PDA

View Full Version : Suntup Editions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

Joe315
03-13-2020, 05:22 PM
is anyone having problems reaching the order page with the access code?

I cant seem to log in.

Just tested it and it worked for me

lotuz
03-13-2020, 05:22 PM
is anyone having problems reaching the order page with the access code?

I cant seem to log in.

No problems here - the site is definitely up

Lookwhoitis
03-13-2020, 05:32 PM
I got in. Ordered! :D

MikeDuke
03-13-2020, 07:24 PM
There may have been an issue earlier that was then corrected. I tried to log in just to if it sold out yet but it did not work.

zelig
03-13-2020, 07:48 PM
My apologies. The password in the reminder email was missing a digit. Have absolutely no idea how that happened. I made it so that both passwords will work.

Brian861
03-13-2020, 09:49 PM
I may not be a fan of all the stories that Paul publishes but I do love the productions. And as I was telling a friend the other day; it's gotten me to read books I never would have otherwise. Like or dislike, that's never a bad thing.

Will be placing my order here shortly.

Brian861
03-13-2020, 10:10 PM
Wow! Folk best be quick on the draw in the AM.

webstar1000
03-14-2020, 02:17 AM
Wow! Folk best be quick on the draw in the AM.

What’s left before open to public?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Munnecom
03-14-2020, 04:55 AM
Here’s the current tally:

Lettered: 2
Numbered: 62

I also noticed the AGE dust jacket is censored now. I wonder what that’s all about...

webstar1000
03-14-2020, 05:26 AM
Wow

MikeDuke
03-14-2020, 05:51 AM
Yea, that's pretty impressive. There seems to be 63 numbered now and still in the high 700's for the GE. Lettered still the same. This might be a quick sell with pre-orders selling like that and still about 2 hours to go on the private pre-order. When it get's to the public, I can see this going at a fast pace.

Aremag
03-14-2020, 07:04 AM
Well I just grabbed my number. Does anyone know what the deciding factor is in how many payments each book gets? Only get 3 with the new book but got 4 payments with Red Dragon.

Garrell
03-14-2020, 07:18 AM
Well I just grabbed my number. Does anyone know what the deciding factor is in how many payments each book gets? Only get 3 with the new book but got 4 payments with Red Dragon.

Was the same for me

NiceM
03-14-2020, 08:04 AM
Wow paul, those lettered covers!!. Can I put in my preference for letter L or did u list them in order already :)?

MikeDuke
03-14-2020, 08:06 AM
Don't know the answer to that one. I thought it might be based on total price of the book but I don't know. That's a guess on my part.
P.S Those lettered covers do look awesome. 28 numbered left.

zelig
03-14-2020, 08:37 AM

Was the same for me

The reason I changed this to 3 payments is because we're quite far along in production on this one. The book is already printed and is at the binder. So if all goes well, I anticipate it shipping in less than 4 months, so I needed the payments completed before shipping. There's always the PayPal 6 month option.

Wow paul, those lettered covers!!. Can I put in my preference for letter L or did u list them in order already :)?

So the covers are going to be allocated randomly to orders.

herbertwest
03-14-2020, 08:43 AM
Bradbury.
Gaiman (congrats Paul, I know you told me that his scheduling wouldnt allow him anything before at least 2 years!).
Whelan !

Well, this edition is marvelous and I love the fact that each lettered will be uniques.
I am personnally not too keen on the artist's artwork, but art is personal and the project itself is great !

Congratulations for this and I am certain that it will sell out fairly quickly !

NiceM
03-14-2020, 08:54 AM

So the covers are going to be allocated randomly to orders.

Exciting to see what we get!!!

Hunchback Jack
03-14-2020, 09:00 AM
Having Gaiman introduce and sign the lettered and numbered editions is so cool! Not to mention the Whelan jacket on the AGE. Each edition has its own unique features not on the others.

NiceM
03-14-2020, 09:03 AM
Also wow, only 9 numbered left as of now. Congrats on the inevitable sell out Paul.

George at C-Springs
03-14-2020, 09:08 AM
So I walk into my son's room Thursday afternoon after coming home from work and he's lying in bed reading Fahrenheit 451, the anniversary edition I got him a year or so ago.

"Yay, finally!" I say, and with that typical 16-year old attitude that makes you want to punch them through a wall he wrinkles his nose and says, "What do you mean?".

"I mean it's about time you read that, it's a fantastic book, that's why I got it for you."

"No you didn't. This is from school, I have to read it for an assignment."

"Yes, I did, we got it at Barnes & Noble, I told you all about it and we picked it out. You also have ..." and then I go to one of his bookshelves and pull out The Martian Chronicles, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and The Illustrated Man. "It was right here with these."

"You never bought me this", he mouths off, accusatorily, as if I've purposely deprived him of something wonderful in life on purpose and have never bought him a book in his life. He says this as I stand gazing at his 8-foot tall bookcases and fifteen shelves of books.

"This is from school. I've never read it. You never bought me it."

And he's sitting there with the EXACT copy that I know I bought him. I think. Or maybe it was his sister. Maybe. Did I actually buy it?

Dammit, the little shit may be right. Shit.

And he's looking at me like I'm a complete idiot. Makes me want to put him through a wall.

"So, how far in are you?" I ask, "Do you know what a Fireman is yet?".

"Of course I know."

And I need to walk out of his room so we don't have an incident.

This would have been all so much easier if this had been a Suntup edition.

Aremag
03-14-2020, 09:12 AM

Was the same for me

The reason I changed this to 3 payments is because we're quite far along in production on this one. The book is already printed and is at the binder. So if all goes well, I anticipate it shipping in less than 4 months, so I needed the payments completed before shipping. There's always the PayPal 6 month option.

Makes perfect sense....was more curiousity on my part. Thanks for the answer Paul.

zelig
03-14-2020, 10:05 AM
Bradbury.
Gaiman (congrats Paul, I know you told me that his scheduling wouldnt allow him anything before at least 2 years!).
Whelan !

Well, this edition is marvelous and I love the fact that each lettered will be uniques.
I am personnally not too keen on the artist's artwork, but art is personal and the project itself is great !

Congratulations for this and I am certain that it will sell out fairly quickly !

Thanks Jeremy. Yes when it comes to art, you aren't going to please everyone. Appreciate the good words.

So I walk into my son's room Thursday afternoon after coming home from work and he's lying in bed reading Fahrenheit 451, the anniversary edition I got him a year or so ago.

"Yay, finally!" I say, and with that typical 16-year old attitude that makes you want to punch them through a wall he wrinkles his nose and says, "What do you mean?".

"I mean it's about time you read that, it's a fantastic book, that's why I got it for you."

"No you didn't. This is from school, I have to read it for an assignment."

"Yes, I did, we got it at Barnes & Noble, I told you all about it and we picked it out. You also have ..." and then I go to one of his bookshelves and pull out The Martian Chronicles, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and The Illustrated Man. "It was right here with these."

"You never bought me this", he mouths off, accusatorily, as if I've purposely deprived him of something wonderful in life on purpose and have never bought him a book in his life. He says this as I stand gazing at his 8-foot tall bookcases and fifteen shelves of books.

"This is from school. I've never read it. You never bought me it."

And he's sitting there with the EXACT copy that I know I bought him. I think. Or maybe it was his sister. Maybe. Did I actually buy it?

Dammit, the little shit may be right. Shit.

And he's looking at me like I'm a complete idiot. Makes me want to put him through a wall.

"So, how far in are you?" I ask, "Do you know what a Fireman is yet?".

"Of course I know."

And I need to walk out of his room so we don't have an incident.

This would have been all so much easier if this had been a Suntup edition.

Maybe I should be grateful I don't have any kids?

Was the same for me

Makes perfect sense....was more curiousity on my part. Thanks for the answer Paul.

No problem!

jeffingoff
03-14-2020, 10:40 AM
Congrats on the incredible sales, Paul. IAL AGE sell out, the inevitable numbered F451 sell out (1 left) and rapid movement of the F451 AGEs. All this at a very tricky time of uncertainty. Well deserved!

Brian861
03-14-2020, 11:11 AM
Congrats on the incredible sales, Paul. IAL AGE sell out, the inevitable numbered F451 sell out (1 left) and rapid movement of the F451 AGEs. All this at a very tricky time of uncertainty. Well deserved!

And it's gone. I figured it wouldn't stick around long when only 66 copies were left after I ordered this morning. Congrats, Paul!

zelig
03-14-2020, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys. Appreciate that. Fewer and fewer books in the store to sell now... I better add some more.. :-)

RichardX
03-14-2020, 11:18 AM
The very first book that I ever got signed was a paperback copy of F451. I hadn't looked at it in decades until this week when I saw Paul's announcement. Bradbury dated it Dec. 15, 1984. So I know the exact date. He was at the California Science Center in LA. The next year he signed "Death is a Lonely Business" on Halloween. I don't remember very many people being there.

