PDA

View Full Version : Suntup Editions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

Hunchback Jack
09-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Hehe. The silence in this thread was deafening. :)

(Ordered as well, of course)

jeffingoff
09-22-2019, 10:55 AM

How do you take the silence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunchback Jack
09-22-2019, 10:58 AM

Cream, no sugar.

jeffingoff
09-22-2019, 11:00 AM

Cream, no sugar.

[emoji15][emoji23]

Br!an
09-22-2019, 11:15 AM

The first rule ...

swintek
09-22-2019, 11:25 AM
I’ve been thinking about one of the survey questions, the one about the importance of letterpress printing. I chose the “nice, but nonessential” option. While I certainly appreciate the process and the result, its added value for me is not the same as that of, say, a leather binding (over cloth), a tray- or slipcase (over a naked book) or more illustrations.

Here’s my question to Paul:

If you were to publish Horns again, but printed offset this time, how would that affect your retail price? In other words, how much of that $675 comes from letterpress printing?

Don’t answer if you can’t or don’t want to - I’m just curious, is all.

That is an excellent question, and one I've been meaning to ask here myself. So, while I'm here- If Paul chooses to talk about this- can you talk about what letterpress process you've been contracting? I know very little about it, but understand that there are a few different ways to do it now; something with polymer plates? In any case, I also voted for not doing it if it would "considerably" lower prices, as I believe Paul has stated in the past.

Sometimes I wish I could just give a short answer.

There are so many production costs that determine the final retail price. If we're focusing only on printing, and comparing offset to letterpress, I can't give you an accurate answer because I don't have this book quoted for offset printing. A wild guess would put retail for the Numbered edition somewhere between $350 and $450. But that's really just a very wild guess.

More respondents went with letterpress than I would have expected. There's no exact science behind the printing process decision, but I do want to see a good mix so that not all titles are published at letterpress-type pricing. Page count is a really important factor. We have a book in the pipeline that is 800+ pages, another will likely break 1000 pages. To print those letterpress would push the price through the stratosphere, and we don't want that.

Ron, as to the technical details of letterpress, it's a subject that most times I am reluctant to speak of. It's one of those things that unless you are what you might call an 'expert', you have studied the art of letterpress printing, you have printed yourself for years, etc. it seems to me that any answer would prove inadequate and lacking. It's a dense subject. When I hear my printer speak of it, I am usually in awe at the highly technical nature of it. There are many aspects to consider. For example, if the impression is too deep on the page it can distort the type. The choice of paper is really important. I accept my limitations in such things. I rely on the expertise of others, and this applies to letterpress.

However, I will say that yes we use photopolymer plates. It's an industry standard, and the printing machine is a Heidelberg Cylinder press. You could look those up online if you want to read more about it. I'd like to print something with metal type some day, but that's a whole other discussion.

Since we're on the subject, I have a book we're working on which will be printed on a different machine; a hand-fed Vandercook press. This one is interesting, and more will be revealed in good time.

There's this video I once made when we were printing Misery, where you can see the press in operation: https://vimeo.com/272587976.

Appreciate all of your thoughtful comments here, Paul. I've got a little project that I'm working on and have been doing a bit of research on the subject- it is complicated! Even though I voted in your survey to trade letterpress for lower prices, your passion and gut-feeling have obviously served you well thus far, and I am sure those qualities will carry you and your publications successfully forward.

And- I am very intrigued by the Vandercook project!

NiceM
09-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Let it be the 28th, so the silence becomes a roar.

MikeDuke
09-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Ordered, and a good choice IMHO.

Scoogs
09-22-2019, 03:54 PM
Clearly it's Yoda's cane, not a vampire stake.

Scoogs
09-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Just out of legitimate curiosity, why do you hope for Salem's Lot?

I love the book and we all agree Suntup could make a fantastic version, but...why?
We already have 2 editions from Centipede Press, 3 from Cemetery Dance and 1 from PS publishing(not sure if they did a lettered too).

6 limited editions of one book, 4 in the last few years, already seems like overkill to me. (Maybe that's why I barely collect anymore).

I agree that there have been a lot of versions of this book, and I do see the edition that Centipede Press did as a "definitive version", as in "a unique and interesting treatment and if the book never got another S/L I would be happy with this one."

However, I'm just totally enamored with a good small-press treatment of books I love, and Suntup is right on the forefront of that. So to me it matters less that there have been 1 or 5 or 10 prior versions of the book, and more that it is a book I like and that I think Paul could provide a worthy take on. He could produce exclusively versions of books that already have S/L editions from other presses and I'd still be happy. Is that an optimal use of his skills? Probably not. There are a lot of other really good limited editions out there that if they are never done again I'd feel like I have a copy that I'm happy with. But the number of previous editions of a book is less important to me than (1) "is it a book I like", and (2) "do I think Paul could provide a unique version of it", hence the interest in a Suntup edition of Dracula, which has been done many other times, some very, very well (thinking of the recent Amaranthine Books release, which was excellent).

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I took no offense at all to the question - it's totally legitimate and I could easily understand a different position from mine - that one might want a focus on the multitude of books that don't already have limited editions!

Thanks, it's always interesting how we all approach collecting differently.

WeDealInLead
09-22-2019, 05:03 PM
I don't understand the need for secrecy if the general public isn't even allowed to buy the book. What difference does it make?

Black Miau
09-22-2019, 05:31 PM
Just say it! :tongue:

zelig
09-22-2019, 05:53 PM
I don't understand the need for secrecy if the general public isn't even allowed to buy the book. What difference does it make?

Everything that follows is just my opinion, and since the question was asked, I figured I'd answer as best I can.

Here's my short answer: It makes no difference if you'd prefer to just read the CliffsNotes instead of savoring the entire book.

And my longer answer: It would destroy what is at the heart of our new book announcements. In the case of the next book, there is a specific plan in place which began with Jeff Terry; particularly when he held up the paper showing a date of 9/28/19. Those who saw it are waiting in anticipation for that date to hear what the book is. If we reveal that information now, it would be like telling someone who just started reading a book, what happens at the end.

For those who didn't see the video, or who are not members or lurkers of this forum, then their first exposure to our next book would be rather bland in my opinion. No build-up, no teaser, etc.

I like the excitement it generates, and from what I have seen through emails and posts, the customers like it too. It's the enthusiasm that drives this. Creating an atmosphere of excitement around the books we publish is important to me. If it can take us away from the drudgery of life, even for a minute, then why not.

BUT, if there were a general consensus (say one that became evident from a survey we conducted) that no one cares about the "teaser" aspect of our roll-outs, and simply wants to be told what the book is, without the build-up of anticipation, the videos, etc., then yes it would make no difference, and I'd just announce books with an email.

Personally, I'd prefer to sit back and enjoy the movie.

WeDealInLead
09-22-2019, 06:05 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know who Jeff Terry is. I saw some people already ordered the book before the announcement. Either that or that was some inside joke.

I'm NOT asking you to reveal what the book is, I'm just not sure what's going on exactly

zelig
09-22-2019, 06:14 PM
No need to apologize. This one was just a little different in part because of Jeff’s involvement. Which came out of a comment on this forum. Maybe someone can post a link to that video. I think it was posted up thread.

jeffingoff
09-22-2019, 06:29 PM
No need to apologize. This one was just a little different in part because of Jeff’s involvement. Which came out of a comment on this forum. Maybe someone can post a link to that video. I think it was posted up thread.

Here it is. I couldn't agree with your explanation more, Paul. It's all part of the experience.

http://youtu.be/nxos80ysd_k

Munnecom
09-22-2019, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know who Jeff Terry is. I saw some people already ordered the book before the announcement. Either that or that was some inside joke.

I'm NOT asking you to reveal what the book is, I'm just not sure what's going on exactly

Owners of a lettered/numbered (<250) edition of Brother received an email yesterday with a link to buy the next book, which will be revealed to the general public this Saturday.

swintek
09-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Oh, you have to keep up the mystique! Absolutely. It's as fun as everything else about the books. The way this one is teased/revealed is great. And, I'm pretty sure there will be copies available for folks who don't have an inside number yet, so- stay tuned, folks...

NiceM
09-22-2019, 09:43 PM

Owners of a lettered/numbered (<250) edition of Brother received an email yesterday with a link to buy the next book, which will be revealed to the general public this Saturday.

Maybe us lucky ones need to keep our silence here as well despite our giddiness when Paul’s pre-order mail arrives. We managed that with Brother, we can do it!:)

Munnecom
09-22-2019, 11:23 PM
If that's what people want, sure. On the other hand, it helps build the hype, doesn't it?

