you! So pleased you use the cane.

MikeDuke
08-18-2020, 10:21 AM
It's the ONLY one I use Paul. And that's the truth.

Noxus35
08-18-2020, 10:25 AM
It's the ONLY one I use Paul. And that's the truth.The cane is absolutely awesome! It's gorgeous and super cool that Paul gifted it to you. [emoji1303][emoji1305]

Sent from my CPH1919 using Tapatalk

becca69
08-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Nice pics Mike!

MikeDuke
08-18-2020, 10:36 AM
It's the ONLY one I use Paul. And that's the truth.The cane is absolutely awesome! It's gorgeous and super cool that Paul gifted it to you. [emoji1303][emoji1305]

Yea, I told the story once, but one day Paul asked me all sorts of strange questions. Like how tall I was, and if I was right or left handed. Then I forgot about those emails. Then one day I get a package and it's this awesome cane
made for right handed people. You can tell by the grip. Plus it was the perfect height. I was floored by it. It really means a lot to me. He did not have to take the time to do that but he did. It's another reason he has a customer
for life.

MikeDuke
08-18-2020, 10:37 AM
Nice pics Mike!
Thanks Becca.

Noxus35
08-18-2020, 10:43 AM

Yea, I told the story once, but one day Paul asked me all sorts of strange questions. Like how tall I was, and if I was right or left handed. Then I forgot about those emails. Then one day I get a package and it's this awesome cane
made for right handed people. You can tell by the grip. Plus it was the perfect height. I was floored by it. It really means a lot to me. He did not have to take the time to do that but he did. It's another reason he has a customer
for life.

This post really makes feel the good and positive vibe Paul's swinging around here, i would be floored by a surprise like that too.

Ps: i wanted to give you positive rep for your post but i can't, i need to give it to others first. So please consider this as your positive rep! [emoji1305]

MikeDuke
08-18-2020, 11:37 AM
Yea. You can feel Paul's positive vibe through the FB live stuff also. And thanks for the positive rep.

Br!an
08-18-2020, 11:55 AM

Didn't he know that Suntup boxes are collectible too?

webstar1000
08-18-2020, 01:10 PM
RENEWING my offer here for numbered Misery for $5250. Still
Cannot Believe this book is worth more than 90% of the lettereds out there. [emoji23]

Hunchback Jack
08-18-2020, 02:04 PM

Well, hey there, Mike! Good to see you!

HBJ

Br!an
08-18-2020, 02:37 PM
Cannot Believe this book is worth more than 90% of the lettereds out there. [emoji23]

The value is in the rights. I'd be tempted to sell my Misery for $5250 without rights. :evil:

webstar1000
08-18-2020, 02:45 PM

The value is in the rights. I'd be tempted to sell my Misery for $5250 without rights. :evil:

Let’s be honest. How much value is in the rights to something that there is no Guarantee of? 10%, 20%? Surely not much more than 1/4? While there is value there I do not disagree...
The book commands the prices it does Because it’s astounding, amazing, breathtakingly beautiful and better than the 90% of the Lettereds that have been done previously. It deserves to be priced that much in this market. Are you willing to sell yours without rights? I would surely ask the buyer if so my man...

ruderabbit
08-18-2020, 02:51 PM

Let’s be honest. How much value is in the rights to something that there is no Guarantee of? 10%, 20%? Surely not much more than 1/4? While there is value there I do not disagree...
The book commands the prices it does Because it’s astounding, amazing, breathtakingly beautiful and better than the 90% of the Lettereds that have been done previously. It deserves to be priced that much in this market. Are you willing to sell yours without rights? I would surely ask the buyer if so my man...

I seem to recall a rather heated debate about not being able to sell Misery without rights.

Most of the heat being directed at me.

Are you now saying it’s OK to sell without rights staying with the book?

webstar1000
08-18-2020, 02:54 PM

I seem to recall a rather heated debate about not being able to sell Misery without rights.

That’s what has been stated recently. Long as buyer and seller don’t fill out the paperwork on the Suntup site... good to go!

webstar1000
08-18-2020, 02:55 PM

That’s what has been stated recently. Long as buyer and seller don’t fill out the paperwork on the Suntup site... good to go!

ruderabbit
08-18-2020, 02:59 PM
That’s convenient.

I got verbally hammered by people on this message board when I tried to sell without rights following with the book.

webstar1000
08-18-2020, 03:00 PM
That’s convenient.

I got verbally hammered by people on this message board when I tried to sell without rights following with the book.

You were not allowed was what everyone was told. It was a strict no no.... this is only recently that this now has been stated. Like a month or so. Nothing convenient about it brother.. just was a different rule set then. It is suppose to follow the book. It just no longer has to it seems.

zelig
08-18-2020, 03:23 PM
That’s convenient.

You were not allowed was what everyone was told. It was a strict no no.... this is only recently that this now has been stated. Like a month or so. Nothing convenient about it brother.. just was a different rule set then. It is suppose to follow the book. It just no longer has to it seems.

This needs to be clarified. Nothing has changed since day 1, other than perhaps a clarification which became necessary as time went by. Yes, rights follow the book. But it's impossible for me to track every aftermarket sale that takes place. The only way I know if a sale happened, and can therefore register the new owner, is when the seller submits a form. That's perhaps where the confusion comes in. I cannot REQUIRE a seller to submit that form. They could sell the book, not submit the form, and I am none the wiser. Point is, the seller owns the book. I have no right to tell that person what they can do with something they own.

To clarify all of this, I wrote this support article (https://support.suntup.press/knowledge-base/how-do-i-acquire-and-retain-rights-to-a-suntup-editions-publication/) which is the official word on it. I won't state it again here, because it's all clearly stated in that article. So I'd recommend anyone who is interested should read it, especially the section on buying and selling.

BadHatHarry
08-18-2020, 08:58 PM
Dark Regions Press has AGE’s of Red Dragon for list price if you join their Collector’s Club.

sullichin
08-19-2020, 05:18 AM
Dark Regions Press has AGE’s of Red Dragon for list price if you join their Collector’s Club.

Appreciate the tip but I just signed up and I'm not seeing this -- is it on the Patreon? Only seeing posts from 2019

I told myself that the numbered is enough and I don't need the AGE... but I need it

Noxus35
08-19-2020, 05:21 AM

Appreciate the tip but I just signed up and I'm not seeing this -- is it on the Patreon? Only seeing posts from 2019

I told myself that the numbered is enough and I don't need the AGE... but I need itUse the contact form on their website, they'll get back to you. I did it yesterday. [emoji6]

sullichin
08-19-2020, 05:35 AM

I told myself that the numbered is enough and I don't need the AGE... but I need itUse the contact form on their website, they'll get back to you. I did it yesterday. [emoji6]

Thanks! I'll see what happens.

zelig
08-19-2020, 07:37 AM
That’s convenient.

