PDA

View Full Version : Suntup Editions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

Randall Flagg
08-27-2018, 03:56 PM
So, I think this type of uniform error has to be seen in relative terms and is something collector's need to accept as part of this hobby of ours.
I disagree, Without hearing from Paul what options are available, one can speak for themselves but not for everyone.

Quite frankly it's a simple fix. The expense is the shipping to and from the printer/binder. As long as Paul doesn't get stuck with the cost, it should be fixed for those who wish.

People were pretty adamant about the case discoloration for The Shining:
Rubbing Damage To S/L The Shining (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18134-Rubbing-Damage-To-S-L-The-Shining)

Priest
08-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Rubbing Damage To S/L The Shining (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18134-Rubbing-Damage-To-S-L-The-Shining)

wasnt there another edition that had the unpleasant property to stick together with the book next to "it" on the shelf ?
I cant recall what that was...

lotuz
08-27-2018, 04:04 PM
Are all copies affected, or is there an error variant now? :p

With the numbered, now there are three ink colors for the numbers and now error variants. Man, I feel bad if you are a hardcore completist! :tongue:

WHAT SAY YOU? There are the black and red numbers - what is the other color, and for which books?

Forgive me, I have been avoiding all the pics and unboxing videos until I receive my copy, so this may have been covered in detail before...

PennyUnwise
08-27-2018, 04:10 PM

With the numbered, now there are three ink colors for the numbers and now error variants. Man, I feel bad if you are a hardcore completist! :tongue:

WHAT SAY YOU? There are the black and red numbers - what is the other color, and for which books?

Forgive me, I have been avoiding all the pics and unboxing videos until I receive my copy, so this may have been covered in detail before...

Supposedly initial numbers were in blue and then switched over to black after a certain amount. I have seen one person with blue on here, I believe HunchbackJack.

HONKYTONKSMASH
08-27-2018, 04:13 PM

That is different (IMO) Those copies were damaged(there were/are Fine copies available) while these are more in the production error whoopsadoodle department(seemingly all s/l affected).(Yes i realize that a production error of sorts led to the rubbing issues). If the theoretical fix is indeed easy peazy then sure..that would be great. I imagine it would be much more extensive than that.

Brian861
08-27-2018, 04:18 PM
I say add a note of the error to the catalog and move one. Paul will work with those that need it fix.

Father Cody
08-27-2018, 04:23 PM
As long as Paul doesn't get stuck with the cost, it should be fixed for those who wish.

Shouldn’t the books all be uniform, though? I know my mind is going to spin deciding which route I should take. If everyone was going to have it fixed then the decision would be easy. Same goes if everyone keeps it as is. I just don’t want to have the one that later on is decided to be the inferior variant.

webstar1000
08-27-2018, 04:24 PM

That is different (IMO) Those copies were damaged(there were/are Fine copies available) while these are more in the production error whoopsadoodle department(seemingly all s/l affected).(Yes i realize that a production error of sorts led to the rubbing issues). If the theoretical fix is indeed easy peazy then sure..that would be great. I imagine it would be much more extensive than that.

I agree. This was different. If memory serves me, the issue was corrected half way through shipping to no? Misery was all shipped with the page error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin1958
08-27-2018, 04:42 PM
So, I think this type of uniform error has to be seen in relative terms and is something collector's need to accept as part of this hobby of ours.
I disagree, Without hearing from Paul what options are available, one can speak for themselves but not for everyone.

Quite frankly it's a simple fix. The expense is the shipping to and from the printer/binder. As long as Paul doesn't get stuck with the cost, it should be fixed for those who wish.

I only purchased the AE so I don't know if I have a horse in this race, but generally speaking (FWIW) I'd have to agree with, El Jefe here. That sounds like the prudent way to approach the issue at this point. Another observation is that I think we would all agree that knowing, Paul as we do he will do whatever the right thing to do is. Therefore, before hearing what he has to say after analyzing the situation everything else is just chatter. JMHO

peripheral
08-27-2018, 05:23 PM

I agree, the Shining case is different. That this was the kind of thing I was referring to in my original post - a "structural" kind of error which will degrade the integrity / quality of the book over time.

I disagree, Without hearing from Paul what options are available, one can speak for themselves but not for everyone. [/URL][/B]

Yes, definitely. I had used "personally" and "in my opinion" twice in my original post, but I should have used it again prefixing my last sentence also - all just speaking for myself...

C1TIZEN_X
08-27-2018, 05:29 PM
My copy has the pages misplaced as well.

Br!an
08-27-2018, 05:33 PM

The numbered edition limitation page states that 185 copies are numbered in black and 15 numbered in red.

My copy is numbered in blue.

Father Cody
08-27-2018, 05:37 PM
For the record, my interest in the value of this book, in terms of whether the error or fixed variant will be inferior, does not necessarily imply I’m looking to sell. It would just bug the hell out of me knowing my copy is not the “better one” the same way a NF copy of a first edition bugs me when I know there’s a Fine copy out there and I don’t have it. Value can be intrinsic, too. I imagine I’m not the only one who sees it that way.

lotuz
08-27-2018, 05:52 PM
Supposedly initial numbers were in blue and then switched over to black after a certain amount. I have seen one person with blue on here, I believe HunchbackJack.

The numbered edition limitation page states that 185 copies are numbered in black and 15 numbered in red.

Ah... thanks for the info guys.

My numbered limitation is two digits so I will kindly request that Paul write one number in black and one number in blue and then add a red underline.

And while I'm making requests, can my remarque please be in full color? :belial:

(Also just go ahead and have Barry Moser sign it)

:rose::rose::rose:

Brian861
08-27-2018, 05:52 PM

Another note for the catalog.

PennyUnwise
08-27-2018, 05:53 PM
For the record, my interest in the value of this book, in terms of whether the error or fixed variant will be inferior, does not necessarily imply I’m looking to sell. It would just bug the hell out of me knowing my copy is not the “better one” the same way a NF copy of a first edition bugs me when I know there’s a Fine copy out there and I don’t have it. Value can be intrinsic, too. I imagine I’m not the only one who sees it that way.

Don't be worried about that stuff! Just be content with the copies you have. There is always a better copy out there than yours, one which dust jacket or pages are crisper, cleaner, etc...

zelig
08-27-2018, 06:23 PM
Thanks all for your positive energy today folks! Really means a lot to me. I will be sending an email to NE owners very soon.

The blue ink was my mistake. There's an errata sheet for this if you'd like to download and print for your files. It can be found here (https://suntupeditions.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/36000078650-misery-errata-sheet-blue-ink).

I think I'm going to rest now! Been a long day. Oh, and the Artist Gift Editions will start to ship this week.

Father Cody
08-27-2018, 06:24 PM

Don't be worried about that stuff! Just be content with the copies you have. There is always a better copy out there than yours, one which dust jacket or pages are crisper, cleaner, etc...

Good point! Thanks, PennyUnwise.

MLG
08-27-2018, 07:32 PM
Not sure if it has been determined if the misplaced pages is on all the Limited copies or not but I checked and mine matches those described here.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-27-2018, 11:30 PM
If we’re going to check Misery, we also have to put every other SL, from all publishers, through the same test and scrutiny. My bet is that many of our SLs contain some printing, editing and binding errors.

We do check every S/L from all the publishers and we record the findings in the catalog entry. Suntup's production failures/erratas etc should be accurately recorded just like any other publisher.

That's what make's the catalog the best, and most acurate in the world.

shaq
08-28-2018, 12:13 AM
My initial comparison of the shining was more to point out that if there are issues with books, as a collector we can choose to live with it or not. It is a totally different issue but its more about people reactions.

Keep it, fix it or sell it. Mmm.

No biggy.

herbertwest
08-28-2018, 01:14 AM
In my opinion, given that the books sells for a shy less than 10x the original price (limited edition) / 3 times (lettered), there should not be any reason to concern with that issue.
I understand that this is annoying, especially for Paul... but in the worst case, just sell your copy and you will even make a margin.

Obviously, it may not be the case if the market is suddenly flooded with copies. But still !

stroppygoblin
08-28-2018, 01:57 AM
Thanks all for your positive energy today folks! Really means a lot to me. I will be sending an email to NE owners very soon.

The blue ink was my mistake. There's an errata sheet for this if you'd like to download and print for your files. It can be found here (https://suntupeditions.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/36000078650-misery-errata-sheet-blue-ink).

I think I'm going to rest now! Been a long day. Oh, and the Artist Gift Editions will start to ship this week.

If we’re going to check Misery, we also have to put every other SL, from all publishers, through the same test and scrutiny. My bet is that many of our SLs contain some printing, editing and binding errors.

We do check every S/L from all the publishers and we record the findings in the catalog entry. Suntup's production failures/erratas etc should be accurately recorded just like any other publisher.

That's what make's the catalog the best, and most acurate in the world.

I have updated the Catalog entry to include the information regarding Blue Ink. I will hold off updating anything regarding the misbound pages until Paul makes an official statement.

jeffingoff
08-28-2018, 05:24 AM

I really don't know all the ins and outs and I can only speak for myself. But if I had a NE, I'd keep it exactly as it was shipped. Even if everyone else sent theirs in to have the pages reformatted and rebound. This issue is part of the original Suntup story and getting it "fixed" would change that story. Unless it was a structural issue (like so many of my Grant editions!!!! :onfire:) then I'd leave it. Just my take on it. Of course, I'd be THRILLED to buy any copies that people felt were inferiror.

peripheral
08-28-2018, 06:04 AM
Wouldn’t an official (but optional) publisher fix to these pages technically be a “second state”? Or a “rebound” state? I can’t see how it could be a first state.

jeffingoff
08-28-2018, 06:30 AM
Wouldn’t an official (but optional) publisher fix to these pages technically be a “second state”? Or a “rebound” state? I can’t see how it could be a first state.

Yeah. You said what I meant only much better.

