PDA

View Full Version : Suntup Editions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

Joe315
08-03-2020, 12:28 PM
I threw down The Girl with all the Gifts and The Reapers Are the Angels

NiceM
08-03-2020, 12:32 PM
I pleaded for The Secret History again. Any chance you would go for Tartt's work again Paul? Or did the Goldfinch effort result in closed doors forever? Also please publish The Hobbit. I can wait til september 2nd 2043 :)

Randall Flagg
08-03-2020, 01:01 PM
Suggestion #1 - Fifty Shades of Grey
Suggestion #2 - a matching buttplug paperweight

Pos rep for that.

lotuz
08-03-2020, 02:43 PM
I think I wiped a tear when I saw The Butcher Boy among the list of titles. Just that it's a consideration is amazing. Thank you.

Just looked this up on Amazon and immediately ordered! This and Night Film are two books I'd never heard of until people mentioned them in the context of this survey but seem right up my alley.

Once Suntup did an edition of Madison County, I figure anything is game. For the fill-in-the-blanks, I suggested:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the original art by Joseph Schindleman. Replacing his work with a different artist for that book and my interest would drop considerably, but a Suntup edition with that artwork would be the prize possession of my collection.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

If there had been another, I would have suggested Jurassic Park.

Every time there's an open ended question about possible Suntup books you bring up Margaret Atwood and every time I wholeheartedly agree. It's a damn shame that none of her stuff has been given the deluxe treatment! She's written lots of stuff that I couldn't really get into but her best stuff is really good (The Handmaid's Tale, The Blind Assassin, and the Maddaddam trilogy are my favorites).

jeffingoff
08-03-2020, 03:16 PM
I think I wiped a tear when I saw The Butcher Boy among the list of titles. Just that it's a consideration is amazing. Thank you.

Just looked this up on Amazon and immediately ordered! This and Night Film are two books I'd never heard of until people mentioned them in the context of this survey but seem right up my alley.

Once Suntup did an edition of Madison County, I figure anything is game. For the fill-in-the-blanks, I suggested:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the original art by Joseph Schindleman. Replacing his work with a different artist for that book and my interest would drop considerably, but a Suntup edition with that artwork would be the prize possession of my collection.

Every time there's an open ended question about possible Suntup books you bring up Margaret Atwood and every time I wholeheartedly agree. It's a damn shame that none of her stuff has been given the deluxe treatment! She's written lots of stuff that I couldn't really get into but her best stuff is really good (The Handmaid's Tale, The Blind Assassin, and the Maddaddam trilogy are my favorites).

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I got a signed first edition off of eBay for $8. So there’s not a ton of love for it.

EDIT: McCabe’s Emerald Germs of Ireland is also genius!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoctorZaius
08-03-2020, 03:27 PM
I put in Battle Royale and Necroscope.

jeffingoff
08-03-2020, 03:40 PM

NECROSCOPE would be fantastic

DoctorZaius
08-03-2020, 03:48 PM

NECROSCOPE would be fantastic

Sub Press did one a few years back, but something from Paul would do the series justice. What a great series.

zelig
08-03-2020, 04:01 PM
Thank you to all those who submitted the survey. These are really helpful to me so that I can target the most requested titles. Sometimes the results are surprising. Lots of chatter about Murakami, but 46% chose "None of the above" for that list. Still, there's enough interest to possibly go after one of these.

It's only on there because of you.

I pleaded for The Secret History again. Any chance you would go for Tartt's work again Paul? Or did the Goldfinch effort result in closed doors forever?

I don't know that doors are closed forever in this business. Maybe some are, but many aren't. But this is not a priority for me based on the response to Goldfinch. We'll see.

webstar1000
08-03-2020, 04:22 PM
Thank you to all those who submitted the survey. These are really helpful to me so that I can target the most requested titles. Sometimes the results are surprising. Lots of chatter about Murakami, but 46% chose "None of the above" for that list. Still, there's enough interest to possibly go after one of these.

I pleaded for The Secret History again. Any chance you would go for Tartt's work again Paul? Or did the Goldfinch effort result in closed doors forever?

I don't know that doors are closed forever in this business. Maybe some are, but many aren't. But this is not a priority for me based on the response to Goldfinch. We'll see.

Did many choose Blake?

jeffingoff
08-03-2020, 04:28 PM

I assumed as much. Thanks for giving it some daylight.

Randall Flagg
08-03-2020, 04:57 PM
Rex Miller-Slob (I know it's been done, but not to its greatest potential, and unfortunately Miller is deceased).

Robert McCammon-Boy's Life (Arguably McCammons best novel).

HorrorfanTom
08-03-2020, 05:00 PM
Rex Miller-Slob (I know it's been done, but not to its greatest potential, and unfortunately Miller is deceased).

Yes Boy's Life! One of my all time favorites

Splync
08-03-2020, 05:10 PM

YES! I didn't even consider McCammon, given the editions that Sub Press recently did.

GenericEric
08-03-2020, 05:16 PM

I recently bought the SubPress S/L edition of Boy's Life for $400. Thought that was a pretty good deal. Glad to add that beauty to my collection.

I'm hoping someone does a limited of Gone South eventually. That's one of the 2 or 3 of his books that haven't had the limited treatment yet.

zelig
08-03-2020, 05:25 PM
Did many choose Blake?

10%

Randall Flagg
08-03-2020, 05:36 PM

I recently bought the SubPress S/L edition of Boy's Life for $400. Thought that was a pretty good deal. Glad to add that beauty to my collection.

I'm hoping someone does a limited of Gone South eventually. That's one of the 2 or 3 of his books that haven't had the limited treatment yet.
Great story, but not sure if it's worth the Suntup treatment.

Ari_Racing
08-03-2020, 05:39 PM

I suggested Boy's Life as well.

GenericEric
08-03-2020, 05:44 PM

Great story, but not sure if it's worth the Suntup treatment.

Probably not. I think if it gets done it'll likely be SubPress

Patrick
08-03-2020, 06:59 PM

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the original art by Joseph Schindelman. Replacing his work with a different artist for that book and my interest would drop considerably, but a Suntup edition with that artwork would be the prize possession of my collection.

I would have suggested the entire Maddaddam Trilogy but I didn’t want to get greedy, so I went with just the first book. If rights are available, The Handmaid’s Tale would be the obvious, safe choice and no one would question it, but doing the Maddaddam Trilogy would be glorious.

I own The Blind Assassin but haven’t gotten to it. I’ll move it up the list on your recommendation. Thanks. (Butcher Boy is on my To Read list as well thanks to Jeff.)

ZombieElvis
08-03-2020, 07:56 PM
on the survey i requested Geek Love by Katherine Dunn and The Cipher by Kathe Koja,
https://scontent.fbed1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/106340932_3045245525542684_5958337014330097410_n.j pg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=FovIrdbRl5MAX8kRHnV&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-2.fna&oh=c7110cc6b25fb8563bc7e3f5a432beeb&oe=5F4F17BB
https://scontent.fbed1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/105901392_3045245205542716_3680996449651683295_o.j pg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=SAsZwRwi9cMAX-scuiw&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-1.fna&oh=a734c9e57bc57ba828f5519401787f2f&oe=5F4F90B9

CyberGhostface
08-03-2020, 08:06 PM
One book I suggested was ‘The Girl Next Door’ by Jack Ketchum. There was already a limited edition signed by Ketchum, Stephen King and a number of other contributors so I guess jury’s out if there should be another one but it might be a nice way to pay tribute to Ketchum. ‘Off Season’ is another but Dark Regions did it recently.

daniel_pyle
08-04-2020, 12:04 AM

Jurassic Park was one of my suggestions (Lord of the Flies was the other). It's always been one of my favorite books and I'd love to see a top-quality edition.

webstar1000
08-04-2020, 03:05 AM

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the original art by Joseph Schindelman. Replacing his work with a different artist for that book and my interest would drop considerably, but a Suntup edition with that artwork would be the prize possession of my collection.

I would have suggested the entire Maddaddam Trilogy but I didn’t want to get greedy, so I went with just the first book. If rights are available, The Handmaid’s Tale would be the obvious, safe choice and no one would question it, but doing the Maddaddam Trilogy would be glorious.

I own The Blind Assassin but haven’t gotten to it. I’ll move it up the list on your recommendation. Thanks. (Butcher Boy is on my To Read list as well thanks to Jeff.)

Is the Madaddam Trilogy good?

Ben Mears
08-04-2020, 03:48 AM
Winnie The Pooh/The House At Pooh Corner with original art by Ernest Shepard and Friday Night Lights by HG Bissinger bound in actual Wilson football leather with laces on the spine.

Cook
08-04-2020, 04:58 AM

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory sounds interesting, a Suntup treatment could be amazing.
My vote (other than the obvious king titles) would be for anything Cormac McCarthy, anything Thomas Harris, and Lonesome Dove.
There are a ton more but for now..

MikeDuke
08-04-2020, 06:06 AM
All three versions of Red Dragon are getting ready to be shipped. I hope I my AGE goes out the same time as the numbered, because I ordered them at different times. But still very excited :dance::excited:.

webstar1000
08-04-2020, 06:15 AM
All three versions of Red Dragon are getting ready to be shipped. I hope I my AGE goes out the same time as the numbered, because I ordered them at different times. But still very excited :dance::excited:.

Not the lettered

MikeDuke
08-04-2020, 06:19 AM

Not the lettered
I noticed that as well on the status page. I wonder why the email said all three ed though. Oh well. At least two are going out.

Alec
08-04-2020, 06:22 AM
All day with Richard on ‘Lonesome Dove’.
‘Comanche Moon’ was equally as good.
Two of the best books I have read. To have both from Suntup would be special.

DoctorZaius
08-04-2020, 06:24 AM
on the survey i requested Geek Love by Katherine Dunn and The Cipher by Kathe Koja,
https://scontent.fbed1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/106340932_3045245525542684_5958337014330097410_n.j pg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=FovIrdbRl5MAX8kRHnV&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-2.fna&oh=c7110cc6b25fb8563bc7e3f5a432beeb&oe=5F4F17BB
https://scontent.fbed1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/105901392_3045245205542716_3680996449651683295_o.j pg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=SAsZwRwi9cMAX-scuiw&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-1.fna&oh=a734c9e57bc57ba828f5519401787f2f&oe=5F4F90B9

Geek Love is an amazing choice. One of my all time favorite books, and I am lucky enough to have 1/32 special editions done of it.