This needs to be clarified. Nothing has changed since day 1, other than perhaps a clarification which became necessary as time went by. Yes, rights follow the book. But it's impossible for me to track every aftermarket sale that takes place. The only way I know if a sale happened, and can therefore register the new owner, is when the seller submits a form. That's perhaps where the confusion comes in. I cannot REQUIRE a seller to submit that form. They could sell the book, not submit the form, and I am none the wiser. Point is, the seller owns the book. I have no right to tell that person what they can do with something they own.

To clarify all of this, I wrote this support article (https://support.suntup.press/knowledge-base/how-do-i-acquire-and-retain-rights-to-a-suntup-editions-publication/) which is the official word on it. I won't state it again here, because it's all clearly stated in that article. So I'd recommend anyone who is interested should read it, especially the section on buying and selling.

After posting this, I felt it was necessary to add further clarification to one point. Although this was already stated on the support article, it needed expanding. I have updated the post which I would recommend you check out again if this is of interest to you. The most important point is the following:

Misery by Stephen King
Because this edition has already been published, and it exists on a separate “rights” thread; then possession rules. The fact that rights follow the physical book means that if you have purchased a copy of Misery, you have the right to submit the buyer form thereby registering as the owner of record, even if the seller tells you that the book is being sold without rights.

Here is a link to the full article (https://support.suntup.press/knowledge-base/how-do-i-acquire-and-retain-rights-to-a-suntup-editions-publication/).

Dolan
08-19-2020, 09:00 AM
That’s convenient.

After posting this, I felt it was necessary to add further clarification to one point. Although this was already stated on the support article, it needed expanding. I have updated the post which I would recommend you check out again if this is of interest to you. The most important point is the following:

Misery by Stephen King
Because this edition has already been published, and it exists on a separate “rights” thread; then possession rules. The fact that rights follow the physical book means that if you have purchased a copy of Misery, you have the right to submit the buyer form thereby registering as the owner of record, even if the seller tells you that the book is being sold without rights.

Here is a link to the full article (https://support.suntup.press/knowledge-base/how-do-i-acquire-and-retain-rights-to-a-suntup-editions-publication/).

This is excellent clarification.

webstar1000
08-19-2020, 09:01 AM
That’s convenient.

Misery by Stephen King

This is excellent clarification.

So basically you could come to an agreement that rights are not part of the deal then fill out buyer form and effectively take those rights no matter what. Interesting... they truly follow this book then. There is no buyers form for non king.

becca69
08-19-2020, 09:10 AM
So basically you could come to an agreement that rights are not part of the deal then fill out buyer form and effectively take those rights no matter what. Interesting... they truly follow this book then. There is no buyers form for non king.

This is because there isn't a physical book yet on the most recently announced title and that book must ship to the original buyer. Basically, like in the Matrix, "there is no book". :sidegrin:

Noxus35
08-19-2020, 09:30 AM

Basically, like in the Matrix, "there is no book". :sidegrin:

Was that a hint (Neuromancer)? [emoji854]

MikeDuke
08-19-2020, 09:33 AM

That what people seem to be thinking. I think I will take the red pill on this one.

webstar1000
08-19-2020, 09:35 AM

This is because there isn't a physical book yet on the most recently announced title and that book must ship to the original buyer. Basically, like in the Matrix, "there is no book". :sidegrin:

haha makes total sense.... :)

Splync
08-19-2020, 09:40 AM
So awesome of Paul to give away those ARCs.

I know he said there's no teaser, but it would have been perfect if he just posted an image of television static instead. Could have said "here's the teaser" and all we end up getting is a static image of static instead (static squared, if you will).

Sure, everyone already knows that it's Neuromancer, but it would have been fun still. ;-)

BadHatHarry
08-19-2020, 01:19 PM

I told myself that the numbered is enough and I don't need the AGE... but I need it

Sorry for the late reply. It was in a newsletter email and that's basically all they said. "Join and get it for list."

Patrick
08-19-2020, 01:54 PM
I just want to say that I love Mike Duke’s cane and I love the story behind it even more. Good seeing you, Mike!

Actually I also want to say that I always enjoy Paul’s live feed videos. They are often the highlight of an otherwise stressful work day. I’ve even taken to blocking out the time on my work calendar way ahead each quarter when the next ones are announced. Anyone asks who is the Paul Suntup on my calendar, I’ll tell them he’s my therapist which is what gets me through the week.

RichardX
08-19-2020, 02:14 PM
Interesting that Paul showed a doodle today from one of the Thomas Harris sig sheets for Red Dragon that he kept. It looked identical to a doodle that I got in my signed copy of Cari Mora. An owl or some type of bird.

Br!an
08-19-2020, 02:30 PM

It is their Patreon. You can sign up for $25 or $75 a month. It hasn't had much action in a while as far as posts go.

If you sign up for $25 you can buy Red Dragon for $65 for a total of $90. You can always cancel the continuing sponsorship later.

Splync
08-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Interesting that Paul showed a doodle today from one of the Thomas Harris sig sheets for Red Dragon that he kept. It looked identical to a doodle that I got in my signed copy of Cari Mora. An owl or some type of bird.

Yeah, he apparently has doodled owls before. That's awesome that you got one of them!

Dolan
08-19-2020, 03:36 PM

Kris, the argument could be made that the buyer AND seller have to fill out the forms simultaneously in order for it to go into effect. I imagine that's what's in place currently...

shaq
08-19-2020, 03:37 PM
I just want to say that I love Mike Duke’s cane and I love the story behind it even more. Good seeing you, Mike!

Actually I also want to say that I always enjoy Paul’s live feed videos. They are often the highlight of an otherwise stressful work day. I’ve even taken to blocking out the time on my work calendar way ahead each quarter when the next ones are announced. Anyone asks who is the Paul Suntup on my calendar, I’ll tell them he’s my therapist which is what gets me through the week.

Absolutely. Didn’t think I would make it today as I was on holiday, but squirrelled myself away to watch, and amazingly won an ARC.

My partner thinks I am getting obsessed....as if! 😌

MikeDuke
08-19-2020, 03:47 PM

Thanks Patrick. Nice of you to say that. And I also love the videos. I count the minutes and then jump on to watch the video.