FlyerPhan0826
08-28-2018, 06:48 AM

I really don't know all the ins and outs and I can only speak for myself. But if I had a NE, I'd keep it exactly as it was shipped. Even if everyone else sent theirs in to have the pages reformatted and rebound. This issue is part of the original Suntup story and getting it "fixed" would change that story. Unless it was a structural issue (like so many of my Grant editions!!!! :onfire:) then I'd leave it. Just my take on it. Of course, I'd be THRILLED to buy any copies that people felt were inferiror.Yea I feel the same way. I don't pack shipments as well as Paul does so I'd be terrified that my book would get damaged on it way to be "fixed".

Roseannebarr
08-28-2018, 06:52 AM
Paul. I would not mind paying shipping if it is an easy fix for the printer! I personally would like mine fixed if it it’s easy to do! Sounds like there wouldn’t be too many others that would like the same!

webstar1000
08-28-2018, 07:01 AM
Paul. I would not mind paying shipping if it is an easy fix for the printer! I personally would like mine fixed if it it’s easy to do! Sounds like there wouldn’t be too many others that would like the same!

I have been thinking about this and I think it should be uniform in whatever is decided. I do not think Paul will want his baby in "2 states" as I just read above. I would agree that the majority do not care (as I really don't.. I mean no one would have ever known if not for the chap on FB that reads his limiteds. haha) BUT if some get it done, then I tend to agree they all should be. I do not think Paul will go the route of a choice (but we will know later today according to the man himself) just because it is his 'baby' so to speak. I am anxious to see what he comes up with though. Either way, I PRAY this impacts him at all as it was CLEARLY not his fault but a mistake in the bindrey department. It happens in my shop daily (most times small bindrey errors) and talking with my wife last night... we would be fixing our error to the customers satisfaction. 100%. We both agreed so fingers crossed this other printer will stand by their work.

Randall Flagg
08-28-2018, 08:05 AM
If there is an option to send the book in for the repair, there will be no way to require every single owner to send theirs in. The only way to have them all be the same is to NOT DO the repair, and owners have to live with the mistake. It seems unlikely that everyone would be pleased with that response, thus I'd be shocked if Paul decided to handle the issue that way.

HONKYTONKSMASH
08-28-2018, 08:17 AM
If there is an option to send the book in for the repair, there will be no way to require every single owner to send theirs in. The only way to have them all be the same is to NOT DO the repair, and owners have to live with the mistake. It seems unlikely that everyone would be pleased with that response, thus I'd be shocked if Paul decided to handle the issue that way.

I would venture to guess that the odds of everyone being pleased by whatever the solution may be...will be long
You have the "Not really concerned" camp...and the "Fix mine now" camp
"Way of the road, Bubs" :thumbsup:

stroppygoblin
08-28-2018, 08:22 AM
I've discussed this with a few people, but have decided to make my views known here as well. For clarity, everything below is just my opinion.

There are only 2 options, Fix none or fix all. Not doing this just worsens the problem. Fixing some only introduces more problems for collectors as it creates an immediate differentiation between what is currently a level playing field. There is an immediate impact on the perceived value of both unfixed (lower) and fixed (higher) copies of the book. Right now everyone's book has the same intrinsic value.

So lets look at the options, starting with Fix All.

In order to fix every book, they must all be shipped back to Paul. This means packing and shipping costs, including books that may have to travel halfway round the globe. Now we have 3 options, all of which will impact whether 100% of the books are fixed.

1. Paul covers ALL costs to get the books back and reshipped
2. Paul covers some of the cost
3. Paul covers none of the cost

if 1, I guarantee *everyone* will send their book back. You would be foolish not to. If 2 or 3, then we will have a mixture of people, who can/t/wont pay the amount and wont send the book back, bringing us back to the 2 tier book problem again.
But 1 is a HUGE financial burden for Paul, one which I personally feel is not warranted. There is NO PRECEDENT for a publisher covering costs for a complete run of books to be changed because of a small binding (or for that matter ANY) issue. This is a dangerous precedent to be set. What happens if all this is done and six months down the line, someone finds a typo in the text? Does it all happen again?

What happens if one or more books are lost or damaged in transit? What is the value of the book? Cost price or street price? I doubt very much you could legally justify that you would receive street price for a lost/damaged book. So anyone deciding to return the book to get it fixed is taking a large financial risk.

So lets look at the alternative, No books are fixed. You still have a book that has increased its value by 8 fold. Nothing is missing from the text and if you are one of the few that will actually read the book, are you really going to be put out by having to skip forward 4 or 5 pages and then skip back to keep with the story flow? No?- I didn't think so.

If this issue truly offends you so much that you cannot live with the book in it's current state, then I am 100% certain that you will be offered a complete refund of the money that you have paid for it, which is all that you are entitled to.

At the end of the day, Paul is a businessman who is running a business. It is not good business to have to cover an expensive returns process for what is a minor binding issue. As collectors we should recognise this and just add the binding issue to the list of similar 'incongruities' we revel in in so many other Collectible books.

my 2c.

amd013
08-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Hi Paul,

What about for those of us who got the remarques? There would be no extra shipping back and forth to you in this case.

Its not a huge deal, but since there would be less risk in this case I would be interested in knowing the options, and what risks there are involved with fixing this.

On a side note, I find it interesting that so many people on this site say to remove the shrinkwrap (when one is present) to check for defects or you will not be able to return it if one is found years latter, yet in this case, when one is found, few are interested in fixing it.

Aronstg
08-28-2018, 08:57 AM
I've discussed this with a few people, but have decided to make my views known here as well. For clarity, everything below is just my opinion.

There are only 2 options, Fix none or fix all. Not doing this just worsens the problem. Fixing some only introduces more problems for collectors as it creates an immediate differentiation between what is currently a level playing field. There is an immediate impact on the perceived value of both unfixed (lower) and fixed (higher) copies of the book. Right now everyone's book has the same intrinsic value.

In order to fix every book, they must all be shipped back to Paul. This means packing and shipping costs, including books that may have to travel halfway round the globe. Now we have 3 options, all of which will impact whether 100% of the books are fixed.

if 1, I guarantee *everyone* will send their book back. You would be foolish not to. If 2 or 3, then we will have a mixture of people, who can/t/wont pay the amount and wont send the book back, bringing us back to the 2 tier book problem again.
But 1 is a HUGE financial burden for Paul, one which I personally feel is not warranted. There is NO PRECEDENT for a publisher covering costs for a complete run of books to be changed because of a small binding (or for that matter ANY) issue. This is a dangerous precedent to be set. What happens if all this is done and six months down the line, someone finds a typo in the text? Does it all happen again?

What happens if one or more books are lost or damaged in transit? What is the value of the book? Cost price or street price? I doubt very much you could legally justify that you would receive street price for a lost/damaged book. So anyone deciding to return the book to get it fixed is taking a large financial risk.

So lets look at the alternative, No books are fixed. You still have a book that has increased its value by 8 fold. Nothing is missing from the text and if you are one of the few that will actually read the book, are you really going to be put out by having to skip forward 4 or 5 pages and then skip back to keep with the story flow? No?- I didn't think so.

If this issue truly offends you so much that you cannot live with the book in it's current state, then I am 100% certain that you will be offered a complete refund of the money that you have paid for it, which is all that you are entitled to.

At the end of the day, Paul is a businessman who is running a business. It is not good business to have to cover an expensive returns process for what is a minor binding issue. As collectors we should recognise this and just add the binding issue to the list of similar 'incongruities' we revel in in so many other Collectible books.

my 2c.

Well as RF stated before. #1 is not an option. Even if Paul were to cover the cost to get the books back and reshipped.. I don't know that I would send my copy back... so there is no guarantee.

Also I don't see this as black and white as to only two options. Ultimately Paul is a book publisher. It isn't his duty to manage how the books fair on the secondary market. The best he can do is offer a solution, or not, and go from there. It isn't on his shoulders to come up with this sweeping plan to make sure that all of these books stay consistent in value on a secondary market.

webstar1000
08-28-2018, 08:58 AM
Hi Paul,

What about for those of us who got the remarques? There would be no extra shipping back and forth to you in this case.

Its not a huge deal, but since there would be less risk in this case I would be interested in knowing the options, and what risks there are involved with fixing this.

On a side note, I find it interesting that so many people on this site say to remove the shrinkwrap (when one is present) to check for defects or you will not be able to return it if one is found years latter, yet in this case, when one is found, few are interested in fixing it.

I never heard that before about shrinkwrap... I always was told it was to make sure it did not ruin the dustjacket. OR to see if you had a Whelan remarque in your Little Sisters. haha

Hunchback Jack
08-28-2018, 09:01 AM
I'm happy to let Paul decide what to do; he doesn't need my advice.

If he provides an option to have the book corrected, I will seriously consider doing that, even at my own expense. If he does not, but sends an impeccably-designed errata sheet to numbered owners, I'll be more than happy with that option, too.

HBJ

webstar1000
08-28-2018, 09:02 AM

If he provides an option to have the book corrected, I will seriously consider doing that, even at my own expense. If he does not, but sends an impeccably-designed errata sheet to numbered owners, I'll be more than happy with that option, too.

HBJ

Thats a cool idea about the errata sheet brother....

Roseannebarr
08-28-2018, 09:13 AM
Paul, I love my book. If it is an easy fix, I will pay to ship it back. The binder should fix it. At their cost. The collective does not reflect my opinion. I understand any one can request a refund. If I like my book but if it’s an easy fix. I am all for fixing it. It is NOT my business what others want or care to do about their books. Ps love the professional errata sheet. How about a facsimile signature to go with it?

T-Dogz_AK47
08-28-2018, 09:29 AM
As the printer is at fault for misbinding these books, surely they should bear ALL costs associated to put this right? That is what Liability insurance is for, no?

The printer takes ownership of their mistake, fixes the problem and then claims on their insurance....

PennyUnwise
08-28-2018, 09:32 AM

my 2c.

Well as RF stated before. #1 is not an option. Even if Paul were to cover the cost to get the books back and reshipped.. I don't know that I would send my copy back... so there is no guarantee.