Lurker
09-22-2019, 11:30 PM
Well, there will be at least one for sale. I have no interest in the book and have even less interest in the price. I guess I am just not the target collector. Even a SK book at the price would make me think twice. It's not I can't afford it, I just find myself not wanting to. The artist editions, if there are more, I will buy. And the cubes. I really like the cubes. But I just don't wee myself over the books. Sorry. They are very special, but maybe not for everyone (me).

Munnecom
09-23-2019, 12:01 AM
The price is daunting, for sure. With the payment plan fee, shipping cost and import duties, I can add another 30% on top of it.

Such is the cost of living overseas, though. I am interested in this title and I don't want to give up my place in line, so my order is in.

Brian861
09-23-2019, 12:09 AM
I can see this one selling out quickly. I'm down for the limited and gift.

Munnecom
09-23-2019, 12:17 AM
If all goes to plan, there will be five Suntup packages going out in the next six months. :excited:

It's telling that my wife, who doesn't give a fig about my collecting habits, knows Paul as "the guy who does your numbered books."

webstar1000
09-23-2019, 03:33 AM

Do you not collect the books from Suntup? As you didn't get the link I am assuming you don't? I thought you did for some reason.

WeDealInLead
09-23-2019, 04:14 AM
I have the Misery gift and Rosemary's Baby gift on order through Camelot.

shaq
09-23-2019, 06:27 AM
Im at odds. I like the build up but like spoilers too!!!!

I'm not in the lettered or numbered club by the way, so havent got a scoobies what it is, but WOULD wee myself a little bit if it was one of my 3 titles I submitted and would be raiding my daughters piggy bank to get them :)

shaq
09-23-2019, 06:32 AM
In short, if it was one of the 3, or a book i like, i would probably be more likely to drop everything to try and secure a copy.

But that is practicalities, not the excitement of the announcement which i like too.

See, at odds.

Munnecom
09-23-2019, 06:50 AM
What did you ask for?

jeffingoff
09-23-2019, 07:42 AM
Ordered and ORDERED!

shaq
09-23-2019, 07:45 AM
I asked for

Replay by Ken Grimshaw
2001 a space odyssey and
The Thomas Covenent Chronicles.

All excellent.

Black Miau
09-23-2019, 07:55 AM
For those who are interested, I will give a hint.
A book published by Folio Society

I hope nobody feels offended.

Ari_Racing
09-23-2019, 08:23 AM
Since I have Misery SL and I didn't receive an email, it's safe to say it's not a Stephen King book, right?

webstar1000
09-23-2019, 08:25 AM
Since I have Misery SL and I didn't receive an email, it's safe to say it's not a Stephen King book, right?

Ummmmm

St. Troy
09-23-2019, 08:25 AM

Maybe the thing to do is to contact Paul directly with this kind of question.

Garrell
09-23-2019, 08:35 AM
Ordered :)

Rooster
09-23-2019, 09:13 AM
Replay by Ken Grimshaw
2001 a space odyssey and

Ken Grimwood? Replay is excellent, good choice! And I'm not sure if you've heard, but Grim Oak Press is doing Lord Foul's Bane, and their plan is to do at least the first Chronicles.

BadHatHarry
09-23-2019, 09:22 AM
Ordered here as well.

BadHatHarry
09-23-2019, 09:27 AM
I’ve been thinking about one of the survey questions, the one about the importance of letterpress printing. I chose the “nice, but nonessential” option. While I certainly appreciate the process and the result, its added value for me is not the same as that of, say, a leather binding (over cloth), a tray- or slipcase (over a naked book) or more illustrations.

I know there's been other news since this post, but I wanted to go back to this for just a moment. I felt like the survey question is somewhat limiting. To me, the entire presentation matters, not just letterpress or not. I have an interest in books that are truly unique and special - not just a new dustjacket and a signature page.

I'm not a huge Joe Hill fan, but the numbered edition of Horns is one of my favorite books that I own because of how unique it is, the excellent slipcase, and all of the little details. For instance, how Charnel House incorporates elements of the story into the design - those look and feel like special books to which a lot of attention was paid.

So to me, the question isn't so much as "letterpress: yes or no," but what does the entire book look like? I hope that makes sense.

Beverly Marsh
09-23-2019, 09:49 AM

Ummmmm

I'm in the same boat and these replies are very cryptic :)

Hunchback Jack
09-23-2019, 09:54 AM
... havent got a scoobies ...

I approve of this phrase.

HBJ

Ari_Racing
09-23-2019, 09:55 AM

Ummmmm

I'm in the same boat and these replies are very cryptic :)

Sent you a PM.

NiceM
09-23-2019, 10:03 AM
Imo, only Paul should hand out the hints and spoilers. He showed he's brilliant at keeping the suspense high with Jeff on board. The man is very active here so the wait never has to be long. And the 28th isn't far off either. I ordered my letter and a reading copy this time because the art is always amazing with suntup editions. Best way to get a scoop before the general public is to buy a copy <250 :rock: this time

OldCrow88
09-23-2019, 01:13 PM
....And my order is in!

PennyUnwise
09-23-2019, 01:25 PM
For those who are interested, I will give a hint.
A book published by Folio Society

I hope nobody feels offended.

I am Legend?

RichardX
09-23-2019, 01:44 PM
I have no inside info since I didn't get the email but based on the clues (or as they used to say clews) here it sounds like:

1) Not a King novel
2) It is I Am Legend or Dracula. I'm hoping for Dracula but guessing it is IAL.

PennyUnwise
09-23-2019, 02:00 PM
I have no inside info since I didn't get the email but based on the clues (or as they used to say clews) here it sounds like:

1) Not a King novel
2) It is I Am Legend or Dracula. I'm hoping for Dracula but guessing it is IAL.

But Folio didn't publish Dracula as hinted above.... They did do IAL though.

shaq
09-23-2019, 02:05 PM
Replay by Ken Grimshaw
2001 a space odyssey and

Ken Grimwood? Replay is excellent, good choice! And I'm not sure if you've heard, but Grim Oak Press is doing Lord Foul's Bane, and their plan is to do at least the first Chronicles.

I wasn’t aware, thank you, I will have a look. Cheers

lotuz
09-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Folio Society did Dracula in 2008 :)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/984/medium/30163487589_4.jpg

PennyUnwise
09-23-2019, 06:09 PM
Folio Society did Dracula in 2008 :)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/984/medium/30163487589_4.jpg

Interesting, my bad, didnt pop up on a search! That looks nice. Still betting on IAL as it was recent and in the hinter's head I'm sure.

Munnecom
09-23-2019, 08:27 PM
The Folio Society will release a Limited Edition of Dracula on 9 October.

Edit: I vote that no one gives any hints next time. It would be a shame if the genie is let out of the bottle too early.

NiceM
09-25-2019, 11:50 AM
*cricket*

jeffingoff
09-25-2019, 12:34 PM
**not even chirping**

OldCrow88
09-25-2019, 06:24 PM
I am silent and invisible as Drax.https://images.ladbible.com/thumbnail?type=jpeg&url=http://beta.ems.ladbiblegroup.com/s3/content/b867c1905cdd32d2bf5966ac0e79381e.png&quality=70&width=720

jeffingoff
09-25-2019, 06:25 PM
I am silent and invisible as Drax.https://images.ladbible.com/thumbnail?type=jpeg&url=http://beta.ems.ladbiblegroup.com/s3/content/b867c1905cdd32d2bf5966ac0e79381e.png&quality=70&width=720

YOU WIN! Drax is the goddamned best!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

zelig
09-26-2019, 07:28 AM
That guy must have the same personal trainer as me. I have a similar build.

So I'll be doing a Facebook live tomorrow (Friday) at 9am Pacific. Lots to go over. The new book, there will be a flash contest with prizes, and I will be announcing winners of previous contests, RB shipping update, The Road, etc.

MikeDuke
09-26-2019, 07:33 AM
Looking forward to Fri Paul.

webstar1000
09-26-2019, 07:42 AM

So I'll be doing a Facebook live tomorrow (Friday) at 9am Pacific. Lots to go over. The new book, there will be a flash contest with prizes, and I will be announcing winners of previous contests, RB shipping update, The Road, etc.

nice!

zelig
09-26-2019, 08:06 AM
Someone was asking for a link: https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/ (https://www.facebook.com/suntupeditions/). If you follow or join the page you will get notifications whenever there is a live broadcast or post, etc.

Munnecom
09-26-2019, 09:48 AM
I'll have to watch it later, as that's just about dinner time for me.

I can flash you some other time, but the prize better be worth it.

Brian861
09-26-2019, 10:00 AM

Ugh. I hate getting out bed before noon. But if Paul is flashing people for prizes, reckon I'll be there.

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-26-2019, 10:25 AM
I can't enter Facebook contests because I detest Facebook, so just put me down as an automatic winner.
Thanking you in advance.

zelig
09-26-2019, 12:03 PM
I can't enter Facebook contests because I detest Facebook, so just put me down as an automatic winner.
Thanking you in advance.