George at C-Springs
03-14-2020, 11:19 AM
Ordered two copies of the AE, one for each kid; the little shit's aren't going to get the chance to win an arguement again.

shaq
03-14-2020, 11:25 AM
I am very excited I bought a numbered yesterday as part of the pre orders.

Paul made a comment about the way the next books will be announced, but just wondered, does this still give rights to the next announcement (non king) still?

Or will all be revealed next week?

jeffingoff
03-14-2020, 11:27 AM
Ordered two copies of the AE, one for each kid; the little shit's aren't going to get the chance to win an arguement again.

Hahahaha love it! Good plan!

zelig
03-14-2020, 11:35 AM

Paul made a comment about the way the next books will be announced, but just wondered, does this still give rights to the next announcement (non king) still?

Yes, previous owners will still have an opportunity to match their number or letter.

zelig
03-14-2020, 11:35 AM

Hahahaha love it! Good plan!

Yes, brilliant.

Hunchback Jack
03-14-2020, 11:41 AM
Mail call!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/930/BD487ADE-F13F-495C-B433-6FA3C3FE650B.jpeg

Gettin’ giclée wit it. (And a mug)

HBJ

jeffingoff
03-14-2020, 11:43 AM
Mail call!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/930/BD487ADE-F13F-495C-B433-6FA3C3FE650B.jpeg

Gettin’ giclée wit it. (And a mug)

HBJ

Congrats! I keep forgetting about the mug!

Aremag
03-14-2020, 11:59 AM
I need a payment plan for the mug now.

Patrick
03-14-2020, 12:02 PM
I said this elsewhere and I’ll say it again here: Ray Bradbury is one of my life-long favorite authors. I read his books repeatedly when I was younger. So I would order these anyway, but my excitement went through the roof learning of the involvement of another of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, in the Numbered Edition and one of my favorite contemporary artists, Michael Whelan, in the AGE. I am beyond thrilled with this Suntup Editions production.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-14-2020, 12:11 PM
What mug?
What did I miss out on now?

Patrick
03-14-2020, 12:12 PM
This is the Children's book that I hold dear above all others. I used to get this from the Library at least once a month.

https://pictures.abebooks.com/GUYWELLER/md/md30510719802.jpg

"I thought you were the Weather Man", said Milo, very confused. "Oh no!" said the Whether Man. "I'm the Whether Man, not the Weather Man, for after all it is more important to know whether there will be weather than what the weather will be." And with that he let off a stream of gaily coloured balloons...

Crazy that you posted this. I was reading something online a few days ago where some celebrity, I can't remember who now, said this is their favorite book. So I bought a copy to check it out and just received it a day or two ago. Seems like both the author and artist are still alive, in their 90s.
Speaking of favorites, this is another book that I absolutely loved. So much in fact that in 8th grade, my drama class elected to perform this story. The problem was that, at the time, there was no script available. Three of us divided up the book and wrote a script, which the teacher then edited and that’s the full-length show we performed for a sold out public audience. In audition, I earned the lead role of Milo. It was the pinnacle of my acting career and I retired from theater shortly thereafter.

So yes, Paul, please produce a signed limited edition of this book, preferably incorporating the original artwork because it is iconic for those of us who grew up with it. Thank you for your consideration and much gratitude to Simon for raising the topic.

Patrick
03-14-2020, 12:16 PM
What mug?
What did I miss out on now?
https://shop.suntup.press/products/suntup-editions-15oz-black-ceramic-mug

shaq
03-14-2020, 12:17 PM

Yes, previous owners will still have an opportunity to match their number or letter.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 🎆🎇✨

shaq
03-14-2020, 12:19 PM
I might order a mug, thats the one purchase i can tell my partner about lol

Hunchback Jack
03-14-2020, 12:28 PM
Congrats! I keep forgetting about the mug!

Thanks! And me too - I somehow stumbled across the mug while ordering the print, and impulse-bought it.

I will say, though, the mug won’t stay on my shelf like my Suntup editions. It will be my daily coffee mug.

sullichin
03-14-2020, 12:32 PM
I have Red Dragon numbered pre-ordered but I'm skipping out on F451. Would I still get preorder opportunity for the next numbered book?

Aremag
03-14-2020, 12:51 PM
I have Red Dragon numbered pre-ordered but I'm skipping out on F451. Would I still get preorder opportunity for the next numbered book?

I believe the person who got the number you released gets the preorder option.

zelig
03-14-2020, 12:58 PM

When you skip a book, you are not guaranteed a matching number for the next one. Whoever is allocated the number that would have been your's for Fahrenheit 451 would then be guaranteed a match to the book announced after Fahrenheit 451.

This doesn't mean you can't purchase the next book, it just means you won't be able to match to Red Dragon.

MikeDuke
03-14-2020, 01:22 PM
Yea, that's impressive that it sold out so fast. Congrats Paul.

Raenas
03-14-2020, 01:52 PM
Yea, that's impressive that it sold out so fast. Congrats Paul.

Indeed. For a non-signed (meaning the author) LE in this price range to sell out so fast truly tells something. Paul is really in touch with his audience.

herbertwest
03-14-2020, 03:22 PM
The numbered is sold out !

herbertwest
03-14-2020, 03:25 PM
I am not a publisher, therefore I am intrigued?
When a publisher is signing on an artist. How does that work?
You have done some research to know what the artist usually does. But do you get preliminary sketches first before agreeing? Do you ask a couple or half of the illustrations?
Can you cancel the project (like subterranean press did with "the shining")?

I am guessing that it depends of the contract, but how does / may it work?

zelig
03-14-2020, 03:48 PM
I am not a publisher, therefore I am intrigued?
When a publisher is signing on an artist. How does that work?
You have done some research to know what the artist usually does. But do you get preliminary sketches first before agreeing? Do you ask a couple or half of the illustrations?
Can you cancel the project (like subterranean press did with "the shining")?

I am guessing that it depends of the contract, but how does / may it work?

We spend a lot of time researching artists for each edition. Several factors come into play when making the decision, but one of the most important is overall artistic style, and how it matches the mood or theme of the story. There are many artists out there who are so darn good and sometimes it's a very tough choice. We will narrow it down, and get a deal in place. Of course, you will have a situation where the artist is not available at the time or has too much work to make the deadline, so we keep looking. Regarding sketches, yes that takes place but after we have signed the artist. As for cancelling, sure if a contract has a cancellation clause then you are in your rights to cancel.

herbertwest
03-14-2020, 03:57 PM
Thanks for that info. Just being curious :)

stroppygoblin
03-14-2020, 05:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUnI2B_6V1E

Munnecom
03-15-2020, 12:56 AM
I'm sure you've all seen this image by now. It's one of the six illustrations in Fahrenheit 451. I noticed something interesting about the books at the bottom. You can read some of the titles on the spines. From left to right:

LS THE TIME MACHI
(H.G. Wells' The Time Machine)

VERN
(Considering the rest are all classic SF authors, I'd say this is Jules Verne. The title is not shown)

B*RROUGH JOHN C*RTER OF MAR
(Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars)

CLARKE CHI
(Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End)

STARSHIP TROOPERS *** HEINLEIN
(Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers)

We all know The Time Machine is on its way. Considering Paul's love for sneaky easter eggs (remember S-O-L-L-Y), could the other titles be a sign of things to come from Suntup Editions?

https://tomurw.db.files.1drv.com/y4mULt64lA_k9U6mVQIlX1QfN94HWusyCrG1-yz_zzK7M0psmKFZnH3cDcFIJRPmAUhCe6wDd3vpgP2XqooPUsv G9_tkCFnKtRaGnWu0qpdDH85ZDaglbiFt812gXejfuj-UzMTtP41YF9Bq5ip9zguf_88dkf3E2xdXlW9du_6HIK1JhzWkX qPTTlRgx5l3M0PR-l9G8n5JnN8sR5JzNHXTw?width=440&height=660&cropmode=none

Noxus35
03-15-2020, 01:17 AM
One of the other illustrations could also imply that one of the next releases will be Gone With The Wind . 😉

zelig
03-15-2020, 02:53 AM
It would have been cool to have had a hand in this, but I’ll just say that these are not Easter eggs. The artist put those titles in there of her own accord without any guidance from me. You aren’t the first to have brought this up.

There was however something I did have a hand in related to this announcement which no one has mentioned yet.

