PDA

View Full Version : Suntup Editions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

Hunchback Jack
09-11-2019, 12:26 PM
Mine, too! It was a nice opportunity to really think about what I enjoy about limited editions. And yes, I also found the wish list challenging. The top spot was easy, but 2 and 3? How to choose?

I hope you find the feedback helpful, Paul.

Munnecom
09-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Would it be fun if everyone reveals what they asked for?

I'll go first:

1 - Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield
2 - The Macht trilogy - Paul Kearney
3 - Tales of the Ketty Jay - Chris Wooding

#2 is a trilogy and #3 is a tetralogy, but Paul said he wasn't afraid of taking on a series at some point, so I figured it was okay to include them. The Count of Monte Cristo, which I listed on last year's survey, didn't make the cut this time.

MikeDuke
09-11-2019, 12:34 PM
I could not think of anything. Well I could, but choose to leave those blank and answered everything else. Pretty cool way to get feedback from his customers. I trust Paul. I am sure whatever books he choose to do are ones that I have heard of and want in my collection. or are new to me and sound so awesome that I want them as well.

MikeDuke
09-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Would it be fun if everyone reveals what they asked for?

I'll go first:

1 - Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield
2 - The Macht trilogy - Paul Kearney
3 - Tales of the Ketty Jay - Chris Wooding

#2 is a trilogy and #3 is a tetralogy, but Paul said he wasn't afraid of taking on a series at some point, so I figured it was okay to include them. The Count of Monte Cristo, which I listed on last year's survey, didn't make the cut this time.

Being a Greek, I love your first choice.

Hunchback Jack
09-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Mine were:

Mystery by Peter Straub
Cari Mora by Thomas Harris
Foucault’s Pendulum by Umberto Eco

HBJ

Garrell
09-11-2019, 01:00 PM
Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe
Jaws
Cats Cradle

Randall Flagg
09-11-2019, 01:06 PM
Slob - Rex Miller
Darwin's Blade - Dan Simmons

Gone South - Robert McCammon

lotuz
09-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Loving everyone's picks so far! A mix of titles I know and would love to see get the Suntup treatment and new books that I'll have to check out. My top choice was the same as the survey way back when, but I slightly reshuffled my other two...

1. Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
2. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood (a duology as of yesterday!)
3. A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

As a statistician, I'm really interested in the results of the survey. In particular I'd like to see the % of people who answer who are TDT members, and how their preferences differ from the "general public". I'll also note that there's definitely going to be a response bias in this survey - I think that TDT members are going to be more likely to respond than the general public and will probably be over-represented as a result. Also there are lots of open-ended questions which are great for getting good feedback that you wouldn't get otherwise, but are generally hard to quantitatively assess.

RF: After the mention of needing chains for the Brother teaser I was convinced that your first choice was the next book, and have since been thinking more and more that I would really like to see this one make the canon. I love Centipede Press so so so much but this was one of their releases that I think can be improved upon.

Brian861
09-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Jaws
Cats Cradle

I like those first two but would go with The Chain as my third choice. I haven't read it yet but it looks very interesting.

Randall Flagg
09-11-2019, 01:43 PM
I wanted to nominate Song of Kali by Dan Simmons, but it was done in a lettered by Earthling Press (only ~14-16 copies) that was perfectly executed. Even Paul would have a challenge surpassing the production quality of that book.

Munnecom
09-11-2019, 01:45 PM
I opted for four books per year when asked. I wonder if Paul and his team wouldn't be working themselves into an early grave if they went for twelve or more, but my bank account and my marriage would not last long at that rate.

As much as I love Suntup, there are other books I want to collect and my daughters need shoes from time to time. Until that Nigerian prince finally pays up, I'm hoping for a somewhat modest release schedule.

Brian861
09-11-2019, 01:57 PM
I opted for four books per year when asked. I wonder if Paul and his team wouldn't be working themselves into an early grave if they went for twelve or more, but my bank account and my marriage would not last long at that rate.

As much as I love Suntup, there are other books I want to collect and my daughters need shoes from time to time. Until that Nigerian prince finally pays up, I'm hoping for a somewhat modest release schedule.

I really like that release pre-order/reschedule as well. I plan to be in hock with Paul as long as he's around but more than one payment plan at a time would be a stretch for this average bear.

lotuz
09-11-2019, 02:42 PM
I wanted to nominate Song of Kali by Dan Simmons, but it was done in a lettered by Earthling Press (only ~14-16 copies) that was perfectly executed. Even Paul would have a challenge surpassing the production quality of that book.

Agree. That's one of my grails. Will never forgive myself for passing on the Song of Kali/King Rat combo that Camelot had up in early 2018 back because I was worried about being able to resell King Rat :doh::cry:

I'm all for Suntup redoing other limited books that didn't reach their full potential but that one's up there with the Charnel House The Regulators and Last Call lettereds, and the Centipede Press roman numeral 'Salem's Lot as being just about un-improvable (which is why they are all on my grail list).

jeffingoff
09-11-2019, 03:30 PM
I picked
Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe
Fight Club by Palahniuk
And Inspection by Josh Malerman (cue the eye roll, I’m sure)

I also opted for four books a year but my greatest preference is for however many keep Suntup rolling strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeDuke
09-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Paul, I want to amend my the answer of how many books to 4. That way you may not feel rushed. If, one year is going great and you can do more, I guess that's OK also. But 4 is a good number. Again, so you don't feel rushed to get out more books than you feel comfortable doing.

Randall Flagg
09-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Not included in the poll, but a fact of life is that Suntup produces "x" amount of books per year, "x" amount of highest quality cover prints, and Dragon Rebound produces "x" amount of exquisite rebound books per year.
If there are 4 Suntup books (usually a lettered, numbered, and a gift edition), 4 prints (usually 2 sizes, and possible remarques) and 2 rebound books per annum, that is a hefty chunk of change. Expecting collectors to consistently spend $10K a year just for Suntup/Dragon productions is a stretch.

jeffingoff
09-11-2019, 04:22 PM
I picked
Fight Club by Palahniuk
And Inspection by Josh Malerman (cue the eye roll, I’m sure)

I also opted for four books a year but my greatest preference is for however many keep Suntup rolling strong.

I’d like to also suggest CABAL by Clive Barker.

Black Miau
09-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Mine:

Hyperion Cantos
The Name of The Wind

With Epic Illustrations like Elric of Centipede Press.

webstar1000
09-11-2019, 04:42 PM
Not included in the poll, but a fact of life is that Suntup produces "x" amount of books per year, "x" amount of highest quality cover prints, and Dragon Rebound produces "x" amount of exquisite rebound books per year.
If there are 4 Suntup books (usually a lettered, numbered, and a gift edition), 4 prints (usually 2 sizes, and possible remarques) and 2 rebound books per annum, that is a hefty chunk of change. Expecting collectors to consistently spend $10K a year just for Suntup/Dragon productions is a stretch.

But I have to ask.. what does Dragon have to do with Suntup other than the owner?

webstar1000
09-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Jaws
Cats Cradle

Jaws... good one. Even Jurassic Park be cool.... but my top pick was:
WAYWARDS PINES

jeffingoff
09-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Jaws
Cats Cradle

WAYWARDS PINES

I’m going to read PINES right after THE HIDING PLACE by Tudor

webstar1000
09-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Jaws
Cats Cradle

WAYWARDS PINES

Oh man.... it’s amazing. The whole set. I read them in a couple weeks it was so good. I think Suntup would kill that. Be a huge hit and mean a lot to collectors I bet. It’s so good!

jeffingoff
09-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Jaws
Cats Cradle

WAYWARDS PINES

Oh man.... it’s amazing. The whole set. I read them in a couple weeks it was so good. I think Suntup would kill that. Be a huge hit and mean a lot to collectors I bet. It’s so good!

Well you weren’t wrong about BROTHER. That’s for goddamned sure.

Randall Flagg
09-11-2019, 05:36 PM

But I have to ask.. what does Dragon have to do with Suntup other than the owner?

Not sure why you didn't understand.

A dedicated follower (people who spend their hard earned dollars), buys everything Suntup and Dragon Rebound produces. That means a significant outlay every year.

dnemec
09-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Jaws
Cats Cradle

WAYWARDS PINES

I suggested the Wayward Pines trilogy too. The books aren't that long so the combined book wouldn't be too cumbersome and I LOVED those books!

lotuz
09-11-2019, 05:56 PM
We know (based on the availability of the various lettered editions) that there are ~25 people who currently buy every lettered edition, and probably each buy a numbered edition too. I assume that a number of them are on the DRE train as well, but have no indication of how many. I think that a much smaller group of people purchase all the prints (based on the fact that most prints are ~100 total copies and most are still available in one or both sizes).

I'd be curious to know what percentage of the ~250 numbered slots have been filled by people who plan to purchase every book. My guess is that this is currently a much higher percentage than most, if not all, of the other small genre presses (thinking mainly about Centipede Press, Sub Press, Cemetery Dance, PS Publishing, and Charnel House, with Letterpress Publications a bit too early in the process to tell). I think this is why Suntup Editions is the only press that requires you to buy every edition to maintain a specific number with pre-order status. All the other presses have a variety of tracks (King tracks, specific author tracks, specific series tracks, etc.) that allow you to maintain a number under certain circumstances and only request it in others.

I would bet that at some time in the future there will be a tipping point, at which time there will be a minority of sales coming from customers who buy every book and a majority coming from a mix of customers who buy many but not all books plus customers who buy only books that they have a special interest in. I'm sure that this is the current case for all the other small presses (maybe not Charnel House), and I'm also sure that it's related to the much greater output of all those presses (also excepting Charnel House). However, Suntup does maintain a consistently higher price point for both limited and lettered editions, which makes it extra hard to try to predict how many yearly releases will eventually result in the tipping point! Is it 4 books? 6? Probably if it were to go up to 12 books per year it would "tip".

I hope that at that point (if it comes), Paul might consider a model similar to what Centipede Press uses (other presses might do this as well, but I don't know): if you agree to a subscription in which you purchase all of the books, you are guaranteed the same number, access to all releases, and a discount off the list price.

But all of this only considers the buyer's standpoint, not the publisher's!

Those concerns would probably include:

1. When is profit maximized?

2. When is the ability to spend as much time as necessary on each book compromised?

3. What is the optimal work/life balance for the proprietor?

And those are probably all different points! My gut feeling is that (2) is the current priority and (3) is probably a higher work/life ratio than normal, given that we all know that Paul was a collector first, and very much prioritizes the needs and desires of collectors. But let's give him ten years and see if he gets a little jaded :lol:

Of course this is all rampant speculation on my part. Would be curious to hear other people's thoughts...

(And their book choices as well!)

Hunchback Jack
09-11-2019, 05:58 PM
Slob - Rex Miller

Ooh, good suggestions. Instead of your second, though, I'd prefer
The Crook Factory

And 4 books a year was my pick as well, partly for expense, and partly because each release becomes more of an event. But if more books are needed to make Suntup a going concern, bring them on!

HBJ

firemonkey66
09-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Slob - Rex Miller

Ooh, good suggestions. Instead of your second, though, I'd prefer
The Crook Factory

And 4 books a year was my pick as well, partly for expense, and partly because each release becomes more of an event. But if more books are needed to make Suntup a going concern, bring them on!

HBJ

My top 3 were:
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Blood Music by Greg Bear
Sphere by Michael Crichton

I also chose 4 books a year, and I echo HBJ’s reasoning:)

cit74
09-11-2019, 08:25 PM
I had:
Name of the Wind
Something by Neil Gaiman (even his Childrens stories - lots of art and thought this would be fun)
Harry Potter series

zelig
09-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Thank you for the submissions! I'm amazed at how many survey submissions have come through. A whole lot more than I expected. Some never completed the survey, so they won't be included for the prize draw. But a ton of great information.