Done you’ve won. Contest is over.

lotuz
09-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Thanking you in advance.

Done you’ve won. Contest is over.

I am not on FB either and also will be at toddler story time at the library so Steve I'll PM you my address and you can just send your winnings my way. Paul you have my address if you want to cut out the middleman

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-26-2019, 02:11 PM
That was easy come, easy go.

Munnecom
09-26-2019, 09:08 PM
I am not on FB either and also will be at toddler story time at the library so Steve I'll PM you my address and you can just send your winnings my way. Paul you have my address if you want to cut out the middleman

... I want to hear toddler story time. Can you livestream it?

OldCrow88
09-27-2019, 02:02 AM

They read Stephen King to toddlers at your local library? That's awesome!

jeffingoff
09-27-2019, 03:02 AM

They read Stephen King to toddlers at your local library? That's awesome!

I think it’s The Zombie Who Cried Human today.

SystemCrashOverRide
09-27-2019, 07:30 AM
The countdown begins. 30 minutes until I get to find out what the cool kids already know.

zelig
09-27-2019, 07:33 AM
The countdown begins. 30 minutes until I get to find out what the cool kids already know.

You’re cool too man.

SystemCrashOverRide
09-27-2019, 08:00 AM
Alright lets do this.

firemonkey66
09-27-2019, 08:20 AM
Hey Paul, in the video there is a framed 'something' on the wall behind you under the Suntup sign, what is it?

Garrell
09-27-2019, 08:21 AM
Bah, was busy at work

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 08:23 AM
DAMM... two books shipping next month!! I think I won a proof! Have to wait to be sure though! lol GOOD VID PAUL!

jeffingoff
09-27-2019, 08:23 AM
Great video as always!

Brian861
09-27-2019, 08:28 AM
DAMM... two books shipping next month!! I think I won a proof! Have to wait to be sure though! lol GOOD VID PAUL!

Looks like maybe you and Jeff both.

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 08:29 AM

Looks like maybe you and Jeff both.

Nice! I was fast cause I knew it where I plan to read all her work. Haha

Kongo
09-27-2019, 08:30 AM
ENDLESS ONSLAUGHT OF "SEED"

MikeDuke
09-27-2019, 08:36 AM
Very excited to see RB and The Road. It was a great video as always. I need to watch it again to get all the details.

SystemCrashOverRide
09-27-2019, 08:41 AM
I misunderstood and thought the next book was going to be announced during that live stream. So now I'll go back to waiting to find out what the cool kids already know.

zelig
09-27-2019, 08:45 AM
Hey Paul, in the video there is a framed 'something' on the wall behind you under the Suntup sign, what is it?

It's the original Rachel Readman drawing of the Ouroboros dragon which I commissioned for the Palladini bio book that was included with the art portfolio. It has a lot of meaning to me because it is symbolic of my life experiences over the past 30 years, and more specifically with the birth of the press.

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/IMG_8799.jpg

MikeDuke
09-27-2019, 08:50 AM
That looks really cool Paul. A great piece of art.

firemonkey66
09-27-2019, 08:52 AM

It's the original Rachel Readman drawing of the Ouroboros dragon which I commissioned for the Palladini bio book that was included with the art portfolio. It has a lot of meaning to me because it is symbolic of my life experiences over the past 30 years, and more specifically with the birth of the press.

That is an awesomely detailed piece of art, thank you for sharing a close-up!

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 08:54 AM

How is she anyways? Haven’t heard from her forever!

MikeDuke
09-27-2019, 08:55 AM
It almost looks like an Escher style piece of art.

zelig
09-27-2019, 09:27 AM
The first three realtime comments with the correct answer for the Brother ARC are:

1. Kris Webster
2. Jeff Terry
3. Simon Mason

Well done guys!

Hunchback Jack
09-27-2019, 10:14 AM
The first three realtime comments with the correct answer for the Brother ARC are:

1. Kris Webster
2. Jeff Terry
3. Simon Mason

Well done guys!

WOO HOO! TDT represent!

Just watching the vid now, Paul. RB numbered looks stunning. Amazing work. I can’t wait to see it in the flesh.

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 10:16 AM

1. Kris Webster
2. Jeff Terry
3. Simon Mason

Well done guys!

Thanks Paul!

MikeDuke
09-27-2019, 10:20 AM

1. Kris Webster
2. Jeff Terry
3. Simon Mason

Well done guys!
A big congrats guys.

jeffingoff
09-27-2019, 11:03 AM

1. Kris Webster
2. Jeff Terry
3. Simon Mason

Well done guys!

Thank you! I’m thrilled! Even more thrilled to know you’re considering doing SEED.

MikeDuke
09-27-2019, 11:10 AM

1. Kris Webster
2. Jeff Terry
3. Simon Mason

Well done guys!

Thank you! I’m thrilled! Even more thrilled to know you’re considering doing SEED.

Congrats Jeff. I know you will enjoy having it in your collection.

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 11:18 AM

1. Kris Webster
2. Jeff Terry
3. Simon Mason

Well done guys!

I agree. I like to see more of her work being done. Have you read it man?

jeffingoff
09-27-2019, 11:21 AM

1. Kris Webster
2. Jeff Terry
3. Simon Mason

Well done guys!

I agree. I like to see more of her work being done. Have you read it man?

No but I am eager to. I loved BROTHER.

Munnecom
09-27-2019, 12:03 PM
“I’m a trained professional and I know what I’m doing. I treat my books very well.” *THUD*

:panic:

Brian861
09-27-2019, 12:19 PM

1. Kris Webster
2. Jeff Terry
3. Simon Mason

Well done guys!

Congrats, gang! I was just trying to type what Kris said but wasn't quick enough :lol:

Black Miau
09-27-2019, 12:42 PM
I did not understand that it was Seed. Until it was very late. I just had to write Seed as an act of faith. Congrats!

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Congrats to the lucky winners. I reluctantly admit that Facebook is good for something.

Black Miau
09-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Ordered!

stroppygoblin
09-27-2019, 02:26 PM

1. Kris Webster
2. Jeff Terry
3. Simon Mason

Well done guys!

Well, Thank You Sir!

peripheral
09-27-2019, 02:53 PM
I just saw that Rachel Readman drawing - gorgeous... And congrats on the arc, fellas.

Munnecom
09-28-2019, 05:02 AM
Someone posted a screenshot from the order page of the numbered edition on LibraryThing, so the secret is out.

jeffingoff
09-28-2019, 05:03 AM
Someone posted a screenshot from the order page of the numbered edition on LibraryThing, so the secret is out.

That person couldn’t hold their nut for just 3 more hours?? It’s like spoiling an Avengers movie.

OldCrow88
09-28-2019, 05:05 AM
Premature Enunciation.

Munnecom
09-28-2019, 05:09 AM
Wow, I just checked the dates. I saw a Facebook post from 16 hours ago that linked to LT, but the original LT post was made on the 23rd.

What a scummy move.

Stockerlone
09-28-2019, 05:10 AM

1. Kris Webster
2. Jeff Terry
3. Simon Mason

Well done guys!

Big congrats guys !!!
(Ari did not win, something is wrong with the universe.):excited:

jeffingoff
09-28-2019, 05:10 AM
Wow, I just checked the dates. I saw a Facebook post from 16 hours ago that linked to LT, but the original LT post was made on the 23rd.

What a scummy move.

Yeah that’s rotten. Some people just don’t get it.

Munnecom
09-28-2019, 05:19 AM
"We were asked not to share the password but nothing was mentioned of the images. In fact sharing images only helps Suntup, so I certainly don't see anything unethical or wrong with it."

:Ball Kick:

Munnecom
09-28-2019, 05:29 AM
In other news, it seems the numbered edition of The Road has been upgraded from full European cloth with a leather foil-stamped spine label to a quarter leather binding with Japenese cloth on the boards.

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/TheRoadLimitedQuarter.jpg

Br!an
09-28-2019, 05:31 AM
"PRIVATE PRE-ORDER
PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THIS EMAIL OR ITS CONTENTS WITH ANYONE"

Munnecom
09-28-2019, 05:34 AM
Makes you wonder why that person would even buy such a pricey book, seeing as how they can't even read.

jeffingoff
09-28-2019, 05:37 AM
I know it’s a pithy, whiny thing to say but this really is why we can’t have nice things. People will go out of their way to knock it down.

WeDealInLead
09-28-2019, 05:41 AM
What the Suntup Cool Kids Table members don't seem to get is that bragging about being able to buy a super secret book before it's officially announced is a bad look.

Flame away all you want and I'll stand by my opinion. If Paul isn't talking about the book, maybe you shouldn't either. I noticed I wasn't the only who said this.

