PDA

View Full Version : Suntup Editions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

Raenas
02-19-2020, 05:37 AM
I have my H.G set on order but if Island was printed today it would be the fourth H.G. book of 13 titles released by Suntup. Little much isn't it?

which just goes to show, "you cant please all the people, all the time"

I consider the trilogy as one book / release in the Suntup world. And if customers want it, then why not? I would love to have that book too. I am a big fan of H.G. Wells, also own this beautiful Folio Society Limited Edition of The Door in the Wall: https://www.foliosociety.com/uk/the-door-in-the-wall.html

MikeDuke
02-19-2020, 06:25 AM
I have no problem with multiple books from one author. People are salivating over the fact that Paul might do the Hannibal series right? Or if Paul released another Richard M book, I don't think people would complain.
But I have no doubt that there will be plenty of unique books as well. And we don't even know what the March book is, or the other books this year. Me, personally, I want a large Suntup collection. I am still pulling
for something, maybe more than one from Kurt V. But that's just me :).

kingfan2323
02-19-2020, 08:59 AM
I have my H.G set on order but if Island was printed today it would be the fourth H.G. book of 13 titles released by Suntup. Little much isn't it?

which just goes to show, "you cant please all the people, all the time"Ha! I was thinking the same thing but 30% of a young publishing companies catalog being the same author definitely stands out. Specially considering the wonderful range of choices Paul has made among the thousands of authors to choose from. Do not get me wrong I will be as excited as everyone to see the world of Dr. Moreau in a Suntup! BUT we will already see three times what the H.G treatment looks like from Suntup. But you are right, Good Sir. You can never please everyone. I'm a long for the ride though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kingfan2323
02-19-2020, 09:00 AM

Your kidding right?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNope.

Hunchback Jack
02-19-2020, 09:10 AM
It’s not the next book, so it won’t be 4 out of 13, it will be 4 out of a bigger number.

Brian861
02-19-2020, 09:11 AM

Consider yourself lucky. It could have been a Barker book.

jeffingoff
02-19-2020, 09:15 AM

Imajica is coming! Mark my words!

Brian861
02-19-2020, 09:18 AM

Imajica is coming! Mark my words!

:nope:

webstar1000
02-19-2020, 09:25 AM

Your kidding right?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNope.

I guess I do not get the problem with it. A new book that the fans wanted... asked for.. and Paul decided to do for us. Hmmmm... yet you are complaining brother? And to be honest, I am not really sure what about. lol Will this matter when there are 30 titles out? No... it won't. The comment I would call a little much instead. :emot-roflolmao:

kingfan2323
02-19-2020, 09:27 AM

Consider yourself lucky. It could have been a Barker book.Dang! Ha! Does he write better than he directs?

Ooops. . . Well there is Maximum Overdrive for King. I love it btw.

St. Troy
02-19-2020, 09:28 AM
...30% of a young publishing companies catalog being the same author definitely stands out.

That is a statistical anomaly resulting from Suntup's decision to do a series early in its existence (this statistic could've been avoided by waiting a few years to embark on a series, but there would have been no artistic reason to wait).

St. Troy
02-19-2020, 09:29 AM
Barker is a singular talent. He's not for everyone, but no one is.

jeffingoff
02-19-2020, 09:30 AM

Consider yourself lucky. It could have been a Barker book.Dang! Ha! Does he write better than he directs?

Ooops. . . Well there is Maximum Overdrive for King. I love it btw.

His DAMNATION GAME and HELLBOUND HEART are fantastic. Even his worst books (SACRAMENT!) are a joy to read. He's an amazing author.

frik
02-19-2020, 09:35 AM
I'd love Paul to do Barker's Books of Blood! Best collection of short stories ever, imo.

sk

Hunchback Jack
02-19-2020, 09:40 AM
I'd love Paul to do Barker's Books of Blood! Best collection of short stories ever, imo.

sk

I like books of blood, but there are already many many many signed or limited editions of it. I’d like to see some of his other works be given the special treatment. Personally, I think Imajica fits the bill. It’s a standalone novel that only has one Limited edition that I’m aware of. And I think it’s generally well regarded, at least I really like it.

Although it’s length may make an edition with heavy paper and fine materials a logistical and physics-defying nightmare.

amd013
02-19-2020, 09:40 AM
Although I have forgotten about 99% of the books, I do remember enjoying Weaveworld and The Great and Secret Show by Barker. They are the only two books of his I have read. (I also have the squeal to TGASS, but haven't read it, because I would probably need to reread TGASS first).

I think its great that Paul is doing more H.G. Wells. Hope he will do even more (like "The First Men in the Moon")

kingfan2323
02-19-2020, 09:45 AM
...30% of a young publishing companies catalog being the same author definitely stands out.

That is a statistical anomaly resulting from Suntup's decision to do a series early in its existence (this statistic could've been avoided by waiting a few years to embark on a series, but there would have been no artistic reason to wait).Artistic reason would have been to see what exciting artistic choices Suntup would do with other authors.

But do get your point that when Suntup has 200 books under it's belt then four Wells books (or 5 or 6) will be fine. Agreed.

Hunchback Jack
02-19-2020, 09:45 AM
Although I have forgotten about 99% of the books, I do remember enjoying Weaveworld and The Great and Secret Show by Barker. They are the only two books of his I have read. (I also have the squeal to TGASS, but haven't read it, because I would probably need to reread TGASS first).

I think its great that Paul is doing more H.G. Wells. Hope he will do even more (like "The First Men in the Moon")

Unfortunately, too much of Barker’s work consists of unfinished series. A complete series, or a standalone work, would be preferable as a Suntup release in my opinion. Although, I suppose The Great and Secret Show works well enough as a standalone to be published on its own.

MikeDuke
02-19-2020, 09:48 AM
The H.G wells books are spread out through the year. I think it's safe to say that there will be enough non-Wells books in between them to keep people satisfied with some diversity.

kingfan2323
02-19-2020, 09:51 AM
The H.G wells books are spread out through the year. I think it's safe to say that there will be enough non-Wells books in between them to keep people satisfied with some diversity.Good point.

MikeDuke
02-19-2020, 09:55 AM
The Great and Secret Show is not a stand alone book. Everville goes with that book. It's part of what is called "The Art Series". Will there be a third, I don't know. I thought there was a rumor that there would be.
Books like, Imajica, The Thief of Always, along with a number of others that are easily found on Wikipedia are stand alone books that could be done as a single book.

webstar1000
02-19-2020, 09:55 AM
The H.G wells books are spread out through the year. I think it's safe to say that there will be enough non-Wells books in between them to keep people satisfied with some diversity.

agreed. I doubt you will see this one within the next year. mid 2021 is my bet... Paul simply stating he would do it for the fans here:)

St. Troy
02-19-2020, 09:59 AM
...But do get your point that when Suntup has 200 books under it's belt then four Wells books (or 5 or 6) will be fine.

I actually said nothing about it being fine once Suntup has 200 books under its belt; my point was the opposite, that such a wait would be arbitrary (Paul had the ideas and acted on them). Waiting for numbers is the opposite of artistic.

jeffingoff
02-19-2020, 10:00 AM
The Great and Secret Show is not a stand alone book. Everville goes with that book. It's part of what is called "The Art Series". Will there be a third, I don't know. I thought there was a rumor that there would be.
Books like, Imajica, The Thief of Always, along with a number of others that are easily found on Wikipedia are stand alone books that could be done as a single book.

I think Barker is done writing. I suspect his last book The Scarlet Gospels was actually written by Mark Alan Miller--the author who wrote The Toll. I doubt we'll ever get the third book of The Art.

kingfan2323
02-19-2020, 10:01 AM
...But do get your point that when Suntup has 200 books under it's belt then four Wells books (or 5 or 6) will be fine.

I actually said nothing about it being fine once Suntup has 200 books under its belt; my point was the opposite, that such a wait would be arbitrary (Paul had the ideas and acted on them). Waiting for numbers is the opposite of artistic.Gotcha. Good point. Let the artist (Paul) go as they may.

Hunchback Jack
02-19-2020, 10:09 AM

I think Barker is done writing. I suspect his last book The Scarlet Gospels was actually written by Mark Alan Miller--the author who wrote The Toll. I doubt we'll ever get the third book of The Art.

I fear you are right, but I hope not.

I think the scarlet gospels was written by Barker, but in a completely different form, and I think it was a chaotic mess. Miller took that material, excised 2/3 of it, and assembled a novel from it. So I wouldn’t go so far as to say that Miller wrote the book, but he certainly was responsible for assembling it from raw materials not fit for publication.

If we see another book from Barker, I think it will be done the same way – Barker does a first draft, and Miller or another author makes it publishable. Abarat 4 Has been almost done for about five years now, and it’s hard to know if we will ever see it. There’s probably something there, but I expect it still needs a lot of revision to be published. I suspect revising his work is Barker’s least favorite thing to do, Which is why he can tease people with photos of manuscripts in various stages of development, but nothing gets published.