Noxus35
03-15-2020, 03:14 AM
It would have been cool to have had a hand in this, but I’ll just say that these are not Easter eggs. The artist put those titles in there of her own accord without any guidance from me. You aren’t the first to have brought this up.

There was however something I did have a hand in related to this announcement which no one has mentioned yet.

Perhaps placing the sentence at the title page?

"Fahrenheit 451 - the temperature at which book paper catches fire and burns " 🤔

Edit: it could also be adding the bonus section and including the short story " the pedestrian" and the novella "The Fireman" .

Munnecom
03-15-2020, 04:35 AM

Is it you playing the piano in the teaser video? :dance:

zelig
03-15-2020, 04:38 AM

If that was me you'd have to block your ears!

Noxus35
03-15-2020, 04:45 AM

Lol 🤣😂

Did you burn the original book covers of the lettered edition yourself?

Room 217 Caretaker
03-15-2020, 04:48 AM

That's your face on the Fireman?

Mulleins

zelig
03-15-2020, 05:17 AM

Yes, I did.

That's your face on the Fireman?

Mulleins

Nope, it's not.

jeffingoff
03-15-2020, 05:22 AM

First of all, I’d make a lousy detective. Second of all, don’t you have a hand in EVERYTHING related to your books?

The only thing I noticed that I thought was different were the flames in the photo of the numbered edition on the product page.

Br!an
03-15-2020, 05:35 AM

The only thing I noticed that I thought was different were the flames in the photo of the numbered edition on the product page.

The phoenix.

shaq
03-15-2020, 05:36 AM
That was the first thing i checked, whetherthefiremanwas based on Paul.

Noxus35
03-15-2020, 05:37 AM

Yes, I did.

Nice! 👌🏻
It would be cool if all editions have a total page count of 451.

zelig
03-15-2020, 05:55 AM
...don’t you have a hand in EVERYTHING related to your books?

Yes, you could say that. But in this case I didn’t see the need to micro manage the artist. I like to give them as much creative freedom as I can.

That was the first thing i checked, whetherthefiremanwas based on Paul.

Ha. I’m not that self-absorbed or narcissistic to do something like that.

Dr. Dawg
03-15-2020, 06:17 AM

I watched the Facebook live again- does this have anything to do with the book on your desk that you were standing in front of until the very last seconds?

zelig
03-15-2020, 06:21 AM
No. That’s just a copy of The Institute which I don’t know what to do with because I ended up getting a signed copy and don’t need two. If someone wants it, it’s yours.

Dr. Dawg
03-15-2020, 06:23 AM
I was hoping that was the next announcement! :lol:

MikeDuke
03-15-2020, 06:27 AM
6 IAL left for those who may still have a chance at one.

zelig
03-15-2020, 06:31 AM
I was hoping that was the next announcement! :lol:

I should have also held up a sign saying, It’s not The Institute! Or I should know better than to leave books lying around in those videos. It raises questions, ya know.

Noxus35
03-15-2020, 06:42 AM
Could also be something with the release date (3/14/20). Moving numbers around, adding up and eventually you've got 451.

But that's just a wild shot on my side. 😂

stroppygoblin
03-15-2020, 06:47 AM

Did you get your own blow torch out?

jeffingoff
03-15-2020, 06:47 AM
Someone on Facebook pointed out that the announcement for the 13th publication was made on Friday the 13th

firemonkey66
03-15-2020, 06:57 AM
No. That’s just a copy of The Institute which I don’t know what to do with because I ended up getting a signed copy and don’t need two. If someone wants it, it’s yours.

I need a copy of that book, if it hasn’t already been claimed:)

And it’s been said a thousand times, but awesome choice and production on F451!

zelig
03-15-2020, 06:57 AM

Did you get your own blow torch out?

Not quite a blowtorch, but one of those long lighters with a trigger. I think I burned the last known copy of an obscure paperback from the 60s.

Not really.

zelig
03-15-2020, 07:13 AM

Thanks, and the book is yours. I'll send it along.

firemonkey66
03-15-2020, 07:20 AM

Thanks, and the book is yours. I'll send it along.

Perfect, thank you! I’m in the middle of listening to the audiobook, but haven’t gotten around to buying a hard copy for the shelf. I appreciate it.

firemonkey66
03-15-2020, 07:27 AM
Someone on Facebook pointed out that the announcement for the 13th publication was made on Friday the 13th

Isn’t F451 the 14th publication? EoTD, Misery, HoHH, Horns, RB, The Road, Brother, IAL, Time Machine, Invisible Man, War of the Worlds, Bridges, red Dragon, and F451.

jeffingoff
03-15-2020, 07:35 AM

Isn’t F451 the 14th publication? EoTD, Misery, HoHH, Horns, RB, The Road, Brother, IAL, Time Machine, Invisible Man, War of the Worlds, Bridges, red Dragon, and F451.

Obviously I’m not a reliable fact checker.

Munnecom
03-15-2020, 07:37 AM
It's the thirteenth book, though.

firemonkey66
03-15-2020, 07:38 AM

Has anybody mentioned how funny that ‘it’s not Firestarter’ cutaway at the end of the teaser video was? It got me laughing out loud to have the normal fine production teaser video followed with that dry humor reality shot. Like saying ‘ya ya, it’s a bunch of flames, but I know what you’re thinking, and it’s NOT Firestarter.’ Hahaha, that was good!

firemonkey66
03-15-2020, 07:39 AM
It's the thirteenth book, though.

The EoTD portfolio came with a book, though:) Just playing devils advocate!

Noxus35
03-15-2020, 07:44 AM
I'm just curious why did you choose to give each lettered edition a different burned original cover ?
And , god forbid though, did you burn the original books of which you used the covers? 🤔

Room 217 Caretaker
03-15-2020, 07:52 AM
Question. The 26 original covers. Are they reproduction copies or real original covers. If so, what a feat finding them.

Mulleins

webstar1000
03-15-2020, 07:58 AM
Question. The 26 original covers. Are they reproduction copies or real original covers. If so, what a feat finding them.

Mulleins

Great question

webstar1000
03-15-2020, 07:58 AM
Is everything sold out?

jeffingoff
03-15-2020, 08:02 AM
Is everything sold out?

There are AGEs. If you’re asking about F451.

webstar1000
03-15-2020, 08:02 AM
Is everything sold out?

There are AGEs. If you’re asking about F451.

Yep k thanks

shaq
03-15-2020, 08:04 AM

Mulleins

And how many did you burn to get the perfect shapes

shaq
03-15-2020, 08:10 AM
Duplicate post

becca69
03-15-2020, 08:14 AM

Mulleins

They are original.

Room 217 Caretaker
03-15-2020, 08:17 AM

Mulleins

They are original.

Wow! Excellent job locating them. What a fun project.

Mulleins

zelig
03-15-2020, 08:19 AM
I'm just curious why did you choose to give each lettered edition a different burned original cover ?
And , god forbid though, did you burn the original books of which you used the covers? [emoji848]

It’s a look back at the publishing history of the book. So the idea is to show a different cover on each edition, thereby providing that retrospective mentioned on the announcement page. The way I see this is that it’s partly a found art piece.

Fahrenheit has been published in so many different editions, and I really didn’t want to do anything cutesy or gimmicky, or even try to compete with other editions. So instead of coming up with yet another ‘clever’ design, the idea developed to simply show what had been done before, but in a new way. It’s just found art in my opinion, with the added benefit of a leather bound book, and the interiors beautifully designed and printed. And of course it’s the great novel; with all of these elements coming together to create this fully formed object. Call it a book. Call it art. What ever you’d like. It’s something complete, born out of some sort of universal spirit of creation, and something you can hold and turn over and open up and feel and experience and put down and feel good about. Anyway, that’s the intention.

It didn’t matter to me that the covers were primarily paperbacks. Some of the best covers are the paperback ones. But what I’ve really enjoyed seeing is people pointing out the cover they remember reading for the first time and the sense of nostalgia that comes along with it.

I will tell you that finding the screws that are used to affix the acrylic panel to the cover was a nightmare and took forever. The biggest screw suppliers in the world didn’t even have what I needed. It had to be a Chicago screw and a very specific length, head and barrel diameter. No one had one that small. Eventually I found a company in Canada who made them, and at that point you could say the frustration was only beginning. Anyway I won’t bore you with the details. After many months I actually have the screws, which are perfect. Covers burned, check. Acrylic panels cut, check. Book designed and printed, check. Art done, check. Materials ordered, check. What’s left. Ah, yes we must now bind them! The final step in the process.

You see, sometimes it’s best not to ask me a simple question because I have a tendency to provide a not so brief answer.

