PDA

View Full Version : Do you read your signed Limited books

amd013
01-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Sorry if there is already a thread like this. Feel free to merge if so.

So, i've got several Signed Limiteds that I got from CD via grab bags and the like, also a few that I bought individually. Many of these books are books I would probably never buy, but I hate having this nice books and not read them. I could buy reading copies (if possible), but like I said many of these are books I would not normally buy. Many of these are probably "PC" copies.

Given that they were bundled in a grab bag, many of these probably never will be valuable, so there is probably no risk in reading them.

Here is a list:

From grab bags and not read:

Dinner With the Cannibal Sisters by Douglas Clegg (signed and limited to 1000, but no number)
Bad Dog by Tom Piccirilli (signed and limited to 750, but no number)
Night of the Triffids by Simon Clark (signed and limited to 1000 but no number)
Language of Fear by Del James (Signed Limited, but there is no limitation/signature page)
Backshot by Ed Gorman (signed limited to 750, but no number)
The Angels by Rio Youers (signed 742/750)
Bastion by Simon Clark (signed 708/250)
Salome by Mick Garris (signed 372/750)
Fangoria Cover to Cover 35 years of the World's Most Popular Horror Magazine (signed limited, but no limitation page or signatures)

Here are a few more from grab bags that I have actually already read this copy of:

Amazonas by Alan Peter Ryan (signed limited to 1000, but no number)
Backshot by Tom Piccirilli (signed (initialled actually), limited to 1000 but no number)

Here is a list I bought individually:

Cemetery Dance Joe Hill Special Issue #74/75 (signed 82/600)
The Fireman by Joe Hill (trade edition with signed bookplate from CD (limited to 1500)
Better Weird by various Signed 454/750
Darkness Wispers by Richard Chizmar and Brian James Freeman (signed 92/500)

There are still more on the way:

Early Readers review copy bundle
Shivers VIII
Dark Screams
Haven by Tom Deady
Shining in the Dark
In Sunlight or in Shadow

(BTW, if any of the above besides Haven has been released already, let me know as I haven't received them)

So which of these would you a) read b) not read at all c) buy a reading copy and read that one d) get a library card and borrow it from library?

Of course I am more interested in general what is your threshold in "worth" for you not to read a limited edition.

Thanks,
Mike

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-11-2017, 01:44 AM
Grab bag books are ones that do not sell well, so go ahead and read them. Then pass them on to someone else to read.

webstar1000
01-11-2017, 05:02 AM
no

Theli
01-11-2017, 06:29 AM
I read some s/l books, but I never take them out of the house. I'd say my threshold is probably roughly $100. Most often I will buy a reader copy if I don't already have one.

By value alone I would say most of the books on your list would be "safe" to read.

mikeC
01-11-2017, 06:40 AM
If I haven't read it before, yes.

WeDealInLead
01-11-2017, 08:08 AM
I read some s/l books, but I never take them out of the house. I'd say my threshold is probably roughly $100. Most often I will buy a reader copy if I don't already have one.

By value alone I would say most of the books on your list would be "safe" to read.

+1.

I don't read King S/Ls because by the time they normally get published I've already read them. I do flip through them. I like to feel the fine paper, look at illustrations, check out the different fonts etc. It's like...if you had a Bentley, would you really never drive it?

Ben Mears
01-11-2017, 10:17 AM
I don't have many but those that I do own have been read; some multiple times.

HONKYTONKSMASH
01-11-2017, 10:59 AM
No to King S/L(I'll gander at them but definitely not full-on read them). Yes to most everything else

amd013
01-11-2017, 01:31 PM
regarding King S/L, I wouldn't read those, but some have bonus material, and I sometimes read that. For Salem's Lot I see there are a lot of deleted scenes. I haven't read those (yet), since it has been about 35 years since I last read Salem's Lot, so I think I would miss the context. I am thinking about rereading SL at some point (paperback), and then reading the bonus material, while the story is still fresh.

Then there is the upcoming Shining with the Before the Play and After the Play bonus material. I went ahead and ordered 2 copies of the gift edition, so I could use one to read.

Theli
01-11-2017, 01:41 PM
regarding King S/L, I wouldn't read those, but some have bonus material, and I sometimes read that. For Salem's Lot I see there are a lot of deleted scenes. I haven't read those (yet), since it has been about 35 years since I last read Salem's Lot, so I think I would miss the context. I am thinking about rereading SL at some point (paperback), and then reading the bonus material, while the story is still fresh.

Then there is the upcoming Shining with the Before the Play and After the Play bonus material. I went ahead and ordered 2 copies of the gift edition, so I could use one to read.

Wise thinking for The Shining! As for 'Salem's Lot, I believe the material in the CD version is the same as the CP version. Which means the trade hardcover illustrated version will have the bonus features if you don't want to read either of those two gift editions.