Also I don't see this as black and white as to only two options. Ultimately Paul is a book publisher. It isn't his duty to manage how the books fair on the secondary market. The best he can do is offer a solution, or not, and go from there. It isn't on his shoulders to come up with this sweeping plan to make sure that all of these books stay consistent in value on a secondary market.

I'm with you. My copy is not going back at all. It's the state I got it in and the state it will stay in.

FlyerPhan0826
08-28-2018, 09:59 AM

my 2c.

I'm with you. My copy is not going back at all. It's the state I got it in and the state it will stay in.I'm in this camp as well... I think minor things like this is what makes this type of artwork so awesome

Brian861
08-28-2018, 11:42 AM
I'd definitely purchase a returned copy fixed or no. If a waiting list for these comes to pass, please add me to it :)

vincent
08-28-2018, 11:58 AM
I'd definitely purchase a returned copy fixed or no. If a waiting list for these comes to pass, please add me to it :)

if this is the queue for the waiting list, I'd like to join :-)

jeffingoff
08-28-2018, 12:00 PM

Damnit guys! You're gonna get us all in trouble if you hijack this thread and turn it into an Unofficial Wait List for Returned Numbered Editions of Misery. And put me down as number 3.

Brian861
08-28-2018, 12:05 PM
:rofl: It's still related as the returned product is still a Suntup production :)

scarface
08-28-2018, 12:25 PM

Damnit guys! You're gonna get us all in trouble if you hijack this thread and turn it into an Unofficial Wait List for Returned Numbered Editions of Misery. And put me down as number 3.

And And I am #4!!! :rock:

Father Cody
08-28-2018, 12:28 PM

And And I am #4!!! :rock:

Can I be on the waiting list if I already have one? If so, put me down at #5. :biggrin:

PennyUnwise
08-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Whoever returns their copy over selling it (if they are that broken up about switched pages) would need to go check into an insane asylum.

Father Cody
08-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Whoever returns their copy over selling it (if they are that broken up about switched pages) would need to go check into an insane asylum.

Haha shhhh... just let it happen. :)

jeffingoff
08-28-2018, 12:32 PM

So true. But betting on people doing something crazy is always a safe bet.

PennyUnwise
08-28-2018, 12:33 PM

Haha shhhh... just let it happen. :)

Hey, I dont blame everyone for being hopelessly.... hopeful. It's a beautiful production.

T-Dogz_AK47
08-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Defect or no defect, this book is a work of art and I will enjoy reading it, as all books should be. You will have to prise Misery out of my cold dead hands if you think I will be returning mine for a refund!

Ain't gonna happen boys.... :nope:

Brian861
08-28-2018, 12:40 PM

Would be a Penny Unwise decision indeed!

So true. But betting on people doing something crazy is always a safe bet.

+1

bdwyer19
08-28-2018, 12:50 PM

As one whose book disappeared from the order cart, I would gladly join that waiting list!

Randall Flagg
08-28-2018, 12:54 PM
Please. Enough of the waiting list here in the thread.

Br!an
08-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Hi Paul,

I never heard that before about shrinkwrap... I always was told it was to make sure it did not ruin the dustjacket. OR to see if you had a Whelan remarque in your Little Sisters. haha

To prevent damage to the dustjacket. To check for a bonus remarque. To check if the limitation page is present. To check the limitation page is signed. To check if the number/letter on the limitation page is correct. To check for damage to the book such as glue that made pages stick together. To check if the page block is bound right side up in the boards. To check if it is a first printing.

I could keep going. There are plenty of reasons to inspect a book upon purchase.

Father Cody
08-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Hi Paul,

To prevent damage to the dustjacket. To check for a bonus remarque. To check if the limitation page is present. To check the limitation page is signed. To check if the number/letter on the limitation page is correct. To check for damage to the book such as glue that made pages stick together. To check if the page block is bound right side up in the boards. To check if it is a first printing.

I could keep going. There are plenty of reasons to inspect a book upon purchase.

Not to mention mold. Happened to me recently. I left the shrink wrap on for roughly six months. Learned about the possibility of mold and opened it up to check. What do ya know! Spores everywhere on the boards and inside of the jacket. I damaged the jacket in the process of cleaning it.

lotuz
08-28-2018, 01:39 PM
Ultimately Paul is a book publisher. It isn't his duty to manage how the books fair on the secondary market. The best he can do is offer a solution, or not, and go from there. It isn't on his shoulders to come up with this sweeping plan to make sure that all of these books stay consistent in value on a secondary market.

I think this is a great point - it's not on Paul to worry about the secondary market, it's on him to make decisions that (a) he is comfortable with, and (b) keep his customers happy.

We know from this thread that there are people who would prefer to have theirs fixed, and people who wouldn't. There is no win/win here - some customers will be happier if there is no option to fix the book (for reasons that Simon outlined), and others will be happier if there is. Fortunately, Paul has earned an incredible amount of good will as a publisher, so although he has an unenviable decision to make, I don't think that it will ultimately affect his reputation or sales.

EDIT: In any event, the blue/black ink difference is enough to perturb the market for some collectors (what a crazy lot we all are), and that cat is already out of the bag.

EDIT 2: It's got to be crazy for Paul to have a thread devoted to discussion/speculation/suggestions about his books, and have to keep a tight lip about everything. I hope that it's useful in some regard, to at least have an idea of what the collecting community is thinking - even it it's divergent and full of contradictory preferences...

The Library Policeman
08-28-2018, 01:50 PM
I don’t really care about the page issue. I haven’t even bothered to check mine.

webstar1000
08-28-2018, 02:12 PM
Hi Paul,

Not to mention mold. Happened to me recently. I left the shrink wrap on for roughly six months. Learned about the possibility of mold and opened it up to check. What do ya know! Spores everywhere on the boards and inside of the jacket. I damaged the jacket in the process of cleaning it.

Was that one of the Ones from Winters and Sons?

Father Cody
08-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Hi Paul,

Sure was. It’s possible I bought it with mold already inside. Last time I buy something that old still in shrink wrap.

webstar1000
08-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Hi Paul,

Sure was. It’s possible I bought it with mold already inside. Last time I buy something that old still in shrink wrap.

I heard many had that issue. They talked about it on the Rare Group awhile ago.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-28-2018, 02:45 PM

HBJ

Not very professional for the first and flagship book from Suntup Editions.

FlyerPhan0826
08-28-2018, 02:55 PM
I don’t really care about the page issue. I haven’t even bothered to check mine.Same here... Book looks great on the shelf regardless of what order the pages are in :)

webstar1000
08-28-2018, 03:44 PM

HBJ

That’s just a mean spirited thing to say man. Paul is a friend to many on this board and an awesome person. No need dude.... no need.

peripheral
08-28-2018, 03:59 PM

The concept of "professionalism" (like most everything, I imagine) is not an all-or-nothing idea - it's multifaceted, comprised of a broad range of variables. Where one publisher falls short on one of these 'professionalism variables', it can also exceed on another, say, 72 'professionalism variables'. It's oversimplifies things to say someone is not very professional based upon one (or a few) variables. To quote the book title of one of my favourite science writers, Ben Goldcare, "I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that."

On your other point, I'd actually imagine the first and flagship book for any publisher may be the very book you could reasonably expect to be the most challenging and error-prone - the publisher is new at the game. So, looking at Misery (in totality), remembering it's the first Suntup publication, and then comparing this to other publishers who have been in the game for a decade or more, I personally see that other publishers are being put on notice to lift their game - and soon.

Randall Flagg
08-28-2018, 04:07 PM

HBJ

Alan, that was a bit uncalled for. Are you referring to the fact that the binder screwed up, or the idea of an errata sheet, Suntup itself, or something(s) else.

bdwyer19
08-28-2018, 04:59 PM

HBJ

Alan, that was a bit uncalled for. Are you referring to the fact that the binder screwed up, or the idea of an errata sheet, Suntup itself, or something(s) else.

I don't have a horse in this race, as I don't own the Misery S/L. But, at what point is the distinction made between a friend and a publisher? Paul is a great guy, but he is also running a business. As a customer of the business, there are certain expectations that must be met. So, if someone wants to say that Paul is a good friend, more power to them. On the other hand, if someone else wants to call out Suntup Press because they were let down by something, there is nothing wrong with that either.

Randall Flagg
08-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Mistakes can and do happen. Professionalism is in how one handles problems. Look no further than NRB to see unprofessional handling. It's also not cool to call out Suntup because you were "let down", when in fact you don't "have a horse in this race". How can you be let down, if you (or someone else making a disparaging remark) don't even have the book? Certainly anyone (this is the internet) can render an opinion.

Brian861
08-28-2018, 05:20 PM

But it's ok to go on for 100+ post (give or take) regarding the binding issue :confused: If that's not the definition of ad nauseam (:deadhorse:), I don't know what is.....

HONKYTONKSMASH
08-28-2018, 05:22 PM

HBJ

I don't have a horse in this race, as I don't own the Misery S/L. But, at what point is the distinction made between a friend and a publisher? Paul is a great guy, but he is also running a business. As a customer of the business, there are certain expectations that must be met. So, if someone wants to say that Paul is a good friend, more power to them. On the other hand, if someone else wants to call out Suntup Press because they were let down by something, there is nothing wrong with that either.

Good thing Paul is a great publisher as well then. I get the disgruntlement of the masses..to me personally its a damn minor issue...stepping in here, one would think someone received a Koontz book in Misery’s stead...

lotuz
08-28-2018, 05:23 PM
On your other point, I'd actually imagine the first and flagship book for any publisher may be the very book you could reasonably expect to be the most challenging and error-prone - the publisher is new at the game.