Whoever said that Cool Kids doing this generates hype...are you sure pal?

jeffingoff
09-28-2019, 05:43 AM
What the Suntup Cool Kids Table members don't seem to get is that bragging about being able to buy a super secret book before it's officially announced is a bad look.

Flame away all you want and I'll stand by my opinion. If Paul isn't talking about the book, maybe you shouldn't either. I noticed I wasn't the only who said this.

I’ll have to admit that’s a great point as well.

WeDealInLead
09-28-2019, 05:45 AM
Thank you for not taking it the wrong way.

zelig
09-28-2019, 05:49 AM
It’s a blatant and egregious breach of trust. I’m amazed at the fractured logic of this person.

jeffingoff
09-28-2019, 05:50 AM

Not at all. I had to scroll back up and see what I wrote. It’s a long thread but I can see how it looks like people are giggling from the VIP Lounge and how that might not help with the building excitement part of the pre-order phase.

The guessing about the title is fun. But the other chatter might not be.

Munnecom
09-28-2019, 06:09 AM

That was me. In hindsight, I'll admit that I was wrong, since the whole thing has turned a bit sour now. I for one will be keeping quiet next time.

This was never an issue when the private pre-order phase began after the initial announcement, but I also see the appeal of revealing a book and letting people buy it immediately.

NiceM
09-28-2019, 08:44 AM

Not at all. I had to scroll back up and see what I wrote. It’s a long thread but I can see how it looks like people are giggling from the VIP Lounge and how that might not help with the building excitement part of the pre-order phase.

The guessing about the title is fun. But the other chatter might not be.

As I posted earlier I feel only Paul should give hints and spoilers. We managed perfect silence for Brother, and we should have managed that on this forum at least for IAL as well. We have smart cookies all around here and the folio remark was too close for comfort imo.

That blatant disrespectful idiot on LT should be identified and publically shamed. I wouldnt even send him the book if I were Paul and refund his purchase. What an a**hole.

Brian861
09-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Wow! Logged on and expected to see lots of excitement about the announcement. I guess the whole LT thing threw a wet blanket on that.

Congrats, Paul on what I'm sure is to be another sellout. Already looking forward to the next one!

NiceM
09-28-2019, 08:59 AM
Wow! Logged on and expected to see lots of excitement about the announcement. I guess the whole LT thing threw a wet blanket on that.

Congrats, Paul on what I'm sure is to be another sellout. Already looking forward to the next one!

I almost forgot indeed. Congrats Paul! I am super excited over this spectaculair release! My wife as well because she makes me match my book purchases in shoes for her collection... little did I know shoes could be expensive as well...

Ben Mears
09-28-2019, 09:01 AM
That blatant disrespectful idiot on LT should be identified and publically shamed. I wouldnt even send him the book if I were Paul and refund his purchase. What an a**hole.

Really?

webstar1000
09-28-2019, 09:02 AM

Really?

What is LT?

jeffingoff
09-28-2019, 09:03 AM
I’m sure this will be gone soon. I can’t wait to have it on my shelf. Congrats on another grand slam, Paul.

webstar1000
09-28-2019, 09:04 AM
I’m sure this will be gone soon. I can’t wait to have it on my shelf. Congrats on another grand slam, Paul.

It sold out?

jeffingoff
09-28-2019, 09:05 AM

It sold out?

I don’t think so. I was referring to the book selected. It was a fantastic choice and it looks beautiful. Love the artwork.

WeDealInLead
09-28-2019, 09:08 AM
I’m a happy camper that we are getting another AGE :)

+1. Now I have two Suntup books on order through Camelot.

firemonkey66
09-28-2019, 09:16 AM
"We were asked not to share the password but nothing was mentioned of the images. In fact sharing images only helps Suntup, so I certainly don't see anything unethical or wrong with it."

:Ball Kick:

It’s a blatant and egregious breach of trust. I’m amazed at the fractured logic of this person.

I think this is an example of the worst type of person. They give in to temptation and spoil the secret, but also come up with a justification for that action so they can believe they haven't done anything wrong, and at the same time be offended when other people get mad at them. So they can have their cake, eat it too, and be a big douche about it.

NiceM
09-28-2019, 09:23 AM

Really?

Yes, such a breach of trust should have consequences imo. The public shaming could be done without, that was emotion getting the better of me for which I apologize. I'd rather focus on the positive now, which is another beautiful book to look forward to.

Garrell
09-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Just broke down and ordered the numbered, ordered the AGE a few days ago

Black Miau
09-28-2019, 09:37 AM
Evil is not paid with evil. That boy really did something very bad, I wouldn't do it. But I want to think that he is sorry for that bad decision.
Now, today is a great day. We have with us a new publication of Paul and the return of AGE editions. I'm excited!

zelig
09-28-2019, 09:55 AM
Yes all well stated, thank you... I've expressed my displeasure with it. Was not cool to say the least, but our energies should be focused on better things! Some good lessons were learned. No more private pre-orders. Those who want to match in future will have to scramble on opening day to get their number.

Kidding

Black Miau
09-28-2019, 10:02 AM
I must or should not read the spoiler. Welcome to the Jungle! :scared:

Hunchback Jack
09-28-2019, 10:18 AM

I agree. I was one of the guilty. I did wait until others had posted first, but that doesn’t excuse it.

I’ll keep mum in future.

HBJ

George at C-Springs
09-28-2019, 10:19 AM
What is LT?

Kris, it's LibraryThing.com.

M_O_O_N
09-28-2019, 10:31 AM
...I wouldnt even send him the book if I were Paul and refund his purchase. What an a**hole.

Paul can tell him it must have mistakenly been sent to the wrong address. (Paul, PM me for my address.)

firemonkey66
09-28-2019, 10:44 AM
Yes all well stated, thank you... I've expressed my displeasure with it. Was not cool to say the least, but our energies should be focused on better things! Some good lessons were learned. No more private pre-orders. Those who want to match in future will have to scramble on opening day to get their number.

Kidding

Never have I wanted a spoiler more:)

Munnecom
09-28-2019, 11:15 AM
I love that image of Neville with the dog.

One thing I've been meaning to ask since I got the pre-order mail: why no introduction for this one? I would think that with a sixty-five-year-old genre-defining classic, there are plenty of people with plenty to say about it.

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Here's my introduction - "Read this book - DAMMIT!"

RC65
09-28-2019, 11:44 AM

One thing I've been meaning to ask since I got the pre-order mail: why no introduction for this one? I would think that with a sixty-five-year-old genre-defining classic, there are plenty of people with plenty to say about it.

I was actually somewhat pleased to see that.

To me, I AM LEGEND is a novel that decades after its publication has earned its legacy as a genre-defining work, its spot in the pantheon of the most important works the genre has to offer. To my mind, an introduction inherently comes with declarative baggage, that it's there because the work has be justified, its importance explained to those either not familiar with it or who do not see it as valued as the person penning the introduction. I AM LEGEND has that rarified legacy that doesn't require justification or explanation; it can stand alone, on its own, as the influential work it has always been.

I mean, I get it, I do...I enjoy introductions, too, and they're often entertaining and occasionally informative. But in this case, I AM LEGEND is such a definitive classic that, for me, it's nice to see it just stand on its own merit as a book of tremendous influence and import, as a work of fictional genre art, without the distraction of an introduction and the inclusion of another name on a ToC page, one who had no part in the creation of Matheson's work back in '54. Just I AM LEGEND, just Matheson: clean, concise, and respectful of its legacy.

zelig
09-28-2019, 11:53 AM

Good question. I did approach a couple authors for the intro but they were unavailable at the time. After some discussion with RC Matheson, we both felt that the book didn’t need an introduction and he preferred we go without, so we did. The story stands on its own.

Here's my introduction - "Read this book - DAMMIT!"

It’s a bit late, but had I received this sooner I would have lobbied for it.

zelig
09-28-2019, 11:58 AM

To me, I AM LEGEND is a novel that decades after its publication has earned its legacy as a genre-defining work, its spot in the pantheon of the most important works the genre has to offer. To my mind, an introduction inherently comes with declarative baggage, that it's there because the work has be justified, its importance explained to those either not familiar with it or who do not see it as valued as the person penning the introduction. I AM LEGEND has that rarified legacy that doesn't require justification or explanation; it can stand alone, on its own, as the influential work it has always been.

I mean, I get it, I do...I enjoy introductions, too, and they're often entertaining and occasionally informative. But in this case, I AM LEGEND is such a definitive classic that, for me, it's nice to see it just stand on its own merit as a book of tremendous influence and import, as a work of fictional genre art, without the distraction of an introduction and the inclusion of another name on a ToC page, one who had no part in the creation of Matheson's work back in '54. Just I AM LEGEND, just Matheson: clean, concise, and respectful of its legacy.

I was still typing up my response so didn’t see this, but YES. Exactly. Very well stated, and this was the sentiment we had while arriving at the decision for no intro.