MikeDuke
02-19-2020, 10:12 AM
Yea Jeff. I know. He was (is) sick. But if you look on his site, he does have some stuff scheduled for 2020. Even Wikipedia has that book Deep Hill but it says (TBA). So who knows.
OK, enough speculation on Barker, time to speculate on Suntup :).

St. Troy
02-19-2020, 10:16 AM

Barker has said that he has the structure for the third Book of the Art but that it won't be written until after he writes the fourth and fifth Books of Abarat (which he reportedly is working on, but...), so this won't happen anytime soon.

This kind of thing didn't stop multiple publishers from producing distinctive editions of A Song Of Ice And Fire novels, but I doubt it would happen with anything lacking that series' incredible demand (unless a publisher had inside info about Barker's plans and proceeded accordingly). Having said that, I think if Paul were interested in the Books of the Art, I doubt he'd be scared off by a delay on Book 3.

I think The Thief Of Always would make a great one for Suntup to produce.

Overall, Barker has quite a catalog of interesting works that could inspire interesting editions.

Hunchback Jack
02-19-2020, 10:21 AM

Yes, I’m aware that it’s part of a series. I just meant that it works well enough as a standalone novel that you could publish it alone, without committing to the rest of the (unfinished) series.

Subterranean press just did something similar with Iain M. Banks’ Use of Weapons.

MikeDuke
02-19-2020, 10:23 AM
That's fine on the Book of The Art series because I still have to read the first two. I need to finish some stuff first and then I am going to dive more into Barker.

MikeDuke
02-19-2020, 10:24 AM

Yes, I’m aware that it’s part of a series. I just meant that it works well enough as a standalone novel that you could publish it alone, without committing to the rest of the (unfinished) series.

Subterranean press just did something similar with Iain M. Banks’ Use of Weapons.
You know, I seem to remember reading that it can work as a stand alone book also now that I think about it.

St. Troy
02-19-2020, 10:41 AM
I think Barker is done writing.

I don't know what he's up to right now, but in a 2019 interview he said he is still writing, has almost finished the fourth Book of Abarat and started the third Book of the Art.

I suspect his last book The Scarlet Gospels was actually written by Mark Alan Miller--the author who wrote The Toll.

That's interesting; did you hear that somewhere, or just an intuition of your own?

Aremag
02-19-2020, 10:45 AM
I'm all for Paul following his heart in what books he releases. I'm along for the ride now, didn't get to start the journey with him, I probably won't make every stop with him but overall I believe I will enjoy the ride for however long Suntup or I last on this crazy, beautiful planet.

jeffingoff
02-19-2020, 11:10 AM
I don't know what he's up to right now, but in a 2019 interview he said he is still writing, has almost finished the fourth Book of Abarat and started the third Book of the Art.

That's interesting; did you hear that somewhere, or just an intuition of your own?

I'd love to be wrong about Barker being done!

My suspicions on The Scarlet Gospels are just that--my suspicions. It's the only explanation I could cough up for why that book was so bad. I do hear others echo that theory so it's got some element of possibility to it. When you read Hellbound Heart--it's a love story, a story about the ultimate ends of obsession, a story about betrayal for desire. The Cenobites are malevolent and cold. They are in many ways the opposite of love which is apathy. They don't really care about delivering the ultimate pleasure as so many who sought them out believe. Then Clive did the movie and the Hell Priest was demoted to Pinhead (labelled that by the make up artists and the fans of the movie). So move forward 30 years and we finally get the sequel and the writing style is completely different, The Hell Priest is now officially Pinhead, and everything after the first 30 or so pages is complete garbage. It lacks everything that makes a Barker novel a Barker novel. It's fan fiction.

The only other theory I had about that book is that the book itself is Barker's way of torturing his readers. He has become cenobite and we were the ones seeking unimaginable pleasure only to find horror in the truest sense.

jeffingoff
02-19-2020, 11:17 AM
I think the scarlet gospels was written by Barker, but in a completely different form, and I think it was a chaotic mess. Miller took that material, excised 2/3 of it, and assembled a novel from it. So I wouldn’t go so far as to say that Miller wrote the book, but he certainly was responsible for assembling it from raw materials not fit for publication.

I think you're probably right, Peter. I remember hearing rumors that The Scarlet Gospels was going to be 1000+ pages and be epic in scope. Definitely not what was delivered. If Barker has written such a book, I'd love to read that version. SG started out incredibly strong--I was beaming. And then we got a bunch of buddies wise-cracking their way through hell and never once feeling like they were ever in any danger.

No tension, no atmosphere, no pulse. GAH! But I would LOVE to get a Suntup edition of any other Barker book. ANY other.

St. Troy
02-19-2020, 12:55 PM
For those who might be interested, I continued the Barker conversation on the Barker thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12394-The-Collectible-Clive-Barker/page13

Ari_Racing
02-19-2020, 01:35 PM
Several interesting topics here. My two cents:

PS Publishing books: While some of the King books they published are not my favorite, I like they're publishing the anniversary editions and that King is allowing signed editions. Pete probably made a great move to acquire the foreigns rights for these. I think their books have a nice quality and the materials used are top (and the UK is more expensive than USA, so that might be a good reason in terms of the final cost of the book). Yes, we all would love more King books published by Suntup Editions (this is out of the question, I think) but there are reasons we're not getting them and as far as I know King is one of these: he just not interested anymore in more signed editions at premium price. He already stated it in one interview that most remember (Liljas, when talking about Jerad from Centipede Press) and probably in others we don't. Why does PS Publishing get the permission? Probably because they agreed on this 8-9 years ago (or even more) when PS started to publish these.

Very interesting things about Clive Barker. I know he was very sick and that he got a little better but not that much (last pic I saw of him I didn't even recognized him!) which probably caused several delays. I didn't read The Scarlet Gospels and I'm not a huge fan of his writings (but I loved The Thief of Always and The Hellbound Heart) but every now and then when a new book of him is published I buy a copy because I know it'll be an acquired taste. And yes: I'd love to see a limited edition of one of his more fantasy books published by Suntup (The Thief of Always would be my favorite).

webstar1000
02-19-2020, 02:32 PM
Several interesting topics here. My two cents:

PS Publishing books: While some of the King books they published are not my favorite, I like they're publishing the anniversary editions and that King is allowing signed editions. Pete probably made a great move to acquire the foreigns rights for these. I think their books have a nice quality and the materials used are top (and the UK is more expensive than USA, so that might be a good reason in terms of the final cost of the book). Yes, we all would love more King books published by Suntup Editions (this is out of the question, I think) but there are reasons we're not getting them and as far as I know King is one of these: he just not interested anymore in more signed editions at premium price. He already stated it in one interview that most remember (Liljas, when talking about Jerad from Centipede Press) and probably in others we don't. Why does PS Publishing get the permission? Probably because they agreed on this 8-9 years ago (or even more) when PS started to publish these.

Very interesting things about Clive Barker. I know he was very sick and that he got a little better but not that much (last pic I saw of him I didn't even recognized him!) which probably caused several delays. I didn't read The Scarlet Gospels and I'm not a huge fan of his writings (but I loved The Thief of Always and The Hellbound Heart) but every now and then when a new book of him is published I buy a copy because I know it'll be an acquired taste. And yes: I'd love to see a limited edition of one of his more fantasy books published by Suntup (The Thief of Always would be my favorite).

Ari,
You state he is not into pricey editions yet PS is about to publish the most expensive ever released by a publisher. King is friendly with Pete at PS is the reason we are seeing these editions. Nothing to do with that in my opinion. King is just done with signing his name I think for the most part.... he is getting up there in years!

Ari_Racing
02-19-2020, 02:41 PM
But rights are not the same, Kris. PS deals foreign rights and probably way in advance than US ones.

webstar1000
02-19-2020, 02:44 PM
But rights are not the same, Kris. PS deals foreign rights and probably way in advance than US ones.
Again I don’t think that has any bearing here.. Pete was at his sons wedding just a couple years ago man. They are quite close I’ve been told a few times. Pete has also stated before on the forum and in emails/newsletters that he has asked King to sign the “Deluxe” edition. He is asking for King to sign these books on a case by case basis. King agrees solely because they are friends. Trust me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoogs
02-19-2020, 09:04 PM
Again I don’t think that has any bearing here.. Pete was at his sons wedding just a couple years ago man. They are quite close I’ve been told a few times. Pete has also stated before on the forum and in emails/newsletters that he has asked King to sign the “Deluxe” edition. He is asking for King to sign these books on a case by case basis. King agrees solely because they are friends. Trust me

I feel like the edition size also works in your favor.
Friend or not, if Pete were asking King to sign 500 copies of each book, the answer would probably have been no.
26 signatures once a year, give or take, is a lot more palatable to someone that has been signing his name in quantity for 46 years!

webstar1000
02-20-2020, 03:16 AM

I feel like the edition size also works in your favor.
Friend or not, if Pete were asking King to sign 500 copies of each book, the answer would probably have been no.
26 signatures once a year, give or take, is a lot more palatable to someone that has been signing his name in quantity for 46 years!