Click to see this post from my collections page.
You might be surprised to know that of all my limited editions, the one I most treasure is NOT a Stephen King one. Not even my limited edition of The Stand can touch this treasure - this book was my Holy Grail! When I came across the blog on 100 greatest books of all time I immediately nominated, Geek Love, by Katherine Dunn. To my surprise no seems to have read it. This National Book Award nominee is one of, if not the, favorite book of mine. It's an unforgettable tale of a family of circus freaks (the mother actually ingests drugs during pregnancy to continue the family tradition in deformity). The novel is just crazy, and it comes with my highest recommendation. By chance I came across someone who had heard that there was a limited edition of the book - a rarer than rare limited edition. Only 32 copies were produced (only 26 of which were offered for sale) - all were lettered. There was no numbered edition. Artist Mare Blocker created a stunning limited edition for the ages. The case is done in the shape of a circus tent (notice the raised tent shape on the front and title on the rear). The multi-color interior boards create an oddly festive feeling for such a strange book. The article on the book mentions one of the interior one-of-a-kind interior pieces, Aqua Boy. Arturo (Aqua Boy) is the main antagonist of the book - Arturo has no hands and feet and actually begins his own cult following with people cutting thier own hands and feet off in effigy! Great Stuff!!!" My copy, as you can see, is Aqua Boy (Letter 'E' - real treat to have with the article that mentions him. Arturo himself is slightly raised in the artwork. I can't begin to tell you how hard to worked to get this one. I hope that this intrigues enough of you to give the book a try - it's amazing!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3629.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3640.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3643.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3630.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3642.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3632.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3634.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3633.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3636.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3637.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3638.jpg

sullichin
08-04-2020, 06:31 AM
Anyone else who got the Red Dragon shipping email:

email subject "Red Dragon AGE Shipping - Confirm Address"

However, I ordered the number edition. I logged into my account to make sure that I wasn't going crazy. Did everyone else get the same subject?

Can't wait!

MikeDuke
08-04-2020, 06:38 AM

However, I ordered the number edition. I logged into my account to make sure that I wasn't going crazy. Did everyone else get the same subject?

Can't wait!
Yep mine said the same thing. I ordered both and both look like they are ready to go. I ordered them at different times though.

BadHatHarry
08-04-2020, 06:40 AM
I went a different direction - I'd love to see Travels by Crichton given a proper treatment. It's long been one of my all-time favorite books.

shaq
08-04-2020, 06:43 AM

Can't wait!

Me too. Title says AGE, but the body of text says all editions.

Suntup status shows case making complete for age and numbered. Very good day.

This is THE (none king) book!

webstar1000
08-04-2020, 06:59 AM
Im sure Paul will let us know what it ready to go! I hope all of them haha

George at C-Springs
08-04-2020, 07:04 AM

You literally couldn't ask for a better book to apply my scratch-n-sniff idea to, it would be absolutely perfect!

Ah, but how hard would it be NOT to scratch the scratch-n-sniffs? Could you avoid the olfactory temptations of Wonka's Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemellow Delight, Fizzy Lifting Drinks, and Square Sweets That Look Round? Would you be able to keep your kids from licking the Lickable Wallpaper? How long would the scents of Swudge, Everlasting Gobstoppers, Snozberries, and ... ohhhh... the Chocolate River wafting through the air drive you crazy before you did something about it? Why, just the very thought! Of course, you could always just get TWO copies, one with which to indulge your every childhood whim and the other to keep "mint" (ha ha).

The gift edition? Why, the wraps could be candy wraps. The numbered? A swirling of different colored chocolates. The Lettered ... the lettered ... the letters themselves could be made of peppermint and put under a clear mount embedded in the cover. Or, to make the temptation worse, in the spirit of Regulator checks and Blockade Billy baseball cards the letters could actually be moulded into chocolate, individually wrapped, and accessible in a small separate gift box ... so you'd forever be torn between eating or not eating your letter.

Or, of course, all the above could be for the numbered, but for the lettered ... the letters are each emblazoned upon a Golden Ticket. Or maybe both the numbered AND lettered are on golden tickets, but while the numbered are, say, a gold foil, the lettered tickets are done up in beautiful gold leaf.

Paul, this is the opportunity of a lifetime to create a book as never has been seen! Remember, "Invention is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." The rest is up to you!!!

Splync
08-04-2020, 07:17 AM
But how long until the moulded chocolate becomes moldy chocolate?

George at C-Springs
08-04-2020, 07:28 AM
But how long until the moulded chocolate becomes moldy chocolate

Ah, but the lettered chocolate bar is actually MADE to be eaten, a scrumptious bonus from Paul to his customers. Otherwise you could do a dark hard chocolate, those last forever. Thirty years from now the difference in value between books could lie with the state of preservation of the chocolate letter!

Kongo
08-04-2020, 07:31 AM
I think Paul should be gifted a chocolate bust of his head now

Cook
08-04-2020, 07:42 AM
I think Paul should be gifted a chocolate bust of his head now

My mind immediately thought of one of the many DT.org groupies nibbling on the ear of the bust or a long slow lick up the side of his face. LOL
I meant that in a purely tasteful way.
Man.. I really crack me up.

George at C-Springs
08-04-2020, 07:50 AM
*or a long slow lick up the side of his face

Bet you won't see THAT in a teaser or reveal video.

Tell me more about these DT.org groupies; is there a sign-up list to get one of your own? I think that's what's missing in my life, I don't have any groupies.

NiceM
08-04-2020, 10:20 AM

Totally understandable. I'll look forward to Gaiman's Neverwhere then :)

ZombieElvis
08-04-2020, 11:22 AM

Geek Love is an amazing choice. One of my all time favorite books, and I am lucky enough to have 1/32 special editions done of it.

You might be surprised to know that of all my limited editions, the one I most treasure is NOT a Stephen King one. Not even my limited edition of The Stand can touch this treasure - this book was my Holy Grail! When I came across the blog on 100 greatest books of all time I immediately nominated, Geek Love, by Katherine Dunn. To my surprise no seems to have read it. This National Book Award nominee is one of, if not the, favorite book of mine. It's an unforgettable tale of a family of circus freaks (the mother actually ingests drugs during pregnancy to continue the family tradition in deformity). The novel is just crazy, and it comes with my highest recommendation. By chance I came across someone who had heard that there was a limited edition of the book - a rarer than rare limited edition. Only 32 copies were produced (only 26 of which were offered for sale) - all were lettered. There was no numbered edition. Artist Mare Blocker created a stunning limited edition for the ages. The case is done in the shape of a circus tent (notice the raised tent shape on the front and title on the rear). The multi-color interior boards create an oddly festive feeling for such a strange book. The article on the book mentions one of the interior one-of-a-kind interior pieces, Aqua Boy. Arturo (Aqua Boy) is the main antagonist of the book - Arturo has no hands and feet and actually begins his own cult following with people cutting thier own hands and feet off in effigy! Great Stuff!!!" My copy, as you can see, is Aqua Boy (Letter 'E' - real treat to have with the article that mentions him. Arturo himself is slightly raised in the artwork. I can't begin to tell you how hard to worked to get this one. I hope that this intrigues enough of you to give the book a try - it's amazing!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3629.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3640.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3643.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3630.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3642.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3632.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3634.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3633.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3637.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3638.jpg

WOW!!!!! i have never heard of that limited edition Geek Love before!
the search begins!
I still want a Suntup edition Geek Love too
Thank you for showing us this! Stunning!

Hunchback Jack
08-04-2020, 11:55 AM
I tried to choose books that haven't been done by other publishers, hence:

1) Mystery, by Peter Straub. Why there is no S/L of this book baffles me.
2) Hannibal, by Thomas Harris. (Since SubPress did SotL).

HBJ

Nemoh21
08-04-2020, 12:48 PM
Well my first request will never happen but I went with Blood Meridian. It’s my favorite book ever so I had to put it up there. And for my second choice I went with Slaughterhouse Five. I feel like it’s a really good fit for a Suntup edition. Good blend of classic literature and sci fi.

MikeDuke
08-04-2020, 12:57 PM
I also put Slaughterhouse Five and Breakfast of Champions. I also think Another Road Side Attraction by Tom Robbins would be cool. Plus he is living so a sig may be possible.

DoctorZaius
08-04-2020, 01:00 PM

WOW!!!!! i have never heard of that limited edition Geek Love before!
the search begins!
I still want a Suntup edition Geek Love too
Thank you for showing us this! Stunning!

There is one on ABE: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=19188965021&searchurl=sortby%3D1%26tn%3Dgeek%2Blove&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

zelig
08-04-2020, 03:27 PM

Can't wait!

That was a mistake. I was originally sending out the email to AGE buyers only, but the Numbered ended up getting done in time, so I changed the content of the email, but forgot to change the subject. Numbered and AGE will ship at the same time. The Lettered will ship about 1-2 weeks after that. Since it was so close I just took care of all three editions with the one "Have you Moved" email. Mystery solved!

GypsyDRB
08-04-2020, 03:54 PM
Well my first request will never happen but I went with Blood Meridian. It’s my favorite book ever so I had to put it up there. And for my second choice I went with Slaughterhouse Five. I feel like it’s a really good fit for a Suntup edition. Good blend of classic literature and sci fi.

Why do you think Blood Meridian is a non starter? I put that in the survey as well. I've imagined a Francois Vaillancourt illustrated Suntup edition that would sell 750 AGE's easily...don't get me started on how on fire the #'ed or Lettered would be...

webstar1000
08-04-2020, 03:55 PM

Why do you think Blood Meridian is a non starter? I put that in the survey as well. I've imagined a Francois Vaillancourt illustrated Suntup edition that would sell 750 AGE's easily...don't get me started on how on fire the #'ed or Lettered would be...

I’m
Waiting for the day Francois gets a Suntup. He is my favourite artist working today other than Whelan.

Randall Flagg
08-04-2020, 03:56 PM
One word:

American Psycho

webstar1000
08-04-2020, 03:56 PM
One word:

American Psyco

That’s two though. Haha but I hear ya loud and clear!

Randall Flagg
08-04-2020, 04:07 PM
One word:

American Psyco

Was hoping the "one word" would get attention.

Nemoh21
08-04-2020, 04:34 PM

Well I know Paul has done 2 Shirley Jackson books so it’s not out of the realm of possibilities that he does a second mccarthy book but I just think it’s unlikely he does another anytime soon with all of the other possibilities out there of authors he hasn’t published yet. Also I don’t think Mccarthy would actually agree to sign any of the editions because he doesn’t really sign anything anymore. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t be published like the road was. I guess my point is I just think it’s unlikely unfortunately. But that’s just my very very uneducated opinion. Lol. I agree though it would be an amazing edition

burgerhicks80
08-04-2020, 04:57 PM

Well I know Paul has done 2 Shirley Jackson books so it’s not out of the realm of possibilities that he does a second mccarthy book but I just think it’s unlikely he does another anytime soon with all of the other possibilities out there of authors he hasn’t published yet. Also I don’t think Mccarthy would actually agree to sign any of the editions because he doesn’t really sign anything anymore. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t be published like the road was. I guess my point is I just think it’s unlikely unfortunately. But that’s just my very very uneducated opinion. Lol. I agree though it would be an amazing edition

someone mentioned that he will only not sign The Road.

Nemoh21
08-04-2020, 05:03 PM
Yes he won’t sign the road because he only signed x amount of copies for his son upon release. Generally speaking though he just doesn’t sign much of anything. Like there isn’t much of his signed out there of any edition

GenericEric
08-04-2020, 07:45 PM
Really looking forward to Red Dragon. The AGE at $65 was an absolute steal!

Don't think we'll be seeing that price for an AGE again. I can understand why though. I'm sure with some of those AGE's you had to have been losing money.

BadHatHarry
08-04-2020, 07:53 PM
Paul, I’m going to further lobby for a Suntup edition of American Gods. It’s one of my all-time favorites.