Here is the errata sheet for Centipede Press's first release, Stigmata:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/984/medium/IMG_72381.jpg

Paul's in pretty good company 8)

It's hard to make out in this pic, but this errata sheet also contains an error :doh:

Randall Flagg
08-28-2018, 05:24 PM
Suntup has sent out an email detailing the issue and how Paul thinks it's best to proceed.

peripheral
08-28-2018, 05:24 PM

I don't think anyone's suggesting Suntup is beyond criticism or from discussion of shortcomings (you have to take the praise with the criticism), but there are different ways to communicate it: Some more accurate, some fairer, etc etc...

bdwyer19
08-28-2018, 05:26 PM
Mistakes can and do happen. Professionalism is in how one handles problems. Look no further than NRB to see unprofessional handling. It's also not cool to call out Suntup because you were "let down", when in fact you don't "have a horse in this race". How can you be let down, if you (or someone else making a disparaging remark) don't even have the book? Certainly anyone (this is the internet) can render an opinion.

Yep, I definitely agree with that. Although, for the record, I never called out Suntup nor said I was let down. Hard to be let down by something I don't own!

peripheral
08-28-2018, 05:26 PM
And... Email sent. Crisis Over.

Randall Flagg
08-28-2018, 05:30 PM

But it's ok to go on for 100+ post (give or take) regarding the binding issue :confused: If that's not the definition of ad nauseam (:deadhorse:), I don't know what is.....

Please refer to 1(C), and 4(A) of the FAQ's. (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/faq.php?faq=forum_posting_guidelines#faq_forums)

Discussing the pagination problem is quite different than numerous "add me to the list" posts.

WeDealInLead
08-28-2018, 05:32 PM

HBJ

That’s just a mean spirited thing to say man. Paul is a friend to many on this board and an awesome person. No need dude.... no need.

Pete from PS Publishing posts here too and is a friend to some. That doesn't stop you from constantly posting negative comments about PS. Is there a post per day quota he needs to make so you can stop saying you "hate" whatever it was you complained about last time?

This isn't even about Suntup and Mr. RT. It's about a double standard. Just something to keep in mind.

webstar1000
08-28-2018, 05:34 PM

HBJ

Pete from PS Publishing posts here too and is a friend to some. That doesn't stop you from constantly posting negative comments about PS. Is there a post per day quota he needs to make so you can stop saying you "hate" whatever it was you complained about last time?

This isn't even about Suntup and Mr. RT. It's about a double standard. Just something to keep in mind.

Little difference here. I may not like those books... and may like Paul’s more yes. But I surely wouldn’t say he should be embarrassed about any of them.

WeDealInLead
08-28-2018, 05:39 PM
This wasn't about the quality or lack of. This is about your own lack of decorum when discussing other publishers.

And for the record, yes, I also think Mr. RT's comment was a blow below the belt. Shit happens.

wolfehr
08-28-2018, 05:52 PM
Kudos on the email Paul. I thought it was incredibly professional and classy. It’s obvious how hard you worked to create these books and how much you care, so I’m sorry something out of your control created a “flaw”. I would like to add my name to the list of people that feels it’s insignificant; I wasn’t planning to read it anyway and it in no way reduces my enjoyment in owning it.

Accolades on a masterful production!

webstar1000
08-28-2018, 06:04 PM
This wasn't about the quality or lack of. This is about your own lack of decorum when discussing other publishers.

And for the record, yes, I also think Mr. RT's comment was a blow below the belt. Shit happens.

But we are not talking about my decorum... we are talking about Alan’s. Feel free to go to the PS thread and discuss mine. I need work on it I know. But this isn’t about me...

_PCC_
08-28-2018, 06:14 PM
I don’t think I have the error. What pages are supposed to be between 266 and 267?

wolfehr
08-28-2018, 06:17 PM
I don’t think I have the error. What pages are supposed to be between 266 and 267?

226, 231-234, 227

_PCC_
08-28-2018, 06:40 PM
Ok, great. The errata itself is wrong! The errata says between pages 266 and 267! Yes I have pages out of order between 226 and 227. Can we get an updated errata sheet?

Roseannebarr
08-28-2018, 06:53 PM
I hope the printer is giving Paul some kind of financial restitution! I think Kris mentioned above that his company would make it right! And someone else mentioned insurance!

Lurker
08-28-2018, 07:04 PM
On your other point, I'd actually imagine the first and flagship book for any publisher may be the very book you could reasonably expect to be the most challenging and error-prone - the publisher is new at the game.

Here is the errata sheet for Centipede Press's first release, Stigmata:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/984/medium/IMG_72381.jpg

Paul's in pretty good company 8)

It's hard to make out in this pic, but this errata sheet also contains an error :doh:

More than one...

zelig
Ok, great. The errata itself is wrong! The errata says between pages 266 and 267! Yes I have pages out of order between 226 and 227. Can we get an updated errata sheet?

It was incorrect for a few minutes but the file has been replaced. If you click on the link and download the file, you will have the updated sheet.

_PCC_
I still think the book is amazing.

Father Cody
08-28-2018, 07:44 PM

It was incorrect for a few minutes but the file has been replaced. If you click on the link and download the file, you will have the updated sheet.

I want that first state errata sheet! Who’s got one?

Hunchback Jack
08-28-2018, 08:09 PM

This thread is officially out of control. Get a grip, people. :P

Father Cody
08-28-2018, 08:18 PM
This thread is officially out of control. Get a grip, people. :P

Hey I just got here! And I was kidding. Sort of.

zelig
08-28-2018, 08:51 PM
Not to interrupt this spirited discussion, but this was fun and I thought I would share it with you. The other day I was over at the factory where they make the foam inserts, and I was watching how they make them. This was the actual run they were working on for the Artist Gift Editions. Ever wonder what hundreds of foam inserts look like? Well, wonder no more. Oh, and as far as I could tell, there were no foam variants.

http://suntup.press/making-the-foam-inserts-video/ (http://suntup.press/making-the-foam-inserts-video/)

Father Cody
08-28-2018, 08:55 PM
I wish I could think of a pun about foam right now.

Priest
08-28-2018, 11:40 PM

Give that man a cookie [emoji4]

And btw if somebody considers the refound option , call me first I do have a deal for you :)

shaq
08-28-2018, 11:51 PM

The single most funniest thing i have read on the site ever.

You're not joking???

Well looks like you have the condition 'Collectivitus!' No cure.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-28-2018, 11:57 PM

I am a professional in my work. I check everything, twice.

There are several "flaws" that should have been picked up at the "QA/QC" stage by the publisher. The blame is not with the binder, but the person who signed off on their work.

The Blue ink was not the binder. The mistake on the errata sheet was not the binder.

Slow down and produce a product the buyer's expected. Many have never paid so much for a book before.

herbertwest
08-29-2018, 12:52 AM
Suntup has sent out an email detailing the issue and how Paul thinks it's best to proceed.

Any chance to share it?
I didnt bought the book, unfortunately, but I am intrigued by what does the email says?

Jimimck
08-29-2018, 01:15 AM

There are several "flaws" that should have been picked up at the "QA/QC" stage by the publisher. The blame is not with the binder, but the person who signed off on their work.

The Blue ink was not the binder. The mistake on the errata sheet was not the binder.

Slow down and produce a product the buyer's expected. Many have never paid so much for a book before.

Seriously? Even with these flaws, comments from people who actually have one indicate it has more than surpassed expectations.

herbertwest
08-29-2018, 01:25 AM

Any chance to share it?
I didnt bought the book, unfortunately, but I am intrigued by what does the email says?

I now read it, thanks

webstar1000
08-29-2018, 01:31 AM

Seriously? Even with these flaws, comments from people who actually have one indicate it has more than surpassed expectations.

He doesn’t have one though... and has expressed his displeasure numerous times.
I guess since it’s so bad it’s one book Mr Trick will never own. I for one am still doing the dance of joy:)

Cook
08-29-2018, 05:39 AM

"I'm a professional at my work"
Is this printed on your nametag at work or the one you wear at home in front of the computer?
I'll also bet you know exactly to the centimeter how long the stick is that's up your ass.
Seriously, can you be any more anal retentive.

St. Troy
08-29-2018, 05:49 AM

Gone a bit soft, have you?

(that's what she said)

jeffingoff
08-29-2018, 05:52 AM

Foam, sweet foam.

Father Cody
08-29-2018, 06:02 AM
Gone a bit soft, have you?

A double pun! Well done, sir. :clap:

Foam, sweet foam.

Ha! Beautiful. :clap:

Patrick
08-29-2018, 06:50 AM
Not to interrupt this spirited discussion, but this was fun and I thought I would share it with you. The other day I was over at the factory where they make the foam inserts, and I was watching how they make them. This was the actual run they were working on for the Artist Gift Editions. Ever wonder what hundreds of foam inserts look like? Well, wonder no more. Oh, and as far as I could tell, there were no foam variants.

http://suntup.press/making-the-foam-inserts-video/ (http://suntup.press/making-the-foam-inserts-video/)
I never thought about how manually intensive the process is just to come up with the packaging - and that’s not even the product itself. Cool video. Thanks for sharing. And thank you for the awesome protection for our purchases.

MikeDuke
08-29-2018, 06:55 AM
That was a very neat video. It's amazing how many different moving parts it takes to get a book to the people who bought one.

Ari_Racing
08-29-2018, 07:37 AM
I loved the video. :)

Beverly Marsh
08-29-2018, 07:39 AM
Very PROFESSIONAL email sent Paul and thank you.
I, for one, will most definitely not be returning Misery nor would I have mailed it back to be fixed if that were an option. I like it just the way it is :)
Anyone that does decide to return, well that's your choice. And your loss.

Also, that video was soaper duper! :doh:

St. Troy
08-29-2018, 07:43 AM

Nice video.

Care to share the technology with Folio Society? (Those with the FS Shining may get the joke, which is: FS crafts beautiful books, but does a shit job packing/protecting them.)

ICry4Oy
08-29-2018, 08:57 AM
The "flaw" in the Misery s/l does not bother me in the slightest. I still love the book and will make sure it goes to my grave with me.

For shits and giggles I checked and have the black ink number and SK signed in blue.

Again, I LOVE this book!

webstar1000
08-29-2018, 09:00 AM
The "flaw" in the Misery s/l does not bother me in the slightest. I still love the book and will make sure it goes to my grave with me.

For shits and giggles I checked and have the black ink number and SK signed in blue.

Again, I LOVE this book!