Of course it would be no. I believe he is done with them. You will only see lettereds now come as it takes him minutes to do the signing. That’s what I believe and it makes me sad:(

Beverly Marsh
02-20-2020, 05:45 AM
Whether King signs anything else in the future for Suntup(I like to stay optimistic but I'm inclined to agree with others that's it more unlikely than likely) I will be eternally grateful that Misery happened!

Ben Mears
02-20-2020, 07:22 AM
Given the choice of multiple future unsigned Suntup SK editions vs. no future Suntup SK editions if a signature is required would be an easy one for me.

firemonkey66
02-20-2020, 07:34 AM
For an author that is done signing books in quantity, he certainly has signed a lot of books in the recent past. If you look at the bottom of this page (link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Complete+list+of+Stephen+King+S igned+Limiteds)), you could probably argue that he's slowing down, but as long as he's writing books, he's going to be signing them too: trade and limited editions. Not to be morbid (hey, I read a lot of Stephen King growing up), but I personally think that it's more likely he stops signing books because he dies or suddenly retires than it is that he keeps writing and concurrently stops signing books.

MikeDuke
02-20-2020, 07:34 AM
Just a slight detour and then back on track. If SK decides to just sign lettered and not numbered books in the future, it would be sad for me because I can't afford the lettered books. I am not complaining, just my particular situation. I guess it's OK because I still have some other S\L that are already out that I would love to get.

OK. Back to general Suntup talk and speculation.

webstar1000
02-20-2020, 07:41 AM
For an author that is done signing books in quantity, he certainly has signed a lot of books in the recent past. If you look at the bottom of this page (link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Complete+list+of+Stephen+King+S igned+Limiteds)), you could probably argue that he's slowing down, but as long as he's writing books, he's going to be signing them too: trade and limited editions. Not to be morbid (hey, I read a lot of Stephen King growing up), but I personally think that it's more likely he stops signing books because he dies or suddenly retires than it is that he keeps writing and concurrently stops signing books.

I cannot argue with this point. I guess I meant on a more limited capacity. I sure wish he would though... means SO MUCH to many people. I doubt he even understands how much so.

firemonkey66
02-20-2020, 08:20 AM

I cannot argue with this point. I guess I meant on a more limited capacity. I sure wish he would though... means SO MUCH to many people. I doubt he even understands how much so.

I think King understands on one level, but on another level I think he's jaded to it. As his career has progressed he has watched his name in general become more valuable than the quality of his work, and he probably resents it to a certain extent: the monetization of his name and signature. But he loves to write, and when he's writing and excited about what he's creating, I think he spends a lot of time on the level where he understands how much his writing and his signature means to people who truly love his work, and that's when he agrees to sign books. But when he's spending time on the jaded level, he grumbles and complains and makes idle threats, which I think is natural given the length of his career and his age.

swintek
02-20-2020, 08:22 AM
Given the choice of multiple future unsigned Suntup SK editions vs. no future Suntup SK editions if a signature is required would be an easy one for me.

This!

MikeDuke
02-20-2020, 01:06 PM
For some Suntup news, Ref Dragon, The Invisable Man and War of the Worlds all have notes under them that say
Notes: 2/20/20 – All editions are currently at the printer. IAL and The Time Machine are still green with printing. Pretty cool.
I can't wait for more info to come out.

kingfan2323
02-20-2020, 05:53 PM
For some Suntup news, Ref Dragon, The Invisable Man and War of the Worlds all have notes under them that say
Notes: 2/20/20 – All editions are currently at the printer. IAL and The Time Machine are still green with printing. Pretty cool.
I can't wait for more info to come out.Great news! Thanks

BadHatHarry
02-21-2020, 05:08 AM
Hey Paul, out of all the cool
Books listed on this thread... can you say if one is secured for a Suntup production? Not which one... just tell us IF ONE is happening?

A quick scan and I see THREE that are happening.

As for the Watterson debate, there is only one way to settle that. The dice have been rolled.

Revisiting this, out of selfish curiosity. Did anything ever come of this, or deafening silence like so many others who have tried to bridge the C&H gap?

Yes, deafening silence would be accurate. I have explored a couple avenues with this, but more time is required. I am still pursuing it when time permits.

Thanks for the update! Watterson is a tough guy to find.

sullichin
02-21-2020, 09:50 AM
Just found an envelope under my door, my Road broadside was delivered to my neighbor by mistake... was wondering when I'd get that!

Perfect timing as I just finished reading The Road (for the first time) yesterday. Really a great book and now I'm happy to have this. Have to get it framed

zelig
02-22-2020, 10:57 AM
So a quick update on C&H. I actually got a response. My query is being passed along to the necessary parties...

Also, regarding Doctor Moreau; it's a ways off like I said. Although I've committed to it, it's not unusual for me to work on a book for up to a year before announcing it. Also, I'm sure you can imagine, there are many other books in the pipeline ahead of this one. It was only really decided on a few days ago so yep, it's a ways off. But the onboarding has started.

Brian861
02-22-2020, 11:03 AM
So a quick update on C&H. I actually got a response. My query is being passed along to the necessary parties...

Also, regarding Doctor Moreau; it's a ways off like I said. Although I've committed to it, it's not unusual for me to work on a book for up to a year before announcing it. Also, I'm sure you can imagine, there are many other books in the pipeline ahead of this one. It was only really decided on a few days ago so yep, it's a ways off. But the onboarding has started.

Great news!

firemonkey66
02-22-2020, 11:32 AM

Holy crap, my heart just skipped a beat.

jeffingoff
02-22-2020, 12:20 PM
This is too perfect. Did I die? I’d imagine getting all my treasured books published in the most fantastic way possible isn’t what my afterlife will consist of. I imagine my afterlife bookshelves will have nothing but Bentley Little trade paperbacks. But this is beyond comprehension.

herbertwest
02-22-2020, 01:56 PM
What is C&H?

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-22-2020, 02:04 PM
Calvin & Hobbes I think. A comic I never read so don't understand what all the fuss is about either.

Kongo
02-22-2020, 02:09 PM
Calvin & Hobbes I think. A comic I never read so don't understand what all the fuss is about either.

It's such a timeless, special comic to those who read it. Suitable for both kids and adults, with a ton of imagination and things to say, without coming off preachy. It really is the equivalent of comfort food, but in comic form.

Aremag
02-22-2020, 02:37 PM

https://gregfallisdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/head-explode-calvin.jpg

willie3
02-22-2020, 04:09 PM

Syndicated in over 2000 newspapers worldwide, nearly 50 million copies of books reprinting the strips sold.
Maybe you should take a look.

willie3
02-22-2020, 04:16 PM
Hello, everyone.

I own one of the 26 lettered copies of “The Bridges of Madison County,” and I’m wondering if anyone is interested in purchasing it from me.

Best,
Michael

Michael, wanted to state publicly many thanks.
It has been a true pleasure.

programmer
02-22-2020, 04:22 PM
Hey Paul, out of all the cool
Books listed on this thread... can you say if one is secured for a Suntup production? Not which one... just tell us IF ONE is happening?

A quick scan and I see THREE that are happening.

As for the Watterson debate, there is only one way to settle that. The dice have been rolled.

Revisiting this, out of selfish curiosity. Did anything ever come of this, or deafening silence like so many others who have tried to bridge the C&H gap?

Yes, deafening silence would be accurate. I have explored a couple avenues with this, but more time is required. I am still pursuing it when time permits.

Thanks for the update! Watterson is a tough guy to find.

There was a book titled “looking for Calvin and Hobbes” by nevin martell. He wasn’t successful at all in finding Watterson

jeffingoff
02-22-2020, 04:27 PM

It's such a timeless, special comic to those who read it. Suitable for both kids and adults, with a ton of imagination and things to say, without coming off preachy. It really is the equivalent of comfort food, but in comic form.

It was beautiful and brilliant and the world is a worse place without it.

zelig
02-22-2020, 08:00 PM
The winners of the Wells lottery for the final few copies have been notified and they are now all sold. Onward to March.

swintek
02-23-2020, 01:02 AM
Paul, because I love your avatar so goddamn much- I had to finally change mine, in a pale homage to yours. Please, never change it.

Ben Mears
02-23-2020, 07:17 AM

C&H was definitely one of the best comic strips ever produced. After 10 years Bill Watterson felt he had done all that he could with the character and the medium and walked away at the top of his game. Not many people can or would do that. I'm grateful for the decade of brilliance he gave us.

zelig
02-23-2020, 09:37 AM
Paul, because I love your avatar so goddamn much- I had to finally change mine, in a pale homage to yours. Please, never change it.

Oh yes. Very nice! Look at you!

The avatar was from a fundraiser some years back, and I just never changed it. I seem to recall deciding between this one, but ended up with Batman:

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/scan0019.jpg

Although, now that I think about it, this is probably more appropriate as it's in line with my current lifestyle, you know... with the ladies and all...