Patrick
08-04-2020, 10:38 PM

You literally couldn't ask for a better book to apply my scratch-n-sniff idea to, it would be absolutely perfect!

Ah, but how hard would it be NOT to scratch the scratch-n-sniffs? Could you avoid the olfactory temptations of Wonka's Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemellow Delight, Fizzy Lifting Drinks, and Square Sweets That Look Round? Would you be able to keep your kids from licking the Lickable Wallpaper? How long would the scents of Swudge, Everlasting Gobstoppers, Snozberries, and ... ohhhh... the Chocolate River wafting through the air drive you crazy before you did something about it? Why, just the very thought! Of course, you could always just get TWO copies, one with which to indulge your every childhood whim and the other to keep "mint" (ha ha).

The gift edition? Why, the wraps could be candy wraps. The numbered? A swirling of different colored chocolates. The Lettered ... the lettered ... the letters themselves could be made of peppermint and put under a clear mount embedded in the cover. Or, to make the temptation worse, in the spirit of Regulator checks and Blockade Billy baseball cards the letters could actually be moulded into chocolate, individually wrapped, and accessible in a small separate gift box ... so you'd forever be torn between eating or not eating your letter.

Or, of course, all the above could be for the numbered, but for the lettered ... the letters are each emblazoned upon a Golden Ticket. Or maybe both the numbered AND lettered are on golden tickets, but while the numbered are, say, a gold foil, the lettered tickets are done up in beautiful gold leaf.

Paul, this is the opportunity of a lifetime to create a book as never has been seen! Remember, "Invention is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." The rest is up to you!!!

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!!!

In regards to various comments upthread:

Enthusiastic YES to Lord of the Flies. I might even put that ahead of Jurassic Park on my Suntup wishlist. Lonesome Dove also would be amazing.

Any limited edition that Cormac McCarthy agrees to sign would be fantastic.

I agree with Kris that Francois is a very talented artist who would be great for the right Suntup production.

I love Vonnegut dearly. Breakfast of Champions and Slaughter House-Five get all the special editions - many signed by the author before he passed away. I would be happy with either of those, but even happier if Suntup chose another book of his.

I feel mostly the same way about Gaiman. The Hill House signed limited edition of American Gods is beautiful and it even comes with a matching numbered softcover reading copy. Why try to improve on Hill House when Gaiman has written so many other books that have only lesser quality special editions?

Patrick
08-04-2020, 11:20 PM

Is the Madaddam Trilogy good?
If you like a weird dystopian future, some of which seems within the realm of possibility, read Oryx and Crake. Interested in your impressions. If it grabs you, read the others.

OldCrow88
08-05-2020, 02:55 AM
Paul, I’m going to further lobby for a Suntup edition of American Gods. It’s one of my all-time favorites.

I used one of my two "picks" on American Gods. I answered Neverwhere in the Neil Gaiman list. That way I got two of Neil's into my request list. Love his books. I'd also love to delegate publishing a full library of Neil's work to Lyra's Books but I'm certain that would drive Rich insane! Meantime, Paul having a go at one would be awesome.

Side-note that I sacrificed Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt. Really would be cool to see it get the Suntup treatment. Just the thought of what Paul would do with stitching on the cover gives me creeps.

KKTara
08-05-2020, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=zelig;1211508]Thank you to all those who submitted the survey. These are really helpful to me so that I can target the most requested titles. Sometimes the results are surprising. Lots of chatter about Murakami, but 46% chose "None of the above" for that list. Still, there's enough interest to possibly go after one of these.]

Love the survey, Paul! It's clear that you take input from your customers into consideration & I think that's awesome! Any chance you would release the full survey results? Would love to see what books my fellow Suntup fans are clamoring for.

Patrick
08-05-2020, 08:14 AM

Love the survey, Paul! It's clear that you take input from your customers into consideration & I think that's awesome! Any chance you would release the full survey results? Would love to see what books my fellow Suntup fans are clamoring for.
I wish I had taken a screenshot as I went along through the survey so I could remember all the choices. It occurred to me at the end, but there was no back button on the survey.

Noxus35
08-05-2020, 08:25 AM
One word:

American Psycho

Lol 🤣

But it got my vote too, along with Darkly Dreaming Dexter and The Impossible Times trilogy.
I do wonder though how many people voted for all of these books, i already have a matching signed/limited set of The Impossible Times trilogy but still it would be cool to add a Suntup edition next to it. 🙃

Nemoh21
08-05-2020, 08:25 AM
I remember seeing The Troop on there by Nick Cutter. I remember reading it and I liked it. It wasn’t something I’d put down as a all time favorite but it was fun. I would love to see artwork for it though in a limited edition. There are some really gory horrific gross parts in that book that would make some great illustrations

webstar1000
08-05-2020, 08:27 AM
There were A LOT of books I didn't know on the survey. I feel that I have expanded my horizons a LOT since Suntup. I decided to read every one and NOW I am reading ones that "might be a Suntup". IF ANYTHING... I will thank Paul for that. So many new books I have tried that I would not have. Have I liked them all? No.... but I have not hated any of them either..

MikeDuke
08-05-2020, 08:41 AM
There were A LOT of books I didn't know on the survey. I feel that I have expanded my horizons a LOT since Suntup. I decided to read every one and NOW I am reading ones that "might be a Suntup". IF ANYTHING... I will thank Paul for that. So many new books I have tried that I would not have. Have I liked them all? No.... but I have not hated any of them either..
I agree. I knew some, but there were a lot I did not. I feel Suntup is going to expand my reading list beyond King and I thank Paul for doing that.

St. Troy
08-05-2020, 08:45 AM
I can't afford the time to hunt down and read everything Suntup publishes, but I agree that Suntup's "seal of approval" (so to speak) means something to me, just as historical or biographical works produced by Folio Society tend to be notable ones worth consideration (I at least look into everything Suntup publishes, and while FS' history is too long to even examine them all, I've looked into quite a few).

jeffingoff
08-05-2020, 08:48 AM

Agree with this! I never had any desire to read Rosemary's Baby and after reading the AGE, it's one of my favorite books. Perfectly done. And I had planned on reading I Am Legend, Brother, and Haunting of Hill House, but never had a fire under my ass for them. They got pushed up the list as Suntup editions and I thought they were all exceptional reads. And that's not to mention all the books I've loved that became SE's--THE ROAD (!), Red Dragon, Fahrenheit 451, 1984. I remember when I heard Suntup was doing Misery I thought "it's about time a publisher recognized this King book and gave it the special treatment it deserves." So I trust Paul to pick excellent books.

If Paul thinks it's worth doing, I'll definitely think it's worth reading.

Patrick
08-05-2020, 08:50 AM
This is great, Kris. What a fun, motivating reason to read books we may not have otherwise. Suntup Editions spurred me to read Brother and Haunting of Hill House. Currently reading Rosemary’s Baby and then will read LTROI. That leaves Bibliomysteries remaining unread for me. We’ll see what the next announcements bring.

EdiT: I still need to read Red Dragon as well.

BadHatHarry
08-05-2020, 09:22 AM
One word:

American Psycho

Lol 🤣

But it got my vote too, along with Darkly Dreaming Dexter and The Impossible Times trilogy.
I do wonder though how many people voted for all of these books, i already have a matching signed/limited set of The Impossible Times trilogy but still it would be cool to add a Suntup edition next to it. 🙃

I voted for both American Psycho and Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I did wonder if Paul gets somewhat concerned about customers based on which books they select.

GypsyDRB
08-05-2020, 09:39 AM
One word:

American Psycho

Lol 🤣

I voted for both American Psycho and Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I did wonder if Paul gets somewhat concerned about customers based on which books they select.

Hmmm, this gentle(wo)man has picked 3 books in a row about cannabalism...where's that ignore / mute button again?:tongue1:

Lurker
08-05-2020, 09:42 AM
I wish I had taken a screenshot as I went along through the survey so I could remember all the choices. It occurred to me at the end, but there was no back button on the survey.

Just click on the email button like you were taking it. It comes up again even tho I've taken the survey.

Patrick
08-05-2020, 09:49 AM

Just click on the email button like you were taking it. It comes up again even tho I've taken the survey.
*facepalm* You’re a genius!

zelig
08-05-2020, 09:53 AM

I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to releasing the results, and also we don't typically do that. These surveys are primarily to assist us in the decision making process. I want to publish books that our customers are asking for, and this is the perfect way to do that. When you have 900 submissions, you get a very good picture of what the majority are asking for.

I can't afford the time to hunt down and read everything Suntup publishes, but I agree that Suntup's "seal of approval" (so to speak) means something to me, just as historical or biographical works produced by Folio Society tend to be notable ones worth consideration (I at least look into everything Suntup publishes, and while FS' history is too long to even examine them all, I've looked into quite a few).

Agree with this! I never had any desire to read Rosemary's Baby and after reading the AGE, it's one of my favorite books. Perfectly done. And I had planned on reading I Am Legend, Brother, and Haunting of Hill House, but never had a fire under my ass for them. They got pushed up the list as Suntup editions and I thought they were all exceptional reads. And that's not to mention all the books I've loved that became SE's--THE ROAD (!), Red Dragon, Fahrenheit 451, 1984. I remember when I heard Suntup was doing Misery I thought "it's about time a publisher recognized this King book and gave it the special treatment it deserves." So I trust Paul to pick excellent books.

Just a comment on this. It's good to know that we can expand the horizons with some of the editions we publish. The same happens to me. I've seen requests for books that I have never heard of, so it's an opportunity to take a closer look, and potentially discover something quite spectacular.

A lot of discussion and research goes into making final selections as to what to publish, and it's really good to know that most people have enjoyed the books we've made editions for, but I certainly don't expect everyone to love every book. I have no doubt there will be novels we publish which some people will like and others will dislike. It's just the nature of it. I have read books which may be considered one of the greatest masterpieces ever written, and I either couldn't get through it, or did not enjoy it at all.

Anyway, I will be focusing on the top choices returned from this survey and will make every effort to secure them for you.

We're a twisted bunch aren't we.

Noxus35
08-05-2020, 10:12 AM

I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to releasing the results, and also we don't typically do that. These surveys are primarily to assist us in the decision making process. I want to publish books that our customers are asking for, and this is the perfect way to do that. When you have 900 submissions, you get a very good picture of what the majority are asking for.

Just a comment on this. It's good to know that we can expand the horizons with some of the editions we publish. The same happens to me. I've seen requests for books that I have never heard of, so it's an opportunity to take a closer look, and potentially discover something quite spectacular.

A lot of discussion and research goes into making final selections as to what to publish, and it's really good to know that most people have enjoyed the books we've made editions for, but I certainly don't expect everyone to love every book. I have no doubt there will be novels we publish which some people will like and others will dislike. It's just the nature of it. I have read books which may be considered one of the greatest masterpieces ever written, and I either couldn't get through it, or did not enjoy it at all.

Anyway, I will be focusing on the top choices returned from this survey and will make every effort to secure them for you.