HONKYTONKSMASH
01-11-2017, 01:59 PM

Haha, I also ordered two (one for looking at a little closer) :thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
01-11-2017, 02:25 PM
I'm sure John Hanic would chime in that the S/L of The Eyes of the Dragon preceded the trade hardback by 2+ years. Not known at the time, but the S/L had(s) numerous differences from the trade 1st.
That was a book to be read carefully. Hands clean of dirt, and oils, book never opened more than 90 degrees etc.

amd013
01-11-2017, 02:52 PM
I'm sure John Hanic would chime in that the S/L of The Eyes of the Dragon preceded the trade hardback by 2+ years. Not known at the time, but the S/L had(s) numerous differences from the trade 1st.
That was a book to be read carefully. Hands clean of dirt, and oils, book never opened more than 90 degrees etc.

In this case, I don't think I would bother reading the limited to find the differences (at this point I wouldn't recognize them). Although I guess it must have been quite the dilemma during that 2 year period. But that does remind me that I still need to figure a way to safely read (and I mean that literally LOL) Knowing Darkness.

Thanks Theili on the heads up on Salem's Lot.

DoctorZaius
01-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Do we even need a thread for this? God no!!!

St. Troy
01-11-2017, 06:24 PM
That was a book to be read carefully...book never opened more than 90 degrees etc.

I'm sure I'm the only one here that doesn't know, but may I ask why?

Ben Mears
01-12-2017, 04:09 AM
That was a book to be read carefully...book never opened more than 90 degrees etc.

Spine

wizardsrainbow
01-12-2017, 04:21 AM
Never in life

Ben Mears
01-12-2017, 05:16 AM
I read 'Salem's Lot annually and since 2005 have been able to enjoy the truly pleasurable experience of doing so with the Centipede Press deluxe limited edition. The design, craftmanship and feel of the paper texture enhances the enjoyment of reading my all-time favorite book.

jsmcmullen92
01-12-2017, 06:21 AM

Has anyone ever done a comparison of the 2 stories? I have seen the differences between the 2 gunslingers but not that book. I would be interested if it was already out there.

St. Troy
01-12-2017, 06:29 AM

Spine

What specifically was the problem? Brittle, etc.?

Random TEOTD digression: for years I'd seen the pics of the Philtrum Press edition, and although it seemed nice, it never wowed me - but then I actually saw one (two, actually) in person at a book fair last October, and man, that is an impressive book.

Randall Flagg
01-12-2017, 06:33 AM

Spine

What specifically was the problem? Brittle, etc.?

Random TEOTD digression: for years I'd seen the pics of the Philtrum Press edition, and although it seemed nice, it never wowed me - but then I actually saw one (two, actually) in person at a book fair last October, and man, that is an impressive book.

Splaying open a book multiple times will wear the spine.
You definitely don't want to open a valuable book like this:

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/PG8AAOSwjDZYdxvP/s-l225.jpg

Theli
01-12-2017, 06:35 AM
Especially if the pages are glued and not sewn. That's just asking for disaster.

St. Troy
01-12-2017, 06:37 AM
Splaying open a book multiple times will wear the spine.
You definitely don't want to open a valuable book like this:

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/PG8AAOSwjDZYdxvP/s-l225.jpg

OK; I thought your post (a few posts back) meant this particular edition couldn't handle going beyond 90 degrees at all (either defective or made from a material that wasn't book-quality).

Cook
01-14-2017, 09:51 AM
No, I do not.

Tommy
01-14-2017, 09:57 AM
The first collectible book I bought was the gift edition of Full Dark, No Stars. I read that one (very carefully) and loved the experience as opposed to say reading the trade hardback. It does add something to the enjoyment factor I believe. Almost a naughty, luxury kind of thing if that makes any sense. I haven't done that with any other King limiteds but with other authors, yes but those are either purchased at a discount or are reading copies to start with.

NeedfulKings
01-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Consderations:

Value of the book
Is a reading version (trade, ebook, etc.) readily available

If I do read it, the mylar and dust jacket stay on, I don't crack it more than 90 degrees, and likely don't take it from the house. Never had an issue. Most of these are small press and books I don't plan to sell.

Br!an
01-16-2017, 03:37 PM
I'm a bibliophile.

I like to at least browse through them. I will occasionally completely read a S/L. I sit in a comfortable chair with good lighting and relax.

I love collecting. I love reading. I love holding a well made book.

I am mindful of the value of the book I'm reading. I wash my hands and refrain from eating, drinking, smoking or whatever.

I don't over-open a book. However, most recent S/L are Smyth Sewn and can be laid flat without damaging the spine.

I've never damaged a collectible book by reading it.

NeedfulKings
01-16-2017, 05:30 PM
I love collecting. I love reading. I love holding a well made book.

This reason alone is why I do handle (and sometimes read) limited edition books. The look and feel of a well made book is just so damn sexy! :)

I own only one book that is still in unopened shrinkwrap - an ARC of Wizard and Glass. Only because I'm too lazy to open it. Any S/L I buy will always be opened to verify signature, admire the binding, etc.