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/ps_13.jpg

But coming back to reality, I'd say this is more accurate with the aging process well underway...

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/ps_16.jpg

Brian861
02-23-2020, 10:34 AM
:lol:

jeffingoff
02-23-2020, 10:38 AM
Batman is always the best choice. Far better than Superman.

Hunchback Jack
02-23-2020, 10:45 AM
Those pics are hilarious and wonderful. So cool that you still have them.

Brian861
02-23-2020, 10:50 AM
Batman is always the best choice. Far better than Superman.

My son completely agrees with you. He detest Superman.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-23-2020, 11:01 AM
Well in homage to the latest H.G Wells book to be released, I have changed my Time Machine avatar and signature to The War of the Worlds... :cool:

webstar1000
02-23-2020, 04:49 PM
Based on the $1600 sale... I have a chap looking to sell his dragon number with rights. $1250 shipped

jeffingoff
02-23-2020, 05:08 PM

C&H was definitely one of the best comic strips ever produced. After 10 years Bill Watterson felt he had done all that he could with the character and the medium and walked away at the top of his game. Not many people can or would do that. I'm grateful for the decade of brilliance he gave us.

I haven’t even taken these out of the shrine rap yet. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200224/039b76cf9e7ce4163b0627904c576532.jpg

jeffingoff
02-23-2020, 05:25 PM

I haven’t even taken these out of the shrine rap yet. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200224/039b76cf9e7ce4163b0627904c576532.jpg

Shrine rap is when you memorialize a work of art with a rap song.

Aremag
02-23-2020, 05:47 PM

I remember buying that set with a 50% off Barnes & Noble coupon. Ripped the shrink wrap off immediately upon getting home and read them all. I reread them every couple of years and I'm due for another reread.

Ben Mears
02-24-2020, 03:57 AM

Maybe the compromise solution for the C&H dilemma is a Dragon Rebound treatment of The Complete Calvin & Hobbes.

OldCrow88
02-24-2020, 04:18 AM
[/QUOTE]

Maybe the compromise solution for the C&H dilemma is a Dragon Rebound treatment of The Complete Calvin & Hobbes.[/QUOTE]

Genius! :thumbsup:
Also the matching Suntup paperweight with the stuffed tiger inside would be GINORMOUS.

Ben Mears
02-24-2020, 05:33 AM
Maybe the compromise solution for the C&H dilemma is a Dragon Rebound treatment of The Complete Calvin & Hobbes.[/QUOTE]

Also the matching Suntup paperweight with the stuffed tiger inside would be GINORMOUS.[/QUOTE]

If the fur binding idea hadn't already been used for Cujo imagine stuffed tiger pelt being used for TCC&H!

zelig
02-24-2020, 12:02 PM
Regarding C&H, I just heard back on it. Can't get into details, but the answer is no as I suspected it would be. But it was worth taking the shot for sure. To have these as special bindings, the rebound route would be the only way.

jeffingoff
02-24-2020, 12:06 PM
Regarding C&H, I just heard back on it. Can't get into details, but the answer is no as I suspected it would be. But it was worth taking the shot for sure. To have these as special bindings, the rebound route would be the only way.

I'm sure I speak for a few people here when I say I think it's wonderful that you looked into it. We really appreciate that you took the shot. It's definitely a collection worthy of your efforts.

jeffingoff
02-24-2020, 12:08 PM
If the fur binding idea hadn't already been used for Cujo imagine stuffed tiger pelt being used for TCC&H!

That's exactly where my brain went too.

firemonkey66
02-24-2020, 12:19 PM

That’s a bummer, to say the least.

Garrell
02-24-2020, 01:22 PM
So onto Dr. Seuss we go....

MikeDuke
02-24-2020, 01:28 PM
What about Bloom County?

surly
02-24-2020, 01:46 PM

Bummer is an understatement. It would have been a triumph if it worked out, but what's the saying? "You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take". It was definitely worth taking the shot.

Ben Mears
02-24-2020, 02:35 PM

No surprise but, as you said, it was worth a shot. If you choose to go the Dragon Rebound route it will no doubt be a beautiful production.

cit74
02-24-2020, 03:17 PM

Maybe the compromise solution for the C&H dilemma is a Dragon Rebound treatment of The Complete Calvin & Hobbes.

Now I have a HC set we read all the time, my son loves them. My PB set actually is in plastic wrap - but opened - since that set is actually signed by Watterson (one of only a few I know of), and I think I have about 1-2 more signed books…but not actual C&H books. Oh well - appreciative of the time and effort - never know unless you try. Thanks Paul

lotuz
02-24-2020, 03:40 PM
... It was definitely worth taking the shot.

Absolutely! Super glad you tried!

zelig
02-24-2020, 03:54 PM
No problem. Had to at least try. My gut feel on this is that the decision won't change. I have to share one quick thing which this makes me think of. Back in 2016 I tried to get a book under contract but was turned down. It was at a time before I even started publishing. Anyway, I'm pleased to say that after 4 years, I finally got an approval a couple weeks ago. This one is special.

Scoogs
02-24-2020, 04:10 PM

Also the matching Suntup paperweight with the stuffed tiger inside would be GINORMOUS.

Skip the paperweight, I want a snow globe with Calvin building some of his snowmen inside.

kingfan2323
02-24-2020, 04:30 PM
No problem. Had to at least try. My gut feel on this is that the decision won't change. I have to share one quick thing which this makes me think of. Back in 2016 I tried to get a book under contract but was turned down. It was at a time before I even started publishing. Anyway, I'm pleased to say that after 4 years, I finally got an approval a couple weeks ago. This one is special.Love it! That must feel great. Excited to hear the details some day!

webstar1000
02-24-2020, 04:32 PM
No problem. Had to at least try. My gut feel on this is that the decision won't change. I have to share one quick thing which this makes me think of. Back in 2016 I tried to get a book under contract but was turned down. It was at a time before I even started publishing. Anyway, I'm pleased to say that after 4 years, I finally got an approval a couple weeks ago. This one is special.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/DffShiJ47fPqM/giphy.gif

Dr. Dawg
02-24-2020, 07:23 PM
That's great! I hope you let us know which one it is once it's announced.

Brian861
02-24-2020, 10:39 PM
What about Bloom County?

The Far Side even.

Bummer is an understatement. It would have been a triumph if it worked out, but what's the saying? "You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take". It was definitely worth taking the shot.

Yep. The answer's always no if you don't ask.

MikeDuke
02-25-2020, 06:07 AM
Perseverance Paul (we both know about that.) That's the name of the game. Can't wait to see what it is :).

MikeDuke
02-25-2020, 06:46 AM
SOMETHING NEW :rock::biggrin1::excited:. An Announcement section in the News tab. Lots of good info there.

St. Troy
02-25-2020, 12:11 PM
Back in 2016 I tried to get a book under contract but was turned down. It was at a time before I even started publishing. Anyway, I'm pleased to say that after 4 years, I finally got an approval a couple weeks ago. This one is special.

That's excellent, and great that you never gave up on it.

St. Troy
02-25-2020, 12:13 PM
SOMETHING NEW :rock::biggrin1::excited:. An Announcement section in the News tab. Lots of good info there.

That is cool...

Brian861
02-25-2020, 06:37 PM
Accepting offers for Brother. PM if interested. Thanks!

Bev Vincent
02-26-2020, 04:36 AM
I received a proof of RED DRAGON yesterday -- Paul's upped his game on ARCs -- this one has an illustrated cover. I haven't taken the shrink wrap off it yet to see the inside.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-26-2020, 05:30 AM
Still waiting for mine, hint hint....HINT

webstar1000
02-26-2020, 05:34 AM
I wonder if Time machine OR I am Legend will ship next... hmmmmmmm Personally? I hope for Legend!

MikeDuke
02-26-2020, 06:10 AM
I think it will be Legend. They are both in the same spot as far as status update though. And Legend says first quarter for being released and Time Machine says spring. The Red Dragon proof sounds cool with the illustrated cover.

webstar1000
02-26-2020, 06:14 AM
I think it will be Legend. They are both in the same spot as far as status update though. And Legend says first quarter for being released and Time Machine says spring. The Red Dragon proof sounds cool with the illustrated cover.

I concur... Legend is my bet

MikeDuke
02-26-2020, 06:27 AM
Speaking of IAL, there are still 15 S\L copies left. I mean, I know the people in here probably know that, or maybe not, but if there is another place, like a FB group for Suntup out there, maybe someone could
just put it out there. Just saying. I know Paul likes the fact there are still copies of some of his books for people to buy. I just thought I would give an update for the hell of it.