So....did you read One Word Kill, Limited Wish & Dispel Illusion?
Just curious. 😉

"I'm not this dark, twisted person. Yes, i have my demons and this is my way of exorcising them. It gets them out - And better out than in.." | Naomi Watts |

George at C-Springs
08-05-2020, 10:37 AM

As I was going through it, the one button/choice I would have liked was "I don't know this author or any of these books"; instead I kept clicking "None of the Above". I imagine that might be what others were doing as well. In the end I didn't even submit because it was all NOTA, which is not especially helpful. Never heard of Murakami!

Dr. Dawg
08-05-2020, 11:10 AM

As I was going through it, the one button/choice I would have liked was "I don't know this author or any of these books"; instead I kept clicking "None of the Above". I imagine that might be what others were doing as well. In the end I didn't even submit because it was all NOTA, which is not especially helpful. Never heard of Murakami!

I agree, this is exactly why I didn't submit the survey either. At the end of the day I trust Paul's selections...

zelig
08-05-2020, 11:15 AM
Just curious. 😉

Not yet. It's on my list. You should see how many books I have lined up to read. There are just too many!

Noxus35
08-05-2020, 11:29 AM
Just curious. 😉

Not yet. It's on my list. You should see how many books I have lined up to read. There are just too many!

Yeah, i bet. 😉
I guess many people on here would very much like to see what you've got lined up to read. Anyway, if you eventually get to them, i really think you're going to like those books.

Splync
08-05-2020, 12:09 PM
Just curious. 😉

Such as several titles by Murakami, right?? ;-)

burgerhicks80
08-05-2020, 01:04 PM
looking to swap my The Road #184 for #239 if anyone has it and is willing!

ICry4Oy
08-05-2020, 01:48 PM

:nana:

GenericEric
08-05-2020, 01:56 PM
I've always had a soft spot for Where the Red Fern Grows.

It was the first book I ever read. I don't think there's been a limited edition of it yet. I think that story would make a beautiful Suntup book

jeffingoff
08-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Newberry Award winning Bridge to Teribithia.

burgerhicks80
08-05-2020, 02:53 PM
Are the illustrations in The lottery supposed to be fully adhered to the page or are the corners meant to pull slightly away from the page?

MikeDuke
08-05-2020, 03:20 PM
Are the illustrations in The lottery supposed to be fully adhered to the page or are the corners meant to pull slightly away from the page?
I asked the same question. It's OK that they pull away. They are designed to do that.

MikeDuke
08-05-2020, 03:23 PM
People always complain about getting neg rep. Well I want to thank whom ever gave me positive rep for my post on the previous page.
So, thanks :).

kingfan2323
08-05-2020, 03:25 PM
Are the illustrations in The lottery supposed to be fully adhered to the page or are the corners meant to pull slightly away from the page?They are meant to be like that. Perhaps Paul can give us the tradition of this and why it is done.

seeking: anything DT related #246

zelig
08-05-2020, 03:26 PM

It's a valid question, and one that I have been asked a handful of times. How you see them in the book is precisely how they are supposed to be. This is considered the preferred method for tipping illustrations in a fine press edition. We glue down the gutter edge, and then at the opposite top corner. Doing it any other way would be improper in this edition. I know it's not what most people are used to seeing, but we make books differently by following the traditions and philosophies of the fine and private press movement.

burgerhicks80
08-05-2020, 03:42 PM

It's a valid question, and one that I have been asked a handful of times. How you see them in the book is precisely how they are supposed to be. This is considered the preferred method for tipping illustrations in a fine press edition. We glue down the gutter edge, and then at the opposite top corner. Doing it any other way would be improper in this edition. I know it's not what most people are used to seeing, but we make books differently by following the traditions and philosophies of the fine and private press movement.

Good to know, thanks for the reply!

lotuz
08-05-2020, 04:33 PM
One word:

American Psycho

YES!!! A million times yes!!!

This is the book that got me into S/L collecting in 2013 when a small publisher I had never heard of (Centipede Press) showed up in my search results on Amazon. If it wasn't already in the previous survey choices, I may have put it as one of my top two for the final questions.

Not only is it just an amazing novel but there's sooooooo much imagery to draw from for both the composition of the book and the interior art.

The obsession with luxury clothing brands, music, and business cards - all of these could play nicely as exterior design elements. Then with some of the carnage (but not the most brutal stuff, there's plenty of lesser violence to choose from) illustrated on the interior, the physical book itself would be a perfect encapsulation of the dominant theme (pretty on the outside, unspeakably ugly on the inside).

I have a whole shelf of different editions of this book but since they are all packed up right now as I redo my home office, here's a copy that just came the other week - a Ukrainian edition:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/984/medium/06C84393-7E40-40F3-A328-3E853F2225F2.jpeg

Splync
08-05-2020, 05:55 PM
Newberry Award winning Bridge to Teribithia.

You know, I never read that novel as a child. I decided to rectify this a few years back when the audiobook was on sale for a dollar.

I don't know if you've ever listened to audiobooks, but a lot of them use a short musical tune or score at the beginning when they are presenting the title, author, and narrator. The one they used for Bridge to Teribithia was a very upbeat banjo/country tune.

I don't know if it was an error on the Audible file or a sick joke by whomever directed the audiobook, but that opening tune came back and played again at the WORST time...

"your girlfriend's dead."

*SMASH CUT TO UPBEAT BANJO MUSIC*

And just like that, what was probably an emotionally scarring moment to many young readers was turned into a very comedic one for my grown ass!

BadHatHarry
08-05-2020, 08:09 PM
I've always had a soft spot for Where the Red Fern Grows.

It was the first book I ever read. I don't think there's been a limited edition of it yet. I think that story would make a beautiful Suntup book

I haven’t read that book in thirty years. I bet it would still make me bawl.

MikeDuke
08-06-2020, 06:16 AM
Red Dragon AGE and numbered has an, I guess estimated, shipping date of 8/11 or next Tues. Who here is excited... Raise your hand. :onfire::excited::clap:.

jeffingoff
08-06-2020, 06:21 AM
Red Dragon AGE and numbered has an, I guess estimated, shipping date of 8/11 or next Tues. Who here is excited... Raise your hand. :onfire::excited::clap:.

So much is raised right now!

MikeDuke
08-06-2020, 06:30 AM

So much is raised right now!
Easy there. Don't hurt yourself.

Splync
08-06-2020, 06:44 AM
It may not be nearly as entertaining as a Jeffingoff unboxing, but you have my eternal thanks Paul (and Kris)!!

https://youtu.be/JWwFQWBbWFw

MikeDuke
08-06-2020, 06:50 AM
It may not be nearly as entertaining as a Jeffingoff unboxing, but you have my eternal thanks Paul (and Kris)!!

No problem with that unboxing at all. Better than I could do. And congrats on getting one.

becca69
08-06-2020, 06:52 AM

Nice video. Just a small service announcement from your friendly ninja, the cube on the ARC is solvable… it's the cube on the prototype paperweight on the order page which is not :ninja:

Hunchback Jack
08-06-2020, 08:42 AM
This is great. I love seeing all those identical numbers.

By the way, Paul, I have bought a forthcoming lettered edition on the secondary market. It didn’t come with rights. If I register the sale with you, will it appear in this list?

HBJ
Congrats on getting a lettered.

Very nice unboxing! And that ARC looks great.

(I'm always impressed by people in videos who can just talk off the cuff, and be both informative and entertaining. I have to prepare a *lot* before I can speak publicly, otherwise I pause for long periods choosing my words, or repeat myself in an endless ramble. You did really great).

HBJ

Splync
08-06-2020, 08:54 AM

Nice video. Just a small service announcement from your friendly ninja, the cube on the ARC is solvable… it's the cube on the prototype paperweight on the order page which is not :ninja:

Drat, I had misread! Thank you for the correction. :-)

Splync
08-06-2020, 08:56 AM

By the way, Paul, I have bought a forthcoming lettered edition on the secondary market. It didn’t come with rights. If I register the sale with you, will it appear in this list?

HBJ

(I'm always impressed by people in videos who can just talk off the cuff, and be both informative and entertaining. I have to prepare a *lot* before I can speak publicly, otherwise I pause for long periods choosing my words, or repeat myself in an endless ramble. You did really great).

HBJ

Thank you very much! I don't mind public speaking, but I tend to talk too quickly. Not out of nervousness, it's just the way I talk.

And there are plenty of times when my mouth just refuses to pronounce words correctly... :-/

George at C-Springs
08-06-2020, 01:49 PM
I haven't seen the S/L announced anywhere yet, and although I'm sure there's probably one in the works you never know ... so I'd like to throw the new Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline into the mix for the Suntup treatment. Go get it Paul! (no scratch-n-sniff required for this one)

webstar1000
08-06-2020, 01:58 PM
I haven't seen the S/L announced anywhere yet, and although I'm sure there's probably one in the works you never know ... so I'd like to throw the new Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline into the mix for the Suntup treatment. Go get it Paul! (no scratch-n-sniff required for this one)

That would be pretty bad assssss

Br!an
08-06-2020, 02:04 PM

HBJ

HBJ

Thank you very much! I don't mind public speaking, but I tend to talk too quickly. Not out of nervousness, it's just the way I talk.

And there are plenty of times when my mouth just refuses to pronounce words correctly... :-/

Very well done! You now have http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/thumbs/thumbsup.png

burgerhicks80
08-06-2020, 03:31 PM

YEEESSSSS!!!

ruderabbit
08-07-2020, 09:22 AM
Does anyone have a current sale info on Lettered HOHH, and limited The Road?

Patrick
08-07-2020, 09:44 AM

YEEESSSSS!!!
I expect Sub Press would do the limited edition of RP2 since they produced RP1 (there’s also a signed Easton Press edition of RP1), but a Suntup set of the books would be pretty great.

webstar1000
08-07-2020, 09:49 AM

YEEESSSSS!!!
I expect Sub Press would do the limited edition of RP2 since they produced RP1 (there’s also a signed Easton Press edition of RP1), but a Suntup set of the books would be pretty great.

True.. BUT Subpress did Silence... and Suntup did Dragon... who knows??????????????

jeffingoff
08-07-2020, 10:15 AM

I think the last I saw on The Road was $900-$1100. Kris probably has a more recent number.

I have no idea on the lettered Hill House. I know one was bouncing around on eBay unsold for approx $4300.

webstar1000
08-07-2020, 10:27 AM

I think the last I saw on The Road was $900-$1100. Kris probably has a more recent number.

I have no idea on the lettered Hill House. I know one was bouncing around on eBay unsold for approx $4300.

Sold three Roads in the last month. $900,950,$1100. I had an offer for a lettered Hill House at $2500 and I know they would go higher if they could secure a copy.

George at C-Springs
08-07-2020, 10:40 AM

That's what I thought too, but I've been waiting and so far no announcement. I just figured it doesn't hurt to throw this out there; for all I know Cline wasn't happy with SP or the RP1 edition for whatever reason (I like it) and is looking for a publisher ... which would be an awesome opportunity for Suntup. And wow, what he might be able to do with a double set of RP1 & RP2!

jeffingoff
08-07-2020, 10:49 AM

That's what I thought too, but I've been waiting and so far no announcement. I just figured it doesn't hurt to throw this out there; for all I know Cline wasn't happy with SP or the RP1 edition for whatever reason (I like it) and is looking for a publisher ... which would be an awesome opportunity for Suntup. And wow, what he might be able to do with a double set of RP1 & RP2!