RC65
09-28-2019, 12:01 PM
I was still typing up my response so didn’t see this, but YES. Exactly. Very well stated, and this was the sentiment we had while arriving at the decision for no intro.

Paul, Richard Christian Matheson, and RC65: Great minds think alike. :)

zelig
09-28-2019, 12:03 PM
There you go.

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Darn it! I went to the sight to order half a dozen lettered editions, but they were sold out!

Go figure!

zelig
09-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Darn it! I went to the sight to order half a dozen lettered editions, but they were sold out!

Go figure!

Hate it when that happens.

So there were 2 copies available when it went live. Both were gone by 9:02am.

MikeDuke
09-28-2019, 12:19 PM
It looks great Paul. I am excited to add this to my collection. The numbered juat looks magnificent. As do the other versions. I am sure people know already but I am always impressed when the lettered sells out so quickly. They all look great Paul. Congrats on another fine book.

Munnecom
09-28-2019, 12:26 PM

Wow, that was a very eloquent response, RC65, thank you.

However, can the same not be said about Rosemary's Baby and The Haunting of Hill House? Both are also certified genre classics, yet they each did get an introduction.

MikeDuke
09-28-2019, 12:27 PM
Just broke down and ordered the numbered, ordered the AGE a few days ago
Way to go. Glad you got one.
And let me just add that I knew of the story only from the movie. I had no idea that it was what would be called genre defining. Then this had to be in the collection.

Black Miau
09-28-2019, 12:31 PM
Do not distort what Paul said. He was looking for someone to make an introduction, but they were unavailable at the time.

RC65
09-28-2019, 12:41 PM

Wow, that was a very eloquent response, RC65, thank you.

However, can the same not be said about Rosemary's Baby and The Haunting of Hill House? Both are also certified genre classics, yet they each did get an introduction.

Probably, though I readily admit I have a soft spot for I AM LEGEND, so don't personally feel as strong r.e. the other two that, you're right, do have a similar legacy.

I would say, however (and as objectively as I can be), I do think I AM LEGEND has a more enduring, timeless legacy than the other two, a larger footprint in the genre and literature/fiction in general. Both of the other books are important, respected, valued works, and they're both novels I love, but to my mind they seem more dated in their influence and pop-culture import...Jackson's work's in the '60s, Levin's in the '70s. The recent miniseries certainly brought Jackson's book back to the fore, but short of that, both it and Levin's novel (and the film of it) are touchstones of their respective decades, but Matheson's book has seen continual rebirths in interest (and films and graphic novels, etc. etc.) to make it fresh and relevant to each new decade. If a book has largely been out of the popular public consciousness, an introduction would indeed be a nice way to welcome it back when appearing in a new deluxe edition...but if it's been nearly omnipresent in that popular public consciousness since its publication, an introduction is much less warranted and, to my mind, less welcome.

MikeDuke
09-28-2019, 12:44 PM
And I will do this sparingly so I don't get into trouble but there are 60 S\L books left. And 154 of Brother.

Black Miau
09-28-2019, 12:51 PM
It is a point of view or perhaps a personal taste, but always an introduction is something important for me. I enjoy it a lot, because maybe I can share the emotions and feelings that the introducer writes in those lines. I don't see it as an introduction to the book, I see it as an introduction to how the book influences literature, life or self-existence.

Munnecom
09-28-2019, 12:57 PM
Probably, though I readily admit I have a soft spot for I AM LEGEND, so don't personally feel as strong r.e. the other two that, you're right, do have a similar legacy.

I would say, however (and as objectively as I can be), I do think I AM LEGEND has a more enduring, timeless legacy than the other two, a larger footprint in the genre and literature/fiction in general. Both of the other books are important, respected, valued works, and they're both novels I love, but to my mind they seem more dated in their influence and pop-culture import...Jackson's work's in the '60s, Levin's in the '70s. The recent miniseries certainly brought Jackson's book back to the fore, but short of that, both it and Levin's novel (and the film of it) are touchstones of their respective decades, but Matheson's book has seen continual rebirths in interest (and films and graphic novels, etc. etc.) to make it fresh and relevant to each new decade. If a book has largely been out of the popular public consciousness, an introduction would indeed be a nice way to welcome it back when appearing in a new deluxe edition...but if it's been nearly omnipresent in that popular public consciousness since its publication, an introduction is much less warranted and, to my mind, less welcome.

Again, very well said. You should write Danse Macabre II...

All this reminds me of the afterword R.C. Matheson wrote for the Gaunlet Press edition of Richard Matheson's Hell House. It is written like a letter to the publisher, kindly thanking him for the opportunity but ultimately declining because he believes nothing he could write would do the book justice.

zelig
09-28-2019, 12:58 PM
The next one doesn't have an intro either now that I think about it. And talk about something completely different... well, you'll see.

Off the top of my head, pretty much every other book planned has an introduction. One by the great-grandson of the author, and another by the son of the author. There's actually some interesting intro authors coming up.

Edit: Oh, and of course there is one by the author himself.

Garrell
09-28-2019, 01:35 PM
I remember watching The Omega Man as a kid and loving it!!!!

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-28-2019, 01:36 PM
I did too, although Matheson was displeased with all the filmed (3 I think) versions of the novel.

RC65
09-28-2019, 01:47 PM
The next one doesn't have an intro either now that I think about it. And talk about something completely different... well, you'll see.

Off the top of my head, pretty much every other book planned has an introduction. One by the great-grandson of the author, and another by the son of the author. There's actually some interesting intro authors coming up.

Edit: Oh, and of course there is one by the author himself.

See, and I think intros by the authors themselves or their family/offspring if they're deceased are great to include because they either, respectively: A). give insight to what the author was thinking while creating the novel, the inspiration and process of the writing of the book, or, B). give insight into the familial environment of the author from a family member's perspective, so as to give a sense of the man/woman behind the work. I find that kind of behind-the-curtain stuff fascinating and those kind of introductions very welcome. It's the strangers' critical assessments of legendary books that, as they saying goes, need no introductions, that I can well do without...so since Matheson is unfortunately no longer around to provide insight and R. C. Matheson has demurred, I again was glad to see I AM LEGEND get the hands-off treatment.

RC65
09-28-2019, 01:50 PM
I did too, although Matheson was displeased with all the filmed (3 I think) versions of the novel.

...though he did think that the Vincent Price version, The Last Man on Earth, was the best of the bunch. While I do think Price was miscast as the "everyman" of Matheson's novel, I do agree with him that the tone, the feel, of the film captured the tone, the feel, of Matheson's book far better than the other two.

That said, The Omega Man has always been a favorite movie of mine...I caught that thing when I was very young and I've probably seen in more than a dozen times since. No, it's not Matheson's novel on celluloid, but it's a helluva fun flick and Heston's great in the role.

The Will Smith version...well, I thought it was okay and didn't quite get all the criticism that seemed to fall upon it at time. It wasn't great, but I thought it was fairly entertaining.

Br!an
09-28-2019, 03:18 PM
It is a point of view or perhaps a personal taste, but always an introduction is something important for me. I enjoy it a lot, because maybe I can share the emotions and feelings that the introducer writes in those lines. I don't see it as an introduction to the book, I see it as an introduction to how the book influences literature, life or self-existence.

That is very true if the introduction is done well by a relevant person without giving away spoilers.

I can also understand the publishing decision to go ahead without an introduction.

peripheral
09-28-2019, 03:22 PM

That is very true if the introduction is done well by a relevant person without giving away spoilers.

I can also understand the publishing decision to go ahead without an introduction.

I could have killed Peter Straub for giving away tons of spoilers in Brian Evenson’s “Last Days”.

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-28-2019, 04:03 PM
I always read introductions and forwards last.

Black Miau
09-28-2019, 04:34 PM

Totally agree with you!

Brian861
09-28-2019, 09:41 PM
And I will do this sparingly so I don't get into trouble but there are 60 S\L books left. And 154 of Brother.

Why would you get into trouble?

OldCrow88
09-29-2019, 05:00 AM
I think this edition should be signed by pawprint of the German Shepherd who starred in the Will Smith movie adaptation.

MikeDuke
09-29-2019, 07:58 AM

With me, who knows. But I will just do it a little bit.

Br!an
09-29-2019, 08:32 AM

I like your reports. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brian861
09-29-2019, 08:37 AM
No one cares but me, but I'm glad Horns still holds the record :)

Munnecom
09-29-2019, 08:38 AM
For what, fastest to sell out?

webstar1000
09-29-2019, 08:42 AM

I with Bri... I do too.

jeffingoff
09-29-2019, 08:43 AM

Yeah. And I still find it remarkable considering the chatter at the time was sweating how new the book was and how there was already a limited edition of it.

Lesson is: never sweat the sweaty chatter. Buy what speaks to you.