Br!an
08-19-2020, 03:50 PM

Kris, the argument could be made that the buyer AND seller have to fill out the forms simultaneously in order for it to go into effect. I imagine that's what's in place currently...

Kris has it right. For Misery, the buyer in possession of the book, can claim the rights.

For non-King books, you would never have the physical book before the presale for the next book, so the issue will never present itself.

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 01:15 AM

That what people seem to be thinking. I think I will take the red pill on this one.

The matrix is within today's book, we'll just have to figure out what the code means and by the way i'll take the red pill too.

MikeDuke
08-20-2020, 05:13 AM
Yep, can not wait to see this, and then get it. I am wondering about the contest though. Only a few hours to go.

burgerhicks80
08-20-2020, 07:00 AM
This could be a problem with people who try selling the book at a higher price thinking the rights belong to them not the book. I can see trying to convince someone to lower the price and running into this. Not that many are for sale anyway,lol

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 07:07 AM
Loved the video! INVISIBLE MAN! LET THE RIGHT ONE IN AGE! BIBLIOMYSTERIES! FAHRENHEIT 451 AGE!! But for the life of me I can't figure out the goddamned shirt!

**EDIT
Found it!!! And I'm PISSED I didn't know it!

zelig
08-20-2020, 07:36 AM
Loved the video! INVISIBLE MAN! LET THE RIGHT ONE IN AGE! BIBLIOMYSTERIES! FAHRENHEIT 451 AGE!! But for the life of me I can't figure out the goddamned shirt!

**EDIT

One of the greatest TV shows in the history of the world!

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 07:43 AM

**EDIT

I have to agree on this! 😎

Cook
08-20-2020, 07:54 AM

**EDIT

Hogan's Hero's is my guess

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 07:57 AM

**EDIT

Hogan's Hero's is my guess

That was my first guess but not it. I'll drop it in a SPOILER thingy

Fawlty Towers

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 08:07 AM
Absolutely awesome editions Paul, sadly i'll have to wait to see if i can snag one.

But in the meantime i studied the board and found this, could this be the start of the easter egg? [emoji848]

It contains the letters "ZY" . https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200820/2778a1e2f519ca3eba63d4fd8d20882a.jpg

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 08:07 AM
WOWOWOWOWOWOW! THAT BOOK IS BEAUTIFUL.

MikeDuke
08-20-2020, 08:08 AM
I have to agree Jeff.

Lookwhoitis
08-20-2020, 08:11 AM
I am absolutely blown away by Neuromancer.

BadHatHarry
08-20-2020, 08:13 AM
Neuromancer is one of my all-time favorite books. I cannot begin to convey how excited I am for this, and this edition looks tremendous (even by Suntup standards).

Raenas
08-20-2020, 08:25 AM
Looks absolutely beautiful. Bit disappointed though that such a great book is not letterpress. It seems like with S/L books the cost of rights + printing is too much? Last letterpress S/L was Horns and then there was only Misery before that, if memory serves me right.

becca69
08-20-2020, 08:27 AM
Looks absolutely beautiful. Bit disappointed though that such a great book is not letterpress. It seems like with S/L books the cost of rights + printing is too much? Last letterpress S/L was Horns and then there was only Misery before that, if memory serves me right.

Rosemary's Baby, I Am Legend, HG Wells, F451, The Lottery are all letterpress.

burgerhicks80
08-20-2020, 08:29 AM

I am legend, Fahrenheit 451, the lottery and 1984 were printed letterpress

Raenas
08-20-2020, 08:32 AM

Rosemary's Baby, I Am Legend, HG Wells, F451, The Lottery are all letterpress.

None of them were signed by the living author.

BadHatHarry
08-20-2020, 08:34 AM
Not every book needs to be letterpress. Given the track record here, I have no qualms about deferring to Paul and his design ideas for what is appropriate for each book.

Raenas
08-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Not every book needs to be letterpress. Given the track record here, I have no qualms about deferring to Paul and his design ideas for what is appropriate for each book.

I would not expect it, especially with very high page counts in some upcoming books. I am just noticing a trend that books signed by living authors tend to be offset, while ones where it is no longer possible, they tend to be letterpress. I assume cost is the main reason, not design, at least I don't see why offset would be preferable from a design perspective. But every book cannot be $700+ either, so definitely needs to be some corner cutting here and there.

GypsyDRB
08-20-2020, 08:44 AM
Can we focus on genuine printed circuited boards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:onfire::onfire::onfire::onf ire::onfire:

BadHatHarry
08-20-2020, 08:49 AM
So almost 100 copies sold in less than an hour? That's really something.

Hunchback Jack
08-20-2020, 08:52 AM
I posted this on the Suntup facebook page as well.

The pattern on the front cover contains encoded letters in binary. When translated to ASCII, they are:
e, t, h, e, z, b, s, i and y.
That almost spells "elizabeth" or "elisabeth". Can anyone else work it out?

Is this the Easter Egg, Paul?

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 08:55 AM
I think i found it and i've submitted it, i've got my fingers crossed. 🤞🏻

KarlHungus
08-20-2020, 08:55 AM

The pattern on the front cover contains encoded letters in binary. When translated to ASCII, they are:

That's as far as I got as well. I can't figure out if the direction of the blocks has any meaning.

JeremyM
08-20-2020, 08:56 AM
Hi - first time posting here. Really excited for Neuromancer as it's in my top 5 favorite books. Also excited for the easter egg contest - I've found two different things so far - the most obvious is the inclusion of Tessier-Ashpool S.A. as the manufacturer of the board. Guessing that's not the whole story though. The other easter egg I found appears to have a 'typo' in it - though more likely I'm interpreting it wrong.

JeremyM
08-20-2020, 08:57 AM

If you go in order SW1 -> SW9 - it spells bytesizeh - wondering if this is a typo for byte sized? Can't imagine that though.

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 09:00 AM
You people are goddamned geniuses

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 09:02 AM

If you go in order SW1 -> SW9 - it spells bytesizeh - wondering if this is a typo for byte sized? Can't imagine that though.

I found something completely different, total different direction from yours.

Ps: i don't know a thing about binary codes. 🙃

GypsyDRB
08-20-2020, 09:03 AM
Neuromancer by William Gibson would be a worthy addition to the Suntup line up.

Not a bad idea from 4 months ago :tongue:

Hunchback Jack
08-20-2020, 09:03 AM
Oops, I didn't see the instructions for the easter egg competition on the announcement page. I just noticed this myself and thought it was cool. I guess I let the cat out of the bag.