I thought I saw a comment on FB from Bill saying that they will be doing or trying to do RP2. But that's little more than a seed to grow a rumor. I can't find the comment and I don't even know what FB group it was in. But I do have a good memory and it's usually truth-adjacent. Usually.

ruderabbit
08-07-2020, 11:28 AM

Sold three Roads in the last month. $900,950,$1100. I had an offer for a lettered Hill House at $2500 and I know they would go higher if they could secure a copy.

2500 for Lettered HOHH, is list price. I’m going to shoot for a bit more than that. I think I’m going to ask less than our friend on eBay at 4300, and more than list. I’m thinking 3750.

I’d be happy with 1100 for The Road.

Please DM if interested. Feel free to check out my seller feedback at eBay for insight as to how I treat my books and customers. My eBay name is ruderabbit. https://www.ebay.com/usr/ruderabbit?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I will make the start of the sale official tomorrow, so I can get home from work, and get pictures to add to the post.

Hunchback Jack
08-07-2020, 11:47 AM

YEEESSSSS!!!

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but given the choice of Suntup or SubPress doing RP2, I'd prefer the latter. SubPress did a fine job of RP1, and they are masters at maintaining consistency of design across volumes in a series.

HBJ

George at C-Springs
08-07-2020, 12:52 PM
Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but given the choice of Suntup or SubPress doing RP2, I'd prefer the latter. SubPress did a fine job of RP1, and they are masters at maintaining consistency of design across volumes in a series.

HBJ

HERETIC!!! :onfire::emot-flame:

I'm totally joking. Like I said above, I like the SubPress RP1 and am looking forward to RP2 but IF, for some reason, they're not publishing it and the S/L rights are available then I think Paul could knock it out of the park. The combo RP1/RP2 idea could even be shelved for a 10th or 15h anniversary edition ... give everybody something to look forward to.

Honestly I just hope the story doesn't suck. RP1 was a rare one for me in that I absolutely loved both the book and the movie; is RP2 going to be an Aliens, or is it going to be a Grease 2?

Hunchback Jack
08-07-2020, 01:15 PM
Sure, if SubPress couldnt do it, then I’d love Paul to have the opportunity.

I would just prefer the books in a series to be done by the same publisher, if that publisher does it well, rather than change publishers mid-series.

GenericEric
08-07-2020, 01:53 PM
A Suntup shipping notice!!!

Always nice to get a book way ahead of schedule.

MikeDuke
08-07-2020, 02:15 PM

Nothing for me yet. I ordered both so maybe tomorrow when the numbered are scheduled.
But your right, always awesome to get it shipped ahead of schedule.

Splync
08-07-2020, 02:33 PM

HBJ

I'm totally joking. Like I said above, I like the SubPress RP1 and am looking forward to RP2 but IF, for some reason, they're not publishing it and the S/L rights are available then I think Paul could knock it out of the park. The combo RP1/RP2 idea could even be shelved for a 10th or 15h anniversary edition ... give everybody something to look forward to.

Honestly I just hope the story doesn't suck. RP1 was a rare one for me in that I absolutely loved both the book and the movie; is RP2 going to be an Aliens, or is it going to be a Grease 2?

I'm really hoping it doesn't suck.

The last time Spielberg convinced an author to write a sequel was The Lost World, which only tarnished Jurassic Park for me...

Joe315
08-07-2020, 03:47 PM

HBJ

10th anniversary of RP1 is next august.

OldCrow88
08-07-2020, 03:54 PM

HBJ

Hey, hey, whaddaya have against bowling alleys and cool riders?!? :sidegrin:

scottmcasey
08-07-2020, 06:02 PM

I’d be happy with 1100 for The Road.

Please DM if interested.

New here and not seeming to be able to DM. I'd be interested in hearing more about your copy of The Road. I'll try contacting you through your eBay profile.

Splync
08-07-2020, 07:13 PM

HBJ

Hey, hey, whaddaya have against bowling alleys and cool riders?!? :sidegrin:

Can I change my survey answer to a Suntup Edition of the Grease 2 script??

Noxus35
08-07-2020, 08:30 PM

Nothing for me yet. I ordered both so maybe tomorrow when the numbered are scheduled.
But your right, always awesome to get it shipped ahead of schedule.

I got a shipping notice too. 😎
I agree though, always nice ahead of schedule.

shaq
08-07-2020, 10:27 PM
Received Lottery yesterday. That is a fine piece of art. Exceptional.

And not to sound dismissive, Red Dragon shipped last night!!! The book i have been waiting for.

A little worried as on holiday in a week time, and hermes left Lottery was left on the doorstep!

peripheral
08-08-2020, 03:21 AM
Got the shipping notice for Red Dragon to Australia. Continue to be impressed with Suntup's consistent ability to delivery on, or ahead of, schedule, thus far.

jeffingoff
08-08-2020, 06:57 AM
Okay. Your decision, but happy to replace it. I checked with the printer and it's what he calls a "double". Two sheets went through the press at the same time, so one missed the red ink. And as you say, by some universal adjustment, it ended up in your book!

I'm printing these comments out for provenance and authentication. So when my kids sell the books to help fund their boat purchases, they can have a testament to their father's collecting logic.

zelig
08-08-2020, 07:00 AM

And not to sound dismissive, Red Dragon shipped last night!!! The book i have been waiting for.

A little worried as on holiday in a week time, and hermes left Lottery was left on the doorstep!

This is very risky. Please send me a PM with your order number. I would rather send using a different carrier or you aren’t going to be there. It’s unlikely it will arrive before you go on holiday.

Bev Vincent
08-08-2020, 08:28 AM
Received my LET THE RIGHT ONE IN galley yesterday. I think this is the first Suntup book that I've never read before.

shaq
08-08-2020, 10:10 AM

This is very risky. Please send me a PM with your order number. I would rather send using a different carrier or you aren’t going to be there. It’s unlikely it will arrive before you go on holiday.

Thanks Paul, very much appreciated. I sent my email earlier and you have kindly changed carriers. Thank you, gives a lot more control, ie send delivery to the post office etc.

Cheers

swintek
08-08-2020, 02:06 PM
I received shipping notices for both RED DRAGON numbered and gift editions- in one day. Outstanding! Needless to say- I'm extremely excited to see these books!

Splync
08-08-2020, 03:00 PM
Books inbound. Oh happy day!!

GenericEric
08-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Can't wait to reread the Hannibal series again with this beautiful edition.

I'm also trying to get my hands on the limited edition of The Silence of the Lambs from SubPress

Joe315
08-08-2020, 05:48 PM

I'm also trying to get my hands on the limited edition of The Silence of the Lambs from SubPress

I've been debating selling my numbered but I have not seen a sale of one lately so I'm not sure what they would go for.

MikeDuke
08-08-2020, 07:05 PM
Got my shipping info for numbered and AGE for Red Dragon earlier today. Can't wait to get these in person.

swintek
08-08-2020, 10:23 PM

'SILENCE' was my first choice in the recent Suntup survey in books I'd like to see them publish, and I hope it was others' as well. If Paul does it- and it looks as promising as RED DRAGON's design (and, I'm sure it will), and I'm lucky enough to land a copy (see below), it would be a very hard choice indeed whether to sell my Subpress edition- signed or no. I've really grown to love that edition, despite my initial reticence to Marshall Arisman's artwork. It's a grower, definitely. Like any good art, really. But, I'm a big fan of that whole package now.

Presumably, Paul could get Harris to sign a SotL edition, as he got him to sign RD (and here I digress: How did Paul get Harris to sign 250 numbered copies, but Subpress "couldn't" get him to sign 200? Was that a Harris choice at the time, or a Subpress choice? I'd love to know, because that Subpress numbered edition really should have been signed, and I've never understood why it wasn't). But- this book would also be a PRIME candidate for the increased print run Paul was talking about awhile ago. If so, would Harris sign 350 copies (plus lettereds)? It's really not a lot to have to sign. Jeez, Lansdale, Gaiman, Hill, et al sign 2K copies nowadays, and they are "big" names in publishing.

My real question amid all this random speculation, however, would be- how would they be allotted? As usual, buyers of whatever previous book have first rights of refusal? RED DRAGON buyers first right of refusal? Yes, please! Then, the (if applicable) "extra" 100 copies go live on site in a dogfight?

And that brings up: how would collectors feel about there being 250 copies of RD and 350 copies of SotL? My vote: Always more beautiful books that buyers want. Not less. I dislike manufactured exclusivity. Of course, that is up to all the writers and artists involved, and what they are willing to do, and what it costs. Anyway- just wondering!

Noxus35
08-09-2020, 12:02 AM

I've been debating selling my numbered but I have not seen a sale of one lately so I'm not sure what they would go for.

I just bought that TSOTL by SubPress at camelot, together with a signed first trade edition of The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman. 😉

Splync
08-09-2020, 02:28 AM
My real question amid all this random speculation, however, would be- how would they be allotted? As usual, buyers of whatever previous book have first rights of refusal? RED DRAGON buyers first right of refusal? Yes, please! Then, the (if applicable) "extra" 100 copies go live on site in a dogfight?

And that brings up: how would collectors feel about there being 250 copies of RD and 350 copies of SotL? My vote: Always more beautiful books that buyers want. Not less. I dislike manufactured exclusivity. Of course, that is up to all the writers and artists involved, and what they are willing to do, and what it costs. Anyway- just wondering!

If Paul does ever do The Silence of the Lambs, first right of refusal will go to the owners of the most recent Suntup Edition.

And if the book was published with the larger print run of 350, then I suppose it would be no different than the recent publication of The Lottery.

Haunting of Hill House only has 185 copies, as opposed to the 250 copies created of The Lottery. It's also a great example of how Hill House owners did not get first refusal of The Lottery (unless they had purchased Fahrenheit 451, of course).

peripheral
08-09-2020, 02:39 AM

If Paul does ever do The Silence of the Lambs, first right of refusal will go to the owners of the most recent Suntup Edition.

And if the book was published with the larger print run of 350, then I suppose it would be no different than the recent publication of The Lottery.

Haunting of Hill House only has 185 copies, as opposed to the 250 copies created of The Lottery. It's also a great example of how Hill House owners did not get first refusal of The Lottery (unless they had purchased Fahrenheit 451, of course).

Except, the difference with your Jackson analogy is that SOTL is a direct sequel to Red Dragon - the Jackson books are not a series. One could reasonably expect Suntup to apply the Donald M. Grant model - where the next DT SL book rights world sit with TWTTK SL owners, and not whatever book they had published in between.

Splync
08-09-2020, 04:32 AM
I suppose anything is possible. I'm just going off of the two track situation he's done so far. One track for the King books and one track for everything else.

jeffingoff
08-09-2020, 04:42 AM
Maybe in everyone’s package with the Red Dragon numbered edition is a big red ticket that announces Suntup will be publishing Silence of the Lambs and grants the bearer the right to buy it.

kingfan2323
08-09-2020, 06:52 AM

'SILENCE' was my first choice in the recent Suntup survey in books I'd like to see them publish, and I hope it was others' as well. If Paul does it- and it looks as promising as RED DRAGON's design (and, I'm sure it will), and I'm lucky enough to land a copy (see below), it would be a very hard choice indeed whether to sell my Subpress edition- signed or no. I've really grown to love that edition, despite my initial reticence to Marshall Arisman's artwork. It's a grower, definitely. Like any good art, really. But, I'm a big fan of that whole package now.