It's always good to see what books are important to you. Some of the ones mentioned are either in the works, or they are on the radar.

Jerome, you may get an increase in traffic after that survey went out. 35% had not heard of the site, but they have now!

A few comments:

But if more books are needed to make Suntup a going concern, bring them on!

HBJ

This is really what it boils down to in terms of how many books I put out in a year. I completely understand that for most people, 4 a year would be more "comfortable" or affordable than 6 or 8 or 12. Believe me, I get it. But at the same time, I have to keep the business rolling and remain focused on building it.

...I think this is why Suntup Editions is the only press that requires you to buy every edition to maintain a specific number with pre-order status. All the other presses have a variety of tracks (King tracks, specific author tracks, specific series tracks, etc.) that allow you to maintain a number under certain circumstances and only request it in others.

You made a lot of really good observations in your full post. I haven't been doing this long enough to have established several 'tracks' though, other than King and not King. So multiple tracks isn't really feasible at this stage. The way it works currently evolved out of requests from customers. Something that has become very clear to me is that the entire Suntup brand is considered a series by many. As to where this goes, tipping points, etc... we will have to see how it plays out.

webstar1000
09-12-2019, 02:17 AM

A dedicated follower (people who spend their hard earned dollars), buys everything Suntup and Dragon Rebound produces. That means a significant outlay every year.

They are two separate companies and I believe should be treated as such. Perhaps the words “don’t understand” was wrong as I do know what you mean man however grouping the two I no longer do as they have zero to do with each other. Then you might as well include every other fan favourite small press too. Subpress and CD... that’s all I meant.

Br!an
09-12-2019, 03:58 AM

They are two separate companies and I believe should be treated as such. Perhaps the words “don’t understand” was wrong as I do know what you mean man however grouping the two I no longer do as they have zero to do with each other. Then you might as well include every other fan favourite small press too. Subpress and CD... that’s all I meant.

They both involve Paul though. His time is valuable. Each effort affects the other. Misery was to be a Dragon Rebound and ended up a Suntup S/L. [Redacted] has been put on hold for now as a Rebound since Paul is busy with Suntup productions.

MikeDuke
09-12-2019, 05:17 AM
Lotuz
"I'd be curious to know what percentage of the ~250 numbered slots have been filled by people who plan to purchase every book."
That would be me. I plan on getting everything numbered Paul puts out. And you made some very good points in your post. I am just glad that I found
Suntup when I did. Because the whole process is exciting. From the teaser vid, to the naming of the book and full trailer, to the updates and getting that
book in your hands. I love it. And I don't want to miss one second of it. So far I am very happy with how things are unfolding. I am looking forward
to years of Suntup books to be added to my collection.
And there was a subscription option when Paul was first getting started at different levels. They all sold out. If Paul were to open that up again, I would most likely jump on it.

zelig
09-12-2019, 07:01 AM
Couple other points of note is that price points on Numbered level books will be planned in such as way as to not have the more costly letterpress books released back to back. As you've seen with Brother, and also The Road. Artist Gift editions are interesting. At first I wasn't too crazy about making these, but I feel differently now. You will start to see more of these with each release. I'm not saying every book will have one, but more of them will in the future.

Patrick
09-12-2019, 07:07 AM
There may come a day that I choose not to buy every numbered edition that Suntup produces, but that day hasn’t yet come.

I’m also a subscriber to the Covers Collection, but starting to wonder how long I should keep that monthly annuity payout going. I love the quality so much, but I hadn’t realized how long the series would continue on.

Having missed the Dragon Rebound train, I have to live vicariously through others and my wallet thanks me.

I would like Suntup Editions productions of:
Oryx and Crake,
anything written by Kurt Vonnegut,
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

jeffingoff
09-12-2019, 07:10 AM
One thing I hadn't considered is a Suntup Edition of a brand new release. That would be amazing. A brand new book by a respected author that hasn't seen publication anywhere else.

amd013
09-12-2019, 07:44 AM
There may come a day that I choose not to buy every numbered edition that Suntup produces, but that day hasn’t yet come.

I’m also a subscriber to the Covers Collection, but starting to wonder how long I should keep that monthly annuity payout going. I love the quality so much, but I hadn’t realized how long the series would continue on.

Having missed the Dragon Rebound train, I have to live vicariously through others and my wallet thanks me.

Oryx and Crake,

I agree with you points. Each release I keep thinking this is when I should bow out, but everyone keeps giving rave reviews on the books, so I continue on. I had never heard of "The Road" and "Brother", and didn't realize "Rosemary's Baby" was based on a book. So far the only book I have read in the non-king tract is THoHH, which I read a few years earlier. If it goes more then 4 a year, I will definetly bow out, and just try to get ones if I have already read (or are planing to read) the book.

For the covers, I have already asked Paul to exclude me from the UK based covers, which he was nice enough to accommodate. I think right now, the only cover that I am looking for is the original US stand hardcover. So I may quit soon, especially since my case is getting stuffed.

For future books I would like to see:
Ethel the Aardvark goes quantity surveying
Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds (expurgated version)
anything by Edmund Wells.

firemonkey66
09-12-2019, 07:50 AM

They both involve Paul though. His time is valuable. Each effort affects the other. Misery was to be a Dragon Rebound and ended up a Suntup S/L. [Redacted] has been put on hold for now as a Rebound since Paul is busy with Suntup productions.

Dragon Rebound and Suntup might be separate companies, but they are linked by the fact that Dragon Rebound letter owners were offered a private matching letter preorder of the first Suntup publication, the EoTD art portfolio. And owning that lettered portfolio led to a private preorder of a matching lettered Misery, and so forth. For me, being one of the lucky ones that got onto the ground floor of Suntup via this route, the two companies are linked in that one opened up the door to the other. And that is on top of the fact that Paul runs both companies. So sure, on paper they are separate companies, but do they have nothing to do with each other? Obviously not. Maybe at the present moment they don't have anything to do with each other aside from who runs them, but the one time that they actually did was pretty damn important, so they will always be linked.

zelig
09-12-2019, 08:55 AM
I for sure did not anticipate that the prints would continue for as long as they have when I first launched the series, but it would be a shame to end it prematurely. As more and more cover prints came on board, I began to realize how unlikely it is that there will ever be another opportunity to have a set of prints of every major King cover, signed by the artist. And that lead me to conclude what a unique series this is, when viewed not necessarily on an individual print level, but as a whole. To date, there are 37 prints that have been released and even if subscribers dropped off, I would still see this through. I want to be able to look back and feel confident that I made it as complete as possible.

There are some which I felt wouldn't make sense to do a print of, and there are also others which I was simply not able to license. The most upsetting for me was The Stand. It took forever to even find Cayea, and when I did, he did not want to license it. This may come across as biased, but really, any artist who chooses not to be a part of this series is missing out on a unique opportunity considering the scope of the collection. But you have to respect the artist's decision. I think it's a matter of them not seeing the bigger vision of it.

It's no small feat putting one of these out every month without skipping a beat, but I really feel that it is absolutely worth the effort.

swintek
09-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Yes, this! I am changing one of my Suntup wishlist pics to Song of Kali. Especially because of the fact that only 15 people have a worthy edition of it (no offense to Paul Miller on the fine numbered edition he did). In keeping with my personal mantra of "Beautiful books for all!"- the world needs more options of a killer edition of an absolutely essential novel.

For the record, then:

1. Red Dragon
2. Song of Kali
3. On Stranger Tides

('Kali bumped Silence of the Lambs. I know Subterranean did it- and did it well- but Harris only signed the crazy-expensive lettered. If Paul could get him to sign a Suntup numbered- I think it would justify another limited. Especially if published in tandem with Red Dragon)

firemonkey66
09-12-2019, 09:22 AM

Yes, this! I am changing one of my Suntup wishlist pics to Song of Kali. Especially because of the fact that only 15 people have a worthy edition of it (no offense to Paul Miller on the fine numbered edition he did). In keeping with my personal mantra of "Beautiful books for all!"- the world needs more options of a killer edition of an absolutely essential novel.

For the record, then:

1. Red Dragon
2. Song of Kali
3. On Stranger Tides

('Kali bumped Silence of the Lambs. I know Subterranean did it- and did it well- but Harris only signed the crazy-expensive lettered. If Paul could get him to sign a Suntup numbered- I think it would justify another limited. Especially if published in tandem with Red Dragon)

Damnit, while I was selecting my 3 books for the survey, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was forgetting another book that I would prefer to see, and you just made me realize what is was! I would looooove to see Hannibal get the Suntup treatment. I hereby amend my list:

1) Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
2) Hannibal by Thomas Harris
3) Sphere by Michael Crichton

NiceM
09-12-2019, 09:38 AM
I loved thew survey

Somehow I fell out of league with horror and ended up with my top 3

1. The Secret History by Donna Tartt
2. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
3. Tolkien. All works. Probably never possible with licenses but a man can dream what Paul would do with those books and all the art!

webstar1000
09-12-2019, 09:42 AM

For the record, then:

1. Red Dragon
2. Song of Kali
3. On Stranger Tides

Damnit, while I was selecting my 3 books for the survey, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was forgetting another book that I would prefer to see, and you just made me realize what is was! I would looooove to see Hannibal get the Suntup treatment. I hereby amend my list:

Oh your 1,2 is awesomeness!

Room 217 Caretaker
09-12-2019, 09:44 AM
I picked:

1. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (please don't laugh at me)
2. Jaws by Peter Benchley
3. Hell House by Richard Matheson

The end papers for Charlie will be lickable wall paper.

Mulleins

Garrell
09-12-2019, 09:48 AM
I picked:

Mulleins

Great choices, I would buy any of the three

firemonkey66
09-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Oh your 1,2 is awesomeness!

I'm actually thinking about moving Hannibal up to #1 now that I'm thinking about it. And it's making me want to reread it, but Brother is next on my list, and I can't bump it! Problems like this are problems I like to have, though:)

firemonkey66
09-12-2019, 09:56 AM
I picked:

Mulleins

That's a good idea! Although lickable/edible endpapers might be tough, maybe scented endpapers? Like you open Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the smell of candy wafts up to you? That would be pretty damn cool:)

jeffingoff
09-12-2019, 10:01 AM
I picked:

Mulleins

That's a good idea! Although lickable/edible endpapers might be tough, maybe scented endpapers? Like you open Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the smell of candy wafts up to you? That would be pretty damn cool:)

They'd need to taste/smell like snozzberries. Which is Dahl's word for dick

BadHatHarry
09-12-2019, 11:03 AM
I picked:

1) The Bosch series by Michael Connelly
2) The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles
3) Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson (because I'd love to see what Suntup could do with that)

OldCrow88
09-12-2019, 11:05 AM
Sharing the common concern that there's no perfect three and I'm sure I overlooked awesome possibilities, I picked:

Neuromancer by William Gibson
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris.

SystemCrashOverRide
09-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Really interesting to read everyone's picks, There are many that I would entirely agree with and love to see Suntup produce.

I picked:
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
The Magicians - Lev Grossman
Myst: The Book of Atrus - Rand and Robin Miller

RichardX
09-12-2019, 11:21 AM
My three picks:

1) Under the Skin - Michel Faber
2) The Man Who Fell to Earth - Walter Trevis
3) The Wolfen - Whitley Strieber

Randall Flagg
09-12-2019, 11:44 AM

For the record, then:

1. Red Dragon
2. Song of Kali
3. On Stranger Tides

Good point about SOK. It really is a giant in the horror world, and a fantastic read. Creating 26 lettered in the expected Suntup magnificence would be wonderful and in no way take away from the Earthling production.