And no, I did not burn the books. Just the covers.

jeffingoff
03-15-2020, 08:29 AM
And , god forbid though, did you burn the original books of which you used the covers? [emoji848]

It’s a look back at the publishing history of the book. So the idea is to show a different cover on each edition, thereby providing that retrospective mentioned on the announcement page. The way I see this is that it’s partly a found art piece.

Fahrenheit has been published in so many different editions, and I really didn’t want to do anything cutesy or gimmicky, or even try to compete with other editions. So instead of coming up with yet another ‘clever’ design, the idea developed to simply show what had been done before, but in a new way. It’s just found art in my opinion, with the added benefit of a leather bound book, and the interiors beautifully designed and printed. And of course it’s the great novel; with all of these elements coming together to create this fully formed object. Call it a book. Call it art. What ever you’d like. It’s something complete, born out of some sort of universal spirit of creation, and something you can hold and turn over and open up and feel and experience and put down and feel good about. Anyway, that’s the intention.

It didn’t matter to me that the covers were primarily paperbacks. Some of the best covers are the paperback ones. But what I’ve really enjoyed seeing is people pointing out the cover they remember reading for the first time and the sense of nostalgia that comes along with it.

I will tell you that finding the screws that are used to affix the acrylic panel to the cover was a nightmare and took forever. The biggest screw suppliers in the world didn’t even have what I needed. It had to be a Chicago screw and a very specific length, head and barrel diameter. No one had one that small. Eventually I found a company in Canada who made them, and at that point you could say the frustration was only beginning. Anyway I won’t bore you with the details. After many months I actually have the screws, which are perfect. Covers burned, check. Acrylic panels cut, check. Book designed and printed, check. Art done, check. Materials ordered, check. What’s left. Ah, yes we must now bind them! The final step in the process.

You see, sometimes it’s best not to ask me a simple question because I have a tendency to provide a not so brief answer.

And no, I did not burn the books. Just the covers.

Take as long as you want with the answer!

When I saw all those covers, crispy around the edges, the message I received was the power and endurance of the written word. The failure of censorship. And the triumph of the human spirit. The book has a long history and is still very relevant. It has a message that cannot be destroyed. It rises through the ashes.

zelig
03-15-2020, 08:35 AM
Yes quite true Jeff.

Mulleins

They are original.

Mulleins

Yes I must thank Br!an for his assistance in locating many of these. We ended up with a few short, and I wasn't sure if there were that many different covers out there. I did manage to dig up the remaining balance though. Using originals was important to me, I didn't want to make a copy of a cover and burn that.

Mulleins

And how many did you burn to get the perfect shapes

Just one of each. I sort of 'sculpted' them with the fire to get those different shapes. Of course, I didn't have complete control over how the flames burned the paper, but I could turn the cover to direct the flame, and burn certain places, etc.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-15-2020, 08:45 AM
I just looked and I don't have a copy of FAHRENHEIT 451, although I know I read it. I must have taken it out of the library. Now I'll have two copies and I will be able to read it again. What a red hot deal!

zelig
03-15-2020, 08:47 AM
I just looked and I don't have a copy of FAHRENHEIT 451, although I know I read it. I must have taken it out of the library. Now I'll have two copies and I will be able to read it again. What a red hot deal!

You can add those two to the other 14 I know you have stashed away over there. Tell me I’m wrong.

Br!an
03-15-2020, 08:48 AM

Mulleins

They are original.

Mulleins

Some were more common but some were fairly rare. Not necessarily valuable but few on the market.

Hunchback Jack
03-15-2020, 09:04 AM
I will tell you that finding the screws that are used to affix the acrylic panel to the cover was a nightmare and took forever. The biggest screw suppliers in the world didn’t even have what I needed. It had to be a Chicago screw and a very specific length, head and barrel diameter. No one had one that small. Eventually I found a company in Canada who made them, and at that point you could say the frustration was only beginning. Anyway I won’t bore you with the details. After many months I actually have the screws, which are perfect.

This, right here, is why I’m a customer of yours for as long as you keep publishing, Paul. The combination of creative vision and tenacity.

And I love hearing about little details like this - the intention behind a particular design, and the nuts and bolts (or screws) of putting everything together.

Maybe one day, you’ll put a memoir together of your experiences in producing each of these publications - “Suntup stories”, if you will.

zelig
03-15-2020, 09:09 AM
I will tell you that finding the screws that are used to affix the acrylic panel to the cover was a nightmare and took forever. The biggest screw suppliers in the world didn’t even have what I needed. It had to be a Chicago screw and a very specific length, head and barrel diameter. No one had one that small. Eventually I found a company in Canada who made them, and at that point you could say the frustration was only beginning. Anyway I won’t bore you with the details. After many months I actually have the screws, which are perfect.

This, right here, is why I’m a customer of yours for as long as you keep publishing, Paul. The combination of creative vision and tenacity.

And I love hearing about little details like this - the intention behind a particular design, and the nuts and bolts (or screws) of putting everything together.

Maybe one day, you’ll put a memoir together of your experiences in producing each of these publications - “Suntup stories”, if you will.

Well, thank you! It might be a very short memoir what with my memory!

jeffingoff
03-15-2020, 09:52 AM
Is the Suntup logo in the wallpaper on the one piece?

Edit—the F451 art that features the fireman and the burning books.

zelig
03-15-2020, 10:26 AM
No. There’s nothing planted in the art.

Ari_Racing
03-15-2020, 10:49 AM
Once again, nothing I could say would make justice. Incredible editions for an incredible book. CONGRATS!!

zelig
03-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Thanks Ari.

MikeDuke
03-15-2020, 10:58 AM
The story of the lettered covers was amazing Paul. At least to me. And you attention to detail on what is needed right down to getting the correct screw to secure the front of lettered, amazing.

You are right on Peter. Paul is one who goes the extra distance to get last bit of detail out of everything he does. Which is why I am also a customer for life.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-15-2020, 11:23 AM
You subscribe to Life?
I thought they went out of business.

MikeDuke
03-15-2020, 12:09 PM
You subscribe to Life?
I thought they went out of business.
For life Steve FOR. Not too Life :).

Noxus35
03-15-2020, 12:13 PM
"It's not Firestarter" (teaser, brilliant by the way 😉 ) but yet you commisioned Michael Whelan to do part of the artwork for F451.
Does that mean Firestarter with artwork by Michael Whelan is not really out of the question in the future.

webstar1000
03-15-2020, 12:59 PM
"It's not Firestarter" (teaser, brilliant by the way 😉 ) but yet you commisioned Michael Whelan to do part of the artwork for F451.
Does that mean Firestarter with artwork by Michael Whelan is not really out of the question in the future.

Whelan already did Firestarter... why would he again?

shaq
03-15-2020, 03:28 PM
Can I ask a question regarding the AGE.

On your site, it shows the book with the cover blocked with message full jacket to be revealed but on the pre order we saw the full cover.

Was this a bonus for those with preorders and leaving the reveal until delivery for the others who purchased it?

evg321
03-15-2020, 03:31 PM
It was later removed for the preorders also , so only the earlier preorders got a glimpse :)

evg321
03-15-2020, 03:33 PM
I was lucky enough to see it and it's pretty good !

zelig
03-15-2020, 04:01 PM

On your site, it shows the book with the cover blocked with message full jacket to be revealed but on the pre order we saw the full cover.

Was this a bonus for those with preorders and leaving the reveal until delivery for the others who purchased it?

So based on the quote in your signature, now you have to beg for forgiveness!

Patrick
03-15-2020, 10:51 PM

I noticed that as well and thought it odd. Then I rationalized that it was only up for the preorders. However it now sounds like a decision was made, or an error fixed, after the preorder link was distributed.

Thanks for telling us about the covers for the Lettered editions. I was already certain that the burnt covers were originals and therefore took some effort to track down, but I never would have thought the mechanics of the other aspects of the covers would be so much work. In any case, it’s a wonderful way to make each of the copies truly unique.

Hunchback Jack
03-15-2020, 11:16 PM
It's nice to see some classic UK edition covers on some of the lettered editions of F451. I "grew up" with some of those covers - my father owns a copy with one of them, for example - so I'm glad theyare included.

HBJ

Patrick
03-15-2020, 11:35 PM
Paul, is the printed paper covering on the AGE slipcase a photo from when you were making the teaser video of the flames?

In the teaser video, at the point of the still shot in the video with the “3/14/2020” date: the flames look like they’re holding the profile of a dragon. Was this intentional? Or am I just assigning meaning to random shapes?

What is the name of the song playing in the video? I swear it sounds familiar.