Presumably, Paul could get Harris to sign a SotL edition, as he got him to sign RD (and here I digress: How did Paul get Harris to sign 250 numbered copies, but Subpress "couldn't" get him to sign 200? Was that a Harris choice at the time, or a Subpress choice? I'd love to know, because that Subpress numbered edition really should have been signed, and I've never understood why it wasn't). But- this book would also be a PRIME candidate for the increased print run Paul was talking about awhile ago. If so, would Harris sign 350 copies (plus lettereds)? It's really not a lot to have to sign. Jeez, Lansdale, Gaiman, Hill, et al sign 2K copies nowadays, and they are "big" names in publishing.

And that brings up: how would collectors feel about there being 250 copies of RD and 350 copies of SotL? My vote: Always more beautiful books that buyers want. Not less. I dislike manufactured exclusivity. Of course, that is up to all the writers and artists involved, and what they are willing to do, and what it costs. Anyway- just wondering!Great breakdown of things. Good news is Harris signed hundreds (maybe thousands?) of copies of Cari Mora and the sigs for Suntups Red Dragon so maybe his signature hand will be a more willing literary partner moving forward.

Joe315
08-09-2020, 09:53 AM

I just bought that TSOTL by SubPress at camelot, together with a signed first trade edition of The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman. 😉

Didn’t even think to check Camelot. There is one up for sale via consignment or is that the one you bought?

Noxus35
08-09-2020, 10:03 AM

Didn’t even think to check Camelot. There is one up for sale via consignment or is that the one you bought?

The consignment is the lettered edition, i bought the limited one.
I do think they have multiple copies of TSOTL, because the other book (Neil Gaiman) that i bought is now listed as "sold out".

Joe315
08-09-2020, 10:05 AM

The consigment is the lettered edition, i bought the limited one.
I do think they have multiple copies of TSOTL, because the other book (Neil Gaiman) that i bought is now listed as "sold out".

You’re right (don’t know why I collect books if I can’t read).

Noxus35
08-09-2020, 10:18 AM

The consignment is the lettered edition, i bought the limited one.

You’re right (don’t know why I collect books if I can’t read).

That's okay, when i woke up this morning i couldn't read either, although that was more likely caused by the aftermath of the alcoholic event i attended to yesterday which is known as "a bachelor party"

Ps: the bachelor is not me.😬

jeffingoff
08-09-2020, 11:46 AM

Except, the difference with your Jackson analogy is that SOTL is a direct sequel to Red Dragon - the Jackson books are not a series. One could reasonably expect Suntup to apply the Donald M. Grant model - where the next DT SL book rights world sit with TWTTK SL owners, and not whatever book they had published in between.

First let me say, Paul needs to do what Paul needs to do. He's already done far more for collectors than any other small publisher that I know of. Upgrades to the materials on already sold out books. Upgrades to the shipping services offered. Upgrades to the website experience. So no one should expect him to match numbers for Red Dragon purchasers to a possible SOTL. The system is set up for King and Non-King matching. Would I be happy to be guaranteed to match to SOTL if I lose my job and fall off the train? Yes. But maybe if I lose my job I shouldn't be worried about the chance to buy a book worth hundreds.

ANYWAY all of that rambling disclaimer to say I assumed a future Harris book would go the same way as the Jackson books went. But I hadn't considered that The Lottery was not a sequel to Hill House. Just the same author. AND Paul hasn't said boo about SOTL.

We are a rabid f**king bunch, aren't we? JEFFROTHINGOFF

jeffingoff
08-09-2020, 12:03 PM
in the gaming world, i would be called a "try hard" or a "sweat." This expanded vocab is a perk of being dad to a 15 year old boy.

Splync
08-09-2020, 12:09 PM
Exactly! Silence hasn't even been confirmed as a title yet. We'll see what Paul does if, and that's IF, he ever does Silence.

RichardX
08-09-2020, 03:45 PM

And that brings up: how would collectors feel about there being 250 copies of RD and 350 copies of SotL? My vote: Always more beautiful books that buyers want. Not less. I dislike manufactured exclusivity. Of course, that is up to all the writers and artists involved, and what they are willing to do, and what it costs. Anyway- just wondering!Great breakdown of things. Good news is Harris signed hundreds (maybe thousands?) of copies of Cari Mora and the sigs for Suntups Red Dragon so maybe his signature hand will be a more willing literary partner moving forward.

Sounds like Harris is broke. Cari Mora is possibly the worst novel that I've ever read from a best selling author of his caliber. I wonder if it was a trunk novel that they hired a ghost writer to complete and paid him a bundle to put his name on? Good news for collectors though since he is becoming the Joe Hill of signings.

kingfan2323
08-09-2020, 04:10 PM

Sounds like Harris is broke. Cari Mora is possibly the worst novel that I've ever read from a best selling author of his caliber. I wonder if it was a trunk novel that they hired a ghost writer to complete and paid him a bundle to put his name on? Good news for collectors though since he is becoming the Joe Hill of signings.Absolutely enjoyed Cari Mora.

CyberGhostface
08-09-2020, 05:48 PM
If Harris was in it for the money he would be writing the tenth Hannibal novel right now. He didn’t even want to write the last one but he was effectively blackmailed into doing it (with Dino De Laurentiis saying someone else would do it for him).

Anyways I got my Red Dragon shipping notice, I should be getting it by the 17th. I’m a bit nervous to handle the numbered edition as it’s by far the most I’ve ever spent on a single book.

Splync
08-09-2020, 06:16 PM
Good news for collectors though since he is becoming the Joe Hill of signings.

Well that's a BIT dramatic.

And if signing a new book (or even a trunk novel, if that was the case) and doing a Suntup Edition is an indicator of a writer being "broke", then there must be quite a high bar to pass in order to be a success...

Dolan
08-09-2020, 06:18 PM

But. But. Paul made explicit that the Misery holder would be in possession of the next King novel, no matter who holds rights to current number.

No such promise was made with Red Dragon.

jeffingoff
08-09-2020, 06:31 PM

But. But. Paul made explicit that the Misery holder would be in possession of the next King novel, no matter who holds rights to current number.

Kerrect as Bugs would say.

Patrick
08-09-2020, 09:05 PM

Same with The Time Machine. Matching option stated before time of purchase. No such statement was made about the Hannibal series as there was with the King track - or the prebuy option with the Wells set.

If it needs to be said, here’s the scenario for anyone who thinks Paul might surprise everyone down the road about rights to matching numbers no matter what’s happened or how long has gone by since RED DRAGON:

People are getting on the Suntup train after RED DRAGON and buying each of their matching number books faithfully from the time they “join the club.” A whole lot of happy, loving, excited customers. Now a year or so goes by and there’s a big announcement that Suntup has landed SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. Cause for celebration, right? Of course! Oh, but then the publisher throws a twist and says essentially, “Guess what you latecomer rights holders! The person that used to have your number way back when gets your number for this one. Bummer for you. Maybe you can contact them and negotiate an inflated price for this book to avoid a break in your numbered sequence since they’ll now have you over a barrel. Don’t worry, you’ll be back on the train with the next book we do. Unless we decide to throw another curveball at our ongoing, loyal customer base. You still love us and trust us and want to keep on giving us your hard earned cash, right?“

Please tell me no one really thinks Paul is such a poor decision maker that this scenario would actually happen.

jeffingoff
08-10-2020, 06:48 AM

Same with The Time Machine. Matching option stated before time of purchase. No such statement was made about the Hannibal series as there was with the King track - or the prebuy option with the Wells set.

If it needs to be said, here’s the scenario for anyone who thinks Paul might surprise everyone down the road about rights to matching numbers no matter what’s happened or how long has gone by since RED DRAGON:

People are getting on the Suntup train after RED DRAGON and buying each of their matching number books faithfully from the time they “join the club.” A whole lot of happy, loving, excited customers. Now a year or so goes by and there’s a big announcement that Suntup has landed SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. Cause for celebration, right? Of course! Oh, but then the publisher throws a twist and says essentially, “Guess what you latecomer rights holders! The person that used to have your number way back when gets your number for this one. Bummer for you. Maybe you can contact them and negotiate an inflated price for this book to avoid a break in your numbered sequence since they’ll now have you over a barrel. Don’t worry, you’ll be back on the train with the next book we do. Unless we decide to throw another curveball at our ongoing, loyal customer base. You still love us and trust us and want to keep on giving us your hard earned cash, right?“

Please tell me no one really thinks Paul is such a poor decision maker that this scenario would actually happen.

Well, you shut that sh!t down! :D

Noxus35
08-10-2020, 07:04 AM

Well, you shut that sh!t down! :D

Lol! [emoji51]

In other news; isn't this the week we get a new release?

Sent from my CPH1919 using Tapatalk

Patrick
08-10-2020, 07:16 AM
Rereading that now, I realize I might have had a bit too much caffeine yesterday.

Anyway, the point is, Paul’s intentional surprises are always good ones. :)

Looking forward to this week’s announcement!

Noxus35
08-10-2020, 07:20 AM
Rereading that now, I realize I might have had a bit too much caffeine yesterday.

Maybe, i do get to much caffeine every day but i do get your point though. And what if the limitation was upped to 350 copies, ah well ... i'll wait and see, i do love a good surprise. 😬

jeffingoff
08-10-2020, 07:21 AM

Hahahaha You threw down the gauntlet and DARED ANYONE to disagree with you!

http://tenor.com/view/negan-jeffrey-dean-morgan-the-walking-dead-twd-iwill-shut-that-down-gif-15346386

St. Troy
08-10-2020, 07:22 AM
That's the funny thing about rights - if everyone has them, occasionally they conflict - and someone else's will come before yours.

No matter what Paul does, someone won't get the inside track for the future Suntup book of their dreams. He will always do his best, but we're at the point where someone will always be left out, and no matter how far in advance this is made clear, people will get bent out of shape.

MikeDuke
08-10-2020, 07:32 AM
Good read Patrick. But the FB live is Aug 19th and the announcement is Aug 20th. That's next Wed and Thursday. Not this week :(.

Noxus35
08-10-2020, 07:37 AM
Good read Patrick. But the announcement is Aug 20th. That's next Thursday. Not this week :(.

Whoops! My bad, i'm one week too early and i'm usually great at keeping in touch with the schedule.🤭

Patrick
08-10-2020, 07:49 AM
Good read Patrick. But the announcement is Aug 20th. That's next Thursday. Not this week :(.

Whoops! My bad, i'm one week too early and i'm usually great at keeping in touch with the schedule.🤭
Monday morning. Now I need *more* caffeine. Thanks for the correction!

If more Suntup Hannibal books come later, I hope they are at the higher limitation if the author allows it, so more people can get those books. Then we have a situation similar to the Dark Tower series in that there can only be so many matching number sets determined by the lowest limitation book in the series.