Munnecom
09-12-2019, 11:59 AM
I think right now, the only cover that I am looking for is the original US stand hardcover. So I may quit soon, especially since my case is getting stuffed.

Looks like you’re out of luck...

The most upsetting for me was The Stand. It took forever to even find Cayea, and when I did, he did not want to license it.

Papaseraphim
09-12-2019, 12:34 PM
I'd like to see some classic SF:
Dune
Canticle for Leibowitz
More than Human

The Library Policeman
09-12-2019, 12:37 PM
I picked 2 James Herbert titles. But he’s deceased and not hugely popular (as far as I know).

Still... I can dream.

Beverly Marsh
09-12-2019, 01:16 PM
The survey was a lot of fun! I had a hard time choosing my books because I really only collect King but I picked:

Black Mad Wheel- Josh Malerman

Mister B. Gone- Clive Barker

The Exorcist- William Peter Blatty

Nothing earth shattering but I would step away from King mode for any of these.

jeffingoff
09-12-2019, 01:25 PM
The survey was a lot of fun! I had a hard time choosing my books because I really only collect King but I picked:

Happy to see some Malerman love. I have Black Mad Wheel but I haven't read it yet. I heard that someone is turning it into a movie.

Ben Mears
09-12-2019, 01:41 PM
Dan Simmons-Summer Of Night (Done right with Banished Dreams & Watching The Presidential Debates in Elm Haven included)/ A Winter Haunting two volume set.
Richard Adams-Watership Down
H.G. Bissinger- Friday Night Lights

Munnecom
09-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Happy to see some Malerman love. I have Black Mad Wheel but I haven't read it yet. I heard that someone is turning it into a movie.

I just bought a copy of the Earthling edition of Goblin, partly because of your unboxing/review videos. I have never read any Malerman, but I have very high expectations...

webstar1000
09-12-2019, 01:54 PM

Is black mad wheel good? I never read it

Randall Flagg
09-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Just to tease everyone, here is the Earthling 1/15 Song of Kali. Paul doesn't need to "top it", but I'm sure he could do his own version that would be mind blowing (and 26 instead of 15)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/IMG_0220.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/IMG_0221.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/IMG_0222.jpg

Oh, and just for the hell of it, an image of Daniel (Chaingang) Bunkowski, star of Slob:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Chaingang1.jpg

jeffingoff
09-12-2019, 01:56 PM

I just bought a copy of the Earthling edition of Goblin, partly because of your unboxing/review videos. I have never read any Malerman, but I have very high expectations...

Shit. This could go one of two ways . . .

zelig
09-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Expect some upgrades on the Rosemary's Baby Numbered, book and slipcase. I think you're going to like it. Also upgraded cloth on the AGE. We're in the home stretch with with this one.

jeffingoff
09-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Expect some upgrades on the Rosemary's Baby Numbered, book and slipcase. I think you're going to like it. Also upgraded cloth on the AGE. We're in the home stretch with with this one.

Seriously fantastic news. Brings me back to one of my responses in the survey: you can’t improve on perfection. You’re doing everything exactly right.

MikeDuke
09-12-2019, 03:41 PM
How do you say awesome... Oh that's right FREAKING AWESOME!!!!:excited:

Black Miau
09-12-2019, 09:18 PM
I can't wait for Rosemary's Baby!
Meanwhile...

My Alternative List:
Hannibal by Thomas Harris
The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Patrick
09-13-2019, 12:00 AM
I for sure did not anticipate that the prints would continue for as long as they have when I first launched the series, but it would be a shame to end it prematurely. As more and more cover prints came on board, I began to realize how unlikely it is that there will ever be another opportunity to have a set of prints of every major King cover, signed by the artist. And that lead me to conclude what a unique series this is, when viewed not necessarily on an individual print level, but as a whole. To date, there are 37 prints that have been released and even if subscribers dropped off, I would still see this through. I want to be able to look back and feel confident that I made it as complete as possible.

There are some which I felt wouldn't make sense to do a print of, and there are also others which I was simply not able to license. The most upsetting for me was The Stand. It took forever to even find Cayea, and when I did, he did not want to license it. This may come across as biased, but really, any artist who chooses not to be a part of this series is missing out on a unique opportunity considering the scope of the collection. But you have to respect the artist's decision. I think it's a matter of them not seeing the bigger vision of it.

It's no small feat putting one of these out every month without skipping a beat, but I really feel that it is absolutely worth the effort.
All this is why I have all 37 and why I stay in.

Paul, any estimate of how many more you might produce in this series?

Patrick
09-13-2019, 12:09 AM
Oryx and Crake,

I picked:

Mulleins
Happy to see I wasn’t the only one who voted for Wonka! I love your endpapers idea, Ralph. This was my clear favorite book of my childhood. I read everything I got my hands on and the only ones to come anywhere close were its sequel (Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator) and James and the Giant Peach. I would be in heaven if Suntup produced a set of those three Dahl books.

And also the Oz books, but I would want the original art.

zelig
09-13-2019, 06:00 AM

All this is why I have all 37 and why I stay in.

Paul, any estimate of how many more you might produce in this series?

Right now I have about 12 months of unreleased prints on hand.

jeffingoff
09-13-2019, 06:06 AM
Just to tease everyone, here is the Earthling 1/15 Song of Kali. Paul doesn't need to "top it", but I'm sure he could do his own version that would be mind blowing (and 26 instead of 15)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/IMG_0220.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/IMG_0221.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/IMG_0222.jpg

Oh, and just for the hell of it, an image of Daniel (Chaingang) Bunkowski, star of Slob:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Chaingang1.jpg

Beautiful. Paul Miller rolls slow with those lettereds but they are always gorgeous. I'm on waiting lists for a couple of them.

BadHatHarry
09-13-2019, 07:42 AM

Twinsies!

firemonkey66
09-13-2019, 09:00 AM
I picked:

3) Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson (because I'd love to see what Suntup could do with that)

I also nominated Calvin & Hobbes during a similar Suntup survey a while back. As far as comics go, I think Calvin & Hobbes would be much deserving of a Suntup homage. It's an awesomely written and beautifully illustrated comic that is beloved by millions, but also Bill Watterson and his whole approach to the series had a kind of 'classy feel' to it that I think would mesh well with the Suntup vibe (if anyone is interested, there's a good synopsis of it here: http://www.thelegalartist.com/blog/on-bill-wattersons-refusal-to-license-calvin-and-hobbes). And if Bill Watterson put his signature to a Suntup signed limited edition of 'The Complete Calvin & Hobbes,' it would get a lot of attention, and be quite valuable. People pay handsomely for anything that Watterson put his signature on because there's so little of it out there.

BadHatHarry
09-13-2019, 09:37 AM
I picked:

I also nominated Calvin & Hobbes during a similar Suntup survey a while back. As far as comics go, I think Calvin & Hobbes would be much deserving of a Suntup homage. It's an awesomely written and beautifully illustrated comic that is beloved by millions, but also Bill Watterson and his whole approach to the series had a kind of 'classy feel' to it that I think would mesh well with the Suntup vibe (if anyone is interested, there's a good synopsis of it here: http://www.thelegalartist.com/blog/on-bill-wattersons-refusal-to-license-calvin-and-hobbes). And if Bill Watterson put his signature to a Suntup signed limited edition of 'The Complete Calvin & Hobbes,' it would get a lot of attention, and be quite valuable. People pay handsomely for anything that Watterson put his signature on because there's so little of it out there.

Calvin and Hobbes is so much more than just a comic. The series was so far over and above everything else in its genre, it's incredible. It completely changed the comic world. It's like Breaking Bad (times a million) compared to a Lorenzo Lamas TV series.

I do think Suntup Editions and Watterson would do well together, because it's about a love for the story and the work, not a money grab.

jeffingoff
09-13-2019, 09:38 AM
I picked:

I have a three volume hardcover set of the complete Calvin and Hobbes. That strip was genius and I think you and BadHatHarry are spot on. A Suntup edition would be amazeballs as the kids used to say in 2015. I'd also lose my shit over a Far Side Suntup edition.

Ben Mears
09-13-2019, 09:43 AM
I picked:

Watterson would never allow it let alone sign anything. The Complete Calvin & Hobbes was his final word.

MikeDuke
09-13-2019, 09:48 AM
Since we seem to sliding way off the road, I nominate Bloom County for Suntup treatment. One of my favorites of all time.

firemonkey66
09-13-2019, 09:48 AM
I picked:

Calvin and Hobbes is so much more than just a comic. The series was so far over and above everything else in its genre, it's incredible. It completely changed the comic world. It's like Breaking Bad (times a million) compared to a Lorenzo Lamas TV series.

I do think Suntup Editions and Watterson would do well together, because it's about a love for the story and the work, not a money grab.

Exactly! Well said, man. One of the things I like about Stephen King is how in his writing he expounds on the idea of childhood being a time when magic is actually real, and Calvin & Hobbes is like that idea come to life.

firemonkey66
09-13-2019, 09:56 AM
I picked:

Watterson would never allow it let alone sign anything. The Complete Calvin & Hobbes was his final word.

I don't know about that. Watterson wouldn't license something that alters Calvin & Hobbes, but a publication of his work as it stands? He has never said he wouldn't authorize or be a part of such a thing. He won't license a 'Calvin & Hobbes world' in Disney World or a Calvin & Hobbes movie because it would pervert his work, but a fine Suntup publication of Calvin & Hobbes as it already exists is a different story.

mikeC
09-13-2019, 09:58 AM
In Memory of Running: Ron McClarty (I would love to see any love for this book)
Einstein's Dreams: Alan Lightman (I think the illustrations for this would be killer)
October Country: Bradbury

BadHatHarry
09-13-2019, 10:04 AM
I picked:

I don't know about that. Watterson wouldn't license something that alters Calvin & Hobbes, but a publication of his work as it stands? He has never said he wouldn't authorize or be a part of such a thing. He won't license a 'Calvin & Hobbes world' in Disney World or a Calvin & Hobbes movie because it would pervert his work, but a fine Suntup publication of Calvin & Hobbes as it already exists is a different story.

Watterson's objection to licensing is (1) he viewed it as a money grab which corrupted the art because now the artist has to be concerned as to whether or not it will affect the licensing fees, and (2) it gave other people control over his work.

Beverly Marsh
09-13-2019, 11:08 AM

He's probably my favorite new(ish)writer. I absolutely loved On This the Day of the Pig. He just thinks out of the box and has some funky ideas which I find refreshing. And I think I saw that about a movie as well. I hope they do it justice because it could be creepy good!

Beverly Marsh
09-13-2019, 11:11 AM

Is black mad wheel good? I never read it

It's good if you like Malerman. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed it!

Brian861
09-13-2019, 11:13 AM

He's probably my favorite new(ish)writer. I absolutely loved On This the Day of the Pig. He just thinks out of the box and has some funky ideas which I find refreshing. And I think I saw that about a movie as well. I hope they do it justice because it could be creepy good!

And Paul wouldn't even need him to sign. He could just draw a few squiggly lines :)

Beverly Marsh
09-13-2019, 11:15 AM

And Paul wouldn't even need him to sign. He could just draw a few squiggly lines :)

:emot-roflolmao: so true!

jeffingoff
09-13-2019, 11:16 AM

I agree. OTTDOTP was my favorite of his. And his ideas are huge. There's so much to explore. It's his vast imagination that really makes his books special.

jeffingoff
09-13-2019, 11:18 AM

:emot-roflolmao: so true!