MikeDuke
02-26-2020, 10:17 AM
I think this is new a new Red Dragon for sale. The last one went for $1,600. This one is up to $1045. And I think this is a different one because of the price sheet at the end. It lists a different total price than the first one. This one is an international sale.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Dragon-Suntup-Editions-Numbered-Signed-by-Thomas-Harris-Preorder-w-Rights/313009364450?hash=item48e0cfdde2:g:pnUAAOSwzY1eVFG T
It will be interesting to see if this can breach $1,600.

webstar1000
02-26-2020, 10:17 AM
I think this is new Red Dragon. The last one went for $1,600. This one is up to $1045. And I think this is a different one because of
the price sheet at the end. It lists a different total price than the first one. This one is an international sale.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Dragon-Suntup-Editions-Numbered-Signed-by-Thomas-Harris-Preorder-w-Rights/313009364450?hash=item48e0cfdde2:g:pnUAAOSwzY1eVFG T
It will be interesting to see if this can breach $1,600.

It will not. There was two bidders last time. The most I feel this will attain is $1300-1400

MikeDuke
02-26-2020, 10:22 AM
I agree. All the bids say "private listing - bidders' identities protected" It says there are 5 bidders. But I never saw that before.

Brian861
02-26-2020, 01:17 PM
That book is going to be gorgeous and I can't believe there are still AGE's available at the price.

MikeDuke
02-26-2020, 01:33 PM
That book is going to be gorgeous and I can't believe there are still AGE's available at the price.
I agree there are 158 left.

MikeDuke
02-27-2020, 06:31 AM
Quick update
Time Machine numbered Slip Case is now green. All else is the same

Black Miau
02-27-2020, 06:36 AM
Quick update

Jade-green?

MikeDuke
02-27-2020, 06:45 AM
Quick update

Jade-green?
Possibly. Or midnight green would be nice. All I know is that it's one step closer to being done.

Munnecom
02-27-2020, 07:34 AM
Where did you see that, Mike? I checked the site, but all pictures look the same as before to me.

jeffingoff
02-27-2020, 07:36 AM
Where did you see that, Mike? I checked the site, but all pictures look the same as before to me.

He's talking about the status updates. Green means completed.

MikeDuke
02-27-2020, 07:50 AM

Thanks Jeff. I assumed people new about the status update section.

webstar1000
02-27-2020, 07:56 AM
Mike what is the next book being released and what day will I have I Am Legend in hand? :biggrin:

MikeDuke
02-27-2020, 08:08 AM
Mike what is the next book being released and what day will I have I Am Legend in hand? :biggrin:
If only I knew that Kris. If only.

Black Miau
02-27-2020, 08:19 AM

Thank you Jeff, I thought it meant a color change.

amd013
02-27-2020, 10:52 AM

Well, when you get the Time Machine, use it to come back here today to tell us.

webstar1000
02-27-2020, 10:59 AM

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

MikeDuke
02-27-2020, 11:12 AM

No problem. Just after I go back and buy Salems' Lot S\L, and maybe a lettered Regulators. and get a bronze lifetime membership to Suntup.
How does that sound. Oh right, and I have to use it to get the asbestos Firestarter and... This may take a while, but I will do my best.

lotuz
02-27-2020, 11:24 AM
No problem. Just after I go back and buy Salems' Lot S\L, and maybe a lettered Regulators. and get a bronze lifetime membership to Suntup.
How does that sound. Oh right, and I have to use it to get the asbestos Firestarter and... This may take a while, but I will do my best.

Gotta say I like your priorities here lol

MikeDuke
02-27-2020, 11:46 AM
Thanks lotuz. I often have the time machine wish in my head. But so far, it hasn't worked :(.

Munnecom
02-27-2020, 12:09 PM

I do, but I thought you were talking about the actual slipcase. My bad!

zelig
02-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Not to worry, there's something green on the horizon.

MikeDuke
02-27-2020, 12:40 PM
If you are talking about a book, I have a guess but I will keep it to my self because I am probably wrong.

MikeDuke
02-27-2020, 12:42 PM

I do, but I thought you were talking about the actual slipcase. My bad!
No problem, I should have been more accurate in what I meant.

willie3
02-27-2020, 01:03 PM

A Suntup Edition of Luc Besson‘s “The Fifth Element” housed in a Super Green slipcase

jeffingoff
02-27-2020, 01:04 PM

EYES
OF
THE
DRAGON

zelig
02-27-2020, 01:09 PM

EYES
OF
THE
DRAGON

Not that.

In other news, I’ll update the status page soon but the Time Machine books just got done. Still need time for shipping to me and we need to make foam. So a few weeks off but production on the edition is complete. The Lettered should be done soon as well.

MikeDuke
02-27-2020, 01:18 PM

EYES
OF
THE
DRAGON

Not that.

In other news, I’ll update the status page soon but the Time Machine books just got done. Still need time for shipping to me and we need to make foam. So a few weeks off but production on the edition is complete. The Lettered should be done soon as well.
:biggrin1::thumbsup::rock::excited::excited::clap:
Can you tell I am excited? As for the other book I have a guess but it is probably wrong.

jeffingoff
02-27-2020, 01:18 PM

EYES
OF
THE
DRAGON

Not that.

That's fantastic!

shaq
02-27-2020, 01:50 PM

A Suntup Edition of Luc Besson‘s “The Fifth Element” housed in a Super Green slipcase

I’d love it

Super green.

Hunchback Jack
02-27-2020, 05:13 PM

The invisible man will be green, yes?

HBJ

zelig
02-27-2020, 05:31 PM

The invisible man will be green, yes?

HBJ

It will it will yes... checking my records, it's 'evergreen' to be specific, and green ink too.

Patrick
02-27-2020, 09:37 PM
Those years when you could read Calvin & Hobbes, Bloom County, The Far Side, and even Matt Groening’s pre-Simpsons weekly Life in Hell really felt like a golden era in comic strips. While odds were never in our favor for C&H, thank you Paul for making the effort to see if it could be done. Any of the others would be greeted with just as much warmth and enthusiasm should you decide to pursue them. Thanks again.

jeffingoff
02-28-2020, 06:40 AM
Well I don’t know what I did to deserve such an amazing gift, but I’d like to thank Paul for my Red Dragon ARC. I’m not going to blather here because I already blathered in my unboxing video. Seriously, it’s probably one of my worst unboxings and that’s saying a lot. I get an ARC and you get an unwatchable video. There is no justice.

Again, THANK YOU PAUL!!

https://youtu.be/Nh6fokN9_hE

MikeDuke
02-28-2020, 06:43 AM
Wow. What a great gift Jeff. And you do deserve it. Your videos are now part of Suntup productions :). So, it awesome that you got one.
P.S Just watched the video. It was great and the fact that the cover is illustrated, man, that's the icing on the cake. So congrats on getting one.

webstar1000
02-28-2020, 06:50 AM
:drool:

jeffingoff
02-28-2020, 07:18 AM
Wow. What a great gift Jeff. And you do deserve it. Your videos are now part of Suntup productions :). So, it awesome that you got one.
P.S Just watched the video. It was great and the fact that the cover is illustrated, man, that's the icing on the cake. So congrats on getting one.

Thank you, Mike! I'm hoping that this vid will knock some people off the fence to go get a copy of the AGE so you can let us know that it's all sold out! Then I will feel complete.

:drool:

Oceans o' drool. If Paul removed the words Advance Review Copy off the cover, this would be an amazing edition all on its own. When it comes to Suntup books I am Gollum.

MikeDuke
02-28-2020, 07:27 AM
You know, I have things in the pipeline that need to be done but if any are left after that vid, I may get that one and IAL. That would make three GE that I would have.

zelig
02-28-2020, 07:29 AM
Good one Jeff! I especially like the part where you said it has pages! I'm pleased you noticed. It's a new innovation I'm experimenting with and I may end up doing that for all books going forward.

jeffingoff
02-28-2020, 07:30 AM
Good one Jeff! I especially like the part where you said it has pages! I'm pleased you noticed. It's a new innovation I'm experimenting with and I may end up doing that for all books going forward.

I notice all the details.

vincent
02-28-2020, 07:51 AM
Congrats on getting the ARC, Jeff. I’m happy for you. The unannounced and unexplained are the best ones! I enjoyed the video as per usual. The book looks great.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

stroppygoblin
02-28-2020, 08:51 AM
Still need time for shipping to me and we need to make foam.

https://media.giphy.com/media/2fJ38W9v08ypKc2xyp/giphy.gif

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-28-2020, 08:52 AM
I search E-Bay every day for the Suntup ARCs, but nobody's selling, and I don't blame the owners one bit!

Brian861
02-28-2020, 10:30 AM
That's awesome, brother! And what's better than Jeffingoff once, doing it twice :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjIos8z40g

Well I don’t know what I did to deserve such an amazing gift, but I’d like to thank Paul for my Red Dragon ARC. I’m not going to blather here because I already blathered in my unboxing video. Seriously, it’s probably one of my worst unboxings and that’s saying a lot. I get an ARC and you get an unwatchable video. There is no justice.

Again, THANK YOU PAUL!!

https://youtu.be/Nh6fokN9_hE

jeffingoff
02-28-2020, 11:12 AM
I have two more videos to do this weekend (from other publishers books). Maybe three. I'm going to get some tough looks from my wife for sure.

firemonkey66
02-28-2020, 03:41 PM
I search E-Bay every day for the Suntup ARCs, but nobody's selling, and I don't blame the owners one bit!