By far the most amazing book in my collection.

jeffingoff
09-29-2019, 08:44 AM

I with Bri... I do too.

Me three.

Munnecom
09-29-2019, 09:29 AM

Yeah. And I still find it remarkable considering the chatter at the time was sweating how new the book was and how there was already a limited edition of it.

Lesson is: never sweat the sweaty chatter. Buy what speaks to you.

By far the most amazing book in my collection.

There's always a bigger fish and room for a fancier edition.

For me, it's a tie between Suntup's Horns and Misery and Amaranthine Books' Dracula (some call it tacky, I love it). I have one on the way that might just take the top spot, though. I'll have to see it in person first, but my expectations are very high.

MikeDuke
09-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Thanks Guy's. I just want to keep people up to date in case they are on the fence, or by some chance someone stops in here for the first time. I just want to let anyone new that there are books available.
I think Paul doesn't care about how fast a book sells out. Now, when people come to his site they can put on a happy face because there are two books available. Granted, at different price points but
it's still good a thing.

lotuz
09-29-2019, 02:19 PM
For me, it's a tie between Suntup's Horns and Misery and Amaranthine Books' Dracula (some call it tacky, I love it). I have one on the way that might just take the top spot, though. I'll have to see it in person first, but my expectations are very high.

Oooooooooooooo... do share when you get it! Something that meets or exceeds those books must be very nice indeed :clap:

becca69
09-30-2019, 05:49 AM
I can't leave town for 5 minutes and this place gets crazy! :orely:

stroppygoblin
09-30-2019, 07:45 AM

You left town? So who's were those shoes behind the curtain....?

Roseannebarr
09-30-2019, 07:56 AM

Ditto! However, I wish I would of read the forward to Dr. Sleep first. I avoided all spoilers reviews etc... I wanted the shining 2 so bad and my Expectations were set way too high. I plan on re-reading again after I let it sit for awhile.

webstar1000
09-30-2019, 07:59 AM

Ditto! However, I wish I would of read the forward to Dr. Sleep first. I avoided all spoilers reviews etc... I wanted the shining 2 so bad and my Expectations were set way too high. I plan on re-reading again after I let it sit for awhile.

Same here. I thought I was going to love the book and it sits on the very bottom of SK's works for me. I hated it and it is the only book of his that I struggled to finish...

jeffingoff
09-30-2019, 08:03 AM

Same here. I thought I was going to love the book and it sits on the very bottom of SK's works for me. I hated it and it is the only book of his that I struggled to finish...

I didn't have quite the same reaction. But I've told people that the book would have been FAR BETTER if it had no connection whatsoever to The Shining. As a sequel or "follow-up," it fails.

Now that I've made my comment, I'll point out that the thread is getting derailed.

MikeDuke
09-30-2019, 08:18 AM
It's next week for RB right? I hope that's right. The book looks so nice. I can't believe that we have two books for next year already and we are just getting into Oct. I wonder how many announcements and releases will have in 2020. Hoping for a really good year.

Brian861
09-30-2019, 08:20 AM

Yea, Becca! You left Paul unsupervised! He was giving stuff away, doing live feeds on FB, tossing our books around, claiming to be a "trained professional". He even held up a page block and said, "I got y'all's next book right here, bitches!" It got out of control quick.

webstar1000
09-30-2019, 08:23 AM
It's next week for RB right? I hope that's right. The book looks so nice. I can't believe that we have two books for next year already and we are just getting into Oct. I wonder how many announcements and releases will have in 2020. Hoping for a really good year.

With 3 FULL months left of 2019? I am betting another release THIS year is to come.

jeffingoff
09-30-2019, 08:26 AM

Yea, Becca! You left Paul unsupervised! He was giving stuff away, doing live feeds on FB, tossing our books around, claiming to be a "trained professional". He even held up a page block and said, "I got y'all's next book right here, bitches!" It got out of control quick.

That's kinda EXACTLY what happened.

MikeDuke
09-30-2019, 08:37 AM

With 3 FULL months left of 2019? I am betting another release THIS year is to come.
You mean another announcement right? Since Brother and IAL are scheduled for a next year release date.

webstar1000
09-30-2019, 08:49 AM

You mean another announcement right? Since Brother and IAL are scheduled for a next year release date.

yes a new book announcement seems likely if you ask me....

MikeDuke
09-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Yea, I guess I can see that happening Kris. As you said, there are three more months in the year and another announcement for next year would really set the year up as a big one.

becca69
09-30-2019, 11:29 AM

You left town? So who's were those shoes behind the curtain....?

Some Big Ones ;)

becca69
09-30-2019, 11:32 AM

I told him to stop that insanity!

He did actually go to "book throwing" school! Top honors. :P

Brian861
09-30-2019, 12:02 PM
He did actually go to "book throwing" school! Top honors. :P

:rofl:

NiceM
09-30-2019, 12:27 PM

The heart says let 'em come! The wallet says omg what if he releases a book every month! The heart says "must .. have .. my .. letter"

MikeDuke
09-30-2019, 12:46 PM

The heart says let 'em come! The wallet says omg what if he releases a book every month! The heart says "must .. have .. my .. letter"
I am with you on the numbered side. But I don't think Paul would release a book every month. Or would he :scared:.

zelig
09-30-2019, 01:08 PM

I am with you on the numbered side. But I don't think Paul would release a book every month. Or would he :scared:.

There will be more this year, but over 2020 there are no plans to release one every month. More frequently than 2019, but not that frequent. So see, it ain't that bad!

NiceM
09-30-2019, 01:15 PM

There will be more this year, but over 2020 there are no plans to release one every month. More frequently than 2019, but not that frequent. So see, it ain't that bad!

The wallet gets a respite. The heart’s content. Bless you Paul

MikeDuke
09-30-2019, 02:40 PM
Paul, when you say "this year", you mean 2019 right? Still looking forward to 2020.

zelig
09-30-2019, 09:03 PM
Paul, when you say "this year", you mean 2019 right? Still looking forward to 2020.

Yes, that’s right Mike. 2019. What’s left of it anyway.

zelig
10-01-2019, 02:27 PM
After reading over a good discussion at the CD Forum (https://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?3415-I-Am-Legend-Suntup-Press), it inspired me to write this. I felt it should be posted here as well. :-)

Part I

If I think back to the spark of inspiration or the overarching vision of the press at its infancy, it was (and still is) about the desire to produce a book in such a way, so as to stand alongside some of the finest throughout the history of it all. I only travel the path, head bowed in reverence to the giants who came before, and humbly take my crack at it. Whether that goal is being achieved or not may be up for debate, but at the heart of it, is the desire. The essence of something that is not of modern times, but rather quite ancient.

I consider myself an amateur. But I am one armed with the desire to produce a book. If I were to ask myself, what do I appreciate more. Paper or signature. Printing process or signature. Craft or signature. Tactility or signature. Scent or signature. History or signature. Art or signature. Binding design and execution or signature. Legacy or signature and so on...my answer would always be with the former; in every case.

What I do is about the book. The book is the book is the book. The signature is not the book. This extends not only to the unique elements of production and materials, but also to the written word. It is driven by that. The story. The author. The worlds that exist only in our minds, the escape, the reach of it. The impact on popular culture, or the literary landscape. The great minds, the thinkers and dreamers, and yes in the words of Mr. Jobs, the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels. On the physical plane, that is who I serve. These people, and their words.

And how do I do that? By making the best book I know how, and thereby honoring them in this way. And I tell you, signature has little to do with any of that. Nor does it have much at all to do with cost of production. What does is the materials, the paper, the printing, the binding, and so on. When I make a book, I am saying to the author, living or not; you are a genius. You moved me and so many others. And for that, I offer this.

Part II

Because of my lifelong love for this genre, this popular and fan culture, most of the books I make, and will continue to make fall within that space. And it is a space not entirely accustomed to the type of book I feel compelled to create. This is not uncharted territory, but I do feel that it is not often travelled.

Many of the questions that come up are entirely valid. I honor them and respect them. The discussions that ensue are a good thing. A great thing. And then there are the opinions deficient in facts which would otherwise give them heft. We are presented with a chasm. We have become accustomed to equate price with signature for so long. We have become used to a certain price point, a level of quality. A look. A feel. I respect that. But with me producing what I am, at times it may require a paradigm shift.

For some, it is jarring--an opportunity to criticize; and for others it is an entirely welcome and joyous event. And still for others, it is simply not their cup of tea and that is absolutely fine. You are not less than or more than for your pull toward or away from. You simply are, and should be anchored in that. As am I. Who I seek are lovers of the type of book I produce. Or those who perhaps did not put too much thought into it, but now do.