Sorry if I spoiled anyone's fun. :(

I suppose others would have submitted answers before me, though.

HBJ

Br!an
08-20-2020, 09:07 AM

That's what I came up with too.

JeremyM
08-20-2020, 09:14 AM

If there is more too it - wonder if it involves circuit tracing - i.e. open vs closed switches connecting to other parts of the board - U36, C17, etc. Not sure how you'd go about decoding that though - or even getting the data set to start with - (i.e. is 1 open or is 0 open?).

MikeDuke
08-20-2020, 09:25 AM
Just sent in my guess. I am probably way off and you guys are closer then I was.

MLG
08-20-2020, 09:26 AM

**EDIT

Completely agree! My only complaint is that it did not last long enough!

MikeDuke
08-20-2020, 09:32 AM
Just guessed. Totally different then the direction everybody else is going, but I go my own way anyway, and it's probably wrong and the only guess I have.
Is it this?
Tessier-Ashpool S.A., who owns the mainframe and software, who are pulling Armitage’s strings
Tessier Ashpool is written on the side of the circuit board.

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 09:50 AM
Also, if I could take us back just a little with a note about Red Dragon--I noticed that whoever numbered these editions did so in a very exacting hand. It's completely different from every other numbered edition. It almost looks like the numbers were typed onto the page. Matches the penmanship of Harris.

Nemoh21
08-20-2020, 09:56 AM
Is there any way we can possibly get a confirmation if the Easter egg has been solved that way those of us who answered know we need to go back to the drawing board? Lol

MikeDuke
08-20-2020, 10:06 AM
One more guess
is it the number 19. When you add circuits R9+R10 you get 19. That's how many books (including EOTD portfolio) Suntup have produced?

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 10:10 AM
One more guess
is it the number 19. When you add circuits R9+R10 you get 19. That's how many books (including EOTD portfolio) Suntup have produced?

Mike, you need to submit your guesses via the Suntup site.

Patrick
08-20-2020, 10:13 AM
I HAVE ALMOST SOLVED THE HIDDEN PUZZLE!
I just need your help figuring out how to translate it...

Wuzzee
Unbok
Sing
Wutiibee
Eydun
No
Shek
Kit
Unnzee

(shared on Facebook as well to get all great minds on this!)

MikeDuke
08-20-2020, 10:14 AM
One more guess

I did. But I thought it was OK to post them here as well. People seem to be doing that. If not, then I AM A TOTAL IDIOT.

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 10:15 AM
One more guess

I did. But I thought it was OK to post them here as well. People seem to be doing that. If not, then I AM A TOTAL IDIOT.

I just wanted to be sure that none of your work was lost.

MikeDuke
08-20-2020, 10:16 AM
Thanks Jeff. But I am pretty sure my guesses are wrong anyway.

JeremyM
08-20-2020, 10:31 AM

Wuzzee
Unbok
Sing
Wutiibee
Eydun
No
Shek
Kit
Unnzee

Out of curiosity did you get to these words? Cipher identifying algorithm pegs this as either columnar transposition or mono alphabetic substitution. That said wuzzee would seem to knock out monoalphabetic - as I can't think of a ton of words that end in two pairs of letters - coffee is the only one I think that would work; and that borks the rest of the string.

Kingfan24
08-20-2020, 10:33 AM

Wuzzee
Unbok
Sing
Wutiibee
Eydun
No
Shek
Kit
Unnzee

Out of curiosity did you get to these words? Cipher identifying algorithm pegs this as either columnar transposition or mono alphabetic substitution. That said wuzzee would seem to knock out monoalphabetic - as I can't think of a ton of words that end in two pairs of letters - coffee is the only one I think that would work; and that borks the rest of the string.

I think this is a joke. As it sounds just like Jeff’s unboxing video introductions.

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 10:33 AM

Wuzzee
Unbok
Sing
Wutiibee
Eydun
No
Shek
Kit
Unnzee

What's the unboxing, what it be?! I dunno, shut up and see.

Correct guess? 🤔

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 10:35 AM

Wuzzee
Unbok
Sing
Wutiibee
Eydun
No
Shek
Kit
Unnzee

I think this is a joke. As it sounds just like Jeff’s unboxing video introductions.

Oh holy shit! Hahahahahaha!!

JeremyM
08-20-2020, 10:37 AM

Wuzzee
Unbok
Sing
Wutiibee
Eydun
No
Shek
Kit
Unnzee

What's the unboxing, what it be?! I dunno, shut up and see.

Correct guess? 🤔

Hah! I'm not to quick today apparently.

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 10:40 AM
Hah! I'm not to quick today apparently.

I'm not too quick most days. And the other days I'm even slower.

Brilliantly hilarious Patrick!!

Br!an
08-20-2020, 10:51 AM

If there is more too it - wonder if it involves circuit tracing - i.e. open vs closed switches connecting to other parts of the board - U36, C17, etc. Not sure how you'd go about decoding that though - or even getting the data set to start with - (i.e. is 1 open or is 0 open?).

I was exited to have solved it until I got to the h. Either it's suppose to be d or there is more to it. Strange way to transition to another piece of the puzzle though.

St. Troy
08-20-2020, 10:59 AM
The books are the the usual for Suntup, which is to say, completely fucking insane: that green cloth binding, silver foil stamping, and carbon black material - the numbered is beautiful (again: I want to touch). Actual PC boards? My God. I only wish the site showed the lettered edition's endsheets and enclosure. Even the easter egg contest (from where the guesses seem to be going) is perfectly fitting of the work.

Well goddamn done.

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 11:02 AM
The books are the the usual for Suntup, which is to say, completely fucking insane: that green cloth binding, silver foil stamping, and carbon black material - the numbered is beautiful (again: I want to touch). Actual PC boards? My God. I only wish the site showed the lettered edition's endsheets and enclosure. Even the easter egg contest (from where the guesses seem to be going) is perfectly fitting of the work.

Well goddamn done.

You'd think we'd be desensitized to the amazement by now. But every time I'm like DAYUM!

MikeDuke
08-20-2020, 11:03 AM
I got so carried away with the contest that I forgot to say how cool the book really is. A great design and I love the artwork.

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 11:18 AM
I got so carried away with the contest that I forgot to say how cool the book really is. A great design and I love the artwork.