One last thing, for anyone who still has the preorder email, isn’t that Whelan’s cover art?

shaq
03-16-2020, 12:21 AM

Oops, definately asking forgiveness. I want me books lol

shaq
03-16-2020, 12:48 AM
Ps new to the pre order game.

Noted.... what goes on in preorder stays in preorder.

stroppygoblin
03-16-2020, 01:22 AM

In the circle of trust, there are circles within circles...

zelig
03-16-2020, 07:15 AM
Oops, definately asking forgiveness. I want me books lol

All good shaq. I can't comment on the art but we will be posting a separate announcement to reveal the full Whelan jacket. And we're doing a giclée print of it! It's really beautiful.

Paul, is the printed paper covering on the AGE slipcase a photo from when you were making the teaser video of the flames?

In the teaser video, at the point of the still shot in the video with the “3/14/2020” date: the flames look like they’re holding the profile of a dragon. Was this intentional? Or am I just assigning meaning to random shapes?

What is the name of the song playing in the video? I swear it sounds familiar.

One last thing, for anyone who still has the preorder email, isn’t that Whelan’s cover art?

No that flame print is not related at all to the flames in the video. As for this profile of a dragon, yes I would say you are assigning meaning to random shapes! :-) But that's pretty cool.

I purchase the music tracks from a royalty free audio site and this teaser has two different tracks I edited together. One is the piano and the other I found in the Metal/Rock category which I liked. I think they work well together. It has no name, other than Metal Cinematic Trailer.

As for the pre-order email question, yes that's part of it but it was replaced soon after the first round went out. Being a private pre-order, I'd like for it to be kept that way. We'll do the full reveal soon.

In the circle of trust, there are circles within circles...

Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel
Like a snowball down a mountain, or a carnival balloon
Like a carousel that's turning running rings around the moon

St. Troy
03-16-2020, 07:39 AM
Has anybody mentioned how funny that ‘it’s not Firestarter’ cutaway at the end of the teaser video was? It got me laughing out loud to have the normal fine production teaser video followed with that dry humor reality shot.

That was phenomenal, going from the slick, professional video to ordinary man at desk anticipating unwanted questions.

jeffingoff
03-16-2020, 07:52 AM
Has anybody mentioned how funny that ‘it’s not Firestarter’ cutaway at the end of the teaser video was? It got me laughing out loud to have the normal fine production teaser video followed with that dry humor reality shot.

That was phenomenal, going from the slick, professional video to ordinary man at desk anticipating unwanted questions.

Brilliant! The downside of such a vocal community of collectors is that we are vocal with everything! hahahahahaha

Noxus35
03-16-2020, 08:14 AM
I think i found, i think i actually did .

On twitter you posted the teaser video and your scribbling "it's not Firestarter" and somewhere in between there a flame quickly appears and within that you could see the shape of the fireman. Or at least that's what my eyes perceive.
It's really quick and at the end of the video there is a statement from Paul ; Watch Again. 😎

Am i right Paul? 🤔

Edit: can't find it anymore, could have been because i paused it somewhere in between.

Br!an
03-16-2020, 08:30 AM
I can't find what you are describing. Screen shot it if you find it again.

I'm seeing a lot of crazy stuff in the flames.

zelig
03-16-2020, 08:33 AM
I think i found, i think i actually did .

On twitter you posted the teaser video and your scribbling "it's not Firestarter" and somewhere in between there a flame quickly appears and within that you could see the shape of the fireman. Or at least that's what my eyes perceive.
It's really quick and at the end of the video there is a statement from Paul ; Watch Again. 😎

Am i right Paul? 🤔

Edit: can't find it anymore, could have been because i paused it somewhere in between.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

Noxus35
03-16-2020, 08:36 AM
Lol. Think it's because i paused the video and a bit of the previous frame was repeated when starting it up again. 🤣

lotuz
03-16-2020, 11:36 AM
Is there a story/reason behind the random gray rock on your desk while you're writing the "IT'S NOT FIRESTARTER" note?

There are the scale models, the geode, the EOTD New Year print, and various other standard desk-type stuff, and then there's a normal looking rock. With two kids, I find random rocks and sticks and other stuff around all the time - in my pockets, in every cup holder, etc. But I don't think there are many kids running around casa Suntup, and your desk is much, much tidier than mine. Yet it's still just sitting there, out in the open, minding it's own business (and possibly portending some other event or contest or whatever else you may have cooked up). Or, quite possibly, it's just a rock!

zelig
03-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Is there a story/reason behind the random gray rock on your desk while you're writing the "IT'S NOT FIRESTARTER" note?

There are the scale models, the geode, the ETOD New Year print, and various other standard desk-type stuff, and then there's a normal looking rock. With two kids, I find random rocks and sticks and other stuff around all the time - in my pockets, in every cup holder, etc. But I don't think there are many kids running around casa Suntup, and your desk is much, much tidier than mine. Yet it's still just sitting there, out in the open, minding it's own business (and possibly portending some other event or contest or whatever else you may have cooked up). Or, quite possibly, it's just a rock!

Yeah, it's weird. Seems out of place. I wonder if you're onto something there.

Patrick
03-16-2020, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the answers, Paul. For the avoidance of doubt, I don’t spoil other people’s secrets. Looking forward to your formal reveal and also the giclee print to follow!

Still I swear there’s a dragon’s profile in those flames.

zelig
03-16-2020, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all the answers, Paul. For the avoidance of doubt, I don’t spoil other people’s secrets. Looking forward to your formal reveal and also the giclee print to follow!

Still I swear there’s a dragon’s profile in those flames.

The dragon has been shadowing me since 1987 when I discovered The Eyes of the Dragon. So it doesn't surprise me that the flame image I chose has one hiding in there. I certainly didn't see it.

shaq
03-16-2020, 12:45 PM
Paul, my thoughts in the spoiler.... per Patrick, your announcement, so my actual guess hidden below.

If I’m wrong, it will sound silly, but were you the stoneman / stone hand at the press? If so, super cool. I’ll let you explain if correct, if wrong, I will expand my thoughts...imposition..

Edited to add, it’s not this, but I was sure as hell it was.....

To quote letterpress wiki site...

Broadly, imposition or imposing is the process by which the tied assemblages of type are converted into a form (or forme) ready to use on the press. A person charged with imposition is a stoneman or stonehand, doing their work on a large, flat imposition stone (though some later ones were instead made of iron).

In the more specific modern sense, imposition is the technique of arranging the various pages of type with respect to one another. Depending on page size and the sheet of paper used, several pages may be printed at once on a single sheet. After printing, these are cut and trimmed before folding or binding.

The only other thing I found was a printing press in the Bronx called ‘solid rock printing press’ but not got a scoobies how that would link to Paul lol

I give up.

shaq
03-16-2020, 12:59 PM
To add....I’m not going to quit my day job. Not a detective either!

T-Dogz_AK47
03-16-2020, 01:00 PM
Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel
Like a snowball down a mountain, or a carnival balloon
Like a carousel that's turning running rings around the moon

Like a clock whose hands are sweeping past the minutes of its face
And the world is like an apple whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind!

(*Applause) Thank you! (*Standing ovation) Paul and I are here all week. Tickets available at the box office... :cool:

Randall Flagg
03-16-2020, 01:28 PM
BOTP

MikeDuke
03-17-2020, 05:18 AM
I ALWAYS love it when I get the Confirm Address from Suntup. It means the time is very near for shipping :excited:.

Aremag
03-17-2020, 09:43 AM
New update is intriguing. I guess one book might be 1984 and have no guesses on the others. Might be too much for my wallet to continue the numbered but I'll have to see what the books are.

CyberGhostface
03-17-2020, 09:45 AM
From the newsletter.

This is a very famous and chilling story written by an author whose work we have previously published, although this time it is truly a family affair. The introduction is penned by the author's son, and the artist is the author's grandson! The book will be available in two states: Lettered and Numbered, both bearing the signatures of the introduction author and the artist.

So tell me what you guys think about this guess: We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson.

I say this because Shirley Jackson's grandson is an artist and previously illustrated the graphic novel of 'The Lottery'.

https://www.amazon.com/Shirley-Jacksons-Lottery-Authorized-Adaptation/dp/0809066505

Hunchback Jack
03-17-2020, 09:49 AM
From the newsletter.

This is a very famous and chilling story written by an author whose work we have previously published, although this time it is truly a family affair. The introduction is penned by the author's son, and the artist is the author's grandson! The book will be available in two states: Lettered and Numbered, both bearing the signatures of the introduction author and the artist.

So tell me what you guys think about this guess: We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson.

I say this because Shirley Jackson's grandson is an artist and previously illustrated the graphic novel of 'The Lottery'.

https://www.amazon.com/Shirley-Jacksons-Lottery-Authorized-Adaptation/dp/0809066505

That was also my guess. The third might be Nineteen Eighty-Four, I think. The second is a mystery (pun intended).