Yeah, I forge checks from him all the time. His books buy themselves.

Ben Mears
09-13-2019, 11:20 AM
[

I respectfully disagree. Watterson would likely consider it redundant (which it is) and there would be zero chance of him signing anything.

Patrick
09-13-2019, 02:11 PM
Odds aside, I would fully support a Suntup treatment of Calvin & Hobbes, Bloom County, and/or The Far Side.

kingfan2323
09-13-2019, 02:12 PM
Some great book suggestions in these lists. I ordered a couple. Song of Kali limited!

Chocolate Factory would be such a great idea due to the possible creative avenues alone. Interesting.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF

Garrell
09-13-2019, 02:26 PM
Anything Dr. Suess

Hunchback Jack
09-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Oryx and Crake,

I picked:

Mulleins
Happy to see I wasn’t the only one who voted for Wonka! I love your endpapers idea, Ralph. This was my clear favorite book of my childhood. I read everything I got my hands on and the only ones to come anywhere close were its sequel (Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator) and James and the Giant Peach. I would be in heaven if Suntup produced a set of those three Dahl books.

And also the Oz books, but I would want the original art.

I considered putting The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier on the list. That's a chilling kids book. And not in a Harry Potter way.

HBJ

Scoogs
09-13-2019, 02:57 PM
Calvin and Hobbes will never happen, but a few other favorites that I read as a kid would be nice to have as S/L sets.

The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper
Easton Press did a set with the first volume signed about 10 years ago and Folio has a nice illustrated set, but neither is a great limited edition.
(Ignore the garbage movie from a few years back.)

The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander
Tim Burton's first job at Disney was as an animator on their version of The Black Cauldron, which is the second book of this series.

Joe315
09-13-2019, 03:24 PM
So many good books get such shitty adaptations

Aronstg
09-13-2019, 03:32 PM
I tried to take a few things into account for my top 3 list. The ability to be popular enough to appeal to a large market played into it along with them also being some of my favorite books.

A Handmaid's Tale

Watership Down

BadHatHarry
09-13-2019, 03:51 PM
I tried to take a few things into account for my top 3 list. The ability to be popular enough to appeal to a large market played into it along with them also being some of my favorite books.

A Handmaid's Tale

Watership Down

Damn, those are good.

MikeDuke
09-13-2019, 03:54 PM
1984 was on my mental list
I think something from Kurt Vonnegut would be cool (Maybe Breakfast of Champions or Slaughterhouse 5)
I don't have a third to choose from

Randall Flagg
09-13-2019, 04:00 PM
I think we have had enough suggestions in this thread. I'll let it continue for 300 to 400 more posts...

JK, maybe 30 or 40 more please.

DoctorZaius
09-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

Jaws by Peter Benchley

Monkey Planet by Pierre Boulle - otherwise knows as Planet of the Apes

mikeC
09-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Wow. Chocolate War. That is a book I totally forgot about.

zelig
09-13-2019, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I think I have way more than I would ever need for right now. And I will probably be spending the next two weeks going over that section of the survey. Hundreds of submissions.

I wish I could comment on some of them, but I must keep my mouth shut.

Munnecom
09-13-2019, 06:31 PM
No, you don't! By all means, comment away. We won't hold it against you.

Unless you're actually doing Fight Club, in which case you probably shouldn't talk about it.

cit74
09-13-2019, 06:41 PM
I picked:

I feel fortunate to have a Watterson signed Complete Calvin and Hobbes (the paperback version) as well as 1-2 other Watterson sign books. That would be amazing to put those together and make a beautiful SunTup edition

Garrell
09-13-2019, 06:58 PM
“Jaws” not flapping?
Selective hearing:emot-roflolmao:

firemonkey66
09-13-2019, 08:38 PM

I respectfully disagree. Watterson would likely consider it redundant (which it is) and there would be zero chance of him signing anything.

I feel fortunate to have a Watterson signed Complete Calvin and Hobbes (the paperback version) as well as 1-2 other Watterson sign books. That would be amazing to put those together and make a beautiful SunTup edition

Well we'll have to agree to continue disagreeing, I guess, since you offer nothing but flat opinion with zero reasoning. Why is there 'zero chance of him signing anything?' He signed a limited edition Calvin & Hobbes lithograph in 1992, an edition of 1000. So why would he not sign a fine Suntup limited edition of his masterpiece in a quantity 1/4 the size of that edition? It's not like he never signed any of his books, cit74 owns three of them, as he points out above.

And for someone who considers releasing a limited edition of a book that's already been published 'redundant,' you certainly seem to enjoy reading your deluxe Centipede Press Salem's Lot every year. Imagine if Jerad or King had just said 'eh, fuck it, it's redundant' instead of publishing that book.

Hunchback Jack
09-13-2019, 09:30 PM

Unless you're actually doing Fight Club, in which case you probably shouldn't talk about it.

:D :D :D

St. Troy
09-14-2019, 05:27 AM
Artist Gift editions are interesting. At first I wasn't too crazy about making these, but I feel differently now. You will start to see more of these with each release. I'm not saying every book will have one, but more of them will in the future.

FWIW, I am in the group for whom this is particularly good news.

jeffingoff
09-14-2019, 06:11 AM
Artist Gift editions are interesting. At first I wasn't too crazy about making these, but I feel differently now. You will start to see more of these with each release. I'm not saying every book will have one, but more of them will in the future.

FWIW, I am in the group for whom this is particularly good news.

Same here.

SystemCrashOverRide
09-14-2019, 06:31 AM
As am I.

Kongo
09-14-2019, 06:56 AM
In other words, keep pumping out those beautiful AGE's Paul! Lol

webstar1000
09-14-2019, 06:57 AM
Hey Paul, out of all the cool
Books listed on this thread... can you say if one is secured for a Suntup production? Not which one... just tell us IF ONE is happening?

jeffingoff
09-14-2019, 07:24 AM
Books listed on this thread... can you say if one is secured for a Suntup production? Not which one... just tell us IF ONE is happening?

That might be more torture than not knowing.

zelig
09-14-2019, 07:48 AM

A quick scan and I see THREE that are happening.

As for the Watterson debate, there is only one way to settle that. The dice have been rolled.

webstar1000
09-14-2019, 07:56 AM

As for the Watterson debate, there is only one way to settle that. The dice have been rolled.

HOLY COW

Cook
09-14-2019, 07:59 AM

Regarding Chuck Palaniuk possibilities.
I would really be interested in seeing a Suntup edition of either Lullaby or Diary.

firemonkey66
09-14-2019, 08:37 AM

Hot damn, Paul, you know how to get the blood pumping!

Scoogs
09-14-2019, 10:57 AM

Well we'll have to agree to continue disagreeing, I guess, since you offer nothing but flat opinion with zero reasoning. Why is there 'zero chance of him signing anything?' He signed a limited edition Calvin & Hobbes lithograph in 1992, an edition of 1000. So why would he not sign a fine Suntup limited edition of his masterpiece in a quantity 1/4 the size of that edition? It's not like he never signed any of his books, cit74 owns three of them, as he points out above.

And for someone who considers releasing a limited edition of a book that's already been published 'redundant,' you certainly seem to enjoy reading your deluxe Centipede Press Salem's Lot every year. Imagine if Jerad or King had just said 'eh, fuck it, it's redundant' instead of publishing that book.

Maybe 20 years ago I remember hearing that Watterson previously had a fan mail address on his website and would occasionally sign books if fans sent them in. As soon as they started showing up on eBay he stopped signing.

There's a documentary available on Amazon Prime called Dear Mr. Watterson that spends some time talking about his anti-merchandise stance and the huge amounts of money that he walked away from as a result.

Ben Mears
09-14-2019, 11:00 AM

Fair enough.
I based my position on perceptions gleaned from interviews with Watterson, Nevin Martell's Searching For Calvin & Hobbes, and Time Magazine's (content.time.com) Top 10 Most Reclusive Celebrities #7
…Watterson consistently resisted pressure from publishers to merchandise his comic, believing that it would devalue the characters.
Despite a large and passionate fan following, Watterson retired the strip in 1995, citing frustration with the constraints of daily deadlines and small panels. He has since retreated from the public eye, declining interviews and public appearances and refusing to sign autographs or license his characters. For a time, Watterson stashed autographed copies of his books on the shelves of a local family-owned bookstore — until fans started selling them for higher prices. It remains to be seen if the world will hear from Watterson again.
Of course Paul's recent comment on the subject lends intrigue to the possibility of a limited edition. However, Watterson's requirement for artistic control of his property along with the fact that The Complete Calvin & Hobbes and all 18 individual collections are still in print and available on Watterson's website could make it challenging. As could price point and signature.
Regarding the signed lithograph, it was sent to newspapers by Watterson and Universal Syndicate as a thank you to newspapers that carried the comic strip when he went on sabbatical in 1992. It was never intended for sale and my guess (opinion, not fact) is that he is none too happy with secondary market sales of the print.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/CH_litho.jpg

Ben Mears
09-14-2019, 11:15 AM

In response to your eloquently phrased question, if Jerad or SK hadn't published /approved a 'Salem's Lot limited edition I guess I would have re-read my 1976 paperback edition 44 times instead of the 29 times I had read it prior to the Centipede edition.
In addition to the understated design and quality of materials used, the beauty of the CP limited is that the inclusion of deleted scenes from the original manuscript kept it from being redundant to any perviously published version of the book which was the main attraction for me.

Brian861
09-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Just based on what I've read from you guys, Watterson would be none to happy with someone flipping a Suntup of his either.

I'll have to check out that documentary. Sounds interesting.

firemonkey66
09-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Fair enough.
I based my position on perceptions gleaned from interviews with Watterson, Nevin Martell's Searching For Calvin & Hobbes, and Time Magazine's (content.time.com) Top 10 Most Reclusive Celebrities #7
…Watterson consistently resisted pressure from publishers to merchandise his comic, believing that it would devalue the characters.
Despite a large and passionate fan following, Watterson retired the strip in 1995, citing frustration with the constraints of daily deadlines and small panels. He has since retreated from the public eye, declining interviews and public appearances and refusing to sign autographs or license his characters. For a time, Watterson stashed autographed copies of his books on the shelves of a local family-owned bookstore — until fans started selling them for higher prices. It remains to be seen if the world will hear from Watterson again.
Of course Paul's recent comment on the subject lends intrigue to the possibility of a limited edition. However, Watterson's requirement for artistic control of his property along with the fact that The Complete Calvin & Hobbes and all 18 individual collections are still in print and available on Watterson's website could make it challenging. As could price point and signature.
Regarding the signed lithograph, it was sent to newspapers by Watterson and Universal Syndicate as a thank you to newspapers that carried the comic strip when he went on sabbatical in 1992. It was never intended for sale and my guess (opinion, not fact) is that he is none too happy with secondary market sales of the print.

I appreciate the detailed response. In light of Paul's electrifying intervention, I would say the debate is awesomely superfluous since we're actually going to get an answer. Even if he doesn't respond at all, it's still a definitive answer given a long enough timeline.

In response to your eloquently phrased question, if Jerad or SK hadn't published /approved a 'Salem's Lot limited edition I guess I would have re-read my 1976 paperback edition 44 times instead of the 29 times I had read it prior to the Centipede edition.
In addition to the understated design and quality of materials used, the beauty of the CP limited is that the inclusion of deleted scenes from the original manuscript kept it from being redundant to any perviously published version of the book which was the main attraction for me.