I spent the first hour (or so) after the announcement looking for my eventually submitted answer, scrolling along the picture. Looking for small things out of place and after a while something caught me eye. 😉

MikeDuke
08-20-2020, 11:25 AM

I spent the first hour (or so) after the announcement looking for my eventually submitted answer, scrolling along the picture. Looking for small things out of place and after a while something caught me eye. 😉
Well good luck. I mean that.

burgerhicks80
08-20-2020, 11:32 AM
I don't know if any of you use Reddit but I created a Suntup fan club Subreddit if anyone would care to join

https://www.reddit.com/r/SuntupPress/

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 11:43 AM

Well good luck. I mean that.

Thanks Mike, good luck to you too! 😉

Splync
08-20-2020, 11:45 AM
I think the "bytesizeh" is probably a clever red herring left by Paul. To get you to think that you're sooooo close, when it really is just a dead end.

zelig
08-20-2020, 11:55 AM
Amazing. The three winning entries have been received. Contest is closed. I have updated the site. Winners will be announced soon.

JeremyM
08-20-2020, 11:57 AM
Amazing. The three winning entries have been received. Contest is closed. I have updated the site. Winners will be announced soon.

Well, at least it wont be torturing my mind for months on end as the Thornwillow 'Poe' contest has. Worried I'll still be thinking about that one when the timer runs out.... in April.

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 11:59 AM

Suntup fans are the best fans!! Congrats to the winners whose brains function at a higher rate than mine which is to say they function!! So awesome of Paul, Becca, and team to do this.

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 12:00 PM

Wow! I can't wait for the announcement of the winners, good luck to all who entered! 👌🏻✌🏻

Patrick
08-20-2020, 12:06 PM
Yes, my post was a throwaway joke.

Congratulations to the three winners for solving the real puzzle in record speed!

These books are going to be amazing. As always for Suntup Editions.

playdohman
08-20-2020, 12:08 PM
I was trying to unscramble the underlined letters. Not even sure of that was part of the clue.

Cook
08-20-2020, 12:08 PM

All I could come up with was "By the size" (binary).. didn't make sense to me.
When will you reveal.. very curious

JeremyM
08-20-2020, 12:12 PM
I was trying to unscramble the underlined letters. Not even sure of that was part of the clue.

My money is on those combined with the binary encoded letters and maybe the ZY as well all playing a part.

zelig
08-20-2020, 12:19 PM
I'll be going live on Facebook at 2:00 p.m. PT to announce the winners of the Neuromancer Easter Egg Contest.

MikeDuke
08-20-2020, 12:25 PM
That's what I was trying to do. A last ditch effort. I guess I can relax my brain now.

St. Troy
08-20-2020, 12:29 PM
I don't know if any of you use Reddit but I created a Suntup fan club Subreddit if anyone would care to join

Good idea - joined!

BadHatHarry
08-20-2020, 01:17 PM

Joined!

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Again, thank you Paul! I can't believe i won, and the grand prize. Absolutely awesome!

I'm off the charts right now, in a dreamlike state. I just realized there will be only one of this rebound lettered edition.

It's like the holy grail, i just can't believe it. Surreal.

jeffingoff
08-20-2020, 01:35 PM
Again, thank you Paul! I can't believe i won, and the grand prize. Absolutely awesome!

I'm off the charts right now, in a dreamlike state. I just realized there will be only one of this rebound lettered edition.

This is why Paul's story is so amazing. It's just an endless feedback loop of good vibes and positive energy. Really tremendous stuff. It's more than books.

JeremyM
08-20-2020, 01:55 PM

Congrats!

Curious if you're familiar with Latin? By the time I noticed the underlined letters it was a few hours in and the letter distribution didn't strike me as English - so was going at it more as a code than a scramble. Hadn't occurred to me it might be another language and I was also trying to marry it to the binary encoded letters to boot.

Really fun contest!

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 02:00 PM

Congrats!

Curious if you're familiar with Latin? By the time I noticed the underlined letters it was a few hours in and the letter distribution didn't strike me as English - so was going at it more as a code than a scramble. Hadn't occurred to me it might be another language and I was also trying to marry it to the binary encoded letters to boot.

Really fun contest!

I posted this just now on facebook, i'll post it here as an answer to your question. Ps; i'm not familair with Latin, but i did hear the saying multiple times in my life.

"
Yeah, i first thought it had something to do with ZY in it but i just figured that can't be right and that easy. So i went back on it and noticed the underlined letters and scribbled them down on a paper. And combined the letters multiple times and eventually stumbled upon "Ad astra" and thought; hey, i know this and wrote ; Ad Astra Per Aspera" down. Checked and numbered the letters to compare it and just submitted it without any question."

Joe315
08-20-2020, 02:06 PM

Congrats!

Really fun contest!

I posted this just now on facebook, i'll post it here as an answer to your question. Ps; i'm not familair with Latin, but i did hear the saying multiple times in my life.

"
Yeah, i first thought it had something to do with ZY in it but i just figured that can't be right and that easy. So i went back on it and noticed the underlined letters and scribbled them down on a paper. And combined the letters multiple times and eventually stumbled upon "Ad astra" and thought; hey, i know this and wrote ; Ad Astra Per Aspera" down. Checked and numbered the letters to compare it and just submitted it without any question."

Congrats. I was on the right track but I don't think I would have been able to figure out the latin part of it.

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 02:07 PM

This is why Paul's story is so amazing. It's just an endless feedback loop of good vibes and positive energy. Really tremendous stuff. It's more than books.

It was a really amazing and heartfelt story, i'm speaking from some personal experiences and i sincerely hope he's feeling relieved and doing great by now.

Kingfan24
08-20-2020, 02:20 PM

Congrats!

Really fun contest!

"

Where did you get the D? There was no underlined D.

Black Miau
08-20-2020, 02:24 PM

Congrats!

Really fun contest!

"

Next to lines U14 - U15

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 02:32 PM

Congrats!

Really fun contest!

"

Where did you get the D? There was no underlined D.It was there, just can't find the original high res picture of Suntup's picture.

I do have my scribbling though. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200820/66b4f15f897b11509a3dfacc3294585e.jpg

Kingfan24
08-20-2020, 02:33 PM

Congrats!

Really fun contest!

"

Next to lines U14 - U15

Ah there it is. Thanks for pointing that out.

firemonkey66
08-20-2020, 03:45 PM
Wow, congrats to the winners! And those are some sweet and well-deserved prizes!

MikeDuke
08-20-2020, 03:46 PM

A real big congrats for winning the grand prize. Really, I am glad you won.

Hunchback Jack
08-20-2020, 03:58 PM

Congrats, and well deserved! And all credit to Paul for the fun contest (and generous prizes).