The number in blue thing was up to around 50 copies I think.. then to 185 in black and then to 200 in red. YES I LOVE THIS BOOK TO!!

Priest
08-29-2018, 09:05 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/2gten1.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/2gten1)

Oh and yes - it’s the envy in me that speeks this days :)

MikeDuke
08-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Gift ed are on their way. But everyone knew that anyway :)

racerx45
08-29-2018, 10:21 AM

Again, I LOVE this book!

The number in blue thing was up to around 50 copies I think.. then to 185 in black and then to 200 in red. YES I LOVE THIS BOOK TO!!

Not that it really matters in my opinion but, my book (#93) is black ink. The highest number I have seen in blue was #68. The OCD in me whishes 1-92.5 were blue and then up to 185 in black.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/Misery_numbered_limitation_page.JPG

zelig
08-29-2018, 04:18 PM
First batch of remarqued books are in. They look wonderful! Will try to get these turned around and shipped out tomorrow. No sleep for me. ;-) Please note there are three batches, so the rest will follow soon.

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/IMG_9893.jpg

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/IMG_6467.jpg

http://suntup.press/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/IMG_9763.jpg

Br!an
08-29-2018, 04:26 PM

Yep, I definitely agree with that. Although, for the record, I never called out Suntup nor said I was let down. Hard to be let down by something I don't own!

He must have misread it. :orely:

Jimimck
08-29-2018, 04:43 PM
Love the typewriter remarque. The splash of colour sets it off really well.

bdwyer19
08-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Love the typewriter remarque. The splash of colour sets it off really well.

Definitely! My favorite as well. The drops of blood are outstanding.

Hunchback Jack
08-29-2018, 07:26 PM
Wow, those Remarques are incredible. For some reason, I missed that they were full page. That's fantastic.

peripheral
08-29-2018, 08:55 PM
They look brilliant. Clearly spent time on them, detail is impressive...

webstar1000
08-30-2018, 01:48 AM
Man that typewriter is amazing!! My fav for sure

MikeDuke
08-30-2018, 08:46 AM
Those remarques look really good. IF I had the book and if I were choosing, I admit it would be a difficult choice between her swinging the ax and the typewriter.

o45deuce
08-30-2018, 08:58 AM
I went with the swinging axe but I agree, the blood splotches really make that typewriter remarque stand out.

lotuz
08-30-2018, 09:46 AM
It was a really tough choice but I went with the typewriter, as it was so central to the theme that Paul put together for the book. I'm glad I did, but all three remarques are just amazing and I think everyone will be happy with what they chose.

It's been a looooooooooooooooooong month waiting to see the book in person, and trying to avoid all the pictures. I haven't been perfect about it and I know about some of the extras, but I'm still chomping at the bit to see the full package!!

I just got my shipping confirmation and it's going to make it really, really hard to concentrate today... :panic::panic::panic:

Father Cody
08-30-2018, 10:20 AM
I just got my shipping confirmation and it's going to make it really, really hard to concentrate today... :panic::panic::panic:

I can relate. I practically took the day off when it was arriving.

Father Cody
08-30-2018, 12:45 PM
You guys see this yet?

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/film-and-tv-the-haunting-of-hill-house-hits-netflix-on-friday-it-looks-scary-af-20180829

jeffingoff
08-30-2018, 12:57 PM
You guys see this yet?

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/film-and-tv-the-haunting-of-hill-house-hits-netflix-on-friday-it-looks-scary-af-20180829

I thought this was hilarious:
"Oh, and he's also the man tasked with bringing Doctor Sleep, the One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest sequel, to the screen next year."

Also, Josh Malerman shared this list from Paste Magazine on Facebook. Check out where Hill House lands:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/08/the-best-horror-novels-of-all-time.html

Seems to be a fine time for a new fine edition (or two).

webstar1000
08-30-2018, 02:34 PM
You guys see this yet?

Someone posted it a week or so ago. I think it looks great and perfect timing for Paul’s release!

lotuz
08-30-2018, 02:37 PM
Jerad at Centipede Press did a long-running feature in his newsletter where he asked contributors he worked with (authors, artists, editors) to name their top 20 horror novels. HHH was on every single list, and almost always in the top 3. He did a tally at the very end where he picked the top 100 titles that were given across all the lists, and HHH was a clear #1.

The full top 5 were:

5. The Exorcist
4. Something Wicked This Way Comes
3. The Shining
2. I Am Legend
1. The Haunting of Hill House

webstar1000
08-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Jerad at Centipede Press did a long-running feature in his newsletter where he asked contributors he worked with (authors, artists, editors) to name their top 20 horror novels. HHH was on every single list, and almost always in the top 3. He did a tally at the very end where he picked the top 100 titles that were given across all the lists, and HHH was a clear #1.

The full top 5 were:

5. The Exorcist
3. The Shining
2. I Am Legend

Man I have to read the Haunting then... I have not.

Merlin1958
08-30-2018, 05:07 PM
You guys see this yet?

You guys see this yet?

"Oh, and he's also the man tasked with bringing Doctor Sleep, the One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest sequel, to the screen next year."

Also, Josh Malerman shared this list from Paste Magazine on Facebook. Check out where Hill House lands:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/08/the-best-horror-novels-of-all-time.html

You guys see this yet?

Someone posted it a week or so ago. I think it looks great and perfect timing for Paul’s release!

The full top 5 were:

5. The Exorcist
3. The Shining
2. I Am Legend

Man I have to read the Haunting then... I have not.

I must be missing something here. I checked Netflix and there is nothing listed about this being available, at least in the U.S., this weekend. Plus, that trailer looks like nothing but a video game. I was kinda pumped to see this, but it don't look like we can, at least not in the U.S. I don't know what the deal is with that trailer.

Kris, yeah I'd make it a point to read HHH not only is it a great read, but it's what? An $11k book for you right now, no? lol

Father Cody
08-30-2018, 05:14 PM
I must be missing something here. I checked Netflix and there is nothing listed about this being available, at least in the U.S., this weekend. Plus, that trailer looks like nothing but a video game. I was kinda pumped to see this, but it don't look like we can, at least not in the U.S. I don't know what the deal is with that trailer.

I haven’t checked Netflix yet but that does seem strange. Maybe they just aren’t promoting it yet?

jsweet
08-30-2018, 05:22 PM

I haven’t checked Netflix yet but that does seem strange. Maybe they just aren’t promoting it yet?

This article (https://ew.com/tv/2018/08/27/the-haunting-of-hill-house-premiere-date-first-look/)says it debuts Oct. 12

Merlin1958
08-30-2018, 05:45 PM
You guys see this yet?

You guys see this yet?

You guys see this yet?

This article (https://ew.com/tv/2018/08/27/the-haunting-of-hill-house-premiere-date-first-look/)says it debuts Oct. 12

Okay, that makes sense. Have to wait until, Oct. So, Cody was guilty of premature postulation!!! lol

Father Cody
08-30-2018, 05:48 PM
So, Cody was guilty of premature postulation!!! lol

It happens to the best of us. Or so my first girlfriend said, at least. [emoji51]

amd013
08-30-2018, 07:09 PM

Kris, yeah I'd make it a point to read HHH not only is it a great read, but it's what? An $11k book for you right now, no? lol

Yeah, I had the exact same thought about the trailer. It was less then impressive. Also whats with the photo of a guy driving children? Doesn't seem related to the story at all.

Merlin1958
08-30-2018, 07:17 PM
You guys see this yet?

You guys see this yet?

You guys see this yet?

Yeah, I had the exact same thought about the trailer. It was less then impressive. Also whats with the photo of a guy driving children? Doesn't seem related to the story at all.

Check, Jsweet link. All becomes clear. The still is an early release pic.

firemonkey66
08-30-2018, 10:12 PM
It's amazing how much you miss when you're without internet for a few days! My wife and I moved into a new house on Saturday, but due to poor planning on our behalf, we didn't have internet or cable until Thursday. And with poor cell phone reception in our area, I only caught glimpses of what has been going on here. Now that I'm all caught up reading the thread, I'm going to throw in my 2 cents:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah123/tony8379/DA9910FC-7364-40E6-926D-986110B66C81_zpszpcv8v1x.jpeg

:biggrin:

Father Cody
08-30-2018, 10:14 PM
Wow! That looks amazing dude. Who makes that display case?

firemonkey66
08-30-2018, 10:21 PM

It's an old metal medical/apothecary cabinet. It's usually filled with old glass bottles, mortars/pestles, and other things of that sort that my wife collects, but seeing as how all that stuff hasn't been unpacked yet, I thought I would repurpose it:)

Father Cody
08-30-2018, 11:46 PM

It's an old metal medical/apothecary cabinet. It's usually filled with old glass bottles, mortars/pestles, and other things of that sort that my wife collects, but seeing as how all that stuff hasn't been unpacked yet, I thought I would repurpose it:)

That’s great. Wife’s a collector too huh? Well done :)

Brian861
08-31-2018, 12:56 AM

Gorgeous display, Anthony!

bdwyer19
08-31-2018, 02:40 AM
It's amazing how much you miss when you're without internet for a few days! My wife and I moved into a new house on Saturday, but due to poor planning on our behalf, we didn't have internet or cable until Thursday. And with poor cell phone reception in our area, I only caught glimpses of what has been going on here. Now that I'm all caught up reading the thread, I'm going to throw in my 2 cents:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah123/tony8379/DA9910FC-7364-40E6-926D-986110B66C81_zpszpcv8v1x.jpeg

Awesome display! Keep the books there, and find a new spot for your wife’s collection!!

MikeDuke
08-31-2018, 05:20 AM
Man those look great and a wonderful display as well. They look awesome. Congrats.

Jimimck
08-31-2018, 06:44 AM
One of the nicest displays for the two editions I've seen so far. Very cool.

jeffingoff
08-31-2018, 06:49 AM

No doubt! Works of art and historical King artifacts get a worthy home.

wolfehr
08-31-2018, 08:10 AM

No doubt! Works of art and historical King artifacts get a worthy home.