'The understated design and quality of materials used' are what make a finely crafted limited edition book nonredundant, regardless of how many times the work has been published. If the quality of the craftsmanship makes the book useful to a person by enhancing the enjoyment they derive from handling, smelling, admiring, and even reading such a book, then the application of the word redundant to it can be inciting, to say the least.

Ben Mears
09-14-2019, 04:02 PM
... If the quality of the craftsmanship makes the book useful to a person by enhancing the enjoyment they derive from handling, smelling, admiring, and even reading such a book, then the application of the word redundant to it can be inciting, to say the least.

Absolutely agree. I have stated many times (probably more than most here care to read) how much the Centipede edition enhances my reading experience although the passion I have for the story plays a role was well. The stronger I feel about a particular book/story, the more inclined I am to be interested in some type of limited edition. That said I am grateful that Jerad pursued the project and SK approved it.

Patrick
09-14-2019, 05:10 PM

Amazing.

Now who is compiling a summary list of all the books listed in the thread?

Randall Flagg
09-14-2019, 05:30 PM

Amazing.

Now who is compiling a summary list of all the books listed in the thread?
Either MikeDuke, or Jeffingoff...

lotuz
09-14-2019, 06:25 PM

:panic::panic::panic:

HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO SLEEP AT NIGHT

zelig
09-14-2019, 07:40 PM

:panic::panic::panic:

HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO SLEEP AT NIGHT

Now you can imagine how much sleep I get...

cit74
09-14-2019, 09:35 PM
Paul - cannot what to hear any news on any forthcoming books - Watterson would be great. As to my signed books - I happen to know what charities he supported (and had a contact in the past) and was able to purchase the books through the charity...but they were extremely few and far between

MikeDuke
09-14-2019, 10:00 PM
You know, and I mean this with all respect, people should not test me. Paul knows they will always lose. And I take your challenge Randall :biggrin:
Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield
The Macht trilogy - Paul Kearney
Tales of the Ketty Jay - Chris Wooding
Mystery by Peter Straub
Jaws
Cats Cradle
Slob - Rex Miller
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood (a duology as of yesterday!)
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Song of Kali by Dan Simmons
Fight Club by Palahniuk
And Inspection by Josh Malerman
CABAL by Clive Barker
Hyperion Cantos
The Name of The Wind
WAYWARDS PINES
The Crook Factory
Blood Music by Greg Bear
Name of the Wind
Something by Neil Gaiman (even his Childrens stories - lots of art and thought this would be fun)
Harry Potter series
Oryx and Crake,
anything by Edmund Wells
Red Dragon
On Stranger Tides
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Tolkien. All works.
The Bosch series by Michael Connelly
Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson 2. Jaws by Peter Benchley
Hell House by Richard Matheson
Under the Skin - Michel Faber
The Man Who Fell to Earth - Walter Trevis
The Wolfen - Whitley Strieber
Dune
Canticle for Leibowitz
More than Human
Dan Simmons-Summer Of Night Haunting two volume set.
Einstein's Dreams: Alan Lightman (I think the illustrations for this would be killer)
Anything Dr. Suess
A Handmaid's Tale
Watership Down
Jaws by Peter Benchley

Brian861
09-15-2019, 01:07 AM
You know, and I mean this with all respect, people should not test me. Paul knows they will always lose. And I take your challenge Randall :biggrin:
Mystery by Peter Straub
Jaws
Cats Cradle
Slob - Rex Miller
Fight Club by Palahniuk
CABAL by Clive Barker
Hyperion Cantos
The Name of The Wind
WAYWARDS PINES
The Crook Factory
Blood Music by Greg Bear
Name of the Wind
Harry Potter series
Oryx and Crake,
anything by Edmund Wells
Red Dragon
On Stranger Tides
Tolkien. All works.
Dune
Canticle for Leibowitz
More than Human
Anything Dr. Suess
A Handmaid's Tale
Watership Down
Jaws by Peter Benchley

Missed at least one :)

OldCrow88
09-15-2019, 02:50 AM

It's Happening! Sending Paul a hug...

https://d2z1w4aiblvrwu.cloudfront.net/ad/o6VN/at-and-t-wireless-ok-translator-large-7.jpg

jeffingoff
09-15-2019, 05:18 AM
I deduped the list and I removed anything that covered more than one book (so "anything by Gaiman" for example) since it covered more than one book (the exception to this was WAYWARD PINES which is a trilogy). I filled in authors where i could off the top of my head. But I didn't feel like hunting anything down. I also removed Calvin and Hobbes since we got something of an answer from Paul on that one yesterday. The first five on this revised list are my guesses for the likeliest to see the Suntup treatment next:

Jaws by Peter Benchley
Fight Club by Palahniuk
WAYWARD PINES By Blake Crouch
Mystery by Peter Straub
Cats Cradle
Slob - Rex Miller
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Inspection by Josh Malerman
CABAL by Clive Barker
Hyperion Cantos
The Name of The Wind
The Crook Factory
Blood Music by Greg Bear
Name of the Wind
Oryx and Crake,
Red Dragon by Thomas Harris
On Stranger Tides
Dune by Frank Herbert
Canticle for Leibowitz
More than Human
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger
In Memory of Running: Ron McClarty
Einstein's Dreams: Alan Lightman
1984 by George Orwell
Monkey Planet by Pierre Boulle

Here's what I left off Mike's raw data:
anything by Edmund Wells
Harry Potter series
Tolkien. All works.
Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Anything Dr. Suess

MikeDuke
09-15-2019, 07:20 AM
Mystery by Peter Straub
Jaws
Cats Cradle
Slob - Rex Miller
Fight Club by Palahniuk
CABAL by Clive Barker
Hyperion Cantos
The Name of The Wind
WAYWARDS PINES
The Crook Factory
Blood Music by Greg Bear
Name of the Wind
Harry Potter series
Oryx and Crake,
anything by Edmund Wells
Red Dragon
On Stranger Tides
Tolkien. All works.
Dune
Canticle for Leibowitz
More than Human
Anything Dr. Suess
A Handmaid's Tale
Watership Down
Jaws by Peter Benchley

Oh please :redface1:, it was 2:00am my time :). I think I got most of them.

jeffingoff
09-15-2019, 07:24 AM
Mystery by Peter Straub
Jaws
Cats Cradle
Slob - Rex Miller
Fight Club by Palahniuk
CABAL by Clive Barker
Hyperion Cantos
The Name of The Wind
WAYWARDS PINES
The Crook Factory
Blood Music by Greg Bear
Name of the Wind
Harry Potter series
Oryx and Crake,
anything by Edmund Wells
Red Dragon
On Stranger Tides
Tolkien. All works.
Dune
Canticle for Leibowitz
More than Human
Anything Dr. Suess
A Handmaid's Tale
Watership Down
Jaws by Peter Benchley

Looked like you did a thorough job to me.

MikeDuke
09-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Mystery by Peter Straub
Jaws
Cats Cradle
Slob - Rex Miller
Fight Club by Palahniuk
CABAL by Clive Barker
Hyperion Cantos
The Name of The Wind
WAYWARDS PINES
The Crook Factory
Blood Music by Greg Bear
Name of the Wind
Harry Potter series
Oryx and Crake,
anything by Edmund Wells
Red Dragon
On Stranger Tides
Tolkien. All works.
Dune
Canticle for Leibowitz
More than Human
Anything Dr. Suess
A Handmaid's Tale
Watership Down
Jaws by Peter Benchley

Looked like you did a thorough job to me.

Thanks Jeff. I was only playing if I came of harsh. And thanks for catching any that I missed. I did my best. I thought I copied those. But it was so late I may have missed them. Thanks for having my back :).

Munnecom
09-15-2019, 10:56 AM
I think Fight Club is a good bet. The ice has already been broken now that Palahniuk is signing and introducing Rosemary’s Baby.

Is it actually a good book? I’ve only ever seen the movie.

webstar1000
09-15-2019, 11:07 AM
I think Fight Club is a good bet. The ice has already been broken now that Palahniuk is signing and introducing Rosemary’s Baby.

Yeah I loved the movie... wonder if the book is better like 95% of the time. Has a limited ever been done of it?

webstar1000
09-15-2019, 11:08 AM
I forgot I asked for Da Vinci Code. It’s the best selling book of all time (excluding the bible)
I think it be cool to land Brown....

WeDealInLead
09-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Easton Press did the limited.

Munnecom
09-15-2019, 11:30 AM
I forgot I asked for Da Vinci Code. It’s the best selling book of all time (excluding the bible)

Not to be that guy, but according to Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books), it’s not even in the top ten of bestsellers. Also, isn’t the general consensus that Brown’s books are very poorly written? I haven’t read any, but this (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/6194031/The-Lost-Symbol-and-The-Da-Vinci-Code-author-Dan-Browns-20-worst-sentences.html) article comes to mind.

webstar1000
09-15-2019, 11:51 AM

Not to be that guy, but according to Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books), it’s not even in the top ten of bestsellers. Also, isn’t the general consensus that Brown’s books are very poorly written? I haven’t read any, but this (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/6194031/The-Lost-Symbol-and-The-Da-Vinci-Code-author-Dan-Browns-20-worst-sentences.html) article comes to mind.

I quite like his stuff. He is a real page turner. Here is the list I seen:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190915/bea2bb8c714fe58348f8bf384afd2a01.jpg

Cook
09-15-2019, 11:52 AM

Does Easton press really even matter regarding limiteds?
Nothing negative meant towards you.

Munnecom
09-15-2019, 12:02 PM

Their signed editions are fairly uninspired (exactly like a standard EP book, but flatsigned), but the Deluxe Editions are nice. Oversized, slipcased, heavily illustrated, the works.

Joe315
09-15-2019, 02:31 PM

Yeah I loved the movie... wonder if the book is better like 95% of the time. Has a limited ever been done of it?

One of the few times the movie matched or was only slightly worse then the book imo.

Joe315
09-15-2019, 02:32 PM

Their signed editions are fairly uninspired (exactly like a standard EP book, but flatsigned), but the Deluxe Editions are nice. Oversized, slipcased, heavily illustrated, the works.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a deluxe Easton press edition.

WeDealInLead
09-15-2019, 03:05 PM

Sure, why not? They're not necessarily works of art but they're signed, limited, usually have an original illustration, gold edges, ribbon marker, binding is sewn, they're leather bound (some people like this, for me having corpse parts on my shelves is a turn off), and I really like their timeless look. Some of their books are available only for subscribers like The Anubis Gates.

These are the deluxe Easton Press editions: https://www.eastonpress.com/cat/1-167/Deluxe-Limited-Editions

Easton Press constantly publishes books which already have a limited edition (or two).

Cook
09-16-2019, 03:30 AM

Sure, why not? They're not necessarily works of art but they're signed, limited, usually have an original illustration, gold edges, ribbon marker, binding is sewn, they're leather bound (some people like this, for me having corpse parts on my shelves is a turn off), and I really like their timeless look. Some of their books are available only for subscribers like The Anubis Gates.

These are the deluxe Easton Press editions: https://www.eastonpress.com/cat/1-167/Deluxe-Limited-Editions

Easton Press constantly publishes books which already have a limited edition (or two).

Thank you for sharing, I was unaware of the nicer ones.
Usually when I'm out perusing used bookstores I'll pass by a bookshelf of Easton with hardly a glance (mostly because they all look the same)
But I never see really nice editions, guess I'll have to look a little closer.

sullichin
09-16-2019, 05:20 AM

Damn, King only makes this list with all of the Dark Tower books combined?

is IT his best selling book?