Well here’s your opportunity... Link to Red Dragon ARC (https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F27 4290053438)

I can’t help feeling some passing irritation seeing someone open the box containing this awesome ARC and practically breaking their fucking hand jamming it onto eBay as fast as humanly possible.

kingfan2323
02-28-2020, 03:55 PM

Well here’s your opportunity... Link to Red Dragon ARC (https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F27 4290053438)

I can’t help feeling some passing irritation seeing someone open the box containing this awesome ARC and practically breaking their fucking hand jamming it onto eBay as fast as humanly possible.Makes perfect sense a dealer would get one but would be Cool if they went to people that appreciate them and wanted to add them to their collection.

firemonkey66
02-28-2020, 04:00 PM
Makes perfect sense a dealer would get one but would be Cool if they went to people that appreciate them and wanted to add them to their collection.

I'm gonna give Roy the benefit of the doubt and assume he received more than one copy, and thus, opened and admired the contents of one while listing the unopened copy on ebay. If he only got one, though, it comes across as a douche-y move to me. But then again, my douche-radar is overly sensitive sometimes.

jeffingoff
02-28-2020, 04:12 PM

I can’t help feeling some passing irritation seeing someone open the box containing this awesome ARC and practically breaking their fucking hand jamming it onto eBay as fast as humanly possible.

I agree. But I know not everyone is in the book buying thing for the same reasons and we all got different situations. So I try not to judge. I just know that I’m not parting with mine.

firemonkey66
02-28-2020, 04:30 PM

I agree. But I know not everyone is in the book buying thing for the same reasons and we all got different situations. So I try not to judge. I just know that I’m not parting with mine.

I can't give you any rep before I spread some around, so I'll just say it here, the look on your face when you realize what's in the box is what keeps us coming back for more! We live vicariously through you, Jeff:)

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-28-2020, 04:51 PM
If only I was a rich millionaire with lots of money and cash and moola and sawbucks and offshore and Swiss bank accounts stuffed full of greenbacks and precious jewels like all of youse guys is!

webstar1000
02-28-2020, 05:04 PM
Roy is a book dealer. He put it up for .99
Cents. He is a good man.... trying to make money and no longer collects. He was gonna ask $250 and asked if I knew anyone. I informed him of the $1600
Sale and the other one over a grand. And told him to auction it. I hope he does well. And all us collectors here.... should hope for the same.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-28-2020, 05:09 PM
I've bought many books from Roy and Bad Moon books, I agree he is a good guy and his e-mails have often made me laugh out loud. He tells it like it is.

jeffingoff
02-28-2020, 05:20 PM
Roy is a book dealer. He put it up for .99
Cents. He is a good man.... trying to make money and no longer collects. He was gonna ask $250 and asked if I knew anyone. I informed him of the $1600
Sale and the other one over a grand. And told him to auction it. I hope he does well. And all us collectors here.... should hope for the same.

I do think it’s great that it gives someone a chance to own this beauty.

badmoonbooks
02-28-2020, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the props, Kris. I've been doing this for over 40 years, and this is not the first time I have been considered unscrupulous, nor will it be the last. Like Kris said, I DO NOT collect but sell books to supplement my income as a Lutheran pastor. What some people fail to realize is that as a dealer, we often have to take a lot of oysters to get a pearl. I buy from a lot of the bigger publishers and have to buy a ton of lesser stuff to get the good stuff. When the better items do come along, I need to try to recoup the funds spent on titles that do not sell well. As one person in this thread stated, I DO tend to "tell it like it is", but have softened over the years due to my present occupation, although I am still human. Criticisms from people who don't even know me still sting. OK, I'm out.

kingfan2323
02-28-2020, 05:53 PM
None of what has been said changes my opinion that it would be cooler if ARCs went to mega fans rather than a dealer that has no interest in it. Pretty uncontroversial and black and white I would think.

OldCrow88
02-28-2020, 06:52 PM
No shade on the seller per se, just noting for the record that the clearly stated 'Not For Sale' on the cover makes the whole auction thing kinda ironic.
Things that make you go hmmm... :shrug:

Patrick
02-28-2020, 06:56 PM
One of the reasons that shops like Roy’s gets items like these is because independent publishers recognize the value that these businesses bring in terms of customers and exposure for those presses and their products. I think that any shop selling an item like this is completely expected as a way to help keep the business running. Publishers know this, that’s why you’ll see them distribute these between shops (more likely to resell) and enthusiastic customers (more likely to keep). It’s all good in my opinion.

Speaking of enthusiastic fans, I just watched both Jeff’s un-enveloping (TR Broadside) and unboxing (RD ARC) videos. Always fun and entertaining! Congrats on the receipt both of your gifts, Jeff. I’m happy for you!

badmoonbooks
02-28-2020, 07:06 PM
That “not for sale” is on all ARC’s from almost all publishers and is specifically intended for in-house employees.

firemonkey66
02-28-2020, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the props, Kris. I've been doing this for over 40 years, and this is not the first time I have been considered unscrupulous, nor will it be the last. Like Kris said, I DO NOT collect but sell books to supplement my income as a Lutheran pastor. What some people fail to realize is that as a dealer, we often have to take a lot of oysters to get a pearl. I buy from a lot of the bigger publishers and have to buy a ton of lesser stuff to get the good stuff. When the better items do come along, I need to try to recoup the funds spent on titles that do not sell well. As one person in this thread stated, I DO tend to "tell it like it is", but have softened over the years due to my present occupation, although I am still human. Criticisms from people who don't even know me still sting. OK, I'm out.
Well I'll be damned, I never would have thought you're not a book collector. At first it seemed weird to me, but after thinking about it for a little while, it makes perfect sense. If you don't get high on your own supply, so to speak, you maximize your returns. Needless to say, consider my opinion about the ARC changed, and I apologize for rashly doling out undeserved criticism.

As penance, I'll share a story. One of my father's favorite books is Ender's Game, so for his birthday a number of years ago I bought a S/L Centipede Press Ender's Game from BadMoonBooks on eBay for him. When it arrived, it was packaged quite well, but one of the corners of the slipcase was bumped. I was irritated (surprise surprise), but it was replaced promptly and efficiently, which I appreciated. But then the replacement copy ended up having a glob of binding glue on the bottom edge of the page block that prevented probably a quarter of the pages from turning, and I couldn't remove the glue without causing damage. And I HAD to remove it because I knew my father would actually read the book because that's just the way he is, and I wanted him to enjoy the experience without having to yank apart some of the pages and damage them in the process. I was more irritated this time, but again it was replaced promptly and efficiently, and I can't be 100% positive, but I think the final copy was shipped directly from Jared. My father loved the book, read it carefully per my request, and displays it proudly in perfect (carefully read) condition thanks to BadMoonBooks.

And I just looked in my records and realized I only paid 265 dollars for it, which was 30 dollars less than publishing price; I had totally forgotten about the price. I'll finish this post how I started it, by saying 'well I'll be damned.'

badmoonbooks
02-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Thank you sir!

cit74
02-29-2020, 10:52 AM

I can say that I have had only good experiences with Roy - I have both bought and sold books from/to him. He helped me out a bunch with a rather large stock of books in the past - that I hope was mutually beneficial for both of us. Whenever I have seen a book of his on Ebay that interested me (or on his website) I have always contacted him personally and always received excellent customer service. We all do things for our own personal reasons - and there is no reason for anyone to feel the need to share all of the details...alas the tough part of the internet - is that we all have freedom to say what we want and there are little repercussions. This community is different though - many of us have met others and have had long standing relationships, and we help to not let things get out of hand (for the most part).

I forgot to add - on tdt we actually do feel comfortable with each other and therefore we can share a lot of things you might not share in other arenas - because we know and have come to expect a lot of support from everyone - and it has helped members get through some difficult times

Tommy
02-29-2020, 11:24 AM
Yeah, Roy's good people. There's plenty of a*holes to deal with on Ebay but Roy is not one of them. Good luck with the sale, Roy!

jeffingoff
02-29-2020, 12:48 PM
Yeah, Roy's good people. There's plenty of a*holes to deal with on Ebay but Roy is not one of them. Good luck with the sale, Roy!

I think I totally insulted Badmoonbooks with an offer once. [emoji16] Didn’t mean to. But that Make An Offer option made me do it!

MikeDuke
02-29-2020, 01:29 PM
I put this same info in my thread, but since it involves Paul and Suntup, I wanted to share it here as well.
Now this next item needs a little explanation. One day, I think it was Jeff said that Paul should make a Suntup cane. I think every body had a laugh and I said I would use it for sure because I use one anyway.
Then, out of the blue Paul emailed me and ask how high my current cane was and if I was right or left handed. So I wrote back and told him. A smarter person would have figured out where this was going
but I just thought it was odd idle talk. Well, I was wrong because a few weeks later I got this in the mail.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/phppF6v0RPM.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/phpiPbGbvPM.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/phpIdTuNcPM_1_.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/phpxgSnZTPM.jpg?9201

I mean, is that not bad ass or what. I freaking love this thing and use it all the time and I have received may compliments
on it. So thanks Paul. This just shows how good a person you really are.