CyberGhostface
03-17-2020, 09:51 AM
I hope it is. I really like the book and Centipede's version will probably be around $600 (and based on photos of their 'Haunting of Hill House' will be huge and take up a lot of space).

willie3
03-17-2020, 10:03 AM
From the newsletter.

Agree with the Authors, but let’s go back to the rock on Mr Paul’s desk.
Thinking we may get a Suntup production of “The Lottery”

jeffingoff
03-17-2020, 10:06 AM
From the newsletter.

That was also my guess. The third might be Nineteen Eighty-Four, I think. The second is a mystery (pun intended).

WHAT IF 1984 is signed by Cormac McCarthy?? OR STEPHEN KING???

I agree about the Shirley Jackson guess.

Brian861
03-17-2020, 10:06 AM
New update is intriguing. I guess one book might be 1984 and have no guesses on the others. Might be too much for my wallet to continue the numbered but I'll have to see what the books are.

I thought the first one might be The Island of Dr. Moreau but Phillip's guess is probably the correct one.

No clue on the second.

Agreed that the third is most likely 1984. No AGE's with the next three announcements either.

I might be reluctantly jumping off as well as at least two of the next three will be of no interested to me at the numbered level. I'm hoping for more modern announcements down the road. I'm sure they'll all be great editions and well sought out all the same.

Noxus35
03-17-2020, 10:11 AM
Interesting... All books appear in two states; Lettered and Numbered, no AGE.

jeffingoff
03-17-2020, 10:13 AM

Yeah that makes sense if the first one is a Shirley Jackson book since HHH didn't have an AGE either. But it's a big bummer for me since, at a book a month, I more than likely won't be able to keep up with the numbered editions.

Munnecom
03-17-2020, 10:18 AM
After 1984, my second guess for the third title was Lord of the Flies. Stephen King is a big fan of that one.

MikeDuke
03-17-2020, 10:19 AM
It's quite the rush isn't it. Let's just hope that some of them are in the range of HG Wells, Red Dragon and 451. But I am looking forward to seeing what they are.

Munnecom
03-17-2020, 10:23 AM
Paul, can you reveal anything at this stage about prices? Will these all be in the $500-700 range?

zelig
03-17-2020, 10:30 AM
Paul, can you reveal anything at this stage about prices? Will these all be in the $500-700 range?

I haven't finalized pricing yet, but know that I am committed to keeping prices as low as I can without compromising quality. The ones in April and May should be palatable. June may be a little higher. I am very aware of prices, and always do my best to make them as favorable as possible.

kingfan2323
03-17-2020, 10:34 AM
Like a few people mentioned- I am sure they will be nice but depending on prices may have to jump off the numbered track as well. I understand "strike while hot" but shit!

Agree some more modern stuff would be cool.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MikeDuke
03-17-2020, 10:38 AM
Well that's good to hear Paul about the prices. But I know you won't compromise so the price is the price. I have an idea of what palatable is for me, but it may differ from yours and everybody else's
so I will keep it to myself.
P.S I hope you can stay on as long as you can Jeff. It would be a shame if you could not.

Noxus35
03-17-2020, 10:51 AM

Yeah that makes sense if the first one is a Shirley Jackson book since HHH didn't have an AGE either. But it's a big bummer for me since, at a book a month, I more than likely won't be able to keep up with the numbered editions.

I'm sure it is for you, it's a bummer and i really like those Suntup unboxing videos you do.

It makes me wonder though, the rock on his desk could have been hinting to Shirley Jackson as previously stated by Willie3 but i do think it to be We Have Always Lived in the Castle.
Maybe "The Lottery" will be a bonus, if the guesses are correct.

I wonder if there were any ARC's made of Fahrenheit 451. 🤔

jeffingoff
03-17-2020, 11:01 AM

I'm sure it is for you, it's a bummer and i really like those Suntup unboxing videos you do.

It makes me wonder though, the rock on his desk could have been hinting to Shirley Jackson as previously stated by Willie3 but i do think it to be We Have Always Lived in the Castle.
Maybe "The Lottery" will be a bonus, if the guesses are correct.

I wonder if there were any ARC's made of Fahrenheit 451. 🤔

Even if I have to skip a book, I'll always be watching and ready to pounce where I can. There will be at the very least 9 more Suntup unboxing videos in the future. :) And I'll own the first 11 non-King numbered editions, every AGE to date, and TWO ARCS! Not bad. So no tears for me. The only thing that would bother me more than having to skip a book would be if Paul lowers his standards.

EDIT: And thank you for the kind words about the videos.

OldCrow88
03-17-2020, 11:03 AM
From the newsletter.

Agree with the Authors, but let’s go back to the rock on Mr Paul’s desk.
Thinking we may get a Suntup production of “The Lottery”

Castles built of stone. Just a thought.

Garrell
03-17-2020, 11:20 AM
The Lottery. Stoning?

OldCrow88
03-17-2020, 11:22 AM
The Lottery. Stoning?

Roger that, was just thinking of another possible use for the stone. These little mysteries are fun.

zelig
03-17-2020, 12:07 PM
I will give away a PC Numbered edition of the next book to the person who has correctly made the connection first. Will provide details next month.

Room 217 Caretaker
03-17-2020, 12:32 PM
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy

I think the rock represents a meteor.

Mulleins

Patrick
03-17-2020, 12:36 PM
“who has made” or “who makes”? The wording sounds like the correct association has already been made. I dunno, but a Suntup book that includes The Lottery would be cool to own.

zelig
03-17-2020, 12:54 PM
“who has made” or “who makes”? The wording sounds like the correct association has already been made. I dunno, but a Suntup book that includes The Lottery would be cool to own.

Yes, to clarify, no more guesses are needed. There is already a winner.

Patrick
03-17-2020, 12:56 PM
After 1984, my second guess for the third title was Lord of the Flies. Stephen King is a big fan of that one.
I would love a Suntup Edition of THE LORD OF THE FLIES.

willie3
03-17-2020, 12:58 PM
I’ll stand by The Lottery being the April announcement.
I agree with the June announcement being 1984. I seem to recall Joe Hill mentioning this book as one of his favorites, or a major influence.

No clue with the mystery anthology, but very excited !!

Patrick
03-17-2020, 01:04 PM

Congrats to whomever here figured it out. We’ll all know for certain in a month.

Noxus35
03-17-2020, 01:06 PM

Congrats to whomever here figured it out. We’ll all know for certain in a month.

Indeed, congratulations to the winner who has yet to know he's the winner. 👍🏻💐

jeffingoff
03-17-2020, 01:13 PM
Is there a prize for guessing the winner? Because I think it’s Willie3

zelig
03-17-2020, 01:53 PM

No, there's no prize for that but nice try ;-)

Noxus35
03-17-2020, 01:55 PM

You can't blame him for trying to win an ARC. 😁

jeffingoff
03-17-2020, 02:41 PM

You can't blame him for trying to win an ARC. [emoji16]

Yeah I’m greedy.

MikeDuke
03-17-2020, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't call you greedy Jeff. You are just a guy who sees the angles and tries to work them (I mean that in a good way :smile:).

MikeDuke
03-17-2020, 03:26 PM
And in case people haven't noticed, The Time Machine has a tentative ship date of 3/25. But not for the RN.

Hunchback Jack
03-17-2020, 03:37 PM

That's an intriguing thought, but is it dystopian? I guess it might be.

It also occurred to me that it might be Brave New World, but I assumed that novel was written much less than 70 years ago. Turns out, it was written over 15 years *before* Nineteen Eighty-Four, which means it's probably too old. That really surprised me, incidentally - it reads like something written in the sixties. (And, like Nineteen Eighty-Four, should be required reading)

HBJ

St. Troy
03-17-2020, 04:44 PM
I wonder if the mystery collection is a new collection (the first time these stories have been so grouped) or if they are already considered a group.

OldCrow88
03-17-2020, 04:47 PM
March, April, May, AND June announcements. My wife refers to books as my "mistress". Paul's got a variation of Robert Palmer's lyrics ringing in my head: "He's so fine, there's no telling where the money went."

ruderabbit
03-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Hello good people,

In case anyone is interested in Suntup Lettered editions, Misery Limited, rights and whatnot. Also, a few King artist and gift editions.