I thought Da Vinci Code was a fun read, it's been a long while though and I suppose it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

MikeDuke
09-16-2019, 10:11 AM
New info and video about making the eyes for the lettered RB
https://suntup.press/news/sculpting-the-leather-eyelids-for-rosemarys-baby/
Pretty cool and looks like a lot of work to get them even and the same size.

Hunchback Jack
09-16-2019, 11:12 AM

From what I’ve seen online, most people prefer the movie. Personally, I prefer the book.

amd013
09-16-2019, 11:23 AM
EDIT: moved my reply to top of post, otherwise my reply was included in the quote of the previous reply.

Hi Jeff and Mike,

Just an FYI, my listed books were just a joke (its not what I listed on the survey). I was just curious if anyone got the reference, apparently not. At any rate, to the best of my knowledge "Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity surveying", Olsen's book of Standard British Birds" and Edmund Wells are not real books/authors. A no-prize (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_No-Prize) to anyone who know were these titles come from.

For the record, what I put on the survey was:

Red Dragon, Thomas Harris,
Ghoststory, Peter Straub
Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Jeff Lindsay

I deduped the list and I removed anything that covered more than one book (so "anything by Gaiman" for example) since it covered more than one book (the exception to this was WAYWARD PINES which is a trilogy). I filled in authors where i could off the top of my head. But I didn't feel like hunting anything down. I also removed Calvin and Hobbes since we got something of an answer from Paul on that one yesterday. The first five on this revised list are my guesses for the likeliest to see the Suntup treatment next:

Jaws by Peter Benchley
Fight Club by Palahniuk
Mystery by Peter Straub
Cats Cradle
Slob - Rex Miller
CABAL by Clive Barker
Hyperion Cantos
The Name of The Wind
The Crook Factory
Blood Music by Greg Bear
Name of the Wind
Oryx and Crake,
On Stranger Tides
Dune by Frank Herbert
Canticle for Leibowitz
More than Human
1984 by George Orwell

anything by Edmund Wells
Harry Potter series
Tolkien. All works.
Anything Dr. Suess

jeffingoff
09-16-2019, 11:33 AM

Jaws by Peter Benchley
Fight Club by Palahniuk
Mystery by Peter Straub
Cats Cradle
Slob - Rex Miller
CABAL by Clive Barker
Hyperion Cantos
The Name of The Wind
The Crook Factory
Blood Music by Greg Bear
Name of the Wind
Oryx and Crake,
On Stranger Tides
Dune by Frank Herbert
Canticle for Leibowitz
More than Human
1984 by George Orwell

anything by Edmund Wells
Harry Potter series
Tolkien. All works.
Anything Dr. Suess

Hi Jeff and Mike,

Just an FYI, my listed books were just a joke (its not what I listed on the survey). I was just curious if anyone got the reference, apparently not. At any rate, to the best of my knowledge "Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity surveying", Olsen's book of Standard British Birds" and Edmund Wells are not real books/authors. A no-prize (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_No-Prize) to anyone who know were these titles come from.

Ghoststory, Peter Straub

Hahaha yeah I was preeeeetty sure that Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity Surveying was a complete joke (we all know that Ethel is a land surveyor!), but I was holding out hope that the bird book would get done. I could only imagine what Paul would do with exotic bird feathers.

In all seriousness, I grabbed the consolidated list as it was migrated from Mike (he did the heavy lifting) and just removed doubles. I didn't want to make any judgement calls on any of the titles. And I did it all in about 4 minutes. Give or take 4 minutes.

LOVED Dexter up until that last horrible HORRIBLE season. I really should have checked out the books by now. But the taint of that final season really clouds everything.

amd013
09-16-2019, 11:40 AM

Jaws by Peter Benchley
Fight Club by Palahniuk
Mystery by Peter Straub
Cats Cradle
Slob - Rex Miller
CABAL by Clive Barker
Hyperion Cantos
The Name of The Wind
The Crook Factory
Blood Music by Greg Bear
Name of the Wind
Oryx and Crake,
On Stranger Tides
Dune by Frank Herbert
Canticle for Leibowitz
More than Human
1984 by George Orwell

anything by Edmund Wells
Harry Potter series
Tolkien. All works.
Anything Dr. Suess

Hi Jeff and Mike,

Ghoststory, Peter Straub

Hahaha yeah I was preeeeetty sure that Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity Surveying was a complete joke (we all know that Ethel is a land surveyor!), but I was holding out hope that the bird book would get done. I could only imagine what Paul would do with exotic bird feathers.

In all seriousness, I grabbed the consolidated list as it was migrated from Mike (he did the heavy lifting) and just removed doubles. I didn't want to make any judgement calls on any of the titles. And I did it all in about 4 minutes. Give or take 4 minutes.

LOVED Dexter up until that last horrible HORRIBLE season. I really should have checked out the books by now. But the taint of that final season really clouds everything.

Just an FYI, the only Dexter book that was similar to the series was book 1 (to season 1). I would say that the TV series was actually better then the books though. Hence why I didn't ask for the whole series.

jeffingoff
09-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Just an FYI, the only Dexter book that was similar to the series was book 1 (to season 1). I would say that the TV series was actually better then the books though. Hence why I didn't ask for the whole series.

Good to know. My sister bought me the comics as a gift and I've never looked at them.

I heard they were considering a Dexter movie. or a 9th season.But since this has nothing to do with Suntup, maybe I should stop this derailment?

Tommy
09-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Good to know. My sister bought me the comics as a gift and I've never looked at them.

I heard they were considering a Dexter movie. or a 9th season.But since this has nothing to do with Suntup, maybe I should stop this derailment?

Not until I get to say that the SECOND Dexter book is my favorite. The bad guy in that one does something to his victims I still can't get out of my head. A truly disturbing read. I understand why he never made it to the show. :biggrin:

webstar1000
09-16-2019, 02:18 PM

Not until I get to say that the SECOND Dexter book is my favorite. The bad guy in that one does something to his victims I still can't get out of my head. A truly disturbing read. I understand why he never made it to the show. :biggrin:

Really? Can you put it in spoiler tags?

Randall Flagg
09-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Why?

webstar1000
09-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Why?

Curiosity killed the cat?

Tommy
09-16-2019, 02:33 PM
Why?

LOL, I will PM you if ya want....

jeffingoff
09-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Why?

I figured it was ‘cause you was lookin’ to get in the serial killer biz and was lookin’ for innavative idears.

There’s absolutely no reason I put that in RedNeckEase.

Randall Flagg
09-16-2019, 03:17 PM
Why?

No. It was an Orinoco truck.

The Library Policeman
09-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Why?

Sometimes dead is better. :evil:

firemonkey66
09-16-2019, 04:00 PM
The eyes that are being worked on in the Rosemary’s Baby video look subtly different from the ones pictured in the listing on the Suntup site. They appear more menacing, and a little less human. It looks like the angle of the eyelids is what makes it look different, the actual eyes appear to be the same. Paul or Becca, was that intentional or am I just looking at it too hard?

Tommy
09-16-2019, 04:05 PM
Why?

That saying definitely applies to the victims in the second Dexter book. :evil:

webstar1000
09-16-2019, 04:11 PM
Why?

After hearing what happened to them?? I’d say. Lol

Tommy
09-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Why?

After hearing what happened to them?? I’d say. Lol

Hopefully we've peaked enough interests for people to read the series. They are all short, written from Dexter's (who is a real bastard in the books compared to the show) perspective and very entertaining. The first two are the best in my opinion but very different and darker than the show. A Suntup Edition of any of them would be pretty sweet. :)

Munnecom
09-16-2019, 04:36 PM
The eyes that are being worked on in the Rosemary’s Baby video look subtly different from the ones pictured in the listing on the Suntup site. They appear more menacing, and a little less human. It looks like the angle of the eyelids is what makes it look different, the actual eyes appear to be the same. Paul or Becca, was that intentional or am I just looking at it too hard?

Nope, I noticed that as well.

firemonkey66
09-16-2019, 06:30 PM

Nope, I noticed that as well.

I should also probably mention that I like it a lot:)

zelig
09-16-2019, 08:08 PM
The lids went through several experimental phases. The mockup on the site is digital and it was how I designed the eyelids in the early stages. Basically, getting the concept across for launch.

When it comes to physically making the books, in almost every case, something gets tweaked because now we have the benefit of working with actual materials. Of course this only applies when I don’t make a physical prototype. Which was the case with the eyes and the eyelids.

So when it came to implementing this design, we went through several refinements. For example, placing the eyes under the leather without cutting holes for them in the front panel resulted in them looking too “bug eyed”. So we then laser cut holes and inset the eyes. The result was a vast improvement.

The same concept applied to the lids. We tried several techniques, ending up with what you’re seeing in the video. And then beyond technique, there is style.

What “look” did we feel worked best. It was surprising how the entire look of the eyes change based on the shape of the eyelids. Considering various options, I ended up with the more menacing look you see now.

You compare. You consider. You sometimes look up into the darkening sky for answers; or if not that, a nudge toward this direction instead of that. And with some luck, you find what seems to you, to be that perfect formula. And for the mad hatters behind the curtain, this menacing look seemed to be just that.

Brian861
09-16-2019, 09:57 PM
Amazing job with the eyes, Paul! Looks very sinister.

BadHatHarry
09-17-2019, 02:37 AM

There goes my hero...

firemonkey66
09-17-2019, 03:17 AM
The lids went through several experimental phases. The mockup on the site is digital and it was how I designed the eyelids in the early stages. Basically, getting the concept across for launch.

When it comes to physically making the books, in almost every case, something gets tweaked because now we have the benefit of working with actual materials. Of course this only applies when I don’t make a physical prototype. Which was the case with the eyes and the eyelids.

So when it came to implementing this design, we went through several refinements. For example, placing the eyes under the leather without cutting holes for them in the front panel resulted in them looking too “bug eyed”. So we then laser cut holes and inset the eyes. The result was a vast improvement.

The same concept applied to the lids. We tried several techniques, ending up with what you’re seeing in the video. And then beyond technique, there is style.

What “look” did we feel worked best. It was surprising how the entire look of the eyes change based on the shape of the eyelids. Looking at some options, I ended up with the more menacing look you see now.

You compare. You consider. You sometimes look up into the darkening sky for answers; or if not that, a nudge toward this direction instead of that. And with some luck, you find what seems to you, to be that perfect formula. And for the mad hatters behind the curtain, this menacing look seemed to be just that.

The eyes in the digital mock-up said ‘I am evil eyes,’ but with the adjustments, now they say ‘I hate you,’ which is perfect! Very expressive. Thanks for the behind the scenes glimpse.

MikeDuke
09-17-2019, 04:55 AM
I have to agree. They eyes look really evil now. But in a good way. I am just very impressed that something that is cut like this can be done consonantly for each book. I mean having all 26 books look the same takes a lot of work.
Great stuff as usual Paul.

zelig
09-17-2019, 03:50 PM
Couple more slightly damaged copies of Horns AGE at 50% off.

Horns: Artist Gift Edition (https://shop.suntup.press/products/horns-by-joe-hill-artist-gift-edition)

Munnecom
09-19-2019, 01:22 AM
I’ve been thinking about one of the survey questions, the one about the importance of letterpress printing. I chose the “nice, but nonessential” option. While I certainly appreciate the process and the result, its added value for me is not the same as that of, say, a leather binding (over cloth), a tray- or slipcase (over a naked book) or more illustrations.

Here’s my question to Paul:

If you were to publish Horns again, but printed offset this time, how would that affect your retail price? In other words, how much of that $675 comes from letterpress printing?