Completely agree! Looks like a museum display.

jeffingoff
08-31-2018, 08:13 AM
Got my shipping notice today for the Artist Gift Edition! VERY thrilled. Everyone remembers their first Suntup!

Hunchback Jack
08-31-2018, 08:23 AM

Great display, Anthony - particularly the Lettered! Congratulations.

MikeDuke
08-31-2018, 08:36 AM
Got my shipping notice today for the Artist Gift Edition! VERY thrilled. Everyone remembers their first Suntup!
Congrats. I sure it will be awesome.

Father Cody
08-31-2018, 01:30 PM

Did you get the Artist Edition, Mike?

MikeDuke
08-31-2018, 03:08 PM

Did you get the Artist Edition, Mike?
No I did not Adam. Dumb move on my part. I will probably eBay it though (or some other way) so at least I have every book I can get in the Suntup lineup . I don't want to start with the second book.
But I am glad that I bought Hill House.

becca69
08-31-2018, 03:44 PM
Bookmint has them at the cheapest price I've seen aftermarket:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUY-IT-NOW-175-Stephen-King-MISERY-Suntup-Edition-Artist-Edition-mint/202419262384?hash=item2f2120d3b0:g:DHwAAOSwxyJbhtV e

MikeDuke
08-31-2018, 04:35 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUY-IT-NOW-175-Stephen-King-MISERY-Suntup-Edition-Artist-Edition-mint/202419262384?hash=item2f2120d3b0:g:DHwAAOSwxyJbhtV e
Thanks Becca. I hardly (never) buy on eBay. Do you need a paypal account or can I just hit Buy it now and use a CC.

Ben Mears
08-31-2018, 04:54 PM

It appears that the front casing of the artist/gift edition includes the title stamped to look like Royal Glass typewriter keys. If that observation is accurate it is a nice touch.

Aronstg
08-31-2018, 05:02 PM

The artist/gift edition as shown in that link looks very nice. It appears that the front casing includes the title stamped to look like Royal Glass typewriter keys. If that observation is accurate it is a nice touch.

It looks great. This is the first I've seen of the Gift Edition and honestly I thought the slipcase art was going to be the DJ. That DJ is beautiful!!

FlyerPhan0826
08-31-2018, 05:02 PM

Thanks Becca. I hardly (never) buy on eBay. Do you need a paypal account or can I just hit Buy it now and use a CC.I really wasn't trying to pick one of these up since I blew my book budget on a numbered... But this thing looks gorgeous. Needless to say, I bought one :)

And Mike, I was able to pay with CC instead of paypal

Ricky
08-31-2018, 05:35 PM
Thanks for posting that, Becca! I just bought one. I missed out on all editions of Misery during the pre-order phase, so am thrilled to be getting the gift edition. I'm not a gift edition collector, but this is probably the best I've ever seen for any gift edition of any book (it's nice enough to be the limited, in my opinion).

Aronstg, I also thought the gift edition slipcase art was going to be the DJ. Now, seeing all the pics. of the edition (and seeing that's not the case), I'm super happy to be getting a copy. It looks so much better than I pictured it in my head.

Ben Staad
09-01-2018, 07:14 AM
Gorgeous looking book. Out of my range but it's stunning.

The Library Policeman
09-01-2018, 07:26 AM
Yeah that looks beautiful. Didn’t realise it was slipcased.

Roseannebarr
09-01-2018, 07:58 AM
Still curious as to the book binders responsibility in all this! Does Paul get a big refund? Do they apologize and say oops? If I was them I would be EMBARRASSED

zelig
09-01-2018, 09:08 AM
Still curious as to the book binders responsibility in all this! Does Paul get a big refund? Do they apologize and say oops? If I was them I would be EMBARRASSED

The owner of the company couldn’t apologize enough. He felt terrible. But let’s try put this mishap behind us. Some exciting things coming up.

MikeDuke
09-01-2018, 09:38 AM
Guess what I just bought :excited:. Even though I missed out on S\L, I wanted to have the first book put out by Paul. Because I know in a year I will be kicking myself for not having the first book that kicked off this train ride.
I am fine with it being a GE. It still looks wonderful. And the title with the keys is still very cool.
In the confirmation email do you have set a password. It asked me too, but the page went no where. It looks as though everything is good. Maybe that's a password for his site?

FlyerPhan0826
09-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Guess what I just bought :excited:. Even though I missed out on S\L, I wanted to have the first book put out by Paul. Because I know in a year I will be kicking myself for not having the first book that kicked of this train ride.
I am fine with it being a GE. It still looks wonderful. And the title with the keys is still very cool.
In the confirmation email do you have set a password. It asked me too, but the page went no where. It looks as though everything is good. Maybe that's a password for his site?Congrats... I did get a follow up email directly from George but as long as the order is showing in eBay you should be good

biomieg
09-01-2018, 10:52 AM
I also got a confirmation mail from George, saying that he’d follow up with the tracking # soon.

vincent
09-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Same here, reply from George. I found it in my spam folder.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

MikeDuke
09-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Yea, I got an email from him confirming the order. Am excited to get this. And to see what Paul has in the future.

Br!an
09-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Glad to see so many members getting a decent deal for what is bound to be a very fine edition. :evil:

shaq
09-01-2018, 01:01 PM
I just bought one too.

Gutted I didn’t get one originally. My own own fault. But have one now.

Father Cody
09-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Glad to see so many members getting a decent deal for what is bound to be a very fine edition. :evil:

Ah, yes, we’re on the same page.[emoji108]

FlyerPhan0826
09-01-2018, 04:08 PM
I just bought one too.

Gutted I didn’t get one originally. My own own fault. But have one now.I feel the same way. After seeing the pics I just had to have one

Hunchback Jack
09-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Guess what I just bought :excited:. Even though I missed out on S\L, I wanted to have the first book put out by Paul. Because I know in a year I will be kicking myself for not having the first book that kicked off this train ride.
In the confirmation email do you have set a password. It asked me too, but the page went no where. It looks as though everything is good. Maybe that's a password for his site?

Congrats, Mike. I have to say, the key motif on the Gift edition boards really makes that edition something special. I can't wait to see mine, and I'll bet you'll love yours!

Father Cody
09-01-2018, 09:21 PM
I have to say, the key motif on the Gift edition boards really makes that edition something special.

Couldn’t agree more. The keys on the LE are the most impressive thing about all three of these books, IMO. It’s nice to know I’ll get to experience a semblance of that feature with the AE.

MikeDuke
09-02-2018, 05:48 AM
I mean the whole package, including the keys makes this a very cool book overall. Even though I was late to the party, I am glad I got one.

MikeDuke
09-02-2018, 08:04 AM
I think mine should be shipped next week :smile:

Father Cody
09-02-2018, 10:34 AM
I think mine should be shipped next week :smile:

Awesome man! Congrats for getting one.

herbertwest
09-03-2018, 12:42 AM
wow, bookmint had 25 copies? no wonder they sold at this price!

Brian861
09-04-2018, 04:34 PM
wow, bookmint had 25 copies? no wonder they sold at this price!

Sold out.

Ben Mears
09-04-2018, 04:54 PM
Received the gift edition today and it is very well done. Not a fan of the art but the interior design, paper stock and font are very pleasing to the eye and fingertips. The foil stamped title made to look like Royal Glass typewriter keys on the front cover is a nice touch. All in all a classy edition. On a side note Paul's packaging for this book was superb.

WeDealInLead
09-04-2018, 05:21 PM
I ordered this from a PayPal account that I've since closed. The address is still the same. Am I good? The address is in Port Huron, MI and has SCC in it.

zelig
09-04-2018, 07:14 PM
Things have just started to return to normal (if you can call it that) here at Suntup HQ. The last batch of GE orders shipped out today! All done.

amd013
09-04-2018, 07:18 PM
Just got my numbered version of Misery with a remarque today. Never seen so much detail but into the packaging and extra's not to mention the book itself (even has instructions on how to open the traycase LOL).

Sorry if some of the comments/questions have already been stated ad nauseam already but I have been skimming and being careful reading this thread for the last 2 or 3 weeks since I didn't want to spoil all the surprises. In case there are still a few more people who haven't received theirs yet and they want it to be a surprise, I will put some of my comments/questions in spoilers.

Due to all the comments about the book, I spent more time examining the text then I normally would for a limited edition.

Really loved how you changed the chapter headings to look like type writter keys. Its fascinating to note, how the shift value for some of the numbers has changed compared to a modern computer keyboard.

I noticed that you were able to use the same "font" used for the letter's n,t,e in the original. I see that there were 3 or more variations for the letter n (not counting capital N).

I noticed that the "font" used for chapter 28 in book III was not the same as in the 1st/1st hardcover. How does this work regarding to custom fonts? Do you have to license them? Were they unwilling to give them to you, or did you feel a different font was better?

Loved the blood splatter on the page where the foot is chopped off. Were there other special effects like this that I missed?

Has there been any thoughts to a portfolio for the book? Would think it would be ironic if one wasn't done, since a previous portfolio was a requirement for early ordering and number matching for the numbered/lettered editions of this book.

As everyone else has stated (except one member), JOB WELL DONE!

BTW, are you at liberty to say what the distribution was among the 3 Remarque options? (posted my remarque in the P&J thread)

Thanks,
Mike

Father Cody
09-04-2018, 07:37 PM
Things have just started to return to normal (if you can call it that) here at Suntup HQ. The last batch of GE orders shipped out today! All done.

Think you earned yourself a cold one, pal. Or 10 [emoji16]

zelig
09-04-2018, 08:31 PM

Think you earned yourself a cold one, pal. Or 10 [emoji16]

Had one already. Needed it after today.

Beverly Marsh
09-05-2018, 05:43 AM
I'm currently kicking myself for not grabbing an AE as well. Man the pics I've seen! It's absolutely stunning too! I think I'll keep an eye out and hopefully snag one down the line. It's too pretty not to have.

MikeDuke
09-05-2018, 05:53 AM
I think my GE is being shipped today. I am excited to get one.

WeDealInLead
09-05-2018, 06:01 AM
AE = GE? Or is that two different editions?