I do not seek unending praise, but that which has come my way has been genuine and heartfelt, and for this I am most grateful. I am grateful to everyone who have supported the press, both as a customer or simply by cheering me on. I did not expect most of this, nor the level of enthusiasm for the books we make. It inspires me. It drives me to continue on. And if I mess up, don't be afraid to tell me. Constructively. Respectfully. Ask rather than judge. Comment with the armor of fact instead of the inefficiency of assumption. Or just speak your mind! I get a kick out of that too.

Is there longevity in this? In some ways, that's irrelevant. The relevancy lies in the creating. And if there are people who rise to it, then it is meant to be that way. I seek to live an authentic life. We so often, and for so long, do not. And there is authenticity on this path and in the product of these immense efforts. And that is all I can ask for.

Part III

So as not to entirely diminish the signature as an integral part of the book, having been a collector and a fan, I understand the value and importance of it to many of us. It may not drive me, but I do not ignore it. Am I after a McCarthy signature? You bet I am!

If through all of this, I do something to make you smile. To take you away from the pain points, to excite and animate. To inspire. To change your state from this to that, to give you pause. To pump the blood. To lift you off the ground. To make you feel alive. To champion the idea of following your dreams, no matter how impossible they may seem. Then I have done my job, and that alone is worth dedicating my life to.

jeffingoff
10-01-2019, 02:38 PM
After reading over a good discussion at the CD Forum (https://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?3415-I-Am-Legend-Suntup-Press), it inspired me to write this. I felt it should be posted here as well. :-)

Part I

If I think back to the spark of inspiration or the overarching vision of the press at its infancy, it was (and still is) about the desire to produce a book in such a way, so as to stand alongside some of the finest throughout the history of it all. I only travel the path, head bowed in reverence to the giants who came before, and humbly take my crack at it. Whether that goal is being achieved or not may be up for debate, but at the heart of it, is the desire. The essence of something that is not of modern times, but rather quite ancient.

I consider myself an amateur. But I am one armed with the desire to produce a book. If I were to ask myself, what do I appreciate more. Paper or signature. Printing process or signature. Craft or signature. Tactility or signature. Scent or signature. History or signature. Art or signature. Binding design and execution or signature. Legacy or signature and so on...my answer would always be with the former; in every case.

What I do is about the book. The book is the book is the book. The signature is not the book. This extends not only to the unique elements of production and materials, but also to the written word. It is driven by that. The story. The author. The worlds that exist only in our minds, the escape, the reach of it. The impact on popular culture, or the literary landscape. The great minds, the thinkers and dreamers, and yes in the words of Mr. Jobs, the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels. On the physical plane, that is who I serve. These people, and their words.

And how do I do that? By making the best book I know how, and thereby honoring them in this way. And I tell you, signature has little to do with any of that. Nor does it have much at all to do with cost of production. What does is the materials, the paper, the printing, the binding, and so on. When I make a book, I am saying to the author, living or not; you are a genius. You moved me and so many others. And for that, I offer this.

Part II

Because of my lifelong love for this genre, this popular and fan culture, most of the books I make, and will continue to make fall within that space. And it is a space not entirely accustomed to the type of book I feel compelled to create. This is not uncharted territory, but I do feel that it is not often travelled.

Many of the questions that come up are entirely valid. I honor them and respect them. The discussions that ensue are a good thing. A great thing. And then there are the opinions deficient in facts which would otherwise give them heft. We are presented with a chasm. We have become accustomed to equate price with signature for so long. We have become used to a certain price point, a level of quality. A look. A feel. I respect that. But with me producing what I am, at times it may require a paradigm shift.

For some, it is jarring--an opportunity to criticize; and for others it is an entirely welcome and joyous event. And still for others, it is simply not their cup of tea and that is absolutely fine. You are not less than or more than for your pull toward or away from. You simply are, and should be anchored in that. As am I. Who I seek are lovers of the type of book I produce. Or those who perhaps did not put too much thought into it, but now do.

I do not seek unending praise, but that which has come my way has been genuine and heartfelt, and for this I am most grateful. I am grateful to everyone who have supported the press, both as a customer or simply by cheering me on. I did not expect most of this, nor the level of enthusiasm for the books we make. It inspires me. It drives me to continue on. And if I mess up, don't be afraid to tell me. Constructively. Respectfully. Ask rather than judge. Comment with the armor of fact instead of the inefficiency of assumption. Or just speak your mind! I get a kick out of that too.

Is there longevity in this? In some ways, that's irrelevant. The relevancy lies in the creating. And if there are people who rise to it, then it is meant to be that way. I seek to live an authentic life. We so often, and for so long, do not. And there is authenticity on this path and in the product of these immense efforts. And that is all I can ask for.

Part III

So as not to entirely diminish the signature as an integral part of the book, having been a collector and a fan, I understand the value and importance of it to many of us. It may not drive me, but I do not ignore it. Am I after a McCarthy signature? You bet I am!

If through all of this, I do something to make you smile. To take you away from the pain points, to excite and animate. To inspire. To change your state from this to that, to give you pause. To pump the blood. To lift you off the ground. To make you feel alive. To champion the idea of following your dreams, no matter how impossible they may seem. Then I have done my job, and that alone is worth dedicating my life to.

Shit. Now I got to re-read what I wrote over there.

Wonderful statement, beautifully put, Paul.

sullichin
10-01-2019, 02:45 PM
I've never read IAL (and only collect King) but ordered the AGE. My gift ed Misery is one of my most favorite books I own (one day I'll own the numbered one...) Really looking forward to it!

Ben Mears
10-01-2019, 03:22 PM

Part I

Part II

Part III

All that you said is clearly reflected in the caliber and character of the books you have published. You are producing that which you would personally want to purchase and that is why they are so well thought out and developed. You are passionate about what you are doing and the by product has been an impressive and successful launch into a very challenging business.

Br!an
10-01-2019, 03:28 PM
:clap:

MikeDuke
10-01-2019, 04:14 PM
Paul, that was a great statement by you. I have come to enjoy you books and I look forward to each reveal. I used to be all about the sig, it has to be signed, it's no good if it's not signed by the author. But being a Suntup collector has changed that in me. Seeing the obvious work, research and care that you and your group do is truely inspiring. I want, no that's not the right phrase, I AM going to get every Suntup book that I can. And you want to know why? Because of the care that is put into the book. Because of the high quality of the books. Because you are able to incorporate aspects of the story into the book. All of those elements make your books special, whether or not they have an authors sig or not. Like I have told you before, I am so glad that I took a chance on HHH. That statement that you wrote just shows your character which is sky high in my book.

M_O_O_N
10-01-2019, 04:14 PM

Part I

Part II

Part III

Well said, sir. Well said.

Munnecom
10-02-2019, 01:52 AM
When I make a book, I am saying to the author, living or not; you are a genius. You moved me and so many others. And for that, I offer this.

That's a beautiful sentiment.

So is this.

racerx45
10-02-2019, 07:53 AM
So I brought my Horns S/L with me to Joe's event last night. I thought it would be cool to have a photo with Joe and the book.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191002/1b9723fed8e47ec18acec88d992873e4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MikeDuke
10-02-2019, 07:58 AM
That looks very cool. And I love the shirt Joe is wearing. That means he HAS to be a great guy. It's a Great pic. You look happy for sure.

jeffingoff
10-02-2019, 07:58 AM
So I brought my Horns S/L with me to Joe's event last night. I thought it would be cool to have a photo with Joe and the book.

What a great opportunity! What was Joe's reaction when you busted that beauty out?

jeffingoff
10-02-2019, 07:59 AM
Also, I would be like "Hey Joe, you wash that hand?"

Black Miau
10-02-2019, 08:21 AM
It's a great picture! That looks really fun, I also want a picture with Joe!

kingfan2323
10-02-2019, 08:35 AM
One of the coolest fan pics I have seen! Congrats, Man!

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF

kingfan2323
10-02-2019, 08:39 AM
Sure in theee HELL was not going to mention this last night as the room eloquently spoke of the art of fine book making, paper, and binding but. . . Brother is $1.99 on Amazon Kindle right now.

Oh. . . Bad news: it will not be signed by the author.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF

vincent
10-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Very cool, congrats. Looks like a fun event.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-02-2019, 08:55 AM
That looks cool PLUS!

amd013
10-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Geeze Paul, after everything I have bought from you I am just "*|FULLNAME|*" to you? I much prefer the informal "hey you".

Just busting your chops! Glad to hear RB is shipping soon.

In case you are confused, the address confirmation email I got is addressed "Dear *|FULLNAME|*", I assume everyone else is too.

jeffingoff
10-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Geeze Paul, after everything I have bought from you I am just "*|FULLNAME|*" to you? I much prefer the informal "hey you".

Just busting your chops! Glad to hear RB is shipping soon.

In case you are confused, the address confirmation email I got is addressed "Dear *|FULLNAME|*", I assume everyone else is too.