Don’t answer if you can’t or don’t want to - I’m just curious, is all.

swintek
09-19-2019, 11:53 AM
I’ve been thinking about one of the survey questions, the one about the importance of letterpress printing. I chose the “nice, but nonessential” option. While I certainly appreciate the process and the result, its added value for me is not the same as that of, say, a leather binding (over cloth), a tray- or slipcase (over a naked book) or more illustrations.

If you were to publish Horns again, but printed offset this time, how would that affect your retail price? In other words, how much of that $675 comes from letterpress printing?

That is an excellent question, and one I've been meaning to ask here myself. So, while I'm here- If Paul chooses to talk about this- can you talk about what letterpress process you've been contracting? I know very little about it, but understand that there are a few different ways to do it now; something with polymer plates? In any case, I also voted for not doing it if it would "considerably" lower prices, as I believe Paul has stated in the past.

webstar1000
09-19-2019, 05:01 PM
Letterpress is so gorgeous though. I mean... it’s classy and full of character. Not every book commands it but look at the price of Brother and Horns.. and you will see the rough cost of doing it. Maybe not every book... but damm we need a few Like this.

firemonkey66
09-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Letterpress is so gorgeous though. I mean... it’s classy and full of character. Not every book commands it but look at the price of Brother and Horns.. and you will see the rough cost of doing it. Maybe not every book... but damm we need a few Like this.

I agree with this, while not every book needs it, there are a few that deserve it.

zelig
09-19-2019, 05:28 PM

That is an excellent question, and one I've been meaning to ask here myself. So, while I'm here- If Paul chooses to talk about this- can you talk about what letterpress process you've been contracting? I know very little about it, but understand that there are a few different ways to do it now; something with polymer plates? In any case, I also voted for not doing it if it would "considerably" lower prices, as I believe Paul has stated in the past.

Sometimes I wish I could just give a short answer.

There are so many production costs that determine the final retail price. If we're focusing only on printing, and comparing offset to letterpress, I can't give you an accurate answer because I don't have this book quoted for offset printing. A wild guess would put retail for the Numbered edition somewhere between $350 and $450. But that's really just a very wild guess.

More respondents went with letterpress than I would have expected. There's no exact science behind the printing process decision, but I do want to see a good mix so that not all titles are published at letterpress-type pricing. Page count is a really important factor. We have a book in the pipeline that is 800+ pages, another will likely break 1000 pages. To print those letterpress would push the price through the stratosphere, and we don't want that.

Ron, as to the technical details of letterpress, it's a subject that most times I am reluctant to speak of. It's one of those things that unless you are what you might call an 'expert', you have studied the art of letterpress printing, you have printed yourself for years, etc. it seems to me that any answer would prove inadequate and lacking. It's a dense subject. When I hear my printer speak of it, I am usually in awe at the highly technical nature of it. There are many aspects to consider. For example, if the impression is too deep on the page it can distort the type. The choice of paper is really important. I accept my limitations in such things. I rely on the expertise of others, and this applies to letterpress.

However, I will say that yes we use photopolymer plates. It's an industry standard, and the printing machine is a Heidelberg Cylinder press. You could look those up online if you want to read more about it. I'd like to print something with metal type some day, but that's a whole other discussion.

Since we're on the subject, I have a book we're working on which will be printed on a different machine; a hand-fed Vandercook press. This one is interesting, and more will be revealed in good time.

There's this video I once made when we were printing Misery, where you can see the press in operation: https://vimeo.com/272587976.

Joe315
09-19-2019, 07:57 PM
Sounds like it’s saying “Nice” every turn

Munnecom
09-19-2019, 09:32 PM
Thanks for your reply, Paul!

MikeDuke
09-20-2019, 04:57 AM
Nice explaination Paul. And an 800 page book plus a 1,000 page book. Wow. That's some heavy lifting there. Can't wait to see which those are. But a mix is still good even though I said letter press. That way it may mix up the style and pricing for future books.

webstar1000
09-20-2019, 05:13 AM
I do printing for my work. It is my career. Letterpress is gorgeous. I seen this quote on line and its the best way to describe it for anyone not exactly sure what it is...

"“What is letterpress and how is it different from 'regular' printing?” Conventional printing methods of today lay ink or toner flat on the surface of the paper. In contrast, letterpress printing actually presses the type and image into the paper resulting in an impression you can see and feel."

MikeDuke
09-20-2019, 05:52 AM
I do admit that letterpress is great. It may even look different then regular offset print. I have to double check. I know part of fascination and enjoyment of it is that you can feel the text just a bit. For me though, with my right hand still having nerve damage, it's harder for me to feel it like I do with my left hand. I can just a bit. A book doesn't HAVE to be letter press to be spectacular. I am very happy with the quality of my my GE Misery. It is top notch all around including the printing and paper. But I still like the idea of having a book that is letter pressed because it's something that makes it a bit more special and unique. So keep on doing them on the ones you can Paul.

webstar1000
09-20-2019, 08:20 AM
UMMMM.... ???? What’s this??? Just cruising Jeff’s Unboxing’s and stumbled across this “secret surprise”!!!

https://youtu.be/nxos80ysd_k

webstar1000
09-20-2019, 08:29 AM
Lol man dude your good at these. Lol

webstar1000
09-20-2019, 08:29 AM
8 days!!!! Cannot wait!!

MikeDuke
09-20-2019, 08:31 AM
UMMMM.... ???? What’s this??? Just cruising Jeff’s Unboxing’s and stumbled across this “secret surprise”!!!

Release date :panic::excited::excited::excited::clap::biggrin1:
And Jeff, that was a great video.

jeffingoff
09-20-2019, 09:20 AM

It's CRAZY is what it is. I was recording a radio spot for the day job that I can't quit and haven't been able to comment until now, but sweet baby jeebus, I am dying to know what I may have helped unleash upon the world!!

Kongo
09-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Always love getting to peek behind the curtain with those behind the scene updates. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

jeffingoff
09-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Well, of the 61 views I've had so far, there's at least one person who disagrees with you. But thank you!

MikeDuke
09-20-2019, 09:30 AM

Well, of the 61 views I've had so far, there's at least one person who disagrees with you. But thank you!
Boo to that one person. They certainly don't know art when they see it. I always look forward to your unboxing vids Jeff.
They have never disappointed.

Brian861
09-20-2019, 09:34 AM
Super stoked for you, brother that Paul got you involved in the latest tease!

Any guesses folks?

webstar1000
09-20-2019, 09:36 AM

Any guesses folks?

There a ton... pick any Vampire book... its one of them! I would bet!

Brian861
09-20-2019, 09:38 AM

Any guesses folks?

There a ton... pick any Vampire book... its one of them! I would bet!

Almost looks like a writing implement as well. You know, the type you would dip into someone's blood :evil:

NiceM
09-20-2019, 09:44 AM
wow wow wow, awesome way to announce. A lovefest indeed!

Now for my guess: Ann Rice? Would be a series though and not sure if Paul does series

Brian861
09-20-2019, 09:45 AM

Now for my guess: Ann Rice? Would be a series though and not sure if Paul does series

He's stated he'd consider doing a series.

NiceM
09-20-2019, 09:46 AM

He's stated he'd consider doing a series.

I'd root for Lestat then!

M_O_O_N
09-20-2019, 09:47 AM
"It's a cookbook!"

Munnecom
09-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Jeff, if there was an award for YouTube Unboxing Comedy Gold, you should definitely get it. :D

jeffingoff
09-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Jeff, if there was an award for YouTube Unboxing Comedy Gold, you should definitely get it. :D

I think we'd have to get even more niche. I fully believe that I'd walk away with every trophy in the category of: BEST UNBOXING OF SMALL PRESS PUBLISHING BOOKS AND RELATED ITEMS BY A MAN WHOSE NAME BEGINS WITH JEFFING

That's my category.

webstar1000
09-20-2019, 10:46 AM
Dan Simmons Maybe? That be awesome!

Munnecom
09-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Obviously, it's this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51k6gRMndcL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

lotuz
09-20-2019, 11:01 AM
Wow - so many vampire books out there... very curious what this could be! I don't get if there's a significance to the two red lines, that might be the only clue as to which particular book it could be, but that reference (if it is one) is over my head.

My hopes are 'Salem's Lot (highly unlikely), Lost Souls (Poppy Z. Brite is long overdue for an ultra-fancy edition), or I Am Legend (a favorite of mine, and also due an ultra-fancy edition).

Anne Rice is an obvious choice, and I would hesitate to say Dracula just because it has lots of fine editions because it's in the public domain, but I'd still be interested to see Paul's take on it. Let the Right One In was big and well-received, and would be another good one to draw more new customers into the Suntup fold.

There are just so, so many options... :orely::orely::orely:

Also, what an awesome way to tease it! Feels like a special treat for everyone who enjoys Jeff's videos, and an extra special treat to the man himself! Very, very cool.

Munnecom
09-20-2019, 11:12 AM
I've been looking for the exact post, but Paul did tease that Jeff would be involved in a book announcement in some way. I guess this is that.

zelig
09-20-2019, 11:17 AM
Someone on the forum said wouldn't it be cool if Jeff announced the next book, or something along those lines. I thought it was a great idea, so ran with it.

Those red lines on the back have nothing to do with anything.

You may also want to mark your calendars. I'll be doing a FB live on Friday 27th and will discuss RB shipping (I will have books to show you), I will announce the survey winners and also mention the new book...etc...

MikeDuke
09-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Someone on the forum said wouldn't it be cool if Jeff announced the next book, or something along those lines. I thought it was a great idea, so ran with it.

You may also want to mark your calendars. I'll be doing a FB live on Friday 27th and will discuss RB shipping (I will have books to show you), I will announce the survey winners and also mention the new book...etc...
Sounds like a plan to me.

jeffingoff
09-20-2019, 11:21 AM
Wow - so many vampire books out there... very curious what this could be! I don't get if there's a significance to the two red lines, that might be the only clue as to which particular book it could be, but that reference (if it is one) is over my head.

My hopes are 'Salem's Lot (highly unlikely), Lost Souls (Poppy Z. Brite is long overdue for an ultra-fancy edition), or I Am Legend (a favorite of mine, and also due an ultra-fancy edition).

Anne Rice is an obvious choice, and I would hesitate to say Dracula just because it has lots of fine editions because it's in the public domain, but I'd still be interested to see Paul's take on it. Let the Right One In was big and well-received, and would be another good one to draw more new customers into the Suntup fold.

Also, what an awesome way to tease it! Feels like a special treat for everyone who enjoys Jeff's videos, and an extra special treat to the man himself! Very, very cool.

Yeah, this was a really fun and awesome thing to be part of. A very special treat indeed. It's crazy to be one who helped with the announcement and still dying with anticipation to know what the announcement is!

Hunchback Jack
09-20-2019, 11:31 AM
I was kinda hoping for the cease and desist letter.

Just kidding, Jeff. You know how much I love your vids. This was another great one.

And Paul, you are the master of the pre-announcement hype. I swear my heart rate doubled when I saw the contents of the mystery box.

FlyerPhan0826
09-20-2019, 11:32 AM
Awesome video! Cany wait to see what this next book is

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hunchback Jack
09-20-2019, 11:49 AM

Are you thinking Children of the Night, Kris? Or Carrion Comfort? Either would be pretty great.

jeffingoff
09-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Just kidding, Jeff. You know how much I love your vids. This was another great one.

And Paul, you are the master of the pre-announcement hype. I swear my heart rate doubled when I saw the contents of the mystery box.