MikeDuke
08-10-2020, 07:57 AM
As long as Paul makes at least 130 numbered books, I am golden. And it would be nice when he starts the higher number. The more people the better I say. Just like he did with Brother being 500. There are only 52 Brothers left of them.

shaq
08-10-2020, 12:19 PM
As long as Paul makes at least 130 numbered books, I am golden. And it would be nice when he starts the higher number. The more people the better I say. Just like he did with Brother being 500. There are only 52 Brothers left of them.

Nah, up the numbers to 350.........including the next King release, offered to non king owners not on the track, with intro by Tabitha, preface by Stephen king, epigraph by Owen, and essays on the book by Joe Hill all signed, including Whelan art and Paul Suntup editor.

Boom!

MikeDuke
08-10-2020, 12:36 PM

Nah, up the numbers to 350.........including the next King release, offered to non king owners not on the track, with intro by Tabitha, preface by Stephen king, epigraph by Owen, and essays on the book by Joe Hill all signed, including Whelan art and Paul Suntup editor.

Boom!
I am down with that, up it to 350. The more the merrier.

shaq
08-10-2020, 12:38 PM
While i am on a roll, book would be Christine, or 11.22.63.

Hand delivered by Jeff with personal opening ceremony for all.

MikeDuke
08-10-2020, 12:49 PM
If Paul did a Christine, I would... Well I don't know what I would do. That's the book that started on my King journey so it has a special place
for me. But not having Misery means that I would miss out and that would make me :cry:. You never know. There could be another King book
down the road. But the hand delivery by Jeff would be a must.

Aremag
08-10-2020, 01:06 PM
I believe Night Shift deserves the Suntup treatment and every story is its own book.

jeffingoff
08-10-2020, 01:20 PM

Boom!

I have a prized Paul Suntup signature in my collection.

jeffingoff
08-10-2020, 01:21 PM
While i am on a roll, book would be Christine, or 11.22.63.

Hand delivered by Jeff with personal opening ceremony for all.

Well, now you've ruined the surprise!

Br!an
08-10-2020, 01:24 PM

I only need him to make 19! :evil:

I think raising the limitation is a good idea.

jeffingoff
08-10-2020, 01:25 PM

I only need him to make 19!

Don't be greedy! You can allow for 4 more.

Br!an
08-10-2020, 01:30 PM

Mmmm. :orely: You do make decent unboxing videos.

Although I could probably step up and do another...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpRxvDs-ep4

shaq
08-10-2020, 02:07 PM

Boom!

Have you, fantastic. That would be amazing. I did wonder if he would sign Bibliomysteries, having the original and new press signatures in there would be special.

zelig
08-10-2020, 03:03 PM
Just watched that unboxing video Brian. First time since you posted it back in 2017. Brought back a lot of memories. I sure went to town on that portfolio! But it was all worth the effort.

Just a heads up to some Red Dragon customers. We ran out of bookmarks for some inexplicable reason, so if your box is missing either a red or black bookmark, or possibly both, or if it's missing the red premium envelope (Numbered orders only), then do not fear. I'll be going through those that were missed, and will mail them out to you as soon as possible.

Splync
08-10-2020, 03:39 PM

Boom!

What did you get that Paul had signed? I don't recall that unboxing.

jeffingoff
08-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Boom!

I won my first ARC (for Brother) in a FB Live contest and it came with a little congrats letter signed by Paul. I didn’t make a big deal about getting the signature in the video and I always regretted not pointing it out.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200810/018bf4721f23ebf5e25462c12d0db1e2.jpg

Randall Flagg
08-10-2020, 03:48 PM

My how quickly everyone forgets who (I believe) started it all...

jeffingoff
08-10-2020, 03:55 PM

OMG I love this video. And I bow down to the OG SUNTUP UNBOXER.

Splync
08-10-2020, 06:03 PM
Jeff's donning his jacket for another incredible ARC unboxing! Smoking!!

Hunchback Jack
08-10-2020, 06:11 PM

Boom!

I won my first ARC (for Brother) in a FB Live contest and it came with a little congrats letter signed by Paul. I didn’t make a big deal about getting the signature in the video and I always regretted not pointing it out.

That's neat! I won an HHH ARC on the live stream, but don't recall receiving a signed card with it

HBJ.

Patrick
08-11-2020, 10:23 AM

Wow, that goes back. Enjoyed watching the video. Cool to see the Lettered especially since I don’t have that one.

I noticed your EOTD bookmark was with the promotional materials rather than with the portfolios. Perhaps that’s why some of us don’t have the EOTD bookmark.

Br!an
08-11-2020, 12:12 PM

Wow, that goes back. Enjoyed watching the video. Cool to see the Lettered especially since I don’t have that one.

I noticed your EOTD bookmark was with the promotional materials rather than with the portfolios. Perhaps that’s why some of us don’t have the EOTD bookmark.

The portfolios are fabulous. The real credit goes to Paul and David for putting this together. The portfolios are really the culmination of the whole Dragon Rebound to Suntup Editions saga. It's quite a story.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Jeff, us unboxing types have a lot in common. We both like good books, good beer and good shut your mouth.

It's funny watching the video now. I notice all of my mistakes. Like I should have taken the Palladini book out and showed the signature and a bit more about it. I also didn't know to hold the phone sideways. :doh:

Near the end, my friend started frantically pointing to the phone/camera. It turns out it wasn't fully charged when I started, and it takes a lot of juice to capture video. That's why I kind of rushed the ending.

Overall I was happy with my first attempt at an unboxing.

MikeDuke
08-11-2020, 12:22 PM
I know it was not your intent Brian, but the video makes me feel like an idiot that I did not get the numbered version. There were still some available but I had very little knowledge about Paul, DR and what would become Suntup Press. But it's still a great video.

stroppygoblin
08-11-2020, 03:52 PM

As we are reliving old videos.

(watch and weep Jeff...)

http://www.facebook.com/152476578149394/videos/1596362333760804

jeffingoff
08-11-2020, 04:14 PM

(watch and weep Jeff...)

Epic. I couldn't dream of using drones. But I do drone.

Patrick
08-11-2020, 04:34 PM

(watch and weep Jeff...)

Should have won an Oscar! You were robbed!

lotuz
08-11-2020, 06:13 PM

(watch and weep Jeff...)

THIS IS AMAZING

It's the perfect mix of love for the project and creative King imagery and dedication to the bit. This is very good and made my life better today :)

:clap::clap::clap:

MLG
08-11-2020, 07:25 PM

Boom!

This made me go back and check my Horns ARC. It did include a signed congratulations note.

jeffingoff
08-11-2020, 07:36 PM

Boom!

This made me go back and check my Horns ARC. It did include a signed congratulations note.

So cool!!

Spidergirl
08-11-2020, 08:24 PM
I love the Paul Suntup signature. That is fantastic! Thanks to Paul for the heads up about the possibility of missing book marks or envelopes. Although when mine arrive I probably would have been so excited to see the books it would have taken me a while to realize anything was missing!! I can’t wait for this delivery!

Joe315
08-12-2020, 08:03 AM
Out for delivery!!:excited:

MikeDuke
08-12-2020, 08:39 AM
Mine is still showing tomorrow That's OK. I can wait one more day.

Noxus35
08-12-2020, 08:51 AM
Mine is still showing tomorrow That's OK. I can wait one more day.Mine is still showing an error but that's ok, i love a good surprise. [emoji51]

jeffingoff
08-12-2020, 09:35 AM
Mine is still showing tomorrow That's OK. I can wait one more day.Mine is still showing an error but that's ok, i love a good surprise. [emoji51]

Mine is still showing for tomorrow but that's ok, I'm tracking the shipment and driving to the truck right now.

Noxus35
08-12-2020, 10:09 AM

Mine is still showing for tomorrow but that's ok, I'm tracking the shipment and driving to the truck right now.

Lol haha 🤣

I can picture you driving up to the truck. Getting out of the car and pry open the door of the truck, only to witness the postman jumping up and down on your package and tax you for it afterwards. But that's ok, it's well protected by Suntup's magical form fitted foam and you got your awesome edition of Red Dragon. 😉👌🏻

Time for an unboxing...

Joe315
08-12-2020, 10:54 AM
Just got and wow! The slipcase material is awesome. Another great production!

I'll let others take the photos because I will not do it justice.

MikeDuke
08-12-2020, 11:01 AM
I can imagine. The pics on the website show this to be a spectacular ed. I can't wait until tomorrow :excited:.

St. Troy
08-12-2020, 11:14 AM

...I can picture you driving up to the truck. Getting out of the car and pry open the door of the truck...

He could pull a Raiders of the Lost Ark, mounting the in-motion truck and fighting his way to the book.

shaq
08-12-2020, 02:15 PM

Thanks Paul, very much appreciated. I sent my email earlier and you have kindly changed carriers. Thank you, gives a lot more control, ie send delivery to the post office etc.

Cheers

So, on Saturday, Paul takes control of my delivery, as I am not around next week to receive any packages, and puts this on express.

Today, my book is in the uk, approximately 20 miles away, waiting to be delivered tomorrow.

Worked miracles Paul, amazing customer service, above and beyond.

I am so grateful.

Thank you.

Dave

Joe315
08-12-2020, 02:26 PM
Not only are the books beautiful but the customer service is second to none.

OldCrow88
08-12-2020, 02:29 PM
Eventually somebody needs to publish a book of collected anecdotes titled "The Awesomeness of Paul"

Hunchback Jack
08-12-2020, 02:37 PM
My AGE arrived yesterday and my #'ed today. I have yet to unbox them tho.

HBJ

Joe315
08-12-2020, 03:05 PM

HBJ

https://media.tenor.com/images/11c19422a68101e2c24868e998396922/tenor.gif

Hunchback Jack
08-12-2020, 03:42 PM

HBJ

https://media.tenor.com/images/11c19422a68101e2c24868e998396922/tenor.gif

I require preparation. I’m all out of Cheetos.

GenericEric
08-12-2020, 06:31 PM
If anyone is still looking for the gift edition of Misery, Betts Books has one for $199

That's a hell of a good deal considering I've seen some selling for closer to $300 recently.

HorrorfanTom
08-12-2020, 06:39 PM
If anyone is still looking for the gift edition of Misery, Betts Books has one for $199

That's a hell of a good deal considering I've seen some selling for closer to $300 recently.

I sent an email for this one a few hours ago. Hopefully no one beat me to it 😁😁

GenericEric
08-12-2020, 07:06 PM
Someone also got the AGE of Rosemary's Baby for $199 and that has been going for $300+

Too bad I missed that one.

JGeis
08-12-2020, 07:09 PM
I received my AGE Red Dragon today and Im super impressed. Love the slipcase. I own the Misery and I Am Legend AGE’s and this one is the most impressive to me yet. Can’t wait to see what Fahrenheit, 1984, and LTROI look like!

kingfan2323
08-12-2020, 10:00 PM
High expectations for the S/L RED DRAGON and absolutely pleased!

The slipcaae is beautiful and love the design/feel of the book. The color is stunning. And that Thomas Harris sig is a thing of beauty. Love it! Well done!