MikeDuke
09-05-2018, 06:14 AM
Sorry, Paul calls it the Artist Gift Edition. I just removed the artist part and just called it the Gift Ed. They are the same book.

Beverly Marsh
09-05-2018, 06:40 AM
I think my GE is being shipped today. I am excited to get one.

Congrats Mike! Glad you were able to get one of these!

dnemec
09-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Just got my Artist/Gift/Whatever Edition. Along with being gorgeous, that packaging is just amazing, Paul. I don't know what made you go for the foam, but even the evil USPS workers who have repeatedly destroyed my stuff couldn't touch this. Well done!

MikeDuke
09-05-2018, 07:02 AM
I think mine is going to be shipped out tomorrow.
And Thanks Beverly. I am looking forward to it.

RC65
09-05-2018, 07:53 AM
Mine arrived yesterday...I have to echo all earlier comments about the book -- and, heck, even the packaging -- being an incredible piece of craftsmanship that was clearly a labor of love.

Papaseraphim
09-05-2018, 09:25 AM
I would also like to pile on the praises.

Beautiful design (the Moser front-piece is a nice touch), well done.

Packed really well.

Congrats Paul!

ICry4Oy
09-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Got my AE/GE yesterday and DAAAAMN so pretty!!!

Reminds me of my GE of CD's IT in that the look and feel is truly as fine if not finer than most S/L's.

swintek
09-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Yep, Received my "Gift" edition the other day and it is instantly one of my favorites. Lovely details, and cover cloth! It also opens wonderfully and sits perfectly balanced and open in the hand. It's got all around good "Book Feel". I really appreciate that and notice when so many other editions do not. Nice job, Paul!

Father Cody
09-05-2018, 10:29 AM
I think it’s important to point out that it’s an “Artist Gift Edition,” so, we’re all wrong. [emoji16]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180905/f11aa3af21eb1cfe08a44e047670bb70.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180905/9775ec9aa37b81530460c6b26391e88d.jpg

MikeDuke
09-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Yea, I posted that up above. It's normally one or the other. I can't wait to get it.

Father Cody
09-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Yea, I posted that up above. It's normally one or the other. I can't wait to get it.

Missed that. Do we have a new classification then? If anyone can set a new one it’s SE, I’d think.

MikeDuke
09-05-2018, 10:59 AM
The collector has put some value info for Misery
http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/limited/misery.html
The prices seem pretty close to what I have been seeing. But if anybody else has other thoughts, of course, share them.

webstar1000
09-05-2018, 11:03 AM
The prices seem pretty close to what I have been seeing. But if anybody else has other thoughts, of course, share them.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. His lettered is pretty far off....

MikeDuke
09-05-2018, 11:16 AM

Got you. It's the only site I know I can go to and quick idea of how much a book might be worth. I know I can ask here also if I want.

HONKYTONKSMASH
09-05-2018, 11:30 AM

Just a bit....

DanHocker
09-05-2018, 11:35 AM
So we got our copies of the gift edition in today, and I had the strangest thing happen in all of my time handling books. I unwrapped the shrink wrap from one of our extra copies and slid the book out. Noticed there was something on the side of the book and brushed it away. I immdediately realized what I had brushed away was a spider web and shook it off my hand. The next thing I notice is a medium sized spider scurrying across the floor (which immediately got stomped). So there was a spider inside the shrinkwrap, inside the slipcase. That is something I have never had happen to me. No fault of Pauls, kinda funny actually.

The books look fantastic by the way.

MikeDuke
09-05-2018, 11:36 AM
Would you say his numbered and Artist Gift ed are closer to being accurate?

Father Cody
09-05-2018, 11:38 AM
So we got our copies of the gift edition in today, and I had the strangest thing happen in all of my time handling books. I unwrapped the shrink wrap from one of our extra copies and slid the book out. Noticed there was something on the side of the book and brushed it away. I immdediately realized what I had brushed away was a spider web and shook it off my hand. The next thing I notice is a medium sized spider scurrying across the floor (which immediately got stomped). So there was a spider inside the shrinkwrap, inside the slipcase. That is something I have never had happen to me. No fault of Pauls, kinda funny actually.

The mythical Spider Edition. Congrats!

webstar1000
09-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Number I think low but artist is bang on.

HONKYTONKSMASH
09-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Id say yeah on the artist/gift. I think his s/l guesstimates are still a shade on the low side although not egregious(high range wise).

racerx45
09-05-2018, 11:49 AM

So the gift edition has a spider bound variant …

Cook
09-05-2018, 11:51 AM

I think that's awesome !!
Well it's obviously a Stephen king book.... :ghost_002:
Hey Paul, how come mine didn't have one? That's really not fair.

PennyUnwise
09-05-2018, 11:51 AM

So the gift edition has a spider bound variant …

Darn.... a 1 of 1 copy.

I am announcing I am willing to trade my Misery S/L for a Spider Variant Misery Gift Edition.

Hunchback Jack
09-05-2018, 12:26 PM

Perhaps he's deliberately omitting the markup for rights. He's just talking about the book itself?

HBJ

webstar1000
09-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Perhaps he's deliberately omitting the markup for rights. He's just talking about the book itself?

HBJ

Rights follow book. And no other book.... so it’s a part of every equation. Until another one (hopefully) comes out. Then that ones has the rights.

Father Cody
09-05-2018, 12:38 PM

HBJ

Rights follow book. And no other book.... so it’s a part of every equation. Until another one (hopefully) comes out. Then that ones has the rights.

It seems like a reasonable assumption, though. Tomas has to know what they’re going for and, as for the numbered (not sure about lettered because I haven’t followed that as closely), $3000-$3500 kind of jives with what most have been saying the book is worth without rights. I get what you’re saying that it’s currently irrelevant but maybe Tomas is just preparing for the long term?

Hunchback Jack
09-05-2018, 01:00 PM

HBJ

Yes, I understand that you can't buy the book without the rights today, but perhaps he wants to avoid having to update the estimate if/when the next Suntup King S/L is announced. That is, he's stating the long term value of the book itself, discounting the value of the rights, specifically because the rights won't always remain with the book.

webstar1000
09-05-2018, 01:26 PM

HBJ

It seems like a reasonable assumption, though. Tomas has to know what they’re going for and, as for the numbered (not sure about lettered because I haven’t followed that as closely), $3000-$3500 kind of jives with what most have been saying the book is worth without rights. I get what you’re saying that it’s currently irrelevant but maybe Tomas is just preparing for the long term?

Perhaps... never know. Not hard to update his site though when prices settle at that time. Perhaps he isn’t sure? I don’t know. Lot of this is guessing as we all know.

stroppygoblin
09-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Lettered should be marked as ‘Street Price’ as per The Gunslinger page. Right now value is whatever an individual is prepared to pay given an opportunity to purchase.

webstar1000
09-05-2018, 02:17 PM
Lettered should be marked as ‘Street Price’ as per The Gunslinger page. Right now value is whatever an individual is prepared to pay given an opportunity to purchase.

Wouldn’t all books fall under this street pricing then? Haha

zelig
09-05-2018, 02:40 PM
THANK YOU everyone for the comments about the Artist Gift edition! Happy to hear that you are enjoying it, and the packaging!

Sorry if some of the comments/questions have already been stated ad nauseam already but I have been skimming and being careful reading this thread for the last 2 or 3 weeks since I didn't want to spoil all the surprises. In case there are still a few more people who haven't received theirs yet and they want it to be a surprise, I will put some of my comments/questions in spoilers.

Due to all the comments about the book, I spent more time examining the text then I normally would for a limited edition.

Really loved how you changed the chapter headings to look like type writter keys. Its fascinating to note, how the shift value for some of the numbers has changed compared to a modern computer keyboard.

I noticed that you were able to use the same "font" used for the letter's n,t,e in the original. I see that there were 3 or more variations for the letter n (not counting capital N).

I noticed that the "font" used for chapter 28 in book III was not the same as in the 1st/1st hardcover. How does this work regarding to custom fonts? Do you have to license them? Were they unwilling to give them to you, or did you feel a different font was better?

Loved the blood splatter on the page where the foot is chopped off. Were there other special effects like this that I missed?

Has there been any thoughts to a portfolio for the book? Would think it would be ironic if one wasn't done, since a previous portfolio was a requirement for early ordering and number matching for the numbered/lettered editions of this book.

As everyone else has stated (except one member), JOB WELL DONE!

BTW, are you at liberty to say what the distribution was among the 3 Remarque options? (posted my remarque in the P&J thread)

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I thought I'd answer your questions here.

"I noticed that you were able to use the same "font" used for the letter's n,t,e in the original. I see that there were 3 or more variations for the letter n (not counting capital N)."

By 'original' I'm assuming you mean the 1st edition? We did not match any fonts. The complete text was redesigned from scratch, and type was carefully selected based on the overall theme of the novel. And yes, there were multiple variations of handwritten fonts used. We started out with just one style, but it did not look unique enough for me, so we figured out a way to randomly disperse a selection of handwritten fonts across the Misery's Return manuscript pages. I'm pleased with the result.

So we were not trying to match the 1st edition interior design of the book. That is not something I would ever consider doing. This is a new edition of the novel, meaning we start fresh from a design standpoint. Aside from the exterior binding design, the interiors are super important, and we built that from the ground up. We began with a blank canvas, and designed from there. No need to get fonts from previous publishers. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, I like that spatter. We had to get just the right spatter design to work with the page. Also make sure that it doesn't cover too much of the text so that it isn't readable. Spent more time on that spatter than you would imagine! And yes, there is one other effect that I have not seen anyone mention yet.

Sure 49% Royal, 33% Axe, 18% Pig.

I'm so pleased someone found the spider variant!!! But seriously, I am amazed it survived that long in such tight quarters.

Ben Staad
09-05-2018, 02:57 PM
I envisioned a Far Side style comic with this scene. Spider with trailing web from book, landing on the floor, and yelling "Freedom!". While the foot is coming down on him.

firemonkey66
09-05-2018, 04:56 PM

HBJ

Perhaps... never know. Not hard to update his site though when prices settle at that time. Perhaps he isn’t sure? I don’t know. Lot of this is guessing as we all know.