Yeah, me too. Are we related. Though I don't care what Paul calls me (even though I made my name easy for him!) as long as he keeps creating and shipping those books.

MikeDuke
10-02-2019, 09:04 AM
I'm a FULLNAME as well. I am sensing a pattern here. And yes, I agree Jeff, Paul can call me what he likes. As long as he keeps making books.

Black Miau
10-02-2019, 09:06 AM
I received the email with my full name.

It just said "*|FULLNAME|*" .
And still, I am happy.

zelig
10-02-2019, 09:15 AM
Yes, very annoying. That is a merge tag that is supposed to merge in your name. Some kind of glitch with Mailchimp. Sorry about that!

St. Troy
10-02-2019, 09:16 AM

If I could give readers one piece of advice, this would be it.

racerx45
10-02-2019, 09:17 AM

What a great opportunity! What was Joe's reaction when you busted that beauty out?

As always Joe takes the time to talk to you when he is signing books. He did not look over and notice it until I asked him what he thought of it. He said it’s a beautiful book and then reached out for it. He opened it and looked at few pages commented on the amazing art. Then asked if I wanted a doddle in it. As he opened to the signature page, I said I didn’t think so and he nodded his head and said, yeah it is too special of a book and we should leave it alone. Then he started looking through is again. I could tell he really likes it. Then when the photo happened, he said let’s worship the bible.

It was really amazing and I am so happy I had the opportunity.

The other really cool thing was as I was putting the book away, I hear someone in line say “That’s a Suntup Edition!” I didn’t look up in time to see who said but it put a smile on my face.

webstar1000
10-02-2019, 09:18 AM
Yes, very annoying. That is a merge tag that is supposed to merge in your name. Some kind of glitch with Mailchimp. Sorry about that!

Good ol Mail Merge. We use that alot to here at the print shop Paul! I feel your pain. haha

webstar1000
10-02-2019, 09:19 AM

As always Joe takes the time to talk to you when he is signing books. He did not look over and notice it until I asked him what he thought of it. He said it’s a beautiful book and then reached out for it. He opened it and looked at few pages commented on the amazing art. Then asked if I wanted a doddle in it. As he opened to the signature page, I said I didn’t think so and he nodded his head and said, yeah it is too special of a book and we should leave it alone. Then he started looking through is again. I could tell he really likes it. Then when the photo happened, he said let’s worship the bible.

The other really cool thing was as I was putting the book away, I hear someone in line say “That’s a Suntup Edition!” I didn’t look up in time to see who said but it put a smile on my face.

You ask him if he is going to do another one? I would like to see one of his other books givin the Suntup treatment!

Br!an
10-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Very cool!

I would have gone for the doodle!

St. Troy
10-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Last week, before I Am Legend had officially been announced, but when (I think) someone here had put the title in a spoiler thing, I decided to avoid that and just wait for the announcement (the process is fun), but I went over to LibraryThing.com and there immediately saw a thread whose title blared "Suntup I Am Legend" etc., thereby making any intent of mine to avoid it moot. Not a huge deal for me personally, but a bit of a letdown I guess. I thought of mentioning it here, but (as it was still officially a secret), I was concerned that I might inadvertently "Streisand effect" it, so I kept my mouth shut. It seems I wasn't the only one who came across this...but good to see that many are aware of LT; it has some cool things.

And of course, it appears to be another uniquely fine and well-done production for Suntup.

Munnecom
10-02-2019, 09:41 AM

I can’t believe you let him touch your snake in public. Have you no shame? :nope:

racerx45
10-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Very cool!

I would have gone for the doodle!

I was on the fence about the doddle and when Joe asked if I wanted it, I did take a second to think about it. As soon as I said I don’t think so he quickly agreed and we talked briefly about it. Now if Joe had said he really wanted to do something, I would have let him.

racerx45
10-02-2019, 09:48 AM
I can’t believe you let him touch your snake in public. Have you no shame? :nope:

It just happen so fast... :blush:

jeffingoff
10-02-2019, 09:49 AM

That's an awesome story. Thank you for sharing it.

I probably would have gone for the doodle. Though in reality I probably wouldn't have had the numbered Suntup with me because I'd bee too afraid of what could happen.

Hunchback Jack
10-02-2019, 09:54 AM

Part I

Part II

Part III

All I can say is, “Hear Hear!”.

Your intent has been pretty clear from the start, and is why I continue to buy Suntup editions, even of titles and authors I’ve yet to discover. Because the book itself - it’s quality and craftsmanship - is the main attraction for me.

HBJ

amd013
10-02-2019, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the story. Now I understand why he is looking up like that.

CyberGhostface
10-02-2019, 02:59 PM
Not directly related to Suntup but Brother is on sale for $1.99 for the Kindle if anyone wanted to read it before the limited edition comes out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P42WZBG/

Kongo
10-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Not directly related to Suntup but Brother is on sale for $1.99 for the Kindle if anyone wanted to read it before the limited edition comes out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P42WZBG/

Thank you for sharing this. Definitely took advantage of the sale

sharki69
10-02-2019, 07:55 PM
Respect!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191003/e3a2ae329aec5ce908167c31862a7cdb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191003/268811501cb85910c432a1f132e2dfb4.jpg

Merlin1958
10-02-2019, 09:43 PM
Respect!

Ahhhh, just a wanna be, Stephen King, my man!! Nothing to get wild about!!! LOL LOL

Seriously though, Big Time Respect, Amigo!!!!!!!

jeffingoff
10-03-2019, 03:13 AM
That’s fantastic guys! Love the Forum Foto. Or Phorum Photo?

jeffingoff
10-03-2019, 03:15 AM
Removed —double posting.

Munnecom
10-03-2019, 06:21 AM

Oooooooooooooo... do share when you get it! Something that meets or exceeds those books must be very nice indeed :clap:

Here it is, as promised: click (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?2260-Other-authors-you-collect&p=1167933&viewfull=1#post1167933).

racerx45
10-03-2019, 07:26 AM
Respect!

Very cool. Congratulations!

webstar1000
10-03-2019, 07:38 AM

Here it is, as promised: click (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?2260-Other-authors-you-collect&p=1167933&viewfull=1#post1167933).

VERY COOL MY MAN. RF has one of those:)

lotuz
10-03-2019, 09:47 AM

VERY COOL MY MAN. RF has one of those:)

SUPER COOL! Congrats! I remember seeing RF's a while back and thinking that it was quite the striking (and creepy) production. Infernal House and Bloodletting Press did some neat stuff for a short time there...

Beverly Marsh
10-04-2019, 06:32 AM
WOW. That's stunning! I have never seen one of those Lettered's before! Congrats!

Beverly Marsh
10-04-2019, 06:37 AM
Nice pics with Joe! Thanks for sharing.

I'm considering bringing my Horns AGE to be inscribed(since it's already signed!) and maybe doodled if he's in a generous mood :)

Good idea or bad? Honest thoughts!

jeffingoff
10-04-2019, 06:38 AM

I'm considering bringing my Horns AGE to be inscribed(since it's already signed!) and maybe doodled if he's in a generous mood :)

I think it’s a great idea. Though I’d be angling for the doodle instead of the inscription. Just my preference.

Beverly Marsh
10-04-2019, 06:44 AM

I think it’s a great idea. Though I’d be angling for the doodle instead of the inscription. Just my preference.

I agree Jeff. I'm hoping he'll just offer it up with zero prompting, lol

jeffingoff
10-04-2019, 06:57 AM

It sounds like he has with racerx45 and his Numbered edition.
**EDIT** So he might just do it with no prompting. Seems like it shouldn't be a big ask.

Hunchback Jack
10-04-2019, 07:01 AM

Wow, huge congratulations! I’ve heard about this legendary edition but seen very few pics. Thanks very much for posting them.

MikeDuke
10-04-2019, 07:02 AM
IAL seems to be moving fast all of a sudden. It was sitting at 50 for a few days, and in like 2-3 day we are now at 40 left.

webstar1000
10-04-2019, 07:02 AM
IAL seems to be moving fast all of a sudden. It was sitting at 50 for a few days, and it like 2-3 day we are now at 40 left.

Thanks Mike!

racerx45
10-04-2019, 08:00 AM

It sounds like he has with racerx45 and his Numbered edition.
**EDIT** So he might just do it with no prompting. Seems like it shouldn't be a big ask.

@Beverly – If I had planned ahead, I would have picked up a copy or two of the AGE and would have asked for a doddle. My guess is he’ll offer to do one or both and I would let him run with it.

@jeffingoff – You are correct he offered to add a doddle in my S/L.

Brian861
10-04-2019, 10:57 AM

That's awesome!

Respect!

Was great meeting you there, Shac! Thanks again to your daughter for helping me out with some sigs!

Brian861
10-04-2019, 11:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6v1o30XgQk&feature=em-uploademail