Aremag
02-29-2020, 01:34 PM
That's awesome as hell. Is there going to be AGEs of the cane and a Jeff unboxing video?

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-29-2020, 01:47 PM
Cane I just say, that's skullright!

WeDealInLead
02-29-2020, 01:56 PM
Can someone break my leg so I can ask Paul for a PC copy? Thanks!

MikeDuke
02-29-2020, 02:11 PM
Yea man, it's killer in person. But that Suntup symbol on top really wowed me, since I did not notice it right away. It's those details that are what make Paul's work and design so great.
One more thing, the grip is designed specifically a right handed person. It just fits that hand. If you try to use your left hand, it would not work because it would feel strange.

webstar1000
02-29-2020, 02:12 PM
That’s sick man. 1/1 too..... Suntup completists will be knocking at your door!!!

MikeDuke
02-29-2020, 02:17 PM
Thanks Kris. And the Paul made me promise that I could not open it until my birthday. Of course I got it before then but I had no idea what the gift was. He only said he wanted to send me something
for my birth day. I was going crazy not knowing. I was floored when I saw it.

stroppygoblin
02-29-2020, 02:27 PM
Congratulations Mike - that is a truly wonderful gift.

bdwyer19
02-29-2020, 02:35 PM
That’s awesome! I could have used that when I had my hip replacement. Instead I went with a flashy purple one so I could have that pimped-out Kramer look.

Tommy
02-29-2020, 02:57 PM
That's really cool and I am totally jealous! I get dizzy walking and will probably need one of those soon but I'm not badass enough to use that one in public. That's so cool! Congrats! :clap:

firemonkey66
02-29-2020, 02:58 PM
Holy hell, that is an awesome and thoughtful gift, Mike and Paul! I love hearing stories like this; it soothes the misanthrope in me:)

Dr. Dawg
02-29-2020, 03:03 PM
Absolutely amazing! Incredibly thoughtful and unbelievably cool!

Patrick
02-29-2020, 04:02 PM
That cane is totally badass and an amazing generous gift! So cool!

MikeDuke
02-29-2020, 05:40 PM
Thanks everybody. Yea, I really like it. I always wanted something unique and this fits the bill for sure. Again, I need to thank Paul for this gift. It was such a surprise.
It just one more thing to add to what makes the Suntup community so great.

jeffingoff
02-29-2020, 06:09 PM
I said it over in your collection thread but this is really spectacular of Paul. That cane is a work of art. And I’d say it means a lot to all of us that he did that for you!

jeffingoff
02-29-2020, 06:26 PM
That's awesome as hell. Is there going to be AGEs of the cane and a Jeff unboxing video?

Hahahahaha! Happy to do an unboxing. Or would it be an untubing? Very special item right there.

lotuz
02-29-2020, 06:39 PM
Amazing story! And amazing gift! That story made my day. Thank you for sharing :)

zelig
02-29-2020, 06:52 PM
Mike, so good to see the pictures and even better to know how much you like it!

Garrell
02-29-2020, 07:27 PM
Very nice and thoughtful. Kudos Paul and congrats

Hunchback Jack
02-29-2020, 07:37 PM
What a cool gift, Mike! Truly one of a kind.

kingfan2323
02-29-2020, 07:41 PM
Great story! Thoughtful gifts are the best.

MikeDuke
02-29-2020, 09:22 PM
I said it over in your collection thread but this is really spectacular of Paul. That cane is a work of art. And I’d say it means a lot to all of us that he did that for you!

Thanks Jeff. I really appreciate the nice thoughts at the end of your statement. They mean a lot.

MikeDuke
02-29-2020, 09:24 PM
Amazing story! And amazing gift! That story made my day. Thank you for sharing :)
Thanks Lotuz. Yep, the story is amazing. And something I never would have expected.

MikeDuke
02-29-2020, 09:28 PM
The fact that you took the time, in between books, to do this for me means more than you can know.

MikeDuke
02-29-2020, 09:31 PM
And thanks everybody else. Like I said, it was a total surprise and one that I will always have as a reminder of the awesomeness that is Pau; Suntup.

Roseannebarr
03-01-2020, 12:05 AM
My guess is the next rebound book is going to be Christine. Just a hunch.

Noxus35
03-01-2020, 04:53 AM

The Green Mile perhaps?🤭📚

webstar1000
03-01-2020, 04:55 AM

The Green Mile perhaps?[emoji2960][emoji432]

Lol green is good.

shaq
03-01-2020, 08:39 AM
Is it sad that the first thought i had this morning was that we are now in the same month as the next announcement!!

Too excited

MikeDuke
03-01-2020, 08:49 AM
My guess is the next rebound book is going to be Christine. Just a hunch.
That would be awesome for you guys. That's acutally how I got started to talk with Paul. Way back then, he still said that he was doing
rebound books if you sent them in. We went back and forth but when Paul realized the work, and that Suntup Press was about to take
off, we did not do it. It's the first book I read in jr high school and I was hooked. So a rebound Christine would be awesome for
you guys.

MikeDuke
03-01-2020, 08:50 AM
Is it sad that the first thought i had this morning was that we are now in the same month as the next announcement!!

Too excited
Nope, not sad at all. I am really excited to see what it will be.

shaq
03-01-2020, 08:57 AM
Yes but... a rare night away from my partner and 3 year old, and my first thought was.......

Its march!!!

Lol

MikeDuke
03-01-2020, 09:00 AM
Yes but... a rare night away from my partner and 3 year old, and my first thought was.......

Its march!!!

Lol
It seems like you have your priorities in order to me :).

MikeDuke
03-01-2020, 09:05 AM
And for those interested the Red Dragon on eBay is now at $1,295 with what looks like 5 bidders but they are all listed as private. Still 1 day 5 hours left.

shaq
03-01-2020, 10:52 AM
Wow, even if that goes at that price, its pretty decent.

Wasnt it listed at $950 here.

Brian861
03-01-2020, 12:13 PM
That’s awesome! I could have used that when I had my hip replacement. Instead I went with a flashy purple one so I could have that pimped-out Kramer look.

:lol:

That's an awesome gesture, Paul and congrats, Mike! Hope you're strutting around with all kinds of sass.

MikeDuke
03-01-2020, 03:44 PM
You know it Brian. You know it.

OldCrow88
03-01-2020, 05:57 PM

The Green Mile perhaps?🤭📚

Or could be Make Room! Make Room!
Just don't eat the green stuff in the packet Paul includes with the book...

Extreme.Ways
03-01-2020, 06:58 PM
Wow, even if that goes at that price, its pretty decent.

Wasnt it listed at $950 here.

I’d love to pick up a S/L copy of Red Dragon from Suntup for less than $1000. I’m not even concerned about rights. Sure, they’d be nice, but I TRULY love the book and just want a copy for my collection. Normally, I’m a lettered Stephen King collector, but this book was the “one that got away.” My wife disappeared one random Tuesday after 12 years together, NEVER (quite literally) told me why, and took half of my lettered King books when I was taking my mom in for an appointment for her upcoming knee surgery. It was as surreal as any science fiction story. If someone could help me find a Red Dragon S/L, I would be forever grateful. Thank you all. I wish you all the best!

Michael Cross

Munnecom
03-01-2020, 10:20 PM
First of all: welcome!

Secondly, Red Dragon is expected to settle around the $1,000 mark, especially after the March announcement. With patience, you are sure to find one for that price. If you join the Fans of Suntup Editions group on Facebook here (https://www.facebook.com/groups/427078627977561/), its members can help you with the search.

Thirdly, I'm pretty sure this...

My wife disappeared one random Tuesday after 12 years together, NEVER (quite literally) told me why, and took half of my lettered King books

... is legal grounds for murder. I hope you're in a better place now.

shaq
03-02-2020, 02:46 AM
Michael, the limit per household was 2, soi suspect there may be some come onto the market following the announcement of the next book (not all, as some do like a couple of each on the shelves).

You will get one, as a lettered collector, I'm sure I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs!!

zelig
03-02-2020, 01:20 PM
I saw all those great photos people were posting of their framed The Road prints, and I got jealous. So here's mine...

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/IMG_0214.jpg

Noxus35
03-02-2020, 01:28 PM
I saw all those great photos people were posting of their framed The Road prints, and I got jealous. So here's mine...

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/IMG_0214.jpg

Even your framework looks extraordinarily good . 👌🏻😎

MikeDuke
03-02-2020, 01:33 PM
Wow Paul, that looks awesome. I still need to frame mine and find a place to hang it.

Hunchback Jack
03-02-2020, 01:44 PM
Paul, if I may ask, how did you frame that while keeping all edges of the broadsheet visible? Is it just the pressure of the glass keeping it in place on the matte?

HBJ

kingfan2323
03-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Paul, if I may ask, how did you frame that while keeping all edges of the broadsheet visible? Is it just the pressure of the glass keeping it in place on the matte?