(Can I just say that I'm *amazed* that the switch settings happened to correspond to letters in ASCII, given that they weren't part of the answer. A delightful red herring).

HBJ

zelig
08-20-2020, 04:09 PM
Congratulations to the winners! Haven't had chance to post as today has been rather busy. Thank you everyone for taking part in the contest!

Noxus35
08-20-2020, 04:21 PM

A real big congrats for winning the grand prize. Really, I am glad you won.

Thanks Mike, i appreciate it! 👍🏻

Congrats, and well deserved! And all credit to Paul for the fun contest (and generous prizes).

(Can I just say that I'm *amazed* that the switch settings happened to correspond to letters in ASCII, given that they weren't part of the answer. A delightful red herring).

HBJ

Thank you HBJ, i honestly wasn't expecting to win anything when i woke up this morning. This made my year, i mean i never owned a lettered before this. So this is just AMAZING for me.

Congratulations to the winners! Haven't had chance to post as today has been rather busy. Thank you everyone for taking part in the contest!

Thanks so much Paul, i really thought : "ooo man, i have to wait until october to find out if my answer's correct. "

But wow, you just gifted me an awesome edition of which i thought i would never, ever, own one. But to have two unique editions (lettered & rebound) combined in one extraordinary edition just rocks my world. 😎

shaq
08-20-2020, 11:00 PM
I submitted at a similar time to Twan, and listening to Paul, was thinking, it’s me, it’s me.

I’d taken the letters underlined and made out “red star appears” with a spare A.

"Red Star, Winter Orbit" is a short story by Gibson, and entered saying this is included as extra in the book.

Lol, not as profound and inspiring as Paul’s message, but for a minute my heart was racing.

Big hearty congrats to the winners, what a fantastic set of prizes Paul.

firemonkey66
08-21-2020, 07:34 AM
Only 53 numbered and 6 lettered remain! I can’t believe any lettered will be available for a lottery, it’s just so awesome of a design. I haven’t even read it and I’ll put in for a chance to buy one if there’s any left.

MikeDuke
08-21-2020, 07:44 AM
Wow, At about 10:00 am EST there were 61 left of the numbered and maybe 9 lettered. These are going so fast. It's amazing.

zelig
08-21-2020, 08:00 AM
Looks like Fahrenheit 451 AGE will be shipping on Ray Bradbury’s birthday.

JeremyM
08-21-2020, 08:03 AM
Only 53 numbered and 6 lettered remain! I can’t believe any lettered will be available for a lottery, it’s just so awesome of a design. I haven’t even read it and I’ll put in for a chance to buy one if there’s any left.

I'll definitely being putting in for the lettered lottery as well, if there is one. Really like how the numbered follows the overall theme of the lettered, only with different materials.

jeffingoff
08-21-2020, 08:06 AM

AWESOME!!!

Brian861
08-21-2020, 08:23 AM
Wow, At about 10:00 am EST there were 61 left of the numbered and maybe 9 lettered. These are going so fast. It's amazing.

Pretty crazy isn't it, Mike. Outside of Misery; remember the time when we had days to decide on a purchase? When Horns sold out in 6 hours, I was like, man yes!, one of my all time favorite books will hold the record! And it hung in there through several more releases. Long gone are those days and we outsiders can only hope to jump back on with a shot at the lottery. Will be interesting to see if that's the case once the print run goes up for the numbered. The demand is oblivious there.

Wonders if this is truly a consequence :orely:

Splync
08-21-2020, 08:50 AM
Congrats to the winners!

I looked like a crazy person on my lunch break yesterday, unscrambling as many words as I could. I was convinced PAPER was part of the answer at the time.

GenericEric
08-21-2020, 09:00 AM
These Easter egg contests are fun! Other publishers should do stuff like this.

willie3
08-21-2020, 09:12 AM
Congratulations to the smart, savvy winners !!

Briefly looking at the circuit board, and working with circuit boards every day, I noticed the underlined letters in the component numbering. I didn’t recall ever seeing that before, but there were too many underlined A to make a word, so I went back to the dip switches, like so many others. Binary translation to alpha gave you the phrase with the extra letter at the end. Using a different translation protocol, that translated to a question mark. Couldn’t believe that was random, and frankly only had a few minutes to play with it while waiting for a co-worker, so that was the answer I submitted.
One funny note and I’ll shut up, in the book I am currently reading, one of the chapters I read two days ago was titled “Sic Itur ad Astra”. Should have remembered that phrase.

Another excellent, deeply personal, brain expanding contest by our beloved Paul.
Thank you for including us in this incredible journey you are on.

Brian861
08-21-2020, 09:13 AM

Huge congrats, Twan! Looking forward to seeing this beauty.

JeremyM
08-21-2020, 09:16 AM

Thornwillow has done a few - for their 'Sherlock Holmes Hexology' and 'Death on the Nile' releases and one for their upcoming 'Edgar Allen Poe: Tales, Mysteries and Contrivances' volume. The Poe one is still in flight - only 1 person has solved it. I've been banging my head on it since April - just can't solve the last clue.

jeffingoff
08-21-2020, 09:16 AM

He's sending it to me for a proper unboxing. :D

MikeDuke
08-21-2020, 09:18 AM
Yes it is Brian. These sell out so fast now. I think upping the number to 350 will help a bit. But it is amazing. That's why I am never stopping.

Brian861
08-21-2020, 09:22 AM

As only one should! Of course, the men in white coats would soon follow once you realized you couldn't keep it :)

St. Troy
08-21-2020, 09:27 AM
Thornwillow has done a few - for their 'Sherlock Holmes Hexology' and 'Death on the Nile' releases...

Did you happen to pick up the hexalogy? I don't have it, but those editions looked quite nice.

JeremyM
08-21-2020, 09:48 AM
Thornwillow has done a few - for their 'Sherlock Holmes Hexology' and 'Death on the Nile' releases...

Did you happen to pick up the hexalogy? I don't have it, but those editions looked quite nice.

Yes - it's a nice edition - though maybe not my favorite binding from Thornwillow. The printing and story selection are generally appealing. I understanding picking 'The Empty House' to go along with 'The Final Problem', but wish they'd included 'A Study in Scarlet instead.

Since you mentioned it, I'd add that half-leather editions of Sherlock Holmes Hexology are on offer as the 2nd/3rd place prizes for the current Poe themed contest. Not sure if the contest is open only to backers of the current volume or not.