Thank you! I sent the stake to a forensics lab and they were able to scrape some DNA off of it. They're not sure what the DNA belongs to, but they said they'd get back to me about it. Seems there's been a lot of technicians taking sick time lately and that's stalled the analysis. I'm sure once those people turn up, I'll get my answers.

stroppygoblin
09-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Great video Jeff - I think a lot of people will be surprised by this. :cool_002:

jeffingoff
09-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Great video Jeff - I think a lot of people will be surprised by this. :cool_002:

thank you! Intriguing!

Garrell
09-20-2019, 12:37 PM
The Troop, it is a tent peg

webstar1000
09-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Are you thinking Children of the Night, Kris? Or Carrion Comfort? Either would be pretty great.

I was talking to Nick and he thought Children of the Night and after reading up on it... I think it could be. It is one I have not read though. I also was hopeful for Wayward Pines but I don’t think they are vamps... so not sure. I still need to read Carrion too.. is that a good read brother?

FlyerPhan0826
09-20-2019, 12:44 PM
The Troop, it is a tent pegOh man this would be amazing

(And one of my suggestions I might add :))

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jeffingoff
09-20-2019, 12:50 PM
I'd be crazy not to say thanks to Paul for giving me this bit part! I loved every second of it.

Brian861
09-20-2019, 01:31 PM

Thank you! I sent the stake to a forensics lab and they were able to scrape some DNA off of it. They're not sure what the DNA belongs to, but they said they'd get back to me about it. Seems there's been a lot of technicians taking sick time lately and that's stalled the analysis. I'm sure once those people turn up, I'll get my answers.

Oh, Jeff. Don't tell me you peed on it :doh: Those red lines aren't your test results!

Munnecom
09-20-2019, 01:31 PM

:orely:

Scoogs
09-20-2019, 01:48 PM

Let the Right One In would be cool.

Just out of legitimate curiosity, why do you hope for Salem's Lot?

I love the book and we all agree Suntup could make a fantastic version, but...why?
We already have 2 editions from Centipede Press, 3 from Cemetery Dance and 1 from PS publishing(not sure if they did a lettered too).

6 limited editions of one book, 4 in the last few years, already seems like overkill to me. (Maybe that's why I barely collect anymore).

webstar1000
09-20-2019, 01:51 PM

I love the book and we all agree Suntup could make a fantastic version, but...why?
We already have 2 editions from Centipede Press, 3 from Cemetery Dance and 1 from PS publishing(not sure if they did a lettered too).

6 limited editions of one book, 4 in the last few years, already seems like overkill to me. (Maybe that's why I barely collect anymore).

I guessed Let the Right One In on another forum. Couple people over there think that it’s Needful Things and are convinced. lol

Brian861
09-20-2019, 01:54 PM
I guessed Let the Right One In on another forum. Couple people over there think that it’s Needful Things and are convinced. lol

Or Harry Potter. That thing could be a wand.

lotuz
09-20-2019, 04:26 PM

I agree that there have been a lot of versions of this book, and I do see the edition that Centipede Press did as a "definitive version", as in "a unique and interesting treatment and if the book never got another S/L I would be happy with this one."

However, I'm just totally enamored with a good small-press treatment of books I love, and Suntup is right on the forefront of that. So to me it matters less that there have been 1 or 5 or 10 prior versions of the book, and more that it is a book I like and that I think Paul could provide a worthy take on. He could produce exclusively versions of books that already have S/L editions from other presses and I'd still be happy. Is that an optimal use of his skills? Probably not. There are a lot of other really good limited editions out there that if they are never done again I'd feel like I have a copy that I'm happy with. But the number of previous editions of a book is less important to me than (1) "is it a book I like", and (2) "do I think Paul could provide a unique version of it", hence the interest in a Suntup edition of Dracula, which has been done many other times, some very, very well (thinking of the recent Amaranthine Books release, which was excellent).

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I took no offense at all to the question - it's totally legitimate and I could easily understand a different position from mine - that one might want a focus on the multitude of books that don't already have limited editions!

Garrell
09-20-2019, 05:21 PM
Agree lotuz. Very well put and my exact sentiment.

NiceM
09-20-2019, 10:44 PM

I agree that there have been a lot of versions of this book, and I do see the edition that Centipede Press did as a "definitive version", as in "a unique and interesting treatment and if the book never got another S/L I would be happy with this one."

However, I'm just totally enamored with a good small-press treatment of books I love, and Suntup is right on the forefront of that. So to me it matters less that there have been 1 or 5 or 10 prior versions of the book, and more that it is a book I like and that I think Paul could provide a worthy take on. He could produce exclusively versions of books that already have S/L editions from other presses and I'd still be happy. Is that an optimal use of his skills? Probably not. There are a lot of other really good limited editions out there that if they are never done again I'd feel like I have a copy that I'm happy with. But the number of previous editions of a book is less important to me than (1) "is it a book I like", and (2) "do I think Paul could provide a unique version of it", hence the interest in a Suntup edition of Dracula, which has been done many other times, some very, very well (thinking of the recent Amaranthine Books release, which was excellent).

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I took no offense at all to the question - it's totally legitimate and I could easily understand a different position from mine - that one might want a focus on the multitude of books that don't already have limited editions!

I'm on the same page m8. I collect for certain unique features that matter to me personally. It's why I collect both the lettered and numbered Malazan series for example which some would say is totally crazy. As long as a fine publisher put's something unique in an edition, I could buy 10 different versions. I think everyone agrees that Paul is a master in providing the unique :)

Munnecom
09-20-2019, 11:21 PM
I’m the opposite: one edition per book.

When I bought Amaranthine Books’ Scholomance Edition of Dracula, the Centipede Press version had to go (as Lotuz knows ;)). That’s why I hope Paul never does Dracula.

For one, there are many fine press editions of it. I can name eleven off the top of my head. For two, I have a lot of money invested in the AB edition and I don’t want to “have to” get rid of it again.

NiceM
09-20-2019, 11:23 PM
I’m the opposite: one edition per book.

When I bought Amaranthine Books’ Scholomance Edition of Dracula, the Centipede Press version had to go (as Lotuz knows ;)). That’s why I hope Paul never does Dracula.

For one, there are many fine press editions of it. I can name eleven off the top of my head. For two, I have a lot of money invested in the AB edition and I don’t want to “have to” get rid of it again.

You don't happen to have a spare Centipede Press Dracula do you?:)

Munnecom
09-20-2019, 11:26 PM
No, sorry. Lotuz had expressed interest when I posted my pictures in the CP thread, so when AB announced theirs and I wanted to make a quick sale, I went to him first.

OldCrow88
09-21-2019, 02:29 AM

Obviously they were that one person who was offended when you said 'guys'.

OldCrow88
09-21-2019, 02:31 AM

PS did a Lettered variant and it was different from the limited in that it's a single volume rather than three.

Hunchback Jack
09-21-2019, 03:44 AM

I was talking to Nick and he thought Children of the Night and after reading up on it... I think it could be. It is one I have not read though. I also was hopeful for Wayward Pines but I don’t think they are vamps... so not sure. I still need to read Carrion too.. is that a good read brother?

Carrion Comfort is a fine read. A bit on the long side, but epic and has quite an original premise, I think. It’s a vampire novel of a different kind.

Children of the Night is a more conventional vampire novel, but still with an interesting twist. Second-tier Simmons, I would say, but still worth your time.

vincent
09-21-2019, 04:10 AM
great video Jeff! Perhaps it's a reference to Needful Things and it's the piece from Noah's boat? That would be cewl

DoctorZaius
09-21-2019, 08:31 AM
great video Jeff! Perhaps it's a reference to Needful Things and it's the piece from Noah's boat? That would be cewl

Seems to be too small to be a wooden stake. I think the Needful Things guess is a pretty good one. Crossing my fingers.

webstar1000
09-21-2019, 08:32 AM

Seems to be too small to be a wooden stake. I think the Needful Things guess is a pretty good one. Crossing my fingers.

On the king Facebook group they are convinced it’s needful things. Haha

Hunchback Jack
09-21-2019, 09:29 AM
If it is, that would be incredible. Looking forward to the announcement, regardless. I hope it’s an edition available to numbered edition holders.

Randall Flagg
09-21-2019, 09:29 AM

On the king Facebook group they are convinced it’s needful things. Haha

I don't think so.

Brian861
09-21-2019, 09:35 AM
Us non-King trackers will be sweating bullets if it is a King release.

The Library Policeman
09-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Can’t see it being Needful Things unfortunately.

Ben Mears
09-21-2019, 10:30 AM
"...the splinter labelled Petrified Wood From The Holy Land caught her attention at once, and she did not object when Mr. Gaunt took it from its case and dropped it in her hand."

Ben Mears
09-21-2019, 10:40 AM
...I do see the edition that Centipede Press did as a "definitive version", as in "a unique and interesting treatment and if the book never got another S/L I would be happy with this one."
However, I'm just totally enamored with a good small-press treatment of books I love, and Suntup is right on the forefront of that. So to me it matters less that there have been 1 or 5 or 10 prior versions of the book, and more that it is a book I like and that I think Paul could provide a worthy take on.

Agree 100%. That said I can't see Paul wasting a proposal "bullet" pitching 'Salem's Lot when there are so many other deserving SK titles available.

jeffingoff
09-21-2019, 11:23 AM
"...the splinter labelled Petrified Wood From The Holy Land caught her attention at once, and she did not object when Mr. Gaunt took it from its case and dropped it in her hand."

My guess is that Paul is making us guess vampire. And maybe this book has nothing to do with vampires. I’d be over the moon if it were Needful Things. But based on that passage I doubt this is it. There’s blood on this piece of wood. It’s been plunged into something that bleeds.

Kongo
09-21-2019, 11:35 AM

My guess is that Paul is making us guess vampire. And maybe this book has nothing to do with vampires. I’d be over the moon if it were Needful Things. But based on that passage I doubt this is it. There’s blood on this piece of wood. It’s been plunged into something that bleeds.

Damn, would of loved Needful Things. Guess that means it's the Twilight saga

jeffingoff
09-21-2019, 11:36 AM

Obviously they were that one person who was offended when you said 'guys'.

Must be it!

Ben Mears
09-21-2019, 01:12 PM
..based on that passage I doubt this is it. There’s blood on this piece of wood. It’s been plunged into something that bleeds.

Agreed. I thought for sure that Sally Ratcliffe stabbed her rival, Judy Libby, in the eye with the splinter and scoured the book looking for the reference but it was nowhere to be found. Clearly I misremembered.

jeffingoff
09-21-2019, 01:33 PM
..based on that passage I doubt this is it. There’s blood on this piece of wood. It’s been plunged into something that bleeds.

Agreed. I thought for sure that Sally Ratcliffe stabbed her rival, Judy Libby, in the eye with the splinter and scoured the book looking for the reference but it was nowhere to be found. Clearly I misremembered.

I haven't read that once since it was first published. All I remember is the name Leland Gaunt and a plump woman's sex fantasy about Elvis(?) And basically the whole town implodes much like Haven.

Ben Mears
09-21-2019, 03:12 PM

I haven't read that once since it was first published. All I remember is the name Leland Gaunt and a plump woman's sex fantasy about Elvis(?) And basically the whole town implodes much like Haven.

The way SK portrays the town reminds me of 'Salem's Lot but on a grander scale. It's a good story and there are a lot of creative design opportunities that Paul could incorporate. Needful Things has the potential to be a unique and entertaining limited edition.

CyberGhostface
09-21-2019, 03:22 PM

I'd love to see Let the Right One In get a limited edition release.

Br!an
09-22-2019, 08:17 AM
Ordered! :evil:

webstar1000
09-22-2019, 08:37 AM
Ordered! :evil:

Hehe

Joe315
09-22-2019, 10:14 AM
Ordered as well!