HBJI'm frame shopping and WAS JUST wondering the same thing!

lotuz
03-02-2020, 02:32 PM
My guess is that the broadside itself is mounted on the brown background. I don't think it can be the pressure of the glass because the black mat is going to be at least 1/16" thick, which is much thicker than the broadside itself, and there might even be a spacer in the frame so that the black mat is not flush against the glass.

This is all speculation, though!

zelig
03-02-2020, 02:50 PM

HBJ

I checked with the framer and he says this is called a museum float. They mount the print on archival board with acid free tape, then the board is mounted to the matte behind it. This is ideal for prints such as this which have a deckled edge so you can see the whole print.

Hunchback Jack
03-02-2020, 06:43 PM

HBJ

I checked with the framer and he says this is called a museum float. They mount the print on archival board with acid free tape, then the board is mounted to the matte behind it. This is ideal for prints such as this which have a deckled edge so you can see the whole print.

Ah, thank you. I wondered if some adhesive or tape were used. "Archival board" and "acid-free tape" are the terms I will look for/use when I look at my own mounting/framing options.

HBJ

ym2000
03-03-2020, 03:41 AM
If anyone is looking for Lettered editions - I’m selling below issue price:
Brother $1900
Horns Plus Matching letter Paperweight $3000
The Haunting Of Hill House $2300
Please DM with any questions.
Condition is new, original shipping boxes and packaging.
F&F Plus shipping - USPS or Express or UPS

kingfan2323
03-03-2020, 04:47 PM
My copy of the The Road makes it complete (for now)! #183 across the board. Wanted to share my excitement. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200304/48aa75eaffec0dd4ff384a64c344e840.jpg

jeffingoff
03-03-2020, 04:50 PM
Congrats! It’s a great feeling

Br!an
03-03-2020, 05:12 PM
:clap:

MikeDuke
03-04-2020, 06:37 AM
That's awesome. I have #130 of that set but it looks like you have more of the GE than I do so congrats on that.

webstar1000
03-04-2020, 06:37 AM
congrats man!

kingfan2323
03-04-2020, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

seeking Gunslinger #246

lotuz
03-04-2020, 11:01 AM
Great shelf! Most of my books are organized by publisher and order of publication and I just love watching mine and everyone else's "Suntup shelf" grow and grow :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200304/48aa75eaffec0dd4ff384a64c344e840.jpg

jeffingoff
03-04-2020, 11:08 AM
Great shelf! Most of my books are organized by publisher and order of publication and I just love watching mine and everyone else's "Suntup shelf" grow and grow :)

Me too! I own all the same Suntups as pictured (all non-King numbered and AGEs) and I recently decided on a reordering. I realized with my purchase of The War of the Worlds that I will own the first ten non-King numbered editions all with the same number (thanks to a random miracle-person). So I thought I'd put all the numbered editions together and all the AGEs together. It's getting too cumbersome just lining them all together in order of publication.

MikeDuke
03-04-2020, 11:13 AM

Me too! I own all the same Suntups as pictured (all non-King numbered and AGEs) and I recently decided on a reordering. I realized with my purchase of The War of the Worlds that I will own the first ten non-King numbered editions all with the same number (thanks to a random miracle-person). So I thought I'd put all the numbered editions together and all the AGEs together. It's getting too cumbersome just lining them all together in order of publication.
I will also own all 10 non-King numbered and one GE. So I am sort of there with you guys. I debate on getting the AGE. I still may get them if I can. It depends on what else I may have on the hook.

jeffingoff
03-04-2020, 11:25 AM

I will also own all 10 non-King numbered and one GE. So I am sort of there with you guys. I debate on getting the AGE. I still may get them if I can. It depends on what else I may have on the hook.

Far be it from me to tell others how to collect and spend their money, but I don't see how anyone can pass on Suntup AGEs. They are no compromise editions. Look at Red Dragon--each edition of that book is its own unique expression. If I could afford it (and wrestle my way onto it) I'd jump on the lettered track--but even still I'd always save a spot on the shelf for the AGE. I've read both Horns and RB AGEs and they were wonderful experiences. I swear I handle them as carefully as the numbered editions.

MikeDuke
03-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Don't tempt me. I have a few things going on. First I need to see what the next book will be. Then Ralph may have some stuff that will interest me. Plus my Dali guy called to see if I was ready for something new.
So lots of stuff possibly going on. We shall see in the next few weeks. I do have to admit that the prices are so good that I could get IAL and Red Dragon without an issue. RB would have to eBay of course but those
still aren't that bad. We shall see.

kingfan2323
03-04-2020, 11:43 AM
Someone on here (maybe Jeff) got two RB gifts in order to display both DJ options. Cool idea.

seeking Gunslinger #246

jeffingoff
03-04-2020, 11:47 AM
Someone on here (maybe Jeff) got two RB gifts in order to display both DJ options. Cool idea.

seeking Gunslinger #246

Yeah that was me. Maybe there are others. Fun bit of self-indulgence.

Hunchback Jack
03-04-2020, 11:49 AM
Suntup AGEs are definitely worth getting, I agree.

lotuz
03-04-2020, 12:11 PM

So where will you put the ARCs? :evil:

Before or after the numbered edition? Or separate? And what would you do if you had the lettered editions?

I'm happy to move this to a different thread but I'm actually really curious how everyone displays their Suntups, especially if they have multiple books and more than one edition.

My order for my Centipede Press books is ARC->Deluxe->Limited->Trade, by order of publication. But I have played around a lot with my Suntup Editions because (a) there are just a lot fewer of them, and (b) they are really pretty books so I want to display them in a visually appealing way, also.

EDIT:

Suntup AGEs are definitely worth getting, I agree.

Agree! And they all seem to be selling for ~2x their initial price (on eBay at least) so if you get them now and decide you don't need them, you can almost definitely get your money back.

Speaking of, the last Misery AGE on eBay went for $300, which is more than the list price for most Sub Press/CD/DRP/etc. lettered editions! :panic:

MikeDuke
03-04-2020, 12:12 PM
OK OK :). I get it. I will try and see if I can squeeze them in, in between everything else.

MikeDuke
03-04-2020, 12:14 PM
If I got more, I would probably put it before the numbered ed. Now my two ARC Suntup books that I have are in my ARC\Proof section. But next to each other.

kingfan2323
03-04-2020, 12:18 PM

Before or after the numbered edition? Or separate? And what would you do if you had the lettered editions?

I'm happy to move this to a different thread but I'm actually really curious how everyone displays their Suntups, especially if they have multiple books and more than one edition.

My order for my Centipede Press books is ARC->Deluxe->Limited->Trade, by order of publication. But I have played around a lot with my Suntup Editions because (a) there are just a lot fewer of them, and (b) they are really pretty books so I want to display them in a visually appealing way, also.With King stuff I go First Edition then Gifts on regular shelf and anything else on separate bookcase behind UV protected glass. Only have a couple ARCs and lettered. If I had a lettered Suntup - in order of publication Lettered, Numbered, Gift.

seeking Gunslinger #246

Hunchback Jack
03-04-2020, 12:21 PM
I group my Suntups by title, in release order, with Numbered first, then AGE, then ARC.

HBJ

jeffingoff
03-04-2020, 12:22 PM

Don't think I haven't sweated where to put the ARCs! I really don't know. I imagine I might group all the AGEs in order of publication, the ARCs, and then all the numbered editions. Having to accommodate the lettered editions is something I'll never have to worry about. I don't have the money or the space to give them the display they'd deserve.

Speaking of, the last Misery AGE on eBay went for $300, which is more than the list price for most Sub Press/CD/DRP/etc. lettered editions! :panic:

It was sold with the penguin--just something to consider.

MikeDuke
03-04-2020, 12:23 PM
Mine are in release order as well.

Garrell
03-04-2020, 08:20 PM
My Suntup’s are scattered. They go with their authors collection.

kingfan2323
03-04-2020, 08:48 PM
My Suntup’s are scattered. They go with their authors collection.Good idea BUT that means you have A LOT of books and varied authors! Nice. My Suntups are all my first from each author except for Cormac, King, Harris.

seeking Gunslinger #246

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-04-2020, 09:41 PM
As soon as someone sends me all the Suntup ARCs I am missing I will decide where to put them.

summer
03-04-2020, 10:25 PM
[emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

webstar1000
03-05-2020, 02:59 AM
IF SOMEONE is interested... I have a friend who is selling all his ARC’s. He has them all but Misery. PM me if interested

MikeDuke
03-05-2020, 06:32 AM
People probably know this already, but as a reminder (or if you did not know), it looks like there is 1 Time Machine for sale on Paul's site.

shaq
03-05-2020, 09:09 AM
Editted...

Got it, althoughpostagewas crazy high $80!!

Noxus35
03-05-2020, 09:16 AM
Missed it.

Check again! 😎

https://shop.suntup.press/products/the-time-machine-numbered-edition?variant=30430864867408