Aremag
08-21-2020, 10:48 AM
Congrats to all the winners! I selfishly wish Suntup wouldn't be involved with Facebook. My refusal to ever re-enter that cesspool precludes me from ever getting a chance at Suntup goodies. I understand why Paul uses Facebook and I can't fault him for it. Anyways I still win when I open my Suntup boxes and see the wonders inside.

MikeDuke
08-21-2020, 10:54 AM
We need an update on the Status Update page. The last one was from the 11th. I am sure some stuff has been going on :biggrin:.

Joe315
08-21-2020, 10:54 AM
Congrats to all the winners! I selfishly wish Suntup wouldn't be involved with Facebook. My refusal to ever re-enter that cesspool precludes me from ever getting a chance at Suntup goodies. I understand why Paul uses Facebook and I can't fault him for it. Anyways I still win when I open my Suntup boxes and see the wonders inside.

I’m with you there. Although the most recent contest was through their website.

Aremag
08-21-2020, 10:57 AM

I’m with you there. Although the most recent contest was through their website.

Work precluded me from that one. :lol:

Ben Mears
08-21-2020, 10:58 AM
Thornwillow has done a few - for their 'Sherlock Holmes Hexology' .

Does anyone have a copy/photos of the Thornwillow's Sherlock Holmes Hexalogy? Can't tell much from the website.

St. Troy
08-21-2020, 11:31 AM
Does anyone have a copy/photos of the Thornwillow's Sherlock Holmes Hexalogy? Can't tell much from the website.

Sometimes the best photos are left behind on the Kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thornwillow/sherlock-holmes-hexalogy

Be sure to look at the scrolling list of pledge "rewards" on the right side of the page, specifically those over $1,000, which include some specialty copies of which only a few were to be made (three editions would have 6 copies, two would have only 1).

ZombieElvis
08-21-2020, 11:37 AM
on the subject of Suntup contests,
the Neuromancer contest was on the Suntup website , not facebook, the winner announcement was on facebook live, and those Suntup Live videos are awesome, you are truly missing out if your not catching them live! Arcs are indeed given away.
But arcs are also given away in this thread right here,
seems to me Suntup is trying hard (with great success) to include everyone.
When Paul went live to announce the three winners of the Neuromancer contest, he paused to take some time to talk about some very difficult times he went through before he started Suntup press. This was a very heartfelt and personal moment, and he talked to us like we were his family, not a customer base.

I don't know any other publisher that does this.

webstar1000
08-21-2020, 11:39 AM
the Neuromancer contest was on the Suntup website , not facebook, the winner announcement was on facebook live, and those Suntup Live videos are awesome, you are truly missing out if your not catching them live! Arcs are indeed given away.
When Paul went live to announce the three winners of the Neuromancer contest, he paused to take some time to talk about some very difficult times he went through before he started Suntup press. This was a very heartfelt and personal moment, and he talked to us like we were his family, not a customer base.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/ftdF4ZkueWGHBYc4b5/giphy.gif

zelig
08-21-2020, 11:55 AM
We need an update on the Status Update page. The last one was from the 11th. I am sure some stuff has been going on :biggrin:.

Mike you are right... thanks for keeping me on my toes! Several status updates just posted, and text messages will go out now.

jeffingoff
08-21-2020, 12:28 PM

Mike you are right... thanks for keeping me on my toes! Several status updates just posted, and text messages will go out now.

Mike’s a rough boss! But if anyone’s up to the task it’s you Paul.

You know I’m kidding Mike!

MikeDuke
08-21-2020, 12:55 PM

Mike’s a rough boss! But if anyone’s up to the task it’s you Paul.

You know I’m kidding Mike!

Yea, it's all good Jeff. But you don't want to see evil Mike. Not that Paul is doing anything to draw him out.... Just sayin.

GenericEric
08-21-2020, 12:58 PM
Maybe I'm just obsessive, but one of the first things I do when I get up is check all status updates from all the publishers I have orders with.

I have a big dumb grin on my face as I click on all the update/news links hoping for completed books and shipping announcements. CD hasn't had any new updates since July 9th. :angry:

Ben Mears
08-21-2020, 01:27 PM

Be sure to look at the scrolling list of pledge "rewards" on the right side of the page, specifically those over $1,000, which include some specialty copies of which only a few were to be made (three editions would have 6 copies, two would have only 1).

Thanks for the heads up. The leather-bound variations are very cool, especially the Speckled Band version.

burgerhicks80
08-21-2020, 01:48 PM
are these signed editions?

Br!an
08-21-2020, 02:07 PM

No one alive to sign them. It looks like everything is public domain.

swintek
08-21-2020, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up. The leather-bound variations are very cool, especially the Speckled Band version.

I'm with you on that Speckled Band edition. That's my kind of book, right there. $2500, though, so- I'll have to just admire the pics!

Noxus35
08-21-2020, 04:38 PM
Congrats to the winners!

I looked like a crazy person on my lunch break yesterday, unscrambling as many words as I could. I was convinced PAPER was part of the answer at the time.

Thank you! This was one part of my first combination but the rest just didn't make sense. So i started over again, trying different combinations until i finally found the (winning) combination.

I, somehow, just knew that this would be the correct answer. It felt right to me, and without any hesitation i submitted it.
When Paul announced yesterday he was doing the FB live, people started congratulating me in advance.
It was a different kind of awesomeness, deep down inside i knew i won but those minutes before the live feed started took forever and my heart was already pounding through the roof when it did.

You should have seen me sitting on the sofa watching Paul say : "You know who you are dude!", I just froze and at that point i knew i had won.

Congratulations to the smart, savvy winners !!

Thank you Willie3 !

https://media1.giphy.com/media/ftdF4ZkueWGHBYc4b5/giphy.gif

I couldn't agree more on this! [emoji1303]

Noxus35
08-21-2020, 04:51 PM

As only one should! Of course, the men in white coats would soon follow once you realized you couldn't keep it :)

Thank you very much Brian, i'll take photographs of it when it's done and in hands. It will be a gorgeous thing of beauty.

Hahahaha Jeff, watch out for those men. [emoji1787]

Br!an
08-22-2020, 03:45 AM
Lettered is sold out.

Six numbered remaining.

MikeDuke
08-22-2020, 05:07 AM
Now down to 5. Man this is going quick.

burgerhicks80
08-22-2020, 05:11 AM

No one alive to sign them. It looks like everything is public domain.

meaning by the contributors like artist and writers of the introductions

MikeDuke
08-22-2020, 05:34 AM
Down to 4 now. This may not even make it to the public and if it does, it's going to quick so be ready.