My wife and I have been collector's and seller's of collectible books for twenty or so years, we will package any books you purchase from us with great care.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/ruderabbit/m.html?item=303516606302&hash=item46aaffdf5e%3Ag%3AkpoAAOSwl4xeacmY&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Rock On,

Mark

George at C-Springs
03-17-2020, 07:56 PM
I don't know what the mystery collection second through sixth stories might be, but I know absolutely what the first story NEEDS to be:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/TB1.jpg

shaq
03-18-2020, 12:46 AM
Not sure what the mystery stories are, but looks like each story was published by one publisher before as they are writing the introduction.

Paul's description in the announcement:

'This is a very unique book for us as it marks our first release in the mystery genre, containing six stories by six different authors, along with a new introduction written by the original publisher of these tales. The edition will be available in two states: Lettered and Numbered. Both editions are signed by all contributing authors, as well as the artist.'

Noxus35
03-18-2020, 01:00 AM
And living authors. 😉

ExtremeWaysABA
03-18-2020, 07:05 PM
I’d be very interested in your Rosemary’s Baby at issue price (plus shipping) if you happen to still have it. I can’t send a DM for some bizarre reason, so this is my best shot. Thanks so much ym2000. Best wishes to you!

Joe315
03-18-2020, 07:42 PM
I’d be very interested in your Rosemary’s Baby at issue price (plus shipping) if you happen to still have it. I can’t send a DM for some bizarre reason, so this is my best shot. Thanks so much ym2000. Best wishes to you!

You need 5 posts to send a private message.

ExtremeWaysABA
03-18-2020, 07:47 PM
Gotcha!! Thanks for the notice. I truly appreciate it. Best wishes!

Hunchback Jack
03-19-2020, 08:17 AM
Fahrenheit 451 AGE cover reveal, and giclée print up for sale!

https://suntup.press/news/fahrenheit-451-artist-gift-edition-jacket-revealed/

HBJ

webstar1000
03-19-2020, 08:38 AM

I told Yegor to come here and see ya:)

Brian861
03-19-2020, 10:30 AM

HBJ

Kinda looks like a young Eastwood.

ExtremeWaysABA
03-19-2020, 11:26 AM
Thank you so much webstar1000! He has reached out 👍🏻

Noxus35
03-19-2020, 12:35 PM

HBJ

Love the artwork, also like the "transition" of the pages into the white doves. 😉

It makes me want to listen to When Doves Cry by Prince.

Br!an
03-19-2020, 12:43 PM

HBJ

Love the artwork, also like the "transition" of the pages into the white doves. 😉

It makes me want to listen to When Doves Cry by Prince.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUc0R8bbWQE

George at C-Springs
03-19-2020, 01:05 PM
I was looking for that "Large with Remarque" option Paul!

zelig
03-19-2020, 01:12 PM
I was looking for that "Large with Remarque" option Paul!

Darn, I knew I forgot something! There's only 1 copy and it was made just for you.

George at C-Springs
03-19-2020, 01:49 PM
Smartass :tongue1:

zelig
03-19-2020, 02:17 PM
The two remaining Fahrenheit Lettered editions have now sold through the lottery.

MikeDuke
03-19-2020, 02:26 PM
The two remaining Fahrenheit Lettered editions have now sold through the lottery.
That's awesome Paul. It looks like a great book. There are still 252 GE with that wonderful DJ.

willie3
03-19-2020, 06:04 PM
Always a great day when you get a Suntup shipping notification.
The Time Machine on it’s way !!
Thank you Mr Paul !!

Kingfan24
03-19-2020, 06:06 PM
Always a great day when you get a Suntup shipping notification.
War of the Worlds on it’s way !!
Thank you Mr Paul !!

War of the worlds?

willie3
03-19-2020, 06:09 PM
Post corrected, but too late to avoid looking like a dumb ass

Meant to type The Time Machine, but...

MikeDuke
03-19-2020, 06:58 PM
It is always awesome to get a shipping notice. I can't wait.

Munnecom
03-19-2020, 09:07 PM

If only you had a time machine...

willie3
03-20-2020, 05:01 AM
In a futile attempt to look less like a dumb ass, or at least not the only one,
I present this eBay auction

http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Invisible-Man-Numbered-Edition-Suntup-Press/184218301650?hash=item2ae44434d2:g:uJcAAOSwvFtedE4 L (http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Invisible-Man-Numbered-Edition-Suntup-Press/184218301650?hash=item2ae44434d2:g:uJcAAOSwvFtedE4 L)

willie3
03-20-2020, 05:02 AM

If only you had a time machine...

Soon. Very soon.

jeffingoff
03-20-2020, 06:45 AM
In a futile attempt to look less like a dumb ass, or at least not the only one,
I present this eBay auction

http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Invisible-Man-Numbered-Edition-Suntup-Press/184218301650?hash=item2ae44434d2:g:uJcAAOSwvFtedE4 L (http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Invisible-Man-Numbered-Edition-Suntup-Press/184218301650?hash=item2ae44434d2:g:uJcAAOSwvFtedE4 L)

The seller updated the title of the auction and then sold the hell out of it. I will say the seller was kind to sell the book at cost.

kingfan2323
03-20-2020, 05:23 PM
Excitement about the Suntup edition and recommendation from Swintek (Thanks, Ron) caused me to add this to my collection. Inscribed by the artist to the late publisher Jim Baen. Thought I'd share. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200321/faa8cdf2b157a7d01f013ca51a561548.jpg

seeking: anything #246 Dark Tower

Patrick
03-20-2020, 05:25 PM
That’s cool!

ExtremeWaysABA
03-20-2020, 06:04 PM
Very cool!! I can’t wait to see people getting WOTW into their hands!

ExtremeWaysABA
03-20-2020, 06:05 PM
Also, kudos to Paul for the final sale of the two lottery F451 letters. That is a truly gorgeous book!

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-20-2020, 06:35 PM
What was the mixup Tom Kidd was referring to?

kingfan2323
03-20-2020, 06:50 PM
What was the mixup Tom Kidd was referring to?Guessing he sent him the wrong book that was signed to someone else but not sure.

NiceM
03-20-2020, 11:46 PM
Lol super cool, I found a copy last month for the exact same reason! Love Tom Kidd and when I found out he illustrated WotW I picked up a copy from EBay:)

Noxus35
03-21-2020, 12:20 AM
That's one very cool edition to own, enjoy it! 👌🏻👍🏻

MikeDuke
03-21-2020, 05:19 AM
My tracking says I should get The Time Machine Monday. TBH, that would amazing. I am expecting Tues though which is still awesome. Can't wait. Then IAL in April if all goes well. Things are looking mighty fine in Suntup land :).

kingfan2323
03-21-2020, 09:48 AM
That's one very cool edition to own, enjoy it! [emoji1305][emoji1303]Thanks, guys. It's well done.

St. Troy
03-22-2020, 10:09 AM
In another thread, I recently wrote:

I just finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Fantastic writing, and a subtle plot revolving around a group of college students whose studies are isolated with each other and one professor. We learn who they are as the dynamics of their individual and collective relationships pulse with surrounding events.

Easily the best thing I've read this year, probably the best thing I've read since Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear in 2018, and one of the best things I've read in the last 10 or 20 years. I highly recommend it and can't wait to read more from Tartt.

...which all adds up to the fact that a Suntup edition of The Secret History could be a great thing.

NiceM
03-22-2020, 10:18 AM

I just finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Fantastic writing, and a subtle plot revolving around a group of college students whose studies are isolated with each other and one professor. We learn who they are as the dynamics of their individual and collective relationships pulse with surrounding events.

Easily the best thing I've read this year, probably the best thing I've read since Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear in 2018, and one of the best things I've read in the last 10 or 20 years. I highly recommend it and can't wait to read more from Tartt.

...which all adds up to the fact that a Suntup edition of The Secret History could be a great thing.

I have been throwing this out there when ever we are asked for books we want to see published! Would go wild for the secret history!!!

jeffingoff
03-22-2020, 10:43 AM

I have been throwing this out there when ever we are asked for books we want to see published! Would go wild for the secret history!!!

I'll have to check this book out--Suntup Edition or not. Thanks for the recommendation.

zachip
03-22-2020, 11:23 AM
Maybe a stretch but hope someone could kindly help.
Looking for time machine suntup limited.
I actually was dumb enough to pass it to cut the budget.
But this coronoa quarantine keeping all of us at home.
My teen kid got little depress from it, and I wanted to cheer him up a little as this is his favourite book. He doesn't know nothing about limited but I wanted to gift him a nice special edition.
Anyone maybe has a spare copy for issue price?. Thanks in advance.

Cook
03-22-2020, 11:28 AM

I don't think it'll happen, rumor is Donna Tartt is a pretty fussy individual ? (very controlling?)
But as I stated "rumor", I really personally don't know what she's like.