I'm guessing that Tomas probably hasn't seen any of the lettered sales figures since none of them happened on ebay. He probably just took the lettered publication price and added a 50% premium for good measure.

firemonkey66
09-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Thanks, I like that spatter. We had to get just the right spatter design to work with the page. Also make sure that it doesn't cover too much of the text so that it isn't readable. Spent more time on that spatter than you would imagine! And yes, there is one other effect that I have not seen anyone mention yet.

Sounds like we need a Misery scavenger hunt to find the missing effect:)

webstar1000
09-05-2018, 05:06 PM

HBJ

I'm guessing that Tomas probably hasn't seen any of the lettered sales figures since none of them happened on ebay. He probably just took the lettered publication price and added a 50% premium for good measure.

Educated guess Yep... makes sense

amd013
09-05-2018, 05:26 PM

Just goes to show how well the book was packed if the spider lived.

becca69
09-05-2018, 05:49 PM

There have been photos posted but I don't know if anyone caught on. You have to look through all the pages. You will see it if you are paying attention ;)

amd013
09-05-2018, 07:31 PM

There have been photos posted but I don't know if anyone caught on. You have to look through all the pages. You will see it if you are paying attention ;)

Well I searched all the pages, and not sure I spotted what you are mentioning, but I did notice a few things.

First, I noticed that the art of the Ax on the opposite side of the Artist signature page appears to only be glued on on 2 sides (top and right). Is this intentional? Any recommendations on making sure it doesn't come off. Looks like it should be fine, but thought I would ask.

Second, I sure this has been mentioned before and is obvious, so doubt it what you are referring to, the text describing the book is in the shape of an ax, and some of the text is in red representing blood.

Third, I noticed in the section titled Paul (book III) that chapters 43-47, that the keys for the chapter are askew. Perhaps this is representing the struggle between Paul and Annie?

Brian861
09-05-2018, 07:41 PM
CD's and TDT's very own, Jeffingoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEcXLUVM0Do

lotuz
09-05-2018, 08:03 PM

this is glorious

zelig
09-05-2018, 08:14 PM

Well I searched all the pages, and not sure I spotted what you are mentioning, but I did notice a few things.

First, I noticed that the art of the Ax on the opposite side of the Artist signature page appears to only be glued on on 2 sides (top and right). Is this intentional? Any recommendations on making sure it doesn't come off. Looks like it should be fine, but thought I would ask.

Second, I sure this has been mentioned before and is obvious, so doubt it what you are referring to, the text describing the book is in the shape of an ax, and some of the text is in red representing blood.

Third, I noticed in the section titled Paul (book III) that chapters 43-47, that the keys for the chapter are askew. Perhaps this is representing the struggle between Paul and Annie?

Good question. Yes, the way the frontispiece print is tipped onto the page is intentional. That is the correct way to do it, along the right long edge, and at the top left corner. It shouldn't come off. Unless you pull on it of course. I had many a discussion about this, and pretty much every element of the book's design has been discussed at great length during production. You'd be surprised as to how much discussion took place about every part of this book!

Yep, the text describing the book is what we'd call the colophon, and I have seen that mentioned before.

Lastly, you are correct my man about the skewed keys. That is what I was referring to earlier that I had not seen mentioned. During the fight scene with Annie and Paul, when Paul hits her with the Royal, we set the chapter numbers askew to represent the damaged typewriter, and the drama of the scene in general. They straighten again when the scene is over.

firemonkey66
09-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Lastly, you are correct my man about the skewed keys. That is what I was referring to earlier that I had not seen mentioned. During the fight scene with Annie and Paul, when Paul hits her with the Royal, we set the chapter numbers askew to represent the damaged typewriter, and the drama of the scene in general. They straighten again when the scene is over.

That was a fast scavenger hunt! I didn't even get to look at my copy:) Nice observation, amd013. Give that man a prize!

Father Cody
09-05-2018, 10:44 PM

this is glorious

That’s Jeffingoff?? I knew I liked that guy! Agreed, lotuz, it’s glorious.

Father Cody
09-05-2018, 10:50 PM

That was a fast scavenger hunt! I didn't even get to look at my copy:) Nice observation, amd013. Give that man a prize!

Are these things in the Artist Gift Edition as well? I’m seriously considering breaking my promise to myself to read King chronologically and jump ahead to Misery. Reading it with these Easter eggs seems like such a unique experience.

jeffingoff
09-06-2018, 03:08 AM

this is glorious

Thanks guys. It was not the unboxing Paul deserved. Once the unboxing begins, it's best to watch with the sound muted.

MikeDuke
09-06-2018, 05:37 AM
Hopefully today I get the shipping notice.

Father Cody
09-06-2018, 05:58 AM

When did you order it?

MikeDuke
09-06-2018, 06:00 AM

Thanks for doing an unboxing of the gift ed. I got one as well. It does look very impressive. I bought mine third party. But it does look like
a great book so thanks again for showing what the book looks like.

MikeDuke
09-06-2018, 06:03 AM

When did you order it?
9/1. I think the guy got the books yesterday and was going to start shipping today.

Hunchback Jack
09-06-2018, 08:01 AM
My Artist Gift edition arrived yesterday. What more can be said? A wonderful edition. The key motif on the red boards, reminiscent of the lettered edition theme, is a really nice touch. Nice to see that most of the interior design elements of the Numbered edition are in the Gift edition.

This will be the copy of Misery that I will read next.

HBJ

dnemec
09-06-2018, 08:41 AM
I got my "schwag" box today and it included much more than I thought it would. Every touch with this book was excellent. I hope I can afford (and get on the list) for the next S/L. The artist/gift edition of Misery is glorious in and of itself - I can't imagine what it'd be like to own that one! Amazing work, Paul and Suntup!

MikeDuke
09-06-2018, 08:56 AM
I got my "schwag" box today and it included much more than I thought it would. Every touch with this book was excellent. I hope I can afford (and get on the list) for the next S/L. The artist/gift edition of Misery is glorious in and of itself - I can't imagine what it'd be like to own that one! Amazing work, Paul and Suntup!
Congrats
First I waiting impatiently for my Misery. Then I am waiting very impatiently for Dec so I can have the S\L HHH in my collection. I also can't wait for the next announcement.

St. Troy
09-06-2018, 09:27 AM
...I also can't wait for the next announcement.

What is the time frame for the next announcement? After HHH ships, something like that? I seem to recall that some vague guideline to when it might happen was given before, certainly nothing specific, but something based on other things already happening.

MikeDuke
09-06-2018, 09:33 AM
...I also can't wait for the next announcement.

What is the time frame for the next announcement? After HHH ships, something like that? I seem to recall that some vague guideline to when it might happen was given before, certainly nothing specific, but something based on other things already happening.
I will only say that it will be before HHH ships. Unless someone else knows who wants to share. But I don't think we will have to wait until Dec to find out :wink:.

ICry4Oy
09-06-2018, 10:04 AM

this is glorious

Thanks guys. It was not the unboxing Paul deserved. Once the unboxing begins, it's best to watch with the sound muted.

Nice pigsticker!

Beverly Marsh
09-06-2018, 10:27 AM

I swear I am the least observant person on the planet as I noticed none of these things. I've always said if I were to get mugged the person wouldn't need to wear a mask because I wouldn't remember a thing about them. I also haven't looked through the book too much in fears of damaging it even a teensy bit but when I get home I will be looking into all of this!

Congrats all on your AGE's! As in artist gift edition not your age :evil: I will need to pick one of these up as well. It's frickin beautiful!

Beverly Marsh
09-06-2018, 10:35 AM

this is glorious

Now that I know what you look like(and if I remember! see above :) ) I'll say hi if we happen to be in CO at the same time!

jeffingoff
09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Now that I know what you look like(and if I remember! see above :) ) I'll say hi if we happen to be in CO at the same time!

And I'll have to say hi to everyone since I don't know what you look like. :D

biomieg
09-06-2018, 11:30 AM
Anyone got a shipping notice from George Beahm yet (I didn't)? I never buy anything off eBay anymore and for some reason I feel as if something's bound to go wrong... (not blaming George here but 'The System').

FlyerPhan0826
09-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Anyone got a shipping notice from George Beahm yet (I didn't)? I never buy anything off eBay anymore and for some reason I feel as if something's bound to go wrong... (not blaming George here but 'The System').I have not received anything yet

MikeDuke
09-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Anyone got a shipping notice from George Beahm yet (I didn't)? I never buy anything off eBay anymore and for some reason I feel as if something's bound to go wrong... (not blaming George here but 'The System').
Nope. The last email I got said that "We expect to have the books on hand on Wednesday and I will be shipping them out immediately and providing tracking numbers at that time. Best, George"
This was Wed "They’ve showed up locally at the Post Office’s distribution center, so the local postman will have them tomorrow for delivery. So, no worries!" That would be Thurs (today)
I think they should have been shipped out today. I really hope tomorrow.
EDIT: I just emailed him and he emailed immediately:
"USPS said delivery today when they shipped, and I checked online and the books are headed from Washington DC to me here in Virginia a couple of hours away. So they’ll be here sometime tomorrow, and if they arrive early, I can get them out the door by the end of the day."

DanHocker
09-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Nope. The last email I got said that "We expect to have the books on hand on Wednesday and I will be shipping them out immediately and providing tracking numbers at that time. Best, George"
This was Wed "They’ve showed up locally at the Post Office’s distribution center, so the local postman will have them tomorrow for delivery. So, no worries!" That would be Thurs (today)
I think they should have been shipped out today. I really hope tomorrow.
EDIT: I just emailed him and he emailed immediately:
"USPS said delivery today when they shipped, and I checked online and the books are headed from Washington DC to me here in Virginia a couple of hours away. So they’ll be here sometime tomorrow, and if they arrive early, I can get them out the door by the end of the day."

Gotta love the USPS. They're so reliable...