Ben Eads
06-18-2020, 07:53 PM
Sorry if there is already a thread like this. Feel free to merge if so.

So, i've got several Signed Limiteds that I got from CD via grab bags and the like, also a few that I bought individually. Many of these books are books I would probably never buy, but I hate having this nice books and not read them. I could buy reading copies (if possible), but like I said many of these are books I would not normally buy. Many of these are probably "PC" copies.

Given that they were bundled in a grab bag, many of these probably never will be valuable, so there is probably no risk in reading them.

Here is a list:

From grab bags and not read:

Dinner With the Cannibal Sisters by Douglas Clegg (signed and limited to 1000, but no number)
Bad Dog by Tom Piccirilli (signed and limited to 750, but no number)
Night of the Triffids by Simon Clark (signed and limited to 1000 but no number)
Language of Fear by Del James (Signed Limited, but there is no limitation/signature page)
Backshot by Ed Gorman (signed limited to 750, but no number)
The Angels by Rio Youers (signed 742/750)
Bastion by Simon Clark (signed 708/250)
Salome by Mick Garris (signed 372/750)
Fangoria Cover to Cover 35 years of the World's Most Popular Horror Magazine (signed limited, but no limitation page or signatures)

Here are a few more from grab bags that I have actually already read this copy of:

Amazonas by Alan Peter Ryan (signed limited to 1000, but no number)
Backshot by Tom Piccirilli (signed (initialled actually), limited to 1000 but no number)

Here is a list I bought individually:

Cemetery Dance Joe Hill Special Issue #74/75 (signed 82/600)
The Fireman by Joe Hill (trade edition with signed bookplate from CD (limited to 1500)
Better Weird by various Signed 454/750
Darkness Wispers by Richard Chizmar and Brian James Freeman (signed 92/500)

There are still more on the way:

Early Readers review copy bundle
Shivers VIII
Dark Screams
Haven by Tom Deady
Shining in the Dark
In Sunlight or in Shadow

(BTW, if any of the above besides Haven has been released already, let me know as I haven't received them)

So which of these would you a) read b) not read at all c) buy a reading copy and read that one d) get a library card and borrow it from library?

Of course I am more interested in general what is your threshold in "worth" for you not to read a limited edition.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm with you. If I don't care about the book, I'll read it.

OldCrow88
06-20-2020, 06:42 PM
I wonder...in the end, how many of the Suntup Lettered edition books will actually be opened and read? For a given title, less than 5? 5-10? Or more?

burgerhicks80
06-20-2020, 08:36 PM
not a chance

kingfan2323
06-20-2020, 08:51 PM
I wonder...in the end, how many of the Suntup Lettered edition books will actually be opened and read? For a given title, less than 5? 5-10? Or more?
I would guess not a single Suntup Lettered edition has been read EVER.

seeking: anything DT related #246

webstar1000
06-21-2020, 02:53 PM

I read one!

kingfan2323
06-21-2020, 02:56 PM

I read one!Wow! Cover to cover?

wizardsrainbow
06-21-2020, 04:00 PM
not ever

webstar1000
06-22-2020, 04:50 AM

yes. I won't do it again. Too stressful. I have read more than one numbered and all the gifts/artists though.

kingfan2323
06-22-2020, 07:05 AM

yes. I won't do it again. Too stressful. I have read more than one numbered and all the gifts/artists though.That's pretty cool. Should not be stressful. Curl up with a cup of coffee, powdered donut, and bowl of cranberries. Relaxing. Stomach ache and decimated book.

Ben Mears
06-22-2020, 08:13 AM
I have two rules for signed/limited books: 1) I read each and every one and appreciate the workmanship while doing so and 2) I only purchase them if a trade edition of some sort already resides in my personal library. It's all about the story; if I don't like a book enough to already own it there is no way I will pay a premium for a pretty package. That's like buying artwork for the frame.

swintek
06-25-2020, 07:14 PM
I have two rules for signed/limited books: 1) I read each and every one and appreciate the workmanship while doing so and 2) I only purchase them if a trade edition of some sort already resides in my personal library. It's all about the story; if I don't like a book enough to already own it there is no way I will pay a premium for a pretty package. That's like buying artwork for the frame.

100% agree! If you're not reading them- you're probably "speculating" them. That's fine, but- then the real "loss" is already inherent (in your copy) in my opinion.

OldCrow88
06-26-2020, 02:33 AM
My confession: I'm on the Suntup lettered track and (though I haven't yet started) I intend to sit and read every one. I will care for them, but I will pull them off the shelf, open them, and enjoy them in-hand. Then, when the time is right, I will pass them on to my son. Who I hope will pass them on to his children.

swintek
06-30-2020, 07:06 PM
My confession: I'm on the Suntup lettered track and (though I haven't yet started) I intend to sit and read every one. I will care for them, but I will pull them off the shelf, open them, and enjoy them in-hand. Then, when the time is right, I will pass them on to my son. Who I hope will pass them on to his children.

Reputation sent!