I would love to see it happen, I love her work.

jeffingoff
03-22-2020, 11:40 AM

I don't think it'll happen, rumor is Donna Tartt is a pretty fussy individual ? (very controlling?)

Well, Donna Tartt, meet Paul Suntup, he'll bring your book to life in a way that honors the work.

St. Troy
03-22-2020, 12:00 PM

It might behoove novelists who publish once/decade to consider additional revenue streams such as fine editions.

zelig
03-22-2020, 12:17 PM

Well, Donna Tartt, meet Paul Suntup, he'll bring your book to life in a way that honors the work.

You speak the truth Jeff, but we already went after The Goldfinch and it was turned down.

Munnecom
03-22-2020, 12:21 PM
Maybe a stretch but hope someone could kindly help.
Looking for time machine suntup limited.
I actually was dumb enough to pass it to cut the budget.
But this coronoa quarantine keeping all of us at home.
My teen kid got little depress from it, and I wanted to cheer him up a little as this is his favourite book. He doesn't know nothing about limited but I wanted to gift him a nice special edition.
Anyone maybe has a spare copy for issue price?. Thanks in advance.

I think your best bet is to wait a little while until the books start arriving in people's hands. I’m sure a few will appear on eBay not long after. Alternatively, there’s the Folio Society edition (https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/the-time-machine-the-island-of-doctor-moreau.html), which contains both The Time Machine and The Island of Doctor Moreau in one handsome, clothbound and illustrated volume. I’m sure the Suntup edition will look and feel a lot nicer, but a teenager might not appreciate it for what it is. This way, you get the best of both worlds: a nice edition that won’t break the bank in this time of crisis (it only costs $62.95, rather than $300+).

St. Troy
03-22-2020, 02:08 PM
...we already went after The Goldfinch and it was turned down.

WT Fuck.

jeffingoff
03-22-2020, 02:10 PM

You speak the truth Jeff, but we already went after The Goldfinch and it was turned down.

Everyone makes mistakes. Maybe someday you can give her another chance.

zelig
03-22-2020, 02:58 PM
...we already went after The Goldfinch and it was turned down.

WT Fuck.

Yep...

Everyone makes mistakes. Maybe someday you can give her another chance.

Sorry, one strike you're out! :lol:

RichardX
03-23-2020, 04:52 AM
"A Clockwork Orange" seems like a logical choice for the SP treatment. I'm still holding out hope for "Under the Skin."

MikeDuke
03-23-2020, 05:01 AM
"A Clockwork Orange" seems like a logical choice for the SP treatment. I'm still holding out hope for "Under the Skin."
I was thinking the same thing about A clockwork Orange. It would be awesome.

MikeDuke
03-23-2020, 07:00 AM
Received my Time Machine and book mark. Man is this a nice copy. Love the entire look of this edition. The Spine, the letterpress printing, the illustrations are all fantastic. Having the rest of set will great also. And the case is also top notch. Now we wait on IAL.
Great job on this book Paul. This makes me so exited for the books coming in the future.

shaq
03-23-2020, 08:19 AM
Torn between really really wantingto see some pics, and really really wanting the full suntup opening experience.

Congrats.

MikeDuke
03-23-2020, 08:24 AM
Torn between really really wantingto see some pics, and really really wanting the full suntup opening experience.

Congrats.
That's why I am holding off. Part of the experience is opening the box and seeing the actual book. That's why I am waiting and not posting actual pics... yet :).

Hunchback Jack
03-23-2020, 10:21 AM
Congrats, Mike. Mine will show up sometime today.

HBJ

Brian861
03-23-2020, 10:28 AM
Mine should arrive on Wednesday.

MikeDuke
03-23-2020, 10:30 AM
Congrats, Mike. Mine will show up sometime today.

HBJ
Thanks Peter
That's awesome that you will get yours today also. I have a sneaky suspicion that you will like it.

MikeDuke
03-23-2020, 10:31 AM
Just like I told Peter, Brian, I think you will like this one.

Brian861
03-23-2020, 10:34 AM

I love all of the productions, just not a fan of all of the stories. I'll be selling this one once it arrives.

Tommy
03-23-2020, 11:01 AM
Paul, ever try the ultimate recluse? A Suntup Edition of Gravity's Rainbow would be insanity!!

MikeDuke
03-23-2020, 11:39 AM

I love all of the productions, just not a fan of all of the stories. I'll be selling this one once it arrives.
Got you. So far, like you, I have loved all the productions. I need more.

zelig
03-23-2020, 12:10 PM
Paul, ever try the ultimate recluse? A Suntup Edition of Gravity's Rainbow would be insanity!!

I have definitely considered it yes.

Tommy
03-23-2020, 12:12 PM

I have definitely considered it yes.

:thumbsup: SWEET!

MikeDuke
03-23-2020, 12:34 PM
I read the Wikipedia page on that book. Sounds interesting. And I noticed that it was well over 700 pages. Still waiting on that 1,000+ book. If I remember correctly, Paul said he had
a book in the works that was that long.

Tommy
03-23-2020, 12:40 PM
I read the Wikipedia page on that book. Sounds interesting. And I noticed that it was well over 700 pages. Still waiting on that 1,000+ book. If I remember correctly, Paul said he had
a book in the works that was that long.

GR is one of the craziest books you'll read. I love Pynchon!
A Suntup Naked Lunch could be great as well....

MikeDuke
03-23-2020, 12:47 PM
Maybe Naked Lunch might be a better read then the movie because the movie messed me up for a bit.
I am still holding out for at least one Vonnegut book. Maybe more than one.

Tommy
03-23-2020, 12:55 PM
Maybe Naked Lunch might be a better read then the movie because the movie messed me up for a bit.
I am still holding out for at least one Vonnegut book. Maybe more than one.

The movie is NOTHING like the book. I like Vonnegut too.

lotuz
03-23-2020, 01:59 PM
I read the Wikipedia page on that book. Sounds interesting. And I noticed that it was well over 700 pages...

GR is one of the craziest books you'll read. I love Pynchon!

Ditto! Would love to see a Pynchon work get the Suntup treatment!

My favorite novel of his is The Crying of Lot 49, which is on my all-time-greats list.

Gravity's Rainbow, though, is also excellent, and has two of the best individual scenes of all time: the opening scene, the first 8 paragraphs or so, just before you are introduced to Pirate - it's just pure poetry, absolutely beautiful. And one of the funniest scenes I have ever read in any book - the English candy drill, where Mrs. Quoad is feeding Slothrop a long parade of just horrible-sounding candies - Pynchon's descriptions of both the candies and of Slothrop's experience eating them are just golden.

Pynchon is very high on my list of authors whose works haven't gotten the limited edition treatments they deserve! McCarthy was another one, which has thankfully been remedied, and also high on the list is Margaret Atwood. There are lots of others, of course, but those are some biggies.

EDIT: Vonnegut, yes! Definitely he's on that list too!

MikeDuke
03-23-2020, 02:49 PM
I have only read Hocus Pocus and loved it. I know his others are classics. That's why I would like at least one to be done.

jeffingoff
03-23-2020, 03:11 PM
Just unboxed my Time Machine. What a wonderfully elegant edition this is! I wasn’t a fan of the art I saw on the product page but seeing it up close, in the book, I love it—completely fits the feel of the work.

Another grand slam, Paul. Now I’m even more eager to get the other Wells books.

MikeDuke
03-23-2020, 03:19 PM
Yea Jeff. This is a book you really have to hold in your hands to appreciate all aspects of it.

Hunchback Jack
03-23-2020, 03:51 PM
Time Machine is a really lovely book. Very elegant, and I love the illustrations.

Aremag
03-23-2020, 05:28 PM
Just unboxed my Time Machine. What a wonderfully elegant edition this is! I wasn’t a fan of the art I saw on the product page but seeing it up close, in the book, I love it—completely fits the feel of the work.

I'm trapped in the apartment...where's the unboxing video???

jeffingoff
03-23-2020, 05:37 PM

Soon. But it’s a really bizarre video.

Aremag
03-23-2020, 05:44 PM

I hope you pronounce Tremblay again.

jeffingoff
03-23-2020, 05:57 PM

I hope you pronounce Tremblay again.

I had to check to see if I uploaded it already. Holy shit. Spoiler alert.

Dr. Dawg
03-23-2020, 08:01 PM
I just opened The Time Machine and love it. As others have stated, it’s a perfect presentation and the artwork complements the story very nicely. I love the chapter headings, and I’m a sucker for that letterpress....

I just finished reading The Invisible Man and can’t wait to see the set completed!

... the Suntup mug I received today is pretty cool as well.

Brian861
03-23-2020, 09:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvGLnCEHFww&feature=em-uploademail