NiceM
08-22-2020, 05:38 AM
Down to 4 now. This may not even make it to the public and if it does, it's going to quick so be ready.

IF any are left it will be lottery right ?

Noxus35
08-22-2020, 06:08 AM

IF any are left it will be lottery right ?That would be the way to go with this outcome, i don't really see how any other option would be fair to others in this particular case. [emoji6]

On a little side note though; i finally received the AGE of Red Dragon, haven't opened it yet but i was wondering if anyone else had a round red sticker on the box. Was it something the shipping handler did or was it done at Suntup for some reason?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200822/9c3983203a1f66adf67115c2279c0363.jpg

RichardX
08-22-2020, 06:26 AM
Maybe I'm just obsessive, but one of the first things I do when I get up is check all status updates from all the publishers I have orders with.

I have a big dumb grin on my face as I click on all the update/news links hoping for completed books and shipping announcements. CD hasn't had any new updates since July 9th. :angry:

You will drive yourself insane checking on the status of CD books. There are some that are overdue by years now with no end in sight.

stroppygoblin
08-22-2020, 07:00 AM
i was wondering if anyone else had a round red sticker on the box. Was it something the shipping handler did or was it done at Suntup for some reason?]

Thats the Suntup Schrödinger sticker. It means that there may or may not be a bonus item included. Either exists as a possible reality whilst the box is sealed...

Brian861
08-22-2020, 08:11 AM
How many copies remain for the lottery?

GypsyDRB
08-22-2020, 08:14 AM
How many copies remain for the lottery? 4

Brian861
08-22-2020, 08:23 AM

Less than LTROI I believe.

jeffingoff
08-22-2020, 08:24 AM

Yeah. There were 11 for LTROI

Brian861
08-22-2020, 08:55 AM

Wow. Friends don't let friends jump off the train, Jeff. You have failed me :cry:

Honestly, I'm pretty sure you tried to talk me down lol.

jeffingoff
08-22-2020, 09:01 AM

Wow. Friends don't let friends jump off the train, Jeff. You have failed me :cry:

I believe I tried. I do know I pointed out that Hill House was from the super low launch print run of just 185--shared only by Misery--without the AGE option that Misery had. But the heart wants what the heart wants and yours was horny for Horns. And it still is. You did right by your goals. And of course, the pandemic slapped some money around as Paul ramped up production. So there's that.

If I can get my hands on a Neuromancer lettered edition and hack the circuit board to transport me back in time, I will be more forceful in my consultation to stay on the train after I buy an EOTD Portfolio to secure my numbered Misery.

Noxus35
08-22-2020, 09:17 AM

I believe I tried. I do know I pointed out that Hill House was from the super low launch print run of just 185--shared only by Misery--without the AGE option that Misery had. But the heart wants what the heart wants and yours was horny for Horns. And it still is. You did right by your goals. And of course, the pandemic slapped some money around as Paul ramped up production. So there's that.

If I can get my hands on a Neuromancer lettered edition and hack the circuit board to transport me back in time, I will be more forceful in my consultation to stay on the train after I buy an EOTD Portfolio to secure my numbered Misery.

Great scott!

I could try to hack it for you, i'll read up on the time travelling topic and get back to you when i have that circuitry board in hand. :smile_002:

Brian861
08-22-2020, 09:21 AM

Well, Bill and Ted are making it happen one more time so why not! And you're right; this damn Covid contributed to the derail without a doubt. I did purchase my lottery ticket though :)

Brian861
08-22-2020, 09:24 AM
Great scott!

I could try to hack it for you, i'll read up on the time travelling topic and get back to you when i have that circuitry board in hand. :smile_002:

If anyone can do it, it's you, Twan :)

jeffingoff
08-22-2020, 09:34 AM

Well, Bill and Ted are making it happen one more time so why not! And you're right; this damn Covid contributed to the derail without a doubt. I did purchase my lottery ticket though :)

Good luck!!!

Brian861
08-22-2020, 09:36 AM

Good luck!!!

Thanks, buddy!

ZombieElvis
08-22-2020, 10:41 AM

just a word on that?
going back in time and messing with the natural order of things may or may not alter our time reality , one tiny change and Paul Suntup could start his own fine press publishing hand made paperback editions of the entire V C Andrews catalogue.
Just sayin'

Ivo
08-22-2020, 10:46 AM
Received the red envelope for Red Dragon yesterday, thanks Paul, no procrastination in your blood!
Also all the accolades for the Red Dragon Editions are very true. Their Cannot be enough praise for such beautiful books.
All I keep saying to my self is “sun(tup) of a bitch, why did I pass on the AGE!”

zelig
08-22-2020, 11:34 AM
Received the red envelope for Red Dragon yesterday, thanks Paul, no procrastination in your blood!
Also all the accolades for the Red Dragon Editions are very true. Their Cannot be enough praise for such beautiful books.
All I keep saying to my self is “sun(tup) of a bitch, why did I pass on the AGE!”

Thank you, appreciate that!

zelig
08-22-2020, 11:37 AM
All customer orders for the AGE of Fahrenheit 451 have shipped. Although I knew the book would publish around this time, it's great to have been able to ship them on this day.

Happy Birthday Mr. Bradbury.

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/bradbury.jpg

Br!an
08-22-2020, 11:44 AM
Sun(tup) of a bitch!”

Thank you , appreciate that!

:wtf:

Brian861
08-22-2020, 12:00 PM
Very cool, Paul!

MikeDuke
08-22-2020, 12:05 PM
This was a mighty impressive sale. Congrats on another stunning book Paul. And like I keep saying, I am never getting off this train.

Brian861
08-22-2020, 12:12 PM
This was a mighty impressive sale. Congrats on another stunning book Paul. And like I keep saying, I am never getting off this train.

'bout time to stage a train robbery, boys :evil::shoot:

MikeDuke
08-22-2020, 12:15 PM

'bout time to stage a train robbery, boys :evil::shoot:
You me and Jeff. Yea, that's the way it's got to be.

MikeDuke
08-22-2020, 12:17 PM
And the Sept announcement has me intrigued as well. A classic horror. I am all in for 70's horror.

Splync
08-22-2020, 02:11 PM
So will any remaining copies of the September title be distributed via another lottery? Or will there be... an auction??

burgerhicks80
08-22-2020, 02:21 PM
So will any remaining copies of the September title be distributed via another lottery? Or will there be... an auction??

depends on how many are left after the pre-sale

Br!an
08-22-2020, 02:42 PM

depends on how many are left after the pre-sale

Once the number produced increases the lottery will not be necessary. (At least for a while.)