Splync
08-13-2020, 01:10 AM

Lol haha 🤣

I can picture you driving up to the truck. Getting out of the car and pry open the door of the truck, only to witness the postman jumping up and down on your package and tax you for it afterwards. But that's ok, it's well protected by Suntup's magical form fitted foam and you got your awesome edition of Red Dragon. 😉👌🏻

Time for an unboxing...

His copy is being delivered by The Mailman from the Bentley Little novel of the same name.

shaq
08-13-2020, 02:00 AM
What an amazing book Red Dragon is. It is my favourite by far of the suntup i own, top shelf stuff!

Thanks Paul for ensuring i get it before the weekend, that was so kind.

And if anyone hasn't seen Jason Mowry facebook post, really good. Worth a look.

MikeDuke
08-13-2020, 05:15 AM
Mine are on the truck and schedule for delivery today. I am sure the S\L will look fantastic and that may become my favorite. I am also looking
forward to seeing that cover on the AGE.

sullichin
08-13-2020, 05:18 AM
My numbered Red Dragon arrived today!
It's pretty sweet, surprisingly hard to take pictures of

https://i.imgur.com/HUNkkw5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SGhCwJb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/moFXqQs.jpg

The pics don't do the slipcase justice. The cover has more grey spots/speckles than I expected in the color, but the color looks different/more vibrant depending on the lighting.

Wish I bought the gift edition too honestly. And more than ever I wish I had numbered Misery...

I got both bookmarks but not the envelope. I wouldn't even have known that was missing if not for Zelig's post. Great customer service and Suntup books are the only products I legitimately enjoy "unboxing" because of the care in the packaging.

webstar1000
08-13-2020, 06:20 AM
Jason said to me that he would love
To do remarques too guys. I think I’ll be getting one. Love his work on this!!

MikeDuke
08-13-2020, 07:19 AM
WOW. These books are AWESOME. I got both AGE and numbered and both are outstanding. The Case on the AGE, looking and feeling like scales is awesome. But that cover, boy does it look fantastic. That artwork is amazing. And the numbered. Holy crap. That Japanese cloth for the case is just beautiful. And the book it self, the texture is so cool. And the symbol on the front is really neat as well. Man am I impressed with both books. The envelope with the picture is nice as well. I just can't stop looking at it. Very impressive and I am glad I made the choice later to get the AGE. I am so excited to see how the ones that are in the pipe line turn out. But I am very proud to own this ed.
P.S A remarque would be so cool Kris. I can't wait to see what you get. I doubt I would be willing to send this back for that. But it would be cool.

jeffingoff
08-13-2020, 07:47 AM

...I can picture you driving up to the truck. Getting out of the car and pry open the door of the truck...

He could pull a Raiders of the Lost Ark, mounting the in-motion truck and fighting his way to the book.

I unboxed the truck. Peeling the roof off of the moving vehicle. I crashed through the top of the trailer screaming "Remember the ALAMO!" I found my double-decker Suntup box, the tape glows in the dark. I didn't know that. Or maybe it wasn't glowing. Maybe I was just in Berserker mode. I grabbed the box as the truck slammed to a stop and the door opened. The postman stood there, a silhouette with the sun outlining him. I screeched "I'll unbox your intestines!" and then everything went dark.

MikeDuke
08-13-2020, 07:56 AM
When you came to, I hope you were OK and no "real" damage was done.

Noxus35
08-13-2020, 08:06 AM

I unboxed the truck. Peeling the roof off of the moving vehicle. I crashed through the top of the trailer screaming "Remember the ALAMO!" I found my double-decker Suntup box, the tape glows in the dark. I didn't know that. Or maybe it wasn't glowing. Maybe I was just in Berserker mode. I grabbed the box as the truck slammed to a stop and the door opened. The postman stood there, a silhouette with the sun outlining him. I screeched "I'll unbox your intestines!" and then everything went dark.

Right on ! You showed that domestic mail abuser how a proper unboxing is done, one question though: did you film it? 😬

jeffingoff
08-13-2020, 08:13 AM

Right on ! You showed that domestic mail abuser how a proper unboxing is done, one question though: did you film it? [emoji51]

I guess there’s some bodycam footage. But my lawyer is still in the discovery phase of preparations. She hasn’t gotten the videos yet.

BadHatHarry
08-13-2020, 08:43 AM
The S/L and AGE of Red Dragon are some of the most beautiful books I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. I can't believe they are in my collection.

daniel_pyle
08-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Others have already said it, but the AGE really is gorgeous. Mine just arrived and is now living happily among my other top-shelf books. I still can't believe it was only $65. This has to be the best bang-for-your-buck book in my collection.

ZombieElvis
08-13-2020, 01:42 PM
https://scontent.fbed1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/117444704_3184881788245723_177423009031930509_o.jp g?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=KyM0bDSIgVIAX_j1aP6&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-1.fna&oh=faef9e189d3e52c080284d0a6f64a824&oe=5F5CFB47
and its another grand slam!

GenericEric
08-13-2020, 02:09 PM
My AGE has arrived in Chicago! I'm hoping I either get it tomorrow or Saturday.

I plan on reading the series again. It's been many years since I last read it. Also, I've never read Hannibal Rising so I'll have an excuse to finally read that.

zelig
08-13-2020, 03:10 PM
I'm pleased you all are happy with the editions of Red Dragon. I just heard from Thomas Harris today after receiving his copies, and he is very pleased!

https://scontent.fbed1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/117444704_3184881788245723_177423009031930509_o.jp g?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=KyM0bDSIgVIAX_j1aP6&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-1.fna&oh=faef9e189d3e52c080284d0a6f64a824&oe=5F5CFB47

So this label was actually an upgrade I made at the last minute. It was supposed to be 2 hits foil stamping, but it didn't look good at all. So we ended up making these labels, with the gold foil stamp. Not something I would normally do on an AGE, but it had to be done.

MikeDuke
08-13-2020, 03:15 PM
I am so pleased with how this book turned out. The AGE an numbered are simply stunning. I can't get over how well made both books are. I mean really, they are fantastic. The cover Art for the AGE is wonderful and I absolutely love the fabric for the numbered. I am really glad I got both.
Another home run Paul.

kingfan2323
08-13-2020, 04:47 PM
I'm pleased you all are happy with the editions of Red Dragon. I just heard from Thomas Harris today after receiving his copies, and he is very pleased!

So this label was actually an upgrade I made at the last minute. It was supposed to be 2 hits foil stamping, but it didn't look good at all. So we ended up making these labels, with the gold foil stamp. Not something I would normally do on an AGE, but it had to be done.I wish hearing from Thomas Harris was part of my work day! Think we may see the entire series get the Suntup treatment? Hannibal is actually my favorite.

webstar1000
08-13-2020, 05:43 PM

So this label was actually an upgrade I made at the last minute. It was supposed to be 2 hits foil stamping, but it didn't look good at all. So we ended up making these labels, with the gold foil stamp. Not something I would normally do on an AGE, but it had to be done.

Think he will do more of his books?

swintek
08-13-2020, 06:42 PM
Happy to hear Thomas Harris is "very" pleased with your production of his book, Paul! He should be- it's absolutely a beautiful edition of an important novel. I'm so pleased to have it in my collection, as it's in my Top 5 favorite novels. Congrats, all the way around!

jeffingoff
08-13-2020, 06:49 PM
I’m sure it’s an absolute thrill, the validation you feel to hear from these authors that they love the way their work was represented. I’m so happy for you Paul and Becca! You keep exceeding expectations.

Joe315
08-13-2020, 07:20 PM
I tried to make a gif of how the slipcase material reacts to light. May take a second to load.

EDIT: Just put it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzDbFBo8do8

jeffingoff
08-13-2020, 07:27 PM
I tried to make a gif of how the slipcase material reacts to light. May take a second to load.

http://im7.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-7-79bee90b60b6.gif

I LOVE that!!!

BadHatHarry
08-13-2020, 07:28 PM
Paul, does your numbering system for books include the copies dedicated for the authors? Or are those separately numbered or marked somehow? How many personal copies do the authors get?

zelig
08-13-2020, 08:16 PM
Thanks, yes it’s always good to know the authors or the Estates are pleased with the results.

Paul, does your numbering system for books include the copies dedicated for the authors? Or are those separately numbered or marked somehow? How many personal copies do the authors get?

The way I designate contributor copies is with a “PC”. That would be for authors, artists, agents, publishers, etc., etc. These are produced in addition to the 250 run for public sale. As to how many copies an author receives, it can vary from book to book.

BadHatHarry
08-13-2020, 08:19 PM
Thanks, yes it’s always good to know the authors or the Estates are pleased with the results.

The way I designate contributor copies is with a “PC”. That would be for authors, artists, agents, publishers, etc., etc. These are produced in addition to the 250 run for public sale. As to how many copies an author receives, it can vary from book to book.

So the copies “reserved for private distribution” for Misery was a one-off? Just curious about the behind-the-scenes magic.

Splync
08-14-2020, 06:46 AM
The sheer beauty of these books broke my phone camera during my unboxing, haha! So I wasn't fully able to capture the AGE.

Jeff had previously complimented my pronunciation of names. So I had to prove him wrong and pretty much had a stroke while filming. It was fun regardless!

https://youtu.be/DHB09NAsh0I

Thank you VERY much Paul and Becca. This is your best one yet, in my opinion!

Br!an
08-14-2020, 07:05 AM
Red Dragon S/L is beautiful!

Are the AEs all shipped? I hope not, since I haven't received a notice yet.

jeffingoff
08-14-2020, 07:08 AM
The sheer beauty of these books broke my phone camera during my unboxing, haha! So I wasn't fully able to capture the AGE.

Jeff had previously complimented my pronunciation of names. So I had to prove him wrong and pretty much had a stroke while filming. It was fun regardless!

https://youtu.be/DHB09NAsh0I

Thank you VERY much Paul and Becca. This is your best one yet, in my opinion!

Love the cliffhanger ending!! And you didn't butcher anyone's names! And even if you did, you enunciated your mispronunciations clearly enough to fool everyone. When I stumble, I sound like I'm gargling Cap'n Crunch cereal. Love the look at your copies!

zelig
08-14-2020, 08:52 AM

That's weird. Yes all AGE's have shipped. I'm going to look into it.

Br!an
08-14-2020, 09:04 AM

Just got the shipping notice. Thanks, Paul.

GenericEric
08-14-2020, 09:16 AM
It's always nice to wake up to a Suntup box sitting on my porch.

AGE is beautiful. Really love the slipcase with the nice scaly look and feel.

firemonkey66
08-14-2020, 10:14 AM

Hey Paul, I’m in the same boat as Brian, I haven’t received a shipping notice either. Would you look into mine as well?

zelig
08-14-2020, 11:49 AM

Hey Paul, I’m in the same boat as Brian, I haven’t received a shipping notice either. Would you look into mine as well?

I'm aware of your order as well. Turns out about around 10 orders did not get fulfilled. The software tagged them incorrectly, so they didn't show up when I was cutting labels. They will go out early next week. Sorry about that.

NiceM
08-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Jason Mowry brought this to next level. What a fabulous choice Paul. I really hope you can work with him again in the future. Sheer beauty these books.